SOMEONE HERE IS MISSING

Pineapple Thief

Pineapple Thief Someone Here is Missing album cover

Buy PINEAPPLE THIEF Music
Studio Album, released in 2010

1. Nothing at Best (4:09)
2. Wake Up The Dead (4:24)
3. The State We're In (3:19)
4. Preparation For Meltdown (7:27)
5. Barely Breathing (3:44)
6. Show A Little Love (3:59)
7. Someone Here Is Missing (3:53)
8. 3000 Days (6:10)

- Jon Sykes / Electric and acoustic bass guitars, backing vocals
- Steve Kitch / Keyboards
- Keith Harrison / Drums and backing vocals

CD Kscope Records (2010)
Also released as a special edition with two bonus tracks (* in track listing)

and to Tristan Mulders for the last updates

PINEAPPLE THIEF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PINEAPPLE THIEF Someone Here is Missing Music

Someone Here Is MissingSomeone Here Is Missing
Kscope 2010

More places to buy PINEAPPLE THIEF music online Buy PINEAPPLE THIEF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PINEAPPLE THIEF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PINEAPPLE THIEF Someone Here is Missing ratings distribution

PINEAPPLE THIEF Someone Here is Missing reviews

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars In time where everyone (and everything) sounds like clone of someone else, be it Gabriel, Wilson or Anderson (Ian), I realized that I'll rather not pay attention (much) to these traits and in my reviews and music approach, I will be more focused on how actual music sounds (not like what) and how I like it.

Pineapple Thief is beast of burden for me. This means that it should be good, but the result is only partially right in achieving this status.

Annoying programming is opposite of being helpful, but fortunately, it's not heard so often. Songs are melodic and pleasant, there's not problem on my side. Reminding Gazpacho (their Night album, only in a little bit faster pace) and Muse to some extent, but there is bigger acoustic feeling.

After spending few hours of listening this CD and thinking what to write here, I've decided that this could be all that I wanted to say. This album is interesting, there's no dispute in this matter. I think that it will attract most of listeners.

4(-), could be better if not for all this electrification business that I simply couldn't take so well.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#286863) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 17, 2010

5 stars For years i've felt like I was the lone voice on this site telling any who would listen how good this band is.Yes i'm a fanboy although i'm not as rabid as many of their fans are (I can tell you some stories). They still have that blend of RADIOHEAD, SMASHING PUMPKINS and PORCUPINE TREE thing happening which is probably why most Prog fans don't dig them. This latest album is without a doubt their best record yet.They've added a little more heaviness but kept the emotion and great lyrics.The album cover is cool of this guy looking out the window with his arms folded covered with paper notes. As you open the booklet inside each page you turns to reveals more and more what these notes say.

"Nothing At Best" builds to a heavy sound then settles back and vocals arrive before a minute. Heavy outbreaks come and go. What a great track ! "Wake Up The Dead" opens with a beat as vocals join in. It's louder 2 1/2 minutes in, in fact it's pretty intense. "The State We're In" has this cool guitar line as vocals join in. Drums a minute in. It all stops for a second then returns with emotion. "Preperation For Meltdown" opens with electronics as guitar then vocals join in. It kicks in heavily before 2 1/2 minutes then settles as contrasts continue.

"Barely Breathing" is led by strummed guitar and vocals before the drums join in. "Show A Little Love" has this in your face drum/bass section with vocals. It kicks in before a minute as themes are repeated. "Someone Here Is Missing" opens with acoustic guitar and fragile vocals. Drums and a fuller sound kick in quickly. How good is this ! "3000 Days" kicks in quickly then it settles before 2 minutes. Vocals follow. Incredible sound here. It kicks back in after 4 minutes. "So We Row" opens with precussion-like sounds as guitars join in. Vocals 2 minutes in as it settles some. It's a little experimental before 5 minutes then it kicks back in at 6 minutes. Love how Bruce sings "Row, row, row, row..." over and over.

A top five for 2010 for sure.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#293880) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 09, 2010

Review by Chris S
5 stars Hail To The .......no just kidding Someone Here is Missing is the strongest album so far from Pineapple Thief. Bruce Soord does sound similar too to Steve Wilson at times but sadly the comparitive monikers do not go away. They should cos these guys really do rock on their own turf." Nothing At Best" possibly the finest song on the album, with great instrumentation all round and cutting lyrics. The sound is more spongy with fuzzy vocals at times. " Wake Up The Dead" has that addictive sound to it again with some awesome drum work and dizzy stereo flicks. I would love to hear this album loud on a really classy sound system. The production is so clean. " Show A Little Love" has great guitar licks, spacey keys and great vocals. And that is just discussing three tracks out of ten. I could go on, the whole album is a winner, powerhouse energy and nice bevelled smooth production. " The Sate We're In" could be a huge single if it was marketed properly " So We Row" closes off the set with some great Floydian sound effects before building to a manic frenzy. This is Pineapple Thief's finest album by far, essential music.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#297242) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 03, 2010

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
2 stars Finally we have a Pineapple Thief album that doesn't send me off to a comforting nap. The band added a good chunk of power and heaviness to their sound, something that makes them sound even more like a Radiohead meets Porcupine Tree clone, but it is exactly that bit of power they needed to make their emotive music come alive. And luckily this is one of those rare cases of cloning where the quality of the result compensates for the lack in originality.

