SLAVES AND MASTERS

Good, but non-essential

Buy DEEP PURPLE Music
Studio Album, released in 1990

1. King Of Dreams (5:30)
2. The Cut Runs Deep (5:42)
3. Fire In The Basement (4:43)
4. Truth Hurts (5:14)
5. Breakfast In Bed (5:16)
6. Love Conquers All (3:47)
7. Fortuneteller (5:45)
8. Too Much Is Not Enough (4:19)
9. Wicked Ways (6:35)

-Jon Lord / organ, keyboards, string arrangements
-Ian Paice / drums, centre forward
-Joe Lynn Turner / vocals, midfield

Credits:
Track 1,4-6 - Blackmore/Glover/Turner; Track 2,3,7,9 - Blackmore/Glover/Turner/Lord/Paice;
Track 8 - Turner/Held/Greenwood.

Recorded in early/mid 1990 at Greg Rike Productions in Orlando, Florida. Additional recordings at Sountec Studios Inc. and the Powerstation in New York. Engineered by Nick Blagona; assisted by Peter Hodgson and Mathew Lamonica. Mixed by Nick Blagona and Roger Glover; assisted by Don Gelbert. Mastered at sterling Sound by Greg Calbi.

Thanks to The Miracle for the addition

DEEP PURPLE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DEEP PURPLE Slaves And Masters Music

Rhino Records 2013
Perfect StrangersPerfect Strangers
Remastered · Extra tracks
Mercury 1999
In Concert '72 (2012 Remix)In Concert '72 (2012 Remix)
Rhino/Parlophone 2014
Made in JapanMade in Japan
Warner Off Roster 1990
In Rock: Anniversary EditionIn Rock: Anniversary Edition
Import · Remastered
EMI 1995
Machine HeadMachine Head
Rhino Flashback 2011
Mojo - Heavy Mod - Small Faces, Deep Purple, The Creation, The Yardbirds NEW CD US $8.10 Buy It Now 29m 52s
Deep Purple Dedicate... Rare Live 4 CD Tokyo Japan 2014 Lim.Digipack Japan US $193.27 Buy It Now 33m 56s
KEVIN HART LATIN JAZZ QUINTET: Corazon (SS/1996/USA/10 TRACKS/DEEP PURPLE!) US $9.95 Buy It Now 34m 5s
Deep Purple Knocking at Your Backdoor CD US $3.49 Buy It Now 35m 40s
DEEP PURPLE SMOKE ON THE WATER LIVE ( CD ) US $19.99 [0 bids]
37m 43s
DEEP PURPLE in concert 2002 tour programme 32 pages INCLUDES jon lord US $4.86 [2 bids]
39m 6s
Deep Purple BURN UK LP PURPLE RECORDS ONE PLAY OUTSTANDING PLAY 100% MINT!! US $79.58 [11 bids]
41m 47s
WHITESNAKE / COME AND GET IT - Japan w/obi DEEP PURPLE US $24.99 Buy It Now 45m 21s
Deep Purple - Live at Montreux 2006 (Live Recording, 2013) CD + DVD US $17.85 Buy It Now 45m 50s
CLASSIC ROCK MAGAZINE Nov 2004-Cat Stevens/Deep Purple/Velvet Revolver/Finn Bros US $17.85 Buy It Now 50m 14s
DEEP PURPLE -THE HOUSE OF BLUE LIGHT- PROMOTIONAL ALBUM- Vinyl Record LP US $9.99 [0 bids]
54m 20s
Deep Purple Extended Versions CD US $3.96 Buy It Now 55m 20s
SUNSTORM SAME SPEC. RUSSIA EDITION VERY RARE JOE LYNN TURNER RAINBOW DEEP PURPLE US $14.99 Buy It Now 55m 24s
BLACKMORE'S NIGHT THE VILLAGE LANTERNE SPEC. RUSSIA EDITION DEEP PURPLE RAINBOW US $14.99 Buy It Now 55m 24s
Listen Learn Read on by Deep Purple US $203.98 Buy It Now 55m 39s
DEEP PURPLE: The Best Of Deep Purple (rock & pop vinyl LP) US $10.00 Buy It Now 56m 44s
Deep Purple Fireball 1971 WB 2564 LP US $10.00 [0 bids]
57m 40s
Deep Purple - Now What?! Gold Edition [CD New] US $21.78 Buy It Now 1h
Deep Purple - Who Do We Think We Are 24 KT Gold CD US $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Deep Purple - New Live & Rare Black Night (LIVE) 7" 1973 VG Purple PUR135 US $5.67 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Total Guitar CD no.238 Learn to play: Muse, Deep Purple, The Darkness [A22] US $4.04 [0 bids]
(2) "DEEP PURPLE" 1974 "LIVE IN SAN DIEGO" + "PROMO" KNOCKING AT YOUR BACK DOOR US $29.99 [0 bids]
THE FROST ? THROUGH THE EYES OF LOVE LP DEEP PURPLE NUGENT KISS ALICE COOPER MC5 US $19.99 [0 bids]
THE FROST ? FROST MUSIC LP DEEP PURPLE RAINBOW HENDRIX CREAM ACDC ALICE COOPER US $19.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - THE COLLECTION CD - IMPORT - BRAND NEW CD US $3.52 Buy It Now 1h 15m
VG++ Deep Purple The Book of Taliesyn Tetragrammaton T-107 LP Odd Label US $19.54 Buy It Now 1h 21m
DEEP PURPLE EMBROIDERED PATCH US $6.65 Buy It Now 1h 26m
NINO TEMPO & APRIL STEVENS Deep Purple 45 ATCO 6273 EX+ (45s-3011) US $6.49 Buy It Now 1h 27m
DEEP PURPLE JAPAN (SHM) MINI LP 8 TITLE (8 CD) "BURN" BOX SET BRAND NEW US $165.00 [14 bids]
Jon Lord ( Whitesnake Deep Purple ) West Germany 1987 CD Sarabande US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
DEEP PURPLE"PERFECT STRANGER" RUSSIAN LP NEW UNPLAYED LUMINATED COVER US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 39m
DEEP PURPLE California Jam April 6th 1974 TE-D007 LD AE5625 US $39.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Made in Europe P-10262W LP Af7287 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE The House of Blue Light 28MM0556 LP Af7273 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Shades of Deep Purple P-8367W LP Af7092 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Burn P-8419W LP Af7090 US $8.50 [2 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Deep Purple Live in Japan P-5506W OBI 2LP AF3138 US $17.50 [5 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Deep Purple and The Royal P-10331W OBI LP AF3131 US $8.49 [2 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Deep Purple and The Royal Philharonic BP-8962 LP AF3150 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Machine Head P-8224W OBI LP AF7088 US $8.50 [2 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Burn P-10104W LP Ad4379 US $7.99 [1 bids]
WAYNE KING True Love / Deep Purple 45 Decca 25700 VG (45s-3602) US $6.49 Buy It Now 1h 49m
DEEPEST PURPLE "NM WAX" The Very Best of Deep Purple P-10914W LP Ad2295 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Live in Japan P-5506W 2LP AE3705 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Power House P-10444W OBI LP Af3344 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEPEST PURPLE "NM WAX" The Very Best of Deep Purple P-10914W OBI LP Ac6952 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Machine Head P-10130W LP Z0658 US $8.50 [2 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Live in Japan P-5066W 2LP AF7101 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE In Rock P-8020W LP AF7089 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX / POSTER" Machine Head P-8224W LP AF7095 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PUPRLE "NM WAX" Deep Purple in Rock P-10108W LP I2315 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEPE PURPLE The Very Best of Deep Purple P-10914W OBI LP Ae3914 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Purple Passages P-5171W OBI 2LP AF4251 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "POSTER" Machine Head P-8224W LP AF3116 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Last Concert in Japan P-10370W OBI LP Af3149 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Deep Purple in Rock P-8020W LP AF3132 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX / POSTER" Machine Head P-10130W LP AD5258 US $8.50 [2 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "POSTER / NM WAX" Power House P-10444W OBI LP I6078 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Fireball P-8092W LP AF7091 US $8.50 [2 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Perfect Strangers 25MM0401 OBI LP i7545 US $7.99 [1 bids]
Deep Purple White Label Promo Promo 45 - Black Night / Into The Fire Warner Bros US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 52m
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Made in Europe P-10262W OBI LP z2695 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Made in Europe P-10262W OBI LP Af7086 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Last Concert in Japan P-10370W OBI LP Ad4377 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Burn P-10104W LP i5260 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Deep Purple Live in Japan P-5506W OBI 2LP AD1368 US $11.50 [3 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Made in Europe P-10262W OBI LP Ad3482 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "POSTER / NM WAX" Power House P-10444W OBI LP AC2593 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Deep Purple Live in Japan P-5506W 2LP I3861 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Deep Purple in Concert TRSH-3001 OBI 2LP I2545 US $15.50 [3 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Shades of Deep Purple P-8367W LP w5965 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEPEST PURPLE "NM WAX" The Very Best of Deep Purple P-10914W OBI LP q4976 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Deep Purple Live In Japan P-5506W OBI 2LP T0872 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "BLACK NIGHT BEST" IMPORT US $20.99 Buy It Now 2h
DEEP PURPLE - DEEP PURPLE COLLECTION NEW DVD US $41.96 Buy It Now 2h
Deep Purple Made in Japan 8 Track Tape TESTED US $6.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - PERFECT STRANGERS LP VINYL RECORD ALBUM US $12.99 [0 bids]
Ian Gillan Band - 2 x LPs - child in time + clear air turbulence - deep purple US $8.10 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE-WHO DO WE THINK WE ARE (OGV) VINYL LP NEW US $32.92 Buy It Now 2h 15m
DEEP PURPLE-COME TASTE THE BAND CD NEW US $15.70 Buy It Now 2h 15m
DEEP PURPLE-MADE IN EUROPE (LTD) (OGV) VINYL LP NEW US $32.20 Buy It Now 2h 15m
DEEP PURPLE-SLAVES AND MASTERS: THE DELUXE EDITIO... CD NEW US $17.22 Buy It Now 2h 15m
DEEP PURPLE-FIREBALL (LTD) (OGV) VINYL LP NEW US $32.88 Buy It Now 2h 15m
DEEP PURPLE-STORMBRINGER (LTD) (OGV) VINYL LP NEW US $32.24 Buy It Now 2h 15m
DEEP PURPLE - Machine Head - 1972 - CD - 3100-2 - US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 18m
DEEP PURPLE - Black Night (live version) - 7" US $23.13 Buy It Now 2h 20m
DEEP PURPLE "Fireball" LP Mega rare Italian press Led zepellin Black Sabbath Dio US $19.00 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "Come Taste The Band" GATEFOLD VINYL LP Italian press Led zepellin US $19.00 [0 bids]
Deep Purple 3 Classic CDs Box Set / Very Best Of D.P., Machine Head US $16.00 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE , LIVE, RARE PICTURE DISC US $25.00 [0 bids]
Deep Purple Nobody's Perfect CD N/M US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 40m
DEEP PURPLE MEXICAN 45 RARE KING OF DREAMS RCA US $19.99 [0 bids]
EARL BOSTIC AND HIS ORCHESTRA: Deep Purple/Smoke Rings EP US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 46m

