Marillion Brave - The Film album cover

DVD/Video, released in 2004

1. Bridge
2. Living with the Big Lie
3. Runaway
4. Goodbye to All That (Pt3 - The opium den, Pt 4 - The slide, Pt 5 - Standing in the swing)
5. Hard as Love
6. The Hollow Man
7. Alone Again in the Lap of Luxury (Now wash your hands)
8. Brave
9. The Great Escape (Pt1 - The last of you)
10. Fallin' from the moon
11. The Great Escape (Orchestral)

Total Time: approx. 80 min

Reissued on DVD August 2004
DVD PAL: EMI 7243 5 99780 9 3

additional info:
DVD contains subtitles in French,German,Spanish,Italian & Dutch

Thanks to Grendelbox for the addition

MARILLION MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MARILLION Brave - The Film Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Radiation 2013Radiation 2013
EMI 2014
Sounds That Can't Be MadeSounds That Can't Be Made
Deluxe Edition
Eagle Records 2012

More places to buy MARILLION music online Buy MARILLION & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MARILLION DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MARILLION Brave - The Film ratings distribution

MARILLION Brave - The Film reviews

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars Harrowing

Care should be taken when approaching this release. This is not a concert video, indeed the band only appear from time to time on it. This is effectively an elongated video intended to complement and illustrate the story of the album.

The original studio version of "Brave" forms the soundtrack to this hour long film. Some brief dialogue in the form of a doctor's questions and findings has been added to embellish the story, but none of the characters actually speak to camera as such. The story is the harrowing tale of the life of a young girl growing up and slipping into the seedy world of sex and drugs. She is rapidly driven to attempt suicide by jumping from the Severn Bridge, which links Wales to England. There are graphic representations of sexual assault and the devastating side effects of drug taking, with the disturbing nature of the story-line being ever present.

On occasions, the band make ill advised but thankfully fleeting appearances miming to the soundtrack. Steve Hogarth looks particularly uncomfortable attempting to lip sync his vocals.

Whether or not the film adds anything to the music is questionable. For me, the "Brave" album is already over-laden with gloom, and is not among my favourites by the band. While the cinematography is artistic, using both black and white and colour segments to paint the picture, the story is rather weak and unoriginal.

Quite who Marillion thought would be attracted to a film of this nature is something of an enigma. Even if it had enjoyed a wide release, I cannot envisage many being converted to the band's music after being thoroughly depressed by this turgid affair.

The DVD comes complete with a "Making of" section, which seeks to explain the logic behind the film. It includes band rehearsals plus a brief letting their hair down jam at the end. The members talk about the history of the band, touring, and of course the "Brave" album. They are very keen to show that they do have a sense of humour, but they are clearly deadly serious when it comes to the music.

One for committed Marillion fans, and manic depressives only.

Review by Finnforest
2 stars Ayers and Marillion deserved much better

This is really one of the most uncomfortable video watching experiences I've had in some time. Not because of the thematic elements of the storyline but because I was embarrassed for the band that they were talked into this. Understand that this rating is not about the music, much of which I find pretty good actually. But this video is incredibly corny, simplistic, poorly acted, and serves only to undermine the successful album. I can't believe they released this. You have something similar in style to Kate Bush's "The Red Shoes" mixing the storyline with fantasy, narrative, and band. But Bush was more successful because the concept video was more convincing (slightly), her full presence inside the story rather than this where Marillion "pops in" every so often to mime words and look completely out of place. The young actress (Josie Ayers) playing the lead is the one bright spot as she is really giving it her all, but she can't save this from the rest of the cast or the predictable, poorly conceived disaster. There are some nice moments here and there when Ayers is alone with the camera and the music but they are too few and far between. The visual effects are of course dated now but I don't hold that against it at all, that happens. But the fact is that this was dead on arrival from the time of release. And judging from the looks on some of the actors and band members faces throughout you can almost feel them thinking the same thing. Sad really, because such interesting material should have been given much more. There was a great visual document to be made with this album-and this was not it.

4 stars I knew that I was going to love the movie simply because Marillion always does great things. Sure, the acting isn't fabulous (especially the boyfriend and all the retarded faces he makes in the sex scene. it's hilarious to watch, though!) but it doesn't really take away from the feel of the co ... (read more)

Report this review (#60562) | Posted by | Saturday, December 17, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I always read bad reviews of this DVD, so I decided to bought it. I must say is an excellent visual companion for one of best conceptual discs of Marillion. It is a history simple and easy to understand, with enough touching and dramatic moments. If you like the band you must have this. Attent ... (read more)

Report this review (#57292) | Posted by Edward Inostroz | Monday, November 21, 2005 | Review Permanlink

1 stars I bought this DVD when I went to Singapore 5 months ago. I bought it at Tower Records. I was surprised when the cashier asked me for my passport. I newly realized that the DVD is for adult. Luckily, the cashier understood about my problem so finally she sold the DVD. That's about my experience ... (read more)

Report this review (#46163) | Posted by Fernandi | Saturday, September 10, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MARILLION "Brave - The Film"