BEYOND THE REALMS OF EUPHORIA

- Spencer Luckman / drums
- Neil Pepper / bass
- Dean Baker / keyboards

Released on October, 1

Thanks to mogol for the addition

GALAHAD MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GALAHAD Beyond The Realms Of Euphoria Music

Beyond the Realms of EuphoriaBeyond the Realms of Euphoria
Ais 2012
CD nothing is written ~ USD $14.27

More places to buy GALAHAD music online Buy GALAHAD & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GALAHAD DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GALAHAD Beyond The Realms Of Euphoria ratings distribution

GALAHAD Beyond The Realms Of Euphoria reviews

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
5 stars Whichever way you look at it, this has been an incredible twelve months for Galahad, with the release of this their second new studio album within that period, as well as a tenth anniversary reissue of 'Year Zero' and a double CD set of Whitchurch adventures from the Nineties. But on top of all of that is the loss of Neil Pepper, who passed away from cancer not long after the recording sessions for the album was completed. To say that everyone involved with the band has been on an emotional rollercoaster is something of an understatement, and yet they have kept it together and here is the latest part of the story.

Dean Baker has had a huge impact on the overall sound of the band since he joined, and nowhere is this more obvious than on the first number, 'Salvation I Overture'. It is totally keyboard driven, with elements coming in from dance as well as Jean Michel Jarre, yet when Neil and Spencer join it takes on a new life and when Roy starts riffing it becomes obvious that this was a beat driven rock number all along. If ever there was a song that hearkens back to 'Deconstructing Ghosts' then this is it. If anyone may be concerned that the band has decided to become Pet Shop Boys (and it has to be said that there are elements of that on 'Salvation II Judgement Day') then don't worry as in many ways this is the heaviest I have ever heard the band, although part of that heaviness is due I'm sure to the lack of guitars in places so when they come crunching back they really hit home. I'm sure that Karl Groom must have had a smile on his face as he turned the faders up and allowed Roy room to breathe. What makes this song (and in fact the album) is the interplay between the guys. They are so tight that you feel that they are a multiheaded progbeast. There are times when Neil and Roy are providing incredibly quick complex runs that one just can't believe that this is two guys and not one, the note structures are immaculate.

Galahad have moved a long way musically over the years, but they still don't forget their roots. Today's prog test is what Genesis number is alluded to near the end of 'Guardian Angel'? The song starts with a classic Roy riff, with Neil and Spencer driving it along until Dean takes control and moves it into another direction. Just near the end is the musical nod, which apparently was accidental on the part of Dean but Stu and Karl heard the sound and knew here was an opportunity to bring a smile to the face of progheads. It only lasts a few seconds, but you'll know it when you hear it, not a steal at all, but a homage to one of the band's musical influences.

I love this album, from start to finish, but something very special is the closing number. To celebrate their 25th anniversary Galahad decided to rerecord a 'classic' for each album, so 'Sleepers' appeared on 'Battle Scars' and here we have 'Richeleiu's Prayer'. What makes this special is that Mark Andrews makes a recorded appearance with Galahad for the first time since 'Nothing Is Written', and the first time with Neil in Galahad. Mark originally wrote the song, and was great friends with Neil and although they had played with each other in certain projects, they hadn't recorded together in Galahad as Neil joined after Mark had left. Stu pointed out to me that they had never played together in Galahad, but actually he's wrong as at Stu's wedding reception it was the first (maybe not last?) time that Galahad performed with two keyboard players (Mark and Karl Garrett). There is some extremely delicate piano on this, and they have managed to move it to a new level while retaining some of the original feel from 20+ years ago. This is a song that I always associate with a gig at King Arthur's Court (somewhere in another lifetime) where Stu passed out some party poppers to the usual suspects who he knew would be in the front row and asked us to all release at the same time when he sang 'like a timebomb'. It has always been one of my favourite songs and Stu shows that all these years on he has lost none of his range and his power and note control if anything have improved.

So, to sum up. This is one of the finest prog albums that you will ever hear, no matter what name is on the cover, and is certainly Galahad's finest work to date. The guys are all on top form, and Karl Groom has captured the very essence of the band and distinguished the instruments so that even when everything is blasting away there is still perfect clarity of what is taking place. I have been an advocate for the band for 20 years, and know that I am always going to be biased. But I dare anyone to play this and not honestly give it top marks. Album of the year? I should bloody well think so. www.galahadonline.com

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#830495) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 29, 2012

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
5 stars If there is a better example of "progression' within one bands career, Galahad surely would qualify as a banner icon of unending upward spiraling inspiration. They started out as a typical neo-prog act well within the tight Pallas-IQ-Pendragon parameters, though curiously showing an early slant of diversity by publishing the acoustic quartet "Not All There" album which wallowed nicely in almost medieval climes. Recent harder-edged albums such as Year Zero, Empires Never Last and Battle Scars have emphasized a rockier approach but truth is that all along Dean Baker's spacy, almost technoid keyboards have been leading the musical charge and nowhere is this more evident than in 2012 where the band has followed up the raucous Battle Scars with this little gem, a musical spotlight now clearly on Baker's fluid electronics. The result is startling, with lead voice Stu Nicholson in the finest form and the lads are cooking in spirited fashion.

"Salvation" starts out as with all Galahad albums with a bright overture, here less symphonic but more electronic than ever and segues nicely into "Salvation Judgment Day", where Nicholson provides his trademark passionate delivery. Guitarist Roy Keyworth, sadly departed bassist Neil Pepper (RIP) and Spencer Luckman on drums literally sizzle with utter inspiration, completely entranced by Baker's swirly ivory work, a cross between Tim Blake, Tangerine Dream and some of the more talented techno wizards, with loads of choir mellotron colorations to add symphonic enhancement. The music is riveting and powerful, not afraid of stretching the arrangements such as on the splendid 10 minute + "Guardian Angel", a basic Neo-prog ballad given some solid rocket boosting and vivid sonics, with brash riffs thumping the airwaves, sudden sympho swirls and bruising rhythmic pulse. Modern applications abound, such as the well placed vocoder sections (I am generally not a big fan of this artifice but here it works discreetly well) and whistling synth passages. "Secret Kingdoms" is bloody heavy, a bulldozing monster riff that veers nearly into metalloid territory, Keyworth thrashing accurately within the pummeling beat and Luckman slamming hard and fast. Unexpected piano provides only the slightest levity as Stu keeps telling his story with undeniable zeal, especially the gloomy quiet section that would make Peter Nichols fans blush with envy. The tune segues suddenly into the mostly instrumental "? And Secret Worlds" which illustrates the new direction Galahad has taken again, surprising completely with a gorgeous acoustic piano-led performance that is achingly effective, almost classic Queen-like with Stuart's "oohing and aahing" to great effect. Fans of Mercury- May and co. will respond very nicely to this piece as well as to all the material presented here. As if to help me illustrate my comments even better, the next track is called "All in the Name of Progress" and blasts out a whoppingly immediate mood that winks at recent brash tracks from Empires Never Last and Battle Scars, with Stu spitting his brilliant venom once again, (man, what a great vocalist this dude is?), the leaden riffs fizzle like molten phosphorous and the mind sways accordingly. Roy lets off a searing solo to clash with the wistful electronics and the gentle vocal mid-section. Hard riff blasts and choir mellotron like to engage in sonic sex once again with an orgasmic growl to finish off.

A return of the drop-dead lovely "Guardian Angel" only confirms the immense talent and progressive vision expressed by the boys, utterly balancing the listening pleasure with architecturally sound peaks and expertly placed valleys. The track is melodic, melancholic and grandiose prog of the finest caliber.

The band has continued on its policy of reviving past epic glories , on Battle Scars they proposed a solid and successful reworking of "Sleepers", here they have decided to resuscitate their early classic "Richelieu's Prayer", a piece I have not been familiar with (only through its legendary status). It holds obviously a special place in the band's heart, a classic Marillionesque piece full of charming simplicity, whimsical Englishness that is truly evident, ornate guitar and fluid piano and an explosion of sound that would make Fish shudder with pride. This is a like a flashback to one's evolution and I commend this kind of "reminiscence" as it puts their current music into even more immediate perspective. A sterling move from musicians who are finally comfortable with their career path.

A towering success, by far Galahad's finest achievement yet and comes highly recommended to fans of harder edged prog , especially those who lament the memory of Queen, as this is pretty energetic and operatic stuff indeed. Galahad has arrived for good as one of the genre's absolute masters.

5 borders of Nirvana .

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#840505) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 19, 2012

Review by Warthur
4 stars Just as much as on Battle Scars, and perhaps even more so, Beyond the Realms of Euphoria showcases just how much of an asset keyboardist Dean Baker is to Galahad. This isn't to say that the other band members (including the late Neil Pepper, who would pass away from cancer shortly after the sessions which yielded both albums) don't pull their weight - they do, with Roy Keyworth in particular serving up some electrifying guitar performances on this one - but it's Dean's command of different synthesiser and keyboard styles from modern approaches influenced by dance music (!) to more classically neo-prog modes which makes this diverse and intense release from the band so good. Both of Galahad's 2012 releases have been decidedly respectable, though if I had to choose between the two I'd say this one just has a mild edge over Battle Scars.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#857031) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 12, 2012

Review by Second Life Syndrome
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
4 stars I've seen many reviews for this album, and I generally agree with the others: This album is one of Galahad's finest. 2012 saw Galahad busily releasing two albums among other things, Battle Scars being the other release. Both albums represent the best that Galahad has to offer.

The performances on Beyond the Realms of Euphoria are top-notch. They used a very synthetic approach here; but piano, awesome drums, interesting bass lines, and excellent guitar work are also prevalent. The vocals, as always, are outstanding: One of my favorite singers in Neo-Prog (or Modern Prog Rock, as they like to be called). So, the album has some very catchy tunes, some very proggy ones, and all of them are well executed.

However, I do take issue with this album. The philosophy, concepts, and lyrical content of an album mean just as much to me as the music itself. I don't feel connected to an album until I have reaped the philosophical harvest that an album has to offer. So, I loved Battle Scars especially for its wonderful themes of condemning inhumane activity to humans, emotionally scarring other people, and so on. I felt it was quite appropriate. Beyond the Realms of Euphoria, however, contains a philosophy that does not quite match up with their last effort. I don't want to explore this too much, but let's just say that "Believe in your own bloody, beating heart" doesn't quite jive with their message against arrogance in Battle Scars. Why would I place all my faith in something so fragile and prone to error? The album only spirals out of logical control from there. The philosophy in Beyond the Realms of Euphoria is faulty and fallacious at best. Because of these conceptual problems, my mind cannot give this album anymore than a 4/5, though this still represents a great album.

Send comments to Second Life Syndrome (BETA) | Report this review (#920938) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 28, 2013

3 stars Galahad is a case of a very late bloomer, even in comparison with other prog bands that usually take an album or two to find their groove. With Beyond the Realms of Euphoria - second album in a year, no less - Galahad continue to delve into metal and electronics sounds they began adding to their ... (read more)

Report this review (#1105273) | Posted by Progrussia | Thursday, January 02, 2014 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Trance Dance my a......s! If you thought that anyone could play good, forget amazing, electronic Trance Dance, well you are in for the truth. NO!, not everyone is capable of composing under those specific conditions and aesthetics. As always, after a super cliched, by now "Trance/Dance" intro, wh ... (read more)

Report this review (#1104321) | Posted by admireArt | Tuesday, December 31, 2013 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Prog metal and techno/trance don't work really. Despite the good intentions of the band to create something of new in this subgenre this album don't work for me. It's not enough to add some new acid synth effect or phased electronic drum to create a masterpiece. Some song have an industrial EBM f ... (read more)

Report this review (#940466) | Posted by Aragon | Sunday, April 07, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I find myself very surprised by this most excellent album. I have tried to listen to both BATTLE SCARS and EMPIRES NEVER LAST, but they did not hit me with the same force as BEYOND THE REALMS OF EUPHORIA. I get the "Pet Shop Boys" comments, but you know what? I don't care! I love this and have ... (read more)

Report this review (#919088) | Posted by mohaveman | Monday, February 25, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I'd never heard any music from Galahad until this year. Though this album mostly reminds me of IQ's 2009 Frequency, I have to admit that the music here surprised me quite a bit: especially the presence of modern dance/house music and other 'tricks' from the world of electronica (on the opener ... (read more)

Report this review (#897684) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Tuesday, January 22, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars One of my top three purchases of 2012, along with Rush's "Clockwork Angels" and Wobbler's "Rites at Dawn" and ahead of Opeth's "Heritage", Astra's "The Black Chord" and the Flower Kings' "Banks of Eden", I almost didn't get to listen to the album through until January 23, 2013. The original co ... (read more)

Report this review (#897170) | Posted by FragileKings | Monday, January 21, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The TRUE successor to 'Empires never last!'. Just when we thought that the gap of five years had been too much for them to carry on the impetus of 'Empires', they come out with this! I don't know where 'Battle scars' went wrong. I didn't particularly like it, that I DO know. But as soon as 'B ... (read more)

Report this review (#882586) | Posted by sussexbowler | Thursday, December 27, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Welcome to the rave! Prog Rock goes Techno! Sounds scary! Probably most fans of our beloved genre who haven't had any exposure to Galahad before would after a minute or so remove this album quickly from their CD player or whatever gadget they are using to play their music. The opening does not s ... (read more)

Report this review (#856160) | Posted by King Manuel | Sunday, November 11, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars GALAHAD Since Zero....has become a quite original prog rock band. Yes...in most of neo prog bands there is always a strong influence of the most important symphonic or neo prog British bands(Genesis,Yes,Marillion,Pendragom,IQ),. But Galahad is different..unique ..not influentiable . Y ... (read more)

Report this review (#830031) | Posted by robbob | Friday, September 28, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of GALAHAD "Beyond The Realms Of Euphoria"