TOGETHER WE'RE STRANGER

Psychedelic/Space Rock

No-Man Together We're Stranger album cover

Buy NO-MAN Music
Studio Album, released in 2003

1. Together We're Stranger (8:31)
2. All The Blue Changes (7:48)
3. The City In A Hundred Ways (2:23)
4. Things I Want To Tell You (9:03)
5. Photographs In Black And White (10:03)
6. Back When You Were Beautiful (5:07)
7. The Break-up For Real (4:11)

Bonus track on TF18:

1. Tthe Break-up For Real (Drum Mix)

Search NO-MAN Together We're Stranger lyrics

- Ben Castle / clarinets
- Peter Chilvers / space-bass
- Roger Eno / harmonium
- David Picking / percussion, trumpet, sounds

CD K-Scope / Snapper Music SMACD867 (2003)
LP Tonefloat Records (2005)

and to Angelo for the last updates

NO-MAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NO-MAN Together We're Stranger Music

Love & EndingsLove & Endings
EMI Import 2012
Dry Cleaning RayDry Cleaning Ray
3rd Stone Records 2005
Ella Sings Songs from "Let No Man Write My Epitaph" [4/8] by Ella Fitzgerald... US $30.00 Buy It Now 1h 19m
YVETTE LANDRY - NO MAN'S LAND NEW CD US $28.90 Buy It Now 1h 46m
1978 Calypso Soca Barbados 45 Merchant Let No Man Judge Um-Ba-Yao Kalinda KD-562 US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 14m
1999 MARY J BLIGE Let No Man Put Asunder 12" SINGLE MCA RECORDS WL PROMO US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 24m
Non Credo-Reluctant Hosts German No Man's Land LP 1988 LAFMS Fat US $29.99 Buy It Now 3h 42m
Bus Boys-Lot of 2 Lps-American WorkerMoney Don't Make No Man /Bus Boys /R US $20.00 Buy It Now 4h 41m
SINEAD O'CONNOR NO MAN'S WOMAN (2000 US 1-track advance promo cd single)PRCD 30 US $5.00 Buy It Now 5h 20m
Fred Waring & His Pennsylvanians - No Man Is An Island - NOS - 1973 MCA SEALED US $6.00 Buy It Now 5h 41m
No Man Eyes-No Man Eyes - Hollow Man CD NEW US $15.15 Buy It Now 7h 10m
No Man Painting EP UK CD S Porcupine Tree Steven Wilson US $49.99 Buy It Now 10h 23m
Gerard Kenny(7" Vinyl)No Man's Land-Wea-YZ38-UK-VG/VG+ US $11.99 Buy It Now 10h 50m
Native Son(CD Album)No Man's Land-Red Steel-RMC CD 0194-UK-Very Good US $10.99 Buy It Now 15h 13m
Native Son(CD Album)No Man's Land-Red Steel-RMC CD 0194-Very Good US $10.99 Buy It Now 15h 13m
NO MAN'S LAND - DANIS TANOVIC - FULL LENGTH SCREENER-DVD US $0.99 [0 bids]
Bob Seger- Against The Wind / No Man's Land-45rp US $7.99 Buy It Now 15h 59m
No Man - Speak (NEW CD) US $15.35 Buy It Now 16h 40m
Together We're Stranger by No-Man (UK) (CD, May-2007, Snapper) US $4.50 [0 bids]
No-Man - Flowermouth (2005) CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $11.89 Buy It Now 16h 56m
No Man Is An Island-Rev. Milton Brunson BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED CD (1995, Hob) US $11.93 Buy It Now 17h 6m
How the West Was Won by No Man (US) (CD, Aug-1991, SST) US $4.50 [0 bids]
Porcupine Tree "Stars Die" 2cd Sealed [Steven Wilson No-Man Blackfield] US $16.19 Buy It Now 18h 43m
Gazpacho "Night" 2cd 2012 Sealed [for fans of Marillion, No-Man] [KSCOPE224X] US $16.59 Buy It Now 18h 43m
No-Man "Wild Opera" New 2cd (Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree) KSCOPE269 US $16.52 Buy It Now 18h 43m
Bass Communion "Loss" Rare 2disc set Sealed [Porcupine Tree Steven Wilson No-Man US $29.81 Buy It Now 18h 43m
Blackfield "Blackfield" Debut Sealed [Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree / No-Man] US $13.20 Buy It Now 18h 43m
Tim Bowness / Samuel Smiles "Live Archive 2" Dec 1999 session + 6 New [No-Man] US $21.57 Buy It Now 18h 43m
Porcupine Tree "Octane Twisted" 2012 2cd Sealed KSCOPE218 [Steven Wilson, No-Man US $18.25 Buy It Now 18h 43m
Henry Fool "Henry Fool" 2013 Sealed KSCOPE278 [Tim Bowness No-Man Steven Wilson] US $16.19 Buy It Now 18h 43m
Bass Communion "Molotov & Haze" Sealed [Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, No-Man] US $23.23 Buy It Now 18h 43m
Tim Bowness "Abandoned Dancehall Dreams" 2CD Digibook New [Steven Wilson No-Man] US $21.51 Buy It Now 18h 43m
Steven Wilson "Grace For Drowning" 2cd Sealed (Porcupine Tree No-Man Blackfield) US $15.76 Buy It Now 18h 43m
Tim Bowness / Samuel Smiles "Live Archive one" Sessions 1991-99 New [No-Man] US $21.57 Buy It Now 18h 43m
No Man "Together We're Stranger" 2008 cd/dvda sealed US $12.87 Buy It Now 18h 43m
NO -MAN - FLOWERMOUTH NEW CD US $26.60 Buy It Now 18h 46m
NO MAN'S LAND (Basil Poledouris) rare original factory sealed stereo lp! US $25.00 Buy It Now 18h 55m
(CD) SINEAD O'CONNOR - No Man's Woman / 3 Trk / Australia Import US $9.99 Buy It Now 19h 29m
No-man - Speak NEW CD US $12.01 Buy It Now 19h 31m
No-man - Together We're Stranger NEW CD US $12.01 Buy It Now 19h 34m
Souls Of Mischief / No Man's Land Cassette Tape 1996 US $12.00 Buy It Now 20h 38m
Rock SST LP WHAMON EXPRESS No Man on SST US $8.00 Buy It Now 20h 53m
VIVIENNE 45 - ALL OVER AGAIN / NO MAN - RARE VIP US $6.99 Buy It Now 21h 35m
THE LIMELITERS-No Man Is An Island/RCA 47-8361/wlp promo/1964 Folk/Pop-45rpm US $8.94 [0 bids]
(CN99) Beverley Knight, No Man's Land - 2007 DJ CD US $4.97 Buy It Now 22h
The Rose of No Man's Land by Jack Caddigan & James A. Brennan 1918 Sheet Music US $4.50 [0 bids]
Billy Joel - No Man's Land - All About Soul - Lot of two (2) cd singles US $1.99 [0 bids]
Hidden Art Sampler CD... No Man, Tim Bowness, Bass Communion, Cipher... US $20.00 [0 bids]
NO-MAN**WILD OPERA**2 CD SET US $11.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Ella Fitzgerald Let No Man Write My Epitaph Classic LP Sealed US $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CHARLIE PEACOCK - NO MAN'S LAND NEW CD US $17.77 Buy It Now 1 day
CASSETTE TAPE BILLY JOEL THE RIVER OF DREAMS NO MAN'S LAND SINGLE* 1993 OOP RARE US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
JOHNNY MATHIS - EVERY STEP OF THE WAY // NO MAN CAN STAND ALONE - 45 MINT- US $3.75 [0 bids]
TANYA TUCKER Would You Lay With Me / No Man's Land 45 US $9.31 Buy It Now 1 day
No Man's Land David Holmes 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) UK GODX133 GO DISCS US $20.68 Buy It Now 1 day
2 og Chicano rap cds lil robs crazy life and Spanish fly trust no man US $5.99 [0 bids]
Danny Scholl - No Man Is An Island 45 Vg Autographed US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
TEST PRESSING* Warp 9 - No Man Is An Island *ITALO DISCO* Crazy RARE!! 1984 US $12.74 Buy It Now 1 day
Flowermouth - No-man New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $18.58 Buy It Now 1 day
M-3 CD Roger Miller & brothers MIssion of Burma sealed new Sproton Layer No Man US $2.99 [0 bids]
No Man CD How The West Was Won sealed new US SST Mission of Burma Roger Miller US $2.99 [0 bids]
A SEPARATE REALITY let no man put asunder 7" 2 track (hard1) pic slv - hard disc US $8.29 Buy It Now 1 day
2.2 No Man / First Klass 12" Blu Inc 1996 US $16.59 Buy It Now 1 day
NO-MAN (UK) - FLOWERMOUTH - NEW CD US $15.87 Buy It Now 1 day
Star Trek Televison Soundtrack 1985 Cassette Tape The Cage Where No Man Has Gone US $7.80 Buy It Now 1 day
No-Man - Flowermouth [CD New] US $18.85 Buy It Now 1 day
