KINGSTON WALL I

Good, but non-essential

Buy KINGSTON WALL Music
Studio Album, released in 1992

1. With My Mind (4:39)
2. Used to Feel Before (4:02)
3. I'm Not the One (3:43)
4. Fire (2:58)
5. Waste of Time (6:26)
6. Nepal (8:37)
7. And I Hear You Call (4:55)
8. Tanya (3:51)
13. V Circumstances - 2:18
14. VI Captain Relief - 2:15
15. VII More Mushrooms - 2:07
16. VIII The Answer - 1:16

Bonus cd (Zen Garden 1998 remastered)

1. Freak-Out Intro (2:13)
2. Purple Haze (3:43)
3. Call Me The Breeze (4:23)
4. Rocky Raccoon (3:44)
5. Western Plain (1:10)
6. Freak-Out Outro (3:54)

Search KINGSTON WALL Kingston Wall I lyrics

Search KINGSTON WALL Kingston Wall I tabs

- Petri Walli / guitar, vocals
- Jukka Jylli / bass, backing vocals, egyptian horn
- Sami Kuoppamäki / drums

Guest musicians:
- Pide Von Hertzen / percussion, backing vocals
- Sakari Kukko / saxophone on track 6

CD Trinity TTYCD 0002 - Finland 1992 / CD Zero-XRCN-1084-Jap-1994 / CD Zen Garden-GAR 16-Fin-1998 (remastered)

and to alessa for the last updates

KINGSTON WALL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KINGSTON WALL Kingston Wall I Music

III Tri-LogyIII Tri-Logy
IIII
Audio CD$70.00 (used)
II
Freak Out RemixesFreak Out Remixes
Gar

More places to buy KINGSTON WALL music online Buy KINGSTON WALL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KINGSTON WALL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KINGSTON WALL Kingston Wall I ratings distribution

KINGSTON WALL Kingston Wall I reviews

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
3 stars This debut album of legendary Kingston Wall brought attention for both progressive and psychedelic music in Finnish media, as the band was quite successful and popular here. Though the main drive is on quite basic vintage hard rock orientation, the referred more underground tones are also certainly present, thus giving a pleasant surprise for band of such characteristics gaining fame in a land dominated by playlists and pop. Gigs on big rock festivals are possibly one promoting factor, but the fine quality of songs like "With My Mind", "Used to Feel Before" and "Waste of Time" redeem the expectations even without promotions with psych oriented guitar solos and catchy verses. "Nepal" dives further to surreal spheres reaching over eight minutes duration, its main rock passage rising from an Indian-oriented walls of sound, and then diving to waves of laid back parts with Hawkind reminding tones coloring the background.

I'm bit troubled by the cover version of Jimi Hendrix's "Fire", I guess the original version from The Experience is bit too sacred for me. This version is still quite good, being very similar to the original song, except that there is a small reggae arrangement at the end of it, which works well. The band also played this on their gigs along with the other tunes of the innovating guitar master. The biggest entity on the disc is "Mushrooms", which is over 21 min long epic. This fungus composition is built up from separate tracks, so the listener could navigate the different parts easily. There are some tighter rockier parts with singing, and long psychedelic instrumental jams. The beginning is promising, but I got bit bored during the fourth and fifth parts.

The Zen Garden re-issue of this album has a small bonus CD on it, which has a live recording from their gig at Marathon, Helsinki 1991. The sound quality is decent, but the singing isn't very audible. I also fear there are some edits (in and out fades) in it; For example the shift from the ethnic sound wall of "Freak-Out Intro" and the following Hendrix cover "Purple Haze" sounds unnatural. Other covers here are J.J.Cale's "Call Me The Breeze", Lennon/McCartney composition "Rocky Raccoon" and "Western Plain. To be frank, I felt these sounded quite repulsive redneck songs, and the good players didn't save them. Possibly the experience of these performings might have felt different from the audience, these expressions limited now only to their documents heard from the home stereo. And it is of course interesting to hear this band's live performances, as in my opinion they did their stuff more successfully on stage than at the studio. But I wouldn't recommend hunting the re-issue CDs just because of these bonus tracks.

I think there is much potential on this album, and I do not object it's meaning as an historical record for Finnish music scene. But to be honest, this album never grew very important for myself, and I never got much inspiration for listening to it. Most of the fine songs on this album worked better on their triple live CD in my opinion.

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#33111) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 01, 2005

Review by Finnforest
2 stars The adventure begins.

Sinkadotentree, one of my many prog gurus at this site, turned me on to KW's buzz a while back, wisely guiding me towards the excellent 2nd album first. Now I think I know why. The first KW album is an exercise in patience, often boring, long-winded, sometimes like nails-on-a-chalkboard frustration to this listener.

First up, the difference in the songwriting quality between KW1 and KW2 is striking. Whereas 2 had some elegant, haunting, perfectly crafted pieces of jamming bliss, KW1 lacks maturity and quite often any discernible focus. To make a comparison to Red Hot Chili Peppers, a band not so far from the KW universe: If KW2 is spiritually comparable to Blood Sugar Sex Magic, then KW1 would probably be The Uplift Mofo Party Plan. I'm not saying I mind craziness, youthful exuberance, or even all out musical debauchery.hell, I love it.if it works. On Kingston Wall-1 it doesn't work for the most part. There are flashes of the juicy steak that will follow on the next album but expect to have your endurance tested to find them. My favorite part of this album is listening to the gonzo-ass skins beating of Sami Kuoppamaki, one of thee finest jam-band drummers you will ever hear. But the songs aren't there and frankly it is Petri who has not caught up with Sami and Jukka at this point. "With My Mind" starts the album in hangover mode as the band sounds a bit lethargic and bleak. Even bassist Jukka complains about lame cover of Hendrix's Fire. Petri was sadly wasting no time dropping the lyrical hints this early of the state of his mind, which would eventually cost him his life. Here he sings "I've got this bad taste in my mouth and in my soul.some kind of tribulation strangles my mind.it makes me wonder do I have much more time." By the time we get to "Waste of Time" and "Nepal" the band has woken up and peaked. Expect some breathtaking fills from Sami and occasional flashes of soul from Petri, but if you compare the best moments here side by side with the next album I think you'll see my point. And that leads us to the 21 minute 8-part super epic "Mushrooms." Close to the Edge it is not. If you can make it through part 7 "More Mushrooms" and get to part 8 "The Answer" you will enjoy one of the album's finer moments, a heavy yet peaceful climax before the fade-out again hinting at better things to come.

I strongly, I repeat, strongly suggest you begin your Kingston Wall adventure with their 2nd album. Depending on the degree of your appreciation for that one, you will know if you need to backtrack to their garage days for KW1, proceed to the "Maharishi moment" of their final album, or stop altogether. Two stars isn't meant as disrespect for the late Mr. Walli, but as my sincere feeling that despite good moments this is not a good album and that it is mostly "for the fans." 2 1/2 stars.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#165520) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Back in the early 90's it was hard to keep track of all the bands that tried to find rock stardom by following in Jane's Addiction's footsteps. That band had paved the way towards a renewed interest in 70's heavy psych progressive jamming and they inspired many bands to rock out again and fire up the old psych vibe with flashy funky playing and heavy bouncing rock beats.

While pleasant, Kingston Wall's debut lacks the songwriting necessary to make things memorable. In fact, the adoration of Led Zeppelin is so high that they almost sound like a tribute band, not dissimilar from those German heavy rockers of Kingdome Come, be it with a more psychedelic edge.

And when that psychedelic elements take the fore, we're facing quite an enjoyable band that welcomes more influences then just Led Zeppelin. Standout tracks would be Waste of Time, Nepal and I Hear You Call, which was my introduction to the band back in 92. Also Tanya maintains the Eastern-tinged mood nicely, but then the overambitious Mushroom destroys the momentum of the album.

A worthy debut but with too few outstanding moments to keep my interest going. In fact, before SinkaMellotronDotenStormTree reminded me about this band's second album, I hadn't listened to this since 93.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#298163) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 09, 2010

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
2 stars This band cannot be ignored when dealing with the history of Finnish prog, as they were very popular and also some kind of pioneers in the early nineties, after the entire extremely anti- prog decade (if you thought prog was a rude word in Britain in the 80's, you should have seen what was it like in Finland!). After releasing a trilogy of albums the band came to a tragic end as their leader Petri Walli committed suicide by jumping down from a church tower (BTW, his biography was released this spring, only in Finnish, of course).

Anyway, this debut is quite single-mindedly considered as their least important album by prog listeners. There's an unquestionable psychedelic vibe especially in the 8-part suite 'Mushrooms', but this music is primarily HARD rock with a breathtaking drive and virtuotic intensity. KW were a power trio of guitarist-vocalist Walli, bassist Jukka Jylli and drummer Sami Kuoppamäki. The guitar style is fierce, descending from Jimi Hendrix and heavy rock legends and soaked in trippy psychedelia, and the rhythm section is equally sharp and powerful.

The world of hard rock - especially the Finnish one - has never been close to me. So it's no surprise that I am left mostly untouched by this album. But I really can't deny the extreme power in it. Approximately after the four earliest tracks, which are fast and rather similar to each other ('Fire' being a Hendrix cover), the psychedelic flavour starts to affect the listener. Nearly 9- minute 'Nepal' is effective, clearly one of the highlights. 'And I Hear You Call' has some Oriental (Turkish/Arabian) kind of melodies at first, like occasionally throughout the album, but hardly as much as the cover art would suggest.

It's the 21-minute 'Mushrooms' suite that crowns this hour-long album. What is perhaps lost in the adrenalin power, is gained in the depth of a proggier, epic-like songwriting. But don't expect too much of it, in fact here and there it feels a bit lost and pointlessly stretched. Speaking of the whole album, if this site was about hard rock instead of prog rock, I might give one star more.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#1180755) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 30, 2014

4 stars As the cover art expresses the Eastern influence is very strong on this album (and other Kingston Wall albums as well). The music can be categorized as psychedelic progressive rock and has influences from Zeppelin, Hawkwind, Hendrix, and some Pink Floyd can be heard as well. Still I think the ... (read more)

Report this review (#651500) | Posted by PolarWolf | Friday, March 09, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars KW's debut album is their most accessible one. It is very easy to get into and understand, not to take anything away from the music itself. Here the Led Zeppelin/Jimi Hendrix influences are most visible (especially since there is a cover of 'Fire' included) but the playing stays progressive thro ... (read more)

Report this review (#133631) | Posted by Jimsey | Saturday, August 18, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Now, Kingston wall deput. I must say that i really dig this stuff. It just Grooves so Well!! Well ok number 8. track Tanya is little bit slow and depressive. But that brings nicely some caracter. This album is kind of that I found myself listening to it very intensively at time to time. And th ... (read more)

Report this review (#106523) | Posted by Siddhartha | Monday, January 08, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Kinston Wall's debut is one of the finest debuts I've heard. It contains wonderful material and a little weaker material. With the best songs "With My Mind", "Waste Of Time", "Fire", "Nepal", and some parts of the epic "Mushrooms"; you can't go wrong. The rest of the songs are bit acquired tas ... (read more)

Report this review (#90244) | Posted by Ounamahl | Tuesday, September 19, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This is a good debut and shows lots of Petri Walli's potential. There are interesting songs here, like Waste of Time and Nepal. But not all the songs are that great. Anyway this is an album worth buying. 3,5 stars. ... (read more)

Report this review (#66654) | Posted by | Wednesday, January 25, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KINGSTON WALL "Kingston Wall I"