OCEAN MACHINE: BIOMECH

3. Night (4:45)
4. Hide Nowhere (5:00)
5. Sister (2:48)
6. 3 A.M. (1:56)
7. Voices in the Fan (4:39)
8. Greetings (2:53)
9. Regulator (5:06)
10. Funeral (8:05)
11. Bastard (10:17)
a) Not One of My Better Days
b) The Girl from Blue City
12. The Death of Music (12:15)
13. Thing Beyond Things (Bonus track) (4:47)

Search DEVIN TOWNSEND Ocean Machine: Biomech lyrics

Search DEVIN TOWNSEND Ocean Machine: Biomech tabs

- Devin Townsend / vocals, guitars, programming
- Marty Chapman / drums
- JR Harder / bass

HevyDevy Records / Sony

and to LiquidEternity for the last updates

DEVIN TOWNSEND MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DEVIN TOWNSEND Ocean Machine: Biomech Music

PLASTIC HEAD AMERICA 2011
Vinyl$12.69
SynchestraSynchestra
Inside Out U.S. 2006
DEVIN TOWNSEND / physicist /JAPAN LTD CD OBI bonus track US $9.99 Buy It Now 54m 26s
Devin Townsend - Accelerated Evolution 2 LP Vinyl Record LP US $34.19 Buy It Now 2h 55m
Infinity - Devin Townsend US $12.80 Buy It Now 4h 56m
Various: Sin-atra cd, 12 tracks, Devin Townsend, Glenn Hughes, Ritchie Kotzen US $3.99 Buy It Now 7h 8m
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT-EPICLOUD-JAPAN 2 CD BONUS TRACK H75 zd US $36.99 Buy It Now 10h 23m
TEN WAYS FROM SUNDAY What I Wanted CD Dave Young Devin Townsend Prod. Hard Rock US $8.99 Buy It Now 10h 29m
Ziltoid the Omniscient by Devin Townsend *New CD* US $18.27 Buy It Now 1 day
Accelerated Evolution by Devin Townsend/Devin... *New CD* US $17.04 Buy It Now 1 day
Accelerated Evolution by Devin Townsend/Devin Townsend Band *New CD* US $14.03 Buy It Now 1 day
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT Lucky Animals Truth VINYL 10" ep NEW! RSD 2013 US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
* Devin Townsend - Terria 2CDs [Sealed] US $19.47 Buy It Now 1 day
AVENGED SEVENFOLD Metal Hammer Mag July 14+CD Devin Townsend Arch Enemy Manowar US $5.69 [0 bids]
Steve Vai Sex & Religion Cassette Tape 1993 Relativity 1132-4 And Devin Townsend US $6.29 Buy It Now 1 day
DEVIN TOWNSEND - EPICLOUD (DLX) (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $22.43 Buy It Now 1 day
Devin Townsend Project - Accelerated Evolution [ 2XLP, Colored Vinyl, NEW ] US $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Devin Townsend - Physicist [ 2XLP, Colored Vinyl, Back on Black, IMPORT NEW ] US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Epicloud by Devin Townsend/Devin Townsend Project... *New CD* US $13.10 Buy It Now 1 day
STRAPPING YOUNG LAD - Self-titled Korean CD w/ Slipcase, Booklet DEVIN TOWNSEND US $13.99 [0 bids]
DEVIN TOWNSEND / strapping../JAPAN LTD CD OBI bonus track US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Terria by Devin Townsend *New CD* US $15.05 Buy It Now 2 days
DARKEST HOUR- Deliver Us CD (Promo 11 Track Album) Devin Townsend PRODUCER US $7.50 Buy It Now 2 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND / NO SLEEP TILL BEDTIME LIVE JAPAN CD OOP W/OBI +1B/T US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
STRAPPING YOUNG LAD - CITY - Yellow Vinyl /200 - New Unplayed SYL Devin Townsend US $38.90 [0 bids]
Accelerated Evolution [Bonus CD] [Digipak] [Limited] by Devin Townsend/Devin Tow US $19.99 [0 bids]
The Retinal Circus [Box] by Devin Townsend Project (CD 2013, 4 Discs, SEALED US $17.05 Buy It Now 2 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND / CHE AIMEE DORVAL-CASUALTIES OF COOL-JAPAN 2 CD G88 zd US $33.50 Buy It Now 2 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT-Z2-JAPAN 2 CD G88 zd US $33.50 Buy It Now 2 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND - ACCELERATED EVOLUTION - BONUS CD (LTD) NEW CD US $25.68 Buy It Now 2 days
Ocean Machine by Devin Townsend (CD, Sep-2004, Inside Out) US $14.99 [0 bids]
DEVIN TOWNSEND/DEVIN - DECONSTRUCTION [SLIPCASE] - NEW CD BOXSET US $21.85 Buy It Now 2 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND**PHYSICIST (LIMITED/180G)**LP US $21.22 Buy It Now 2 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND Terria single disc edition brand new prog metal US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
PAIN - Lot of 2 CDs - see pics... Hypocrisy Abyss Devin Townsend US $15.00 [0 bids]
STEVE VAI - SEX & RELIGION +1 bonus track, 1993 JAPAN CD W/OBI. DEVIN TOWNSEND US $17.59 Buy It Now 2 days
CD/Japan- DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND Accelerated Evolution w/OBI RARE SICP-396 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Devin Townsend Project - Epicloud - 506032 US $20.13 Buy It Now 3 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND/DEVIN - DECONSTRUCTION [DEVIN TOWNSEND/DEVIN TOWNSEND - NEW CD US $11.56 Buy It Now 3 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND - Terria CD - 2001 US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND - DevLab CD US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND - The Hummer CD US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND - Ass-Sordid Demos 1990-1996 CD US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND - Infinity EP/Christeen + 4 demos CD US $10.