LOGOS... LIVE AT THE DOMINION - LONDON

Buy TANGERINE DREAM Music
Live, released in 1983

1. Logos (45:06)
2. Dominion (5:44)

On the original LP, "Logos" was split into two parts of course:

Part 1: 25'38"
Part 2: 19'29"

Search TANGERINE DREAM Logos... Live At The Dominion - London lyrics

Search TANGERINE DREAM Logos... Live At The Dominion - London tabs

- Edgar Froese / keyboards
- Chris Franke / keyboards
- Johannes Schmoelling / keyboards

LP Virgin V 2292

and to zowieziggy for the last updates

TANGERINE DREAM MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TANGERINE DREAM Logos... Live At The Dominion - London Music

Logos- Live At the Dominion - London '82Logos- Live At the Dominion - London '82
Virgin Records
Vinyl$6.95 (used)
LP alpha centauri ~ USD $16.01
LP atem ~ USD $16.01
CD electronic meditation ~ USD $15.01
LP electronic meditation (record store day 2012 exclusive - limited) ~ USD $16.01
CD sorcerer o/s/t ~ USD $15.07

More places to buy TANGERINE DREAM music online Buy TANGERINE DREAM & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TANGERINE DREAM DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TANGERINE DREAM Logos... Live At The Dominion - London ratings distribution

TANGERINE DREAM Logos... Live At The Dominion - London reviews

Review by greenback
5 stars This is my favorite album from Tangerine Dream. Definitely electronic New Age oriented, it contains omnipresent melodic percussive sequencers. You have to completely listen to it to understand the real progression involved. Sometimes mysterious and dramatic, sometimes tenderly melodic, just very slightly sentimental, absolutely varied, the 2 epic tracks will obviously make you dream. Some powerful rythmic sections of keyboards are really intense and addictive: it is very representative of the Schmoelling-era. The multi-layer synths offer pleasant combination of beat, melody and rythms. The involved style is somewhere between the albums White Eagle, Exit and Tangram. The album was recorded live, but it doesn't sound like.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#34486) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 12, 2005

Review by richardh
3 stars Good live album but not as good as the mighty Poland album that was released a few years later.This is a bit uneven and has a feeling of treading water at times.There is also less colour in the synths than you would expect form Tangerine Dream.Nice melodies though and certainly a listenable effort (but check out Poland first if you want a TD live album)

Send comments to richardh (BETA) | Report this review (#34488) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 28, 2005

Review by Jim Garten
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Retired Admin & Razor Guru
3 stars It is often the case with a band you're unsure of to begin your exploration with a live album; this was the case many years ago with Tangerine Dream and I - the album I chose? Logos.

From the initial electronic meltdown which announces the beginning of 'Logos' itself, to the finale 45 minutes later, I was hooked; Messrs Froese, Franke & Schmoelling don't put a foot wrong - every sequence, every crescendo, every pop and bleep in it's place, and all recorded with crystal clarity (which is not always the case with TD live albums,as a cursory listen to 'Encore' will prove).

The music itself moves between lush soundscapes, almost poppy beats, and very dark, brooding, almost scary passages(Logos was, in fact, used very effectively as the soundtrack for cult horror movie 'The Keep').

My problem with this album, after hearing many others from TD, is this is almost too clinical - overall the atmosphere of the album is very cold - despite the enthusiastic audience - almost Tangerine Dream by numbers; this is not a bad album, far from it, but for live albums, I would start with Ricochet, Encore (poor sound quality but musically superior), or Poland.

Send comments to Jim Garten (BETA) | Report this review (#37991) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Review by Guillermo
2 stars This is only one of two albums from this band that I have listened to. The other was "Cyclone". I think that this album is a bit better than "Cyclone" for my taste, but without making me have more interest in their music. This album has good keyboard atmospheres, very "New Age" in style (was the term "New Age" in usage in 1982? I don`t know). I think that it is a very original idea to record live albums with only new songs, or improvisations, but in my case when I buy a new album or go to see bands in concert I really expect to hear my favourite songs played live by those bands. I think that TANGERINE DREAM is for the kind of fans who "expect the unexpected" and like Experimental or Improvised music very much. Sorry, but this is not the case for me.

Some years ago I watched on TV a concert form this band filmed in this decade, I think. The impression that this concert left me was that this band is only "for their Fans", which like bands with the tag of the "New Age" image and lifestyle. So, this album is "For their Fans only", in my opinion.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#159827) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 26, 2008

Review by russellk
3 stars There's plenty of appeal in this live outing for TANGERINE DREAM. However, whether a fourth live album in seven years is justified is a moot point, especially considering a double live album was to come a mere two years later.

'Logos' is in style a combination of the extended multi-sectioned track form premiered on 'Force Majeure' and the one-part-per-side composition such as 'Rubycon' and 'Ricochet', but is more a child of the early 80s than any of these. Particularly distinctive (and disturbingly poor) is the embarrassingly basic drum track, a huge step backwards from having a real drummer. (An example is the sterile rhythm section at 39 minutes.) As with much TANGERINE DREAM material, little stands out on first listening - bar, in this case, 'Logos Velvet', a memorable tune from 7-12 minutes in. However, repeated listenings alert one to the subtleties of this composition. Much of Part One is quite junglist in sound, a nod to world music TD carried on into subsequent albums such as 'Hyperborea'. That said, I don't believe there's anywhere near enough here to sustain what is a continuous 45-minute composition.

As usual, the music is a combination of passages where the sequencer dominates, and others filled with swirling white noise and synths punctuated with sound effects. Sadly there's no guitar here. While worthy enough, 'Logos' has neither the energy of 'Ricochet' nor the diversity of 'Encore'. I, for one, feel this album was unnecessary and could have, with a bit of work, made part of an interesting studio album.

Send comments to russellk (BETA) | Report this review (#168541) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 24, 2008

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars The galactic splendour of "Ricochet" or "Encore" is not quite present on this live album. Of course, several years have passed and we are now well into the eighties.

This album is still good of course, but I'm missing the absolute beauty of some of its predecessors (live or studio works).

The long "Logos" is somewhat repetitive and lacks of passion. It sounds dehumanized to my ears even if fine moments are plenty. The second part of the vinyl is more mysterious, more profound, more atmospheric and spacey (at least during the first five minutes). In one word: more TD from the mid seventies. And I like it better to be honest. OK, I'm an old freak. So?

More beats are to be listened further on, but the ambient mood is rather pleasant. TD doesn't offer a masterpiece, but this live recording from London is quite satisfactory for the fans. Being old or young ones: both will find interesting aspects and even some moments of delight .

As usual, the closing section of this very long track (over 45 minutes) is pure beauty. A symphonic harmony that only TD can offer. Still, the global feel is more like a good work than more. The commercial "Dominion" being somewhat inappropriate.

Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#223861) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 29, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars The first half of the 80's still saw some decent Tangerine Dream releases, but an unprepared purchase might get you trapped into particularly sticky cheese pits. I'd say Logos Live isn£t your best bet. It won't add anything essential but as far as their more mellow and commercial work goes, they sound in fine form here.

The track list reads as if this album contains 2 long suites but that is deceiving. Both part 1 & 2 consist of short pieces that are strung together. The album has a bit of everything: poppy melodies, brooding ambient pieces, sonic experiments, scary guitars and some entrancing sequences. Especially part 1 is rather satisfying.

Part 2 is less inspired, it's still pleasant for some of its experimental tendencies, yet somehow it fails to get off the ground. It's also inconsistent, with poppy melodies that come in around minute 11 and that don't blend in with the rest very well. The closing track Dominion is what I mean with a particularly smelly cheese pit... Bad pop melodies on a particularly lame drum track.

It's a nice album but with too many weaknesses to climb to 3 stars.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#256271) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Review by zravkapt
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
4 stars Possibly the greatest thing Tangerine Dream did in the 1980s. This live album is no match for Ricochet or Encore, but unlike those albums this does not sound like it was spiced up in the studio later. At this point in their career they were working almost exclusively with digital synthesizers and drum machines. There are no analog keyboards or guitars here, although the synths can sometimes sound almost like a guitar. A lot of the music here was based on their work for the soundtrack to the Michael Mann film The Keep. Lots and lots of great melodies on this set, most likely due to the influence of newest member Johannes Schmoelling.

The 45 minute title track was originally split into two parts; I will review it as such. Part 1 begins with the trio being introduced for the London audience. Some (at the time) futuristic sounding spaciness starts the piece. A drum machine groove leads to some quasi-soloing on keys. Later the drum machine dies out and the music gets both ambient and cinematic. As another drum machine pattern begins we get to hear one of the best things TD ever did...absolutely fantastic melodies that will get stuck in your head forever. The melodies and the tones used to play them are just perfect. Once this part ends you can hear the roar of applause from the audience.

After that the music gets spacey again, almost sounds like a horror movie soundtrack for awhile. The next part I have read is based on Music For 18 Musicians by minimalist composer Steve Reich. Since I am not very familiar with the work of Reich, I can neither confirm nor deny this. Some military style drum machine programming gets joined by some ethereal synthetic voices and hip-hop DJ scratching. More sounds get added and it becomes very "80s" sounding. After 20 minutes some more great melodies start as the miltary style beat is lowered in volume. Tempo increases towards the end of Part 1.

Part 2 is not as consistently good as Part 1 but still has it's moments. It starts out very icy and mechanical sounding. I like the fake bird sounds after a few minutes. Shortly after that the music changes to some kind of baroque synth-pop. Gradually it gets more aggressive and darker sounding before going back. Halfway starts a very '80s sounding drum machine pattern. Then it goes into some catchy synth-pop territory. The last few minutes sound similar to the title track of Hyperborea. it sounds like music to accompany the credits at the end of a movie.

There's one more song at the end, a very early 80s danceable synth-pop ditty called "Dominion." It's nice but nothing special; at least it has some good melodies. With the title track you could hear a connection to the 1970s, but this song looks towards the uncertain future. If you only know '70s TD but are curious about anything they did after, I would suggest picking this up. It's nowhere near as good as their best work from the previous decade, but it's still more consistent and enjoyable than the majority of what they released in the '80s. This gets a 3.5 rounded up to 4 stars.

Send comments to zravkapt (BETA) | Report this review (#480000) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, July 10, 2011

Review by octopus-4
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
4 stars Between a soundtrack and another in the first half of the 80s, Tangerine Dream found the time for recording a live album. Without the constraints imposed by studio cinema work, they can freely express their music out of time limits.

Unfortunately the size of vinyls caused this "Logos" to be cut into two parts, and this is really a pity, even if I have read that the CD edition has the two parts reunited into one single track.

What I call "the rule of five" is initially respected: the first 4:30 minutes are based on a repetitive obsessive rhythm, then a section made of rhythmless keyboards comes. This part reminds me to the most spacey parts of Vangelis' Albedo 0.39 and is effectively very spacey. After a couple of minutes a slow electronic drumming transforms it into a melodic newage.

The rule of 5 (a change every 5 minutes) is broken and what we have is similar to what Peter Bardens was doing more or less in the same period: melodic electronic. Good but not excellent. I prefer the spacey things.

At about minute 12 the music stops and it's like another track is starting, but it's only because the keyboards volume lowers down and is covered by applauses. Then we travel again in the darkness of the deep space, then some "techno-house" sounds like a scratch and a voice crying "Breakdown". The space environment is left behind until minute 17 when a repetitive base brings us back to the times of Ricochet and Cyclone. Squared waves and little variations.

It doesn't last long. at minute 20:30 a melodic rhythmic section brings us to the end of side A.

Side B opens in a very different manner. I'd like to hear the 45 minutes version to hear how the transition is made. This opening is dark and spacey, very appropriate as starter. Again I see a connection to Vangelis. Heaven and Hell, this time. Exactly five minutes, then a new section starts. Odd signature, electronic bass and sequencer. Again very close to Vangelis (China). I think to hear some of Froese's guitar here, too.

At about minute 10 (now the rule of 5 seems to work), it turns into 80s electropop. Not a good conclusion, but 6 minutes weaker than the rest on a 35 minutes performance can be tolerated.

The final section is melodic and poppy, but it maintains some of the typical TD characteristics. It's a good closer for this long live track.

"Dominion" is a sort of filler. 8 minutes of 80s pop without particular goods and bads. It's listenable and doesn't add or remove anything to the album. It's there, that's all.

Side A is quite a masterpiece, side B is "only" good, so the average is 4 stars, also taking into account that this one of the few non-soundtracks released by TD in this period.

Send comments to octopus-4 (BETA) | Report this review (#494544) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars This album I never owned on LP, so I only know the long Logos piece in the continuous version on the CD. It's nice, and has some very good sections, but it also has some very cheesy parts as well.

First of all, the synth sounds are superb. They are very sharp sounding, and some are quite original. I suspect that the "Wake up!" sample and the breathy sound used in that section were sampled from Godley & Creme's "Consequences" album. A half a point added if that is the case.

On the other side, the piece sounds like a bunch of disparate ideas stuck together to form a long composition. And too many parts resolve into the obvious major chords, instead of those wonderfully dark minors. And as for Dominion, meh.

3 stars.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#497515) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 04, 2011

Review by stefro
4 stars Recorded at the Dominion Theatre, London, this superb live release finds Tangerine Dream performing a lengthy, bravura set very much at the peak of their formidable powers. Others will argue that the German electronic pioneers best times came around the mid-seventies with their 'Phaedra' and 'Rubycon' albums, yet it is their later material, particular between the years 1977 and 1984 that finds the group at their most universal, creating highly-emotive synthesized melodies that partially eschew the experimental musings of their formative years in favour of a much more accessible sound. The style evident on 'Logos' would of course lay the foundations for a commercially successful 1980s period which saw the trio - led as always by founding member Edgar Froese - embark on a lucrative soundtrack period(1977 had seen them provide the music for William Friedkin's thriller 'Sorceror') which would see Hollywood directors such as Michael Mann(Thief, Manhunter, Heat, Miami Vice) and Kathryn Bigelow(Near Dark, Strange Days, The Hurt Locker) utilising Tangerine Dream's powerful music in place of classical scores. Indeed, 'Logo's most powerful moments also feature prominently in Michael Mann's criminally-ignored and highly-atmospheric 1983 World War II horror fantasy 'The Keep', making it a much sought-after album thanks to the fact that the film's official soundtrack was never made commercially available, probably due in part to the film's subsequent box-office failure. Made up of one pulsing, five-minute closer('Dominion') and the epic, electro-psych journey title-track, this 1983 album ebbs and flows almost sensually from one uplifting moment to the next. The variety of moods charted by the group leads the listener through a seemingly endless array of gently-pulsing electro soundscapes, all the while flecked by neon-lit keyboards and dazzling, multi-layered synth workouts that flow almost effortlessly from one section to the next. This is Tangerine Dream in gloriously upbeat mode, and, unlike their earlier, darker live offering 'Ricochet'(another excellent concert album) there is much less reliability on repetition. Featuring a crisp, classy sound quality, 'Logos' is possibly the definitive live statement from this pioneering outfit and a must for every fan of early electronica. A truly captivating experience.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

Send comments to stefro (BETA) | Report this review (#666975) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 19, 2012

Review by Gatot
4 stars For me personally Tangerine Dream was quite known for its space rock music style where I need appropriate mood to enjoy the music as I originally came from the kind of symphonic prog music. But it does not necessarily mean that this is not the kind of music that I cannot enjoy it's just I need quite sometime to find the best mood to get the subtleties of the music. Once I love their 'Bent Cold Sidewalk' track from Cyclone album but not many tracks of them that I am aware of.

As for Logos, I remember vividly that I was doing my final years at college when this album in cassette format I purchased, the same year with Marillion Script for a Jester's Tear. During the year I basically more into Marillion than other bands because to me Marillion brought alive the spirit of prog. But when I got a bit bored with Marillion I found others like Logos from Tangerine Dream - especially when I worked my academic work during the night until midnight. Wow! The opening track Logos really fit my purpose where at that time I need something foft as background and there are so many electronic instruments that Tangerine Dream plays in this live performance. I like the way how the keyboards and its devices create various sounds throughout the track. When I am now playing the cassette of this album now I can feel the way I worked at that time and I find joy now listening the music of Logos. The beauty is how the music flows and transcends all segments wonderfully as we are moving away with the music. Wahat a beautiful composition!

Overall, I find this album very good and enjoyable from start to end, especially when you enjoy it while the light is off and sipping a cup of coffee ... What a life! Am not doing it now as I am listening while writing the review of this album and it's heavy rain outside now. It's really enjoyable.... Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#880197) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 22, 2012

5 stars One of their better Live performances of the era. By this part of their career the band have probably got bored with doing their atmospheric Space/Psychedelic approach. "Logos" still represents long tracks, but more rhythmic and straightforward than their early works. Comparisons with "Tangram" a ... (read more)

Report this review (#890321) | Posted by BORA | Wednesday, January 09, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Coming from a self proclaimed hater of live albums, 'Logos' is one of those albums that uses a slow drum machine that the band are slavishly tied down to throughout its duration. You'll feel like giving them a good kick, just to get their sorry asses into gear. Unfortunately it doesn't reall ... (read more)

Report this review (#621319) | Posted by Dobermensch | Friday, January 27, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars It´s not strange to be a Tangerine Dream but not like all their records or even periods. Who owns their entire catalogue of more than 100 (!!!) records? Personally, I´ve listened to most of their discography and some of their records have nothing to do with others (usually, soundtracks or some ... (read more)

Report this review (#86813) | Posted by Jordi Planas | Saturday, August 12, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Looking back in retrospect, this is the quintessential Tangerine Dream live experience. The lineup of Froese-Franke-Schmoelling had perhaps the best chemistry in the history of the band. This work finds them at their peak: playing off one another and creating soundscapes that (for the time pe ... (read more)

Report this review (#78905) | Posted by beebs | Sunday, May 21, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars It's very hard for me to give an objective review of this album, since I'm a fanatic Tangerine Dream fan, but I'll give it a try. The whole album has that 80's sound, a bit commercial sounding at times, but it's not such a bad thing here. Johannes Schmoelling really changed the direction of the b ... (read more)

Report this review (#34487) | Posted by | Wednesday, March 16, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars A masterpiece from start to finish. I have to say that there are waaay too many 5 star reviews here. But Logos certainly deserves one. This music is the pinnacle of this version of TD's lineup. Franke, Froese, and Schmoelling work as one here. Logos consists of an extended suite of music, br ... (read more)

Report this review (#34485) | Posted by | Thursday, March 10, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TANGERINE DREAM "Logos... Live At The Dominion - London"