TOGETHER WE'RE STRANGER

Psychedelic/Space Rock

No-Man Together We're Stranger album cover

Buy NO-MAN Music
Studio Album, released in 2003

1. Together We're Stranger (8:31)
2. All The Blue Changes (7:48)
3. The City In A Hundred Ways (2:23)
4. Things I Want To Tell You (9:03)
5. Photographs In Black And White (10:03)
6. Back When You Were Beautiful (5:07)
7. The Break-up For Real (4:11)

Bonus track on TF18:

1. Tthe Break-up For Real (Drum Mix)

Search NO-MAN Together We're Stranger lyrics

- Ben Castle / clarinets
- Peter Chilvers / space-bass
- Roger Eno / harmonium
- David Picking / percussion, trumpet, sounds

CD K-Scope / Snapper Music SMACD867 (2003)
LP Tonefloat Records (2005)

and to Angelo for the last updates

NO-MAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NO-MAN Together We're Stranger Music

SpeakSpeak
101 DISTRIBUTION 2009
Spanish Fly - Trust No Man [CD New] US $15.80 Buy It Now 1h 6m
WARP 9 NO MAN IS AN ISLAND 12" MINT SEALED US $13.56 Buy It Now 1h 40m
J. Ireland - Vexilla Regis/Greater Love Hath No Man/& CD US $15.54 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Dame Fate - Time & Tide Wait For No Man CD US $16.13 Buy It Now 3h 4m
Spanish Fly - Trust No Man CD US $17.12 Buy It Now 3h 13m
Spanish Fly - Trust No Man CD SL ENTERTAINMENT US $17.12 Buy It Now 3h 13m
No-Man - Dry Cleaning Ray CD US $21.20 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Ella Fitzgerald - Let No Man Write My Epitaph 200G Vinyl Record LP US $96.89 Buy It Now 3h 39m
NO MAN flowermix CD 9 track (hiart2) uk hidden art 1995 US $33.76 Buy It Now 4h 12m
THE BLUE BONNETS. NO MAN'S LAND. BRAND NEW CD ALBUM US $5.08 Buy It Now 4h 39m
Lene Lovich "No-Man's-Land" LP US $4.95 Buy It Now 4h 55m
TERRY RILEY NO MAN'S LAND SIROCCO PLAINISPHARE SWISS CD US $59.99 Buy It Now 4h 57m
RACHAEL MCSHANE - NO MAN'S FOOL NEW CD US $22.91 Buy It Now 5h 24m
DENNIS BROWN No Man Is An Island LLOYD WILLIAMS For Your Love 45 Studio One MP3 US $39.99 Buy It Now 5h 35m
SINEAD O' CONNOR German 2000 PROMO CD Single No Man's Woman NearMINT US $6.77 Buy It Now 5h 39m
Disco 12" ~ First Choice ~ Let No Man Put Asunder ~ SalSoul ~ mp3 VG+ US $7.99 [1 bids]
Lene Lovich 4 LP Lot Stiff Records No-Man's-Land, Flex, New Joy, Stateless US $14.99 Buy It Now 10h 13m
CD Single: Beverley Knight : No Man's Land US $1.68 [0 bids]
JAZZ AILEEN STANLEY No Man's Mamma/Mighty Blue VICTOR 19863 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Lene Lovich No Man's Land LP FIRST PRESS FREE U.S. SHIPPING LOOK US $9.07 Buy It Now 12h 51m
Bob Seger Against The Wind No Man's Land 45 1980 Capitol Records 4863 US $7.00 Buy It Now 13h 18m
The Limeliters A Casinha Pequenina b/w No Man Is An Island 45-rpm Record US $7.99 Buy It Now 13h 32m
cd B8 HEVIA - NO MAN'S LAND US $25.99 Buy It Now 13h 57m
Bott/Shaw/Oxley/Terfel/Lso&C/H Greater Love Hath No Man / Th CD NEW (UK Import) US $9.22 Buy It Now 14h 25m
VAN DYKES: I Won't Hold It Against You / No Man Is An Island 45 (sl label wear) US $25.00 Buy It Now 14h 32m
The Neon Judgement A Man Aint No Man 1987 Bias 65 Records Vinyl Lp US $19.97 Buy It Now 14h 44m
STAR TREK 1: CAGE & WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE / SOUNDTRACK NEW CD US $24.06 Buy It Now 15h 2m
45 RPM-Melba/No man is an Island-Dreamers (Rollin label) US $50.00 [0 bids]
Star Trek, Vol. 1: The Cage/Where No Man Has Gone Before by Alexander Courage (C US $9.99 Buy It Now 20h 28m
NO MAN loveblows and love cries CD 10 track (tplp57cd) uk one little indian 1993 US $45.93 Buy It Now 23h 51m
NEON JUDGEMENT Ain't No Man CD Chinese Black *SEALED RARE Play It Again Sam 1987 US $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day
No Man - Damage The Enemy - New Sealed Promo Cassette US $24.50 Buy It Now 1 day
No-Man (w/Steve Wilson of Porcupine Tree) "wild opera" 3rd stone UK 1st CD album US $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Bob Seger Against The Wind b/w No Man's Land 7" 45 Single Record 1980 US $0.01 [0 bids]
LENE LOVICH -NO MAN'S-LAND rock vinyl LP US $10.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Lene Lovich - No Man's Land - Israel Press LP New Wave Synth LISTEN Thomas Dolby US $13.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DREAMERS ROLLIN 1001 MELBA/NO MAN IS AN ISLAND M- WOL US $200.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SPANISH FLY - TRUST NO MAN NEW CD US $21.37 Buy It Now 1 day
First Choice - Let No Man Put Asunder '95 - Crash #5703 US $8.47 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DYKES MALA 520 I WON'T HOLD IT AGAINST U M- DJ $40.00 B/W NO MAN IS AN ISL US $40.00 Buy It Now 1 day
DJ Screw Chapter 195: Fear No Man Houston Texas Rap 2 CD Set Piranha Records US $16.00 Buy It Now 1 day
NO MAN CAN TAME ME Gisele McKenzie CBS-TV 1959 Cast LP US $199.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Whamon Express - No Man (CD) rock US $2.49 Buy It Now 1 day
ETHEL WATERS No Man's Mama COLUMBIA 14116-D 78 RPM / V+ US $18.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Beyond The Red Horizon, Martyn Wyndham-Read & No Man's B, Very Good CD US $13.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Three Classic Albums Plus (Mack The Knife / Let No Man Write My Epitaph CD New US $16.79 Buy It Now 1 day
STAR TREK: CAGE/WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE - TV SOUNDTRACK CASSETTE -FREE SHIP US $9.60 Buy It Now 1 day
NO MAN IS AN ISLAND AND OTHER GREAT POEMS READ BY DAVID ALLEN US $1.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LENE LOVICH No Man's Land LP US $18.67 Buy It Now 1 day
lot of 2 og Chicano rap cds lil robs crazy life and Spanish fly trust no man US $5.99 [1 bids]
No Man Diamondback/The Clamp 45 RPM US $7.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MARIE FRANKLIN: I Don't Need No Man / Anything You Wasn't Born With 45 (almost US $40.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Chicano Rap CD Spanish Fly - Trust No Man - Ese Rich Roc Lil Chill - West Coast US $9.00 Buy It Now 1 day
TIM BOWNESS Abandoned Dancehall Dreams 2014 UK 8-trk promo test CD No-Man US $10.18 [0 bids]
FIRST CHOICE LET NO MAN PUT ASUNDER 12" SALSOUL Promo Frankie Knuckles Ex/VG++ US $19.99 [0 bids]
Ethel Waters - COLUMBIA 14116-D - Shake That Thing & No Man's Mamma US $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
(AR822) Beverley Knight, No Man's Land - DJ CD US $4.67 Buy It Now 1 day
GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN / LIVERPOOL CATHEDRAL CHOIR - NEW CD BOXSET US $16.88 Buy It Now 1 day
ZANISTER - FEAR NO MAN - NEW CD US $12.67 Buy It Now 1 day
Bus Boys" Money Don't Make No Man " Cassette NEW US $2.50 [0 bids]
Ella Fitzgerald Let No Man Write My Epitaph Classic LP Sealed US $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Jacques Higelin No Man's Land LP 1978 NEAR MINT ORIG IMPORT PRESSING WITH INSERT US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
No-Man - Flowermouth CD KSCOPE US $14.92 Buy It Now 1 day
No-Man - Heaven Taste CD US $19.55 Buy It Now 1 day
No-Man - Returning Jesus CD US $19.55 Buy It Now 1 day
NO-MAN (UK) - FLOWERMOUTH [BONUS TRACKS] [802644711126] - NEW CD US $7.80 Buy It Now 2 days
No Man's Fool - Rachael Mcshane New & Sealed CD US $20.54 Buy It Now 2 days
No-Man 'Flowermouth' CD New (Porcupine Tree) US $13.56 Buy It Now 2 days
JOHN IRELAND - IRELAND: GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN - NEW CD US $7.27 Buy It Now 2 days
A SEPARATE REALITY let no man put asunder HARD T 1 hard disks 12" PS VG/EX US $15.26 Buy It Now 2 days
JUNIOR DEMUS/THE A TEAM BAND - No Man No Bad - brown vinyl 7" US $11.46 Buy It Now 2 days
BRUNSON rev. milton NO MAN IS AN ISLAND wings of a dove SATISFIED MIND new cd US $7.88 [0 bids]
Dennis Brown "No Man Is An Island" Reggae LP Studio One US $9.50 [2 bids]
LENE LOVICH No Man's Land ORIGINAL UK NEAR MINT US $9.99 [1 bids]
Ella Fitzgerald Let No Man Write My Epitaph record vinyl original Verve press US $20.50 [0 bids]
THE LIMELITERS-No Man Is An Island/RCA 47-8361/wlp promo/1964 Folk/Pop-45rpm US $8.94 [0 bids]
Sergio Franchi No Man is an Island DJ 45 NM Italian Tenor Pop Male Vocal Promo US $4.17 Buy It Now 2 days
LENE LOVICH - NO-MAN'S LAND - U.S. VINYL LP US $4.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Spanish Fly Trust No Man Special Edition Chicano Rap CD US $5.99 [0 bids]
Steven Wilson Cover Version Two 7 inch Vinyl Single Porcupine Tree No Man 2 II US $69.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Steven Wilson Cover Version One 7 inch Vinyl Single Porcupine Tree No Man US $69.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Steven Wilson Cover Version 4 7 inch Vinyl Single Sealed Porcupine Tree No Man US $59.99 Buy It Now 2 days
NO MAN - Whamon Express CD ( 1990, SST Records ) US $3.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK/ - STAR TREK, VOL. 1: THE CAGE/WHERE NO MAN HAS - NEW CD US $13.53 Buy It Now 2 days
Somethin' For The People B**CH! With No Man 12" Single NM 2000 PRO-A-100346 US $19.95 Buy It Now 2 days
FIRST CHOICE Let No Man Put Asunder SALSOUL NEW GENERATION SHRINK STICKER 12" US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
No-Man "Wherever There Is Light" CD Steven Wilson Porcupine Tree **Free Shipping US $32.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Porcupine Tree Fear of EU Orig DBL Vinyl LP Sealed New No Man Barbieri Fripp US $99.99 Buy It Now 2 days
45 TANYA TUCKER- WOULD YOU LAY WITH ME IN A FIELD OF STONE NO MAN'S LAND 4-45991 US $2.61 Buy It Now 2 days
Star Trek Soundtrack cassette- The Cage +Where No Man Has Gone Before US $0.99 [0 bids]
DAKOTA STATION 45 GP 614 NO Man Is Going To Change Me EX (45s-131) US $3.57 Buy It Now 2 days
No Man's Land by Souls of Mischief (CD, Oct-1995, Jive (USA)) US $5.99 [0 bids]
No-Man "All That You Are" CD (Hidden Art 18, 2003) **Free Shipping** US $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
No-Man "Heaven Taste" Original Rare (Hi-Art 1) Made in Austria **Free Shipping** US $32.99 Buy It Now 2 days
No-Man "Heaven Taste" CD (Remastered Hidden Art 1) **Free Shipping** US $16.89 Buy It Now 2 days
No-Man "Housewives Hooked On Heroin" (Hidden Art 12, 1996) **Free Shipping** US $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
No-Man "Flowermouth" CD Snapper Music-2005 Steven Wilson **Free Shipping** US $10.78 Buy It Now 2 days
No-Man "Flowermix" CD (Hidden Art 2, Sept-1995) (UK) Rare!! **Free Shipping** US $35.99 Buy It Now 2 days
No-Man "Together We're Stranger" (UK) (CD, May-2007, Snapper) **Free Shipping** US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
No-Man "Speak" [Italy] (UK) (CD, Sep-2009, Kscope) **Free Shipping** US $10.99 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy NO-MAN music online Buy NO-MAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NO-MAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NO-MAN Together We're Stranger ratings distribution

NO-MAN Together We're Stranger reviews

Review by loserboy
4 stars I have a few NO-MAN albums in my collection and still wonder why these guys have not been talked about a whole lot more. "Together We're Stranger" is another fantastic slow paced dream-like symphonic beauty. NO-MAN is the collaboration of PORCUPINE TREE's Steven Wilson and life long pal Tim Bowness who seem to have some sort of a unique musical chemistry when working together. Gone from this album is even a trace of the early dance beat tendencies with all energy on this album spent in the depth and mood creations. I must tell you that this album is one of my albums from 2004 that "blew me away" and I have played this CD to death. Hard to exactly peg this album but I would say is somewhat reminiscent of the slow instrumental transcendental aspects of PORCUPINE TREE. As usual there are a host of other guest musicians who help shape this rather delicate album including Roger Eno on harmonium. Essentially a great album to mellow out to and a perfect album for the cottage life.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#40168) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, July 24, 2005

Review by greenback
3 stars This melancholic record is very hard to classify: while often being very ambient, linear and hypnotic, it is not very progressive, and it contains psychedelic and spacy textures. It sounds a bit like Radiohead's "Treefingers" and the mellow moments of Porcupine Tree. The rhythm is VERY slow, and the miscellaneous very ethereal electric guitar loops and keyboards slightly remind me David Torn's work with Mark Isham (Castalia) and David Sylvian (Secret of the beehive), Robert Fripp's ethereal work with Brian Eno and David Sylvian, David Helpling, Pink Floyd circa "Division Bell", or even Terje Rypdal. The soundscapes are very original and unique. There are some good & serious piano on a couples of tracks. The bad thing is the lead vocals: they have an unpleasant, depressive, cheap & gross tone belonging to bands like Porcupine Tree, Riverside and Opeth: the lead vocals partly kill the good elements provided by the guitars and the keyboards: I try to concentrate on the rest of the instruments in order to give a proper evaluation.

This record truly has great soundscapes, especially on the first track "Together we're strangers". "The city in a hundred ways" contains strange clarinet textures and ethereal floating keyboards in the background: it is interesting but it has to not last too long. "Things I want to tell you" contains excellent lush & echoed acoustic guitars with ethereal floating keyboards in the background. The folkier "Back when you were beautiful" and "Break-up for real" remind me the most melancholic parts of Barclay James Harvest and Pink Floyd. Radiohead should take a lesson from No Man: the electronic album "Kid A" has nothing memorable compared to this record! Finally, this is a good record that many young people should like.

Rating: 3.5 stars

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#61482) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 23, 2005

5 stars It took me a long time (too long) for me to appreciate this album. It was hard to get past how slow moving and ambient it is.The atmosphere is so thick, and the lyrics so well done that when I finally came around I was left in awe of what they've done.

The title track has so much atmosphere as Tim sings slowly. "All The Blue Changes" has a little more life instrumentally but not not vocally. Incredible sound 3 1/2 minutes in that doesn't start to let up until around the 6 minute mark. "The City In A Hundred Ways" is a short track with horns and again lots of atmosphere. It blends into "Things I Want To Tell You". Acoustic guitar comes in and then the vocals. So much spacey atmosphere here as well.

"Photographs In Black And White" opens with strummed guitar and spacey sounds as vocals come in. Emotional lyrics. And talking about emotion check out my favourite track "Back When You Were Beautiful". It's cool that Stephen Bennett is playing organ on this one. He is an important part of the HENRY FOOL band that Tim Bowness sings on. "The Break-Up For Real" could be on a PORCUPINE TREE album. Strummed guitar and vocals lead the way. Steven's backup vocals are great. Piano is a nice touch too. Again the lyrics are moving.

A solid 4 stars and no doubt one of their best yet.

Edit 10/29/10 Wow it's been over 4 years since I reviewed this album. I originally gave it 3 stars but bumped it up to 4 stars and here I am giving it the full blown stars ! It's almost shocking how much atmosphere is on this disc. It overwhelmes me and the emotion is right at the surface when listening to this album. Wondrous simply wondrous.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#89866) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 17, 2006

Review by Prog Leviathan
4 stars "Together We're Stranger" is No-Man's deepest, most soulful, and enjoyable album to date-- focusing entirely on delicate ambience and intricate song writing; it is the only one of their albums I heartily recommend to fans coming from outside the genre, and will unfailingly impress any going in with an open mind.

First, the recording quality is top-notch, allowing the listener to be swept away by the rich atmospheres. The songs themselves are lyrically smarter than anything else they've done, and Browness' vocals positively ooze class-- his best yet. Moreover, Wilson's signature guitar is much stronger and his soundscapes more vibrant, despite their melancholy tone. The songs do have their (slightly) upbeat sections, but are as a whole slow and sullen-- very enjoyable. Ben Coleman is sadly absent, but the album does have an enjoyable bit of clarinet work to add a rarely heard sound to things.

An amazing listening experience for those ready for it.

Songwriting: 4 Instrumental Performances: 3 Lyrics/Vocals: 4 Style/Emotion/Replay: 5

Send comments to Prog Leviathan (BETA) | Report this review (#140688) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Review by russellk
5 stars Heartbreakingly sensational. NO-MAN finally put music and lyrics together to perfectly sum up the end of a relationship using some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard. Why on earth isn't this band more widely known?

So how good is this? I'm a huge PORCUPINE TREE fan, but this is better than anything in the PT catalogue. I'm a fan of ambient music, and this ranks as my favourite album in that broad genre. And I've loved PINK FLOYD since I was a young teen, and I have no hesitation in saying this is right up there with WISH YOU WERE HERE.

But before I go any further, a warning. This album has none of the immediacy of a PORCUPINE TREE album. There's very little that impresses itself on you at first listen. Ambient music is about the listener actively interacting with the music: you have to put something in. You can't sit back and expect the music to work wonders, and you most certainly can't put it on as background. It requires your active attention.

The first four tracks form an indivisible ambient suite nearly half an hour long. The opener is comparable to 'Flowermouth's 'Angel Caught in the Beauty Trap'. A drill-like opening gives way to an impossibly dreamy soundscape. BOWNESS's voice is more direct here than I've heard in nearly a decade: his delivery is still breathy and matter-of-fact, but there's a tautness speaking of suppressed emotion. I can't help thinking of TALK TALK as this track unfolds, of 'Spirit of Eden'. 'All The Blue Changes' - well, even thinking about it brings a chill. Organ, chattering synth loops and the first percussion on the album lead into BOWNESS's best vocal performance on top of a slow build into cathartic beauty, which bursts into a PORCUPINE TREE-like harmonised chorus (a la 'Trains' or 'Prodigal'): 'The city in a hundred ways/It wouldn't let you stay.' Reminiscent of PINK FLOYD at their best, a modern and more desperate 'Welcome to the Machine', perhaps, or something from Side 2 of 'The Wall', filled with angst and the prospect of dissolution. Lush, addictive, achingly beautiful and hurtful. The third track, titled after the lyrics in the second track (a NO-MAN trick) is a clarinet-led instrumental, a short sounscape leading to 'Things I Want To Tell You', an exercise in slow desperation: 'I'm what you left behind/I'm fading from your mind'. Anyone who has experienced heartache and loss has finally found here a sophisticated voice well beyond the banality of pop sentiments.

'Photographs in Black and White' is a ten-minute minimalist triumph. We are warned: 'You talk so fast/To stop yourself from thinking/You move so fast/So you'll never see you're sinking'. Instead, in the midst of present sorrow, take the time to remember, to reflect on those who loved us. This track has the most gorgeous progression, with ROGER ENO playing harmonium to great effect. A five-minute coda sends chills down the spine: WILSON brings everything he has to the table, all the years of space-rock compositions coming together.

'Back When You Were Beautiful' is another song of loss: 'Friendship comes/But it mostly goes'. This is a slow ballad, closer to PORCUPINE TREE than NO-MAN. Banjo and all, this is recognisably 'In Absentia' territory married with 'The Sky Moves Sideways'. And the album finishes on a plaintive note with 'The Break-Up For Real', another PT-style track, the second on the album to have the increasingly familiar harmonised chorus hook. On my iTunes playlist this last track is replaced with the drum mix version from the eponymous single, and I follow it with '(bluecoda)', an instrumental from the same single that reintroduces the album's opening theme. Five stars either way.

You have to be in the mood for this, and you have to have the time. Some day you will, so get this and be prepared.

Send comments to russellk (BETA) | Report this review (#144954) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
5 stars No-man's music has always intrigued and appealed to me, but the Wilson - Bowness tandem had never entirely convinced me. I always had some kind of issue with the poppy nature of the music or Bowness' vocals. Also their 5th album Together We're Stranger did not entirely engage me at first. The slowly meandering atmosphere did take a lot of time to leave its mark on me. But ever since it did, I've been truly astounded by this album.

None of the previous No-man albums had prepared me for this one. Wilson stripped the arrangement to the bones, only leaving minimalist sketches of slowly flowing ambient guitars and keyboard sounds. It makes for a sombre, moving and very poetic album detailing the break-up of relationships and other hardship. Bowness delivers some of his best vocals ever here. Very quiet and subdued, almost hesitant, but evoking a feeling of fragility and truthfulness.

The slowness and bare approach of the album might put off many listeners, spoilt as we all are by very busy and action-packed music. This is a typical example of an album that takes a while to sink in and I wouldn't recommend it if you are into harsh metal, busy Prog or hot techno right now. That's where I was when I first heard it and it didn't really register then. But if you feel you're ready to be overwhelmed by slow and delicate melancholic mood music, then this is the album you need.

Slow, sad and sometimes almost lethargic, this will register as boring to some, but as fascinatingly beautiful to others. This is an album to listen to when you cannot be diverted by any distractions, so wait until dark and put on those headphones, or surrounded yourself by the lush 5.1 mix.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#285551) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Review by progkidjoel
5 stars Pure beauty transposed into music, pure and simple.

As an album, Together We're Stranger is just that - a collection of truly beautiful music transposed into one disc. On this album of wonderful ambient pop, Bowness and Wilson truly solidify their legacy as no-man, creating just under 50 minutes of sonic wonder. The truly commendable effort of Wilson, tackling a majority of the instrumentation, creates some of the most dense and explorative atmospherics to ever grace my ears, and Bowness' dramatic, dulcet tones, although not everyone's favourite vocal style, match this music perfectly, and pull at the heart strings like very few other albums ever have, or ever will.

The music is mostly soundscape/synthesizer based and has a wonderful lyric set, which mostly seems to confront relationship issues, the loss of loved ones and other facts of life, love and loss. The soundscapes, guitar, banjo, clarinet, strings and vocal work here is unlike any other no-man album (or any other album for that matter) - incredible creativity and imagination is at work here, creating unheard of tones. This is an album best enjoyed on a walk at night, or in one's room alone - put simply, this is not upbeat music in any real shape or form, and features very few pop sensibilities like many of no-man's other works.

The album opens with soft synth on the title track, Wilson awaiting Bowness' vocal input later on in the track. A soaring guitar solo cuts amongst the ambient work here, and the result is truly perfect. Other tracks like All The Blue Changes feature a more definite rhythm, and this movement between structured, beat based music comes in and out of the picture. The spacey, open wide sound returns with Things I Want To Tell You, a maze of haunting vocals, incredibly sad yet beautiful lyrics, plucked guitar and mellotron, which is very easily one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever conceived, recorded or heard. Photographs In Black And White features a sound more similar to the earlier, poppier no-man works, although closes in an incredibly dark fashion. Back When You Were Beautiful is the albums more obvious ballad, but is still brilliant none the less. This melancholic little ditty features some of the most beautiful guitar and vocal interplay I've ever heard, and ranks highly amongst my favourite Wilson releases. The closer, The Break-Up For Real, has a much more harsh, raw sound, although is still absolutely beautiful, and brings this tear-jerker to an end.

As a pop music, ambient lover, or Wilson aficionado, you HAVE to hear this album. As such a curiosity in their discography, it is surprising to see this album receive the band's most critical acclaim, although incredibly well deserved. It is worth mentioning the sonic quality on the 24 bit master, available on the DVD portion of the CD/DVD version, blows the CD's out of the water for sonic fidelity, which is an important factor on this album. Regardless of how, this album MUST be heard!

An easy masterpiece.

Send comments to progkidjoel (BETA) | Report this review (#302760) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 08, 2010

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars No-Man are again a duo, with just a few guests, and there cannot be many bands that have been going fifteen years let alone recording while one of the members is also in a slightly more well-known outfit. Tim Bowness provides the vocals, while Steve Wilson provides all of the instruments and if anyone thinks that this might just sound anything like Porcupine Tree are very much mistaken. This is an album that sees the band really push Tim's vocals to the front, while the music swirls, moves and shifts behind. It is almost New Age at times but there is always a slight hint of menace that drives away the saccharine.

It becomes an album that is timeless, ageless, modern yet harkening back to the Seventies. There are Floydian touches but no-one could ever think that they are copyists. There can be just a gentle piano chord, followed by a line of sung melody. There are songs that are heart- achingly beautiful that if edited might even stand a chance in the charts. It is almost as if their previous albums have been leading up to this, as if Steven has managed to exorcise heavier demons with Porcupine Tree and here has come home to provide a stark view of what can be done. If these guys were designers then they would be minimalist, of that there is no doubt. This is not an album to jump into, you must be prepared to sit back and let it all wash over you (oh and don't turn up the volume at the end of "Things I Want To Tell You" like I did, otherwise you will jump out of your skin when the next song starts). Superb.

Originally appeared in Feedback #73, Jun 03

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#978692) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 15, 2013

5 stars SUCH A BEAUTIFUL PERFECT ALBUM! An evolution to his predecessor 'Returning Jesus', where music gets less beat & rave to become more sentimental, more perfectionist, more clean, maybe more jazzy. All these tendencies have been noticed in that album, those changes have been acclaimed and well rec ... (read more)

Report this review (#113120) | Posted by porcupine_boy | Thursday, February 22, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars First, I am a huge fan of PT and Steve Wilson. Second, I love music that can make world stop. That happened to me the first time that I listened "Together...". Delicate arrangements, speceful keyboards, a beautiful voice, exquisite guitar arrangements... Sometimes, "Together..." looks very sim ... (read more)

Report this review (#73621) | Posted by progadicto | Friday, March 31, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I really wanted to give this 5 stars but I just couldn't because it's not as complete as the other no-man cds I have(what can I say I'm a porcupine tree freak). But now by saying that I can worship it for what it is... It was my first no-man album and my favorite no-man song is on it, ''Back w ... (read more)

Report this review (#45318) | Posted by | Friday, September 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is possibly my favourite non-Porcupine Tree Steven Wilson-related album. Very slow. very atmospheric and very beautiful, the first part of the album consists of four pieces linked by textures, effects and clarinets (Talk Talk-esque), and comes across as a more emotional, vocal-led, versi ... (read more)

Report this review (#18241) | Posted by The Sea Priest | Sunday, April 10, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album gives the word "beauty" a whole new meaning!!! Probably the best of all No- Man releases. I like it even more than my Porcupine Tree's favourite: Lightbulb Sub. The opening suite (tracks 1-4) is 28-minutes of pure ambience. "Photographs In Black And White" is quite long song divided ... (read more)

Report this review (#18238) | Posted by | Friday, May 07, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of NO-MAN "Together We're Stranger"