TOMORROW

Tomorrow Tomorrow album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy TOMORROW Music
Studio Album, released in 1968

1. My White Bicycle (3:17)
2. Colonel Brown (2:51)
3. Claremont Lake (3:01)
4. Real Life Permanent Dream (3:15)
5. Shy Boy (2:26)
6. Revolution (3:48) *
7. The Incredible Journey of Timothy Chase (3:17)
8. Auntie Mary's Dress Shop (2:44)
9. Strawberry Fields Forever (3:58)
10. Three Jolly Little Dwarfs (2:26)
11. Now Your Time Has Come (4:51)

Bonus Tracks on 1999 EMI remaster:
12. Hallucinations (2:37)
12. Claramount Lake (3:01)
13. Real Life Permanent Dream (Alternative Early Mono Version) (2:22) *
14. Why (3:57) *
15. Revolution (Phased Mono Version) (3:48) *
16. Now Your Time Has Come (3:02) *
17. 10, Words In A Cardboard Box (3:25)
18. Good Wizzard Meets Naughty Wizzard (4:40) *
23. The Visit (4:05) *

Total time 78:03

* Mono
Tracks 1-16 recorded by Tomorrow
Tracks 17-19 recorded by The Aquarian Age (Junior and Twink)
Tracks 20-23 recorded by Keith West (w/ Howe, Dunbar & Wood)
Tracks 13-19 Previously unreleased

Search TOMORROW Tomorrow lyrics

Search TOMORROW Tomorrow tabs

- Keith West / lead vocals (1-16,20-23), producer (20-23)
- Steve Howe / guitars (1-16,20-23)
- John "Junior" Wood / bass (1-19)
- John "Twink" Adler / drums, percussion (1-19)

With:
- Mark P. Wirtz / keyboards (1-19), percussion, musical direction & production (1-19)
- Ronnie Wood / bass (20-23)
- Aynsley Dunbar / drums (20-23)

Artwork: Mike Sedgewick

LP Parlophone ‎- PCS 7042 (1968, UK) Stereo
LP Parlophone ‎- PMC 7042 (1968, UK) Mono

CD See For Miles Records Ltd. ‎- SEE CD 314 (1991, UK)
CD EMI ‎- 498 8192 (1999, Europe) Remastered to 24-bit w/ 12 bonus tracks

and to Quinino for the last updates

TOMORROW MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TOMORROW Tomorrow Music

TomorrowTomorrow
EMI 1999
TomorrowTomorrow
Vinilisssimo 2013
Vinyl$19.95 (used)
MANFRED MANN - Come Tomorrow - 7" UK Vinyl Single 1965 HMV VG+/EX USD $5.44 Buy It Now 30m 17s
MANFRED MANN, COME TOMORROW / WHAT DID I DO WRONG, HMV RECORDS, EX USD $2.73 [0 bids]
31m 1s
Evergreen - Tomorrow Never Knows 4 versions Promo Mint USD $3.99 Buy It Now 36m 11s
DJ Ecco & Sabotage - A Better Tomorrow EP 12" W/Lbl USD $5.45 Buy It Now 37m 24s
The Spinners - Yesterday today and tomorrow US VINYL LP USD $9.52 Buy It Now 38m 46s
Early Grave - Tomorrow I Am You (CD 2009) FAST POST!! USD $8.97 Buy It Now 39m 38s
Farewell Drifters The - Tomorrow Forever NEW CD USD $14.47 Buy It Now 42m 50s
JIMMY RUFFIN - LETS SAY GOODBYE TOMORROW 7" VINYL USD $13.61 Buy It Now 45m 22s
SILVERSTEIN / THERE FOR TOMORROW - Sacrifice - Rock Sound Mag EP CD USD $4.07 [0 bids]
48m 47s
The Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Tomorrow Belongs to Me (Vertigo VEL-2004) USD $14.99 Buy It Now 55m 45s
Nancy Wilson Today Tomorrow Forever LP MOno UK press Ex 1964 USD $13.63 Buy It Now 57m 34s
DAVID ROGERS ''TODAY AND TOMORROW / YOU TOUCHED MY HEART'' ORIG.45RPM VG++ USD $2.29 Buy It Now 58m 5s
Tomorrow Forever - Farewell Drifters (CD Used Very Good) USD $12.52 Buy It Now 59m 11s
THE COMMUNARDS "NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE" "TOMORROW". PS USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
The Sugarcubes Here today tomorrow Next Week, LP cassette LOT Bjork Björk USD $17.50 Buy It Now 1h 3m
BLACK SABBATH - TOMORROW'S DREAM 7/45 PORTUGAL PS 1972 EXC RARE UNIQUE VERTIGO USD $50.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Factory Sealed HAGOOD HARDY Maybe Tomorrow 1976 CAPITOL Classic Country LP USD $16.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
EUROPE/WINGS OF TOMORROW JPN VIL6095 USD $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 5m
ROBERTA FLACK "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" Atlantic 2851 USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Tomorrow Morning Freewheeling Casablanca 0014 PROMO VG+ Rock 45 RPM 1974 7" USD $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 7m
PETER, PAUL & MARY: See What Tomorrow Brings LP (Mono, gold label, slight cover USD $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Dan Davis - Tonight Midnight Tomorrow [CD New] USD $11.42 Buy It Now 1h 12m
SUNSTORM CD - EDGE OF TOMORROW (2016) - NEW UNOPENED - ROCK METAL - FRONTIERS USD $18.99 Buy It Now 1h 12m
RALPH McTELL Not Till Tomorrow UK LP + insert 1972 ex/ex USD $9.52 Buy It Now 1h 14m
INSPIRAL CARPETS COME BACK TOMORROW NEW 2003 MUTE VINYL 7 INCH SINGLE*LAST STOCK USD $13.56 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Rare! ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW film soundtrack OST LP 1959 JOHN LEWIS Robert Wise USD $43.60 Buy It Now 1h 17m
So Long See You Tomorrow - Bombay Bicycle Club 601091418622 (CD Used Very Good) USD $9.48 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Hello Tomorrow - Dave Koz (CD Used Very Good) USD $8.46 Buy It Now 1h 19m
I'll Be Sweeter Tomorrow - Escorts (CD Used Very Good) CD-R USD $8.10 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Through The Magnifying Glass Of Tomorrow - My Cat Is An Alie (CD Used Very Good) USD $14.15 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Peter, Paul, and Mary - See What Tomorrow Brings - Vinyl Record - 0363 USD $12.30 Buy It Now 1h 21m
MADNESS - TOMORROW'S (just another day) RARE 1983 Benilux 7" EX/EX MOD SKA USD $6.80 [0 bids]
Ronan Keating - Destination CD incl. If Tomorrow Never Comes, Lovin' Each Day USD $4.76 [0 bids]
Yours Today Mine Tomorrow [EP] by Big Screen SEALED CD USD $5.98 Buy It Now 1h 30m
BETTY EVERETT Better Tomorrow Than Today I Can't Say No To You UNI 55122 SOUL 45 USD $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Charlie 45 It's Inevitable/Can't Wait Til Tomorrow USD $2.00 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Europe ?- Wings Of Tomorrow cassette album tape USD $1.35 [0 bids]
SILJE 2 x 7" Singles- Tell Me Where You're Going + For Tomorrow [1990/91] USD $4.76 Buy It Now 1h 36m
FIVE BILLS 45 Can't Wait For Tomorrow / Til I Waltz NEAR MINT Doo Wop RE bb3146 USD $21.00 Buy It Now 1h 37m
TOMORROW'S PROMISE 45 - THAT'S THE WAY IT WILL STAY (MONO)/(STEREO) USD $3.95 Buy It Now 1h 39m
EMANUEL LASKY: Tomorrow 45 rare Soul USD $40.00 Buy It Now 1h 39m
SOUNDTRACK OF OUR LIVES "SHINE ON THERE'S ANOTHER DAY AFTER TOMORROW" VINYL 10" USD $19.76 Buy It Now 1h 44m
LOVE UNLIMITED-PEOPLE OF TOMORROW ARE CHILDREN TODAY TC-2110 STEREO/MONO NM 45 USD $5.98 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Various Artists: Readers Digest, Today's Golden Hits Tomorrow's Golden Memories, USD $14.29 Buy It Now 1h 45m
LAVERN BAKER Tweedlee Dee/Tomorrow Night 78 on Atlantic R&B G USD $6.50 Buy It Now 1h 49m
EURYTHMICS THE MIRACLE OF LOVE / WHEN TOMORROW COMES VINYL 7" SINGLE PIC SLEEVE USD $4.31 Buy It Now 1h 53m
EURYTHMICS WHEN TOMORROW COMES / TAKE YOUR PAIN AWAY VINYL 7" SINGLE PIC SLEEVE USD $5.40 Buy It Now 1h 53m
The Jayhawks - Tomorrow the Green Grass (CD 1999) Features "Bad Time" USD $6.80 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Yesterday Today & Tomorrow - Glyder (CD Used Very Good) USD $11.60 Buy It Now 2h
JEAN SHEPARD VG++ I'm A Believer 45 I Think I'll Wait Til Tomorrow UA XW701-Y USD $16.96 Buy It Now 2h
ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW: Soundtrack OST Modern Jazz Quartet DG UA Vinyl LP NM- USD $25.00 Buy It Now 2h 9m
Beans-Tomorrow Right Now CD NEW USD $17.41 Buy It Now 2h 9m
Mr. Brooks... A Better Tomorrow Mavado Audio CD USD $24.46 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Sh832/3P08 MADNESS : TOMORROW'S JUST ANOTHER DAY SINGLE ADVERT 11X8" USD $10.90 Buy It Now 2h 18m
Roads of Tomorrow Rex Foster with Don & Merrily Psych Folk, Country, World LP USD $99.99 Buy It Now 2h 18m
Sh832/3P26 MADNESS : TOMORROW'S (JUST ANOTHER DAY) SONGWORDS USD $5.45 Buy It Now 2h 21m
Shirelles - Will You Love Me Tomorrow/Soldier Boy/Mama Said 3" CD Single USD $4.07 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Small Day Tomorrow-a Tribute to David Frishberg & Tanja Siebert CD USD $28.00 Buy It Now 2h 28m
Peter Paul and Mary See What Tomorrow Brings WB 1615 G+ / G+ USD $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 29m
JON E.HOLIDAY YES I WILL LOVE YOU TOMORROW ATLANTIC U..S. IMPORT VG+ USD $3.68 [4 bids]
Karyn White 45 Secret Rendezvous/Tell Me Tomorrow Warner Bros. Records 1988 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 37m
TOMMY TUCKER + Two Timers r+r vocal 45 BACKTRACK / TOMORROW I'LL BE 20~ VG+ USD $9.12 Buy It Now 2h 40m
MADNESS Tomorrow's Just Another Day 1983 UK magazine ADVERT / mini Poster 11x8" USD $10.83 Buy It Now 2h 43m
JOHN BELAND: Will You Love Me Tomorrow / Sunday Fool 45 (dj, sm tol) Rock USD $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 54m
Tomorrow Carl Hultgren Audio CD USD $31.64 Buy It Now 2h 57m
Paula Abdul Dance Like There's No Tomorrow Test Pressing Promo Remixes 2008 USD $9.99 [1 bids]
Christel Alsos Tomorrow Is cd 12 tracks 2010 excellent condition USD $17.82 Buy It Now 3h 2m
Lookin' At Tomorrow Audio CD USD $19.95 Buy It Now 3h 3m
MANTARAY THE REDS AND THE BLUES CD MINT INDIE ROCK ALWAYS TOMORROW BLACKBURN! USD $2.71 Buy It Now 3h 6m
Condello Crystal Clear / See What Tomorrow Brings Scepter Records Promo 45-12233 USD $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 8m
FAST FREE SHIP, NEW, Sealed: Elvis Presley - Today Tomorrow Forever (4-CD Box) USD $27.95 Buy It Now 3h 8m
City of Tomorrow - Nature Audio CD USD $24.19 Buy It Now 3h 8m
F.12314 Noel Harrison - A Young Girl Of Sixteen / Tomorrow Is My Turn - 1965 USD $8.18 Buy It Now 3h 8m
F 11213 Bryan Johnson - Looking High High High / Each Tomorrow - 1960 USD $8.18 Buy It Now 3h 8m
BILLY FURY The Hit Parade cd 20 tracks 1987 (1982) Decca Maybe Tomorrow USD $4.76 Buy It Now 3h 10m
The Temptations ?- Plastic Man / Hurry Tomorrow Gordy Motown 45 record 1973 USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Catch Tomorrow - Dale Ann Bradley (CD Used Very Good) USD $14.25 Buy It Now 3h 11m
the reactions tomorrow's time today 7" kbd ohio 1985 USD $8.50 Buy It Now 3h 11m
No World For Tomorrow - Coheed & Cambria 886971840223 (CD Used Very Good) USD $11.44 Buy It Now 3h 12m
I'll Be Sweeter Tomorrow (Than I Was Today) - O'Jays (CD Used Very Good) CD-R USD $8.03 Buy It Now 3h 12m
He Can See My Tomorrow Accompaniment CD By Mark Bishop 2015 Daywind NEW USD $8.49 Buy It Now 3h 15m
BRIAN HYLAND - Will You Love Me Tomorrow? - vinyl LP Contour 1969 stereo EX+/EX+ USD $1.36 [0 bids]
Into Tomorrow - New Birth (CD Used Very Good) CD-R USD $10.26 Buy It Now 3h 17m
MOVE: Curly 2:47-This Time Tomorrow 3:42-U.S. 7" 1969 A&M Records 1119 DJ Label USD $34.98 Buy It Now 3h 18m
LYNCH MOB second CD tangled in the web DREAM until tomorrow (former dokken) USD $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 20m
WU-TANG CLAN - A Better Tomorrow 2 x LP - Sealed new copy USD $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 22m
THE CHORDS - Maybe tomorrow / I don't wanna know - MOD - 7'' - 45rpm USD $10.89 [0 bids]
BETH ORTON cd DAYBREAKER thinking abou tomorrow ANYWHERE ben watt astralwerks USD $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 28m
Grover Washington Jr.-All My Tomorrows/Soulful Strut/Breath of Heaven CD NEW USD $16.18 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Morrissey "Tomorrow" 12" single on beautiful translucent purple vinyl, promo! USD $19.95 [1 bids]
Sybil Can't Wait (On Tomorrow) 12" Record Single PROMO NP50081 Piranha USD $1.00 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow Audio CD USD $21.28 Buy It Now 3h 45m
Floyd Cramer Mint Vinyl Promo 45(1964)-Tomorrow's Gone/Shrum USD $12.00 Buy It Now 3h 49m
Tomorrow's Perfect Plan Audio CD USD $33.07 Buy It Now 3h 50m
If Tomorrow Comes, New Music USD $12.60 Buy It Now 3h 50m
QUINCY JONES maxi single TOMORROW 4 track CD a better you me TEVIN CAMPBELL USD $17.99 Buy It Now 3h 51m
Reverend Oris Mays: Tomorrow's Help Today MCA 28073 Gospel Vinyl LP SEALED USD $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
Junior Parker: Sometimes Tomorrow My Broken Heart Will Die BluesWay LP WLP NM USD $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
45 RECORD THE DREAM WEAVERS: YOU'VE GOT ME WONDERING IT'S ALMOST TOMORROW VG+/EX USD $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
All Day Tomorrow Audio CD USD $27.58 Buy It Now 3h 54m
LP tomorrow
TOMORROW
~ USD $13.67
More places to buy TOMORROW music online Buy TOMORROW & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TOMORROW DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TOMORROW Tomorrow ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(4%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(27%)

TOMORROW Tomorrow reviews

Review by hdfisch
3 stars Well, this is quite a nice psychedelic pop-rock album of late sixties, just another one in my huge collection and I'll probably not listen to it once again in the near future just like to the others. Not because it's bad, but there are just too many other records which are fulfilling more my demands to music. Some songs are really in a nice experimental vein like early Floyd, but there are as well some not very much exciting. The cover version of "Strawberry Fields Forever" I'd not call necessarily better than the original (who can be better than The Beatles??), just a bit different. I'm not sure whether this record is an essential one unless one is interested to listen to a very early work of Steve Howe. Apart of this fact I could list a full bunch of bands doing some more or less similar stuff in the 60's like them, as for example Edgar Broughton Band, The Who, Love, The Move, Spirit or H.P. Lovecraft to name just a few. But overall good for 3 stars.
Review by Trotsky
3 stars If these were the Psycharchives, Tomorrow's sole album could have retired happily on the basis of the whopping 5 stars I would have accorded it. For I believe this Steve Howe-inspired nugget to be one of the finest examples of late 60s British psychedelic rock. Unfortunately, I cannot in good conscience recommend it wholeheartedly to all you proggers out there, so I guess a minor history lesson is in order.

The UK psych scene of the late 60s produced many quality works that might well appeal to progressive fans. Some of the bands responsible for these classics include Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Traffic, Procol Harum, Quintessence and Soft Machine who eventually evolved in a more progressive direction and thus are listed in these archives. Other bands like The Zombies (Odessey And Oracle), The Pretty Things (S.F. Sorrow), Spooky Tooth (Spooky Two), The Small Faces (Ogden's Nut Gone Flake), Nirvana (The Story Of Simon Simopath and All Of Us) and indeed The Beatles (Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Magical Mystery Tour) never made that progression. Tomorrow belongs in the latter category. As far as I'm concerned Tomorrow's eponymous album is a stunning psych album that probably only made it on the archives because one of the group's members went on to became progressive rock's greatest guitarist.

The album itself contains some of my favourite moments of psychedelic rock in the form of My White Bicycle (later covered by rockers Nazareth), the sitar-driven Real Life Permanent Dream, the compulsive Revolution, the aching Hallucinations and a stupendous cover of The Byrds' Why (which was actually just a single B-side tagged on this CD as a bonus track). Allied to the Beatlesque pop of Colonel Brown, Shy Boy, The Incredible Journey Of Timothy Chase, Three Jolly Little Dwarfs and a passable cover of Strawberry Fields Forever that doesn't quite compare to the original (how could it?), but still manages to still comfortably alongside the other tracks, Tomorrow is a mesmerizing, seamless example of top-notch psychedelic rock.

Aside from Why and the equally compelling Claramount Lake (incidentally Howe's trademark playing is most apparent on these two cuts), the bonus tracks include (the rhythm section's side project) The Aquarian Age's marvellous 10,000 Words In A Cardboard Box as well as its absolutely atrocious Good Wizzard Meets Naughty Wizzard. There are also four tracks from Tomorrow's lead singer Keith West including Kinks-influenced tracks like On A Saturday and The Kid Was A Killer but regrettably not his hit single Teenage Opera. There's also a bit of a musical whodunnit courtesy of two totally different songs both called Now Your Time Has come!

In a prog-rock context this is hardly essential, but to a psych fan, it's an absolute peach of a discovery just waiting for you. ... 64% on the MPV scale

Review by Matti
1 stars I admit: I only write about Tomorrow for the opportunity to give low rates for change. Maybe this album (made in '67) can be nominated as a classic of British psychedelia and compared to the Floyd debut, and "should" be rated higher than one star - but these are MY ratings! I don't much enjoy Piper at the Gates of Dawn either, but surely more than this. So, how did I come to this album anyway? Plainly for two members: Steve Howe and Keith West. The latter's 'Scenes from a Teenage opera' delighted me long ago and I expected something similar. No. Just typical punkish psychedelia where even Steve Howe plays as if he never learned to play guitar. Some nice harpsichord-like keyboards here and there, but I've heard that so many times (almost in all psychedelia I've tortured myself with - except that I kinda like psychedelic Beatles) that I have no energy to be turned on. No doubt if I had the patience to get into these songs better and see the humour in lyrics I'd give more stars. Musically not a single track won my heart with one quick listening. And why cover 'Strawberry Fields Forever' since Beatles made it perfect already (unless it's for example a smooth jazz cover by Dianne Reeves, or was it Cassandra Wilson). Anyway, if you are a prog-collector and consider this just for Howe's sake, forget it. But if your favourite Pink Floyd album is Piper, you probably like this one too.
Review by Certif1ed
3 stars If you're a rabid fan of Steve Howe, and must own everything he played on, then this is is must-have. Otherwise, it's a fine collection of 1960s psychedelia, that will help your Swingin' Sixties party along - although I would highly recommend albums by The Shocking Blue, Chrysalis and Clear Light above this.

The album itself is basically a collection of unrelated short songs along the lines of "Listen To The Flower People" by Spinal Tap.

However, the version I'm reviewing has bonus tracks, which are far more interesting than the Tomorrow album itself from a Prog perspective - particularly 3 tracks by an offshoot project called "The Aquarian Age" led by John "Twink" Alder - a phenomenal visionary, and participant in many of the most influential bands in the Psychedelic scene, including The Pretty Things, Tomorrow themselves and the Pink Faries (and by implication, Hawkwind).

Otherwise, the album as a whole does not really live up to the experimental promise of the best-known (and opening) track "My White Bicycle". There's a good reason why this was covered in the late 1980s by Nigel Planer, AKA Neil of the BBC TV series "The Young Ones", as it's an archetypical "psychedelic" track, laced with backwards guitar a la "Tomorrow Never Knows", and insane stereo panning guaranteed to have you reaching for the Aspirin.

Nevertheless, although the overall construction is a pop song, it's an interesting curio, and worth obtaining as part of a compilation (there are a fair few 1960s, "old" rock and even prog albums that contain this).

The heavy Beatles influence in "Real Life Permanent Dream" is highly amusing - Tablas and Sitars produce a swrling entry to a song which sounds like it came from half a decade previously. The bass line is notably McCartney in style too - in all, a great example of how progressive the Beatles were, for any doubters. The lyrics seem to be a slight side-swipe at people like Syd Barrett...

One of the buzz words of the swinging sixties was "Revolution", and Tomorrow cram even more psychedelic nonsense in here, with possibly the most expermental track on the album. I use the word "nonsense" fondly here, as although it's clearly gibberish, with the constant references to flower children and such like, this is Steve Howe's major contribution to the album, and the most inventive by several miles. If you can get over the naivety of most of it, it's a highly entertaining piece.

"The Incredible Journey of Timothy Chase" is musically based on "Lovely Rita" and "Hey Joe", with some quite bizarre and often interesting tangential changes and a highly promising guitar solo that is cut off in its prime.

The quintessentially English sound conveyed by "Auntie Mary's Dress Shop" is highly reminiscent of Kaleidoscope, but comes in halfway between some of the quirkier Syd Barrett/Floyd songs and the more humourous Beatles numbers. Kudos to the keyboard player for recreating the sound that the Fab 4 used in "Piggies".

A passable and precise - if inferior cover of "Strawberry Fields" is followed by one of the most horrible songs I've ever heard. Yes, it was fashionable to sing about Gnomes and suchlike, but a few seconds of this is enough to clear an entire roomful of happy party- goers.

Steve Howe fans have one more treat in "Now Your Time Has Come", where Steve attempts to imitate a sitar, and also plays some good stuff with a real hippy flavour.

The album ends with an odd song called "Hallucinations" which is notable in it's blandness - although I may have been disappointed in my expectations of some more psychedelic studio jiggery pokery and some of the other awesome experimental music of the time.

THE BONUS TRACKS:

The first is a boring little song called "Claramount Lake", the next is a heavier version of "Real Life Permanent Dream", then a cover of the Byrd's "Why", which Tomorrow used to open their live sets (note, the sleeve notes credit also confusingly credit this song to the earlier Tomorrow incarnation The In Crowd as well as the Byrds), next a "phased MONO version" of "Revolution", and finally a "Long-lost" recording of "Now Your Time Has Come", which doesn't include the line "Now Your Time Has Come" at all... spooky!

After these bonus Tomorrow tracks are 3 songs that make it worth hunting out this version of the CD for any fan of early progressive music - 3 tracks from a John Alder and John Wood (Twink and Junior) project called "The Aquarian Age";

"10,000 words in a Cardboard Box", which is a fabulous song later re-recorded by Twink and his band on the legendary and frankly amazing album "Think Pink".

"Good Wizzard Meets Naughty Wizzard", suffers from far too many hallucinogens, but nevertheless features some really neat playing.

Better examples of this kind of spoken drama over music are to be found on Kaleidoscope's "Tangerine Dream" and the Small Faces "Ogden's Nut Gone". It's deeply silly, and will raise a laugh in some people on the first listen - but the music is great, and more progressive than any of the Tomorrow music.

Not to be heard under the influence of illegal drugs... although I'm sure you're not the type anyway...

"Me" rounds off this trio of triptastic tranciness with harpsichord driven wierdness remarkably sane lyrics and some quite amazing music.

The bonus tracks go on (and on!) with 4 additional tracks from Keith West which are good, but nothing can really follow The Aquarian Age songs - I'd suggest programming your CD player so that the latter come on last.

In short, the version of the CD I'm reviewing from (with the bonus tracks) is of great interest to Prog Historians and those interested in early progressive music - and great psychedelic music. As a result, the most I can give it is 3 stars.

Review by The Wizard
3 stars Along with Pink Floyd and The Soft Machine, Tommorow were one of the top bands to grace the London underground scene. While Floyd and The Softs liked to expand their compositions live, Tommorow kept them short and sweet. This makes them one of the poppier bands of that scene. This album really isn't prog at all, but it's excellent psychedelic pop. Nonetheless it is pretty trippy, just not very challenging. There is a clear Beatles influence, as well as a clear Syd Barrett influence.

This album is known for two reason (1. Containing future Yes guitar genius Steve Howe and (2. Having the 'hit' single 'My White Bicycle', a classic anthem of the counterculture. you can hear some of the classic trademark Howe guitar moves, but he still is pretty far from where he will be in Yes. An example would be that is jazzy lines found in 'Yours is no Disgrace' appear in this album. I don't really know how much of an influence Howe had on this record, Kieth West seems to be at the front of everything though.

West's vocals are nothing incredible, but they do work for the style. He is very similar to the vocalist for the Pretty Things, and he has a distinct British tone. At least they didn't let Howe sing! The rhythm section is very influenced by The Who, with crashing drums and powerful bass. Twink is a great drummer, and he gets to show his skill on the album. The lyrics are British whimsy, shrouded with a haze of psychedelia.

Much of the experimentation comes from backwards guitar solos, use of sitars and tablas, and crazy effects. This was all common in the era 'Tomorrow' was released, so there's nothing really innovative here. To be honest, the band wasn't really doing anything new or breaking new ground, they were basically just going with the flow. That doesnt make the songs bad or anything, just don't expect any radical experimentation.

Some of the better tracks are 'My White Bicycle', 'Hallucinations' (incredible Steve Howe guitar intro!), 'Real Life Permanent Dream' (great sitar), 'Revolution', 'Claremont Lake', and a nice cover of 'Strawberry Fields Forever'. However, tracks like 'Shy Boy' and ' Auntie Mary's Dress Shop' are an atrocious attempt to take on the British Whimsy of the The Kinks which miserably fail. Otherwise, all the songs range from good to excellent.

Overall, this is well crafted psychedelic pop that doesnt break much ground and with influences clear. With that put aside, this belongs in your collection along with Barrett era Floyd and The Soft Machine. Also check out if your a Steve Howe fan, but be warned that this is has little in common with Yes.

Review by Tom Ozric
3 stars The main reason for this album is naturally for the fact that guitar virtuoso Steve Howe featured on it. Why not include 'Flaming Youth', coz it was Phil Collins' debut recording as drummer/vocalist ?? Maybe because 'Tomorrow' were superior to FY !! The famous (or is he infamous) Twink is the drummer here, he would go on to the phenomenal 'peoples' band, Pink Faeries. This album contains some quite exciting psychedelic tunes, sometimes following in the wake of 'Sgt. Pepper's...' and Howe's contribution provides an embryonic prescence to his unique style of playing. Not much pfaff to be found here, the only tracks that don't click with me are the pompous 'Excerpt from a Teenage Opera' for side 1, and the somewhat 'sugary' 'Three Jolly Little Dwarfs' on side 2. Key tracks are 'My White Bicycle', 'Colonel Brown', 'Revolution', and 'Now Your Time Has Come', which features a long Steve Howe show-case. Not really prog, but its importance and some really great songs are worth 3.5 stars.
Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
3 stars Tomorrow is one band that can legitimately claim the designation of ‘proto-prog’. They were among the early British psych bands who laid the foundation for many progressive bands that followed. The band also launched the career of Steve Howe. And there is more than a little evidence to suggest they influenced even some of their contemporaries, including the Beatles (check out the bonus track “Revolution” on the CD reissue of this album); the Who; and even Syd Barrett (arguably in a negative way), who drummer ‘Twink’ Adler played with briefly after Adler left Tomorrow and Barrett was long gone from Pink Floyd.

Musically Tomorrow’s compositions have been compared to some of Barrett’s work around the same time with Pink Floyd, meaning really that they tended to be short, rather intense in tempo, and generally socio-cultural in theme, although generally in a rather abstract way. Tomorrow’s music was also much more coherent than much of Barrett’s stuff though.

This is definitely a period piece as far as the themes and the compositions. The sound is decidedly 1968, just to the right of full-blown hippy music and a bit left of contemporary popular music of the same period. It compares fairly well to the first couple of Moody Blues albums, as well as the Kinks, Manfred Mann, Rolling Stones, and Soft Machine albums around the same time. But most of those bands hung around for a while and developed their sound, whereas Tomorrow faded into obscurity pretty quickly, with only Steve Howe really making a strong name for himself in the industry after the band’s demise. And maybe Adler as well, who besides appearing with Barrett would go on to log time with the Pink Fairies and Pretty Things.

Most of that 1968 music hasn’t aged particularly well, appealing today mostly to those middle-agers who have fond memories of these songs when they were new. And I doubt if all that many music fans around today can legitimately make that claim about Tomorrow since the band recorded only one album which was not particularly well- received. The band had a couple singles, both of which are on the CD version of this record, and neither of which garnered much attention.

Besides the tracks already mentioned, there are a few other interesting tracks worth noting. The “Strawberry Fields Forever” cover is a very faithful rendition of the Beatles classic, with Howe giving Paul McCartney a real lesson on how psych-pop guitar should be played. “Hallucinations” is too poppish and short to really be a psych tune, but Howe on guitar and Mark Wirtz on keyboards come close.

And the short tempo changes and gibberish vocals on “The Incredible Journey of Timothy Chase” make this one seem like a missing Sgt. Pepper’s tune, while “Auntie Mary's Dress Shop” could almost be considered a Brit prog-folk tune.

This is an interesting album historically, and I can see where the band would have had some appeal in the time it was released. But this is collectors-stuff for the most part, more significant as a curio than as a serious addition to a prog collection. I’m tempted to give it two stars for that reason, but the compositions are pretty tight, Howe is excellent as the new young stud guitarist on the block, and the short ditties do kind of grow on you after a while. So three stars, but fair warning that unless you have an affinity for pre-Woodstock pop-psych you probably should avoid this one.

peace

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars Howe it was yesterday

Tomorrow were an early "supergroup" in reverse, in that the band members went on to find fame and fortune elsewhere. The main interest from a prog perspective is Steve Howe's (YES) involvement in the short lived project. The band evolved from a soul covers band by the name of The In Crowd, intent on writing an playing their own material. They were however also very conscious of their image (Yes, even Steve!), their audience being present as much for what they saw as what they heard.

The music is based in the psychedelic era of the late 1960's, and is best described now using words such as dated and primitive. It is not as dynamic or as exciting as Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd, not as commercial as the Bee Gees, and the songs do not have the strength of the Beatles. These though are among the main influences upon Tomorrow, they even cover "Strawberry Fields forever" here.

The opening track "My white bicycle" was a minor hit for the band, and later successfully covered by Narazeth. It is a catchy piece of psych pop, but hardly ground breaking. The rest of the tracks are charming but rather forgettable, descending to a low on the "Laughing gnome" like "Three jolly little dwarfs". "Now your time has come" is the only song with any semblance of complexity, the track featuring the first hints of Howe's distinctive guitar sound in a reasonably long guitar break.

If we are honest, the sole interest here is Howe's involvement. Do not however expect to hear much virtuoso guitar work, Howe is kept very much in check, providing electric rhythm guitar only. Keith West, the vocalist with the band, would enjoy solo commercial success while the band were still an operating unit with his "Excerpt form a teenage opera", and this would lead to the early demise of Tomorrow after just one album.

In all, an inoffensive pop album from the late 1960's, which may be of interest to those looking to find Steve Howe's earliest work. By no means essential though.

Review by stefro
4 stars One of the leading, and most important, of the British outfits from the brief, late-sixties psychedelic boom, Tomorrow featured a fairly iconic line-up of soon-to-be famous musicians, future Yes guitarist-and-stalwart Steve Howe chief among them. Accompanied by oddball drummer Twink(real name John Adler), popular vocalist Keith West(him of 'Teenage Opera' fame), keyboardist Mark Wirtz and bassist John Wood, Tomorrow were a talented outfit who straddled the (then) increasingly blurred line between straight-ahead pop and multicoloured psychedelia, offering up such catchy nuggets as album-opener 'My White Bicycle', the jocular 'Colonel Brown' and the deceptively-complex 'Real Life Permanent Dream'(as well as an excellent, rocked-up version of The Beatles seminal 'Strawberry Fields'), tracks that laid the blueprint for much of the psychedelic rock-and-pop appearing across Britain in the aftermath of this album's 1968 release. Of course, when compared with the emerging progressive acts - the likes of Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Yes & Genesis as well as fellow psych-purveyors Pink Floyd - the five-pieces kitsch music seems less impressive. However, after several listens, 'Tomorrow' reveals a genuine instrumental clarity, hence the lofty reputation the album affords. And remember: without groups like Tomorrow we wouldn't have prog-rock, as it was bands like they(amongst others) who took the limited three-minute pop-format and(obviously influenced in part by their art school backgrounds) expanded it with the reckless glee of youth that colours so much era-defining pop music. Full of good moments then, this is first rate British psychedelia. STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

2 stars This album is of course psychedelic pop and has nothing to do with prog and I have no problem with that as such. However even with all the well known people involved in making this album, it's thoroughly mediocre psychedelia and totally unexceptional and with all the utterly mindblowing psyche ... (read more)

Report this review (#62501) | Posted by | Saturday, December 31, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TOMORROW "Tomorrow"