NOW WHAT?!

2. Weirdistan (4:14)
3. Out Of Hand (6:10)
4. Hell To Pay (5:11)
5. Body Line (4:26)
6. Above And Beyond (5:30)
7. Blood From A Stone (5:18)
8. Uncommon Man (7:00)
9. Aprs Vous (5:26)
10. All The Time In The World (4:21)
11. Vincent Price (4:46)
12. It'll Be Me (Bonus track) (3:03)

Search DEEP PURPLE Now What?! lyrics

Search DEEP PURPLE Now What?! tabs

- Steve Morse / guitar
- Ian Gillan / vocals
- Roger Glover / bass guitar
- Don Airey / organ, keyboards
- Ian Paice / drums

Released: Germany, Switzerland & Austria, Finland, Spain on April 26th. UK, France, Benelux, Poland, Czech, Norway, Denmark: April 29th. USA, Italy: April 30th. Sweden: May 1st.
Label: earMusic (UK, part of Edel Group), Edel (Germany)

Thanks to Rune2000 for the addition

DEEP PURPLE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DEEP PURPLE Now What?! Music

NOW What?!NOW What?!
Deluxe Edition · CD+DVD · Extra tracks
Eagle Rock Entertainment 2013
Now What?! Gold EditionNow What?! Gold Edition
Imports 2013
Now What?! Box Set IMPORT Limited EditionNow What?! Box Set IMPORT Limited Edition
Box set · Limited Edition
Eagle Rock Entertainment 2014
Now What: Live TapesNow What: Live Tapes
Jvc Japan 2013
Now What?! Box SetNow What?! Box Set
Imports 2013
DEEP PURPLE NOW WHAT?! (CD+DVD)DEEP PURPLE NOW WHAT?! (CD+DVD)
NEMS
Now What?! - Special Edition with a Live Cd Now What?! Live TapesNow What?! - Special Edition with a Live Cd Now What?! Live Tapes
Now What?! Box Set IMPORT Limited Edition by Deep Purple [Music CD]Now What?! Box Set IMPORT Limited Edition by Deep Purple [Music CD]
NOW What?! by Deep Purple [Music CD]NOW What?! by Deep Purple [Music CD]
Eagle Rock Entertainment
Now What?! Gold Edition IMPORT Limited Edition by Deep Purple [Music CD]Now What?! Gold Edition IMPORT Limited Edition by Deep Purple [Music CD]
Now that's what I call music 20 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Various Artist - Now 52: That's What I Call Music [CD New] US $11.88 Buy It Now 1 day
VA - Now That's What I Call Music, Vol.50 (CD 2014) 21 tracks Brand New US $5.72 [2 bids]
VA - Now That's What I Call Music, Vol.52 (CD 2014) 21 trks Brand New US $5.03 [2 bids]
VA - Now That's What I Call Music, Vol.52 (CD 2014) John Ryan Brand New US $8.49 Buy It Now 8 days
VA - Now That's What I Call Music, Vol.52 (CD 2014) Kiesza Brand New US $4.78 [1 bids]
VA - Now That's What I Call Music,Vol. 88 [2CD 2014] 45 trks Brand New US $5.99 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music, Vol.51 2014 CD New Sealed US $8.39 Buy It Now 11 days
Now 11 That's what I call music 2002 Pop Rock CD BRAND NEW Sony US $0.99 [1 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music Vol.52 2014 CD Enrique Iglesias Nicki Minaj Sealed US $7.59 [1 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music Vol.50 2014 CD New Sealed US $8.39 Buy It Now 26 days
Now That's What I Call Christmas!, Vol. 4 by Various Artists (CD, Sep-2011, 2... US $0.05 [1 bids]
Now That's What I Call a Million (2014) *NEW* Music*Queen/Take That/Elvis/Kylie US $14.89 [9 bids]
NOW, Vol. 52 [US] by Various Artists (CD, 2014, Now That's What I Call Music) US $8.35 Buy It Now 22 days
Now That's What I Call Christmas [2014] NEW + SEALED*Elvis / Abba/Cliff Richard US $15.68 [6 bids]
Now That's What I Call Xmas 3cd Frankie Band Aid Squeeze Abba Jethro Tull US $9.39 [1 bids]
'NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL DISNEY' (Includes Xmas Disc) 4 CD SET (2014) US $20.37 Buy It Now 28 days
Now That's What I Call Music 1986 LP Vinyl NOD2 US $1.55 [1 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music - Now Dance 89 LP NOD3 US $1.55 [0 bids]
Ellowyne Wilde NOW, WHAT? - 2006 Release Sold Out - NUDE DOLL ONLY US $149.00 Buy It Now 29 days