Bus Boys - Money Don't Make No Man (1988 Voss/Allegiance Records) Used Vinyl LP US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
BEVERLEY KNIGHT - NO MAN'S LAND - 2007 UK CD SINGLE US $3.30 Buy It Now 1 day
WILMA BURGESS- MISTY BLUE / AINT GOT NO MAN US $15.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Alexander Courage Star Trek - "The Cage" And "Where No Man Has Gone Before" LP US $19.91 Buy It Now 1 day
WARP~NO MAN IS AN ISLAND~PRISM ELECTRO FUNK CLASSIC 12" *NM PROMO WHITE LABEL* US $4.99 [0 bids]
No-Man - Dry Cleaning Ray [CD New] US $18.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Ester James No Man is Above the Law Faith 501 Vinyl Lp N/Mint US $11.98 Buy It Now 1 day
90'S 45 Billy Joel - The River Of Dreams / No Man'S Land On Columbia US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
BILLY JOEL No man's Land PROMO DJ CD Single w/LYRICS 93 US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LENE LOVICH, NO MAN'S LAND - LP US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Henry Fool - Men Singing (CD 2013) No-Man/Roxy Music US $1.64 [1 bids]
NO -MAN - DRY CLEANING RAY NEW CD US $25.07 Buy It Now 1 day
NO MAN EYES - HOLLOW MAN - NEW CD US $12.14 Buy It Now 1 day
NO-MAN - Speak *LP 180g on Tonefloat* STEVEN WILSON Porcupine TREE US $44.95 Buy It Now 1 day
NO-MAN - Schoolyard Ghosts *2LP 180g on Tonefloat* STEVEN WILSON Porcupine TREE US $49.95 Buy It Now 1 day
NO-MAN - Returning Jesus *3LP 180gsm on Tonefloat* STEVEN WILSON Porcupine TREE US $54.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Time and Tide Wait For No Man MUSIC CD US $8.33 Buy It Now 1 day
Pop Promo Nm! 45 Sergio Franchi - No Man Is An Island / No Man Is An Island On M US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Billy Joel - No Man's Land - Scarce UK/ European 3trk CD US $8.29 Buy It Now 1 day
FIRST CHOICE Let No Man Put Asunder *PROMO* S. Pettibone + F. Knuckles Rmx HEAR US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LENE LOVICH, No-Man's-Land, EPIC US $1.99 [0 bids]
BOB SEGER AGAINST THE WIND//NO MAN'S LAND USA PRESSING EX- US $13.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Don Cornell No Man Is An Island / All At Once 7" 45 rpm Coral 9-61253 VG+ US $2.90 Buy It Now 1 day
1963 Johnny Mathis Every Step Of The Way / No Man Can Stand Alone 45 rpm NM US $2.90 Buy It Now 1 day
SINEAD O'CONNOR - NO MAN'S WOMAN 1-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD SINGLE CS285 # US $0.99 [0 bids]
LENE LOVICH NO MANS LAND NO-MAN'S-LAND ARE 38399 STIFF EPIC RECORD LP VINYL COVE US $1.99 [0 bids]
Soul 45 Johnny Mathis - No Man Can Stand Alone / Every Step Of The Way On Columb US $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
HEVIA-TIERRA DE NADIE/NO MAN'S LAND-ADVANCE PROMO CD-RARE-CELTIC-Bagpipes-1999 US $3.50 Buy It Now 2 days
Johnny Mathis 45 rpm Every Step Of the Way & No Man Can Stand Alone Columbia US $9.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Times Waits for No Man No Time to Play - No Turn Around US $12.98 Buy It Now 2 days
LP REGGAE: BLACKA RANKS No Man Government 1994 LEGENDARY RECORDS ** LISTEN ** US $9.95 [0 bids]
Trust No Man by Spanish F.L.Y. (CD, Apr-1996, Familia Records) US $2.99 [0 bids]
Billy Joel - No Man's Land (special radio CD) US $19.79 Buy It Now 2 days
First Choice Let No Man Vinyl 12" WBMX Disco Chicago House Music New York Garage US $3.99 [0 bids]
First Choice Let No Man Vinyl 12 WBMX Disco Acapella House Music New York Garage US $3.99 [0 bids]
No-Man - Schoolyard Ghosts 180gm 2x12' White Marbled Vinyl LP + 7" Vinyl Single US $44.76 [0 bids]

