BACK TO FRONT

Caravan Back to Front  album cover

Collectors/fans only

Buy CARAVAN Music
Studio Album, released in 1982

1. Back to Herne Bay front (5:55)
2. Bet you wanna take it all / Hold on hold on (5:20)
3. A.A. Man (5:02)
4. Videos of Hollywood (5:11)
5. Sally don't change it (4:06)
6. All aboard (4:08)
7. Taken my breath away (4:52)
8. Proper job / Back to front (8:19)

Search CARAVAN Back to Front lyrics

Search CARAVAN Back to Front tabs

- Richard Coughlan / drums, percussion, voice (8)
- Pye Hastings / guitar, vocals
- David Sinclair / keyboards, lead vocals (8)
- Richard Sinclair / lead vocals, bass, guitar (3)
+ Mel Collins / saxophone

July 1982 Reissued on Kingdom CDKVS 5011

CARAVAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CARAVAN Back to Front Music

In the Land of Grey & PinkIn the Land of Grey & Pink
Universal UK 2011
In the Land of Grey & PinkIn the Land of Grey & Pink
Polygram UK 2005
If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do ItIf I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It
Polygram UK 2001
For Girls Who Grow Plump in NightFor Girls Who Grow Plump in Night
Polygram UK 2005
Blind Dog at St DunstansBlind Dog at St Dunstans
Repertoire 1994
CaravanCaravan
Universal I.S. 2002
NEAR MIN JAPANESE PRESSING! CARAVAN "For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night " US $30.00 [0 bids]
43m 26s
MCCABE, JOHN - JOHN MCCABE: LES MARTINETS NOIRS; CARAVAN - NEW CD US $17.05 Buy It Now 1h 19m
American Caravan (10 x LP + 1 BONUS LP, Columbia PM-5047) G/VG+ US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Wali and the Afro Caravan - Home Lost & Found LP PROMO Copy Beat Spiritual Jazz US $15.05 [3 bids]
VARIOUS // Medicine Ball Caravan / ORIGINAL 1971 LP / SEALED! US $15.98 Buy It Now 2h 14m
GypSy CarAVan Live At BerbAti 1994 caSSettE PortlanD, ORegon US $1.99 [0 bids]
JOE VALINO CARAVAN / GARDEN OF EDEN 45 RECORD VIK 4X-0226 WITH COMPANY SLEEVE US $6.00 Buy It Now 2h 52m
CARAVAN 1st LP MINT UK 1969 MGM pressing 2nd Jacket issue Canterbury UK Psych NM US $24.99 [0 bids]
3h
CARAVAN Land Of Grey And Pink Japan Orig gatefold w/ OBI UK Psych prog DERAM NM US $36.00 [3 bids]
?LISTEN n6332 LP - HOTEL ORCHESTRA - [Caravan] [In The Mood] [Sing Sing Sing] US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Pantera "Planet Caravan" 1994 Limited red vinyl import record US $65.00 [0 bids]
Caravan ex UK LP Better by Far US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 50m
Caravan german LP This Is US $9.75 Buy It Now 3h 50m
Caravan promo LP Best of 1970-74 US $9.75 Buy It Now 3h 51m
Caravan - Cunning Stunts (2002) US $14.02 Buy It Now 4h 47m
Caravan Remix, Inspiral Carpets, Good Vinyl US $9.64 Buy It Now 5h 4m
GOLDFRAPP CARAVAN GIRL 7" VINYL PICTURE DISC 2008 UK ORIG. FROM SEVENTH TREE LP US $22.00 Buy It Now 5h 42m
Caravan - Wander Around - Japan CD - NEW J-POP US $15.99 Buy It Now 5h 46m
CARAVAN - For Penguin who hatch in the Polar Night (live) - VERY RARE - CD US $39.99 [0 bids]
Caravan - Live At Metropolis Studios London CD US $15.79 Buy It Now 5h 54m
Caravan - For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night CD US $17.14 Buy It Now 5h 55m
TULA.DON'T SAY A WORD.STATIC CARAVAN 7'' NEW UNPLAYED US $4.85 Buy It Now 7h
Show of Our Lives: Caravan at the BBC 1968-1975 [Slipcase] by Caravan (CD,... US $24.85 Buy It Now 7h 3m
ROBIN TROWER Caravan To Midnight CHRYSALIS UK Original LP US $19.47 Buy It Now 7h 36m