Now That's What I Call Music - Now Dance 91 NOD7 LP Vinyl US $1.55 [0 bids]
Various Artists - Now! That's What I Call the 90s (2014) US $12.54 [4 bids]
Now 36 That's What I Call Music US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Various Artists "NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 83" 2 CD Album Excellent US $1.55 [2 bids]
!CHRISTMAS! V/A 'NOW THATS WHAT I CALL XMAS' 3 DISC CD ALBUM 2006 US $5.88 [3 bids]
Various Artists - Now That's What I Call Music Vol. 30 [UK] US $1.55 [1 bids]
NOW 52: That's What I Call Music by Now Music (Format: Audio CD) US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Now That's What I Call Xmas US $4.69 [0 bids]
Various Artists - Now That's What I Call Music Vol. 33 [UK] (1996) US $1.55 [0 bids]
NOW Country 5 by Now That's What I Call Country US $2.95 Buy It Now 25 days
NOW THATS WHAT I CALL MUSIC 18 (1991) 2-CD: FAT CASE NR MINT US $1.55 [0 bids]
Various Artists - Now Thats What I Call Music!, Vol. 86 (2013) Cd Compilation US $6.27 [4 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music! 2 US $1.00 Buy It Now 22 days
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 19~ THATS A ULTRA RARE CD UK SELLER US $11.76 [8 bids]
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 22~ THATS A ULTRA RARE CD UK SELLER US $1.55 [1 bids]
Lot of 7 Now That's What I Call Music CD's + Totally Hits 2004 V2 US $29.99 Buy It Now 29 days
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 11~ THATS A ULTRA RARE CD UK SELLER US $8.62 [7 bids]
NOW THAT''S WHAT I CALL XMAS 2006 3 x CD US $4.69 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music Vol.52 2014 CD Enrique Iglesias Nicki Minaj Sealed US $8.39 Buy It Now 14 days
Vintage Josef Originals Girl Playing Violin Music Box "What The World Needs Now" US $9.99 [1 bids]
Now, That's What I Call Music Cds - Lot Of 8 "AS IS" US $4.99 [1 bids]
Weight Watchers - What To Cook Now (2013) - Used - Trade Cloth (Hardcover) US $6.29 Buy It Now 27 days
Now That's What I Call Music. Vol 4 1984. Near Mint US $5.02 [3 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music! 20 US $0.99 [0 bids]
'NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 89' 2 CD SET (2014) US $21.87 Buy It Now 28 days
*USED CD* NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC! 29 US $1.04 [2 bids]
VA - Now That's What I Call Music, Vol.52 (CD 2014) John Ryan Brand New US $5.03 [2 bids]
NOW THATS WHAT I CALL CHRISTMAS XMAS 3CDS BOX SET VERY GOOD CONDITION US $7.67 Buy It Now 2 days
VA - Now That's What I Call Music,Vol. 87 (2CD 2014) 46 trks Brand New US $5.99 [0 bids]
VA - Now That's What I Call Music,Vol. 88 (2CD 2014) 45 tracks Brand New US $5.99 [0 bids]
CD Now That's What I Call Today's Christmas by Various Artists US $3.50 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call the 90s - 3CD US $29.77 Buy It Now 17 days
Now That's What I Call Music! 89 2XCD BRAND NEW US $13.81 [5 bids]
NOW THATS WHAT I CALL BRITAIN ? " BEST OF BRITISH MUSIC " ? CD X 2 US $4.58 [4 bids]
Hey God, What Now by Jess Lair (1981, Paperback) US $4.39 Buy It Now 29 days
Now Thats What I Call Disney Cd Box Set 4 Cd's US $9.06 [6 bids]
WHAT NOW MY LOVE HERB ALPERT & TIJUANA BRASS 1966 #1 A&M SP-4114 ORIG SHRINKWRAP US $0.99 [0 bids]
READING GLASSES W/ LED LIGHTS..NOW IN 3 COLORS..AMAZING WHAT U CAN DO WITH THESE US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 44m
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 6 CD Lot 11, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 plus Bonus US $10.00 [1 bids]
Now That's What I Call Christmas!, Vol. 4 by Various Artists (CD, Sep-2011, 2... US $0.14 [1 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music cd bundle/joblot 70-71--72--73--74--75-76-77-78-79 US $17.25 [2 bids]
Now That's What I Call Country, Volume 4 by Various Artists (CD, Jun-2011(B) (F) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Vinyl LP - Now That's What I Call Music Vol 1, 2X LP, Madness, Rod Stewart US $4.70 [0 bids]
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL CHRISTMAS 2012 3 x CD *NEAR MINT* WIZZARD/MUD/COLDPLAY US $8.78 [16 bids]
LOT 19 CD NOW THATS WHAT I CALL MUSIC NOW LOAD YOUR MP3 US $2.00 [2 bids]
NOW THAT''S WHAT I CALL XMAS 2010 3 x CD JOHN LENNON / BEACH BOYS / WIZZARD US $8.62 [11 bids]
Now Thats What I Call Music 14 US $26.64 Buy It Now 28 days
Hummel "What Now" Special Edition No. 7 US $17.50 [5 bids]
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL CHRISTMAS! Various Artists(2 Discs) 36 Holiday Classics! US $0.99 [1 bids]
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 39,44,47,50 LOT NICE! PARTY. US $35.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Marvel Now What #1 One Shot Marvel Comics US $3.00 [0 bids]
VA - Now That's What I Call Music, Vol.52 (CD 2014] John Ryan Brand New Sealed US $4.78 [0 bids]
VA - Now That's What I Call Music,Vol.51 [CD 2014] Sia Brand New US $4.78 [0 bids]
Now Thats What I Call Music 17 US $23.44 Buy It Now 28 days
NOW THAT`S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 4 / DBLE VINYL LP US $3.12 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Club Hits by Various Artists (CD, Sep-2009, Sony Music... US $0.99 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music! 88 by Various Artists (CD, Jul-2014, 2 Discs,... US $10.50 Buy It Now 6 days
Now That's What I Call Music Vol. 64 US $1.55 [1 bids]
New/Sealed NOW THATS WHAT I CALL DISNEY PRINCESS Enhanced 99p Start US $8.62 [10 bids]
"What The World Needs Now" Precious Moments #524352 Girl With Globe US $14.99 Buy It Now 26 days
Now 49: That's What I Call CD Album High Quality Audio Music US $1.30 [2 bids]
Now Thats What I Call Music 10 : 2 x CD Fat Box Set US $11.99 [5 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music!, Vol. 51 by Various Artists US $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Now thats what i call music 7 US $4.99 [0 bids]
Now Thats What I Call Music 25 : 2 x CD Fat Box Set US $3.12 [1 bids]
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL PARTY ANTHEMS 2 CD - VARIOUS ARTISTS (2014) NEW UNOPENED US $14.99 Buy It Now 16 days
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC '86 CD * Scratched Disc * US $1.55 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music - NOW 7 USA 19 Tracks (CD 2001) NEW F Sealed US $10.18 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Party Anthems US $7.27 Buy It Now 28 days
NOW THATS WHAT I CALL 90S DANCE (2012) 3-CD: NEW SEALED ROBIN S PRODIGY KADOC US $3.90 [0 bids]
NOW THATS WHAT I CALL A NO. 1 (2012) 3-CD: NEW SEALED KATE BUSH SOFT CELL US $3.90 [1 bids]
Now 51: That's What I Call Music [CD New] US $14.48 Buy It Now 18 days
NOW THATS WHAT I CALL MUSIC 27 (1994) 2-CD: FAT CASE US $1.55 [1 bids]
Now 86 (2 CD Set) That's What I Call Music (2 CD's) 2013 (Ylvis, Katie Perry etc US $7.38 [10 bids]
Now Thats What I Call A Million Music (2014) 3 CD Box Set (New Release) US $13.33 [15 bids]
1981 GOEBEL HUMMEL What Now 422 COLLECTOR'S CLUB SPECIAL EDITION NO. 7 1981 US $9.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy DEEP PURPLE music online Buy DEEP PURPLE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DEEP PURPLE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DEEP PURPLE Now What?! ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(24%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(44%)

DEEP PURPLE Now What?! reviews

Review by Gooner
5 stars Open this CD and the message is clear on the inside booklet with a white backdrop and purple lettering which reads(in caps): "THIS ALBUM IS DEDICATED TO JON LORD - Souls, having touched, are forever entwined."

Folks...and I say this without hype...this album is a classic Deep Purple album. Ian Gillan once said in an interview with Big Red on a Sarnia, Ontario rock radio station: "If the ladies are moving their bums to your rock record, you know you've made a great album!". There's some "boogie" and "groove" back in Deep Purple. They called it "Now What?!", but they should have called it "Don Airey UNLEASHED!" or "Steve Morse kicks your arse!".

This album is that good. Ian Gillan has never sounded better. Paice & Glover are at their swingy best. Without hesitation, this is Deep Purple taking risks and not boxed in like their previous albums with Morse and Airey. I liked those albums(shaky 3 stars at best), but I was irritated often enough and wished they'd stretch out and jam. There's evident jamming on this album and plenty of it sounds like it was recorded live like in the old days. Spontaneous is the word. There are things on this album you can't write - they just sort of happen. This a progressive hard rock album...not merely hard rock like the previous ones. There are solos and tradeoffs on organ and guitar like Lord and Blackmore in the '70s. "A Simple Song" is anything but. It starts off pastoral for the first 2 minutes with Ian Gillan in a contemplative vocal, then kicks in like nothing I've heard from this band since 1984. "Weirdistan" and "Out Of Hand" flow into one another and Don Airey is unleashed here. I will not reveal anything else on the album as it may be a spoiler. However, there is one more track on here that channels Deep Purple going into the Pink Floyd and Ozric Tentacles territory. There's hints of jazz fusion, as well. I imagine that had a lot to do with Bob Ezrin producing this (however unintentional). It's worth repeating that this is a progressive rock album with heavy hard rock overtones. Not the other way around. Perhaps a je ne c'est quoi feel to it. Someone's spirit was looking over this session. That someone was JON LORD. If the Purps are going to top off their studio output with "Now What?!", they've certainly ended it with a classic modern progressive rock album..

Send comments to Gooner (BETA) | Report this review (#950172) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 26, 2013

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Lordy!

Ah Deep Purple, the lead guitar magic of Ritchie, the majestic keyboards of Jon, the screams of Ian G.... that takes me back. Wait a minute, you say the band is still going, you say this is a new album? Surely not?! Alas, Ritchie Blackmore has long since gone back to the future with Blackmore's Night (new album coming soon) and John Lord is now entertaining his namesake, but Ian Gillan is still belting them out, driven on by the powerhouse duo of Ian Paice and Roger Glover. Steve Morse has actually been lead guitarist with Deep Purple for longer than Ritchie was and Don Airey's Purple credentials are enhanced through his time with Rainbow.

So what can we expect from the 2013 Deep Purple. Well 12 brand new songs for starters, featuring such Purple-esque titles as "Weirdistan", "Blood from a stone" and "Hell to pay". Fans may be a bit concerned by the first minute or two of the opening "A simple song", beginning as it does with acoustic and soft electric guitar introducing a reflective vocal from Gillan. Have the band gone soft?? Of course not! Before you can say "Child in time" the song burst forth in its "Perfect strangers" type, riff driven magnificence. Airey pays tribute to the late Jon Lord with his swirling Hammond sound, the track immediately reassuring us that this is most definitely a Deep Purple album.

While there is a definite feel of the band's classic years to "Now what?!", and I include in that the fine reunion album "Perfect strangers", things do not stand still by any means. The melodies are strong, the musicianship excellent (of course) and the production top notch. On the other hand, here there is a modern sound, swirling synths, and quasi- orchestration. The pace (Paice!) is relentless, the band are clearly intent on making a record to be heard standing up. Indeed, it is only when we get to "Blood from a stone", a title you might expect to bring with it a belting rock number, that we find not a ballad but a slow blues. The following "Uncommon man" has us checking that this is really still Deep Purple. This seven minute guitar led piece builds from a "Wish you were here" like intro through a mid- song fanfare to a "Knocking at your back door" style latter section. "Apres vous" continues the surprises, offering a well rehearsed instrumental jam with a brief concluding vocal.

The bonus track "It'll be me", written by Jack Clement, was originally a single B side by Jerry Lee Lewis, then a hit single for Cliff Richard (never though I'd mention his name here) and was more recently covered by Tom Jones. The version here mirrors Jones' interpretation.

Everyone will have their own favourite from this album of course and for me there are a couple of songs that make up the numbers. There is though a general consistency and every so often, songs such as "Above and beyond" or the delicious "Vincent Price" will jump out as being yet another highlight. Deep Purple fans will not be disappointed with "Now what?!" (although the title is about as good as "Bananas"). This is a first rate DP album.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#953286) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 03, 2013

Review by poslednijat_colobar
5 stars What a comeback after an extensive touring for about 8 years! Hard rock giants Deep Purple shattered all the critics with Now What?!. It's an unique album with many facets. It's typical Deep Purple album, but on the other hand it's something else, as well. It's hard rock, it's symphonic prog, it's funky, it's jazzy, it's Perfect Strangers, it's Purpendicular, it's Yes, ELP and Pink Floyd, but most importantly - it's one of best and most balanced Deep Purple albums. The arrangements of the songs are precise. The songwriting is highly compressed and full of ideas, developed in accurate, direct manner. That means to create progressive rock album with hard rock means of expression! The "conversations" between rhythm section (Paice and Glover), organ solos (Airey), guitar solos (Morse) and The Voice (Gillan) are highly addictive. Highly recommended album by one of greatest bands ever! Deserved 4,5 stars would be rounded up! Another gloden page in Deep Purple's extensive and brilliant career!

Send comments to poslednijat_colobar (BETA) | Report this review (#964869) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 25, 2013

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars I really thought that ''Rapture Of The Deep" would have been Purple's last studio release. As homage to this great hard rock band, I closed my review with these words:

So, maybe it is time to thank those guys for the immense joy they have procured to me (and to several other millions of fans).

In my order of preference (quite personal but that's it):

Jon : the instigator of the early days, the "soul" of the band who unfortunately left the band in 2002 even if he was not the most prolific in terms of songwriting. His influence has been enormous.

Ian (Gillan): for his tremendous input to the band. Purple really change directions in 1969 thanks to him and became the band we all know and love.

Ritchie: a fabulous guitar player. Great live performer (remember "California Jam") but so difficult to live with (although they tried hard). A bit the same feeling as for Roger (Waters of course).

Glenn: for his great voice and bass playing during a relatively short break, but IMO an imoprtant one (Mark III to V)

Ian (Paice) : the one and only remaining founding number. Maybe underrated as a drummer. Still, he belongs to my top ten one in this genre.

What a surprise to listen to a new album from the band in 2013!!! Great reviews, good charting (it peaked as number 1 in Germany). This album sounded as a great come back.

Unfortunately, I am not really found of this album. Most tracks are heavy rock oriented and little inspired ("Weirdistan", "Body Line", "Vincent Price"), bluesy ("Blood From A Stone", "All The Time In The World" but here again there is an excellent guitar break: but we all that Steve is brilliant) or just basic rock ("Above & Beyond") although there are some good surprises here and there like ''Out Of Hand'' with its ''Kashmir'' flavour at times. It features an excellent guitar solo as well.

In terms of great rock song, there is no doubt that ''Hell To Pay'' is by far the best of this album. It includes some "Highway Star" feeling in there if you see what I mean. Same good old structure: great guitar solo and then a superb keyboard one. I told you: "Highway Star" is just next door?

Unfortunately, there aren't so many songs like these on this album. Another one of them is "Uncommon Man" which features a great and very emotional guitar intro and raises the level of this work.

Needless to say that you should not look for any prog sound on this album (but Purple generated very few of these throughout their 45 years old career).

I REALLY do not understand that this album rates above "Machine Head". IMHHO, three stars (and this is generous). Five out of ten is my opinion.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#1015845) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 10, 2013

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars New Deep Purple?! One has to be excited to hear that the band are still rocking after such a massive career beginning in the late 60s. The album title is "Now What?!" and I guess the answer is "Let's prove we are the masters of classic rock!" The album features a brilliant line up with Steve Morse on guitar, Roger Glover on bass guitar, Don Airey on organ, keyboards, and Ian Paice on drums. The real surprise is the return of Ian Gillan on vocals! He is a powerhouse vocalist carving a niche in rock history when he was with the band and in his solo career. On this latest album Gillan simply proves the old dinosaur can still scream out his lungs and still has one of the greatest voices in rock.

Deep Purple are riff masters and although Ritchie Blackmore is absent, Steve Morse has a great style and blasts out some dynamic riffs and lead breaks. The album is dedicated to Jon Lord, and Don Airey certainly keeps the flame burning with his keyboard style, and I am sure was humbled to be involved. Ian Paice is a genius drummer and it is great to hear his pound away on these songs. Roger Glover is an accomplished bassist, making an appearance on a swag of Purple albums, so it is wonderful to experience his style again on this latest release.

The album is one hour of old school style rock with a metal edge, and there is a lot of progalicious extended keyboard breaks and lead guitar workouts. 'A Simple Song' kicks things off, beginning slowly with nice guitar licks then Gillan in a reflective mood. The heavy rock kicks in with guitar chord progression and very heavy handed Hammond squelches. The keyboarding on this is simply stunning, a real throwback to the great freakouts of the 70s. There is some delightful flute on this too giving a pastoral sound.

After this delightful start they launch into 'Weirdistan' with guitar stabs over a strong bassline and drum pattern. I love the multilayered vocals and melody on this. A lead break cements my enjoyment of this, and what a riff that locks in with organ and axe trade offs in extended jam sessions; it doesn't get better than this!

'Out Of Hand' opens with gloomy atmospheres with a bell chiming and preternatural sounds, then a drone and symphonic violin slices, reminiscent of 'Knocking at Your back door'. A chugging riff enters and some very cool vocals, Gillan is incredible after all these years to be able to sing like this. The way the riff comes and goes with the string section foundation playing beneath is simply wonderful. Again the organ shimmers are absolutely fantastic. A lead break showcase Morse's inimitable style, with fast upsweeps and sustained string bends.

'Hell To Pay' has that Bob Ezrin anthemic production sound, he certainly knows how to get the best out of a band. This one has a Kiss sound but still unmistakeably Deep Purple all the way. The lead break is precision playing from Morse and I love the organ embellishments; Airey is sensational on this album. He has a freakout moment on this track channelling Lord almost in an improvised freestyle; listen to those keyboard crunches.

'Body Line' moves into funky territory, the tune has a funky 80s vibe and yet is as heavy as the Purple get, especially the guitar riffing and that crazy organ. It has a more pedestrian structure but it's still a great song. 'Above And Beyond' is a safer song with a pop melody but I adore the keyboard motif on this and it has a beautiful lead solo at the end. 'Blood From A Stone' has a bluesy feel helped by Glover's bass and Gillan's vocals are deep and resonant showing his age at 67 here. The organ is definitely akin to The Doors 'Riders on the Storm' and that suits me as I am crazy about that song. It builds into a heavier chorus then pulls back to the Doors like sound on the verses. Later it switches time signatures then a gorgeous organ solo like Ray Manzarek in his stoned phase. The song really grows on you and it is so laid back and emotional I can't help but rate this as a highlight.

'Uncommon Man' answers the prog question with some very nice progressive moments, opening with Spanish guitar, then a sumptuous symphonic sound like Pink Floyd. This is quite a surprise after the heavy approach of previous tracks. It is great that DP still want to experiment with music after all these years. Paice has some cool drum fills over this soundscape. Then a guitar solo blazes over and a rhythm builds up ominously with a ton of strings until it moves to a trumpet fanfare on the keyboards. Gillan's vocals are multilayered, and the time sig is off kilter in the main riff as he sings "It's good to be king". The organ and lead breaks are delightful. This is definitely a great song to showcase the prog components of the band.

'Aprs Vous' is a raucous song with a classic Deep Purple sound especially the riff and the opening vocal section. The time sig has a prog sound and it is a heavy sound from the Hammond and metal guitar that are synced perfectly. It unleashes into an instrumental domination, beginning with soft guitar tones over ethereal synths and a pulsating bass and drum. A symphonic soundscape enters then the staccato organ comes to the fore trading off with incessant speed picking lead guitar; a powerhouse of musicianship.

'All The Time In The World' is the big single and sounds more qualified for radio airplay. The melody is infectious with an uptempo feel. Morse's solo is pleasant but again it is Airey that really captivates me on this track; his organ playing is phenomenal.

'Vincent Price' opens with cathedral pipe organ sounds, like the old actor himself has made an appearance. It is a throwback to the Hammer Horror films of the 70s, such as "Pit and the Pendulum", "Fall of the House of Usher" or "House of Wax". Price was a master and this is a terrific homage to his work. It even has a Gothic female choir and some horror themes interwoven in the structure. The heavy distorted guitar is doom metal and the lyrics capture the horror themes of vampires, and "red blood dripping, she doesn't have a prayer, I know it's not real but I just don't care, it feels so good to be afraid, Vincent Price is back again." The lead break is excellent with a phased sound, and there are effects of chains and Gillan even has a yell like the old days; delightful.

'Highway Star (Bonus track)' is a nice add on after such a great album, and it basically cruises along the familiar bass and drum line, with some incredible lead guitar work, and more Gillan screeches. I always loved 'Highway Star' and I never tire of this, the lead guitar and organ on this live version are absolutely killer, and it ends with a lead guitar workout with piercing screams.

"Now What?!" is a bonafide Deep Purple treasure. I was hoping it would measure up to the brilliance of the past and it certainly delivers from beginning to end. The organ playing is brilliant and a real tribute to the work of Jon Lord who the album is dedicated. I can't complain; this is Deep Purple at their best. It is a real pleasure to listen to and it is comforting to know that not only are Deep Purple back in the studio but they are creating some of their most proficient musicianship and every song has its own atmosphere; they really prove they are masters of classic rock.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#1016230) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 11, 2013

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars Wow, with the preceding Rapture, I had to get used to a Lord-less Purple, but with this one, I've got to get used to the idea that he will never come back. So obviously Airey will probably remain for a while as only the group's second keyboardist ever in their 40-years+ career. In some ways, NW is a logical musical continuation of RotD, this time with the ever-alive Bob Ezrin behind the production control knobs and more surprisingly in the songwriting credits as well - no details as to who, what, when and why.

Opening slowly with a quiet intro, A Simple Song gives you the general Purple hard-rock feel that the band has never really left (outside a few mid-70's errors) for the better part of its career. The slightly Kashmiresque Weirdistan is hardly worth noticing, though, and the following Out Of Hand follows more or less suit Gillan even sounds a tad Ozzy-esque at times, especially in some of the relatively insignificant lyrics - at least to the casual observer. While Bodyline could easily fit in the sonic realm of In Rock, but Morse is definitely not as prominent as that other guitarist. By Above & Beyond, the album has sunken in a Purple daze (no relation to Dendrix ;o)p)), that only a Rhodes in Blood From A Stone or a lengthy and slow instrumental intro of Uncommon Man. The rest is just average Purple stuff that ranks from filler to run-of-the-mill stuff. Highlights are Bodyline, Uncommon Man and Stone Blood.

Well, if at one point, I'd feared Airy might bring his synth that I'd come to dread in Rainbow and other projects, I can no stop worrying, because he's a perfect it in his two Purple albums, both musically and in terms of human image. Indeed, one couldn't tell the difference that the newer members (Morse and Airey) are about a decade younger than the three historical members. Outside these (very) light considerations, one can wonder what the point is to a new Purple album, since they all sound more or less the same and never seem to bring anything new. NOW, an alright album, but WHAT is the point?! Outside a Jon Lord dedication.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#1083870) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 01, 2013

4 stars Well, lets face it, with the departure of Blackmore "classic" Deep Purple ceased to exist about four decades ago. Along with Blackmore were gone those excellent riff-based compositions that made the band one of the best Rock acts. The remaining (rather excellent) musicians kept limping along w ... (read more)

Report this review (#1178475) | Posted by Anon-E-Mouse | Friday, May 23, 2014 | Review Permanlink

4 stars My favourite album of 2013. Deep Purple show off a range of styles on this album while retaining that Chiddy Bevan dap feel for which they are so well known. Ian Gillian expresses some different vocal qualities as well as his usual feanish ones. Don Hairy does a fantastic job of filling the sa ... (read more)

Report this review (#1078834) | Posted by Alard Charlton | Monday, November 18, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars 9/10 "Em time que est ganhando no se mexe". That old Brazilian adage exemplifies very well what Deep Purple is doing here: without changing its classic and iconic style, they continue to offer their fans their sound ever, resulting in one of the most enjoyable releases of 2013. The title ... (read more)

Report this review (#1037106) | Posted by voliveira | Tuesday, September 17, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A lot of people have said that this album is a return to classic form for Deep Purple, but I actually disagree. I think this is a great album, but one of the reasons is that I think they sound like a band that is no trapped into trying to recapture their glory days. It's not an attempt to sound l ... (read more)

Report this review (#1000413) | Posted by benbell | Wednesday, July 17, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars In an interview a couple of years back, Roger Glover (or it might have been Ian Paice) said that Deep Purple were not sure whether or not they would make a new album. Not everyone in the band felt there was any point. But Glover (and I suspect it was he) said that making an album is like captu ... (read more)

Report this review (#978221) | Posted by FragileKings | Saturday, June 15, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars what a surprise !!!! I think that nobody could think that Deep Purple in 2013 could made a great disc . for me Now What is the better DP album since 1976!!!! Great jam session between Hammond and guitar as the nice years,a good work of Paice and Glover, Ian Gillan has not the voice of 1972, but ... (read more)

Report this review (#964630) | Posted by borussia | Friday, May 24, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DEEP PURPLE "Now What?!"