SLAVES AND MASTERS

Good, but non-essential

Buy DEEP PURPLE Music
Studio Album, released in 1990

1. King Of Dreams (5:30)
2. The Cut Runs Deep (5:42)
3. Fire In The Basement (4:43)
4. Truth Hurts (5:14)
5. Breakfast In Bed (5:16)
6. Love Conquers All (3:47)
7. Fortuneteller (5:45)
8. Too Much Is Not Enough (4:19)
9. Wicked Ways (6:35)

-Jon Lord / organ, keyboards, string arrangements
-Ian Paice / drums, centre forward
-Joe Lynn Turner / vocals, midfield

Credits:
Track 1,4-6 - Blackmore/Glover/Turner; Track 2,3,7,9 - Blackmore/Glover/Turner/Lord/Paice;
Track 8 - Turner/Held/Greenwood.

Recorded in early/mid 1990 at Greg Rike Productions in Orlando, Florida. Additional recordings at Sountec Studios Inc. and the Powerstation in New York. Engineered by Nick Blagona; assisted by Peter Hodgson and Mathew Lamonica. Mixed by Nick Blagona and Roger Glover; assisted by Don Gelbert. Mastered at sterling Sound by Greg Calbi.

Thanks to The Miracle for the addition

DEEP PURPLE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DEEP PURPLE Slaves And Masters Music

Made in JapanMade in Japan
Warner Bros / Wea 1990
BurnBurn
Rhino 2005
In Concert '72 (2012 Remix)In Concert '72 (2012 Remix)
Rhino/Parlophone 2014
Hard Road: The Mark 1 Studio Recordings '1968-69'Hard Road: The Mark 1 Studio Recordings '1968-69'
Imports 2014
DEEP PURPLE UNIVERSAL MASTERS COLLECTION UKRAINIAN SPECIAL EDITION SEALED US $17.99 Buy It Now 34m 3s
Deep Purple - 'Burn' later UK Purple LP TPS3505! US $41.43 [17 bids]
36m 39s
Deep Purple-When we Rock, we Rock and When we Roll, we Roll/1978/EX very nice US $5.00 [0 bids]
42m 34s
Deep Purple Shades OF vinyl LP Odeon Records EX [Holland Import] US $55.00 Buy It Now 45m 55s
Deep Purple Self Titled S/T vinyl LP Harvest Records EX US $55.00 Buy It Now 48m 3s
DEEP PURPLE~"CONCERTO FOR GROUP AND ORCHESTRA" 1970 U.S. WARNER BROS LP 1860 US $19.99 [0 bids]
49m 32s
Original Album Classics by Deep Purple (CD, Sep-2011, 3 Discs, Sony Music Distri US $7.99 Buy It Now 53m 30s
The Usual Suspects by Joe Lynn Turner/Deep Purple/Rainbow/Al Pitrelli US $50.00 Buy It Now 56m 12s
DEEP PURPLE PERFECT STRANGERS AUTHENTIC SIGNED 12" VINYL RECORD LP DISC + COA US $56.34 [0 bids]
57m 31s
DEEP PURPLE Machine Head P-10130W LP AC2815 US $8.49 [2 bids]
Deep Purple Live Picture Disc Vinyl by Deep Purple Free Shipping! US $9.95 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Burn P-8419W LP Ae3005 US $8.49 [2 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX / POSTER" Machine Head P-10130W LP AE3024 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "POSTER" Machine Head P-10130W OBI LP AE0266 US $16.50 [7 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Burn P-10104W OBI LP Ac1846 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" 24 Carat Purple P-10029W OBI LP Ac5780 US $7.99 [0 bids]
Decades of Rock ALICE COOPER RAMONES INXS JANE'S ADDICTION DEEP PURPLE YES CHER US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
DEEP PURPLE Burn P-8419W LP Ad2739 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE/millennium collection/ sealed 2002 cd US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Last Concert in Japan P-10370W LP Ae0273 US $7.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple/Rainbow Album Lot !!!!!!! US $12.00 [0 bids]
RAY STEVENS - DEEP PURPLE / YOUNG LOVE (618) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple Smoke On The Water 2012 EU Record Store Day 7" Vinyl New RSD LP US $50.00 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Alice Cooper, Jeff Beck, Black Crowes, ZZ Top, Deep Purple -SEALED U.S. PROMO cd US $7.98 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Deep Purple - Introducing Deep Purple NEW CD US $6.61 Buy It Now 1h 32m
VINTAGE MGM LABEL "45" DONNY & MARIE OSMOND DEEP PURPLE RECORD RECORDING US $0.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Knocking at Your Back Door The Best of Deep Purple CD US $7.80 Buy It Now 1h 41m
DEEP PURPLE Greatest Hits Original & Unique 1970s KOREA TAEDO HIT LP US $49.00 Buy It Now 1h 41m
DEEP PURPLE - BOOK OF TALIESYN NEW CD US $19.20 Buy It Now 1h 41m
DEEP PURPLE - PERFECT STRANGERS LIVE - NEW DVD US $20.05 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Live in London 1974 by Deep Purple 2 CD Set Sealed US $14.20 Buy It Now 1h 48m
24K GOLD AUDIO FIDELITY Fireball by Deep Purple (CD, Sep-2010, Audio Fidelity) US $45.99 Buy It Now 1h 49m
24 K GOLD AUDIO FIDELITY Who Do We Think We Are by Deep Purple CD, Oct-2005 US $44.99 Buy It Now 1h 49m
DEEP PURPLE, The House of Blue Light CHROME UK orig. paper label TAPE CASSETTE US $0.01 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE AND THE ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA WS-1860 1970GREEN LABEL OG US $9.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Machine Head LP 1972 Warner Bros Canada Vinyl Album GD+/GD+ CLASSIC! US $8.55 Buy It Now 2h 18m
V/A Heavy Duty Vinyl LP EMI SHSP4115 Iron Maiden Riot Deep Purple Scorpions US $14.90 Buy It Now 2h 27m
DEEP PURPLE Come Taste The Band 8 Track tape US $16.88 Buy It Now 2h 27m
DEEP PURPLE Burn 8 Track tape US $14.88 Buy It Now 2h 27m
DEEP PURPLE Purple Passages 8 Track tape US $14.88 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Deep Purple Shades 4 CD Box Set 62 tracks 1968-1998 plus rarities, outtakes US $46.98 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - Come Taste The Band CD WORLD'S LOUDEST BAND!!!! WOW!!! US $0.99 [1 bids]
Deep Purple " Come Taste the Band " (Like New Remastered CD) US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 42m
Deep Purple - In Concert 1970-1972 NEW CD US $10.92 Buy It Now 2h 43m
RAPTURE OF THE DEEP Deep Purple Audio CD US $13.70 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Deep Purple "Slaves and Masters" (Like New Deluxe Remastered Limited Edition CD) US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Deep Purple " Purpendicular " (Like New CD) US $12.00 Buy It Now 2h 46m
Decca 25285 Bing Crosby Star Dust/Deep Purple 78 RPM US $0.99 [0 bids]
RAINMAN SOUNDTRACK CD ETTA JAMES IAN GILLAN DEEP PURPLE LOU CHRISTIE Tom Cruise US $0.99 [0 bids]
3h
DEEP PURPLE cd MACHINE HEAD lazy SMOKE ON THE WATER never before HIGHWAY STAR US $9.50 [0 bids]
3h
Now What - Deep Purple US $15.24 Buy It Now 3h 10m
Deep Purple and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra 1970 Stereo LP VG+/NM- OOP US $12.00 Buy It Now 3h 13m
DEEP PURPLE - MADE IN JAPAN / BLACK NIGHT - 7" SINGLE - RSD 2014 - NEW US $16.55 Buy It Now 3h 16m
DEEP PURPLE Shades of Deep Purple COLOURED Vinyl LP RSD 2014 NEW US $43.07 Buy It Now 3h 25m
Deep Purple: Live In Copenhagen 1972 [DVD] [2013] DVD US $32.41 Buy It Now 3h 28m
Mk III: The Final Concerts by Deep Purple (CD, Apr-2001, 2 Discs, Spitfire... US $8.49 Buy It Now 3h 34m
Fireball by Deep Purple (CD, Oct-1990, Warner Bros.) US $2.50 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "Come Taste The Band " NM LP US $29.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
DEEP PURPLE - THE COLLECTION - SEALED IMPORT CD NEW US $2.65 Buy It Now 4h 10m
DEEP PURPLE The Very Best of Deep Purple LP ORG. 1980 Portugal Press US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 10m
GILLAN Future Shock GATEFOLD-LP ORG. 1981 Portugal Press Deep Purple US $14.99 Buy It Now 4h 10m
Deep Purple, In Rock, Japan OBI CD, Warner WPCR-1564, 1998, Out Of Print US $20.00 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Deep Purple "Perfect Strangers" Cassette US $1.70 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Who Do We Think We Are CD Bonus Tracks RHINO 2002 record remix US $14.95 Buy It Now 4h 52m
deep purple hush/one more rainy day tetragrammaton records 1503 vg/vg+ US $30.00 Buy It Now 5h 3m
NINO TEMPO & APRIL STEVENS Reel to Reel DEEP PURPLE 1963 ATCO Stereo AOC-1405 US $17.99 Buy It Now 5h 3m
When We Rock, We Rock & When We Roll, We Roll by Deep Purple (CD, Oct-1988,... US $2.99 [0 bids]
Stranger in Us All Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow 1995 European Press Deep Purple US $10.99 Buy It Now 5h 8m
Ian Gillan Band (Deep Purple)-1977 Island "Clear Air Turbulence" UK LP-VG+/NM- US $4.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE: Hush rock vinyl US $10.00 Buy It Now 5h 11m
1998 Deep Purple Smoke On The Water Music CD Album Polygram Records 10 Tracks US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 11m
IAN GILLAN[DEEP PURPLE]-CHERKAZOO AND OTHER STORIES [NEW] US $7.99 Buy It Now 5h 19m
DEEP PURPLE 30th Very Best Of Limited Edition 2 LP purple vinyl US $40.00 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - MADE IN JAPAN , VG ,double lp, GATEFOLD vinyl, Blackmore US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - WHO DO WE THINK WE ARE , VG+ ,lp, GATEFOLD vinyl, Blackmore, Lord US $4.99 [0 bids]
Gillan, "Nightmare", Ian Gillan, UK, 45rpm, 7inch single, Deep Purple US $3.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple When We Rock, We Rock & When We Roll, We Roll CD US $6.50 Buy It Now 5h 31m
Deep Purple "Perfect Strangers" (Vintage Vinyl LP,1984) US $4.95 Buy It Now 5h 32m
Slaves and Masters by Deep Purple (CD, Oct-1990, RCA) US $2.50 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Smoke On The Water Vinyl 7" U.S. 45 Orig1973 Mint- W/ Sleeve US $3.99 Buy It Now 5h 48m
DEEP PURPLE - HUSH / YARDBIRDS - FOR YOUR LOVE 45 RPM JUKEBOX SERIES UNPLAYED US $10.00 Buy It Now 5h 56m
DEEP PURPLE: The Best of (Rock & Pop Scepter CTN-18010 VG+ Vinyl LP) US $12.00 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Deep Purple Hard Road / Kentucky Woman 45 Hard Rock US $0.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Now What+1 bonus track CD US $7.49 Buy It Now 5h 59m
Deep Purple Smoke on the Water 2 version 45 Hard Rock US $0.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - 1990-1996 (IMPORT) NEW CD US $35.20 Buy It Now 6h
Lot 2 hard rock 7" DEEP PURPLE Kentucky Woman Hush EXC Tetragrammaton US $9.95 Buy It Now 6h 2m
DEEP PURPLE: 24 Carat Purple UK pressing rock vinyl US $14.00 Buy It Now 6h 3m
DEEP PURPLE: Who Do We Think We Are (rock vinyl LP BS-2678) US $15.00 Buy It Now 6h 5m
Deep Purple Last Concert In Japan Ex. Japan Import !! US $12.99 [1 bids]
Deep Purple and Royal Philharmonic Orchestra mini LP SHM-CD japan NEW US $48.99 Buy It Now 6h 6m
Billy Ward & Dominoes Stardust / Deep Purple 45 NM CR-6736 Canada US $9.95 Buy It Now 6h 9m
DEEP PURPLE-Perfect Strangers vinyl LP 1984 excellent + US $15.00 [0 bids]
Radio Show: FLASHBACK! 4/30/01 JIMI HENDRIX, DEEP PURPLE, RIDE RIDER, CARS, BAND US $15.99 Buy It Now 6h 14m
Shades Of Deep Purple Vinyl Album US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h 21m
Deep Purple Vinyl Album US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h 21m

More places to buy DEEP PURPLE music online Buy DEEP PURPLE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DEEP PURPLE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DEEP PURPLE Slaves And Masters ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(6%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(13%)

DEEP PURPLE Slaves And Masters reviews

Review by Gatot
4 stars This is the only album of Deep Purple with Joe Lynn Turner as lead vocalist - and I don't have any problem at all with it. His voice is clear and powerful. All tracks for me are good. The opening track is an interesting one to enjoy as it has god combination of keyboard and guitar work in medium tempo style. Turner's voice is suitable for this track. My best favorite track of this album is "The Cut Runs Deep" - it has all power that typically early Deep Purple has in quite fast tempo. The song has great energy and strong melody. Especially, I love the music riffs combined with dynamic drumming. Whenever I hear this song, my memory refresh back to my days when I installed offshore oil and gas platform for Total Indonesie at Tambora Tunu, East Borneo, Indonesia. Why? Because during the two months offshore installation, I practically only listened to two cassettes: Deep Purple "Slaves and Masters" and God Bless "The Story of". And, The Cut Runs Deep was my spirit for the difficult days I struggled to manage demanding client's requests. What an experience! So I just sung "The cut runs deep .!!!" Wow! It elevated my emotion man.!!!

"Love Conquers All" is a very nice ballad and also "Fortuneteller". The other excellent track that I also like is "Wicked Ways".

Yeah, you may discount my rating to 3 stars because this album is too personal for me. Working in remote area, offshore, for two months with practically no entertainment but those two cassettes - what can I expect? But for sure this is definitely not a less-than- three-stars album.

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#95196) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 20, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars Mark V. A short and pityfull episode.

Another album without Gillan as lead vocalist. For me, Gillan IS the Purple's voice (even if I liked very much Coverdale/Hughes). On this one, Joe Lynn Turner (second's choice vocalist in Rainbow after Dio) does what he can. But definitely, he won't be remembered as a highlight in the Purple's catalogue. When you listen to the opener "King Of Dreams", the worse is to be expected : this song is as crappy as it can be. Not rocking enough, melodyless : in one word : boring.

"The Cut Runs Deep" is more hard rock oriented, but weak. It could be a great song for a B or C class rock bands, but from the Purple, I guess that the fan is expecting more. At least it is quite rocking and one of the very few average tracks of this album. It is really irrelevant to go through each song (even briefly like I do for most of my reviews).

Most of them are useless ("Too Much Is Not Enough" probably reaching the nadir of this album). I really deserve a bonus to have endured having listened three times in a row to the full album for the purpose of this review. I doubt I will do this ever again. By doing so, one is still rewarded because the closing number "Wicked Ways" is the second good number of this CD : sustained rythm, hard rocking, nice melody like a Purple fan like. But don't expect anything great.

I am a fan of the Deep since December 1970. I have almost their entire official catalogue and some boots as well (about ten). I still go and see them in concerts nowadays. So, yes : you can tell I am a HUGE fan. But when it is crappy, one has to say it (unfortunately each of the "monsters" has produced one - or more - of that vein during their carreers (Yes, Genesis, Tull, Tramp, ELO etc.). Fortunately, Purple only produced one so far (more to come, unfortunately).

I guess that the fact that this album did receive some high ratings is due to the fact that some "veteran" fans preferred not to rate it. I have chosen (as for almost each band I will review) to go through their albums all the way long : great, average, poor or even worse might be their releases. It will "peak" at Nr. 45 in the UK (Nr. 87 in the US).

This is the Purple worst release. Stay away form this one. A single star.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#107299) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 12, 2007

Review by Gooner
4 stars This sounds like a Joe-Lynn Turner-era RAINBOW album which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Pretty good follow-up to Rainbow's "Bent Out Of Shape". Highlights are "Fire In The Basement"(this one was played quite a bit on the Detroit airwaves)...and "Fortuneteller" which is quintessential Blackmore-composition. "Truth Hurts" has some great toned guitar from Ritchie Blackmore and of Joe Lynn Turner's finest vocal performances. If you like later Rainbow, this gets 4 stars. If you like Deep Purple only, I'd give it 3 stars. However, since I like both, it gets a 4 star rating. A competent and personal favourite recording by the Purps!

Send comments to Gooner (BETA) | Report this review (#139497) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 21, 2007

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars The only football team in history to have a string arrangement

"Slaves and masters" is an interesting Deep Purple album in that it is the only one by the band to feature Joe Lynn Turner on lead vocals. Recorded in 1990 this was the follow up to the excellent "Perfect strangers" and the adequate "House of blue light" recorded by the reformed classic line up. Only Ian Gillan is missing here, but with Blackmore, Glover and Turner all present, this could just as easily have been a Rainbow release.

Turner turns his hand to the song writing straight away, being the only band member to have a hand in every track. Blackmore and Glover are not far behind though, missing out on just "Too much is not enough", with Lord and Paice chipping in from time to time.

While first impressions are that this album does indeed have more to do with Rainbow than Deep Purple, that view is largely swayed by Turner's vocals. Deep Purple had also been following a more straightforward AOR rock path of late, making "Slaves and masters" an equally natural successor to the immediately precedent DP albums.

The opening "King of dreams" is a mid-paced "Perfect strangers" (the song) like number with Jon Lord providing some strong symphonic keyboards. Blackmore takes an early opportunity to slip in some instantly recognisable lead guitar, the track having a pleasing atmosphere. "The cut runs deep" offers Jon Lord a chance to make his organ the dominant instrument, the track being driven along by him in fine fashion. Unfortunately, the fade on the track is unsatisfactory and clumsy.

"Fire in the basement" will never win any awards for lyrical subtlety, apparently following on from the basic innuendoes of "Knocking at your back door". The song has echoes of "Lazy" in the lighter happy rock it portrays.

There is of course the obligatory ballad, "Fortune teller" fitting the bill adequately without ever really getting going. "Love conquers all" (no relation to the similarly titled Yes song) is another in a similar mode, but thankfully more satisfactory. Blackmore's swirling guitar adds an extra dimension to this Journey like number.

"Breakfast in bed" sounds for all the world like a Free song, Turner doing a passable impression of Paul Rogers. The closing "Wicked ways" has vague prog sensibilities with a slight variation of pace and some effective strings supporting Blackmore's soaring guitar. It is also the longest track on the album at around 6 minutes, makeing for a fitting climax to an enjoyable album.

The completely different vocal style and sound of Turner can be a little hard to digest for those who are seeking to hear the familiar tones of Ian Gillan. It is perhaps therefore necessary to put any preconceptions aside, and assess this album only on its own merits. On that basis, there is little in the way of prog here, but there is a collection of good quality melodic rock.

The sleeve mugshots of the band members include football positions as part of their description, Blackmore being a winger, Paice is Centre forward, Turner is midfield and Glover defender. Strangely, Jon Lord does not appear to have been selected for the team, his position being "String arrangements"!

Turner would be sacked after the release of this album, leaving the way open for Gillan to return to the fold yet again.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#144538) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 14, 2007

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
1 stars It says Deep Purple on the cover, but it sure sounds like Joe Lynn Turner-era Rainbow!

I really don't like Joe Lynn Turner; I don't like what he did to Rainbow, I don't like what he did to Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force and I don't like what he did to Deep Purple. Turner's voice lends itself very well to slick AOR, but not to Metal of any kind. The real blame must, however, fall on Ritchie Blackmore and Roger Glover for bringing Turner with them from Rainbow into Deep Purple and also on Jon Lord and Ian Paice for allowing it all to happen! What were they trying to do? Turn Deep Purple into 80's-era Rainbow? What was the point of that? I'm a big fan of Ronnie James Dio-era Rainbow, but the Joe Lynn Turner-era of that band I find very disappointing. But even those worst Rainbow albums are superior to this "Deep Purple" album. Had Slaves And Master been released in the mid-80's, straight after Rainbow's Bent Out Of Shape album, it would perhaps have been understandable. But to do this Rainbow clone in 1990 after the first reunion that resulted in Perfect Strangers and later House Of Blue Light is strange to say the least.

I will not comment of each individual track here as they all sound pretty much the same to my ears. And if you have heard the 80's Rainbow albums, you know just what this sounds like (only worse!). However, the closing track Wicked Ways is the best song here having a symphonic touch and with a bit more room left for instrumental work outs. For the rest of the songs, Blackmore, Lord, Glover, Paice and Turner seem to be on autopilot and lacking in inspiration. Not surprisingly, this line-up was a one-off and for the next album Ian Gillan would return once more and the battle raged on?

Had this been a Rainbow album ? it sure sounds like one ? it would have been the worst Rainbow album. Now, it will have to be deemed the worst Deep Purple album instead!

Avoid!

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#177523) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 21, 2008

Review by b_olariu
3 stars A good album to my ears

Deep Purple enter in the '90's full of potential , not necessarly with strong and intristing ideas , but with pozitive attitude for sure. Slaves and masters was the first DP album of the '90 and one their best from that decade (i simply don't enjoy very much the Morse era) with hard rock atmosphere combined very well with AOR sounds and elements. On this album we have as vocalist John Lynn Turner, who made his contribution on 3 studio Rainbow albums and one live in early to mid '80's and on Odyssey of Malmsteen from 1988, befor joyning DP boat. Well the album is not average as many said , quite contrary is a good hard rocking album with strong vocal parts and tight musicianship, of course not as great as the '70's DP albums but nevertheless a good album with strong pieces. Slaves and masters is a little weaker than the predecesor House of blue light, who was for me, a truly solid come back of this legendary band, better than perfect stranger from 3 years before. About the tracks here, we have everything from slow to mid tempo to faster pieces, the progressive elements are none, but doesn't stop to be good album all the way. The Cut Runs Deep and Wicked Ways reminds me of good old Rainbow (with Turner at voice), in fact this album is very much alike with Bent out of shape of Rainbow (last studio album with Turner ) from 1983. So , finally a good Deep Purple album, nothing really special like early years , but a decent and very well played album in hard rock meets AOR tradition. Every musician is top notch and delivering strong moments on each instrument. 3 stars for Slaves and masters.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#215273) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Review by The Quiet One
3 stars AOR created by one of the founders of Heavy Prog..

Slaves & Masters is Deep Purple's most uneven album, sounding sometimes way too similar to Turner-Rainbow-era, while it's not mainly the fact of having Joe on vocal duties, which by the way is a great singer, though a bit more in the AOR-ish style than in the Heavy Rock realm of vocalists, the similaritie is due to Ritchie's song-writing, being very parallel to that of Rainbow from some few years back. The riffs, the chorus', etc..

However, for Deep Purple standards this is not that of a low-weight, due to previous release, The House of Blue Light, which was simply weak. Slaves & Masters is not weak, on the contrary is the pretty fresh for Deep Purple's catalogue, and makes a place of it's own, while by no means in the heights of their 70's classics, first of all because the music in here is not Heavy Rock, second Jon Lord's organ is layed-back, definitely something not usual for DP, and last but not least, there's the, sort-of, cheesy feel due to Joe's vocals, however like I said earlier, he's not a bad singer at all, he's just not meant for Deep Purple.

To finalise this short review, I'll just mention some highlights which can stand pretty well alongside the best tunes from Perfect Strangers, House of Blue Light, The Battle Rages On and of course alongside the best tunes from Rainbow-Turner era. These are: the catchy, but with a dark atmosphere ala Perfect Strangers, opener, King of Dreams; then there's the fantastic bluesy-esque Fire in the Basement, with it's killer riff, and it's mind-blowing organ solo; then there's the extremely catchy, and almost sing-along style, semi-hard rock tune, Breakfast in Bed; finally, the closer, Wicked Ways, is something worthy to check if you liked tunes from their 2 previous albums, with a very blurry prog feel, with it's short, simple, but very effective instrumental passage with strings and a guitar solo leading it, it's SO INTENSE! just make you sure to hear it with loud speakers!

All in all, the album has a good bunch of enjoyable AOR/semi-Hard Rock tunes, more than those from The House of Blue Light, and definitely more entertaining than from those.

I find it a good album, there's barely 2 songs I don't enjoy from it, so I have to give it a 3 stars rating, with the definition of a 2 stars. It's good, but definitely for fans from Deep Purple AND Rainbow.

Send comments to The Quiet One (BETA) | Report this review (#215490) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Review by tarkus1980
2 stars Well, it was only a matter of time; Ritchie kicked Ian out of the band again. In came one of Ritchie's buddies from late-period Rainbow, one Joe Lynn Turner, bringing the Mk. count up to 5. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think Joe is a bad vocalist; heck, I like him way more than I do Coverdale. Furthermore, from a pure skill standpoint, he's a big improvement over late 80's Gillan. Unfortunately, while it is kinda nice to be rid of Ian's shattered vocals, those vocals at least made me remember at all times that I was listening to Deep Purple, even if only a shadow of prime Deep Purple. With Joe at the mic, though, there's NOTHING here to make me think I'm listening to a band significant enough for me to want to review them.

You have to forgive me, oh faithful reader; I just don't know how to adequately review an album like this, mostly because I tend to avoid music like this like the plague. I know that some people like this sort of music - I've even read somebody's claim that "Love Conquers All," a generic power-ballad that makes me puke up food that doesn't yet exist, is one of the best ballads ever written. I guess the rest of the album isn't as bad as it could be - once I get past the Final Fantasy synths and "evil" ominous vocal sounds that open the album, "King of Dreams" isn't that bad, "The Cut Runs Deep" is ok (I kinda like the segue from the generic Renaissance-like opening to the generic metallic riffage), and ... uh ... well, I don't passionately hate any single track on here (except for the aforementioned power ballad). "Fire in the Basement" actually has a decent opening riff, albeit a rip of "Wring that Neck." But sheesh, even those little details don't really save these songs, and there's not much I can figure out to say otherwise in the plus column. The album, as a whole, isn't that heavy, it's not that memorable, it's ... just a smoother, less awkward, slightly less artificial- sounding version of Blue Light, except without a couple of cool riffs or great guitar solo passages.

I guess I just can't understand why Ritchie thought the world needed more generic hair metal with stupid "mystical" album covers, or why the rest of the band members decided to shed all bits of individuality they might have had left. And honestly, I just don't understand how this could have ever been what "cool" people listened to. If ever there was an album that could remind me why Nirvana was a good and necessary thing for the music world, this is it. This isn't the worst music experience of my life, but it's hardly a time I'll look back on and cherish.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#658733) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 14, 2012

4 stars 8/10 This may be a surprise that more pleasing to my ears. You see, I was quite disappointed previous offers by Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers and The House of Blue Light. Between this album, Slaves and Masters, and his predecessor, held up three years, where Ian Gillian once again left t ... (read more)

Report this review (#912063) | Posted by voliveira | Sunday, February 10, 2013 | Review Permanlink

2 stars First off let me start by saying that I'm a huge Deep Purple fan, and they were my first love in music, and are still very dear to my heart. That being said, Slaves and Masters is the worst album they have ever made in my opinion. Joe Lynn Turner is a good singer, I'll admit that. He did a good ... (read more)

Report this review (#231012) | Posted by nikow | Tuesday, August 11, 2009 | Review Permanlink

1 stars I used to love this album back when I had it on a cassette tape. Well the tape broke and I hadn't heard it in years, and of course the album was out of print for a very long time so it wasn't easy to get it. Recently I saw a new edition for 5 bucks filed under Deep Purple. It is a very crappy edit ... (read more)

Report this review (#131443) | Posted by Salviaal | Thursday, August 02, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Overall, this is a superb album. The first side (1 to 4) are all true classics, the band sound really tight and fiery, not like the old 70s stuff but in a newer, sophisticated way. "King Of Dreams" is a tense, dramatic masterpiece, with great lyrics and a chorus which knocks you for six, ... (read more)

Report this review (#122796) | Posted by analogueaddict | Saturday, May 19, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Slaves and Masters, hated by many Deep Purple fans...It's certainly not prog, but it is wonderful! Joe Lynn Turner's only album and my favorite Deep Purple album (and I'm a big Deep Purple fan). But I tend to love the stuff nobody likes. The best track on here is "Too Much is Not Enough", kick ... (read more)

Report this review (#101491) | Posted by rainbow111 | Sunday, December 03, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album never will be considered how deserves. In fact Gillan if went of it (then will return) and Coverdale is not returned. At the voice there is the too much understimated Joe Lynn Turner, that does not do to regret Gillan. The music proposal is an AOR of easy listening, but of a large c ... (read more)

Report this review (#56956) | Posted by | Friday, November 18, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DEEP PURPLE "Slaves And Masters"