THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE WORLD

Shaun Taylor-Steels - drums
Jonny Maudling - Keyboards

Peaceville Records
October 12th, 1999

Thanks to J-Man for the addition

MY DYING BRIDE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MY DYING BRIDE The Light at the End of the World Music

Peaceville UK 2012
ManuscriptManuscript
EP
Peaceville UK 2013
PARAMAECIUM A TIME TO MOURN RARE MY DYING BRIDE IN EXORDIUM FUNERAL ANATHEMA DIE US $19.99 [1 bids]
PARAMAECIUM WITHIN THE ANCIENT FOREST MY DYING BRIDE IN EXORDIUM PARADISE LOST US $20.50 [4 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE-TURN LOOSE THE SWANS-CD 2003-DIGIPAK+3 BONUS TRACKS-REMASTERED US $8.06 Buy It Now 2h 29m
My Dying Bride - Trinity CD 2004 doom collection Peaceville US $12.95 Buy It Now 4h
My Dying Bride - A Map of All Our Failures CD 2012 doom Peaceville US $13.95 Buy It Now 4h
MY DYING BRIDE PATCH 2 US $4.83 Buy It Now 4h 14m
Turn Loose the Swans by My Dying Bride (CD, Feb-1994, Futurist/Mayhem Records) US $2.99 Buy It Now 4h 43m
Paradise Lost - Plains Of Desolation 1990 RARE DEMO My Dying Bride Anathema US $19.99 [1 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - AN ODE TO WOE - LIVE [LTD.DIGIBOOK] (CD/DVD, 2008) *Sealed* US $12.99 [0 bids]
MOURNING BELOVETH-THE SULLEN SULCUS-CD-my dying bride-paradise lost-melodic-doom US $12.99 Buy It Now 8h 54m
MY DYING BRIDE - LINE OF DEATHLESS KINGS - NEW CD US $19.18 Buy It Now 9h 47m
[CD NEW] EVINTA: DELUXE - MY DYING BRIDE US $44.51 Buy It Now 13h 8m
MY DYING BRIDE - FOR LIES I SIRE NEW CD US $23.13 Buy It Now 13h 18m
MY DYING BRIDE - 34.788% COMPLETE - BONUS TRACK (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $16.91 Buy It Now 13h 20m
MOURNING BELOVETH-THE SULLEN SULCUS-CD-OOP-melodic-doom-anathema-my dying bride US $19.99 Buy It Now 13h 48m
My Dying Bride - Evinta CD US $20.29 Buy It Now 15h 3m
MY DYING BRIDE I Am The Bloody Earth RARE 1994 OOP UK CD Single Ex/Ex Vile44TCD US $20.98 Buy It Now 15h 26m
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA - CDVILEF324 US $13.58 Buy It Now 19h
AMORPHIS Tuonela TEST PRESS BLACK vinyl lp /10 my dying bride anathema NM/NM US $129.11 Buy It Now 19h 49m
My Dying Bride - 34.788% COMPLETE limited yellow vinyl LP album UNPLAYED US $32.30 Buy It Now 20h 13m
MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK 2 [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $8.27 Buy It Now 21h
My Dying Bride - 34.788 Complete [CD New] US $11.98 Buy It Now 22h 32m
My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire [CD New] US $14.01 Buy It Now 22h 34m
My Dying Bride The Angel and the Dark River cd sealed US $21.24 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - THE DREADFUL HOURS [DIGIPAK] [801056109026] - NEW CD US $6.83 Buy It Now 1 day
THE ORGAN FANZINE ISSUE 148 JAN 2006 - NINA HAGEN - LIARS - MY DYING BRIDE US $14.52 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - TURN LOOSE THE SWANS (180GM) NEW VINYL US $52.96 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE MY BODY A FUNERAL WOVEN PATCH US $4.50 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride: Turn Loose The Swans Special Edition 2 CD Set 2013 Digibook NEW US $15.95 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride : 34.788% ... Complete CD (2001) US $10.08 Buy It Now 1 day
AMORPHIS AM UNIVERSUM G/F LP LTD 300 2013 sentenced my dying bride death circle US $35.51 [0 bids]
NEX-ZERO-CD-doom-my dying bride-anathema-watain-nominon US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
KATATONIA FOR FUNERALS TO COME CD 1995 AV009 anathema my dying bride opeth US $26.99 Buy It Now 1 day
My dying bride - like gods of the sun LP first press VILE 65 US $125.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MORGION-SOLINARI-CD-OOP-melodic-doom-death-saturnus-my dying bride-anathema US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - FOR LIES I SIRE - NEW CD US $11.03 Buy It Now 1 day
KUOLEMANLAAKSO- Tulijoutsen cd Swallow The Sun Barren Earth My Dying Bride US $2.00 [2 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE- The Barghest Of Whitby cd Wounded Kings Paradise Lost Anathema US $11.56 [9 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE- The Manuscript cd Swallow The Sun Paradise Lost Anathema US $4.20 [6 bids]
1.MY DYING BRIDE-A LINE OF DEATHLESS KINGS CDVILEF150X US $42.99 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride GOD IS ALONE 7 1991 VERY RARE LISTENABLE!!!307 of 1000 US $170.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MORGAIN Abandoned In The Forest... CD My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Kathatonia US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
~ MY DYING BRIDE - Evinta ~ MUSIC 2 CD's US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - Turn Loose the Swans US $12.35 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - A MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES - CDVILEF407 US $17.73 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans [Vinyl New] US $44.98 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - A Map of All Our Failures US $12.57 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA [3 DISCS] - NEW CD BOXSET US $37.69 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE-DREADFUL HOURS VINYL LP NEW US $34.92 Buy It Now 2 days
Mourning beloveth - Dust CD 2nd Press My dying bride Paradise Lost Ophis Evoken US $20.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride *GUITAR TABS * Lesson Software CD - ( 49 Songs ) US $4.95 [0 bids]
The Angel and the Dark River by My Dying Bride (Cassette, Feb-1996, Fierce) US $20.00 Buy It Now 2 days
LOT OF 24 CD's/GOTHIC-DOOM-DARK-METAL(My Dying Bride,The Gathering) US $24.90 [0 bids]
Mindrot 'Forlorn' RARE OOP. Evoken,My Dying Bride,Thergothon US $2.67 [1 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - AN ODE TO WOE [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD BOXSET US $14.14 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride-The Barghest O' Whitby LP (Limited to 1000) Doom Death Metal US $45.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - ODE TO WOE (W/BOOK) (+DVD) NEW CD US $23.13 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - Trinity:T-shirt NEW - LARGE ONLY US $26.70 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA [2 DISCS] [801056832429] - NEW CD BOXSET US $18.02 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA NEW CD US $58.51 Buy It Now 2 days
PARADISE LOST PRINTED PATCH MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA KATATONIA MOONSPELL CEMETARY US $4.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE FOR LIES I SIRE SPECIAL UKR. EDITION MOON RECORDS US $16.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE A LANE OF DEATHLESS KINGS SPECIAL UKR. EDITION MOON RECORDS US $16.99 Buy It Now 2 days
PARADISE LOST - IN REQUIEM CD my dying bride draconian orphaned land alcest US $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - The Light at the end of the World - Tape US $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers - Tape US $7.00 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Evinta: Deluxe [CD New] US $40.67 Buy It Now 2 days
DRACONIAN - THE BURNING HALO CD MY DYING BRIDE SAMAEL NOVEMBERS DOOM OPETH US $10.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - MAGAZINE CUTTINGS COLLECTION (REF R1) US $16.07 Buy It Now 2 days
Sentenced: Frozen CD Katatonia Anathema My Dying Bride Opeth Paradise Lost US $2.00 [1 bids]
Sentenced: Down CD Katatonia Anathema My Dying Bride Opeth Paradise Lost US $2.00 [1 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE CASSETTE, Turn Loose The Swans, Futurist, Peaceville US $7.88 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE LIKE GODS OF THE SUN + 2 BONUS TRACKS SEALED CD NEW 2014 US $5.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Sentenced: The Funeral Album CD Katatonia Anathema My Dying Bride Opeth Charon US $1.25 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE logo white/black SWEATBAND official merchandise US $8.06 Buy It Now 3 days
Charon: Dying Daylights CD Sentenced Katatonia Paradise Lost My Dying Bride US $4.25 [2 bids]
Amorphis: Skyforger CD Opeth Katatonia Evergrey My Dying Bride Paradise Lost US $4.10 [4 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES NEW VINYL US $41.93 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - ANGEL & THE DARK RIVER NEW VINYL US $41.93 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - The Angel And The Dark River - LP 1995 - FIRST PRESS!! RARE !! US $77.50 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun [2LP] - 2013- New & Sealed US $30.40 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE-For Darkest Eyes DVD Paradise Lost Anathema Doom Black Sabbath US $3.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE "Trinity" (1st press,VERY RARE!!!) Phlebotomized,Saturnus US $16.99 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - An Ode To Woe [CD New] US $17.12 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - Angel & The Dark River [Vinyl New] US $28.90 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - Map Of All Our Failures [Vinyl New] US $28.97 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride : The Voice of the Wretched CD (2008) US $10.37 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - Albion (20th Ann Tour) Longsleeve T-shirt - NEW - LARGE ONLY US $35.60 Buy It Now 3 days
FATUM ELISUM-HOMO NIHILIS-doom-death-silencer-paradise lost-my dying bride US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE My Body A Funeral Mug NEW OFFICIAL US $9.67 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - The Angel and the Dark River/Live at the Dynamo '95 [Limited].. US $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - Map Of All Our Failures [CD New] US $14.86 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - Angel and the Dark River (1996) NEW CD US $14.52 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE "THE ANGEL AND THE DARK RIVER" LIMITED EDITION 2 CD UNRELEASED US $40.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE As The Flower Withers LP 6 Track With Inner Sleeve (vilelp479) EU US $34.87 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - TRINITY 2004 UK CD album + bonus tracks NEW & SEALED B2PP1 US $7.67 Buy It Now 4 days
My Dying Bride, Songs of Darkness Words of Light Audio CD US $14.98 Buy It Now 4 days
SOLSTICE "Lamentations"ORG CD Candlelight 1994,Candlemass,My Dying Bride US $34.99 Buy It Now 4 days
MY DYING BRIDE - MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES NEW CD US $23.13 Buy It Now 4 days
MY DYING BRIDE**VAULTED SHADOWS**CD US $13.50 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy MY DYING BRIDE music online Buy MY DYING BRIDE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MY DYING BRIDE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MY DYING BRIDE The Light at the End of the World ratings distribution

MY DYING BRIDE The Light at the End of the World reviews

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars After two masterful albums in the early 90's, MDB quickly disappeared from my radar. The following three albums were average at best and didn't seem to capture the magic of the early days. So if MDB wanted to regain any credibility amongst their fans and the metal press, their sixth album really had to deliver.

And luckily they did.

MDB sounds reborn, they returned to the epic grandeur of the early years, but it's not a mindless return. The album also integrates the feel for melody that MDB had developed over the preceding albums. The violin player has been replaced by dark symphonic keyboards that complete the crunchy guitars perfectly. The harmonic development of the riffs and chords is brilliant, especially on the albums highlights such as She Is Dark, The Isis Script and the monstrous Edenbeast. If anyone doubted MDB's Prog credentials, then here is where you'll find them abundantly. Superb 5 star progressive doom bliss here.

Also the firing Fever Sea and the touching sadness of the closing Sear Me III are excellent. Next to the songwriting quality, the best surprise comes from Aaron's vocals. Not only did he manage to give his clean vocals an understated power smouldering with inner fire, he also found his confidence back to unleash his raw vocals again, varying sinister rasps, rough shrieks and low growls. He's really a great vocalists when he has inspired music and melodies to back him up.

There are a couple of lesser moments, the title track is rather dreary in its slow parts, Into The Lake of Ghost struggles through its bland verses, and Christliar sounds a bit formulaic. But mostly the material is either superb or very good.

The Light at the End of the World is the first in a string of three very solid MDB albums that form the pinnacle of their discography for me. Highly recommended for fans of Opeth, Agalloch and Edge Of Sanity.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#281210) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 10, 2010

Review by b_olariu
5 stars MY Dying Bride is one of my fav bands when talking about extreme metal. A band that remains big and well known across the years even they had some more experimental albums in their catalogue in contrast with the excellent rough and in same time very elaborated releases like this one. After not so succesfull previous album, quite experimental and very commercial in places, they return after a year in 1999 with, their most acomplished album they ever done - The Light at the End of the World. Released at Peaceville records, this is a huge succes in their career, and for sure one of the best albums ever made from extreme rought metal music, simply said this is excellent. Some line-up changes and Calvin Robertshaw, guitarist of My Dying Bride since their very beginning, and Bill Law, drummer of the band only for "34.788% Complete", are no longer part of the doomed family of My Dying Bride. This time all the guitars have been performed by Andrew Craighan and Shaun Steels fills the empty seat of the drummer, holding this position with his worth up to nowadays. The keybords are made by Bal- Sagoth member - Jonny Maudling who done a realy great job here, his splendid choruse fiting perfectly with rough riffs of the band. The keyboard melodies float in the air like a funereal chant, adorning the soundscape with their serene and wailing melodies or with their more intense and darker sound. If the instrumental passages are simply amazing, very elaborated for such music, complex, well performed and well written aswell, the voice of Aaron Stainthorpe is very beautiful and in same place very harsh, each time the vocal lines are excellent, melting with the music in a perfect unison. Whether he howls, grunts, recites or sings he sounds so real, so emotional. I can say hat this voice and the jaw dropping escalades he done here is perfect for such music, One of my fav albums ever made, perfect, complex and very enjoyble. 5 stars for sure, a truly master work of the genre that must be recive the aplause they desearve. Warmly recommended.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#390686) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 31, 2011

Review by UMUR
4 stars "The Light at the End of the World" is the 6th full-length studio album by UK doom/ death metal act My Dying Bride. The album was released in October 1999 by Peaceville Records.

...after the rather experimental "34.788%... Complete (1998)" album, the band opted to return to more familiar ground with "The Light at the End of the World". Thereīs a small surprise in store though. The album sees a return of the death growls that had been absent from the bandīs last three releases. The growling vocals are of course paired with lead vocalist Aaron Stainthorpeīs melancholic and paatos filled clean vocals, but with the growls back in the music itīs hard not to think of the bandīs first two albums. Thereīs quite a big difference here though as there is no violin on the album. An instrument that was a dominant part of the first two albums. Instead ( and this was also the case on "34.788%... Complete (1998)") there are some atmosphere creating keyboards added to the instrumental basis of guitar, bass and drums. Personally I donīt miss the violin one bit, and I think the keyboards add just the right atmosphere for the brick heavy yet melodic doom metal songs.

The album is 71:09 minutes long and I donīt think itīs all the material on the album that reaches excellence, but songs like the strong opening track "She Is the Dark", "Edenbeast", "The Isis Script" and the third version of "Sear Me" called "Sear Me III" are all examples of My Dying Bride doing what they do best. They deliver beautiful, majestic and sorrowfilled doom metal with conviction.

The production is powerful and suits the music well. Iīm taken places when I listen to this album and never do I have to worry that the illusion is broken by something that sits wrong in the mix and thatīs always a plus.

At the end of the day "The Light at the End of the World" may not be My Dying Brideīs strongest album release, but itīs a great album in itīs own right. I wasnīt completely blown away by the album the first couple of times I listened to it but itīs a grower for sure. A 3.5 - 4 star rating is deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#422470) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 25, 2011

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'The Light At The End Of The World' - My Dying Bride (8/10)

Doom is alive. After '34.788% Complete', My Dying Bride had raised some eyebrows, with some fans even being led to believe that the band had finally lost their marbles. What better thing for the band to do then, than to return to what they did best, being epic hymns of emotionally powerful gothic doom metal. 'The Light At The End Of The World' could be said to be an album where the band tries to give their fans more of what they want, but they certainly have not sold out. Instead of the total return to form that some fans were expecting with this album, there is a more melodic vibe on the album, without losing any of the sense of despair that they so expertly crafted with their early material.

The title track from 'The Light At The End Of The World' was the first thing I had ever heard from My Dying Bride, and I will say with conviction that it is still my most beloved track by them to date. Although there are quite a few other excellent pieces on the album, the title track here is on another level altogether, while still presenting everything that the album represents. There are doomy riffs and highly melodic playing on the lower register of the guitar, brooding drums and symphonic keyboards to add a sense of added eerieness, class, and atmosphere. Leading this sombre mix are Aaron Stainthorpe's clean vocals, which- quite like the guitars- are in a lower register, and full of melancholic sadness. The lyrics reflect the feel of the music naturally, and with the title track, it paints a devastating psychological fantasy of a man tending a lighthouse, completely alone. He is given the chance from a god to see his lost love for a single night again, only to find she has disappeared once again in the morning. It is a fairly simple story, but the way it is told through the music makes it one of the greatest love stories i have ever heard.

The other tracks here are admittedly less powerful for me after having developed such a strong connection to that one piece, but there are plenty of great things here. 'Edenbeast', 'Sear Me III' and 'The Isis Script' are all songs that also stand out, and while the songwriting is something that I would come to expect from My Dying Bride, it is done beautifully. It should be mentioned though that the songwriting is not perfectly consistent, with tracks like 'Christliar' feeling a little recycled and underwhelming, if only for the fact that it pales in the greatness of the other things that the album offers. One thing that could have been changed here however is the length of the album. In general, I would tend to favour brevity rather than something being too long, and due to the fact that most of the music here keeps the melancholic downtempo metal fairly stable in style, it can tend to feel overdrawn, even if there is good quality in the music all the way through. Besides that, 'The Light At The End Of The World' is a fantastic album for My Dying Bride, and even for its title track alone, I would recommend it to any lover of melancholic, yet heavy music.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#494179) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 01, 2011

Review by EatThatPhonebook
3 stars 6/10

"The Light At The End Of The World" is a decent return to a style that is more traditional of My Dying Bride.

My Dying Bride are one of the most well known and respected Doom Metal acts of all time. With such a high reputation, this band has managed to consistently release some great albums over the years, in particular their third album "Turn Loose The Swans" and it's follow up, "The Angel and The Dark River", both of these released in the mid nineties. After a few, more disappointing albums, the band return to shine, in the eyes of many fans, with 1999's "The Light at The End Of The World".

This release of theirs is quite unlike what they have ever done; this is thus far the darkest, most unsettling and disturbing album the band has released. The desperation of previous albums seem to be almost a joke compared to this extremely emotionally difficult album. The sound itself hasn't drastically changed, but there is a more frequent use of subtle synthesizers, more extreme vocals (which seem to be more Black Metal influenced this time around), and a bit faster-paced melodies. While it may not be the Doomiest album of the band, it is the grimmest and most pessimistic, despite only slight stylistic changes.

The concepts brought up are not estranged to other Doom Metal material, nor to other My Dying Bride lyrics: pain, suffering, revenge, hopelessness, and quite a few religious themes are what the lyrics portray, and there are some interesting stories depicted too; in the title track, the story is of a man who is forced to guard an everlastingly deserted sea from a lighthouse on an isolated island. He begs his divinity for one night only with his woman, which he does get; but the following day, he will stay eternally in solitude on the island, without ever seeing a man or woman. The lyrics of the other songs are not as epic, but a couple still have an intriguing nature: "She Is The Dark" incarnates deceit and pain into a woman, while "Edenbeast" is about a feast of sin that takes place in Eden, possibly a metaphor of the presence of corruption and greed in the most unexpected places.

The songs on this release are extremely evocative, especially in the first half of the album; songs like "She Is The Dark" and "Edenbeast", other than having dark, haunting melodies, also bring to the listener the feeling of being in front of an abandoned, dark plain, where man's sins and defects are laid down and exposed. However, it is sad to see that some of the songs, during the second half of the album, are not nearly as powerful as they should: "Christliar" has an interesting structure, but does not give any emotional impact whatsoever, just like the compressed intensity of "The Fever Sea", the title track (despite it's majestic lyrics) or "Into The Lake Of Ghosts". They are not really bad tracks, they simply aren't able to accomplish the task (that is admittedly hard to do) to stay as haunting as the emotional concepts in the lyrics.

"The Light At The End Of The World" is a unique album for My Dying Bride, being also their first album, after those more experimental albums preceding it, to return to the more traditional style. However, this return isn't as successful as I would have liked; "The Dreadful Hours", the following album, will have done the job in a much more satisfactory way.

Send comments to EatThatPhonebook (BETA) | Report this review (#756927) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Post a review of MY DYING BRIDE "The Light at the End of the World"