JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH

Search RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth tabs

...
- Rick Wakeman
- Peter Egan / narrator

completely re-recorded, extended (Classic Rock, 2012)

Thanks to tendst for the addition

RICK WAKEMAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth Music

A&M Records 1990
No Earthly ConnectionNo Earthly Connection
Remastered · Collector's Edition
Real Gone Music 2013
The Myths & Legends Of King Arthur & The Knights Of The Round TableThe Myths & Legends Of King Arthur & The Knights Of The Round Table
A&M 1990
Out of the Blue: Official Remastered VersionOut of the Blue: Official Remastered Version
Imports 2014
Live at the Empire Pool-King Arthur on IceLive at the Empire Pool-King Arthur on Ice
United States Dist 2014
Yes - BBC Sessions - 2xCD Set Czech Republic Issue Rare Not Promo Rick Wakeman US $17.99 [0 bids]
33m 34s
RICK WAKEMAN - Return To The Centre Of The Earth - Magazine Advertisment US $7.47 Buy It Now 37m 59s
Rick Wakeman - Six Wives of Henry VIII (1992) US $11.31 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Rick Wakeman 1984 LP (1981) NEAR MINT + original inner US $10.79 Buy It Now 2h 16m
RICK WAKEMAN -'Fields Of Green ''(25 AUGUST) CD ALBUM NEW/MINT US $18.75 Buy It Now 3h 18m
RICK WAKEMAN -'In The Nick Of Time - Live 2003 ''(25 AUGUST) CD ALBUM NEW/MINT US $18.75 Buy It Now 3h 20m
RICK WAKEMAN The Classic Tracks CD FIRST ED NEW sealed US $16.49 Buy It Now 3h 39m
RICK WAKEMAN rhapsodies AMLX 68508 uk a&m 1979 DOUBLE LP PS EX/EX gatefold US $14.93 Buy It Now 4h 2m
RICK WAKEMAN THE SIX WIVES OF RARE ISRAELI PRESS LP YES US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 5m
RICK WAKEMAN - KING ARTHUR AND THE KNIGHTS... CD *NEW* US $32.50 Buy It Now 4h 6m
RICK WAKEMAN. ANIMAL SHOWDOWN. RARE 7" PICTURE DISC US $9.95 Buy It Now 4h 29m
RICK WAKEMAN: The Six Wives of Henry VIII..1973..NM..Original US $21.00 Buy It Now 4h 32m
Rick Wakeman Bootleg Box Vol. 2 Live 5-CD Box Set NEW SEALED US $21.57 Buy It Now 4h 34m
Rick Wakeman - 'White Rock' UK A&M LP. Ex! US $9.95 Buy It Now 4h 47m
Rick Wakeman(Vinyl LP)White Rock Soundtrack-UK-AMLH 64614-A & M-Ex/Ex US $18.99 Buy It Now 5h 12m
RICK WAKEMAN LAS SEIS ESPOSAS DE ENRIQUE VIII - LP RECORD - URUGUAY US $8.00 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN CHARISMA LABEL LP RECORD Argentinien!! 1984 US $7.50 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN SIN CONECCION TERRENAL - LP RECORD - URUGUAY US $7.50 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman(Vinyl LP Gatefold)Journey to The Center-A & M-VG/VG US $12.99 Buy It Now 5h 31m
Rick Wakeman 'Return To The Centre Of The Earth' 1999 CD (2014 re-issue) US $7.99 [0 bids]
ALEXANDER MEZEK CLIFF RICHARD RICK WAKEMAN 1991 GERMANY CD single US $17.85 Buy It Now 6h 49m
RICK WAKEMAN GOLE CD MINI LP OBI US $15.34 Buy It Now 6h 52m
RICK WAKEMAN - 2 x CONCERT FLYERS US $4.97 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman Six Wives of Henry Eighth and Seawind Light the Light 2 LPs US $15.99 Buy It Now 7h 42m
Rick Wakeman-Journey To The Center Of The Earth US $3.00 Buy It Now 7h 43m
Rick Wakeman Journey to the Center of the Earth sealed MFSL 200g mint numbered US $149.99 Buy It Now 8h 13m
2014 Rick Wakeman Journey To The Centre Of The Earth 2 LP 180 Gram Vinyl NEW US $35.00 Buy It Now 8h 29m
Rick Wakeman-The Six Wives of Henry VIII (86 560 IT) Made in Germany US $12.95 Buy It Now 8h 33m
Rick Wakeman-Journey to the Centre of the Earth (SP-3621) Gatefold with Booklet US $9.95 Buy It Now 9h
RICK WAKEMAN birdman of alcatraz 7" WS EX/- uk a&m records AMS 7435 US $11.61 Buy It Now 9h 8m
RICK WAKEMAN - LIVE AT THE MALTINGS 1976 (CD+DVD) - RICK002CD US $24.38 Buy It Now 9h 27m
Rick Wakeman - Ultimate Rick Wakeman Experience [CD New] US $14.71 Buy It Now 9h 38m
Rick Wakeman Journey To The Centre Of Earth Rock RECORD Album LP Vinyl FREE SHIP US $8.00 Buy It Now 9h 45m
Giltrap,Gordon & Rick Wakeman - From Brush & Stone [CD New] US $14.89 Buy It Now 9h 47m
Original Members Of Yes by Rick Wakeman - CD / 9 Tracks US $7.50 Buy It Now 10h 32m
Rick Wakeman - CD - No Earthly Connection US $11.03 [7 bids]
Rick Wakeman - Softsword - ESOTERIC ISSUE (REMASTERED CD NEW SEALED) 2014 ISSUE US $6.74 [3 bids]
NETHERLANDS press RICK WAKEMAN Gole 1982 World Cup Soundtrack LP Charisma INNER US $29.99 Buy It Now 10h 51m
RICK WAKEMAN : JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH (GATEFOLD) (SP3621) - RARITIES US $4.49 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN Journey to the Centre of the Earth LP OOP US $2.99 Buy It Now 11h 36m
ROGER DALTREY~RICK WAKEMAN USA DJ 7" 45 ORPHEUS SONG~LOBE'S DREAM on A US $7.20 Buy It Now 11h 48m
RICK WAKEMAN, JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH, LP US $9.96 Buy It Now 11h 54m
Rick Wakeman - The Myths And Legends of King Arthur - A & M Vinyl LP VG+/VG+ US $3.74 [0 bids]
12h
Rick Wakeman - Out Of The Blue (CD 2014) NEW US $13.29 [0 bids]
12h
Rick Wakeman - Softsword (CD 2014) NEW US $13.29 [0 bids]
Lisztomania - ROGER DALTREY & RICK WAKEMAN - German 1975 UK A&M Vinyl LP US $41.50 Buy It Now 12h 19m
QUADRAPHONIC RICK WAKEMAN "THE MYTHS & LEGENDS OF" QUAD 8 TRACK TAPE US $31.85 Buy It Now 12h 24m
Rick Wakeman The 6 Wives Of Henry VIII 1973 LP Vinyl NM- W/ Biography SP-4361 US $11.99 Buy It Now 12h 25m
RICK WAKEMAN criminal record A&M SP 4660 VG+++ PS 12" US $9.00 Buy It Now 13h 35m
RICK WAKEMAN "KING ARTHUR" 1975 12" VINYL ALBUM GATEFOLD SLEEVE WITH BOOKLET US $3.30 [0 bids]
STRAWBS-ORIGINAL FULL PAGE ADVERT TOUR DATES N DEADLINES -11.3.1978-RICK WAKEMAN US $3.65 [0 bids]
2014 Rick Wakeman Return To The Centre Of The Earth 2 LP 180 Gram Vinyl NEW US $35.00 Buy It Now 13h 57m
JON ANDERSON~RICK WAKEMAN~LIVE IN CONCERT THE LIVING TREE~PART 1~ CD~UK IMPORT US $24.99 Buy It Now 14h 5m
2012 Rick Wakeman The Six Wives Of Henry The VIII 2 LP 180 gram Vinyl NEW SEALED US $37.50 Buy It Now 14h 8m
RICK WAKEMAN No Earthly Connection Vinyl LP A&M SP-4583 1978 US $16.59 Buy It Now 14h 19m
RICK WAKEMAN JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH QUADRAPHONIC US $4.99 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN - AFRICAN BACH - NEW CD US $10.90 Buy It Now 14h 57m
SLOGANS MUSIC FANZINE NO 15 - YES - RICK WAKEMAN - RUSH - HAZE - IQ US $33.20 Buy It Now 15h 6m
RICK WAKEMAN & THE NEW ENGLISH ROCK ENSEMBLE - OUT THERE CD (USA SHIPPING 8$) US $8.00 Buy It Now 15h 28m
RICK WAKEMAN THE SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII 1973 SP 4361 LP US $4.95 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman Rhapsodies 12" Dble LP Record 1979 Copy PROMO UK Import AMLX 68508 US $14.99 Buy It Now 17h 57m
YES LP - TORMATO - W/STEVE HOWE, RICK WAKEMAN! "RELEASE, RELEASE" -FREE DOM. S US $6.25 Buy It Now 18h 27m
Live [CEMA] by Rick Wakeman (CD, Apr-2000, EMI-Capitol Special Markets) US $1.99 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN VINYL journey to the center of the Earth LP booklet ExEx 1974 US $18.99 [0 bids]
Return to the Centre of the Earth - Rick Wakeman - LIKE NEW (CD, 1999, EMI... US $8.89 Buy It Now 20h 8m
Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Center of the Earth US $6.99 Buy It Now 20h 21m
SEALED RICK WAKEMAN: The Six Wives Of Henry VIII LP A&M RECORDS SP4361 US 1973 US $71.99 Buy It Now 21h 45m
RICK WAKEMAN JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH, YUGOSLAV LP US $12.00 Buy It Now 22h 12m
Rick Wakeman/Journey To The Center Of The Earth US $4.99 Buy It Now 22h 27m
RICK WAKEMAN THE SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII RARE LP! VG++ COVER/VG+ VINYL 1ST PRESS US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN "THE SIX WIVES OF HENRY V111" AUST LP US $9.34 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN 12" VINYL LP THE COST OF LIVING CHARISMA CAS 1163 1983 A1U / B1U US $18.19 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN-GREATEST HITS-2 CD SET-MADE IN FRANCE-1996-KEYBOARD PLAYER WITH YES US $14.96 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN LIVE AT HAMMERSMITH 1990 JAPAN CD OBI 2800yen JIM US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN The Myths&Legends of King Arthur JAPAN LP w/Obi+12p BOOKLET GP-230 US $39.99 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN The Six Wives of Henry VIII JAPAN LP w/Obi+INSERT GP255 YES Free SH US $39.99 [0 bids]
Promo! RICK WAKEMAN No Earthly Connection JAPAN LP w/Obi+Mirror Cylinder GP2002 US $49.99 [0 bids]
1974 A&M LP Record SP-3621 Rick Wakeman Journey to the Center of the Earth G X6 US $12.95 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN TIME MACHINE 1990 JAPAN CD OBI 2800yen JIM 1ST PRESS US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN - White Rock Soundtrack ~ Vinyl LP US $6.63 Buy It Now 1 day
1977 - RICK WAKEMAN - Criminal Record - Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $14.93 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN (OF YES) white rock AMLH 64614 A1/B1 uk a&m 1st press LP PS VG+/EX US $14.93 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN IN CONCERT SAN FRANCISCO 1975 JAPAN CD OBI 2000yen SRCS 1ST PRESS US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN - THE SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII: LIVE AT HAMPTON COURT - NEW CD US $12.43 Buy It Now 1 day
Rick Wakeman - Out There - Official Remastered Edition (NEW CD) US $18.67 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN_myths legends king arthur the_used cassette_ships from AUSTRALIA! US $11.22 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH LP*US US $18.71 Buy It Now 1 day
listomania OST 1975 LP-rick wakeman , roger daltrey- made in israel- mint vinyl US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN ~ 1984,UK vinyl LP Charisma records 1981 US $10.78 Buy It Now 1 day
8 TRACK TAPES - RICK WAKEMAN - THE SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII US $2.91 [0 bids]
YES GOING FOR THE ONE W/STICKER RICK WAKEMAN ORIGINAL RARE EXYUGO LP US $81.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN - JOURNEY [RICK WAKEMAN] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $4.47 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN gospels LP 16 track double (smr729) uk stylus 1987 US $14.91 Buy It Now 1 day
Rick Wakeman No Earthly Connection Japan Promo White Label LP w OBI Yes Strawbs US $99.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Rare RICK WAKEMAN Yes LIVE ON STAGE In Concert THAI Thailand 7"45 EP single PS#5 US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN No Earthly Connection CLIFF RICHARD Thailand THAI 7" EP single PS#6 US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN - GOLE!-JAPAN Ltd Ed ISSUE MINI LP CD Fi83 US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
YES - TORMATO D/Rem CD w/BONUS Trx ~ RICK WAKEMAN *NEW* US $11.93 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN - MY INSPIRATION [RICK WAKEMAN] [CD BOXSET] [2 - NEW CD BOXSET US $16.10 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN -THE BURNING-JAPAN MINI LP CD Fi83 US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy RICK WAKEMAN music online Buy RICK WAKEMAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for RICK WAKEMAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth ratings distribution

RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth reviews

Review by Fitzcarraldo
3 stars In 1975 I gave away my copy of the original 1974 LP of "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth" and never bothered to replace it, as I found the music too 'commercial' for my taste and parts of the performance sub par. Actually, listening to the 1974 album again now on YouTube, it is certainly no masterpiece and I find it corny and cheesy in places. To make matters worse, some of the singing was poor, especially ASHLEY HOLT's strained and often out-of-tune vocals. Furthermore, I'm not a huge fan of live albums (the 1974 release was a recording of a concert in the Royal Festival Hall) as I find the occasional imperfections and crowd noise rather irritating. There are exceptions, of course, but generally I prefer a studio-recorded album (even if a group puts a track down live in the studio, it's usually better than a concert recording).

So why did I fork out my hard-earned cash now for this 2012 reboot by RICK WAKEMAN? Curiosity, mainly. I wanted to see if he had improved on the 1974 original. I was also interested to hear if the singing would be better than the, at times, dire singing on the original (I had hoped, in vain as it turns out, that ASHLEY HOLT would not be singing on the 2012 album). Furthermore, the prospect of hearing the parts of the work not included in the 1974 performance was also a factor. And, finally, I was interested to hear a polished studio recording of the work rather than a recording of a live performance.

So, what is the new release like, then?

I can't say I've changed my mind about the music itself: it's as commercial-sounding and corny as on the original album. In fact, some of the added parts sound even more commercial, that feeling reinforced in places by the vocals of HALEY SANDERSON. Yes, a female vocalist participates this time, singing the parts originally performed by GARY PICKFORD-HOPKINS as well as singing the newly-added songs. Don't get me wrong, she has a lovely voice, but RICK WAKEMAN's mainstream melodies coupled with her vibrato singing style at times are more middle-of-the-road or pop than progressive rock ('Journey's Dawn' and especially 'Echoes' are pure ANDREW LLOYD WEBER to me, for example). Mind you, I would rather listen to her than ASHLEY HOLT. To be fair, his singing on this studio album is much better than on the recording pressed onto the 1974 LP, but I do wish RICK WAKEMAN had used someone else.

DAVID HEMMINGS, the narrator on the 1974 album, died in 2003. His distinctive voice was one of the better things on that album, but PETER EGAN, another British actor, does a credible job on this reboot as he also has a clear, pleasant voice with some gravitas. He could perhaps have injected a little more awe into the narration, but it's fine.

I have to say that the studio recording is good; the music sounds crisp and well-played. The orchestration is also good, and the synthesizer sounds are there too. The booklet containing the CD just lists RICK WAKEMAN's instruments as 'keyboards', without specifying the makes and models. My guess is that most -- perhaps all -- were digital rather than the analogue keyboards he played in 1974. Whatever they were, they sound good to this synthesizer fan. Overall, then, I prefer this reboot to the original live recording. I suppose my musical tastes have mellowed over the years as well, so the more-commercial sound does not grate as much as it did back in 1974.

The accompanying 130-page Classic Rock special and replica of the 1974 tour programme make interesting reading. Classic Rock magazine are to be commended for releasing this CD and associated 'album fanpack', and I very much hope it is a commercial success and brings the music to a new audience, not just to the old guard.

By the way, there are a few short pauses (track changes?) when I play the Audio CD on my Audio CD player in the lounge, but it plays seamlessly in the optical drive on my laptop so I assume the problem lies with my stand-alone CD player rather than the Audio CD.

I'll be hanging on to the album this time, but I can't say "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth" is essential or even particularly important to own if you are a fan of progressive rock. Unless, that is, you collect also for a historical perspective, in which case it is as much a piece of the 1970s as 'Close To The Edge', albeit nowhere near as good. But it is quite fun and, let's face it, you can hum or whistle along to this stuff. My rating for the original 1974 album was 2 stars (Collectors/fans only) but I'm going to give this 2012 rehash 3 stars (Good, but not essential). Actually, were such a thing possible, I might even be tempted to bump that up to 3.5 stars to take into account its historical interest.

Send comments to Fitzcarraldo (BETA) | Report this review (#864710) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 22, 2012

Review by Gatot
4 stars in a big picture this new full-fledge version is a masterpiece work as it tells the whole story with excellent music composition and orchestration. However, it has a very low point on the use of female vocal that really disrupts everything. Fortunately not every vocal line uses female.

My view on original recorded live version (1974)

This album is a BIG thing for me personally. The first time I knew this album was the first period I was introduced to progressive rock world by my brother, Henky, who then was the radio broadcaster for Geronimo radio station based in Yogya, Central Java. That was the time of my "right-placed childhood" (ugh .. what is it? It's an antithesis of Marillion "mis"placed childhood as I was so fortunate that I had a great big brother who forced me to prog ). He just gave me a "naked" cassette with no title at all, sent to me in Madiun, a small town in East Java. I remember that the recording quality was very poor. And at that time I never heard any kind of music with a lot of narration like this album. But the cassette really BLEW me!!! I played it everyday almost 2 or 3 times and not knowing who the artist/band was. I finally realized the artist behind the cassette after I catch a compilation of songs produced by Prambors radio (Jakarta) in which an edited version of "Journey" was listed and yeah RICK WAKEMAN mannnnn!!! Wow .. no wonder! By that time I only knew RW through his involvement in YESsongs and Fragile.

I admire on the high quality standard of this recorded live album. It's so fascinating music that has always made my adrenalin EXPLODED when I listen to this album! I mean it, my friend. No joke at all for a man as great as Mr. Wakeman! He's the greatest keyboard player I have ever known in my life. Needless to say that the overall composition of this album is definitely, absolutely top class! By that time I was not aware any inclusion of orchestra in rock music composition (later I knew DEEP PURPLE's Concerto for Groups and Orchestra and JON LORD's Windows).

About this 2012 version

Thanks to Amazon UK who delivered my fanpack copy faster than I expected. The first impression about this is off course the package which is really excellent especially the Classic Rock magz that describe the whole story about this seminal work from Rick Wakeman. Having read the story I realized that Journey was supposed to be the first solo album by Wakeman. But due to lucrative investment cost he then recorded the Six Wives first until it reached commercial success and used the proceeding to finance the recorded live version in 1974.

On the content of the CD itself I am pleased to hear the introductory narration by Peter Egan as the original narrator died in 2003. It's OK with this new one even though the powerful word of " the Hansbach!" is different in energy than the original version (sounded much more dynamic than the current one). The overture is really beautiful it is now recorded in digital era, the sound production is quite clear. I am really disappointed when the female voice starts to enter the music - it's really the lowest point of this version. It's nt that I don't like female voice but she does not sing charismatically so the music tends to be mellow like typical pop song.

The high point of this new version is when the album reaches The Battle - Cumulus Clouds - The Story - The Cemetary. For those who love this album I guarantee that you would like this new version better when it comes to The Battle. Oh man ... I love the dynamics of this piece as it starts wonderfully with Rick's inventive keyboard work. For some reason, I find this new version is much more compelling than the 1974 version. The keyboard solo is much more dynamic and it makes me really hooked with this piece. I keep repeating this piece when it reaches The Battle. I love the parts where it reaches SAVE ME ... SAVE ME ...as well as PRAISE GOD ...PRAISE GOD! Oh maaaaannn ....this is really a real progrock music! Yeah! Not only that, there is an addition 1 minute piece at the end of The Battle and its transition piece. It's sooooo wonderful I tell you! The narration part in Cumulus Clouds is really beautiful. The Story demonstrates great keyboard solo by Rick and it fits beautifully with The Battle. It then flows to The Cemetery (narration) nicely.

This is for sure an excellent addition to any prog music collection. Keep on proggin' ..!!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#875593) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 14, 2012

Review by Zitro
4 stars A very strong effort that modernizes the music, develops it, addresses some of the original's failings while introducing new flaws that prevents this from getting 5 stars from me.

Chances are, if you are a member of this site, you may be familiar with Wakeman putting 'Journey to the Center of the Earth' to music. He did not have the resources nor support to record this idea in a studio. Having it recorded live was risky but still a good decision as this is the album that brought him fame outside of Yes. The album is exciting, passionate, classically beautiful. The album is also poorly mixed, the performance from the orchestra is not too great, Wakeman plays the synthesizer too often, and he brought mediocre singers who were off-key at times.

Enter a remake nearly 40 years later that tries well to address these flaws. The sound quality is crystal clear, it is properly mixed, boasts a more professional orchestra, has a more restrained Wakeman with a more varied palette of keyboard tones, and even introduces two songs. So why not 5 stars?

_The narration, while having superior background music, can't stand up to the original: David Hemmins was simply more exciting to listen to.

_The music is too perfect and loses some of its dynamics and excitement. Not to the extent of being soulless, but think of how inspired young Wakeman was when recording live a 40 minute long composition surrounded by an orchestra! Similarly, some of the flaws from the original had their charm (more on that later) Is it just me? My father feels the same way.

_Synthesizers. I know I also considered them a strength earlier in the review, but they sometimes sound a bit sterile and just adequate. Remember the fiery synthesizer in the beginning of "The Battle" and "The Storm"? The 'liquid' synthesizer in Hansbach? Well ... they're gone.

Given lack of many reviews, I'm going to compare this album with the original in detail

* Preface - Overture: I would remove the spoken word intro and head straight to the music. I forgive it as when the music starts, it is as majestic as it could ever get with the improved orchestra. Rick Wakeman restrained his playing but kept the original synthesizer sounds in important parts of the overture.

* Journey's Dawn: A female singer? She has a rich, warm voice and it surely makes the album sound more accessible and mainstream. Do you miss the terribly off-key vocal outro of the original? Beautiful, if modern, synthesizer solo upfront in the mix.

*Crystals - Gothic Cathedral - A Quest for Water: Lots of narration, I miss the original ('they called the stream - the HANSBACH!'. On the other hand, the orchestra in 'Cathedral' is more layered and utterly beautiful. Quest for Water sounds very renaissance.

*The Hansbach - Fervent Prayer: Nice retro synthesizers that sound better than the 'underwater- sounding' originals and with a rockier rhythm instead of just bass guitar. The original visual of the running stream gets lost. The orchestra-driven 2nd half with twinkling piano and the following narration track sounds far superior.

*The Recollection - Lost & Found: The reprise of Journey's Dawn was brought earlier and makes sense in my opinion. Ashley Holt's singing sounds on-key and quite acceptable! Amazing outro with choirs and retro synthesizers and more impeccable orchestra during the narration. Very beautiful. *Echoes: The first of the new songs. A quality pop song somewhat inspired by Andrew Lloyd Webber. Sandra sings mainstream melodies on the first minute with harmonically layered instrumentation. An uplifting chorus with loud strings and guitars follows and leads to an outstanding synthesizer solo. This is good.

*The Reunion: Great rocking tune! Guitar and drums dominate in a heavier fashion than the original. Solo dominates and sounds more hard rock/metal than the prog-rock shredding of the original. The incredibly badly mixed clavichord got replaced by a softer harpsichord playing as a rhythm to great female choral arrangements. I might personally prefer the choppier guitar solo of the original but this is a great remake.

*A New Vista - A World Within a World: modern keyboards with narration giving way to bombastic orchestration for a minute and then more restrained arrangenements.. Puts the original to shame.

*The Battle - Cumulus Clouds: Where's that fiery synthesizer? It leaves a void in the song. The song sure rocks hard, the orchestra riff doesn't sound sloppy now, the choirs are so dense. It's a matter of preference which version you prefer. You do get two nice synthesizer solos stretching out the song to nearly 6 minutes. The clavichord at the end got replaced by heavy strings. I do miss its heavily processed sound to it.

*The Storm: His 90s synthesizer is back and is rather out of place. A shame because the actual notes he plays would be so exciting with the retro synthesizers. I like the updated choirs and the guitar and the end, but this song is nevertheless a misfire because it fails to invoke visuals of a storm. It's just a cool jam. On the other hand, I love how 'The Cemetery' blends in violins with male choirs.

*Quaternary Man: My personal favorite of the new songs. With retro-sounding keyboards, Strawberry- Fields-Mellotron, and a simple percussion line (reminiscent of 'And You and I'), he created a rather hypnotic ambient soundscape. Sandra sings descending and ascending melodies in the verses and pre-choruses, respectively. The choruses make the orchestra sound catchy. Another pop song? Not necessarily with its extended instrumental section with guitar solos that sound like Yes' Steve Howe. The synthesizer solo is a bit too high-pitched for me. The latter minutes are great as they reintroduce Sandra and heavy use of choirs. Strawberry-Fields Mellotron end the song.

*The Cemetery - Mastodons: These are the narrative pieces in between Quaternary Man. I love how violins blend with male choirs in both pieces.

*The Forest: This song is actually rather listenable! I would prefer Sandra to sing the softer first half but Ashley captures the spirit of the original and sings a bit better. This is almost like a remastered version than a remake as I find it hard to tell differences other than sound quality.

*Ages of Man - The Tunnel - Hall of the Mountain King: Bassline of 'The Storm' comes back during this narration piece with mellotron embellishes. Wakeman sure listened to a lot of 'Strawberry Fields' during the time of the recording. The basis of 'Ages of Man' is developed in 'The Tunnel' and he plays one of his more energetic solos in the album. The 'porno-sounding' guitars are thankfully replaced by distorted metal chords. The Hall of the Mountain King starts well, has more 'strawberry fields mellotrons', and then lets the orchestra go nuts. Ends too soon and excludes the synthesizer playing on top. Shame as it had lots of potential if it went on for only 20 more seconds.

*Mount Edna: Just outstanding, and he actually isn't afraid of using retro synthesizers here. That and the powerful orchestra make a very fitting finale.

Send comments to Zitro (BETA) | Report this review (#1012141) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 06, 2013

4 stars Rick Wakeman's 2012 re-recording of his 1974 masterpiece was always going to be a hard sell to me. When the 1974 album was released, I lay awake in bed with a transistor radio beside my pillow to listen to my local rock radio station's midnight broadcast. The following year, when Rick Wakeman tou ... (read more)

Report this review (#904931) | Posted by Ajay | Saturday, February 02, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The original Journey to the centre of the earth is undoubtely one of the best progressive albums of all time. But I remember that Wakeman admitted that in those agitated years he didn't had the time and money to record with a full symphonic orchestra, so he opted to record the album live, sacrifi ... (read more)

Report this review (#880614) | Posted by fmatah | Sunday, December 23, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of RICK WAKEMAN "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth"