THE GARDEN OF JANE DELAWNEY

Prog Folk

Trees The Garden Of Jane Delawney album cover

Buy TREES Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

1. Nothing Special (4:29)
2. The Great Silkie (5:11)
3. The Garden Of Jane Delawney (4:05)
4. Lady Margaret (7:09)
5. Glasgerion (5:15)
6. She Moved Through The Fair (8:04)
7. Road (4:33)

LP CBS 63837
LP CBS SOMP 50305
LP Decal LIK 15 (1987)
CD BGO 172 (1996)

and to Fassbinder for the last updates

TREES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TREES The Garden Of Jane Delawney Music

Garden of Jane DelawneyGarden of Jane Delawney
Sony Bmg Europe 2008
TREES - The Garden Of Jane Delawney. Deluxe 2 x LP Gatefold + 12 page booklet US $6.73 [4 bids]
TREES ~ GARDEN OF JANE DELAWNEY ~ ACID FOLK UK CBS LP ~ LAMINATED 1ST PRESS 1/1 US $1,019.07 Buy It Now 4 days
^ TREES garden of jane delawney SICP 2125 JAPAN MINI LP CD US $49.99 Buy It Now 5 days
TREES Garden of Jane Delawney Vinyl LP DECAL LIK15 US $54.86 Buy It Now 6 days
Trees-The Garden Of Jane Delawney CD CD Very Good US $11.21 Buy It Now 6 days
Trees-The Garden Of Jane Delawney CD CD Very Good US $11.71 Buy It Now 7 days
TREES THE GARDEN OF JANE DELAWNEY RARE FOLK/PSYCH UK CBS S63837 1ST PRESS US $548.73 [0 bids]
TREES THE GARDEN OF JANE DELAWNEY & 5 LIVE TRACKS RARE OOP CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Trees - The Garden Of Jane Delawney. UK Decal - LIK 15 NM- US $42.00 Buy It Now 9 days
Trees - Garden of Jane Delawney (NEW CD) US $9.78 Buy It Now 11 days
Garden Of Jane Delawney - Trees (2008, CD New) US $10.99 Buy It Now 11 days
TREES - GARDEN OF JANE DELAWNEY LP US $34.48 Buy It Now 12 days
TREES - The Garden Of Jane Delawney. Deluxe 2 x LP Gatefold + 12 page booklet US $27.42 Buy It Now 13 days
TREES: The Garden Of Jane Delawney LP rare Rock & Pop US $40.00 Buy It Now 15 days
Trees-Garden of Jane Delawney UK folk psych cd RM US $12.99 Buy It Now 15 days
Trees - The Garden Of Jane Delawney NEW CD US $7.53 Buy It Now 15 days
Trees - The Garden Of Jane Delawney - 88697356712 US $11.02 Buy It Now 16 days
Trees - Garden Of Jane Delawney [CD New] US $12.58 Buy It Now 16 days
Trees Live LP (NEW 2012 Vinyl) UK Folk Rock Garden Of Jane Delawney/On The Shore US $21.93 Buy It Now 17 days
TREES-GARDEN OF JANE DELAWNEY-UK REISSUE-180g-SUNBEAM RECORDS-2LP-FOLK US $29.99 Buy It Now 17 days
TREES Garden Of Jane Delawney CD NEW US $10.90 Buy It Now 18 days
Trees : Garden of Jane Delawney CD (1993) US $9.78 Buy It Now 20 days
TREES - GARDEN OF JANE DELAWNEY - 180GM DOUBLE LP US $32.91 Buy It Now 20 days
TREES: The Garden Of Jane Delawney (NEWOOP/2002/UK/9 TRACKS/FAIRPORT CONVENTION) US $14.95 Buy It Now 21 days
Trees - Garden Of Jane Delawney CD US $16.49 Buy It Now 21 days
TREES The Garden Of Jane Delawney 2xLP/1970 UK Folk-Psych/Fairport Convention US $38.99 Buy It Now 22 days
TREES - GARDEN OF JANE DELAWNEY1970 UK FOLK ROCK MIX REMASTERED CD +4 BONUS TRKS US $19.95 Buy It Now 23 days
RARE DECAL LIK 15 1ST PRESS A1/B1 THE TREES GARDEN OF JANE DELAWNEY SUPERB N/M US $46.96 Buy It Now 24 days
TREES - GARDEN OF JANE DELAWNEY NEW CD US $16.87 Buy It Now 24 days
EX/EX- !! Trees/Garden Of Jane Delawney/1987 Decal LP US $51.74 Buy It Now 26 days
The Garden Of Jane Delawney - Trees New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $19.55 Buy It Now 28 days
Trees - The Garden Of Jane Delawney NEW CD US $9.93 Buy It Now 29 days
Trees The garden of Jane Delawney LP SBR2LP5056 EX/EX UK Gatefold Limited Editio US $43.96 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy TREES music online Buy TREES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TREES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TREES The Garden Of Jane Delawney ratings distribution

TREES The Garden Of Jane Delawney reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
5 stars If you want to investigate Folk-rock this is the best point to start for it has everything to please : a superb female voice , excellent musicianship , quiet pastoral ambiances , long instrumental passages.... This band is among my favourite in the genre along with Pentangle and Comus and IMOHO much better than Fairport Convention or Steeleye Span , Mathews Southern Comfort , as those are just a tad too trad. (those village fair and celtic ambiances are fine but not really in the scope of our site and my personal tastes). Here this is really enchanting and enthralling mainly acoustical folk-prog (if you'll pardon me the creation of another sub-genre)

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#28731) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 08, 2004

Review by loserboy
4 stars TREES debut album originally released in 1970 blending heavy folk and psychedelic influences . After being unable to put their second album "On The Shore" down, I had to get the debut release which is also very solid. Once again traditional and original folk pieces are arranged and delivered with a mix of soft / tranquil folk shades juztaposed with heavy acid laced psychedelic freak outs... simply amazing. Throughout we are treated to the great voice of Celia Humphris who adds some folk-opera to the album. I highly recommend this album to those who are willing to open their ears to some pretty ground breaking and thought provoking music.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#28733) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 25, 2005

Review by soundsweird
2 stars In my review of Tree's other album "On The Shore", I mentioned that I felt that this album was a little better. After another listen, I stand corrected. The same problems plague both albums. There's the one-dimensional female vocalist who has an impressive range, but an impure tone that becomes grating after a couple of songs (partly because she almost always sings in a very high range). Next, a drummer who manages to keep the beat, but can't play an original fill or inject any life into his performance. The guitarists know all the cliches and use them twice. The songwriting is only fair, and the arrangements of traditional songs are pedestrian. Really, the only thing that sets them apart from their more famous contemporaries like Fairport and Pentangle is the fact that the guitarists play in a style that's usually associated with harder-rocking or psychedelic bands. In addition, some of the songs are much longer to allow the guitarists to jam. For me, these attributes are not necessarily good things. I put both CD's (which weren't cheap) in the sell box today.

Send comments to soundsweird (BETA) | Report this review (#28734) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 17, 2005

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
5 stars My interest towards this lovely band arose, as it was recommended to me by the record shop owner whilst buying him a copy of Tudor Lodge's album. It took nearly ten years for me to hunt their records, but now I must say that his recommendation was very good, as this band and their two records are surely of the finest quality in genre of psychedelic folk music. "Nothing Special" opens the record, and it is a quite conventional peaceful folk rock song. The next track "Silkie" brings forth their most pleasant element, the psychedelic arrangements of the traditional Anglo-Saxon folk tunes. The influences from Fairport Convention's "A Sailor's Life" are clear, but this doesn't bother at least me. The title song "The Garden of Jane Delawney" holds an ultimate beautifulness in it. Medieval oriented guitar chords back up the fragile voice of Celia Humphris, and as her voices caress the listeners ears from two channels, the grown men will start to cry. This song was also re-recorded at the 1980's by an indie group All About Eve. "Glasgerion", which is here surprisingly titled as "Jack Orion" (different titles in versions from different countries?), is a fast and joyful Celtic sounding song. I wasn't first very sure if I like it, but the tensions grows slowly through the composition, and after some digesting I have started to like it very much. I'm sure that it at least this track doesn't leave anybody cold. "She Moved Through The Fair" is another bow towards the direction of the Fairport Convention, who also performed this traditional tune on their "What We Did on Our Holidays" album. The rest of the tracks are also really pleasant, the closing number "Snails Lament" has also male vocals, and is also a more conventional folk rock in its style. As a conclusion, this is truly an album of finest quality, though their next record "On The Shore" is still a bit better in my opinion.

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#39605) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 16, 2005

Review by Carl floyd fan
3 stars Pretty standard early 70s folk rock. The trees defiantly come across as a poor mans Fairport convention and has no redeeming qualities to make me want to replay this like I would Liege and Lief. The instrumental passages seem to drag on a little to long, the musicians seem to convey just enough passion to get by, which is never enough. Which is why they only lasted two albums, nothing unique to explore after two similar sounding records. Decent musicianship but nothing daring like in Comus.

Send comments to Carl floyd fan (BETA) | Report this review (#53999) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 30, 2005

Review by Heptade
3 stars Trees never attained the acclaim of their primary influence, Fairport Convention, but they did release two solid albums of British electric folk. This record is a mixed bag. It begins inauspiciously with a pop song marred by really horrid overdriven lead guitar that is totally inappropriate, but things do get better. The title track is a wonderful moody folk song on which vocalist Celia Humphries really shines. Her clear, pure vocals are definitely Trees' strongest asset, since the backing instrumentation generally lacks inspiration (no Richard Thompson-style guitar genius to be found here). If Humphries is the asset, then the lead guitar playing is the drawback- it's pretty sloppy and unimaginative, although generally listenable. The original songs are pretty good psych/folk and, aside from the first track, make up the best parts of the record. The band's treatment of traditional songs is classy, but certainly nothing Fairport wasn't doing earlier and better. The version of She Moved Through the Fair is a slavish copy of Fairport's on "What We Did on Our Holidays" and a bit unnecessary, considering the popularity of the song, but it is pleasant. I guess that's my overall evaluation- it's pleasant music, but not exciting, thus deserving its B-grade status. Folk rock lovers should eventually get around to buying Trees' music and will enjoy it, but only after exploring the giants of the genre like Faiport, Steeleye, the Albion Band and Pentangle.

Send comments to Heptade (BETA) | Report this review (#88496) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Review by greenback
3 stars The beautiful and fragile voice of Celia Humphris, the strongest point on this record, can easily be compared to Jane Relf (Renaissance) and Judy Dyble (Fairport Convention). The music itself, very folkier and quite rock/hard rock, is definitely influenced by Fairport Convention. The visceral electric guitar solos are good, despite the sound could have been better crafted. There is a certain psychedelic dimension, but not too pronounced. The tracks are not very progressive, so that this record stands between the folk prog and the prog related styles. The tracks are not really catchy. The rare keyboards are quite timid. This music is definitely acoustic guitars driven. The music is good, but not memorable: there are many artists who made similar music with even more spectacular and impressive guitar arrangements.

Rating: 3.5 stars

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#123562) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 27, 2007

Review by Warthur
4 stars A rougher and at points substantially more psychedelic inclined than the more polished and confident On the Shore, this debut album from Trees sees them producing music which fits neatly into the electric folk tendency as developed by acts like Steeleye Span and Fairport Convention. The psychedelic side of the equation tends to come in when one of the band's three guitarists goes off on a wild tear, adding an explosive rock-oriented solo to the middle of the band's folk playing. A solid listen that's worth exploring if you like psychedelic or progressive folk of the 1970s, but I don't think it's quite as interesting as the brilliant On the Shore.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#1156939) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 02, 2014

4 stars The British progressive folk scene of the 70's is one of the brightest in the progressive movement after 1969. The debut of Trees is a great album with a magnificent combination of acoustic guitars, percussion and the ehtereal voice of Celia Humphris (comparable to Jacqui McShee of Pentangle). ... (read more)

Report this review (#299485) | Posted by DeKay | Friday, September 17, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A great album of the acid folk genre! this album is very much infused with an almost west coast psychedelic atmosphere (mostly in the guitar). Moderately long instrumental sections/jamming/solos in most songs and the music is very upbeat, inspired and is a very nice energetic and highly folksy acid ... (read more)

Report this review (#214800) | Posted by listen | Monday, May 11, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars 9.5/10 Incredible Trees first album is such an incredibly pleasent experience it is hard to stomach the extreme lack of people that have heard this stuff! There a a few moments are here that are such uplifting, incredible moments that you want to share them with the world. "Snails Lament" i ... (read more)

Report this review (#145421) | Posted by The Lost Chord | Wednesday, October 17, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Nice album with great vocals and amazing guitar solos, but on the whole I get little bored with it. And what's with the drummer? The Tracks, in which he isn't playing, are much more enjoyable. 3 stars only ... (read more)

Report this review (#116007) | Posted by Giorgi U. | Thursday, March 22, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I've been in love with The Trees since 80's but only this Christmas I was able to buy their marvellous The Garden of Jane Delawney. This is my kind of folk music - beautiful vocals, good arrangements and nice, mellow guitars. OK OK - I do know that Fairport Convention was much better band bu ... (read more)

Report this review (#104741) | Posted by Novo | Thursday, December 28, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars After purchasing this cd last week I got to say I'm slightly disapointed.Usually I trust SeanTrane's instincts,but he failed me this time.Not that this album is bad by any stretch,but I expected a real gem of folk music,in my opinion I did'nt get one.Whole discs is pretty flat,although I reall ... (read more)

Report this review (#79547) | Posted by ljubaspriest | Saturday, May 27, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A really, really good album in my opinion. Ceilia Humpris' voice is practically the most beautiful thing I have ever heard. She can almost make a grown man cry with those high pitched reverbirations or hers. The acoustic guitar is model Folk Prog guitar. Simple and soothing. Where I definate ... (read more)

Report this review (#53889) | Posted by Legoman | Saturday, October 29, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars An Exciting musical work... "The Garden of Jane Delawney" is a beautiful passage through folk-rock is the most progressive of the aspects (good musicianship, long instrumental passages and some psychedelic touch)... Away from the pastoral sound of Fairport Convention and more oriented to Comus ... (read more)

Report this review (#51141) | Posted by Mnemosyne | Monday, October 10, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TREES "The Garden Of Jane Delawney"