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND - Physicist CD - 2000 US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND - Ziltoid the Omniscient US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND - Ziltoid the Omniscient Special Edition US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND - Accelerated Evolution CD - 2001 US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND - Synchestra CD/DVD edition - 2006 US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - Epicloud/Epiclouder digipack edition CD - 2012 US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND Project - Addicted CD 2009 US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND Project - Deconstruction CD 2009 US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND Project - Ghost CD 2011 US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND Project - Ki CD 2011 US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND/Ocean Machine - Biomech CD - 1997 US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND - PHYSICIST (IMPORT) NEW CD US $34.65 Buy It Now 3 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND - ZILTOID THE OMNISCIENT: ZILTOID IS HERE TO TAKE NEW CD US $31.78 Buy It Now 3 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND - ACCELERATED EVOLUTION NEW CD US $21.36 Buy It Now 3 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - Epicloud:T-shirt - NEW - XLARGE ONLY US $26.32 Buy It Now 3 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - Epicloud:T-shirt - NEW - MEDIUM ONLY US $26.32 Buy It Now 3 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - Epicloud:T-shirt - NEW - SMALL ONLY US $26.32 Buy It Now 3 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND & CHE AIMEE DORVAL - CASUALTIES OF COOL - CD - NEW US $18.66 Buy It Now 4 days
Devin Townsend - Presents: Ziltoid The Omniscient [CD New] US $24.98 Buy It Now 4 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND - ZILTOID THE OMNISCIENT [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD BOXSET US $21.97 Buy It Now 4 days
Steve Vai Sex & Religion Tape NEW 1993 Devin Townsend TM Stevens Zappa Alcatrazz US $13.95 Buy It Now 4 days
Devin Townsend Epicloud Poster US $0.89 [4 bids]
Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction US $3.99 [0 bids]
STRAPPING YOUNG LAD - CITY - Yellow Vinyl /200 - New Unplayed SYL Devin Townsend US $38.90 Buy It Now 4 days
Ziltoid the Omniscient by Devin Townsend *New CD* US $11.71 Buy It Now 4 days
Ghost by Devin Townsend/Devin Townsend Project *New CD* US $9.72 Buy It Now 4 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT: ADDICTED (2009) NEW CD US $26.42 Buy It Now 4 days
Addicted by Devin Townsend *New CD* US $10.74 Buy It Now 4 days
Epicloud by Devin Townsend/Devin Townsend Project *New CD* US $9.31 Buy It Now 4 days
Ki by Devin Townsend/Devin Townsend Project *New CD* US $11.61 Buy It Now 4 days
Infinity by Devin Townsend *New CD* US $11.26 Buy It Now 4 days
Deconstruction by Devin Townsend/Devin Townsend Project *New CD* US $12.74 Buy It Now 4 days
The Retinal Circus by Devin Townsend Project *New CD* US $19.02 Buy It Now 4 days
Devin Townsend UK Cuttings Clippings Articles Set US $3.65 [0 bids]
DEVIN TOWNSEND - SYNCHESTRA NEW CD US $21.71 Buy It Now 5 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND**RETINAL CIRCUS**CD US $15.50 Buy It Now 5 days
Infinity by Devin Townsend (CD, May-2001, Hevydevy R... US $27.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Devin Townsend Project - Ki (NEW 2 x 12" VINYL LP) US $29.63 Buy It Now 6 days
Devin Townsend Project - Epicloud (NEW CD) US $19.88 Buy It Now 6 days
Devin Townsend Band - Accelerated Evolution (NEW 2 x 12" VINYL LP) US $29.22 Buy It Now 6 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - DECONSTRUCTION CD $2.99 S&H US $14.49 Buy It Now 6 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT 45 RPM 7" BLUE GREY VINYL RECORD THE CALM THE STORM US $49.99 Buy It Now 6 days
December "The Lament Configuration" CD - DEVIN TOWNSEND US $11.35 Buy It Now 6 days
Disperse - Living Mirrors CD New Periphery Tesseract Devin Townsend US $13.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Devin Townsend Project - Epicloud Dlx (2cd) (2012) - New - Compact Disc US $13.74 Buy It Now 6 days
The Devin Townsend Band - Accelereated Evolution CD US $11.35 [0 bids]
Devin Townsend Project LUCKY ANIMALS Limited Edition NEW SEALED 10" Vinyl EP US $15.99 Buy It Now 6 days
SYNCHESTRA BY DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND (CD) US $21.99 Buy It Now 6 days
RARE PROMOTIONAL BAG Black Tote Purse Metal CD Devin Townsend Ronnie James Dio US $10.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Fear Factory & Devin Townsend Project. The Epic Industrialist Tour Poster Plakat US $16.23 [0 bids]
Devin Townsend Project - Retinal Circus W/ DVD Dig CD US $28.08 Buy It Now 7 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND - PHYSICIST [DEVIN TOWNSEND] [693723413723] - NEW CD US $15.52 Buy It Now 7 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND Epicloud 2 CD (1 Bonus Track) Korea GATHERING US $15.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Synchestra by Devin Townsend/Devin Townsend Band *New CD* US $12.50 Buy It Now 7 days
Devin Townsend Presents Ziltoid The Omniscient CD RARE Promo Prog Heavy Metal US $4.95 [0 bids]
STEVE VAI Sex & Religion'93 1st Press Poster Whitesnake CD Devin Townsend US $5.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Devin Townsend Project - Ki [ 2XLP, Colored Vinyl, Back on Black, IMPORT NEW ] US $35.99 Buy It Now 7 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - Deconstruction:T-shirt - NEW - XXLARGE ONLY US $26.32 Buy It Now 7 days

More places to buy DEVIN TOWNSEND music online Buy DEVIN TOWNSEND & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DEVIN TOWNSEND DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DEVIN TOWNSEND Ocean Machine: Biomech ratings distribution

DEVIN TOWNSEND Ocean Machine: Biomech reviews

Review by FishyMonkey
4 stars WTF. Every time I've bought a DTB album, I've come in saying it can't possibly beat the one I had heard previously. First AE...I was blown away...Terria couldn't beat it, could it? Well, it did. Then this, could it beat Terria? Well...no, not quite, and Infinity didn't beat it either, but both of these albums are so close to perfection (perfection being Terria) it's astonishing. Devin Townsend is one of the musical geniuses of our time, right up with Mikael Akerfeldt, Steve Wilson, Daniel Gildenlow, and Robert Fripp (who still kicks ass).

This album is different from the rest of his though...the wall of sound isn't quite as prominent on this one. Instead, we get some of the goddamn best melodies and songwriting I've ever seen in my life...only a couple songs off AE (Storm, Deadhead, Suicide) beat anything off this album in terms of melody and songwriting. It also is the best...off-world experience of any of his albums. I mean, Infinity feels like an amazing acid trip, and Terria feels like you're wandering through golden plains of joy and happiness. But this album...it's truly like another world. Songs like The Death of Music, Regulator, Voices in the Fan, Bastard, 3 AM, and Seventh Wave let you drift off into another fascinating world. You feel like you are being guided by a tour person through the world of music. I can't describe it...just like I can't describe what happens when I put in any other of Devy's albums. It's just amazing.

We kick off the album with Seventh Wave, which has a great opening riff. This song just kicks major amounts of ass in all ways. Vocals are only ok by Devin's standards, which are ridiculously high. The next song is Life, which is by far and large the happiest and most infectingly catchy song ever written by Devin. It's got an amazing chorus and great high- spirited singing. I love listening to this song on a bad day, it helps me cheer up. Night is a pretty solid song, but not up to par with the last two songs. I definitely enjoy the song, however, and never skip it.

Hide Nowhere also has an amazing melody throughout it, and this if just a fun song to listen to. Sister is a stranger one...it's very mellow and laid back, but doesn't really go anywhere. That's ok, we needed a break in between the amazingness. 3 AM is a fairly strange one too, mostly a surreal little trip focusing on subtle sounds and samples much like Terria. Voices in the Fan comes back to the way of the first four songs with an infectuous chorus and great riffing throughout. Greetings is an upbeat happy little song that continues in the trend of the other songs on the album. I like it.

Regulator is another crazy good track with some excellent singing by Devy. The chorus is great and has some awesome keyboard works. Plus, I love the yells by Devy in the beginning. Funeral begins the set of longer tracks on the album...it's pretty laid back and relaxing. I like this song because it's just great to zone out to. Bastard is the second long song, and the second longest on the album. It's pretty epic, although it doesn't drastically change throughout. It's just got really good riffing, good drumming, and a solid vocal performance. I guess you could say this is basically a preview of AE.

If I told you a 12 minute song with a fixed electronic drum beat that never changes with little...possibly even NO guitar was an excellent track, would you believe me? Of course not. Yet somehow The Death of Music is one of the best tracks in the album. Just lay down on the bed or at night or something and put this track on...it'll be a crazy trip. This song is also one of Devin's best vocal performances EVER, possibly the best. The song sounds kind of faded, like the music is...well, dying. This track is by far one of the most daring and original tracks I've heard in years.

The final track is Things Beyond Things, and I have little to say besides that it is extremely beautiful and the last...uhmm, 14 seconds are quite interesting.

So that's it. This man...can do no wrong. Every track on here is surreal, every one infectuous, every one with excellent vocal performances and keyboards and samples and trippiness and ambience and guitar work and songwriting and coherence and DAMMIT! This is such a good album...ANOTHER amazing album from Devin Townsend. Please, keep making albums.

In conclusion, the straight forward rockers on this song (well...not straight forward...at all, but you know what I mean) are excellent, while the softer stuff, while usually excellent ,sometimes is bad.

Musicianship - 10/10 Originality - 10/10 Lasting Appeal - 9/10 Variety - 8/10 Metal sections - 9/10 Light sections - 7/10 Seventh Wave - 9/10 Life - 10/10 Night - 8/10 Hide Nowhere - 9.5/10 3 A.M. - 6/10 Voices in the Fan - 10/10 Greetings - 8/10 Regulator - 10/10 Funeral - 9/10 Bastard - 9/10 The Death of Music - 10/10 Things Beyond Things - 7/10

Math: 157.5 / 18 = 8.75 = 4.375 = 4.4 Final Score: 4.4/5 Almost a must-have. I perfectly agree with the outcome of my scores, and I did it naturally, so yay.

Send comments to FishyMonkey (BETA) | Report this review (#53241) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 24, 2005

Review by The Crow
4 stars I think this is a very good poing of entry in the Devin's career for the first listeners... Maybe not his best, but it's a very good example of what he's able to do, and a very accesible work.

In the beginning of the Devin Townsend career, he had very different projects... Strapping Young Lad was not a band yet, but with the outcome of "City" this thing changed. He had just made another side project called Punky Bruster. And Ocean Machine was born not like his solo career, it was bor like another new band, a new project. This band/project was called Ocean Machine, and the album was called "Biomech". His second project was called Infinity, but not with his name. Only "Infinity". But when he signed with Inside Out, he adopted his own name for this two re-released albums: Devin Townsend "Ocean Machine: Biomech", and Devin Townsend "Infinity".

For all taht, I think we can't say that Ocean Machine is the first solo album by Devin Townsend, because before of it came "Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing" by SYL and the project Punky Bruster, two albums that were made almost completely by Devin.

But I think it's the first Devin's album when he started to developing his very own style. Here we can hear a very good advance of the great things to come. Pop- Metal songs with a lot of feeling like Life (with a great chorus), Night (a very catchy song, a little more in the 80's heavy way), Voices in The Fan and Funeral (the best singing of the album, I think). And we also have the strong progressive songs with a lot of capacity to evoke magic and powerful feelings like Seveth Wave (good song for open an album), Hide Nowhere (great vocal choirs, a Devin's trademark), Greetings (I love the guitar opening) and Bastard (the ending is just great). But we also have some examples of the Devin's love to the atmosferic and ambient tracks, but little inmature yet, like Sister (a song with a kind of link with "Terria") and 3AM, two songs that don't do very much for me. Nevertheless, The Death Of Music is just great, with different passages and a incredible vocal work by Devin. Finally, I think that the only "real" metal example of the album is Regulator, a fantastic song with powerful riffing with a little relation with the Strapping Young Lad sound.

So this is a fantastic album, but not a masterpiece in my opinion, because some ideas are still a little inmature, and the production isn't also very good. This album was mastered and completed in Spain, my country. But I think the production is weak sometimes, with a sound not very clear in some passages, and I miss power in the drums and bass too. But at least it's still sounding good and modern today, 9 years after the release of the album.

Conclusion: a fantastic album, very enjoyable by prog lovers, but I think that metal heads will also find very good things here, although nothing in comparision with the Strapping Young Lad's offering or others Devin's solo albums...

Send comments to The Crow (BETA) | Report this review (#69934) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 19, 2006

Review by 1800iareyay
5 stars How? How can one man be so brilliant? This is the question that comes to my mind when I listen to anything spawned by the modern genius that is Devin Townsend. Ocean Machine arrives relatively early in Devin's career; he had only two Strapping Young Lad albums as well as the vicious pop punk satire Cooked on Phonics released under the brilliant name Punky Brüster. He decided to back off the extreme metal and instead focus on a softer sound. He formed a band and released one album: Biomech. The result was stunning.

The album opens with the riff-happy "Seventh Wave" that sets a gentle mood for the album. "Life" comes next and presents us with...pop metal? From SYL frontman Devin Townsend?! Yes, it is pop, but it's pop done perfect, with deep lyrics, catchy melodies, and emotion. "Night" is the first song that really moves the listener, but it certainly won't be the last. "Hide Nowhere" is a highlight of the album, with an excellent melody. It also establishes multi-layered vocals as a standard in Devin's work. "Sister" is a mellow instrumental interlude that sets the standard for instrumentals on later albums. "3 A.M." sounds like the beginnings of Terria with its bizarre sounds. "Greetings" shifts the sound back to atmospheric guitar and brings things back to Earth.

"Regulator" is a nod to the SYL fans that made up a huge portion of this album's audience. It isn't as extreme as SYL, but it's riff heavy and features some great screaming. "Funeral" raises the bar for the already wonderful atmosphere with surprisingly uplifting lyrics and instrumentation. It smoothly flows into "Bastard," which has a killer riff spaced out over a churning tempo in order to fill every crevice of your ears and mind.

Then comes my favorite Devin track. "The Death of Music" is a 12 minute opus consisting of only an electronic drum beat, a near-silent guitar that plays only one or two chords, and simple keyboards that expand to create the bulk of the sound. Devin's vocals here are his best, as he goes from growls to soaring cries effortlessly. The sound gradually fades as the music slowly passes from this world and leaves only contemplation in your mind. "The Death of Music" defies it's name by proving that music is stronger than ever, it's only in hiding. This song is one of the most experimental tracks of the 90s and can rival anything on Mr. Bungle's Disco Volante. "Things Beyond Things" closes the album with a simple riff and wonderful vocals. The last seconds, however, will scare the pants off you (I was told what to expect and I nearly wet myself).

