IT'S MY LIFE

1. Dum Dum Girl (3:52)
2. Such a Shame (5:43)
3. Renée (6:23)
4. It's My Life (3:54)
5. Tomorrow Started (5:59)
6. The Last Time (4:24)
7. Call in the Night Boy (3:48)
8. Does Caroline Know? (4:41)
9. It's You (4:42)

- Ian Curnow / keyboards
- Phil Ramocon / piano
- Henry Lowther / trumpet
- Morris Pert / percussion

ArtWork: James Marsh with KB4Ai (design)

LP EMI ‎- EMC 2400021 (1984, UK)
LP EMI America ‎- ST-17113 (1984, Canada) W/ extended version of "It's My Life" (6:14)

CD EMI ‎- CDP 7 46063 2 (1985, UK)
CD EMI ‎- RETALK 101 (1997, Europe) Remastered by Denis Blackham and Phill Brown

and to Quinino for the last updates

TALK TALK MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TALK TALK It's My Life Music

Vinyl$59.99
Import · Remastered
EMI Import 2012
EMI Records 1990
It's My Life / Spirit of EdenIt's My Life / Spirit of Eden
EMI Import 2007
Talk Talk - It's My Life - EMI - 1A 064-2400021, EMI - 064 2400021Talk Talk - It's My Life - EMI - 1A 064-2400021, EMI - 064 2400021
Vinyl$204.66
It's My Life by TALK TALK (2012-04-10)It's My Life by TALK TALK (2012-04-10)
EMI Import
It's My Life: The Collection by Talk TalkIt's My Life: The Collection by Talk Talk
EMI Records
It's My Life/Spirit of Eden by Talk Talk (2003-03-10)It's My Life/Spirit of Eden by Talk Talk (2003-03-10)
EMI
It's My Life / The Colour Of Spring by Talk Talk (2011-04-05)It's My Life / The Colour Of Spring by Talk Talk (2011-04-05)
EMI Classics

TALK TALK It's My Life 7" VINYL B/W Renee (R6254) Sticker Mark On Pic Sleeve UK USD $6.59 Buy It Now 23h 22m
MY LIFE STORY Joined Up Talking CD 12 Track (Itrcd3) UK It USD $8.97 Buy It Now 1 day
Talk Talk - It's My Life 1984 USA 1st Press LP EX/EX PROMO STAMP Synth Pop Rock USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
It's My Life [Remaster] by Talk Talk (Used CD) USD $1.99 [0 bids]
TALK TALK "IT'S MY LIFE" CD ----9 TRACKS---- NEW+ USD $17.39 Buy It Now 1 day
TALK TALK It's My Life (CD 1988) USD $2.63 [0 bids]
TALK TALK It's My Life 1984 WEST GERMANY 1st pressing CD album 80s USD $17.60 Buy It Now 2 days
Talk Talk-It's My Life/Colour of Spring CD Excellent USD $31.77 Buy It Now 2 days
TALK TALK "ITS MY LIFE" ~ FIRST PRESSING ~ VINYL IS AUDIOPHILE QUALITY RARE USD $74.98 [0 bids]
USD $97.98 Buy It Now
Talk Talk - It's My Life/the Colour of Spring - Talk Talk CD CJVG USD $60.02 Buy It Now 2 days
TALK TALK IT'S MY LIFE original 1984 NME Trade Press Advert Poster Size # USD $10.55 Buy It Now 2 days
Talk Talk It's My Life LP USD $7.75 [0 bids]
USD $10.87 Buy It Now
Talk Talk - It's my Life USD $11.95 Buy It Now 3 days
TALK TALK - IT'S MY LIFE ORIG FRENCH PRESS 1984 PATHE MARCONI 1552311 EX COND USD $12.24 Buy It Now 3 days
TALK TALK - Its My Life ~ 7" Single PS USD $8.57 Buy It Now 3 days
Talk Talk - It's My Life - 80's New Wave - 2004 #138444 USD $9.23 Buy It Now 4 days
TALK TALK It's My Life Vinyl LP EMI ST-17113 Record Album EX Original USD $14.25 Buy It Now 4 days
Talk Talk 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) It's My Life German 1CK062-2004176 USD $38.23 Buy It Now 4 days
Talk Talk It's My Life 7" vinyl single record UK R6254 PARLOPHONE 1990 USD $14.46 Buy It Now 4 days
TALK TALK * NEW SEALED * CD ITS MY LIFE 1984 USD $4.62 [0 bids]
Talk Talk vs Liquid People It's My Life Promo UK CD Single Modern English USD $7.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Various - Heat Extended Hot Mixes LP (Talk Talk It's My Life, Billy Idol) VG+ USD $9.90 Buy It Now 6 days
Talk Talk, It's My Life, New Wave, 45RPM French Vinyl Single (7-inch) USD $2.63 [0 bids]
Talk Talk Its My Life 2 mixes + megamix rare Uk 12" USD $24.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Talk Talk Such A Shame,It's My Life New Usa Mixes 12" USD $12.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Talk Talk Its My Life 2 mixes Us 12' USD $19.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Talk Talk Its My Life Lp USD $22.99 Buy It Now 7 days
It's My Life [Remaster] by Talk Talk (CD, Sep-1997, Emi) USD $12.44 Buy It Now 7 days
Talk Talk It's My Life EMI 1984 UK 12" LP ELP1317 USD $14.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Talk Talk It's My Life USD $7.38 Buy It Now 8 days
Talk Talk - It's My Life: The Collection - Talk Talk CD VCVG USD $23.98 Buy It Now 8 days
TALK TALK It's My Life 12" Australia includes Talk Talk, Such A Shame USD $26.39 Buy It Now 9 days
TALK TALK rare IT'S MY LIFE GERMANY IMPORT CD 1984 9 tracks MARK HOLLIS USD $11.99 Buy It Now 9 days
TALK TALK it's my life NATURAL HISTORY laughing stock THE COLOUR OF SPRING 4 CDs USD $24.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Dr Alban Look Who's Talking B Side: It's My Life (Album version) 7" Vinyl USD $2.64 Buy It Now 10 days
TALK TALK - It's My Life (1990 UK 3-track PICTURE DISC CD single, w/live tracks) USD $9.99 Buy It Now 10 days
TALK TALK It's My Life / Renée (Live) / UK 1990 PARLOPHONE (R 6254) ORIG 7" MINT USD $2.95 Buy It Now 11 days
TALK TALK - It's My Life - CD USD $5.00 Buy It Now 11 days
TALK TALK It's My Life 7" JAPAN TOSHIBA EMI EMS-17455 PROMO WHITE LABEL USD $16.99 Buy It Now 11 days
TALK TALK THE COLLECTION BEST OF CD 16 TRKS IT'S MY LIFE LIFE'S WHAT YOU MAKE IT USD $3.68 Buy It Now 11 days
RECORD - LP -TALK TALK - IT'S MY LIFE - 12 INCH SINGLE - EXTENDED VERSION 45 RPM USD $11.60 Buy It Now 11 days
TALK TALK: It's My Life LP (promo stamp on cover, light razor mark on cover) Ro USD $15.00 Buy It Now 11 days
TALK TALK - IT'S MY LIFE CD USD $5.67 Buy It Now 12 days
Talk Talk, It's My Life, Excellent USD $5.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Talk Talk It's My Life Advert NME Cutting 1984 USD $11.87 Buy It Now 12 days
Talk Talk - It's My Life NEW CD USD $6.44 Buy It Now 12 days
TALK TALK It's My Life CLASSIC Album GALLERY QUALITY FRAMED+EXPRESS GLOBAL SHIP USD $52.75 Buy It Now 13 days
Talk Talk - It's My Life - Talk Talk CD S3VG USD $11.30 Buy It Now 13 days
Rod Stewart - Best Days Of My Life / I Don't Want To Talk About It 45 rpm 1979 USD $2.25 Buy It Now 13 days
TALK TALK - It's My Life - 1984 Orig. Vinyl 12'' Lp./ VG+/ Pop Rock AOR USD $14.99 Buy It Now 14 days
Talk Talk - It's my Life LP Vinyl Record, Singapore/Malaysia/HK Press USD $30.00 Buy It Now 15 days
12/5/90Pgn32 Advert: Talk Talk Their New Single its My Life Out Now 7x11 USD $9.24 Buy It Now 15 days
TALK TALK It's My Life RARE WEST GERMANY 01 matrix CD issue 80s USD $40.00 Buy It Now 16 days
TALK TALK Triple 3CD NEW The Party's Over/It's My Life/The Colour Of Spring USD $15.06 Buy It Now 16 days
TALK TALK "IT'S MY LIFE" 1984 UK VINYL LP & INNER SYNTH-POP / ALT ROCK. EX- USD $17.15 Buy It Now 16 days
TALK TALK (IT'S MY LIFE / AGAIN A GAME AGAIN) 7" CANADA USD $3.87 Buy It Now 17 days
Talk Talk - It's My Life The Collection USD $25.02 Buy It Now 17 days
TALK TALK it's my life*renee 1990 UK PARLOPHONE PS 45 USD $9.23 Buy It Now 17 days
Talk Talk - It's My Life - West Germany CD USD $7.99 Buy It Now 17 days
Talk Talk - Time It's Time CD 80'S POP / NEW WAVE "SUCH A SHAME" "IT'S MY LIFE" USD $5.00 Buy It Now 18 days
TALK TALK It's My Life / The Colour of Spring SOUTH AFRICA Cat#: CDDBLD 019 USD $16.99 Buy It Now 18 days
Talk Talk-Its my life-1984 poster size press advert USD $13.19 Buy It Now 18 days
Talk Talk "It's My Life" LP EX Orig Roxy Music Duran Duran LP USD $22.99 Buy It Now 19 days
TALK TALK It's My Life LTD Nod CD MUSIC FRAMED DISPLAY! USD $65.95 Buy It Now 19 days
Talk Talk It's My Life Pet Shop Boys Power Station Reflex Etc - Club Hits LP VG+ USD $19.90 Buy It Now 19 days
Talk Talk - It's My Life (NEW CD) USD $8.90 Buy It Now 20 days
Talk Talk ?It's My Life CASSETTE EMI TC EMC24.0002.4 USD $9.90 Buy It Now 21 days
It's My Life/Spirit of Eden by Talk Talk (CD, Mar-2003, 2 Discs, EMI) NEW USD $21.97 Buy It Now 21 days
Talk Talk It's My Life LP NM- Holland Import RARE! Vinyl 1984 New Wave USD $20.00 Buy It Now 22 days
TALK TALK - IT'S MY LIFE 7" VINYL PS 1984 - EX/EX USD $7.91 Buy It Now 22 days
Talk Talk - It's My Life - Talk Talk CD VKVG USD $5.27 Buy It Now 22 days
TALK TALK**IT'S MY LIFE**CD USD $3.95 Buy It Now 22 days
TALK TALK - It's My Life (Vinyl LP) EMI ST-17113 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 23 days
TALK TALK - It's My Life - CD Mark Hollis USD $7.58 Buy It Now 23 days
18/2/84pg17 Album Advert 15x10 Talk Talk, It's My Life (our Price) USD $13.19 Buy It Now 24 days
It's My Life [Talk Talk] [1 disc] [5099962178426] New CD USD $7.81 Buy It Now 24 days
TALK TALK It's my life 1984 MEXICAN PROMO 7" EX RARE USD $14.00 Buy It Now 24 days
Talk Talk "It's My Life Remix" 12" NM Orig Roxy Music Duran Duran LP USD $24.99 Buy It Now 25 days
Talk Talk "It's My Life" 7" NM OOP Duran Duran Roxy Music No Doubt USD $11.99 Buy It Now 25 days
Talk Talk - It's My Life: The Collection - CD Compilation Album 16 Tracks Good USD $3.29 Buy It Now 25 days
TALK TALK It's My Life - RARE 1 Sided Promo 12" Psychedeliceurorhythms EX!! USD $19.79 Buy It Now 26 days
SH84-1/2P20 TALK TALK : IT'S MY LIFE SINGLE ADVERT 11X4" USD $5.28 Buy It Now 26 days
TALK TALK-IT'S MY LIFE-1984-USA-EMI-MANHATTAN REC.CDP 7 46063 2 DIDX 1178-CD-M- USD $24.99 Buy It Now 26 days
TALK TALK IT'S MY LIFE NM USD $15.48 Buy It Now 27 days
Talk Talk - It's My Life - Parlophone - 1990 #740673 USD $3.95 Buy It Now 27 days
Talk Talk - It's My Life [CD New] USD $7.82 Buy It Now 27 days
It's My Life by Talk Talk (CD, Apr-2012, EMI) USD $5.40 Buy It Now 27 days
It's My Life - Talk Talk (CD Used Very Good) USD $6.29 Buy It Now 27 days
It's My Life by Talk Talk (CD, Apr-2012, EMI) USD $15.38 Buy It Now 28 days
TALK TALK - IT'S MY LIFE (CD, 1984, EMI, UK) USD $8.00 Buy It Now 28 days
It's My Life by Talk Talk LP PROMO new wave synthpop USD $6.99 Buy It Now 28 days
TALK TALK It's My Life (Tropical Love Forest Mix) b/w Hits Megamix (1990) UK 12" USD $19.99 Buy It Now 28 days
TALK TALK: Natural History: Very Best Of Talk Talk [IT'S MY LIFE,TALK TALK++] USD $11.98 Buy It Now 29 days
TALK TALK 12 X 12 ORIGINAL MIXES 12" EXTENDED MIXES CD TODAY IT'S MY LIFE USD $11.61 Buy It Now 29 days
Talk Talk It's My Life LP NM- Holland Import RARE! Vinyl 1984 New Wave USD $20.00 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy TALK TALK music online Buy TALK TALK & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TALK TALK DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TALK TALK It's My Life ratings distribution

TALK TALK It's My Life reviews

Review by FloydWright
2 stars It feels quite strange for me to give a TALK TALK album a low rating, but it's obvious this one lacks the maturity of Colour of Spring and their future work. If you, as I did, are coming from having heard that later work, expect this to bear little relationship to their future work, except perhaps a bit of a tie to Colour of Spring. Still, there are some very interesting flashes of TALK TALK's future promise, even in this early work, that can't be denied. What causes it a problem, though, is the fact that it's very clearly stuck in the middle between the decent pop rock of The Party's Over and the new direction of Colour of Spring, and measures up rather mediocre. I wouldn't call it bad, but this is probably the last album you should get to complete your TALK TALK collection.

MARK HOLLIS' vocals, as always, never fail to impress. Expect them to sound more like Colour of Spring or The Party's Over, rather than the delicate stylings of his self-titled solo album, or Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock. What is quite peculiar compared to any future album (but evident also on The Party's Over), is the sheer amounts of more negative, aggressive emotions that he pours into his voice on certain songs, such as the anguish of "Renée", the biting "Call in the Night Boy", and the angry, almost screamed "It's You". I have to admit, it's pretty interesting to see a vocalist who can perform well with such opposite stylings.

The strongest tracks, with the most indications of TALK TALK's future directions, were the darker, more mysterious tracks, which was, in my opinion, what the 80s sound did best, rather than the happier, poppier stuff (think of PINK FLOYD's "Yet Another Movie" and "Sorrow", ROGER WATERS' "Home", PETER GABRIEL's "San Jacinto", or Mister Mister's "Broken Wings"). "Renée" in particular has a brass arrangement that hints at HOLLIS' later uses of the instrument. "Such a Shame" has a wonderfully haunting synthy intro and although the end is executed in a somewhat clunky manner, it definitely is evidence of creative thinking on TALK TALK's part. The clear star of the album, however, is "Tomorrow Started"--dark and mysterious, and by far the most sophisticated, with trumpet work that hints at Miles Davis as well as the sound of the Far East.

Probably the songs that were singles were the least enjoyable to me and the most dated-sounding, although none of them were totally devoid of interesting items. "Dum Dum Girl", unsurprisingly, wasn't exactly the sharpest track on the album, but listenable, and I liked the chorus. "It's My Life" had a rather unfortunate synth effect in it, although the chord progression was all right...overall, this track was a bit too poppy for me. Similarly, "The Last Time" was another weaker point--a bit too Eurythmics, but the multitracked vocals were pleasant to listen to. "Does Caroline Know?" was slightly dated as well, but again the vocals made up for it. Even with these, given the choice, I'd much rather listen to TALK TALK's variety of synth pop than almost any other group's.

Review by Matti
3 stars 80's pop at its nearly best! Even though I prefer the later Talk Talk's deeply innovative artful style, I enjoy also the upbeat songs like 'It's My Life' and 'Dum Dum Girl'. They were miles ahead of Duran Duran or Human League - in fact to categorize earlier Talk Talk as mere 'synth pop' is unfair. They had a good deal of originality to start with, the sound and overall appearance just took more time to fully mature. And yes, Mark Hollis has a unique voice.

On the second album side there are some tracks that to me are a bit boring and monotonous ('Call in the Night, Boys' is better as a spacey piano version on some TT compilation, and 'Does Caroline Know?' could have remained as a perfect single b-side). But apart from the energy-surge of the hit tracks, this album's highlights are 'Renée' and 'Tomorrow Started', both sad and very atmospheric. Trumpet solo in the latter is actually quite jazzy. Also featured is the (Brand X etc) percussionist Morris Pert. This music may be more or less 'synth pop' or 'new wave ' but very well played and intelligent with many levels to be found in it. A minor classic of its era.

Review by bhikkhu
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Team
3 stars Here is a nice bit of '80s pop, or is it? It's got the familiar sounds, but there is more going on here (we would soon discover that there was actually a lot more going on). These guys started out much like their synth contemporaries, but there was something a bit different. There was an elusive quality that was hard to put your finger on. This second album showed tremendous evolution, and foreshadowed things to come.

There are plenty of elements of good alternative pop here. It begins with "Dum Dum Girl," and has the well known classic "It's My Life." It is some of the other songs that bear closer examination.

"Such a Shame" sounds very close to prog in the beginning.

"Rene" has some wonderfully rubbery bass, and percussion that you might expect to find on a Peter Gabriel album.

"Tomorrow Started" sounds like a cross between Nat King Cole, and Brian Eno.

"Does Caroline Know" has got a serious calypso influence.

At a glance, this album may seem conventional. Take the time to listen again, and listen closely. In a way, this is a form of proto-prog. It is the foundation, upon which they would build up to greater achievements. It's also a very good album. Because it's not actually prog, I can't say it would do anything to truly round out a collection. So I can only give it three stars here.

H.T. Riekels

Review by Chris S
3 stars This was Talk Talk synth pop at it's best. A highly consistent affair of great pop tunes showing more maturity than their debut album with classic tracks like ' Dum Dum Girl', the bass driven ' Such A Shame', the melancholic ' Tomorrow's Started' and the commercial ' It's My Life'. This was when Mark Hollis really stretched his vocal range with his distinctive tone. His voice became more of a soft warble on the last two studio classics so it was good to hear him stretching his vocal chords a bit before the abstract and the wonderfully obscure Spirit Of Eden came out. A really good studio release.
Review by Prog-jester
3 stars This is still a fine Pop album as “The Party’s over”, but two songs are stand-out tracks. First is “Renee”, one of the best ballads I ever heard, so moving and sincere, full of latent passion and cry-bordering Hollis vocals. Second is “Tomorrow Started”, with those two desolate desperate ringing notes in chorus – a nod to what TALK TALK is going to become. Actually, even here TALKies are already influental - take crazy trumpet solos from "Tomorrow Started" and compare it to half-noticeable trumpet collage in RADIOHEAD's "How to Disapperar Completelty" second chorus (my fave song from them). Got the picture now? ;)

Other songs (including hits like “It’s my Life” and “Such a Shame”) are well-done, but second side (after “Tomorrow Started”) sounds a bit boring, too usual, too synth-pop-like…Good but forgettable 80s’ pop tracks. Still not recommended for those TALK TALK newbies, who decided to pick them after seeing “Spirit of Eden” or “Laughing Stock” positive reviews. But if you want to have a relax-dose of 80s pop-MUSIC, early TALKies is the best thing you can experience. Limited recommendation :)

Review by UMUR
2 stars The second album from Talk Talk was a jump forward in the bands career and sound. The compositions are a bit stronger than on the debut, but the music is still synth pop in the vein of Depeche Mode and New Order. The prog rock leanings would first start on the third album The Colour of Spring. Wether you like this kind of music or not, it´s hard not to be fascinated by the profesionalism that Talk Talk showcases here. The compositions are good and the melancholic vocals from Mark Hollis begins to be defining for the sound of Talk Talk.

Songs like Dum Dum Girl and Such a Shame and It´s My Life are instantly recognizable and hit material in my ears. I know this is a naughty word to prog heads but in this case it´s what I think the debut lacked. There were simply not enough memorable songs on that one.

I have to note the very beautiful cover art which would suggest that this is a neo prog band, but don´t be fooled. This is eighties synth pop with a melancholic mood and it has nothing to do with prog rock.

All in all a very enjoyable album, which I can only give 2 stars though as it has almost nothing to do with prog rock. But just wait for that third album, boy! did things change for the much better with that one.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars A template for sophisticated pop

Two years on, and Talk Talk return for their second album with an enhanced line up. The most significant change is the arrival of keyboard player and producer Tim Friese-Greene, who replaces Simon Brenner.

While still firmly rooted in the 80's synth pop scene, It's my life offers definite indications of the prog direction which the band will follow in due course. There is a certain deceptive simplicity here which disguises some far more complex thoughts and ambitions. The singles and potential singles are still very much in evidence, but even these simply ooze class and refinement. Take Such a shame for example. On the face of it, a melodic pop song with a killer hook. Dig just a little deeper though, and we find a carefully crafted number with superb instrumentation and a vocal performance that others can only aspire to.

Songs such as Dum dum girl (dumb name!) and the title track follow a similar pattern. I do not pretend for a moment that they are in any way prog, but they will appeal to many of us who enjoy prog.

Renee is probably the clearest hint of the direction the band will soon find themselves embarking on. This downbeat, melancholy number features Mark Hollis in the style he suits best, the floating synths and beautiful melody combining to create something unique and powerful. Tomorrow's started, which was released as a single in Holland, has a similar feel.

Some of the later tracks on the album are less successful, with the likes of Call in the night boy tending to recycle the same ideas one too many times. This is though another fine effort by Talk Talk, and one which offers a template for sophisticated pop.

The remastered CD sounds excellent, but is once again devoid of bonus material. This becomes even more frustrating when the booklet actually includes an illustration for the non-album single My foolish friend released in 1983.

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars "It's My Life" is slightly better than their debut album.

Fully electro-pop oriented, it holds several fine melodies and one song which is burned in my memory. Probably for ever.

Typical sound of the eighties, but with some feeling. My fave out of this album is their hit-single "Such A Shame". I remember that I couldn't have enough at the time. Often aired on the radios, it was always a pleasure to listen to this jewel of a melody. Such a shame it doesn't have any relation with prog.

This album is full of catchy, even poignant ("Renée") songs. Much better keys than before, it contributes to provide a nice feeling and a song as "It's My Life" is of course always pleasant to listen to, that's not the problem. Synth pop at his best, that's what it is.

In those days, there were not many interesting stuff going on in my musical life, and I have to say that I have listened to many bands representing this style of music. And to be honest, "Talk Talk" was one of the best one available.

It is true to say that listening to this whole album might lead to a certain boredom feeling. The melancholic and uniform tone of voice of Holis might even increase the feeling. Ambient at times ("Tomorrow Started"), this work is somewhat too much of the s(h)ame.

The B-side of this album was really not on par. It holds several average (It's You) to even weak numbers of which "The Last Time" and "Call In The Night Boy" are probably the worse one available.

On a prog scale, this album is worth one star. But since I rated "In Rock" with five, I will just consider this album on a pure and global musical angle. Half of it is good, half of it is weak. Two stars.

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars The early Talk Talk albums contain a few stand-out gems, but they also tend to have a great deal of lesser tracks as well.

Such A Shame and It's My Life are two true Talk Talk classics and there isn't really much more to say about them since you've probably already quite familiar with these compositions! Having said that there are a few other nice moments like the songs Does Caroline Know? and Tomorrow Started but I personally think that they work a lot better in their stripped down versions on the live recording called London 1986.

Unfortunately all is not hunky dory with It's My Life since it also features some extremely dated material like It's You and Call In The Night Boy which make this album pretty average to say the least. The album barely fits into the good, but non-essential category although the highlights definitely manage to spare it from a complete disaster.

***** star songs: Such A Shame (5:43) It's My Life (3:54)

**** star songs: Dum Dum Girl (3:52) Renée (6:23)

*** star songs: Tomorrow Started (5:59) The Last Time (4:24) Does Caroline Know? (4:41) It's You (4:42)

** star songs: Call In The Night Boy (3:48)

Total rating: 3,59

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
Bonnek avatar
3 stars One would wish all artists in the hit parade could write quality pop like Talk Talk did on this album.

The band had grown up since the debut and had become more serious about everything, especially composition and production are a huge step up. The album has classic hit parade anthems like Dum Dum Girl, Such A Shame and It's My Life. Also The Last Time and Call In The Night Boy probably fit in that list but are obviously way too happy for me. With Renée and Tomorrow Started, the album has two songs that absolutely floor me. They do not only have a sincere deep melancholy, but also the musicianship and arrangements are much more sophisticated then anything they had done so far. This has nothing ado with synth-pop anymore.

Things were turning in exciting directions for Talk Talk. Their professionalism and integrity would make them do another big jump ahead on the next album.

Review by Warthur
4 stars The culmination of Talk Talk's synthpop period, It's My Life doesn't offer many hints of the intriguing, genre-defining post-rock experiments to come, though they're there if you know where to look (pay particular attention to Henry Lowther's contributions on trumpet, especially on Tomorrow Started, for instance). What it does accomplish, though, is establishing a melancholy mood that isn't interrupted by anything resembling an upbeat track. Even the title track, which was a reasonably successful single, is as much a lament as a celebration in its tone. A charming album, though it's much stronger if you remember to approach it like it is its own thing rather than expecting something along the lines of Laughing Stock.
Review by Prog Leviathan
4 stars It's My Life is a great example of how artistry isn't exclusive to the "prog" genre. Strictly speaking, this album is synth-pop coming out the new wave movement of the early '80s. In some ways this release fits right in - lots of synth, a strong British vibe, and a catchy veneer. But while more mainstream groups like Duran Duran or Flock of Seagulls focused on hooks and melody, Talk Talk crafts songs that are more like portraits, each one lush with sound and nuance that grows with each listen.

While there are some songs here that are stronger than others, such as the excellent, noir "Renee," the entire album oozes class and depth. The keyboardists do an outstanding job of creating layers of sound, all of which has a professional polish that is devoid of some of the cartoonish qualities that plague many synth-heavy compositions. Paul Webb's bass is some of the strongest pop work I think I've ever heard; his lines are thick and heavy and engaging. Thanks to the excellent production we can hear every note of him, and of the rich keyboards. The overall effect is impeccable.

Hollis' voice adds an unique air of melancholy to the mix. He sounds very real, not playing for hooks or the dance floor, which I suppose is a compliment that applies to the entire band as well.

All in all one of the better pop oriented albums I've discovered here at Prog Archives. It's My Life is considerably more enjoyable than most of the '80's content put out by more well-known prog bands during the same time frame (such as Yes' 98015 or Genesis' Abacab). Not so highly recommended as Talk Talk's amazing later output, but still a great addition!

Songwriting: 4 - Instrumental Performances: 3 - Lyrics/Vocals: 3 - Style/Emotion/Replay: 4

4 stars Great synth pop with genuine prog credentials. This is the band's second album, and it contains a great collection of songs which are, to me, far more interesting than those on their subsequent album "The Colour of Spring". I consider that this album represents the high point in Talk Talk's out ... (read more)

Report this review (#1566979) | Posted by _Mike | Wednesday, May 18, 2016 | Review Permanlink

4 stars If there are defining moments in a band's life, Talk Talk had two within the space of a year. The first came in Milton Keynes ona rainy October afternoon in 1982, when they supported Genesis/6 of the Best - the reunion in aid of Peter Gabriel's ill-fated WOMAD. I was there, I was one of the pe ... (read more)

Report this review (#98289) | Posted by squonkuk | Saturday, November 11, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars As an album I find it rather boring, but the individual songs are actually quite good, the sounds on the album come over like a cross between Peter Gabriel and Brian Eno, with soft intimate sounds on songs like Renee and my favourite song Tomorow Started and more upfront pop-pieces, like the f ... (read more)

Report this review (#95404) | Posted by tuxon | Sunday, October 22, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I don't see why the low ratings for this album. Of course, it's not prog at all but it is very good pop/rock music. The band's style has evolved from straightforward synthpop to more evolved pop/rock, probably with the addition of producer/keyboardist Tim Freese- Greene and a bunch of good gues ... (read more)

Report this review (#75879) | Posted by zaxx | Saturday, April 22, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Talk Talk!!! Begining with Talk Talk (the song) ... boy what a great pop!!! Listen to the arrgements and the guitars and the whole concept (even when it's not a conceptual album). This is One of my favorites albums EVER!. Is not as dense as Colour of Spring which is more experimental, it´s ... (read more)

Report this review (#31116) | Posted by | Thursday, November 25, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TALK TALK "It's My Life"