JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH

Buy RICK WAKEMAN Music
Studio Album, released in 2012

1. The Preface (1:10)
-The Journey
2. The Journey Overture (2:25)
3. Journey's Dawn (3:39)
4. Crystals (0:34)
5. The Gothic Cathedral (1:07)
6. A Quest For Water (1:18)
7. The Hansbach (2:55)
- ...
8. Fervent Prayer (0:41)
9. The Recollection (2:32)
-Prayers
10. Lost & Found (0:44)
11. Echoes (3:49)
-The Battle
12. Miles (0:18)
13. The Reunion (2:42)
14. A New Vista (0:50)
15. A World Within A World (2:14)
16. The Raft (1:07)
17. The Battle (5:55)
-The Elements
18. Cumulus Clouds (0:38)
19. The Storm (2:02)
-The Discovery
20. The Cemetery (1:28)
21. Quaternary Man (4:50)
22. Mastodons (0:54)
-The Forest
23. The Forest (2:31)
24. Ages Of Man (1:56)
25. The Tunnel (1:53)
- ...
26. Hall Of The Mountain King (0:53)
27. Mount Etna (3:17)

- Ann Manly / additional orchestrations
- English Chamber Choir
- Guy Protheroe / additional orchestrations, choir conductor
- Peter Egan / narrator

An extended version of "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth", re-recorded in 2012.

ArtWork: Roger Dean (Only on 2014 commercial edition cover)

CD Classic Rock ‎- CRP13-11-12 (2012, Europe) Included in a fan pack distributed with the magazine.
CD Music Fusion ‎- MFWN1CD (2014, UK) Repackaged for the 40th anniv. of original album.

Thanks to tendst for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

RICK WAKEMAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth Music

Journey to the Centre of the EarthJourney to the Centre of the Earth
A&M Records 1988
Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Centre of the Earth (DVD + CD)Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Centre of the Earth (DVD + CD)
Classic Pictures 2002
DVD$85.98
Journey to the Centre of the Earth:FanpackJourney to the Centre of the Earth:Fanpack
2012
Audio CD$79.99 (used)
Journey to the Centre of the EarthJourney to the Centre of the Earth
WRITE NOTES 2014
Vinyl$17.36
Journey to the Centre of the Earth By Rick Wakeman Record Vinyl Album LPJourney to the Centre of the Earth By Rick Wakeman Record Vinyl Album LP
AM Records
A&M
Vinyl$199.99
Journey to the Center of the EarthJourney to the Center of the Earth
Griffin Records 1999
lot of 5 rick wakeman lps myths and legends, six wives of henry viii, journey to the center of the earth, white rock,lot of 5 rick wakeman lps myths and legends, six wives of henry viii, journey to the center of the earth, white rock,
a&m
Vinyl$8.99 (used)

Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre Of The Earth, A&M AMLH-63621 Ex Condition USD $9.69 Buy It Now 3h 54m
Rick Wakeman Journey to the Center of the Earth 1974 London Symphony Orchestra L USD $12.99 Buy It Now 4h 37m
Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre Of The Earth [SPECTRUM - GERMANY] - CD - VG USD $7.78 Buy It Now 4h 46m
RICK WAKEMAN - JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH VINYL LP USD $3.88 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre Of The Earth LP Gatefold Booklet AMLH 63621 USD $12.98 Buy It Now 5h 29m
Rick Wakeman-Journey to the Centre of the Earth CD NEW USD $11.83 Buy It Now 5h 42m
RICK WAKEMAN - Journey to the Centre of the Earth CD 1988 US Pressing CD 3156 USD $5.18 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman" Journey To The Centre Of The Earth" LP, keyboard player from Yes USD $8.99 Buy It Now 6h 20m
RICK WAKEMAN (YES) - Journey to the centre of the Earth - 1974 Vinyl LP A USD $5.18 Buy It Now 7h 39m
Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Centre of the Earth Quadradisc CD-4 ~ VG+ Vinyl LP USD $7.50 Buy It Now 8h 27m
RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Center Of The Earth LP A&M SP-3621 US 1974 VG++ WLP USD $12.79 Buy It Now 9h 35m
Rick Wakeman ?- Journey To The Centre Of The Earth/Poster Included USD $20.00 Buy It Now 10h 7m
Rick Wakeman Journey To The Centre Of The Earth JPN CD album (CDLP) promo USD $35.72 Buy It Now 13h 11m
RICK WAKEMAN_JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH_1974_HQ Vinyl 12" LP_(skf-279) USD $15.75 Buy It Now 13h 49m
RICK WAKEMAN Journey to The Centre of The Earth JAPAN MINI P SHM CD + DVD USD $42.73 Buy It Now 19h 5m
Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre Of The Earth - 12" Vinyl LP Album USD $1.29 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN - JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH - 1974 A1/B1 UK LP IN EX CON USD $7.78 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre Of The Earth (NEW VINYL LP) USD $24.29 Buy It Now 1 day
*NEW* Rick Wakeman Card Sleeve CD Album - Journey to the centre of the earth USD $2.58 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman-Journey To The Center Of The Earth-Sealed-Cutout-Promo-Speciall USD $14.99 [0 bids]
*RARE* RICK WAKEMAN JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH 1974 LP RECORD ALBUM USD $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN - JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH SIGNED ORIGINAL VINYL LP !! USD $7.79 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN Orig 1974 "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth" LP w BOOKLET VG++ USD $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN Journey To Centre Of Earth UK 1stPres Vinyl LP Record A USD $6.48 [0 bids]
Journey To The Centre Of The Earth CD Rick Wakeman 1974 USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth" MFSL 200g LP is LIKE NEW! USD $68.85 Buy It Now 1 day
LP - Rick Wakeman - JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH USD $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Centre of the Earth - Vinyl LP Lyric Booklet Ex. USD $8.25 [0 bids]
USD $10.75 Buy It Now
RICK WAKEMAN - JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH ABC 74 W/BOOK EX VINYL LP (1) USD $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Rick Wakeman JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH A&M SP3621 W/Poster GF NM- USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Rick Wakeman-Journey To The Centre Of The Earth-AMLH63621-Vinyl-Lp-Record-1970s USD $9.74 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN Vinyl LP Journey To The Centre Of Earth, EX+ USD $9.08 Buy It Now 2 days
Vinyl LP Record - RICK WAKEMAN - Journey to the Centre of the Earth -a1-b1 Ex / USD $11.68 Buy It Now 2 days
JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH BY RICK WAKEMAN DAVID HEMMINGS CD NEW SEALED USD $9.13 Buy It Now 2 days
RICK WAKEMAN, JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH - LP USD $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
RICK WAKEMAN {JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH} A&M SP 3621 Vinyl LP RECORD USD $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
RICK WAKEMAN - UK CASSETTE TAPE - JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH - MISPRINT! USD $7.78 Buy It Now 2 days
Rick Wakeman "Journey To The Center Of The Earth"/ VG+,MT-/With Booklet! USD $8.99 [0 bids]
Dealer Dave Vinyl Record Album: RICK WAKEMAN JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH USD $9.45 Buy It Now 2 days
Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Centre of the Earth on A&M Records GP-226, Japan USD $18.99 Buy It Now 2 days
8 track - Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Centre of the Earth USD $3.25 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN- JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH- *CASSETTE TAPE* USD $7.92 Buy It Now 2 days
Journey To The Centre Of The Earth Rick Wakeman CD album German 550 0612 USD $3.90 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" LP USD $4.95 Buy It Now 3 days
Rick Wakeman Yes Journey To The Centre Of The Earth AMLH MM4 LP Advert 1974 #1AB USD $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Rick Wakeman Yes Journey To The Centre Of The Earth AMLH MM4 LP Advert 1974 #2CD USD $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth 1974 A&M CLASSIC PROG ROCK LP USD $14.00 Buy It Now 3 days
RICK WAKEMAN L.P. 1974. 'JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH.' AMLH 63621. EX. USD $1.30 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN LP JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH +BOOKLET VERY GOOD USD $9.08 Buy It Now 3 days
RICK WAKEMAN Journey to the Center of the Earth vinyl album USD $9.50 Buy It Now 3 days
Rick Wakeman Journey To The Centre Of The Earth JAPAN SHM MINI LP CD UICY-94236 USD $68.39 Buy It Now 3 days
YES Rick Wakeman -Journey to the Center of The Earth (early solo for Yes Member) USD $15.00 Buy It Now 3 days
RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth ~ 1974 Aus LP - (Yes) USD $17.81 Buy It Now 3 days
Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Centre of the Earth [New Vinyl] Ltd Ed, 180 Gram, USD $157.97 Buy It Now 3 days
RICK WAKEMAN Journey to the Centre of the Earth vinyl LP USD $6.62 Buy It Now 3 days
Rick Wakeman Journey to the Centre of the Earth Vinyl NEW 1974 A USD $34.99 Buy It Now 4 days
RICK WAKEMAN JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH A&M GP-226 Japan Vinyl LP USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre Of The Earth (Vinyl) USD $28.04 Buy It Now 4 days
Rick Wakeman ?- Journey To The Centre Of The Earth Vinyl LP USD $3.90 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN - JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH [DELUXE EDITION] (NEW CD) USD $13.50 Buy It Now 4 days
RICK WAKEMAN "JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH" 1974 A&M LP-SP-3621 EX USD $4.32 Buy It Now 4 days
Rick Wakeman : Journey to the Centre of the Earth CD (2000) USD $6.57 Buy It Now 4 days
RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth LP VINYL UK A&M 1974 4 Track USD $6.48 Buy It Now 4 days
RICK WAKEMAN JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH includes 8 pages booklet USD $14.99 Buy It Now 4 days
RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth CD European A&M 1993 2 Track USD $6.48 Buy It Now 4 days
RICK WAKEMAN_Journey To The Centre Of The Earth_used Cassette_ships from AUS! USD $9.50 Buy It Now 4 days
RICK WAKEMAN JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH CD MADE IN BRAZIL 1989 USD $16.71 Buy It Now 4 days
RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of Earth CD + BONUS Anderson Bruford Howe USD $11.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre Of The Earth, A&M AMLH-63621 Ex- Condition USD $7.53 Buy It Now 4 days
Rick Wakeman ?- Journey To The Centre Of The Earth CD..Japan..w/OBI.. D20Y4010 USD $54.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Rick Wakeman JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH A&M UK LP 1st Press Ex+/VG USD $16.87 Buy It Now 5 days
Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Center of the Earth [New CD] USD $9.51 Buy It Now 5 days
RICK WAKEMAN JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH SEALED CD NEW USD $3.92 Buy It Now 5 days
RICK WAKEMAN NO EARTHLY CONNECTION & JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH USD $16.99 Buy It Now 5 days
RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth 1974 UK LP EXCELLENT CONDITION USD $7.78 Buy It Now 5 days
Rick Wakeman-Journey To The Centre Of The Earth CD NEW USD $40.63 Buy It Now 5 days
RICK WAKEMAN "JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH" GATEFOLD 1974 YES PROG EX USD $10.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Rick Wakeman Journey to the centre of the earth LP Album Canada pressing USD $10.78 Buy It Now 5 days
Rick Wakeman Journey to the center of the Earth Gatefold LP -1974 AM63621 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Rick Wakeman -Journey To Centre Of Earth LP [Vinyl New] 180gm 2LP Gatefold /Book USD $31.98 Buy It Now 5 days
RICK WAKEMAN (YES) LP "JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH" A&M SP-3621 (EX/NM) USD $4.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre Of The Earth [New CD] Shm CD, Japan - Impor USD $37.78 Buy It Now 5 days
Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre Of The Earth [New CD] Shm CD, Japan - Impor USD $42.00 Buy It Now 5 days
RICK WAKEMAN - JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF EARTH CD *NEW* USD $23.73 Buy It Now 5 days
RICK WAKEMAN - Journey To The Centre Of The Earth / Cassette Album Tape / 2654 USD $6.48 Buy It Now 5 days
RICK WAKEMAN JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH UK TOUR 2014 NEWCASTLE FLYER USD $1.29 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman ?- Journey To The Centre Of The Earth LP EX ! Japan USD $34.66 Buy It Now 5 days
RICK WAKEMAN cassette tape album JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH USD $8.43 Buy It Now 5 days
Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre Of The Earth (NEW 2 x LP & 2 x CD BOX SET) USD $194.83 Buy It Now 5 days
Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Centre of the Earth (Live Recording, 2000) CD USD $12.98 Buy It Now 6 days
Journey to the Center of the Earth - Rick Wakeman, LP 12" (G) USD $11.00 Buy It Now 6 days
RICK WAKEMAN_Journey To The Centre Of The Earth_used VINYL LP_from AUS!__shE2f USD $23.75 Buy It Now 6 days
LP< USD $13.99 Buy It Now 6 days
New Rick Wakeman Journey to the Center of the Earth Anadisc 200 MFSL LP Yes Prog USD $87.81 Buy It Now 6 days
RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Center Of The Earth 8 Track Tape USD $8.88 Buy It Now 6 days
RICK WAKEMAN:JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH (1974 Album) A USD $3.88 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN Journey to the Centre of the Earth New CD Yes Jon Anderson Prog Roc USD $4.99 Buy It Now 6 days
RICK WAKEMAN "JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH" LP A&M RECORDS, 1974, SP3621 USD $1.19 Buy It Now 6 days
RICK WAKEMAN 2 LP lot 1975 KING ARTHUR SP-4515 & 1974 Journey To Center of Earth USD $3.25 Buy It Now 6 days
Journey to the Centre of the Earth RICK WAKEMAN CD USD $40.17 Buy It Now 6 days

More places to buy RICK WAKEMAN music online Buy RICK WAKEMAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth ratings distribution

RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth reviews

Review by Fitzcarraldo
3 stars In 1975 I gave away my copy of the original 1974 LP of "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth" and never bothered to replace it, as I found the music too 'commercial' for my taste and parts of the performance sub par. Actually, listening to the 1974 album again now on YouTube, it is certainly no masterpiece and I find it corny and cheesy in places. To make matters worse, some of the singing was poor, especially ASHLEY HOLT's strained and often out-of-tune vocals. Furthermore, I'm not a huge fan of live albums (the 1974 release was a recording of a concert in the Royal Festival Hall) as I find the occasional imperfections and crowd noise rather irritating. There are exceptions, of course, but generally I prefer a studio-recorded album (even if a group puts a track down live in the studio, it's usually better than a concert recording).

So why did I fork out my hard-earned cash now for this 2012 reboot by RICK WAKEMAN? Curiosity, mainly. I wanted to see if he had improved on the 1974 original. I was also interested to hear if the singing would be better than the, at times, dire singing on the original (I had hoped, in vain as it turns out, that ASHLEY HOLT would not be singing on the 2012 album). Furthermore, the prospect of hearing the parts of the work not included in the 1974 performance was also a factor. And, finally, I was interested to hear a polished studio recording of the work rather than a recording of a live performance.

So, what is the new release like, then?

I can't say I've changed my mind about the music itself: it's as commercial-sounding and corny as on the original album. In fact, some of the added parts sound even more commercial, that feeling reinforced in places by the vocals of HALEY SANDERSON. Yes, a female vocalist participates this time, singing the parts originally performed by GARY PICKFORD-HOPKINS as well as singing the newly-added songs. Don't get me wrong, she has a lovely voice, but RICK WAKEMAN's mainstream melodies coupled with her vibrato singing style at times are more middle-of-the-road or pop than progressive rock ('Journey's Dawn' and especially 'Echoes' are pure ANDREW LLOYD WEBER to me, for example). Mind you, I would rather listen to her than ASHLEY HOLT. To be fair, his singing on this studio album is much better than on the recording pressed onto the 1974 LP, but I do wish RICK WAKEMAN had used someone else.

DAVID HEMMINGS, the narrator on the 1974 album, died in 2003. His distinctive voice was one of the better things on that album, but PETER EGAN, another British actor, does a credible job on this reboot as he also has a clear, pleasant voice with some gravitas. He could perhaps have injected a little more awe into the narration, but it's fine.

I have to say that the studio recording is good; the music sounds crisp and well-played. The orchestration is also good, and the synthesizer sounds are there too. The booklet containing the CD just lists RICK WAKEMAN's instruments as 'keyboards', without specifying the makes and models. My guess is that most -- perhaps all -- were digital rather than the analogue keyboards he played in 1974. Whatever they were, they sound good to this synthesizer fan. Overall, then, I prefer this reboot to the original live recording. I suppose my musical tastes have mellowed over the years as well, so the more-commercial sound does not grate as much as it did back in 1974.

The accompanying 130-page Classic Rock special and replica of the 1974 tour programme make interesting reading. Classic Rock magazine are to be commended for releasing this CD and associated 'album fanpack', and I very much hope it is a commercial success and brings the music to a new audience, not just to the old guard.

By the way, there are a few short pauses (track changes?) when I play the Audio CD on my Audio CD player in the lounge, but it plays seamlessly in the optical drive on my laptop so I assume the problem lies with my stand-alone CD player rather than the Audio CD.