Ocean Machine is a fitting name for this project. The music flows along like water in the sea, occasionally building to crashing waves, then giving back to almost disturbing calm. Devin's production job is amazing; if he never played an instrument, he could still thrive in music as the Phil Spector of metal. He retains all of the sound of SYL but substitutes speed and fury for experimentation and sublime beauty. Devin manages to transcend easy categorization; he seamlessly blends art rock. prog metal, avant-prog, and psychedelic rock into a 74 minute opus that would set the stage for his later triumphs like Terria.While not as stunning as that masterpiece, Biomech is a must own for fans of Devin and it's a wonderful place to start for the uninitiated.

Grade: A-

Send comments to 1800iareyay (BETA) | Report this review (#118072) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Review by TRoTZ
4 stars Strapping Young Lad's guitarist leader embarked on a solo career with the enigmatic "Ocean Machine", an album of encompassing, thrilling atmospheres in which pop, metal, progressive metal, trash and nuances of electronic blended together in a very balanced way. This atmosphere somewhat recreated the best from the 80's decade: from the mainstream heavy metal scene to the dark atmospheres of The Cure or the frantic energy of Queen. To his virtuous and somewhat prolific guitar work in the vein of Steve Vai or Joe Satriani, Devin Towsend added his inspired gift for creating remarkable melodies and outstanding choruses, while his dynamic voice and obtuse lyrics gave the album the necessary melodic profoundness.

The album evolutes in a very fluent way, from the compellingly ambiance of the four first tracks, the peace/turbulence of the middle tracks, to end in the dark "Bastard" and the epic "The Death of Music", in which the background simple electronic drum creates a psychic pattern permitting the growth of a crescendo disturbingly intense manifest.

While not making at all a music revolution, Devin Townsend manage to create a unique blend of styles which would create an impressive cult scene among the metal fan base.

Send comments to TRoTZ (BETA) | Report this review (#120654) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 03, 2007

Review by Prog Leviathan
3 stars Like everything DT has ever worked on, "Ocean Machine" is very good; however, it is undeniably inconsistent when compared to his later releases, lacking a certain power which usually strikes the listener early on even during its first play through. "Ocean Machine" will impress, but not until it takes a while to sink in, and even then it won't make as big an impact as "Terria", "Synchestra", etc. I suppose one could say that it must be taken more as a whole, rather than by specific highlights, but the forward momentum of the album, as well as its lack of energy or dynamism, make it a somewhat bland affair. I recommend this highly to fans who have already discovered DT through his stronger albums though, who will still find a lot to enjoy here.

Songwriting 3 Instrumental Performances 3 Lyrics/Vocals 3 Style/Emotion/Replay 3

Send comments to Prog Leviathan (BETA) | Report this review (#137921) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Review by UMUR
3 stars Iīve been a fan of Devin Townsend since his collaboration with Steve Vai on the Sex & Religion album. The first time I heard Devin sing I knew he was something special. I have followed his career ever since. Iīm a big fan of his work with Strapping Young Lad and I absolutely love his latest album Ziltoid the Omniscient. I have never been a big fan of his solo albums though, but I have started to listen to them again from start to see If I was wrong the first time round.

Ocean Machine is an album full of heavy metal tunes with full symphonic keyboard backup and of course Devinīs diverse singing on top. Anyone who has heard Devinīs work knows what I mean when I say full symphonic keyboard backup. Devin ( yes he also produces his own ( and other bandīs) albums) has made it his trademark to slap you in the face with a symphonic wall of sound which also includes the extensive use of samples. Itīs actually a very ambient sound. I canīt think of any other band that sounds more innovative in the heavy metal world than Devin. The man is always on the forefront of new things.

This debut solo album from Devin is actually very nice and listenable far from his more aggressive outbursts in Strapping Young Lad. There are some really beautiful moments on the album, but I do get a little tired towards the end. Itīs a very long album and I donīt think the songs are especially memorable which means the songs blend together. This is of course negative and the reason why I will only give the album 3 stars. I miss variation, so I can remember the songs better.

The sound quality is extremely good as on every album Devin Townsend has produced, the man is a genious behind the mixing pult.

All in all this is a very nice start to his solo career even though itīs not excellent in my book.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#159368) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 20, 2008

Review by LiquidEternity
4 stars Devin Townsend has a terrifically solid history of solo albums, and they start with Ocean Machine: Biomech.

Here we find the main man of Strapping Young Lad dropping the explosively and violently angry act and picking up the threads of delicacy and melody. That is not to say, though, that this album doesn't have heavy or angry moments. Rather, this album reaches a wonderful balance, a creative flow that makes sense within itself. Each song fits into the whole, and almost every song stands well on its own (Sister and 3 AM being the exceptions to the latter). The sound on the whole is amazing, though not perfect. It's a nice foretaste of what the Mad Scientist of Metal will end up cooking in his solo works, and all you could want from the man is here.

Devin has an interesting idea of turning heavy riffs into rhythm to mellow music. Some might find that heavy and thick wall of sound to oppress the music, but to me it couldn't be more perfect. The band backing him up this time around is not featuring a drummer who can kick holes in Superman (contrary to his usual), so that lends a much more rock sound than a metal one. The wall of sound sometimes does not require guitars, though, and the point in case of that is the technical album clincher, The Death of Music. It's dense and powerful, built mostly around a simplistic computerized rhythm and lush tidal waves of synthesizers and keyboard.

