CORDON BLEU

Solution Cordon Bleu album cover

Buy SOLUTION Music
Studio Album, released in 1975

1. Chappaqua (10:33)
2. Third Line Part 1 (1:39)
3. Third Line Part 2 (5:45)
4. A Song For You (3:53)
5. Whirligig (9:01)
6. Last Detail Part 1 (2:48)
7. Last Detail Part 2 (2:42)
8. Black Pearl Part 1 (1:14)
9. Black Pearl Part 2 (5:01)

Search SOLUTION Cordon Bleu lyrics

- Guus Willemse / bass, lead vocals, backing vocals

Guests:
- Michiel Pos / saxophone and guitar
- Frankie Fish / backing vocals

LP Rocket 5c 062-97136 (1975) / LP CBS 84383 (1980) / CD CBS 32227 (1988)

SOLUTION MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SOLUTION Cordon Bleu Music

cordon bleu LPcordon bleu LP
ROCKET
Vinyl$12.00 (used)
CD divergence ~ USD $15.01
CD solution ~ USD $15.01

More places to buy SOLUTION music online Buy SOLUTION & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SOLUTION DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SOLUTION Cordon Bleu ratings distribution

SOLUTION Cordon Bleu reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars This third album is the last one I heard and I have never seen other albums be it on CD . I have not heard the vinyls either. This is still interesting music to proghead , but I find every album thy made less interesting and slightly more commercial than its preceding . If the debut was almost instrumental , the sophomore was well sung , this album however makes mistakes ( fautes de gout) in the vocal department sometimes ruining the otherwise good music . So unbearable that I rarely listened to it and got rid of it as I needed shelf space. Still worth a spin , but I warned you about it so get a listen before buying. I was generous with the rating of this album , but the music is still correct.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#31599) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 28, 2004

Review by greenback
5 stars What a great fusion album! This fusion band from Netherlands have a seriously developed sense of catchy & addictive rhythm: they produce very accessible (although not simple), melodic, lively & slightly romantic sax-oriented jazz-rock compositions. The omnipresent melodies and harmonies coming from keyboards and multiple saxes proudly stand on "solid as a rock" foot beating rhythms provided by the drums, the bass and sometimes low pitched keyboards. The omnipresent keyboards occupy a very important place in the music: catchy & jazzy piano, floating organ, joyful clavinet?, tender Fender Rhodes, and some other more modern floating keyboards. The bass, very rhythmic and complex, is quite loud and full of bottom. The impressively elaborated & varied drums have the Phil Collins' style of the mid 70's. Shall we mention the presence of some very good male lead & backing vocals. There are very rare acoustic and electric guitars, but they are so discreet that the album sounds like no guitars are present. The final last track has a beautiful flute part, contrasting with all the previous sax marathon! The overall sound is ABSOLUTELY pleasant, fresh and clean! All the tracks are excellent! The sax parts and vocals sound a bit like the ones on the Passport's Earthborn album (Klaus Doldinger's band); the "Cordon bleu" sound is however less modern.

THE LEAST I CAN DO IS TO HIGHLY RECOMMENDED YOU THIS ALBUM!

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#31601) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Review by Tony Fisher
5 stars Many years ago, I owned a copy of this album. I had found it in Arnhem whilst on holiday after searching for days and it was one of my most cherished possessions. One day, my wife saw it's scruffy, battered cover and threw it out. I was very upset and, soon after, I divorced her. I have trawled round many second hand record shops for a replacement, so far without success.That is how highly I rate the music of this band and this album in particular. Whilst the vocals do not quite match up to the instrumental parts, they are perfectly acceptable and the tracks are predominantly instrumental anyway, full of brilliant keyboard/sax interplays with an inventive and extremely tight rhythm section to back it all up. The feel is very jazzy but laid back with a mix of floating mellotron and other keyboards, some superb piano work and some virtuoso sax playing. There is a little guitar on this album, which is unusual for the band, and it is discrete and very well integrated. All the tracks are of a high standard, perhaps the pick being Whirligig and Black Pearl parts 1 and 2, which has excellent lyrics. The recording quality on vinyl is also fabulous. The album is noteworthy for its complete lack of commercialism, the sole aim appears to have been to create great music. The Dutch have produced some excellent progressive bands who are hardly known in Britain but who are appreciated in their own country and noted for virtuoso musicianship (FOCUS, TRACE, EKSEPTION). SOLUTION are another and well worth seeking out. I can only say that I would far sooner have another copy of this album than another wife. Enough said!

Send comments to Tony Fisher (BETA) | Report this review (#31602) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Review by friso
4 stars Solution - Cordon Bleu

Concentration, taking their time resulting in perfect balanced fusion album.

I've always had something with prog from my homeland, Holland. Solution is one of the last discoveries for my Dutch prog collection. More then prog however, this is jazz rock. Don't expect hypertechnical solo's and highly developed fusion composition here, but think of it as record with great songwriting and climaxes. This is more then technical an emotional addition for your jazzrock/fusion collection.

In this stage of their career Solution was Tom Barlage on windinstruments, Willem Ennes on keys, Hans Waterman on drums and Guus Willemse on bass and vocals. All musicians have a easy going playing style which sounds very professional. The one trap of this bands it the elevator kind of music some band make, which is of no interest to fans of progressive rock. This record might be the only record of Solution that is very atmospheric without dull moments.

Most of the tracks are instrumental, building up tension from beginning to end. Always playing perfectly by the book, but also without playing notes that are uncalled for. Berlage's wind solo's are clean and perfect, but not too perfect to be boring. In fact, I never heard a jazz-rock record with wind solo's that touched me so much as this one. A lot of people in your personal environment might also like this record, for it is not to hard to listen to.

Conclusion. A very worthwhile record and one of my favourite fusion records. It makes you want to listen to it, though without much noodlings. I'm tempted to give this five stars, but that wouldn't be appropriate for a progressive website. Still this is an excellent addition to any progressive rock music collection. Four stars then.

Send comments to friso (BETA) | Report this review (#245530) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Review by b_olariu
3 stars 3.5 really

Solution from Holland was one of the enjoyble bands from early to late'70's from progressive jazz fusion realm. Haveing a moderate succes in this field specialy for their third album Cordon bleu from 1975 with each album rlease after they become more an more mainstream jazz fusion, ligher and almost gone towards comercial side. Anyway this third album issued at Elton John's label Rocket records in 1975 keeps the flag high in jazz fusion world, being one of the pleasent surprises coming from Holland in that period. The album alternates from long instrumental pieces like Chappaqua and Whirligig with short pieces those being with voice. The musicianship is great, the thing that I'm not agree that this is their best album is that the song writting is to usual, I mean I can hear this kind of arrangements on many jazz fusion bands from that period, but in the end the album is not bad at all only common to my ears. So, a pleasent album, nothing really spectacular, well played and with some nice instrumental passages.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#602318) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 03, 2012

4 stars This album by Dutch band SOLUTION is an enigma in many ways. The style of the band seems to occupy the grey area that exists between full on fusion and romantic R&B. That is to say, it takes elements from WEATHER REPORT style jazz fusion, and marries them to occasional moments of blue eyed soul a ... (read more)

Report this review (#85865) | Posted by Nipsey88 | Saturday, August 05, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SOLUTION "Cordon Bleu"