JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH

Search RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth tabs

...
- Rick Wakeman
- Peter Egan / narrator

completely re-recorded, extended (Classic Rock, 2012)

Thanks to tendst for the addition

RICK WAKEMAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth Music

Journey to the Centre of the EarthJourney to the Centre of the Earth
WRITE NOTES 2014
The Six Wives of Henry VIIIThe Six Wives of Henry VIII
A&M Records 1990
Journey to the Centre of the EarthJourney to the Centre of the Earth
Fontana a&M 1990
The Myths & Legends Of King Arthur & The Knights Of The Round TableThe Myths & Legends Of King Arthur & The Knights Of The Round Table
A&M 1990
Rick Wakeman's Criminal RecordRick Wakeman's Criminal Record
Real Gone Music 2014
Return to the Centre of the EarthReturn to the Centre of the Earth
Write Notes 2014
Live at the Empire Pool-King Arthur on IceLive at the Empire Pool-King Arthur on Ice
United States Dist 2014
Cleopatra 2005
No Earthly ConnectionNo Earthly Connection
Remastered · Collector's Edition
Real Gone Music 2013
RICK WAKEMAN THE SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII RARE LP! VG++ COVER/VG+ VINYL 1ST PRESS US $4.79 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Rick Wakeman - In The Nick Of Time - Live 2003 (NEW CD) US $18.21 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Rick Wakeman - Fields Of Green (NEW CD) US $18.21 Buy It Now 1h 14m
RICK WAKEMAN 12" VINYL LP THE COST OF LIVING CHARISMA CAS 1163 1983 A1U / B1U US $15.96 Buy It Now 1h 39m
RICK WAKEMAN LIVE AT HAMMERSMITH 1990 JAPAN CD OBI 2800yen JIM US $39.99 Buy It Now 2h 33m
1974 A&M LP Record SP-3621 Rick Wakeman Journey to the Center of the Earth G X6 US $12.95 Buy It Now 2h 35m
RICK WAKEMAN TIME MACHINE 1990 JAPAN CD OBI 2800yen JIM 1ST PRESS US $29.99 Buy It Now 2h 36m
RICK WAKEMAN - White Rock Soundtrack ~ Vinyl LP US $6.46 Buy It Now 2h 39m
1977 - RICK WAKEMAN - Criminal Record - Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $14.57 Buy It Now 2h 42m
RICK WAKEMAN IN CONCERT SAN FRANCISCO 1975 JAPAN CD OBI 2000yen SRCS 1ST PRESS US $39.99 Buy It Now 2h 49m
RICK WAKEMAN - THE SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII: LIVE AT HAMPTON COURT - NEW CD US $12.61 Buy It Now 3h 6m
Rick Wakeman - Out There - Official Remastered Edition (NEW CD) US $18.21 Buy It Now 3h 40m
RICK WAKEMAN_myths legends king arthur the_used cassette_ships from AUSTRALIA! US $10.45 Buy It Now 3h 56m
RICK WAKEMAN JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH LP*US US $17.41 Buy It Now 3h 59m
listomania OST 1975 LP-rick wakeman , roger daltrey- made in israel- mint vinyl US $29.99 Buy It Now 4h 2m
8 TRACK TAPES - RICK WAKEMAN - THE SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII US $2.84 [0 bids]
5h
YES GOING FOR THE ONE W/STICKER RICK WAKEMAN ORIGINAL RARE EXYUGO LP US $81.99 Buy It Now 5h 25m
RICK WAKEMAN - JOURNEY [RICK WAKEMAN] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $4.47 Buy It Now 5h 36m
RICK WAKEMAN gospels LP 16 track double (smr729) uk stylus 1987 US $14.55 Buy It Now 5h 40m
Rick Wakeman No Earthly Connection Japan Promo White Label LP w OBI Yes Strawbs US $99.99 Buy It Now 5h 45m
YES - TORMATO D/Rem CD w/BONUS Trx ~ RICK WAKEMAN *NEW* US $11.10 Buy It Now 6h 16m
RICK WAKEMAN - MY INSPIRATION [RICK WAKEMAN] [CD BOXSET] [2 - NEW CD BOXSET US $16.10 Buy It Now 6h 24m
#HEAR# UNITED ARTISTS SP-3621 JOURNEY TO CENTER OF EARTH RICK WAKEMAN STEREO LP! US $4.90 Buy It Now 6h 48m
Yes - BBC Sessions - Czech Republic Import CD Rare Not Promo Rick Wakeman US $9.99 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN - GOLE!-JAPAN Ltd Ed ISSUE MINI LP CD Fi83 US $39.99 Buy It Now 7h 5m
RICK WAKEMAN - WAKEMAN WITH WAKEMAN - NEW CD US $9.43 Buy It Now 7h 24m
Rick Wakeman 'Criminal Record' 6-track 1977 CD. Japanese release. Rare item US $6.99 [1 bids]
Rick Wakeman 'Fields Of Green' 10-track 1997 CD, w/ extra track US $6.99 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN - WHITE ROCK, SP-4614 A&M; LP US $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 46m
The Burning - 1981 Rick Wakeman - Soundtrack LP US $87.02 Buy It Now 8h 3m
RICK WAKEMAN -THE BURNING-JAPAN MINI LP CD Fi83 US $39.99 Buy It Now 8h 7m
RICK WAKEMAN - WAKEMAN WITH WAKEMAN CD .. YES - RWCD11 1992 ORIGINAL US $6.46 [0 bids]
NEW - Silent Nights by Rick Wakeman US $9.95 Buy It Now 9h 5m
Rick Wakeman Rare Collectible box set Journey & Return double LP's & More MIB! US $169.95 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN-JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH 1974 A&M REC. SP-3621 VG+ YES US $4.99 Buy It Now 10h 3m
RICK WAKEMAN RICK WAKEMAN'S CRIMINAL RECORD USA 1977 VINYL LP+INNER*N/MINT VINYL US $14.50 Buy It Now 10h 30m
Rick Wakeman "Rhapsodies" 8 Track! Brand New!! Sealed US $8.00 Buy It Now 10h 36m
RICK WAKEMAN - SONGS OF MIDDLE EARTH (INSPIRED BY LORD OF THE RINGS) CD NEW US $7.99 Buy It Now 10h 46m
Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Rick Wakeman (CD, May-2005, A US $4.95 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN LIVE WITH SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA SEALED CD NEW 2012 US $9.80 Buy It Now 11h
Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre Of The E NEW LP US $23.10 Buy It Now 11h 12m
RICK WAKEMAN / I'M SO STRAIGHT I'M A WEIRDO / 1980 7" P/S US $4.84 Buy It Now 11h 12m
Rick Wakeman - Return To The Centre Of The Ea NEW LP US $23.10 Buy It Now 11h 25m
Rick Wakeman - Journey CD Yes SEALED NEW US $3.99 Buy It Now 11h 34m
Rick Wakeman - White Rock OST LP US $3.22 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman - Journey To Centre - '74 Banded DJ LP! US $19.99 Buy It Now 12h 11m
RICK WAKEMAN, JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH, LP UK 1ST PRESS A1/B1 EX/EX- US $9.70 Buy It Now 12h 46m
RICK WAKEMAN THE MYTHS AND LEGENDS OF KING ARTHUR LP1975 UK EX/EX+ GF/SL BOOKLET US $9.70 Buy It Now 12h 46m
RICK WAKEMAN - CLASSICAL WAKEMAN:LIVE IN LUGANO (UK) NEW DVD US $31.53 Buy It Now 12h 50m
Rick Wakeman's Criminal Record Vinyl LP + Inner Sleeve - EX US $8.08 Buy It Now 12h 53m
Rick Wakeman - White Rock [CD New] US $11.98 Buy It Now 12h 57m
Rock Quad LP RICK WAKEMAN The Myths And Legends Of King Arthur And The Knights O US $15.00 Buy It Now 13h 45m
Rick Wakeman-Myths & Legends Of King Arthur-Knights Of The Round Table Record US $7.00 Buy It Now 13h 59m
Rick Wakeman - Criminal Record CD prog progressive rock Free Domestic Shipping US $12.99 Buy It Now 14h 19m
Yes Fragile 4 autographs Rick Wakeman Jon Anderson Chris Squire Steve Howe US $99.00 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN Six Wives Of Henry VIII LP A&M SP-4361 ~g US $9.95 Buy It Now 14h 32m
RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth LP A&M SP 3621 ~g US $9.95 Buy It Now 14h 33m
RICK WAKEMAN SIMPLY ACOUSTIC MUSIC NEW SEALED CD YES PROG BOWIE STRAWBS COVERS US $29.95 Buy It Now 14h 43m
RICK WAKEMAN.." THE MYTHS AND LEGENDS OF KING ARTHUR " US $5.99 Buy It Now 15h 15m
RICK WAKEMAN The Myths&Legends of King Arthur JAPAN LP w/Obi+12p BOOKLET GP-230 US $39.99 Buy It Now 15h 26m
RICK WAKEMAN The Six Wives of Henry VIII JAPAN LP w/Obi+INSERT GP255 YES Free SH US $39.99 Buy It Now 15h 26m
Promo! RICK WAKEMAN No Earthly Connection JAPAN LP w/Obi+Mirror Cylinder GP2002 US $49.99 Buy It Now 15h 26m
Rick Wakeman Myths And Legends Of King Arthur Knights Of TheRound Table Vinyl LP US $7.99 Buy It Now 15h 32m
RICK WAKEMAN RICK WAKEMAN'S CRIMINAL RECORD CD MINI LP OBI US $15.34 Buy It Now 15h 48m
Rick Wakeman-Journey to the Centre of the Earth-LP-XLN US $7.95 Buy It Now 15h 53m
Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Rick Wakeman CD (2014) Brand New US $34.99 Buy It Now 15h 57m