The most fascinating and entertaining aspect of Devin, however, is his voice. On Strapping Young Lad albums, we find the man screaming and roaring and growling and making whatever else noises that you can call those things. On Ocean Machine, Devin drops the wild metal act almost entirely, depending on his underrated clean voice (one of my favorite voices in almost any genre). He does yell some, such as in Regulator, but it's very melodic. The aforementioned track The Death of Music happens to be built around some of his highest quality vocal parts ever recorded. The man sings like the entire world is dying around him, hurling his voice like a final embrace. The very quality of his performance here seems to make the title a paradox, as he proves that music is indeed not dead, and here's why.

But this album is much stronger than simply single songs. Instead, the flow and steadiness of this album add power to each successive track. Suddenly, the wall of sound is supporting some sort of oniric psychedelia, basing spacey sighs on steel girders. Hard to explain, I do suppose. Let's just say his music is almost entirely unique, his vocal harmonies spot on, and the musicianship just right. It's not perfect, and a few moments drop the ball somewhat. It's hard to hold that view, though, after listening to it, because the final four tracks or so are so expertly produced that it's hard to remember what exactly wasn't as amazing for you in the first place.

If you are a fan of metal looking for something with a bit more musical depth, a fan of lush and full music looking for something a bit heavier, or a fan of a songwriter who likes to stick a lot of personality and creativity into his music, look here. A good place to start with Devin and one of his strongest albums.

Send comments to LiquidEternity (BETA) | Report this review (#184307) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Review by Negoba
5 stars Gorgeous, Brilliant, Perfect.....I guess I like it

Devin Townsend is a once in a generation talent and the fact that he's my generation only enhances my love of his work. I'm sure the fact that he grew up with the same backdrop of musical culture contributes to the fact that his music really connects with me. Or perhaps it's just that good. When I put on the earphones and listen to Ocean Machine, I get lost in another world. The beautiful thing is the music is actually uplifting, energizing, and colorful. So much of the post metal scene is cold, depressed, or angry. Though Devy certainly taps on those emotions, his music never seems depressing. It's full of energy, invigorating.

Ocean Machine, I believe, was the first time Devy created the (relatively) softer, multi-layered, semi- ambient sound that now has become his trademark. His modally tuned guitar was already heard on Strapping Young Lad, but the fully range of tone color really wasn't expressed until this project. Townsend worked on this for some time, writing some of the material as far back as his stint with Steve Vai. The result is nearly flawless, and the few tripups are minor at worst (The nasty surprise at the end, the ambient effects being just a little too loud on "Sister", etc.).

The songs flow seamlessly one to another, despite running from aggressive metal to pure ambient keys to near a cappella voice to pop. The pop is usually what loses my interest on Devy albums, but here the instrumentation is so good (like the back beat riff on "Life") that the major melodicism doesn't bother me. The flow and sequencing is phenomenal, the entire album seeming like a continuous experience. The songs are still distinct, with varied feels in the guitar, vocal tonalities, and use of keys.

This has been a review I've put off a long time, because I don't have much to say other than "It's awesome." The later Terria has better production, hit higher highs of brilliance, but doesn't flow as perfectly start to finish. This is the one to lose yourself in, eyes closed, laying back with good headphones. It's just beautiful metal-based art music, a masterpiece.

Send comments to Negoba (BETA) | Report this review (#212749) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Review by horsewithteeth11
4 stars Devin Townsend is a musical genius in every sense of the word as far as I'm concerned. I've never heard anyone else in the metal world be able to make music that's so heavy but also so atmospheric. And I also love the spacey effect that he manages to bring in as well. Be it Strapping Young Lad, The Devin Townsend Band, or his solo work, Heavy Devy always brings so much creativity and life into his work. I could probably recommend at least one of his albums to every type of music fan out there. He's really got a wide variety of music out there.

Alright, now that I'm done gushing over him, let's take a look at his first solo album. Townsend released this after the first two Strapping Young Lad albums and the Cooked on Phonics album were already under his belt. The music is very serene and atmospheric, almost like the cover suggests, except with lots of heaviness and crunchy riffs added here and there. Although there is a good mix of songs present on OM - B. On one hand, you have riff-driven songs like the opener, "Seventh Wave", and then the next moment you have the pop-metal (if there was such a term) presented in "Life". Throw in a few epics at the end of the album in "Bastard" and "The Death of Music" and you've got an album that's as experimental as progressive metal and Devy can bring but diversified in style.

There are only two things that keep me from calling this album a masterpiece. The first is that I wish the songs "Sister", "3 A.M.", and "Greetings" hadn't been so close to each other on the album. Each of the 3 songs is short enough that they feel more like long transitions than actual songs to me. The second is that the epics feel like they take too long to build for me, and I think Townsend went on to make better longer songs later in his career. For some reason my mind tends to wander on both the songs sometimes, especially on the intro for "The Death of Music". But all in all, this is a fantastic record by Townsend. Although everything I've heard from him so far sounds amazing to me. 4 stars for a fantastic solo debut. I'd recommend this to those who like their metal to have a lot of personality, depth, and creativity to it. This is a good place to start with the solo career of Devin Townsend.

Send comments to horsewithteeth11 (BETA) | Report this review (#222222) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 21, 2009

4 stars This is a difficult album to write about really, I don't have any reference points to offer you either. It starts off with four tracks that are powerful, energetic, melodic and catchy, then we get flooded with samples, atmosphere and emotion the rest of the way. Yes we still get these heavy, powerful tunes but the mood has changed. In fact from that fifth track ("Sister") to the final song "The Death Of Music" it's pretty much perfect. I can't get over the production on this album either and the layers of sound, this is so epic. Many of these tracks seem to blend into one another as well which is cool.

"Seventh Wave" opens with someone quoting a poem then some heavy guitar kicks in which turns even heavier as the sound gets fuller.The tempo picks up up then the vocals join in. Hell yeah ! The tempo continues to shift. Great sound 5 minutes in and I like the atmosphere to end it. Excellent track. "Life" is the only ordinary track on here in my opinion. I know many who list this as their favourite but it's too commercial sounding and upbeat. Still a good song though and I understand how it fits in. "Night" opens with guitar as a full sound kicks in quickly and the tempo picks up. Vocals join in. This rocks out pretty good. "Hide Nowhere" is nice and heavy with a few screams from Devin. "Sister" is interesting as we get this noisy atmosphere with voices and other sounds as Devin comes in barely singing "Sister" as he strums his guitar.Thunder and crickets late. "3 AM" sounds like the start of a FLOYD track with the voices and atmosphere as spoken vocals come in. Emotion. "Voices In The Fan" has a catchy mid paced rhythm as the vocals join in with some passion. This is so good. A calm after 3 minutes then these operatic female and male vocals come in.

"Greetings" is guitar led as vocals join in. It turns more powerful. Nice. These last four tracks are freaking amazing. "Regulator" is heavy duty and vocals come in around a minute. Love how he screams "I'm regulated" again and again.The heaviest track on here. "Funeral" kicks in around a minute and the vocals come in after 2 minutes. I adore this song. Gulp. Nature sounds 6 minutes in as it settles. It turns powerful again. "Bastard" opens with atmosphere and percussion.This is a mechanical beast. Incredible ! "The Death Of Music" is more Electronic than Metal. A beat with atmosphere and sampled voices. Vocals after 2 minutes. Atmosphere and whispered vocals a minute later and they will come and go. So much tension when the vocals return. It's haunting at times as well. This has to be heard to be appreciated. The bonus track "Thing Beyond Things" is a nice addition. A laid back but powerful song.

I have to thank Negoba for convincing me to check this out. I feel like I should have listened more before reviewing this album because the further the album plays out the deeper it gets.Yeah, just like an ocean. 4.5 stars.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#359912) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Review by TheGazzardian
4 stars Devin Townsend has gained quite a lot of notoriety, both for his acclaimed solo career and for his work with his extreme metal band, Strapping Young Lad. This, his debut solo effort, was originally released under the name "Ocean Machine", with Biomech being the album name. It has since been integrated into his solo material proper, and now goes by the name "Ocean Machine: Biomech".

I am not very familiar with SYL, although what I heard sounded a bit too extreme for me at the time (which was about six years ago, so that might have changed by now). But the first time I ever heard a song by Devin Townsend, it blew me away so quickly I almost got whiplash. That song was Ants, off of Infinity, which for a long time was the only record by Devin Townsend I had heard.

In fact, I was somewhat afraid to explore his music too much further, afraid that the set of ingredients that made Infinity such a great album would never be duplicated. Eventually I did start collecting more of his music, and Ocean Machine is so far the best thing I have heard by the man since. That being said, it is also a very different beast than Infinity, and it is just as enjoyable as that album.

The music here is a lot more song oriented than Infinity, and the wall of sound that Devin uses in a lot of his work is for the most part missing. And what this reveals is an artist who can be expressive in many different ways, who has incredible song writing skills on top of the fact that he is quite a talented guitarist. In fact, Devin has quite an ear for perfection and recorded this album twice because he was not satisfied with it the first time. As a fan, I must say that it seems to have paid off - the music here sounds great!

It is a somewhat accessible album, with catchy riffs, sing-along choruses, something that must have confused quite a few fans of Strapping Young Lad at the time it was released. Although the metal exists here, it is not particularly extreme.

Devin also puts in an abundance of emotional, particularly towards the last section of the album, from Funeral forward. The Death of the Music is the absolute killer in this aspect (barring the random driving-range-in-the- sky bit at the end). I acquired this album shortly after finding out that Katie, my pet cat's surgery did not take, and that her cancer was likely going to kill her in the very near future. This was at a time in my life where a lot of other things had gone wrong and Katie was one of the few good things in my life that was left. I had lived with her since I was seven and she had been with me for a lot, so you can imagine how much that news effected me. The Death of the Music just seemed to express the way I felt perfectly ... there was a serenity to it but also a fragility and a fear, even a bit of selfishness (because it was evident at that point Katie was suffering, so I knew death would be release for her, it was more for myself that I was sorry she was dying).

"Don't die on me, Don't go away When I need you here In my need"

So simple, so effective, on top of it all this track shows that Devin also has a really good way with words.

Anyways, back to the album, this is definitely one of the better Devin albums I have heard thus far and a recommended addition to any collector of metal music, progressive music, or really rock music in general.

