FOUNTAIN BEYOND THE SUNRISE

Kyrie Eleison

Kyrie Eleison Fountain Beyond The Sunrise album cover

Buy KYRIE ELEISON Music
Studio Album, released in 1976

1. Out Of Dimension (10:10)
2. The Fountain Beyond The Sunrise (14:20)
- a) Reign
- b) Voices
- c) The Last Reign
- d) Autumn Song
3. Forgotten Words (8:44)
4. Lenny (16:42)
bonus track on CD release:
5. Mounting The Eternal Spiral (11:12)

Search KYRIE ELEISON Fountain Beyond The Sunrise lyrics

Search KYRIE ELEISON Fountain Beyond The Sunrise tabs

- Manfred Drapela / acoustic & electric guitars, backing vocals
- Gerald Krampl / keyboards, synthesizers, Mellotron, backing vocals
- Norbert Morin / bass, bass pedals, acoustic guitar
- Karl Novotny / drums, percussion, backing vocals
- Michael Schubert / lead vocals, percussion

CD.Indigo ICD 30.002 (1992)

and to Snow Dog for the last updates

KYRIE ELEISON MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KYRIE ELEISON Fountain Beyond The Sunrise Music

The Complete Recordings 1974-1978The Complete Recordings 1974-1978
Limited Edition
MIO
IN THE ARMS OF DECADENCEIN THE ARMS OF DECADENCE
INDIE (JAPAN)
Audio CD$61.63 (used)

More places to buy KYRIE ELEISON music online Buy KYRIE ELEISON & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KYRIE ELEISON DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KYRIE ELEISON Fountain Beyond The Sunrise ratings distribution

KYRIE ELEISON Fountain Beyond The Sunrise reviews

Review by loserboy
4 stars For a long time "Fountains Beyond The Sunrise" has been an addiction for me and for many good reasons. KYRIE ELEISON have a very strong early GENESIS flavor but also blend many original musical and progressive elements into their music. KYRIE ELEISON managed to release before splitting up a masterpiece of progressive rock with "Fountains...". Songs are well written and offer some very solid melodies never getting too dark or loud for the listener to enjoy. Musicianship is very strong and extended song length makes this quite a prog gem. The sound does come across a bit dated and low tone aspects, but this will not reduced your enjoyment for this prog. Classic. KYRIE ELEISON blend the symphonic mastery of GENESIS with the thematic aspects of VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#19356) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 14, 2004

Review by lor68
3 stars Is this album a derivative work or simply a tribute to Genesis' "Nursery Crime"?!?!

Well to me it's the combination of both features and by means also of a full saturation concerning the Organ sound, driving the composition...nevertheless- don't get me wrong- this ensemble from Austria produced a good and remarkable work, that now sounds dated and a bit prolix too!! Probably They were unlucky, because They were obscured by the immense talent from Gabriel&C....but of course Genesis was the first band to produce such a true "progressive and romantic" music, with a theatrical approach; and all the following bands, emulating their sound, were naturally remarkable clones, rather than being regarded as "Prog Legends", like these Kyrie Eleison...it never minds as this historical document- regarding of the derivative progressive scene from Austria- is worth checking out at least (the splendid cover picture as well!!).

Send comments to lor68 (BETA) | Report this review (#19357) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 17, 2004

Review by Marcelo
5 stars Imagine you read the following news: "A hidden treasure was founded. GENESIS did an unknown album between 'Nursery Crime' and 'Foxtrot', with the same high quality level. Available now". What would you do? Surely, you go rush to the cd shop, isn't it?

Well, that album exists, but signed by Austrian band KYRIE ELEISON. I don't care about clones, originality, copies, derivative works or if the vocalist tries to sing like Peter Gabriel. I just know that listening "Fountain Beyond The Sunrise" I felt the same climax sensation that only GENESIS '70-'75 could give me.

This is a superb mellotronic symphonic album. If you love the best GENESIS, you'll love this one. Do yourself a favour: Get this album right now.

Send comments to Marcelo (BETA) | Report this review (#19358) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 28, 2004

Review by Prog-jester
4 stars I was told KYRIE ELEISON is a GENESIS clone. This word combination can make anyone else arrogant, but for me it’s like a call to arms :) Actually GENESIS is my favourite band, and I’ve been blown away by bands like THE WATCH, RAEL, CITIZEN CAIN, NEUSCHWANSTEIN, SIMON SAYS, ENGLAND etc, which assured me that I’m not the only one who likes GENESIS and wants to hear something related. So I spent some time and money in searching for KYRIE ELEISON, which is also the earliest GENESIS clone as far as I know. I wasn’t disappointed.

First of all, don’t look for high record quality here. Sometimes it sounds very much like demo, and I believe it’s pretty true. But material itself is marvelous – everything is on its own place, 5 long varied epics a-la “Nursery Cryme”/”Foxtrot” period; their singer is almost Gabriel, their guitarist is seconds from Hackett etc :) If you were looking for early GENESIS bootlegs, better find this one – it’s like a GENESIS lost album remained in demos only! I can’t recommend this album for everybody, but if you’re the same way maniacally obsessed with early GENESIS and see no evil in being their clone, you MUST find KYRIE ELEISON. They are worthy.

Send comments to Prog-jester (BETA) | Report this review (#132524) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 10, 2007

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
3 stars Well the sound quality is a bit rough at times, especially considering by 1976 most studios were capable of much better. And the Genesis comparisons are certainly fair, although really – how many European symphonic rock bands in the mid-seventies didn’t get compared at one time or another to either Genesis or Yes or ELP? But otherwise this is a very solid period piece that could be placed between 1974 and 1977 by a half-deaf blind man after hearing as little as three of four bars. So if that’s the kind of music you’re into, you won’t likely be disappointed by Kyrie Eleison’s second album.

