THE GAME

Buy QUEEN Music
Studio Album, released in 1980

1. Play the Game (3:32)
2. Dragon Attack (4:15)
3. Another One Bites the Dust (3:03)
4. Need Your Loving Tonight (2:48)
5. Crazy Little Thing Called Love (2:44)
6. Rock It (Prime Jive) (4:32)
7. Don't Try Suicide (3:52)
8. Sail Away Sweet Sister (3:32)
9. Coming Soon (2:49)
10. Save Me (3:42)
11. Dragon Attack* (1991 Remix) (4:20)

Search QUEEN The Game lyrics

Search QUEEN The Game tabs

- Freddie Mercury / vocals, piano
- Brian May / guitars, keyboards, vocals
- John Deacon / bass
- Roger Taylor / drums, vocals

- Mac / additional synth's

1980 & 1991 Queen Productions ltd. Re-released 1991 by Hollywood Records with 1 bonus track noted with * in track listing. Produced by Queen and Mack

DVD Audio Disc released 2003 by DTS #1110

Thanks to tuxon for the addition
and to Tarcisio Moura for the last updates

QUEEN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy QUEEN The Game Music

News of the World [Vinyl]News of the World [Vinyl]
Collector's Edition
FONTANA HOLLYWOOD 2009
Vinyl$7.99
Greatest Hits I, II & III - The Platinum Collection (3CD)Greatest Hits I, II & III - The Platinum Collection (3CD)
Box set · Remastered
Hollywood Records 2002
Queen: Greatest Hits I & IIQueen: Greatest Hits I & II
Hollywood Records 1995
Greatest Hits: We Will Rock You EditionGreatest Hits: We Will Rock You Edition
Remastered · Special Edition
Hollywood Records 2004
QUEEN - FREDDIE MERCURY, BRIAN MAY, ROGER TAYLOR & JOHN DEACON AUTOGRAPH POSTER US $17.74 Buy It Now 31m 24s
QUEEN - FREDDIE MERCURY, BRIAN MAY, ROGER TAYLOR & JOHN DEACON HUGE PHOTO US $17.74 Buy It Now 32m 38s
QUEEN - FREDDIE MERCURY, BRIAN MAY, ROGER TAYLOR & JOHN DEACON LARGE PHOTO US $17.74 Buy It Now 33m 45s
In Transit - A - Rock 'N' Roll Queen, It's My Way, Still Got A Lot, Belle Isle, US $1.00 [0 bids]
34m 19s
Minako Honda Crazy Nights Japan Vinyl 12 inch Single Shrink Brian May Queen 12" US $49.99 Buy It Now 37m 36s
QUEEN II: DIGITAL REMASTER 2011 NEW CD US $13.95 Buy It Now 38m 37s
Queen - Greatest Hits II - 17 Songs - Original EMI label CD (1991) US $5.57 [0 bids]
38m 47s
Queen - Somebody To Love c/w White Man 7" JAPAN 45 US $19.99 Buy It Now 42m 43s
Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love c/w Spread Your Wings 7" JAPAN 45 US $12.99 Buy It Now 42m 43s
Queen - You're My Best Friend c/w '39, 7" JAPAN 45 US $17.99 Buy It Now 42m 43s
Queen - One Vision c/w Blurred Vision 7" JAPAN PROMO 45 US $12.99 Buy It Now 42m 43s
Sylvie Vartan - Disco Queen (Johnny, Johnny...) c/w Sidere Sideral 7" JAPAN 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 42m 43s
The Edgar Winter Group with Rick Derringer - Queen Of My Dreams 7" JAPAN 45 US $14.99 Buy It Now 42m 43s
Queen - Another One Bites The Dust c/w Don't Try Suicide 7" JAPAN 45 US $24.99 Buy It Now 42m 46s
ROCK CITY NIGHTS various artists LP 18 track including queen,b jovi,inxs,te US $8.37 Buy It Now 1h 2m
ROCK CITY NIGHTS various artists LP 18 track including queen,b jovi,inxs,texas,t US $8.37 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - Bohemian Symphony-Rpo Plays Queen CD US $13.29 Buy It Now 1h 7m
QUEEN - BOLLYWOOD ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK CD - FREE POST US $5.18 Buy It Now 1h 20m
QUEEN MADE IN HEAVEN PICTURE DISC CD ALBUM 1995 US $4.18 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Redbone single - Witch Queen Of New Orleans / 13th hour US $6.49 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Rita Lee CD 1993 Rare Filho Meu Drag Queen Etc Portugal Sony Music US $9.99 [0 bids]
Aretha Franklin Queen Of Soul Stereo On Harmony SS US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 45m
THE PRINCESS HAS RETURNED - Soundtrack CD *NEW* QUEEN US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Agnetha Fältskog The Queen Of Hearts 4 Track CD 1998 ABBA Faltskog US $14.99 [1 bids]
Queen Innuendo LP 1991 Rare Portugal Release US $14.99 [0 bids]
CANADA PROMO COPY 1980 ROCK 45 QUEEN : ANOTHER ONES BITES THE DUST + DON'T TRY S US $34.99 Buy It Now 2h 7m
Cover Band Homage To Queen LP Sexy Cover Cheesecake Portugal Release US $14.99 [0 bids]
Queen-As Performed By [CD New] US $6.97 Buy It Now 2h 9m
FREDDIE MERCURY (Queen) - Magazine Poster US $7.55 Buy It Now 2h 10m
QUEEN GIRLIE SHIRT The Beatles Scorpions Freddie Mercury Brian May Led Zeppelin US $34.99 Buy It Now 2h 13m
STAN KENTON AND HIS ORCHESTRA 1947 LP 13 track (q057) italian queen disc 1982 US $8.37 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Rose,Calypso - Queen Of Trinidad [CD New] US $14.00 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Queen's - First E.P. UK 7" EX- US $8.37 [0 bids]
QUEEN-S/T-JAPAN SHM-SACD LTD AA25 US $62.50 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Greatest Hits [1992] by Queen (CD, Sep-1992, Hollywood) 17 Great Songs US $1.99 [1 bids]
QUEEN RARE Roger Taylor Interview 1991 Yellow Colored Vinyl US $9.99 [0 bids]
Concert for the People of Kampuchea by Queen, The Who, Paul McCartney, The Clash US $7.00 [0 bids]
Queen IT'S A HARD LIFE 7" Single Record US $8.00 [0 bids]
FUN IN SPACE by Roger Taylor from QUEEN 12" Vinyl Record US $12.99 [0 bids]
JAZZ by Queen 12" Vinyl Record with Poster (1978) US $14.99 [0 bids]
ONE VISION by Queen Original Soundtrack from IRON EAGLE Promotional (1985) 12" US $14.99 [0 bids]
45 RPM Record THE QUEEN BY RIP CHORDS US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 36m
IRON EAGLE SOUNDTRACK ON LP Queen, Urgent, Dio, etc US $9.99 [0 bids]
PEPE DELUXE - QUEEN OF THE WAVE [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $17.04 Buy It Now 2h 41m
THE SUB DAVIDZ 'SCANDINAVIAN QUEEN' UK 7" SINGLE US $3.34 Buy It Now 2h 43m
Trav'lin' Light, Queen Latifah, Good US $6.87 Buy It Now 2h 46m
FREDDIE MERCURY/Queen I Was Born To Love You 1985 7" single Holland PROMO Swe. US $7.99 [0 bids]
Queen of Soul The Very Best of Aretha Franklin Music Compilation Album CD New US $21.79 Buy It Now 2h 49m
QUEEN-GREATEST HITS I II & III-PLATINUM COLLECTION-3 CD SET + BOOKLET-AUSTRALIA US $27.87 Buy It Now 2h 51m
QUEEN - A Night at the Opera / MFSL 24K Gold CD US $29.99 [0 bids]
Lot of 100 vinyl singles. (Beatles, Madness, Queen and many others!) US $350.00 [0 bids]
Earl Nightingale Lead the Field in Modern World Daity Queen 1965 7" 817N-2783 EX US $10.00 [0 bids]
QUEEN Radio Ga Ga / I Go Crazy 1984 7" single EU US $4.99 [0 bids]
3h
QUEEN Friends Will Be Friends / Seven Seas Of Rhye 1986 7" single Holland US $4.99 [0 bids]
3h
QUEEN/freddie mercury Headlong 1991 7" single EU mint US $9.99 [1 bids]
QUEEN Made in Heaven UKRAINIAN Cassette TAPE - EMI Ukraine - Freddie Mercury US $16.92 Buy It Now 3h 2m
THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE QUEEN_used CD_ships from AUSTRALIA! US $9.29 Buy It Now 3h 8m
Freddie Mercury - I Was Born To Love You - Japan 7 - MINT (Queen) US $18.57 [0 bids]
Queen - Somebody To Love - Japan 7" - Original (1976) EX US $18.57 [0 bids]
LOVERBOY - Queen Of The Broken Hearts *DOUBLE PACK* - Ex 7" Single CBS DA 3705 US $6.69 Buy It Now 3h 17m
Queen-Hammer to fall( Headbangers Mix) 1984 South African 12 inch single on EMI) US $20.00 [0 bids]
FREDDIE MERCURY QUEEN / VAN HALEN - 2 SIDED 1 PAGE POSTER FROM ROCK ON! 1980 US $8.37 Buy It Now 3h 23m
QUEEN & VANGUARD " FLASH " CD SINGLE EXCELLENT 2002 US $3.34 Buy It Now 3h 33m
The Smiths The Queen Is Dead lp new vinyl US $29.99 Buy It Now 3h 40m
Queen Greatest Hits I & II (1 & 2) # TOCP8535-36 (EMI Japan) New Sealed US $61.24 Buy It Now 3h 48m
Bandit Queen - 1994 -Original Movie Soundtrack CD US $46.40 Buy It Now 3h 49m
QUEEN ELEPHANTINE SCARAB *WHITE SONS OF OTIS VENOMOUS MAXIMUS TONER LOW RAMESSES US $36.99 Buy It Now 3h 49m
QUEEN - A NIGHT AT THE OPERA CD 1993 KOREA SLIPCOVER US $17.09 Buy It Now 3h 56m
Alfred Deller: Handel Ode For The Birthday Of Queen Ann US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 18m
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra 1994 Music of QUEEN [used CD] symphonic rock US $6.73 [0 bids]
The King/ Johnny Cash The Queen/Tammy Wynette 8 Track Tape US $4.99 [0 bids]
QUEEN - THE WORKS 1st Polish Pressing Cassette BUY UP TO 4 & PAY SHIPP FOR 1 US $2.90 Buy It Now 4h 28m
QUEEN - A KIND OF MAGIC - EXCELLENT CONDITION - 33 PAGES OF PICTURES AND INFO US $36.91 Buy It Now 4h 33m
78rpm LONDON CATHOLIC CHOIR faith of our fathers / hail queen of heaven US $25.17 Buy It Now 4h 33m
QUEEN - A KIND OF MAGIC - VERY GOOD CONDITION - 33 PAGES OF PICTURES AND INFO US $36.91 Buy It Now 4h 34m
QUEEN - SHEER HEART ATTACK [QUEEN] [CD BOXSET] [2 DISCS] - NEW CD BOXSET US $13.26 Buy It Now 4h 34m
Andy Hug Silent Power Best of Best CD Queen Gotthard John Parr Deep Purple Amen US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 38m
Queen - 45 - You're My Best Friend & '39 US $2.24 [2 bids]
QUEEN 7" Platinum Disc YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND US $109.06 Buy It Now 4h 43m
QUEEN IDA & HER ZYDECO BAND:' ON A SATURDAY NIGHT': 1984 SONET LP: EX / EX US $31.02 Buy It Now 4h 48m
QUEEN SUNFLY KARAOKE MULTIPLEX DVD 12 HIT SONGS US $13.92 Buy It Now 4h 53m
7" TT SYNDICATE "MOOVIN' AND A GROOVIN'/VENOM DREAM QUEEN" RHYTHM N BLUES US $11.00 Buy It Now 4h 56m
Billy Ocean . Suddenly . Caribbean Queen . LP . Shrink Wrap US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 56m
QUEEN + JAZZ + LP+ NM +GATEFOLDED +original insert+1978 US $13.98 [0 bids]
QUEEN SHEER HEART ATTACK HR CUTTING JAPAN MINI LP PLATINUM SHM CD US $45.80 Buy It Now 5h 8m
QUEEN-Brian May and Friends-STAR FLEET US $9.99 [0 bids]
Queen Live Killers by QUEEN Freddy Mercury 12" Vinyl Record US $14.99 [0 bids]
Queen Made In Heaven Cassette Tape 1995 US $5.00 [0 bids]
QUEEN LIVE AT THE BOWL SEALED 3 LP PARLOPHONE ISSUE SET US $199.99 Buy It Now 5h 13m
CHICAGO - SOUNDTRACK OST Catherine Zeta Jones Queen Latifah Lil' Kim Anastacia US $4.90 Buy It Now 5h 17m
ARETHA FRANKLIN: THE QUEEN IN WAITING; THE COLUMBIA YEARS; SEALED PROMO 2 CD SET US $17.00 Buy It Now 5h 20m

More places to buy QUEEN music online Buy QUEEN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for QUEEN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

QUEEN The Game ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(9%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(24%)

QUEEN The Game reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
1 stars I will not spend time reviewing all preceeding albums to this one (up to Jazz and the Live Killers) , because they are all good and would rather avoid the prog or not debate) but the good Queen era stopped at the above-stated albums. From this one comes the "certainly not prog" era, whether this is to be linked with Freddy Mercury's coming out is open to debate but also due to the MTV phenomena (Body Language videos etc...)...... Whatever..... But Queen did alienate most of their older fans around this album and Hot works. And I was one of them.And i am still. And hearing tunes like Bite The Dust Crazy Little Thing and Radio Gaga, will probably never reconcile me totally with Queen.

Outside of the odd tune on here that will remind you of previous albums , Queen entered the 80's with the typical sickly drumming (and it is a shame because Taylor is a good drummer) of that decade. This alone is 2* stars taken away. For the rest , one cannot say that Queen was headed for the commercialism since they were always commercial, but at least before they were challenging: now from this album on , they will be controversial.

I may be tough on this album , since they will do much worse with the next three (Space , Gordon and Works) , only really bettering at the end of the decade with Innuendo, but I want to make a statement here, that this is the Cornerstone album (that Styx did also but called it as such) and it clearly sets the mark between the good (before) , the bad (after) and the Ugly - Montserrat Caballe ;-)

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#41394) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Review by Guillermo
2 stars This album marked the change to Pop Rock music for Queen. Gone are the very good arrangements of previous albums. It seems to me that their "Live Killers" album marked the end of an era for Queen.

As previous reviewers wrote, and as I wrote in other reviews for albums by bands like YES, Genesis, King Crimson, and others for the albums they released in the late 70s-early 80s, Queen was another of those good quality bands which changed their previously more elaborated musical style to compose songs more destined for radio playing. Maybe it was a "change or disappear" requirement done by their record companies, or maybe it also was a need for a change, but with Queen in particular, the disappointment was even greater, in my opinion.

The biggest hit from this album, I think, was the song "Crazy Little Thing Called Love", a 50s Rock and Roll style song sung a la Elvis by Freddie Mercury. I also consider it as the best song in this album. Another hit song, played many times in the radio was "Another One Bites the Dust" with a bass guitar line similar to the song "Rapper`s Delight" by a band whose name I don`t remember now (maybe it was "Rapper`s Convention" or something like that), a song which was a hit in 1979. John Deacon, the writer of "Another One..", wrote better songs for Queen years before, but I don`t like "Another One..." very much. "Save Me" was another song played in the radio, and at least it has good vocals arrangements. "Play the Game", again played in the radio, is not one of my favourites.The rest of the songs are not very interesting, apart from very good guitars played by Brian May.

When I started playing drums in one amateur band in 1981, I had to play with them "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" in wedding parties. This song is still played in oldies FM radio stations in my city.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#79916) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Review by clarke2001
2 stars The QUEEN album from the transition period. This one will be remembered because of first use of a synthesizer (Oberheim OBX) on a QUEEN record. Prog-related QUEEN period is gone for good. This record is much closer to the trendy punk and new Wave than it's predecessors "News Of The World" and "Jazz".

"Another One Bites The Dust" was a huge hit. Only interesting thing about this one is the fact that actually all the special effects and strange sounds are made with Brian's guitar. There is no single not played on a synth. "Play The Game" is lovely ballad in QUEEN style, but note very challenging. The same goes for "Save Me" (very pleasant ballad though). "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" is rockabilly (retro-rockabilly was trend in the early 80s) somewhat reminding of THE STRAY CATS. "Don't Try Suicide", "Need Your Loving Tonight" and "Coming Soon" are just fillers, very weak fillers. "Don't Try Suicide" have some good lyrics, but that's not enough to save the song.

"Rock It" is very good punk/new-wave with Roger on vocals. I like it a lot; it's not just a weak attempt of 70's rock dinosaurs to play new, trendy music (like mentioned "Coming Soon"), it works really well, actually. My favourite track from the album.

"Sail Away Sweet Sister" is lovely Brian's acoustic ballad, and only thing that is somewhat proggy, but don't expect too much. It's just a lovely song with Brian on vocals, and one chorus in good old-fashioned QUEEN style.

The last song worth mentioning is bass-driven "Dragon Attack". Despite the cheesy lyrics and predictability, it's quite a good groove...

What can I say? Eighties are here. If you are not a QUEEN fan, skip this one.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#101809) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Review by Chris S
2 stars In 1980 Queen delivered a killer blow to their sound. They really did move into the more pop market orientated field. For those fans who enjoyed Queen's evolution going in this direction will no doubt continue to enjoy the 80's works but for me the compositions took a downward spiral. ' Another One Bites The Dust' written by John Deacon is still for me one of the best songs ever written by Queen so this song redeems the album somewhat. What Queen continued to do through the 80's was deliver great live performances but their studio work took a bit of a dive.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#103406) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 17, 2006

Review by Seyo
2 stars Three huge hits, "Another One Bites the Dust", "Save Me" and "Crazy Little Thing Called Love", are pretty much everything on "The Game" that deserves to be heard. And of course, none of these is anywear near the prog rock. This is arena, bubble gum disco-rock music that had a purpose to entertain teenage kids in early 1980s, but nowadays it is so dated and negligable.

Send comments to Seyo (BETA) | Report this review (#118804) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Review by Gatot
2 stars As far as my taste, there is nothing special about this album. Oh yes, this album features a very popular hit by the time it was released and it was aired on every radio in my country: "Another One Bites The Dust". This song created confusion to Queen fans as to which direction Queen would take their music to. Looking at this Another One Bites The Dust there is very obvious on upbeat disco style of this song. Other hits that were also popular: "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" and "Play The Game". As matter of taste, I like "Play The Game" as it still has the components of early Queen music. "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" was for me something like a rock'n'roll tune. This song was rearranged for marching band when I also get involved to play at Waditra Ganesha ITB Marching Band, altogether with ELP's "Pictures at an Exhibition" and The Police "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic".

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#121009) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 07, 2007

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars "I gotta be cool, relax, get hip, get on my tracks"

Queen entered the 1980's with something of a resurgence after a couple of sub-par releases in 1977 ("News of the world") and 1978 ("Jazz"). "The Game" is notable simply for the fact that the band used a synthesiser for the first time, thus ending the proud "no synthesiser" boasts which appeared on previous album sleeves. It is fair to say though that the synthesiser usage is kept well in check, even if it is immediately noticeable as the first solo instrument on the opening (title) track.

During this period Queen's focus moved perceptibly towards world domination through multi-million selling singles and albums. "The game" therefore has ten single length tracks, any of which could have been a hit. In the event, four massive hit singles were selected, "Play the game", "Another one bites the dust", "Crazy little thing called love" and "Save me". Two of these, "Another one.." and "Crazy little thing.." signal a significant move for the band into a much funkier, pop orientated domain. "Another one bites the dust" is notable for John Deacon's much sampled bass line, the song's signature.

While they retained much of their unique character, the originality which differentiated the band in their early years was largely suppressed in the quest to be the best pop band. The track "Need your loving tonight" for example could be by any retro influenced chart group, were it not for the undeniable quality of the performance. The irresistible "Crazy little thing called love" comes straight from the rockabilly world of "Blue suede shoes" Elvis, Freddie even doing his best to sound like The King.

The other two singles mentioned ("Play the game", "Save me") are more orthodox Queen power ballads, which sit somewhat apart from the rest of the album. The most bizarre track is "Don't try suicide", which puts an upbeat jaunty melody to a troubling, not to say weak lyric: "Think you're gonna slash your wrists this time, baby when you do it, all you do is get on my tits."

The bottom line on the album as a whole is, take away the wonderful pop of the hit singles, and you are left with a bunch of pretty average album tracks, only partially saved by some fine performances. This is probably one case where the "Greatest hits" packages are the better bet.

The sleeve photograph of the band is now somewhat amusing, portraying them as young rockers complete with short hair and black leather jackets. They look like extras from "Grease"!

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#128402) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 14, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars OUCH !!! ALL DEAD! ALL DEAD!

Attention ! This album seriously hurts. Believe me!

One of their worse effort. But be prepared for several albums of this calibre, unfortunately. Disco beat "Coming Soon ", poor music "Don't Try Suicide"

But the two hits from this album are just the corresponding answer to "Fat Bottomed Girls" from "Jazz". I can't stand these, but apparently lots of people love them. So.

The most difficult task is to define the poorest one of all. Is it "Dragon Attack" (very difficult to describe), the childish "Need Your Loving Tonight" or the insipid "Sail Away Sweet Sister" ?

One good news about the original album : it was very short (less than thirty-five minutes). The second one is that there will even be a good tracks in here. A typical "Queen" number Play The Game. One good song only, this is below average for a Queen album.

Avoid it by all means if you want to keep yourself alive and be able to rock at Brighton. This album has not won the ogre battle. The one who tells you so is just a liar. I understand that these days weren' t the modern times of rock 'n' roll and that the band weren' in the lap of the gods while writing this album.

I guess the band should have better been inspired if they would have been lazing on a Sunday afternoon. They could have remained one of my best friends. But these were probably some prophets songs. Not at all the love of my life. After listening to such an album, I'm just dead on my two legs and my breath has been taken away.

I can't spread my wings because we are not the champions anymore. And from father to son I say : All dead! All dead!

Don't expect any prog in here. Maybe for their next album? This one stinks.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#159691) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2008

Review by Queen By-Tor
2 stars Just playing that game.

Following their 1978 change in pace, Jazz, Queen starts to move down the disco road with this effort. Not there quite yet, but the sound is starting to run in that direction. The Game is a blend of old school (pseudo-1950s) Rock 'n Roll, some almost disco moments and a bit of old Queen. Really, this is where Queen started to adapt to the 80s and really started to aim at the hits. While Queen had always been a trendy band who managed to find commercial success in everything they did, this is where they really started to lose the progressive and hard rock audience. Some may argue that this started back with News Of The World (and others say Night At The Opera), but at least that album had some very bright rock moments with a couple of truly brilliant anthems. This one plays it safe, and while it does have its moments, this one is mostly the stuff of progressive nightmares.

Starting with the promising Play The Game we're treated to some of the Queen that we know so well. A slow, yet effective song that shows the emotion that Queen has usually portrayed so well with Mercury's excellent vocal talents and the compositions of the rest of the band. But that's when it all starts to go downhill. Dragon Attack has an interesting bass riff that starts off the track promisingly, and a great Taylor drum solo near the middle... but the track never really goes anywhere. It sticks to the strait and narrow so much that it simply becomes that one bass riff over and over until the song ends. Following that is the song that many people know so well, Another One Bites The Dust. A good pop-rock track, yes. but is it very good in the progressive scope? No, not really. Another good bass riff is what saves this one from becoming just another track.

Now for some good ol' rock and roll. A bundle of enjoyable, if somewhat predictable song are up next. Proving that they're still an excellent force to be reckoned with in the rock world, Queen puts out a couple of numbers here that should appeal to the classic rocker, if not so much the prog-head. Need Your Loving Tonight and Rock It (Prime Jive) are a couple of upbeat tracks with a fast pace that are enjoyable, while Crazy Little Thing Called Love brings back memories of 50s rock and roll music. Sail Away Sweet Sister coupled with Coming Soon make up for the very redeeming saving grace of this album along with the crowd favorite, Save Me, all of which are good rock tunes but lack the complexities that Queen usually are so good at playing around with.

However, one track has been skipped here. The album's nadir, Don't Try Suicide is an annoying track that's amusing at best and terribly irritating at the worst. Though a short track, this is one of those, ''What were they thinking!?'' tracks whose comparison could fall close to Genesis's ''Who Dunnit?''.

Not Queen's best effort, this is one best skipped by those who don't consider themselves fans of the band. Still a couple highlights, this one is a full head and shoulders above its successor, Hot Space, which would be a couple years later. Though that's really not saying much based on the caliber of that album. This one is for people who enjoy dancable classic rock and who really like Queen's 80s outputs. Everyone else should just retreat back into 80s Queen if they're looking for something to get into. I'd be hard-pressed to give this album anything higher than a 2.

Send comments to Queen By-Tor (BETA) | Report this review (#165989) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 07, 2008

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Is Queen back in the game? Well, almost... The two songs that book end the album are the best ones; Play The Game and Save Me are both great songs with a very typical Queen sound.

Dragon Attack is great funky, bass driven rocker. I love the drum break at 1:30 into the song and the bass guitar solo that follows. Indeed, this is very much John Deacon's album, his bass guitar is very present on this album. And he wrote even more funky and bass driven Another One Bites The Dust. This song is not a favourite of mine though, I usually skip it.

Need Your Loving Tonight is a rather straightforward rocker that does not impress me much. And then there is the 50's style rock 'n' roll of Crazy Little Thing Called Love which is fun, but not much more than fun (but the guitar solo is great!).

Roger Taylor's Rock It (Prime Jive) (which I think should have been titled Rock In Space instead) is decent and very typically Roger Taylor. The Game was the first Queen album to include synthesisers which can be heard on this song and some others.

Don't Try Suicide is yet another bass driven song with a great lyric don't try suicide, you just gonna hate it.

Sail Away Sweet Sister is a song that makes me cry. Brian May sings this one, and his voice is so fragile and emotional. Great acoustic guitar break as well. A very typical Brian May song.

Coming Soon is another rocker; good but hardly amazing.

Save Me is without any doubt the album's best moment. I love this song! The lyrics, the vocals, the acoustic/electric guitar solos, the piano; its beautiful!

So, how to rate this album? Well, judging each track alone does not make this look too impressive, but the album taken as a whole cannot result in anything less than three stars. I readily admit that The Game offers very little in terms of prog. But I like it.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#190045) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 21, 2008

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Queen always remaining one of the most well known and respected bands ever in music. From this album on they dropped the prog influences from previouses album and become more and more accesible and comercial, but never the less some of their albums worth some spins from time to time, even if the prog elements are no more. On this album named The game from 1980, Queen manage to creat something between hard rock in places and mainstream rock , just for everybody. To me this is not a bad album, kinda mediocre , but 2 or 3 pieces are great like:Rock It (Prime Jive) and Coming Soon, the best from here, the rest are ok, easy to listen but not bad. In the '80's Queen was a hit factory, almost from every album, were 2-3 or even more pieces as hits in charts, beating almost everyband in this category. Not much to add, if you know Queen, and I think everybody listened at least once their albums, this one is not recommended, but is enjoyble. 2.5 rounded up to 3.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#207824) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 20, 2009

Review by snobb
3 stars Myriad of critical reviews! I was a big fan of Queen for years, and I perfectly remember, how interesting this album was at the time of it's release!

First wide using of synthesizers in Queen albums ( if you remember, they we proud to write on their early albums "No synthesizers used!") Yes, this album is a turn to more pop-synth- oriented music, but it was a victim of time. ( And you perfectly know, that many artists made the same turn at that time: David Bowie, RPI groups,etc). So - some things are result of their time.

But the album by itself isn't as bad, as many think. At least, it rock, not sweet-soap of many competitors of it's time. Yes, it gave some mega-hits, so everyone know this music more or less. But just to try listen it as album, once again. I think you will see, that there are some interesting music on it.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#239896) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 18, 2009

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars Here is where Queen went completely into the realm of bubblegum pop music. The best thing I can say about the album is that it compares to the last few 10CC albums, where that band was completely irrelevant.

While the production managed to get this album some airplay, mostly with Anotherone Bites The Dust, a fairly empty, boring, bass drive tune (I'm sure you've heard it) and Crazy Little Thing Called Love an Elvis imitation (how original), the album is pretty much forgettable.

There is a moment for about ten seconds in the middle of the opening track, Play The Game, where it sounds as if the band is going to break into something interesting. But alas, it doesn't last. And they do try some hard rock in Dragon Attack, but it's a pale song in comparison with their earlier hard rock works.

This Game? Tilt! Game over.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#349322) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 10, 2010

Review by zravkapt
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Post Rock Team
2 stars My parents played the 8-track cartridge of this album in the car all the time when I was just a small child. I can still remember hearing: "don't try suicide, you're just going to hate it..." (music fades out) CLICK! CLICK! (music fades back in) "...don't try suicide, nobody gives a damn." My parents were those mainstream types who never really bothered with Queen until The Game came out. This is their best selling album in North America, most likely due to the strong 1950s rock'n'roll and funk/disco influences. Even a song like "Bohemian Rhapsody" never caught on in the US until it was featured in a 1990s movie.

A lot of older fans didn't like the direction the group went in with this album. Unitl now, all their albums included the statement: "no synthesizers were used in this recording." Well, now they were used. Since this is literally my first exposure to Queen, I enjoy it more than most die-hard Queen fans do. This album was so ingrained into my psyche when I was young I literally love every song. Even 'filler' songs like "Need Your Loving Tonight" and "Coming Soon." This album has what I believe to be three of the bands best ballads ("Sail Away Sweet Sister", "Save Me" and the title track). "Sail Away" features some of Brain May's best singing on a Queen song, while "Rock It (Prime Jive)" is one of the better songs Roger Taylor has written for the band.

"Another One Bites The Dust" is famous for ripping off the bassline from Chic's "Good Times." "Dragon Attack" is the only other funk/disco influenced song. "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" of course sounds like Elvis Presley. For nostalgic reasons I love this album, but for this site it only gets 2 stars from me.

Send comments to zravkapt (BETA) | Report this review (#434287) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 16, 2011

Review by Warthur
2 stars Queen had by this point become a rather soulless pop hit machine, cranking out catchy but disposable singles one after the other. This time around Another One Bites the Dust is the obligatory "anthem", Play the Game and Crazy Little Thing Called Love are the love songs, and the rest is rather forgettable. The band make a token effort to strike up some hard rock fury with Need Your Loving Tonight but fail to convince. The Game here is clearly "the music industry", and by this point Queen had become very adept at playing it indeed, because it sold like crazy - but do you know anyone who sincerely claims their favourite Queen song is Another One Bites the Dust? I don't.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#564407) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Review by UMUR
3 stars "The Game" is the 8th full-length studio album by UK rock act Queen. The album was released through EMI/Parlophone in Europe and Elektra/Hollywood in the USA in June 1980. "The Game" was a great commercial success upon release and generally received favorable reviews too.

Compared to "Jazz (1978)", "The Game" is quite different sounding. While the former featured quite a few hard rock tracks with edgy riffing, the latter is more of a sophisticated pop/rock album. Of course such a simple description of Queen´s music is somewhat ridiculous, as they are eclectic beyond eclectic and their music features so many different elements, moods and atmospheres. That´s also the case with "The Game", but it´s like they´ve toned down their most wild theatrical/progressive ideas and gone with a more commercial mainstream sound on this one. It´s starts out pretty interesting with "Play the Game" and "Another One Bites the Dust" is of course also a "classic", but there are not many highlights on the album. In fact I´d say that even though the musiciaship as usual are on a high level and the sound production and songwriting professional, most of the tracks on the album come off unremarkable to my ears. Sure "The Game" is a decent listen and there´s nothing offensively bad on the album, but I´m not feeling Queen´s usual burning passion on this one.

"The Game" is a step down from anything Queen released in the seventies. The few glimpses of excellence on the album are not enough to for me to rate "The Game" higher than 3 star (60%) rating.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#890787) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013

3 stars The beginning of the end. The release of 'The Game' signalled a marked departure in style from the preceeding albums that had established Queen as recording artists. Only the two tracks that bookend the album ('The Game' and 'Save Me') retain Queen's vintage trademark sound, the remainder being ... (read more)

Report this review (#904640) | Posted by Richard W | Saturday, February 02, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 8/10 The game in question here is to adapt your style. But how they do it so brilliantly. Queen broad policy of non-synthesizers and makes other minor changes in an attempt to be further embraced by critics and audiences. And they succeeded! The 80s was a terror to proggers, and those who ... (read more)

Report this review (#707394) | Posted by voliveira | Tuesday, April 03, 2012 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The Game ? 1980 (2.8/5) 10 ? Best Song: Dragon Attack How many solid artists (and I can't deny, through all their faults, that Queen are a solid band) totally gaffed, crashed and burned miserably in the 1980s? Why? Well the traits of cheesy arena rock and new wave and synth pop came in. It ... (read more)

Report this review (#445879) | Posted by Alitare | Wednesday, May 11, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The year is 1980. Queen's music was becoming more commercial. They were starting to make the transition to pop music. Many people think that pop music=bad but that is not the case. This album is surely not as bad as everybody says. It is actually quite good. This album is not prog in any way and ... (read more)

Report this review (#162765) | Posted by | Tuesday, February 26, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Most people here seem to disregard this album, because it started the new era of Queen, with more pop-oriented and radio friendly music, but I really don't mind as long as music they create is really good. Most prog bands went into pop in the eightes but probably non one of them did it so succesfull ... (read more)

Report this review (#102760) | Posted by nuncjusz | Tuesday, December 12, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Well I can be short about this album. It's a reasonable good album with some very good songs on it, all in the rock and Roll style, but on the whole I can't get really excited about it. the album produced some great hits for Queen. I remember hearing a longer version of Another One Bites The ... (read more)

Report this review (#92139) | Posted by tuxon | Tuesday, September 26, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Is this a great album?? Yes it is. If you are expecting something like another "Opera" or "Races" you will NOT find it here. Nor does it sound like "News Of The World" or "Jazz" for that matter. Any die-hard Queen fan will tell you that the beauty behind what Queen does is the fact that they ... (read more)

Report this review (#70542) | Posted by silversaw | Sunday, February 26, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars You know what I like of the reviews...Everybody can express their feelings on a records (good or bad) always supporting your point of view...Funny that I gave this 3 stars while others gave it 2 or 1 (someone could give 5 stars)...I would not say that is unfair, wrong, good or excellent, but i ... (read more)

Report this review (#41847) | Posted by Carlos | Saturday, August 06, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars OK NOT all Queen records can be called "progressive". I don't mind about categories, Queen never cared about it too. They changed their sound, the 70's were over and if they still would have sounded like on "A day at the races" no-one would care about Queen anymore. So "The Game" is just ano ... (read more)

Report this review (#41090) | Posted by | Sunday, July 31, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars actual rating- 1.5. This is the album where Queen started to be crappy pop junk. It has its (very few) ok moments, including the Opening semi title track, which features melodic Queen at its best. However the rest of the album is all pop junk, with a few alright moments. If you're expectin ... (read more)

Report this review (#41056) | Posted by | Sunday, July 31, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of QUEEN "The Game"