DESTRUKTIVE ACTIONS AFFECT LIVINGS

Buy DAAL Music
Studio Album, released in 2011

1. Redroom (2:30)
2. AnarChrist (7:00)
3. Noises from an Interlude (2:07)
4. Level 6666 (5:20)
5. The Dance of the Drastic Navels Part II (16:35)
6. Cry-Hologenic (4:07)
7. Aglatarium (4:15)
8. Destruktive Actions Affect Livings (10:00)
9. Memories of Old Pictures (7:00)

Search DAAL Destruktive Actions Affect Livings lyrics

Search DAAL Destruktive Actions Affect Livings tabs

- Alfio Costa / grand piano, mellotron M400SM, Minimoog, Hammond organ, synthesizers and samplers
- Davide Guidoni / drums, percussion, samplers

- Salvo Lazzara (Pensiero Nomade) / oud
- Alessandro Papotto (Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso) / horns
- Bobo Aiolfi (Tilion, Prowlers) / bass

CD (2011)

Thanks to lulululku for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

DAAL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DAAL Destruktive Actions Affect Livings Music

Destruktive Actions Affect LivingsDestruktive Actions Affect Livings
Agla Records
DodecahedronDodecahedron
Agla Records

More places to buy DAAL music online Buy DAAL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DAAL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DAAL Destruktive Actions Affect Livings ratings distribution

DAAL Destruktive Actions Affect Livings reviews

Review by avestin
3 stars What a second listening can do.

Well of course, I've listened many more times than that, don't worry. What I'm referring to is that difference in my reaction to this album between the first and second listens. The first listening experience was one of slight bewilderment, surprise and slight uneasiness. I wasn't sure what to expect, but this was outside the range of possibilities I was considering. I wasn't impressed with what I heard. As a result I felt my relationship with this album is not headed towards a prosperous future. By the second listen, for some reason, I felt much more convenient with the music; all of a sudden it sounded much more pleasant, natural and smooth. I'm not sure why this happened, as I (almost) never disparage an album based on: 1) first listen and 2) expectations. I don't know why this album had the "misfortune" of getting the cold shoulder from me at first. It was unfair and misleading. Particularly as I grew fond of the album on the second listen; and in each further listen since. An album like this is really not one to try and gobble in one take and be done with it.

But who am I talking about? Who is Daal? Good question. Daal is the duo of Italian musicians: Davide Guidoni and Alfio Costa. Both are seasoned musicians who have worked with many other groups, particularly those in the progressive rock playground (Nuova Era, Taproban, The Far Side, Gallant Farm, Ozone Player, Tilion, Prowlers, Dark Sessions, Colossus Project). Davide is a drummer and Alfio is a keyboards player, but both employ a vast array of instruments that, upon listening to their music, will make you think you're listening to an extended lineup. Indeed, layers upon layers of sounds are laid on top the other, creating thick and rich textures. In this album they are joined by the following guest musicians: Riccardo Paltanin (electric fiddle), Guglielmo Mariotti (of The Watch; bass, vocals), Ettore Salati (of Soulengine; sitar), Salvo Lazzara (of Pensiero Nomade; oud), Alessandro Papotto (of Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso; horns) and Bobo Aiolfi (of Tilion and Prowlers; bass).

The album is mostly instrumental, made up of 9 tracks, one of which has vocals. The album contains spooky pieces, such as Anarchrist containing ominous sounding keyboards. Another beautiful and mysterious sounding composition is Level 6666 with subtle but creative drumming and a plethora of keyboards, both occasionally enhanced by a sitar.

On the other hand, you have Aglatarium, which starts out as a cool and calm jazzy tune with a nice fretless bass and a beautiful soprano sax solo (at least I think it's a soprano saxophone). Midway through the piece, there is a sharp short turn into electronic and psychedelic tainted pastures and a powerful climax lead by a saxophone (at least it sounds like one).

