DISCONNECTED

Fates Warning

Fates Warning Disconnected album cover

Buy FATES WARNING Music
Studio Album, released in 2000

1. Disconnected (Part 1) (1:16)
2. One (4:23)
3. So (8:07)
4. Pieces Of Me (4:24)
5. Something From Nothing (10:58)
6. Still Remains (16:11)
7. Disconnected (Part 2) (6:07)

Search FATES WARNING Disconnected lyrics

Search FATES WARNING Disconnected tabs

- Ray Alder / vocals
- Jim Matheos / guitars, additional keys, sequencing and noise
- Mark Zonder / drums
- Joey Vera / bass
- Kevin Moore / keyboards
- Steve Tushar / additional keys, sequencing, and noise

Metal Blade Records (3984-14324-2)

FATES WARNING MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FATES WARNING Disconnected Music

DisconnectedDisconnected
Metal Blade 2000
FATES WARNING 'Disconnected' power metal cd 2000 USD $2.95 [0 bids]
Fates Warning : Disconnected CD (2000) USD $9.33 Buy It Now 2 days
Fates Warning - Disconnected CD Metal Blade 2000 USD $5.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Fates Warning - Disconnected - Cassette 2000 Made In Poland MINT/EX USD $26.00 Buy It Now 4 days
FATES WARNING - DISCONNECTED / INSIDE OUT 2CDS new DREAM THEATRE USD $9.00 [0 bids]
Disconnected, Fates Warning, Good USD $8.53 Buy It Now 5 days
Disconnected - Fates Warning USD $9.35 Buy It Now 9 days
Disconnected - Warning Fates New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping USD $15.41 Buy It Now 12 days
Fates Warning-Disconnected (CD) (New & Sealed) USD $9.99 Buy It Now 12 days
FATES WARNING - DISCONNECTED [FATES WARNING] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD USD $10.09 Buy It Now 14 days
Fates Warning - Disconnected (CD, 2000, Metal Blade) USD $9.95 Buy It Now 16 days
DISCONNECTED BY FATES WARNING (CD) USD $17.51 Buy It Now 16 days
Fates Warning - Disconnected (CD, 2000, Metal Blade) USD $7.35 Buy It Now 17 days
Disconnected - Fates Warning (2000, CD New) USD $9.61 Buy It Now 18 days
Fates Warning - Disconnected [CD New] USD $10.09 Buy It Now 19 days
Fates Warning - Disconnected CD USD $13.79 Buy It Now 20 days
Disconnected by Fates Warning (CD, Jul-2000, Massacre Records)/new cd USD $7.50 Buy It Now 21 days
Disconnected by Fates Warning *New CD* USD $7.23 Buy It Now 22 days
Fates Warning ?Disconnected 2001 RARE RUSSIAN EDITION CD-Maximum ?CDM 0901-680 USD $19.94 Buy It Now 23 days
Fates Warning Disconnected CD, Jan-2000, Metal Blade USD $6.99 Buy It Now 23 days
Fates Warning / Disconnected JAPAN A USD $24.99 Buy It Now 23 days
FATES WARNING DISCONNECTED CD Heavy Metal USD $8.99 Buy It Now 25 days
FATES WARNING - Disconnected (CD 2000) USA Import EXC Prog Metal USD $9.35 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy FATES WARNING music online Buy FATES WARNING & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FATES WARNING DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FATES WARNING Disconnected ratings distribution

FATES WARNING Disconnected reviews

Review by Gatot
4 stars Having listened to this album for more than 8 spins through various kinds of mode: headphone, home stereo set and car CD changer that I've just done it while driving this morning, I'm now in a position to give some words of appreciation and views about this album. Overall, I think this album is on par excellent with the band's new album "FWX" that I have reviewed last week. . This album falls under Category B [my view] of prog music : it was hard for me to accept at first listen but it grew with number of spins and by (typically) spin number 8 (eight) it became my favorite. My view about this album has stabilized now and that's why this review is due. [Note: I only review albums, especially prog, where I have given a chance to listen the music in its entirety for a minimum of 8 spins to give you, THE readers, a fair opinion. I hope it works fine with you].

It kicks off with "Disconnected (Part 1)" in ambient style with Matheos' repeated howling guitar sound backed with a soft keyboard touch. It flows seamlessly to second track "One" with a simple guitar riffs that remind me to the opening riffs of Porcupine Tree's "Bornlivedie - Signify" tune. The tiny but powerful voice of Ray Alder enters the music backed with excellent riffs. My progmate, David, once mentioned that Mark Zonder has an acrobatic style in his drumming. Yes, I completely agree with him. I can taste it even from this opening track. Even though this track has a minimum variation on its tagline melody but it does not cause me get bored with the track. I think the band has put excellent sound ingredients that create different nuance for each musical passage.

"So" starts off with a soft and spacey keyboard solo before the riffs enter the music. Tempo-wise, this track is the same vein with previous one. Kevin Moore's keyboard plays have shown greater intensity to accompany guitar riffs and fills. This track has some tempo changes and some breaks into quieter passages. One of these quiet passage happens at halfway through the track where the bass line of Joey Vera and cymbals provide rhythm for the vocal line. Keyboard at the end of track plays background role and provides excellent musical nuance.

"Pieces Of Me"'s intro part begins with soft riffs followed by high register note voice line. Kevin Moore's keyboard sometimes add the track with effects like in typical Ozric Tentacles music. These effects have accentuated the music.

"Something From Nothing" is like an epic if we loot at the duration of 10 minutes plus. It's one of my favorites. It starts with bass line and some guitar effects that provide an excellent platform for voice to enter the music in mellow style. When the music enters, the band uses a sampling / sequencer with keyboard effects and amazing bass line. It returns back to mellow vocal. If vocal is ignored, this part reminds me to Ozric Tentacles music. Approaching middle of track the music turns into a faster tempo with, again, great guitar riffs played in unique style. It slowly grows to higher register with noisier music with some distorted sounds. This has made the music much more powerful and has created enjoyable listening journey.

"Still Remains" is another epic with longer duration (16:11). The opening part with some keyboard effects and guitar fills have in a way created an image of Ozric Tentacles performed in mellow manner. At approx min 2:40 the music turns into a faster tempo style with all players contribute and participate There are wonderful transitions performed with piano as the lead instrument player. I personally like the bass line that sometimes play a dominating role in quieter passage. The keyboard played with symphonic style at background. The guitar riffs are getting louder throughout the song accompanied with keyboard solo. Well, this track has a lot of catchy melodies with some tempo changes. At approx minute 10 the music turns quieter with excellent vocal line followed with a short electric guitar solo. Sometimes guitar sound reminds me to Camel's Andy Latimer's style. It's a wonderfully composed music with a very tight structure.

"Disconnected (Part 2)" brings the music back to original textures with the same repeated howling guitar with soft keyboard touch. This time the piano accentuates the music in a classical style augmented with distorted and distanced human voices. The nuance of this concluding track reminds me to Vangelis' "Chariots of Fire".

It's a highly recommended album in "another kind" of progressive metal vein. Another kind? Yeah, I'm sure about it as when the music flows throughout this album, the band has successfully projected other nuances of prog metal even though there are riffs (sometime repeated) that describe the prog met nature. This album has been wonderfully crafted considering many musical nuances produced through sound effects and/or styles. Overall, the album has a tight structure with clear head and tail, each track is well positioned in such a way that creates an ultimate mind satisfaction and listening pleasures. The songwriting is powerful, the delivery and musicianship are top notch. If I was not aware that the band have launched another follow-up album "FWX", I would have wondered whether the band can still maintain its quality as this album has earned. The fair rating is 4.5 out of 5. Keep on progging!! - GW, Indonesia ---

Notes : --- Based on my experience with progressive music, there are three categories of prog albums based on my listening experience. Category A is the album that blew my mind at first listen and it became my all-time favorite and I kept on playing the CD at my player on and on. Examples of this Cat A includes: Marillion (Fish era), Arena, IQ, Dream Theater, post Syd Barrett Pink Floyd, Yes "Fragile", Yes "Going For The One", Yes "Drama" etc. Category B is the album that was hard for me to accept at first listen but it grew with number of spins and by (typically) spin number 8 (eight) it became my favorite. Examples include: Gentle Giant (except "Civilian"), Yes "Tales from Topographic Ocean", Yes "Relayer", Pain of Salvation "Perfect Element Part 1" and "Remedy Lane", Fates Warning "Disconnected", "FWX", etc.. Category C is the album that did not attract me to have other spin due to weak composition (lack of structure or melody) or lack of originality of its music (too much influence of other bands). I don't want to give examples of this, actually, as it would create further controversy with other prog listeners.Albums under this category may move to Category B. Disagreement with my view is welcome as we are talking about prog, aren't we?. It's not prog at all if I do not welcome any disagreement or differing views.---

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#23481) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 08, 2005

Review by horza
5 stars The best album by far from this prolific band.No fillers on an album which at just under one hour represents great value for money.They have progressed in 20 odd years from looking like dodgy Iron Maiden look alikes (check first album back cover-ha ha).The classic Something From Nothing is a good enough reason on its own for checking out this album.You may have heard this before but my previous submission on this essential album vanished.Similarities with Dream Theater exist but the Fates emerge victorious.

Send comments to horza (BETA) | Report this review (#47935) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 22, 2005

Review by Rivertree
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Psych/Space Team & Band Submissions
4 stars Disconnected from what?

That's Prog Metal I really like - heavy but also very melodic with a lot of sense and feeling. The song writing is excellent, beside metal there are also spacy and psychedelic moments produced by guitar and keyboard. Mark Zonder's drum playing is impressing, the same with Ray Alder's vocals.

A guitar siren is opening for the rocking uptempo One and then the album is growing from song to song. The two long tracks are my favourites. Something from nothing is melancholic, similar to Porcupine Tree on Coma Divine with a beautiful melody. Still remains is excellently composed and shines because it is of great variety. With both songs (but also the others like Pieces of me f.e.) they manage to create memorable refrains which you won't forget for a long time! Disconnected Part 2 closes the album picking up the opening siren and developing to a very nice keyboard dominated ambient song.

This album is great and deserves 4 stars without a problem - recommended.

Send comments to Rivertree (BETA) | Report this review (#81589) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 20, 2006

5 stars This record's theme is about being disconnected from people and society and so the feeling of being lonely and abandoned runs throughout this album. Therefore you shouldn't expect a lot of joy and happiness either lyrically or musically when you listen to this recording. Jim Matheos has sort of put doing guitar solos in the past for now as he concentrates on playing dense riffs and a heavy rhythmic guitar (grinding away). There is a lot of atmosphere on this disc as well as heaviness. Of course having Kevin Moore on board is great when you need to create atmosphere. Zonder and Vera sure know how to bring lots of bottom end. Good to see Terry Brown co-producing this record along with the band. They thank former member Bernie Versailles and his and Ray's present band mate with REDEMPTION Nick Van Dyk.

"Disconnected (Part 1)" features Matheos playing a single bended note on his guitar several times that recalls the PINK FLOYD song "Welcome To the Machine".The synths answer the machine in this short gloomy opener. The machine comes back at the end of the album. "One" has an uptempo intro. Zonder ! The guy is incredible. Tempo changes throughout this song. Adler can sure hold a note as witnessed 3 minutes in. Some intricate guitar work as well. Adler wrote this song. The next song "So" has been described as DREAM THEATER meets TOOL. Eerie synths to open as heavy drums and bass come in. The synths sound fantastic and Adler is in fine form. The chorus is heavy and aggressive. It's the Zonder and Matheos show 4 minutes in. An atmospheric passage 5 minutes in contrasts well with the heaviness before and after. "Pieces Of Me" really rocks out. Blistering guitar to open as Zonder does his thing. Adler comes in as drums pound steadily and Matheos grinds away on his guitar. Matheos tears it up 4 minutes in. "Something From Nothing" was also written by Adler and it opens with acoustic guitar and bass. There is a lot of atmosphere as Ray sings slowly. An industrial sound comes and goes. It becomes FLOYD-like 4 minutes in as the sound becomes eerie and dark. There is actually a sinister feeling that raises it's head once in a while throughout this tune. 5 minutes in Matheos turns it up a notch and so does everybody else. Adler is really impressive right now. This is my second favourite song on this album.

"Still Remains" is not only my favourite on this record but it may just be the best song they have ever done, it's that good. A 16 minute journey that starts with a slow pace with lots of atmosphere for 2 1/2 minutes. Then it starts to rise out of it's slumber,synths are prominant and we can hear some odd metered drumming and piano. Vera shines on this song especially after 11 minutes,but earlier too. This is a must hear song for all metal fans. The final song "Disconnected (Part 2)" recalls Kevin's song with DREAM THEATER "Space Dye Vest". The FATES WARNING machine is back ! That bended note with atmospheric keys answering back to the machine's wail.

This album is pure heaven for me. It blends all the elements that I love about music. I am a huge Jim Matheos fan, he wrote all the music for this record and shared with Adler in the lyrics.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#128375) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 14, 2007

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
4 stars In ''Disconnected'' FATES WARNING comtinue the direction they took with the ''Pleasant shade of grey'' album.Very good work on guitars,a tight rhythm sectionand lots of keyboards effects the way only FATES WARNING teached to play.And of course Ray Alder gives another great performance behind the microphone...Very atmospheric...

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#146417) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 22, 2007

Review by Prog-jester
5 stars Reading this, bear in mind, that I ain’t a Prog-Metal fan…

Now guess what I’m describing. Top-notch Progressive Metal with Alternative Rock echoes plus some ambient and even electronics. TOOL’s “Lateralus” from 2001? DREAM THEATER’s “Train of Thought” from 2003? RIVERSIDE’s “Second Life Syndrome” from 2005? PORCUPINE TREE’s “Fear of a Blank Planet”? No, this is FATES WARNING circa 2000 with their masterpiece entitled “Disconnected”. Every album among ones listed above has driven all progfans mad with its unique and fresh approach, but FW were the first to walk this path, and unfortunately they haven’t got what they’ve deserved with this record.

I remember getting most FW albums on CD-Rs from a friend 4-5 years ago, and my reaction was something like “good Lord, this is not DREAM THEATER, hence very bad”. Then it mutilated into “okay, at least they have “Still Remains”. All this summer I was coming back in my thoughts to this album, and last week I’ve chanced to come across it in my favourite Lugansk store (Russian CD-Maximum license with booklet and everything). Need I say I bought it?

So, I went back home and refreshed my impressions. Boy, this is something. Probably, the most refreshing and captivating and still metal album. Flooded with electronic noises and ethereal hisses, with crunchy alternative-like riffs, provoking lyrics, excellent melodic gift and mind-blowing maturity, it’s definitely my favourite CD from 2000. As for traditional Prog-Metal – from the whole new millennium so far! Look here, DTs, there’s some genius music written, learn how to do it!

Beginning from two-notes based industrial intro, album crashes into “One”, 5/4+7/8-signatured fast, short and utterly heavy track, perfect for single or something. “So” is a TOOL-like slow alternative metal, with awesome mid-part. “Pieces of Me” may have frightened lots of traditional Prog-Metal fans, it sounds almost like LINKIN PART in the beginning! But again a mid-part here simply blows my mind…another perfect choice as a single. “Something from Nothing” is the first BIG thing here, 11 minutes long, with psychedelic groove in the first half and wonderful ballad-like “I though I never needed” part closer to the end. “Still Remains”…good Lord, I can’t take over my emotions speaking of this one! This is possibly the best Prog-Metal epic I ever heard, from calm intro, through powerful verses and till closing “Deep in the night” part. 16 minutes of flawless bliss; top-notch musicianship, awesomely catchy melodies, strong lyrics and that epic feeling not every band can achieve and/or recreate. And “Disconnected” again, experimental instrumental track with dreamy piano from Kevin “Yes-That-Kevin-Moore-From-That-Band” Moore and those two desolate guitar notes from intro…What are you waiting for? Highly recommended, extremely recommended, wholeheartedly recommended!!!

PS: One of the reviewers states that he has listened 4 times to this album and it failed to impress him. 4 freaking times, you see? An eternity!!!

Send comments to Prog-jester (BETA) | Report this review (#146790) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Review by Cesar Inca
4 stars Music albums are art expressions that somehow manage to assume a definite personality after they are released, and this is certainly a hard thingto achieve when the ears of fans and collectors are still impressed by an amazing concept-album that had been released previously - this was the status of Fates Warning's "Disconnected", to become acknowledged as a musica lwork with its own worth after the paragon incarnated in "A Pleasant Shade of Gray", the defining concept-album that signalled a rebirth for the band. "Disconnected" managed to get a warm reception from fans since it was easy to find the traces of connection (no pun intended) with the preceding master opus, while allowing the band to explore its progressive side a bit further simultaneously with a refurbishment of their most notably metallic side. "Disconnected" bears a more patent sonic power in general (still comparing it with "Pleasant"), but by now let us remember that this is a new FW that is forging its own individual phase. Zonder's impeccable class shines as always, making this album a re-confirmation of hispercussive genius. It is no surprise either that Ray Alder exhibits his energetic emotion through each syllable he sings in tracks 2-6. The album starts with the namesake prologue, eerie and minimalistic, leaving no room to suspect that a whirlwind of architectonic metal is on the brink - I'm referring to 'One', a precise manifesto of anguish and dissatisfaction wrapped in a dynamic musical development. Later on, 'So' will be in charge of reiterating this rocking explosion: this sort of punch works effectively in terms of capturing the listener's attention and securing it for a while. Of course, it is in the longest pieces that the band has the chance to create and ordain more sophisticated ideas, but also we must remember that FW's compositions were never about excessive flashing. 'So', 'Something from Nothing' and 'Still Remains' are the album's tour-de-forces. The former is largely based on a somewhat simplistic chord progression that goes on expanded on a languid rhythmic structure, in this way allowing Alder to describe mental exhaustion with his singing. The second one bears a bigger dose of pomposity, including some industrial-friendly resources that bear family airs with Chroma Key (the presence of Kevin Moore as guest keyboardist should be regarded as relevant here), seasoned with Floydian atmospheres. Even though you won't find your usual metallic frenzy here, this piece manages to be quite splendorous. The latter of the aformentioned three pieces is the album's definitive monster track, which might as well be one of the band's pinnacles in their entire recording career. This piece captures a momentum from itsvery initial passages, developing an amalgam that recapitulates the beats features of the album's integral repertoire, in this way stating a powerful building of pure progressive rock. The melancholic languidity of its last passages makes it easy to connect with the namesake epilogue, which is a solemn instrumental sustained on a monotone reflectiveness expressed by teh guitar-synth's phrases. The background narration issupposed to come from the recording of a dead priest's ghost who was offering his philosophical views about the afterlife. Scary, yes, but also profund and intellectually intriguing - a proper ending for this very special prog metal album by this very special band Fates Warning.

Send comments to Cesar Inca (BETA) | Report this review (#239687) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars They've come a long way since their early days

Looking at the whole output of Fates Warning it becomes obvious that there has been a lot of change. Not only are the John Arch-era albums are very different from the Ray Alder-era album, but even within the latter group of albums we find rather big differences in sound and approach. While Parallels and Inside Out were very similar to each other but different both from what came before and after, the present album is similar to A Pleasant Shade Of Gray. This is especially true of the two longer songs here, the 11 minute Something For Nothing and the 16 minute Still Remains which has the same tone and feel as the A Pleasant Shade Of Gray material. These are also by far the best tracks here and they hold the same high quality as A Pleasant Shade Of Gray. Disconnected as a whole though is not up to par with that previous album.

The two title tracks that bookend the album are not very interesting and the relatively shorter songs One, So and Pieces Of Me are the least interesting material the band has produced at least since the first side of No Exit released in 1988. Don't get me wrong, these songs are not bad as such. But they are not very memorable and they have a slightly different and more contemporary mainstream sound compared to the rest of the album. There is an almost Grunge/Alternative Rock feel in these songs.

The two longer tracks are very good indeed and make this album worth while. As a whole though, this album is only good and falls behind albums such as A Pleasant Shade Of Gray, Parallels and Perfect Symmetry.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#547483) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 10, 2011

Review by FragileKings
4 stars Now this is more of what I was hoping to hear. When I made my first Fates Warning album purchase, I wanted to get "Perfect Symmetry" but "Parallels" was cheaper. I also sampled "Disconnected" and I liked what I heard. But as "Parallels" was the follow up album to their highest rated album, I bought that one. And I was not impressed. Recalling my feelings about "Disconnected" I ordered it and breathed a sigh of relief. It sounded good!

This album is a far cry from the "watered down Queensryche" (my impression of "Parallels") I heard on my previous purchase. This album is heavy. It rocks. And it sounds progressive in a way that is different from both Queensryche and Dream Theater. The guitar sound kicks posterior, the drums have some wicked odd time signatures, the bass shows up nice and heavy, the keyboards add atmosphere, and Ray Alder has really come into his own here, offering a great example of the kind of metal voice I like with the ability to sing smoothly and subtly or gruffly and powerfully.

The opening track "Disconnected (Part 1)" isn't much to talk about. It's one of those puzzling pieces that some bands will use to open their albums. It's a short instrumental that is basically a strained guitar effect and that goes nowhere. It pops up again later on Part 2 as an intro to the song. I find it annoying actually, though in the context of a song intro it is tolerable and perhaps even a bit interesting. On its own it brings to mind the image of a statue repeating the same slow swipe across its face with a straight-edged razor.

But forget that. The good stuff begins on track two with a heavy metal tune played to a beat that will make you trip if you try to dance. One thing I didn't like was that, as I mentioned about many songs on "Parallels", "One" starts out heavy but immediately goes light for the first verse. Fates Warning repeat this so often it sounds formulaic for the band. But if I forget about that other album, then it works fine on this song. The song has guts and energy and ends up on my playlists fairly often.

"So" follows in the same rock-out heavy vein but there's more room time-wise to be a little more experimental. Though Ray Alder no longer sounds like a cousin of Geoff Tate, I kind of think he sounds a bit like Gary Cherone of Extreme when he sings the chorus.

"Pieces of Me" is another metal rocker and sounds awesome, but I really like "Something from Nothing". It's eerie, haunting, making use of keyboard atmospherics and spoken voices from speakers (voices isolated from the listener as they come from a speaker and not directly from a human mouth to the ear). The song uses mood to build atmosphere and releases heavy energetic moments and lighter more positive-feeling moments. It's likely my favourite Fates Warning song so far, though "One" sure makes a good impression on me, too.

"Still Remains" should be the stand out track from this album, clocking in at over 16 minutes. However, I find it wanders about looking to establish some kind of mood and ends up doing too much wandering before it gets going anywhere. The lyrics aren't interesting as it seems this song is about a guy who has only photos in an album left after the end of a relationship with a woman he can't let go off. Pretty mundane. There are interesting moments but I don't find the song as cohesive as "Pieces of Me".

The razor scratch begins again for "Disconnected (Part 2)" and then the music calms down with some piano as a recorded voice of an old man speaks with sadness and lament about something in the past. The rest of the song is pretty good but that annoying guitar (not so bad at the end) finishes the track before a voice on a telephone says, "I guess we got disconnected".

Overall an impressive album for me. I like the heaviness and the more progressive aspects that are appreciatively different from Dream Theater and Threshold. It's nice to hear variety within a genre. I have no hesitation to recommend this to anyone with an interest in metal that's not too abrasive and harsh but more melodic and still heavy, and also those who like progressive metal as a whole. Four stars!

Send comments to FragileKings (BETA) | Report this review (#860813) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 17, 2012

Review by b_olariu
4 stars Now this is a killer album from ther masters Fates Warning, issued in 2000 and named Disconnected. I'm af an and have a soft spot for them since 1994, I like their consistency on each album, they don't have weak albums, each one brings something to offer and offer big time in prog metal zone. This is amazing music, I can describe it as intelligent prog metal, each note is where it belongs, inventive musical sections and a very solid vocal passages coming from one of the most under rated vocalists ever Ray Alder. I have this album since it came out april 2000, listning couple of times back then, few more after that and few more not long ago, I said I must listen this time very carefully to see what is going one, and man this is a freacking awesome abum, is a near masterpieces of the genre not else. The voice, the perfect druming of this teacher drumer Mark Zonder, impecabil song writting from Jim Matheos and very inteligent and inventive guitar passages, and very beautiful and full of sens keyboards arrangements from Kevin Moore, make from this album atreasure of the genre, really solid. All pieces stands as captivating with a lot to offer, opening with Disconnected part 1 with a guitar sounding like a siren showing that something gonna to happen on this album, excellent. The highlights for me are So and Still Remains, the best piece of the album and probably one of the best pieces Fates Warning ever created. This track is brilliant , no words to discrabe it, you must have to listen, 16 min of beauty and intelligent song wrtting. So, all in all a very recommended release for any serious prog metal or rock listner. One of a kind band that needs a far more recognition, they are among the best this scene ever had and probably will have. 4 stars easy, great and inventive.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#921890) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 03, 2013

5 stars 3 years after the concept "A pleasant shade of gray" and after the live album " Still live" the Fates Warning create what can be considered the most mature and complete work, hard to do after a work of undeniable splendor such as the suite of '97 . The persuasive and refined melodies of "Insi ... (read more)

Report this review (#1076442) | Posted by agla | Thursday, November 14, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars After the success of 'A Pleasant Shade of Grey', it appears Fates Warning chose to further develop their sound with more ambience and more attention to riffs based around one guitar and a keyboard. As you would expect when most bands change their sound, some people love it, some people hate it. ... (read more)

Report this review (#204019) | Posted by Valarius | Sunday, February 22, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I don't know why, but the gloomy and mostly slow tempo of Fates Warning music always amuses me. It seems that whatever my mood there is for the day, I always find it enjoyable when listening to Fates Warning. The same case stands for 2000's effort, Disconnected. Not that I loved it the first t ... (read more)

Report this review (#79928) | Posted by ydewata | Wednesday, May 31, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars So here is it, Fates Warning's 9th studio release, Disconnected published in 2000 after their stunning masterpiece A Pleasant Shade of Grey that finally restored Fates Warning's position in the progressive world. After Kevin Moore became a member of Fates Warning and worked with them on A Ple ... (read more)

Report this review (#65269) | Posted by W.Chuck | Tuesday, January 17, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I was first interested in FW after buying and loving the OSI Limited Edition album. My brother had this album on his computer and so I had a listen, and was not very impressed. it was good, but nothing about it really stood out in any way, even after having listened to it about 4 times. If you li ... (read more)

Report this review (#36791) | Posted by | Friday, June 17, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This album continues where Queenryche's 'Operation Mindcrime' stopped (now that's a statement) and Dream Theater went on. Yes, I owe you an explanation. Operation mindcrime has absolutely been an inspiration. Disconnected starts and ends with a spoken sentence. Not 'I rememeber now' but "I thi ... (read more)

Report this review (#23482) | Posted by | Wednesday, March 16, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Report this review (#23480) | Posted by | Friday, December 17, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is not Fates Warning, This is a masterpiece. Make no mistake (how I hate this sentence!) about this album. This is pure symphony of technicism and high feelings against lack of production... You can find here many ways of experimentation with the band's instruments. Still remains remains as one ... (read more)

Report this review (#23472) | Posted by | Friday, December 19, 2003 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of FATES WARNING "Disconnected"