Pineapple Thief combines the noisy 'cool' of indie-rock with progressive elements.The result is rather poppy (even slightly techno-tock at times), but the combination proves to be very fertile. Instantly likeable but ultimately forgettable. Not an album I've kept in rotation for very long.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#299374) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 16, 2010

Review by snobb
2 stars Besides of Peter Gabriel-era Genesis endless clones (usually tagged as "neo-prog") there are more fresh trend in cloning - Steven Wilson projects clones. This trend still doesn't have own name, but quite easily could be recognized from almost first album's sounds.

I believe fans of simple, melancholic pop-rock with electronic arrangements will find this album quite attractive. Musicians are competent, songs have something what could be counted as melodies, vocalist's voice is dreamy and even romantic in moments. You can drive your car (if you have one, or if you are old enough to have driving license), make your homeworks,etc. and listen this album. Really not too much annoying background sound.

Yes, to be more attractive guys adding some (very stereotype) heavy rock elements to their sound. Not like their music really needs it, but possibly it's more like salt and pepper in your everyday soup.

From positive side I must to say, that comparing with myriads of their market competitors they are really above average in sense of musicality level and even arrangements. And for sure they are full head higher of such simplified pseudo-prog releases, as Gazpacho. Hey, beside of synth they even have some scratching guitars (not too much, they would never shock your Grandma if she will hear what kind of music you're listening).

All in all, nice indie-pop band with few proggy moments, targeted to indie-pop fans with some interest to a bit more progressive music, than their regular menu is. My rating is 2+, hardly interesting album for true prog rock fan

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#306217) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 23, 2010

Review by lazland
2 stars This was, I think, my first 2010 new album purchase of the year, and I have held off from reviewing it until quite late in the year, mainly to give it a number of listens to see if it will grow on me and if I could start to enjoy it. Regrettably, I have not.

Actually, if I were a great fan of indie and post rock, or certainly writing a review for such a site, then this would probably rate at least a good album. However, on both criteria, I am not. This is a prog site, and i have to say that the only prog related reason this album is on the site is because of the painfully obvious similarities to Muse & Radiohead. I am not a fan of the former, so cannot really comment. I certainly do love Radiohead, and the simple fact of the matter is that that band do this type of stuff in a vastly superior manner to Pineapple Thief.

There are many culprits on this album, but if there are any worse derivative tracks than Wake Up The dead, then I would like to hear them. Basically, this is Yorke and greenwood, plus production effects, without the genius associated with those two.

If you have to own every single album by this band, then you will need to buy this. I do not.

Two stars for a decent enough (but not that good) indie album, but one that contains barely a hint of any form of progressive rock whatsoever.

Send comments to lazland (BETA) | Report this review (#320706) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 15, 2010

5 stars The Pineapple Thief is a band that manages to craft very well-written songs that stand both on their own and within the context of the album. While I enjoy albums that flow from start to finish and seem to have some cohesive theme, I always find that I do not have the time to listen to them, or that ... (read more)

Report this review (#1285956) | Posted by Obsidian Pigeon | Monday, September 29, 2014 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Unfortunately very few people have heard of this band, but in my mind they fill stadiums. The Pineapple Thief, initially a vehicle for main man Bruce Soord's solo work, have been going as a band proper since around 2002 (or around 3000 days, more of which later) and have released a number of fin ... (read more)

Report this review (#350339) | Posted by Starless | Sunday, December 12, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I've listened to every Pineapple Thief album. My love for progressive music is boundless. I love all the subgenres, the eras, etc... I think Pineapple Thief is getting better with time. This band has a sound of their own with one big problem, they overcooked their sound. Tightly Unwound wa ... (read more)

Report this review (#316243) | Posted by themortician | Friday, November 12, 2010 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I was foolish enough to buy this album because of some of the review on this site (not going to do that again!). This is a decent work--it's certainly much better than anything you'll hear on the radio--but it's mostly a weak cross between Porcupine Tree and Radiohead. The songs are very short (m ... (read more)

Report this review (#306177) | Posted by Thickasabrick31 | Saturday, October 23, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The Pineapple Thief have been progressing and defining there sound over the past few years and seem to finally be settling into a comfort zone."Someone Here Is Missing" pushes forward the sound that was established in "Tightly Unwound" and improves upon many aspects. Songwriting: The structure ... (read more)

Report this review (#289421) | Posted by Terrestrial Winds | Tuesday, July 06, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Yes, PINEAPPLE THIEF sounds like an offspring of Steven Wilson, but the boys keep growing, putting out very listenable--even engaging--music. I really loved "Tightly Unwound"--their first album that began to express a little originality. This latest, "Someone Here Is Missing" continues to show the ... (read more)

Report this review (#284746) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Thursday, June 03, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PINEAPPLE THIEF "Someone Here is Missing"