Send comments to TheGazzardian (BETA) | Report this review (#463124) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 16, 2011

Review by Warthur
3 stars Biomech was originally credited to Ocean Machine, a moniker for Devin Townsend's solo projects before he just applied his own name to them. Whatever name is applied to it, it's an intriguing brand of metal which unlike many prog metal releases focuses not on references to prog bands of the past but rather concentrates on presenting this light, shimmering wall of guitar which reminds me at points of the work of shoegaze bands such as My Bloody Valentine. Personally, I find the album gets a bit wearing after the first few minutes and lacks the variation or wit of later works by Townsend, but it's an interesting enough listen and by no means an embarrassing start to a solo career.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#627493) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 06, 2012

5 stars Besides a few songs from Terria, Ocean Machine was my first endeavor into the Bizarre World of Devin Townsend. This holds no bias though, as I honestly believe this debut is a masterpiece. I hold it higher than Terria, even. Recently, (a year back) I've become obsessed with the Mad Scientist of Meta ... (read more)

Report this review (#1175239) | Posted by Raccoon | Thursday, May 15, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Now for a slight history lesson. After the major success Devin had with Strapping Young Lad, releasing "City", which even to this day, is still considered one of the greatest metal albums ever made. Because Strapping Young Lad was pretty much a joke band and really wasn't what Devin wanted mus ... (read more)

Report this review (#1028985) | Posted by arcane-beautiful | Wednesday, September 04, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars 10/10 Ladies and gentlemen, meet Frank Zappa of metal. Devin Townsend is a genius. A genius! I think I have not gotten over the shock of hearing this album called Ocean Machine: Biomech, and I think he is the best thing I've heard in recent times, along with the debut of Hemin. Throughout ... (read more)

Report this review (#773440) | Posted by voliveira | Monday, June 18, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! (the scream at the end) What? We can't all quote something poetic and befitting the album in question, can we? what about an instrumental album, would you quote guitar tabs? I thought not. This album is the first solo release from Devin Townsend. It is a very ocean feel ... (read more)

Report this review (#212251) | Posted by Alitare | Friday, April 24, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Wonderful in its own way, this is only the start for Townsend. Seventh wave, Hide nowhere, and Regulator all show the promise that he was later to fulfil, but this album is weakened by the last three songs being overlong, taking up twenty minutes of the album without accomplishing too much. Not ... (read more)

Report this review (#155700) | Posted by La fraisne | Monday, December 17, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Devin's first album hasn't received nearly the kind of play on this forum that it probably deserves. In my opinion, OCEAN MACHINE - BIOMECH is a sneaky and overlooked gem. Sure, it doesn't boast the type of full-on grandeur of SYNCHESTRA or the beautiful coherence of TERRIA, but this album is ... (read more)

Report this review (#131949) | Posted by The Progmatist | Sunday, August 05, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Devin Townsend has made a name for himself through various projects, from his role as vocalist with guitar virtuoso Steve Vai to the scathing intensity of his most well known Strapping Young Lad project, as well as his solo experiments such as Infinity and Physicist. Ocean Machine is yet anoth ... (read more)

Report this review (#86109) | Posted by bleak | Monday, August 07, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars What an excelent album. I dont know where i heard of townsend, probably this site, but i downloaded the preview songs Hide nowhere and War anyway. Blown away. kinda. it took a while for it to sink in and when it finaly did, those 2 songs topped my playlist. so , where carrowsing borders i noti ... (read more)

Report this review (#56475) | Posted by Mikeypoo | Tuesday, November 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Out of the quetion that this is a great album, but as many debuts it suffers of slight defects and some compositions are a little bit ingenuous (Life, Night). Anyway HevyDevy Townsend gives us also some examples of brilliant genius (Funeral, Bastard). For everyone that have never listen to a D ... (read more)

Report this review (#18023) | Posted by | Tuesday, May 03, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars this album takes me somewhere, that is what a good album should do. it took me a while to see the brilliance behind this music - but honestly, it is more than just music. it is a feeling, a journey, another world. it is whatever you make it really. Devin truly has hit home with me here. The o ... (read more)

Report this review (#18021) | Posted by | Tuesday, March 29, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Devin Townsend. A true "misfit" in the realm of progressive metal (and I doubt it was ever his aim to be lumped into the genre, either). Many seem to dislike his inclusion for the lack of technically appeasing guitar solos or any intricate instrumental work, in my opinion he very much creates ... (read more)

Report this review (#18019) | Posted by | Tuesday, January 04, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The name speaks for itself. Yes, Devin Townsend's Ocean Machine explains what the album is. For a debut solo album, this release has the "maturity" of an album. The songs are great. The music is excellent. The compositions are perfect. It combines the high energy of metal and the psychedelic a ... (read more)

Report this review (#18018) | Posted by | Friday, December 10, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Due to the warning message that comes out when you select the five stars rate...I tought..."Is this really a masterpiece...?"...and the answer is: It cant be any other way!! Youīll now it qhen you hear this...theres nothing like it. Its extremely genius. Devin Townsend blew me away with the ult ... (read more)

Report this review (#18016) | Posted by Chewy | Monday, June 28, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DEVIN TOWNSEND "Ocean Machine: Biomech"