BANKSTATEMENT

Good, but non-essential

Buy TONY BANKS Music
Studio Album, released in 1989

1. Throwback (4:39)
2. I'll Be Waiting (5:56)
3. Queen Of Darkness (4:26)
4. That Night (4:41)
5. Raincloud (4:40)
6. The Border (5:52)
7. Big Man (4:16)
8. A House Needs A Roof (4:07)
9. The More I Hide It (4:30)
10. Diamonds Aren't So Hard (Not on LP versions) (5:12)
11. Thursday the Twelfth (4:48)

Search TONY BANKS Bankstatement lyrics

Search TONY BANKS Bankstatement tabs

- Tony Banks / synthesizers, keyboards, backing vocals, lead vocal (7), bass synthesizer
- Steve Hillage / guitar
- Martin Ditcham / conga, tambourine (5)
- Geoff Dugmore / drums
- Alistair Gordon / vocals, backing vocals (1,2,4-6,10)
- Jayney Klimek / vocals, backing vocals (3,4,8)
- Dick Nolan / guitar, bass (3,6,7)
- Pino Palladino / bass (1,2,4,5,11)

The Phantom Horns:
- John Thirkell / trumpet (1)
- Derek Watkins / trumpet (1)
- Gary Barnacle / saxophone (1)
- Pete Thoms / trombone (1)

CD Atlantic 82007-2 (1989 USA)
LP Atlantic 82007-1 (1989 USA)
LP Virgin V2600 (1989 UK)

and to Joolz for the last updates

TONY BANKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TONY BANKS Bankstatement Music

BankstatementBankstatement
Import · Remastered
Virgin/EMI Int'l 1995
BankstatementBankstatement
Virgin
Vinyl$8.28 (used)
Bankstatement Tony Banks vinyl LP album record UK V2600 VIRGIN 1989 USD $32.58 Buy It Now 2 days
BANKSTATEMENT Bankstatment RAREOOP EXPANDED CD Tony Banks GENESIS Steve Hillage USD $8.99 Buy It Now 5 days
TONY BANKS[GENESIS]Steve Hillage: BANKSTATEMENT [Throwback,Queen of Darkness++] USD $15.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Tony Banks Bankstatement 1989 Sealed LP Genesis Sticker Progressive Rock Record USD $59.90 Buy It Now 6 days
TONY BANKS BANKSTATEMENT OUT NOW ALBUM 1989 GENESIS 30X20 POSTER ADVERT USD $6.20 Buy It Now 8 days
7"-Single TONY BANKS' BANKSTATEMENT - Throwback (1979) GERMANY PS / GENESIS-SOLO USD $9.99 Buy It Now 16 days
TONY BANKS - Bankstatement - 1989 Magazine Advertisment Poster USD $7.00 Buy It Now 17 days
Tony Banks (Genesis) - Here is your Bankstatement - CD (U.K. Promo 4 x Track) USD $20.26 Buy It Now 18 days
TONY BANKS GENESIS BANKSTATEMENT LP 1988 USA ATLANTIC RECORDS USD $17.99 Buy It Now 23 days
Bankstatement- self titled- Tony Banks- new/sealed cassette tape USD $5.00 Buy It Now 23 days
Tony Banks - Bankstatement holepunch SEALED USD $21.49 Buy It Now 23 days
Bankstatement - "I'll Be Waiting" 7" (1989) EX (Tony Banks Genesis) VS 1208 USD $10.87 Buy It Now 23 days
TONY BANKS GENESIS) BANKSTATEMENT CD GOLD DISC FREE P&P USD $139.93 Buy It Now 24 days
Bankstatement Tony Banks vinyl LP album record UK V2600 VIRGIN 1989 USD $39.11 Buy It Now 25 days
BANKSTATEMENT Bankstatement LP Tony Banks Genesis Steve Hillage USD $15.55 Buy It Now 25 days
Bankstatement, Tony Banks (Genesis) US Atlantic Records 82007-1 " Sealed " USD $18.00 Buy It Now 27 days
BANKSTATEMENT 7" VINYL I'LL BE WAITING VIRGIN 1208 TONY BANKS GENESIS USD $5.22 Buy It Now 28 days
Bankstatement CD by Tony Banks WITHOUT REAR INLAY USD $15.53 Buy It Now 29 days
CD a curious feeling ~ USD $15.01

More places to buy TONY BANKS music online Buy TONY BANKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TONY BANKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TONY BANKS Bankstatement ratings distribution

TONY BANKS Bankstatement reviews

Review by daveconn
3 stars Surely with the success of Mike + The Mechanics, the time was right for Tony BANKS to join his GENESIS mates at the top of the charts. Or so the thinking probably went; but Tony's temporary rebranding as "Bankstatement" ended up on the loss side of the balance sheets, commercially anyway. Produced by Steve HILLAGE and featuring a pair of strong vocalists in Alistair Gordon and Jayney Klimek, "Bankstatement" was the closest thing to a full-fledged contender that BANKS had released yet, augmenting his keyboard-led creations with palpable production value.

At times, especially when Klimek takes the lead, "Bankstatement" seems like a viable option artistically (just recall how good Toyah Wilcox sounded on "Lion of Symmetry"). Alistair Gordon's voice is less consistent; the opening "Throwback" ends up sounding like Was Not Was' "Knocked Down, Made Small (Treated Like A Rubber Ball)", Lou Gramm comes to mind on "The More I Hide It," Barry Manilow on "That Night". Gordon gets the lion's share of the leads, which was likely intended as a means to compete with Mike + The Mechanics, but Klimek gets the best moments: "Queen of Darkness" and "A House Needs A Roof.".

Despite being credited with guitar, HILLAGE has little audible effect on the outcome, though his handiwork is evident on the Eastern-tinged "Big Man" (which starts with a reference to GENESIS' "Watcher of the Skies"). Thankfully, BANKS' character still comes through on "Bankstatement". No doubt the labels would have liked an entire album of adult contemporary pop, but it's when "Bankstatement" resists these expectations and returns to BANKS' strengths that the record truly succeeds. And if you enjoyed the instrumentals on "The Fugitive", check out "Thursday the Twelfth."

Send comments to daveconn (BETA) | Report this review (#27183) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 17, 2004

Review by Chris S
3 stars More attempts at commercial parity with his peers....but there are some wonderful moments on this album especially ' I'll be waiting' 'Raincloud' and ' The border' which would have been comfortable on any Genesis album. I sometimes wonder what Bank's works would have sounded like with PC behind the mic!

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#27184) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 09, 2004

Review by Snow Dog
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors & Omissions Team
1 stars I expected a lot from this album due to Banks being a main Genesis songwriter and a great tinkler of the keys, but it fails to deliver! All the tracks are mere "soundscapes" with rather ordinary vocals sung on top. The songs start as they mean to go on and then just fade way at the end. Every one. Funnily,the stand out track for me is the Banks sung one "Big Man". Other than that a rather forgettable experience! Not an unpleasant album by any means, but lacking in any real "go". Seems an album aimed for commercial success and failing.

Send comments to Snow Dog (BETA) | Report this review (#48491) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 26, 2005

Review by horza
2 stars I really expected a lot of this album when I bought it back in the day.Steve Hillage guested on guitar and his was the first gig I had ever attended.Tony Banks was a keyboard player that I really admired.I remember that at about the time I purchased this I also bought Wet Dreams by Richard Wright. Keyboards was my favourite instrument and I had hoped for stirring stuff. I was to be disappointed. This album was much weaker than Wet Dreams,and I remember being thankful that I had never found a Peter Bardens solo album. The pain may have been too much to bare. Tony Banks was crucial to the success of Genesis,but as a solo artist he left me wanting so much more.

Send comments to horza (BETA) | Report this review (#50791) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 08, 2005

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars Six years after releasing the hideous "The Fugitive" album, Tony Banks returns to the solo spot with Bankstatement. Thank God I listened to this album after The Fugitive. Both deal much with pop music, but while the former is a total disaster, with bad songs and a rather lacklustre vocal, the latter is actually much better in both subjects. It seemes that Banks found out that his voice is not really ideal even for his songs (he sings only one track here). So he called two good vocalists fot this task. Right move. Also his songwriting here is fine. Pop music with a little hint of prog, ok, but fine nevertheless. In fact, if some of the materail were recorded by Genesis, they would probably be hits. If you don't believe me just hear the first track Throwback and try NOT to think Phill Collins singing it. It's a perfect Genesis late 80's song and a sure top ten single IF Collins had sung it and had the label Genesis print on it.

Certainly it's not Banks in it's prime but I have to admit I like this album. At first it really sounds a bit flat and bopring. But after a couple of listenings you'll probably finding out the fine subtletities most of the tunes have. It's not Tony banks best, far from that, but good anyway. If you're a fan of 80's Genesis music I recomended it

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#84673) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 24, 2006

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars Low on credit?

Having failed to achieve the level of solo success enjoyed by his peers (Gabriel, Collins Hackett & Rutherford) from Genesis, Tony Banks released under the name Bankstatement what was really another solo album. Unfortunately, the venture was no more commercially successful than his previous attempts, and the name was quickly dropped.

For this album, Banks brought in the legendary Steve Hillage on guitar and production duties. While the production is indeed top notch, the talents of both Hillage and Banks are largely wasted in a collection of anonymous pop and soft rock songs. Sensibly, Banks takes a back seat on vocal duties on all but one of the tracks. He employs Alistair Gordon for six of the nine tracks, Jayney Klimek singing on a further two and dueting with Gordon on "That night". Gordon sounds very like future Genesis singer Ray Wilson, his throaty style also being reminiscent of Kim Bacon's contribution to Banks' first solo album.

The album opens in rather worrying fashion, with a brass intro to an upbeat pop rock number, which is rather too much in the vein of Phil Collins solo work. The "keyboard brass" is "augmented" by the real brass of The Phantom horns. Fortunately, this is the only track with a brass arrangement.

In rather predictable fashion the upbeat pop songs alternate with reflective ballads. Of the ballads, "I'll be waiting" is a pleasant but undistinguished song with breathing keyboards, while "That night" is a sugary middle of the road duet. The upbeat songs are the least appealing though, especially when Banks insists on singing on the "Jesus he knows me" related "Big man". "I need a roof" is probably the album's nadir, with all the characteristics of a Cindi Lauper reject and featuring lyrics such as "Call me, please talk to me, tell me the truth, I need to believe like a house needs a roof".

There are a couple of slightly more exciting songs. "Queen of darkness" is a bit heavier, the female lead vocal making for a pleasant change. "The border" sees Alistair Gordon sounding more than ever like Ray Wilson, Banks' supporting keyboards giving the track slightly more depth.

The main problem is the although Banks writes all the songs, his keyboards never take centre stage, preferring to maintain a supporting role throughout. The sole exception is the closing instrumental "Thursday the twelfth", when Banks finally comes up with something a little more constructive. Even here though, he hardly challenges himself, the piece being a mid-paced plod through some pretty straightforward keyboard exercises.

Not Banks' finest hour by any means, and a further indication that Phil Collins was far from being the only guilty party in Genesis migration to the murky world of pop.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#94412) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 13, 2006

3 stars Tony Banks has another crack at pop success and he doesn't succeed. It must have been frustrating for the main writer in Genesis not to have the success the four other members from their artistic heyday. Released in the last year of the 1980's, Banks created an album that had more polish th ... (read more)

Report this review (#245600) | Posted by tdfloyd | Thursday, October 22, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars In 1989, Tony Banks' colleague from Genesis, Mike Rutherford, was enjoying commercial success with his band outside Genesis, Mike & The Mechanics. Since Phil Collins also had enormous success as a solo artist, Tony now was the only artist within Genesis who didn't find himself a steady audience o ... (read more)

Report this review (#245578) | Posted by Moogtron III | Wednesday, October 21, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars If Genesis fans had a fit after The Fugitive, they must really have been driven up the wall by this album. A "debut" album by a "band" that Tony created (I use the quotes because this was as much a band as any other group Tony had worked with on his solo albums before) it was an even stronger ... (read more)

Report this review (#238658) | Posted by SonicDeath10 | Friday, September 11, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I largely concur with previous reviewers in my opinion of this album. There's nothing particularly offensive about Bankstatement, but there's nothing particularly memorable about it, either. Overall, it's a nice production. Good singers, great keyboard textures from Banks, and a few musically ... (read more)

Report this review (#158289) | Posted by bassandbeyond | Thursday, January 10, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars As with GTR, I expected more out of the collaboration between Banks and Hillage and got a poppy result. Jayney Klimek comes across like a 'Stars In Their Eyes' version of Aimee Mann (then of Til Tuesday)down to the blonde dreads, but minus the lyrical wit. Alistair Gordon I'm not sure about. ... (read more)

Report this review (#27185) | Posted by pickle | Friday, August 20, 2004 | Review Permanlink

4 stars One of the great mysteries concerning Genesis is 1. the lack of respect for Tony Banks 2. How important Tony is to the sound of Genesis 3. How underated Tony is as a writer. Many might frown at Tony Banks musical direction that he has taken in both Genesis and his solo career, but in admitance, T ... (read more)

Report this review (#27182) | Posted by | Tuesday, March 30, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TONY BANKS "Bankstatement"