PRIVATE PARTS & PIECES III: ANTIQUES

Anthony Phillips Private Parts & Pieces III: Antiques album cover

Buy ANTHONY PHILLIPS Music
Studio Album, released in 1982

1. Motherforest (1:55)
2. Hurlingham suite: (11:15)
i) Ivied castles 4:44
ii) Frosted windows 2:25
iii) Bandido 2:46
iv) Church bells at sunset 1:20
3. Suite in D minor: (8:27)
i) Whirlpools
ii) Cobblestones
iii) Catacombs
4. Danse nude (1:31)
5. Esperansa (2:02)
6. Elegy (3:28)
7. Otto's face (4:23)
8. Sand dunes (8:24)
9. Old wives tales (4:46)

Search ANTHONY PHILLIPS Private Parts & Pieces III: Antiques lyrics

Search ANTHONY PHILLIPS Private Parts & Pieces III: Antiques tabs

- Anthony Phillips / acoustic & classic guitars, bass guitar
+ Enrique Barro Garcia / acoustic, classic & electric guitars

CD Virgin CDOVD 319 (1991)
CD Virgin 261 066 (1991)
CD Blueprint BP 204 (1996)

and to ProgLucky for the last updates

ANTHONY PHILLIPS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ANTHONY PHILLIPS Private Parts & Pieces III: Antiques Music

Private Parts & Pieces V.3 AntiquesPrivate Parts & Pieces V.3 Antiques
Import · Remastered
Disk Union 2007

More places to buy ANTHONY PHILLIPS music online Buy ANTHONY PHILLIPS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ANTHONY PHILLIPS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ANTHONY PHILLIPS Private Parts & Pieces III: Antiques ratings distribution

ANTHONY PHILLIPS Private Parts & Pieces III: Antiques reviews

Review by greenback
3 stars This is his third classic and acoustic guitar oriented album. Mostly there are only guitars! It is a very mellow and peaceful album. The ensemble is not very rhythmic, and the speed involved is often low, so that one can appreciate each note played. I do not think it is very accessible. Here again, you can constantly hear Phillips' fingers rub the strings, which may be annoying for some. Some tracks have an increased notes flow, while others have many pauses. The best track is the one with the special guest guitarist Enrique Barro Garcia: he plays a bluesy ethereal electric guitar while Phillips plays a rhythmic acoustic guitar note by note. Phillips uses sometimes a good 12-string acoustic guitar.

Rating: 3.5 stars

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#25954) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars Dear Antony is quite mixing the genres with his «Private Parts». Gently acoustic with the first one, he mixed it with some great symphonic style for the second lap. The third leg is again totally acoustic and even if it denotes some musical skills (which is just normal), I have to admit that I am not impressed with this work.

This album is fully instrumental and there is almost no guest to support Anthony in this work (only one backup guitar player). I guess that there are people to appreciate this sort of album, but I don't belong to these ones.

I have had the same problem with several Hackett's works though. It's normal that these guys want to create something different while being on their own; but it is also normal to like this move quite moderately.

Some fine melody here and there, but that's not really enough to make this one a good album. In my books, only two stars are legitimate: I can't help. I do prefer while Anthony is surrounded by more of his prog friends.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#312471) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars Just another collection of antiques and curios

After having left Genesis in 1970 after the release of Trespass (and being replaced by Steve Hackett), nothing at all was heard from Anthony "Ant" Phillips for the next seven years. But when his first solo album The Geese And The Ghost finally appeared in 1977, Ant suddenly became very prolific and began releasing at least one new album each year. In conjunction with the release of his third proper album Sides, he launched the long running Private Parts & Pieces-series. A second instalment in the series, subtitled Back To The Pavilion, appeared in 1980, and in 1982 came this third album, subtitled Antiques. Actually, this one is not really a private project but rather a team effort. Ant made this album together with someone named Enrique Berro Garcia.

Like the first Private Parts & Pieces album, the present one is very strongly focused on acoustic guitars with little else being heard at all. Indeed, both Ant and Garcia are guitar players and many of these pieces are guitar duets. Toward the end of the three part Suite In D Minor some electric guitar can be heard which comes as a relief to bored ears, but there are no drums, keyboards, or vocals on this album. While I think this album is more pleasant than, and thus an improvement over, the first Private Parts & Pieces album, it is not up to par with the more diverse Private Parts & Pieces II. This is mellow and unchallenging background music and as such it is pleasant, but it is not suited for listening. It is worth hearing once or maybe even twice, but it is simply too monotonous and one-dimensional to be of any lasting interest. And, of course, it has nothing to do with progressive Rock, as it is neither progressive nor Rock.

Recommended only to Ant's fans and the devoted followers of the Private Parts & Pieces-series in particular

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#1134773) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 21, 2014

4 stars I played this album till its grooves had no more music left in them when this first came out--such beautiful melodies and moods came out of this duo. This one stands next to "Field Day" and "The Geese and the Ghost" as my all-time favorite Ant albums (though I love his work on "Trespass," Mike Ruthe ... (read more)

Report this review (#459542) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Sunday, June 12, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I thought this was the best (mostly) acoustic guitar album out there, and certainly AP's best, until I heard FIELD DAY. I've already reviewed that one though. And the runner up is. . . . . Antiques! Yes, it has been dethroned as my all-time favourite guitar album, by the very talented and incr ... (read more)

Report this review (#92997) | Posted by Mcgraster | Monday, October 02, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is diamond in the rough. Beautiful playing here by A. Phillips. Only lots of guitars and some bass being played. But all of it fit together like a glove. The finest way to appreciate this album is to turn lights down low and bring in one bottle of wine. The music might finish before the w ... (read more)

Report this review (#70758) | Posted by | Tuesday, February 28, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The way this album comes together is brilliant. I've never heard such slow and deliberate guitar playing, picking, strumming, and fingering that sounded so good. I would love to hear these songs played live. What a treat that would be. I've come to learn that ANTHONY PHILLIPS does not perform ... (read more)

Report this review (#50797) | Posted by | Saturday, October 08, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Now this is a guitar album!!! Far superior to TWELVE, wherein ANT tries to do it all on a 12 string guitar and a one-track recorder. Here, he plays solo pieces, duets with Berro-Garcia, and multi-track ensembles, utilizing 6 string, 12 string, electric, and bass guitars. The result is heavenly ... (read more)

Report this review (#25957) | Posted by | Thursday, March 17, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I need to disagree with JOHN B. Antiques is a brilliant album. It's like fine gourmet food - the delicate seasonings that Ant uses in just the right proportions, are just as important as the ones he doesn't use! I have spent years listening to the intricasies of this album - the best parts bei ... (read more)

Report this review (#25956) | Posted by | Tuesday, December 14, 2004 | Review Permanlink

3 stars A tasteful and well performed duo recording by Ant and Enrique Barro Garcia, I would recommend this over Twelve, it's a little more diverse, and certainly Ivory Moon, among his sparser (solo/duo) works. Fans of acoustic guitar in general would find this well worth having. ... (read more)

Report this review (#25953) | Posted by Gonghobbit | Sunday, January 25, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ANTHONY PHILLIPS "Private Parts & Pieces III: Antiques"