TOGETHER WE'RE STRANGER

Psychedelic/Space Rock

No-Man Together We're Stranger album cover

Buy NO-MAN Music
Studio Album, released in 2003

1. Together We're Stranger (8:31)
2. All The Blue Changes (7:48)
3. The City In A Hundred Ways (2:23)
4. Things I Want To Tell You (9:03)
5. Photographs In Black And White (10:03)
6. Back When You Were Beautiful (5:07)
7. The Break-up For Real (4:11)

Bonus track on TF18:

1. Tthe Break-up For Real (Drum Mix)

Search NO-MAN Together We're Stranger lyrics

- Ben Castle / clarinets
- Peter Chilvers / space-bass
- Roger Eno / harmonium
- David Picking / percussion, trumpet, sounds

CD K-Scope / Snapper Music SMACD867 (2003)
LP Tonefloat Records (2005)

and to Angelo for the last updates

NO-MAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NO-MAN Together We're Stranger Music

Kscope 2013
SpeakSpeak
101 DISTRIBUTION 2009
Dominique Preschez - No Man S Land [CD New] US $41.99 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Miss Lady Pinks - Trust No Man Ft. Mr. Capone-e, Mr. Criminal, Hi Power Soldiers US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 52m
Billy Joel No Man's Land & The River of Dreams Columbia 38-77086 VG US $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 53m
LENE LOVICH No Man's Land STIFF LP US $7.95 Buy It Now 4h 10m
LENE LOVICH "NO-MAN'S-LAND" LP STEREO 1982 US $7.99 Buy It Now 4h 36m
Star Trek "THE CAGE & "WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE" Vinyl LP Record Soundtrack US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 8m
BUS BOYS Money Don't make No Man FACTORY SEALED LP Voss 72915 (1988) US $8.09 Buy It Now 5h 43m
Ella Fitzgerald, Let No Man Write My Epitaph LP Test Pressing SS US $45.50 [3 bids]
VELMA MAIA THOMAS "No Man Can Hinder Me" Book with CD US $12.49 Buy It Now 7h 37m
Wilma Burgess 45 Misty Blue / Ain't Got NO Man US $2.00 Buy It Now 7h 59m
LENE LOVICH nr mint vinyl lp NO MAN'S LAND in shrinkwrap US $7.99 Buy It Now 8h 31m
GENE AUTRY CHAMPION-THE HORSE NO MAN COULD RIDE (COLUMBIA ZSP 6417) FOLK STORY US $9.99 [0 bids]
BLOW 3-11,CD,b.Low,Visiting Places Where No Man Has Gone Below US $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 50m
No-Man "All That You Are" CD (Hidden Art 18, 2003) **Free Shipping** US $29.99 Buy It Now 11h 4m
No-Man "Heaven Taste" Original Rare (Hi-Art 1) Made in Austria **Free Shipping** US $32.99 Buy It Now 11h 6m
No-Man "Heaven Taste" CD (Remastered Hidden Art 1) **Free Shipping** US $16.89 Buy It Now 11h 9m
No-Man "Housewives Hooked On Heroin" (Hidden Art 12, 1996) **Free Shipping** US $29.99 Buy It Now 11h 12m
No-Man "Flowermouth" CD Snapper Music-2005 Steven Wilson **Free Shipping** US $10.78 Buy It Now 11h 15m
No-Man "Flowermix" CD (Hidden Art 2, Sept-1995) (UK) Rare!! **Free Shipping** US $35.99 Buy It Now 11h 16m
No-Man "Together We're Stranger" (UK) (CD, May-2007, Snapper) **Free Shipping** US $14.99 Buy It Now 11h 21m
No-Man "Speak" [Italy] (UK) (CD, Sep-2009, Kscope) **Free Shipping** US $10.99 Buy It Now 11h 22m
No-Man "Returning Jesus" (UK) (CD, Feb-2001, Hidden Art) **Free Shipping** US $13.76 Buy It Now 11h 24m
No-Man "All The Blue Changes: An Anthology 1988-2003" CD (Hidden Art 19, 2006) US $20.42 Buy It Now 11h 24m
No-Man/Richard Barbieri/Tim Bowness Rare Promo Disc Wired Magazine *Free Shippin US $39.99 Buy It Now 11h 27m
Let No Man Write My Epitaph - Fitzgerald,Ella New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $98.48 Buy It Now 17h 25m
NEW THE BUSBOYS Money Don't Make No Man Bus Boys 1988 Voss Records Cassette Tape US $10.45 Buy It Now 18h 9m
BILLY JOEL UK 1993 CD Single No Man's Land Pt1 LIVE TRAX MINT US $4.97 Buy It Now 18h 23m
NO MAN'S WOMAN - NEW CD US $34.64 Buy It Now 18h 43m
Whamon Express, No Man, Excellent US $1.00 Buy It Now 18h 59m
Jacques Higelin No Man's Land LP 1978 NEAR MINT ORIG IMPORT PRESSING WITH INSERT US $7.99 Buy It Now 19h 54m
Johnson Brothers "No Man's Land - Gallipoli" Rare Oz 7" US $13.97 Buy It Now 20h 48m
PENTANGLE - Reprise 0784 - Let No Man Steal Your Thyme - 1968 FOLK-ROCK DJ VG+ US $15.00 Buy It Now 22h 19m
Whamon Express by No Man (US) (CD, SST) US $4.50 [0 bids]
Aileen Stanley 78 "No Man's Mamma/Mighty Blue" Victor 19863 US $11.00 [0 bids]
DMC 3/93 STEREO MCs Marc Auerbach Mx / First Choice Let No Man MAW Mix DJ Pierre US $3.31 Buy It Now 1 day
MISS LADY PINKS - TRUST NO MAN NEW CD US $24.20 Buy It Now 1 day
Ella Fitzgerald ~ Let No Man Write My Epitaph LP ORIG Verve MGV 4043 DG Mono US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Northern soul LARRY HARRISON No Man Can Stand Alone PAVANNE M-.DJ Listen! US $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
RARE AUDREY WILLIAMS NO MAN CAN LOVE TWO WOMEN YOU PUT IT THERE 45 PROMO HANK US $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DAKTOA STATON - NO MAN IS GOING TO CHANGE ME - GP RECORDS-LP/Vinyl/Record US $0.99 [1 bids]
Rufus (Mr Soul) Beacham 45 RPM No Man is King/Take it Easy Baby Soul 1960's NM US $9.88 [0 bids]
Subtractive Lad - No Man's Land [CD New] US $15.98 Buy It Now 1 day
No-Man - Carolina Skeletons [CD New] US $13.46 Buy It Now 1 day
How the West Was Won by No Man (US) (CD, Aug-1991, SST) US $4.50 [0 bids]
The Rose of No Man's Land by Jack Caddigan & James A. Brennan 1918 Sheet Music US $4.50 [0 bids]
Troy, Anna Aint No Man CD US $7.16 Buy It Now 1 day
Darlene Austin - No Man's Girl / Til I Can't Take it Anymore Pepper 446 PROMO US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LENE LOVICH No Man's Land LTD Audiophile Clear Vinyl UK 1982 LP DMM US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SPANISH FLY - TRUST NO MAN [PA] - NEW CD US $12.22 Buy It Now 1 day
Sharon Redd - Ula Hedwig - Charolotte Crossley - Ain't No Man Worth It US $3.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Dry Cleaning Ray by No-Man (UK) (CD, Nov-2005, United States of Distribution) US $4.50 [0 bids]
SUBTRACTIVELAD - NO MAN'S LAND NEW CD US $20.75 Buy It Now 1 day
Terror Level Red "No Man's Land" Punk/Rock LP, Vinyl, +Insert, VG+ US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
NO -MAN - CAROLINA SKELETONS NEW CD US $20.75 Buy It Now 1 day
NO MAN SPEAK LIMITED EDITION (500 Blue-Marbled) VINYL LP SEALED PORCUPINE TREE US $100.00 Buy It Now 1 day
No-Man - Schoolyard Ghosts (2014) 2CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $23.18 Buy It Now 1 day
No-Man - Carolina Skeletons CD US $17.45 Buy It Now 1 day
Ella Fitzgerald, Let No Man Write My Epitaph LAQUERS 1/3 CLASSIC RECORDS 200G US $310.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Billy Joel The River of Dreams/ No Man's Land 45 rpm EX US $1.99 [0 bids]
NO MAN'S LAND CD AUSTRIAN COLUMBIA 1993, BILLY JOEL, Good US $9.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Go! 3 x 7" Vinyl Albums - Why Suffer, No Man, Only Sheep 1990/1991 US $10.00 [0 bids]
The Pagea Ensemble: No Man's Journey US $2.99 [0 bids]
WARP 9 No Man Is An Island/Remix vinyl 12 Inch 1984 Prism Records EX US $7.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Let No Man Put Asunder (Part 2) - Audio Deluxe #46653 US $4.97 Buy It Now 2 days
NO MAN IS ROGER MILLER WIN INSTANTLY LP SST 243 ALTERNATIVE ROCK US $18.73 Buy It Now 2 days
Jimmy Lewis: There Ain't No Man That can't Be Caught/It Aint What's on The Woman US $3.98 Buy It Now 2 days
No Man's Land by Souls of Mischief (CD, Oct-1995, Jive (USA)) US $6.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Wild Opera - No-man New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $19.49 Buy It Now 2 days
NO MAN'S LAND Home In The Sky ANAZITISI RECORDS Sealed 180 Gram Vinyl LP US $18.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Sinead O'Connor - No Man's Woman 3 Track CD Single US $8.34 Buy It Now 2 days
NO MAN's BAND Damage The Enemy LP Record SEALED 1989 US $24.98 Buy It Now 2 days
NO MAN'S SLAVE/I RESIGN split 7" NEW Give Praise 00's power-violence hardcore US $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
NO MAN'S SLAVE Siege Mentality 7" NEW late-00's Give Praise power-violence HC US $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
JOHNNY MATHIS - EVERY STEP OF THE WAY // NO MAN CAN STAND ALONE - 45 MINT- US $3.80 [0 bids]
Sophia Squire Naw Fight Over No Man CD US $8.97 Buy It Now 2 days
RUFUS BEACHAM 45 Take It Easy Baby / No Man is King SCEPTER Uptempo SOUL #T357 US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Soul Promo 45 SHARON REDD Ain't No Man Worth It on Colu US $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
AUDIO CD - ROCK - BILLY JOEL - RIVER OF DREAMS - NO MAN'S LAND - BLOND OVER US $9.50 Buy It Now 2 days
BUS BOYS money don't make no man LP 8 track with inner (d172915) us voss 1988 US $11.02 Buy It Now 2 days
Head 2 Head: Featuring The Hit Tracks-No Man Is An Island, Fancy Make Up by US $91.39 Buy It Now 2 days
Motion ?- No Man Is An Island ORIG UK 12" Ballistic Records ?TRIF2 1980 US $33.22 Buy It Now 2 days
NO MAN painting paradise ep 12" 2 trk but has heavy crease to right seam of pic US $9.12 Buy It Now 2 days
NO MAN painting paradise ep 12" 2 trk but has slight wear to edges of pic sleeve US $8.94 Buy It Now 2 days
ELECTRO BOOGIE/ Warp 9 - No Man Is An Island (WL Promo) US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
WARP 9 - No Man Is An Island - 12" US $15.94 Buy It Now 2 days
DON CORNELL - Athena/No Man Is An Island US $8.00 Buy It Now 2 days
No Man Taking It Like A Man 1994 Trance, Ambient, Vinyl, 12" Rare US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Billy Joel - No Man's Land - All About Soul - Lot of two (2) cd singles US $1.99 [0 bids]
No Man's Land - Charlie Peacock New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $19.20 Buy It Now 2 days
DREAM INTO DUST - No man's land CD Rare 97 1pr. MYRK10 US $22.49 Buy It Now 2 days
DON CORNELL All At Once / No Man Is An Island 78 VOGUE Q72058 US $21.59 Buy It Now 2 days
NO MAN'S SLAVE/I RESIGN split 7" NEW Give Praise HC late-00's power-violence US $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
WARP 9 no man is an island 12" 3 trk remix b/w island jam and freak beats (12brw US $8.29 Buy It Now 3 days
Hal Frazier SEALED POP SOUL LP No Man is an Island USA US $28.98 Buy It Now 3 days
BILLY JOEL DUTCH 1993 7" Single NO MAN'S LAND DiscNEW US $4.97 Buy It Now 3 days
Over Yonder Where The Lilies Grow /The Rose Of No Man's Land Burr/Donovan 78 RPM US $6.00 [0 bids]
Hello Central, Give Me No Man's Land / Rose of Belgium Edna Brown /Hart 78 RPM US $6.00 [0 bids]
First Choice Let No Man Vinyl 12 WBMX Disco Acapella House Music New York Garage US $9.99 [0 bids]
SINEAD O'CONNOR - NO MAN'S WOMAN 1-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD SINGLE CS285 # US $2.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Norm Calvin & the Truthseekers, Let no man Deceive You, Erika Records TSMR-001 US $32.00 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy NO-MAN music online Buy NO-MAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NO-MAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NO-MAN Together We're Stranger ratings distribution

NO-MAN Together We're Stranger reviews

Review by loserboy
4 stars I have a few NO-MAN albums in my collection and still wonder why these guys have not been talked about a whole lot more. "Together We're Stranger" is another fantastic slow paced dream-like symphonic beauty. NO-MAN is the collaboration of PORCUPINE TREE's Steven Wilson and life long pal Tim Bowness who seem to have some sort of a unique musical chemistry when working together. Gone from this album is even a trace of the early dance beat tendencies with all energy on this album spent in the depth and mood creations. I must tell you that this album is one of my albums from 2004 that "blew me away" and I have played this CD to death. Hard to exactly peg this album but I would say is somewhat reminiscent of the slow instrumental transcendental aspects of PORCUPINE TREE. As usual there are a host of other guest musicians who help shape this rather delicate album including Roger Eno on harmonium. Essentially a great album to mellow out to and a perfect album for the cottage life.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#40168) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, July 24, 2005

Review by greenback
3 stars This melancholic record is very hard to classify: while often being very ambient, linear and hypnotic, it is not very progressive, and it contains psychedelic and spacy textures. It sounds a bit like Radiohead's "Treefingers" and the mellow moments of Porcupine Tree. The rhythm is VERY slow, and the miscellaneous very ethereal electric guitar loops and keyboards slightly remind me David Torn's work with Mark Isham (Castalia) and David Sylvian (Secret of the beehive), Robert Fripp's ethereal work with Brian Eno and David Sylvian, David Helpling, Pink Floyd circa "Division Bell", or even Terje Rypdal. The soundscapes are very original and unique. There are some good & serious piano on a couples of tracks. The bad thing is the lead vocals: they have an unpleasant, depressive, cheap & gross tone belonging to bands like Porcupine Tree, Riverside and Opeth: the lead vocals partly kill the good elements provided by the guitars and the keyboards: I try to concentrate on the rest of the instruments in order to give a proper evaluation.

This record truly has great soundscapes, especially on the first track "Together we're strangers". "The city in a hundred ways" contains strange clarinet textures and ethereal floating keyboards in the background: it is interesting but it has to not last too long. "Things I want to tell you" contains excellent lush & echoed acoustic guitars with ethereal floating keyboards in the background. The folkier "Back when you were beautiful" and "Break-up for real" remind me the most melancholic parts of Barclay James Harvest and Pink Floyd. Radiohead should take a lesson from No Man: the electronic album "Kid A" has nothing memorable compared to this record! Finally, this is a good record that many young people should like.

Rating: 3.5 stars

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#61482) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 23, 2005

5 stars It took me a long time (too long) for me to appreciate this album. It was hard to get past how slow moving and ambient it is.The atmosphere is so thick, and the lyrics so well done that when I finally came around I was left in awe of what they've done.

The title track has so much atmosphere as Tim sings slowly. "All The Blue Changes" has a little more life instrumentally but not not vocally. Incredible sound 3 1/2 minutes in that doesn't start to let up until around the 6 minute mark. "The City In A Hundred Ways" is a short track with horns and again lots of atmosphere. It blends into "Things I Want To Tell You". Acoustic guitar comes in and then the vocals. So much spacey atmosphere here as well.

"Photographs In Black And White" opens with strummed guitar and spacey sounds as vocals come in. Emotional lyrics. And talking about emotion check out my favourite track "Back When You Were Beautiful". It's cool that Stephen Bennett is playing organ on this one. He is an important part of the HENRY FOOL band that Tim Bowness sings on. "The Break-Up For Real" could be on a PORCUPINE TREE album. Strummed guitar and vocals lead the way. Steven's backup vocals are great. Piano is a nice touch too. Again the lyrics are moving.

A solid 4 stars and no doubt one of their best yet.

Edit 10/29/10 Wow it's been over 4 years since I reviewed this album. I originally gave it 3 stars but bumped it up to 4 stars and here I am giving it the full blown stars ! It's almost shocking how much atmosphere is on this disc. It overwhelmes me and the emotion is right at the surface when listening to this album. Wondrous simply wondrous.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#89866) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 17, 2006

Review by Prog Leviathan
4 stars "Together We're Stranger" is No-Man's deepest, most soulful, and enjoyable album to date-- focusing entirely on delicate ambience and intricate song writing; it is the only one of their albums I heartily recommend to fans coming from outside the genre, and will unfailingly impress any going in with an open mind.

First, the recording quality is top-notch, allowing the listener to be swept away by the rich atmospheres. The songs themselves are lyrically smarter than anything else they've done, and Browness' vocals positively ooze class-- his best yet. Moreover, Wilson's signature guitar is much stronger and his soundscapes more vibrant, despite their melancholy tone. The songs do have their (slightly) upbeat sections, but are as a whole slow and sullen-- very enjoyable. Ben Coleman is sadly absent, but the album does have an enjoyable bit of clarinet work to add a rarely heard sound to things.

An amazing listening experience for those ready for it.

Songwriting: 4 Instrumental Performances: 3 Lyrics/Vocals: 4 Style/Emotion/Replay: 5

Send comments to Prog Leviathan (BETA) | Report this review (#140688) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Review by russellk
5 stars Heartbreakingly sensational. NO-MAN finally put music and lyrics together to perfectly sum up the end of a relationship using some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard. Why on earth isn't this band more widely known?

So how good is this? I'm a huge PORCUPINE TREE fan, but this is better than anything in the PT catalogue. I'm a fan of ambient music, and this ranks as my favourite album in that broad genre. And I've loved PINK FLOYD since I was a young teen, and I have no hesitation in saying this is right up there with WISH YOU WERE HERE.

But before I go any further, a warning. This album has none of the immediacy of a PORCUPINE TREE album. There's very little that impresses itself on you at first listen. Ambient music is about the listener actively interacting with the music: you have to put something in. You can't sit back and expect the music to work wonders, and you most certainly can't put it on as background. It requires your active attention.

The first four tracks form an indivisible ambient suite nearly half an hour long. The opener is comparable to 'Flowermouth's 'Angel Caught in the Beauty Trap'. A drill-like opening gives way to an impossibly dreamy soundscape. BOWNESS's voice is more direct here than I've heard in nearly a decade: his delivery is still breathy and matter-of-fact, but there's a tautness speaking of suppressed emotion. I can't help thinking of TALK TALK as this track unfolds, of 'Spirit of Eden'. 'All The Blue Changes' - well, even thinking about it brings a chill. Organ, chattering synth loops and the first percussion on the album lead into BOWNESS's best vocal performance on top of a slow build into cathartic beauty, which bursts into a PORCUPINE TREE-like harmonised chorus (a la 'Trains' or 'Prodigal'): 'The city in a hundred ways/It wouldn't let you stay.' Reminiscent of PINK FLOYD at their best, a modern and more desperate 'Welcome to the Machine', perhaps, or something from Side 2 of 'The Wall', filled with angst and the prospect of dissolution. Lush, addictive, achingly beautiful and hurtful. The third track, titled after the lyrics in the second track (a NO-MAN trick) is a clarinet-led instrumental, a short sounscape leading to 'Things I Want To Tell You', an exercise in slow desperation: 'I'm what you left behind/I'm fading from your mind'. Anyone who has experienced heartache and loss has finally found here a sophisticated voice well beyond the banality of pop sentiments.

'Photographs in Black and White' is a ten-minute minimalist triumph. We are warned: 'You talk so fast/To stop yourself from thinking/You move so fast/So you'll never see you're sinking'. Instead, in the midst of present sorrow, take the time to remember, to reflect on those who loved us. This track has the most gorgeous progression, with ROGER ENO playing harmonium to great effect. A five-minute coda sends chills down the spine: WILSON brings everything he has to the table, all the years of space-rock compositions coming together.

'Back When You Were Beautiful' is another song of loss: 'Friendship comes/But it mostly goes'. This is a slow ballad, closer to PORCUPINE TREE than NO-MAN. Banjo and all, this is recognisably 'In Absentia' territory married with 'The Sky Moves Sideways'. And the album finishes on a plaintive note with 'The Break-Up For Real', another PT-style track, the second on the album to have the increasingly familiar harmonised chorus hook. On my iTunes playlist this last track is replaced with the drum mix version from the eponymous single, and I follow it with '(bluecoda)', an instrumental from the same single that reintroduces the album's opening theme. Five stars either way.

You have to be in the mood for this, and you have to have the time. Some day you will, so get this and be prepared.

Send comments to russellk (BETA) | Report this review (#144954) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
5 stars No-man's music has always intrigued and appealed to me, but the Wilson - Bowness tandem had never entirely convinced me. I always had some kind of issue with the poppy nature of the music or Bowness' vocals. Also their 5th album Together We're Stranger did not entirely engage me at first. The slowly meandering atmosphere did take a lot of time to leave its mark on me. But ever since it did, I've been truly astounded by this album.

None of the previous No-man albums had prepared me for this one. Wilson stripped the arrangement to the bones, only leaving minimalist sketches of slowly flowing ambient guitars and keyboard sounds. It makes for a sombre, moving and very poetic album detailing the break-up of relationships and other hardship. Bowness delivers some of his best vocals ever here. Very quiet and subdued, almost hesitant, but evoking a feeling of fragility and truthfulness.

The slowness and bare approach of the album might put off many listeners, spoilt as we all are by very busy and action-packed music. This is a typical example of an album that takes a while to sink in and I wouldn't recommend it if you are into harsh metal, busy Prog or hot techno right now. That's where I was when I first heard it and it didn't really register then. But if you feel you're ready to be overwhelmed by slow and delicate melancholic mood music, then this is the album you need.

Slow, sad and sometimes almost lethargic, this will register as boring to some, but as fascinatingly beautiful to others. This is an album to listen to when you cannot be diverted by any distractions, so wait until dark and put on those headphones, or surrounded yourself by the lush 5.1 mix.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#285551) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Review by progkidjoel
5 stars Pure beauty transposed into music, pure and simple.

As an album, Together We're Stranger is just that - a collection of truly beautiful music transposed into one disc. On this album of wonderful ambient pop, Bowness and Wilson truly solidify their legacy as no-man, creating just under 50 minutes of sonic wonder. The truly commendable effort of Wilson, tackling a majority of the instrumentation, creates some of the most dense and explorative atmospherics to ever grace my ears, and Bowness' dramatic, dulcet tones, although not everyone's favourite vocal style, match this music perfectly, and pull at the heart strings like very few other albums ever have, or ever will.

The music is mostly soundscape/synthesizer based and has a wonderful lyric set, which mostly seems to confront relationship issues, the loss of loved ones and other facts of life, love and loss. The soundscapes, guitar, banjo, clarinet, strings and vocal work here is unlike any other no-man album (or any other album for that matter) - incredible creativity and imagination is at work here, creating unheard of tones. This is an album best enjoyed on a walk at night, or in one's room alone - put simply, this is not upbeat music in any real shape or form, and features very few pop sensibilities like many of no-man's other works.

The album opens with soft synth on the title track, Wilson awaiting Bowness' vocal input later on in the track. A soaring guitar solo cuts amongst the ambient work here, and the result is truly perfect. Other tracks like All The Blue Changes feature a more definite rhythm, and this movement between structured, beat based music comes in and out of the picture. The spacey, open wide sound returns with Things I Want To Tell You, a maze of haunting vocals, incredibly sad yet beautiful lyrics, plucked guitar and mellotron, which is very easily one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever conceived, recorded or heard. Photographs In Black And White features a sound more similar to the earlier, poppier no-man works, although closes in an incredibly dark fashion. Back When You Were Beautiful is the albums more obvious ballad, but is still brilliant none the less. This melancholic little ditty features some of the most beautiful guitar and vocal interplay I've ever heard, and ranks highly amongst my favourite Wilson releases. The closer, The Break-Up For Real, has a much more harsh, raw sound, although is still absolutely beautiful, and brings this tear-jerker to an end.

As a pop music, ambient lover, or Wilson aficionado, you HAVE to hear this album. As such a curiosity in their discography, it is surprising to see this album receive the band's most critical acclaim, although incredibly well deserved. It is worth mentioning the sonic quality on the 24 bit master, available on the DVD portion of the CD/DVD version, blows the CD's out of the water for sonic fidelity, which is an important factor on this album. Regardless of how, this album MUST be heard!

An easy masterpiece.

Send comments to progkidjoel (BETA) | Report this review (#302760) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 08, 2010

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars No-Man are again a duo, with just a few guests, and there cannot be many bands that have been going fifteen years let alone recording while one of the members is also in a slightly more well-known outfit. Tim Bowness provides the vocals, while Steve Wilson provides all of the instruments and if anyone thinks that this might just sound anything like Porcupine Tree are very much mistaken. This is an album that sees the band really push Tim's vocals to the front, while the music swirls, moves and shifts behind. It is almost New Age at times but there is always a slight hint of menace that drives away the saccharine.

It becomes an album that is timeless, ageless, modern yet harkening back to the Seventies. There are Floydian touches but no-one could ever think that they are copyists. There can be just a gentle piano chord, followed by a line of sung melody. There are songs that are heart- achingly beautiful that if edited might even stand a chance in the charts. It is almost as if their previous albums have been leading up to this, as if Steven has managed to exorcise heavier demons with Porcupine Tree and here has come home to provide a stark view of what can be done. If these guys were designers then they would be minimalist, of that there is no doubt. This is not an album to jump into, you must be prepared to sit back and let it all wash over you (oh and don't turn up the volume at the end of "Things I Want To Tell You" like I did, otherwise you will jump out of your skin when the next song starts). Superb.

Originally appeared in Feedback #73, Jun 03

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#978692) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 15, 2013

5 stars SUCH A BEAUTIFUL PERFECT ALBUM! An evolution to his predecessor 'Returning Jesus', where music gets less beat & rave to become more sentimental, more perfectionist, more clean, maybe more jazzy. All these tendencies have been noticed in that album, those changes have been acclaimed and well rec ... (read more)

Report this review (#113120) | Posted by porcupine_boy | Thursday, February 22, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars First, I am a huge fan of PT and Steve Wilson. Second, I love music that can make world stop. That happened to me the first time that I listened "Together...". Delicate arrangements, speceful keyboards, a beautiful voice, exquisite guitar arrangements... Sometimes, "Together..." looks very sim ... (read more)

Report this review (#73621) | Posted by progadicto | Friday, March 31, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I really wanted to give this 5 stars but I just couldn't because it's not as complete as the other no-man cds I have(what can I say I'm a porcupine tree freak). But now by saying that I can worship it for what it is... It was my first no-man album and my favorite no-man song is on it, ''Back w ... (read more)

Report this review (#45318) | Posted by | Friday, September 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is possibly my favourite non-Porcupine Tree Steven Wilson-related album. Very slow. very atmospheric and very beautiful, the first part of the album consists of four pieces linked by textures, effects and clarinets (Talk Talk-esque), and comes across as a more emotional, vocal-led, versi ... (read more)

Report this review (#18241) | Posted by The Sea Priest | Sunday, April 10, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album gives the word "beauty" a whole new meaning!!! Probably the best of all No- Man releases. I like it even more than my Porcupine Tree's favourite: Lightbulb Sub. The opening suite (tracks 1-4) is 28-minutes of pure ambience. "Photographs In Black And White" is quite long song divided ... (read more)

Report this review (#18238) | Posted by | Friday, May 07, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of NO-MAN "Together We're Stranger"