TOMORROW

Tomorrow Tomorrow album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy TOMORROW Music
Studio Album, released in 1968

1. My White Bicycle (3:17)
2. Colonel Brown (2:51)
3. Claremont Lake (3:01)
4. Real Life Permanent Dream (3:15)
5. Shy Boy (2:26)
6. Revolution (3:48)
7. The Incredible Journey of Timothy Chase (3:17)
8. Auntie Mary's Dress Shop (2:44)
9. Strawberry Fields Forever (3:58)
10. Three Jolly Little Dwarfs (2:26)
11. Now Your Time Has Come (4:51)
12. Hallucinations (2:37)

- Mark P. Wirtz / keyboards, percussion
- John Wood / bass

- John Burgess / ???
- Ken Lawrence / drums

LP Parlophone PCS 7042 (stereo) / LP Harvest SHSM 2010 (1976) / CD See for Miles SEECD 314 (1991)

TOMORROW MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TOMORROW Tomorrow Music

TomorrowTomorrow
EMI 1999
TomorrowTomorrow
Vinilisssimo 2013
Vinyl$30.00
Come Tomorrow Manfred Mann 7" vinyl single record UK POP1381 USD $15.81 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Charlie Rich Tomorrow Night vinyl LP album record USA APLI-0258 RCA 1973 USD $15.79 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Communards Tomorrow 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) UK LONX143 LONDON 1987 USD $18.68 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Tomorrow Tongue 'n' Cheek CD single (CD5 / 5") UK CDSY34 EMI 1990 USD $26.69 Buy It Now 1h 34m
45 RECORD PS JOHNNY RIVERS: BABY I NEED YOUR LOVIN', GETTIN' READY FOR TOMORROW USD $6.27 Buy It Now 1h 34m
THOM YORKE ( RADIOHEAD ) TOMORROW'S MODERN BOXES JAPAN CD with Art Cards[F/S] USD $51.26 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Enya I Want Tomorrow UK 7" vinyl single record RESL201 BBC 1987 USD $40.35 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Jean-Phi Dary - City Of Tomorrow Remixes [Vinyl New] USD $7.21 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Now Is Tomorrow Definition Of Sound UK CD single (CD5 / 5") YRCD54 CIRCA 1990 USD $13.70 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Paul Weller Into Tomorrow - Snapped 3" CD single (CD3) Japanese PCDY-00098 USD $25.27 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Coheed And Cambria - No World For Tomorrow NEW CD USD $7.09 Buy It Now 1h 47m
TOM JONES " SAY YOU'LL STAY UNTIL TOMORROW / LADY LAY " 45 MINT USD $3.75 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Marty Wilde Tomorrow's Clown 7" vinyl single record UK PB.1191 PHILIPS 1961 USD $23.03 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Gene Pitney Yours Until Tomorrow 7" vinyl single record UK SS2131 STATESIDE USD $28.80 Buy It Now 1h 52m
WEATHER REPORT - FORECAST: TOMORROW (+DVD) NEW CD USD $63.64 Buy It Now 2h
Paul Cebar Tomorrow Sound - Fine Rude Thing (Audio CD January 2014) NEW USD $8.97 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Dave Koz - Hello Tomorrow [CD New] USD $9.55 Buy It Now 2h 7m
Avalanche - Will There Be Tomorrow? [CD New] USD $18.19 Buy It Now 2h 7m
AFTERMATH | "Eyes Of Tomorrow" CD | Zoid/Thermometer 1995 pressing USD $10.09 [0 bids]
Tell Me Tomorrow - White Vinyl Princess 7" vinyl single record UK SUPE106 USD $15.79 Buy It Now 2h 10m
STALKERS "YESTERDAY IS NO TOMORROW" CD, NEW USD $4.32 Buy It Now 2h 10m
The End of Tomorrow 0039841474220 by Ravage, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P USD $17.15 Buy It Now 2h 16m
BERNADETTE I KNEW YOU WHEN/IT'S ALMOST TOMORROW GOLD COAST 6122 M- USD $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 17m
MINDEXPANDERS VOL 3 - ZOO / ELECTRIC TOMORROW ETC. USD $10.93 Buy It Now 2h 17m
Paula Abdul Dance Like There's No Tomorrow USA CD album (CDLP) DRM-30277 USD $23.81 Buy It Now 2h 17m
Paul Johnson 7" vinyl single record No More Tomorrow UK PJOHN7 CBS 1989 USD $10.02 Buy It Now 2h 18m
Children Of Tomorrow 5013929182127 by Mike Stuart Span, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P USD $20.76 Buy It Now 2h 20m
Iveys Maybe Tomorrow - Black Vinyl Japanese 7" vinyl single record AR-2198 USD $213.60 Buy It Now 2h 23m
Knife 2 CD album (Double CD) Tomorrow In A Year Swedish RABID044 USD $29.60 Buy It Now 2h 27m
James Tomorrow - Part 1 2 & 3 UK 3-CD album (Triple CD) JIMDD/CD/ED17 FONTANA USD $27.34 Buy It Now 2h 28m
THE SENSATIONAL ALEX HARVEY BAND TOMORROW BELONGS TO ME excellent+ 1975 UK LP USD $14.44 [0 bids]
Eddie Schwartz"TOnight/All our Tomorrows"45 Record ATCO 7342 1981 USD $3.95 Buy It Now 2h 34m
BETTY EVERETT BETTER TOMORROW THAN TODAY USD $1.43 [0 bids]
Billy Fury Maybe Tomorrow Rare 1959 1st UK T1-1C/T1-1C Decca Tricentre F 11102 USD $4.32 [1 bids]
UV Pop: No Songs Tomorrow LP USD $13.71 Buy It Now 2h 53m
UV Pop: Just A Game / No Songs Tomorrow (Small Spindle Hole) 7" VINYL Single USD $10.29 Buy It Now 2h 54m
Conquest Of Tomorrow Today - Chinese (CD Used Very Good) USD $10.60 Buy It Now 2h 54m
Different Tomorrow - Dirty Passion 7393210233164 (CD Used Very Good) USD $15.21 Buy It Now 2h 54m
Madness Tomorrow's Just Another Day Tour Advert NME Cutting 1983 USD $14.44 Buy It Now 3h
SHIRELLES**WILL YOU LOVE ME TOMORROW**2 CD SET USD $4.95 Buy It Now 3h 2m
Hot Rod Circuit - Sorry About Tomorrow LP 2002 ORIG Get Up Kids Saves the Day USD $75.50 Buy It Now 3h 16m
THE MELODI LIGHT ORCHESTRA Jack Ashore / Tomorrow We Live 10" 78 CHAPPELL C529 USD $18.75 Buy It Now 3h 17m
Looking Back on Tomorrow by Fred Hamilton (CD, Mar-1995) USD $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 36m
All My Tomorrows - Grover Washington Jr., ... USD $12.41 Buy It Now 3h 36m
Tomorrow modern boxes USD $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 38m
Fewdle Lords 1968 Farewell To Today And Tomorrow Tiara 917 Rare Garage Psych NM USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow... - Kenny Loggins USD $12.97 Buy It Now 3h 38m
Dave Gahan Kingdom/ Tomorrow 7" Vinyl Picture Disc 4386 USD $12.98 Buy It Now 3h 41m
Rock Promo 45 Smyle - Will I Get Back Home Tomorrow / Glory Glory On Epic USD $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 43m
FOUR SEASONS WILL YOU LOVE ME TOMORROW / SILHOUETTES UK PHILIPS 60s POP USD $14.42 Buy It Now 3h 45m
THE BEE GEES Tomorrow Tomorrow Norwegian 45PS 1969 USD $14.00 Buy It Now 3h 45m
Free Beer Tomorrow USD $8.77 Buy It Now 3h 46m
STRAWBERRY ALARM CLOCK 45 Tomorrow / Birds In My Tree - NM USD $6.00 Buy It Now 3h 47m
Celebration - Tomorrow's Here Today (Vinyl 7" - Friends Records, 2013) USD $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 49m
The Jayhawks - Tomorrow the Green Grass (CD) USD $2.00 Buy It Now 3h 50m
Boards Of Canada: Tomorrow's Harvest (2-LPs) USD $29.94 Buy It Now 3h 51m
MERV SHINER LOVE WITH NO TOMORROW/IT'S NOTHIN PROMO RCA 5983 USD $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 55m
The Shirelles WILL YOU LOVE ME TOMORROW Best Of 38 Songs ESSENTIAL New 2 CD USD $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 58m
When by Tomorrows Tulips (CD, Burger Records) USD $14.00 Buy It Now 3h 58m
Tomorrow Is My Turn [LP] by Rhiannon Giddens (Vinyl, Mar-2015, Nonesuch (USA)EW USD $16.99 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Gilbert O'Sullivan - Tomorrow, Today Japan 3inch CD USD $4.99 [0 bids]
4h
tomorrow noise annoys battery boys cheap local talent 7" vinyl 45 rare punk USD $67.84 Buy It Now 4h
Melanie Neighborhood 45 Record #4213 NM 1973 Here i am/will you love me tomorrow USD $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 5m
Cry Tomorrow - Stephanie Finch (CD Used Very Good) USD $12.54 Buy It Now 4h 9m
SPINNERS - YESTERDAY TODAY AND TOMORROW , ATLANTIC 1977 , VG++/EX ,LP USD $5.70 Buy It Now 4h 9m
British Psych Flower Tomorrow Deep Purple Twice As Much Yardbirds USD $6.99 [0 bids]
Madness - 7" Picture Disc - Tomorrow's Just Another Day MINT NEW BACK STOCK 1982 USD $15.00 Buy It Now 4h 17m
BAZ smile to shine problem kids kings of tomorrow ambas 12" RECORD USD $8.75 Buy It Now 4h 18m
Yesterday. Today. Tomorrow-Greatest Hits Of - Kenny Loggins (CD Used Very Good) USD $16.44 Buy It Now 4h 25m
Brothers Johnson Get The Funk Out Ma/Tomorrow 45 RPM USD $6.00 Buy It Now 4h 30m
SHIRELLES WILL YOU LOVE ME TOMORROW / BOYS top rank jar 540 USD $23.10 Buy It Now 4h 31m
Nancy Wilson -Today Tomorrow Forever 7" EP UK 1964 VG/EX Northern Soul USD $14.44 Buy It Now 4h 32m
Tomorrow the Green Grass by The Jayhawks  HITS  Minty CD  New Case USD $6.00 Buy It Now 4h 36m
TED FIO RITO TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY & BLUE VENETIAN WATERS DECCA F6442 USD $3.61 Buy It Now 4h 42m
BILLY FURY/MAYBE TOMORROW EP/YELLOW SLEEVE/1959/RARE!!!! USD $61.65 [5 bids]
AYSHEA BROUGH Don't Wait 'Till Tomorrow Rare 1975 Vinyl 7" Inch Promo DJS.612 USD $14.42 [0 bids]
northern soul THE ETHICS There'll Still Be A Sweet Tomorrow VENT hear soundclip! USD $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 46m
REX ALLEN L-O-N-E-S-O-M-E LETTER BLUES/TOMORROW'S JUST ANOTHER DAY DECCA 29397 USD $7.99 Buy It Now 4h 49m
ROY CLARK - SOMEWHERE BETWEEN LOVE AND TOMORROW 7" JUKEBOX CENTRE USD $5.04 Buy It Now 4h 51m
1 CENT CD Tomorrow's Child - Jonathan Edwards USD $0.06 [2 bids]
1 CENT CD Tomorrow's Child - Jonathan Edwards USD $0.78 [3 bids]
Jay & The Americans UA 45 Record 566 NM 1963 What's The Use / Strangers Tomorrow USD $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 56m
Nutone Singers present Running To Catch Tomorrow vinyl LP private press VG+ USD $9.95 Buy It Now 5h 12m
Tongue N Cheek Tomorrow 12"Vinyl Single USD $11.91 Buy It Now 5h 16m
Eurythmics When Tomorrow Comes (PS) 7" Vinyl USD $7.22 Buy It Now 5h 16m
Today, Tomorrow, Forever by Nancy Wilson (CD, Jun-2000, Capitol) USD $10.59 Buy It Now 5h 16m
Tomorrow Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Bill Fay (CD, Feb-2005, Durtro Jnana) USD $13.47 Buy It Now 5h 16m
This Was Tomorrow by Seth Sentry (CD, Sep-2012, HSR) USD $10.48 Buy It Now 5h 16m
David Houston Don't Mention Tomorrow/You Mean The World To Me 45 RPM Epic Record USD $9.00 Buy It Now 5h 21m
MANFRED MANN - PRETTY FLAMINGO / COME TOMORROW 7" VINYL USD $7.20 Buy It Now 5h 22m
CHAINS I Cried/ Yesterday Today Tomorrow 7" 45 NEW COLOR VINYL GARAGE SWAMP RATS USD $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 22m
THE SPARROW PSYCH GARAGE 45 COLUMBIA PROMO LABEL TOMORROWS SHIP /ISN'T IT USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Europe Wings Of Tomorrow Cassette Tape 1984 Swedish Heavy Hair Metal Hard Rock USD $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 24m
Vera Lynn - From Tomorrow 7" MGM USD $5.78 Buy It Now 5h 26m
ANGRY SAMOANS - YESTERDAY STARTED TOMORROW SEALED 1987 MINI LP PVC LABEL USD $22.99 Buy It Now 5h 26m
ROULETTES: I Can't Stop-Yesterday,Today & Tomorrow-U.K. 7" 66 Parlophone R 5461 USD $74.98 Buy It Now 5h 28m
DAVE KOZ - HELLO TOMORROW NEW CD USD $14.77 Buy It Now 5h 29m
RALPH McTELL LP NOT TILL TOMORROW. REPRISE UK K44210 LAMINATED SLEEVE +INSERT USD $7.20 [0 bids]
A Wonderful World The Bright Tomorrows~1970s? Christian Xian~FAST SHIPPING! USD $11.65 Buy It Now 5h 40m
Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest 2LP NEW USD $29.99 Buy It Now 5h 42m

More places to buy TOMORROW music online Buy TOMORROW & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TOMORROW DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TOMORROW Tomorrow ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(4%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(29%)

TOMORROW Tomorrow reviews

Review by hdfisch
3 stars Well, this is quite a nice psychedelic pop-rock album of late sixties, just another one in my huge collection and I'll probably not listen to it once again in the near future just like to the others. Not because it's bad, but there are just too many other records which are fulfilling more my demands to music. Some songs are really in a nice experimental vein like early Floyd, but there are as well some not very much exciting. The cover version of "Strawberry Fields Forever" I'd not call necessarily better than the original (who can be better than The Beatles??), just a bit different. I'm not sure whether this record is an essential one unless one is interested to listen to a very early work of Steve Howe. Apart of this fact I could list a full bunch of bands doing some more or less similar stuff in the 60's like them, as for example Edgar Broughton Band, The Who, Love, The Move, Spirit or H.P. Lovecraft to name just a few. But overall good for 3 stars.

Review by Trotsky
3 stars If these were the Psycharchives, Tomorrow's sole album could have retired happily on the basis of the whopping 5 stars I would have accorded it. For I believe this Steve Howe-inspired nugget to be one of the finest examples of late 60s British psychedelic rock. Unfortunately, I cannot in good conscience recommend it wholeheartedly to all you proggers out there, so I guess a minor history lesson is in order.

The UK psych scene of the late 60s produced many quality works that might well appeal to progressive fans. Some of the bands responsible for these classics include Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Traffic, Procol Harum, Quintessence and Soft Machine who eventually evolved in a more progressive direction and thus are listed in these archives. Other bands like The Zombies (Odessey And Oracle), The Pretty Things (S.F. Sorrow), Spooky Tooth (Spooky Two), The Small Faces (Ogden's Nut Gone Flake), Nirvana (The Story Of Simon Simopath and All Of Us) and indeed The Beatles (Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Magical Mystery Tour) never made that progression. Tomorrow belongs in the latter category. As far as I'm concerned Tomorrow's eponymous album is a stunning psych album that probably only made it on the archives because one of the group's members went on to became progressive rock's greatest guitarist.

The album itself contains some of my favourite moments of psychedelic rock in the form of My White Bicycle (later covered by rockers Nazareth), the sitar-driven Real Life Permanent Dream, the compulsive Revolution, the aching Hallucinations and a stupendous cover of The Byrds' Why (which was actually just a single B-side tagged on this CD as a bonus track). Allied to the Beatlesque pop of Colonel Brown, Shy Boy, The Incredible Journey Of Timothy Chase, Three Jolly Little Dwarfs and a passable cover of Strawberry Fields Forever that doesn't quite compare to the original (how could it?), but still manages to still comfortably alongside the other tracks, Tomorrow is a mesmerizing, seamless example of top-notch psychedelic rock.

Aside from Why and the equally compelling Claramount Lake (incidentally Howe's trademark playing is most apparent on these two cuts), the bonus tracks include (the rhythm section's side project) The Aquarian Age's marvellous 10,000 Words In A Cardboard Box as well as its absolutely atrocious Good Wizzard Meets Naughty Wizzard. There are also four tracks from Tomorrow's lead singer Keith West including Kinks-influenced tracks like On A Saturday and The Kid Was A Killer but regrettably not his hit single Teenage Opera. There's also a bit of a musical whodunnit courtesy of two totally different songs both called Now Your Time Has come!

In a prog-rock context this is hardly essential, but to a psych fan, it's an absolute peach of a discovery just waiting for you. ... 64% on the MPV scale

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
1 stars I admit: I only write about Tomorrow for the opportunity to give low rates for change. Maybe this album (made in '67) can be nominated as a classic of British psychedelia and compared to the Floyd debut, and "should" be rated higher than one star - but these are MY ratings! I don't much enjoy Piper at the Gates of Dawn either, but surely more than this. So, how did I come to this album anyway? Plainly for two members: Steve Howe and Keith West. The latter's 'Scenes from a Teenage opera' delighted me long ago and I expected something similar. No. Just typical punkish psychedelia where even Steve Howe plays as if he never learned to play guitar. Some nice harpsichord-like keyboards here and there, but I've heard that so many times (almost in all psychedelia I've tortured myself with - except that I kinda like psychedelic Beatles) that I have no energy to be turned on. No doubt if I had the patience to get into these songs better and see the humour in lyrics I'd give more stars. Musically not a single track won my heart with one quick listening. And why cover 'Strawberry Fields Forever' since Beatles made it perfect already (unless it's for example a smooth jazz cover by Dianne Reeves, or was it Cassandra Wilson). Anyway, if you are a prog-collector and consider this just for Howe's sake, forget it. But if your favourite Pink Floyd album is Piper, you probably like this one too.

Review by Certif1ed
3 stars If you're a rabid fan of Steve Howe, and must own everything he played on, then this is is must-have. Otherwise, it's a fine collection of 1960s psychedelia, that will help your Swingin' Sixties party along - although I would highly recommend albums by The Shocking Blue, Chrysalis and Clear Light above this.

The album itself is basically a collection of unrelated short songs along the lines of "Listen To The Flower People" by Spinal Tap.

However, the version I'm reviewing has bonus tracks, which are far more interesting than the Tomorrow album itself from a Prog perspective - particularly 3 tracks by an offshoot project called "The Aquarian Age" led by John "Twink" Alder - a phenomenal visionary, and participant in many of the most influential bands in the Psychedelic scene, including The Pretty Things, Tomorrow themselves and the Pink Faries (and by implication, Hawkwind).

Otherwise, the album as a whole does not really live up to the experimental promise of the best-known (and opening) track "My White Bicycle". There's a good reason why this was covered in the late 1980s by Nigel Planer, AKA Neil of the BBC TV series "The Young Ones", as it's an archetypical "psychedelic" track, laced with backwards guitar a la "Tomorrow Never Knows", and insane stereo panning guaranteed to have you reaching for the Aspirin.

Nevertheless, although the overall construction is a pop song, it's an interesting curio, and worth obtaining as part of a compilation (there are a fair few 1960s, "old" rock and even prog albums that contain this).

The heavy Beatles influence in "Real Life Permanent Dream" is highly amusing - Tablas and Sitars produce a swrling entry to a song which sounds like it came from half a decade previously. The bass line is notably McCartney in style too - in all, a great example of how progressive the Beatles were, for any doubters. The lyrics seem to be a slight side-swipe at people like Syd Barrett...

One of the buzz words of the swinging sixties was "Revolution", and Tomorrow cram even more psychedelic nonsense in here, with possibly the most expermental track on the album. I use the word "nonsense" fondly here, as although it's clearly gibberish, with the constant references to flower children and such like, this is Steve Howe's major contribution to the album, and the most inventive by several miles. If you can get over the naivety of most of it, it's a highly entertaining piece.

"The Incredible Journey of Timothy Chase" is musically based on "Lovely Rita" and "Hey Joe", with some quite bizarre and often interesting tangential changes and a highly promising guitar solo that is cut off in its prime.

The quintessentially English sound conveyed by "Auntie Mary's Dress Shop" is highly reminiscent of Kaleidoscope, but comes in halfway between some of the quirkier Syd Barrett/Floyd songs and the more humourous Beatles numbers. Kudos to the keyboard player for recreating the sound that the Fab 4 used in "Piggies".

A passable and precise - if inferior cover of "Strawberry Fields" is followed by one of the most horrible songs I've ever heard. Yes, it was fashionable to sing about Gnomes and suchlike, but a few seconds of this is enough to clear an entire roomful of happy party- goers.

Steve Howe fans have one more treat in "Now Your Time Has Come", where Steve attempts to imitate a sitar, and also plays some good stuff with a real hippy flavour.

The album ends with an odd song called "Hallucinations" which is notable in it's blandness - although I may have been disappointed in my expectations of some more psychedelic studio jiggery pokery and some of the other awesome experimental music of the time.

THE BONUS TRACKS:

The first is a boring little song called "Claramount Lake", the next is a heavier version of "Real Life Permanent Dream", then a cover of the Byrd's "Why", which Tomorrow used to open their live sets (note, the sleeve notes credit also confusingly credit this song to the earlier Tomorrow incarnation The In Crowd as well as the Byrds), next a "phased MONO version" of "Revolution", and finally a "Long-lost" recording of "Now Your Time Has Come", which doesn't include the line "Now Your Time Has Come" at all... spooky!

After these bonus Tomorrow tracks are 3 songs that make it worth hunting out this version of the CD for any fan of early progressive music - 3 tracks from a John Alder and John Wood (Twink and Junior) project called "The Aquarian Age";

"10,000 words in a Cardboard Box", which is a fabulous song later re-recorded by Twink and his band on the legendary and frankly amazing album "Think Pink".

"Good Wizzard Meets Naughty Wizzard", suffers from far too many hallucinogens, but nevertheless features some really neat playing.

Better examples of this kind of spoken drama over music are to be found on Kaleidoscope's "Tangerine Dream" and the Small Faces "Ogden's Nut Gone". It's deeply silly, and will raise a laugh in some people on the first listen - but the music is great, and more progressive than any of the Tomorrow music.

Not to be heard under the influence of illegal drugs... although I'm sure you're not the type anyway...

"Me" rounds off this trio of triptastic tranciness with harpsichord driven wierdness remarkably sane lyrics and some quite amazing music.

The bonus tracks go on (and on!) with 4 additional tracks from Keith West which are good, but nothing can really follow The Aquarian Age songs - I'd suggest programming your CD player so that the latter come on last.

In short, the version of the CD I'm reviewing from (with the bonus tracks) is of great interest to Prog Historians and those interested in early progressive music - and great psychedelic music. As a result, the most I can give it is 3 stars.

Review by The Wizard
3 stars Along with Pink Floyd and The Soft Machine, Tommorow were one of the top bands to grace the London underground scene. While Floyd and The Softs liked to expand their compositions live, Tommorow kept them short and sweet. This makes them one of the poppier bands of that scene. This album really isn't prog at all, but it's excellent psychedelic pop. Nonetheless it is pretty trippy, just not very challenging. There is a clear Beatles influence, as well as a clear Syd Barrett influence.

This album is known for two reason (1. Containing future Yes guitar genius Steve Howe and (2. Having the 'hit' single 'My White Bicycle', a classic anthem of the counterculture. you can hear some of the classic trademark Howe guitar moves, but he still is pretty far from where he will be in Yes. An example would be that is jazzy lines found in 'Yours is no Disgrace' appear in this album. I don't really know how much of an influence Howe had on this record, Kieth West seems to be at the front of everything though.

West's vocals are nothing incredible, but they do work for the style. He is very similar to the vocalist for the Pretty Things, and he has a distinct British tone. At least they didn't let Howe sing! The rhythm section is very influenced by The Who, with crashing drums and powerful bass. Twink is a great drummer, and he gets to show his skill on the album. The lyrics are British whimsy, shrouded with a haze of psychedelia.

Much of the experimentation comes from backwards guitar solos, use of sitars and tablas, and crazy effects. This was all common in the era 'Tomorrow' was released, so there's nothing really innovative here. To be honest, the band wasn't really doing anything new or breaking new ground, they were basically just going with the flow. That doesnt make the songs bad or anything, just don't expect any radical experimentation.

Some of the better tracks are 'My White Bicycle', 'Hallucinations' (incredible Steve Howe guitar intro!), 'Real Life Permanent Dream' (great sitar), 'Revolution', 'Claremont Lake', and a nice cover of 'Strawberry Fields Forever'. However, tracks like 'Shy Boy' and ' Auntie Mary's Dress Shop' are an atrocious attempt to take on the British Whimsy of the The Kinks which miserably fail. Otherwise, all the songs range from good to excellent.

Overall, this is well crafted psychedelic pop that doesnt break much ground and with influences clear. With that put aside, this belongs in your collection along with Barrett era Floyd and The Soft Machine. Also check out if your a Steve Howe fan, but be warned that this is has little in common with Yes.

Review by Tom Ozric
3 stars The main reason for this album is naturally for the fact that guitar virtuoso Steve Howe featured on it. Why not include 'Flaming Youth', coz it was Phil Collins' debut recording as drummer/vocalist ?? Maybe because 'Tomorrow' were superior to FY !! The famous (or is he infamous) Twink is the drummer here, he would go on to the phenomenal 'peoples' band, Pink Faeries. This album contains some quite exciting psychedelic tunes, sometimes following in the wake of 'Sgt. Pepper's...' and Howe's contribution provides an embryonic prescence to his unique style of playing. Not much pfaff to be found here, the only tracks that don't click with me are the pompous 'Excerpt from a Teenage Opera' for side 1, and the somewhat 'sugary' 'Three Jolly Little Dwarfs' on side 2. Key tracks are 'My White Bicycle', 'Colonel Brown', 'Revolution', and 'Now Your Time Has Come', which features a long Steve Howe show-case. Not really prog, but its importance and some really great songs are worth 3.5 stars.

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
3 stars Tomorrow is one band that can legitimately claim the designation of ‘proto-prog’. They were among the early British psych bands who laid the foundation for many progressive bands that followed. The band also launched the career of Steve Howe. And there is more than a little evidence to suggest they influenced even some of their contemporaries, including the Beatles (check out the bonus track “Revolution” on the CD reissue of this album); the Who; and even Syd Barrett (arguably in a negative way), who drummer ‘Twink’ Adler played with briefly after Adler left Tomorrow and Barrett was long gone from Pink Floyd.

Musically Tomorrow’s compositions have been compared to some of Barrett’s work around the same time with Pink Floyd, meaning really that they tended to be short, rather intense in tempo, and generally socio-cultural in theme, although generally in a rather abstract way. Tomorrow’s music was also much more coherent than much of Barrett’s stuff though.

This is definitely a period piece as far as the themes and the compositions. The sound is decidedly 1968, just to the right of full-blown hippy music and a bit left of contemporary popular music of the same period. It compares fairly well to the first couple of Moody Blues albums, as well as the Kinks, Manfred Mann, Rolling Stones, and Soft Machine albums around the same time. But most of those bands hung around for a while and developed their sound, whereas Tomorrow faded into obscurity pretty quickly, with only Steve Howe really making a strong name for himself in the industry after the band’s demise. And maybe Adler as well, who besides appearing with Barrett would go on to log time with the Pink Fairies and Pretty Things.

Most of that 1968 music hasn’t aged particularly well, appealing today mostly to those middle-agers who have fond memories of these songs when they were new. And I doubt if all that many music fans around today can legitimately make that claim about Tomorrow since the band recorded only one album which was not particularly well- received. The band had a couple singles, both of which are on the CD version of this record, and neither of which garnered much attention.

Besides the tracks already mentioned, there are a few other interesting tracks worth noting. The “Strawberry Fields Forever” cover is a very faithful rendition of the Beatles classic, with Howe giving Paul McCartney a real lesson on how psych-pop guitar should be played. “Hallucinations” is too poppish and short to really be a psych tune, but Howe on guitar and Mark Wirtz on keyboards come close.

And the short tempo changes and gibberish vocals on “The Incredible Journey of Timothy Chase” make this one seem like a missing Sgt. Pepper’s tune, while “Auntie Mary's Dress Shop” could almost be considered a Brit prog-folk tune.

This is an interesting album historically, and I can see where the band would have had some appeal in the time it was released. But this is collectors-stuff for the most part, more significant as a curio than as a serious addition to a prog collection. I’m tempted to give it two stars for that reason, but the compositions are pretty tight, Howe is excellent as the new young stud guitarist on the block, and the short ditties do kind of grow on you after a while. So three stars, but fair warning that unless you have an affinity for pre-Woodstock pop-psych you probably should avoid this one.

peace

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars Howe it was yesterday

Tomorrow were an early "supergroup" in reverse, in that the band members went on to find fame and fortune elsewhere. The main interest from a prog perspective is Steve Howe's (YES) involvement in the short lived project. The band evolved from a soul covers band by the name of The In Crowd, intent on writing an playing their own material. They were however also very conscious of their image (Yes, even Steve!), their audience being present as much for what they saw as what they heard.

The music is based in the psychedelic era of the late 1960's, and is best described now using words such as dated and primitive. It is not as dynamic or as exciting as Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd, not as commercial as the Bee Gees, and the songs do not have the strength of the Beatles. These though are among the main influences upon Tomorrow, they even cover "Strawberry Fields forever" here.

The opening track "My white bicycle" was a minor hit for the band, and later successfully covered by Narazeth. It is a catchy piece of psych pop, but hardly ground breaking. The rest of the tracks are charming but rather forgettable, descending to a low on the "Laughing gnome" like "Three jolly little dwarfs". "Now your time has come" is the only song with any semblance of complexity, the track featuring the first hints of Howe's distinctive guitar sound in a reasonably long guitar break.

If we are honest, the sole interest here is Howe's involvement. Do not however expect to hear much virtuoso guitar work, Howe is kept very much in check, providing electric rhythm guitar only. Keith West, the vocalist with the band, would enjoy solo commercial success while the band were still an operating unit with his "Excerpt form a teenage opera", and this would lead to the early demise of Tomorrow after just one album.

In all, an inoffensive pop album from the late 1960's, which may be of interest to those looking to find Steve Howe's earliest work. By no means essential though.

Review by stefro
4 stars One of the leading, and most important, of the British outfits from the brief, late-sixties psychedelic boom, Tomorrow featured a fairly iconic line-up of soon-to-be famous musicians, future Yes guitarist-and-stalwart Steve Howe chief among them. Accompanied by oddball drummer Twink(real name John Adler), popular vocalist Keith West(him of 'Teenage Opera' fame), keyboardist Mark Wirtz and bassist John Wood, Tomorrow were a talented outfit who straddled the (then) increasingly blurred line between straight-ahead pop and multicoloured psychedelia, offering up such catchy nuggets as album-opener 'My White Bicycle', the jocular 'Colonel Brown' and the deceptively-complex 'Real Life Permanent Dream'(as well as an excellent, rocked-up version of The Beatles seminal 'Strawberry Fields'), tracks that laid the blueprint for much of the psychedelic rock-and-pop appearing across Britain in the aftermath of this album's 1968 release. Of course, when compared with the emerging progressive acts - the likes of Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Yes & Genesis as well as fellow psych-purveyors Pink Floyd - the five-pieces kitsch music seems less impressive. However, after several listens, 'Tomorrow' reveals a genuine instrumental clarity, hence the lofty reputation the album affords. And remember: without groups like Tomorrow we wouldn't have prog-rock, as it was bands like they(amongst others) who took the limited three-minute pop-format and(obviously influenced in part by their art school backgrounds) expanded it with the reckless glee of youth that colours so much era-defining pop music. Full of good moments then, this is first rate British psychedelia. STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

2 stars This album is of course psychedelic pop and has nothing to do with prog and I have no problem with that as such. However even with all the well known people involved in making this album, it's thoroughly mediocre psychedelia and totally unexceptional and with all the utterly mindblowing psyche ... (read more)

Report this review (#62501) | Posted by | Saturday, December 31, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TOMORROW "Tomorrow"