BACK TO FRONT

Caravan Back to Front  album cover

Collectors/fans only

Buy CARAVAN Music
Studio Album, released in 1982

1. Back to Herne Bay front (5:55)
2. Bet you wanna take it all / Hold on hold on (5:20)
3. A.A. Man (5:02)
4. Videos of Hollywood (5:11)
5. Sally don't change it (4:06)
6. All aboard (4:08)
7. Taken my breath away (4:52)
8. Proper job / Back to front (8:19)

Search CARAVAN Back to Front lyrics

Search CARAVAN Back to Front tabs

- Richard Coughlan / drums, percussion, voice (8)
- Pye Hastings / guitar, vocals
- David Sinclair / keyboards, lead vocals (8)
- Richard Sinclair / lead vocals, bass, guitar (3)
+ Mel Collins / saxophone

July 1982 Reissued on Kingdom CDKVS 5011

CARAVAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CARAVAN Back to Front Music

In the Land of Grey & PinkIn the Land of Grey & Pink
Polygram UK 2005
In the Land of Grey & PinkIn the Land of Grey & Pink
Universal UK 2011
CaravanCaravan
Universal I.S. 2002
If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do ItIf I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It
Polygram UK 2001
For Girls Who Grow Plump in NightFor Girls Who Grow Plump in Night
Polygram UK 2005
All Over You & You TooAll Over You & You Too
Talking Elephant 2012
BLAKEY, Art/THE JAZZ MESSENGERS - Caravan (stereo) (reissue) - LP US $28.34 Buy It Now 1h 9m
The Housemartins(7" Vinyl P/S)Caravan Of Love-Go Discs-GOD 16-UK-Ex/Ex US $6.62 Buy It Now 1h 10m
(84P) The Winter Kings, Black Caravan - DJ CD US $5.39 Buy It Now 1h 15m
The Housemartins(7" Vinyl)Caravan Of Love / When I First Met Jesus-VG/Ex US $4.13 Buy It Now 1h 18m
The Housemartins(7" Vinyl)Caravan Of Love / When I First Met Jesus-VG/Ex US $4.13 Buy It Now 1h 19m
CARAVAN In the Land of Grey and Pink 40th Deluxe 2 CD & 1 DVD prog rock classic US $22.49 [0 bids]
1987 The Housemartins Caravan Of Love / When I First Met Jesus 45 rpm Elektra NM US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 50m
COZY COLE R&B Jazz Grand Award #1023 45rpm Caravan Parts 1 & 2 LISTEN US $18.00 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Haji Mike & Dub Caravan Virtual Oasis CD NEW (UK Import) US $14.55 Buy It Now 3h 24m
SPIRIT CARAVAN-LAST EMBRACE CD NEW US $15.12 Buy It Now 3h 51m
HUBERT EISDELL Tenor Where my caravan has rested 78 HMV B744 US $21.54 Buy It Now 4h 27m
INSPIRAL CARPETS - CARAVAN: 7" SINGLE (NEW) US $6.62 Buy It Now 4h 28m
DRIVER DRIVE FASTER.TO RETURN STATIC CARAVAN 7'' VINYL US $9.93 Buy It Now 4h 54m
WOODBINE & IVY BAND SPROATLY SMITH STATIC CARAVAN 7'' VINYL US $9.93 Buy It Now 5h
ISLEY JASPER ISLEY - Caravan Of Love / I Can't Get Over Losin You 12" Vinyl 1985 US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 2m
1971 Medicine Ball Caravan Soundtrack ROCK LP Warner BS-2565 NM Vinyl In Shrink US $4.80 Buy It Now 5h 4m
LUX HARMONIUM.THE BONES YOU BREAK.STATIC CARAVAN 7'' US $8.28 Buy It Now 5h 26m
Caravan of Light US $3.51 Buy It Now 5h 31m
CROSBY BOB - CAMEL CARAVAN - EBCD21592 US $16.15 Buy It Now 5h 37m
Spirit Caravan - Last Embrace [CD New] US $13.74 Buy It Now 5h 38m
7" 45 RPM GRAND AWARD RECORDS COZY COLE CARAVAN PTS I & II INSTRUMENTAL 50s NICE US $2.50 [0 bids]
Love Caravan love onthe road the moon, in bars, in Hawaii&Mexico, a porchswing US $6.00 [0 bids]
Caravan Palace Caravan Palace 2011 CD Electro Swing Music Album Brand New US $19.88 Buy It Now 5h 52m
Arkenstone, David Caravan of Light CD US $3.98 Buy It Now 6h 34m
SI ZENTNER- DESAFINADO-1963 LIBERTY JAZZ-CARAVAN- MIDNIGHT SUN-SPEAK LOW- M- !! US $9.00 [0 bids]
Jazz LP Art Blakey & Jazz Messengers "Caravan" Riverside RS 9438 US $7.99 [1 bids]
ELLINGTON duke 18hit big band A TRAIN caravan SOPHISTICATED LADY solitude NEW CD US $7.73 Buy It Now 7h 15m
CARAVAN For Girls Who Grow Plump In LP 1973 UK 1st Press STEREO DERAM SDL R 12 US $17.41 [6 bids]
Parov Stelar Coco Lilja Bloom Caravan Palace Adele Caravan Palace Kate Perry US $7.99 [0 bids]
Caravan Cunning Stunts Remaster CD Progressive Rock Music Album Brand New US $11.59 Buy It Now 7h 36m
Jeff Daniels 7" 45 HEAR Slipp'ry Heart CARAVAN Love of My Life US $10.00 Buy It Now 8h 3m
Man & Buffalo - Caravan New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $24.04 Buy It Now 8h 5m
Caravan For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night CD Rock Music Album Brand New US $11.59 Buy It Now 8h 7m
Austin TV CD Fontana Bella Camel Caravan Cantenbury Post Rock Prog Experimental US $10.99 [0 bids]
(LP) ''GLEN GRAY AND THE CASA LOMA ORCHESTRA / CASA LOMA CARAVAN / 1957 CAPITOL US $1.99 [0 bids]
Caravan/The Best Of Caravan (France) US $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 25m
JOE D'URSO & STONE CARAVAN - BEST: 1991 - BEST: 1991-2003 NEW CD US $20.82 Buy It Now 8h 28m
Dave Sinclair (Caravan)/Moon Over Man (Austria) US $21.99 Buy It Now 9h 3m
SLEEPING BEAUTY * CARAVAN RECORDS * C-9 * 78 RPM * MILTON CROSS * MADGE TUCKER * US $22.00 [0 bids]
Caravan/With An Ear To The Ground (UK) US $25.99 Buy It Now 9h 10m
Caravan/Songs & Signs (UK) US $25.99 Buy It Now 9h 12m
Pantera Far Beyond Driven 2 CD Metal Live Donington 1994 Planet Caravan Cowboys US $12.94 Buy It Now 9h 43m
Caravan If I Could Do It All Over Again LP vinyl record reissue sealed psych US $21.95 Buy It Now 9h 45m
CARAVAN & THE NEW SYMPHONIA stereo LP on LONDON PS650 1974 STILL IN SHRINK NM/M- US $17.99 Buy It Now 9h 46m
"Gospel Singing Caravan" 1960's Religious LP, VG, on Sing, Various Artists US $3.95 Buy It Now 10h
(61Y) The Winter Kings, Black Caravan - DJ CD US $4.96 Buy It Now 10h 52m
Caravan Waterloo Lily CD Progressive Rock Music Album Brand New US $11.59 Buy It Now 10h 58m
Swing 45 Caravan/ Big Bucks 7" vinyl rpm US $4.00 Buy It Now 10h 59m
Ultra Rare OOP Greenlight Caravan Mother Earth Revival CD Rock GLC2008 NR US $16.99 [0 bids]
Caravan Caravan & The New Symphonia The Complete Concert CD Rock Music US $11.59 Buy It Now 11h 46m
Caravan Island Series "SING OUT MY SOUL" Record 33 US $15.00 Buy It Now 11h 58m
Castaways(Bill Trader)"Caravan&Carol's Theme"Rare Garage Rock 45 Jim Dandy 1014 US $90.00 Buy It Now 11h 59m
SANTO & JOHNNY--CARAVAN / SUMMERTIME US $6.00 [0 bids]
12h
ISLEY JASPER ISLEY - Caravan Of Love/I Can't Get Over US $3.00 Buy It Now 12h 13m
THE HOUSEMARTINS - CARAVAN OF LOVE - PICTURE SLEEVE ONLY US $1.25 Buy It Now 12h 40m
Call, The / X / 10,000 Maniacs - Elektra Caravan 7" EP US $14.08 Buy It Now 12h 45m
CARAVAN Cunning Stunts 8 track tape 1975 BTM Original Progressive Rock US $8.88 Buy It Now 13h 15m
Cairo Caravan with Dina BellyDance with Dina CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 22m
CARAVAN - IN THE LAND OF GREY AND PINK (1971) SEALED JAPANESE CD POCD-1834 prog US $49.50 Buy It Now 13h 25m
JIMMY CARAVAN Look Into The Flower LP Tower ST 5103 (1968) with Bio and picture US $11.79 Buy It Now 13h 33m
Caravan - Live At Metropolis Studio - Vinyl 2-LP Import 2014 New US $43.99 Buy It Now 13h 51m
Mott the Hoople, Moody Blues, Spooky tooth, Caravan, Blue Cheer - U.K. cd US $9.72 Buy It Now 13h 54m
Live from Berbati's and Key Largo Gypsy Caravan CD US $12.95 Buy It Now 14h 4m
CARAVAN-Live JAPAN 1st.Press w/OBI Soft Machine King Crimson Pink Floyd Camel US $34.99 Buy It Now 14h 20m
CARAVAN-BBC Radio 1 Live In Concert JAPAN 1st.Press w/OBI Sticker Soft Machine US $39.99 Buy It Now 14h 20m
CARAVAN-Cool Water JAPAN 1st.Press Promo w/OBI Camel Soft Machine Pink Floyd US $39.99 Buy It Now 14h 20m
The Popular Duke Ellington by Duke Ellington CD 1997 Caravan Take the "A" Train US $22.00 Buy It Now 14h 27m
CAMEL-Never Let Go JAPAN 1st.Press w/OBI 2CD Caravan Pink Floyd Soft Machine US $59.99 Buy It Now 14h 41m
Gypsy Caravan Putumayo World Music 2001 CD Hungarian French Sza Tele Zsav US $8.97 Buy It Now 14h 46m
Marcia Blaine School For Girls "Pink Sticks/ We" 2003 Static Caravan 7" Single US $3.99 Buy It Now 14h 51m
GONG-Live On TV 1990 JAPAN 1st.Press w/OBI Pink Floyd Soft Machine Magma Caravan US $39.99 Buy It Now 15h 9m
ESQUIRE BOYS CARAVAN/ PRETTY DARK EYES 45 VINYL FRANSIL US $20.00 Buy It Now 15h 43m
BUDDY RICH - BLUES CARAVAN [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $10.86 Buy It Now 16h 16m
ROBIN TROWER - CARAVAN TO MIDNIGHT - CHRYSALIS CHR-1189 ORIG. CANADIAN PRESSING US $14.99 [0 bids]
PETER ULRICH COLLABO - THE PAINTED CARAVAN [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $9.43 Buy It Now 16h 32m
Elvenking - Two Tragedy Poets (And A Caravan Of Weir CD US $18.70 Buy It Now 16h 37m
Bhatt Vishwa Mohan & Glen Charles Halls - Groove Caravan CD US $13.87 Buy It Now 16h 42m
Blakey Art - Caravan Buhainas Delight Rmst CD US $16.35 Buy It Now 16h 42m
The Ventures 7" Mexican rare ps 196? on stage caravan 65 US $19.90 Buy It Now 17h 6m
The Ventures 7" Mexican rare ps 196? on stage caravan 65 US $9.90 Buy It Now 17h 6m
BOB CROSBY - CAMEL CARAVAN BROADCASTS 1940 - NEW CD US $11.50 Buy It Now 17h 15m
CARAVAN - "& The New Symphonia" (Live) LP 1974 ORIG 1st US PROMO w/INNER - RARE! US $24.88 Buy It Now 18h 35m
THE STRING A LONGS 45 16708 CARAVAN MATHILDA BLACK RARE SINGLE 7" INDIA VG US $374.25 Buy It Now 19h 39m
Durso Caravan - Best: 1991-2003 CD US $17.72 Buy It Now 20h 11m
Caravan/Renaissance 1975 The Dome, Brighton ticket stub US $14.93 Buy It Now 20h 16m
SANTO & JOHNNY - CARAVAN 7" VINYL US $12.42 Buy It Now 20h 27m
@ CD Caravan - With An Ear To The Ground RARE PROG / ELITE 1991 US $19.99 Buy It Now 20h 35m
CARAVAN-All Over You Too-CD-2000 HTD Records USA issue-CMAR 609 US $18.63 Buy It Now 20h 57m
Caravan - If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It All ... japan mini LP SHM CD US $26.99 Buy It Now 21h 8m
Art Blakey & And The Jazz Messengers - Caravan (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $34.81 Buy It Now 21h 48m
@ CD Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink PROG / DERAM DECCA RECORDS 1989 US $9.99 Buy It Now 22h 3m
@ CD Caravan - Cunning Stunts PROG / REPERTOIRE RECORDS 1994 US $12.99 Buy It Now 22h 3m
Spirit Caravan - Last Embrace CD US $15.76 Buy It Now 22h 15m
ART BLAKEY/THE JAZZ - CARAVAN [KEEPNEWS COLLECTION] - NEW CD US $6.26 Buy It Now 22h 30m
CARAVAN - IN THE LAND OF GREY AND PINK - NEW CD US $6.76 Buy It Now 22h 51m
Van Morrison Bumper Sticker! "Sweet Thing", astral weeks,into the music, caravan US $3.32 Buy It Now 23h 49m
Caravan - Himalaya Audio CD US $9.90 Buy It Now 1 day
Caravan - For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night - 8829802 US $10.96 Buy It Now 1 day
Oscarlima - Desert Caravan CD US $7.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Caravan - The Best of Caravan (CD) US $24.86 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy CARAVAN music online Buy CARAVAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CARAVAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CARAVAN Back to Front ratings distribution

CARAVAN Back to Front reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars this is from the original line-up and although better than its predecessor still a disappointment but the times would not allow them greater freedom. It seems the band enjoyed enough Videos , that this popped-up regularly in the 90's concert. Really a bunch of uninspired songs , but still one can hear somehow , how this was still Caravan. The opener and the final number are the better numbers on this album but the rest is rather unexciting.

This album had already been released on Cd but got a remastering (and probably a few bonus) on the Eclectic Label in late 2004

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#21426) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 02, 2004

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars SHOULD I COME BACK AND STAY ? WHAT FOR?

This is another existential question that the Sinclair cousins might have considered before rejoining "Caravan". Lots of hopes when you see the line-up. The original one, yes! But the least I can say, is that this album is not very much inspired.

Very pleasant vocals of course, some upbeat and pop songs ("Hold On", "Videos Of Hollywood"). Not bad but way off expectations. This reminds me more of the poor "Camel" of the late seventies (but both bands have profound links of course).

I have never been a great fan of the band but I have to say that they released very few bad albums so far (actually only one : "The Album") but to be honest, there is very little to retain from this one. A major deception if you considered the musicians involved here. The core of a band which created a style on their own. I have always been granted "Caravan" for this. But such an album won't add anything great to their fame.

Mellow mood with "Sally Don't Change It". Press next (but you could already have hit this key with "Videos)

This album is not very good. Might be OK when you listen to it abstractedly. But does "Caravan" music need to be listened to that way? I guess not. The finale of "All Abroad" is awful and disco oriented. And it is not the reggae-ish "Taken By Breath Away" that will convince you (nor myself). What the hell did happen to "Caravan"? Probably the same dreadful eighties syndrome.

I guess that the very few reviews for this album indicates sufficiently that it isn't really an essential album (even for die-hard fans).

Three out of ten (max) is the rate. Since it is still not possible on PA I will downgrade it to one star. A poor album indeed. Don't bother with this album.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#160657) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 03, 2008

Review by octopus-4
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
2 stars I took years, after the first spin, to find the courage to retry this album. When I have bought it in 1982 it was a total disappointment as I was expecting a lot from the original lineup of a band able to release to of my all time favorite albums: If I could.. and In the Land...

The first disappointing thing was the cover sheet. It's a clear remind to Escher with flowers turning into birds, but what does it have to do with the album?

"Back To Herne Bay Front" is not a bad track at all. It has lost the disco-funky mood of some songs of the previous "The Album", even if I really dislike the sound used by David Sinclair on the solo. It's jazzy and the bass and vocals are quite good.

What's now? " Bet you wanna take it all / Hold on hold on" an uptime glam-rock&roll song...no, I don't need anything like this. What's the sense of releasing a pop song that would have been good in 1970 while in 1982? It wouldn't have been a success in 1970 either. In the second half (or the second song) when it slows down is a bit better. Mel Collins plays a nice solo even on a trivial base.

I have controversial feelings about "A.A. Man". It features non-trivial passages, odd signatures and Richard's voice, but it doesn't do much for me. inserted in a different album would have been different. It could have been a good filler if part of a good disc.

"Videos Of Hollywood" is a song that seems taken from Camel's I Can See Your House From Here. Probably because of Richard's vocals. If only the guitar was played by Andy Latimer.... Also the sounds used by David Sinclair are similar to those used by Camel on that album. Add Mel Collins' sax and this is a "lost Camel's song".

"Sally Don't Change it " is on the same strings but almost without drums. It's Camel more than Caravan but without Latimer. I don't know where Pye Hastings is. He could have found room for good solos on songs of this kind, but there's very few guitar here.

"All Aboard" is nothing special, a pop Caravan song to let go in the background.

"Take My Breath Away" is in my opinion the poorest track of the album. I can't find a sense in this song. It seems survived from the disaster of The Album. Already heard and already discarded.

"Proper Job" starts similar to Nine Feet Underground. Of course it's just few seconds. It sounds like an attempt to return to the good moments and effectively there are moment in this closer that can remind to better moments. Add to this Mel's sax and the result is not that bad.

Back to Front is not totally back. Even if surely better than "The Album" (doing better wasn't a hard thing to do), it still doesn't deserve the third star, but apart of 3 weak songs all the rest is listenable and there are tracks of the old goodies.

2.5 stars

Send comments to octopus-4 (BETA) | Report this review (#427749) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars Better. But not by far

Caravan soldiered on during the early 80's with Back To Front, another entry in a series of weak albums from the group that began with Blind Dog At St. Dunstans. Back To Front is better than the previous The Album, but it is not better by far. The material is still uninspired, but at least here they again sound like Caravan. I find it a pleasant enough listen, but it fails to make an impact or leave any lasting impressions. After this album there would be a longer silence from the band and not until 1995 would they release another studio album. I think it was clear that they had come to the end of the line here. And like for most other classic progressive Rock bands, the 80's were not kind to them.

The song Videos Of Hollywood was previously familiar to me from Caravan's entry in the Classic Rock Legends video series. It is a rather simple Pop number, but at least it has a memorable melody and a characteristic lead vocal.

Back To Front is another Caravan album for fans and collectors

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#1130074) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 11, 2014

4 stars Caravan is back! And then I really mean it. "Back in front" from 1982 is the best Caravan album since 1975 and I would call it equal to "Girls..." and "Cunning...". What's so awesome here is that Richard Sinclair and Dave Sinclair are back. Although Caravan is amazing even without them, they w ... (read more)

Report this review (#1072767) | Posted by DrömmarenAdrian | Tuesday, November 05, 2013 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Before listening to this album I had my hopes up. After a couple of lousy albums (Better By Far & The Album) Caravan returned to their classical form with Richard Sinclair back. Maybe Back To Front isn't as bad as The Album (whose name is already a cry for help), still it remains at the bottom of th ... (read more)

Report this review (#344551) | Posted by BrainStillLife | Monday, December 06, 2010 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Ewwww. They should really put a warning label on hazardous music like this: "May induce intense bouts of frustration, disgust, nausea, vomiting, and thoughts of suicide." It's true the thoughts of either ending my life or the disk's life did cross my mind, after it being my aural displeasure of h ... (read more)

Report this review (#293883) | Posted by LionRocker | Monday, August 09, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars OK, granted, this isn't in the top flight of Caravan albums; but I think most Caravan fans will still appreciate this album. Especially with the welcome return of Robert Wyatt and Richard Sinclair to the line-up. AA Man and Proper Job make the album worth buying on their own. For me the low-p ... (read more)

Report this review (#164719) | Posted by AYoungErrol | Sunday, March 23, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A great comeback by a classic canterbury band. After the collapse of The Album lineup, the original quartet got back together and released an album with a more canterbury feel than anything since Cunning Stunts and with compositions better than anythin since Blind Dog at St. Dunstans. The Sincl ... (read more)

Report this review (#39374) | Posted by beterdedthnred4 | Wednesday, July 13, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CARAVAN "Back to Front "