WHITE GODDESS

- Robert John Godfrey / keyboards
- Grant Jamieson / guitar
- Max Read / guitar, bass and choir
- Dave Storey / drums and percussion

CD: Mantella #MNTLCD15 (1998)
CD: Inner Sanctum ENID010CD (2002)

and to Fitzcarraldo for the last updates

THE ENID MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE ENID White Goddess Music

Aerie Faerie NonsenseAerie Faerie Nonsense
In The Region Of The Summer StarsIn The Region Of The Summer Stars
InvictaInvicta
Operation Seraphim 2013
THE ENID Touch Me Mini LP CD JAPAN IECP-10075 / Robert John Godfrey US $4.99 [1 bids]
THE ENID Salome Mini LP CD JAPAN IECP-10079 / Robert John Godfrey US $4.99 [1 bids]
THE ENID Tripping The Light Fantastic Mini LP CD JAPAN IECP-10081 US $4.99 [1 bids]
THE ENID In The Region Of The Summer Stars Mini LP SHM CD JAPAN OBI BELLE 101745 US $19.99 [1 bids]
ENID - AERIE FAERIE NONSENSE (UK) NEW CD US $19.75 Buy It Now 4h 52m
OVERFLOW - S/T 85 MEXICAN PROG ROCK REMASTERED ala ENID & GENESIS MINI-JACKET CD US $19.95 Buy It Now 5h 23m
* PROMO PSYCH LP In The Region Of The Summer Stars THE ENID London BUK 52001 US $9.99 [0 bids]
ENID-When You Wish Upon A Stars 7"single P/S NM US $17.99 Buy It Now 14h 53m
ENID-Dambusters March/.. Rare Blue Vinyl 7"single PS US $17.99 Buy It Now 14h 53m
ENID OKLAHOMA PRIVATE XIAN MID-WESTERN GOSPEL SINGERS US $5.00 [1 bids]
MORE ADVENTURES OF THE SECRET SEVEN ENID BLYTON VINYL LP 1983 VG+ US $10.22 Buy It Now 19h 23m
ENID The Stand OBI For MINI LP CD JAPAN New US $4.99 Buy It Now 20h 37m
6 Degrees of Tonality a Well Tempered Piano, Katahn, Enid, Good US $15.39 Buy It Now 21h 32m
ENID LEVINE american love LP Record 1983 RARE vg US $22.50 Buy It Now 23h 5m
THE ENID "NM WAX" Something Wicked This Way Comes K22P-505 OBI LP Ad6517 US $7.99 [1 bids]
KEITH & ENID SEND ME b/w TRENTON SPENCE PEOPLE WILL SAY ~ UK BLUE BEAT SKA 7" US $20.48 Buy It Now 23h 29m
the enid - when you wish upon a star - 7" vinyl single US $17.05 Buy It Now 1 day
Whimwise The Enid live UK concert tour November 2007 poster print A5 size US $25.58 Buy It Now 1 day
Whimwise The Enid live concert The Peel London 25 May 2007 poster print A5 size US $25.58 Buy It Now 1 day
Favourite Noddy Stories Told by Enid Blyton Vinyl Record US $18.75 Buy It Now 1 day
THE ENID-DAMBUSTERS/LAND OF HOPE & GLORY (PYE 7") BLUE VINYL US $2.05 Buy It Now 1 day
ENID and then there were none RAK349 7" VINYL RECORD VG/VG 29 US $10.22 Buy It Now 1 day
THE ENID AERIE FAERIE NONSENSE 1977 LP CHEAP US $13.63 Buy It Now 1 day
ENID - SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES NEW CD US $33.17 Buy It Now 1 day
The Enid THE STAND prog LP UK Fan Club Release US $32.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE ENID Final Noise UK CD issue US $20.00 Buy It Now 2 days
THE ENID The Spell UK CD issue US $20.00 Buy It Now 2 days
ENID salome 12" 3 trk white label promo (enid999) - - US $8.52 Buy It Now 2 days
ENID and then there were none 12" 3 trk (12emi5505) pic sleeve uk emi 1982 US $8.52 Buy It Now 2 days