This is rock theater stuff, every bit as pretentious and na´ve as anything that was released in the same period. The shortest track is the nearly nine-minute “Forgotten Words”, and all the rest are considerably longer. The use of mellotron and synths is as heavy as you could expect for the time, and the arrangements have the mark of classical leanings. My only real quibble is the drummer, who ranges from rather pedestrian rhythms to the haphazard.

The odd timbre of the backing vocals are the one thing I can’t recall hearing on any of their contemporaries’ albums, and I haven’t decided yet if that’s a good thing or not. All three backing musicians vacillate between almost chanting, falsetto howling and moans that make this sound a bit darker than it was probably intended to be.

One thing that strikes me is the heavy guitar and bass throughout, more like heavy rock than European symphonic (except for the keyboards), which is certainly okay with me. The ranging “The Fountain Beyond the Sunrise” is the best example of this, although the bonus CD track “Mounting the Eternal Spiral” also manages to lay it on pretty thick as well. In fact, this one sounds a bit like a Marillion demo track without Steve Rothery’s distinctive guitar work.

Really the whole thing sounds a bit like a demo, mostly due to the weak recording quality and simplistic production. But for those of us who grew up in the seventies this is only a minor distraction, and the hour long foray is quite an enjoyable indulgence. There’s nothing innovative in the recordings, and even with the cleaned up remastering this is still sonically substandard for a mid-seventies recording. But all that said I still like listening to this one, particularly in the evening. Three stars easily, and I may revisit that somewhere down the line if the CD keeps finding its way into my disc changer.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#168339) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 21, 2008

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
3 stars Early Genesis really didn't rock out much, obvious exceptions being classics like "Musical Box" and "Watcher of the Skies". They were usually rather twee in their endearing way a la "Supper's Ready" and "Giant Hogweed". Particularly on "Nursery Cryme", the production and recording levels shrouded the disks in a certain mystique but also made them less accessible than expedient for the symphonic fests that they were. Alleged Austrian clone KYRIE ELEISON jacked up the intensity to the point of distortion (yes I know it was probably an issue of not getting the professional studio time) but they really could rock. Their tunes were also easier to follow than those of their master while still possessing overall complexity within the lengthy compositions.

Admittedly most of the benefits of this mid 70s recording are felt in the first 2 awesome tracks, with the full on assault of martial drums, organs, rough cut yet harmonic vocals, booming bass, synths, and circus feel in the "Reign" part of the title cut being the hands-down highlight. It's like something we could have imagined from Genesis but not a direct copy of anything they did do. But each part segues into the next like a disturbingly tight dream sequence. The poor production does not hinder enjoyment of these first rate excursions.

The remaining 2 tracks and the bonus cut all have moments, including some blistering lead guitar and mellotron on the latter, but the pieces seem more cobbled together, and they throw in a few direct Genesis quotes, like "Musical Box" and "Battle of Epping Forest". Even adequate production would not have made them more appealing.

While this averages out slightly below 3 stars, it's easy to round up based on the fact that two tracks are essential and the rest will be enjoyed by those who love to drink from the mountainous fount of Genesis influence.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#257760) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 25, 2009

5 stars Haters gonna hate. While some people reject Kyrie Eleison as Genesis-clone, I consider them one of the highlights o the symphonic story telling progressive rock. The Fountain Beyond The Sunrise is a masterpiece, and even influenced by Genesis, the songs are unique, and I think Genesis shoul ... (read more)

Report this review (#1037483) | Posted by VOTOMS | Tuesday, September 17, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The Fountain Beyond the Sunrise is probably one of the most under appreciated prog masterpieces out there. From when I first listened to the album two years ago, I've been hooked... I find it difficult to go through a week without listening to it. The main criticism this album receives is its studio ... (read more)

Report this review (#511706) | Posted by purplesnake | Monday, August 29, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars After hearing this for the first time, I have to say that it could very well pass quite easily for being "The Lost Genesis Album". Style and composition is strikingly similar but there is also the odd hint of Yes/Pink Floyd/King Crimson in places. If anything its more related to the Nursery Cr ... (read more)

Report this review (#256116) | Posted by nzproglover75 | Monday, December 14, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Pretty strong Nursery Cryme/Genesis vibes from this Austrian band on this album. It would had been even stronger with a better sound. This album has a kind of a demo feel. I guess a re-master would had done wonders for this album. When that is said, this is by no means a Genesis rip-off albu ... (read more)

Report this review (#228904) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Wednesday, July 29, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The first time I heard that album I thought why Kyrie just have two records... "The Fountain" it's a very well-composed piece of prog, even raw in some moments, but beautiful with some remains of Genesis with Peter. In fact Michael Schubert looks like Peter... anyway, this LP contains original ... (read more)

Report this review (#39819) | Posted by progadicto | Tuesday, July 19, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 4 3/4 Stars! This is an excellent album of Genesis inspired tunes. If you do not mind someone sounding like Foxtrot era Genesis you will certainly find a great deal to like about this album. This along with Neuschwanstein's "Battlement" are the two (2) closest albums to the vintage Genesis ... (read more)

Report this review (#37294) | Posted by | Wednesday, June 22, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KYRIE ELEISON "Fountain Beyond The Sunrise"