THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE WORLD

Shaun Taylor-Steels - drums
Jonny Maudling - Keyboards

Peaceville Records
October 12th, 1999

Thanks to J-Man for the addition

MY DYING BRIDE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MY DYING BRIDE The Light at the End of the World Music

Peaceville UK 2007
Turn Loose the SwansTurn Loose the Swans
Extra tracks
Peaceville 2003
My Dying Bride-A line of deathless kings-CD BOX-2006-Peaceville-used US $14.66 Buy It Now 1h 54m
UNSILENCE Under A Torn Sky LP MY DYING BRIDE OPETH PENTAGRAM SAINT VITUS US $11.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Songs Of Darkness Words Of Light CD US $15.46 Buy It Now 4h 2m
My Dying Bride - Trinity - Polish Release US $11.00 Buy It Now 7h 19m
MY DYING BRIDE A MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES BEANIE SKI HAT US $19.88 Buy It Now 8h 16m
MY DYING BRIDE - FOR DARKEST EYES - *NEW DVD* *SEALED* US $7.57 Buy It Now 10h 53m
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans [CD New] US $12.23 Buy It Now 11h 5m
My Dying Bride As The Flower Withers Slipcase CD 2001 Peaceville Records US $7.44 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride A Line of Deathless Kings Limited Box CD 2006 Peaceville Records US $14.91 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE-TURN LOOSE THE SWANS-CD 2003-DIGIPAK+3 BONUS TRACKS-REMASTERED US $16.56 Buy It Now 14h 50m
MY DYING BRIDE-THE ANGEL AND THE DARK RIVER-CD 2003-DIGIPAK+4 BONUS TRACKS US $16.56 Buy It Now 14h 59m
3 BOX SET FROM:MY DYING BRIDE PARADISE LOST KATATONIA US $89.99 Buy It Now 15h
MY DYING BRIDE-THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE WORLD-CD 2004-DIGIPAK-MINT US $16.56 Buy It Now 15h 7m
MY DYING BRIDE-DREADFUL HOURS-CD 2001-DIGIPAK-UK 1ST ISSUE+BOOKLET US $16.56 Buy It Now 15h 16m
MY DYING BRIDE-LIKE GODS OF THE SUN-CD 2001+SLIPCASE US $11.59 Buy It Now 15h 25m
LOT OF 3CD'S MY DYING BRIDE - DARK SANCTUARY - THE SOIL BLEEDS BLACK DOOM/METAL US $8.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE LOT OF 3 CD'S .METAL Turn Loose The Swans/Songs Of Darkness... US $14.99 [0 bids]
And Here I Lie "Regrets" RARE/OOP Doom,Thorns of the Carrion,My Dying Bride US $28.00 Buy It Now 20h 34m
MY DYING BRIDE Like gods of the sun US $3.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans CD US $15.46 Buy It Now 1 day
KATATONIA FOR FUNERALS TO COME CD 1995 AV009 anathema my dying bride opeth US $26.99 Buy It Now 1 day
HEDON CRIES - Affliction's Fiction (CD 2007) Anathema My Dying Bride Saturnus US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
KATATONIA Dead End Kings double LP my dying bride anathema paradise lost tiamat US $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - I Am The Bloody Earth 12" 1st Press 2 Track EP US $8.27 [1 bids]
My Dying Bride - Symphonaire Infernus Et Spera Empyrium 12" 1st Press 2 Track EP US $10.78 [2 bids]
My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers 12" Vinyl LP - 1st Press US $9.45 [2 bids]
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans Double 12" Vinyl Gatefold LP - 1st Press US $81.23 [12 bids]
CRADLE OF FILTH Embroidered Logo PATCH MY DYING BRIDE AT THE GATES DIMMU BORGIR US $5.39 Buy It Now 1 day
THE GARDNERZ Embroidered Logo PATCH My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Anathema US $5.39 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE "A Map of All Our Failures" 2LP 2012 Peaceville Records (Vinyl) US $33.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE Embroidered Logo PATCH ANATHEMA SOLSTICE BAL SAGOTH US $5.39 Buy It Now 1 day
Paradise Lost-S/T Self Titled RARE CD 2005 BMG Anathema My Dying Bride style US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
KUOLEMANLAAKSO- Tulijoutsen cd NEW Swallow The Sun Barren Earth My Dying Bride US $6.13 [3 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE- A Map Of All Our Failures cd NEW Swallow The Sun Paradise Lost US $1.64 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride For Lies I Sire CD 2009 Peaceville Records US $8.27 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Trinity CD 2004 doom collection Peaceville US $12.95 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Evinta 2CD 2011 digibook symphonic doom Peaceville US $13.95 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - A Map of All Our Failures CD 2012 doom Peaceville US $13.95 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE PATCH 2 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1 day
AVERNUS-Of the fallen cd OOP Novembers Doom Somnus My Dying Bride US $14.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE CASSETTE, Turn Loose The Swans, Futurist, Peaceville US $7.88 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK 2 [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $10.44 Buy It Now 1 day
Meisterwerk V.2 by My Dying Bride (Digipak, Mar-2004, Peaceville Records (USA)) US $24.99 [0 bids]
MOURNING BELOVETH-THE SULLEN SULCUS-CD-my dying bride-paradise lost-melodic-doom US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - LINE OF DEATHLESS KINGS - NEW CD US $19.29 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - FOR LIES I SIRE NEW CD US $24.30 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - 34.788% COMPLETE - BONUS TRACK (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.77 Buy It Now 1 day
MOURNING BELOVETH-THE SULLEN SULCUS-CD-OOP-melodic-doom-anathema-my dying bride US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE I Am The Bloody Earth RARE 1994 OOP UK CD Single Ex/Ex Vile44TCD US $26.51 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE Turn Loose The Swans 3 Bonus Tracks CD (New) US $18.70 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA - CDVILEF324 US $13.15 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - 34.788 Complete [CD New] US $12.23 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire [CD New] US $13.86 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun (Japan+2) / 11 Track US $9.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Trinity (Japan+1) / 10 Track US $9.99 [0 bids]
BLOODSTOCK METAL FEST 2006 Programme MY DYING BRIDE DEATHSTARS PRIMAL FEAR US $1.64 [0 bids]
THERGOTHON Fhtagn-nagh Yog-Sothoth LP unholy demilich beherit my dying bride von US $45.00 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride 34.788% Complete Digipack CD 2004 Peaceville Records US $8.27 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods of the Sun, Import, doom, lost, anathema, opeth, slayer US $2.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride The Light At The End Of The World Digipack CD 2004 Peaceville US $8.27 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride The Dreadful Hours Digipack CD 2001 Peaceville US $8.27 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride Songs of Darkness Words of Light Digipack CD 2004 Peaceville US $8.27 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride The Angel and the Dark River cd sealed US $21.24 Buy It Now 2 days
Ashes you leave - The inheritance of sin CD 1st Press My dying bride Ophis US $30.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - TURN LOOSE THE SWANS (180GM) NEW VINYL US $55.65 Buy It Now 2 days
THE ORGAN FANZINE ISSUE 148 JAN 2006 - NINA HAGEN - LIARS - MY DYING BRIDE US $14.91 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride: Turn Loose The Swans Special Edition 2 CD Set 2013 Digibook NEW US $15.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Like Gods of the Sun - My Dying Bride New & Sealed LP Free Shipping US $37.65 Buy It Now 2 days
THE KNELL - Harm (CD 2007) Doom Death Metal Esoteric Draconian My Dying Bride US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
NEX-ZERO-CD-doom-my dying bride-anathema-watain-nominon US $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE the thrash of naked limbs CD (shipping are not 3 $ !!!) US $23.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE i am the bloody earth CD (shipping are not 3 $ !!!) US $23.00 [0 bids]
My dying bride - like gods of the sun LP first press VILE 65 US $125.00 Buy It Now 3 days
COLD COLOURS-COLD COLOURS (2013) US DARK METAL ROTTING CHRIST MY DYING BRIDE US $2.99 [0 bids]
SILENT STREAM OF GODLESS ELEGY-RELIC DANCES NEW LP MY DYING BRIDE DOOM/DEATH US $36.99 [0 bids]
MORGAIN Abandoned In The Forest... CD My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Kathatonia US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - Turn Loose the Swans US $10.77 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - A Map of All Our Failures US $12.89 Buy It Now 3 days
HEDON CRIES-HATE INTO GRIEF (2003 GR DOOM/DEATH DARK TRANQUILLITY MY DYING BRIDE US $2.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - A MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES - CDVILEF407 US $19.12 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans [Vinyl New] US $43.39 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE logo LANYARD official licensed merchandise US $8.27 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE logo white/black SWEATBAND official merchandise US $8.27 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride "Turn Loose the Swans" 2013 2cd Special Edition Sealed Digibook US $15.74 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride "An Ode To Woe" Live 2 disc cd/dvd 2008 Sealed US $11.52 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride "Introducing" 2013 2cd set Sealed US $11.03 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA [3 DISCS] - NEW CD BOXSET US $35.50 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride-Meisterwerk 1 Digipak US $40.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride live concert London 19th December 1996 small poster print A5 size US $24.85 Buy It Now 3 days
The Angel and the Dark River by My Dying Bride (Cassette, Feb-1996, Fierce) US $20.00 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE "Trinity" (1st press,VERY RARE!!!) Phlebotomized,Saturnus US $16.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE A LINE OF DEATHLESS KINGS CD 2006 PEACEVILLE doom gothic metal US $0.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - Trinity:T-shirt NEW - LARGE ONLY US $28.05 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA [2 DISCS] [801056832429] - NEW CD BOXSET US $23.18 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA NEW CD US $61.48 Buy It Now 3 days
PARADISE LOST PRINTED PATCH MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA KATATONIA MOONSPELL CEMETARY US $4.00 Buy It Now 4 days
MY DYING BRIDE "THE ANGEL AND THE DARK RIVER" LIMITED EDITION 2 CD UNRELEASED US $40.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers - Tape US $7.00 Buy It Now 4 days
My Dying Bride - The Light at the end of the World - Tape US $5.00 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy MY DYING BRIDE music online Buy MY DYING BRIDE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MY DYING BRIDE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MY DYING BRIDE The Light at the End of the World ratings distribution

MY DYING BRIDE The Light at the End of the World reviews

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars After two masterful albums in the early 90's, MDB quickly disappeared from my radar. The following three albums were average at best and didn't seem to capture the magic of the early days. So if MDB wanted to regain any credibility amongst their fans and the metal press, their sixth album really had to deliver.

And luckily they did.

MDB sounds reborn, they returned to the epic grandeur of the early years, but it's not a mindless return. The album also integrates the feel for melody that MDB had developed over the preceding albums. The violin player has been replaced by dark symphonic keyboards that complete the crunchy guitars perfectly. The harmonic development of the riffs and chords is brilliant, especially on the albums highlights such as She Is Dark, The Isis Script and the monstrous Edenbeast. If anyone doubted MDB's Prog credentials, then here is where you'll find them abundantly. Superb 5 star progressive doom bliss here.

Also the firing Fever Sea and the touching sadness of the closing Sear Me III are excellent. Next to the songwriting quality, the best surprise comes from Aaron's vocals. Not only did he manage to give his clean vocals an understated power smouldering with inner fire, he also found his confidence back to unleash his raw vocals again, varying sinister rasps, rough shrieks and low growls. He's really a great vocalists when he has inspired music and melodies to back him up.

There are a couple of lesser moments, the title track is rather dreary in its slow parts, Into The Lake of Ghost struggles through its bland verses, and Christliar sounds a bit formulaic. But mostly the material is either superb or very good.

The Light at the End of the World is the first in a string of three very solid MDB albums that form the pinnacle of their discography for me. Highly recommended for fans of Opeth, Agalloch and Edge Of Sanity.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#281210) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 10, 2010

Review by b_olariu
5 stars MY Dying Bride is one of my fav bands when talking about extreme metal. A band that remains big and well known across the years even they had some more experimental albums in their catalogue in contrast with the excellent rough and in same time very elaborated releases like this one. After not so succesfull previous album, quite experimental and very commercial in places, they return after a year in 1999 with, their most acomplished album they ever done - The Light at the End of the World. Released at Peaceville records, this is a huge succes in their career, and for sure one of the best albums ever made from extreme rought metal music, simply said this is excellent. Some line-up changes and Calvin Robertshaw, guitarist of My Dying Bride since their very beginning, and Bill Law, drummer of the band only for "34.788% Complete", are no longer part of the doomed family of My Dying Bride. This time all the guitars have been performed by Andrew Craighan and Shaun Steels fills the empty seat of the drummer, holding this position with his worth up to nowadays. The keybords are made by Bal- Sagoth member - Jonny Maudling who done a realy great job here, his splendid choruse fiting perfectly with rough riffs of the band. The keyboard melodies float in the air like a funereal chant, adorning the soundscape with their serene and wailing melodies or with their more intense and darker sound. If the instrumental passages are simply amazing, very elaborated for such music, complex, well performed and well written aswell, the voice of Aaron Stainthorpe is very beautiful and in same place very harsh, each time the vocal lines are excellent, melting with the music in a perfect unison. Whether he howls, grunts, recites or sings he sounds so real, so emotional. I can say hat this voice and the jaw dropping escalades he done here is perfect for such music, One of my fav albums ever made, perfect, complex and very enjoyble. 5 stars for sure, a truly master work of the genre that must be recive the aplause they desearve. Warmly recommended.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#390686) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 31, 2011

Review by UMUR
4 stars "The Light at the End of the World" is the 6th full-length studio album by UK doom/ death metal act My Dying Bride. The album was released in October 1999 by Peaceville Records.

...after the rather experimental "34.788%... Complete (1998)" album, the band opted to return to more familiar ground with "The Light at the End of the World". Thereīs a small surprise in store though. The album sees a return of the death growls that had been absent from the bandīs last three releases. The growling vocals are of course paired with lead vocalist Aaron Stainthorpeīs melancholic and paatos filled clean vocals, but with the growls back in the music itīs hard not to think of the bandīs first two albums. Thereīs quite a big difference here though as there is no violin on the album. An instrument that was a dominant part of the first two albums. Instead ( and this was also the case on "34.788%... Complete (1998)") there are some atmosphere creating keyboards added to the instrumental basis of guitar, bass and drums. Personally I donīt miss the violin one bit, and I think the keyboards add just the right atmosphere for the brick heavy yet melodic doom metal songs.

The album is 71:09 minutes long and I donīt think itīs all the material on the album that reaches excellence, but songs like the strong opening track "She Is the Dark", "Edenbeast", "The Isis Script" and the third version of "Sear Me" called "Sear Me III" are all examples of My Dying Bride doing what they do best. They deliver beautiful, majestic and sorrowfilled doom metal with conviction.

The production is powerful and suits the music well. Iīm taken places when I listen to this album and never do I have to worry that the illusion is broken by something that sits wrong in the mix and thatīs always a plus.

At the end of the day "The Light at the End of the World" may not be My Dying Brideīs strongest album release, but itīs a great album in itīs own right. I wasnīt completely blown away by the album the first couple of times I listened to it but itīs a grower for sure. A 3.5 - 4 star rating is deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#422470) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 25, 2011

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'The Light At The End Of The World' - My Dying Bride (8/10)

Doom is alive. After '34.788% Complete', My Dying Bride had raised some eyebrows, with some fans even being led to believe that the band had finally lost their marbles. What better thing for the band to do then, than to return to what they did best, being epic hymns of emotionally powerful gothic doom metal. 'The Light At The End Of The World' could be said to be an album where the band tries to give their fans more of what they want, but they certainly have not sold out. Instead of the total return to form that some fans were expecting with this album, there is a more melodic vibe on the album, without losing any of the sense of despair that they so expertly crafted with their early material.

The title track from 'The Light At The End Of The World' was the first thing I had ever heard from My Dying Bride, and I will say with conviction that it is still my most beloved track by them to date. Although there are quite a few other excellent pieces on the album, the title track here is on another level altogether, while still presenting everything that the album represents. There are doomy riffs and highly melodic playing on the lower register of the guitar, brooding drums and symphonic keyboards to add a sense of added eerieness, class, and atmosphere. Leading this sombre mix are Aaron Stainthorpe's clean vocals, which- quite like the guitars- are in a lower register, and full of melancholic sadness. The lyrics reflect the feel of the music naturally, and with the title track, it paints a devastating psychological fantasy of a man tending a lighthouse, completely alone. He is given the chance from a god to see his lost love for a single night again, only to find she has disappeared once again in the morning. It is a fairly simple story, but the way it is told through the music makes it one of the greatest love stories i have ever heard.

The other tracks here are admittedly less powerful for me after having developed such a strong connection to that one piece, but there are plenty of great things here. 'Edenbeast', 'Sear Me III' and 'The Isis Script' are all songs that also stand out, and while the songwriting is something that I would come to expect from My Dying Bride, it is done beautifully. It should be mentioned though that the songwriting is not perfectly consistent, with tracks like 'Christliar' feeling a little recycled and underwhelming, if only for the fact that it pales in the greatness of the other things that the album offers. One thing that could have been changed here however is the length of the album. In general, I would tend to favour brevity rather than something being too long, and due to the fact that most of the music here keeps the melancholic downtempo metal fairly stable in style, it can tend to feel overdrawn, even if there is good quality in the music all the way through. Besides that, 'The Light At The End Of The World' is a fantastic album for My Dying Bride, and even for its title track alone, I would recommend it to any lover of melancholic, yet heavy music.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#494179) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 01, 2011

Review by EatThatPhonebook
3 stars 6/10

"The Light At The End Of The World" is a decent return to a style that is more traditional of My Dying Bride.

My Dying Bride are one of the most well known and respected Doom Metal acts of all time. With such a high reputation, this band has managed to consistently release some great albums over the years, in particular their third album "Turn Loose The Swans" and it's follow up, "The Angel and The Dark River", both of these released in the mid nineties. After a few, more disappointing albums, the band return to shine, in the eyes of many fans, with 1999's "The Light at The End Of The World".

This release of theirs is quite unlike what they have ever done; this is thus far the darkest, most unsettling and disturbing album the band has released. The desperation of previous albums seem to be almost a joke compared to this extremely emotionally difficult album. The sound itself hasn't drastically changed, but there is a more frequent use of subtle synthesizers, more extreme vocals (which seem to be more Black Metal influenced this time around), and a bit faster-paced melodies. While it may not be the Doomiest album of the band, it is the grimmest and most pessimistic, despite only slight stylistic changes.

The concepts brought up are not estranged to other Doom Metal material, nor to other My Dying Bride lyrics: pain, suffering, revenge, hopelessness, and quite a few religious themes are what the lyrics portray, and there are some interesting stories depicted too; in the title track, the story is of a man who is forced to guard an everlastingly deserted sea from a lighthouse on an isolated island. He begs his divinity for one night only with his woman, which he does get; but the following day, he will stay eternally in solitude on the island, without ever seeing a man or woman. The lyrics of the other songs are not as epic, but a couple still have an intriguing nature: "She Is The Dark" incarnates deceit and pain into a woman, while "Edenbeast" is about a feast of sin that takes place in Eden, possibly a metaphor of the presence of corruption and greed in the most unexpected places.

The songs on this release are extremely evocative, especially in the first half of the album; songs like "She Is The Dark" and "Edenbeast", other than having dark, haunting melodies, also bring to the listener the feeling of being in front of an abandoned, dark plain, where man's sins and defects are laid down and exposed. However, it is sad to see that some of the songs, during the second half of the album, are not nearly as powerful as they should: "Christliar" has an interesting structure, but does not give any emotional impact whatsoever, just like the compressed intensity of "The Fever Sea", the title track (despite it's majestic lyrics) or "Into The Lake Of Ghosts". They are not really bad tracks, they simply aren't able to accomplish the task (that is admittedly hard to do) to stay as haunting as the emotional concepts in the lyrics.

"The Light At The End Of The World" is a unique album for My Dying Bride, being also their first album, after those more experimental albums preceding it, to return to the more traditional style. However, this return isn't as successful as I would have liked; "The Dreadful Hours", the following album, will have done the job in a much more satisfactory way.

Send comments to EatThatPhonebook (BETA) | Report this review (#756927) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Post a review of MY DYING BRIDE "The Light at the End of the World"