STATIC CARAVAN T-SHIRT STONE XL AVANT GARDE INDIE NEW UNUSED INDIE MUSIC US $11.34 Buy It Now 8h 13m
LENNY DEE - CARAVAN - Original USA 7" Juke Box Single US $12.97 Buy It Now 8h 44m
CARAVAN ~~ CARAVAN{{VINYL EYE}} US $27.63 Buy It Now 8h 56m
CARAVAN the new symphonia JAPAN mini lp SHM CD SEALED US $26.99 Buy It Now 9h 12m
CARAVAN - WATERLOO LILY - RARE VINYL US $50.00 [0 bids]
Duane Eddy(7" Vinyl)Caravan-Parlophone-R 4826-UK-Ex/VG US $8.91 Buy It Now 9h 25m
CARAVAN - CUNNING STUNTS - RARE VINYL US $30.00 [0 bids]
ISLEY-JASPER-ISLEY "CARAVAN OF LOVE" 1985 CBS ZS4 05611 45RPM US $0.99 [0 bids]
Inspiral Carpets Caravan 2 mixes Uk Dj 12" US $12.99 Buy It Now 10h 52m
Caravan ( Paiace ) New ~ Promo CD US $17.00 Buy It Now 10h 54m
CARAVAN obscure '75 USA 7" 45 STUCK IN A HOLE on BTM, progressive US $19.80 Buy It Now 10h 57m
Caravan, Blind Dog At Dunstans, LP, M/EX Condition 1976 US $6.95 Buy It Now 11h 38m
Robin Trower Caravan To Midnight 8 Track Tape TESTED US $6.00 Buy It Now 11h 53m
CARAVAN Waterloo Lily CD Japan 10 tracks Decca UICY-2391 bonus tracks US $6.00 [2 bids]
THE HOUSEMARTINS Caravan Of Love 12" Single Vinyl Record Go! Discs 1986 EX US $14.59 Buy It Now 12h 36m
Gomez How We Operate Caravan PROMO 45 ATO 2006 Clear Blue Vinyl 7" NM US $7.99 Buy It Now 12h 49m
Rare Caravan - Better by Far CD Digitally remastered NEW US $24.99 Buy It Now 12h 52m
Smokey Rogers Western Caravan long lost love 78 rpm n/m country swing US $10.00 [0 bids]
DISCO.....DEODATO.....CARAVAN/WATUSI STRUT & WATUSI STRUT..1975..(M-)..CAN HEAR US $1.99 [0 bids]
CARAVAN waterloo lily 1972 UK DERAM 1ST PRESSING STEREO LP US $73.03 Buy It Now 14h
Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink PS 593 - British Import US $59.95 [0 bids]
Caravan of Love: Best of US $15.67 Buy It Now 14h 20m
BLEY PAUL - CARAVAN SUITE - SCCD31316 US $21.89 Buy It Now 14h 22m
SANTO & JOHNNY "CARAVAN" 45 RPM US $4.49 Buy It Now 14h 33m
Cunning Stunts by Caravan(BTM...1975) VG+ LP US $4.00 Buy It Now 14h 57m
Bill Bourne , Audio CD, Songs From a Gypsy Caravan US $14.83 Buy It Now 15h
Flamenco Caravan, Flores, Rodrigo, Good US $5.74 Buy It Now 15h 50m
COZY COLE: Caravan (Parts I & II) ~ 1959 Grand Award 45 ? Big Beat sound HEAR IT US $29.95 [0 bids]
JAMES BLOOD ULMER Live at Caravan of Dreams Amin Ali LP US $39.97 Buy It Now 16h 9m
The Silk Road A Musical Caravan 2 CD Set, Smithsonian US $9.00 Buy It Now 16h 22m
Caravan To Midnight by Robin Trower(Chrysalis...1978) VG+ LP US $3.80 Buy It Now 16h 43m
Hatfield and the North - Afters Vinyl LP - 1980 Virgin UK - Canterbury+ Caravan US $24.98 [0 bids]
Caravan - Back to Front Vinyl LP - 1982 Kingdom - Canterbury Progressive US $9.98 [0 bids]
17h
CAMEL - CARAVAN IL ROCK DE AGOSTINI ITA UNIQUE COVER US $43.99 Buy It Now 17h 13m
Inspiral Carpets/Caravan/1991 CD Single US $4.85 Buy It Now 17h 14m
COZY COLE & EARL HINES Cozy's Caravan & Earl's Backroom FELSTED Mono US $12.75 Buy It Now 17h 18m
ERROLL GARNER Vintage Columbia LP 6-eye Labels Caravan Piano Jazz Essentia 1950s US $15.00 Buy It Now 17h 23m
Complete Camel Caravan Shows Goodman, Benny Audio CD US $18.71 Buy It Now 17h 27m
Bellydance Odyssey - Caravan Galactic New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $18.12 Buy It Now 17h 34m
NEW Soft 'N' Heavy: Atomic Rooster, Animals, Caravan, US $29.99 Buy It Now 17h 37m
WILLIE GILMER AT THE GOSPEL CARAVAN - BLACK GOSPEL 45 US $7.99 Buy It Now 17h 50m
Caravan - Cunning Stunts - CD US $12.97 Buy It Now 17h 59m
Peter White Caravan of Dreams CD Venice Beach Just Another Day w/Basia1996 Sony US $16.99 Buy It Now 18h 6m
BERKLAND Caravan 1989 JAPAN CD album US $13.60 Buy It Now 18h 7m
Buddy Rich SEVEN CLASSIC ALBUMS VOL 2 In Miami BLUES CARAVAN New Sealed 4 CD US $11.99 Buy It Now 18h 34m
Caravan: With the Duke Ellington All-Stars and the Billy Strayhorn All-Stars... US $7.03 Buy It Now 18h 36m
Caravan - Blind Dog at St.Dunstans Japan Cd Mini Lp Replica Album US $30.00 [0 bids]
The Shoemaker and the Elves Caravan Records C-17 1949 US $5.00 [0 bids]
Bellydance in the Mix [Digipak] * by Body Shock (CD, Mar-2010, Caravan Records) US $10.29 Buy It Now 19h 36m
VINTAGE Vincent Youmans Dance Album Barry Winton RED VINYL 45 RPM Caravan RARE US $25.00 [0 bids]
MOTT THE HOOPLE+MATCHING MOLE Playback 7" EP+PS Picture Sleeve Bowie Caravan US $22.20 Buy It Now 21h 54m
Caravan - Man & Buffalo LP RARE Reissue Thai Folk SEALED US $39.09 [13 bids]
BILL SEVESI ~ POLYNESIA : THE VERY BEST OF (CD) (HAWAIIAN COWBOY / CARAVAN) US $24.90 Buy It Now 22h 10m
Isley Jasper Isley "Caravan of Love" LP in SHRINK US $5.57 Buy It Now 22h 27m
FREDDIE MITCHELL Caravan Boogie/Hot Ice 45 rpm ABC-Paramount 1961 INSTRO-R US $5.95 [0 bids]
The European Tour 2011: Live at Shepards Bush Empire by Caravan (2 cds) US $13.99 [0 bids]
CARAVAN Waterloo Lily JAPAN AUTHENTIC SHM MINI LP CD NEW OOP RARE UICY-94329 US $37.99 Buy It Now 22h 55m
DEAN BROWN YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE CARAVAN101 SEALED LP US $7.99 Buy It Now 23h 2m
CARAVAN For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night 1st US Press LONDON LP STERLING US $19.99 [0 bids]
The Merrymen 45 Record In The Caribbean - Gannet Bounce Caravan NM US $9.99 [0 bids]
LEE ANN WOMACK-Some Things I Know-COUNTRY CARAVAN-C&W US $8.49 Buy It Now 23h 21m
American Antarai - Caravan US $10.84 Buy It Now 23h 23m
STEVEN GROSSMAN: Caravan Tonight 1974 Mercury SRM-1-702 LP WL Promo NM US $50.00 Buy It Now 23h 34m
CD The Silk Road a Musical Caravan Two-Disc Set Smithsonian Folkways US $5.00 [0 bids]
Robin Trower Caravan To Midnight Vinyl LP CHR 1189 US $3.00 Buy It Now 1 day
CARL & MARIE JACKSON Lay Away Heart ROCKABILLY COUNTRY 45 on CARAVAN *HEAR IT US $19.99 [0 bids]
Comedy Caravan Album US $6.00 [0 bids]
The Silk Road A Musical Caravan 2 CD Set 2 Disc US $15.99 Buy It Now 1 day
JIMMY CARAVAN: HEY JUDE 1970 LP Jazz Funk Breaks US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
NATIONAL HEALTH S/T 1981 Japan Orig Press UK Psych Prog CARAVAN NEAR MINT US $19.99 [0 bids]
Caravan Cunning Stunts New Sealed CD US $7.23 Buy It Now 1 day
CARAVAN Waterloo Lily vinyl LP 1972 LONDON US $39.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Spirit Caravan - Dreamwheel Ep CD US $11.92 Buy It Now 1 day
Mayumi Kojima - Swingin' Caravan - Japan CD - NEW J-POP Limited Edition US $17.09 Buy It Now 1 day
CARAVAN SUITE PAUL BLEY STEEPLECHASE CD DENMARK US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Caravan(CD Album)Travelling Man-Mooncrest-CRESTCD 029-UK-New & Sealed US $8.79 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy CARAVAN music online Buy CARAVAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CARAVAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CARAVAN Back to Front ratings distribution

CARAVAN Back to Front reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars this is from the original line-up and although better than its predecessor still a disappointment but the times would not allow them greater freedom. It seems the band enjoyed enough Videos , that this popped-up regularly in the 90's concert. Really a bunch of uninspired songs , but still one can hear somehow , how this was still Caravan. The opener and the final number are the better numbers on this album but the rest is rather unexciting.

This album had already been released on Cd but got a remastering (and probably a few bonus) on the Eclectic Label in late 2004

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#21426) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 02, 2004

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars SHOULD I COME BACK AND STAY ? WHAT FOR?

This is another existential question that the Sinclair cousins might have considered before rejoining "Caravan". Lots of hopes when you see the line-up. The original one, yes! But the least I can say, is that this album is not very much inspired.

Very pleasant vocals of course, some upbeat and pop songs ("Hold On", "Videos Of Hollywood"). Not bad but way off expectations. This reminds me more of the poor "Camel" of the late seventies (but both bands have profound links of course).

I have never been a great fan of the band but I have to say that they released very few bad albums so far (actually only one : "The Album") but to be honest, there is very little to retain from this one. A major deception if you considered the musicians involved here. The core of a band which created a style on their own. I have always been granted "Caravan" for this. But such an album won't add anything great to their fame.

Mellow mood with "Sally Don't Change It". Press next (but you could already have hit this key with "Videos)

This album is not very good. Might be OK when you listen to it abstractedly. But does "Caravan" music need to be listened to that way? I guess not. The finale of "All Abroad" is awful and disco oriented. And it is not the reggae-ish "Taken By Breath Away" that will convince you (nor myself). What the hell did happen to "Caravan"? Probably the same dreadful eighties syndrome.

I guess that the very few reviews for this album indicates sufficiently that it isn't really an essential album (even for die-hard fans).

Three out of ten (max) is the rate. Since it is still not possible on PA I will downgrade it to one star. A poor album indeed. Don't bother with this album.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#160657) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 03, 2008

Review by octopus-4
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
2 stars I took years, after the first spin, to find the courage to retry this album. When I have bought it in 1982 it was a total disappointment as I was expecting a lot from the original lineup of a band able to release to of my all time favorite albums: If I could.. and In the Land...

The first disappointing thing was the cover sheet. It's a clear remind to Escher with flowers turning into birds, but what does it have to do with the album?

"Back To Herne Bay Front" is not a bad track at all. It has lost the disco-funky mood of some songs of the previous "The Album", even if I really dislike the sound used by David Sinclair on the solo. It's jazzy and the bass and vocals are quite good.

What's now? " Bet you wanna take it all / Hold on hold on" an uptime glam-rock&roll song...no, I don't need anything like this. What's the sense of releasing a pop song that would have been good in 1970 while in 1982? It wouldn't have been a success in 1970 either. In the second half (or the second song) when it slows down is a bit better. Mel Collins plays a nice solo even on a trivial base.

I have controversial feelings about "A.A. Man". It features non-trivial passages, odd signatures and Richard's voice, but it doesn't do much for me. inserted in a different album would have been different. It could have been a good filler if part of a good disc.

"Videos Of Hollywood" is a song that seems taken from Camel's I Can See Your House From Here. Probably because of Richard's vocals. If only the guitar was played by Andy Latimer.... Also the sounds used by David Sinclair are similar to those used by Camel on that album. Add Mel Collins' sax and this is a "lost Camel's song".

"Sally Don't Change it " is on the same strings but almost without drums. It's Camel more than Caravan but without Latimer. I don't know where Pye Hastings is. He could have found room for good solos on songs of this kind, but there's very few guitar here.

"All Aboard" is nothing special, a pop Caravan song to let go in the background.

"Take My Breath Away" is in my opinion the poorest track of the album. I can't find a sense in this song. It seems survived from the disaster of The Album. Already heard and already discarded.

"Proper Job" starts similar to Nine Feet Underground. Of course it's just few seconds. It sounds like an attempt to return to the good moments and effectively there are moment in this closer that can remind to better moments. Add to this Mel's sax and the result is not that bad.

Back to Front is not totally back. Even if surely better than "The Album" (doing better wasn't a hard thing to do), it still doesn't deserve the third star, but apart of 3 weak songs all the rest is listenable and there are tracks of the old goodies.

2.5 stars

Send comments to octopus-4 (BETA) | Report this review (#427749) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars Better. But not by far

Caravan soldiered on during the early 80's with Back To Front, another entry in a series of weak albums from the group that began with Blind Dog At St. Dunstans. Back To Front is better than the previous The Album, but it is not better by far. The material is still uninspired, but at least here they again sound like Caravan. I find it a pleasant enough listen, but it fails to make an impact or leave any lasting impressions. After this album there would be a longer silence from the band and not until 1995 would they release another studio album. I think it was clear that they had come to the end of the line here. And like for most other classic progressive Rock bands, the 80's were not kind to them.

The song Videos Of Hollywood was previously familiar to me from Caravan's entry in the Classic Rock Legends video series. It is a rather simple Pop number, but at least it has a memorable melody and a characteristic lead vocal.

Back To Front is another Caravan album for fans and collectors

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#1130074) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 11, 2014

4 stars Caravan is back! And then I really mean it. "Back in front" from 1982 is the best Caravan album since 1975 and I would call it equal to "Girls..." and "Cunning...". What's so awesome here is that Richard Sinclair and Dave Sinclair are back. Although Caravan is amazing even without them, they w ... (read more)

Report this review (#1072767) | Posted by DrömmarenAdrian | Tuesday, November 05, 2013 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Before listening to this album I had my hopes up. After a couple of lousy albums (Better By Far & The Album) Caravan returned to their classical form with Richard Sinclair back. Maybe Back To Front isn't as bad as The Album (whose name is already a cry for help), still it remains at the bottom of th ... (read more)

Report this review (#344551) | Posted by BrainStillLife | Monday, December 06, 2010 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Ewwww. They should really put a warning label on hazardous music like this: "May induce intense bouts of frustration, disgust, nausea, vomiting, and thoughts of suicide." It's true the thoughts of either ending my life or the disk's life did cross my mind, after it being my aural displeasure of h ... (read more)

Report this review (#293883) | Posted by LionRocker | Monday, August 09, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars OK, granted, this isn't in the top flight of Caravan albums; but I think most Caravan fans will still appreciate this album. Especially with the welcome return of Robert Wyatt and Richard Sinclair to the line-up. AA Man and Proper Job make the album worth buying on their own. For me the low-p ... (read more)

Report this review (#164719) | Posted by AYoungErrol | Sunday, March 23, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A great comeback by a classic canterbury band. After the collapse of The Album lineup, the original quartet got back together and released an album with a more canterbury feel than anything since Cunning Stunts and with compositions better than anythin since Blind Dog at St. Dunstans. The Sincl ... (read more)

Report this review (#39374) | Posted by beterdedthnred4 | Wednesday, July 13, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CARAVAN "Back to Front "