BACK TO FRONT

Caravan Back to Front  album cover

Collectors/fans only

Buy CARAVAN Music
Studio Album, released in 1982

1. Back to Herne Bay front (5:55)
2. Bet you wanna take it all / Hold on hold on (5:20)
3. A.A. Man (5:02)
4. Videos of Hollywood (5:11)
5. Sally don't change it (4:06)
6. All aboard (4:08)
7. Taken my breath away (4:52)
8. Proper job / Back to front (8:19)

Search CARAVAN Back to Front lyrics

Search CARAVAN Back to Front tabs

- Richard Coughlan / drums, percussion, voice (8)
- Pye Hastings / guitar, vocals
- David Sinclair / keyboards, lead vocals (8)
- Richard Sinclair / lead vocals, bass, guitar (3)
+ Mel Collins / saxophone

July 1982 Reissued on Kingdom CDKVS 5011

CARAVAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CARAVAN Back to Front Music

For Girls Who Grow Plump in NightFor Girls Who Grow Plump in Night
Polygram UK 2005
Blind Dog at St DunstansBlind Dog at St Dunstans
Repertoire 1994
1948 Tex Williams and his Western Caravan 78 "Cotton Eyed Joe" Capitol 40206 US $1.99 [0 bids]
2h
Tzigane Balalaikas Gypsy Strings: Set 1 Caravan CRS-308 US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 7m
Vintage Race Little Black Sambo Translucent Red 78RPM Caravan Madge Tucker US $6.99 [1 bids]
CARAVAN CUNNING STUNTS JAPAN MINI LP CD US $24.80 Buy It Now 3h
Caravan 70s POP ROCK PSYCH DJ LP Best Of USA ISSUE US $17.98 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Caravan in the land of grey and pink gate orig london us lp '71 nm folk psych !! US $99.00 Buy It Now 3h 29m
Caravan by Ralph Marterie (CD, Feb-2007, Montpellier) US $11.99 Buy It Now 3h 36m
ISLEY JASPER ISLEY vinyl lp CARAVAN OF LOVE US $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 37m
Isaac Douglas & John Howard Gospel Caravan (1985) Gospel Soul Savoy Lp US $5.00 [0 bids]
CARAVAN If I could do it all over again I'd do it all over you Orig great shape US $69.99 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Caravan The Best of Caravan Canterbury Tales Prog genius US $6.00 [0 bids]
4h
1948 TEX WILLIAMS WESTERN CARAVAN 78 "Cotton Eyed Joe" Capitol 40206 US $2.99 [0 bids]
Caravan Palace - Caravan Palace NEW CD US $17.34 Buy It Now 4h 11m
Hodges,Johnny All-Stars - Caravan [CD New] US $10.40 Buy It Now 4h 24m
Crosby,Bob & Bobcats - 1939 Camel Caravan Shows [CD New] US $17.18 Buy It Now 4h 26m
ROBIN TROWER "CARAVAN TO MIDNIGHT" MINT 1978 UK IMPORT CHRYSALIS CHR 1189 LP US $19.99 [0 bids]
"D'Urso,Joe And Stone Caravan Cause CD" US $15.84 Buy It Now 5h 37m
BOB CROSBY Collectors LP 1939 Radio Set CAMEL CARAVAN US $19.00 Buy It Now 5h 37m
NEW JOHN HOWARD GOSPEL CARAVAN i want to be holy LP SEALED modern soul gospel US $25.00 Buy It Now 5h 39m
Rene Touzet & His Rhythm Quartet/Caravan-Mambo en Espana/Fiesta 20-007/E+ & E-% US $12.00 Buy It Now 6h 4m
78 RPM Who? Me? & Foolish Years Sung By Tex Williams And His Western Caravan US $3.00 Buy It Now 6h 9m
Robin Trower Lp, Caravan To Midnight, Sealed, Mint Lp,1978 US $7.99 [0 bids]
The Rhythm Cats Blue Saxophone Cool Caravan 78 Rpm Vintage Specialty Label US $24.99 Buy It Now 6h 21m
Sandy Nelson. Sandy/Caravan. Imperial Promo US $7.50 Buy It Now 6h 32m
"Desert Caravan" Oscarlima *NEAR MINT* 2000 CD - Rubber Records US $11.16 Buy It Now 6h 53m
CARAVAN 1975 BTM LP Cunning Stunts in SHRINK WRAP US $15.77 Buy It Now 7h 3m
ISLEY-JASPER-ISLEY "CARAVAN OF LOVE" 1985 CBS ZS4 05611 45RPM US $0.99 [0 bids]
Galactic Caravan Journey To India CD US $10.75 Buy It Now 7h 34m
"Antolini,charly / Caravan CD" US $15.21 Buy It Now 7h 37m
CARAVAN CUNNING STUNTS BTM VINYL LP 1975 PROG ORIG PRESS PLAYS GREAT! VG+/VG!! US $8.99 Buy It Now 7h 54m
CARAVAN -CUNNING STUNTS-JAPAN ISSUE+OBI US $59.99 Buy It Now 8h 2m
CARAVAN-FOR GIRLS WHO GROW PLUMP IN~-JAPAN PROMO WHITE LABEL+OBI US $97.99 Buy It Now 8h 11m
CARAVAN-FOR GIRLS WHO GROW PLUMP IN~-JAPAN ISSUE+OBI US $59.99 Buy It Now 9h 6m
Caravan - Wander Around - Japan CD+DVD - NEW J-POP US $17.58 Buy It Now 10h 53m
Caravan - Thailand: Songs For Life CD US $22.09 Buy It Now 12h 3m
Caravan Palace - Caravan Palace NEW CD US $15.68 Buy It Now 12h 20m
rare russian jazz David Gazarov-piano: Stayer Take five Caravan etc UNPLAYED US $7.50 [0 bids]
Caravan - For Girls Who Grow Plump In the Night NEW CD US $10.14 Buy It Now 13h 57m
DEBORAH COLEMAN/VARI - BLUES CARAVAN: GUITARS & FEATHERS - NEW CD US $13.00 Buy It Now 14h 38m
Jimmy Caravan Hey Jude Beatles Doors OtisRedding covers IsaacHayes organ soul US $9.99 [0 bids]
Shannon Jackson - When Colors Play (Caravan Of Dreams) Lp US $14.99 Buy It Now 15h 4m
PANTERA PLANET CARAVAN AUSTRALIAN CASSINGLE CASSETTE TAPE US $42.03 Buy It Now 15h 30m
Blind Dog at St. Dunstan's Caravan CD US $8.34 Buy It Now 15h 33m
FLAMENCO CARAVAN - Love's Philosophy - NEW (sealed) CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 16h 9m
1975 CARAVAN LP BTM 5000 Still Sealed (2 lightly bumped corners) US $11.99 Buy It Now 16h 28m
CARAVAN And The New Symphonia JAPAN MINI-LP CD OBI SEALED +1 1974 SHM-CD US $29.99 Buy It Now 17h 23m
CARAVAN:CARAVAN US $11.75 Buy It Now 17h 58m
Caravan A Hunting We Shall Go: Live In 1974 LP NL 8713748981624 Music On Vinyl n US $19.48 [0 bids]
Caravan Caravan CD UK 042288295228 Verve Forecast new US $7.48 [0 bids]
18h
Caravan For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night CD UK 042288298021 Deram new US $8.48 [0 bids]
18h
Caravan If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You CD UK 0422882968 US $8.48 [0 bids]
Caravan In the Land of Grey and Pink CD G 042282052025 Deram new US $6.98 [0 bids]
Caravan Songs For Oblivion Fishermen CD UK 666629130025 Hux Records new US $9.48 [0 bids]
Caravan Waterloo Lily CD USA 042288298229 Deram new US $8.48 [0 bids]
BENNY GOODMAN AND HIS ORCHESTRA camel caravan broadcasts LP 6 track (jasm2518) u US $8.64 Buy It Now 18h 19m
Jazz Keyboard Exotic 45 Johnny Dupont SPECTRUM / CARAVAN WLP Columbia 43762 NM-! US $14.99 Buy It Now 18h 28m
PRETTY PURDIE 45 Funky Donkey / Caravan DATE Soul DISCO #H51 US $20.00 Buy It Now 18h 44m
GLEN GRAY - CAMEL CARAVAN - FANFARE LP US $3.99 [0 bids]
Caravan-Blind Dog At St. Dunstans-Orig. Arista White Label Promo LP-1976-PROG US $7.99 Buy It Now 19h 21m
HOUSEMARTINS, THE Caravan Of Love 12" UK Hull Fat Boy Slim US $3.99 [0 bids]
Danny Hoctor LP Dance Caravan '82 Hoctor Funk Breaks US $1.97 Buy It Now 20h
CARAVAN OF LIGHT-David Arkenstone-VOCALS/GUITAR/EBOW/PROGRAMMING-Jazz General-CD US $9.29 Buy It Now 20h 6m
LILIENTHAL.TIN GREY BLACK.STATIC CARAVAN VINYL ALBUM US $13.43 Buy It Now 20h 22m
CARAVAN - LAND OF GREY AND PINK - Splatter Vinyl GREY PINK VINYL 2 MINT LP US $33.60 Buy It Now 20h 48m
Wino Adrift LP saint vitus spirit caravan volcom entertainment pentagram SEALED US $17.99 Buy It Now 20h 49m
Bob Crosby 1939 Camel Caravan Shows CD 2003 Harlequin Jazz Band US $3.99 [0 bids]
21h
CARAVAN/Live in Nottingham [Remaster](CD, Nov-2002, Classic Rock Productions) US $17.99 Buy It Now 21h 11m
GOLDFRAPP - 2x 7" picture disc sealed Happiness & Caravan Girl US $28.49 Buy It Now 21h 14m
CARAVAN Cunning Stunts JAPAN CD OBI US $17.99 Buy It Now 21h 35m
Medicine Ball Caravan Orig 1971 Warner Bros. BS-2565 Stereo Vinyl White Label EX US $19.99 [0 bids]
Jimmy Caravan and His Jazz / Blues Organ "HEY JUDE" Original 1970 Vault Records US $29.99 [0 bids]
Caravan US $13.99 Buy It Now 21h 48m
THE HOUSEMARTINS - Caravan Of Love (UK 2 Trk 1986 7" Single PS) US $3.85 Buy It Now 21h 53m
Vaughn Monroe - Caravan lp US $14.99 Buy It Now 21h 54m
MODERN SOUL / CLIFFORD SCOTT / KING 5836 / BROADWAY CARAVAN / TOSSED SALAD / NM- US $24.99 Buy It Now 21h 57m
ROBIN TROWER - CARAVAN TO MIDNIGHT VINYL LP 1978 CHR1189 US $13.43 Buy It Now 22h 22m
CANTERBURY TALES The Best of Caravan 1972 UK Decca DKL-R8/2-2lps US $14.99 Buy It Now 22h 43m
MONTE MONTGOMERY LIVE AT THE CARAVAN OF DREAMS US $39.99 Buy It Now 22h 53m
Caravan by Art Blakey/The Jazz Messengers/Randy Bernsen/Art Blakey US $25.99 Buy It Now 23h 16m
Hellroad Caravan by Mannhai NEW ROCK/METAL CD-IMPORT US $4.99 Buy It Now 23h 19m
Big Big Train "The Underfall Yard" 2009 Sealed [ffo Caravan Haken Steven Wilson] US $18.07 Buy It Now 23h 58m
FREE U.S.sh/$3 int'l sh ~ NEW CD Deborah Coleman, Candye Kane, Da: Blues Caravan US $12.94 Buy It Now 1 day
Travelling Man by Caravan NEW SEALED UK CD, Feb-1998, Mooncrest Records) US $8.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Caravan A HUNTING WE SHALL GO Live MUSIC ON VINYL 180g Audiophile Sealed LP US $19.99 [0 bids]
Big Big Train "Far Skies Deep Time" 2010 EP Sealed [ffo Steve Hackett Caravan] US $12.59 Buy It Now 1 day
THE HOUSEMARTNS Caravan Of Love Ex Go Discs 1986 UK P/S 12" US $16.79 [0 bids]
Caravan CUNNING STUNTS Repertoire Expanded New Sealed CD US $9.99 [0 bids]
(DS304) The Painted Caravan, Children of the Rain - 2013 DJ CD US $3.34 Buy It Now 1 day
JESS & JAMES LP/1969 Portugal/Hard Psych Rock/Caravan US $38.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Symphony of Stars Caravan CD US $16.98 Buy It Now 1 day
HOUSEMARTINS, THE Caravan Of Love PICTURE SLEEVE 7" 45 record + juke box strip US $9.33 Buy It Now 1 day
Joe Valino: Garden of Eden / Caravan (VG+) 1950's US $2.79 [0 bids]
EDDIE LAYTON-Caravan (1960) Mono MERCURY LP US $7.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Robin Trower Caravan To Midnight & Twice Removed From Yesterday LP. Records US $5.50 [0 bids]
THE JOHNNY OTIS RYTHM & BLUES CARAVAN Complete Savoy Recordings 3 x CD US $16.81 [0 bids]
Hellroad Caravan by Mannhai (CD, Aug-2006, Phantom Import Distribution) US $4.11 Buy It Now 1 day
CARAVAN - LIVE IN CONCERT AT METROPOLIS STUDIOS (+DVD) NEW CD US $24.27 Buy It Now 1 day
Caravan Show Of Our Lives: Caravan At Bbc 1968-1975 CD US $11.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Spirit Caravan Dreamwheel CD US $7.22 Buy It Now 1 day
ARTHUR LYMAN Taboo/Caravan + 2 JAPAN 7" 33 Compact EP Early '60s Press NM WAX US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy CARAVAN music online Buy CARAVAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CARAVAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CARAVAN Back to Front ratings distribution

CARAVAN Back to Front reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars this is from the original line-up and although better than its predecessor still a disappointment but the times would not allow them greater freedom. It seems the band enjoyed enough Videos , that this popped-up regularly in the 90's concert. Really a bunch of uninspired songs , but still one can hear somehow , how this was still Caravan. The opener and the final number are the better numbers on this album but the rest is rather unexciting.

This album had already been released on Cd but got a remastering (and probably a few bonus) on the Eclectic Label in late 2004

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#21426) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 02, 2004

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars SHOULD I COME BACK AND STAY ? WHAT FOR?

This is another existential question that the Sinclair cousins might have considered before rejoining "Caravan". Lots of hopes when you see the line-up. The original one, yes! But the least I can say, is that this album is not very much inspired.

Very pleasant vocals of course, some upbeat and pop songs ("Hold On", "Videos Of Hollywood"). Not bad but way off expectations. This reminds me more of the poor "Camel" of the late seventies (but both bands have profound links of course).

I have never been a great fan of the band but I have to say that they released very few bad albums so far (actually only one : "The Album") but to be honest, there is very little to retain from this one. A major deception if you considered the musicians involved here. The core of a band which created a style on their own. I have always been granted "Caravan" for this. But such an album won't add anything great to their fame.

Mellow mood with "Sally Don't Change It". Press next (but you could already have hit this key with "Videos)

This album is not very good. Might be OK when you listen to it abstractedly. But does "Caravan" music need to be listened to that way? I guess not. The finale of "All Abroad" is awful and disco oriented. And it is not the reggae-ish "Taken By Breath Away" that will convince you (nor myself). What the hell did happen to "Caravan"? Probably the same dreadful eighties syndrome.

I guess that the very few reviews for this album indicates sufficiently that it isn't really an essential album (even for die-hard fans).

Three out of ten (max) is the rate. Since it is still not possible on PA I will downgrade it to one star. A poor album indeed. Don't bother with this album.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#160657) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 03, 2008

Review by octopus-4
COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
2 stars I took years, after the first spin, to find the courage to retry this album. When I have bought it in 1982 it was a total disappointment as I was expecting a lot from the original lineup of a band able to release to of my all time favorite albums: If I could.. and In the Land...

The first disappointing thing was the cover sheet. It's a clear remind to Escher with flowers turning into birds, but what does it have to do with the album?

"Back To Herne Bay Front" is not a bad track at all. It has lost the disco-funky mood of some songs of the previous "The Album", even if I really dislike the sound used by David Sinclair on the solo. It's jazzy and the bass and vocals are quite good.

What's now? " Bet you wanna take it all / Hold on hold on" an uptime glam-rock&roll song...no, I don't need anything like this. What's the sense of releasing a pop song that would have been good in 1970 while in 1982? It wouldn't have been a success in 1970 either. In the second half (or the second song) when it slows down is a bit better. Mel Collins plays a nice solo even on a trivial base.

I have controversial feelings about "A.A. Man". It features non-trivial passages, odd signatures and Richard's voice, but it doesn't do much for me. inserted in a different album would have been different. It could have been a good filler if part of a good disc.

"Videos Of Hollywood" is a song that seems taken from Camel's I Can See Your House From Here. Probably because of Richard's vocals. If only the guitar was played by Andy Latimer.... Also the sounds used by David Sinclair are similar to those used by Camel on that album. Add Mel Collins' sax and this is a "lost Camel's song".

"Sally Don't Change it " is on the same strings but almost without drums. It's Camel more than Caravan but without Latimer. I don't know where Pye Hastings is. He could have found room for good solos on songs of this kind, but there's very few guitar here.

"All Aboard" is nothing special, a pop Caravan song to let go in the background.

"Take My Breath Away" is in my opinion the poorest track of the album. I can't find a sense in this song. It seems survived from the disaster of The Album. Already heard and already discarded.

"Proper Job" starts similar to Nine Feet Underground. Of course it's just few seconds. It sounds like an attempt to return to the good moments and effectively there are moment in this closer that can remind to better moments. Add to this Mel's sax and the result is not that bad.

Back to Front is not totally back. Even if surely better than "The Album" (doing better wasn't a hard thing to do), it still doesn't deserve the third star, but apart of 3 weak songs all the rest is listenable and there are tracks of the old goodies.

2.5 stars

Send comments to octopus-4 (BETA) | Report this review (#427749) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars Better. But not by far

Caravan soldiered on during the early 80's with Back To Front, another entry in a series of weak albums from the group that began with Blind Dog At St. Dunstans. Back To Front is better than the previous The Album, but it is not better by far. The material is still uninspired, but at least here they again sound like Caravan. I find it a pleasant enough listen, but it fails to make an impact or leave any lasting impressions. After this album there would be a longer silence from the band and not until 1995 would they release another studio album. I think it was clear that they had come to the end of the line here. And like for most other classic progressive Rock bands, the 80's were not kind to them.

The song Videos Of Hollywood was previously familiar to me from Caravan's entry in the Classic Rock Legends video series. It is a rather simple Pop number, but at least it has a memorable melody and a characteristic lead vocal.

Back To Front is another Caravan album for fans and collectors

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#1130074) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 11, 2014

4 stars Caravan is back! And then I really mean it. "Back in front" from 1982 is the best Caravan album since 1975 and I would call it equal to "Girls..." and "Cunning...". What's so awesome here is that Richard Sinclair and Dave Sinclair are back. Although Caravan is amazing even without them, they w ... (read more)

Report this review (#1072767) | Posted by DrömmarenAdrian | Tuesday, November 05, 2013 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Before listening to this album I had my hopes up. After a couple of lousy albums (Better By Far & The Album) Caravan returned to their classical form with Richard Sinclair back. Maybe Back To Front isn't as bad as The Album (whose name is already a cry for help), still it remains at the bottom of th ... (read more)

Report this review (#344551) | Posted by BrainStillLife | Monday, December 06, 2010 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Ewwww. They should really put a warning label on hazardous music like this: "May induce intense bouts of frustration, disgust, nausea, vomiting, and thoughts of suicide." It's true the thoughts of either ending my life or the disk's life did cross my mind, after it being my aural displeasure of h ... (read more)

Report this review (#293883) | Posted by LionRocker | Monday, August 09, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars OK, granted, this isn't in the top flight of Caravan albums; but I think most Caravan fans will still appreciate this album. Especially with the welcome return of Robert Wyatt and Richard Sinclair to the line-up. AA Man and Proper Job make the album worth buying on their own. For me the low-p ... (read more)

Report this review (#164719) | Posted by AYoungErrol | Sunday, March 23, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A great comeback by a classic canterbury band. After the collapse of The Album lineup, the original quartet got back together and released an album with a more canterbury feel than anything since Cunning Stunts and with compositions better than anythin since Blind Dog at St. Dunstans. The Sincl ... (read more)

Report this review (#39374) | Posted by beterdedthnred4 | Wednesday, July 13, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CARAVAN "Back to Front "