WHITE GODDESS

- Robert John Godfrey / keyboards
- Grant Jamieson / guitar
- Max Read / guitar, bass and choir
- Dave Storey / drums and percussion

CD: Mantella #MNTLCD15 (1998)
CD: Inner Sanctum ENID010CD (2002)

and to Fitzcarraldo for the last updates

THE ENID MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE ENID White Goddess Music

Aerie Faerie NonsenseAerie Faerie Nonsense
Operation Seraphim 2013
Something Wicked This Way ComesSomething Wicked This Way Comes
United States Dist 2002
In The Region Of The Summer StarsIn The Region Of The Summer Stars
Operation Seraphim 2013
THE ENID THE STAND 1985-1986 RARE TEN TRACK VINYL LP *NEAR MINT PLUS COLLECTABLE US $18.62 Buy It Now 36m 16s
THE ENID, UK 7" 45 WHEN YOU WISH UPON A STAR, Bronze 127, 1981, progressive US $9.00 Buy It Now 51m 4s
ENID THE TOUCH ME SIDE A CHARADES 1/4 SIDE B ALBION FAIR PARTS 1 AND 2 VINYL LP US $10.86 Buy It Now 1h 2m
THE ENID LIVE AT HAMMERSMITH VOL. II rare 1984 LP superb MINT- US $25.48 Buy It Now 6h 48m
ROBERT JOHN GODFREY / Fall Of Hyperion ?JAPAN CD Mini-LP w/OBI ?THE ENID US $38.50 Buy It Now 7h 22m
CD: Live at Town Hall Birmingham - Enid - 07-Nov-13 US $34.60 Buy It Now 7h 28m
Enid Mosier: Hi fi calypso LP 12" 12inch record album 6b US $12.00 Buy It Now 7h 47m
ENID KATAHN, pianist Ravel Bach Glinka '78 PEACETREE ORIG CLASSICAL LP RARE NMnt US $15.99 Buy It Now 8h 44m
Enid - Vol. 2-Live At Hammersmith CD US $21.59 Buy It Now 12h 37m
THE ENID (U.K.) - LIVE AT TOWN HALL, BIRMINGHAM [CD BOXSET] [2 - NEW CD BOXSET US $19.52 Buy It Now 19h 39m
ENID, THE live at hammersmith volume 1 VG/M- JAPAN K22P506 | 13-1227-010 US $29.99 Buy It Now 20h 33m
THE ENID ITCHYCOO PARK 12" SINGLE VG+ US $2.53 Buy It Now 22h 29m
The Enid Live UK Concert Tour May 2009 reproduction poster A5 bw US $25.48 Buy It Now 22h 30m
Keith & Enid "S/T" Reggae LP Trojan US $7.99 [0 bids]
The Enid - Salome (1986) Japan Mini LP CD (2006) +1 BONUS TRACK US $15.29 Buy It Now 1 day
COURT JESTER MUSIC FANZINE ISSUE 2 - IQ/SOLSTICE/PALLAS/THE ENID/MARILLION US $33.98 Buy It Now 1 day
THE ENID: LIVE AT TOWN HALL, BIRMINGHAM [REGION 1] - NEW DVD US $19.37 Buy It Now 1 day
SEALED RARE Enid Katahn, pianist 78 Peacetree Classical US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ENID MOSIER - HI-FI CALYPSO ETC. - LP US $20.69 Buy It Now 1 day
ENID -40TH ANNIVERSARY BOX SET-JAPAN 2 CD+DVD Ri38 US $94.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE ENID itchycoo park EDITL 3314 uk sedition 1986 12" PS EX/EX US $15.95 Buy It Now 1 day
THE ENID touch me NSPH 18593 uk pye LP PS VG/VG+ US $13.58 Buy It Now 1 day
THE ENID Japan Mini LP CD with OBI, SIX PIECES US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Enid Arise and Shine CD Album SIGNED (J6) US $16.98 Buy It Now 1 day
ENID, The - Invicta - gatefold 2xLP US $37.15 Buy It Now 1 day
THE ENID 'Dambusters March/Land Of Hope & Glory' 1979 UK 7"/45 single - BLUE WAX US $8.48 Buy It Now 1 day
BARENAKED LADIES: GORDON[ GRADE 9,BRIAN WILSON,BE MY YOKO ONO,$1,000,000,ENID++] US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ENID GOLDEN EARRINGS / OMEGA UK EMI DEMO 1977 PROG//ROCK US $8.48 Buy It Now 2 days
ENID-AERIE FAERIE NONSENSE-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD BONUS TRACK Hi25 US $41.99 Buy It Now 2 days
THE ENID Robert John Godfrey fall of hyperion JAPAN mini lp CD US $37.99 [0 bids]
THE ENID six pieces JAPAN mini lp CD SEALED US $36.99 [0 bids]
THE ENID the stand 1984 & 1985 JAPAN mini lp 2 CD SEALED US $36.99 [0 bids]
THE ENID spell JAPAN mini lp CD PROG SEALED US $34.99 [0 bids]
ENID-IN THE REGION OF SUMMER STARS-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD BONUS TRACK Hi25 US $41.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ENID-TOUCH ME-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD BONUS TRACK Hi25 US $41.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ENID Dambusters March 7" Blue Vinyl, Ps, Orig 1979 Ltd Edition, B/W The Skyeboa US $11.88 Buy It Now 2 days
ENID: In The Region Of The Summer Stars LP (cut corner) Rock & Pop US $25.00 Buy It Now 2 days
THE ENID Aerie Faerie Nonsense PROG SIWAN CD SEALED US $17.99 Buy It Now 2 days
NODDY ON HIS TRAVELS:told by-ENID BLYTON:EP:45RPM 7" 7EG 8493:EMI RECORDS US $10.82 Buy It Now 2 days
THE ENID Touch Me Vtg 1980`s 25mm Button Pin Badge TE.105 US $5.08 Buy It Now 2 days
THE ENID 'LIVE AT HAMMERSMITH VOLUME II' UK LP US $15.28 Buy It Now 2 days
THE ENID 'LIVE AT HAMMERSMITH VOLUME I' UK LP US $15.28 Buy It Now 2 days
THE ENID 'TOUCH ME' UK LP US $13.58 Buy It Now 2 days
THE ENID Live At Hammersmith Volume 1 Ex+ Self Pressed 1979 UK LP US $16.98 Buy It Now 2 days
The Enid - Aerie Faerie Nonsense (NEW CD) US $14.86 Buy It Now 2 days
The Enid - In The Region Of The Summer Stars (NEW CD) US $14.86 Buy It Now 2 days
The Enid - Six Pieces (The Enid Self-released) UK 1ST CD ENID CD4 RARE US $27.74 Buy It Now 2 days
Enid Katahn SEALED Piano Lp Keys PeaceTree Scarlatti Ravel Joaquin Nin Chopin US $14.95 [0 bids]
Enid Blyton - Noddy and Big Ears Go Shopping 1950s 78 rpm Record HMV BD 1297 US $8.48 Buy It Now 3 days
Enid, The - Salome JAPAN MINI LP CD SEALED US $9.99 [0 bids]
Live at Hammersmith Vol.1 by The Enid JAPAN MINI LP CD SEALED US $9.99 [1 bids]
The Enid - The Stand Volume 1 (1984) - ENID018CD US $11.37 Buy It Now 3 days
The Enid - The Stand Volume 2 (1985) - ENID019CD US $10.98 Buy It Now 3 days
ENID - IN THE REGION OF SUMMER STARS - ENID020CD US $16.46 Buy It Now 3 days
ENID - AERIE FAERIE NONSENSE - ENID021CD US $16.46 Buy It Now 3 days
The Enid - Something Wicked This Way Comes - ENID035CD US $21.62 Buy It Now 3 days
THE ENID Final Noise JAPAN MINI LP CD NEW SEALED US $9.99 [0 bids]
the enid live at hammersmith volume 2 private pressing vinyl lp enid 2 US $42.48 Buy It Now 3 days
Enid Cruickshank Sink, Red Sun & A Request 12" 78 UK US $6.95 Buy It Now 3 days
The Enid-Aerie Faerie Nonsense UK prog cd US $21.99 Buy It Now 3 days
cd: ENID - ENID US $3.98 Buy It Now 3 days
THE ENID Journey's End CD Top U.K. Symph. Prog Rock, Orig. 2010 Version US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Enid Katahn piano Moving Up Bach/Chopin + Signed Peacetree LP private NM- US $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
The Enid In the Region of Summer Stars Buk Records Prog / Psych LP US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Enid Mosier & Her Trinidad Steel Band Hi Fi Calypso Columbia 928 6-Eye PROMO LP US $4.99 [0 bids]
