THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE WORLD

Shaun Taylor-Steels - drums
Jonny Maudling - Keyboards

Peaceville Records
October 12th, 1999

Thanks to J-Man for the addition

MY DYING BRIDE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MY DYING BRIDE The Light at the End of the World Music

Turn Loose the SwansTurn Loose the Swans
Extra tracks
Peaceville 2003
MY DYING BRIDE - TURN LOOSE THE SWANS NEW CD US $18.46 Buy It Now 3h 22m
ALBEZ DUZ DIGI-CD PARADISE LOST MY DYING BRIDE TIAMAT BLACK WIDOW GHOST HUATA US $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 16m
SATURNUS Martyre 1stPress Euphonious Rec. 2000 (katatonia my dying bride) US $39.00 Buy It Now 4h 35m
ALEXANDER GLAVNIY Without Waste Words AUTUMNIA OFFICIUM TRISTE MY DYING BRIDE US $8.00 Buy It Now 4h 36m
Onirophagus - Defiler of hope (pro cdr) MY DYING BRIDE AUTOPSY KATATONIA ASPHYX US $5.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Evinta I & Ii [CD New] US $24.81 Buy It Now 8h 30m
MY DYING BRIDE "THE ANGEL AND THE DARK RIVER" LIMITED EDITION 2 CD UNRELEASED US $40.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride : Evinta CD (2011) US $10.00 Buy It Now 9h 32m
My Dying Bride Guitar Tab Software Lesson CD + FREE BONUSES US $8.06 Buy It Now 10h 55m
MY DYING BRIDE TURN LOOSE THE SWANS + 3 BONUS TRACKS SEALED CD NEW 2014 US $5.99 Buy It Now 11h 16m
MY DYING BRIDE 34.788 % COMPLETE + BONUS TRACK SEALED CD NEW 2014 US $5.99 Buy It Now 11h 24m
My Dying Bride GOD IS ALONE 7 1991 VERY RARE LISTENABLE!!!307 of 1000 US $170.00 Buy It Now 11h 30m
MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK 1 - NEW CD US $12.13 Buy It Now 12h 25m
Tiamat CD Prey opeth my dying bride type o negative paradise lost amorphis US $3.89 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE Official LICENSED Sew-on WOVEN PATCH US $4.88 Buy It Now 13h 17m
MY DYING BRIDE Official LICENSED Sew-on WOVEN PATCH US $4.88 Buy It Now 13h 17m
MY DYING BRIDE-An Ode To Woe CD + DVD-BRAND NEW-Still Sealed-Black Metal US $17.84 Buy It Now 16h 35m
MY DYING BRIDE-Like Gods Of The Sun CD-BRAND NEW-Still Sealed-Black Metal US $11.58 Buy It Now 16h 36m
MY DYING BRIDE-Meisterwerk 1 CD-BRAND NEW-Still Sealed-Black Metal US $10.69 Buy It Now 16h 36m
Ashes You Leave - The Passage Back of Life CD 1999 SEALED My Dying Bride US $3.00 [0 bids]
HAMFERD Vilst Er Sidsta Fet CD EP NEW/SEALED My Dying Bride Tyr Katatonia Opeth US $17.49 Buy It Now 20h 54m
WHISPERING GALLERY - Shades of Sorrow DIGI CD OPETH, MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
FIRST PRESS OPETH Still Life CD ORG Peaceville 2000 KATATONIA MY DYING BRIDE US $20.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LYCUS Tempest DIGIPAK MOURNFUL CONGREGATION PALLBEARER MY DYING BRIDE ASUNDER US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
AMORPHIS Tuonela G/F LP 2013 anathema my dying bride in flames opeth nightwish US $31.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - The Light At The End Of The World (digipack) (CD, Jan-2004) US $9.49 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA"Pentecost III"cd Peaceville 95,Paradise Lost,My dying bride US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Songs Of Darkness Words Of Light [CD New] US $9.94 Buy It Now 1 day
Onirophagus - Defiler Of Hope (CD new)(Evoken, Funeral, My Dying Bride, Frailty) US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - SONGS OF DARKNESS WORDS OF LIGHT NEW CD US $16.99 Buy It Now 1 day
beseech - drama, type o negative moonspell darkseed tristania my dying bride fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
darkseed - spellcraft , type o negative moonspell tristania my dying bride fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - Symphonaire Infernus Et Spera Empyrium 1991 Peaceville ORG US $17.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - Thrash of Naked Limbs 1993 Peaceville 1st Press ORG anathema US $18.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - I Am the Bloody Earth 1994 Peaceville 1st Press ORG anathema US $9.99 [0 bids]
AMORPHIS - ELEGY CD NEVERMORE ARCH ENEMY TIAMAT MY DYING BRIDE GRAVE ENSLAVED US $1.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride/THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE WORLD/New US $21.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - Songs:T-shirt - NEW - SMALL ONLY US $26.82 Buy It Now 1 day
Meisterwerk V.2 by My Dying Bride (Digipak, Mar-2004, Peaceville Records (USA)) US $19.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE:Trinity:T-shirt NEW:MEDIUM ONLY US $26.82 Buy It Now 1 day
VERITATE-The rise of Hatröss LP/katatonia/paradise lost/my dying bride/voivod US $1.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - A Map Of All Our Failures NEW CD US $18.88 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - The Silent Enigma first press lp vinyl my dying bride katatonia US $59.99 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Voice Of The Wretched CD US $15.46 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Evinta I & Ii CD US $26.47 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - Angel & the Dark River (CD 1995) METAL US $13.05 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - Turn Loose the Swans (CD 1993) METAL US $13.05 [0 bids]
DREAMBREED - SOMETIME EP CD (Cradle of filth my dying bride memebers) US $3.26 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - VAULTED SHADOWS THE - CDVILEDH509 US $16.80 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE as the flower withers LP 6 track with inner sleeve (vilelp479) eu US $29.34 Buy It Now 2 days
AMORPHIS POSTER !!!!!! Powerwolf/Insomnium/Paradise Lost/My Dying Bride/Anathema US $5.55 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun - Cassette , Made In Poland US $12.00 Buy It Now 2 days
As the Flower Withers by My Dying Bride (Vinyl, Jan-2014, Peaceville Records... US $22.53 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - The Manuscript EP 2013 US $8.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Evinta (2011) 2CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $10.94 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers [CD New] US $10.27 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers [Vinyl New] US $25.48 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride Evinta EBVILE001, EBVILE002 US $88.60 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - AS THE FLOWER WITHERS NEW VINYL US $35.56 Buy It Now 2 days
anathema serenades t shirt doom metal death paradise lost ulver my dying bride US $16.66 Buy It Now 2 days
anathema serenades t shirt doom metal death paradise lost ulver my dying bride US $19.66 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - AS THE FLOWER WITHERS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $16.99 Buy It Now 2 days
my dying bride limited edition cd US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans [CD New] US $13.57 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE**EVINTA (LTD ED W/BOOKLET)**2CD US $13.69 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE As The Flower Withers CD (1992) US $8.90 Buy It Now 2 days
Woods of Ypres: ORG. Against The Seasons, KRANKENHAUS, My Dying Bride, Katatonia US $19.99 [0 bids]
Golgotha: Melancholy FIRST REPULSE, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, US $16.99 [0 bids]
RARE PROMO Mayhem Records 2 CD SAMPLER My Dying Bride DIO Enuff Znuff + FIERCE US $7.00 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride Angel & The Dark River CD US $6.70 Buy It Now 2 days
34.788%...Complete [Bonus Track] [Digipak] by My Dying Bride (CD, Jun-2004,... US $9.31 Buy It Now 2 days
The Angel and the Dark River [Bonus Tracks] [Digipak] by My Dying Bride (CD,... US $7.57 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - the Dreadful Hours / Live in Krakow Vol. 2 (Agat Rec ) Russian US $17.00 Buy It Now 2 days
NEVER DIE - The Source Of Black Water (CD 2011) doom gothic metal My Dying Bride US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
HEDON CRIES - Hate Into Grief (CD 2003) My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Anathema US $13.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LLVME Fogeira De Suenos (CD 2010) My Dying Bride Shape of Despair Negura Bunget US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
INNER MISSING - Escapism (CD 2011) doom death metal My Dying Bride Draconian US $15.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ET MORIEMUR - Cupio Dissolvi (CD 2011) Doom Death Metal My Dying Bride Anathema US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE A Map Of All Our Failures 2-LP VINYL "SEALED" US $49.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE Trinity DIGIPACK CD "BRAND NEW & SEALED US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - A Line Of Deathless Kings CD Box Set Limited Edition 2006 US $16.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Void Of Silence ?- Criteria Ov 666 DIGI CD OPETH, MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA US $15.99 Buy It Now 3 days
THE BLOODLINE- Opium hearts ADVANCE PROMO CD RARE KATATONIA MY DYING BRIDE US $5.99 Buy It Now 3 days
FROM BEYOND - Endtime CD OPETH, MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA RARE US $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MYTHOPOEIA - Golden Leaf Of Oak CD Metal Breath 2001 MY DYING BRIDE OCTOBER TIDE US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - THE VOICE OF THE WRETCHED DIGIPACK CD US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
UNSILENCE Under A Torn Sky LP MY DYING BRIDE OPETH PENTAGRAM SAINT VITUS US $11.00 [0 bids]
MAR DE GRISES Streams Inwards DIGIPAK MY DYING BRIDE US $20.00 Buy It Now 3 days
DEPRESY Sighting LE DIGI 1999 Shindy Prod. Septic Flesh My Dying Bride US $39.00 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE The Angel And The Dark River LIMITED DIGI 1995 Peaceville US $39.00 Buy It Now 3 days
ETHERIAL WINDS - Saved CD rare 1.press 1994 M.M.I. / my dying bride crematory US $39.00 Buy It Now 3 days
PARAMAECIUM Exhumed Of The Earth CD '94 R.E.X. MUSIC My Dying Bride Virgin Black US $69.00 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA The Silent Enigma CD 1995 GLOBUS My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Gathering US $39.00 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - Turn Loose The Swans CD 1993 Peaceville Records US $39.00 Buy It Now 3 days
PARADISE LOST Icon LIMITED DIGI 1993 Music For Nations My Dying Bride Anathema US $55.00 Buy It Now 3 days
PARADISE LOST Lost Paradise CD 1990 Peaceville my dying bride katatonia anathema US $59.00 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE The Angel and the Dark River LIMITED DIGI 1995 Peacevile anathema US $49.00 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy MY DYING BRIDE music online Buy MY DYING BRIDE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MY DYING BRIDE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MY DYING BRIDE The Light at the End of the World ratings distribution

MY DYING BRIDE The Light at the End of the World reviews

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars After two masterful albums in the early 90's, MDB quickly disappeared from my radar. The following three albums were average at best and didn't seem to capture the magic of the early days. So if MDB wanted to regain any credibility amongst their fans and the metal press, their sixth album really had to deliver.

And luckily they did.

MDB sounds reborn, they returned to the epic grandeur of the early years, but it's not a mindless return. The album also integrates the feel for melody that MDB had developed over the preceding albums. The violin player has been replaced by dark symphonic keyboards that complete the crunchy guitars perfectly. The harmonic development of the riffs and chords is brilliant, especially on the albums highlights such as She Is Dark, The Isis Script and the monstrous Edenbeast. If anyone doubted MDB's Prog credentials, then here is where you'll find them abundantly. Superb 5 star progressive doom bliss here.

Also the firing Fever Sea and the touching sadness of the closing Sear Me III are excellent. Next to the songwriting quality, the best surprise comes from Aaron's vocals. Not only did he manage to give his clean vocals an understated power smouldering with inner fire, he also found his confidence back to unleash his raw vocals again, varying sinister rasps, rough shrieks and low growls. He's really a great vocalists when he has inspired music and melodies to back him up.

There are a couple of lesser moments, the title track is rather dreary in its slow parts, Into The Lake of Ghost struggles through its bland verses, and Christliar sounds a bit formulaic. But mostly the material is either superb or very good.

The Light at the End of the World is the first in a string of three very solid MDB albums that form the pinnacle of their discography for me. Highly recommended for fans of Opeth, Agalloch and Edge Of Sanity.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#281210) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 10, 2010

Review by b_olariu
5 stars MY Dying Bride is one of my fav bands when talking about extreme metal. A band that remains big and well known across the years even they had some more experimental albums in their catalogue in contrast with the excellent rough and in same time very elaborated releases like this one. After not so succesfull previous album, quite experimental and very commercial in places, they return after a year in 1999 with, their most acomplished album they ever done - The Light at the End of the World. Released at Peaceville records, this is a huge succes in their career, and for sure one of the best albums ever made from extreme rought metal music, simply said this is excellent. Some line-up changes and Calvin Robertshaw, guitarist of My Dying Bride since their very beginning, and Bill Law, drummer of the band only for "34.788% Complete", are no longer part of the doomed family of My Dying Bride. This time all the guitars have been performed by Andrew Craighan and Shaun Steels fills the empty seat of the drummer, holding this position with his worth up to nowadays. The keybords are made by Bal- Sagoth member - Jonny Maudling who done a realy great job here, his splendid choruse fiting perfectly with rough riffs of the band. The keyboard melodies float in the air like a funereal chant, adorning the soundscape with their serene and wailing melodies or with their more intense and darker sound. If the instrumental passages are simply amazing, very elaborated for such music, complex, well performed and well written aswell, the voice of Aaron Stainthorpe is very beautiful and in same place very harsh, each time the vocal lines are excellent, melting with the music in a perfect unison. Whether he howls, grunts, recites or sings he sounds so real, so emotional. I can say hat this voice and the jaw dropping escalades he done here is perfect for such music, One of my fav albums ever made, perfect, complex and very enjoyble. 5 stars for sure, a truly master work of the genre that must be recive the aplause they desearve. Warmly recommended.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#390686) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 31, 2011

Review by UMUR
4 stars "The Light at the End of the World" is the 6th full-length studio album by UK doom/ death metal act My Dying Bride. The album was released in October 1999 by Peaceville Records.

...after the rather experimental "34.788%... Complete (1998)" album, the band opted to return to more familiar ground with "The Light at the End of the World". Thereīs a small surprise in store though. The album sees a return of the death growls that had been absent from the bandīs last three releases. The growling vocals are of course paired with lead vocalist Aaron Stainthorpeīs melancholic and paatos filled clean vocals, but with the growls back in the music itīs hard not to think of the bandīs first two albums. Thereīs quite a big difference here though as there is no violin on the album. An instrument that was a dominant part of the first two albums. Instead ( and this was also the case on "34.788%... Complete (1998)") there are some atmosphere creating keyboards added to the instrumental basis of guitar, bass and drums. Personally I donīt miss the violin one bit, and I think the keyboards add just the right atmosphere for the brick heavy yet melodic doom metal songs.

The album is 71:09 minutes long and I donīt think itīs all the material on the album that reaches excellence, but songs like the strong opening track "She Is the Dark", "Edenbeast", "The Isis Script" and the third version of "Sear Me" called "Sear Me III" are all examples of My Dying Bride doing what they do best. They deliver beautiful, majestic and sorrowfilled doom metal with conviction.

The production is powerful and suits the music well. Iīm taken places when I listen to this album and never do I have to worry that the illusion is broken by something that sits wrong in the mix and thatīs always a plus.

At the end of the day "The Light at the End of the World" may not be My Dying Brideīs strongest album release, but itīs a great album in itīs own right. I wasnīt completely blown away by the album the first couple of times I listened to it but itīs a grower for sure. A 3.5 - 4 star rating is deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#422470) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 25, 2011

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'The Light At The End Of The World' - My Dying Bride (8/10)

Doom is alive. After '34.788% Complete', My Dying Bride had raised some eyebrows, with some fans even being led to believe that the band had finally lost their marbles. What better thing for the band to do then, than to return to what they did best, being epic hymns of emotionally powerful gothic doom metal. 'The Light At The End Of The World' could be said to be an album where the band tries to give their fans more of what they want, but they certainly have not sold out. Instead of the total return to form that some fans were expecting with this album, there is a more melodic vibe on the album, without losing any of the sense of despair that they so expertly crafted with their early material.

The title track from 'The Light At The End Of The World' was the first thing I had ever heard from My Dying Bride, and I will say with conviction that it is still my most beloved track by them to date. Although there are quite a few other excellent pieces on the album, the title track here is on another level altogether, while still presenting everything that the album represents. There are doomy riffs and highly melodic playing on the lower register of the guitar, brooding drums and symphonic keyboards to add a sense of added eerieness, class, and atmosphere. Leading this sombre mix are Aaron Stainthorpe's clean vocals, which- quite like the guitars- are in a lower register, and full of melancholic sadness. The lyrics reflect the feel of the music naturally, and with the title track, it paints a devastating psychological fantasy of a man tending a lighthouse, completely alone. He is given the chance from a god to see his lost love for a single night again, only to find she has disappeared once again in the morning. It is a fairly simple story, but the way it is told through the music makes it one of the greatest love stories i have ever heard.

The other tracks here are admittedly less powerful for me after having developed such a strong connection to that one piece, but there are plenty of great things here. 'Edenbeast', 'Sear Me III' and 'The Isis Script' are all songs that also stand out, and while the songwriting is something that I would come to expect from My Dying Bride, it is done beautifully. It should be mentioned though that the songwriting is not perfectly consistent, with tracks like 'Christliar' feeling a little recycled and underwhelming, if only for the fact that it pales in the greatness of the other things that the album offers. One thing that could have been changed here however is the length of the album. In general, I would tend to favour brevity rather than something being too long, and due to the fact that most of the music here keeps the melancholic downtempo metal fairly stable in style, it can tend to feel overdrawn, even if there is good quality in the music all the way through. Besides that, 'The Light At The End Of The World' is a fantastic album for My Dying Bride, and even for its title track alone, I would recommend it to any lover of melancholic, yet heavy music.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#494179) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 01, 2011

Review by EatThatPhonebook
3 stars 6/10

"The Light At The End Of The World" is a decent return to a style that is more traditional of My Dying Bride.

My Dying Bride are one of the most well known and respected Doom Metal acts of all time. With such a high reputation, this band has managed to consistently release some great albums over the years, in particular their third album "Turn Loose The Swans" and it's follow up, "The Angel and The Dark River", both of these released in the mid nineties. After a few, more disappointing albums, the band return to shine, in the eyes of many fans, with 1999's "The Light at The End Of The World".

This release of theirs is quite unlike what they have ever done; this is thus far the darkest, most unsettling and disturbing album the band has released. The desperation of previous albums seem to be almost a joke compared to this extremely emotionally difficult album. The sound itself hasn't drastically changed, but there is a more frequent use of subtle synthesizers, more extreme vocals (which seem to be more Black Metal influenced this time around), and a bit faster-paced melodies. While it may not be the Doomiest album of the band, it is the grimmest and most pessimistic, despite only slight stylistic changes.

The concepts brought up are not estranged to other Doom Metal material, nor to other My Dying Bride lyrics: pain, suffering, revenge, hopelessness, and quite a few religious themes are what the lyrics portray, and there are some interesting stories depicted too; in the title track, the story is of a man who is forced to guard an everlastingly deserted sea from a lighthouse on an isolated island. He begs his divinity for one night only with his woman, which he does get; but the following day, he will stay eternally in solitude on the island, without ever seeing a man or woman. The lyrics of the other songs are not as epic, but a couple still have an intriguing nature: "She Is The Dark" incarnates deceit and pain into a woman, while "Edenbeast" is about a feast of sin that takes place in Eden, possibly a metaphor of the presence of corruption and greed in the most unexpected places.

The songs on this release are extremely evocative, especially in the first half of the album; songs like "She Is The Dark" and "Edenbeast", other than having dark, haunting melodies, also bring to the listener the feeling of being in front of an abandoned, dark plain, where man's sins and defects are laid down and exposed. However, it is sad to see that some of the songs, during the second half of the album, are not nearly as powerful as they should: "Christliar" has an interesting structure, but does not give any emotional impact whatsoever, just like the compressed intensity of "The Fever Sea", the title track (despite it's majestic lyrics) or "Into The Lake Of Ghosts". They are not really bad tracks, they simply aren't able to accomplish the task (that is admittedly hard to do) to stay as haunting as the emotional concepts in the lyrics.

"The Light At The End Of The World" is a unique album for My Dying Bride, being also their first album, after those more experimental albums preceding it, to return to the more traditional style. However, this return isn't as successful as I would have liked; "The Dreadful Hours", the following album, will have done the job in a much more satisfactory way.

Send comments to EatThatPhonebook (BETA) | Report this review (#756927) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Post a review of MY DYING BRIDE "The Light at the End of the World"