JOE'S GARAGE, ACT I

3. Catholic Girls
4. Crew Slut
5. Wet T-Shirt Night
6. Toad O Line
7. Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?
8. Lucille Has Messed My Mind Up

Search FRANK ZAPPA Joe's Garage, Act I lyrics

Search FRANK ZAPPA Joe's Garage, Act I tabs

- Frank Zappa / guitar, keyboards, vocals, producer
- Ed Mann / percussion
- Ike Willis / vocals
- Dale Bozzio / vocals
- Arthur Barrow / bass, vocals
- Marginal Chagrin / saxophone, sax (Baritone)
- Vinnie Colaiuta / percussion, drums
- Warren Cuccurullo / organ, guitar, guitar (rhythm), vocals
- Jeff / sax (Tenor)
- Al Malkin / vocals
- Tommy Mars / keyboards
- Craig Steward / harmonica
- Stumuk / saxophone, sax (bass)
- Denny Walley / guitar, vocals, slide guitar
- Peter Wolf / keyboards

Rykodisc # 10530

FRANK ZAPPA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FRANK ZAPPA Joe's Garage, Act I Music

Joe's Garage Acts I II & IIIJoe's Garage Acts I II & III
Hot RatsHot Rats
Zappa Records 2012
Apostrophe ( ' ) (40th Anniversary Vinyl)Apostrophe ( ' ) (40th Anniversary Vinyl)
Zappa Records 2014
Vinyl$24.98
Over-Nite SensationOver-Nite Sensation
Zappa Records 2012
Freak Jazz Movie Madness & Another MothersFreak Jazz Movie Madness & Another Mothers
Multiple Formats
Apostrophe (')Apostrophe (')
Weasels Ripped My FleshWeasels Ripped My Flesh
Absolutely FreeAbsolutely Free
Zappa Records 2012
Frank Zappa - Sheik Yerbouti - Spanish 2-LP #frankzappa US $40.57 Buy It Now 1h 7m
FRANK ZAPPA Remington Electrick Razor Sealed Vinyl LP US $125.00 Buy It Now 1h 8m
FRANK ZAPPA_CLEAN AMERICAN VERSION_CD_COLLECTIBLE_PROMO_1995_RYKODISC_14 TRACKS US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h
FRANK ZAPPA - SWISS CHEESE - 3 CD US $78.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA - LIVE IN EUROP ELECTRECORD ROMANIAN PRESS BLACK PANTHER US $44.24 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Frank Zappa - Uncle Meat- 2LP 180g - (Universal 2013) - MINT & SEALED US $42.19 Buy It Now 2h 45m
FRANK ZAPPA-For President-Licensed POSTER-90cm x 60cm-Brand New US $9.89 Buy It Now 3h 54m
Zappa In New York, Frank Zappa, New US $20.03 Buy It Now 4h 9m
Frank Zappa - 20 Extraordinary Renditions CD US $4.87 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA 200 MOTELS ORIGINAL VERY RARE INDIA PRESSING DBL LP VG /VG US $286.99 Buy It Now 4h 40m
Frank Zappa: Apostrophe/Over-nite Sensation (CD, 1986, Ryko Distribution) US $14.95 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa London Symphony Orchestra - London Symphony Orchestra, Vol NEW CD US $18.82 Buy It Now 5h 20m
FRANK ZAPPA - THEM OR US / Japan Double LP / OBI / 1984 / Record / Rare US $89.99 Buy It Now 5h 23m
Frank Zappa - King Kong LP - RARE 1st English Pressing Vinyl -Worldwide Shipping US $16.23 [1 bids]
Grand Funk Railroad Good Singin' Good Playin' Original SEALED LP Frank Zappa US $14.87 Buy It Now 5h 40m
FRANK ZAPPA /BEEFHEART - BOSTON MUSIC HALL 27/04/1975 (LATE SHOW) - LP US $49.99 [0 bids]
6h
Frank Zappa Zapped comp LP Bizarre Records 1969 US $10.00 [0 bids]
CASSETTE: FRANK ZAPPA Meets the mothers of invention ROCK POP US $8.10 Buy It Now 6h 45m
Record FRANK ZAPPA meets MOTHERS of INVENTION shrink NM no barcode! 1985 US $6.99 [0 bids]
1978 Frank Zappa Studio Tan 1st Pressing DSK2291 USA Deep Groove NEAR MINT US $30.00 Buy It Now 7h 4m
Vinyl record LP album MOTHERS FILMORE EAST 1971 Frank Zappa vg+ vinyl g cover US $5.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Concert Tour T-Shirt Barking Pumpkin Small Jersey Vintage NEVER WORN US $69.99 Buy It Now 7h 30m
FRANK ZAPPA - YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON STAGE ANYMORE, VOL. 4 - NEW CD BOXSET US $13.92 Buy It Now 7h 36m
Frank Zappa - The Mothers of Invention "Freak Out!" VG/VG+ LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 7h 52m
FRANK ZAPPA - YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON STAGE VOL. 4 CASSETTE TAPE TESTED BARGAIN! US $9.50 Buy It Now 8h 5m
DON SUGARCANE HARRIS-ANTHOLOGY VOLUME ONE-1999 2xCD-FRANK ZAPPA-RARE US $45.44 Buy It Now 8h 5m
Roots Of Frank Zappa - Various Artists (NEW CD) US $10.94 Buy It Now 8h 9m
Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention "Uncle Meat" 2 LP Set US $39.99 Buy It Now 8h 15m
21 Burnt Weeny Sandwiches (Frank Zappa) CD US $4.87 [1 bids]
Frank Zappa-Zoot Allures Japan WLP Promo LP W/OBI Inserts Stone Mint RARE US $198.98 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Jean Luc Ponty King Kong Near Mint Rare LP US $58.98 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa(Vinyl LP 1st Issue)10c Rare Meat-Rhino-RNEP 604-US-Ex/Ex US $65.99 Buy It Now 8h 41m
FRANK ZAPPA hot rats RYKODISC RECORDS CD ALBUM RCD10508! US $16.22 Buy It Now 8h 54m
FRANK ZAPPA - Don't Eat the Yellow Snow 7" RECORD STORE DAY RSD 2014 US $8.99 Buy It Now 9h 2m
frank zappa 2cd you can't take it....vol. 1 RYKO 10081 1988 ORIGINAL m-/m- US $14.99 Buy It Now 9h 3m
frank zappa 2cd you can't take it....vol. 2 RYKO 10083 1988 ORIGINAL m-/m- US $14.99 Buy It Now 9h 5m
FRANK ZAPPA - JOE'S GARAGE - DUTCH CBS IMPORT - ACT 1 - LP US $12.97 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - Strictly Commercial: The Best of (1995) JAPAN Mini LP 2 CD (2008) US $26.99 Buy It Now 9h 7m
CD Album Frank Zappa - You Are What You Is RARE OOP US $30.81 Buy It Now 9h 9m
frank zappa 2cd uncle meat RYKO 10064 1987 made in japan m-/m- US $8.99 Buy It Now 9h 12m
frank zappa 2cd thing-fish RYKO 10020 1986 original m-/m- US $13.49 Buy It Now 9h 15m
Classic Interviews, Frank Zappa, Good US $8.71 Buy It Now 9h 20m
FRANK ZAPPA - DANCIN FOOL / BABY SNAKES - 7" SINGLE 1979 ZAPPA RECORDS - Z-10- US $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 29m
FRANK ZAPPA LP -- "Zoot Allures" -- PLAY GRADE VG+ US $8.00 Buy It Now 9h 30m
FRANK ZAPPA Broadway the Hard Way CD Classic Rock 1995 (1988) US $10.99 Buy It Now 9h 31m
Frank Zappa "The Man From Utopia" LP, FW 38403 US $24.99 Buy It Now 9h 32m
Frank Zappa " You Are What You Is" Double LP, 1981 US $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 33m
Frank Zappa "Them Or Us" 2 LP Set Gate Fold With Insert, Barking Pumpkin Records US $24.99 Buy It Now 9h 33m
FRANK ZAPPA - Tinseltown Rebellion 1981 2LP US $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 34m
FRANK ZAPPA - VALLEY GIRL / YOU ARE WHAT YOU IS - 7" SINGLE - 1981 BARKING PUMPK US $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 35m
Frank Zappa "Clean American Version" In Store Play Sampler Rykodisc US $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 39m
Frank Zappa~Original OZ 2XLP Zappa in New York EX 1978 Art Rock Hard Rock   US $31.56 Buy It Now 9h 50m
Frank Zappa~Original US PS 45 I don't wanna get drafted EX 1980 Art Rock  US $12.60 Buy It Now 9h 51m
Frank Zappa mr gene's greens US $19.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA*A PETULANT FRENZY*1-CD SET*RARE OOP LTD.ED PRO*NOT TARANTURA US $14.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA MOTHERS OF INVENTION 200 MOTELS RARE SOUNDTRACK W/BOOKLET UA US $19.99 [0 bids]
Cheap Thrills by Frank Zappa Ryko I Could Be a Star Now Catholic Girls and MORE! US $4.99 [0 bids]
Playground Psychotics by Frank Zappa (CD, May-1995, 2 Discs, Ryko Distribution) US $25.00 Buy It Now 10h 47m
Frank Zappa/Have I Offended Someone?/1997 CD Album US $12.97 Buy It Now 11h
FRANK ZAPPA FACE DESIGN GUITARIST ROCK BLUES QUANTITY 1 BLACK T-SHIRT S# US $16.49 Buy It Now 11h 3m
Frank Zappa I Don't Wanna Get Drafted /Ancient Armaments Holland Import 45 W/PS US $19.99 Buy It Now 11h 3m
FRANK ZAPPA sheik yerbouti 2 LP UK Digital Audiophile VG+ EN 5001 Vinyl 1979 US $60.00 Buy It Now 11h 16m
FRANK ZAPPA BEET THE BOOTS 1 IN UNOPENED BOX SET!!! MINTY MINT! UNOPENED!!! US $299.95 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA - Lumpy Gravy - Mini LP - Japan US $36.00 Buy It Now 11h 20m
Frank Zappa "Studio Tan" LP VG++ DSK 2291 Mothers of Invention Orig US $24.99 Buy It Now 11h 22m
Broadway the Hard Way Frank Zappa CD Ryko Ike Willis US $24.99 Buy It Now 11h 22m
FRANK ZAPPA - SET OF 10 MIXED PROMO POSTER POSTCARDS # 2 US $8.10 [0 bids]
Zoot Allures Frank Zappa CD Ryko Ike Willis US $33.99 Buy It Now 11h 28m
Frank Zappa : Apostrophe () CD (1995) US $19.45 Buy It Now 11h 29m
FRANK ZAPPA/ MOTHERS - Roxy & Elsewhere - Japan US $46.00 Buy It Now 11h 29m
Frank Zappa 200 Motels Motion Picture Soundtrack 8-Track Tape: NEW, SEALED US $15.00 Buy It Now 11h 36m
Frank Zappa The Mothers "Overnight Sensation" 1973 Vinyl Record US $19.98 Buy It Now 11h 46m
FRANK ZAPPA: Finer Moments LP (Germany, 2 LPs, 180 gram pressing, gatefold cove US $35.00 Buy It Now 11h 49m
Frank Zappa You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore 1 3 5 6 Joe's Garage More++ 16CDs US $99.95 Buy It Now 11h 52m
Frank Zappa - Don't Eat the Yellow Snow 7" RSD 2014 RARE Vinyl Record US $32.99 Buy It Now 11h 58m
Uncle Meat - Frank Zappa & The Mother Of Invention 2 CD Set Sealed New ! US $8.95 Buy It Now 11h 58m
FRANK ZAPPA ep WAKA-JAWAKA + 2 argentina ID# 13627 WOL PROMO ONLY B-SIDE THE DO US $249.00 Buy It Now 12h
We´Re Only In It For The Money - Frank Zappa CD Sealed ! New ! US $6.87 Buy It Now 12h 6m
Freak Out ! - Frank Zappa & The Mother Of Invention CD Sealed ! New ! US $6.87 Buy It Now 12h 8m
Mothers of Invention - Why Don'tcha Do My Right / Big Leg Emma 7" frank zappa US $13.99 Buy It Now 12h 10m
Frank Zappa Mothers of Invention Absolutely Free LP Record Album V/V6-5013 US $9.00 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA Hot Rats 8 Track Tape US $38.88 Buy It Now 12h 29m
FRANK ZAPPA MOTHERS Roxy & Elsewhere 8 Track Tape US $18.88 Buy It Now 12h 33m
Frank Zappa : Tinseltown Rebellion CD (1995) US $14.58 Buy It Now 12h 33m
FRANK ZAPPA LEFT OF THE DIAL 17 SONG PROMO CD Rykodisc VRCD0505 US $19.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA MOTHERS One Size Fits All 8 Track tape US $18.88 Buy It Now 12h 36m
New Frank Zappa Meets the Mothers of Prevention Import From Japan US $36.99 Buy It Now 12h 38m
FRANK ZAPPA: I Don't Wanna Get Drafted! 12 (Canada, PC) Rock & Pop US $12.00 Buy It Now 12h 41m
FRANK ZAPPA & THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION Fillmore East June 1971 CD live US $5.95 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA : SON OF CHEEP THRILLS : CD ALBUM US $1.61 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA "BROADWAY THE HARD WAY" ORIG UK PRESS LP ZAPPA14 US $14.59 [0 bids]
New Hot Rats CD Import Frank Zappa From Japan US $92.99 Buy It Now 12h 53m
FRANK ZAPPA MEETS THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION BARKING PUMPKIN RECORDS ST-74203 US $9.99 [0 bids]
New Apostrophe CD Import Frank Zappa - Mothers From Japan US $41.99 Buy It Now 13h 3m
New One Size Fits All CD Import Frank Zappa The Mothers Of Inventions Japan US $41.99 Buy It Now 13h 11m
FRANK ZAPPA & The Mothers The Grand Wazoo Vinyl LP Reprise K44209 A1/B1 US $40.57 Buy It Now 13h 18m
FRANK ZAPPA In New York Double Vinyl LP Discreet K69204 US $48.69 Buy It Now 13h 18m
FRANK ZAPPA Meets the Mothers of Invention Vinyl LP EMI EMC3507 1986 US $24.34 Buy It Now 13h 18m
FRANK ZAPPA Sheik Yerbouti Double Vinyl LP CBS 83551 US $32.45 Buy It Now 13h 18m
FRANK ZAPPA Studio Tan Vinyl LP Discreet K59210 A1/B1 US $27.58 Buy It Now 13h 18m

More places to buy FRANK ZAPPA music online Buy FRANK ZAPPA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FRANK ZAPPA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FRANK ZAPPA Joe's Garage, Act I ratings distribution

FRANK ZAPPA Joe's Garage, Act I reviews

Review by daveconn
4 stars As airtight an excuse for a commercial crossover as you'll find in Frank's discography. ZAPPA conceived Joe's Garage as a cautionary tale (tongue firmly in cheek) exposing the evils of rock & roll and the pernicious part it plays in the lives of two young people, Joe and Mary. The composer was merely amplifying the conservative rhetoric of the right wing, who had begun discussing outloud the possibility that music was corrupting American youth (suggesting censorship as a possible palliative). An ardent supporter of free speech in art, ZAPPA flourishes in the role of the Central Scrooooooootinizer, pushing his two unsuspecting pawns (Joe and Mary) into the paths of prostitution (after a sort) and venereal disease. The real story here, however, is one of wonderfully accessible music. Imagine the best parts of "Sheik Yerbouti" distilled ("Bobby Brown Goes Down", "Jewish Princess") with the guitar solos and complex arrangements contained to short bursts, and you'll have the blueprint for Joe's Garage. The album generated a strong single in "Catholic Girls" -- which of course got limited airplay (who needs censorship?) -- and lots of fine, funny songs like "Wet T-Shirt Nite", "Joe's Garage" and "Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?" You'd have to go pretty far back (say, Over-Nite Sensation) to find another ZAPPA album that combined the appealing with the appalling for such a palatable mixture. It's not that "Joe's Garage Act I" hits any higher highs than "Sheik Yerbouti" or Ship Arriving Too Late, it just hits them more consistently. Though it doesn't diminish the enjoyment of this album, Act I does end on a cliffhanger, so you'll need to pick up the double-elpee Acts II and III (released a few months later) to find out how Mary and Joe make out.

Send comments to daveconn (BETA) | Report this review (#30264) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Review by greenback
4 stars This record sounds complex American rhythmic pop rock: it is among the most accessible records from the Zappa's discography. There are tons of excellent & catchy lead & backing vocals. Some bits are really complex and loaded; there are some harmonica parts, some saxes arrangements and the percussion passages (xylophone) by Ed Mann are excellent, as always. The keyboards does not take too much room in order to let the rhythmic rock character take all its meaning. The "Wet T-shirt" song is entertained by Zappa himself in front of a crowd: Dale Bozzio (The Missing Persons' singer) is the sexy contestant: she is absolutely delightful with her chick's voice & laugh; the last part of this song contains one of the best Zappa's guitar solos: the sound is CLEAN & rich, and each note is amazingly well played, forming a melodic and structured solo. "Lucille Has Messed My Mind Up" is the model track for the next record: "Joe's garage acts 2 & 3": this song is more mellow, a bit "floating reggae" and it contains subtle & delicate guitar sounds. Zappa uses a whispering voice without any music during some intros and outros (Central Scrutinizer): this idea will be repeated on the second "Joe's garage" album.

Rating: 4.5 stars

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#39631) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 16, 2005

Review by Cygnus X-2
5 stars Frank Zappa's stab at a concept album is strikingly crude and unusual when compared to his other works. It is very guitar oriented and features some of his best solos, it has his most straightforward and rough lyrics, and some of the weirdest dialogue/storylines that I've ever come across. Taking in the form of a 3 act Opera of sorts, Joe's Garage really is a telling of a youth who gets caught up in Rock and Roll and eventually loses everything he has. The Central Scrutinizer (voiced by Zappa) tells the tale of young Joe, from his humble days in the garage, to the final days at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen. Featuring a plethora of guest musicians and vocalists, one cannot help but feel a bit overwhelmed at the virtuosity of this album. From Vinnie Colaiuta to Tommy Mars, all the Zappa elite are here and give top notch performances.

From the opening distorted voice of the Central Scrutinizer, to the arena rock-esque Why Does it Hurt When I Pee?, Frank really pulls out all the stops on this album. Act 1 is a magnificent effort that goes through all the classic Zappa forms, complicated time signatures, complex chords and progressions, operatic yet subtle vocals, and wicked and searing guitar solos. It almost seems too guitar oriented for Zappa. The highlights of the first Act are the single Catholic Girls, which has Zappa at his tackiest lyrically and a catchy riff, Joe's Garage, with great vocals and guitar play, and Why Does it Hurt When I Pee? for sheer bluntness and comedy.

Overall, Act 1 is a great opening to the Joe's Garage saga. More was to come in Acts II and III, but are they up to par with Act I? Act I itself is brilliant, and it really acts as a great prelude to Acts II and III. 5/5.

Send comments to Cygnus X-2 (BETA) | Report this review (#45876) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Review by LiquidEternity
3 stars I give the compilation disc of all three acts four stars but the two individual parts on three stars each? Preposterous.

In truth, however, there is a good reason for that. The problem with these releases being split is a matter of variety. Act I features some very interesting and exciting songs, but there is little variance and exploration on the disc compared to the other two acts. They even each other out, adding to each other, adding complicated pieces to simplistic pieces and experimental tracks to commercial ones. On its own, Act I is a fine album with some good music. The music is mostly in the vein of Skeik Yerbouti, being more straightforward and exciting.

I'm going to copy and paste from my review of the double disc compilation, so you don't have to go looking for what I have to say about the songs. Here we go:

The music on Act I is the most commercial and generally least progressive, though that's a silly way of looking at it, all told. Joe's Garage features a (surprise!) garage band sort of feel, with references to some golden oldies, such as the surfer classic Wipe-Out. The next few tracks are standard Zappa bits, with dirty jokes and unique little bits here and there. All have terribly catchy and terribly inappropriate melodies, I must add. And speaking of terribly catchy and terribly inappropriate melodies, the peak of all awkward Zappa tunes comes up here: Why Does It Hurt When I Pee? I swear, I have never come across a song so catchy or so unwise to sing out loud in front of people. It truly is a stellar track, devoid of unnecessary parts--just bare bones quality.

This album gets three stars from me, though it really is a good release. The reason lies in promotion. Which version should you get? The answer is the whole of Joe's Garage, not just Act I.

Send comments to LiquidEternity (BETA) | Report this review (#184652) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 03, 2008

Review by Slartibartfast
4 stars "It looks just like a Telefunken U-47."

It was almost as if Zappa was just warming up with Dinah Mo Hum and some of the stuff on Sheik Yerbouti, then with Joe's Garage he went and stuck it completely out.

Joe's Garage was released in 1979 as a three LP concept album set. Act I was offered up as a single disc with II and III being a double LP. I'm commenting on the whole piece here.

Sure, it starts out mildly enough with a little ditty about a garage band. The next thing you know we're into groupies, wet t-shirts, venereal disease, robot sex, prison sex, and it's all topped off with a little green rosetta. Let's just say you should probably keep this album away from children, with the possible exception of the instrumental, Watermelon In Easter Hay. Though I was in my teens when I first heard it, I don't think it has permanently warped me or anything, but then again...

Send comments to Slartibartfast (BETA) | Report this review (#218257) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 25, 2009

Review by The Truth
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
3 stars When compared to the next to acts, this album seems a little bit mediocre.

Whereas Act II and III are excellent music-wise, this one seems to mainly try to gain commercial success. The same humor is still in the music as the next two acts but the instrumentation is really not up to par with them. The songs are still catchy nontheless, Catholic Girls for instance, but they just aren't amazing like the ones on the other two acts.

The storyline seems to get really screwed up between the first appearance of The Central Scrutinizer and the last appearance and that really kind of irks me, the whole appliantology thing does really...

Nevertheless, it's a decent album, a great one for most artists and an OK one for Zappa.

3 stars.

Send comments to The Truth (BETA) | Report this review (#319211) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 14, 2010

Review by Prog Leviathan
5 stars "You'll love it; it's a way of life."

Joe's Garage opens to the threatening voice of Zappa as "the scrutinizer", enjoyably robotic and fun to the vamping of the rhythm section, with some sound effects thrown in there for good measure. Not so much music as it is an experiment to set the tone, which recurs throughout the album. This gives way to the first proper tune, the titular sing- along "Joe's Garage". Kind of zany and trite in a sardonic way (which I think might describe the entire album), this tune is smartly catchy and plays like something out of the musical Grease made manic with Zappa style-- it has more personality in the first two minutes than other artists try to cram into whole albums. "Catholic Girls" keeps the mood brisk and light-hearted, sounding like a parody or genre-mix-match of showtunes, lounge crooners, and the avant-garde. Lots of fun vocal interplay as well.

Sleezy guitar and harmonica follow with "Crew Slut", played with a western-feel while accompanying some very vulgar singing by Zappa. Great soloing here, but as a whole this song shows how some of the songs on this disc lose their appeal once the initial shock of their lyrics has worn off. "Wet-T Shirt Contest" picks the bouncy pace back up again (pun intended), with another catchy melody and trademark Zappa rock orchestration-- with heavy vibe work. Most will remember the dramatized contest itself though, with Zappa portraying the host. At this point the listener will be either completely turned off, embarassed, or laughing out loud. One's reaction is likely to determine whether or not they'll continue listening... because it only gets worse!

An extended and especially tasty guitar solo follows, a catchy song about VD, a surprisingly tender ballad, a unsubtle poke at new-age religion, disco beats to german lyrics, lots (and I mean lots) of sex with robotic-appliances, and lyrics which would make even a 14-year old boy queezy with embarassment. Sound like a Zappa album yet?

Part 1 to "Joe's Garage" ends upruptly, but I enjoyed the journey immensely. Very few albums in my collection are more fun to listen to, and although this is Zappa's most "accessible" album, it remains musically challenging and complex. There are layers of creativity hidden beneath the sleezery of the lyrics. Not to be missed, and a great place for fans to start exploring Zappa's rock style.

Songwriting: 5 Instrumental Performances: 4 Lyrics/Vocals: 4 Style/Emotion/Replay: 5

Send comments to Prog Leviathan (BETA) | Report this review (#357015) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 18, 2010

Review by VanVanVan
4 stars It seems funny to me that I think of this as some of Frank Zappa's later work when in actuality it came out in only 1979. Nonetheless, this is a different side of Frank Zappa then what appeared on his real early Mothers albums. The music is a little less weird, the lyrics are a little more scatological, but the energy and the "not-taking-itself-too-seriously" mentality that one can expect from Frank Zappa is definitely still here. "Joe's Garage" is a tongue-in-cheek concept album about the dangers of rock-and-roll, narrated by "The Central Scrutinizer," a kind of propagandistic character whose raspy words of warning appear throughout the album.

Speaking of The Central Scrutinizer, "Joe's Garage, Act I" begins with a track that bears his name. The track is really just an introduction, featuring about a few minutes of spoken word lyrics over an energetic, repeating groove. It sets the stage nicely and helps to establish the story, but in my opinion three and a half minutes is a little too long for a spoken word introduction.

"Joe's Garage" is next, and it's a darn good song. It almost has the feel of a very vintage kind of Americana, with some simple but charming lyrics and some fun instrumental breaks meant to represent the beginning attempts of "Joe's" band. It's a nice, pop-rock and roll track, and it's a hundred miles away from some of the experimental noise that appeared on the early Mothers albums. The track ends with about 30 seconds of narration from the Central Scrutinizer before transitioning into the next track.

"Catholic Girls" is that follow up, and it's thoroughly goofy. Featuring some hilariously exaggerated vocals and equally ridiculous lyrics, the song transitions between a more upbeat, doo-wop-ish section and a slower, more spaced-out section. It's still far more poppy than a lot of Zappa's past work, but the irreverent humor is thematically 100% Zappa.

And speaking of irreverent humor, "Crew Slut" fits that description pretty nicely. Starting off with a grooving and slightly sinister sounding guitar riff, "Crew Slut" develops around some driving bass-work into one of my favorite songs on the album. It's always amazing to me how Zappa can write songs with such goofy lyrics, through in some spoken word sections, and still make a better pop song than a whole lot of other artists who devoted their entire career to that genre.

"Wet T-Shirt Night" continues much in the same vein, which should be utterly unsurprising based on that title. It's an incredibly cheerful sounding song with a strange-but-cool instrumental towards the beginning that almost sounds like some kind of demented circus music, and I'm pretty sure at one points it quotes a brief bit of "Also Sprach Zarathustra." Like a lot of the album, it features a spoken word section, but it works pretty well here and doesn't detract from the song a bit.

"Toad O Line," which my copy lists as "On the Bus" is an instrumental that features Zappa's guitar prominently. Like all of Zappa's instrumental work it's absolutely amazing, and it's a perfect transition point in the album, providing an intense break from the absurd lyrics contained on the rest of the disk.

Fear not, though, as "Why Does It Hurt When I Pee" brings those lyrics back in top form, and it's actually hands down my favorite song on the album and might even be one of my favorite single Zappa songs ever. Musically it's amazing, with some incredibly intense guitar and some stellar keyboards as well. The frankly hilarious lyrics are delivered absolutely deadpan, which only makes them funnier.

"Lucille Has Messed My Mind Up" closes off the album. It's a spacey, smooth track with an excellent vocal performance and some psychedelic sound effects thrown in just for good measure. It's a great, comparatively restrained song, and it's a great closer.

I began this review with the intention of giving this album 3.5 stars, but after listening through it a couple more times I realize I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I called it anything less than excellent. If you need your lyrics serious then you probably won't enjoy this album, as the lyrics are pervasive and at the forefront of the music, but if you enjoy a bit of humor in your music then you owe it to yourself to hear this album. Certainly a bit poppy for Zappa, but when you can write songs as well as well as Mr. Zappa can then it really doesn't matter what genre you're writing in.

4/5

Send comments to VanVanVan (BETA) | Report this review (#575157) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 25, 2011

4 stars It's often refreshing to hear music that doesn't take itself too seriously. Zappa was a master of this. He made humourous, yet musically pleasant compositions to please anyone in that sort of mood for less serious music. Joe's Garage Act I is one of the better parts to find his more humourous ... (read more)

Report this review (#572627) | Posted by DisgruntledPorcupine | Monday, November 21, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Frank Zappa is a genius. Every song on this album is great. The first song I ever heard by Frank Zappa was Joe's Garage. I had read about him when I began reading about progressive rock with King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Yes, and Rush. I was watching the classic rock channel on tv when Frank Zappa ... (read more)

Report this review (#437879) | Posted by FloydZappa | Friday, April 22, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Haha, wow was my first impression of this entire epic concept album (with acts ii and iii as well) but for now i will just do the first act... i did enjoy this one more than the second disk, the songs were just a lot more in-your-face and it was just overall more concise than the second disc, son ... (read more)

Report this review (#289288) | Posted by FarBeyondProg | Monday, July 05, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Joe's Garage was perhaps the FZ album that got me convinced that I had to be a Zappa follower! It's possibly the funniest album I have ever heard. Zappa as The Central Scrutinizer is simply genius. A lot of guitar soloing is on this album with Zappa depicting the main character Joe who is a guit ... (read more)

Report this review (#170141) | Posted by Devnoy | Wednesday, May 07, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Act I was the more musical of them all, and this is agreeably the beginning of Zappa's more...commercial, I suppose you could say, era. Maybe accessible is a better word. The late 70s and start of the 80s seems to be the general time things like that went down for everyone. Yet Zappa was still ext ... (read more)

Report this review (#132262) | Posted by Shakespeare | Wednesday, August 08, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars A morally troublesome work by the musical guiding star of my life. Some great songs(and one truly tremendous guitar solo) are on here, but the sexism of this at times gets more than a little off-putting. While giddy good spirits manage to carry the day in "Catholic Girls" and "Wet T-Shirt Ni ... (read more)

Report this review (#97728) | Posted by GregCameron | Wednesday, November 08, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Joe's Garage Act's 1,2 & 3 is one of the greatest concept albums ever recorded. The story of a guy who just wanted to play music but discovers just how sleazy the music industry is. Takes a good shot at Scientology along the way. Very humorous and very complex. I've been listening to this alb ... (read more)

Report this review (#72101) | Posted by telecranker | Friday, March 17, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars We like(love), we do not like(love). Even if I am not a fan of Zappa, I find that his preparatory initiative is interesting. In this album we find a lot of humor and musical mockery (that we also find in Sheik Yerbouti who is in the same lineage). I love more particularly "Catholic Girls" who ... (read more)

Report this review (#45418) | Posted by miedj | Sunday, September 04, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars With Joe's Garage Zappa finally brings it all together. This is Zappa on all cylinders, strap in and go along for the ride. From the straight ahead rock of "Joe's Garage" to the soul balladry of "Lucille", Zappa's backing bands have never sounded better or more polished than this. Zappa's pen ... (read more)

Report this review (#35248) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Zappa at his best, Joe's garage, catholic girls, & crew slut, are all classics, while wet t-shirt nite, why does it hurt when i pee?, and lucille, are among some of his finestsongs ever. Brilliant guitar & lyrics, an exceedingly clever album as is the follow up acts ii & iii, by far the best album o ... (read more)

Report this review (#30267) | Posted by | Friday, May 06, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of FRANK ZAPPA "Joe's Garage, Act I"