The Enid - Aerie Faerie Nonsense LP Dutch NM Ariola 25699 XOT US $15.00 Buy It Now 3 days
ENID MOSIER No Cover, No Minimum '56 DECCA 1st Press ORIG JAZZ SOUL LP RARE NM US $23.99 Buy It Now 3 days
UK fan club press THE ENID Stand LP limited edition RARE OOP US $49.99 Buy It Now 3 days
KEITH AND ENID SEND ME BLUE BEAT UK ORIG SHUFFLE SKA ERA CLASSIC! US $11.46 Buy It Now 3 days
THE ENID IN THE REGION OF SUMMER STARS 1984 VINYL LP* NEAR MINT VINYL EX SLEEVE US $15.22 Buy It Now 3 days
THE ENID "IM THE REGION OF THE SUMMER STARS" LP BUK 52001 PROG 1976 US $4.99 [0 bids]
THE ENID - TOUCH ME , PYE 1979 , VG++/EX ,LP US $8.42 Buy It Now 4 days
ENID - IN THE REGION OF THE SUMMER STARS - EWCD16 US $14.84 Buy It Now 4 days
EX/EX- !! The Enid/The Liverpool Album/1984 RARE Self Released LP US $187.01 Buy It Now 4 days
KEITH AND ENID - Sacred Vow 7' 1963 DICE Listen US $5.10 [0 bids]
Enid : Dambusters March/Land of Hope and Glory : Blue Vinyl 7" Pye 1979 US $6.78 Buy It Now 4 days
THE ENID-"ITCHYCOO PARK" EXTENDED VERSION-NEW 1986 U.K. ISSUE 12" SINGLE US $6.99 [0 bids]
ENID nachtgedanken CD CCP RECORDS 10193-2 US $26.00 Buy It Now 4 days
THE ENID - THE WORD FANZINE ISSUE NO 3 CHRISTMAS 1985 US $25.48 Buy It Now 4 days
THE ENID - THE WORD FANZINE NO 2 SUMMER 1985 US $25.48 Buy It Now 4 days
Con tu presencia - Wanda Enid - CD US $9.98 Buy It Now 4 days
Steve Hillage The Enid Vibrators Wilko Johnson live Marquee 1978 poster print A5 US $25.48 Buy It Now 4 days
THE ENID "NM WAX" Live At Hammersmith Vol.1 K22P-506 OBI LP n3820 US $379.99 Buy It Now 4 days
KEITH & ENID (7" Vinyl)EVERYTHING WILL BE ALL RIGHT / WORRIED OVER YOU-Jamaica-V US $13.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Enid Blyton : Noddy Has An Adventure : Vinyl Album Happy Songs To Sing US $11.54 Buy It Now 4 days
Enid Blyton : Here Comes Noddy Again : Vinyl Album : Transatlantic : EB(LC) 4001 US $11.54 Buy It Now 4 days
Enid Blyton : Five Go Adventuring Again : Vinyl Album : Super Tempo : STMP 9028 US $11.54 Buy It Now 4 days
THE ENID (U.K.) - TRIPPING THE LIGHT FANTASTIC - NEW CD US $15.52 Buy It Now 5 days
ROY & ENID-Reggae For Days / SOUND DIMENSIONS-Holy Moses - UK Coxsone 7" - 1969 US $21.25 [2 bids]
THE ENID-THE STAND-ORIGINAL JAPANESE LP 1984+INSERT+OBI-PROGRESSIVE/SYMPH ROCK US $24.00 Buy It Now 5 days
ENID - Salome - Excellent Condition 7" Single Wonderful Music Company ENID 7999 US $6.78 Buy It Now 5 days
Enid-Enid - The Enid Live At Town Hall, Bi... DVD NEW US $21.12 Buy It Now 5 days
Enid-Enid - Live At Hammersmith Odeon *Pal* DVD NEW US $21.12 Buy It Now 5 days
Barenaked Ladies Hits One Week Brian Wilson Pinch Me It's All Been Done Enid US $4.95 Buy It Now 5 days
THE ENID- an alternative history vol 1. (2 CD) (japanese mini Lp) US $45.99 Buy It Now 5 days
THE ENID- final noise (japanese mini Lp) US $32.99 Buy It Now 5 days
THE ENID- live at hammersmith vol II (Mini Lp) US $32.99 Buy It Now 5 days
THE ENID- tripping the light fantastic (japanese mini Lp) US $32.99 Buy It Now 5 days
THE ENID- salome (japanese mini Lp) US $32.99 Buy It Now 5 days
THE ENID- the spell (japanese mini Lp) US $32.99 Buy It Now 5 days

More places to buy THE ENID music online Buy THE ENID & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE ENID DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE ENID White Goddess ratings distribution

THE ENID White Goddess reviews

Review by lor68
4 stars Actually you should have to erase an half star at least, whenever I like to compare it to their previous strong works, cause of a different impact and a return to such already used "formula" as well, concerning the contamination between a sort of "Classical Music" and a mixed Classic Rock...well I want to refer my opinion to some creative albums like for example "Tripping The Light Fantastic" or that one- much older- entitled "Something wicked This Way Comes", which represented a new "road" to be runned within the "Progressive Scene":these latter albums, especially "Tripping The Light Fantastic" (dated 1994), were very different in comparison to the present one and also to their typical theatrical manner of introducing such Symphonic music to a crowd of common fans (those ones, I mean, not involved into this Symphonic/Theatrical Rock genre);but at the end- of course- you have to appreciate their music and to be quiet!!In fact their taste is always remarkable and, despite of not being regarded by the critics as a very creative or original band, during their new "proposal", their music is worth checking out at least. However The Enid are an immortal band and certainly you can hate or love their music: personally I like their stuff, but it depends on your tastes obviously...make your own choice anyway!!

Send comments to lor68 (BETA) | Report this review (#25911) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 02, 2004

Review by Fitzcarraldo
4 stars This is the last original album released by THE ENID to date. Recorded in 1997, it was released in 1998 by Mantella Records and re-released in 2002 by Inner Sanctum. According to the sleeve notes this is an album with an ecological theme, although I couldn't have worked that out from the music itself. The list of people credited with inspiring the music includes Robert Graves, so I suppose the album title came from his book The White Goddess, but I see the white goddess as Gaia.

For those of you who are not familiar with the music of THE ENID, it's unique: a small group of rock musicians with Robert John Godfrey as the cornerstone and very much at the helm (talk about mixed metaphors!), using predominantly modern instruments but coming out with something that sounds similar to classical music played by a symphony orchestra. Godfrey is a wiz at using synthesizers and piano to this end. Not only that, but the compositions often follow classical music styles; just look at the titles of the tracks on this album: 'Fantasy', 'Waltz', 'Ballade', 'Nocturne' etc. But the group is not trying to be a classical orchestra, nor is it trying to parody one (well, not in a nasty way, anyway). And, lest you get the wrong idea, this is not classical music: the electric and bass guitars and the drums often play an important part.

I very much enjoy the 1977 "Aerie Faerie Nonsense", which I admit is OTT (intentionally so, I believe) and camp, but also unique and often delightful. The music on "White Goddess" is immediately recognisable if you're familiar with "Aerie Faerie Nonsense", but is not as camp and feels more measured. I won't say all the tracks are outstanding or memorable, but all of them are enjoyable and the album is a worthy follow-up to the group's early albums. That's quite something after more than 20 years. If you liked the early stuff you'll like this one too. And if you didn't like "Aerie Faerie Nonsense" you may well like this one, as it's more measured and mature. In fact, I think this album would be a better place to start if you've never heard anything by THE ENID.

There may not be (m)any jump-for-joy moments, but I think the whole package makes for enjoyable listening. If you're into Symphonic Progressive Rock and classical music then you may well like this album. If you like the early THE ENID albums then you certainly will. I'm going for 4 stars (excellent addition to any progressive music collection) on this one.

There's a small amount of choir on 'Gigue', but this is really an instrumental album. Here's a rundown of the tracks:

'Prelude' starts with the synthesised sound of a jet flying overhead and the swish and rattle of cars flying past. Then Gaelic 'pipes' sound, the 'tubas' blow and all the instruments of the 'orchestra' come in to build the sound, just as in a prelude.

This segues into 'Fantasy', which is delightful, actually. The guitar, bass and drums are a good foil to Godfrey's orchestral synthesizers and piano, and rock the track up nicely. Very heavy and distorted guitar is used in one short part. It still sounds like a classical composition, but different! Nice one.

'Riguardon' is a foot-tapper. It sounds slightly medieval and also slightly West Country (that's the south western part of England). It builds dramatically, and parts sound deliciously menacing, as if it were a choppy sea about to turn nasty. There's a guitar solo that emphasises that the group is not emulating classical music. I like this track very much.

'Sarabande' is a slow, calm piece, with some simple but nice guitar and synthesizer sounds in the background that are obviously meant to be whales. Very relaxing and melodic.

Read's 'Waltz' is. a waltz, and a slow one at that. It's pleasant and bops along sedately, full of 'strings' and 'flutes'. One-two-three, one-two-three. It's no musical masterpiece, but relaxing. Some Progressive Rock fans may at this point wonder what they are doing listening to this album. It's fine by me, though.

'Ballade' is dominated by piano (well, it really is a ballade, so what do you expect!), with 'strings' quietly backing. I really like this one. Again it's not a complex piece, nothing to do with Progressive Rock, but has a gorgeous melody and flow. Makes me feel a bit melancholic, actually.

'Gavotte' bops along like. well, a gavotte! Godfrey's synthesizers sounds convincingly like harp, flute and woodwind.

'Chaconne' has slightly more of a Progressive Rock feel. A slow, thumping, deep bass (well, it is a chaconne. etc.) with electronic-sounding synthesizer bubbling away and some slow, twangy guitar accompanied by wafting 'strings'. It sounds to me like it could be the theme tune for a holiday programme. I can almost see a schooner sailing away over turquoise waters and palms swaying on the shore.

'Gigue' is a fast number, very Irish in feel, a real jig and a foot-tapper. Lots of what sounds like bodhrán, with guitar and piano taking turns to lead. There is some choir work by Max Read in this track. There is a calm interlude and then off it goes again. Godfrey manages to get some 'horns' in there too. Nice one.

Godfrey's 'Nocturne' is a perfect nocturne. The lush sounds of a 'symphony orchestra' convey the stillness and quiet of the night. I could easily see a ballet solo danced to this. It's so relaxing and a good way to end the album.

Send comments to Fitzcarraldo (BETA) | Report this review (#76183) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 24, 2006

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars White goddess is pleasant album. After series of, well, let's say not so nice albums, I've remembered that this one made quite a big impression on me back in days when I was quite rave about The Enid. I have a soft spot for classical music and this is simply the same thing, except it's not orchestra, but synthesizers. Maybe it's nonsense to compare everything to my beloved Aerie, but really, as strong piece as A Heroe's Life is hard to find. So gifted, melodic, wild (but under control at the same time).

But OK, to be fair, in compare to my previous non-satisfied reviews (try to find them chronologically, Six Pieces and the other one (I accidentally forgot its name, as it's probably effect of alcohol that's confusing my mind, even I haven't drink any alcoholic drink and it's in fact just that I'm tired (few hours [1.5 to be exact] after midnight). To quite classic: "22 hours and 30 Minutes To Midnight" (laurels goes to Iron Maiden, not me)). OK, let's start text "before-Marty's-everlasting-brackets" again. I wanted to say that this one works when combined with my mind perfectly. Even it's just softer classical music (not death metal of classical like Wagner or Haydn), romantic like pieces, which would be probably played on piano or something.

I can easily imagine that these ones were not only inspired (I hope that CM was inspiration, as this with its every moment reminds me genre of music that I like quite a lot [or at least trying to get to know])., but also could be played with true orchestrated music. And it's not like London Philharmonic Orchestra take on rock classics, but it's true and you can easily fall into belief that this is more rock version (even especially this album is full of atmospheric moods and long passages (you know, pieces), that (surprisingly) works well here) of classical music itself. Nope, these should be original compositions of Godfrey, mastermind (quite a lot, when considering how much he did), who however was unknown to me since I hear The Enid on one prog radio (Delicious Agony is the one).

4(+), because even it's not the strongest crow in a crowd (the strongest and mightiest crowd from these is underdog Aerie Faerie, for me at least [of course for me, who else is reviewing right now, unless I suffer from schizophrenia]). Eyes are closing, music is closing by and all I'm left with is good feeling that I was listening nice music that for sure has prog elements. Where, which ? You know the stuff, it has already been said on other album reviews, so let's not spoil nice little story we've created here, awright ? Good, good. Good night

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#259491) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars I enjoyed this album from start to finish as it is a relaxing, soothing journey into neo classicism that obviously will not appeal to everyone, as there is not a sceric of rock on this. It is definitely symphonic and at times plays more as the soundtrack to a romantic movie than anything else. There are musical passages of sweeping grandeur and Godfrey's keyboards are everpresent and provide textures of melancholy ambience throughout. The Enid are outside the box when it comes to progressive music, and are all accomplished virtuosos, but take care with this type of album. It is totally instrumental, moves along slowly and patiently creating soundwaves of imagery and in effect is virtually akin to a soundtrack to a non existent film. You can put this on to send you to sleep or throw it on after a long day, or during a romantic dinner; but as far as intensely listening to this, I prefer something more complex such as Yes, VDGG, or King Crimson, and The Enid feel more like an orchestra than a band.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#333488) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 25, 2010

3 stars I am not sure where the border between neo-classic music and prog rock goes. This band is pretty much in the neo-classic music territory..... but still within a spitting distance from prog rock land. The problem here is that this type of music is pretty light. It is like one of my favorite dr ... (read more)

Report this review (#224208) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Thursday, July 02, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars How I haven't heard this before I don't know, but my brother bought me this and the original work of Proto-Kaw for my birthday the other day, knowing I heard neither. Both were wonderful. I have loved The Enid since their inception, especially the big, orchestral side of the mastermind Robert J ... (read more)

Report this review (#172392) | Posted by tmay102436 | Wednesday, May 28, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Work of THE ENID released in 1998 "White Goddess". The content is a profound noble, keep romantic, symphony to recall the work in 70's. There is a natural intonation like the emotion in the expression, and straight romanticism is felt by me. And, it is, and doesn't exist like the lie of so-cal ... (read more)

Report this review (#60291) | Posted by braindamage | Wednesday, December 14, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE ENID "White Goddess"