More places to buy NO-MAN music online Buy NO-MAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NO-MAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NO-MAN Together We're Stranger ratings distribution

NO-MAN Together We're Stranger reviews

Review by loserboy
4 stars I have a few NO-MAN albums in my collection and still wonder why these guys have not been talked about a whole lot more. "Together We're Stranger" is another fantastic slow paced dream-like symphonic beauty. NO-MAN is the collaboration of PORCUPINE TREE's Steven Wilson and life long pal Tim Bowness who seem to have some sort of a unique musical chemistry when working together. Gone from this album is even a trace of the early dance beat tendencies with all energy on this album spent in the depth and mood creations. I must tell you that this album is one of my albums from 2004 that "blew me away" and I have played this CD to death. Hard to exactly peg this album but I would say is somewhat reminiscent of the slow instrumental transcendental aspects of PORCUPINE TREE. As usual there are a host of other guest musicians who help shape this rather delicate album including Roger Eno on harmonium. Essentially a great album to mellow out to and a perfect album for the cottage life.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#40168) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, July 24, 2005

Review by greenback
3 stars This melancholic record is very hard to classify: while often being very ambient, linear and hypnotic, it is not very progressive, and it contains psychedelic and spacy textures. It sounds a bit like Radiohead's "Treefingers" and the mellow moments of Porcupine Tree. The rhythm is VERY slow, and the miscellaneous very ethereal electric guitar loops and keyboards slightly remind me David Torn's work with Mark Isham (Castalia) and David Sylvian (Secret of the beehive), Robert Fripp's ethereal work with Brian Eno and David Sylvian, David Helpling, Pink Floyd circa "Division Bell", or even Terje Rypdal. The soundscapes are very original and unique. There are some good & serious piano on a couples of tracks. The bad thing is the lead vocals: they have an unpleasant, depressive, cheap & gross tone belonging to bands like Porcupine Tree, Riverside and Opeth: the lead vocals partly kill the good elements provided by the guitars and the keyboards: I try to concentrate on the rest of the instruments in order to give a proper evaluation.

This record truly has great soundscapes, especially on the first track "Together we're strangers". "The city in a hundred ways" contains strange clarinet textures and ethereal floating keyboards in the background: it is interesting but it has to not last too long. "Things I want to tell you" contains excellent lush & echoed acoustic guitars with ethereal floating keyboards in the background. The folkier "Back when you were beautiful" and "Break-up for real" remind me the most melancholic parts of Barclay James Harvest and Pink Floyd. Radiohead should take a lesson from No Man: the electronic album "Kid A" has nothing memorable compared to this record! Finally, this is a good record that many young people should like.

Rating: 3.5 stars

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#61482) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 23, 2005

5 stars It took me a long time (too long) for me to appreciate this album. It was hard to get past how slow moving and ambient it is.The atmosphere is so thick, and the lyrics so well done that when I finally came around I was left in awe of what they've done.

The title track has so much atmosphere as Tim sings slowly. "All The Blue Changes" has a little more life instrumentally but not not vocally. Incredible sound 3 1/2 minutes in that doesn't start to let up until around the 6 minute mark. "The City In A Hundred Ways" is a short track with horns and again lots of atmosphere. It blends into "Things I Want To Tell You". Acoustic guitar comes in and then the vocals. So much spacey atmosphere here as well.

