JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH

Search RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth tabs

...
- Rick Wakeman
- Peter Egan / narrator

completely re-recorded, extended (Classic Rock, 2012)

Thanks to tendst for the addition

RICK WAKEMAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth Music

Journey to the Centre of the EarthJourney to the Centre of the Earth
Fontana a&M 1990
Rick Wakeman's Criminal RecordRick Wakeman's Criminal Record
Real Gone Music 2014
The Myths & Legends Of King Arthur & The Knights Of The Round TableThe Myths & Legends Of King Arthur & The Knights Of The Round Table
A&M 1990
Return to the Centre of the EarthReturn to the Centre of the Earth
Write Notes 2014
Aspirant SunriseAspirant Sunrise
President Records 1996
RICK WAKEMAN Aspirant Sunrise 11 track CD SEALED Yes US $16.26 Buy It Now 40m 25s
RICK WAKEMAN Tribute (to The Beatles) 11 track CD SEALED Yes US $19.56 Buy It Now 40m 30s
Classic Tracks [Hot] by Rick Wakeman (NEW SEALED CD) ROCK US $2.00 Buy It Now 41m 1s
RICK WAKEMAN - Journey to the Centre of the Earth | Audiophile Master Edition LP US $19.99 Buy It Now 48m 45s
2 1/2" Diameter 1970's Rick Wakeman No Earthly Connection Metal Pin Badge US $3.18 [0 bids]
57m 10s
WHITE ROCK Soundtrack LP - Rick Wakeman A&M Orig. US $6.00 Buy It Now 58m 48s
A Suite of Gods, Rick Wakeman, Ramon Remedios (President 1988) made in England US $5.95 [0 bids]
58m 58s
RICK WAKEMAN COUNTRY AIRS ULTRA RARE AUSSIE CASSETTE TAPE! US $14.31 Buy It Now 2h 20m
RICK WAKEMAN & THE NEW ENGLISH ROCK ENSEMBLE - OUT THERE CD (USA SHIPPING 8$) US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 42m
RICK WAKEMAN KING ARTHUR Tested 8 Track Tape New Pad & Splice US $3.19 Buy It Now 2h 54m
RICK WAKEMAN LP "Journey..Center Of the Earth" 1974 vg+ US $7.46 Buy It Now 3h 14m
Classic Tracks [Hot] by Rick Wakeman (CD, Jan-2008, Fabric Records) US $7.00 [0 bids]
*PROMO* Rick Wakeman - White Rock (mono-stereo), A&M 1937 45 rpm single US $5.75 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman The Six Wives Of Henry VIII: Live At Hampton Court P CD US $6.05 Buy It Now 4h 8m
FABIO ZUFFANTI Merlin The Rock Opera 2CD Reissue PROG (Finisterre, Rick Wakeman) US $26.99 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman - Animal Showdown/Sea Horses - 1979 Spanish Picture Sleeve PS 7" US $14.99 [0 bids]
rick wakeman live cd 2000 EMI Capiol music US $6.00 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN: The Six Wives of Henry VIII (rock vinyl LP SP-4361) US $12.00 Buy It Now 5h 33m
RICK WAKEMAN: Journey To The Centre Of The Earth rock US $11.00 Buy It Now 5h 35m
Rick Wakeman The Six Wives of Henry VIII LP NM/EX 1st Press Gatefold SP-4361 US $5.99 Buy It Now 5h 38m
Rick Wakeman & Stealers Wheel - Blind Faith/Anne.. - French Picture Sleeve PS 7" US $8.99 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN's Criminal Record 1977 1st UK issue 8-TR STILL SEALED! Yes US $14.95 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman-The Six Wives of Henry VIII (86 560 IT) Made in Germany US $9.95 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman 'White Rock' 8-track 1977 CD. Japanese release. Rare item US $7.99 [1 bids]
Rick Wakeman-Journey to the Centre of the Earth (SP-3621) Gatefold with Booklet US $7.50 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman - Rick Wakeman-The Very Best [CD New] US $13.99 Buy It Now 6h 57m
Live At Hammersmith/Rick Wakeman/YES/new cd US $24.00 Buy It Now 6h 59m
The Caped Collection by Rick Wakeman/2 cd new/YES US $14.99 Buy It Now 6h 59m
Live (USD) /Rick Wakeman/YES/new cd US $12.00 Buy It Now 7h
Almost Live in Europe/Rick Wakeman/YES/new cd US $9.98 Buy It Now 7h 2m
RICK WAKEMAN: 1984 (rock & pop vinyl LP) US $25.00 Buy It Now 7h 13m
King Biscuit Flower Hour Presents In Concert by Rick Wakeman (CD) US $7.99 Buy It Now 8h
RICK WAKEMAN VINYL journey to the center of the Earth LP booklet ExEx 1974 US $23.99 Buy It Now 8h 51m
RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Center Of The Earth US A&M QUADROPHONIC LP exc vinyl US $21.00 Buy It Now 8h 58m
Rick Wakeman G'Ole! Stella Bianca 2000 CD RARE RUSSIAN RELEASE CD-Maximum US $19.94 Buy It Now 9h 2m
LISZTOMANIA ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK RICK WAKEMAN / ROGER DALTRY VINYL L.P. ~ US $8.74 Buy It Now 9h 23m
RICK WAKEMAN-NO EARTHLY CONNECTION-ORIG.ITALIAN LP 1976 US $16.00 Buy It Now 9h 27m
Progressive Rock Anthems CD Rick Wakeman Flower Kings Nektar Patrick Moraz YES US $3.99 [0 bids]
SEALED - Rick Wakeman - Lisztomania LP record album - 1975 - soundtrack - NM US $12.99 Buy It Now 14h 6m
RICK WAKEMAN Six Wives of Henry VIII LP G/F A&M EX/EX US $4.81 Buy It Now 14h 35m
RICK WAKEMAN myths and legends of king arthur PPSP 4515 portuguese LP PS EX/VG+ US $17.22 Buy It Now 15h 10m
RICK WAKEMAN journey to the centre of the earth AMLH 63621 LP PS EX/EX gatefold US $14.66 Buy It Now 15h 10m
RICK WAKEMAN the six wives of henry viii AMLH 64361 uk a&m LP PS EX/EX US $14.66 Buy It Now 15h 10m
RICK WAKEMAN journey to the centre of the earth AMLH 63621 A1B1 1st LP PS VG+/EX US $14.66 Buy It Now 15h 11m
RICK WAKEMAN the 6 wives of henry viii AMLH 64361 translucent red LP PS EX+/EX US $16.75 Buy It Now 15h 14m
RICK WAKEMAN journey to the centre of the earth AMLH 63621 A1B1 1st LP PS EX+/EX US $14.66 Buy It Now 15h 14m
RICK WAKEMAN THE MYTH AND LEGEND OF KING AUTHUR & THE KNIGHTS OF ROUND TABLE CD US $4.99 Buy It Now 15h 52m
Owner of a Lonely Heart by Yes Family, Rick Wakeman, Steve Howe and Jon Anderson US $4.88 Buy It Now 16h 3m
Rick Wakeman Criminal Record 8 Track Tape TESTED US $6.00 Buy It Now 16h 16m
@ CD Rick Wakeman - Out There MASCOT RECORDS 2003 US $9.99 Buy It Now 16h 40m
YES (Two GATEFOLD albums) The Yes Album AND Close To The Edge (Rick Wakeman) US $34.00 [0 bids]
17h
No Earthly Connection (1976) / the Cost of Living (1983) by Rick Wakeman CD US $11.95 Buy It Now 17h 21m
RICK WAKEMAN No Earthly Connection +inner sleeve A&M 1976 US $14.66 Buy It Now 17h 45m
RICK WAKEMAN ex YES - Rhapsodies - 2 Lp set - A&M SP 6501 - 2 Lps US $9.99 Buy It Now 18h 19m
Rick Wakeman: The Classical Connection CD (1991) US $4.95 [2 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN The Six Wives Of Henry VIII UK vinyl LP EXCELLENT CONDITION 8th US $13.03 Buy It Now 19h 2m
RICK WAKEMAN:LIVE US $8.14 Buy It Now 19h 26m
RICK WAKEMAN - MAGAZINE CUTTING (FULL PAGE ADVERT) (REF MD) US $7.34 Buy It Now 19h 27m
PROGRESSIVE ROCK-WALLY-WALLY-CD-2008-PRODUCED BY RICK WAKEMAN US $9.77 Buy It Now 19h 51m
Forever Gold by Rick Wakeman (2CD) US $5.99 Buy It Now 19h 52m
RICK WAKEMAN Myths & Legends of King Arthur 1975 A&M GF LP SP-4515 NEAR MINT US $12.95 [0 bids]
20h
RICK WAKEMAN Criminal Record 1977 UKvinyl LP EXCELLENT CONDITION US $12.22 Buy It Now 20h
RICK WAKEMAN~~THE MYTHS & LEGENDS OF KING ARTHUR US $6.99 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman: LIVE AT HAMMERSMITH LP sealed US $21.00 Buy It Now 20h 21m
Rick Wakeman: THE FAMILY ALBUM LP Sealed UK Gatefold US $21.00 Buy It Now 20h 21m
LP Record Rick Wakeman " White Rock " SP-4614 US $4.99 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN Country Airs LP new age prog Yes piano solos VG++/VG++ US $8.00 Buy It Now 20h 35m
The Six Wives Of Henry VIII / Silent Nights Rick Wakeman CD US $9.95 Buy It Now 20h 36m