RICK WAKEMAN'S CRIMINAL RECORD, LP; EXCELLENT-/VERY GOOD+ US $2.99 [0 bids]
SEALED 3 Rick Wakeman Quadraphonic 8-Track Quad Q8 Journey, Six Wives, Myths US $149.00 [0 bids]
Return to the Centre of the Earth by Rick Wakeman CD (2014) Brand New US $31.99 Buy It Now 16h 32m
Live [CEMA] by Rick Wakeman (CD, Apr-2000, EMI-Capitol Special Markets) US $1.99 [0 bids]
ost RICK WAKEMAN THE BURNING Japan 1981 NM LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 17h
Vintage Vinyl - Rick Wakeman The Six Lives of Henry VIII 1973 A&M Records US $8.00 Buy It Now 17h 35m
An Evening of Yes Music Plus ABWH 2 GOLD CD SET RICK WAKEMAN STEVE HOW RARE OOP US $12.00 Buy It Now 17h 45m
Rick Wakeman The Six Wives of Henry VIII 33 1/3 Lp A&M Records Opens sleeve US $0.99 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman Myths&Legends Of King Arthur &The Knights Of The Round Table 1975LP US $2.50 [0 bids]
Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Rick Wakeman (CD, May-2005, A US $5.00 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman's Greatest Hits by Rick Wakeman (CD,1994, 2 Discs, Herald/Caroline) US $14.00 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman's Greatest Hits by Rick Wakeman (CD, Mar-1994, 2 Discs, Herald/Caro US $9.99 Buy It Now 19h 6m
RICK WAKEMAN QUADRAPHONIC LP * JOURNEY TO CENTRE OF EARTH * CD-4 QUADRADISC US $3.95 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN THE SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII VINYL LP RECORD First Press US $7.99 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman: The Six Wives Of Henry VIII (LP) A&M Records SP-4361 Stereo 1973 US $5.00 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman "Arthur" A&M #4515 w/12 Page Booklet record is Very Good ++ US $8.99 Buy It Now 20h 5m
RICK WAKEMAN - CIRQUE SURREAL [740155104535] - NEW CD US $11.30 Buy It Now 20h 31m
Rick Wakeman Journey to the Centre of the Earth SP 3621 Vinyl LP Record Album US $9.99 [0 bids]
QUADRAPHONIC RICK WAKEMAN "SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII " QUAD 8 TRACK TAPE US $39.20 Buy It Now 21h 57m
White Rock by Rick Wakeman *New CD* US $9.48 Buy It Now 23h 17m
Rick Wakeman The Six Wives Of Henry VIII Rare 1973 A&M Prog Rock Quadraphonic Lp US $4.01 [4 bids]
Rick Wakeman ? The Six Wives Of Henry VIII 1973 U.K. pressing LP. US $9.32 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN ~ 1984,UK vinyl LP Charisma records 1981 US $10.52 Buy It Now 1 day
Rick Wakeman - Cirque Surreal (2010) US $5.65 Buy It Now 1 day
G'OLE! - SOUNDTRACK BY RICK WAKEMAN FOR 1982 FOOTBAL WORLD CUP ORIG AUS PRESS US $13.05 Buy It Now 1 day
LISZTOMANIA (OST) Roger Daltrey & Rick Wakeman A&M 1975 US $15.38 Buy It Now 1 day
Rick Wakeman - Six Wives of Henry VIII (Live at Hampton Court Palace, 2009) New US $9.70 Buy It Now 1 day
YES-Tormato 2004 +9 Bonus Track Autographed By RICK WAKEMAN UK Progressive Rock US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
QUAD CD 4 CHANNEL / RICK WAKEMAN THE SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII US $399.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN/JON ANDERSON : PROJECT 360 Concert Tour Flyer US $1.62 Buy It Now 1 day
Roger Daltrey & Rick Wakeman - Lisztomania 1975 NrMint/Ex A&M AMLH 64546 US $12.95 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN - 2 x CONCERT FLYERS US $4.84 Buy It Now 1 day
Rick Wakeman - Six Wives of Henry VIII (Live at Hampton Court Palace, 2009 NEW US $6.46 Buy It Now 1 day
Rick Wakeman - The Six Wives Of Henry VIII 1973 Ex/Ex A&M AMLH 64361 US $14.57 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy RICK WAKEMAN music online Buy RICK WAKEMAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for RICK WAKEMAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth ratings distribution

RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth reviews

Review by Fitzcarraldo
3 stars In 1975 I gave away my copy of the original 1974 LP of "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth" and never bothered to replace it, as I found the music too 'commercial' for my taste and parts of the performance sub par. Actually, listening to the 1974 album again now on YouTube, it is certainly no masterpiece and I find it corny and cheesy in places. To make matters worse, some of the singing was poor, especially ASHLEY HOLT's strained and often out-of-tune vocals. Furthermore, I'm not a huge fan of live albums (the 1974 release was a recording of a concert in the Royal Festival Hall) as I find the occasional imperfections and crowd noise rather irritating. There are exceptions, of course, but generally I prefer a studio-recorded album (even if a group puts a track down live in the studio, it's usually better than a concert recording).

So why did I fork out my hard-earned cash now for this 2012 reboot by RICK WAKEMAN? Curiosity, mainly. I wanted to see if he had improved on the 1974 original. I was also interested to hear if the singing would be better than the, at times, dire singing on the original (I had hoped, in vain as it turns out, that ASHLEY HOLT would not be singing on the 2012 album). Furthermore, the prospect of hearing the parts of the work not included in the 1974 performance was also a factor. And, finally, I was interested to hear a polished studio recording of the work rather than a recording of a live performance.

So, what is the new release like, then?

I can't say I've changed my mind about the music itself: it's as commercial-sounding and corny as on the original album. In fact, some of the added parts sound even more commercial, that feeling reinforced in places by the vocals of HALEY SANDERSON. Yes, a female vocalist participates this time, singing the parts originally performed by GARY PICKFORD-HOPKINS as well as singing the newly-added songs. Don't get me wrong, she has a lovely voice, but RICK WAKEMAN's mainstream melodies coupled with her vibrato singing style at times are more middle-of-the-road or pop than progressive rock ('Journey's Dawn' and especially 'Echoes' are pure ANDREW LLOYD WEBER to me, for example). Mind you, I would rather listen to her than ASHLEY HOLT. To be fair, his singing on this studio album is much better than on the recording pressed onto the 1974 LP, but I do wish RICK WAKEMAN had used someone else.

DAVID HEMMINGS, the narrator on the 1974 album, died in 2003. His distinctive voice was one of the better things on that album, but PETER EGAN, another British actor, does a credible job on this reboot as he also has a clear, pleasant voice with some gravitas. He could perhaps have injected a little more awe into the narration, but it's fine.

I have to say that the studio recording is good; the music sounds crisp and well-played. The orchestration is also good, and the synthesizer sounds are there too. The booklet containing the CD just lists RICK WAKEMAN's instruments as 'keyboards', without specifying the makes and models. My guess is that most -- perhaps all -- were digital rather than the analogue keyboards he played in 1974. Whatever they were, they sound good to this synthesizer fan. Overall, then, I prefer this reboot to the original live recording. I suppose my musical tastes have mellowed over the years as well, so the more-commercial sound does not grate as much as it did back in 1974.

The accompanying 130-page Classic Rock special and replica of the 1974 tour programme make interesting reading. Classic Rock magazine are to be commended for releasing this CD and associated 'album fanpack', and I very much hope it is a commercial success and brings the music to a new audience, not just to the old guard.

By the way, there are a few short pauses (track changes?) when I play the Audio CD on my Audio CD player in the lounge, but it plays seamlessly in the optical drive on my laptop so I assume the problem lies with my stand-alone CD player rather than the Audio CD.

I'll be hanging on to the album this time, but I can't say "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth" is essential or even particularly important to own if you are a fan of progressive rock. Unless, that is, you collect also for a historical perspective, in which case it is as much a piece of the 1970s as 'Close To The Edge', albeit nowhere near as good. But it is quite fun and, let's face it, you can hum or whistle along to this stuff. My rating for the original 1974 album was 2 stars (Collectors/fans only) but I'm going to give this 2012 rehash 3 stars (Good, but not essential). Actually, were such a thing possible, I might even be tempted to bump that up to 3.5 stars to take into account its historical interest.

Send comments to Fitzcarraldo (BETA) | Report this review (#864710) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 22, 2012

Review by Gatot
4 stars in a big picture this new full-fledge version is a masterpiece work as it tells the whole story with excellent music composition and orchestration. However, it has a very low point on the use of female vocal that really disrupts everything. Fortunately not every vocal line uses female.

My view on original recorded live version (1974)

This album is a BIG thing for me personally. The first time I knew this album was the first period I was introduced to progressive rock world by my brother, Henky, who then was the radio broadcaster for Geronimo radio station based in Yogya, Central Java. That was the time of my "right-placed childhood" (ugh .. what is it? It's an antithesis of Marillion "mis"placed childhood as I was so fortunate that I had a great big brother who forced me to prog ). He just gave me a "naked" cassette with no title at all, sent to me in Madiun, a small town in East Java. I remember that the recording quality was very poor. And at that time I never heard any kind of music with a lot of narration like this album. But the cassette really BLEW me!!! I played it everyday almost 2 or 3 times and not knowing who the artist/band was. I finally realized the artist behind the cassette after I catch a compilation of songs produced by Prambors radio (Jakarta) in which an edited version of "Journey" was listed and yeah RICK WAKEMAN mannnnn!!! Wow .. no wonder! By that time I only knew RW through his involvement in YESsongs and Fragile.

I admire on the high quality standard of this recorded live album. It's so fascinating music that has always made my adrenalin EXPLODED when I listen to this album! I mean it, my friend. No joke at all for a man as great as Mr. Wakeman! He's the greatest keyboard player I have ever known in my life. Needless to say that the overall composition of this album is definitely, absolutely top class! By that time I was not aware any inclusion of orchestra in rock music composition (later I knew DEEP PURPLE's Concerto for Groups and Orchestra and JON LORD's Windows).

About this 2012 version

Thanks to Amazon UK who delivered my fanpack copy faster than I expected. The first impression about this is off course the package which is really excellent especially the Classic Rock magz that describe the whole story about this seminal work from Rick Wakeman. Having read the story I realized that Journey was supposed to be the first solo album by Wakeman. But due to lucrative investment cost he then recorded the Six Wives first until it reached commercial success and used the proceeding to finance the recorded live version in 1974.

On the content of the CD itself I am pleased to hear the introductory narration by Peter Egan as the original narrator died in 2003. It's OK with this new one even though the powerful word of " the Hansbach!" is different in energy than the original version (sounded much more dynamic than the current one). The overture is really beautiful it is now recorded in digital era, the sound production is quite clear. I am really disappointed when the female voice starts to enter the music - it's really the lowest point of this version. It's nt that I don't like female voice but she does not sing charismatically so the music tends to be mellow like typical pop song.

The high point of this new version is when the album reaches The Battle - Cumulus Clouds - The Story - The Cemetary. For those who love this album I guarantee that you would like this new version better when it comes to The Battle. Oh man ... I love the dynamics of this piece as it starts wonderfully with Rick's inventive keyboard work. For some reason, I find this new version is much more compelling than the 1974 version. The keyboard solo is much more dynamic and it makes me really hooked with this piece. I keep repeating this piece when it reaches The Battle. I love the parts where it reaches SAVE ME ... SAVE ME ...as well as PRAISE GOD ...PRAISE GOD! Oh maaaaannn ....this is really a real progrock music! Yeah! Not only that, there is an addition 1 minute piece at the end of The Battle and its transition piece. It's sooooo wonderful I tell you! The narration part in Cumulus Clouds is really beautiful. The Story demonstrates great keyboard solo by Rick and it fits beautifully with The Battle. It then flows to The Cemetery (narration) nicely.

This is for sure an excellent addition to any prog music collection. Keep on proggin' ..!!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#875593) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 14, 2012

Review by Zitro
4 stars A very strong effort that modernizes the music, develops it, addresses some of the original's failings while introducing new flaws that prevents this from getting 5 stars from me.

Chances are, if you are a member of this site, you may be familiar with Wakeman putting 'Journey to the Center of the Earth' to music. He did not have the resources nor support to record this idea in a studio. Having it recorded live was risky but still a good decision as this is the album that brought him fame outside of Yes. The album is exciting, passionate, classically beautiful. The album is also poorly mixed, the performance from the orchestra is not too great, Wakeman plays the synthesizer too often, and he brought mediocre singers who were off-key at times.

Enter a remake nearly 40 years later that tries well to address these flaws. The sound quality is crystal clear, it is properly mixed, boasts a more professional orchestra, has a more restrained Wakeman with a more varied palette of keyboard tones, and even introduces two songs. So why not 5 stars?

_The narration, while having superior background music, can't stand up to the original: David Hemmins was simply more exciting to listen to.

_The music is too perfect and loses some of its dynamics and excitement. Not to the extent of being soulless, but think of how inspired young Wakeman was when recording live a 40 minute long composition surrounded by an orchestra! Similarly, some of the flaws from the original had their charm (more on that later) Is it just me? My father feels the same way.

_Synthesizers. I know I also considered them a strength earlier in the review, but they sometimes sound a bit sterile and just adequate. Remember the fiery synthesizer in the beginning of "The Battle" and "The Storm"? The 'liquid' synthesizer in Hansbach? Well ... they're gone.

Given lack of many reviews, I'm going to compare this album with the original in detail

* Preface - Overture: I would remove the spoken word intro and head straight to the music. I forgive it as when the music starts, it is as majestic as it could ever get with the improved orchestra. Rick Wakeman restrained his playing but kept the original synthesizer sounds in important parts of the overture.

* Journey's Dawn: A female singer? She has a rich, warm voice and it surely makes the album sound more accessible and mainstream. Do you miss the terribly off-key vocal outro of the original? Beautiful, if modern, synthesizer solo upfront in the mix.

*Crystals - Gothic Cathedral - A Quest for Water: Lots of narration, I miss the original ('they called the stream - the HANSBACH!'. On the other hand, the orchestra in 'Cathedral' is more layered and utterly beautiful. Quest for Water sounds very renaissance.

*The Hansbach - Fervent Prayer: Nice retro synthesizers that sound better than the 'underwater- sounding' originals and with a rockier rhythm instead of just bass guitar. The original visual of the running stream gets lost. The orchestra-driven 2nd half with twinkling piano and the following narration track sounds far superior.

*The Recollection - Lost & Found: The reprise of Journey's Dawn was brought earlier and makes sense in my opinion. Ashley Holt's singing sounds on-key and quite acceptable! Amazing outro with choirs and retro synthesizers and more impeccable orchestra during the narration. Very beautiful. *Echoes: The first of the new songs. A quality pop song somewhat inspired by Andrew Lloyd Webber. Sandra sings mainstream melodies on the first minute with harmonically layered instrumentation. An uplifting chorus with loud strings and guitars follows and leads to an outstanding synthesizer solo. This is good.

*The Reunion: Great rocking tune! Guitar and drums dominate in a heavier fashion than the original. Solo dominates and sounds more hard rock/metal than the prog-rock shredding of the original. The incredibly badly mixed clavichord got replaced by a softer harpsichord playing as a rhythm to great female choral arrangements. I might personally prefer the choppier guitar solo of the original but this is a great remake.

*A New Vista - A World Within a World: modern keyboards with narration giving way to bombastic orchestration for a minute and then more restrained arrangenements.. Puts the original to shame.

*The Battle - Cumulus Clouds: Where's that fiery synthesizer? It leaves a void in the song. The song sure rocks hard, the orchestra riff doesn't sound sloppy now, the choirs are so dense. It's a matter of preference which version you prefer. You do get two nice synthesizer solos stretching out the song to nearly 6 minutes. The clavichord at the end got replaced by heavy strings. I do miss its heavily processed sound to it.

*The Storm: His 90s synthesizer is back and is rather out of place. A shame because the actual notes he plays would be so exciting with the retro synthesizers. I like the updated choirs and the guitar and the end, but this song is nevertheless a misfire because it fails to invoke visuals of a storm. It's just a cool jam. On the other hand, I love how 'The Cemetery' blends in violins with male choirs.

*Quaternary Man: My personal favorite of the new songs. With retro-sounding keyboards, Strawberry- Fields-Mellotron, and a simple percussion line (reminiscent of 'And You and I'), he created a rather hypnotic ambient soundscape. Sandra sings descending and ascending melodies in the verses and pre-choruses, respectively. The choruses make the orchestra sound catchy. Another pop song? Not necessarily with its extended instrumental section with guitar solos that sound like Yes' Steve Howe. The synthesizer solo is a bit too high-pitched for me. The latter minutes are great as they reintroduce Sandra and heavy use of choirs. Strawberry-Fields Mellotron end the song.

*The Cemetery - Mastodons: These are the narrative pieces in between Quaternary Man. I love how violins blend with male choirs in both pieces.

*The Forest: This song is actually rather listenable! I would prefer Sandra to sing the softer first half but Ashley captures the spirit of the original and sings a bit better. This is almost like a remastered version than a remake as I find it hard to tell differences other than sound quality.

*Ages of Man - The Tunnel - Hall of the Mountain King: Bassline of 'The Storm' comes back during this narration piece with mellotron embellishes. Wakeman sure listened to a lot of 'Strawberry Fields' during the time of the recording. The basis of 'Ages of Man' is developed in 'The Tunnel' and he plays one of his more energetic solos in the album. The 'porno-sounding' guitars are thankfully replaced by distorted metal chords. The Hall of the Mountain King starts well, has more 'strawberry fields mellotrons', and then lets the orchestra go nuts. Ends too soon and excludes the synthesizer playing on top. Shame as it had lots of potential if it went on for only 20 more seconds.

*Mount Edna: Just outstanding, and he actually isn't afraid of using retro synthesizers here. That and the powerful orchestra make a very fitting finale.

Send comments to Zitro (BETA) | Report this review (#1012141) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 06, 2013

4 stars Rick Wakeman's 2012 re-recording of his 1974 masterpiece was always going to be a hard sell to me. When the 1974 album was released, I lay awake in bed with a transistor radio beside my pillow to listen to my local rock radio station's midnight broadcast. The following year, when Rick Wakeman tou ... (read more)

Report this review (#904931) | Posted by Ajay | Saturday, February 02, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The original Journey to the centre of the earth is undoubtely one of the best progressive albums of all time. But I remember that Wakeman admitted that in those agitated years he didn't had the time and money to record with a full symphonic orchestra, so he opted to record the album live, sacrifi ... (read more)

Report this review (#880614) | Posted by fmatah | Sunday, December 23, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of RICK WAKEMAN "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth"