THE FUGITIVE

Buy TONY BANKS Music
Studio Album, released in 1983

1. This Is Love (5:10)
2. Man of Spells (3:46)
3. And The Wheels Keep Turning (4:48)
4. Say You'll Never Leave Me (4:32)
5. Thirty Three's (4:42)
6. By You (4:28)
7. At the Edge of Night (6:03)
8. Charm (5:26)
9. Moving Under (6:01)
10. K2 (3:58)
11. Sometime Never (3:41)

Search TONY BANKS The Fugitive lyrics

Search TONY BANKS The Fugitive tabs

- Tony Banks / vocals, keyboards, synthesizer bass, Lynn drum
- Daryl Stuermer / guitars
- Mo Foster / bass guitar
- Tony Beard / drums, percussion (1,4,9)
- Steve Gadd / drums, percussion (2,3,6,11)
- Andy Duncan / drums (7,8,10)

LP Charisma TBLP 1 (UK) (1983)
LP Phonogram 812 383 1 (Germany) (1983)

and to The Bearded Bard for the last updates

TONY BANKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TONY BANKS The Fugitive Music

Curious Feeling: 30th Anniversary EditionCurious Feeling: 30th Anniversary Edition
Esoteric Records 2009
Soundtrack · Import
Virgin/EMI Int'l 1995
FugitiveFugitive
EMI Europe Generic 1994
Tony Banks: A Curious Feeling LP VG++/NM Canada Polydor CA-1-2207 US $4.99 Buy It Now 34m 27s
TONY BANKS Genesis Keyboard 1st SOLO LP Curious Feeling US $9.00 Buy It Now 49m 24s
Tony Banks A Curious Feeling Japan ORG Promo White Label Vinyl LP w OBI Genesis US $79.99 Buy It Now 1h 17m
TONY BANKS Soundtrack LP ATLANTIC 1986 GENESIS Player Legend VERY CLEAN w TOYAH! US $9.00 Buy It Now 2h 44m
TONY BANKS A CURIOUS FEELING VINYL LP AUSTRALIA issue rock US $17.79 Buy It Now 3h 7m
Tony Banks - Seven (A Suite for Orchestra) CD (Genesis) (Prog Rock) (2004) US $13.42 Buy It Now 6h 44m
TONY BANKS & NIK KERSHAW I Wanna Change The Score Cd US $16.99 Buy It Now 6h 57m
TONY BANKS - Bankstatement - 1989 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.56 Buy It Now 10h 53m
TONY BANKS NIK KERSHAW Rare UK 1991 CD Single I WANNA CHANGE THE SCORE MINT US $38.60 Buy It Now 13h 6m
"The Fugitive", by Tony Banks (LP, 1983, Atlantic Records) US $5.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS Tony Banks Interview Vintage Music Press Article/Cutting 1973 US $20.15 Buy It Now 1 day
Tony Banks - Soundtracks LP Rare Israeli Press GENESIS US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
TONY BANKS and ANDY TAYLOR UK 1989 12" Single THE GIFT DiscNEW US $7.54 Buy It Now 1 day
the wicked lady(music tony banks)atl-sealed US $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
FISH & TONY BANKS-"SHORT CUT TO SOMEWHERE" 1986 U.K. ISSUE 12" EP-NM VINYL US $9.99 [0 bids]
Tony Banks - The Fugitive [ 33 rpm vinyl ] US $11.00 [0 bids]
OST / "PROMO / NM WAX" TONY BANKS Quicksilver 25VB-1095 OBI LP u0587 US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
TONY BANKS DJ COPY 45: SHORTCUT TO SOMEWHERE(from QUICKSILVER,1986, STEREO) RARE US $29.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Tony Banks: Seven (A Suite for Orchestra) by Mike Dixon Keyboardist from Genesis US $9.99 [0 bids]
KEYBOARD MAGAZINE - NOV. 1984 -TONY BANKS & EVOLUTION OF GENESIS US $3.00 [0 bids]
Genesis CD s/t - Phil Collins, Tony Banks, Mike Rutherford US $10.99 [0 bids]
TONY BANKS - THE FUGITIVE , CHARISMA 1983 , EX/M- ,LP US $7.47 Buy It Now 2 days
TONY BANKS the fugitive TBLP 1 dutch charisma LP PS EX/EX embossed sleeve US $15.26 Buy It Now 2 days
Tony Banks of Genesis - Seven :A Suite for Orchestra (7 track CD album 2004) US $6.72 Buy It Now 2 days
Tony Banks Genesis Atlantic Solo LP 1983 US $12.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Tony Banks - Still (1992 solo release from Genesis keyboardist - Giant Records) US $2.39 Buy It Now 3 days
GENESIS / WE CAN'T DANCE Japan CD OOP Phil Collins Tony Banks Mike Rutherford US $3.14 [2 bids]
TONY BANKS (GENESIS) - "For A While"/"A Curious" - 1979 1st UK 7" Single - A1/B1 US $23.88 Buy It Now 3 days
Tony Banks Feat Andy Taylor The Gift (PS) 12" Vinyl Single US $10.90 Buy It Now 3 days
Tony Banks - Seven - A Suite For Orchestra (2004 Orchestral/"Classical" album) US $1.89 Buy It Now 3 days
GENESIS TONY BANKS original 10x8 inch promo press photo photograph 1486-14 US $16.78 Buy It Now 3 days
Tony Banks,A Curious Feeling,On The Famous Charisma Label Mad Hatter,LP US $10.06 Buy It Now 3 days
Tony Banks,The Fugitive,LP US $10.06 Buy It Now 3 days
Tony Banks,Soundtracks,On The Famous Charisma Label Mad Hatter,LP US $10.06 Buy It Now 3 days
TONY BANKS of GENESIS Japan 1986 NM LP+Obi SOUNDTRACKS US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
GENESIS The Way We Walk, Vol. 2: The Longs CD (UK) PROG Phil Collins, Tony Banks US $2.99 [0 bids]
Fish & Tony Banks original seal intact UK 12 Short Cut to Somewhere US $9.75 Buy It Now 4 days
TONY BANKS a curious feeling +INNER SLVCharisma blue US $15.10 Buy It Now 4 days
TONY BANKS For A While b/w From THe Undertow STOCK 45 M- US $7.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Tony Banks This Is Love/Same 45 RPM US $7.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Tony Banks - A Curious Feeling LP Genesis US $13.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Tony Banks / A Curious Feeling - 1979 LP (NM/EX) US $12.50 Buy It Now 5 days
TONY BANKS 'THE FUGITIVE' US IMPORT LP US $12.07 Buy It Now 5 days
Tony Banks (Genesis) A Curious Feeling 1979 Charisma CAS 1148 UK Vinyl LP US $4.11 Buy It Now 5 days
Soundtracks: Tony Banks of Genesis SEALED US $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
TONY BANKS: A Curious Feeling (Charisma) 1979 US $9.22 Buy It Now 5 days
The Way We Walk Vol. 2 GENESIS LIVE Tony Banks Phil Collins Limited Ediiton CD US $4.95 Buy It Now 5 days
Tony Banks Genesis - Fugitive Cutout SEALED US $18.11 Buy It Now 5 days
Bankstatement- self titled- Tony Banks- new/sealed cassette tape US $5.00 Buy It Now 6 days
TONY BANKS GENESIS BANKSTATEMENT LP 1988 USA ATLANTIC RECORDS US $13.13 Buy It Now 6 days
TONY BANKS a curious feeling LP 11 track embossed sleeve with inner (cas1148) uk US $8.38 Buy It Now 6 days
TONY BANKS fugitive LP 9 track (tblp1) uk charisma 1983 US $8.38 Buy It Now 6 days
TONY BANKS This Is Love b/w Charm STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 6 days
FISH/TONY BANKS Short Cut To Somewhere/Smilin' Jack Casey/K2 12" VINYL SINGLE US $16.78 Buy It Now 6 days
Tony Banks - Bankstatement holepunch SEALED US $22.65 Buy It Now 6 days
Tony Banks -- A Curious Feeling 1979 album on CD Caroline Blue Plate // Genesis US $49.99 Buy It Now 6 days
TONY BANKS / A CURIOUS FEELING / 1979 LP WITH INNER SLEEVE A1/B1 GENESIS US $8.38 Buy It Now 6 days
TONY BANKS THE FUGITIVE & PHIL COLLINS BOTH SIDES (2 CASSETTES) READ NOTES US $0.99 [0 bids]
5012981265823 Still by Tony Banks (1991) - Import CD - FAST POST US $10.06 Buy It Now 6 days
TONY BANKS (GENESIS) THE FUGITIVE CD GOLD DISC FREE P&P US $147.75 Buy It Now 7 days
TONY BANKS GENESIS) BANKSTATEMENT CD GOLD DISC FREE P&P US $147.75 Buy It Now 7 days
GENESIS Vtg 1980`s Button Badge Pin (25mm-1") Phil Collins Tony Banks#GEN105 US $3.34 Buy It Now 7 days
TONY BANKS FEATURING ANDY TAYLOR gift 12" 3 trk test pressing in title stickered US $8.38 Buy It Now 7 days
TONY BANKS from GENESIS solo USA DJ 7" 45 THIS IS LOVE US $3.60 Buy It Now 7 days
Genesis Invisible Touch UK Vinyl LP Signed Copy Mike & Mechanics Tony Banks US $99.99 Buy It Now 8 days
TONY BANKS~"A Curious Feeling"~UK Charisma LP 1979~CAS1148~GENESIS+WICKED LADY!! US $13.42 Buy It Now 8 days
Tony Banks "A Curious Feeling" 12" LP, 1979 Charisma USA, Genesis related US $2.00 [0 bids]
TONY BANKS GENESIS ISRAEL LP ISRAELI PRESSING HEBREW COVER US $35.00 Buy It Now 8 days
PROG Tony Banks Still ORIGINAL Virgin CDV2658 Genesis Marillion Fish Progressive US $29.99 Buy It Now 8 days
TONY BANKS - A CURIOUS FEELING VINYL LP + INNER - TONY BANKS US $5.02 Buy It Now 8 days
TONY BANKS A CURIOUS FEELING CD GOLD DISC LP FREE P+P! US $147.75 Buy It Now 8 days
BANKSTATEMENT Bankstatement LP Tony Banks Genesis Steve Hillage US $16.79 Buy It Now 8 days
Curious Feeling-Remastered - Tony Banks (2009, CD New) US $10.84 Buy It Now 8 days
TONY BANKS - CURIOUS FEELING: 30TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION NEW CD US $25.11 Buy It Now 8 days
Tony Banks-Soundtracks LP 1986 Atlantic TOYAH Fish GENESIS US $4.90 Buy It Now 9 days
TONY BANKS - I WANNA CHANGE THE SCORE 1TK PROMO DJ CD CS24 US $9.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Tony Banks A Curious Feeling: 30th Anniversary Edition CD US $11.78 Buy It Now 9 days
TONY BANKS - A CURIOUS FEELING [SLIPCASE] - NEW CD US $15.31 Buy It Now 9 days
Tony Banks - Seven: A Suite For Orchestra (Dixon LPO) (Music CD) US $17.13 Buy It Now 9 days
Tony Banks: Six pieces for orchestra (Music CD) US $17.13 Buy It Now 9 days
The Wicked Lady - Soundtrack by Tony Banks (Genesis)-Free UK post US $17.80 Buy It Now 9 days
TONY BANKS GENESIS A Curious Feeling A1 B1 UK 1st Press Stunning Near Mint!! US $16.78 [0 bids]
Tony Banks - Curious Feeling-Remastered CD US $27.74 Buy It Now 10 days
A Curious Feeling [Slipcase] by Tony Banks (CD, Oct-... US $15.85 Buy It Now 10 days
Tony Banks - Curious Feeling A (Music CD) US $27.98 Buy It Now 10 days
Tony Banks(Vinyl LP Album)The Fugitive-Charisma-TBLP 1-VG/Ex US $24.33 Buy It Now 10 days
Tony Banks(Vinyl LP Album)The Fugitive-Charisma-TBLP 1-VG/Ex US $22.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Six Pieces for Orchestra, Tony Banks, New US $8.01 Buy It Now 10 days
Tony Banks (Genesis) The Fugitive Movie Soundtrack LP VG+ US $12.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Still by Tony Banks (CD, Apr-1992, Giant (USA))- NEAR MINT US $1.39 Buy It Now 10 days
POP ROCK/ Tony Banks - This Is Love / At The Edge Of Night (Promo) US $12.99 Buy It Now 10 days
TONY BANKS-The Fugitive US LP US $24.99 Buy It Now 11 days
BANKSTATEMENT 7" VINYL I'LL BE WAITING VIRGIN 1208 TONY BANKS GENESIS US $6.03 Buy It Now 11 days
Genesis -- Trespass CD Peter Gabriel Tony Banks Anthony Phillips The Knife US $5.99 Buy It Now 11 days
TONY BANKS - A Curious Feeling - Excellent Condition LP Record Charisma CAS 1148 US $13.40 Buy It Now 11 days
? Tony Banks - A Curious Feeling (PL) (of Genesis) US $14.99 Buy It Now 11 days
TONY BANKS--A Curious Feeling--LP US $9.59 Buy It Now 11 days
Tony Banks: Six Pieces for Orchestra (CD, Mar-2012, Naxos (Distributor)) US $10.99 Buy It Now 11 days
TONY BANKS, A CURIOUS FEELING /GENESIS SOLO ALBUM/ LP UK A1/B1 VG+/VG+, INNER/SL US $5.86 Buy It Now 11 days
TONY BANKS, SOUNDTRACKS /GENESIS/ LP 1986 UK A1/B1 EX+/EX- US $6.70 Buy It Now 11 days

More places to buy TONY BANKS music online Buy TONY BANKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TONY BANKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TONY BANKS The Fugitive ratings distribution

TONY BANKS The Fugitive reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
1 stars Tony, WTF............ Not that I expected (but somehow in my wildest dreams or wishful thinking) you to draw up an album that would give us back Foxtrot, but I was expecting something along the lines of your debut. Nothing of the sort here. Well at least you avoided making duds like the second album from Mike and especially the second from Phil. No I do not hate for this album, but I could've saved my money for some other use, as I was usually broke in those days!!! PS: find a singer ;-)

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#27169) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 01, 2004

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars Guilty as charged

For Bank's second solo album, he decided to take on the lead vocals himself. This was a bad move!

The first track, "This is love" has a strangely catchy feel to it. It shouldn't really be all that good, as the vocals are average and the song basic, but it does work. Unfortunately, the rest of the album is poor, lacking in direction, and in dire need of a decent melody.

Banks moves further away from his Genesis roots here, especially in prog terms, but even in terms of that band's melodic pop period. While moving away from one style might be justifiable, Bank's cardinal sin is that he fails to move towards anything else! The songs are little more than basic pop rock devoid of inspiration.

In all, a disappointing album, even the sleeve is unimaginative and dull.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#27170) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 19, 2004

Review by greenback
3 stars BANK's new keyboards always made me wonder if he has been able to cope with the mew technology. The album is obviously full of keyboards, but it is not the proggy style of the 70's he was used to give us. Lot of discrete keyboards. This is light, diluted, sometimes tedious for the ears. I'm not sure the lead vocals have always the right note, despite the voice sound rather pleasant. The whole is pop, but not catchy at all!

"Charm" is better, because more complex and instrumental; buy it for this song at least.

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#27171) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 08, 2004

Review by daveconn
4 stars Not the runaway success it might have been, "The Fugitive" is still the best of the Tony BANKS solo efforts, featuring melodic and magical pop songs that work their way under the skin despite his somewhat limited voice. Although the music isn't far removed from GENESIS' loopier synthetic confections ("Mama," "Dodo"), "The Fugitive" escapes band comparisons better than "A Curious Feeling", more Pete SHELLEY than Peter GABRIEL, more Steve HILLAGE than Steve HACKETT. Handling the vocals himself, BANKS follows a long line of tradition that says GENESIS members must warble at least once; despite being the last member to take the plunge, Banks acquits himself better than HACKETT, Anthony PHILLIPS or Mike RUTHEFORD. He's no singer, but he doesn't hurt himself either, similar to SHELLEY and HILLAGE in that their voice takes a backseat to the music without distracting the driver. And the real story here is the songwriting, where cool effects and occasionally exotic sounds swirl around melodies that draw the listener in like a magnet.

Over the course of a year, during which I played this poor tape so often it nearly melted, each song took a turn as my favorite; from the mystic "Man of Spells" and the romantic "Say You'll Never Leave Me" to more invigorating pop songs like "This Is Love" and "And The Wheels Keep Turning," all the way to the instrumentals "Charm" and "Thirty-Threes". Granted, albums grow on us the more we listen to them (especially when we're captive in a car, as was the case here), but even without the fond memories I'd like this album. Since this is progressive pop rather than prog rock, "The Fugitive" works on two levels: (1) as a superficial album of pop music and (2) as a series of vignettes suitable for contemplation. There might even be a concept involved here ("Moving Under" seems to wrap things up neatly). Deeper meaning or not, "The Fugitive" is worth hunting down as a supplement to your GENESIS collection, an innocent and charming sidenote to a storied career.

Send comments to daveconn (BETA) | Report this review (#27173) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 17, 2004

Review by Hibou
2 stars What shall we call this album, BANKS' first attempt at pop? I have a feeling the boy just wanted to have fun, play around a little, get away from the old GENESIS routine. Ok, I'll admit it: I'm biased when it comes to Tony B. - the man simply can do no wrong. But it wouldn't be fair to all of you proggers so I'll try to be honest. I suppose if an unknown artist has put this album out, no one (including myself) would have cared to listen to it, save go out and buy it. But it just so happens that we, prog-starved mongrels of the boring 80's, would get our hands on anything remotely G-related at the time. "The Fugitive" is far from genial but some tunes do save the day: "This Is Love", "And the Wheels Keep Turning", "By You" and the instrumental track "Thirty-Three's" do it for me. As for "Charm", it is quite moving but every time hear it, I feel as though it had been recorded from a warped LP, or one with an off-centered middle hole. As for TONY's voice, it's surely not stunning but it does have its charms; I personally prefer it to all the average vocalists he has hired over the years.

"The Fugitive" is a nice piece of memorabilia and perhaps your only chance to hear him 'warble' his own tunes (as Dave Connolly so wittily put it) on an entire album.

Send comments to Hibou (BETA) | Report this review (#27172) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 25, 2004

Review by Chris S
4 stars I love Bank's second solo contribution as well. The fact that these guys had licence to release albums with limited vocal abilities perhaps gives an unusual tick in the box for the record companies at the time. Rutherford and his ' Acting Very Strange' project standing testimony to that. Musically the album is very strong and has a commercial edge to it. I like TB's vocal sound, almost Beatlesque at times. There are no dudd tracks but the highlights for me are 'And the Wheels Keep Turning ', ' Thirty Threes', ' By you' and the moving ' Man of Spells'

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#27174) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 09, 2004

Review by Gatot
2 stars What can I say about this album? At one part of the history (of me), this album represented a good break while most prog lovers in my country at that time were having a Genesis fever. One of the driving force was the existence of a great tribute band named as COCKPIT who could emulate the songs of Genesis (then and now) very similar. The keyboard player, Ronny Harahap is a great keyboard player our country has. He even played the full intro of "Firth of Fifth" when Cockpit did a concert in Jakarta or Bandung. The band could also emulate "Supper's Ready" in its entirety. So everybody in my country at that time was GENESISized.

As the concerts of Cockpit took place in many places in Indonesia, they also played some songs of Genesis solo albums, including one song from "The Fugitive" album by Tony Banks. The song was very famous and became radio hit in Jakarta, called "This Is Love". Of couse, it's not a prog song at all. But, the nusnce where this song was hit in Jakarta represented the Genesis wave in my country altogeter with the popularity of medley "In The cage - The Cinema Show - Afterglow".

Back to this "The Fugitive" I can only say that this is a totally pop outfit by Tony Banks whom previously released good prog album "A Curious Feeling". The other track that became radio hit was "Say You'll Never Leave Me". As long as there is no prog boundary implied, this is a good album. It's suitable for collectors / fans only. But the music is accessible to many ears; so many people can actually enjoy this music. The composition comprises a blend of pop, reggae and rock music. People usually like the interlude keyboard solo in "This is Love". Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#49638) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 01, 2005

Review by Tarcisio Moura
1 stars My goodness, what a disapointment! After the classic "A Curious Feeling" we got this! I'm really trying to find out what Tony Banks tried to do with this album. It reminds me a lot of Mike Rutheford's forgetable Acting Very Strange. Yet I find The Fugitive even worse. It's a very weak album by any standard even if you (like me) like Genesis most commercial pop songs. Banks is surely a genius, a fantastic keyboards player and Genesis would never be what they were without him. His solo output may be erratic, but he always manage to put some great songs on them and to bring on some good vocal performances. That's exactly the problem here. No song on this album is really great, or even very good. Mediocre at best. Most fo the time his vocals are almost hidden behind a wall of effects, which do not help to bring some life to those lacklustre tracks. Fortunatly mr. Banks never again would release such a bad disc, either solo or with Genesis. And some of his later effords were very strong, like the brilliant Strinctly Inc. If you're a Genesis fan, avoid at all costs.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#84065) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Review by ghost_of_morphy
1 stars I loved this album back in the day. I really did. I wore out my cassette copy playing "And The Wheels Keep Turning." But I've got to tell you, this is a one and a half star album. It's not progressive, except for the odd chord choice here and there. And it's certainly not pop, or at least good pop. When I pull this out now, I find only about half the songs listenable. In fact, the only reason I'd go beyond the first three tracks would be to get at "At The Edge Of Night" or "Moving Under." My real complaint here is about the sound, though. Of course, Tony isn't a singer and we should probably be grateful that he does a really good job on a few of the songs. Still, I expect a lot more variety of sound out of a keyboardist, and the percussion here is about as bland as any that I've ever heard.

I still like about half of this album. Some of the songs bring back great memories. But I have to admit that for most people, this is a one star album.

Send comments to ghost_of_morphy (BETA) | Report this review (#122050) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 14, 2007

Review by progaardvark
2 stars Four years after Banks first solo album, he released The Fugitive. During those four years Genesis had turned itself into a radio-friendly hit machine and shed most of its progressive rock foundation. Tony Banks was no different with this solo album. If you were expecting something like his debut, A Curious Feeling, you will be severely disappointed.

Instead of progressive rock, Banks gave us a collection of keyboard-driven pop numbers, some with minor prog tendencies. The second thing Banks gave us was his voice in all its glory. If you've ever wondered why Banks or Rutherford don't play a more forward role in vocals, this solo album explains a lot about why Banks doesn't.

Even though there isn't much of anything progressive about this album, I must say that some of the music is enjoyable, particularly the instrumentals. Banks can still create some nice melodies, even if this album seems more like goofing off than anything serious. The rest is quite bland and overall there is a sort of "sameness" to the whole album. An interesting acquisition for fans of Banks (and even some Genesis fans), but not important for prog rock collectors. Two stars.

Send comments to progaardvark (BETA) | Report this review (#131098) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Review by Guillermo
2 stars I think that Tony Banks was asking himself in 1982-1983 if he really could make a solo album which could be as successful as Phil Collins`solo albums. Being himself, in my opinion, the real leader of the band since Peter Gabriel left them, because I still think that if Banks didn`t like Pop Rock songs GENESIS couldn`t record them in their albums, I think that maybe he thought that he should try to record a solo Pop Rock album. Mike Rutherford did the same in 1982 with his Acting Very Strange album which really lacked good lead vocals sung by himself. Banks tried the same with this album, released in mid 1983, singing lead vocals, and in comparison to Rutherford, Banks is a better lead singer, with his vocals working very well with the songs of this album. The songs in this album are really not very Pop Rock but not really very Progressive Rock in style. I think that he found a balance between both styles, not leaving at all his introspective and dark lyrics. His keyboards` playing style still sounds very GENESIS and personal, so he really couldn`t leave behind his essence as musician. So, he wasn`t so successful to make a whole Pop Rock album in style. I think that it was a good effort which showed some new keyboards sounds which he was going to use in his next albums with GENESIS. I still think that this album was much better than GENESIS`self-titled album of the same year, and this album is more of historical interest because Banks appears as lead singer doing a good job, in my opinion. The cover art is very similar to the cover art of some GENESIS` albums from the same period ("Abacab" and "Three Sides Live"). Very simple.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#159996) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 27, 2008

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
1 stars What was he running from? His Prog roots!

The solo career of Tony Banks is hardly the most interesting of the Genesis member's solo careers. His whole solo discography is rather weak all the way through with only minor variations in style and quality. The Fugitive is the least good of all his solo albums, not because it is wholly awful but because it is rather dull. The vocals are all by Tony himself this time and his voice is a bit similar to that of Anthony Phillips. Many people complain about the vocals on this album, but I think that the problem mainly lies in the songs themselves; the vocals are indeed decent, but with nothing good to sing they fall flat. There is hardly anything memorable in these songs and they mostly sound pretty much the same. The instrumental Charm is indeed rather charming, but hardly good.

All the songs here are between three and six minutes and in some of the longer ones there are occasionally something that briefly reminds you of Tony's progressive past. But overall, this is rather anonymous music that could have been made by any number of soft Rock artists of the time. Do I need to add that this music is hardly progressive at all? Well, it isn't anyway.

Tony Banks' solo discography is really primarily for fans and collectors, but if you want to check out his solo work, The Fugitive is not the place to begin. On the contrary, this is the album you should get only if you have all the others and still want more. You're likely to buy this album just to complete your collection.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#257848) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 26, 2009

1 stars On to the second solo album of Tony Banks. The first album didn't get me really lusting for this one. "This is Love" - Better than a lot of tracks on the first album. This is a "pop" song but it has an interesting construction and sound. There is almost a reggae feel to a lot of this track. ... (read more)

Report this review (#948666) | Posted by sukmytoe | Wednesday, April 24, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Tony Banks tries to find his way to solo success of fellow current Genesis bandmates Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford instead of former mates Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, and Ant Phillips. Initially, the pair follow the latter trio with prog albums as their initial releases with very good ... (read more)

Report this review (#731206) | Posted by tdfloyd | Monday, April 16, 2012 | Review Permanlink

1 stars I have listened to this album twice now. I have heard 'Still', and think is is a fantastic pop album, with a wide variety of styles and tempo changes. I have also heard a curious feeling, which is also a touching album. This is utterly, totally bland. Every single song sounds exactly the same. Bo ... (read more)

Report this review (#660957) | Posted by Moses455 | Friday, March 16, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Released in between Genesis' 11th and 12th studio albums, but closer to the 12th, Tony Banks second album is again very much the sound of being in between those albums, and even of being closer in sound to the 12th Genesis album. It's interesting to hear the progression of the keyboard sounds ... (read more)

Report this review (#568993) | Posted by 7headedchicken | Wednesday, November 16, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The Fugitive is a good album, maybe not what I would expect from a progressive keyboard master, but still good. If you see the album out from the progressive context, you can find a collection of great pop tracks, very originals. Tony's voice is unconventional and not commercial but has a trad ... (read more)

Report this review (#289430) | Posted by genbanks | Tuesday, July 06, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars First the prog fan information leaflet: WARNING: this record may cause heavy disappointment and confusion among devoted prog / Genesis fans. Even disgust and tendency to vomit belong to the possible side - effects. This is not a very popular prog album amongst prog fans, and now I'm being ve ... (read more)

Report this review (#244782) | Posted by Moogtron III | Thursday, October 15, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I realize I'm probably one of the only people to rate The Fugitive and Acting Very Strange as equal, or higher to the debut albums by Tony and Mike. However, I have my reasons. I won't go into "Acting Very Strange" because I already discussed it. But I will discuss, in depth, the Fugitive. ... (read more)

Report this review (#238664) | Posted by SonicDeath10 | Friday, September 11, 2009 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Tony, you know I love ya, but you just shouldn't sing lead vocals. On each of his other solo albums, Tony has been wise enough to limit himself to no more than one lead vocal performance. And singing one song would be reasonable, since the album cover does say Tony Banks, after all. But, for ... (read more)

Report this review (#158273) | Posted by bassandbeyond | Thursday, January 10, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I would like to say that Sean Trane's opening of his review Tony, WTF sums up this album and he is quite right in expressing after A Curious Feeling you would expect the next album to improve. But The Fugitive is a totally different kettle of fish and typical 80's synth pop opening up with This ... (read more)

Report this review (#131831) | Posted by intruder369 | Sunday, August 05, 2007 | Review Permanlink

1 stars After hearing Tony's orchestral Seven (quite good) and the firs solo effort I started to listen to this with high expectations. Bearing in mind thing that Steve and Ant have done after going solo... Dissapointment was huge! This is a mediocre pop album that has nothing whatsoever to geve to me ... (read more)

Report this review (#76694) | Posted by pirkka | Sunday, April 30, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TONY BANKS "The Fugitive"