Rick Wakeman . The Six Wives Of Henry VIII Live At Hampton Court 180 Gram Vinyl US $17.99 Buy It Now 20h 52m
Rick Wakeman - Aspirant Sunrise [CD New] US $14.07 Buy It Now 20h 59m
"PHANTOM POWER." (COMPOSED & ARRANGED RICK WAKEMAN) CD. US $8.89 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman/Criminal Record/1977 A&M LP/EX US $8.14 Buy It Now 21h 16m
Rick Wakeman-1984.LP US $11.42 Buy It Now 21h 17m
King Biscuit Flower Hour by Rick Wakeman (CD, Feb-1996, King Biscuit... US $7.00 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman ?Crimes Of Passion Original Motion Picture Soundtrack lp vinyl US $24.99 Buy It Now 22h
Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre Of The Earth - CD-4 Quadraphonic US $14.99 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN: White Rock LP (punch hole, sl cw) Rock & Pop US $12.00 Buy It Now 23h
Rick Wakeman - Softsword (King John and the Magna Carta, 2014) US $9.77 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman ?- Country Airs - Piano Solos NAGE 10CD (CD) US $16.29 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN LP NO EARTHLY CONNECTION uk a&m 64583 1st press EX+ US $16.31 Buy It Now 23h 35m
Rick Wakeman Journey To The Centre Of The Earth 12" Booklet A&M 1974 Excellent US $2.99 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman -- The Myths and Legends of King Arthur - LP-- NEAR MINT W/ Booklet US $12.00 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman No Earthly Connection LP Ex condition. Orig A&M AMLK64583 A1/B/ US $4.88 [0 bids]
The Family Album by Rick Wakeman CD 1987 President Records US $7.99 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN -JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF EARTH LP- BOOKLET US $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Classic Tracks [Hot] by Rick Wakeman (CD, Jan-2008, Fabric (London)) US $1.29 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman 'Swedish Television Special 1980' 58 minute CD. Rare item US $7.99 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman (plus others) 'Collage II' 1992 8-track CD US $3.49 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman 'Live' 2000 8-track CD US $3.99 [0 bids]
AL STEWART ORANGE 1992 UK BGO CD 154 RICK WAKEMAN/ BOB DYLAN: I DONT BELIEVE YOU US $14.99 [0 bids]
CD Rick Wakeman - Live In Nottingham (Ultra Rare Brazil Edition - Hard To Find) US $16.99 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman The Six Wives of Henry VIII LP RECORD 33 RPM US $6.99 [0 bids]
LISZTOMANIA OST LP A&M SP 4546 US Rick Wakeman WHO 1975 SEALED M US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN / Yes ( 6 WIVES of HENRY VIII ) gatefold PROG vinyl LP w/ bonus tix US $15.95 Buy It Now 1 day
CRIMES OF PASSION (score by Rick Wakeman for the Ken Russell film) US $10.00 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN (former YES member) THEMES British Import CD / NEW / SEALED US $6.99 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman - The Myths and Legends Of King Arthur - 1975 gatefold LP US $7.15 Buy It Now 1 day
Rick Wakeman The Six Wives of Henry VIII a Landmark Album Listen to a Track Here US $7.95 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN - 2 VINYL LP ALBUMS - GOOD CONDITION US $10.00 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN Birdman Of Alcatraz 45 Rock A&M Near-Mint PROMO #516 US $16.00 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy RICK WAKEMAN music online Buy RICK WAKEMAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for RICK WAKEMAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth ratings distribution

RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth reviews

Review by Fitzcarraldo
3 stars In 1975 I gave away my copy of the original 1974 LP of "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth" and never bothered to replace it, as I found the music too 'commercial' for my taste and parts of the performance sub par. Actually, listening to the 1974 album again now on YouTube, it is certainly no masterpiece and I find it corny and cheesy in places. To make matters worse, some of the singing was poor, especially ASHLEY HOLT's strained and often out-of-tune vocals. Furthermore, I'm not a huge fan of live albums (the 1974 release was a recording of a concert in the Royal Festival Hall) as I find the occasional imperfections and crowd noise rather irritating. There are exceptions, of course, but generally I prefer a studio-recorded album (even if a group puts a track down live in the studio, it's usually better than a concert recording).

So why did I fork out my hard-earned cash now for this 2012 reboot by RICK WAKEMAN? Curiosity, mainly. I wanted to see if he had improved on the 1974 original. I was also interested to hear if the singing would be better than the, at times, dire singing on the original (I had hoped, in vain as it turns out, that ASHLEY HOLT would not be singing on the 2012 album). Furthermore, the prospect of hearing the parts of the work not included in the 1974 performance was also a factor. And, finally, I was interested to hear a polished studio recording of the work rather than a recording of a live performance.

So, what is the new release like, then?

I can't say I've changed my mind about the music itself: it's as commercial-sounding and corny as on the original album. In fact, some of the added parts sound even more commercial, that feeling reinforced in places by the vocals of HALEY SANDERSON. Yes, a female vocalist participates this time, singing the parts originally performed by GARY PICKFORD-HOPKINS as well as singing the newly-added songs. Don't get me wrong, she has a lovely voice, but RICK WAKEMAN's mainstream melodies coupled with her vibrato singing style at times are more middle-of-the-road or pop than progressive rock ('Journey's Dawn' and especially 'Echoes' are pure ANDREW LLOYD WEBER to me, for example). Mind you, I would rather listen to her than ASHLEY HOLT. To be fair, his singing on this studio album is much better than on the recording pressed onto the 1974 LP, but I do wish RICK WAKEMAN had used someone else.

DAVID HEMMINGS, the narrator on the 1974 album, died in 2003. His distinctive voice was one of the better things on that album, but PETER EGAN, another British actor, does a credible job on this reboot as he also has a clear, pleasant voice with some gravitas. He could perhaps have injected a little more awe into the narration, but it's fine.

I have to say that the studio recording is good; the music sounds crisp and well-played. The orchestration is also good, and the synthesizer sounds are there too. The booklet containing the CD just lists RICK WAKEMAN's instruments as 'keyboards', without specifying the makes and models. My guess is that most -- perhaps all -- were digital rather than the analogue keyboards he played in 1974. Whatever they were, they sound good to this synthesizer fan. Overall, then, I prefer this reboot to the original live recording. I suppose my musical tastes have mellowed over the years as well, so the more-commercial sound does not grate as much as it did back in 1974.

The accompanying 130-page Classic Rock special and replica of the 1974 tour programme make interesting reading. Classic Rock magazine are to be commended for releasing this CD and associated 'album fanpack', and I very much hope it is a commercial success and brings the music to a new audience, not just to the old guard.

By the way, there are a few short pauses (track changes?) when I play the Audio CD on my Audio CD player in the lounge, but it plays seamlessly in the optical drive on my laptop so I assume the problem lies with my stand-alone CD player rather than the Audio CD.

I'll be hanging on to the album this time, but I can't say "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth" is essential or even particularly important to own if you are a fan of progressive rock. Unless, that is, you collect also for a historical perspective, in which case it is as much a piece of the 1970s as 'Close To The Edge', albeit nowhere near as good. But it is quite fun and, let's face it, you can hum or whistle along to this stuff. My rating for the original 1974 album was 2 stars (Collectors/fans only) but I'm going to give this 2012 rehash 3 stars (Good, but not essential). Actually, were such a thing possible, I might even be tempted to bump that up to 3.5 stars to take into account its historical interest.

Send comments to Fitzcarraldo (BETA) | Report this review (#864710) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 22, 2012

Review by Gatot
4 stars in a big picture this new full-fledge version is a masterpiece work as it tells the whole story with excellent music composition and orchestration. However, it has a very low point on the use of female vocal that really disrupts everything. Fortunately not every vocal line uses female.

My view on original recorded live version (1974)

This album is a BIG thing for me personally. The first time I knew this album was the first period I was introduced to progressive rock world by my brother, Henky, who then was the radio broadcaster for Geronimo radio station based in Yogya, Central Java. That was the time of my "right-placed childhood" (ugh .. what is it? It's an antithesis of Marillion "mis"placed childhood as I was so fortunate that I had a great big brother who forced me to prog ). He just gave me a "naked" cassette with no title at all, sent to me in Madiun, a small town in East Java. I remember that the recording quality was very poor. And at that time I never heard any kind of music with a lot of narration like this album. But the cassette really BLEW me!!! I played it everyday almost 2 or 3 times and not knowing who the artist/band was. I finally realized the artist behind the cassette after I catch a compilation of songs produced by Prambors radio (Jakarta) in which an edited version of "Journey" was listed and yeah RICK WAKEMAN mannnnn!!! Wow .. no wonder! By that time I only knew RW through his involvement in YESsongs and Fragile.

I admire on the high quality standard of this recorded live album. It's so fascinating music that has always made my adrenalin EXPLODED when I listen to this album! I mean it, my friend. No joke at all for a man as great as Mr. Wakeman! He's the greatest keyboard player I have ever known in my life. Needless to say that the overall composition of this album is definitely, absolutely top class! By that time I was not aware any inclusion of orchestra in rock music composition (later I knew DEEP PURPLE's Concerto for Groups and Orchestra and JON LORD's Windows).

About this 2012 version

Thanks to Amazon UK who delivered my fanpack copy faster than I expected. The first impression about this is off course the package which is really excellent especially the Classic Rock magz that describe the whole story about this seminal work from Rick Wakeman. Having read the story I realized that Journey was supposed to be the first solo album by Wakeman. But due to lucrative investment cost he then recorded the Six Wives first until it reached commercial success and used the proceeding to finance the recorded live version in 1974.

On the content of the CD itself I am pleased to hear the introductory narration by Peter Egan as the original narrator died in 2003. It's OK with this new one even though the powerful word of " the Hansbach!" is different in energy than the original version (sounded much more dynamic than the current one). The overture is really beautiful it is now recorded in digital era, the sound production is quite clear. I am really disappointed when the female voice starts to enter the music - it's really the lowest point of this version. It's nt that I don't like female voice but she does not sing charismatically so the music tends to be mellow like typical pop song.

The high point of this new version is when the album reaches The Battle - Cumulus Clouds - The Story - The Cemetary. For those who love this album I guarantee that you would like this new version better when it comes to The Battle. Oh man ... I love the dynamics of this piece as it starts wonderfully with Rick's inventive keyboard work. For some reason, I find this new version is much more compelling than the 1974 version. The keyboard solo is much more dynamic and it makes me really hooked with this piece. I keep repeating this piece when it reaches The Battle. I love the parts where it reaches SAVE ME ... SAVE ME ...as well as PRAISE GOD ...PRAISE GOD! Oh maaaaannn ....this is really a real progrock music! Yeah! Not only that, there is an addition 1 minute piece at the end of The Battle and its transition piece. It's sooooo wonderful I tell you! The narration part in Cumulus Clouds is really beautiful. The Story demonstrates great keyboard solo by Rick and it fits beautifully with The Battle. It then flows to The Cemetery (narration) nicely.

This is for sure an excellent addition to any prog music collection. Keep on proggin' ..!!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#875593) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 14, 2012

Review by Zitro
4 stars A very strong effort that modernizes the music, develops it, addresses some of the original's failings while introducing new flaws that prevents this from getting 5 stars from me.

Chances are, if you are a member of this site, you may be familiar with Wakeman putting 'Journey to the Center of the Earth' to music. He did not have the resources nor support to record this idea in a studio. Having it recorded live was risky but still a good decision as this is the album that brought him fame outside of Yes. The album is exciting, passionate, classically beautiful. The album is also poorly mixed, the performance from the orchestra is not too great, Wakeman plays the synthesizer too often, and he brought mediocre singers who were off-key at times.

Enter a remake nearly 40 years later that tries well to address these flaws. The sound quality is crystal clear, it is properly mixed, boasts a more professional orchestra, has a more restrained Wakeman with a more varied palette of keyboard tones, and even introduces two songs. So why not 5 stars?

_The narration, while having superior background music, can't stand up to the original: David Hemmins was simply more exciting to listen to.

_The music is too perfect and loses some of its dynamics and excitement. Not to the extent of being soulless, but think of how inspired young Wakeman was when recording live a 40 minute long composition surrounded by an orchestra! Similarly, some of the flaws from the original had their charm (more on that later) Is it just me? My father feels the same way.

_Synthesizers. I know I also considered them a strength earlier in the review, but they sometimes sound a bit sterile and just adequate. Remember the fiery synthesizer in the beginning of "The Battle" and "The Storm"? The 'liquid' synthesizer in Hansbach? Well ... they're gone.

Given lack of many reviews, I'm going to compare this album with the original in detail

* Preface - Overture: I would remove the spoken word intro and head straight to the music. I forgive it as when the music starts, it is as majestic as it could ever get with the improved orchestra. Rick Wakeman restrained his playing but kept the original synthesizer sounds in important parts of the overture.

* Journey's Dawn: A female singer? She has a rich, warm voice and it surely makes the album sound more accessible and mainstream. Do you miss the terribly off-key vocal outro of the original? Beautiful, if modern, synthesizer solo upfront in the mix.

*Crystals - Gothic Cathedral - A Quest for Water: Lots of narration, I miss the original ('they called the stream - the HANSBACH!'. On the other hand, the orchestra in 'Cathedral' is more layered and utterly beautiful. Quest for Water sounds very renaissance.

*The Hansbach - Fervent Prayer: Nice retro synthesizers that sound better than the 'underwater- sounding' originals and with a rockier rhythm instead of just bass guitar. The original visual of the running stream gets lost. The orchestra-driven 2nd half with twinkling piano and the following narration track sounds far superior.

*The Recollection - Lost & Found: The reprise of Journey's Dawn was brought earlier and makes sense in my opinion. Ashley Holt's singing sounds on-key and quite acceptable! Amazing outro with choirs and retro synthesizers and more impeccable orchestra during the narration. Very beautiful. *Echoes: The first of the new songs. A quality pop song somewhat inspired by Andrew Lloyd Webber. Sandra sings mainstream melodies on the first minute with harmonically layered instrumentation. An uplifting chorus with loud strings and guitars follows and leads to an outstanding synthesizer solo. This is good.

*The Reunion: Great rocking tune! Guitar and drums dominate in a heavier fashion than the original. Solo dominates and sounds more hard rock/metal than the prog-rock shredding of the original. The incredibly badly mixed clavichord got replaced by a softer harpsichord playing as a rhythm to great female choral arrangements. I might personally prefer the choppier guitar solo of the original but this is a great remake.

*A New Vista - A World Within a World: modern keyboards with narration giving way to bombastic orchestration for a minute and then more restrained arrangenements.. Puts the original to shame.

*The Battle - Cumulus Clouds: Where's that fiery synthesizer? It leaves a void in the song. The song sure rocks hard, the orchestra riff doesn't sound sloppy now, the choirs are so dense. It's a matter of preference which version you prefer. You do get two nice synthesizer solos stretching out the song to nearly 6 minutes. The clavichord at the end got replaced by heavy strings. I do miss its heavily processed sound to it.

*The Storm: His 90s synthesizer is back and is rather out of place. A shame because the actual notes he plays would be so exciting with the retro synthesizers. I like the updated choirs and the guitar and the end, but this song is nevertheless a misfire because it fails to invoke visuals of a storm. It's just a cool jam. On the other hand, I love how 'The Cemetery' blends in violins with male choirs.

*Quaternary Man: My personal favorite of the new songs. With retro-sounding keyboards, Strawberry- Fields-Mellotron, and a simple percussion line (reminiscent of 'And You and I'), he created a rather hypnotic ambient soundscape. Sandra sings descending and ascending melodies in the verses and pre-choruses, respectively. The choruses make the orchestra sound catchy. Another pop song? Not necessarily with its extended instrumental section with guitar solos that sound like Yes' Steve Howe. The synthesizer solo is a bit too high-pitched for me. The latter minutes are great as they reintroduce Sandra and heavy use of choirs. Strawberry-Fields Mellotron end the song.

*The Cemetery - Mastodons: These are the narrative pieces in between Quaternary Man. I love how violins blend with male choirs in both pieces.

*The Forest: This song is actually rather listenable! I would prefer Sandra to sing the softer first half but Ashley captures the spirit of the original and sings a bit better. This is almost like a remastered version than a remake as I find it hard to tell differences other than sound quality.

*Ages of Man - The Tunnel - Hall of the Mountain King: Bassline of 'The Storm' comes back during this narration piece with mellotron embellishes. Wakeman sure listened to a lot of 'Strawberry Fields' during the time of the recording. The basis of 'Ages of Man' is developed in 'The Tunnel' and he plays one of his more energetic solos in the album. The 'porno-sounding' guitars are thankfully replaced by distorted metal chords. The Hall of the Mountain King starts well, has more 'strawberry fields mellotrons', and then lets the orchestra go nuts. Ends too soon and excludes the synthesizer playing on top. Shame as it had lots of potential if it went on for only 20 more seconds.

*Mount Edna: Just outstanding, and he actually isn't afraid of using retro synthesizers here. That and the powerful orchestra make a very fitting finale.

Send comments to Zitro (BETA) | Report this review (#1012141) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 06, 2013

4 stars Rick Wakeman's 2012 re-recording of his 1974 masterpiece was always going to be a hard sell to me. When the 1974 album was released, I lay awake in bed with a transistor radio beside my pillow to listen to my local rock radio station's midnight broadcast. The following year, when Rick Wakeman tou ... (read more)

Report this review (#904931) | Posted by Ajay | Saturday, February 02, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The original Journey to the centre of the earth is undoubtely one of the best progressive albums of all time. But I remember that Wakeman admitted that in those agitated years he didn't had the time and money to record with a full symphonic orchestra, so he opted to record the album live, sacrifi ... (read more)

Report this review (#880614) | Posted by fmatah | Sunday, December 23, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of RICK WAKEMAN "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth"