SLAVES AND MASTERS

Good, but non-essential

Buy DEEP PURPLE Music
Studio Album, released in 1990

1. King Of Dreams (5:30)
2. The Cut Runs Deep (5:42)
3. Fire In The Basement (4:43)
4. Truth Hurts (5:14)
5. Breakfast In Bed (5:16)
6. Love Conquers All (3:47)
7. Fortuneteller (5:45)
8. Too Much Is Not Enough (4:19)
9. Wicked Ways (6:35)

-Jon Lord / organ, keyboards, string arrangements
-Ian Paice / drums, centre forward
-Joe Lynn Turner / vocals, midfield

Credits:
Track 1,4-6 - Blackmore/Glover/Turner; Track 2,3,7,9 - Blackmore/Glover/Turner/Lord/Paice;
Track 8 - Turner/Held/Greenwood.

Recorded in early/mid 1990 at Greg Rike Productions in Orlando, Florida. Additional recordings at Sountec Studios Inc. and the Powerstation in New York. Engineered by Nick Blagona; assisted by Peter Hodgson and Mathew Lamonica. Mixed by Nick Blagona and Roger Glover; assisted by Don Gelbert. Mastered at sterling Sound by Greg Calbi.

Thanks to The Miracle for the addition

DEEP PURPLE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DEEP PURPLE Slaves And Masters Music

Very Best of Deep PurpleVery Best of Deep Purple
Rhino 2000
In Concert '72 (2012 Remix)In Concert '72 (2012 Remix)
Rhino/Parlophone 2014
Import · Remastered
EMI 1995
Machine HeadMachine Head
Warner Bros / Wea 1990
Made In Japan (Limited Edition Deluxe Boxed Set)Made In Japan (Limited Edition Deluxe Boxed Set)
Box set
Rhino 2014
BurnBurn
Rhino 2005
Who Do We Think We AreWho Do We Think We Are
Rhino 2002
FireballFireball
Rhino Flashback 2008
Total Abandon: Australia '99 by Deep Purple (CD, 2012, Eagle) US $7.99 Buy It Now 31m 44s
DEEP PURPLE 24 CARAT PURPLE WARNER P-10029W Japanese pressing OBI PROMO Vinyl LP US $12.50 [7 bids]
34m 28s
DEEP PURPLE BEST OF POLYDOR MP 2103 Japanese pressing Vinyl LP US $100.99 [9 bids]
35m 43s
DEEP PURPLE BURN WARNER P-8419W Japanese Pressing Vinyl LP US $9.77 [18 bids]
36m 31s
DEEP PURPLE PERKS AND TIT US $39.99 Buy It Now 37m 10s
DEEP PURPLE IN CONCERT TRASH TRSH-3001/2 Japanese pressing OBI Vinyl 2LP US $21.50 [8 bids]
37m 37s
DEEP PURPLE IN ROCK WARNER P-8020W Japanese pressing Vinyl LP US $12.50 [11 bids]
39m 4s
DEEP PURPLE LAST CONCERT IN JAPAN WARNER P-10370W JAPAN OBI PROMO Vinyl LP US $36.00 [9 bids]
40m 14s
DEEP PURPLE IN CONCERT 1970/1972 JAPAN 2CD wOBI 2800yen US $49.99 Buy It Now 40m 17s
DEEP PURPLE LIVE AND RARE TRASH TRSH-2009 Japanese pressing OBI Vinyl LP US $16.50 [11 bids]
41m 20s
DEEP PURPLE LIVE IN JAPAN WARNER P-5066/7W Japanese pressing Vinyl 2LP US $14.27 [9 bids]
41m 56s
DEEP PURPLE MACHINE HEAD WARNER P-8224W Japanese pressing Vinyl LP US $16.77 [12 bids]
43m 3s
DEEP PURPLE MADE IN EUROPE WARNER P-10262W Japanese Pressing PROMO Vinyl LP US $11.50 [5 bids]
43m 54s
DEEP PURPLE WHEN WE ROCK,WE ROCK AND WHEM WE ROLL,WE ROLL JAPAN OBI PROMO LP US $11.50 [8 bids]
44m 30s
DEEP PURPLE -Golden Hit KOREA Only LP Blue cvr US $14.99 Buy It Now 49m 4s
Original 1968 Deep Purple The Book Of Taliesysn LP Album Vinyl Record T-107 US $59.99 Buy It Now 49m 13s
45 RPM Record DEEP PURPLE BY NINO TEMPO & APRIL STEVENS US $8.00 Buy It Now 50m 37s
LP DEEP PURPLE Greatest Purple 2LP, ONLY GERMANY, EX+/MINT- US $23.04 [11 bids]
54m 1s
Deep Purple - Made In Europe [Vinyl New] US $29.51 Buy It Now 55m 9s
Deep Purple In Rock - Anniversary Edition Dutch CD album (CDLP) 834019.2 1995 US $29.85 Buy It Now 59m 21s
Deep Purple Deep Purple + insert vinyl LP album record Japanese FCPA1034 US $117.66 Buy It Now 1h
DEEP PURPLE Slaves And Masters Digipak CD With 3 Bonus Tracks NEW US $15.27 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Deep Purple CD album (CDLP) Colour Collection German 9839387 UNIVERSAL 2006 US $21.31 Buy It Now 1h 13m
DEEP PURPLE Who Do We Think We Are UK LP Vinyl 1973 Orig 1st Press Porky Peckie US $18.08 [0 bids]
Funky Junction Play A Tribute To Deep Purple vinyl LP album record UK MER373 US $49.40 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Ian Gillan Band: Live at Budokan Vol. 1 & 2 UK 2xLP, Deep Purple US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Call Of The Wild Deep Purple 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) Japanese 13MM7043 US $57.92 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Deep Purple - Total Rock Review [2006] [DVD], Very Good DVD, , US $7.93 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Ian Gillian - Gillian's Inn - Japan CD /DVD W/OBI - Deep Purple US $5.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple Anthems CD album (CDLP) Dutch SI998962 DISKY Sealed US $10.41 Buy It Now 1h 35m
UK prog heavy rock DoLP DEEP PURPLE - In Concert / Italian original !! US $2.88 [0 bids]
UK prog heavy rock LP DEEP PURPLE - Burn / German Club - Sonderauflage US $2.88 [1 bids]
UK prog heavy rock LP DEEP PURPLE - Machine Head / German early 2nd pressing !! US $2.88 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - 1968 - "The Book Of Taliesyn" -On the coveted Tetragrammaton label US $9.89 [0 bids]
Deep Purple Who do We Think We Are original mint French Purple Recs 1973 US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 54m
UK prog heavy rock LP DEEP PURPLE - In Rock / German "Hör Zu" original pressing US $2.88 [1 bids]
Deep Purple - Concerto For Group And Orchestra NEW 2CD US $15.44 Buy It Now 1h 54m
UK psych rock LP DEEP PURPLE - The Book Of Taliesyn / German 2nd pressing !! US $4.25 [3 bids]
UK psych rock LP DEEP PURPLE - Shades Of / US original !! US $3.23 [2 bids]
Deep Purple Stormbringer mint original German Purple records beautiful US $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Billy Ward And His Dominoes Deep Purple/Do It Again LB-769 45 RPM Vinyl US $25.00 Buy It Now 2h
DEEP PURPLE strange kind of woman/i'm alone HAR 5033 uk harvest 1971 7" WS EX/ US $11.59 Buy It Now 2h 6m
BILLY WARD & His DOMINOES ~ Deep Purple / Do It Again - 7" Single - Doo Wop US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 9m
DEEP PURPLE DEBUT (1ST LP) ULTRA RARE SHADES OF DEEP PURPLE HUSH NEAR MINT US $89.89 Buy It Now 2h 16m
DEEP PURPLE ORIGINAL 1970 UK LP DEEP PURPLE IN ROCK NO E.M.I. LOGO US $85.31 Buy It Now 2h 19m
LP Deep Purple - Ochutnavka 1978 Czech press EX/EX US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 20m
? Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers (Mercury 824 003) (with "Mean Streak") US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 25m
Bing Crosby 78 RPM Record "Star Dust/Deep Purple" US $18.99 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Deep Purple ~ Come Hell or High Water ~ CD RCA - SEALED - LIVE US $7.97 Buy It Now 2h 40m
DEEP PURPLE HUSH 45 MOD FREAKBEAT CLASSIC HAMMOND ORGAN US $16.99 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Deepest Purple - Deep Purple (CD 1989) US $9.77 Buy It Now 2h 42m
Deep Purple Phoenix Rising Blu Ray Rock Music Video Brand NEW Sealed US $37.52 Buy It Now 2h 47m
Deep Purple - Machine Head (cassette) US $13.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
Deep Purple Record Album Combo US $40.00 [0 bids]
Deep Purple Stormbringer vinyl LP original inner sleeve promo Warner Brothers US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 53m
DEEP PURPLE -Powerhouse TURKISH PRESSING LP US $50.00 Buy It Now 3h
DEEP PURPLE COME TASTE 35TH ARGENTINA DJ PRO sealed 2CD US $85.61 Buy It Now 3h 2m
RARE OOP DEEP PURPLE PROMO GERMANY IMPORT CD DAYS MAY COME 1975 CA REHERSALS OOP US $19.99 [0 bids]
Alice Cooper,Deep Purple,Toto,Jethro Tull,Sweet,Billy Idol +More- SEALED U.S. cd US $9.72 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Deep Purple - Collection [EMI] (1997) US $4.27 Buy It Now 3h 12m
James Gang Miami PROMO 12" vinyl LP '74 ATCO SD36102 rock bolin deep purple US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 14m
CD POINT BLANK The Hard Way + Bonus Live Tracks / Southern Rock Deep Purple US $36.00 [2 bids]
Deep Purple Made In Japan G/F 12" vinyl LP UK Import Purple Records rock US $49.99 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Deep Purple House of the Blue Light SEALED 12" vinyl Original 87 rock Gillan US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Whitesnake Live In the Heart of the City 12" vinyl LP rock deep purple alaska US $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Whitesnake Live In Heart of the City 12" vinyl 2 LP 80 German Import deep purple US $11.00 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Nino Tempo & April Stevens: "Deep Purple" - their '63 Teener - nice - plays well US $1.50 [0 bids]
Deep Purple - The Book of Taliesyn 12" LP Reissue US $18.00 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE LP, Deep Purple (TETRAGRAMMATON US Issue NM/NM) US $23.72 Buy It Now 3h 23m
DEEP PURPLE LP, House Of Blue Light (POLYGRAM US Issue NM/NM) US $22.01 Buy It Now 3h 23m
DEEP PURPLE LP, Shades Of Deep Purple (TETRAGRAMMATON US Issue NM/NM) US $25.43 Buy It Now 3h 23m
DEEP PURPLE LP, The Book Of Taliesyn (TETRAGRAMMATON US Issue NM/NM) US $23.72 Buy It Now 3h 23m
DEEP PURPLE - THE COLLECTION - CD US $4.50 Buy It Now 3h 25m
DEEP PURPLE ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA / JAPAN TOSHIBA ORIGINAL US $199.99 Buy It Now 3h 25m
Deep Purple & Friends 2-CD Box NEW SEALED Ian Gillan Band/Dio/Roger Glover US $10.22 Buy It Now 3h 33m
VG+ BILLY WARD DEEP PURPLE/STARDUST 45 RPM LIBERTY 54505 US $4.98 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Deep Purple Who Do We Think We Are LP 73 Prog Rock Purple 2C 064-94 140 vg+/vg++ US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 34m
USSR VINTAGE vinyl RECORD.DEEP PURPLE.THE HOUSE OF BLUE US $10.62 Buy It Now 3h 38m
DEEP PURPLE IN ROCK 1ST PRESS ORANGE HARVEST SUPER RARE!!! LP ISRAEL US $39.99 Buy It Now 3h 44m
25 LP VINYL RECORD ALBUMS 1960's 2 of 2 The Ventures Tom Jones Deep Purple LOT US $4.99 [0 bids]
9 USED ROCK CD's. ELTON JOHN, JEFF. AIRPLANE, JOPLIN, CROW, ELP, DEEP PURPLE,ETC US $9.99 [0 bids]
IAN GILLAN LARGE VINTAGE METAL PIN BADGE FROM THE 1970's DEEP PURPLE US $11.93 Buy It Now 3h 49m
CD Deep Purple - Live At Montreux 1996 (Rare Brazil Press, Incl. 2 Bonus Tracks) US $12.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE:BLACK NIGHT/SPEED KING:(HARVEST 1970) VGC/EX US $23.87 Buy It Now 4h 18m
Deep Purple The Early Years UK Advance 15-Trak Promo CD US $18.99 Buy It Now 4h 19m
DEEP PURPLE - When We Rock, We Rock and When We Roll, We Roll US $6.00 Buy It Now 4h 22m
Deep Purple Perfect Strangers (1984) Peter Frampton Frampton comes alive US $0.75 [0 bids]
1972 DEEP PURPLE - MACHINE HEAD 12"LP (G) 1ST EDITION VINYL RECORD - WARNER BROS US $4.25 [0 bids]
RARE FRENCH SP DEEP PURPLE STORMBRINGER US $6.99 [0 bids]
RARE FRENCH SP JUKEBOX DEEP PURPLE CORONARIAS REDIG US $6.99 [0 bids]
Bing Crosby Star Dust/Deep Purple US $10.00 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE-Machine Head-LP-Purple/EMI Records Australian issue-G/Fold-TPSA 7504 US $26.20 Buy It Now 4h 46m
1968 ORIGINAL PRESSING SEALED! Deep Purple "Book Of Taliesyn" LP US $68.00 Buy It Now 4h 52m
IAN GILLAN-Naked Thunder-HARD-Rock-HEAVY METAL-Black Sabbath-DEEP PURPLE-Guitar US $7.49 Buy It Now 5h
NINO TEMPO / APRIL STEVENS LP, Deep Purple (ATCO US Issue EX/EX) US $25.43 Buy It Now 5h 11m
Live And Heavy (Deep Purple, Motorhead, Rainbow) - Vinyl LP NM US $13.99 Buy It Now 5h 25m
Shades of DEEP PURPLE 1968-1998 Rhino 1999 Deluxe Oop 4 CD Box 70s US $41.97 Buy It Now 5h 38m
YNGWIE J. MALMSTEEN'S RISING FORCE - LP - DEEP PURPLE RAINBOW STEELER US $3.99 [1 bids]
LP Record - Deep Purple - Made In Japan US $59.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "Fireball" CD, 2008 Rhino Flashback (Ian Gillan/Ritchie Blackmore) US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 46m

More places to buy DEEP PURPLE music online Buy DEEP PURPLE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DEEP PURPLE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DEEP PURPLE Slaves And Masters ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(7%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(13%)

DEEP PURPLE Slaves And Masters reviews

Review by Gatot
4 stars This is the only album of Deep Purple with Joe Lynn Turner as lead vocalist - and I don't have any problem at all with it. His voice is clear and powerful. All tracks for me are good. The opening track is an interesting one to enjoy as it has god combination of keyboard and guitar work in medium tempo style. Turner's voice is suitable for this track. My best favorite track of this album is "The Cut Runs Deep" - it has all power that typically early Deep Purple has in quite fast tempo. The song has great energy and strong melody. Especially, I love the music riffs combined with dynamic drumming. Whenever I hear this song, my memory refresh back to my days when I installed offshore oil and gas platform for Total Indonesie at Tambora Tunu, East Borneo, Indonesia. Why? Because during the two months offshore installation, I practically only listened to two cassettes: Deep Purple "Slaves and Masters" and God Bless "The Story of". And, The Cut Runs Deep was my spirit for the difficult days I struggled to manage demanding client's requests. What an experience! So I just sung "The cut runs deep .!!!" Wow! It elevated my emotion man.!!!

"Love Conquers All" is a very nice ballad and also "Fortuneteller". The other excellent track that I also like is "Wicked Ways".

Yeah, you may discount my rating to 3 stars because this album is too personal for me. Working in remote area, offshore, for two months with practically no entertainment but those two cassettes - what can I expect? But for sure this is definitely not a less-than- three-stars album.

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#95196) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 20, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars Mark V. A short and pityfull episode.

Another album without Gillan as lead vocalist. For me, Gillan IS the Purple's voice (even if I liked very much Coverdale/Hughes). On this one, Joe Lynn Turner (second's choice vocalist in Rainbow after Dio) does what he can. But definitely, he won't be remembered as a highlight in the Purple's catalogue. When you listen to the opener "King Of Dreams", the worse is to be expected : this song is as crappy as it can be. Not rocking enough, melodyless : in one word : boring.

"The Cut Runs Deep" is more hard rock oriented, but weak. It could be a great song for a B or C class rock bands, but from the Purple, I guess that the fan is expecting more. At least it is quite rocking and one of the very few average tracks of this album. It is really irrelevant to go through each song (even briefly like I do for most of my reviews).

Most of them are useless ("Too Much Is Not Enough" probably reaching the nadir of this album). I really deserve a bonus to have endured having listened three times in a row to the full album for the purpose of this review. I doubt I will do this ever again. By doing so, one is still rewarded because the closing number "Wicked Ways" is the second good number of this CD : sustained rythm, hard rocking, nice melody like a Purple fan like. But don't expect anything great.

I am a fan of the Deep since December 1970. I have almost their entire official catalogue and some boots as well (about ten). I still go and see them in concerts nowadays. So, yes : you can tell I am a HUGE fan. But when it is crappy, one has to say it (unfortunately each of the "monsters" has produced one - or more - of that vein during their carreers (Yes, Genesis, Tull, Tramp, ELO etc.). Fortunately, Purple only produced one so far (more to come, unfortunately).

I guess that the fact that this album did receive some high ratings is due to the fact that some "veteran" fans preferred not to rate it. I have chosen (as for almost each band I will review) to go through their albums all the way long : great, average, poor or even worse might be their releases. It will "peak" at Nr. 45 in the UK (Nr. 87 in the US).

This is the Purple worst release. Stay away form this one. A single star.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#107299) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 12, 2007

Review by Gooner
4 stars This sounds like a Joe-Lynn Turner-era RAINBOW album which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Pretty good follow-up to Rainbow's "Bent Out Of Shape". Highlights are "Fire In The Basement"(this one was played quite a bit on the Detroit airwaves)...and "Fortuneteller" which is quintessential Blackmore-composition. "Truth Hurts" has some great toned guitar from Ritchie Blackmore and of Joe Lynn Turner's finest vocal performances. If you like later Rainbow, this gets 4 stars. If you like Deep Purple only, I'd give it 3 stars. However, since I like both, it gets a 4 star rating. A competent and personal favourite recording by the Purps!

Send comments to Gooner (BETA) | Report this review (#139497) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 21, 2007

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars The only football team in history to have a string arrangement

"Slaves and masters" is an interesting Deep Purple album in that it is the only one by the band to feature Joe Lynn Turner on lead vocals. Recorded in 1990 this was the follow up to the excellent "Perfect strangers" and the adequate "House of blue light" recorded by the reformed classic line up. Only Ian Gillan is missing here, but with Blackmore, Glover and Turner all present, this could just as easily have been a Rainbow release.

Turner turns his hand to the song writing straight away, being the only band member to have a hand in every track. Blackmore and Glover are not far behind though, missing out on just "Too much is not enough", with Lord and Paice chipping in from time to time.

While first impressions are that this album does indeed have more to do with Rainbow than Deep Purple, that view is largely swayed by Turner's vocals. Deep Purple had also been following a more straightforward AOR rock path of late, making "Slaves and masters" an equally natural successor to the immediately precedent DP albums.

The opening "King of dreams" is a mid-paced "Perfect strangers" (the song) like number with Jon Lord providing some strong symphonic keyboards. Blackmore takes an early opportunity to slip in some instantly recognisable lead guitar, the track having a pleasing atmosphere. "The cut runs deep" offers Jon Lord a chance to make his organ the dominant instrument, the track being driven along by him in fine fashion. Unfortunately, the fade on the track is unsatisfactory and clumsy.

"Fire in the basement" will never win any awards for lyrical subtlety, apparently following on from the basic innuendoes of "Knocking at your back door". The song has echoes of "Lazy" in the lighter happy rock it portrays.

There is of course the obligatory ballad, "Fortune teller" fitting the bill adequately without ever really getting going. "Love conquers all" (no relation to the similarly titled Yes song) is another in a similar mode, but thankfully more satisfactory. Blackmore's swirling guitar adds an extra dimension to this Journey like number.

"Breakfast in bed" sounds for all the world like a Free song, Turner doing a passable impression of Paul Rogers. The closing "Wicked ways" has vague prog sensibilities with a slight variation of pace and some effective strings supporting Blackmore's soaring guitar. It is also the longest track on the album at around 6½ minutes, makeing for a fitting climax to an enjoyable album.

The completely different vocal style and sound of Turner can be a little hard to digest for those who are seeking to hear the familiar tones of Ian Gillan. It is perhaps therefore necessary to put any preconceptions aside, and assess this album only on its own merits. On that basis, there is little in the way of prog here, but there is a collection of good quality melodic rock.

The sleeve mugshots of the band members include football positions as part of their description, Blackmore being a winger, Paice is Centre forward, Turner is midfield and Glover defender. Strangely, Jon Lord does not appear to have been selected for the team, his position being "String arrangements"!

Turner would be sacked after the release of this album, leaving the way open for Gillan to return to the fold yet again.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#144538) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 14, 2007

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
1 stars It says Deep Purple on the cover, but it sure sounds like Joe Lynn Turner-era Rainbow!

I really don't like Joe Lynn Turner; I don't like what he did to Rainbow, I don't like what he did to Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force and I don't like what he did to Deep Purple. Turner's voice lends itself very well to slick AOR, but not to Metal of any kind. The real blame must, however, fall on Ritchie Blackmore and Roger Glover for bringing Turner with them from Rainbow into Deep Purple and also on Jon Lord and Ian Paice for allowing it all to happen! What were they trying to do? Turn Deep Purple into 80's-era Rainbow? What was the point of that? I'm a big fan of Ronnie James Dio-era Rainbow, but the Joe Lynn Turner-era of that band I find very disappointing. But even those worst Rainbow albums are superior to this "Deep Purple" album. Had Slaves And Master been released in the mid-80's, straight after Rainbow's Bent Out Of Shape album, it would perhaps have been understandable. But to do this Rainbow clone in 1990 after the first reunion that resulted in Perfect Strangers and later House Of Blue Light is strange to say the least.

I will not comment of each individual track here as they all sound pretty much the same to my ears. And if you have heard the 80's Rainbow albums, you know just what this sounds like (only worse!). However, the closing track Wicked Ways is the best song here having a symphonic touch and with a bit more room left for instrumental work outs. For the rest of the songs, Blackmore, Lord, Glover, Paice and Turner seem to be on autopilot and lacking in inspiration. Not surprisingly, this line-up was a one-off and for the next album Ian Gillan would return once more and the battle raged on?

Had this been a Rainbow album ? it sure sounds like one ? it would have been the worst Rainbow album. Now, it will have to be deemed the worst Deep Purple album instead!

Avoid!

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#177523) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 21, 2008

Review by b_olariu
3 stars A good album to my ears

Deep Purple enter in the '90's full of potential , not necessarly with strong and intristing ideas , but with pozitive attitude for sure. Slaves and masters was the first DP album of the '90 and one their best from that decade (i simply don't enjoy very much the Morse era) with hard rock atmosphere combined very well with AOR sounds and elements. On this album we have as vocalist John Lynn Turner, who made his contribution on 3 studio Rainbow albums and one live in early to mid '80's and on Odyssey of Malmsteen from 1988, befor joyning DP boat. Well the album is not average as many said , quite contrary is a good hard rocking album with strong vocal parts and tight musicianship, of course not as great as the '70's DP albums but nevertheless a good album with strong pieces. Slaves and masters is a little weaker than the predecesor House of blue light, who was for me, a truly solid come back of this legendary band, better than perfect stranger from 3 years before. About the tracks here, we have everything from slow to mid tempo to faster pieces, the progressive elements are none, but doesn't stop to be good album all the way. The Cut Runs Deep and Wicked Ways reminds me of good old Rainbow (with Turner at voice), in fact this album is very much alike with Bent out of shape of Rainbow (last studio album with Turner ) from 1983. So , finally a good Deep Purple album, nothing really special like early years , but a decent and very well played album in hard rock meets AOR tradition. Every musician is top notch and delivering strong moments on each instrument. 3 stars for Slaves and masters.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#215273) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Review by The Quiet One
3 stars AOR created by one of the founders of Heavy Prog..

Slaves & Masters is Deep Purple's most uneven album, sounding sometimes way too similar to Turner-Rainbow-era, while it's not mainly the fact of having Joe on vocal duties, which by the way is a great singer, though a bit more in the AOR-ish style than in the Heavy Rock realm of vocalists, the similaritie is due to Ritchie's song-writing, being very parallel to that of Rainbow from some few years back. The riffs, the chorus', etc..

However, for Deep Purple standards this is not that of a low-weight, due to previous release, The House of Blue Light, which was simply weak. Slaves & Masters is not weak, on the contrary is the pretty fresh for Deep Purple's catalogue, and makes a place of it's own, while by no means in the heights of their 70's classics, first of all because the music in here is not Heavy Rock, second Jon Lord's organ is layed-back, definitely something not usual for DP, and last but not least, there's the, sort-of, cheesy feel due to Joe's vocals, however like I said earlier, he's not a bad singer at all, he's just not meant for Deep Purple.

To finalise this short review, I'll just mention some highlights which can stand pretty well alongside the best tunes from Perfect Strangers, House of Blue Light, The Battle Rages On and of course alongside the best tunes from Rainbow-Turner era. These are: the catchy, but with a dark atmosphere ala Perfect Strangers, opener, King of Dreams; then there's the fantastic bluesy-esque Fire in the Basement, with it's killer riff, and it's mind-blowing organ solo; then there's the extremely catchy, and almost sing-along style, semi-hard rock tune, Breakfast in Bed; finally, the closer, Wicked Ways, is something worthy to check if you liked tunes from their 2 previous albums, with a very blurry prog feel, with it's short, simple, but very effective instrumental passage with strings and a guitar solo leading it, it's SO INTENSE! just make you sure to hear it with loud speakers!

All in all, the album has a good bunch of enjoyable AOR/semi-Hard Rock tunes, more than those from The House of Blue Light, and definitely more entertaining than from those.

I find it a good album, there's barely 2 songs I don't enjoy from it, so I have to give it a 3 stars rating, with the definition of a 2 stars. It's good, but definitely for fans from Deep Purple AND Rainbow.

Send comments to The Quiet One (BETA) | Report this review (#215490) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Review by tarkus1980
2 stars Well, it was only a matter of time; Ritchie kicked Ian out of the band again. In came one of Ritchie's buddies from late-period Rainbow, one Joe Lynn Turner, bringing the Mk. count up to 5. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think Joe is a bad vocalist; heck, I like him way more than I do Coverdale. Furthermore, from a pure skill standpoint, he's a big improvement over late 80's Gillan. Unfortunately, while it is kinda nice to be rid of Ian's shattered vocals, those vocals at least made me remember at all times that I was listening to Deep Purple, even if only a shadow of prime Deep Purple. With Joe at the mic, though, there's NOTHING here to make me think I'm listening to a band significant enough for me to want to review them.

You have to forgive me, oh faithful reader; I just don't know how to adequately review an album like this, mostly because I tend to avoid music like this like the plague. I know that some people like this sort of music - I've even read somebody's claim that "Love Conquers All," a generic power-ballad that makes me puke up food that doesn't yet exist, is one of the best ballads ever written. I guess the rest of the album isn't as bad as it could be - once I get past the Final Fantasy synths and "evil" ominous vocal sounds that open the album, "King of Dreams" isn't that bad, "The Cut Runs Deep" is ok (I kinda like the segue from the generic Renaissance-like opening to the generic metallic riffage), and ... uh ... well, I don't passionately hate any single track on here (except for the aforementioned power ballad). "Fire in the Basement" actually has a decent opening riff, albeit a rip of "Wring that Neck." But sheesh, even those little details don't really save these songs, and there's not much I can figure out to say otherwise in the plus column. The album, as a whole, isn't that heavy, it's not that memorable, it's ... just a smoother, less awkward, slightly less artificial- sounding version of Blue Light, except without a couple of cool riffs or great guitar solo passages.

I guess I just can't understand why Ritchie thought the world needed more generic hair metal with stupid "mystical" album covers, or why the rest of the band members decided to shed all bits of individuality they might have had left. And honestly, I just don't understand how this could have ever been what "cool" people listened to. If ever there was an album that could remind me why Nirvana was a good and necessary thing for the music world, this is it. This isn't the worst music experience of my life, but it's hardly a time I'll look back on and cherish.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#658733) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 14, 2012

4 stars 8/10 This may be a surprise that more pleasing to my ears. You see, I was quite disappointed previous offers by Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers and The House of Blue Light. Between this album, Slaves and Masters, and his predecessor, held up three years, where Ian Gillian once again left t ... (read more)

Report this review (#912063) | Posted by voliveira | Sunday, February 10, 2013 | Review Permanlink

2 stars First off let me start by saying that I'm a huge Deep Purple fan, and they were my first love in music, and are still very dear to my heart. That being said, Slaves and Masters is the worst album they have ever made in my opinion. Joe Lynn Turner is a good singer, I'll admit that. He did a good ... (read more)

Report this review (#231012) | Posted by nikow | Tuesday, August 11, 2009 | Review Permanlink

1 stars I used to love this album back when I had it on a cassette tape. Well the tape broke and I hadn't heard it in years, and of course the album was out of print for a very long time so it wasn't easy to get it. Recently I saw a new edition for 5 bucks filed under Deep Purple. It is a very crappy edit ... (read more)

Report this review (#131443) | Posted by Salviaal | Thursday, August 02, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Overall, this is a superb album. The first side (1 to 4) are all true classics, the band sound really tight and fiery, not like the old 70s stuff but in a newer, sophisticated way. "King Of Dreams" is a tense, dramatic masterpiece, with great lyrics and a chorus which knocks you for six, ... (read more)

Report this review (#122796) | Posted by analogueaddict | Saturday, May 19, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Slaves and Masters, hated by many Deep Purple fans...It's certainly not prog, but it is wonderful! Joe Lynn Turner's only album and my favorite Deep Purple album (and I'm a big Deep Purple fan). But I tend to love the stuff nobody likes. The best track on here is "Too Much is Not Enough", kick ... (read more)

Report this review (#101491) | Posted by rainbow111 | Sunday, December 03, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album never will be considered how deserves. In fact Gillan if went of it (then will return) and Coverdale is not returned. At the voice there is the too much understimated Joe Lynn Turner, that does not do to regret Gillan. The music proposal is an AOR of easy listening, but of a large c ... (read more)

Report this review (#56956) | Posted by | Friday, November 18, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DEEP PURPLE "Slaves And Masters"