I'll be hanging on to the album this time, but I can't say "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth" is essential or even particularly important to own if you are a fan of progressive rock. Unless, that is, you collect also for a historical perspective, in which case it is as much a piece of the 1970s as 'Close To The Edge', albeit nowhere near as good. But it is quite fun and, let's face it, you can hum or whistle along to this stuff. My rating for the original 1974 album was 2 stars (Collectors/fans only) but I'm going to give this 2012 rehash 3 stars (Good, but not essential). Actually, were such a thing possible, I might even be tempted to bump that up to 3.5 stars to take into account its historical interest.

Review by Gatot
4 stars in a big picture this new full-fledge version is a masterpiece work as it tells the whole story with excellent music composition and orchestration. However, it has a very low point on the use of female vocal that really disrupts everything. Fortunately not every vocal line uses female.

My view on original recorded live version (1974)

This album is a BIG thing for me personally. The first time I knew this album was the first period I was introduced to progressive rock world by my brother, Henky, who then was the radio broadcaster for Geronimo radio station based in Yogya, Central Java. That was the time of my "right-placed childhood" (ugh .. what is it? It's an antithesis of Marillion "mis"placed childhood as I was so fortunate that I had a great big brother who forced me to prog ). He just gave me a "naked" cassette with no title at all, sent to me in Madiun, a small town in East Java. I remember that the recording quality was very poor. And at that time I never heard any kind of music with a lot of narration like this album. But the cassette really BLEW me!!! I played it everyday almost 2 or 3 times and not knowing who the artist/band was. I finally realized the artist behind the cassette after I catch a compilation of songs produced by Prambors radio (Jakarta) in which an edited version of "Journey" was listed and yeah RICK WAKEMAN mannnnn!!! Wow .. no wonder! By that time I only knew RW through his involvement in YESsongs and Fragile.

I admire on the high quality standard of this recorded live album. It's so fascinating music that has always made my adrenalin EXPLODED when I listen to this album! I mean it, my friend. No joke at all for a man as great as Mr. Wakeman! He's the greatest keyboard player I have ever known in my life. Needless to say that the overall composition of this album is definitely, absolutely top class! By that time I was not aware any inclusion of orchestra in rock music composition (later I knew DEEP PURPLE's Concerto for Groups and Orchestra and JON LORD's Windows).

About this 2012 version

Thanks to Amazon UK who delivered my fanpack copy faster than I expected. The first impression about this is off course the package which is really excellent especially the Classic Rock magz that describe the whole story about this seminal work from Rick Wakeman. Having read the story I realized that Journey was supposed to be the first solo album by Wakeman. But due to lucrative investment cost he then recorded the Six Wives first until it reached commercial success and used the proceeding to finance the recorded live version in 1974.

On the content of the CD itself I am pleased to hear the introductory narration by Peter Egan as the original narrator died in 2003. It's OK with this new one even though the powerful word of " the Hansbach!" is different in energy than the original version (sounded much more dynamic than the current one). The overture is really beautiful it is now recorded in digital era, the sound production is quite clear. I am really disappointed when the female voice starts to enter the music - it's really the lowest point of this version. It's nt that I don't like female voice but she does not sing charismatically so the music tends to be mellow like typical pop song.

The high point of this new version is when the album reaches The Battle - Cumulus Clouds - The Story - The Cemetary. For those who love this album I guarantee that you would like this new version better when it comes to The Battle. Oh man ... I love the dynamics of this piece as it starts wonderfully with Rick's inventive keyboard work. For some reason, I find this new version is much more compelling than the 1974 version. The keyboard solo is much more dynamic and it makes me really hooked with this piece. I keep repeating this piece when it reaches The Battle. I love the parts where it reaches SAVE ME ... SAVE ME ...as well as PRAISE GOD ...PRAISE GOD! Oh maaaaannn ....this is really a real progrock music! Yeah! Not only that, there is an addition 1 minute piece at the end of The Battle and its transition piece. It's sooooo wonderful I tell you! The narration part in Cumulus Clouds is really beautiful. The Story demonstrates great keyboard solo by Rick and it fits beautifully with The Battle. It then flows to The Cemetery (narration) nicely.

This is for sure an excellent addition to any prog music collection. Keep on proggin' ..!!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Review by Zitro
4 stars A very strong effort that modernizes the music, develops it, addresses some of the original's failings while introducing new flaws that prevents this from getting 5 stars from me.

Chances are, if you are a member of this site, you may be familiar with Wakeman putting 'Journey to the Center of the Earth' to music. He did not have the resources nor support to record this idea in a studio. Having it recorded live was risky but still a good decision as this is the album that brought him fame outside of Yes. The album is exciting, passionate, classically beautiful. The album is also poorly mixed, the performance from the orchestra is not too great, Wakeman plays the synthesizer too often, and he brought mediocre singers who were off-key at times.

Enter a remake nearly 40 years later that tries well to address these flaws. The sound quality is crystal clear, it is properly mixed, boasts a more professional orchestra, has a more restrained Wakeman with a more varied palette of keyboard tones, and even introduces two songs. So why not 5 stars?

_The narration, while having superior background music, can't stand up to the original: David Hemmins was simply more exciting to listen to.

_The music is too perfect and loses some of its dynamics and excitement. Not to the extent of being soulless, but think of how inspired young Wakeman was when recording live a 40 minute long composition surrounded by an orchestra! Similarly, some of the flaws from the original had their charm (more on that later) Is it just me? My father feels the same way.

_Synthesizers. I know I also considered them a strength earlier in the review, but they sometimes sound a bit sterile and just adequate. Remember the fiery synthesizer in the beginning of "The Battle" and "The Storm"? The 'liquid' synthesizer in Hansbach? Well ... they're gone.

Given lack of many reviews, I'm going to compare this album with the original in detail

* Preface - Overture: I would remove the spoken word intro and head straight to the music. I forgive it as when the music starts, it is as majestic as it could ever get with the improved orchestra. Rick Wakeman restrained his playing but kept the original synthesizer sounds in important parts of the overture.

* Journey's Dawn: A female singer? She has a rich, warm voice and it surely makes the album sound more accessible and mainstream. Do you miss the terribly off-key vocal outro of the original? Beautiful, if modern, synthesizer solo upfront in the mix.

*Crystals - Gothic Cathedral - A Quest for Water: Lots of narration, I miss the original ('they called the stream - the HANSBACH!'. On the other hand, the orchestra in 'Cathedral' is more layered and utterly beautiful. Quest for Water sounds very renaissance.

*The Hansbach - Fervent Prayer: Nice retro synthesizers that sound better than the 'underwater- sounding' originals and with a rockier rhythm instead of just bass guitar. The original visual of the running stream gets lost. The orchestra-driven 2nd half with twinkling piano and the following narration track sounds far superior.

*The Recollection - Lost & Found: The reprise of Journey's Dawn was brought earlier and makes sense in my opinion. Ashley Holt's singing sounds on-key and quite acceptable! Amazing outro with choirs and retro synthesizers and more impeccable orchestra during the narration. Very beautiful. *Echoes: The first of the new songs. A quality pop song somewhat inspired by Andrew Lloyd Webber. Sandra sings mainstream melodies on the first minute with harmonically layered instrumentation. An uplifting chorus with loud strings and guitars follows and leads to an outstanding synthesizer solo. This is good.

*The Reunion: Great rocking tune! Guitar and drums dominate in a heavier fashion than the original. Solo dominates and sounds more hard rock/metal than the prog-rock shredding of the original. The incredibly badly mixed clavichord got replaced by a softer harpsichord playing as a rhythm to great female choral arrangements. I might personally prefer the choppier guitar solo of the original but this is a great remake.

*A New Vista - A World Within a World: modern keyboards with narration giving way to bombastic orchestration for a minute and then more restrained arrangenements.. Puts the original to shame.

*The Battle - Cumulus Clouds: Where's that fiery synthesizer? It leaves a void in the song. The song sure rocks hard, the orchestra riff doesn't sound sloppy now, the choirs are so dense. It's a matter of preference which version you prefer. You do get two nice synthesizer solos stretching out the song to nearly 6 minutes. The clavichord at the end got replaced by heavy strings. I do miss its heavily processed sound to it.

*The Storm: His 90s synthesizer is back and is rather out of place. A shame because the actual notes he plays would be so exciting with the retro synthesizers. I like the updated choirs and the guitar and the end, but this song is nevertheless a misfire because it fails to invoke visuals of a storm. It's just a cool jam. On the other hand, I love how 'The Cemetery' blends in violins with male choirs.

*Quaternary Man: My personal favorite of the new songs. With retro-sounding keyboards, Strawberry- Fields-Mellotron, and a simple percussion line (reminiscent of 'And You and I'), he created a rather hypnotic ambient soundscape. Sandra sings descending and ascending melodies in the verses and pre-choruses, respectively. The choruses make the orchestra sound catchy. Another pop song? Not necessarily with its extended instrumental section with guitar solos that sound like Yes' Steve Howe. The synthesizer solo is a bit too high-pitched for me. The latter minutes are great as they reintroduce Sandra and heavy use of choirs. Strawberry-Fields Mellotron end the song.

*The Cemetery - Mastodons: These are the narrative pieces in between Quaternary Man. I love how violins blend with male choirs in both pieces.

*The Forest: This song is actually rather listenable! I would prefer Sandra to sing the softer first half but Ashley captures the spirit of the original and sings a bit better. This is almost like a remastered version than a remake as I find it hard to tell differences other than sound quality.

*Ages of Man - The Tunnel - Hall of the Mountain King: Bassline of 'The Storm' comes back during this narration piece with mellotron embellishes. Wakeman sure listened to a lot of 'Strawberry Fields' during the time of the recording. The basis of 'Ages of Man' is developed in 'The Tunnel' and he plays one of his more energetic solos in the album. The 'porno-sounding' guitars are thankfully replaced by distorted metal chords. The Hall of the Mountain King starts well, has more 'strawberry fields mellotrons', and then lets the orchestra go nuts. Ends too soon and excludes the synthesizer playing on top. Shame as it had lots of potential if it went on for only 20 more seconds.

*Mount Edna: Just outstanding, and he actually isn't afraid of using retro synthesizers here. That and the powerful orchestra make a very fitting finale.

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars Recollection

A trend of recent years has been for bands to re-record some of their classic albums. A successful example of this is Camel's re-recording of The Snow Goose which actually improved on the original version. The present album is a re-recorded version of Rick Wakeman's Journey To The Centre Of The Earth (not to be confused with the 1999 album Return To The Centre Of The Earth which was a sequel, not a re-make like the present disc).

While the original 1974 album was recorded live, this 2012 album is the long overdue studio version. There are some differences and expansions here and there but it mostly stays true to the original arrangements. I would say that the original version is the better of these two, but I much prefer the rockier versions of Journey that Rick have performed live more recently with various incarnations of his "English Rock Ensemble". My #1 favourite Rick Wakeman release is the live disc Out Of The Blue which features a brilliant 17 minute version of Journey which loses the narration, the choirs, and the symphony orchestra, and features lead vocals by the great Damian Wilson. Other versions of the piece with similar length and structure are featured on other live releases such as the very good Made In Cuba DVD with original vocalist Ashley Holt. This 2012 studio version recreates the narration and is as overblown and bombastic as the 1974 version.

The original Journey To The Centre Of The Earth was never my favourite of the classic Rick Wakeman albums and this re-make has done nothing to change that. It is interesting to listen to this once, and it is not badly made, but it adds little of value to the original. 1999's Return To The Centre Of The Earth (featuring guest performances by Trevor Rabin, Ozzy Osbourne, and others) was a better tribute to the classic than this re-make is.

Primarily for fans and collectors.

3 stars oh my lord!!!! female vocal? came on...... by any doubt the album is not to bad , the new parts quite interesting... but the female vocal ? It has nothing to do with the music ! Problably i have listen for too much time the original album, one of my Rick's favorite, with all of his probl ... (read more)

Report this review (#1324821) | Posted by lampug | Tuesday, December 16, 2014 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Rick Wakeman's 2012 re-recording of his 1974 masterpiece was always going to be a hard sell to me. When the 1974 album was released, I lay awake in bed with a transistor radio beside my pillow to listen to my local rock radio station's midnight broadcast. The following year, when Rick Wakeman tou ... (read more)

Report this review (#904931) | Posted by Ajay | Saturday, February 2, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The original Journey to the centre of the earth is undoubtely one of the best progressive albums of all time. But I remember that Wakeman admitted that in those agitated years he didn't had the time and money to record with a full symphonic orchestra, so he opted to record the album live, sacrifi ... (read more)

Report this review (#880614) | Posted by fmatah | Sunday, December 23, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of RICK WAKEMAN "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth"