JUDGEMENT

Buy ANATHEMA Music
Studio Album, released in 1999

1. Deep (4:53)
2. Pitiless (3:10)
3. Forgotten Hopes (3:50)
4. Destiny Is Dead (1:46)
5. Make It Right (F.F.S.) (4:19)
6. One Last Goodbye (5:23)
7. Parisienne Moonlight (2:09)
8. Judgement (4:20)
9. Don't Look Too Far (4:56)
10. Emotional Winter (5:54)
11. Wings of God (6:29)
12. Anyone, Anywhere (4:50)
13. 2000 and Gone (4:50)

- Dave Pybus / bass
- John Douglas / drums and percussion

Koch International 8225
Music For Nations 82876 828532

and to progaeopteryx for the last updates

ANATHEMA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ANATHEMA Judgement Music

HindsightHindsight
Snapper Music Group 2008
Anathema - Eternity 1996 Peaceville Metal OOP Rare Digipack US $9.99 [0 bids]
54m 55s
HEDON CRIES - Affliction's Fiction (CD 2007) Anathema My Dying Bride Saturnus US $12.99 Buy It Now 55m 15s
LOT 9 DVD DEICIDE KATAKLYSM MACABRE MUNICIPAL WASTE ANATHEMA MALEVOLENT CREATION US $45.00 Buy It Now 1h 26m
PARADISE LOST Icon LIMITED DIGI 1993 Music For Nations My Dying Bride Anathema US $55.00 Buy It Now 1h 52m
ANATHEMA The Silent Enigma CD 1995 GLOBUS My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Gathering US $39.00 Buy It Now 1h 52m
ANATHEMA - A MOMENT IN TIME 2006 METAL MIND DVD Shipping is 7 usd US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h
ANATHEMA - A VISION OF A DYING EMBRACE 2002 DVD PEACEVILLE Shipping is 7 usd US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 4m
ANATHEMA - A VISION OF A DYING EMBRACE - *NEW DVD* *SEALED* US $7.57 Buy It Now 3h 9m
EDEN HOUSE Half Life: Fields of the Nephilim Anathema Mission Roxy Music 180g LP US $21.96 Buy It Now 3h 30m
Anathema-A Natural Disaster CD CD Excellent US $13.93 Buy It Now 4h
KATATONIA Embroidered Logo PATCH Opeth Bloodbath Anathema US $5.99 Buy It Now 4h 13m
ANATHEMA THE SILENT ENIGMA SPECIAL UKR. EDITION ODYSSEY DOOM METAL US $14.99 Buy It Now 6h 37m
Anathema - Fine Day to Exit (2006) US $8.43 Buy It Now 6h 38m
on thorns I lay - angeldust, katatonia october tide anathema saturnus alcest fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
on thorns I lay - future narcotic, katatonia anathema saturnus alcest slumber US $5.99 [0 bids]
the loveless - star rover, bay laurel saturnus him tristania anathema slumber US $5.99 [0 bids]
far from mind - breakpoint 33', drudkh alcest anathema katatonia ulver agalloch US $5.99 [0 bids]
sleepless - winds blow higher, agalloch katatonia anathema opeth manes alcest US $5.99 [0 bids]
Falling Deeper by Anathema (CD, Sep-2011, Icarus/Kscope) US $7.00 Buy It Now 12h 42m
ANATHEMA Serenades + Extra Tracks CD 1993 Peaceville/Futurist my dying bride US $5.00 [1 bids]
ANATHEMA Pentecost III CD 1995 Peaceville/Fierce paradise lost doom metal 3 US $3.25 [2 bids]
ANATHEMA Eternity CD Digipak doom metal goth katatonia my dying bride prog US $3.00 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA Judgement CD goth katatonia my dying bride prog rock pink floyd US $3.28 [2 bids]
ANATHEMA A Fine Day To Exit CD goth prog rock radiohead katatonia sentenced US $0.99 [1 bids]
Anathema Device Severing of Tithes CD US $5.98 Buy It Now 15h 24m
Opeth - Orchid FIRST PRESS BLUE CD 1995!!! Katatonia, Alcest, Anathema, Agalloch US $28.00 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA - WEATHER SYSTEMS - KSCOPE209 US $23.70 Buy It Now 23h 24m
Anathema A Natural Disaster Cd 2004 One Cent Cd US $1.25 [2 bids]
ANATHEMA Original Album Classics Judgement/Fine Day/Natural 3x CD SEALED US $16.82 Buy It Now 1 day
The Gathering - The West Pole CD New Anathema Katatonia Lacuna Coil US $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA - RESONANCE - CDVILED82 US $14.93 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA Embroidered Logo PATCH Katatonia Antimatter Paradise Lost US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
therion theli catatonia anathema amon amarth lamb of god enslaved deicide cancer US $13.99 [0 bids]
Anathema - Distant Satellites [CD+DVD] CD New US $27.03 Buy It Now 1 day
Paradise Lost-S/T Self Titled RARE CD 2005 BMG Anathema My Dying Bride style US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SENTENCED DOWN LP + INSERT 2014 CENTURY MEDIA REISSUE amok anathema death opeth US $27.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA - DISTANT SATELLITES NEW VINYL US $43.92 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA - UNIVERSAL NEW CD US $24.23 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE "The Angel & The Dark River" OOP Rare Tape (1995) Anathema Opeth US $0.99 [0 bids]
GOLGOTHA Way of Confussion (Confusion) 3" CD EP Orphanage Anathema Avulsed Death US $12.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema : Serenades CD (1993) US $8.83 Buy It Now 1 day
PARADISE LOST - Shades of God 1992 Music for Nations anathema my dying bride US $3.00 [1 bids]
PARADISE LOST - Draconian Times 1995 Relativity anathema my dying bride morgion US $3.00 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA DISTANT SATELLITES Steven Wilson ? JAPAN CD US $29.80 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA T-SHIRT MY DYING BRIDE CATHEDRAL TIAMAT THERION KATATONIA ANTIMATTER US $27.99 Buy It Now 1 day
OPETH TANK TOP T-SHIRT ANATHEMA MY DYING BRIDE BLOODBATH KATATONIA TRISTANIA US $25.99 Buy It Now 1 day
OPETH - GHOST REVERIES COLOURED T-SHIRT ANATHEMA MY DYNG BRIDE TIAMAT KATATONIA US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA a natural disaster CD SEALED Original MUSIC FOR NATIONS 298 US $15.00 [0 bids]
SCREEN PRINTED BACK PATCH ANATHEMA - LOGO US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA GIRLIE SHIRT -MY DYING BRIDE SHAPE OF DESPAIR PARADISE LOST CANDLEMASS US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CATHEDRAL T-SHIRT MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA LAKE OF TEARS TIAMAT PARADISE LOST US $26.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - Distant Satellites CD New US $23.65 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema cd album - A Natural Disaster, excellent US $12.11 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema- Judgement - 82876828532 US $11.93 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema- Natural Disaster - 82876828552 US $12.47 Buy It Now 1 day
Pentecost III/Crestfallen by Anathema (CD, Aug-1997, Fierce) US $11.00 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA DISTANT SATELLITES 2 X LP MINT SEALED ORIGINAL GERMAN EDITION US $49.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Restless Oblivion - Sands of Time CD Compare to Paradise Lost, Anathema, Swallow US $5.99 [0 bids]
Alternative 4 by ANATHEMA 1998 (Original CD, Made in USA) US $4.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA - HINDSIGHT NEW VINYL US $43.92 Buy It Now 2 days
Eternity by ANATHEMA (Original CD, Made in USA) US $4.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA - NATURAL DISASTER NEW VINYL US $116.59 Buy It Now 2 days
Serenades by ANATHEMA 1993 (Original CD, Made in USA) US $5.99 [0 bids]
Katatonia - Brave Yester Days (2CD) (Opeth, Paradise Lost, Anathema, Moonspell) US $3.00 [1 bids]
The Silent Enigma by ANATHEMA 1997 (Original CD, Made in USA) US $4.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH ANATHEMA POSTER US $16.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Porcupine Tree - Recordings (CD Digibook) (Opeth, Steven Wilson, Anathema) US $5.51 [6 bids]
Venom Tribute Kreator Sodom Anathema paradise Lost Voivod Skyclad US $9.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA - WE'RE HERE BECAUSE WE'RE HERE (180GM) NEW VINYL US $55.48 Buy It Now 2 days
EDEN HOUSE 'Half Life' Fields of the Nephilim Anathema Mission Roxy Music new CD US $14.35 Buy It Now 2 days
LID - In the Mushroom first press digipak Peaceville Recs Anathema Trouble US $29.99 [0 bids]
Anathema - Universal [CD New] US $17.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema - Distant Satellites (2014) US $23.65 Buy It Now 2 days
Lake of Tears - illwill (LP) Paradise lost, opeth, anathema, Ulver, moonspell US $24.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Atahualpa ?- In Nomine Patris / Anathema (OLD SKOOL/TRANCE)(VG+) US $10.12 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA A Natural Disaster ORIG 2003 DIGIPAK MUSIC FOR NATIONS CDMFNX297 SEALED US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Tiamat-Skeleton Skeletron lp/moonspell/samael/paradise lost/therion/anathema US $79.99 [0 bids]
DOOMED 2014 Our Ruin Silhouettes CD Doom Death Ophis Morgion Anathema US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
NEX-ZERO-CD-doom-my dying bride-anathema-watain-nominon US $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ÍON ION Madre Protégenos CD Anathema Antimatter Duncan US $9.90 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA JUDGEMENT CD PLATINUM DISC FREE P+P!! US $169.01 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema - Original Album Classics - 88697944692 US $19.27 Buy It Now 2 days
W.E.B.-DON'T WAKE FUTILITY 05 + VIDEO GREEK DARK METAL ANATHEMA DEATHSTARS US $2.99 [0 bids]
Antimatter-Lights Out RARE CD Anathema Member "Ambiente Metal" US $5.99 Buy It Now 3 days
PARADISE LOST Draconian Times - 2CD LONG BOX 1995 - OOP Opeth Anathema Katatonia US $39.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ANTIMATTER Alternative Matter Digipak 2x CD Prophecy ÍON ANATHEMA US $17.90 Buy It Now 3 days
Katatonia Buildings 7" rsd 2013 record store day anathema opeth agalloch LP US $15.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema - We'Re Here Because We'Re Here [Vinyl New] US $43.60 Buy It Now 3 days
KATATONIA Brave Murder Day CD 1996 AVANTEGARDE MUSIC org anathema OPETH rapture US $6.01 [2 bids]
ANATHEMA - A Fine Day To Exit, CD Digipak Metal Mind 2006 Brand NEW Sealed US $9.00 Buy It Now 3 days
The 3rd and the Mortal Memoirs RARE CD Ltd Gathering Anathema Third Atrox Ulver US $7.99 [0 bids]
The 3rd and the Mortal In this room RARE CD Gathering Anathema Third Atrox Ulver US $7.99 [0 bids]
English Band - Anathema CD - Hindsigth (2008) US $3.58 Buy It Now 3 days
S.C.A.L.P. - Chuzhaya Voina CD Tiamat Enigmatic Anathema Thorns of the Carrion US $5.00 [0 bids]
Aglaomorpha||Opaque Lucidity - Fragments CD Phlebotomized Unholy Anathema US $5.00 [0 bids]
Aglaomorpha - Perception CD Anathema My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Katatonia US $5.00 [0 bids]
FOREVER EMBRACED - - Promo 99/ RAR 4 tracks MCD Anathema Alcest Agalloch Desire US $9.90 [0 bids]
IGNORABIMUS - Dab Da Zorp / RAR 2000 Amorphis Lacuna Coil Anathema US $9.90 [0 bids]
ALAS Absolute Purity (ORG 2001 Hammerheart) anathema my dying bride hate eternal US $6.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema - Alternative 4 - Tape US $8.00 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy ANATHEMA music online Buy ANATHEMA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ANATHEMA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ANATHEMA Judgement ratings distribution

ANATHEMA Judgement reviews

Review by Tristan Mulders
5 stars Anathema - Judgement

In my opinion this album and 2001's A fine Day to exit are Anathema's best releases up to date.

This album takes off where Alternative 4 ended. We keep the same beautiful compositions but make them more friendlier and les dark. This is something you can notice right from the start: the album kicks off with a 4 track suite, featuring a lot of acoustic guitar and very nice vocals! The guitar solo in Deep is simply stunning and very melodic, whereas the also superb guitar solo in Pitiless is heavier than Anathema has ever done before! The suit ends with the laidback Forgotten Hopes track that gives us a dreamy ending followed by the instrumental Destiny is dead to finish the suit in a perfect way by repeating a certain guitar pattern and slowly slowing it down until it finally stops.

What is also a difference compared to its predecessor is that the keyboards are lesser present on this release, there are exceptions as always, most notably on the song Make it right (FFS). This song features walls of keyboard sounds in the instrumental chorus.

One last Goodbye is a ballad in true Anathema style. Very nice keyboard orchestration accompanied by some melancholic acoustic guitar chords create a very mellow but bit depressing mood for the vocals to start. The song naturally progresses to a heavy, metal ending with again a magnificent guitar solo before it eventually ends the same way as it started with the same acoustic guitar verses. This song is my favourite if I only look at the vocals, they truly express the right emotions for the lyrics accompanying the song.

Parisienne Moonlight and Don't look too far are both songs that feature a second female singer. The first of these two is a piano based duet, whereas the second one is an up-tempo rocker.

Another highlight is one of the most direct songs on the album, Wings of God. I love this track's lyrics. The song gives the guitar a lot of freedom to solo about.

The instrumental 2000 and gone is the perfect ending for an already incredible album. It is very calm and gentle with waves of warm keyboard sounds, subtle drumming and again smooth guitarwork, both acoustic and electric.

Send comments to Tristan Mulders (BETA) | Report this review (#62317) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 30, 2005

5 stars This is my favourite ANATHEMA album followed by "Alternative 4" and "A Fine Day To Exit". I find this to be the most emotional, and for good reason. The Cavanagh brothers, Danny and Vincent had just lost their mom at the young age of 49. And they dedicate this record to her, calling her "a wonderful mother and a beautiful friend". One of the most emotional songs you'll ever hear in light of this is "One Last Goodbye"'. This is a song I would play at a funeral for one of my loved ones. It consists of five lines and it's important to me to print them here. "Somehow I knew you would leave this way. Somehow I knew you could never stay. And in the early morning light. After a silent, peaceful night. You took my heart and slipped away..." Written by Danny Cavanagh.

"Deep" is a great way to start the record, the vocals and acoustic guitar are soon overtaken by force by the electric guitar and drums that empower the rest of the song.This whole album sounds so powerful with a nice heavy, dark sound. They step it up a notch on "Pitiless" as it begins with bass, guitar feedback and then fantastic vocals before Danny on his guitar just about starts a fire with a blistering, scorching guitar solo. Unbelieveable ! You think he's not playing with emotion ! "Forgotten Hopes" is a beautiful song with acoustic guitar and lots of synths as vocals come in. Some brief power after 2 minutes. "Destiny Is Dead" is a short instrumental that is quite dark. "Make It Right (F.F.S.)" haha, is a nice mid-paced tune with vocals. I like the synths that come and go. "Parisienne Moonlight" features piano melodies with female and male vocals. Emotional track. "Judgement" actually gets faster and heavier as the song plays out.

"Don't Look Too Far" could be a RIVERSIDE tune. It contrasts the mellow sections with male vocals, with the more powerful passages when female vocals join in. Great tune. "Emotional Winter" has so much atmosphere, it reminds me a lot of PINK FLOYD. It becomes more powerful 3 minutes in. The contrast continues. "Wings Of God" opens with passionate vocals and screaming guitar. It does settle as the contrast continues. "Anyone,Anywhere" opens with a lone guitar melody, as reserved vocals then piano joins in. It kicks in powerfully after 2 1/2 minutes. Nice. It settles down again. "2000 & Gone" is an instrumental and the final track. It's actually fairly laid back and dark with lots of atmosphere.

I just love the sound of this album, it's crystal clear. It is often after a tragedy that an artist will come up with his best work. I think this is the case with the great ANATHEMA.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#90197) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Review by 1800iareyay
4 stars Judgement is where all the pieces fall into place for Anathema. They started out playing a blend of doom and death metal now play prog metal, and this is where the two meet. The band takes the emotion and slow pace of doom and marries it to the rage of death. The Cavanagh brothers have honed their depressing and often suicidal lyrics into tight chunks of morose metal. The album is one of the most atmosheric metal albums I've heard alongside Opeth. Acoustic guitars, emotional electric, and pounding yet restrained drums and bass all combine with Vincent's haunting vocals to make a truly memorable experience. The album is a quasi-concept piece dealing with the death of the Cavanagh's bros mother.

"Deep" is a great opener that breaks the depression gently before the crushing Pitiless shows that the boys came to play. Other highlights include Forgotten Hopes with its bitter lyrics dealing with watching a loved one kill herself with alcohol, One Last Goodbye's heartbreaking and simple funeral song, and the title track's progression from slow burner to a mid tempo chug complete with creepy female vocals.

There is no filler here, but the concept is loose. The production is killer and the band now fully embraces its flirtations with Floyd. This isn't Anathema's most progressive piece, but it is their finest achievement.

Grade: B+

Send comments to 1800iareyay (BETA) | Report this review (#108209) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 20, 2007

Review by OpethGuitarist
3 stars Moving - Spiritual

Judgment is a continuation on the sound that Anathema had developed with Alternative 4. This album is much more somber and melancholic, and the songs all have an overall theme of loss. It is strung together somewhat like a concept album, but I wouldn't call it as such.

Pitless is my favorite track here, a mixture of somewhat of a rocker with some of the best vocal lines of the album. Most of this is not to far off from a more "depressing" Riverside in terms of composition and style. Songs like Make it Right remind me of Tool inspired leads, although I can't quite name the track right now.

There's no real "downer" tracks here, the exception being Judgement, which just doesn't fit and grows old after several listens. The album is fairly consistent throughout, if not being a little too samey. Unfortunately, this means few of the tracks stand out, and while most of them are very good, few ever come close to being exceptional. I'd add another half star to this, as I'd still recommend it, especially those looking for a band with many similarities to other more well-known acts.

Send comments to OpethGuitarist (BETA) | Report this review (#111995) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Review by Prog Leviathan
4 stars Probably the best example of Anathema music, with a perfect mix of the emotive, the gloomy, the uplifting, the powerful, and the expression that makes the band what it is. Every member is on the top of the their game here, and provide an album that shows their increased skill as songwriters and composers.

"Deep" opens the album strong, with successive songs keeping the momentum going leading up to the gigantic "Judgement", which shatters the placitude in a tremendous, riffing monstrosity that is impossible not to play at the utmost volume.

As always, Cavanagh's vocals are a depressing treat to listen to, and he sounds more integrated into the bands fine playing here more so than on their previous album; however, the instrumentalists really get to show off their chops and almost steal the show. The instrumental "Transacoustic" ends the album on an uplifting note.

The only weakspot I find, is on the track "Wings of God" which has a very simple, uninteresting melody throughtout. Fortunetly, the album's strong points more than make up for one boring song.

A tremendous album.

Songwriting: 4 Instrumental Performances: 4 Lyrics/Vocals: 4 Style/Emotion/Replay: 5

Send comments to Prog Leviathan (BETA) | Report this review (#119014) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 19, 2007

Review by The Crow
4 stars A perfect follow up to Alternative 4...

No so dark, but a bit more complex and alternative pop-rock oriented, but still with the dark and sad personality of this band... The leaving of Duncan Patterson, the main songwriter of the band, was not a drama... The Cavannagh brothers took the duty of making the entire songs, and they did it wonderfully, giving us another brilliant album, maybe not so good as their previous efforth, but different and really enjoyable. The pianos and strong bass lines of Alternative 4 and replaced for layers of guitars and mellow keyboards, and a lot of accoustic passages... The style started with Eternity is here perfectionated and variated. And Vincent sings better than ever! He sound really confident with his vocals for the very first time.

Best songs: Deep (a great opening, with marvellous vocal melodies...), Forgotten Hopes (great guitars...), One Last Goodbye (a really moving song, I absolutely love the lyrics... My favourite of the album), Parisienne Moonlight, Judgement (strong guitars in a good proggy piece...), Emotional Winter... Except a pair of songs, the whole album's level is outstanding.

Conclusion: a step further in the Anathema's career... No so gothic and dark as their previous albums, but more proggy and alternative rock oriented, Judgement is an excellent album not te be missed for people who seek a melancholic, sad and sensitive way of seeing progressive rock, in the vein of Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Wolverine... But with an unique and special feeling. These songs are a pool of talent.

My rating: ****

Send comments to The Crow (BETA) | Report this review (#165240) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 28, 2008

Review by The Pessimist
5 stars Probably the most consistent prog album i have ever heard. These guys sure know how to dish out experimental metal, not reaching the realms of the mighty Tool of course, but nonetheless they are very enjoyable to listen to. This far outweighs Alternative 4, which is also a good album, meaning that this is the peak of the band's career. Their sound is a heavier version of Pink Floyd if you want an exact pinpoint on what they're about, but they are still unique in their very own way. This album is no exception to the above style, and many Floyd fans will appreciate this beautiful album.

Now to the songs. Most of them are very short and clipped to around the 4-5 minute mark, which i perceive as a good thing: you can never get bored of any of them! There is not one single weak track on this album, and equally no filling songs. Deep is an excellent way to kick it off and is the start of a suite of four songs. It's a very basic and powerful rock song with a few prog touches here and there, progressive nonetheless. It then flows into the mellow bassline of Pitiless before it kicks off again, with a touch of Muse heaviness this time. Probably one of the stronger and heavier tunes on the album, this is also my personal favourite. Before you know it, the song explodes with guitar and you are brought into a mellow third part Forgotten Hopes. This has a very catchy verse with a not so bad chorus, although slightly banal with the chord sequence. This is quite an emotional track that builds up into the final part Destiny Is Dead, which is instrumental and very mellow, easy listening. Some nice harmonics also wrap up the suite into a rallentando and finishes.

Make It Right (F.F.S) is the most keyboard orientated of the lot, which is a shame because it is one of the weaker song. Not as heavy as its predecessor suite, it is still a worthy listen and deserves credit. The melody isn't very standout, but it remains an audible pleasure. The beautifully crafted and gorgeous One Last Goodbye follows, and is another highlight of the album (if there are any). The first Anathema song i ever heard, this is the most Floyd rooted song on the CD, and... well you will not be disappointed, melody = excellent, guitarwork = excellent and lyrics = excellent. A very poignant song that really does it for me. Brilliant.

Parisienne Moonlight is by no means a filler, but a beautiful interval between two great songs. This has a delicate charm to it and has a female voice on the scene, which also gives it a slightly creepy touch. The piano is very stylish also. Judgement is a schizophrenic track and a very experimental one at that, with a gentle first half and an extremely aggressive second half, where the drums speed up at a sublime rate and the whole band kicks in with distortion. What more could a metalhead ask for! Judgement ends very drastically and suddenly and leaves way for the third masterpiece song: Don't Look Too Far. The Floydian influence is definitely there and clear, but as mentioned above, it has its own style. It reminds me distinctly of Comfortably Numb, but adds its own heavy chorus which really creates a lush contrast. Yet another absolutely awesome song.

Emotional Winter is a slow builder, with some gentle 5/4 drumming in the backdrop. The guitar work here is very tasteful indeed, the vocals are melodic, and for all you mellow music lovers out there i think this one is for you. It doesn't really compare with the rest of Judgement because it is so different, exquisit ruling that factor out however. Returning to the Anathema vein, we have the wonderful Wings of God. This song, similarly to Judgement, has two parts, this time both equally as aggressive. A very heavy track that would appeal to fans of Tool and Opeth possibly, that has some very well placed stops over acappella vocals to create a falling effect. The strongest representation of the album, this is a track to be reckoned with! Listen to it and you will see what i mean.

The penultimate track is very progressive and poignant. It starts out with a solo acoustic guitar arpeggiating a dark chord sequence, followed by the vocals, some nice piano melody and finally the whole band kicks in, led by the familiar piano melody. This is a dark song, probably the darkest on the album, and shouldn't be listened to whilst depressed. This is also a moshing song, so any of you excited prog metalheads out there would enjoy this (which i happen to be most of the time). The album cleans off gently with the Floydian 2000 and Gone, which is another builder and by no means in the metal spirit. A very clean song, it eases you out of the journey that is Anathema's Judgement.

An exciting ride, this is a must have album for prog-metallers, and almost essential to a conventional proghead's collection. The only thing that holds it back is the lack of prog, however it remains a masterpiece. 9.6/10.

Send comments to The Pessimist (BETA) | Report this review (#171742) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Review by Finnforest
2 stars Agalloch at double speed?

Kidding, of course, but since I just reviewed The Mantle I couldn't help but notice how Judgement sounds just a little like Agalloch at a faster pace. And while both play a sort of gloomy doom metal my preference is certainly with Agalloch, directly because of the complaints I would list about Anathema. First the good stuff though. These guys are masters of melodic, high-WAF prog metal that is friendly enough to be played on commercial radio despite the gloomy outlook. They are top-notch musicians who mix great vocals with consistently accessible songwriting and quality lyrics. So what's the problem with Anathema? Two words..cookie-cutter. As accessible as the songs are they are far too similar-sounding and one dimensional for this prog fan. Most tracks have the easily assimilated verse/chorus sections that are quickly memorized enough to sing along to. Often the drums just plod along as straight time-keeping and the songs offer little in the way of genuine excitement. The emotions are there but the delivery is so mechanized and the results so predictable. If only they threw more curveballs like they do on the albums highlights: the welcome female vocals of "Parisienne Moonlight" by which time one is just dying for the different sound color that her voice brings, the occasional piano which again provides *something* suggesting a diversity in the sound, and the triumphant solo at the end of "One Last Goodbye" that brings hope to the sadness. But such moments are too few and far between. This band is sometimes compared to Riverside which is a bad sign as far as I'm concerned as it means results are likely to be formulaic. Anathema, like Riverside, is a band I give good marks to for talent/technical ability but low marks for the kind of musical experience I (and presumably some other progressive fans) are looking for. Whenever I can listen to one track and know what the rest of the album holds in store, I consider that a real warning sign. And in this case it happened again. 5/10

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#173056) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Guilty. of making great music

Having pleasantly surprised us three years earlier with the fine "Eternity" album, then developed their new craft further with 1998's "Alternative 4", in 1999 Anathema presented what was arguably their best album to date. "Judgement" effectively consolidates the melodic and harmonic direction signalled by the aforementioned albums, while increasing further the accessibility of the overall package. The change of bassist has much less of an impact than might have been expected given his importance to the song-writing on previous albums, but there is a generally lighter feel here.

We begin in pure acoustic mode with a simple but effective melody on the instrumental "Deep". This segues into the heavy but appealing "Pitiless", where multi-tracked vocals serve to lighten the piece well. The linking of the tracks continues for "Forgotten hopes", which blends the acoustic and heavier electric guitars superbly. These connected songs form a fine opening suite which flows seamlessly from track to track. This section concludes with a further brief acoustic song "Destiny is dead".

"Make it right" is a lush, symphonic number with layered mellotron like sounds which wash over the listener. Paired with the following "One last goodbye", the two songs form an emotionally charged core for the album. "Parisienne moonlight" is quite the most delicate piece the band have recorded. A simple male/female vocal duet with accompanying piano, the song is a million miles from the growling of the early days.

The title track begins in acoustic mode, but the drums soon signal a complete change, the song becoming a post rock driven guitar riff with full frontal drums. While the thumping beat seems rather out of place in terms of modern Anathema, the track does work. "Don't look too far" finds the band borrowing from their Porcupine Tree allies (and thus Pink Floyd), the female backing vocals returning for added effect.

"Emotional winter" delves deeper into Pink Floyd territory, the vocals sounding particularly Gilmour like, while "Wings of God" is a heavier but still supremely melodic number with striking lead guitar. The closing tracks "Anyone, Anywhere" and "2000 and Gone" return us gently to reality with a couple of mood driven softer songs.

Whether "Judgement" is the best Anathema album up to this point is a matter for individual Judgement. In reality, such comparisons are futile anyway. Seen for what it is, this is quite simply a fine album of great beauty which will appeal to prog fans who's priorities include strong melodies and thoughtful arrangements. Recommended.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#175032) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Review by Any Colour You Like
4 stars Anathema: Judgement

*Warning, your depression will not be helped by this album*

Having been passed on to Anathema by a friend, I managed to pick up a copy of Judgement, their 1999 album. On first listen, I was deeply impressed by the melodic power of the guitar work. The riffs are not particularly extreme or technical, but have a wonderful melancholic tone, mixing slow, dread-filled doom, with more upbeat melodic rock. The Cavanagh brothers show themselves to be very adept at writing mournful songs, with aching lyrics, (One Last Goodbye) bone-crunching riffs. (Pitiless) With all the band members all contributing to lyrics and music, the album feels wonderfully succinct and well crafted.

One of the first things that struck me was the depressing lyrics. I love depressing music, it has a clarity and truthfulness about it that other emotions lack, yes, some may not like the bleak lyrical content; but if you like Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Devin Townsend et al, Anathema's lyrics should feel just right. While this album could be considered weak Doom Metal, or in a similar vein, the music itself is quite accessible. Metal fans will enjoy the riffing and dark atmosphere, while progressive fans will enjoy the more subtle nuances interspersed between powerful riffing and mellow vocals. Despite the obvious power of the album, on both a musical and emotional level, I would not consider the album to be especially progressive. Don't expect blazing technicality, nor eclectic divergences. Judgement is a solid, if unadventurous album.

What makes this album worthy of great respect is the palpable emotion in the music. Few songs have made me feel initially so blue as One Last Goodbye, a song written for the Cavanagh's mother, who had died before the record was made. Judgement is a very competent album, that unfortunately suffers from its own being. It is so amazingly mellow and melodic, that it just blurs the music into one without really grabbing the listener for more than a few moments. This is a minor gripe, for the majority of the album, it is more than satisfying. Think of it as a chill out album, with melodic metal riffs and depressing lyrics. By all means, don't be afraid to try Judgement, you just might find a reflective side of your personality... in a good way.

Send comments to Any Colour You Like (BETA) | Report this review (#236574) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Review by Conor Fynes
5 stars 'Judgement' - Anathema (9/10)

This is without a doubt, the perfect example of Anathema's musical style and strength as a band. Despite the high amount of acclaim that 'Alternative 4' receives, I don't find it to be a very strong album despite a few excellent tracks, but 'Judgement' really shows the band maturing and chanelling their depressive tendencies in a way that's not juvenile or irritating, but instead veyr beautiful and moving.

This is certainly a far cry from the band's doom metal origins, but the same sense of dread is still here in full. Having reached the pinnacle (thus far) of their career, there's the perfect balance of Anathema's traits here. There's a bit of a metal, experimental sound; but filled with gorgeous melodic hooks and rhythms.

'Judgement' is filled to the brim with great, soulful tracks; although the second half of the album starts to lack the same stunning flow the first half did. If I had to choose some great songs that uninitiated listeners could sample out; the songs 'Deep,' 'Forgotten Hopes' and 'One Last Goodbye' are all incredibly emotional and powerful, especially the last one mentioned...

'One Last Goodbye' certainly stands as being one of the very few songs I've ever heard that was perfect. Despite it only being 6 minutes long, it has such a haunting melody, and each note; each subtle nuance the song has it's place. The only other song I could really call 'perfect' is 'Bohemian Rhapsody' by Queen, but that's another story...

When one says 'progressive metal,' this definately does not fit the traditional bill. It's a much different brand of music than your typical Dream Theater or Symphony X. There are metallic elements, but there's no space left for mindless fills; only pure and emotionally charged songwriting.

Realms ahead of most music out there in terms of emotion and effect. Absolutely superb.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#246276) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 25, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
5 stars Judgement is Anathema's ride through lush Floydian ambiences. The album is the ending point of their evolution from doom-death metal (see early My Dying Bride), through dark goth rock (see Fields of The Nephelim), to laidback dreamy rock sadness. Or how to go from doom-death to goth to Floyd in 4 albums.

Almost all metal influences have been stripped from the sound. An occasional power-chord not withstanding, it's all clean picking, sumptuous atmospheric synths, slowly pounding drums and that classic British voice that touches me like no other. I usually don't pay any attention to lyrics (blame it on too much Priest, Dio and Maiden listening, guaranteed to induce lyrics-deafness). But on this album, some of Danny Cavanagh's striking verses got themselves imprinted in my memory ever since I first heard them 10 years ago. One Last Goodby is the most striking example.

I can see some prog fans having a hard time to appreciate this band. This album in particular isn't progressive and the continuous melancholic ambience might become dreary if you prefer more eventful music. I like eventful music as well, but I equally like to be moved by the honest sadness and gloomy intensity that comes wrapped in delicate catchy rock songs here. If you don't have a clue how that may sound, take Riverside's I Turned You Down as an example of a good copy.

Judgement is Anathema's most heartfelt and touching album, and since emotional impact is Anathema's core-business, you might easily call this their most accomplished one. Rock fans might prefer the preceding Alternative 4, prog fans the more dense and textured A Fine Day To Exit. For me, I could listen to each of these three albums every day.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#283714) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 27, 2010

Review by CCVP
4 stars An album for rainy days

Anathema's fifth album, Judgement, has been my first contact with this depressed band from Liverpool and it could not have been a better first impression, in more than a way. With competent musicianship, songwriting and new, interessing, but familiar settings, this album hooked me for good right from the first time, but a number of reasons influenced that.

First, the music they present here, by itself, is really enjoyable and catchy, not only for the average progressive rock fan, but also anybody that actually likes rock'n'roll. I find it hard to dislike such a great presentantion of atmospheric rock with progressive leanings and Floydian influences the band do in this album. Second, the mood they are able to put through most of the album, in spite of being somewhat depressive and all, it dows not wallow in mysery and disgrace, as a considerable number of bands from such style do, which is a very positive side of their negativity.

Third, the day I gave Judgement the first spin was a cold, windy and rainy day. This may not make a lot of sense for some people, but believe me, if you do play this album in this kind of setting, you will understand. The whole album made a lot of sense, clicked right off the bat for me just because of this kind of setting. Finally, I really like this kind of music. This atmospheric, floydian and bluesy feel moves me quite easily so, for obvious reasons, I see this album very favorably, specially because, unlike some other artists and bands, Anathema does not tries to mimic and copy every aspect and characteristic of Floyd.

As some other reviewers already pointed, Judgement is, for the most part, an acoustic album. The acoustic guitars and sad vocals dominate the landscape the band creates in their music. There are, without a doubt, electric instruments. The keyboards, for example, are obviouisly electric, as are the solo guitars, and probably the bass guitar, but they all have a secondary role in the whole album, apparently following the lead of the acoustic guitars, completing its musical ideas or even give the song a heaviness the acoustic guitars can't achieve. Although they don't play a chief role here, the electric guitars definitely shine brightly whenever they do appear.

Despite its numerous qualities, some of which I pointed out previously in this very review, this album is not perfect in my eyes. That is mostly because of it's setting or song listing. The first three songs are just so good that, despite the respectable effort from the band, the rest of the album just cannot reach the same level. After that the album seemingly stops evolving, it just gets down and stays in the very same place untill the end. With the exception of that flaw, the Judgement is very round and balaced, all songs are very good and it has a gery good overall quality.

The highlits of the album go to the first three songs, Deep, Pitiless and Forgotten Hopes, which sound more or less like a a one pice composition, the sad and depressed but somehow energetic vocals and, most of all, to the electric guitar solos.

Grade and Final Thoughts

Anathema's Judgement had a lot of potential for me. The firsts spins were very enjoyable, but since then my apreciation for this album has improved very little. the album is very enjoyable, but that is it, nothing further. But whenever i give it a try, it is an assured good and pleasant ride from start to finish.

4 very solid stars.

Send comments to CCVP (BETA) | Report this review (#329440) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 22, 2010

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars It took a while to this band to propose truly interesting music ; but with "Eternity" and "Alternative" they confirmed what was already noticeable during "Pentecost III": namely a band with a huge potential.

I have to say that I am a bit disappointed with this release. None of the tracks is weak (except the closing track maybe, but few are memorable. It sounds very much like a later Porcupine Tree album and therefore, they might be considered as a precursor of the genre: melodic vocals (what a change with their early releases), powerful beat and hard music at times. Melancholy is also very present, like PT later ("Emotional Winter".

I would have liked some more variety between the songs which sound pretty much alike (except the mellow ballad "Parisienne Moonlight" and the slow instrumental "2000 & Gone"). But they are all well crafted with a special mention for "One Last Goodbye" which features a superb and emotional guitar solo.

Another very good song is the title which holds an incredible crescendo: from sweet to extremely wild. It ends up in a total abrupt manner. All of this in just over four minutes. It is one of the highlights from this "Judgement". It is one of the highlights from this work.

Three stars for this album.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#390047) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 30, 2011

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
5 stars This was my first dive into Anathema, having read so many salivating reviews, I figured I would be irresponsible to my prog philosophy of open-minded discovery to not at least give them a fair listen. Their style is relatively nihilistic in terms of lyrical context and quite monolithic musically (if you are looking for symphonic synth noodlings , this is not the place). The mood is Nirvana-like somber, the melancholia profound as proven with the first track 'Deep', almost reminiscent of some tonal facets of Polish band Riverside (who claim Anathema as a source) , fusing Steven Wilson-like reflections on life's inherent pains. I must admit that initial listens were difficult, trying to pinpoint and then adjusting the 'pleasure acceptance' knob to properly enjoy the musical presentation.

So I went about an orgy of 'repeat digitalis' on this one, until I finally succumbed to the vaporous magic espoused within the invisible digital codes and now I am ready to scribble my impressions. Yes, 'Deep' is a tremendous opening salvo, with passionately morose singing from Vince Cavanaugh and some blistering axe osculation from his 'bro Daniel , a guit-slinger who is unafraid of showing off his influences but also occasionally tossing in some old school licks that would make Jeff Beck blush with admiration. 'Pitiless' is more virile, veering into quasi riff-heavy metal spheres that pound and startle and a platform for some snarly leads sparkling wildly within the ashes of the bleakness. It bleeds right into the majestically acoustic 'Forgotten Hopes', another peak moment where the sadness of the melody paints an aural video with astonishingly vivid scripts ('Hey you , rotting in your alcoholic shell' ), sweltering and towering blasts, whispered vocals and marshalling drums. Intense, raging and yet somehow despondent as well. This monster tracks welds into the twanging yet brief 'Destiny is Dead' interlude that itself morphs into 'Make it Right FFS', a dark, windswept, rain drenched dirge where the synths howl wildly, turbulent guitar swaths with leaden aplomb, an intoxicating brew that mercilessly bulldozes forward without falling into overt metalloid territory. And then come the killer tracks: the excruciating beauty of 'One Last Goodbye'. Oh my dear, this is poignant to the hilt, a troubling idiom of deep entrenched sorrow with a colossal chorus ('In my dreams I can hold you , still feel the pain, still feel your love' ) , the goose bump inducing lead guitar solo is one for the ages, more menacing than a Gilmour or a Latimer but yet far from your typical metal illustration. The elegant piano enters with refinement, fueled by a female vocal on the 'tres francais' 'Parisienne Moonlight', a welcome feminine piece that is my fave track here though very short, it fits nicely with the previous and subsequent flow. 'Judgement' is a winner as well; a fascinating slow burner that grows in evident intensity, faster and faster until it gradually veers into a mad dash of controlled hysterics that careens about outrageously. 'Don't Look to Far' offers up some more acoustic inflections that recall Floydian soporifics with savvy lyrics ('God bless this mess I'm in'), a loopy pace and grandiose rhythm guitars that churn brightly and conjure floating images of comatose suffering that is startling in its aural appeal. This is what makes this album so tangible, the musicians'ability to never plod and yet provide intense psychedelics and escapism of the highest caliber. Just when you expect some tedium to set in, 'Emotional Winter' kicks the listener nicely into deeper realms , with exalting lyrics crowning a passionate vocal from Vince ('Wasted moments won't return, we will never feel again') , a coronation of an incredible series of songs that are emotional, genuine and ultimately memorable. The tumultuous 'Wings of God' introduces that harder edge that manages to evoke the exasperation of lost souls felled by injustice and that inner 'spleen' so overtly espoused by writers such as Baudelaire. The wrath here is palpable, the guitars angry, the voices annoyed, the bass excruciating and the drums thrashing about, disconsolate. 'Anyone, Anywhere' starts off in acoustic guitar hypnosis, the disquieting lyrics again at the forefront of a troubled inner sanctum, plunging piano ivories into the throbbing meddle and setting out some kind of resolution. The chorus becomes grandiose and almost symphonic in its epic closure. The instrumental '2000 and Gone' shutters the hurting for the time being, a mature band reflecting on their past and heading into the future without any formula or reason. The mood is almost pastoral, dreamy and loaded with some stunning guitar phrasings that give this piece an almost Phil Manzanera feel. I mean what a ride....emotionally. .

This recording should actually be listened to in its entirety, as a whole, vibrant package that infuses life into death and hope into despair, thereby creating a completely pleasurable sonic adventure. Music that will affect your outlook on life and perhaps, see things in clear colored glasses for a change. Life can be a load of pain. It's how you overcome the burdens that make it worthwhile.

This was one hell of an awakening .Will some gentle soul be kind enough to pick up my jaw from the pavement? Please'

5 abhorrent verdicts

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#442063) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 02, 2011

Review by Negoba
2 stars Decent Goth-y Depressive Rock, But No Prog

I really love Goth Metal and I have a soft spot for anything in that general musical territory. On paper, I should love Anathema. In fact, there are some tracks here and there that really do nail it. "Re-Connect" from Alternative 4 comes to mind. But like the Gathering, Anathema leaves me mainly bored. The straightforward songwriting ethic of late grunge is still largely in effect here, the characteristic trappings of the 90's all over the music. How this is labelled prog is beyond me. Comparing this to Riverside, which writes from the same emotional territory but actually is prog, makes this so clear. (They're also metal, which Anathema is not). I remember having the exact same reaction when I turned from Type O Negative to Paradise Lost. The music just lacked fangs. Everything is performed quite well. But depression, for me, just isn't enough.

The other thing this music lacks is a hook melody. This is a common flaw in metal in general, but both this style of goth and much of the female-fronted symphonic bands have the same problem. There is melody, but not a hook. By this I mean, there is no figure that I could whistle and you'd say "Oh that's song xxx off JUDGEMENT." Vince Cavanaugh has his characteristic melodic contours, but he doesn't vary it enough to give each song its own signature. Similarly, the musical accompaniment is pretty homongenous through the album as well. I really like the individual sounds, the subtle minor dissonances, the big dark echoes, the trippy baritone vocal. But the band doesn't do enough with their sound, in my opinion. They do use some odd time signatures, but that's really the only thing prog to be found here. But stumming in 5, again, just isn't enough.

Of the handful of Anathema albums I've heard, JUDGEMENT is the worst in this respect. Too homogenous. There are maybe 2 or 3 motifs that stick with me on the entire album. One example is the refrain of "Don't Look Too Far." This song incidentally reminds me alot of Temple of the Dog's much superior tune "Say Hello To Heaven." The obviously Pink Floyd derived lyric "Hey You, rotting in your alcohol shell" from "Forgotten Hopes" also has some staying power.

The last thing that probably kills this album for me is that depressive moping is so played out. Even though the lyrics are pretty good given how much schlock of this type is out there, there's just not anything more to say on the subject. Anathema certainly isn't alone here, as Porcupine Tree lyrics don't do much for me either. Dead Soul Tribe's MURDER OF CROWS also falls into this category on the more metallic end.

This isn't bad, just not memorable, and not very progressive. I definitely suggest trying Alternative 4 first and then going on from there if you like.

2.5 rounded down for non-progginess.

Send comments to Negoba (BETA) | Report this review (#720842) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012

5 stars Anathema is one of my favorite 5 bands in my life, so no wonder why I rate most of their albums with 5 stars. After the great success of the masterpiece ALTERNATIVE 4, Anathema found the way to get people's ears. So, they started working on Judgement, trying to follow the same formula and gues ... (read more)

Report this review (#1015184) | Posted by Memo_anathemo | Friday, August 09, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars 10/10 The apex. Perfect. Ethereal. Melancholy. These and many other words could define Judgement, the fifth album from Anathema, but I think they are not enough to describe this masterpiece. Away goes the experimental character of Alternative 4 (which at the time of the launch was not well ... (read more)

Report this review (#1002963) | Posted by voliveira | Sunday, July 21, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Judgment Day ? 1999 (3.4/5 almost 4 stars) 11 ? Best Song: Deep Many bands encounter a slight snag in their creative abilities when they lose a valued member, in this case being Duncan Patterson. And many bands encounter a slight snag in their creative abilities when they meet with a new th ... (read more)

Report this review (#459141) | Posted by Alitare | Saturday, June 11, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is my favourite Anathema album. I think it strikes the perfect balance between their metal leanings of their early days and their ability to produce beautiful acoustic guitars and keyboards centred melancholia. The songs are slow paced without sounding like a dirge, varied whilst remainin ... (read more)

Report this review (#457498) | Posted by stranded_starfish | Sunday, June 05, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars An amazing album!An album about failed human relationships(mostly of love)and bad memories(I love this type of lyrical themes).Musically it's sad and melancholic(logical).It has wonderful compositions.Vincent Cavanagh's vocals are beautiful.His mourning and his disappointment are great! The artwo ... (read more)

Report this review (#317914) | Posted by Prog Geo | Saturday, November 13, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I love Anathema. This is probably their favorite release of mine. Songs such as "Deep," "One Last Goodbye," "Judgement," and "2000 & Gone" are simply incredible. However, I stop short of awarding them 5 stars. I get the sense that on occasion some of their songs can drag on. Perhaps it is in ... (read more)

Report this review (#271936) | Posted by scootman369 | Sunday, March 14, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Emotional, atmospheric and wistful are probably the keywords when talking about this release from Anathema. I first listened to their music(Serenades) in '93 when I was in fact listening to some other kind of music. But they also did something different at that time. For me this is probably the ... (read more)

Report this review (#180110) | Posted by petrica | Tuesday, August 19, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars After the previous Alternative 4, original bassist Duncan Patterson departed, leaving fans in wonder as to how this would affect the songwriting being that Patterson was, along with guitarist Daniel Cavanagh, one of the major songwriters in the band. He was replaced by longtime friend of the b ... (read more)

Report this review (#85988) | Posted by bleak | Sunday, August 06, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is the second transitional album in the career of Anathema, with the departure of Duncan Patterson. The music is clearer, less dark, though still very emotional. The album starts with "Deep", a real rock song, probably the brightest song on the album. "Pitiless" follows without breaking th ... (read more)

Report this review (#64725) | Posted by zaxx | Saturday, January 14, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Okay, I'll be honest - this is my first review posted here *ever*, and it might not be the wisest thing to do to - starting off with reviewing my most cherished album of all! Don't get me wrong, I'm not a 'beginner'. I've been into prog music since the late 1970's, know very well the likes of ... (read more)

Report this review (#45662) | Posted by Antennas | Monday, September 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Ok, this is not progressive..It's a very emotional album though.Anathema is at it's best of their career..You know, Judegement in 1999, the year before, they had made Alternative 4.So people waited not something better, but a strong album..And, here it is!Without Duncan Patterson, Anathema is ... (read more)

Report this review (#44654) | Posted by | Monday, August 29, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A fantastic, very dark album. It appears that the band made this album in a very emotional time, and this is clearly shown in the music. It's not progressive in the sense that classic progressive rock is, but it's prog enough that it is far superior to other music of a similar, more commerci ... (read more)

Report this review (#30118) | Posted by | Tuesday, February 01, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Anathema, for all their guises, have a very clever way of evoking feelings of despair, and hope all at the same time and this is no exception. Judgement is mostly a song based album and is probably their most straighforward arrangement wise, which normally for me (and most of you I presume) w ... (read more)

Report this review (#30115) | Posted by Jools | Friday, June 04, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ANATHEMA "Judgement"