More places to buy DEEP PURPLE music online Buy DEEP PURPLE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DEEP PURPLE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DEEP PURPLE Slaves And Masters ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(6%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(13%)

DEEP PURPLE Slaves And Masters reviews

Review by Gatot
4 stars This is the only album of Deep Purple with Joe Lynn Turner as lead vocalist - and I don't have any problem at all with it. His voice is clear and powerful. All tracks for me are good. The opening track is an interesting one to enjoy as it has god combination of keyboard and guitar work in medium tempo style. Turner's voice is suitable for this track. My best favorite track of this album is "The Cut Runs Deep" - it has all power that typically early Deep Purple has in quite fast tempo. The song has great energy and strong melody. Especially, I love the music riffs combined with dynamic drumming. Whenever I hear this song, my memory refresh back to my days when I installed offshore oil and gas platform for Total Indonesie at Tambora Tunu, East Borneo, Indonesia. Why? Because during the two months offshore installation, I practically only listened to two cassettes: Deep Purple "Slaves and Masters" and God Bless "The Story of". And, The Cut Runs Deep was my spirit for the difficult days I struggled to manage demanding client's requests. What an experience! So I just sung "The cut runs deep .!!!" Wow! It elevated my emotion man.!!!

"Love Conquers All" is a very nice ballad and also "Fortuneteller". The other excellent track that I also like is "Wicked Ways".

Yeah, you may discount my rating to 3 stars because this album is too personal for me. Working in remote area, offshore, for two months with practically no entertainment but those two cassettes - what can I expect? But for sure this is definitely not a less-than- three-stars album.

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#95196) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 20, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars Mark V. A short and pityfull episode.

Another album without Gillan as lead vocalist. For me, Gillan IS the Purple's voice (even if I liked very much Coverdale/Hughes). On this one, Joe Lynn Turner (second's choice vocalist in Rainbow after Dio) does what he can. But definitely, he won't be remembered as a highlight in the Purple's catalogue. When you listen to the opener "King Of Dreams", the worse is to be expected : this song is as crappy as it can be. Not rocking enough, melodyless : in one word : boring.

"The Cut Runs Deep" is more hard rock oriented, but weak. It could be a great song for a B or C class rock bands, but from the Purple, I guess that the fan is expecting more. At least it is quite rocking and one of the very few average tracks of this album. It is really irrelevant to go through each song (even briefly like I do for most of my reviews).

Most of them are useless ("Too Much Is Not Enough" probably reaching the nadir of this album). I really deserve a bonus to have endured having listened three times in a row to the full album for the purpose of this review. I doubt I will do this ever again. By doing so, one is still rewarded because the closing number "Wicked Ways" is the second good number of this CD : sustained rythm, hard rocking, nice melody like a Purple fan like. But don't expect anything great.

I am a fan of the Deep since December 1970. I have almost their entire official catalogue and some boots as well (about ten). I still go and see them in concerts nowadays. So, yes : you can tell I am a HUGE fan. But when it is crappy, one has to say it (unfortunately each of the "monsters" has produced one - or more - of that vein during their carreers (Yes, Genesis, Tull, Tramp, ELO etc.). Fortunately, Purple only produced one so far (more to come, unfortunately).

I guess that the fact that this album did receive some high ratings is due to the fact that some "veteran" fans preferred not to rate it. I have chosen (as for almost each band I will review) to go through their albums all the way long : great, average, poor or even worse might be their releases. It will "peak" at Nr. 45 in the UK (Nr. 87 in the US).

This is the Purple worst release. Stay away form this one. A single star.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#107299) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 12, 2007

Review by Gooner
4 stars This sounds like a Joe-Lynn Turner-era RAINBOW album which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Pretty good follow-up to Rainbow's "Bent Out Of Shape". Highlights are "Fire In The Basement"(this one was played quite a bit on the Detroit airwaves)...and "Fortuneteller" which is quintessential Blackmore-composition. "Truth Hurts" has some great toned guitar from Ritchie Blackmore and of Joe Lynn Turner's finest vocal performances. If you like later Rainbow, this gets 4 stars. If you like Deep Purple only, I'd give it 3 stars. However, since I like both, it gets a 4 star rating. A competent and personal favourite recording by the Purps!

Send comments to Gooner (BETA) | Report this review (#139497) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 21, 2007

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars The only football team in history to have a string arrangement

"Slaves and masters" is an interesting Deep Purple album in that it is the only one by the band to feature Joe Lynn Turner on lead vocals. Recorded in 1990 this was the follow up to the excellent "Perfect strangers" and the adequate "House of blue light" recorded by the reformed classic line up. Only Ian Gillan is missing here, but with Blackmore, Glover and Turner all present, this could just as easily have been a Rainbow release.

Turner turns his hand to the song writing straight away, being the only band member to have a hand in every track. Blackmore and Glover are not far behind though, missing out on just "Too much is not enough", with Lord and Paice chipping in from time to time.

While first impressions are that this album does indeed have more to do with Rainbow than Deep Purple, that view is largely swayed by Turner's vocals. Deep Purple had also been following a more straightforward AOR rock path of late, making "Slaves and masters" an equally natural successor to the immediately precedent DP albums.

The opening "King of dreams" is a mid-paced "Perfect strangers" (the song) like number with Jon Lord providing some strong symphonic keyboards. Blackmore takes an early opportunity to slip in some instantly recognisable lead guitar, the track having a pleasing atmosphere. "The cut runs deep" offers Jon Lord a chance to make his organ the dominant instrument, the track being driven along by him in fine fashion. Unfortunately, the fade on the track is unsatisfactory and clumsy.

"Fire in the basement" will never win any awards for lyrical subtlety, apparently following on from the basic innuendoes of "Knocking at your back door". The song has echoes of "Lazy" in the lighter happy rock it portrays.

There is of course the obligatory ballad, "Fortune teller" fitting the bill adequately without ever really getting going. "Love conquers all" (no relation to the similarly titled Yes song) is another in a similar mode, but thankfully more satisfactory. Blackmore's swirling guitar adds an extra dimension to this Journey like number.

"Breakfast in bed" sounds for all the world like a Free song, Turner doing a passable impression of Paul Rogers. The closing "Wicked ways" has vague prog sensibilities with a slight variation of pace and some effective strings supporting Blackmore's soaring guitar. It is also the longest track on the album at around 6 minutes, makeing for a fitting climax to an enjoyable album.

The completely different vocal style and sound of Turner can be a little hard to digest for those who are seeking to hear the familiar tones of Ian Gillan. It is perhaps therefore necessary to put any preconceptions aside, and assess this album only on its own merits. On that basis, there is little in the way of prog here, but there is a collection of good quality melodic rock.

The sleeve mugshots of the band members include football positions as part of their description, Blackmore being a winger, Paice is Centre forward, Turner is midfield and Glover defender. Strangely, Jon Lord does not appear to have been selected for the team, his position being "String arrangements"!

Turner would be sacked after the release of this album, leaving the way open for Gillan to return to the fold yet again.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#144538) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 14, 2007

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
1 stars It says Deep Purple on the cover, but it sure sounds like Joe Lynn Turner-era Rainbow!

I really don't like Joe Lynn Turner; I don't like what he did to Rainbow, I don't like what he did to Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force and I don't like what he did to Deep Purple. Turner's voice lends itself very well to slick AOR, but not to Metal of any kind. The real blame must, however, fall on Ritchie Blackmore and Roger Glover for bringing Turner with them from Rainbow into Deep Purple and also on Jon Lord and Ian Paice for allowing it all to happen! What were they trying to do? Turn Deep Purple into 80's-era Rainbow? What was the point of that? I'm a big fan of Ronnie James Dio-era Rainbow, but the Joe Lynn Turner-era of that band I find very disappointing. But even those worst Rainbow albums are superior to this "Deep Purple" album. Had Slaves And Master been released in the mid-80's, straight after Rainbow's Bent Out Of Shape album, it would perhaps have been understandable. But to do this Rainbow clone in 1990 after the first reunion that resulted in Perfect Strangers and later House Of Blue Light is strange to say the least.

I will not comment of each individual track here as they all sound pretty much the same to my ears. And if you have heard the 80's Rainbow albums, you know just what this sounds like (only worse!). However, the closing track Wicked Ways is the best song here having a symphonic touch and with a bit more room left for instrumental work outs. For the rest of the songs, Blackmore, Lord, Glover, Paice and Turner seem to be on autopilot and lacking in inspiration. Not surprisingly, this line-up was a one-off and for the next album Ian Gillan would return once more and the battle raged on?

Had this been a Rainbow album ? it sure sounds like one ? it would have been the worst Rainbow album. Now, it will have to be deemed the worst Deep Purple album instead!

Avoid!

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#177523) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 21, 2008

Review by b_olariu
3 stars A good album to my ears

Deep Purple enter in the '90's full of potential , not necessarly with strong and intristing ideas , but with pozitive attitude for sure. Slaves and masters was the first DP album of the '90 and one their best from that decade (i simply don't enjoy very much the Morse era) with hard rock atmosphere combined very well with AOR sounds and elements. On this album we have as vocalist John Lynn Turner, who made his contribution on 3 studio Rainbow albums and one live in early to mid '80's and on Odyssey of Malmsteen from 1988, befor joyning DP boat. Well the album is not average as many said , quite contrary is a good hard rocking album with strong vocal parts and tight musicianship, of course not as great as the '70's DP albums but nevertheless a good album with strong pieces. Slaves and masters is a little weaker than the predecesor House of blue light, who was for me, a truly solid come back of this legendary band, better than perfect stranger from 3 years before. About the tracks here, we have everything from slow to mid tempo to faster pieces, the progressive elements are none, but doesn't stop to be good album all the way. The Cut Runs Deep and Wicked Ways reminds me of good old Rainbow (with Turner at voice), in fact this album is very much alike with Bent out of shape of Rainbow (last studio album with Turner ) from 1983. So , finally a good Deep Purple album, nothing really special like early years , but a decent and very well played album in hard rock meets AOR tradition. Every musician is top notch and delivering strong moments on each instrument. 3 stars for Slaves and masters.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#215273) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Review by The Quiet One
3 stars AOR created by one of the founders of Heavy Prog..

Slaves & Masters is Deep Purple's most uneven album, sounding sometimes way too similar to Turner-Rainbow-era, while it's not mainly the fact of having Joe on vocal duties, which by the way is a great singer, though a bit more in the AOR-ish style than in the Heavy Rock realm of vocalists, the similaritie is due to Ritchie's song-writing, being very parallel to that of Rainbow from some few years back. The riffs, the chorus', etc..

However, for Deep Purple standards this is not that of a low-weight, due to previous release, The House of Blue Light, which was simply weak. Slaves & Masters is not weak, on the contrary is the pretty fresh for Deep Purple's catalogue, and makes a place of it's own, while by no means in the heights of their 70's classics, first of all because the music in here is not Heavy Rock, second Jon Lord's organ is layed-back, definitely something not usual for DP, and last but not least, there's the, sort-of, cheesy feel due to Joe's vocals, however like I said earlier, he's not a bad singer at all, he's just not meant for Deep Purple.

To finalise this short review, I'll just mention some highlights which can stand pretty well alongside the best tunes from Perfect Strangers, House of Blue Light, The Battle Rages On and of course alongside the best tunes from Rainbow-Turner era. These are: the catchy, but with a dark atmosphere ala Perfect Strangers, opener, King of Dreams; then there's the fantastic bluesy-esque Fire in the Basement, with it's killer riff, and it's mind-blowing organ solo; then there's the extremely catchy, and almost sing-along style, semi-hard rock tune, Breakfast in Bed; finally, the closer, Wicked Ways, is something worthy to check if you liked tunes from their 2 previous albums, with a very blurry prog feel, with it's short, simple, but very effective instrumental passage with strings and a guitar solo leading it, it's SO INTENSE! just make you sure to hear it with loud speakers!

All in all, the album has a good bunch of enjoyable AOR/semi-Hard Rock tunes, more than those from The House of Blue Light, and definitely more entertaining than from those.

I find it a good album, there's barely 2 songs I don't enjoy from it, so I have to give it a 3 stars rating, with the definition of a 2 stars. It's good, but definitely for fans from Deep Purple AND Rainbow.

Send comments to The Quiet One (BETA) | Report this review (#215490) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Review by tarkus1980
2 stars Well, it was only a matter of time; Ritchie kicked Ian out of the band again. In came one of Ritchie's buddies from late-period Rainbow, one Joe Lynn Turner, bringing the Mk. count up to 5. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think Joe is a bad vocalist; heck, I like him way more than I do Coverdale. Furthermore, from a pure skill standpoint, he's a big improvement over late 80's Gillan. Unfortunately, while it is kinda nice to be rid of Ian's shattered vocals, those vocals at least made me remember at all times that I was listening to Deep Purple, even if only a shadow of prime Deep Purple. With Joe at the mic, though, there's NOTHING here to make me think I'm listening to a band significant enough for me to want to review them.

You have to forgive me, oh faithful reader; I just don't know how to adequately review an album like this, mostly because I tend to avoid music like this like the plague. I know that some people like this sort of music - I've even read somebody's claim that "Love Conquers All," a generic power-ballad that makes me puke up food that doesn't yet exist, is one of the best ballads ever written. I guess the rest of the album isn't as bad as it could be - once I get past the Final Fantasy synths and "evil" ominous vocal sounds that open the album, "King of Dreams" isn't that bad, "The Cut Runs Deep" is ok (I kinda like the segue from the generic Renaissance-like opening to the generic metallic riffage), and ... uh ... well, I don't passionately hate any single track on here (except for the aforementioned power ballad). "Fire in the Basement" actually has a decent opening riff, albeit a rip of "Wring that Neck." But sheesh, even those little details don't really save these songs, and there's not much I can figure out to say otherwise in the plus column. The album, as a whole, isn't that heavy, it's not that memorable, it's ... just a smoother, less awkward, slightly less artificial- sounding version of Blue Light, except without a couple of cool riffs or great guitar solo passages.

I guess I just can't understand why Ritchie thought the world needed more generic hair metal with stupid "mystical" album covers, or why the rest of the band members decided to shed all bits of individuality they might have had left. And honestly, I just don't understand how this could have ever been what "cool" people listened to. If ever there was an album that could remind me why Nirvana was a good and necessary thing for the music world, this is it. This isn't the worst music experience of my life, but it's hardly a time I'll look back on and cherish.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#658733) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 14, 2012

4 stars 8/10 This may be a surprise that more pleasing to my ears. You see, I was quite disappointed previous offers by Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers and The House of Blue Light. Between this album, Slaves and Masters, and his predecessor, held up three years, where Ian Gillian once again left t ... (read more)

Report this review (#912063) | Posted by voliveira | Sunday, February 10, 2013 | Review Permanlink

2 stars First off let me start by saying that I'm a huge Deep Purple fan, and they were my first love in music, and are still very dear to my heart. That being said, Slaves and Masters is the worst album they have ever made in my opinion. Joe Lynn Turner is a good singer, I'll admit that. He did a good ... (read more)

Report this review (#231012) | Posted by nikow | Tuesday, August 11, 2009 | Review Permanlink

1 stars I used to love this album back when I had it on a cassette tape. Well the tape broke and I hadn't heard it in years, and of course the album was out of print for a very long time so it wasn't easy to get it. Recently I saw a new edition for 5 bucks filed under Deep Purple. It is a very crappy edit ... (read more)

Report this review (#131443) | Posted by Salviaal | Thursday, August 02, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Overall, this is a superb album. The first side (1 to 4) are all true classics, the band sound really tight and fiery, not like the old 70s stuff but in a newer, sophisticated way. "King Of Dreams" is a tense, dramatic masterpiece, with great lyrics and a chorus which knocks you for six, ... (read more)

Report this review (#122796) | Posted by analogueaddict | Saturday, May 19, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Slaves and Masters, hated by many Deep Purple fans...It's certainly not prog, but it is wonderful! Joe Lynn Turner's only album and my favorite Deep Purple album (and I'm a big Deep Purple fan). But I tend to love the stuff nobody likes. The best track on here is "Too Much is Not Enough", kick ... (read more)

Report this review (#101491) | Posted by rainbow111 | Sunday, December 03, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album never will be considered how deserves. In fact Gillan if went of it (then will return) and Coverdale is not returned. At the voice there is the too much understimated Joe Lynn Turner, that does not do to regret Gillan. The music proposal is an AOR of easy listening, but of a large c ... (read more)

Report this review (#56956) | Posted by | Friday, November 18, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DEEP PURPLE "Slaves And Masters"