"Photographs In Black And White" opens with strummed guitar and spacey sounds as vocals come in. Emotional lyrics. And talking about emotion check out my favourite track "Back When You Were Beautiful". It's cool that Stephen Bennett is playing organ on this one. He is an important part of the HENRY FOOL band that Tim Bowness sings on. "The Break-Up For Real" could be on a PORCUPINE TREE album. Strummed guitar and vocals lead the way. Steven's backup vocals are great. Piano is a nice touch too. Again the lyrics are moving.

A solid 4 stars and no doubt one of their best yet.

Edit 10/29/10 Wow it's been over 4 years since I reviewed this album. I originally gave it 3 stars but bumped it up to 4 stars and here I am giving it the full blown stars ! It's almost shocking how much atmosphere is on this disc. It overwhelmes me and the emotion is right at the surface when listening to this album. Wondrous simply wondrous.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#89866) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 17, 2006

Review by Prog Leviathan
4 stars "Together We're Stranger" is No-Man's deepest, most soulful, and enjoyable album to date-- focusing entirely on delicate ambience and intricate song writing; it is the only one of their albums I heartily recommend to fans coming from outside the genre, and will unfailingly impress any going in with an open mind.

First, the recording quality is top-notch, allowing the listener to be swept away by the rich atmospheres. The songs themselves are lyrically smarter than anything else they've done, and Browness' vocals positively ooze class-- his best yet. Moreover, Wilson's signature guitar is much stronger and his soundscapes more vibrant, despite their melancholy tone. The songs do have their (slightly) upbeat sections, but are as a whole slow and sullen-- very enjoyable. Ben Coleman is sadly absent, but the album does have an enjoyable bit of clarinet work to add a rarely heard sound to things.

An amazing listening experience for those ready for it.

Songwriting: 4 Instrumental Performances: 3 Lyrics/Vocals: 4 Style/Emotion/Replay: 5

Send comments to Prog Leviathan (BETA) | Report this review (#140688) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Review by russellk
5 stars Heartbreakingly sensational. NO-MAN finally put music and lyrics together to perfectly sum up the end of a relationship using some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard. Why on earth isn't this band more widely known?

So how good is this? I'm a huge PORCUPINE TREE fan, but this is better than anything in the PT catalogue. I'm a fan of ambient music, and this ranks as my favourite album in that broad genre. And I've loved PINK FLOYD since I was a young teen, and I have no hesitation in saying this is right up there with WISH YOU WERE HERE.

But before I go any further, a warning. This album has none of the immediacy of a PORCUPINE TREE album. There's very little that impresses itself on you at first listen. Ambient music is about the listener actively interacting with the music: you have to put something in. You can't sit back and expect the music to work wonders, and you most certainly can't put it on as background. It requires your active attention.

The first four tracks form an indivisible ambient suite nearly half an hour long. The opener is comparable to 'Flowermouth's 'Angel Caught in the Beauty Trap'. A drill-like opening gives way to an impossibly dreamy soundscape. BOWNESS's voice is more direct here than I've heard in nearly a decade: his delivery is still breathy and matter-of-fact, but there's a tautness speaking of suppressed emotion. I can't help thinking of TALK TALK as this track unfolds, of 'Spirit of Eden'. 'All The Blue Changes' - well, even thinking about it brings a chill. Organ, chattering synth loops and the first percussion on the album lead into BOWNESS's best vocal performance on top of a slow build into cathartic beauty, which bursts into a PORCUPINE TREE-like harmonised chorus (a la 'Trains' or 'Prodigal'): 'The city in a hundred ways/It wouldn't let you stay.' Reminiscent of PINK FLOYD at their best, a modern and more desperate 'Welcome to the Machine', perhaps, or something from Side 2 of 'The Wall', filled with angst and the prospect of dissolution. Lush, addictive, achingly beautiful and hurtful. The third track, titled after the lyrics in the second track (a NO-MAN trick) is a clarinet-led instrumental, a short sounscape leading to 'Things I Want To Tell You', an exercise in slow desperation: 'I'm what you left behind/I'm fading from your mind'. Anyone who has experienced heartache and loss has finally found here a sophisticated voice well beyond the banality of pop sentiments.

'Photographs in Black and White' is a ten-minute minimalist triumph. We are warned: 'You talk so fast/To stop yourself from thinking/You move so fast/So you'll never see you're sinking'. Instead, in the midst of present sorrow, take the time to remember, to reflect on those who loved us. This track has the most gorgeous progression, with ROGER ENO playing harmonium to great effect. A five-minute coda sends chills down the spine: WILSON brings everything he has to the table, all the years of space-rock compositions coming together.

'Back When You Were Beautiful' is another song of loss: 'Friendship comes/But it mostly goes'. This is a slow ballad, closer to PORCUPINE TREE than NO-MAN. Banjo and all, this is recognisably 'In Absentia' territory married with 'The Sky Moves Sideways'. And the album finishes on a plaintive note with 'The Break-Up For Real', another PT-style track, the second on the album to have the increasingly familiar harmonised chorus hook. On my iTunes playlist this last track is replaced with the drum mix version from the eponymous single, and I follow it with '(bluecoda)', an instrumental from the same single that reintroduces the album's opening theme. Five stars either way.

You have to be in the mood for this, and you have to have the time. Some day you will, so get this and be prepared.

Send comments to russellk (BETA) | Report this review (#144954) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
5 stars No-man's music has always intrigued and appealed to me, but the Wilson - Bowness tandem had never entirely convinced me. I always had some kind of issue with the poppy nature of the music or Bowness' vocals. Also their 5th album Together We're Stranger did not entirely engage me at first. The slowly meandering atmosphere did take a lot of time to leave its mark on me. But ever since it did, I've been truly astounded by this album.

None of the previous No-man albums had prepared me for this one. Wilson stripped the arrangement to the bones, only leaving minimalist sketches of slowly flowing ambient guitars and keyboard sounds. It makes for a sombre, moving and very poetic album detailing the break-up of relationships and other hardship. Bowness delivers some of his best vocals ever here. Very quiet and subdued, almost hesitant, but evoking a feeling of fragility and truthfulness.

The slowness and bare approach of the album might put off many listeners, spoilt as we all are by very busy and action-packed music. This is a typical example of an album that takes a while to sink in and I wouldn't recommend it if you are into harsh metal, busy Prog or hot techno right now. That's where I was when I first heard it and it didn't really register then. But if you feel you're ready to be overwhelmed by slow and delicate melancholic mood music, then this is the album you need.

Slow, sad and sometimes almost lethargic, this will register as boring to some, but as fascinatingly beautiful to others. This is an album to listen to when you cannot be diverted by any distractions, so wait until dark and put on those headphones, or surrounded yourself by the lush 5.1 mix.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#285551) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Review by progkidjoel
5 stars Pure beauty transposed into music, pure and simple.

As an album, Together We're Stranger is just that - a collection of truly beautiful music transposed into one disc. On this album of wonderful ambient pop, Bowness and Wilson truly solidify their legacy as no-man, creating just under 50 minutes of sonic wonder. The truly commendable effort of Wilson, tackling a majority of the instrumentation, creates some of the most dense and explorative atmospherics to ever grace my ears, and Bowness' dramatic, dulcet tones, although not everyone's favourite vocal style, match this music perfectly, and pull at the heart strings like very few other albums ever have, or ever will.

The music is mostly soundscape/synthesizer based and has a wonderful lyric set, which mostly seems to confront relationship issues, the loss of loved ones and other facts of life, love and loss. The soundscapes, guitar, banjo, clarinet, strings and vocal work here is unlike any other no-man album (or any other album for that matter) - incredible creativity and imagination is at work here, creating unheard of tones. This is an album best enjoyed on a walk at night, or in one's room alone - put simply, this is not upbeat music in any real shape or form, and features very few pop sensibilities like many of no-man's other works.

The album opens with soft synth on the title track, Wilson awaiting Bowness' vocal input later on in the track. A soaring guitar solo cuts amongst the ambient work here, and the result is truly perfect. Other tracks like All The Blue Changes feature a more definite rhythm, and this movement between structured, beat based music comes in and out of the picture. The spacey, open wide sound returns with Things I Want To Tell You, a maze of haunting vocals, incredibly sad yet beautiful lyrics, plucked guitar and mellotron, which is very easily one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever conceived, recorded or heard. Photographs In Black And White features a sound more similar to the earlier, poppier no-man works, although closes in an incredibly dark fashion. Back When You Were Beautiful is the albums more obvious ballad, but is still brilliant none the less. This melancholic little ditty features some of the most beautiful guitar and vocal interplay I've ever heard, and ranks highly amongst my favourite Wilson releases. The closer, The Break-Up For Real, has a much more harsh, raw sound, although is still absolutely beautiful, and brings this tear-jerker to an end.

As a pop music, ambient lover, or Wilson aficionado, you HAVE to hear this album. As such a curiosity in their discography, it is surprising to see this album receive the band's most critical acclaim, although incredibly well deserved. It is worth mentioning the sonic quality on the 24 bit master, available on the DVD portion of the CD/DVD version, blows the CD's out of the water for sonic fidelity, which is an important factor on this album. Regardless of how, this album MUST be heard!

An easy masterpiece.

Send comments to progkidjoel (BETA) | Report this review (#302760) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 08, 2010

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars No-Man are again a duo, with just a few guests, and there cannot be many bands that have been going fifteen years let alone recording while one of the members is also in a slightly more well-known outfit. Tim Bowness provides the vocals, while Steve Wilson provides all of the instruments and if anyone thinks that this might just sound anything like Porcupine Tree are very much mistaken. This is an album that sees the band really push Tim's vocals to the front, while the music swirls, moves and shifts behind. It is almost New Age at times but there is always a slight hint of menace that drives away the saccharine.

It becomes an album that is timeless, ageless, modern yet harkening back to the Seventies. There are Floydian touches but no-one could ever think that they are copyists. There can be just a gentle piano chord, followed by a line of sung melody. There are songs that are heart- achingly beautiful that if edited might even stand a chance in the charts. It is almost as if their previous albums have been leading up to this, as if Steven has managed to exorcise heavier demons with Porcupine Tree and here has come home to provide a stark view of what can be done. If these guys were designers then they would be minimalist, of that there is no doubt. This is not an album to jump into, you must be prepared to sit back and let it all wash over you (oh and don't turn up the volume at the end of "Things I Want To Tell You" like I did, otherwise you will jump out of your skin when the next song starts). Superb.

Originally appeared in Feedback #73, Jun 03

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#978692) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 15, 2013

5 stars SUCH A BEAUTIFUL PERFECT ALBUM! An evolution to his predecessor 'Returning Jesus', where music gets less beat & rave to become more sentimental, more perfectionist, more clean, maybe more jazzy. All these tendencies have been noticed in that album, those changes have been acclaimed and well rec ... (read more)

Report this review (#113120) | Posted by porcupine_boy | Thursday, February 22, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars First, I am a huge fan of PT and Steve Wilson. Second, I love music that can make world stop. That happened to me the first time that I listened "Together...". Delicate arrangements, speceful keyboards, a beautiful voice, exquisite guitar arrangements... Sometimes, "Together..." looks very sim ... (read more)

Report this review (#73621) | Posted by progadicto | Friday, March 31, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I really wanted to give this 5 stars but I just couldn't because it's not as complete as the other no-man cds I have(what can I say I'm a porcupine tree freak). But now by saying that I can worship it for what it is... It was my first no-man album and my favorite no-man song is on it, ''Back w ... (read more)

Report this review (#45318) | Posted by | Friday, September 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is possibly my favourite non-Porcupine Tree Steven Wilson-related album. Very slow. very atmospheric and very beautiful, the first part of the album consists of four pieces linked by textures, effects and clarinets (Talk Talk-esque), and comes across as a more emotional, vocal-led, versi ... (read more)

Report this review (#18241) | Posted by The Sea Priest | Sunday, April 10, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album gives the word "beauty" a whole new meaning!!! Probably the best of all No- Man releases. I like it even more than my Porcupine Tree's favourite: Lightbulb Sub. The opening suite (tracks 1-4) is 28-minutes of pure ambience. "Photographs In Black And White" is quite long song divided ... (read more)

Report this review (#18238) | Posted by | Friday, May 07, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of NO-MAN "Together We're Stranger"