TOGETHER WE'RE STRANGER

Psychedelic/Space Rock

No-Man Together We're Stranger album cover

Buy NO-MAN Music
Studio Album, released in 2003

1. Together We're Stranger (8:31)
2. All The Blue Changes (7:48)
3. The City In A Hundred Ways (2:23)
4. Things I Want To Tell You (9:03)
5. Photographs In Black And White (10:03)
6. Back When You Were Beautiful (5:07)
7. The Break-up For Real (4:11)

Bonus track on TF18:

1. Tthe Break-up For Real (Drum Mix)

Search NO-MAN Together We're Stranger lyrics

- Ben Castle / clarinets
- Peter Chilvers / space-bass
- Roger Eno / harmonium
- David Picking / percussion, trumpet, sounds

CD K-Scope / Snapper Music SMACD867 (2003)
LP Tonefloat Records (2005)

and to Angelo for the last updates

NO-MAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NO-MAN Together We're Stranger Music

Returning JesusReturning Jesus
Hidden Art 2003
Schoolyard GhostsSchoolyard Ghosts
KSCOPE 2014
All the Blue Changes An Anthology 1988-2003All the Blue Changes An Anthology 1988-2003
United States Of Dist./Ka 2008
Love & EndingsLove & Endings
EMI Import 2012
Loveblows and LovecriesLoveblows and Lovecries
Sony Music Entertain 1994
HOUSE PARTY CLUB CLASSIC VOL 2 FIRST CHOICE LET NO MAN PUT US UNDER LIL LUIS + US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Lene Lovich?LP?NO MAN'S LAND?w/Obi?japan??EX??Promo??!! US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 48m
The Gunshy , Audio CD, No Man's Blues US $8.86 Buy It Now 3h 28m
Danny Scholl - No Man Is An Island 45 Vg Autographed US $5.00 Buy It Now 4h 45m
Let No Man Put Asunder (Part 1) - Audio Deluxe #46652 US $4.85 Buy It Now 9h 34m
BILLY JOEL cd single NO MAN'S LAND 3 tracks US $4.85 Buy It Now 9h 37m
Rachael Mcshane - No Man'S Fool (NEW CD) US $15.00 Buy It Now 11h 58m
First Choice - Let No Man Put Us Under (1995) #10094 US $4.85 Buy It Now 12h 13m
Dynamix Presents Inda Matrix No Man Can Tame Me #78373 US $4.85 Buy It Now 12h 14m
Yasmine Nine - No Man EP - Contrasena - 2002 #334379 US $4.85 Buy It Now 12h 14m
Danny Scholl 45 RPM 1960s No man is an Island ( EX ) US $5.00 Buy It Now 12h 45m
Pop Promo 45 Johnny Mathis - No Man Can Stand Alone / Every Step Of The Way On C US $5.00 Buy It Now 13h 8m
Warp 9 - No Man Is An Island (Remix) - 1983 #230056 US $6.48 Buy It Now 13h 59m
NO MAN'S LAND - NEW CD US $13.73 Buy It Now 14h 27m
Warp 9 - No Man Is An Island REMIX - PRISM RECORDS ORIGINAL PRESSING - ELECTRO US $9.99 Buy It Now 15h 42m
Manijama - No No No - Man 1 - 2002 #83460 US $6.48 Buy It Now 17h 35m
Mantra - Don't Need No Man Unreleased Projects #172683 US $6.48 Buy It Now 17h 36m
TIM BUCKLEY - Goodbye and Hello (2000 CD) No Man Can Find The War/Once I Was US $2.69 [8 bids]
No Man's Land - We Are Becoming CD US $25.00 Buy It Now 20h 48m
Win! Instantly! by No Man (US) (CD, Jan-1989, SST) US $5.95 Buy It Now 21h 17m
CD* Trust No Man - SPANISH FLY *** RARE HIP HOP *** US $31.50 Buy It Now 21h 25m
(C837) Beverley Knight, No Man's Land - DJ CD US $3.17 Buy It Now 21h 57m
Wild Opera, No-Man, Good US $14.90 Buy It Now 23h 7m
Ain't No Man (Brothers In Rhythm Remix) - DMC #4238 US $6.48 Buy It Now 23h 23m
First Choice - Let No Man Put Asunder (Remix) #277462 US $6.48 Buy It Now 23h 24m
Let No Man Put Asunder (2006 Remix) - 2006 #267980 US $6.48 Buy It Now 23h 24m
Let No Man Put Asunder (Masters At Work Remix) #7197 US $6.48 Buy It Now 23h 24m
ELLA FITZGERALD - LET NO MAN WRITE MY EPITAPH (HYBRID) NEW SACD US $49.73 Buy It Now 1 day
No Man Days in The Trees 12" Vinyl Porcupine Tree Steven Wilson US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
PEACOCK,CHARLIE-NO MAN`S LAND (2PK) VINYL LP NEW US $27.80 Buy It Now 1 day
First Choice Let No Man Vinyl 12" WBMX Disco Chicago House Music New York Garage US $3.99 [0 bids]
First Choice Let No Man Vinyl 12 WBMX Disco Acapella House Music New York Garage US $3.99 [0 bids]
LENE LOVICH no man's land SEEZ 44 A1/B1 1st pressing uk stiff 1982 LP PS EX/EX US $14.59 Buy It Now 1 day
BRUNSON rev. milton NO MAN IS AN ISLAND wings of a dove SATISFIED MIND new cd US $7.88 [0 bids]
No-Man - Together We're Stranger (2014) CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $21.02 Buy It Now 1 day
No-Man - Together We're Stranger (15TH SEP) CD ALBUM NEW/MINT US $19.47 Buy It Now 1 day
SINEAD O'CONNOR No Man's Woman 1 Track Promo CD Single Germany 2000 US $4.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Roger Miller - No Man Is Hurting Me - Ace of Hearts Records - SEALED LP! US $4.99 [0 bids]
Mary J. Blige ?- Let No Man Put Asunder / Deep Inside / As US $3.74 Buy It Now 1 day
NO-MAN - SPEAK - 180GM VINYL US $33.59 Buy It Now 1 day
MG VS-64043 Ella Fitzgerald - SINGS. LET NO MAN WRITE MY EPITAPH - 200g VINYL US $33.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Orson Wells - No Man is an Island + 8 LP - Decca Records DL 9060 - SEALED US $9.99 [1 bids]
LENE LOVICH: No Man's Land LP (UK, clear vinyl, toc) Rock & Pop US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Wilma Burgess 45 "Misty Blue / Ain't Got No Man" ~ DJ Promo - Decca ~ VG++ US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
No Man CD How The West Was Won sealed new US SST Mission of Burma Roger Miller US $3.05 Buy It Now 1 day
Anna Maria Soprano - Watch Out! Let No Man Seduce You! [CD New] US $25.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Speak [Italy] by No-Man (UK) (CD, Sep-2009, Kscope) US $9.26 Buy It Now 1 day
NO -MAN - SPEAK NEW CD US $17.16 Buy It Now 1 day
No Man : How the West Was Won CD (1991) US $4.98 Buy It Now 1 day
No Man is an Island & Other Great Poems - David Allen - LP US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
no-man Wherever There is Light CD-Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree sealed US $4.99 [0 bids]
no-man Together We're Stranger 2 disc-Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree sealed US $9.99 [0 bids]
HEAR Solomon Burke 45 Walking In A Dream/No Man Walks Alone APOLLO 500 soul R US $9.00 Buy It Now 2 days
LENE LOVICH - NO MAN'S LAND LP. STIFF EPIC/CBS RECORDS 1982. Vinyl US $2.99 [0 bids]
NO MAN - HOW THE WEST WAS WON ROGER MILLER MISSION OF BURMA GUITARIST SEALED CD US $6.95 Buy It Now 2 days
WAYNE KEMP NM Turn Me Loose 45 Just Got Back From No Man's Land 57053 Mercury 7" US $19.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Lene Lovich No Man's Land Us Lp US $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Ella Fitzgerald Let No Man Write My Epitaph record vinyl original Verve press US $20.50 [0 bids]
No Man's Land "Scattered Around And Buried" oi indonesia skinhead punk ACAB US $9.72 Buy It Now 2 days
BILLY JOEL - No Man's Land (UK 3 Track CD Single Pt 1) US $5.34 Buy It Now 2 days
BILLY JOEL - No Man's Land (USA 1 Tk Radio/DJ CD Single) US $6.48 Buy It Now 2 days
BILLY JOEL - No Man's Land (EU 2 Track CD Single) US $5.34 Buy It Now 2 days
Rachael Mcshane - No Man's Fool [CD New] US $14.96 Buy It Now 2 days
BILLY JOEL - No Man's Land (UK 4 Track CD Single Pt 2) US $5.34 Buy It Now 2 days
Billy Joel - No Man's Land + Live Trks IMPORT CD Listen US $5.59 Buy It Now 2 days
Immigrate Us - No Man's Religion - Japan CD J-POP US $11.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BILLY JOEL - THE RIVER OF DREAMS/NO MAN'S LAND - 45 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Chicano Rap CD Miss Lady Pinks - Trust No Man - Mr. Criminal Ese Menace Lil G US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Rare Original TV Soundtrack Star Trek: The Cage/Where No Man Has Gone Before US $29.21 [0 bids]
How the West Was Won by No Man (US) (CD, Aug-1991, SST) US $4.50 [0 bids]
Together We're Stranger by No-Man (UK) (CD, May-2007, Snapper) US $4.50 [0 bids]
REV MILTON BRUNSON no man is an island LP VG+ HBX 2119 Gospel Funk Soul HOB US $100.00 Buy It Now 2 days
No-Man - Speak [CD New] US $11.75 Buy It Now 2 days
BARLEY BREE: No Man's Land (folk vinyl LP) US $18.00 Buy It Now 2 days
No Man's Land - Subtractivelad New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $21.88 Buy It Now 2 days
Henry Fool - Men Singing (CD 2013) No-Man/Roxy Music US $5.84 [3 bids]
Dominique Preschez - No Man S Land [CD New] US $41.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Miss Lady Pinks - Trust No Man Ft. Mr. Capone-e, Mr. Criminal, Hi Power Soldiers US $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LENE LOVICH NO MANS LAND NO-MAN'S-LAND ARE 38399 STIFF EPIC RECORD LP VINYL COVE US $3.99 [0 bids]
SINEAD O'CONNOR No Man's Woman 2000 UK 1-trk promo CD single US $6.48 Buy It Now 2 days
PORCUPINE TREE - Nil Recurring (2008 CD) steven Wilson, No Man, Robert Fripp US $10.54 [0 bids]
PORCUPINE TREE - Recordings (2010 CD) Steven Wilson. No Man. US $16.22 [0 bids]
Billy Joel No Man's Land & The River of Dreams Columbia 38-77086 VG US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LENE LOVICH No Man's Land STIFF LP US $7.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Sharon Redd - Ula Hedwig - Charolotte Crossley - Ain't No Man Worth It US $0.99 [0 bids]
THE LIMELITERS-No Man Is An Island/RCA 47-8361/wlp promo/1964 Folk/Pop-45rpm US $8.94 [0 bids]
LENE LOVICH "NO-MAN'S-LAND" LP STEREO 1982 US $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Star Trek "THE CAGE & "WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE" Vinyl LP Record Soundtrack US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BUS BOYS Money Don't make No Man FACTORY SEALED LP Voss 72915 (1988) US $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
The Bus Boys CD Money Don't Make No Man (CD, Oct-2011, JDC Records) US $4.95 [0 bids]
SPHERICAL OBJECTS - FURTHER ELLIPSES / NO MAN'S LAND NEW CD US $24.20 Buy It Now 2 days
NO-MAN (UK) - HEAVEN TASTE - NEW CD US $12.21 Buy It Now 2 days
Wilma Burgess 45 Misty Blue / Ain't Got NO Man US $2.00 Buy It Now 2 days
SPANISH FLY TRUST NO MAN CHICANO RAP CD RARE US $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BLOW 3-11,CD,b.Low,Visiting Places Where No Man Has Gone Below US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
NEW THE BUSBOYS Money Don't Make No Man Bus Boys 1988 Voss Records Cassette Tape US $9.98 Buy It Now 3 days
WILMA BURGESS (7"single) MISTY BLUE / AIN'T GOT NO MAN / Decca Records: USA US $3.23 [0 bids]
NO MAN'S WOMAN - NEW CD US $34.64 Buy It Now 3 days
No Man (Shut Your Mouth) CD US $2.26 Buy It Now 3 days
Johnson Brothers "No Man's Land - Gallipoli" Rare Oz 7" US $13.54 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy NO-MAN music online Buy NO-MAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NO-MAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NO-MAN Together We're Stranger ratings distribution

NO-MAN Together We're Stranger reviews

Review by loserboy
4 stars I have a few NO-MAN albums in my collection and still wonder why these guys have not been talked about a whole lot more. "Together We're Stranger" is another fantastic slow paced dream-like symphonic beauty. NO-MAN is the collaboration of PORCUPINE TREE's Steven Wilson and life long pal Tim Bowness who seem to have some sort of a unique musical chemistry when working together. Gone from this album is even a trace of the early dance beat tendencies with all energy on this album spent in the depth and mood creations. I must tell you that this album is one of my albums from 2004 that "blew me away" and I have played this CD to death. Hard to exactly peg this album but I would say is somewhat reminiscent of the slow instrumental transcendental aspects of PORCUPINE TREE. As usual there are a host of other guest musicians who help shape this rather delicate album including Roger Eno on harmonium. Essentially a great album to mellow out to and a perfect album for the cottage life.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#40168) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, July 24, 2005

Review by greenback
3 stars This melancholic record is very hard to classify: while often being very ambient, linear and hypnotic, it is not very progressive, and it contains psychedelic and spacy textures. It sounds a bit like Radiohead's "Treefingers" and the mellow moments of Porcupine Tree. The rhythm is VERY slow, and the miscellaneous very ethereal electric guitar loops and keyboards slightly remind me David Torn's work with Mark Isham (Castalia) and David Sylvian (Secret of the beehive), Robert Fripp's ethereal work with Brian Eno and David Sylvian, David Helpling, Pink Floyd circa "Division Bell", or even Terje Rypdal. The soundscapes are very original and unique. There are some good & serious piano on a couples of tracks. The bad thing is the lead vocals: they have an unpleasant, depressive, cheap & gross tone belonging to bands like Porcupine Tree, Riverside and Opeth: the lead vocals partly kill the good elements provided by the guitars and the keyboards: I try to concentrate on the rest of the instruments in order to give a proper evaluation.

This record truly has great soundscapes, especially on the first track "Together we're strangers". "The city in a hundred ways" contains strange clarinet textures and ethereal floating keyboards in the background: it is interesting but it has to not last too long. "Things I want to tell you" contains excellent lush & echoed acoustic guitars with ethereal floating keyboards in the background. The folkier "Back when you were beautiful" and "Break-up for real" remind me the most melancholic parts of Barclay James Harvest and Pink Floyd. Radiohead should take a lesson from No Man: the electronic album "Kid A" has nothing memorable compared to this record! Finally, this is a good record that many young people should like.

Rating: 3.5 stars

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#61482) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 23, 2005

5 stars It took me a long time (too long) for me to appreciate this album. It was hard to get past how slow moving and ambient it is.The atmosphere is so thick, and the lyrics so well done that when I finally came around I was left in awe of what they've done.

The title track has so much atmosphere as Tim sings slowly. "All The Blue Changes" has a little more life instrumentally but not not vocally. Incredible sound 3 1/2 minutes in that doesn't start to let up until around the 6 minute mark. "The City In A Hundred Ways" is a short track with horns and again lots of atmosphere. It blends into "Things I Want To Tell You". Acoustic guitar comes in and then the vocals. So much spacey atmosphere here as well.

"Photographs In Black And White" opens with strummed guitar and spacey sounds as vocals come in. Emotional lyrics. And talking about emotion check out my favourite track "Back When You Were Beautiful". It's cool that Stephen Bennett is playing organ on this one. He is an important part of the HENRY FOOL band that Tim Bowness sings on. "The Break-Up For Real" could be on a PORCUPINE TREE album. Strummed guitar and vocals lead the way. Steven's backup vocals are great. Piano is a nice touch too. Again the lyrics are moving.

A solid 4 stars and no doubt one of their best yet.

Edit 10/29/10 Wow it's been over 4 years since I reviewed this album. I originally gave it 3 stars but bumped it up to 4 stars and here I am giving it the full blown stars ! It's almost shocking how much atmosphere is on this disc. It overwhelmes me and the emotion is right at the surface when listening to this album. Wondrous simply wondrous.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#89866) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 17, 2006

Review by Prog Leviathan
4 stars "Together We're Stranger" is No-Man's deepest, most soulful, and enjoyable album to date-- focusing entirely on delicate ambience and intricate song writing; it is the only one of their albums I heartily recommend to fans coming from outside the genre, and will unfailingly impress any going in with an open mind.

First, the recording quality is top-notch, allowing the listener to be swept away by the rich atmospheres. The songs themselves are lyrically smarter than anything else they've done, and Browness' vocals positively ooze class-- his best yet. Moreover, Wilson's signature guitar is much stronger and his soundscapes more vibrant, despite their melancholy tone. The songs do have their (slightly) upbeat sections, but are as a whole slow and sullen-- very enjoyable. Ben Coleman is sadly absent, but the album does have an enjoyable bit of clarinet work to add a rarely heard sound to things.

An amazing listening experience for those ready for it.

Songwriting: 4 Instrumental Performances: 3 Lyrics/Vocals: 4 Style/Emotion/Replay: 5

Send comments to Prog Leviathan (BETA) | Report this review (#140688) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Review by russellk
5 stars Heartbreakingly sensational. NO-MAN finally put music and lyrics together to perfectly sum up the end of a relationship using some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard. Why on earth isn't this band more widely known?

So how good is this? I'm a huge PORCUPINE TREE fan, but this is better than anything in the PT catalogue. I'm a fan of ambient music, and this ranks as my favourite album in that broad genre. And I've loved PINK FLOYD since I was a young teen, and I have no hesitation in saying this is right up there with WISH YOU WERE HERE.

But before I go any further, a warning. This album has none of the immediacy of a PORCUPINE TREE album. There's very little that impresses itself on you at first listen. Ambient music is about the listener actively interacting with the music: you have to put something in. You can't sit back and expect the music to work wonders, and you most certainly can't put it on as background. It requires your active attention.

The first four tracks form an indivisible ambient suite nearly half an hour long. The opener is comparable to 'Flowermouth's 'Angel Caught in the Beauty Trap'. A drill-like opening gives way to an impossibly dreamy soundscape. BOWNESS's voice is more direct here than I've heard in nearly a decade: his delivery is still breathy and matter-of-fact, but there's a tautness speaking of suppressed emotion. I can't help thinking of TALK TALK as this track unfolds, of 'Spirit of Eden'. 'All The Blue Changes' - well, even thinking about it brings a chill. Organ, chattering synth loops and the first percussion on the album lead into BOWNESS's best vocal performance on top of a slow build into cathartic beauty, which bursts into a PORCUPINE TREE-like harmonised chorus (a la 'Trains' or 'Prodigal'): 'The city in a hundred ways/It wouldn't let you stay.' Reminiscent of PINK FLOYD at their best, a modern and more desperate 'Welcome to the Machine', perhaps, or something from Side 2 of 'The Wall', filled with angst and the prospect of dissolution. Lush, addictive, achingly beautiful and hurtful. The third track, titled after the lyrics in the second track (a NO-MAN trick) is a clarinet-led instrumental, a short sounscape leading to 'Things I Want To Tell You', an exercise in slow desperation: 'I'm what you left behind/I'm fading from your mind'. Anyone who has experienced heartache and loss has finally found here a sophisticated voice well beyond the banality of pop sentiments.

'Photographs in Black and White' is a ten-minute minimalist triumph. We are warned: 'You talk so fast/To stop yourself from thinking/You move so fast/So you'll never see you're sinking'. Instead, in the midst of present sorrow, take the time to remember, to reflect on those who loved us. This track has the most gorgeous progression, with ROGER ENO playing harmonium to great effect. A five-minute coda sends chills down the spine: WILSON brings everything he has to the table, all the years of space-rock compositions coming together.

'Back When You Were Beautiful' is another song of loss: 'Friendship comes/But it mostly goes'. This is a slow ballad, closer to PORCUPINE TREE than NO-MAN. Banjo and all, this is recognisably 'In Absentia' territory married with 'The Sky Moves Sideways'. And the album finishes on a plaintive note with 'The Break-Up For Real', another PT-style track, the second on the album to have the increasingly familiar harmonised chorus hook. On my iTunes playlist this last track is replaced with the drum mix version from the eponymous single, and I follow it with '(bluecoda)', an instrumental from the same single that reintroduces the album's opening theme. Five stars either way.

You have to be in the mood for this, and you have to have the time. Some day you will, so get this and be prepared.

Send comments to russellk (BETA) | Report this review (#144954) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
5 stars No-man's music has always intrigued and appealed to me, but the Wilson - Bowness tandem had never entirely convinced me. I always had some kind of issue with the poppy nature of the music or Bowness' vocals. Also their 5th album Together We're Stranger did not entirely engage me at first. The slowly meandering atmosphere did take a lot of time to leave its mark on me. But ever since it did, I've been truly astounded by this album.

None of the previous No-man albums had prepared me for this one. Wilson stripped the arrangement to the bones, only leaving minimalist sketches of slowly flowing ambient guitars and keyboard sounds. It makes for a sombre, moving and very poetic album detailing the break-up of relationships and other hardship. Bowness delivers some of his best vocals ever here. Very quiet and subdued, almost hesitant, but evoking a feeling of fragility and truthfulness.

The slowness and bare approach of the album might put off many listeners, spoilt as we all are by very busy and action-packed music. This is a typical example of an album that takes a while to sink in and I wouldn't recommend it if you are into harsh metal, busy Prog or hot techno right now. That's where I was when I first heard it and it didn't really register then. But if you feel you're ready to be overwhelmed by slow and delicate melancholic mood music, then this is the album you need.

Slow, sad and sometimes almost lethargic, this will register as boring to some, but as fascinatingly beautiful to others. This is an album to listen to when you cannot be diverted by any distractions, so wait until dark and put on those headphones, or surrounded yourself by the lush 5.1 mix.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#285551) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Review by progkidjoel
5 stars Pure beauty transposed into music, pure and simple.

As an album, Together We're Stranger is just that - a collection of truly beautiful music transposed into one disc. On this album of wonderful ambient pop, Bowness and Wilson truly solidify their legacy as no-man, creating just under 50 minutes of sonic wonder. The truly commendable effort of Wilson, tackling a majority of the instrumentation, creates some of the most dense and explorative atmospherics to ever grace my ears, and Bowness' dramatic, dulcet tones, although not everyone's favourite vocal style, match this music perfectly, and pull at the heart strings like very few other albums ever have, or ever will.

The music is mostly soundscape/synthesizer based and has a wonderful lyric set, which mostly seems to confront relationship issues, the loss of loved ones and other facts of life, love and loss. The soundscapes, guitar, banjo, clarinet, strings and vocal work here is unlike any other no-man album (or any other album for that matter) - incredible creativity and imagination is at work here, creating unheard of tones. This is an album best enjoyed on a walk at night, or in one's room alone - put simply, this is not upbeat music in any real shape or form, and features very few pop sensibilities like many of no-man's other works.

The album opens with soft synth on the title track, Wilson awaiting Bowness' vocal input later on in the track. A soaring guitar solo cuts amongst the ambient work here, and the result is truly perfect. Other tracks like All The Blue Changes feature a more definite rhythm, and this movement between structured, beat based music comes in and out of the picture. The spacey, open wide sound returns with Things I Want To Tell You, a maze of haunting vocals, incredibly sad yet beautiful lyrics, plucked guitar and mellotron, which is very easily one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever conceived, recorded or heard. Photographs In Black And White features a sound more similar to the earlier, poppier no-man works, although closes in an incredibly dark fashion. Back When You Were Beautiful is the albums more obvious ballad, but is still brilliant none the less. This melancholic little ditty features some of the most beautiful guitar and vocal interplay I've ever heard, and ranks highly amongst my favourite Wilson releases. The closer, The Break-Up For Real, has a much more harsh, raw sound, although is still absolutely beautiful, and brings this tear-jerker to an end.

As a pop music, ambient lover, or Wilson aficionado, you HAVE to hear this album. As such a curiosity in their discography, it is surprising to see this album receive the band's most critical acclaim, although incredibly well deserved. It is worth mentioning the sonic quality on the 24 bit master, available on the DVD portion of the CD/DVD version, blows the CD's out of the water for sonic fidelity, which is an important factor on this album. Regardless of how, this album MUST be heard!

An easy masterpiece.

Send comments to progkidjoel (BETA) | Report this review (#302760) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 08, 2010

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars No-Man are again a duo, with just a few guests, and there cannot be many bands that have been going fifteen years let alone recording while one of the members is also in a slightly more well-known outfit. Tim Bowness provides the vocals, while Steve Wilson provides all of the instruments and if anyone thinks that this might just sound anything like Porcupine Tree are very much mistaken. This is an album that sees the band really push Tim's vocals to the front, while the music swirls, moves and shifts behind. It is almost New Age at times but there is always a slight hint of menace that drives away the saccharine.

It becomes an album that is timeless, ageless, modern yet harkening back to the Seventies. There are Floydian touches but no-one could ever think that they are copyists. There can be just a gentle piano chord, followed by a line of sung melody. There are songs that are heart- achingly beautiful that if edited might even stand a chance in the charts. It is almost as if their previous albums have been leading up to this, as if Steven has managed to exorcise heavier demons with Porcupine Tree and here has come home to provide a stark view of what can be done. If these guys were designers then they would be minimalist, of that there is no doubt. This is not an album to jump into, you must be prepared to sit back and let it all wash over you (oh and don't turn up the volume at the end of "Things I Want To Tell You" like I did, otherwise you will jump out of your skin when the next song starts). Superb.

Originally appeared in Feedback #73, Jun 03

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#978692) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 15, 2013

5 stars SUCH A BEAUTIFUL PERFECT ALBUM! An evolution to his predecessor 'Returning Jesus', where music gets less beat & rave to become more sentimental, more perfectionist, more clean, maybe more jazzy. All these tendencies have been noticed in that album, those changes have been acclaimed and well rec ... (read more)

Report this review (#113120) | Posted by porcupine_boy | Thursday, February 22, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars First, I am a huge fan of PT and Steve Wilson. Second, I love music that can make world stop. That happened to me the first time that I listened "Together...". Delicate arrangements, speceful keyboards, a beautiful voice, exquisite guitar arrangements... Sometimes, "Together..." looks very sim ... (read more)

Report this review (#73621) | Posted by progadicto | Friday, March 31, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I really wanted to give this 5 stars but I just couldn't because it's not as complete as the other no-man cds I have(what can I say I'm a porcupine tree freak). But now by saying that I can worship it for what it is... It was my first no-man album and my favorite no-man song is on it, ''Back w ... (read more)

Report this review (#45318) | Posted by | Friday, September 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is possibly my favourite non-Porcupine Tree Steven Wilson-related album. Very slow. very atmospheric and very beautiful, the first part of the album consists of four pieces linked by textures, effects and clarinets (Talk Talk-esque), and comes across as a more emotional, vocal-led, versi ... (read more)

Report this review (#18241) | Posted by The Sea Priest | Sunday, April 10, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album gives the word "beauty" a whole new meaning!!! Probably the best of all No- Man releases. I like it even more than my Porcupine Tree's favourite: Lightbulb Sub. The opening suite (tracks 1-4) is 28-minutes of pure ambience. "Photographs In Black And White" is quite long song divided ... (read more)

Report this review (#18238) | Posted by | Friday, May 07, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of NO-MAN "Together We're Stranger"