EGE BAMYASI

- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards
- Damo Suzuki / vocals

Spoon - Music - Gema LC 7395

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Ege Bamyasi Music

Tago MagoTago Mago
Future DaysFuture Days
Remastered
Ege BamyasiEge Bamyasi
Mute U.S. 2008
GENESIS # WE CAN,T DANCE # ORIGINAL 1991 CASSETTE TAPE # US $4.41 Buy It Now 31m 2s
I Can Dream , Can't I ? by The Andrews Sisters. 1937 Sheet Music US $6.00 [0 bids]
34m 28s
Van Der Graaf Generator - The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other 180G LP NEW US $17.00 Buy It Now 34m 43s
The Cleftones 45 "Can't We Be Sweethearts" / The Harptones "Cry Like I Cried" US $5.99 [0 bids]
36m 2s
(Epic) CLAUDJA BARRY "Can't You Feel My Heartbeat" HOUSE dj vinyl US $7.99 Buy It Now 37m 57s
1988 Youth Of Today Cassette Can't Close My Eyes Danbury CT Hardcore Punk US $8.50 [2 bids]
37m 59s
Steely Dan "Can't Buy a Thrill" 1972 ABCX 758 US $9.99 [0 bids]
38m 28s
Raven Wildroot & Granby St. Redevelopment Can't Take It No More 7" 45 Funk Rare US $132.00 Buy It Now 39m 45s
4-TRACK CARTIRIDGE COWSILLS WE CAN FLY US $2.50 [0 bids]
39m 49s
I Can't Wait To Touch The Hills Of Home. Charlie Adams.Portsmouth Ohio US $24.99 Buy It Now 40m 3s
Recloose - Can't Take It - Planet E - 2000 #44234 US $8.31 Buy It Now 40m 25s
Pet Shop Boys - Can You Forgive Her - Parlophone #978 US $8.31 Buy It Now 40m 38s
LITTLE JUNIOR PARKER--HOW LONG CAN THIS GO ON (R&B/Soul) US $18.00 Buy It Now 40m 58s
Firesign Theatre, The- How Can You Be In Two Places At Once When You're Not Anyw US $7.00 [0 bids]
42m 13s
Firesign Theatre?-How Can You Be In Two Places At Once When You're Not Anywhere US $7.00 [0 bids]
42m 28s
Survivor "I Can't Hold Back" Picture Sleeve & 45 Record 1980's Music US $4.99 [0 bids]
42m 50s
REO "Can't Fight This Feeling" Picture Sleeve & 45 Record 1980's Music US $4.99 [0 bids]
42m 59s
Elton John "Mama Can't Buy You Love" Picture Sleeve & 45 Record 1980's Music US $4.99 [0 bids]
43m 13s
Michael Jackson "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" Picture Sleeve US $4.99 [0 bids]
43m 15s
Barry White LP Can't Get Enough Vintage 1974 US $4.99 [0 bids]
43m 33s
Journey "Girl Can't Help It" Picture Sleeve & 45 Record 1980's Music US $4.99 [0 bids]
43m 35s
OTIS CLAY: I Can't Take It LP (co) Soul US $15.00 Buy It Now 43m 44s
(BV701) Skandi Girls, Do The Can Can - 2004 CD US $4.58 Buy It Now 44m 2s
YOUTH OF TODAY - CAN'T CLOSE MY EYES LP BLUE VINYL GORILLA BISCUITS US $13.00 Buy It Now 44m 9s
Herman's Hermits-Can't You Hear My Heartbeat-British Invasion-45 single-Ex.Cond. US $0.99 [1 bids]
44m 10s
PRESSURE: Can You Feel It / Same (soul vinyl 45) dj US $10.00 Buy It Now 45m 52s
THE CURE "Why Can't I Be You? / A Japanese Dream" 1987 ELEKTRA 45 Sleeve/Record US $15.00 Buy It Now 46m 9s
BILLY SWAN I Can Help M- 45 RPM REISSUE US $3.00 Buy It Now 47m 4s
Praise Hymn Soundtracks Accompaniment CD - Can't Live A Day US $5.99 [0 bids]
48m 4s
78RPM Victor 22034 Rudy Vallee, Baby Oh Where Can U Be/UR Just Another Memory V+ US $14.95 Buy It Now 48m 13s
Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? by The Cranberries (CD,... US $2.25 [0 bids]
49m 15s
joe walsh lp live-you can't argue with a sick man w/inner vg+/m- US $5.99 Buy It Now 49m 45s
Leo Sayer; More Than I Can Say on 45 US $3.19 Buy It Now 50m 17s
BARBARA BROWN: A Great Big Thing / Can't Find No Happiness 45 Soul US $18.00 Buy It Now 50m 21s
"CAN-CAN" COLE PORTER ORIG CAST LP 1953 MONO LILO US $10.99 Buy It Now 51m 25s
Dionne Warwick: Luther Vandross: How many times can we 7" 45rpm vinyl record 3c US $1.00 Buy It Now 52m 12s
Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill ** 1998 EU CD** Excellent Condition, Remastered US $9.31 Buy It Now 52m 19s
2 Brothers On The 4th Floor ?- Can't Help Myself Lot# 1043 US $2.01 Buy It Now 53m 31s
Why Can't We Be Sweethearts (Once Again) by Morton Downey 1931 Sheet Music US $6.00 [0 bids]
53m 48s
VELOURS, THE--CAN I COME OVER TONIGHT (Doo-Wop) US $48.00 Buy It Now 54m 6s
REGGIE SADDLER, JANICE & JAMMERS: I Can't Account For My Actions / Mono US $20.00 Buy It Now 54m 13s
Rare Canada Garage Rock 45 : The Townsmen ~ Funny How Love Can Be ~ Regency 970 US $30.00 [0 bids]
54m 22s
Rare Disco Soul 12" B. T. Brenda Taylor ~ You Can't Have Your Cake US $40.00 [0 bids]
54m 22s
Eric Kaz - Good As It Can Be B/W Good As It Can Be (mono) promo 45 US $14.00 Buy It Now 55m 48s
RAINBOW Jealous Lover / Weiss Heim / Can't Happen Here / I Surrender (cassette) US $9.99 [0 bids]
56m 24s
I'm Glad I Can Make You Cry by Harry Tenney Sheet Music1918 Gus Hill's Minstrels US $7.50 [0 bids]
56m 49s
DAVID BOWIE @@ GOLDEN YEARS/CAN YOU HEAR ME @@ RARE GERMAN PRESS ONLY US $49.99 Buy It Now 56m 55s
(AM:PM) MONE "We Can Make It" 1995 HOUSE dj vinyl Listen!! US $9.99 Buy It Now 57m 10s
Dan Hartman- I Can Dream About You- new/sealed cassette tape US $4.00 Buy It Now 57m 17s
All That You Can't Leave Behind by U2 (CD, Oct-2000, Interscope (USA)) US $2.99 [0 bids]
57m 34s
MIGHTY DIAMONDS Grandma / Version "can't make rent" JAMAICAN BAD GONG rare 7" US $20.43 [0 bids]
57m 51s
Blues 45 Can A White Boy Play The Blues Frank Salvato Neckbone Records #62591 US $4.99 [0 bids]
58m 22s
Dan Hartman 45 "I Can Dream About You" / Terri Gibbs "Rocky Top" US $5.99 [0 bids]
58m 23s
MICHAEL BOLTON CAN I TOUCH YOU ... THERE PROMO SINGLE CD 2 VERSIONS US $2.99 [0 bids]
59m 15s
O SAY CAN YOU SEE! Orig. Cast Recording MINT SEALED LP Jack Holmes Bill Conklin US $14.99 Buy It Now 59m 18s
FRANK FROEBA ORCH SHADED DECCA NOTHING CAN STOP ME NOW/ DONT SAVE YOUR LOVE E+ US $6.00 [0 bids]
59m 26s
Nat Stuckey If There's No Other Way / My Can Do Can't Keep Up 7" 45 rpm VG+ US $3.85 Buy It Now 59m 59s
GERMAN ORIGINAL LP POPOL VUH / EINSJAGER & SIEBENJAGER Free Shipping CAN NEU US $120.00 Buy It Now 1h
GER LP THIS IS AMON DUUL GURUGURU CAN Free Shipping US $68.00 Buy It Now 1h
CONRAD SCHNITZLER / The 80's Works Box-set -CAN NEU! CLUSTER US $85.00 Buy It Now 1h
ONE HUNDRED DOLLAR BILL: Can't Get You Out Of My Mind / I Feel Funky 45 (sl sto US $150.00 Buy It Now 1h
Unknown Artist I CAN DO IT! Positive Self Esteem Songs CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h
33 RPM Columbia Records, near mint, Winston Churchhill - LP - I Can Hear It Now US $15.00 [0 bids]
1h
it can happen (edited version) / same (live version) 45 rpm single.YES.Vinyl.Ver US $13.49 Buy It Now 1h
Can't Fight Fate by Taylor Dayne (CD, Oct-1989, Arista) US $0.99 [0 bids]
James Pastell I Can Heal/Disco Pistol 45 RPM US $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Original 45, Dean Martin, On an Evening in Roma and You Can't Love Em' All US $3.00 [0 bids]
Pete Seeger in Concert- I CAN SEE A NEW DAY CS 9057 LP US $19.95 Buy It Now 1h 9m
The Fidelitys-Memories Of You/Can't you come out-Baton 256 Mint US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Dick James "Nature Boy" b/w "You Can't Be True, Dear" 10" 78 rpm RCA Victor US $4.26 [0 bids]
Can I Shine? [PA] by Sean T (CD, Oct-2001, Asphalt Music Group) US $0.99 [0 bids]
CIRCUIT II Can't Tempt Fate Elektra LP 1985 Essential Electronic Advance Copy US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 10m
NEW - Can't Get Enough Pt.1 US $3.19 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Suzee Ikeda 7" 45 I Can't Give Back The Love SOUL HEAR PROMO MOWEST 1967 US $40.00 Buy It Now 1h 11m
NEW - Can't Get Enough Pt. 3 US $4.98 Buy It Now 1h 11m
WAYNE NEWTON Can't You Hear The Song ? CHE-1003 LP AD7078 US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 13m
NORTHERN SOUL 45~RONNIE TAYLOR~I CAN'T TAKE IT / WITHOUT LOVE~HEAR US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 14m
MOUTHPIECE - CAN'T KILL WHAT'S INSIDE: THE COMPLETE DISCOGRAPHY LP GREEN VINYL US $13.00 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Don Henley - I Can't Stand Still - LP Record US $3.99 [0 bids]
Hooked On Classics 2- Can't Stop The Classics- Louis Clark Conducting Royal Phil US $7.00 [0 bids]
1987 Madonna ?- You Can Dance LP Comp Sire ?- W1 25535 SEALED Partially Mixed US $18.25 [0 bids]
Can-I-Bus [PA] by Canibus (CD, Sep-2000, Universal Distribution) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Michael Jackson 45 Billie Jean/Can't Get Outta The Rain Epic Records 1982 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Don Johnson 45 Can't Take Your Memory/Heartbeat Epic Records 1986 #34-06285 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Can't Stop Me * by Carl Sims (CD, Nov-2007, Ecko Records) US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Men At Work Vinyl lot (Who Can it be Now?;It's a Mistake;Business as Usual;Cargo US $30.00 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Darlene Austin - No Man's Girl / Til I Can't Take it Anymore Pepper 446 PROMO US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Rocksteady Reggae LP: John Holt ~ A Love I Can Feel ~ Studio 1 US $40.00 [0 bids]
EX OG Promo Blues LP: John Hammond ~ I Can Tell ~ Atlantic 8152 Mono US $40.00 [0 bids]
Phil Collins 7" 45 HEAR RARE LABEL ERROR PRESSING You Can't Hurry Love GENESIS US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Nathan Salsburg Hard for to Win and Can't Be Won LP sealed vinyl mp3 download US $15.98 Buy It Now 1h 19m
45 rpm-James & Bobby Purify-I Was Born to Lose Out/ I Can Remember-Bell 721 US $1.95 [0 bids]
COWBOY COPAS - Alabam / I Can - 1960 SPARTON 45 CANADA PRESSING US $4.95 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Escape Club (Wild, Wild West) We Can Run Atlantic Records 89048 45 rpm US $7.95 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Can't Take Me Home by P!nk (CD, Apr-2000) US $0.50 [0 bids]
Shanice Wilson 45 (Baby Tell Me)Can You Dance/Summer Love Am Records #AM_2939 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
(DM84) M Craft, I Can See It All Tonight - 2003 CD US $10.15 Buy It Now 1h 21m
THE VELOURS-CAN I COME OVER TONIGHT / WHERE THERE'S A WILL-ONYX-45 US $9.95 [0 bids]
DIONNE WARWICK "NM WAX" How Many Times Can We Say 25RS-204 OBI LP Ad2116 US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
JOE WALSH "NM WAX" You Can't Argue WIth A Sick Mind YX-8020-AB LP Ad8051 US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Ege Bamyasi ratings distribution

CAN Ege Bamyasi reviews

Review by corbet
4 stars When I haven't listened to this one in a while, it begins to take a back seat in my mind compared to CAN's masterworks: Future Days, Tago Mago, even Landed ("Vernal Equinox"). Then I give it a spin, and it kills me, and I swear I'll never forget again. But, it keeps happening, and will probably always keep happening... so, because I just listened to it: Ege Bamyasi is amazing! "Vitamin C" has one of my favorite drum beats of all time. Jaki Liebezeit is one-of-a-kind on drums: his patterns breathe and flow like living organisms. No one has the feel of this guy. "One More Night" is the most chilled-out, grooving piece of music CAN ever recorded; "Pinch" is full of fluttering drums and sound effects and reminds me at times of classic 70's Miles Davis "fusion." "Sing Swan Song" is beautiful, almost a ballad by CAN's standards; "Soup" has THE MOST obnoxious (in a good way!) CAN moment ever: halfway through the song, everything drops out and some strange sound begins screaming at you through your speakers, making you lose your appetite and damaging your pets' hearing. Then, while the band is farting around on their instruments, Damo Suzuki begins spouting gibberish on top in some made-up language. Absolutely sublime, if you ask me. (Some people, or their wives, will detest it.)

Send comments to corbet (BETA) | Report this review (#23246) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 06, 2004

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars This used to be my favourite before re-listenig the Can albums before making those reviews. I say used to be because I think Tago Mago is superior but by no means is this album not great in its own right. But be careful not to be playing to this as you try to get into the pants of this girl you've been trying to seduce because she will flee and you will hate this album. In other words , this is not to be put in any kind of ears but for those willing to venture into adventure ; one word: WELCOME.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#23247) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Review by loserboy
4 stars "Ege Bamyasi" is one of my personal favorite industrial-psyche beat albums of all time, delivering droned out dreamy cosmic tunes of the highest calibre. One listen and you will be hooked my friends to the infectious grooves that they get into on this album. In particular Jaki Liebezeit's percussive strokes stand out in positive light with a never ending array of ethnic beats. One of my all time favorite CAN tunes "Pinch" opens up this album with stunning mix of ethnic beats and cosmic progressive space rock. "Ege Bamyasi" is slightly less bizarre in approach than some of their other recordings, yet still contains all of their patented freaked out attitude. In many ways I get a strong PINK FLOYD/AMON DUUL feeling throughout this album depending on whether we are of course in a cosmic moment or fuzzed spaced out jam. Once again in classic CAN style we are treated to a royal mix of musical tones and colors throughout. "Ege Bamyasi" is a treasured album in my collection and seems to be the perfect Sunday morning musical treat.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#23248) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Review by Proghead
4 stars To me, "Ege Bamyasi" doesn't quite live up to "Tago Mago". Simply because two of the songs I never could seem to warm up to, "Pinch" and "Vitamin C" (which I found a bit overrated). But the rest of the album is great, such as the psychedelic "Sing Swan Song", the KRAFTWERK-like "One More Night", and the quirky "I'm So Green". "Soup", like "Aumgn" and "Peking O" off their previous album, is another love it or hate it, but since I have no problem with the more radical moments of "Tago Mago", I have no problem with "Soup", which, in many ways, is similar to "Peking O", especially with Damo Suzuki's shrieking and mindless babbling. "Spoon" was originally released as a single at the end of 1971, which demonstrates that band could rack up a hit (at least in Germany) and still make it sound great.

On this album, there's a slight Middle Eastern influence, no doubt for the fact they named their album after a can of Okra they found in a Turkish restaraunt in Germany. But one with the two songs I'm not too keen on, "Soup" and "Vitamin C". To these, they seem a little too much like percussion exercises for drummer Jaki Liebezeit, and "Vitamin C" almost seems a bit clichéd (in CAN fashion, of course), and they make me wish for a little more music. To me, "Tago Mago" and "Future Days" are better albums, but this album is still packed with great stuff as well.

Send comments to Proghead (BETA) | Report this review (#23249) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 29, 2004

Review by Neu!mann
4 stars Album number three by the Krautrock pioneers of CAN is sometimes lost in the long shadow cast by the towering edifice of "Tago Mago" (their groundbreaking 1971 double-disc), but in retrospect it may well be the quintessential CAN recording from their influential formative years. The music is no less challenging or confrontational than it was on the earlier album, but distills the almost overwhelming 80-minute barrage of sound from "Tago Mago" to a much easier to digest single LP's worth of equally astonishing creativity.

"Ege Bamyasi" has everything the neophyte listener needs to understand why CAN was such a musical force. It's all here: the rhythmically busy, near paranormal jamming; the quieter, more hypnotic ballads ("Sing Swan Song", with Holger Czukay's trademark two- note bass vibrations); a couple of typically skewed pop songs (one of them, "Spoon", a minor hit in their native country); and another classic CAN freak-out, abbreviated here to a manageable fraction of their earlier side-long experiments.

CAN was a band of restless musical adventurers who rarely traveled with a map, and as usual they cover a lot of territory here. It's hard to believe the same group responsible for the swinging, near free-form nine-minute album opener "Pinch" could, just two tracks later, tighten their ranks so drastically for the controlled 7/8 discipline of "One More Night" (and still make it soar, in a spasmodic KRAFTWERK-like way).

It would be hard to single out the efforts of any one player from such an organically fused unit, especially in a band so totally lacking in rock star egos, clichés, and conceits. No virtuoso head trips here: individual skill meant nothing to CAN if it didn't advance the group agenda.

But as an ex-garage band drummer I can't pass up an opportunity to champion Jaki Liebezeit, no less a world-class talent than his bandmates, but the one whose signature rhythms gave the CAN sound its irresistible drive. Listen to his subtle, pinpoint percussion fills on "Sing Swan Song" (in the middle section, under Michael Karoli's bagpipe-guitar sustains), or his nimble, non-stop snare and tom workout during "Vitamin C". What you're hearing is the difference between a dedicated musician and a common rock 'n' roll showman.

Now multiply that difference by a factor of five, once for each member of the band. That's the CAN equation.

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#40321) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 25, 2005

Review by Seyo
4 stars The fourth CAN album is another excellent addition to a collection of progressive rock. Schmidt's keyboards and synth are more present here than on the earlier albums while the production seems more polished than before. Highlights are "Sing Swan Song", "One More Night" and "Vitamin C", while "Soup" contains many unnecessary noisy moments making it a track to skip over when listening. For some reason though, I am always left a bit "hungry" after "eating" this album. Perhaps the "bamya" from the cover image (Turkish word for "okra", green pods usually cooked with soups in many South-East European/Middle-East cuisines) is leaving a bad taste in my ears, because in reality it is not my favorite food addition. Still recommended as a wonderfully produced semi- concept album dealing with canned food.

Send comments to Seyo (BETA) | Report this review (#59124) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 04, 2005

4 stars This one seems like a simpler, bare bones affair compared to "Tago Mago". The experimental, psychedelic outbreaks are all but gone except for the latter part of "Soup". This one has shorter songs that are for the most part driven and led by the drums and percussion. You could imagine that this was the inspiration for Trance / Dance music with the hypnotic beats and often stoned-like vocals. Actually his vocals remind me of Thom Yorke at times, and when he yells the lyrics he sounds more like Mick Jagger. He has a few different vocal styles, even bringing to mind Christian Vander of MAGMA.

"Pinch" has such a great beat as vocals (Mick-like) enter. The drums, percussion and vocals dominate this one. It's hard not to move with it's funky rhythm. "Sing Swan Song" opens with the sound of running water. This one is more laid back and ambient with Yorke- like vocals. Some farfisa keys come and go. "One More Night" has an intoxicating beat with guitar adding to the sound.

"Vitamin C" has some very impressive percussion sounds. Organ after 2 minutes. Some weird spacey sounds to end it that also blend into the beginning of "Soup". This song really kicks in 1 1/2 minutes in with pounding drums and loud vocals. From the 6 minute mark to the end we get an experimental, crazy section with even Vander -like vocals. "I'm So Green" is another toe tapper that is all about the beat and the vocals. "Spoon" was released previous to this album as a single, and it did very well in Germany. It is quite catchy and a good way to end the album.

So this is an accessible recording that is still CAN all the way. Not as good as "Tago Mago" or their early stuff in my opinion but a must for CAN fans.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#141371) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 01, 2007

Review by Rivertree
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Psych/Space Team & Band Submissions
4 stars Eating Okraschoten you're not losing your Vitamin C for sure ...

'Ege Bamyasi' is an excellent album. First of all Jaki Liebezeit's great percussion work is remarkable. This production is very groovy in a special mood. All the musicians are able to demonstrate their talent and variety here. Suzuki's vocals are exemplary for that - often improvised spoken word like, very unique, so he acts as a singer and also as a performer.

Pinch is dynamic pure. Compelling drums/percussion and a minimalistic bass are supplying the necessary groove. A very compact jam song without any solo activities and some spacy floydy elements. One More Night seems to be the birth of TripHop and Vitamin C contains wonderful keyboards and a catchy refrain. Soup is breathtaking crazy, controversial, surprising with a jazzy bass line in the middle and undefinable vocals - or is it Kobaïan at the end? Spoon got famous in Germany and a Top Ten single because the song was used as the theme melody for the Durbridge television thriller 'Das Messer'.

This album was ahead of the times in 1972 and is an important milestone of Krautrock - don't miss it!

Send comments to Rivertree (BETA) | Report this review (#153344) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 01, 2007

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars This is a fine album from Can. As usual, the intricate drumming of Jaki Liebezeit propels each piece along, making most of the songs interesting to this proggies ears. Most of the songs are groove based jams, with the usual Can weirdness added in. It almost sounds like something from Brian Eno's "Here Come The Warm Jets" period, with somewhat abrasive sounds over decent rock jam licks.

Then there's "Soup". Be prepared for an audio assault on this track. This is the only warning you will receive.

My favorite track on this disk is "Spoon". I'm not sure why, but it always makes me smile.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#221598) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Review by UMUR
4 stars Ege Bamyasi is the fourth ( if you count the compiled album Soundtracks (1970) as a full album) full-length studio album by German experimental/ psychadelic rock act Can. The album is the second album with a stabile lineup. Once again featuring Japanese vocalist Damo Suzuki behind the microphone.

Can had earlier in 1972 had great succes with the single release Spoon. That single sold over 300.000 copies and charted in the Top 20 in Germany. The song had been used as the theme song in a German TV Thriller series called Das Messer and gained a lot of popularity and exposure through that series. Can made a considerable amount of money on the commercial success of the single which allowed them to move into better recording quarters for the recording of Ege Bamyasi. The sessions for Ege Bamyasi didn´t run too smoothly though and because of a shortage of material the band had to include the Spoon song on the album.

The music on Ege Bamyasi was up until then their most accessible but doesn´t fail to deliver clever experiments too. None of the songs on the album has what I would call mainstream appeal though. Not even the single song Spoon. The album opens with the rythmic excellent song Pinch. Repetitive driving rythms, lots of feedback noises, experimental keyboards and psychadelic vocals. A prime example of Can´s exceptional interplay and mutual understanding of dynamics. The 10:25 minute long Soup is the most experimental track on the album. About 4 minutes into the song it turns very experimental and the rest of the song can be characterized as a mix of the sound of Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention and Magma ( for a lack of better description). Eerie noises and yelling, talking and singing vocals by Damo Suzuki. The rest of the songs are not as experimental but the repetitive almost tribal rythms are a characteristic for all songs. The music is not melodic in a traditional sense of the word but there are several memorable hooks and rythms that makes the music accessible. The reggae type vocals in Vitamin C are an example of a unique feature on the album.

The musicianship is outstanding IMO. There are so many innovative ideas in the songs and the attitude with which those songs are played is so fierce and enthusiastic. Allthough all musicians on the album are excellent and worth a mention I will give a special mention to drummer Jaki Liebezeit who has to be one of my favorite drummers in the music business. I absolutely adore his inventive playing and impeccable sense of rythm. He has such a powerful style.

The production is like the musicianship outstanding. Edgy and alive. It´s almost like I´m standing in the room where the band is playing. The drum sound on this album is one of the best drum sounds I´ve ever heard on an album.

I can´t give this album enough praise and I´ll recommend it to anyone with an interest in experimental/ psychadelic rock with a strong emphasis on rythm. The most out there experiments are kept at an acceptable level which is something I prefer. If it gets too weird I usually get off the train, but the experiments work wonders here. 4.5 stars are well deserved and I reserve the right to upgrade my rating to 5 stars some time in the future. What a great album.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#226692) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Review by friso
4 stars Can - Ege Bamyasi (1972)

This was my first Can record. I fell in love quite instantly and bought five vinyl reprints of the Can in one week, almost creating financial problems. Though I liked this album at first spin, it took me some time to understand it. Can shows quite different types of songs on this album, going from psychobeat to funk, a quick stop at some venom and above al stylish rythmical tunes. I consider it to be very special this record never seems to age. In fact, as time passes is seems to get more modern every year. A lot of young people like this record and will refer to it as 'indi-music' or 'chilling-music' and the like. One song Soup is the only song most people won't like, for it is a sort of a-tonal messed-up ritual with distorted electronic sounds and despared cries of lead singer Suzuki. Though it is interesting it doesn't seem to fit with the other material on the album, which is quite relaxing and moody.

Pinch and One More Night are like a jam session with much effect and rythmical experiments. Overall these tracks are enjoyable but one might argue wether these songs aren't a bit boring sometimes. Still they are relaxing and full of surprises if you listen very carefully to them. I'm so green on side two is a very nice rock track with yet some more relaxing sounds.

Songs I would like to adress to a very good are Sing Swan Song, Vitamin C and Spoon. Sing Swan Song has a world music feel with warm melodies and gentle rythms. The vocals by Suzuky particualary well here. This songs might just be the most touchy 'ballad' of the Can. Vitamin C is more psychobeat but has a catcy vocal line and great rythms. Owh I love those drums of Jaki Liebezeit! The song evelves nicely and some psychadelic vibes add to a great composition which makes you want to get from you chair and dance to the rythms (kind of strange for a progact). Spoon is one of the best Can tracks ever. The intro keypart is still very modern and the main theme with the weird key noise repeating is adorable. The vocals are again very catchy due to it's rythmic relation to the drums. The great ending has some multiple vocal layers that sound heavenly attractive in a gentle way.

Conclusion. Great material, some perfect tracks (Sing Swan Song and Spoon) and some weaker moments (mainly the too experimental Soup). I think this is a highly rewarding record for proggers who like krautrock, psychadelic music and avant-gardem while typical symphoproggers might want to avoid it. For me this is a four star recording with some of Can's best tracks and some of Can's most relaxt tracks.

Send comments to friso (BETA) | Report this review (#240657) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 21, 2009

Review by ExittheLemming
3 stars Real Time Composition

There can't be many more infuriating bands than Can, can there? Often incoherent, more often tiresome and on too few occasions, capable of stunningly prescient brilliance. My first introduction to this group was via the several compilations of their work that have appeared to date and it's no happy accident that the fruits of 'instant composition' tend to perish pretty damn quickly. The shorter song based tracks have a longer shelf life for my money and although the 'organic school' swear by the 12 minute monster jams as the 'real McCann' it's the shrink wrapped vegetables I continue to reach unhesitatingly for. (The latter somewhat paradoxically, appear to contain fewer traces of chemicals than the former?)

Pinch - At times like these you could be forgiven for being witness to an eggy fart from a vegan and start to doubt their sincerity. Another interminably spacey 'free for all' with the cost of your entry that of being bored rigid by soporific Germans giggling at traffic cop Suzuki's efforts in directing a vehicle with no-one in the driver's seat. Apart from the habitually stellar kit work of Liebezeit and the subtle viscera of Czukay's bass this is tantamount to brain food for those with a sweet tooth.

Sing Swan Song - As if to confirm my best prejudices, the lads present a brilliant and dreamy languid waltz that prefaces much of the shoegazer brigade and probably unwittingly bequeathed several post-punk and rock genres to the musical world. Astonishingly far sighted and another example of why this latently innovative band should have been forced to record at gunpoint with the keys to the medicine cabinet locked securely in the producer's safe.

One More Night - The joyful and loose-limbed flavour of African music is unmistakable here and considering it is circa 10 years before David Byrne, Eno, Paul Simon, Peter Gabriel et al managed to assimilate World Music into the mainstream consciousness, kudos to the Colognians for laying so much of the uncharted groundwork. I have said this before, but Can are the best dance band Prog ever had.

Vitamin C - Bit of a grower this one but well worth persevering with as it just might be the most fully realised composition on the album. Credit is due to Damo Suzuki here, as his plaintive vocal carries most of the 'hook' on its own. Beautiful and subtle dynamics from the unerring Liebezeit who lays down an unwavering cyclic pulse but invests same with all manner of jazz inflected light and shade sadly absent from so much repetitive rawk grooves.

Soup - Unnerving eastern inflected drone intro promises much, but delivers less. Apart from shouting shrill inanities, Suzuki's input never gets much further than providing him with the expectation of a royalties cheque from the performing rights society. Please don't ask for credit Damo, as refusal often offends (his cheque really deserves to bounce) There are at the very least, some arresting and innovative sound manipulation techniques deployed which steal a march on digital sampling and must have been harrowing and laborious to achieve using just analogue tape. As enticing as that appears alas, it's a lazy and rambling smirking anti-arthouse mess. Primordial Gazpacho of an acquired tastelessness. Great source material and inspiration for the dance fraternity though.

I'm So Green - Nice sloping and angular jazzy chord progression that is tenuously redolent of Daddy Where Did I Come From? by the Nice. Starts off enjoyably enough with a decent melody but thereafter either Damo gets bored and resorts to his tired and testing screeching or Can just run out of steamed veggies.

Spoon - I'm advised this was a minor hit single in Germany. Yet again, our five favourite sonic trailblazers serve up a dish that never appeared again on a menu until Talking Heads and Eno inhabited a similar musical realm. It might just be me, but I detect a whiff of what was to become Wall of Voodoo hereabouts? (that's good thing in Lemmington Spaw)

When I want to listen to Can, I hardly ever play the original studio albums in their entirety and much prefer to make up my own compilations of my favourite tracks. Herein lies my main reservation about this band: they are just so damned uneven. However, I suspect that an ensemble who have intuited world, dance, indie, ambient, funk, psychedelia, krautrock, (the list goes on) will be inevitably prone to display the inconsistencies of material covering more stylistic bases on one album that most groups cover in their entire careers.

Send comments to ExittheLemming (BETA) | Report this review (#254503) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 06, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars If there's one Can album that could be called the perfect introduction to everything Can then Ege Bamyasi must be it. The focus has shifted from extended improvisations to concise songs, some of them even featuring melodies you could hum along with. Make no mistake, it's all trademark Can but it's just a tad more digestible then what came before.

The opener Pinch might be the hardest nut to crack. Nine and a half minutes of non-melodic improvisations, abstract sounds and random vocals on top of an entrancing break-beat. And guess what. It's irresistibly captivating. It is followed by three outstanding short songs. Sing Swan Song is a mesmerizing dreamy piece of music and One More Night is a visionary piece of music that would inspire countless generations of future artists, particularly trip hop guru Tricky must have learned a trick or two from this one. That goes even more for Vitamin C, a short but very affecting and funky tribal rock trip. The rhythmic section of Czukay and Liebezeit must be one of the grooviest in the world.

It fades into Soup, another proof of Suzuki's harmonically weird but extraordinary approach to vocals, there's so much raw power in that little man. After a good 3 minutes the song gradually evolves into very avant-garde territories. The noise experiments from minute 5 onwards are sure to drive any accidental bystanders away. It's Can giving the finger to melodic purists and it has rather to be seen as an artistic statement then a piece of music you play for Sunday breakfast. It's quit ok actually. No need for a big fuss.

I'm so Green is the reason this album strands at 4.5 stars. There's nothing wrong with it but it feels a bit fragmented and rushed. It's probably an excerpt from an improvisation that needed a bit more time to develop. Spoon on the other hand is one of Can's best 'songs'. It even feels like a song, with vocal melodies even resembling verses and a chorus.

Ege Bamyasi is not just an excellent album. It's an exceptionally excellent album. At 40 minutes it's a bit short to compensate fro its little flaws. Nevertheless, 4.5 big Bamyalar from me!

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#255273) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Review by Kazuhiro
3 stars The music character that they had had and the content might have contained a lot of very original parts that were. It might contain the point to have completed the creation of music as each album became independent if it thought about the content of the album when the listener enjoyed their music. Some respects might be able to be found if it thinks about the transition of their music of course.

If the point for the music characters of them who multiplied from the first stage to middle term and were done was considered, the band might have been fixed by making the idea that they took and the sound and Vocalist.

Especially, the world of order and irrationality that "Tago Mago" has. Or, beauty and it destroys it of involving "Future Days". The music character that they had had will not have been a simple experiment. Establishment and influence of impression of band by Damo Suzuki. Or, the introduction of the rhythm of Afro and Latin is established and it succeeds. And, it is continuous of decorated sound in which a complete arrangement is given. In the flow of the transition, this album also has the opinion made for the part with the element of POP a little to exist. However, the transition of their albums and music can tie and it research alone. And, it is certain to have contained respect of room by their commercial successes if talking by thinking only about this album.

There might have been room to create music to men who had concluded successfully "Spoon" offered for "Das Messer" of the television series of Germany worldwide. However, having acted as a little loose work in the flow to which the part of the room creates music is a well-known fact in them. It is said that "Spoon" was used to supplement the lack of the material collected to the album. It is said that the part of room finished recording hindering member's creation and session in a hurry. The Music characters of them who develop further and humours will be able to be found from "Tago Mago" in the album. The name of the canned food made in Turkey might be adopted and the part where the title etc. that were reminiscent to the title of the tune of the ingredient were introduced as an idea understand they had very original creativity. Some perfection and busy have finished when thinking about the Music characters of them done alone with this album ..a lot of included content...

The element of the music that each member was pursuing at that time takes up various topics, is pursued, and reflected in the tune. Music of Vietnam in which Holger Czukay had been always interested. Elements of the music such as Bali and Morocco interesting also of other members came to appear everywhere as one of the charms of their music characters at the same time as with the action that may be gradually reflected from their mid-term works.

"Pinch" might be one space that they exactly create. Floods of overwhelming sounds of men who were doing by "Tago Mago" challenge music further with this album as another route. The song of continued Groove and Damo that merges completely in the band has the overwhelming might. This tune will not be simple Rock. Decoration of keyboard to contribute to tune completely. And, the arrangement of the guitar and the percussion instrument has acted on the tune, too.

The development of the ballade around which a gentle song to the sound of running water is twined with the rhythm of "Sing Swan Song" is impressive. The guitar with the part of the keyboard and the decoration where the anacatesthesia overflows contributes to the tune.

The song with the feeling whispered to a steady rhythm twines round "One More Night". The part where originality is felt is proof that the decoration and the guitar of the keyboard contribute. The order united as a flow of the album is reflected in this album well. The introduction of Noise and the exactness of the song might have been established.

The melody and the rhythm of "Vitamin C" made anxious are impressive. And, the song of Damo Suzuki sung by a pronunciation near Japanese gives the band an original part and width. A contribution of the line of Bass and a constant anacatesthesia might be splendid. The melody of the keyboard also contributes to the tune.

The flow from the part of Coda of "Vitamin C" is received and "Soup" is connected. The flow that shifts from a quiet standing up to intense Rock gives the listener the overwhelming might. The band will be able to be discovered to establish and to develop exactly. The tune contains the part of the complexity further and advances. The flow that creates a constant space while containing decorated part might succeed, too. The flow that the idea into which the flow develops in the forward is exactly achieved by "Tago Mago" is reminiscent.

In "I'm So Green", originality and the melody of the band are features in the element that Rock is good. The arrangement of the guitar and the song with originality always press the establishment of the directionality of the band.

"Spoon" gives the arrangement of various sounds to a steady rhythm and raises the perfection of the tune. Decoration of impressive melody of song and electronic rhythm. Or, the sound that the keyboard contributes decides the impression.

It is likely to be acknowledged as an album with which the element of POP and steady Rock is blocked a little more in the work of Can. However, it changes and it revolutionizes it. move from "Tago Mago" to this albumAnd, if the flow is considered as one top that reaches by "Future Days", the album at this time can be caught as an important work when talking about them.

Send comments to Kazuhiro (BETA) | Report this review (#257236) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 21, 2009

Review by Sinusoid
3 stars When I first came across the TAGO MAGO album, I was thoroughly pleased with it even if the avant-garde moments were a bit too much. The initial surprise was what kept drawing me to TAGO MAGO; the same cannot be said for EGE BAMYASI even if ''the green album'' is good in its own regard.

If the avant, musique conrete stuff is what drove you nuts on TAGO MAGO, you can relax as only ''Soup'' has any elements of that here. However, don't come into this album thinking you'll find classic prog; we deal more so with funky jams and unique rhythms than your typical prog perks. Many facets that would later evolve into hip hop (''Pinch'') and alternative music (''I'm So Green'') seem to have roots in this album.

It's a mixed affair to say the least. ''Pinch'' and ''One More Night'' are quite addicting to say the least, and ''Vitamin C'' and ''Spoon'' take the good jam elements and compact them into bite- sized format. ''Soup'' is weak as it tries too hard to outdo every long song TAGO MAGO offered and failing to do so. The other two are just okay but nonmemorable songs to put it bluntly.

Anyone that had trouble with TAGO MAGO ought to try this out as it is a safer version of CAN. All of those impressed with CAN before might find this to be a bit wimpy.

Send comments to Sinusoid (BETA) | Report this review (#267363) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 21, 2010

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars I'm afraid that this fourth "Can" album won't raise quite high on my scale of evaluation. Like the predecessor "Tago Mago", I can't feel a lot of positive vibrations here.

Repetitive, jamming oriented music, noisy stuff. You got it all after having listened to the opening "Pinch". Awful to my ears. Press next, indeed, to reach the soft and psyche "Sing Swan Song". At least, there is nothing to hurt your senses here. Fine psychedelia, but some five years later than the original movement. Still, one of the best track available (but there aren't many).

And the "Soup" that is being served here is rather indigestible to say the least. Over ten minutes of unorganized noise. Some might like this, I don't. Some relief though when you will reach the sixth track of this album: a decent groove and effective music for this "I'm So Green". The second bearable song from this offering. And the last one.

Only ten albums to go in their discography...Two stars for this one.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#277532) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 11, 2010

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars There was really no way for Can to go further in the direction explored on Tago Mago which called for a step into a slightly different direction with their next release.

Unlike the albums before it, Ege Bamyasi featured quite a few shorter tracks and not a single composition over 11 minutes mark. Did that mean that Can had finally given up the long improvisations and became a commercially successful band? Not really, although considering that their single Spoon was a hit in Germany there was some unintentional success. From what I've gathered, recording this album was a frustrating process for the band and due to the lack of material the single Spoon was added to the end of the record just to fill out the space.

Still, this is far from why I consider it an inferior album from the Damo Suzuki-era. My main concern has to do with the track arrangement. Of course I can understand that Can wanted to mix things up a bit after Tago Mago that featured its longest tracks towards the middle of the album. Ege Bamyasi features the first longer groove/jam composition right off the bat. Even though I enjoy Pinch for its steady hypnotic groove and off the wall work by Damo Suzuki, the song lacks a punch that has been featured on previous album openers and instead plays like a transition to the next three shorter tracks. Note that this was never the case on Tago Mago even though that release was double the length of Ege Bamyasi nothing there could even remotely constitute for transition material. The perfect placement of the avant-garde material in the middle of the album created a real surprise for the listener, while here it's more of a roller coaster ride where the two longer tracks feel just like rising to the top, leading up to the fall, while the shorter tracks are the fun parts.

By this time Can began to incorporate vast amounts of world music influences into their work which was an interesting addition to their sound while, at the same time, smoothing out some of the band's rawer and more energetic moments. This album is also much groovier and less experimental than the previous releases which, in a way, was a sign of the things to come. When the material hits all the right notes this album becomes a real treat, but there are only a few such instances and they become easily overshadowed by the lesser material.

Ege Bamyasi can be considered a transitional album for Can. A weird mix between the raw avant-garde sound of the past and the hypnotic groove sound achieved on Future Days. Personally I just lack the energy and inspiration even though this was the period where Can could do no wrong. Hence, good but non-essential release!

***** star songs: Vitamin C (3:34) Spoon (3:04)

**** star songs: Pinch (9:27) Sing Swan Song (4:47) I'm So Green (3:04)

*** star songs: One More Night (5:34) Soup (10:32)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#281632) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars You know, I could see where this could easily be somebody's favorite Can album. Unlike the two albums immediately preceeding it, there are no obvious low points, and there are certainly real highlights. Further, there's a really heavy dose of "ethnic" rhythms to be found; the "robotic" tendencies Jaki mastered on the last couple of albums have largely given way to "shake your booty" tendencies that he shows he's mastered just as well. Add in that Damo is just as prominent in his eccentric way as ever, and it certainly seems (on paper) that I should be willing to rank this among Can albums as high as Soundtracks, at least.

Here's the thing, though: with the exception of two (possibly three) tracks, I can't help but get the feeling that Can, at this point in time, could have done this album in their sleep. "Sing Swan Song," for instance, may be a perfectly lovely Easternish moody ballad, but after the other moody ballads they'd done on the last two albums, something like this wasn't exactly them stretching themselves. "One More Night" actually comes pretty close to getting the dreaded "filler" tag from me; this may be a rather involved piece of proto-trance meant for background listening, but it's hard for me to treat it as more than background music regardless, even if Damo gives it an edge after a while. "I'm So Green" is a fun piece of robo-ethnic dance pop, and it's interesting to put on once in a while, but it's hardly one of Can's career highlights.

The tracks which bookend the album are both very good, to my ears, but they too don't hit me as as inspired as Can's best work. The opening "Pinch," as cool as it sounds with its jittery ethnic rhythms and its domination by Damo's voice, has a couple of things working against it to keep me from loving it. First is that, while Can has always largely been based around Jaki and Damo, here that emphasis is pressed just a bit too hard, particularly at the expense of Karoli and Schmidt. Karoli's there, but he's buried (though impressive), and even after the nth listen I can't think of any especially strong Schmidt presence. The second characteristic, then, is that I'm not really happy with the structure, or lack thereof, of the piece. "Pinch" really sounds like it could have just been somebody turning on the recording mic for a random ten minute interval in the middle of an hour-long Can jam, and while I can guess that that would make some jump for joy, it makes me a little antsy. I guess I wouldn't be bothered so much, though, if this jam wasn't so one-note in nature; "Halleluwah" and "Mother Sky" had a bazillion cool things happen in their running times, whereas this is, basically, rhythm and rambling for ten minutes. Only Damo muttering the title of the song at the end gives any sense of resolution, and in this case that bugs me. I mean, the track is awesome as background music, but if I try to treat it as serious listening music, it goes down a bit in my ears.

The closing psychedelic number, "Spoon," is closer to being a classic than the other numbers thus far listed, because it manages to sound to me like Can are both stretching themselves a bit and at the same time bothering to actually focus on melody instead of just the rhythm. So help me, I love that little verse melody Damo sings in as close to a normal voice as he can muster, and the way Schmidt's synth noises muck it up (in a good way) does nothing but good for the effect. Of course, Schmidt's "normal" keyboard parts are really nice for some reason I can't put my finger on, and the bits of electronic percussion at the beginning have a neat ethnic sci-fi cool to them, so there you go.

The crux of the album, though, lies in the middle, with a short number ("Vitamin C," 3:34) and a long one ("Soup," 10:25). "Vitamin C" sounds creepy in a way the band hadn't yet managed to pull off (which says something), as Jaki brings back the robo-rhythms to great effect, Damo pulls off a threatening delivery about the danger of "Vitamin C" deficiency, and overall the band manages to take just enough of a step back from its usual perversity to sound cool in an almost normal way. That's a good thing, by the way, if only because of how relatively novel that is for the band; "Vitamin C" is, really, just a very good dark rock song.

"Soup," on the other hand, is Can at their most gloriously noisy and weird and varied, and provides a nice break from the feeling of sleepwalking through much of the rest of the album. The first half is fairly standard from Can, though not really for the album; it starts out quiet, then sees the band enter full screaming jam mode, with Damo bellowing way more than to that point, and with Karoli finally unleashed. And then we get the buildup of synth noises, until we get to the main attraction, which is Damo preaching his stuff over the craziest collection of processed noise that could have possibly existed in the early 70's. Maybe that's why the rest of the album sounds so tame, particularly in Schmidt's contributions; a disproportionate amount of time was probably spent on trying to get that perfect "soup-boiling-over" sound and all of those *blaaaaaaaaaare* noises and what-not.

Now, allow me to be clear; I in no way have an overall dislike for the tracks here that aren't "Vitamin C" or "Soup" (I'm giving this album a ****, for crying out loud). It's just that I can't shake the feeling that they had the capability to make a much better album here than they really did, and that feeling has only solidified in me over time. Regardless, it's a very, very, very good album.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#287298) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 19, 2010

Review by zravkapt
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
4 stars Ege Bamyasi is much more accesible than Tago Mago. Here they focus more on grooves than freak-outs. Holger Czukay's tape-editing is not as noticeable here, but the music would not be the same without it. Generally more funky and precise compared to what came before. The cover art is a pun on the band's name. Supposedly Can is pronounced "khan", but in the English-speaking world it was pronounced "kann", hence the cover.

"Pinch" starts the album off sounding like what Miles Davis was doing at the same time. Except Japanese-born singer Damo Suzuki is doing vocals. As usual with his singing, you can't understand most of what he is saying. The bass and drums stay the same pretty much for the whole song. All the other instruments are all over the place. The music stops at the end and Damo says "pinch". "Sing Swan Song" starts with water noises. Then goes into the main part of the song which is fairly laid-back and melodic. Some acoustic guitar in this song.

"One More Night" is a catchy upbeat song. Sounds sunny and tropical. "Vitamin C" is a very funky song but the funkiness mainly comes from the drums. Great drumming by the way. The bass is very minimalist and not very bass-y. I like the chorus part of "you're losing...your vitamin C" and the fast guitar during it. I love the melodic organ over halfway through. Ends with dissonant sequencers which segue into "Soup", the longest song. After a bare minimalist section with drum rolls comes a very funky rocking part. Some synth noises and the drumming gets more jazzy. Halfway music stops and then distorted slowed down noises with Damo talk/singing.

The last half of "Soup" is the only part of the album comparable to the freakier stuff on Tago Mago. Some drums and guitar later. Music stops again, then weird drumming, keys and sax (?). Along with Damo's gibberish vocals. "I'm So Green" has a good beat and drumming form Liebezeit. This actually has key/chord changes in it. Fairly melodic and catchy. Goes into a jammy section in the middle. Nice cymbal work near the end. "Spoon" was actually a hit single in Germany. Begins with drum machine and organ before full band comes in on a five note vamp. Damo's double-tracked vocals sound good during the 'chorus'. Nice organ work here.

Czukay's production and bass playing is good. Unlike other albums, Michael Karoli doesn't play his violin here. His guitar playing here is typical of early Can: bluesy and psych rock influenced; not much for riffs or solos, rather creating texture. The keyboard work of Irmin Schmidt blends in with the other instruments. Nothing really stands out but the music would sound a lot different without him. The drumming of Jaki Liebezeit is excellent. His playing is what you notice the most here. Equal parts funky and jazzy. And then there's Damo; his vocals go from talking to yelling to almost singing in a 'normal' style.

A great place to start with Can, as is the follow up Future Days. Not quite representative of Krautrock, Ege Bamyasi would appeal to those who enjoy some of the funkier Miles Davis stuff from 1972-75. Not a masterpiece but an excellent album for your collection. 4 stars.

Send comments to zravkapt (BETA) | Report this review (#358395) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 20, 2010

Review by colorofmoney91
4 stars Rough, psychedelic and bizarre. Can is probably one of the most important krautrock bands, and this is definitely one of their most important albums (in a group with the other releases with Suzuki - Tago Mago, Future Days).

Ege Bamyasi retains all of the fantastic rough psychedelic rock instruments, with an emphasis on both psychedelic and rock individually. To me, this album is like a much more subdued and controlled version of Tago Mago; it still has the same elements as that album, but in lower quantity and with less emphasis on the endless noises that don't seem to go anywhere. So, I think that makes this one of the best Can albums to start with if you're unfamiliar with the group. Another hammer driving that point home is that this album is that this album is a half-half affair; psych rocker tracks (Pinch, Soup, Spoon) and songs that are quite catchy (Vitamin C, Sing Swan Song, I'm So Green, One More Night). I personally enjoy the catchier songs much more than the noisy tracks. Also, if you're a Kanye West fan then you'll probably recognize the main motif of "Sing Swan Song" as being sampled in one of his own songs, "Drunk and Hot Girls". With this band, that's about as big of a crossover appeal I think they'll ever get. I feel that the more song-oriented krautrock style really ranks this over Tago Mago.

Again, this is probably the best place to start if you're unfamiliar with Can, and if it's something you end up liking then Tago Mago should be you're next Can album purchase, but beware - it's a very hectic album in it's own right.

Stand out tracks: "Vitamin C", "Sing Swan Song", "Spoon"

Send comments to colorofmoney91 (BETA) | Report this review (#431249) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 11, 2011

Review by Warthur
3 stars The followup to Tago Mago was mostly recorded in the wake of the success of the Spoon single, which is presented at the end of the running order to round off proceedings. The funds from that success were used to buy the band their own studio space, and to be honest much of the album seems to involve the band simply growing used to their new studio. The compositions explore similar territory to Tago Mago, but not to the depth or the level of accomplishment attained on that album - it's more like the band limbering up and trying out their different exercises before producing a full-blown album. Spoon is a pretty decent song though. Three stars.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#501033) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Review by stefro
5 stars After the thunderous brilliance of the genre-defying 'Tago Mago' - probably Can's greatest studio effort - came this deliberate musical antidote, summing up the brazen original streak that runs through the core of this defining German outfit. Still featuring the 'classic' Can five-piece line-up of Michael Karoli(guitar), Damo Suzuki(guitar, vocals), Holger Czukay(bass, tapes), Jaki Liebezit(drums) and Irmin Schmidt(keyboards), 'Ege Bamyasi' found the group exploring softer, calmer moods as evidenced by the organic-themed - and rather jokey - album sleeve which depicts, simply, a can of okra. Gone is the electric fire-and-brimstone sonic assault of the almost dance-inflected 'Tago Mago', in come lush, bucolic sound effects(bubbling rivers, streams etc) mid-tempo bass-lines, softly-peddled haiku-style lyrics and washes of warm synthesizers. Although the same personel, this is very much a different band at work, with the reflective streak generating a new spin on the constantly-evolving Can sound. Less immediate than it's predecessor, 'Ege Bamyasi' is the come-down album after the highs of 'Tago Mago', and the pair go together almost perfectly, proving there is little in this world as refreshingly-original and daringly brilliant as Can album from the group's early-seventies peak.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

Send comments to stefro (BETA) | Report this review (#640316) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 24, 2012

Review by EatThatPhonebook
5 stars 9/10

"Ege Bamyasi" is a masterpiece of hypnotic Krautrock with strong psychedelic sparks and with a unique image and concept.

Following the release of the seminal "Tago Mago", Can created yet another masterpiece, "Ege Bamyasi", an album that went towards a completely different musical direction, maintaining still those few essential characteristics the band wasunique for.

Compared to "Tago Mago", there is a different, yet still out of the norm approach in attempting to find new horizons and experiment further: while the repetition, the tribal, driving, and somewhat funky rhythms and the psychedelic feel are still a major trait, the Avant-Garde elements are not at all that many ("Tago Mago" on the other hand redefined the concept of Experimental Rock with tracks like "Aumgn", "Halleluwah", or "Peking O"), thus the album is more accessible and slightly more melodic. The tone also is not as wild, and there are more than a few occasions where the band lays down a chill atmosphere, similar to the ones "Future Days" had all over the place.

"Ege Bamyasi" changes from mood to mood, creating a solid structure that gives plenty of variety. But what is most impressive about this release is it's flow, continuous and fluent as if the listener was experiencing drug-induced atmosphere swings: There are, though, lingering elements along all the songs of the album, especially the hypnotic rhythms. Songs like the grandiose hit/success, which happens to be the closing track, "Spoon", or "Vitamin C", are catchy and engaging, while other moments are more meant to be muscle relaxants, that stretch out to the point where the listener is oblivious to anything else surrounding him: "Sing Swan Song" is mellow and melodic, "One More Night", the following track, much more lively yet still incredibly hypnotic. "Soup" is possibly the masterpiece of the album, ten minutes that will be regarded as one of the greatest moments of Can's career, because of it's wild vocals, amazing sounds, and great varieties of experimentation within it. "I'm So Green" another short, but strongly impactful track that has a great melody as well as fantastic musicianship. Not to forget the opening nine minutes of the album, dominated entirely by the track "Pinch", a perfect appetizer to what will happen next.

"Ege Bamyasi" is one of those albums that sticks with the listener because of it's strange, yet magically ecstatic nature. An LP that will contribute in putting Can high up there, among the greats of contemporary music.

Send comments to EatThatPhonebook (BETA) | Report this review (#660931) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 16, 2012

5 stars There is one huge problem with this album, it's too damn short!!!!!!!!!! Part of the holy trinity of Cans masterworks, the others being Tago Mago and Future Days. This record came to me late in my life, I was 35 and I've been listening to prog since I was 15. I can't understand how none of my ... (read more)

Report this review (#1025375) | Posted by Tempel | Thursday, August 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The second in a string of classic albums from Can, Ege Bamyasi is the perfect transition between the freak out improvs of Tago Mago and the grooving soundscapes of Future Days. As soon as the pulse is established it grabs hold of you and doesnt let go until the end of the classic track "Spoon". ... (read more)

Report this review (#590184) | Posted by Glimmung | Saturday, December 17, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Ege Bamyasi is often called Can's best, and for a reason. It's more tight and focused than Tago Mago, the longest song being "only" 10 minutes, and it perfectly exemplifies Can's signature sound, which wasn't fully developed on Monster Movie and Soundtracks. Pinch is a long, jazzy instrumental, buil ... (read more)

Report this review (#261032) | Posted by Neurotarkus | Friday, January 15, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I think this is a good album, but not that special. I certainly like the more accessible songs, but they don't have something which makes me think of it as 'special'. The more experimental parts like 'Pinch' and 'Soup' sometimes even sounds boring and sometimes even annoying. 'Sing Swan Song' ... (read more)

Report this review (#218315) | Posted by Foolsdrummer | Tuesday, May 26, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars TAGO MAGO! EGE BAMYASI! FUTURE DAYS! - TRILOGY Straight to the point! Who would lose time while listening to these records to type some words on the net. :) CAN is one of those magical bands you can't like on the first listen. At least I couldn't. I knew their discography for years and all the ... (read more)

Report this review (#206604) | Posted by alionida | Thursday, March 12, 2009 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Psychedelic monotonic funk rock, as Pinch is. Sing Swan Song is more bluesy, but it could be even more psychedelic and melancholic. I think two first songs are quite boring. One More Night reminds me even of The Cure and Michael Jackson, it's light homosexual samba, haha, and i like it as an odd ... (read more)

Report this review (#180626) | Posted by progressive | Saturday, August 23, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars SIMPLE KRAUTROCK. Talking about Ege bamyasi Okraschoten-this was my first CAN album from my collection. I've heard about this band for a few time ago and I was getting very curious to finally push the play button. Well, what can I say? ... (read more)

Report this review (#167851) | Posted by Sachis | Friday, April 18, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The follow up to Tago mago is a much shorter album no double this time and the songs are allso most of em much shorter almost pop some of em. Well it starts of with the avant gard Pinch the hardest song on the album for me to get into, but its an ok opener altough my least favorite on the album. ... (read more)

Report this review (#145783) | Posted by Zargus | Thursday, October 18, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Largely ignored and underappreciated gem inbetween the two juggernauts Tago Mago and Future Days. This album has a strong ethnic feel to it all the songs on this album are classics. It starts off with the jammy Pinch, a great 9 and a half minute piece, great drumming by Leizbect very facsinati ... (read more)

Report this review (#86395) | Posted by Cheesecakemouse | Thursday, August 10, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars CAN has no equal. This album is irrefutable proof of this. I mean..."Vitamin C"!!..c'mon man...it's brilliant.....and "Pinch".....WOW!!!.....This conjures up images of rocketing through the jungle on a missle, tripping on nutmeg while simultaneously engaging in coitus...and this was recorded 3 ... (read more)

Report this review (#79481) | Posted by ralphcat | Saturday, May 27, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars A very underrated masterpiece by Krautrock pioneers. I don't know whether this album appealed me because of the Turkish influence: Ege Bamyasi means "Aegean Okra", apparent from the cover! (for those who don't know: Aegean is the part of the Mediterranean Sea, which lays between Turkey and ... (read more)

Report this review (#49830) | Posted by Bilek | Monday, October 03, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Can's fourth album is something like a series of mellow '70's period extended grooves by Miles Davis run through a German psychedelic rock band filter with the trumpet replaced by the excentric (to say the least) vocals of Damo Suzuki. Unlike Miles, jazz or fusion there aren't any solos as such, ... (read more)

Report this review (#46790) | Posted by Tylosand Ektorp | Friday, September 16, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I've recently discovered can, but this album really took me by surprise. A little bit like clinic, but quieter. Very good.I never thought that a sound like this could have come from the eighties. I wish the cds were a bit more accessible though. ... (read more)

Report this review (#23255) | Posted by | Thursday, April 21, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Third album with Damo Suzuki isn't so brilliant as Tago Mago. There are some great composition (Pinch, Sing Swang Song, Soup) and some very avarage for Can (one more night, i'm so green). It LP becomes me in bigger half very boring and foreseeable for me. It isn't a classic Can's album for me (bu ... (read more)

Report this review (#23254) | Posted by | Monday, April 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I can't help but giggle at monsieur Chartraine's comments about this lp, and it's negative affect on his would-be sexual conquest. Can must have had her running for cover under a pile of Chris De Burgh albums . I must say that this music has had quite the opposite affect on my lady friend. ... (read more)

Report this review (#23251) | Posted by DonE | Saturday, May 29, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Ege Bamyasi "