JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH

Search RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth tabs

...
- Rick Wakeman
- Peter Egan / narrator

completely re-recorded, extended (Classic Rock, 2012)

Thanks to tendst for the addition

RICK WAKEMAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth Music

Journey to the Centre of the EarthJourney to the Centre of the Earth
A&M Records 1988
Journey to the Centre of the EarthJourney to the Centre of the Earth
WRITE NOTES 2014
Journey to the Centre of the Earth:FanpackJourney to the Centre of the Earth:Fanpack
2012
Audio CD$339.15 (used)
Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Centre of the Earth (DVD + CD)Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Centre of the Earth (DVD + CD)
Classic Pictures 2002
DVD$60.03
Journey To The Centre Of The EarthJourney To The Centre Of The Earth
A&M
Vinyl$1.43 (used)
Journey to Centre of Earth (Shm-CD)Journey to Centre of Earth (Shm-CD)
Universal Japan/Zoom 2010
Journey To The Centre Of The EarthJourney To The Centre Of The Earth
A&M
Vinyl$12.25 (used)
Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Rick Wakeman [Music CD]Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Rick Wakeman [Music CD]
WRITE NOTES
Journey To The Centre Of The Earth LP - DJ White LabelJourney To The Centre Of The Earth LP - DJ White Label
A&M Records
Vinyl$8.99 (used)
Journey to the Centre of the Earth PlusJourney to the Centre of the Earth Plus
Classicprint UK 2003
YES RICK WAKEMAN / JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH 1974 JAPAN LP w/ OBI USD $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 42m
RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth LP 4 Track Gatefold With Booklet USD $8.74 Buy It Now 7h 43m
Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre Of The Earth VG+ USD $2.24 Buy It Now 8h 21m
RICK WAKEMAN-JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH 1974 A&M (SILVER LBL) SP 3621 LP USD $7.99 Buy It Now 11h 28m
Rick Wakeman JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH UK LP A1/B1 ONE PLAY EVER MINT!! USD $50.70 [4 bids]
Vintage Journey to the Centre of the Earth/Rick Wakeman Record USD $4.99 Buy It Now 13h 4m
RICK WAKEMAN JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF EARTH CD MFSL SILVER DISC RARE OOP USD $71.99 Buy It Now 14h 12m
RICK WAKEMAN - Journey to the Centre of the Earth 2-LP SEALED 180 gram vinyl USD $27.99 Buy It Now 15h 10m
Rick Wakeman Journey To The Center Of The Earth 8-Track Cassette Tape Record USD $2.95 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Center Of The Earth AMP-7049 JAPAN LP w/OBI l98542 USD $13.49 Buy It Now 22h 28m
RICK WAKEMAN JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH a&m A1B1 UK 1st pr Lp +booklet USD $10.74 Buy It Now 1 day
Rick Wakeman "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth" USD $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN LP Journey To The Center Of The Earth 1974 A+M yes USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
RICK WAKEMAN LP Journey To The Center Of The Earth 1974 A+M yes progrock USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
A2 - Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Center Of The Earth - GP226 - LP Vinyl Record USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman Journey To The Centre Of The Earth Cassette Tape Classic Rock Yes USD $1.54 Buy It Now 1 day
Rick Wakeman "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth" LP, 1974, A&M SP3621, NM USD $2.99 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH LP + BOOKLET A USD $9.20 Buy It Now 1 day
Journey to the Centre of the Earth ~ Rick Wakeman ~ 1974 Album ~ New CD USD $15.53 Buy It Now 1 day
Rick Wakeman Journey To Centre of Earth Music Cassette A&M Label (Paper Label) USD $7.67 Buy It Now 2 days
Rick Wakeman JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH gatefold LP 1974 Near Mint vinyl USD $12.28 Buy It Now 2 days
RICK WAKEMAN Journey to the Center of the Earth LP record gatefold LSO live 1974 USD $7.46 Buy It Now 2 days
RICK WAKEMAN, Vinyl LP, Journey to the center of the earth USD $3.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre Of The Earth, A&M AMLH-63621 Ex Condition USD $13.81 Buy It Now 2 days
rick wakeman - journey to the centre of the earth (US)1974 LP a&m gf, booklet USD $3.00 Buy It Now 2 days
RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Center Of The Earth LP A&M SP-3621 US 1974 VG++ WLP USD $15.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre Of The Earth (NEW VINYL LP) USD $28.73 Buy It Now 3 days
Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre Of The Earth - Vinyl LP USD $10.74 Buy It Now 3 days
*RARE* RICK WAKEMAN JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH 1974 LP RECORD ALBUM USD $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
RICK WAKEMAN - JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH , A&M 1974 , EX/M- ,LP USD $6.07 Buy It Now 3 days
RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth 1974 UK LP EXCELLENT CONDITION USD $15.35 Buy It Now 3 days
RICK WAKEMAN "NM WAX" Journey to The Center of The Earth GP-226 LP AQ1438 USD $0.99 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN Journey to the Center of the Earth GP-226 LP AQ0424 USD $0.99 [1 bids]
Rick Wakeman JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH A&M SP3621 W/Poster GF NM- USD $9.95 Buy It Now 3 days
Rick Wakeman Journey To The Centre Of The Earth 12" LP Complete Book EX A USD $7.44 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN Journey to the Centre of the Earth SP-3621 LP AP6477 USD $4.99 [0 bids]
Journey to the Centre of the Earth, Wakeman, Rick, New Live USD $5.91 Buy It Now 3 days
RICK WAKEMAN JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH LP USD $13.81 Buy It Now 4 days
EX CONDITION LP GATEFOLD COVER RICK WAKEMAN "JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH" USD $1.52 [0 bids]
Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Rick Wakeman (CD, Sep-2000, A USD $5.30 Buy It Now 4 days
RICK WAKEMAN JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH PAPER LABEL cassette album T527 USD $4.59 Buy It Now 4 days
ALBUM.rock.RICK WAKEMAN.1974.JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH.prog.BOOKLET. USD $3.06 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN journey to the centre of the earth AMLH 63621 uk a&m LP PS EX/EX USD $15.35 Buy It Now 4 days
RICK WAKEMAN Journey to The Center of The Earth GP-226 OBI LP AS4158 USD $7.99 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Center of the Earth LP A&M SP-3156 W/ BOOKLET USD $2.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Rick Wakeman's Journey to the Centre of the Earth LP gatefold vinyl exc cond USD $5.38 Buy It Now 4 days
Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Centre of the Earth on A&M Records GP-226, Japan USD $18.99 Buy It Now 4 days
WAKEMAN, RICK journey to the centre of the earth VG/VG UK AMLH636 | 14-0905-042 USD $19.49 Buy It Now 4 days
RICK WAKEMAN JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH LP MADE IN BRAZIL 1974 GATEFOLD USD $29.99 Buy It Now 5 days
RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth CD BRAND NEW USD $15.46 Buy It Now 5 days
RICK WAKEMAN, (YES) JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH, 1ST PR EX+ VINYL, SLEEVE USD $15.35 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman. Journey to the Centre of the Earth LP. A&M 63621. Exc Vinyl. USD $3.06 [0 bids]
LP RICK WAKEMAN, JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH 1974 YUGOSLAVIA USD $3.00 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman: Journey to the Centre of the Earth (Vinyl LP, 1974) USD $11.99 Buy It Now 5 days
RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth 1974 A&M CLASSIC PROG ROCK LP USD $14.00 Buy It Now 5 days
(RICK WAKEMAN-JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH)-Strawbs/Yes-J4-LP USD $21.78 Buy It Now 5 days
Rick Wakeman Journey To The Centre Of The Earth MFSL Aluminum Audiophile CD Mint USD $59.99 Buy It Now 5 days
RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth LP 4 Track Gatefold Booklet Slee USD $8.05 Buy It Now 6 days
RICK WAKEMAN , JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH "MOBILE FIDELITY" LP USD $225.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Centre of the Earth (MFSL 24kt Gold UDCD 633) USD $59.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre Of The Earth, A&M AMLH-63621 Ex- Condition. USD $3.84 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Center Of The Earth 1974 Cassette Psych Rock USD $3.00 Buy It Now 6 days
RICK WAKEMAN_Journey To The Centre Of The Earth_used Cassette_ships from AUS! USD $9.34 Buy It Now 7 days
Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre Of The Earth, A&M AMLH-63621 Ex- Condition USD $10.74 Buy It Now 7 days
RICK WAKEMAN-"Journey To The Center Of The Earth" Near Mint LP/A USD $4.95 Buy It Now 7 days
RICK WAKEMAN JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH SEALED CD NEW USD $3.48 Buy It Now 7 days
RICK WAKEMAN JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH ROYAL FESTIVAL LP ISRAEL USD $9.99 Buy It Now 7 days
6026 Rick Wakeman Journey To The Centre Of The Earth Ex Con USD $4.59 Buy It Now 7 days
Rick Wakeman Journey To Centre of Earth LIVE Music Cassette (paper Label) USD $7.67 Buy It Now 7 days
RICK WAKEMAN - CD - 'Journey To The Centre Of The Earth' - concert recording '74 USD $7.67 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre Of The Earth (NEW VINYL+CD BOX SET) USD $188.34 Buy It Now 8 days
RICK WAKEMAN-JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH-CD ADA/WRITEN NEW USD $14.19 Buy It Now 8 days
Rick Wakeman-Journey to the Centre of the Earth CD NEW USD $6.90 Buy It Now 8 days
Rick Wakeman: Journey To The Centre Of The Earth vinyl LP USD $7.67 Buy It Now 8 days
Rick Wakeman LP Journey To The Centre Of The Earth USD $12.29 Buy It Now 8 days
Rick Wakeman Journey To The Centre Of The Earth LP G/F attached booklet A USD $7.67 Buy It Now 8 days
CD - MFSL - Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Center Of The Earth - Original Master USD $30.00 Buy It Now 8 days
RICK WAKEMAN JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH INCL. THE JOURNEY VINYL LP USD $9.20 Buy It Now 8 days
RICK WAKEMAN - JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH + The SIX WIVES of HENRY VIII USD $10.74 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN ?"Journey To The Center Of The Earth" CD Russian Press RWCD 003 USD $5.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Vinyl Records Albums LP Music~RICK WAKEMAN~JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH USD $29.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Journey To The Centre Of The Earth-Rick Wakeman LP USD $12.21 Buy It Now 8 days
Rick Wakeman 'Journey To the Center of The Earth' LP Record USD $3.06 Buy It Now 8 days
RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Center Of The Earth MINI LP CD USD $16.14 Buy It Now 9 days
Rick Wakeman Journey to the Center of the Earth Record Album Condition Very Good USD $19.99 Buy It Now 9 days
RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth 1974 VG+ in shrink wrap USD $8.99 Buy It Now 9 days
*LIMITED EDITION BOXSET* Rick Wakeman "Journey To the Centre of the Earth" @2014 USD $129.99 Buy It Now 9 days
25 Rick Wakeman- Journey to The Centre of The Earth AMLH 63621 Album Advert Full USD $13.83 Buy It Now 9 days
RICK WAKEMAN journey to the centre of the earth USD $13.81 Buy It Now 10 days
Rick Wakeman: Journey To The Centre Of The Earth (2-LPs) USD $29.49 Buy It Now 10 days
RICK WAKEMAN CD - JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH (2014) - NEW UNOPENED USD $16.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre Of The Earth SHM 3164 UK LP 1974 USD $7.67 Buy It Now 10 days
RICK WAKEMAN LP JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH + booklet USD $13.06 Buy It Now 10 days
Rick Wakeman LP Journey To The Center Of The Earth Excel In & Out - Take A Look! USD $6.50 Buy It Now 10 days
RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth LP USD $6.23 Buy It Now 10 days
RICK WAKEMAN - JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH (U.S. SINGLE SLEEVE)EX VINYL USD $12.28 Buy It Now 11 days
PROG ROCK/ Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre Of The Earth (LP) USD $9.99 Buy It Now 11 days
Rick Wakeman Journey to the Centre of the Earth 2xLP sealed vinyl Yes USD $28.98 Buy It Now 11 days
Rick Wakeman Journey to Center of Earth SEALED 8 Track tape Yes Rock 70s' USD $24.99 Buy It Now 11 days
Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Rick Wakeman, David Hemmings USD $4.97 Buy It Now 11 days
0 result found for "RICK WAKEMAN"
Visit LPCDressisues.com for more results

More places to buy RICK WAKEMAN music online Buy RICK WAKEMAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for RICK WAKEMAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth ratings distribution

RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centre Of The Earth reviews

Review by Fitzcarraldo
3 stars In 1975 I gave away my copy of the original 1974 LP of "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth" and never bothered to replace it, as I found the music too 'commercial' for my taste and parts of the performance sub par. Actually, listening to the 1974 album again now on YouTube, it is certainly no masterpiece and I find it corny and cheesy in places. To make matters worse, some of the singing was poor, especially ASHLEY HOLT's strained and often out-of-tune vocals. Furthermore, I'm not a huge fan of live albums (the 1974 release was a recording of a concert in the Royal Festival Hall) as I find the occasional imperfections and crowd noise rather irritating. There are exceptions, of course, but generally I prefer a studio-recorded album (even if a group puts a track down live in the studio, it's usually better than a concert recording).

So why did I fork out my hard-earned cash now for this 2012 reboot by RICK WAKEMAN? Curiosity, mainly. I wanted to see if he had improved on the 1974 original. I was also interested to hear if the singing would be better than the, at times, dire singing on the original (I had hoped, in vain as it turns out, that ASHLEY HOLT would not be singing on the 2012 album). Furthermore, the prospect of hearing the parts of the work not included in the 1974 performance was also a factor. And, finally, I was interested to hear a polished studio recording of the work rather than a recording of a live performance.

So, what is the new release like, then?

I can't say I've changed my mind about the music itself: it's as commercial-sounding and corny as on the original album. In fact, some of the added parts sound even more commercial, that feeling reinforced in places by the vocals of HALEY SANDERSON. Yes, a female vocalist participates this time, singing the parts originally performed by GARY PICKFORD-HOPKINS as well as singing the newly-added songs. Don't get me wrong, she has a lovely voice, but RICK WAKEMAN's mainstream melodies coupled with her vibrato singing style at times are more middle-of-the-road or pop than progressive rock ('Journey's Dawn' and especially 'Echoes' are pure ANDREW LLOYD WEBER to me, for example). Mind you, I would rather listen to her than ASHLEY HOLT. To be fair, his singing on this studio album is much better than on the recording pressed onto the 1974 LP, but I do wish RICK WAKEMAN had used someone else.

DAVID HEMMINGS, the narrator on the 1974 album, died in 2003. His distinctive voice was one of the better things on that album, but PETER EGAN, another British actor, does a credible job on this reboot as he also has a clear, pleasant voice with some gravitas. He could perhaps have injected a little more awe into the narration, but it's fine.

I have to say that the studio recording is good; the music sounds crisp and well-played. The orchestration is also good, and the synthesizer sounds are there too. The booklet containing the CD just lists RICK WAKEMAN's instruments as 'keyboards', without specifying the makes and models. My guess is that most -- perhaps all -- were digital rather than the analogue keyboards he played in 1974. Whatever they were, they sound good to this synthesizer fan. Overall, then, I prefer this reboot to the original live recording. I suppose my musical tastes have mellowed over the years as well, so the more-commercial sound does not grate as much as it did back in 1974.

The accompanying 130-page Classic Rock special and replica of the 1974 tour programme make interesting reading. Classic Rock magazine are to be commended for releasing this CD and associated 'album fanpack', and I very much hope it is a commercial success and brings the music to a new audience, not just to the old guard.

By the way, there are a few short pauses (track changes?) when I play the Audio CD on my Audio CD player in the lounge, but it plays seamlessly in the optical drive on my laptop so I assume the problem lies with my stand-alone CD player rather than the Audio CD.

I'll be hanging on to the album this time, but I can't say "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth" is essential or even particularly important to own if you are a fan of progressive rock. Unless, that is, you collect also for a historical perspective, in which case it is as much a piece of the 1970s as 'Close To The Edge', albeit nowhere near as good. But it is quite fun and, let's face it, you can hum or whistle along to this stuff. My rating for the original 1974 album was 2 stars (Collectors/fans only) but I'm going to give this 2012 rehash 3 stars (Good, but not essential). Actually, were such a thing possible, I might even be tempted to bump that up to 3.5 stars to take into account its historical interest.

Send comments to Fitzcarraldo (BETA) | Report this review (#864710) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 22, 2012

Review by Gatot
4 stars in a big picture this new full-fledge version is a masterpiece work as it tells the whole story with excellent music composition and orchestration. However, it has a very low point on the use of female vocal that really disrupts everything. Fortunately not every vocal line uses female.

My view on original recorded live version (1974)

This album is a BIG thing for me personally. The first time I knew this album was the first period I was introduced to progressive rock world by my brother, Henky, who then was the radio broadcaster for Geronimo radio station based in Yogya, Central Java. That was the time of my "right-placed childhood" (ugh .. what is it? It's an antithesis of Marillion "mis"placed childhood as I was so fortunate that I had a great big brother who forced me to prog ). He just gave me a "naked" cassette with no title at all, sent to me in Madiun, a small town in East Java. I remember that the recording quality was very poor. And at that time I never heard any kind of music with a lot of narration like this album. But the cassette really BLEW me!!! I played it everyday almost 2 or 3 times and not knowing who the artist/band was. I finally realized the artist behind the cassette after I catch a compilation of songs produced by Prambors radio (Jakarta) in which an edited version of "Journey" was listed and yeah RICK WAKEMAN mannnnn!!! Wow .. no wonder! By that time I only knew RW through his involvement in YESsongs and Fragile.

I admire on the high quality standard of this recorded live album. It's so fascinating music that has always made my adrenalin EXPLODED when I listen to this album! I mean it, my friend. No joke at all for a man as great as Mr. Wakeman! He's the greatest keyboard player I have ever known in my life. Needless to say that the overall composition of this album is definitely, absolutely top class! By that time I was not aware any inclusion of orchestra in rock music composition (later I knew DEEP PURPLE's Concerto for Groups and Orchestra and JON LORD's Windows).

About this 2012 version

Thanks to Amazon UK who delivered my fanpack copy faster than I expected. The first impression about this is off course the package which is really excellent especially the Classic Rock magz that describe the whole story about this seminal work from Rick Wakeman. Having read the story I realized that Journey was supposed to be the first solo album by Wakeman. But due to lucrative investment cost he then recorded the Six Wives first until it reached commercial success and used the proceeding to finance the recorded live version in 1974.

On the content of the CD itself I am pleased to hear the introductory narration by Peter Egan as the original narrator died in 2003. It's OK with this new one even though the powerful word of " the Hansbach!" is different in energy than the original version (sounded much more dynamic than the current one). The overture is really beautiful it is now recorded in digital era, the sound production is quite clear. I am really disappointed when the female voice starts to enter the music - it's really the lowest point of this version. It's nt that I don't like female voice but she does not sing charismatically so the music tends to be mellow like typical pop song.

The high point of this new version is when the album reaches The Battle - Cumulus Clouds - The Story - The Cemetary. For those who love this album I guarantee that you would like this new version better when it comes to The Battle. Oh man ... I love the dynamics of this piece as it starts wonderfully with Rick's inventive keyboard work. For some reason, I find this new version is much more compelling than the 1974 version. The keyboard solo is much more dynamic and it makes me really hooked with this piece. I keep repeating this piece when it reaches The Battle. I love the parts where it reaches SAVE ME ... SAVE ME ...as well as PRAISE GOD ...PRAISE GOD! Oh maaaaannn ....this is really a real progrock music! Yeah! Not only that, there is an addition 1 minute piece at the end of The Battle and its transition piece. It's sooooo wonderful I tell you! The narration part in Cumulus Clouds is really beautiful. The Story demonstrates great keyboard solo by Rick and it fits beautifully with The Battle. It then flows to The Cemetery (narration) nicely.

This is for sure an excellent addition to any prog music collection. Keep on proggin' ..!!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#875593) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 14, 2012

Review by Zitro
4 stars A very strong effort that modernizes the music, develops it, addresses some of the original's failings while introducing new flaws that prevents this from getting 5 stars from me.

Chances are, if you are a member of this site, you may be familiar with Wakeman putting 'Journey to the Center of the Earth' to music. He did not have the resources nor support to record this idea in a studio. Having it recorded live was risky but still a good decision as this is the album that brought him fame outside of Yes. The album is exciting, passionate, classically beautiful. The album is also poorly mixed, the performance from the orchestra is not too great, Wakeman plays the synthesizer too often, and he brought mediocre singers who were off-key at times.

Enter a remake nearly 40 years later that tries well to address these flaws. The sound quality is crystal clear, it is properly mixed, boasts a more professional orchestra, has a more restrained Wakeman with a more varied palette of keyboard tones, and even introduces two songs. So why not 5 stars?

_The narration, while having superior background music, can't stand up to the original: David Hemmins was simply more exciting to listen to.

_The music is too perfect and loses some of its dynamics and excitement. Not to the extent of being soulless, but think of how inspired young Wakeman was when recording live a 40 minute long composition surrounded by an orchestra! Similarly, some of the flaws from the original had their charm (more on that later) Is it just me? My father feels the same way.

_Synthesizers. I know I also considered them a strength earlier in the review, but they sometimes sound a bit sterile and just adequate. Remember the fiery synthesizer in the beginning of "The Battle" and "The Storm"? The 'liquid' synthesizer in Hansbach? Well ... they're gone.

Given lack of many reviews, I'm going to compare this album with the original in detail

* Preface - Overture: I would remove the spoken word intro and head straight to the music. I forgive it as when the music starts, it is as majestic as it could ever get with the improved orchestra. Rick Wakeman restrained his playing but kept the original synthesizer sounds in important parts of the overture.

* Journey's Dawn: A female singer? She has a rich, warm voice and it surely makes the album sound more accessible and mainstream. Do you miss the terribly off-key vocal outro of the original? Beautiful, if modern, synthesizer solo upfront in the mix.

*Crystals - Gothic Cathedral - A Quest for Water: Lots of narration, I miss the original ('they called the stream - the HANSBACH!'. On the other hand, the orchestra in 'Cathedral' is more layered and utterly beautiful. Quest for Water sounds very renaissance.

*The Hansbach - Fervent Prayer: Nice retro synthesizers that sound better than the 'underwater- sounding' originals and with a rockier rhythm instead of just bass guitar. The original visual of the running stream gets lost. The orchestra-driven 2nd half with twinkling piano and the following narration track sounds far superior.

*The Recollection - Lost & Found: The reprise of Journey's Dawn was brought earlier and makes sense in my opinion. Ashley Holt's singing sounds on-key and quite acceptable! Amazing outro with choirs and retro synthesizers and more impeccable orchestra during the narration. Very beautiful. *Echoes: The first of the new songs. A quality pop song somewhat inspired by Andrew Lloyd Webber. Sandra sings mainstream melodies on the first minute with harmonically layered instrumentation. An uplifting chorus with loud strings and guitars follows and leads to an outstanding synthesizer solo. This is good.

*The Reunion: Great rocking tune! Guitar and drums dominate in a heavier fashion than the original. Solo dominates and sounds more hard rock/metal than the prog-rock shredding of the original. The incredibly badly mixed clavichord got replaced by a softer harpsichord playing as a rhythm to great female choral arrangements. I might personally prefer the choppier guitar solo of the original but this is a great remake.

*A New Vista - A World Within a World: modern keyboards with narration giving way to bombastic orchestration for a minute and then more restrained arrangenements.. Puts the original to shame.

*The Battle - Cumulus Clouds: Where's that fiery synthesizer? It leaves a void in the song. The song sure rocks hard, the orchestra riff doesn't sound sloppy now, the choirs are so dense. It's a matter of preference which version you prefer. You do get two nice synthesizer solos stretching out the song to nearly 6 minutes. The clavichord at the end got replaced by heavy strings. I do miss its heavily processed sound to it.

*The Storm: His 90s synthesizer is back and is rather out of place. A shame because the actual notes he plays would be so exciting with the retro synthesizers. I like the updated choirs and the guitar and the end, but this song is nevertheless a misfire because it fails to invoke visuals of a storm. It's just a cool jam. On the other hand, I love how 'The Cemetery' blends in violins with male choirs.

*Quaternary Man: My personal favorite of the new songs. With retro-sounding keyboards, Strawberry- Fields-Mellotron, and a simple percussion line (reminiscent of 'And You and I'), he created a rather hypnotic ambient soundscape. Sandra sings descending and ascending melodies in the verses and pre-choruses, respectively. The choruses make the orchestra sound catchy. Another pop song? Not necessarily with its extended instrumental section with guitar solos that sound like Yes' Steve Howe. The synthesizer solo is a bit too high-pitched for me. The latter minutes are great as they reintroduce Sandra and heavy use of choirs. Strawberry-Fields Mellotron end the song.

*The Cemetery - Mastodons: These are the narrative pieces in between Quaternary Man. I love how violins blend with male choirs in both pieces.

*The Forest: This song is actually rather listenable! I would prefer Sandra to sing the softer first half but Ashley captures the spirit of the original and sings a bit better. This is almost like a remastered version than a remake as I find it hard to tell differences other than sound quality.

*Ages of Man - The Tunnel - Hall of the Mountain King: Bassline of 'The Storm' comes back during this narration piece with mellotron embellishes. Wakeman sure listened to a lot of 'Strawberry Fields' during the time of the recording. The basis of 'Ages of Man' is developed in 'The Tunnel' and he plays one of his more energetic solos in the album. The 'porno-sounding' guitars are thankfully replaced by distorted metal chords. The Hall of the Mountain King starts well, has more 'strawberry fields mellotrons', and then lets the orchestra go nuts. Ends too soon and excludes the synthesizer playing on top. Shame as it had lots of potential if it went on for only 20 more seconds.

*Mount Edna: Just outstanding, and he actually isn't afraid of using retro synthesizers here. That and the powerful orchestra make a very fitting finale.

Send comments to Zitro (BETA) | Report this review (#1012141) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 06, 2013

3 stars oh my lord!!!! female vocal? came on...... by any doubt the album is not to bad , the new parts quite interesting... but the female vocal ? It has nothing to do with the music ! Problably i have listen for too much time the original album, one of my Rick's favorite, with all of his probl ... (read more)

Report this review (#1324821) | Posted by lampug | Tuesday, December 16, 2014 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Rick Wakeman's 2012 re-recording of his 1974 masterpiece was always going to be a hard sell to me. When the 1974 album was released, I lay awake in bed with a transistor radio beside my pillow to listen to my local rock radio station's midnight broadcast. The following year, when Rick Wakeman tou ... (read more)

Report this review (#904931) | Posted by Ajay | Saturday, February 02, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The original Journey to the centre of the earth is undoubtely one of the best progressive albums of all time. But I remember that Wakeman admitted that in those agitated years he didn't had the time and money to record with a full symphonic orchestra, so he opted to record the album live, sacrifi ... (read more)

Report this review (#880614) | Posted by fmatah | Sunday, December 23, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of RICK WAKEMAN "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth"