THE VOID

Beardfish The Void album cover

Buy BEARDFISH Music
Studio Album, released in 2012

1. Intro (0:30)
2. Voluntary Slavery (6:33)
3. Turn To Gravel (5:30)
4. They Whisper (6:06)
5. This Matter Of Mine (7:06)
6. Seventeen Again (7:44)
7. Ludvig & Sverker (8:06)
8. He Already Lives In You (6:38)
9. Note (15:50)
I. Note
II. Descending
III. The Void
IV. Note (reprise)
10. Where The Lights Are Low (5:41)
Bonus Track:
11. Ludvig & Sverker (Solo Piano Version) (6:34)

Total time 76:15

- Robert Hansen / bass
- Magnus Östgren / drums

Release date: August 27, 2012
Label: InsideOut

Thanks to Progshine for the addition

BEARDFISH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BEARDFISH The Void Music

Void: LimitedVoid: Limited
101 DISTRIBUTION 2012
Mammoth: LimitedMammoth: Limited
101 DISTRIBUTION 2011
BEARDFISH SLEEPING IN TRAFFIC PART 1 NEW SEALED RUSSIAN SOYUZ RECORDS CD OBI US $11.94 Buy It Now 2 days
BEARDFISH SLEEPING IN TRAFFIC PART 2 NEW SEALED RUSSIAN SOYUZ RECORDS CD OBI US $11.94 Buy It Now 2 days
Void - Beardfish US $12.30 Buy It Now 3 days
The Void by Beardfish (CD, Aug-2012, Inside Out Music) US $10.75 Buy It Now 3 days
BEARDFISH-SLEEPING IN TRAFFIC PART ONE-JAPAN CD Gi50 US $38.50 Buy It Now 5 days
Sleeping in Traffic, Pt. 1 by Beardfish (CD, May-2007, Inside Out Music) US $12.26 Buy It Now 6 days
Sleeping in Traffic, Pt. 2 [PA] by Beardfish (CD, May-2008, Inside Out Music) US $11.23 Buy It Now 6 days
Beardfish - Destined Solitaire US $10.99 Buy It Now 7 days
DESTINED SOLITAIRE BY BEARDFISH (CD) US $21.37 Buy It Now 8 days
SLEEPING IN TRAFFIC:PART TWO BY BEARDFISH (CD) US $21.37 Buy It Now 8 days
VOID BY BEARDFISH (CD) US $20.96 Buy It Now 8 days
Beardfish - Void CD US $17.62 Buy It Now 8 days
BEARDFISH - SLEEPING IN TRAFFIC: PART ONE (IMPORT) NEW CD US $37.07 Buy It Now 11 days
Beardfish - Sleeping In Traffic: Part One [CD New] US $22.99 Buy It Now 12 days
BEARDFISH - "Sleeping In Traffic #2" CD 1st 2008 GERMAN PROMO + BIO ORIG US $22.88 Buy It Now 12 days
Beardfish - Sleeping In Traffic: Part One CD US $30.48 Buy It Now 12 days
BEARDFISH THE VOID 2 X LP MINT SEALED ORIGINAL IMPORT US $49.99 Buy It Now 14 days
Please Be Quiet by Gungfly (CD, Aug-2009, CD Baby) Beardfish's Rickard Sjöblom US $17.50 Buy It Now 14 days
BEARDFISH - SLEEPING IN TRAFFIC, PT. 2 [PA] - NEW CD US $11.23 Buy It Now 14 days
Destined Solitaire by Beardfish (CD, Jul-2009, Inside Out Music) US $10.79 Buy It Now 16 days
BEARDFISH - SLEEPING IN TRAFFIC: PART ONE NEW CD US $22.85 Buy It Now 17 days
Void - Beardfish New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $21.63 Buy It Now 19 days
Sleeping in Traffic:part One - Beardfish New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $22.71 Buy It Now 19 days
Beardfish - Sleeping In Traffic: Pt. 1 [CD New] US $15.20 Buy It Now 20 days
Sleeping in Traffic:part Two - Beardfish New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $22.71 Buy It Now 22 days
Destined Solitaire by Beardfish (CD, Jul-2009, Inside Out Music) FACTORY SEALED US $10.75 Buy It Now 22 days
Destined Solitaire - Beardfish US $12.80 Buy It Now 23 days
BEARDFISH - SLEEPING IN TRAFFIC: PART 2 NEW CD US $22.85 Buy It Now 24 days
Beardfish - Sleeping in Traffic, Pt. 2 (Parental Advisory, 2008) CD NEW SEALED US $11.84 Buy It Now 25 days
Beardfish - Sleeping In Traffic: Pt. 2 [CD New] US $14.18 Buy It Now 26 days
Beardfish - Destined Solitaire [CD New] US $13.73 Buy It Now 26 days
Destined Solitaire - Beardfish New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $22.71 Buy It Now 26 days
BEARDFISH - SLEEPING IN TRAFFIC, PT. 1 - NEW CD US $12.22 Buy It Now 27 days
-Destined Solitaire CD CD Beardfish Excellent US $20.96 Buy It Now 27 days
BEARDFISH - DESTINED SOLITAIRE NEW CD US $22.85 Buy It Now 27 days
Beardfish - Sleeping In Traffic: Pt. 2 CD US $18.53 Buy It Now 28 days
Beardfish - Sleeping In Traffic: Pt. 1 CD US $18.53 Buy It Now 28 days
Beardfish - Destined Solitaire CD US $18.45 Buy It Now 28 days
BEARDFISH - DESTINED SOLITAIRE [BEARDFISH] - NEW CD US $11.69 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy BEARDFISH music online Buy BEARDFISH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BEARDFISH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BEARDFISH The Void ratings distribution

BEARDFISH The Void reviews

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars Beardfish are another Swedish band that have decided that 2012 is the right time to produce something that is a little out of the ordinary, well for them at least. This album may start with a gentle spoken introduction (care of Andy Tillison of PO90 and The Tangent), but then is off with some crushing riffs which isn't exactly these guys' normal style. We are treated to some great melodic neo-prog that at times is more metal than rock, but always with a great amount of melody and vocals. This is prog that at times is much more direct than many may be used to, and in fact moves away from what some people consider to be prog at all, but it is always class, solid class. They may be more Radiohead and jagged edges than Floyd and a warm blanket, but the result is something that is both enjoyable and extremely accessible the first time it is played.

There will be some who have thrown their hands up in horror of Beardfish actually progressing in a musical sense, but isn't that what it is all about? True, the guitars at time have a wonderfully fuzzed out distorted sound that one would associate more with Kyuss than Yes but who cares? This is an album that should pick up fans who would not normally touch anything associated with the word 'prog' and all power to the guys for moving into what is for them uncharted territory. Hopefully they will not lose the people who bought the previous six albums, and there is still plenty on here for the 'traditional' Beardfish fan to enjoy with loads of different styles throw into the mix.

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#821797) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 16, 2012

Review by Nightfly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
3 stars 2012 see's Beardfish return with their seventh studio album, The Void. Rumours were that they were going in a heavier, even metal direction. Truth is Beardfish have been getting heavier since their masterpiece Sleeping In Traffic: Part Two which for many captured the band at their peak. Retro sounding it may have been but the eclectic mix of prog with great hooks, strong melodies and a good dose of humour were irresistible for many. Since then they've released a couple of good but inferior to SITP2 albums which - and who can blame them, saw the band progressing with a more contemporary sound but losing much of their quirky charm in the process.

The Void doesn't turn out to be the prog metal album some may have been expecting but it does feature moments which are metal and is certainly their heaviest album to date. The guitars sound dirtier than in the past and it's probably their most complex music so far. Beardfish have improved as musicians - not that they were bad before - but it has to be said they haven't, or make that Rikard Sjöblom hasn't improved as a songwriter. In the interests of progression they've lost something in the process, which in the main boils down to weaker hooks and melodies. There's even the very occasional use of death metal growls here! Now don't get me wrong, The Void isn't a bad album by any means, in fact it's quite a good one and opening track proper Voluntary Slavery, which incidentally features some of the heaviest playing here is pretty captivating. There's still elements of old Beardfish which could sit on their earlier albums like the tellingly titled instrumental Seventeen Again which is great and features some excellent playing from all including the trademark Beardfish organ sound which is easily identifiable with the band. Ludvig & Sverker is one of the stronger vocal melodies and could almost sit on Sleeping In Traffic: Part One being subtler, at least in parts.

Some may be put off by the slightly dirgy production which helps drag inferior tracks such as He Already Lives In You down further, which after a promising start seems to drift into nothingness with little of redeeming qualities. At almost sixteen minutes Note is the longest piece on the album and does bear a bit more of a resemblance to older Beardfish in terms of the overall sound and feel but not in quality despite the beautiful guitar solo over piano arpeggios thirteen minutes in.

Whilst I admire Beardfish for not staying still and attempting to progress I think they need to look at their earlier albums to remind them of what made them so great. The Void is a good album which in parts is very enjoyable but for me there's too many moments where I find my interest waning and at 76 minutes is a bit too long. I'd say they'll have to come up with something stronger than this if they want to reach a wider audience.

Send comments to Nightfly (BETA) | Report this review (#834175) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 07, 2012

4 stars BEARDFISH have consistantly put out some incredible albums over the years to the point where they have become one of my favourite bands out of Sweden. They do it differently than my favourite Swedish bands like ANEKDOTEN, ANGLAGARD, SINKADUS and LANDBERK but they are so freaking talented. Early on it was their Zappa-like humour and flavour along with the killer instrumental work that drew me in and all these years later I would say those are the things that still appeal to me along with the exceptional lyrics. As others have noted this one has some heaviness to it not heard in earlier releases, but that's just a couple of tracks for those who might be scared off by the "Metal" tag being thrown around.

"Introduction" is a narration piece spoken by none other than Andy Tillison as he relates to us up the concept in 30 seconds. "Voluntary Slavery" hits us with outbursts of drums as the guitar grinds away. Heavy stuff. It's almost doom-like a minute in then the vocals come in including a growly "Do you believe in alchemy ?" after 2 minutes. This is BEARDFISH ? Great sounding track ! Gotta love the instrumental section starting around 4 minutes. A calm a minute later with reserved vocals. "Turn To Gravel" continues with the low end guitar and doomy sound as the vocals join in. So good. It does settle back and turns lighter 1 1/2 minutes in as contrasts continue. The lyrics are so good here. Killer track. "They Whisper" sounds like classic BEARDFISH to me. It's melodic with those familiar vocals. Some passionate vocals at times. "This Matter Of Mine" opens with some nasty guitar as the rest of the band kicks in hard. Great sound ! Vocals before a minute as it settles back a little. I keep thinking of how good this would all sound in a live setting. Nice laid back section before 4 minutes that lasts almost a minute. "Seventeen Again" is completely different with prominant piano and bass as the drums beat away. Almost jazzy really. This is an instrumental by the way. The organ leads for an extended period. An okay track but my least favourite.

"Ludwig & Sverker" makes up for it. An 8 minute ride that is so blissful. They actually include a piano version of this as a bonus track because it's so good. "He Already Lives In You" opens with the sound of water as keyboards join in then it builds. It turns heavier around a minute then the organ becomes prominant. A calm with vocals follow as contrasts continue. Sampled words 3 minutes in from a preacher. Then it kicks in hard with organ leading the way. "Note" is the longest track at over 16 minutes. It opens with the sound of someone writing then it kicks in with vocals. A very cool uptempo tune. "So I find myself staring straight into the sun" is a line repeated often. Such a proggy tune with deep bass lines. Love this song. "Where The Lights Are Low" opens with some interesting guitar before the vocals come in which sound different because it's the keyboardist singing at first before the main vocalist arrives. A few F-bombs in this relaxed track. A great way to end the album.

Man this is such a good album, close to being 4.5 stars for me. A solid 4 stars for now though.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#890302) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 09, 2013

3 stars Rikard Sjoblom, leader of the quirky eclectic retro-proggers Beardfish, who have been increasing in heaviness lately, has said he was a fan of metal. There was before the rare growl in Destined Solitaire (from eponymous album), and in the ...And the Stone Said. Now he indulges himself with sever ... (read more)

Report this review (#1070903) | Posted by Progrussia | Saturday, November 02, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars In a nutshell, the first half of the album is, more or less, death metal in influence. The second half of the album is closer to what Beardfish usually sounds like. There is not much else to say about the first half - if you like the growling voice/distorted chord type of music then you may ... (read more)

Report this review (#940286) | Posted by Monte | Saturday, April 06, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I had a tough time with this one initially. It just didn't sound good to me in the car stereo and as a result it put me off the music. So finally I got around to playing it on a proper stereo and really focusing on the music. The greatness of this album was then revealed to me. Sonically thi ... (read more)

Report this review (#917691) | Posted by plasmatopia | Friday, February 22, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars One of the best albums I have ever listened too. I bought this album knowing nothing about the band was automatically blown away. The intro is amazing in its self and sets a great theme. 5/5 The first song Voluntary Slavery. Its pretty heavy but you can hear the prog. Really good jam I gue ... (read more)

Report this review (#894705) | Posted by GorillaMunch | Wednesday, January 16, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The Void is the seventh studio album for Progressive Rock act Beardfish, and as I listened to this album again the other day I had a bit of a catharsis. On my first listen, I would not have given it 5 stars ? I did actually enjoy the album quite a bit, but I was not ready to give it 5 stars at thi ... (read more)

Report this review (#824255) | Posted by dtguitarfan | Wednesday, September 19, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Beardfish is my favorite modern prog outfit. No band has challenged me or kept me so entertained since I got into them back in 2008. For me, it's the interesting songwriting combined with the deliriously good melodies and craftsmanship. No band sounds like Beardfish, and I find it difficult to ... (read more)

Report this review (#814772) | Posted by sprouticus | Monday, September 03, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BEARDFISH "The Void"