AMBROSIA

Ambrosia Ambrosia album cover

rock music collection

Buy AMBROSIA Music
Studio Album, released in 1975

1. Nice, Nice, Very Nice (5:49)
2. Time Waits For No One (5:01)
3. Holdin' On To Yesterday (4:19)
4. World Leave Me Alone (3:17)
5. Make Us All Aware (4:28)
6. Lover Arrive (3:12)
7. Mama Frog (6:05)
8. Drink Of Water (6:29)

Search AMBROSIA Ambrosia lyrics

Search AMBROSIA Ambrosia tabs

- Joe Puerta / bass guitar & lead vocals
- David Pack / guitars, lead vocals & keyboards on "Lover Arrive"
- Christopher North / keyboards & vocals
- Burleigh Drummond / percussion, bassoon & vocals

Warner Bros. # 9 47565-2

AMBROSIA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy AMBROSIA Ambrosia Music

AnthologyAnthology
Warner Bros / Wea 1997
Ambrosia / Somewhere I've Never Travelled (2 LP's on 2 CD's/Remastered/Limited Edition)Ambrosia / Somewhere I've Never Travelled (2 LP's on 2 CD's/Remastered/Limited Edition)
Limited Edition · Remastered
Friday Music 2012
Somewhere I've Never TravelledSomewhere I've Never Travelled
Warner Off Roster 2000
Life Beyond L.A.: The Deluxe Edition (2xCD)Life Beyond L.A.: The Deluxe Edition (2xCD)
Friday Music 2013
One EightyOne Eighty
Rock Candy 2014
Road IslandRoad Island
Rock Candy 2014
AMBROSIA - ONE EIGHTY - NICE USED PROMO WARNER BROS RECORD 1980 US $9.00 Buy It Now 54m 52s
Ambrosia Shape I'm In / You're The Only Woman 45 NM US $6.95 Buy It Now 7h 22m
45 AMBROSIA - Biggest Part Of Me/Livin' On my Own w/ WB 49225 sleeve US $3.99 Buy It Now 8h 46m
NOS AMBROSIA......IF HEAVEN COULD FIND ME US $5.00 Buy It Now 8h 53m
Inside Moves-ost-wb-lp-*partially Sealed*-ambrosia-3506 US $4.99 Buy It Now 10h 13m
AMBROSIA-SELF TITLED WITH INSERT-20TH CENTURY T-434 NO BARCODES VG+/VG LP US $9.98 Buy It Now 12h 27m
AMBROSIA - ROAD ISLAND - 1982 ORIG. N/M VINYL & COVER US $9.00 Buy It Now 12h 37m
AMBROSIA - Life beyond L.A. LP Warner Bros Records US US $39.99 Buy It Now 13h 23m
Ambrosia 45 Life Beyond L.A. - PROMO rpm 7" vinyl US $2.00 Buy It Now 15h 30m
Ambrosia 45 Biggest Part of Me / Livinon My Own rpm 7" vinyl US $2.00 Buy It Now 15h 42m
Ambrosia 45 How Much I Feel / Ready for Camarillo rpm 7" vinyl US $2.00 Buy It Now 15h 44m
Standing Room Only by Ambrosia (CD, Mar-2007, Custom) US $3.42 Buy It Now 15h 48m
50 Mixed Lot 45's Madonna,Johnny Ace,Chicago,Ambrosia,Bee Gees, US $29.99 Buy It Now 16h 2m
(CD) AMBROSIA - Somewhere I've Never Travelled US $14.99 Buy It Now 16h 5m
AMBROSIA "YOU'RE THE ONLY WOMAN (YOU & I)" 45 RPM US $3.50 [0 bids]
AMBROSIA "BIGGEST PART OF ME" 45 RPM US $3.50 [0 bids]
Lot of 5 - 45 Records FOREIGNER, STEVIE WONDER, KENNY LOGGINS, AMBROSIA, US $10.50 Buy It Now 18h 26m
6 LP SEXY Rock Disco lot Ambrosia Charlie Shaft Tomita Donna Summer Bob Welch US $0.01 [0 bids]
AMBROSIA - MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR - PORTUGAL 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 23h 10m
AMBROSIA How Can You Love Me JAPAN 7"EP PROMO P-1647 US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
AMBROSIA "Road Island" Orig. 1982 US WL TEST PRESS Vinyl LP Warner Bros. + inner US $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Fields Of Ambrosia - 1996 Original London Cast LP US $46.73 Buy It Now 1 day
AMBROSIA INSIDE YOUR ARMS . 12" US $5.02 Buy It Now 1 day
AMBROSIA**LIFE BEYOND L.A.**2 CD SET US $20.50 Buy It Now 1 day
AMBROSIA**AMBROSIA/SOMEWHERE I'VE NEVER TRAVELLED**2 CD SET US $20.50 Buy It Now 1 day
How Much I Feel and Other Hits by Ambrosia CD Flashback NEW Sealed David Pack US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
AMBROSIA 'Runnin' Away' 1976 UK PROMOTIONAL 7"/45 vinyl single US $8.35 Buy It Now 1 day
Ambrosia Warner Bros 45 Record #8640 VG+ How Much I Feel / Ready For Camarillo US $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Ambrosia ~45~ No Big Deal / Cryin' In The Rain 1980 M- US $4.95 Buy It Now 1 day
AMBROSIA: How Much I Feel / Ready For Camarillo |45| - JB Tag - Ships WORLDWIDE! US $0.99 Buy It Now 1 day
AMBROSIA - ROAD ISLAND - WARNER BROS. RECORDS LP US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
AMBROSIA Life Beyond LA LP Nautilus NR 23 US 1978 NM- US $28.04 Buy It Now 1 day
Ambrosia/ Anthology... US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Jerome Kern - Music From Swing Time, Overtures, Music for Films, Ambrosia Chorus US $3.27 Buy It Now 2 days
AMBROSIA-SOMEWHERE I'VE NEVER TRAVELL~-JAPAN SHM-CD ttt US $38.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Ambrosia 45 Cryin' In The Rain / No Big Deal US $2.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MEAT LOAF Ambrosia Rare USA 1978 RADIO SHOW 12" VINYL rock around US $38.46 Buy It Now 2 days
NOS AMBROSIA.....HOW MUCH I FEEL US $6.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Ambrosia - Somewhere I've Never Travelled (VG+) - Rare LP - 1976 US $1.49 Buy It Now 2 days
WEA TOP 14 JAPAN LP w/OBI 2500yen CARLY SIMON AMBROSIA US $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
AMBROSIA "LIFE BEYOND L.A." 45 RPM US $4.49 Buy It Now 2 days
AMBROSIA -(LP)- SELF TITLED - FEATURING "HOLDIN' ON TO YESTERDAY" - W. B. 1978 US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
AMBROSIA- SHAPE I'M IN/ YOU'RE THE ONLY WOMAN 45 RPM SINGLE US $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Ambrosia Life Beyond L.A. VG++ Great Album Very Good Condition Price Drop US $2.99 Buy It Now 2 days
VTG Vinyl LP Record 1976 AMBROSIA Somewhere Ive Never Travelled T-510 Prog NEW US $20.00 Buy It Now 2 days
AMBROSIA - LIFE BEYOND L.A.- RARE -URUGUAY record COVER USA - 4pics US $65.00 Buy It Now 2 days
AMBROSIA RECORD US $1.30 Buy It Now 2 days
AMBROSIA: SOMEWHERE I'VE NEVER TRAVELLED (1976) RARE COLLECTIBLE 12" VINYL LP US $8.95 [0 bids]
AMBROSIA one eighty Lp RECORD GERMANY 1980 US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
AMBROSIA-BIGGEST PART OF ME-45 RPM WARNER BROTHERS-MINT CONDITION US $1.99 [0 bids]
Healing Series 3: Ambrosia Peter Kater CD US $25.98 Buy It Now 2 days
LIKE NEW AMBROSIA LIFE BEYOUND L.A. CASSETTE TAPE US $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Ambrosia - Somewher I've Never Travelled - RARE Re-Release on WB label US $14.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Lisa Bevill - Love Of Heaven 1996 CD / David Pack / Ambrosia US $1.00 [0 bids]
AMBROSIA " YOU'RE THE ONLY WOMAN" US $3.29 Buy It Now 2 days
Promo 45 rpm - AMBROSIA - Magical Mystery Tour - BEATLES COVER - NM to MT- DJ US $9.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Ambrosia- Life Beyond L.A.- used 8 Track tape US $2.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Ambrosia "How Much I Feel" promotional 45 RPM record mono side & stereo side US $3.00 [0 bids]
Ambrosia Life Beyond LA 1978 1st TML Press, ULTRASONIC CLEANED! US $8.64 Buy It Now 3 days
Classic Love Songs 17 songs Dan Fogelberg + Paul Davis + Ambrosia ++ NEW SEALED US $6.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Ambrosia Life Beyond L.A. Vinyl LP Record Album US $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Ambrosia Self Titled RARE ISRAELI PRESS LP 1975 NM US $49.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Ambrosia LP Record - Ambrosia US $8.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Ambrosia ?- Life Beyond L.A. US $3.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Ambrosia Life Beyond L.A. 1992 Warner Japan WPCD-4802 No OBI US $7.00 [0 bids]
BSK 3135 Nm- AMBROSIA Life Beyond LA / Art Beware. Angola. Apothecary 1978 US $2.33 Buy It Now 3 days
Rock Promo 45 AMBROSIA Feelin' Alive Again on Warner Bros. (promo) US $5.00 Buy It Now 3 days
AMBROSIA Self-Titled S/T Debut (1975) Vinyl LP VG++ (EX) SHRINK ~ LYRIC INSERT US $0.99 [0 bids]
Art Farmer/Great Jazz Trio-Ambrosia-Interface 7083-JAPAN GREAT US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Ambrosia, LP, Road Island, orig Warner Bros. BSK 3638, 1982, PROMO, David Pack US $6.00 [0 bids]
Ambrosia (SEALED), Christopher Cross and The Little River Band US $3.99 [0 bids]
Rock Promo 45 AMBROSIA Life Beyond L.A. on Warner Bros. (Promo) US $5.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Ambrosia "Life Beyong L.A." Vinyl Record US $5.98 Buy It Now 3 days
Ambrosia "REady Camarillo/How Much I Feel" 45 Record US $0.99 [0 bids]
Ambrosia, LP, Life Beyond L.A., orig Warner Bros. BSK 3135, 1978, David Pack US $4.99 [0 bids]
AMBROSIA LIFE BEYOND L.A. 8 TRACK TAPE US $3.99 Buy It Now 3 days
AMBROSIA .. LIFE BEYOND LA .. WB LP 1978 US $3.25 [0 bids]
AMBROSIA Anthology PHILIPPINES Cassette Tape MINT SEALED US $25.00 Buy It Now 3 days
One Eighty by Ambrosia LP Record 1980 US $2.59 [0 bids]
AMBROSIA - 'ROAD ISLAND' (ROCK CANDY COLLECTORS CD NEW - UNSEALED) US $6.63 [3 bids]
AMBROSIA - 'ONE EIGHTY' (ROCK CANDY COLLECTORS CD NEW - UNSEALED) US $7.04 [3 bids]
2 LP Lot Mother's Finest "Another Mother further" & Ambrosia "Self Titled" US $14.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Ambrosia / Somewhere I've Never Travelled, Japan LP,Very Low Sale!!! US $9.99 [0 bids]
Ambrosia - One Eighty 1980 Cassette Rock US $0.99 [0 bids]
AMBROSIA: Ambrosia LP (w/ insert, cut corner, writing on back cover) Rock US $20.00 Buy It Now 4 days
45RPM Ambrosia Magical Mystery Tour & Cowboy Star US $9.74 Buy It Now 4 days
Ambrosia - One Eighty LP VG++/NM b US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
VTG Vinyl LP Record 1978 AMBROSIA Life Beyond LA BSK 3135 Pop Rock USA Good Cond US $20.00 Buy It Now 4 days
VTG Vinyl LP Record 1975 AMBROSIA T-434 Rock Good Condition w/Insert US $25.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Ambrosia (@) Pevensey Nlz CD US $18.29 Buy It Now 4 days
Ambrosia "Life Beyond L.A." LP US $4.95 Buy It Now 5 days
Ambrosia - Life Beyond L.A. 1978 VG+ US $2.24 Buy It Now 5 days
AMBROSIA "HOLDIN ON TO YESTERDAY" / "MAKE US AL AWARE" 7" 45 US $2.99 Buy It Now 5 days
AMBROSIA Somewhere I've Never Travelled LP Record 1978 US $14.50 Buy It Now 5 days
Ambrosia- Life Beyond L.A.- new/sealed 8 Track tape US $3.50 Buy It Now 5 days
AMBROSIA: ONE EIGHTY 1980 Warner Brothers BSK3368 in shrink EX-/EX- US $1.99 [0 bids]
AMBROSIA S/T 1975 20th Century Fox CLASSIC ROCK LP w LYRIC INSERT US $13.00 Buy It Now 5 days
LP AMBROSIA LIFE BEYOND LA **IF HEAVEN COULD FIND ME** US $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
AMBROSIA - ROAD ISLAND LP US $11.99 Buy It Now 5 days
EAGLES I CAN'T TELL YOU WHY/AMBROSIA OUTSIDE 45 RPM US $4.98 Buy It Now 5 days

More places to buy AMBROSIA music online Buy AMBROSIA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for AMBROSIA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

AMBROSIA Ambrosia ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(31%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(36%)

AMBROSIA Ambrosia reviews

Review by lucas
5 stars Mastered by Alan Parsons (the guy who produced Pink Floyd's 'Dark side of the moon'), Ambrosia's first record is one of the finest symphonic prog rock albums ever released. In fact, it features fabulous vocal harmonies, punchy and odd-metered drumming, fantastic keyboard and guitar playing. The music could be seen as a cross between Eagles and Yes. There are also some surprises in their music : balalaikas on 'Time waits for no one' played by a real balalaika ensemble, an antique Thai-gong, pipe-organ on 'Drink of water' and a reading from Lewis Carroll's 'Jabberwocky' on 'Mama frog'. Although mainly song based, Ambrosia managed to produce an album that should appeal to prog lovers as the vocals harmonies are not less impressive than those of classic prog bands, and the music features many variations in the rhythm section. Recommended to fans of symphonic prog !

Send comments to lucas (BETA) | Report this review (#28241) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 29, 2004

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars I almost had a heart attack when I found Ambrosia in our beloved Archives. I could not believe it! How could such a tedious soft-rock or FM rock band be included here? So I had to check out this band from closer because all I knew from them was one or two hits from the late 70's. Was it possible I missed out on something? I went to the library and rented out their first three albums (that's all they had) and came back home to throw an ear on it.

Well the third album is exactly what I had expected from them (tedious US FM rock) but the debut is probably the reason why Ambrosia is included here. The least one can say is that Ambrosia sounds like you've already heard this before but cannot quite place it outside the evident Steely Dan sound. If you can imagine S D with a lesser jazzy sound and a more symphonic sound, you will have a good idea of the sound. A lot of fuss is made of the Mama Frog track that incorporates some apparently well-known story and poetry, but I cannot get that excited about it. The following track Drink of Water is most boring but most of the tracks are well done and well produced (we are with Alan Parsons here) and are deliciously arranged but very commercial-sounding but never really driving up the wall in a frenzy.

I dare say my fellow reviewers are much more enthusiastic than I about this album, but there is no way this is worth five stars. By all means this debut is not bad especially in terms of early US prog, but fellow progheads, make sure you get an ear on the siliceous slice of music before investing your hard earned money. Give it another halfstar at most.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#28244) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 07, 2005

Review by loserboy
PROG REVIEWER Honorary Reviewer
4 stars Here is a rock that I certainly left unturned until recently and thanks to my fellow music loving pal Jeff Ferguson for pointing this album in my direction. AMBROSIA's debut album is a wonderful mix of progressive and 'clever' pop genres with some fantastic vocal harmonies and instrumentation. Now I know what you might be thinking and clutching the cheesier side of their later 70's pop hits but let me tell you on this debut album their music is not bland or ordinary. The standout feature for me on this album is their wonderful vocal harmonies, guitar and keyboard work. Fans of "Star Castle" will definitely need to get this album. The band was Joe Puerta (bass guitar & lead vocals), David Pack (guitars, vocals), Christopher North (keyboards & vocals), Burleigh Drummond (percussion, bassoon & vocals). A little known fact is AMBROSIA's close connection with Alan PARSONS with him not only engineering this album for AMBROSIA (producing the second), but all four members of AMBROSIA played on the first ALAN PARSONS PROJECT masterpiece "Tales of Mystery and Imagination of Edgar Alan Poe" (which was recorded soon after AMBROSIA's first album). Interesting trivia note also that David Pack appears on the 1993 ALAN PARSONS PROJECT album "Try Anything Once" co-writing, playing and providing vocals on a couple of tracks. Their music on this album is rich and deep in thought and definitely deserves to be included in the journals of "Progressive Rock".

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#52859) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 22, 2005

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
5 stars I may not add anything crucial, but I'm only the tenth to write about this very entertaining album of poppy prog. If I should describe Amrosia's music in one sentence: Alan Parsons Project with more feeling, groove, action and progness. The APP connotation comes naturally due to David Pack (voc,g) who has a typical tight APP voice, plus Parsons engineering this album. But it's certainly the songwriting gift of Ambrosia guys themselves that makes this a wonderful listening experience. It would make a good quiz question: which prog album has literary sources in Kurt Vonnegut and Lewis Carroll? Actually I thought 'Nice, Nice, Very Nice' lyrics ARE by Vonnegut, not only influenced by him. And 'Mama Frog' includes the reading of the famous Jamberwocky poem. Both these authors are sort of kindred spirits of Ambrosia.

There are no weak tracks. 'Holdin' On To Yesterday' is a good example of mindblowing grooviness, the kind that you may get tired of but never get bored with; 'Lover Arrive' is the soft ballad of the album, nothing wrong with it. 'Drink Of Water' is a majestic closing number. (4,5 stars; full rate could be a little exaggerating but no clear reasons not to round it upwards. This debut deserves more attention!)

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#53477) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
4 stars I have to admit I never considered these guys to be even remotely related to progressive music, but then again I was more familiar with their later Southern California pop recordings than with this debut album. This is actually a pretty innovative album with some wide swings in tempo, luscious keyboards, and pretty remarkable drum work. Like Wishbone Ash, these guys opened with their best and kind of faded as they went along.

The opening “Nice, Nice, Very Nice” is one of the more well-known Ambrosia songs, with some great piping keyboard and acoustic guitar. It has an almost Haight-Asbury psychedelic feel to it, but with much better production. That of course comes from the fact that Alan Parsons produced them, but also because this was recorded several years after the early San Francisco hippy albums and studio techniques were already improving significantly.

The balalaikas on “Time Waits For No One” are very cool, even if they serve to clearly date this as a seventies album. David Pack’s guitar sings beautifully on this track, and although only sporadically played, it is among the best he would do with the band. This is a true trippy-hippy tune, and is just fun to listen to.

Joe Puerta’s bass is totally funky on “Holdin' On To Yesterday” and Christopher North’s keyboards and Puerta and Pack’s vocals practically defined the summer of 1975 with this huge American hit. This is a much milder and more palatable version of the Eagles Southern California sound, more soulful and with some great backing vocals. I just can’t say enough about this song, still fresh after more than thirty years.

“World Leave Me Alone” is a bit of a departure with its twangy, almost country-sounding guitar and rockabilly vocals, but the spacey transition just past the halfway mark reveal the flower-power sensibilities of the band, and once again firmly plant this album in the seventies.

On “Make Us All Aware” Pack plays some delicate and beautiful piano, setting a bucolic mood behind the melodic backing vocals and ‘give peace a chance’ lyrics. The layered keyboards in the bridge are totally spaced-out and reaffirm that these guys at least deserve to be mentioned as at least temporarily progressive for this brief moment in time.

“Lover Arrive” is sort of the ballad of the album, very slow and peaceful with vocals that at times sound very much like early Elton John, complete with melodic piano accompaniment and some great drum work. Very short but a great tune.

The last two songs on the album are much closer to bluesy early prog ala Captain Beyond or Theee Image than anything else on the album. “Mama Frog” is completely vocals-driven, with a choppy reactive piano that gives way to some very bluesy and funky guitar work atop an almost jazz-influenced drum rhythm. Top that off with some trippy keyboards and you have a song that would not have been out-of-place a half- dozen years earlier at a love-in somewhere.

And the album closes with the Allman-influenced “Drink of Water”, a good ole’ boy peacenik anthem that leaves you feeling good as it fades away. A great way to close.

This is by far the most creative and interesting studio release from a band that would lean very far to the right and into pop territory before they called it a day in the early eighties. If you have to have one Ambrosia album (and really, you do need to have one) – this is it. Four stars.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#96280) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 30, 2006

Review by Sagichim
COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
4 stars Melody school...

Ambrosia's debut is one of the best prog related albums! Although every one of the members is a great player no one is trying to show off and the music is not about that!! it's all about the great song writing. And ambrosia definitely has that, when it comes to writing melodies they are gifted, joe puerta's vocals are outstanding too. Another thing is of course the sound, alan parsons is a master, the final mix sound so good and so right, this is one of the top five sounding albums in the 70's IMO.

The music is not heavy, it's on the light side of prog, the songs are not simple even if they could be played on the radio, you always get the feeling that it is all proffesional it is excuted very good. Prog lovers will find a lot here to their liking despite the AOR atmosphere, what's wrong with some beautiful friendly like melodies anyway?? The music is very rich too thanks to the great production including some violins sometimes. The more progressive songs here are located at the end of the album "mama frog" and "drink of water" , definitely the best cuts here. "mama frog" has a lot of changes and great time signatures and some freaky part in the middle totally awsome!! "drink of water" has one of the finest melodies ever written by anybody...yes yes, everything about this song is perfect, guitar and of course the keys great energies great sound again, this is probably the best ambrosia song ever.

For the one's who love some great singing, beautiful melodies you can not go wrong with this. Beautiful stuff great talented band. 4 stars on a prog related scale.

Send comments to Sagichim (BETA) | Report this review (#108137) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 20, 2007

Review by Prog Leviathan
3 stars A fun diversion into a classy '70's rock sound played with heart and soul, "Ambrosia" delivers a nice (very nice) collection of songs and melodies that straddle the fence between FM anthems and the margins of progressive music.

Sharing only a little in common with the prog-giants of the day, Ambrosia still manages to bring a lot of artistic flair to the table with this release, featuring some complex melodies, skilled playing and the occasionally avant-garde moment for good measure. Most of all though, they play with infectious enthusiasm and beautiful vocal harmony-- something that most of the prog-greats never even attempted.

The songs themselves begin accessible with the radio classics "Nice", "Time Waits for No One", and the beautiful and bluesy "Holdin' On To Yesterday." At the half-way point, however, the band begins to experiment with the more complex and experimental, which despite their lack of epic scope or monstrous instrumental moments are largely successful and thoroughly enjoyable.

A fun purchase for anyone who digs classic '70's rock, but also for the jaded prog-snob looking for a smart sing-a-long to put next to their Fripp.

Songwriting: 3 Instrumental Performances: 2 Lyrics/Vocals: 3 Style/Emotion/Replay: 3

Send comments to Prog Leviathan (BETA) | Report this review (#121921) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 13, 2007

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
4 stars 3.5 stars actually...

Formed in 1970 in Los Angeles,California of US,AMBROSIA,though not regarded as a 100% progressive rock band,created a highly-acclaimed album in 1975 within the progressive rock circles.Using a number of different instruments apart from the rock instrumentation,like piano,violins and mandolin,and based on their superb vocal lines,AMBROSIA deliver in their debut album a fantastic journey in the world of progressive/art rock.The band blended a lot of different styles,ranging from ballad-like tracks to complicated symphonic arrangements,drawing influences from southern and boogie rock like THE ALLMAN BROTHERS,KANSAS or THE EAGLES and prog rock giants like YES,KING CRIMSON and GENTLE GIANT.Deep and intense emotions are not hard to emerge listening to this album and I strongly recommend AMBROSIA's debut to all fans of multi-influenced inventive music!

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#165070) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Review by UMUR
3 stars Ambrosiaīs debut album is a very pleasant rock album with slight progressive tendencies. Itīs a bit too commercial for my tastes but itīs still a great album. Had I been into this style of music I would have rated Ambrosia one more star but that last star is reserved for the acts that I personally enjoy and not for the albums that are above average but not really to my liking.

The music on Ambrosia is very commercial with memorable choruses and hooks while there are some definite progressive tendencies in some of the instrumental interplays. Some of the songs reminds me a bit of the way Kansas sounds when they are most commercial. There are some songs that sounds more proggy than others though. Good examples would be Nice, Nice, Very Nice, Make Us All Aware ( note the melody line which sounds like one of the melody lines in the epic The Odyssey from Symphony X) and Mama Frog which has a jazz/ fusion rythm. The hit song Holdin' On To Yesterday is the song I think reminds me the most of Kansas, but itīs actually allright even though itīs very commercial.

The musicianship is really good on this album and Iīm quite impressed with Ambrosia as musicians and composers.

The production is excellent. I really enjoy the soft seventies rythm section and the synth sounds used in some of the songs.

Allthough this is not my favorite style in rock I have to recognize quality when I hear it and Ambrosia are certainly a quality band. Fans of pop with prog tendencies like 10cc, Supertramp, Queen, Kansas, Toto, Boston could enjoy this. I know I did to a certain degree. 3 stars is deserved in this case.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#169540) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 02, 2008

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars I'm afraid that I won't share the ratings of my fellow reviewers. This debut album is an average rock album for sure. But I can't find any great song in here.

Production is top notch, musicianship is excellent but this type of music has never been my cup of tea. Some sort of US basic rock vaguely (?) leaning on prog (even if this feature is quite alien in my opinion). There is no way that I can compare this band with "Kansas" like some of my colleagues.

The vocal department is excellent; and to some extent the example must have been "Crosby, Stills & Nash". My fave out here which features this element is "Time Waits for No One". But the next and syrupy "Holdin' on to Yesterday" holds all the characteristics of American music which I am not found of.

A bit more a rocking atmosphere for "World Leave me Alone" might sound attractive, but frankly this is just average AOR to my ears. Press next. In terms of relation to prog, I must admit that "Make us all Aware" is acceptable. But it is the only one track that can share this view.

US rock music. If you like this, fair enough! I am only remote to this even if the closing number "Drink of Water" is not too bad. There are great keys and as I have mentioned already, excellent vocals.

Two stars for the whole as far as I am concerned.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#307279) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 29, 2010

Review by Sinusoid
2 stars One of those albums that I probably would not have really given too much thought about getting around to hearing, but getting a big whiff of ''Nice, Nice, Very Nice'' convinced me too much that Ambrosia's debut was worth grabbing. I was hoping for a prog-related surprise much like FM's debut or Wishbone Ash's ARGUS album. My response to AMBROSIA is unfortunately, quite different.

Ambrosia comes off on this album as a slick pop-jazz outfit that tries to channel prog rock as one of its influences. Some of the tracks have an AOR quality to them that isn't quite a stink, but it's that feeling of muggy air on your body (makes you drowsy). Comparisons with the debut of Journey don't sound too farfetched. There's a market for this kind of music, but it would work with me if it didn't sound so mediocre.

I feel that tracks like ''World Leave Me Alone'' and ''Time Waits For No One'' sound like Spirit suffering a case of writer's cramp. Most of the album as a whole is off-putting to me as the songs sound like they just exist and don't really do anything. ''Drink of Water'' and ''Holdin' On To Yesterday'' sound tailor made for FM radio without much progging about; they're fine for what they are otherwise. In contrast, ''Mama Frog'' has potential with the jaunty electric keyboard, odd figured opening number channeling Steely Dan. However, a recitation of poetry right in the middle of the song spoils the plot for me. Sure, I understand that prog rock has to have some pretentiousness to it, but this really takes the cake.

Overall, AMBROSIA failed to live up to the hype that is the opening number. Even ''Nice, Nice, Very Nice'' with its whimsical attitude has some of the most asinine vocals I've ever heard, and it lasts about a minute longer than it should. Could have been a nice complement to the debut Journey album, but it has too many, "Why is this here?" moments. Judging by the overall rating, there's a vast base of progheads that will eat this up, but AMBROSIA is simply too plastic and in some cases, laughable for me to seriously give praise to.

Send comments to Sinusoid (BETA) | Report this review (#480757) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Review by stefro
2 stars American outfit Ambrosia - David Pack(vocals, guitar, keyboards), Joe Puerta(bass, vocals), Christopher North(keyboards, vocals) and Burleigh Drummond(drums) - were a decent enough act who straddled the divide between slick pop and progressive rock with playful abandon yet somehow never really managed to create a truly memorable sound of their own. Existing for seven years and five studio albums, and helped along the way by engineer-and-producer Alan Parsons(yes, that one), Ambrosia's first, self-titled album would prove to be one all other subsequent releases were compared against. Released in 1977 - too late for prog yet also, ironically, a bit too quickly for the burgeoning pop-rock movement spearheaded by the likes of Foreigner, Journey, Boston etc - 'Ambrosia' is an enjoyable slice of lightweight prog featuring impressive interplay and snappy lyrics, yet no real killer tunes. Opening gambit 'Nice, Nice, Very Nice' showcases the group's fluffy style, with stringy guitars, tasteful keyboards and deceptively-complex harmonies showcasing the Ambrosia dynamic, whilst both 'World Leave Me Alone' and 'Lover Arrive' feature catchy, toe-tapping melodies undercut with rasping guitars. There's some nice keyboard-flexing adorning the oddly-monikered 'Mama Frog', and the album's final track 'Drink Of Water' also manages to exude a certain rosy charm, with a slightly more ambitious structure finding the group leaning towards a more overtly-progressive edge. Later efforts would find the group heading in a much more commercially-acceptable direction, making this the pick of their five studio releases, yet with the new, aggressive punk movement trashing anything faintly expressive it was always going to be difficult for a group such as these. Entertaining then, 'Ambrosia' is by no means a bad album, and paying special attention to some of their group's spiky lyrics garners some interesting rewards for the listener, yet overall this is simply far too tame for it's own good.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

Send comments to stefro (BETA) | Report this review (#641387) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 25, 2012

Review by Warthur
4 stars Here's an odd one - Ambrosia's debut album leads off with the occasionally grating Nice Nice Very Nice (which features vocals which are either a half-hearted and somewhat racist attempt at an Indian accent or just whimsical and weird for the sake of it) and is littered with more commercial moments here and there, but when you get into the meat of it the band actually excel at vivid prog-psych instrumental workouts. It's decent enough pop-prog which doesn't quite hit the tier of the likes of, say, Supertramp or the Alan Parsons Project, but you can see how Ambrosia might have made it to that tier had they stuck with this approach and polished it a bit. Three and a half stars, four if you don't mind cheesy vocals and unexpected outbursts dirty funk or blues.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#1046132) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 27, 2013

4 stars Although this review should just be on this self-titled album of the American band AMBROSIA (1975), I need saying that in my opinion the band could have stopped in this excellent work, therefore I already advance that I think you won't find anything similar to this preciousness in Ambrosia's ... (read more)

Report this review (#357364) | Posted by maryes | Sunday, December 19, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars One of those bands I long dismissed. I just thought of them as a soft rock band and that's it. Doesn't help that their big hit was "How Much I Feel". Didn't quite realize they started off playing art rock, as this 1975 debut, released on 20th Century Fox Records (they moved to Warner Bros. in 197 ... (read more)

Report this review (#286894) | Posted by Progfan97402 | Thursday, June 17, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars One of the tragedies of Prog. Why could this not have been continued through subsequent releases? It is a great commericial/rock/prog album the same way Alan Parsons Project was. Not pure Prog but with prog tendancies, great harmonies and musicians, and good tunes. There are no soft spots on thi ... (read more)

Report this review (#281673) | Posted by mohaveman | Wednesday, May 12, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I just had to put in my two cents worth on what I consider one of my all time favorite albums. Unlike most people, I had this album long before Ambrosia went commercial. I loved this album when I first got it and I still do. Because of Ambrosia's commercial success with top 40 radio, this a ... (read more)

Report this review (#265969) | Posted by TCat | Saturday, February 13, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars When this album came out in 1975, I was, coincidentally, just reading Kurt Vonnegut's "Cat's Cradle" for the first time. I had been wondering just how the Bokononist hymn from the second page of that novel would sound if it were actually sung. I just couldn't imagine any appropriate music for it. ... (read more)

Report this review (#110369) | Posted by rsmoore | Friday, February 02, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I heard that the album was good and i wasnt actually excited about it; cause i thought it will have some kind of 70's guitar wank fest , but no..this is exactly what you get when you have Kansas meets ELP on popish mood. For those who appreciate Kansas and Elp or either one of them should get ... (read more)

Report this review (#81296) | Posted by OvergroundMusic | Friday, June 16, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Stop! Before the strains of "That's How Much I Feel" or "You're the Only Women" go rushing through your head, listen without predjudice and you will hear a terrific set of songs with a strong melodic base, great vocals, superb musicianship and production. In reading about this band in the liner ... (read more)

Report this review (#69468) | Posted by | Wednesday, February 15, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars One thinks of Ambrosia as a top 40 pop band, in some cases this is true. Their first album is anything but. To appriciate ambrosia you must listen to their first album. Why they changed their format is a mystery to me. Back to the first album, they took jazz, classical and rock and found a ... (read more)

Report this review (#68677) | Posted by titfortat03 | Tuesday, February 07, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Ambrosia is one of the most talented and creative bands to emerge from the post-psychedelic Los Angeles music scene of the early 70s. It is unfortunate that they are under-rated and virtually unknown in progressive rock circles. Hopefully, you will be compelled to give them an honest try after r ... (read more)

Report this review (#28249) | Posted by | Thursday, April 28, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This self titled debut release by Ambrosia is on my list of the ten best progressive rock albums by American bands in the 1970s. This work features all of the essential elements of the genre and also boasts an impressive grasp of pop music sensibilities, and more memorable themes and catchy hook ... (read more)

Report this review (#28248) | Posted by | Thursday, April 28, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The first Ambrosia album is a true masterpiece. It is brilliant from the opening track Nice Nice Very Nice, to the awesome ending track Drink Of Water. Alan Parsons does his best work mixing this album. This is one of the best American Prog Albums and holds it's own along side the best of Yes, Gen ... (read more)

Report this review (#28247) | Posted by | Wednesday, April 27, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Absolutely brilliant debut album by Ambrosia. This album is one of the greatest debuts of all time. It is fantastic from start to finish. The album is an incredible blend of Prog, Rock, and Pop. The song writing, musicianship, recording, and production are just brilliant! The album was nominated f ... (read more)

Report this review (#28246) | Posted by | Wednesday, April 27, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars One of the greatest debut albums of all time. This album is brilliant from start to finish. The song writing, musicianship, vocals, recording, and production are amazing. Alan Parsons is in top form mixing this one. This is America's answer to the great English Prog bands Yes, King Crimson, Genes ... (read more)

Report this review (#28245) | Posted by | Tuesday, April 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This band shows that there is world class progressive rock made in America. Four young and talented musicians and songwriters made this album with a heavy FM feel yet very progressive. It stands far from the likes of Genesis or ELP, being truly original American progressive rock. There are som ... (read more)

Report this review (#28243) | Posted by Prosciutto | Saturday, December 25, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars All those wonderfull vocals ....on the first AMBROSIA.....its like they invented beautiful vocals....never have i heard such fabulous vocals!! This was my first American prog record!!And i have to say i love it!! its like an American cabaret with wonderfull music....with plenty guitars!! Did i ... (read more)

Report this review (#28242) | Posted by Tonny Larz | Wednesday, March 17, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of AMBROSIA "Ambrosia"