LON-52001- ENID, THE In The Region Of The Summer OOP USED 12" Vinyl Record US $13.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Vinyl Record 12" LP - Enid Katahn - Keys - Peacetree Album - Bach, Ravel, Chopin US $8.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Lord Creator,Rythm Of The Blues, Creator&Enid Simples Things. Mu-zik City Record US $19.99 [0 bids]
KEITH & ENID 45 Send Me / Trenton's Hop IMPACT! Reggae #A424 US $16.00 Buy It Now 2 days
ENID "PROMO / NM WAX" The Stand Japan Press OBI LP h0649 US $579.99 Buy It Now 2 days
THE ENID-Lot of 2 vintage adverts US $5.10 Buy It Now 2 days
THE ENID "Something Wicked This Way Comes" UK Enid Label US $8.52 Buy It Now 2 days
ENID - INVICTA NEW CD US $25.89 Buy It Now 2 days
Enid, The - Salome JAPAN MINI LP CD SEALED US $9.99 [1 bids]
Live at Hammersmith Vol.1 by The Enid JAPAN MINI LP CD SEALED US $9.99 [1 bids]
KEITH & ENID (7" Vinyl)EVERYTHING WILL BE ALL RIGHT / WORRIED OVER YOU-VG/EX US $11.93 Buy It Now 2 days
THE ENID An Alternative History Volume 1 1994 UK Mantella Vinyl LP AHOE 1 US $51.18 Buy It Now 2 days
THE ENID An Alternative History Volume 2 1994 UK Mantella Vinyl LP AHOE 2 PINK US $51.18 Buy It Now 2 days
THE ENID Final Noise JAPAN MINI LP CD NEW SEALED US $9.99 [1 bids]
ENID - MUNSALVAESCHE NEW CD US $22.42 Buy It Now 2 days
THE ENID - WHITE GODDESS [UK BONUS TRACKS] - NEW CD US $16.73 Buy It Now 3 days
^ ENID salome IECP-10079 JAPAN MINI LP CD NEW US $39.99 Buy It Now 3 days
* ENID stand IECP-20043/44 JAPAN MINI LP 2CD US $39.99 Buy It Now 3 days
^THE ENID tripping the light fantastic JAPAN MINI LP CD US $39.99 Buy It Now 3 days
^GODFREY & STEWART see & the sowe ENID JAPAN MINI LP CD US $39.99 Buy It Now 3 days
^ ENID something wicked this way comes IECP-10077 JAPAN MINI LP CD NEW US $39.99 Buy It Now 3 days
^ ENID white goddess IECP-10082 JAPAN MINI LP CD NEW US $59.99 Buy It Now 3 days
^ ENID live at hammersmith vol.1 IECP-10083 JAPAN MINI LP CD NEW US $39.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Aerie Faerie Nonsense, Enid, The, New US $26.94 Buy It Now 3 days
The Enid - Stonehenge 1984 - FLOATD6157 US $21.81 Buy It Now 3 days
THE ENID Six Pieces LP GREAT COPY !! US $13.65 [0 bids]
THE ENID Fand LP NEAR-MINT !! US $13.65 [0 bids]
ENID live at hammersmith volume 2 LP 5 track (enid2) uk enid 1979 US $19.79 Buy It Now 3 days
FAVOURITE NODDY STORIES AUSTRALIAN LP narrated by ENID BLYTON US $8.52 Buy It Now 3 days
LP THE ENID IN THE REGION OF THE SUMMER STARS 1984 UK PRESSING NM PROG ROCK US $34.98 Buy It Now 3 days
Enid Blyton Famous 5-5 on a Treasure Island.... FREE UK POST US $14.68 Buy It Now 3 days
ENID - VOL. 2-LIVE AT HAMMERSMITH (UK) NEW CD US $26.26 Buy It Now 4 days
THE ENID Salome UK CD SEALED Barclay James Harvest 1986 US $24.99 Buy It Now 4 days
THE ENID "NM WAX" Aerie Faerie Nonsense Japan Press OBI LP g1230 US $149.99 Buy It Now 4 days
THE ENID "NM WAX" In The Region Of The Summer Stars JP OBI LP f1213 US $179.99 Buy It Now 4 days
THE ENID IN THE REGION OF THE SUMMER STARS RARE SEALED PROMO prog rock US $24.95 Buy It Now 4 days
The Enid / Robert John Godfrey JAPAN 4 titles Mini LP SHM-CD SS + PROMO BOX SET US $169.99 Buy It Now 4 days
black swan 7":KEITH & ENID-lost my love (hear) US $34.11 Buy It Now 4 days
NODDY ON HIS TRAVELS TOLD BY ENID BLYTON US $20.00 [0 bids]
Enid,In The Region Of The Summer Stars,Matrix Numbers A2 & B2,LP US $26.43 Buy It Now 4 days
Reading Rock '81 UK Handbill + Ticket (Wishbone Ash/Kinks/Enid/Gillan/Budgie) US $51.19 Buy It Now 4 days
Enid - Something Wicked This Way Comes: Inner Sanctum [CD New] US $22.63 Buy It Now 4 days
Enid - Vol. 2-Live At Hammersmith [CD New] US $20.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Enid - White Goddess [CD New] US $19.71 Buy It Now 4 days
ENID - WHITE GODDESS NEW CD US $26.66 Buy It Now 4 days
the enid six pieces original private pressing vinyl lp enid 4 signed by three US $51.18 Buy It Now 4 days
the enid in the region of the summer stars 1984 vinyl lp enid 7 signed by three US $51.18 Buy It Now 4 days
the enid something wicked private pressing vinyl lp enid 3 signed by three US $51.18 Buy It Now 4 days
the enid touch me original private pressing vinyl lp enid 4 signed by three US $51.18 Buy It Now 4 days
the enid 10th aniversary uk tour 1984/5 fully autographed tour program ex US $68.24 Buy It Now 4 days
KEITH & ENID YOURE GONNA BREAK MY HEART UK ORIG SHUFFLE SKA THRILLER!! US $8.52 [0 bids]
THE ENID - In The Region Of The Summer Stars ~ VINYL LP US $23.02 Buy It Now 4 days
THE ENID - AERIE FAERIE NONSENSE - LIKE NEW CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Hank Williams Jr I Ain't Goin' Peacefully/Greeted in Enid 7" 45rpm Country (EX) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Whimwise The Enid live UK concert tour April May 2009 poster print A5 size US $25.58 Buy It Now 5 days
ENID - American Love - Vinyl LP UNPLAYED Enid Levine US $4.00 Buy It Now 5 days
the enid live at hammersmith volume 1 private pressing vinyl lp enid 1 US $42.64 Buy It Now 5 days
the enid the spell uk private pressing double vinyl lp enid 8 signed by three US $51.18 Buy It Now 5 days
Enid - Journeys End CD JVC US $45.06 Buy It Now 5 days
Enid - Something Wicked This Way Comes: Inner Sanctum CD US $26.80 Buy It Now 5 days
Enid - Aerie Faerie Nonsense CD US $16.63 Buy It Now 5 days
Enid - Munsalvaesche CD US $18.88 Buy It Now 5 days
The Enid - 'Aerie Faerie Nonsense' 1977 UK EMI LP. Ex! US $17.05 Buy It Now 5 days
? The Enid - Aerie Faerie Nonsense (EMI Int'l 3012) (UK) (Robert John Godfrey) US $14.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Enid Mosier & her Trinidad Steel Band Hi Fi Calypso, Etc LP Columbia CL 928 VG+ US $24.99 Buy It Now 5 days
ENID - VOL. 1-STAND 1984 (UK) NEW CD US $20.11 Buy It Now 6 days
Pierne Music for Piano Enid Katahn Pianist Cd US $18.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Enid - White Goddess CD US $22.31 Buy It Now 6 days
THE ENID - LIVE AT HAMMERSMITH VOL II, ORG PRIVATE PRESSING UK LP, PROGRESSIVE US $11.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Worried Over You/ Everything Will Br Alright- Keith & Enid Bluebeat Jump R&B US $3.00 [0 bids]
THE ENID THE STAND 1985-1986 RARE TEN TRACK VINYL LP *NEAR MINT PLUS COLLECTABLE US $18.69 Buy It Now 6 days

More places to buy THE ENID music online Buy THE ENID & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE ENID DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE ENID White Goddess ratings distribution

THE ENID White Goddess reviews

Review by lor68
4 stars Actually you should have to erase an half star at least, whenever I like to compare it to their previous strong works, cause of a different impact and a return to such already used "formula" as well, concerning the contamination between a sort of "Classical Music" and a mixed Classic Rock...well I want to refer my opinion to some creative albums like for example "Tripping The Light Fantastic" or that one- much older- entitled "Something wicked This Way Comes", which represented a new "road" to be runned within the "Progressive Scene":these latter albums, especially "Tripping The Light Fantastic" (dated 1994), were very different in comparison to the present one and also to their typical theatrical manner of introducing such Symphonic music to a crowd of common fans (those ones, I mean, not involved into this Symphonic/Theatrical Rock genre);but at the end- of course- you have to appreciate their music and to be quiet!!In fact their taste is always remarkable and, despite of not being regarded by the critics as a very creative or original band, during their new "proposal", their music is worth checking out at least. However The Enid are an immortal band and certainly you can hate or love their music: personally I like their stuff, but it depends on your tastes obviously...make your own choice anyway!!

Send comments to lor68 (BETA) | Report this review (#25911) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 02, 2004

Review by Fitzcarraldo
4 stars This is the last original album released by THE ENID to date. Recorded in 1997, it was released in 1998 by Mantella Records and re-released in 2002 by Inner Sanctum. According to the sleeve notes this is an album with an ecological theme, although I couldn't have worked that out from the music itself. The list of people credited with inspiring the music includes Robert Graves, so I suppose the album title came from his book The White Goddess, but I see the white goddess as Gaia.

For those of you who are not familiar with the music of THE ENID, it's unique: a small group of rock musicians with Robert John Godfrey as the cornerstone and very much at the helm (talk about mixed metaphors!), using predominantly modern instruments but coming out with something that sounds similar to classical music played by a symphony orchestra. Godfrey is a wiz at using synthesizers and piano to this end. Not only that, but the compositions often follow classical music styles; just look at the titles of the tracks on this album: 'Fantasy', 'Waltz', 'Ballade', 'Nocturne' etc. But the group is not trying to be a classical orchestra, nor is it trying to parody one (well, not in a nasty way, anyway). And, lest you get the wrong idea, this is not classical music: the electric and bass guitars and the drums often play an important part.

I very much enjoy the 1977 "Aerie Faerie Nonsense", which I admit is OTT (intentionally so, I believe) and camp, but also unique and often delightful. The music on "White Goddess" is immediately recognisable if you're familiar with "Aerie Faerie Nonsense", but is not as camp and feels more measured. I won't say all the tracks are outstanding or memorable, but all of them are enjoyable and the album is a worthy follow-up to the group's early albums. That's quite something after more than 20 years. If you liked the early stuff you'll like this one too. And if you didn't like "Aerie Faerie Nonsense" you may well like this one, as it's more measured and mature. In fact, I think this album would be a better place to start if you've never heard anything by THE ENID.

There may not be (m)any jump-for-joy moments, but I think the whole package makes for enjoyable listening. If you're into Symphonic Progressive Rock and classical music then you may well like this album. If you like the early THE ENID albums then you certainly will. I'm going for 4 stars (excellent addition to any progressive music collection) on this one.

There's a small amount of choir on 'Gigue', but this is really an instrumental album. Here's a rundown of the tracks:

'Prelude' starts with the synthesised sound of a jet flying overhead and the swish and rattle of cars flying past. Then Gaelic 'pipes' sound, the 'tubas' blow and all the instruments of the 'orchestra' come in to build the sound, just as in a prelude.

This segues into 'Fantasy', which is delightful, actually. The guitar, bass and drums are a good foil to Godfrey's orchestral synthesizers and piano, and rock the track up nicely. Very heavy and distorted guitar is used in one short part. It still sounds like a classical composition, but different! Nice one.

'Riguardon' is a foot-tapper. It sounds slightly medieval and also slightly West Country (that's the south western part of England). It builds dramatically, and parts sound deliciously menacing, as if it were a choppy sea about to turn nasty. There's a guitar solo that emphasises that the group is not emulating classical music. I like this track very much.

'Sarabande' is a slow, calm piece, with some simple but nice guitar and synthesizer sounds in the background that are obviously meant to be whales. Very relaxing and melodic.

Read's 'Waltz' is. a waltz, and a slow one at that. It's pleasant and bops along sedately, full of 'strings' and 'flutes'. One-two-three, one-two-three. It's no musical masterpiece, but relaxing. Some Progressive Rock fans may at this point wonder what they are doing listening to this album. It's fine by me, though.

'Ballade' is dominated by piano (well, it really is a ballade, so what do you expect!), with 'strings' quietly backing. I really like this one. Again it's not a complex piece, nothing to do with Progressive Rock, but has a gorgeous melody and flow. Makes me feel a bit melancholic, actually.

'Gavotte' bops along like. well, a gavotte! Godfrey's synthesizers sounds convincingly like harp, flute and woodwind.

'Chaconne' has slightly more of a Progressive Rock feel. A slow, thumping, deep bass (well, it is a chaconne. etc.) with electronic-sounding synthesizer bubbling away and some slow, twangy guitar accompanied by wafting 'strings'. It sounds to me like it could be the theme tune for a holiday programme. I can almost see a schooner sailing away over turquoise waters and palms swaying on the shore.

'Gigue' is a fast number, very Irish in feel, a real jig and a foot-tapper. Lots of what sounds like bodhrán, with guitar and piano taking turns to lead. There is some choir work by Max Read in this track. There is a calm interlude and then off it goes again. Godfrey manages to get some 'horns' in there too. Nice one.

Godfrey's 'Nocturne' is a perfect nocturne. The lush sounds of a 'symphony orchestra' convey the stillness and quiet of the night. I could easily see a ballet solo danced to this. It's so relaxing and a good way to end the album.

Send comments to Fitzcarraldo (BETA) | Report this review (#76183) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 24, 2006

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars White goddess is pleasant album. After series of, well, let's say not so nice albums, I've remembered that this one made quite a big impression on me back in days when I was quite rave about The Enid. I have a soft spot for classical music and this is simply the same thing, except it's not orchestra, but synthesizers. Maybe it's nonsense to compare everything to my beloved Aerie, but really, as strong piece as A Heroe's Life is hard to find. So gifted, melodic, wild (but under control at the same time).

But OK, to be fair, in compare to my previous non-satisfied reviews (try to find them chronologically, Six Pieces and the other one (I accidentally forgot its name, as it's probably effect of alcohol that's confusing my mind, even I haven't drink any alcoholic drink and it's in fact just that I'm tired (few hours [1.5 to be exact] after midnight). To quite classic: "22 hours and 30 Minutes To Midnight" (laurels goes to Iron Maiden, not me)). OK, let's start text "before-Marty's-everlasting-brackets" again. I wanted to say that this one works when combined with my mind perfectly. Even it's just softer classical music (not death metal of classical like Wagner or Haydn), romantic like pieces, which would be probably played on piano or something.

I can easily imagine that these ones were not only inspired (I hope that CM was inspiration, as this with its every moment reminds me genre of music that I like quite a lot [or at least trying to get to know])., but also could be played with true orchestrated music. And it's not like London Philharmonic Orchestra take on rock classics, but it's true and you can easily fall into belief that this is more rock version (even especially this album is full of atmospheric moods and long passages (you know, pieces), that (surprisingly) works well here) of classical music itself. Nope, these should be original compositions of Godfrey, mastermind (quite a lot, when considering how much he did), who however was unknown to me since I hear The Enid on one prog radio (Delicious Agony is the one).

4(+), because even it's not the strongest crow in a crowd (the strongest and mightiest crowd from these is underdog Aerie Faerie, for me at least [of course for me, who else is reviewing right now, unless I suffer from schizophrenia]). Eyes are closing, music is closing by and all I'm left with is good feeling that I was listening nice music that for sure has prog elements. Where, which ? You know the stuff, it has already been said on other album reviews, so let's not spoil nice little story we've created here, awright ? Good, good. Good night

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#259491) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars I enjoyed this album from start to finish as it is a relaxing, soothing journey into neo classicism that obviously will not appeal to everyone, as there is not a sceric of rock on this. It is definitely symphonic and at times plays more as the soundtrack to a romantic movie than anything else. There are musical passages of sweeping grandeur and Godfrey's keyboards are everpresent and provide textures of melancholy ambience throughout. The Enid are outside the box when it comes to progressive music, and are all accomplished virtuosos, but take care with this type of album. It is totally instrumental, moves along slowly and patiently creating soundwaves of imagery and in effect is virtually akin to a soundtrack to a non existent film. You can put this on to send you to sleep or throw it on after a long day, or during a romantic dinner; but as far as intensely listening to this, I prefer something more complex such as Yes, VDGG, or King Crimson, and The Enid feel more like an orchestra than a band.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#333488) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 25, 2010

3 stars I am not sure where the border between neo-classic music and prog rock goes. This band is pretty much in the neo-classic music territory..... but still within a spitting distance from prog rock land. The problem here is that this type of music is pretty light. It is like one of my favorite dr ... (read more)

Report this review (#224208) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Thursday, July 02, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars How I haven't heard this before I don't know, but my brother bought me this and the original work of Proto-Kaw for my birthday the other day, knowing I heard neither. Both were wonderful. I have loved The Enid since their inception, especially the big, orchestral side of the mastermind Robert J ... (read more)

Report this review (#172392) | Posted by tmay102436 | Wednesday, May 28, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Work of THE ENID released in 1998 "White Goddess". The content is a profound noble, keep romantic, symphony to recall the work in 70's. There is a natural intonation like the emotion in the expression, and straight romanticism is felt by me. And, it is, and doesn't exist like the lie of so-cal ... (read more)

Report this review (#60291) | Posted by braindamage | Wednesday, December 14, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE ENID "White Goddess"