KINGSTON WALL II

Buy KINGSTON WALL Music
Studio Album, released in 1993

1. We Cannot Move (4:39)
2. Istwan (4:02)
3. Could It Be So? (5:52)
4. And It's All Happening (6:07)
5. Love Tonight (6:40)
6. Two Of a Kind (6:23)
7. I Feel Love (6:39)
8. Shine On Me (7:05)
9. You (10:11)
10. Palékastro (4:54)

Bonus cd (Zen Garden 1998 remastered)

1. Between The Trees (3:36)
2. She's So Fine (3:34)
3. Can't Get Thru' (11:15)

Search KINGSTON WALL Kingston Wall II lyrics

Search KINGSTON WALL Kingston Wall II tabs

- Petri Walli / guitar, vocals
- Jukka Jylli / bass, backing vocals
- Sami Kuoppamäki / drums

Guest musicians:
- Sakari Kukko / saxophone on track 8
- UFO / violin on track 2

CD Trinity-TTYCD 0004-Fin-1993 / CD Zero-XRCN-1067-Jap-1995 / CD Zen Garden-GAR 17-Fin-1998 (Remastered)

KINGSTON WALL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KINGSTON WALL Kingston Wall II Music

III Tri-LogyIII Tri-Logy
II
IIII
Audio CD$54.89 (used)
Freak Out RemixesFreak Out Remixes
Gar

More places to buy KINGSTON WALL music online Buy KINGSTON WALL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KINGSTON WALL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KINGSTON WALL Kingston Wall II ratings distribution

KINGSTON WALL Kingston Wall II reviews

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
3 stars This I believe is the most appreciated of the three studio albums by this band. "We Cannot Move" opens the record with marching rhythms and oriental chants, the composition having good melodies and verses. This tune sums up quite well their musical style in my opinion: Hard rock with Arabic oriented melodies. "Istwan" has euphoric melody flow, and I believe this track is also presented as an audio stream sample on this site. A good constructed composition, like many other of the bands songs, so though this is clearly psychedelic music, improvisation was more present on their concerts than on their studio recordings. This track leads directly to "Could It Be So?", being a dreamy hazy song with fine solos and melodic. Interesting sound layers make room for "And It's All Happening", a slow and melancholic instrumental tune, holding a wonderful guitar solo in it. This tune turns nicely as "Love Tonight", first driven by bongos and acoustic guitar, which turn to crunchy fuzz guitar. Again a good, thoughtful composition served rarely from a psychedelic dish. These four songs make a wonderful one piece of music, only it's sad that the entity fades out with a bit less imaginative manner. "Two of A Kind" starts with acoustic guitars, which introduce a peculiar rhythm driving this song, having also long passages for guitar solos. This also fades behind some programmed loops and Petri's whisperings, not a very pleasant solution to my ears. "I Feel Love" is then a quite primitive song, relying on a straight basic beat. "Shine On Me" has a fine guitar intro sounding very much like Jimi Hendrix, and there's also a tasty sax from a guest musician, who'll contribute also on their following album. The tune is quite simple, and there's lots of space for instrumental solos. Following "You" is the longest of all tracks reaching ten minutes, and it begins with some Spanish sounding notes from an acoustic guitar and bongos. Soon electric guitar jumps on another key, and the composition progresses to a slow blues after some tasty maneuvers. Some very fine acoustic licks are to be heard here, also the jamming evolves to a very pleasant jazzy chaos. "Palékastro" concludes the album with a firm and tight grasp, being a fast instrumental rocker with interesting rhythm arrangements, and a very uninteresting fade out.

I had a chance to hear the 1998 re-mastered CD version of this album, and it has a mini bonus CD with three bonus tracks. The first two tracks are from a single "We Cannot Move". "Between The Trees" is a quite basic hard rock track without many psychedelic or progressive elements, still being a catchy tune. "She's So Fine" is another Hendrix cover, actually being Noel Redding's composition. Nothing special in my opinion, but good 1960's oriented pop rock song however. Over eleven minutes long "Can't Get Thru'" is a live recording done same year as the album was released. The sound quality isn't very good, but the performance is great, being a very fast wahwah-pedal dominated song with lots of room for jamming. I believe that the song is actually a medley, as later the song has sequences that I'm sure I have heard on other albums of this band. Also sadly another extremely irritating fadeout ends this concert recording. Unless you are a very diehard fan of this band, I wouldn't spend much money on upgrading from an older original CD pressing to this version.

I would also like to mention that bassist Jukka Jylli really shines on this record; There are lots of small spaces left for him to fill in the compositions, and he really uses these opportunities in a fine manner. This is a very good record, but still it hasn't grown as an exceptional album in my own listening catalogues. There are anyway very great moments on it, so give this a listen if you can.

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#33115) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 01, 2005

5 stars I love this band ! This one isn't as spacey and psychedelic as the next one "Tri-logy" as that one had synths on it and this one doesn't. But man, talk about guitar driven rock with a psychedelic edge ! The production is great too as you can hear the fantastic bass playing clearly throughout this record. As a matter of fact this three piece band are just amazing players period.

"We Cannot Move" is a melodic song with some beautiful guitar melodies throughout. "Istwan" is an instrumental that reminds me of LED ZEPPELIN at times, and features some guest violin playing and some tasteful guitar melodies.This blends into the next song "Could It Be So ?", again the guitar playing of Petri is the best part of the song. This has a real a pychedelic feel to it. "And It's All Happening" is an instrumental and one of my favourite songs on the album. Everything is slowed right down and is atmospheric. The guitar playing is so beautiful, he had such a gift. The melody picks up before 3 minutes. "Love Tonight" opens with percussion and vocals and we get a full sound 2 minutes in.The sound is heavy and we are treated to some great solos after 4 minutes. The rest of the song is simply awesome !

"Two Of A Kind" is another killer track. It gets better as it goes with some blistering guitar half way through."I Feel Love" features bass and drums that create an uptempo rhythm as vocals soar overtop.This is like a dance song played by a hard rock band ! A real hypnotic beat to this one. "Shine On Me" has a bluesy feel to it at times although the bass playing reminded me of RUSH. There is some atmospheric guitar and some nice sax melodies in this slow but powerful tune. The guitar is too beautiful for words ! "You" is the longest track and another favourite.Tempo shifts, vocal melodies and some amazing bass playing in this one. The melody around 6 minutes in rocks and is the best part of the album for me. "Palekastro" is an instrumental that hits you in the face right away with a heavy blow.The guitar playing is mind boggling man and the drumming is world class!

Well I may have felt that "Tri-logy" was not quite a masterpiece, but this one definetly is a masterpiece of progressive music !

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#109408) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 29, 2007

Review by Finnforest
4 stars Hey Phish and Moe fans! Now THIS is my idea of a jam band!

Another tip of the cap to Sinkadotentree for leading this horse to water (And I drank this time!) The legend that is guitarist Petri Walli doesn't take much effort to appreciate.

Sometimes it's just hard to find the adjectives to do something justice. Kingston is pure fiery rock and roll joy, a burning power trio that is a little bit Dungen, a little Dazed and Confused, a little Hendrix, a little jam band, a little Frusciante, a little pysch flavored magic mushroom music. Or maybe just real rock and roll played with spiritual intensity.

There's no point in a track by track. With the exception of 1 or 2 fairly conventional rock songs (which are still good) every other song is pure jam-rock nirvana. Blissful, soaring, epic lead guitar playing by a true master of the instrument, solid bass that you can actually hear, and monster drum playing. Lather-rinse-repeat. Occasionally some nice acoustic, violin, or sax add icing to the cake. Exceptionally intuitive playing will leave you breathless. Especially "Shine On Me" and "You" which actually make me feel young again if you catch my drift. How many songs do that to you? "Shine On Me" literally makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, especially when Walli sings "see my future see a dead man." Terribly haunting stuff that stands up with the great epic rock songs. The drumming on here is also unbelievably good, Sami just rolls and pummels with killer instincts.

Petri's singing voice is somewhat limited but this album isn't about the vocals. I'll make this as simple as possible. If you are a fan of Zeppelin, Hendrix, Dungen, Cream, Rush, or any combination thereof, you need to hear Kingston Wall 2. You need to hear it soon. Sadly, Petri took his own life at a young age denying the world of a truly special, gifted songwriter and guitarist. A damn shame. But this is not mopey, depressing music. This music is alive with passion!

A solid 4 stars for me although I completely understand those who gave it 5. I was very close. Essential for guitar rock fans and a clear candidate for one of the top albums of the 90s.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#130866) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 30, 2007

Review by Warthur
3 stars Sometimes a band comes along which gets lavished with praise but, when you come along to see what all the fuss is about, they just plain fail to win you over. That's how Kingston Wall are for me. I guess they're good at lifting motifs and techniques from Pink Floyd and the Ozric Tentacles, but what results are bland Ozrics-esques jams littered with Floydisms learned by rote. I guess if you are hopelessly addicted to Floyd-derived space rock this could tickle that itch, but for me there's simply nothing exciting to write home about here. Not incompetent, but hardly essential either, I'd say this deserves two and a half stars (tack on a half star if you're a Floyd fan).

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#998655) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 15, 2013

5 stars As their debut album already proved, Kingston Wall was at their best in long songs full of jamming. And their second album is full of those. The exceptionally good guitar- (Petri Walli) and drumwork (Sami Kuoppamäki) are the reasons why this album takes you to the higher grounds. The album st ... (read more)

Report this review (#651548) | Posted by PolarWolf | Friday, March 09, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars My second review and Kingston Walls second album. Kingston Wall is my favorit band from my home country. This album is often considered to be their best and I agree with the common opinion in this case - athough their last album ain´t really worse than this. This album is filled with great musi ... (read more)

Report this review (#268084) | Posted by I Love Internet | Thursday, February 25, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Exeptional record I must say. And like the first one this just grooves so well. But this one is more composory as the first was more rocking. And to be honest this album is time to time little bit dull to me. I find myself skipping some songs and just tasting the cherrys from the top. Still i ... (read more)

Report this review (#106556) | Posted by Siddhartha | Monday, January 08, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Kingston Wall is a Finnish band formed in 1987. They sound a lot like a hard rock band, but they have a lot of prog elements that make it a progressive rock band. "Kingston Wall II" is surprise surprise their second album. It is the most appreciated album amongst fans. It is clearly influenced ... (read more)

Report this review (#98545) | Posted by Dalezilla | Monday, November 13, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Flaws: Too long, just because I want to listen albums straight through, and I hardly find time for 76 minutes these days. And yes, Petri Walli is an aquired taste singer. Aaaaand everything else is uphill. I have to say that there are not really any weak song, but "Love Tonight" should have bee ... (read more)

Report this review (#90234) | Posted by Ounamahl | Tuesday, September 19, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars You're right adigitaldan, it wasn't easy to find at all! Yet i found it online at a decent price (13 ? if i'm not mistaking). I've heard the first CD of Kingston Wall and this one is better. It's less "hard" i gues, and if it's still a bit to hard, the moods often change during the album. Fir ... (read more)

Report this review (#82052) | Posted by Nico2009 | Monday, June 26, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I was trying to think of how to describe Kingston Wall and how it isn't an task. Their sound is both unique and yet very familiar. It sounds like a lot of recordings in my classic rock collection. But at the same time, it has a sound that is unique and really stands out from the rest of wha ... (read more)

Report this review (#76925) | Posted by adigitaldan | Tuesday, May 02, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Kingston Wall I & III have their good moments, but Kingston Wall II is clearly the best album of this great Finnish band. In this album all Walli's songs are just perfect. There are no weak songs in this album. Shine on me is one of the greatest highlights (especially because of Sakari Kukko's s ... (read more)

Report this review (#66651) | Posted by | Wednesday, January 25, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Let's see. Kingston wall.....seems to be a stripped down, bare necessities OZRIC TENTACLES but without Ed Wynne's heavy metal influence instead influenced deep in the psychedelic rock in the vein of PINK FLOYD or perhaps HAWKWIND. Walli's guitar covers a wide spectrum from both electric and aco ... (read more)

Report this review (#42538) | Posted by soccerbum | Thursday, August 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album is something magical, brilliant, unique, perfect. You can't find this kind of music from anywhere (except Kingston Wall's other albums). Petri Walli (1969 - 1995) is one of the biggest music-geniuses ever with no question and a unbelieveable good guitarist. Songs are perfect and ah ... (read more)

Report this review (#33114) | Posted by | Sunday, January 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KINGSTON WALL "Kingston Wall II"