Some of the pieces on this album will help people uninitiated with hallucinatory effects of intoxicating agents, to understand effects of said chemicals (if any such people exist or still remain). By that I mean, there are some trippy moments on this album. Good trippy moments. Ones you wish to revisit and explore further. Among those trippy tracks are Destruktive Actions Affect Livings, Noises From An Interlude, Cry-Hologenic and the instrumental section of The Dance Of The Drastic Navels Part II. The duo creates an odd but appealing ambiance that is akin to being under the influence of a delirium-inducing substance. I also like a lot the Tangerine-Dream-esque influence in the middle of The Dance Of The Drastic Navels. The title track in particular is a trippy experience with tribal and processed percussions, electronic effects and wild sax soloing in the background (again, I'm not sure if it's a saxophone or not). This sounds like a maniacal period inside a patient's head (I should know). The apparent chaos and disorder here are coerced into an organized form that eventually coalesces into a structured and cohesive piece.

This album is one of those experience albums. An album I listen to for the ambiance, the peculiar sounds and moods it conjures and not so much for the melodies. In that aspect, I find it a successful release. Its wide range of styles and sound and its exploratory nature make it an experience I enjoy and want to come back to. For PA purposes: 3.5 stars

Send comments to avestin (BETA) | Report this review (#452419) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 26, 2011

Review by andrea
4 stars Daal's sophomore album, 'Destruktive Actions Affect Livings', was released in 2011 on the independent label Agla Records. Davide Guidoni and Alfio Costa went on with their musical project with the help of some prestigious guests such as Alessandro Papotto (sax), Guglielmo Mariotti (bass, vocals), Riccardo Pantanin (violin), Salvo Lazzara (guitar, oud), Bobo Aiolfi (fretless bass) and Ettore Salati (sitar). In my opinion this work marks a step forward for the duo. The result of their efforts is a well crafted and balanced mix of vintage sounds and sonic experiments but the experimentalism is never unfocused or invading.

The short, disquieting opener Redroom introduces the claustrophobic, tense 'AnarChrist', a piece dedicated to Giovanni Passannante, an Italian anarchist sentenced to death for a failed attack to the king of Italy Umberto I di Savoia in 1878. The death penalty was commuted into life imprisonment and Passannante served his time in very hard conditions in a dark, wet cell until his death. On the following track 'Noises from an Interlude' you can hear a sound of paces and a door opening. It's just a short introduction for the esoteric, almost mystic 'Level 6666', one of my favourite track on this album. Daal shot a video for this track providing evocative images for the music...

The long 'The Dance of the Drastic Navels Part II' is divided into six parts. It's the sequel of 'The Dance of the Drastic Navels Part I' on the previous album and begins softly with 'Awake'. The second section, 'Artificial Desire', features a dreamy vocal part sung in English... 'I'd like to be the wind / Caressing your face / Lost in your hair / I'd like to be fire... I'd like to be the blood inside you...'. Well, this story of sexual attraction between a man and a beautiful cybernetic-woman is rather strange. The music stirs your imagination and features many changes in mood and rhythm going on with 'Inside The Electronic Labyrinth', 'Ibridance', 'Flying To You' and 'The Oblivion'.

Next comes 'Cry-Hologenic' that begins with a delicate, dreamy piano pattern, then the dream turns into an ethereal mystic experience with ethnic instruments and synthesizers. The following 'Aglatarium' begins with a calm, jazzy mood then the rhythm rises for an unexpected finale. The long title track features an ethnic flavour and a good percussion work while the last track, the melancholic 'Memories of Old Pictures', is dedicated to the memory of a friend, Giuseppe Ottoni and features an intriguing spacey finale. The band shot a video for this piece as well...

All in all a very good album! By the way, Daal released in addition to the official edition, a limited edition featuring a box with a bonus CD that later became their third 'official' album, 'Echoes of the Falling Stars'.

Send comments to andrea (BETA) | Report this review (#837862) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 14, 2012

4 stars DAAL as many know by now consists of a couple of Prog veterans from Italy. The drummer Davide Guidone who i've heard playing with TAPROBAN and NUOVA ERA and keyboardist Alfio Costa who has played with TILION, PROWLERS and more are the brains behind this project. They have six guests helping out, some from bands they've played with in the past. I'd especially mention BANCO's horn player Alessandro Papotto and THE WATCH's bass player Guglielmo Mariotti who also sings although this album is primarily all-instrumental.

"Redroom" opens with the sound of thunder and a transmission of some sort as it turns haunting. A short but very good track. "AnarChrist" opens with some urgency as it builds. I like this ! The organ joins in. It settles back around 2 minutes but it kicks back in. I like when the guitar comes in. Man I love this track. Check out the spacey calm 5 minutes in to the end. So good. Next up is "Noises From An Interlude" where we get some atmosphere with various sounds coming and going. It opens and closes with the sounds of footsteps. "Level 6666" is kind of dark and atmospheric with piano, drums and organ standing out. "The Dance Of The Drastic Navels Part II" is the longest track at 16 1/2 minutes and has laid back vocals in it at the start. I like the mellotron early on. I like it better when the vocals stop and the music sort of drifts along. Sounds like electronics before 11 minutes. The electric fiddle comes in and leads then it settles back again. It ends in a mellow manner.

"Cry-Hologenic" opens with piano before the atmosphere takes over. A baby cries 2 minutes in as the atmosphere and percussion continue. Spacey stuff. "Aglatarium" is where we get a Jazzy vibe with the prominant sax and piano as the bass and drums help out. A change 3 1/2 minutes in as synths and a beat take over. Cool sound here. The sax is back late. "Destructive Actions Affect Livings" is where I believe the band's name came from. It's minimalstic early on with electronics, xylophone-like sounds and the sound of the wind blowing. Percussion comes in. A change 4 1/2 minutes in as relaxed horns and percussion take over. Some intensity a minute later as electronics standout and more. Synths and beat lead 8 minutes in along with other sounds.Electronics ends it. "Memories Of Old Pictures" opens with piano but it slowly builds as atmosphere and soprano sax join in. It turns haunting after 3 minutes. Electronics kick in with a beat 4 minutes in. Piano and atmosphere end it.

I have lots of albums that just don't work as background music, in other words they demand my full attention to be appreciated and this is one of them. It wasn't until I listened to this with headphones on that I got lost in the wonder of it all.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#875210) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars

This second chapter in the Daal saga has some of the same wonderful electronic- drenched creativity found on the debut, but does also follow a more soundtrack-ish route that is not always that successful on first listen, requiring a deeper sense of exploration. . So let's be somewhat original for a change and go straight to the absolute winners here: It all starts quite promisingly after the initial obscure intro by blasting forward with a heavy tune: "Anarchrist" (bold title) is a hard-assed slab of molten synths and propulsive drums, highly forceful and utterly remorseless. The main melody can be perceived as scary, lugubrious and nightmarish with a stubborn woo-woo synthesizer patch that is lethal, like flickering phosphorescent paintballs in the night sky, gigantic mellotron swells blowing hard wind , all conspiring to twirl one's ears sideways and delectably so. The foreboding doomsday qualities verge on psychosis, like a hard psychedelia with heavy metal leanings. Pounding and swooning at the same time. Hmmm! Something even synth guru John Foxx would come up with (that's a colossal compliment by the way). Raw, manic, slightly deranged and frantic, this is pure modern proggy bliss.

"Level 6666" even dares to venture into sitar-laden Eastern swirls, piano clanging, all- encompassing synths and the authoritative drumming all combine to treat the ears like a fine mistress. Serving up sizzling sensations, ethereal covenants with mood and shadow, whilst pruning sonic overkill and staying the course.

"The Dance of the Drastic Navels Part 2" continues the Part1 found on the "Disorganocorigami", a symphonic cacophony with mind-bending rules, extremely dissonant and chaotic, drenched in absolute weirdness and remorseless misdirected confusion. The lysergic qualities can be scary and frightening to the uninitiated but at least its not overt technical bragging that subverts so many progressive "we want to be cool" releases! A nearly 17 minute magic mushroom carpet ride into the ether! The two-sided "Aglatarium" is in the same vein just jazzier, with a wobbly bass rendering and an unexpected saxophone wail, extremely pleasant and then unchallenged, swerving into dense electronica forever so briefly and then just dying serenely. Darn good! The disc ends with the remarkable "Memories of Old Pictures" a piece showcasing the deep progressive roots of the RPI school, ornate elegance, piano and flute in loving embrace. A sultry clarinet adds that Italian spice just at the right moment, deeply poetic and achingly distressing. The film noir mood entirely fascinating! The slow paced morphology into a pulsating electro beat is resolute and defining, signaling a sense of sensorial bewilderment and light paranoia.

Some of the less evident tracks are not to be viewed negatively; they are just a tad more experimental and therefore progressing along their natural path. .

"Noises from an Interlude" is exactly that! A slight sense of filler but at least its brief! "Cry-Hologenic" begins oddly with gentle piano and odd vocal sonics, like some outtake from a sci-fi movie, sweeping hushes and trembling percussives, baby crying in the background, hallucinatory thrills, extremely psychotic and bizarre.

The title track and perhaps band moniker (DAAL) prefers another uncanny adventure into experimentation, this time the xylophone being the main vehicle, supported by gale-storm howls and loads of otherworldly effects , mostly of a percussive nature, as Davide seems to be inspired by Jamie Muir (KC's loony percussor) as he slams every object in sight. This momentous clash between modern computerized sounds and tribal trappings is quite unique and ultimately inspiring. Vibrant and far from minimalistic, there is always some kind of mania set loose (zipping Moog loops, solid drum beats and anguished saxophone blurts)

Easily a proper companion of glorious proportions, Daal constitutes the top echelon of the current Italian scene. Do not miss out on the successful tracks; these are snarly rebellious, conservative odd, sonically concise, utterly crafty and ultimately stellar.

4.5 Moodswings

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#881775) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Review by Windhawk
5 stars Italian duo DAAL was formed back in 2008 by Davide Guidoni (drums) and Alfio Costa (keyboards), with the latter the main person as far as crafting material goes. They've contributed to a number of thematic albums instigated by the Finnish Colossus organization, and from 2009 and onwards they have steadily released studio albums as well. "Destruktive Actions Affect Livings" from 2011 is their third album.

Daal's 2011 CD "Destruktive Actions Affect Livings" comes across as something of a smorgasbord of compositions and constructions that utilize electronic and rhythms to give sound and life to a cold, alien futuristic landscape with occasional traces of human warmth. Those fond of sophisticated electronic music will find a lot to enjoy on this production, and if you have a taste for subtler effects carefully employed in elongated pieces of a mostly ambient nature as well I'd expect you to love this CD from the moment it sets off until the final notes wheeze out at the end. But a highly recommended disc it is anyhow, as long as you have an interest in adventurous progressive electronic music.

Send comments to Windhawk (BETA) | Report this review (#962338) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 19, 2013

Review by Aussie-Byrd-Brother
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
4 stars One look at the fascinating and ominous computer illustrated sci-fi cover of Daal's second album `Destruktive Actions Affect Livings' should instantly tip listeners off that this work will be one for the fans of darker music! That's mostly true, but there's a lot more going on here than that. What makes the duo of Alfio Costa and Davide Guidoni so interesting is that beneath cold electronics and murky atmospheres, they incorporate elements of ambient music, psy-trance, gothic, classical and even brief touches of proper Italian prog and jazz to fascinating results. It's an album of beautiful contrasts, seamlessly moving back and forth between light and dark passages, eerie ambience, brooding heaviness and sedate thoughtful movements. Although I'm yet to work out if it's a proper concept album or not, most of the music flows together, one track blending with another. It's like the listener is moving through a futuristic apocalyptic world, or trying to escape a sinister scientific lab or haunted house, and each piece is a different room, a different encounter to escape through to gain your freedom and glimpse just a trace of hope on the other side.

`Redroom' makes for a haunting opening, fragmented radio transmissions and distorted electronics blur into an almost metallic droning ambience. The Mellotron fuelled `Anarchrist' sounds like Steven Wilson jamming throughout the darkest King Crimson moments, a brooding and impossibly morose slab of psy-trance with plodding bass, manic drumming, a straining guitar solo near the end and tip-toeing ghostly piano majesty to end on. The unpleasant and fascinating soundscape `Music from an Interlude' could almost have been taken from an album by fellow Italian band Antonius Rex, full of stomping footsteps and creaking doors over crashing cymbals, harsh thick electronics and a maddening electronic pulse. `Level 6666' features sweeping and confident classical piano over regal Mellotron in the manner of the vintage Italian progressive bands, and I love that while you're sinking to deep depths below with the unnerving gothic atmosphere, it also takes you to spiritual and hypnotic highs with use of a sitar.

The almost 17 minute absurdly titled `Dance of the Drastic Navals pt 2', a continuation of a piece from the debut album, maintains a maddening build-up of suffocating unease and unnerving intensity throughout. The only track to feature a proper vocal, Guglielmo's Mariotti's voice takes on a pleading and sadly romantic quality, with just a hint of obsession and unease - "I'd like to be the wind, lost in your hair, I'd be like fire. I'd like to be the blood inside you..." - so full of clawing lust and sweet desire. The music around it is a mix of creeping 70's Pink Floyd intensity (just listen to the glistening organ and booming cymbals straight off `Ummagumma' in the middle!), droning liquid ambience, intimidating electronic oscillations and a glorious, almost joyful violin/piano led finale. Simply beautiful.

The nightmarish `Cry Hologenic' is a fragile piano piece interspersed with very harsh cutting electronic drones. `Aglatarium' begins as a mostly downbeat jazzy piano and sax piece before dissolving into a psychedelic keyboard breakdown, and it would have sounded right at home on any of the daring Italian prog album of the 70's. The ten minute title track blends purring deeply ambient Tangerine Dream-like electronics, gentle programmed beats and faraway frantic sax with all sorts of daring RIO/Avant-garde experimentation. With a title like `Memories of Old Pictures', it's not surprising to find the album closer is a reflective and somber piece, full of lonely sax, piano and gloomy Mellotron with a chilling and howling electronic climax. The piece perfectly shows that despite the level of cold electronics the band frequently surrounds themselves with, they never lose touch of their humanity, actually something they balance perfectly throughout the entire album.

`Destruktive Actions Affects Livings' works beautifully as both a background listen and one worthy of your full listening attention, where you'll discover all sorts of rich subtleties and hidden secrets. Daal have a very unique interpretation of progressive rock, one that incorporates a wide range of influences without ever resorting to anything resembling clichés or imitation. It's a very modern sounding album that still respects progressive rock of the past while always moving forwards, and fans of electronic invention, heavy or gothic music and maybe even the more experimental Italian progressive artists will find much to enjoy here.

Four stars.

Send comments to Aussie-Byrd-Brother (BETA) | Report this review (#1088320) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 10, 2013

5 stars The music is a composition of strong emotions, especially if you appreciate Progressive Rock, the genre in which the artist feels free and "naked" in experiencing their feelings into sounds. There is one who rides the genre on the waves of others' success, remaining tight to certain stereotype ... (read more)

Report this review (#1174569) | Posted by tatoosha | Monday, May 12, 2014 | Review Permanlink

4 stars At least, DAAL got away from the rather "claustrophobic", Rock Progressivo Italiano, tagging. No singing in italian, to send them down there, this perfect match between "hungry like" electronic performances and nearly early baroque musical figures, so well fusioned together, without becoming pre ... (read more)

Report this review (#1089153) | Posted by admireArt | Thursday, December 12, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DAAL "Destruktive Actions Affect Livings"