SLAVES AND MASTERS

Good, but non-essential

Buy DEEP PURPLE Music
Studio Album, released in 1990

1. King Of Dreams (5:30)
2. The Cut Runs Deep (5:42)
3. Fire In The Basement (4:43)
4. Truth Hurts (5:14)
5. Breakfast In Bed (5:16)
6. Love Conquers All (3:47)
7. Fortuneteller (5:45)
8. Too Much Is Not Enough (4:19)
9. Wicked Ways (6:35)

-Jon Lord / organ, keyboards, string arrangements
-Ian Paice / drums, centre forward
-Joe Lynn Turner / vocals, midfield

Credits:
Track 1,4-6 - Blackmore/Glover/Turner; Track 2,3,7,9 - Blackmore/Glover/Turner/Lord/Paice;
Track 8 - Turner/Held/Greenwood.

Recorded in early/mid 1990 at Greg Rike Productions in Orlando, Florida. Additional recordings at Sountec Studios Inc. and the Powerstation in New York. Engineered by Nick Blagona; assisted by Peter Hodgson and Mathew Lamonica. Mixed by Nick Blagona and Roger Glover; assisted by Don Gelbert. Mastered at sterling Sound by Greg Calbi.

Thanks to The Miracle for the addition

DEEP PURPLE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DEEP PURPLE Slaves And Masters Music

Remastered · Extra tracks
Mercury 1999
BurnBurn
Rhino 2005
In Concert '72 (2012 Remix)In Concert '72 (2012 Remix)
Rhino/Parlophone 2014
Made in JapanMade in Japan
Warner Off Roster 1990
Deep Purple: Concerto for Group and Orchestra (2-CD Set)Deep Purple: Concerto for Group and Orchestra (2-CD Set)
Import · Remastered
EMI Import 2002
Deep Purple - Bad Attitude 12" Single PROMO Mercury Records PRO473-1 VG++/VG+ US $5.95 [0 bids]
32m 31s
Extended Versions, Deep Purple,Very Good, disc w/artwork,Audio CD, Music Music US $4.99 Buy It Now 39m 38s
RAINBOW-Bent Out Of Shape-RITCHIE BLACKMORE-Deep Purple-ROGER GLOVER-Guitar-Cd US $9.29 Buy It Now 40m 18s
Live at Montreux 2006 by Deep Purple (CD, Jun-2007, Eagle) US $5.99 Buy It Now 42m 36s
DEEP PURPLE/THE BOOK OF TALIESYN- COLORED PURPLE VINYL. US $25.99 Buy It Now 44m 43s
Deep Purple - New Live & Rare Vol.II. 1974 7" EX+ US $0.80 [0 bids]
44m 53s
VINTAGE ORIGINAL COMPLETE 1973 {DEEP PURPLE MADE IN JAPAN} DOUBLE 33 LP'S US $12.99 [0 bids]
48m 9s
Burn, Deep Purple, New Original recording remastered, E US $8.39 Buy It Now 49m 52s
7"-Single DEEP PURPLE - Black Night / Speed King (1970) FRANCE PS US $24.99 Buy It Now 51m 17s
DEEP PURPLE ?- THE HOUSE OF BLUE LIGHT, USSR PRESS 1988, EX US $9.99 Buy It Now 51m 55s
DEEP PURPLE ?- SMOKE ON THE WATER, EX, USSR PRESS 1989 US $13.99 Buy It Now 51m 55s
DEEP PURPLE ?- SMOKE ON THE WATER, USSR PRESS 1990 US $9.99 Buy It Now 51m 56s
Deep Purple-The Colour Collection (Color) US $6.35 Buy It Now 54m 57s
7"-Single DEEP PURPLE - Strange Kind Of Woman (1971) GERMANY PS US $24.99 Buy It Now 55m 54s
DONNY & MARIE OSMOND DEEP PURPLE / TAKE ME BACK AGAIN -45RPM VINYL-#82 US $4.99 Buy It Now 59m 3s
DEEP PURPLE LOT OF 3 CASSETTES US $0.89 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - MACHINE HEAD - 1U/1U UK PRESS - LAMINATED COVER and LYRIC POSTER US $17.67 [1 bids]
Deep Purple - Budokan 1973 T Shirt - Brand New Officially Licensed Merchandise US $22.43 Buy It Now 1h 8m
DEEP PURPLE SINGLES A'S & B'S LP ORIG UK 1978 HARVEST PURPLE VINYL EX+ US $8.04 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - THE BATTLE RAGES ON LP 1993 BRAZIL INSERT US $74.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Deep Purple / Made In Japan / 1973 / Warner Bros. 2WS-2701 / 2 LP / Trees Label US $4.12 Buy It Now 1h 24m
Jesse Crawford - Deep Purple lp Promenade 2074 US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Deep Purple " The Book Of Taliesyn " Harvest 038 CRY 04000 , gatefold US $10.00 [0 bids]
Deep Purple - 24 Carat Purple - LP Record VG G US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Made in Japan [Deluxe Edition] by Deep Purple (CD, 2 discs, May-2014, Warner) US $12.51 [4 bids]
DEEP PURPLE VINYL when we rock, we rock LP Hits Record VgEx ships us free 1978 US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 38m
DEEP PURPLE - MACHINE HEAD LP INDIAN COPY! RARE! EX/EX FREE SHIPPING!!! US $36.00 Buy It Now 1h 39m
DEEP PURPLE-THE BATTLE RAGES ON-JAPAN BLU-SPEC CD2 D73 US $20.50 Buy It Now 1h 40m
DEEP PURPLE Now What new CD 2013 PRE-Order US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
45rpm~TEMPO,Nino~I've Been Carrying A Torch For You/Deep Purple ?Vinyl 7" Record US $4.50 Buy It Now 1h 50m
DEEP PURPLE BOMBAY LIVE 1995 CD BRAZIL LIMITED 1000 COPIES FIREBALL SPEED KING US $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 52m
Jon Lord (Deep Purple)/Sarabande (West Germany/Sealed/1st Press) US $35.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple self-titled LP German pressing-EMI Harvest US $9.95 [1 bids]
Cassette Deep Purple 8 Heavy Metal lot tapes Machine Head Japan Strangers + US $34.99 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Deep Purple - Made in Japan 180g Vinyl 2LP Record + Download NEW 2014 EU US $48.06 Buy It Now 2h
GILLAN MR UNIVERSE LP 33 RPM INSERT LYRICS DEEP PURPLE RAINBOW WHITESNAKE GOOD US $3.20 [0 bids]
EX- MONO !! Deep Purple/Shades Of/1968 Parlophone MONO LP US $884.51 Buy It Now 2h 4m
DEEP PURPLE - IN ROCK - ANNIVERSARY EDITION REMASTERED CD - SIGNATURE CASE US $9.63 Buy It Now 2h 11m
Jazz - EARL BOSTIC Orch. Deep Purple & Smoke Rings US $5.95 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - LIVE IN MONTREUX CASINO 1969 PT.2-LTD. BLUE VINYL 150 COPIES ONLY US $29.99 [0 bids]
RONNIE DIO Elf Gambler 45 Deep Purple mint- Eastern Art US $69.99 Buy It Now 2h 14m
DEEP PURPLE - LIVE IN MONTREUX CASINO 1969 PT.1-LTD. BLUE VINYL 150 COPIES ONLY US $29.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE 2003 SUMMER TOUR PROGRAMME NEW MINT US $9.63 Buy It Now 2h 21m
Gary Moore, Colosseum II, Wardance LP. MCF 2817.1977.Don Airey.Deep Purple.RARE. US $1.59 [1 bids]
Deep Purple - Fireball LP + Insert UK 1st Press A-2U PEK/B-3U EX Textured Sleeve US $96.48 Buy It Now 2h 25m
DEEP PURPLE Smoke On The Water Rare Orig 45 Edit 3:48 b/w 4:34 Classic Rock VG++ US $9.99 [0 bids]
CAPTAIN BEYOND Sufficiently Breathless LP Iron Butterfly Deep Purple J.Winters US $16.99 Buy It Now 2h 26m
DEEP PURPLE "PURPLE CHRONICLE" ULTRA-RARE ORIGINAL JAPANESE SEALED PROMO CD! US $49.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple - THE RICOCHET 2cd rare LIVE not tarantura,japan US $32.00 [0 bids]
Deep Purple - The Book of the Taliesyn LP Harvest SHVL751 A-1G/B-1G EX Vinyl US $128.64 Buy It Now 2h 44m
DEEP PURPLE: Live At The Royal Albert Hall (Harvest) 1970 LP - French pressing US $16.07 Buy It Now 2h 46m
Deep Purple - DRIVING ME WILD 2cd rare LIVE not tarantura,japan US $32.00 [0 bids]
Deep Purple "Stormbringer" 7inch black vinyl Black Sabbath Rainbow Pretty Things US $17.00 Buy It Now 2h 56m
Deep Purple "Strange Kind of Woman" on 7inch vinyl BlackSabbathRainbowBlackmore US $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Deep Purple 1974 - 1976 CD *SEALED* III IV David Coverdale John Lord Live Inside US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 59m
Deepest Purple: The Very Best of Deep Purple by Deep Purple (CD, Jan-1989, De... US $9.06 Buy It Now 3h
Deep Purple "Who Do We Think We Are", 1973 LP, Excellent Condition, WB Records US $5.25 Buy It Now 3h 6m
DEEP PURPLE " STRANGE KIND OF WOMAN2 SINGLE ADVERT 2X12" APP US $3.22 Buy It Now 3h 8m
DEEP PURPLE LP/BOOK OF TALIESYN/EMI HARVEST C06204000/GERMAN PRESSING/VGttt US $7.99 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath Rare Ian Gillan Signed Born Again Vinyl LP Deep Purple + Photo WOW US $199.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE machine head 8 track tape US $9.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - Made In Japan - Rare 1973 French 7-track double live LP US $64.31 Buy It Now 3h 12m
Deep Purple Personalised Birthday Greetings Anniversary Thank You Card P42 US $4.81 Buy It Now 3h 14m
Deep Purple - In Rock (100% Japanese Limited Edition Mini LP w/ OBI) SHM-CD US $44.95 Buy It Now 3h 16m
Deep Purple - Swing Low Sweet Charioy The Hi Lo's Columbia 9522 US $2.97 Buy It Now 3h 16m
Deep Purple - The House Of Blue Light (100% Japanese with OBI) Hi Def. SHM-CD US $39.95 Buy It Now 3h 16m
Deep Purple : Machine Head Vinyl VG+ LP Record F US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 16m
RAINBOW all night long 7" ritchie blackmore DEEP PURPLE holland copy ROCK metal US $14.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple, Greatest Purple, 1985 EMI Records Double Album Germany 198 2604523 US $20.50 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Charmaine - Diane - Deep Purple Don Baker Columbia 36626 US $2.97 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Deep Purple - PARIS BATTLE 2cd rare LIVE not tarantura,japan US $38.00 [0 bids]
Deep Purple david Rose Metro M 502 US $2.97 Buy It Now 3h 22m
Deep Purple Personalised Birthday Greetings Anniversary Thank You Card P43 US $4.81 Buy It Now 3h 24m
Deep Purple Rainbow Difficult To Cure Original Vintage Metal Pin Badge US $9.63 Buy It Now 3h 25m
NEW Dazed and Confused OST CD 1993 Warner Bros ZZ Top Deep Purple Lynyrd Skynyrd US $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 26m
Deep Purple - Slaves And Masters (NEW CD) US $14.86 Buy It Now 3h 32m
Deep Purple - 24 Carat Purple - 1973 EMI Records TPSM 2002 Vinyl US $12.87 Buy It Now 3h 34m
DEEP PURPLE - RAPTURE OF THE DEEP/PERIHELION - RARE NEW SEALED 2 CD + DVD US $26.98 Buy It Now 3h 37m
Deepest Purple: Very Best of Deep Purple (CD 1980) BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED! US $7.00 Buy It Now 3h 38m
DEEP PURPLE PICTURE DISC, PERFECT STRANGERS, SON OF ALERIK NEW 45 US $9.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Machine Head WARNER BROTHERS 1972 Palm Trees label NEAR MINT insert! US $39.95 Buy It Now 3h 59m
DEEP PURPLE Deep Purple and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra WARNER BROTHERS NM! US $79.99 Buy It Now 3h 59m
DEEP PURPLE Deep Purple and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra WARNER BROTHERS NM US $82.95 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Deep Purple - In Concert With The London Symphony Orchestra US $6.35 Buy It Now 4h 17m
DEEP PURPLE~"CONCERTO FOR GROUP AND ORCHESTRA" 1970 U.S. WARNER BROS LP 1860 US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 19m
PAUL WESTON "DEEP PURPLE" "SOMEBODY LOVES ME" US $3.29 Buy It Now 4h 24m
deep purple - all the time in the world cd single new sealed US $13.50 Buy It Now 4h 30m
1CENT CD Sale Dazed And Confused Soundtrack Deep Purple Black Sabbath Kiss War + US $1.25 [7 bids]
Deep Purple Smoke on the Water (Edit) US 45 '72 VG+ 3:48/4:34 US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 40m
IAN GILLAN & TONY IOMMI-Who Cares comp.[2 CD](2012)ARM250782 Deep Purple Sabbath US $7.98 [1 bids]
Deep Purple When We Rock We Rock and When We Roll We Roll Very Good+ CD Burn +7 US $3.00 Buy It Now 4h 42m
Deep Purple...Come Taste the Band...LP US $21.00 Buy It Now 4h 43m
Deep Purple...Stormbringer...LP US $15.00 Buy It Now 4h 44m
DEEP PURPLE: Shades Of Deep Purple LP (Campbell, Silver, Cosby label 'checked t US $25.00 Buy It Now 4h 50m
DEEP PURPLE: The Book Of Taliesyn LP (Campbell/Silver/Cosby label,) Rock US $20.00 Buy It Now 4h 51m
DEEP PURPLE , Machine Head , incl. insert , Gatefold , LP , VG US $3.55 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE 24 CARAT PURPLE ITALY ORIGINAL PROMO LP US $20.91 [0 bids]
Live In London - Deep Purple US $9.98 Buy It Now 4h 58m
DEEP PURPLE TWO RECORD DEAL VINYL LP'S US $14.00 Buy It Now 5h
WHITESNAKE: LOVEHUNTER rare HARD ROCK deep purple RAINBOW import lp NM- TOP! US $30.00 Buy It Now 5h 2m

More places to buy DEEP PURPLE music online Buy DEEP PURPLE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DEEP PURPLE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DEEP PURPLE Slaves And Masters ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(6%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(13%)

DEEP PURPLE Slaves And Masters reviews

Review by Gatot
4 stars This is the only album of Deep Purple with Joe Lynn Turner as lead vocalist - and I don't have any problem at all with it. His voice is clear and powerful. All tracks for me are good. The opening track is an interesting one to enjoy as it has god combination of keyboard and guitar work in medium tempo style. Turner's voice is suitable for this track. My best favorite track of this album is "The Cut Runs Deep" - it has all power that typically early Deep Purple has in quite fast tempo. The song has great energy and strong melody. Especially, I love the music riffs combined with dynamic drumming. Whenever I hear this song, my memory refresh back to my days when I installed offshore oil and gas platform for Total Indonesie at Tambora Tunu, East Borneo, Indonesia. Why? Because during the two months offshore installation, I practically only listened to two cassettes: Deep Purple "Slaves and Masters" and God Bless "The Story of". And, The Cut Runs Deep was my spirit for the difficult days I struggled to manage demanding client's requests. What an experience! So I just sung "The cut runs deep .!!!" Wow! It elevated my emotion man.!!!

"Love Conquers All" is a very nice ballad and also "Fortuneteller". The other excellent track that I also like is "Wicked Ways".

Yeah, you may discount my rating to 3 stars because this album is too personal for me. Working in remote area, offshore, for two months with practically no entertainment but those two cassettes - what can I expect? But for sure this is definitely not a less-than- three-stars album.

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#95196) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 20, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars Mark V. A short and pityfull episode.

Another album without Gillan as lead vocalist. For me, Gillan IS the Purple's voice (even if I liked very much Coverdale/Hughes). On this one, Joe Lynn Turner (second's choice vocalist in Rainbow after Dio) does what he can. But definitely, he won't be remembered as a highlight in the Purple's catalogue. When you listen to the opener "King Of Dreams", the worse is to be expected : this song is as crappy as it can be. Not rocking enough, melodyless : in one word : boring.

"The Cut Runs Deep" is more hard rock oriented, but weak. It could be a great song for a B or C class rock bands, but from the Purple, I guess that the fan is expecting more. At least it is quite rocking and one of the very few average tracks of this album. It is really irrelevant to go through each song (even briefly like I do for most of my reviews).

Most of them are useless ("Too Much Is Not Enough" probably reaching the nadir of this album). I really deserve a bonus to have endured having listened three times in a row to the full album for the purpose of this review. I doubt I will do this ever again. By doing so, one is still rewarded because the closing number "Wicked Ways" is the second good number of this CD : sustained rythm, hard rocking, nice melody like a Purple fan like. But don't expect anything great.

I am a fan of the Deep since December 1970. I have almost their entire official catalogue and some boots as well (about ten). I still go and see them in concerts nowadays. So, yes : you can tell I am a HUGE fan. But when it is crappy, one has to say it (unfortunately each of the "monsters" has produced one - or more - of that vein during their carreers (Yes, Genesis, Tull, Tramp, ELO etc.). Fortunately, Purple only produced one so far (more to come, unfortunately).

I guess that the fact that this album did receive some high ratings is due to the fact that some "veteran" fans preferred not to rate it. I have chosen (as for almost each band I will review) to go through their albums all the way long : great, average, poor or even worse might be their releases. It will "peak" at Nr. 45 in the UK (Nr. 87 in the US).

This is the Purple worst release. Stay away form this one. A single star.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#107299) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 12, 2007

Review by Gooner
4 stars This sounds like a Joe-Lynn Turner-era RAINBOW album which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Pretty good follow-up to Rainbow's "Bent Out Of Shape". Highlights are "Fire In The Basement"(this one was played quite a bit on the Detroit airwaves)...and "Fortuneteller" which is quintessential Blackmore-composition. "Truth Hurts" has some great toned guitar from Ritchie Blackmore and of Joe Lynn Turner's finest vocal performances. If you like later Rainbow, this gets 4 stars. If you like Deep Purple only, I'd give it 3 stars. However, since I like both, it gets a 4 star rating. A competent and personal favourite recording by the Purps!

Send comments to Gooner (BETA) | Report this review (#139497) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 21, 2007

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars The only football team in history to have a string arrangement

"Slaves and masters" is an interesting Deep Purple album in that it is the only one by the band to feature Joe Lynn Turner on lead vocals. Recorded in 1990 this was the follow up to the excellent "Perfect strangers" and the adequate "House of blue light" recorded by the reformed classic line up. Only Ian Gillan is missing here, but with Blackmore, Glover and Turner all present, this could just as easily have been a Rainbow release.

Turner turns his hand to the song writing straight away, being the only band member to have a hand in every track. Blackmore and Glover are not far behind though, missing out on just "Too much is not enough", with Lord and Paice chipping in from time to time.

While first impressions are that this album does indeed have more to do with Rainbow than Deep Purple, that view is largely swayed by Turner's vocals. Deep Purple had also been following a more straightforward AOR rock path of late, making "Slaves and masters" an equally natural successor to the immediately precedent DP albums.

The opening "King of dreams" is a mid-paced "Perfect strangers" (the song) like number with Jon Lord providing some strong symphonic keyboards. Blackmore takes an early opportunity to slip in some instantly recognisable lead guitar, the track having a pleasing atmosphere. "The cut runs deep" offers Jon Lord a chance to make his organ the dominant instrument, the track being driven along by him in fine fashion. Unfortunately, the fade on the track is unsatisfactory and clumsy.

"Fire in the basement" will never win any awards for lyrical subtlety, apparently following on from the basic innuendoes of "Knocking at your back door". The song has echoes of "Lazy" in the lighter happy rock it portrays.

There is of course the obligatory ballad, "Fortune teller" fitting the bill adequately without ever really getting going. "Love conquers all" (no relation to the similarly titled Yes song) is another in a similar mode, but thankfully more satisfactory. Blackmore's swirling guitar adds an extra dimension to this Journey like number.

"Breakfast in bed" sounds for all the world like a Free song, Turner doing a passable impression of Paul Rogers. The closing "Wicked ways" has vague prog sensibilities with a slight variation of pace and some effective strings supporting Blackmore's soaring guitar. It is also the longest track on the album at around 6 minutes, makeing for a fitting climax to an enjoyable album.

The completely different vocal style and sound of Turner can be a little hard to digest for those who are seeking to hear the familiar tones of Ian Gillan. It is perhaps therefore necessary to put any preconceptions aside, and assess this album only on its own merits. On that basis, there is little in the way of prog here, but there is a collection of good quality melodic rock.

The sleeve mugshots of the band members include football positions as part of their description, Blackmore being a winger, Paice is Centre forward, Turner is midfield and Glover defender. Strangely, Jon Lord does not appear to have been selected for the team, his position being "String arrangements"!

Turner would be sacked after the release of this album, leaving the way open for Gillan to return to the fold yet again.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#144538) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 14, 2007

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
1 stars It says Deep Purple on the cover, but it sure sounds like Joe Lynn Turner-era Rainbow!

I really don't like Joe Lynn Turner; I don't like what he did to Rainbow, I don't like what he did to Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force and I don't like what he did to Deep Purple. Turner's voice lends itself very well to slick AOR, but not to Metal of any kind. The real blame must, however, fall on Ritchie Blackmore and Roger Glover for bringing Turner with them from Rainbow into Deep Purple and also on Jon Lord and Ian Paice for allowing it all to happen! What were they trying to do? Turn Deep Purple into 80's-era Rainbow? What was the point of that? I'm a big fan of Ronnie James Dio-era Rainbow, but the Joe Lynn Turner-era of that band I find very disappointing. But even those worst Rainbow albums are superior to this "Deep Purple" album. Had Slaves And Master been released in the mid-80's, straight after Rainbow's Bent Out Of Shape album, it would perhaps have been understandable. But to do this Rainbow clone in 1990 after the first reunion that resulted in Perfect Strangers and later House Of Blue Light is strange to say the least.

I will not comment of each individual track here as they all sound pretty much the same to my ears. And if you have heard the 80's Rainbow albums, you know just what this sounds like (only worse!). However, the closing track Wicked Ways is the best song here having a symphonic touch and with a bit more room left for instrumental work outs. For the rest of the songs, Blackmore, Lord, Glover, Paice and Turner seem to be on autopilot and lacking in inspiration. Not surprisingly, this line-up was a one-off and for the next album Ian Gillan would return once more and the battle raged on?

Had this been a Rainbow album ? it sure sounds like one ? it would have been the worst Rainbow album. Now, it will have to be deemed the worst Deep Purple album instead!

Avoid!

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#177523) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 21, 2008

Review by b_olariu
3 stars A good album to my ears

Deep Purple enter in the '90's full of potential , not necessarly with strong and intristing ideas , but with pozitive attitude for sure. Slaves and masters was the first DP album of the '90 and one their best from that decade (i simply don't enjoy very much the Morse era) with hard rock atmosphere combined very well with AOR sounds and elements. On this album we have as vocalist John Lynn Turner, who made his contribution on 3 studio Rainbow albums and one live in early to mid '80's and on Odyssey of Malmsteen from 1988, befor joyning DP boat. Well the album is not average as many said , quite contrary is a good hard rocking album with strong vocal parts and tight musicianship, of course not as great as the '70's DP albums but nevertheless a good album with strong pieces. Slaves and masters is a little weaker than the predecesor House of blue light, who was for me, a truly solid come back of this legendary band, better than perfect stranger from 3 years before. About the tracks here, we have everything from slow to mid tempo to faster pieces, the progressive elements are none, but doesn't stop to be good album all the way. The Cut Runs Deep and Wicked Ways reminds me of good old Rainbow (with Turner at voice), in fact this album is very much alike with Bent out of shape of Rainbow (last studio album with Turner ) from 1983. So , finally a good Deep Purple album, nothing really special like early years , but a decent and very well played album in hard rock meets AOR tradition. Every musician is top notch and delivering strong moments on each instrument. 3 stars for Slaves and masters.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#215273) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Review by The Quiet One
3 stars AOR created by one of the founders of Heavy Prog..

Slaves & Masters is Deep Purple's most uneven album, sounding sometimes way too similar to Turner-Rainbow-era, while it's not mainly the fact of having Joe on vocal duties, which by the way is a great singer, though a bit more in the AOR-ish style than in the Heavy Rock realm of vocalists, the similaritie is due to Ritchie's song-writing, being very parallel to that of Rainbow from some few years back. The riffs, the chorus', etc..

However, for Deep Purple standards this is not that of a low-weight, due to previous release, The House of Blue Light, which was simply weak. Slaves & Masters is not weak, on the contrary is the pretty fresh for Deep Purple's catalogue, and makes a place of it's own, while by no means in the heights of their 70's classics, first of all because the music in here is not Heavy Rock, second Jon Lord's organ is layed-back, definitely something not usual for DP, and last but not least, there's the, sort-of, cheesy feel due to Joe's vocals, however like I said earlier, he's not a bad singer at all, he's just not meant for Deep Purple.

To finalise this short review, I'll just mention some highlights which can stand pretty well alongside the best tunes from Perfect Strangers, House of Blue Light, The Battle Rages On and of course alongside the best tunes from Rainbow-Turner era. These are: the catchy, but with a dark atmosphere ala Perfect Strangers, opener, King of Dreams; then there's the fantastic bluesy-esque Fire in the Basement, with it's killer riff, and it's mind-blowing organ solo; then there's the extremely catchy, and almost sing-along style, semi-hard rock tune, Breakfast in Bed; finally, the closer, Wicked Ways, is something worthy to check if you liked tunes from their 2 previous albums, with a very blurry prog feel, with it's short, simple, but very effective instrumental passage with strings and a guitar solo leading it, it's SO INTENSE! just make you sure to hear it with loud speakers!

All in all, the album has a good bunch of enjoyable AOR/semi-Hard Rock tunes, more than those from The House of Blue Light, and definitely more entertaining than from those.

I find it a good album, there's barely 2 songs I don't enjoy from it, so I have to give it a 3 stars rating, with the definition of a 2 stars. It's good, but definitely for fans from Deep Purple AND Rainbow.

Send comments to The Quiet One (BETA) | Report this review (#215490) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Review by tarkus1980
2 stars Well, it was only a matter of time; Ritchie kicked Ian out of the band again. In came one of Ritchie's buddies from late-period Rainbow, one Joe Lynn Turner, bringing the Mk. count up to 5. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think Joe is a bad vocalist; heck, I like him way more than I do Coverdale. Furthermore, from a pure skill standpoint, he's a big improvement over late 80's Gillan. Unfortunately, while it is kinda nice to be rid of Ian's shattered vocals, those vocals at least made me remember at all times that I was listening to Deep Purple, even if only a shadow of prime Deep Purple. With Joe at the mic, though, there's NOTHING here to make me think I'm listening to a band significant enough for me to want to review them.

You have to forgive me, oh faithful reader; I just don't know how to adequately review an album like this, mostly because I tend to avoid music like this like the plague. I know that some people like this sort of music - I've even read somebody's claim that "Love Conquers All," a generic power-ballad that makes me puke up food that doesn't yet exist, is one of the best ballads ever written. I guess the rest of the album isn't as bad as it could be - once I get past the Final Fantasy synths and "evil" ominous vocal sounds that open the album, "King of Dreams" isn't that bad, "The Cut Runs Deep" is ok (I kinda like the segue from the generic Renaissance-like opening to the generic metallic riffage), and ... uh ... well, I don't passionately hate any single track on here (except for the aforementioned power ballad). "Fire in the Basement" actually has a decent opening riff, albeit a rip of "Wring that Neck." But sheesh, even those little details don't really save these songs, and there's not much I can figure out to say otherwise in the plus column. The album, as a whole, isn't that heavy, it's not that memorable, it's ... just a smoother, less awkward, slightly less artificial- sounding version of Blue Light, except without a couple of cool riffs or great guitar solo passages.

I guess I just can't understand why Ritchie thought the world needed more generic hair metal with stupid "mystical" album covers, or why the rest of the band members decided to shed all bits of individuality they might have had left. And honestly, I just don't understand how this could have ever been what "cool" people listened to. If ever there was an album that could remind me why Nirvana was a good and necessary thing for the music world, this is it. This isn't the worst music experience of my life, but it's hardly a time I'll look back on and cherish.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#658733) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 14, 2012

4 stars 8/10 This may be a surprise that more pleasing to my ears. You see, I was quite disappointed previous offers by Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers and The House of Blue Light. Between this album, Slaves and Masters, and his predecessor, held up three years, where Ian Gillian once again left t ... (read more)

Report this review (#912063) | Posted by voliveira | Sunday, February 10, 2013 | Review Permanlink

2 stars First off let me start by saying that I'm a huge Deep Purple fan, and they were my first love in music, and are still very dear to my heart. That being said, Slaves and Masters is the worst album they have ever made in my opinion. Joe Lynn Turner is a good singer, I'll admit that. He did a good ... (read more)

Report this review (#231012) | Posted by nikow | Tuesday, August 11, 2009 | Review Permanlink

1 stars I used to love this album back when I had it on a cassette tape. Well the tape broke and I hadn't heard it in years, and of course the album was out of print for a very long time so it wasn't easy to get it. Recently I saw a new edition for 5 bucks filed under Deep Purple. It is a very crappy edit ... (read more)

Report this review (#131443) | Posted by Salviaal | Thursday, August 02, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Overall, this is a superb album. The first side (1 to 4) are all true classics, the band sound really tight and fiery, not like the old 70s stuff but in a newer, sophisticated way. "King Of Dreams" is a tense, dramatic masterpiece, with great lyrics and a chorus which knocks you for six, ... (read more)

Report this review (#122796) | Posted by analogueaddict | Saturday, May 19, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Slaves and Masters, hated by many Deep Purple fans...It's certainly not prog, but it is wonderful! Joe Lynn Turner's only album and my favorite Deep Purple album (and I'm a big Deep Purple fan). But I tend to love the stuff nobody likes. The best track on here is "Too Much is Not Enough", kick ... (read more)

Report this review (#101491) | Posted by rainbow111 | Sunday, December 03, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album never will be considered how deserves. In fact Gillan if went of it (then will return) and Coverdale is not returned. At the voice there is the too much understimated Joe Lynn Turner, that does not do to regret Gillan. The music proposal is an AOR of easy listening, but of a large c ... (read more)

Report this review (#56956) | Posted by | Friday, November 18, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DEEP PURPLE "Slaves And Masters"