AQUALUNG LIVE

Good, but non-essential

Buy JETHRO TULL Music
Live, released in 2005

1. Aqualung (7:56)
2. Cross-Eyed Mary (4:34)
3. Cheap Day Return (1:43)
4. Mother Goose (5:39)
5. Wond'ring Aloud (2:00)
6. Up To Me (3:35)
7. My God (8:27)
8. Hymn 43 (4:22)
9. Slipstream (0:59)
10. Locomotive Breath (5:19)
11. Wind-Up (6:40)

Interviews:
12. Riffs - another monkey (1:27)
13. Recording the original (2:05)
14. Choosing my words with care (1:17)
15. Hummmmmm 43 (0:35)
16. A different kettle of very different fish (1:02)
17. But is it any good? (1:42)

Search JETHRO TULL Aqualung Live lyrics

Search JETHRO TULL Aqualung Live tabs

- Ian Anderson / vocals, flute, acoustic guitar
- Martin Barre / guitar
- Doane Perry / drums, percussion
- Andrew Giddings / piano, organ, keyboards
- Jonathan Noyce / bass

CD R&M / Roadrunner RR 8100-2 (2005)

Thanks to velvetclown for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

JETHRO TULL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy JETHRO TULL Aqualung Live Music

A Passion Play (2xCD+2xDVD)A Passion Play (2xCD+2xDVD)
Rhino 2014
Rhino 2014
WarchildWarchild
Very Best of Jethro TullVery Best of Jethro Tull
Parlophone 2001
The Best of Jethro Tull; The Anniversary CollectionThe Best of Jethro Tull; The Anniversary Collection
Parlophone 2008
MICK ABRAHAMS BAND-atlast '72 UK LP ORIG+DIECUT RARER 2ND PROG. JETHRO TULL US $160.00 [0 bids]
50m 19s
JETHRO TULL Interview Vintage Music Press Article/Cutting 1971 US $19.48 Buy It Now 54m 45s
JETHRO TULL Single Review JIMMY CLIFF Vintage Music Press Article/Cutting 1970 US $19.48 Buy It Now 54m 45s
STEPPENWOLF Live LP Advert JETHRO TULL Article Vintage Music Press Cutting 1970 US $19.48 Buy It Now 54m 45s
JETHRO TULL PERU THE BEST OF US $59.99 Buy It Now 55m 44s
JETHRO TULL: Live Bursting Out (Rock & Pop Chrysalis CH2-1201 Vinyl Double LP) US $7.00 Buy It Now 57m 50s
Jethro Tull Steel Monkey 7" 1987 UK NM Vinyl Ian Anderson Martin Barre Art Rock US $11.95 Buy It Now 58m 53s
JETHRO TULL Benefit 1970 LP orig US Reprise RS6400 EX+ US $19.00 Buy It Now 1h
Jethro Tull - The Essential Collection CD Album US $6.48 Buy It Now 1h 3m
PROMO WHITE LABEL / JETHRO TULL THE BEST OF , REPEAT / WITH OBI US $199.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
JETHRO TULL Superb 4 page Music Press Article/Cutting 1971 US $19.48 Buy It Now 1h 23m
JETHRO TULL Bursting Out Remastered Double CD NEW & SEALED US $16.15 Buy It Now 1h 34m
JETHRO TULL Benefit LP VINYL 1st PRESS 1970 MADE IN BRAZIL Chrysalis US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Rare OOP Jethro Tull Original Masters Cd 1st Press 1985 Chrysalis Records US $10.12 Buy It Now 1h 37m
JETHRO TULL..LIVING IN THE PAST..GOOD COPY OF 1969 ISLAND PROG ROCK 7" WIP-6056 US $6.48 Buy It Now 1h 43m
JETHRO TULL Lap Of Luxury 12" Fairport Convention Yes Focus Camel / Chrysalis 84 US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Music 8-Track Tape Cartridge Jethro Tull Repeat The Best of Vol II Works 1977 US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Music 8-Track Tape Cartridge Jethro Tull Living in The Past Works Vintage US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 8m
JETHRO TULL 16 (MARTIN BARRE) PHOTO PRINT US $4.46 Buy It Now 2h 41m
JETHRO TULL 16 (MARTIN BARRE) PHOTO PRINT US $10.96 Buy It Now 2h 41m
War Child by Jethro Tull (CD, Sep-2000, Capitol/EMI Records) US $4.25 [3 bids]
JETHRO TULL LIVING IN THE PAST ALBUM US $5.00 [0 bids]
JETHRO TULL STAND UP ALBUM US $5.00 [0 bids]
JETHRO TULL Nothing Is Easy Live at the Isle of Wight 1970 CD+DVD NEW US $14.53 Buy It Now 2h 59m
JETHRO TULL MINSTREL IN THE GALLERY LP GREEN LABEL WITH INNER SLEEVE UK US $35.72 Buy It Now 3h 8m
JETHRO TULL BROADSWORD AND THE BEAST LP PROMO(TITLES PRINTED IN SPANISH) ARGENTI US $35.72 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Jethro Tull LP Songs From The Wood CHR 1132 VG+ US $2.99 Buy It Now 3h 13m
Best of JETHRO TULL Anniversary Collection 36 Songs Varied Arrangements US $32.51 Buy It Now 3h 16m
JETHRO TULL WAR CHILD LP GREEN LABEL WITH INNER SLEEVE 1974 UK US $35.72 Buy It Now 3h 22m
JETHRO TULL-STORMWATCH-RARE YUGO LP 1979+INNER/LYRICS US $19.00 Buy It Now 3h 25m
JETHRO TULL A Passion Play Orig 1973 Vinyl LP Gatefold NM w/Program Attached US $5.00 [0 bids]
JETHRO TULL BROADSWORD AND THE BEAST LP 1982 SOUTH AFRICAN US $35.72 Buy It Now 3h 30m
JETHRO TULL A LP WITH INSERT UK US $19.48 Buy It Now 3h 30m
IAN ANDERSON WALK INTO LIGHT LP PROMO(JETHRO TULL) ARGENTINIAN US $27.60 Buy It Now 3h 34m
IAN ANDERSON WALK INTO LIGHT LP WITH INNER 1983 (JETHRO TULL) UK US $16.23 Buy It Now 3h 40m
JETHRO TULL HEAVY HORSES LP BLUE LABEL WITH TEXTURED COVER AND INNER SLEEVE UK US $22.73 Buy It Now 3h 42m
JETHRO TULL - UNDER WRAPS 1984 - UK TOUR PROGRAMME US $21.41 Buy It Now 3h 45m
JETHRO TULL STORMWATCH LP 1979 WITH INNER SLEEVE (CORNER CUT) USA US $19.48 Buy It Now 3h 45m
Jethro Tull / CD / Catfish Rising / F221863 / Chrysalis US $2.99 [1 bids]
Jethro Tull / CD / Roots to Branches / 7243 8 35418 2 9 US $2.99 [0 bids]
JETHRO TULL BEST OF VOL 1 LP ITALIAN ONLY ITALIAN US $27.60 Buy It Now 3h 55m
JETHRO TULL ORIGINAL MASTERS LP 1985 BEST OF ALBUM UK US $19.48 Buy It Now 3h 58m
JETHRO TULL - STAND UP LP rare israel press GATEFOLD israeli US $39.99 Buy It Now 4h
Progressive Rock Strikes Back Japan Book Pink Floyd Yes King Crimson Jethro Tull US $69.99 Buy It Now 4h 2m
LOT OF 20 ROCK CD's 100% ORIGINAL Bruce Springsteen, Jethro Tull, US $30.00 Buy It Now 4h 3m
JETHRO TULL STORMWATCH LP WITH INSERT (SOME WATER DAMAGE ON BACK COVER,ANOTHER C US $19.48 Buy It Now 4h 5m
M.U.-THE BEST OF JETHRO TULL 1975 CHRYSALIS RECORDS LP CHR 1078 EXC. VG+ US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 7m
7" 45 EP w/PS JETHRO TULL Ring Out Solstice Bells - March NM- CXP-2 UK EB681 US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 8m
LP JETHRO TULL Heavy Horses US $24.35 Buy It Now 4h 17m
Wild Turkey Battle Hymn Japan Promo White Label Vinyl LP Jethro Tull US $119.99 Buy It Now 4h 19m
JETHRO TULL A LP RE-ISSUE UK US $16.23 Buy It Now 4h 24m
JETHRO TULL ROCK ISLAND LP PROMO ARGENTINIAN US $35.72 Buy It Now 4h 24m
JETHRO TULL LIVING IN THE PAST LP DOUBLE IN G/FOLD COVER WITH BOOKLET AND GREEN US $27.60 Buy It Now 4h 25m
JETHRO TULL REPEAT-BEST OF TULL VOL II LP GREEN LABEL UK US $16.23 Buy It Now 4h 26m
RARE!! JETHRO TULL- ISRAELI DIFF ORANGE ISLAND F/LAM LP US $28.00 Buy It Now 4h 26m
JETHRO TULL Songs from the Wood UNIQUE ISRAELI DIFF COVER w/FRONT-HEBREW RARE LP US $31.50 Buy It Now 4h 26m
CHRISTIE YELLOW RIVER 1969 VG++ HEAR IT US $14.00 Buy It Now 4h 26m
FRIJID PINK EARTH OMEN RARE DJ ISSUE 1972 VG+ TO VG++ HEAR IT US $27.00 Buy It Now 4h 27m
Jethro Tull Heavy Horses [LP] 12" Radio Station Copy Promo vinyl (EX) US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 28m
PEOPLE'S CHOICE TURN ME LOOSE WHITE LABEL PROMO VG++ HEAR IT US $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 29m
JETHRO TULL CREST OF A KNAVE LP WITH INNER UK US $16.23 Buy It Now 4h 29m
JETHRO TULL: Aqualung (Rock & Pop Reprise MS-2035 Vinyl LP) US $9.94 [0 bids]
JETHRO TULL: This Was (Rock & Pop Reprise RS-6336 VG+ Vinyl LP) US $9.94 [0 bids]
JETHRO TULL: A Passion Play (Rock & Pop Chrysalis CHR-1040 VG+/VG+ Vinyl LP) US $9.94 [0 bids]
JETHRO TULL: Thick As A Brick (Rock & Pop Reprise MS-2072 Vinyl LP) US $9.94 [0 bids]
Jethro Tull. This Was lp. Mono, first pressing. Rare US $162.33 [0 bids]
Jethro Tull. 20 years of.Limited Box collection. rare. x5 vinly lp's US $81.16 [0 bids]
Jethro Tull Heavy Horses Folk Blues Rock cassette 1978 G condition OOP CCH 1175 US $7.49 Buy It Now 4h 41m
Songs From The Wood - Jethro Tull US $1.50 [0 bids]
Blodwyn Pig - Ahead Rings Out CD + 7 Trks Blues Rock Remastered Jethro Tull US $8.10 Buy It Now 5h
Jethro Tull The London Symphony Orchestra Ian Adnerson JD-14235 Bouree Stereo LP US $7.95 Buy It Now 5h 12m
JETHRO TULL -- THICK AS A BRICK , SINGLE US $14.24 Buy It Now 5h 18m
Jethro Tull - Benefit - Album Record 12' LP US $5.65 [0 bids]
JETHRO TULL MINSTREL IN THE GALLERY JAPAN MINI LP CD US $79.99 Buy It Now 5h 25m
JETHRO TULL Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young To Die! 1976 UK Vinyl LP 1st set US $64.92 Buy It Now 5h 30m
Jethro Tull-My God!-Rare LP-Athapaskan-S 2253-Vinyl Record- US $9.99 [0 bids]
JETHRO TULL-THIS WAS-JAPAN CD C68 US $19.99 Buy It Now 5h 39m
Jethro Tull Vinyl LP Chrysalis Records,1977 CHR 1132, Songs from the Wood ~ NM-! US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 43m
JETHRO TULL ORIGINAL TOUR PROGRAMME-'UNDER WRAPS' TOUR US $16.23 [0 bids]
JEFFERSON STARSHIP GOLD PICTURE DISC VG++ US $12.00 Buy It Now 5h 47m
THE DOORS L.A. WOMEN RARE GERMAN ISSUE VG++ HEAR IT US $26.00 Buy It Now 5h 48m
THE DOORS 13 RARE GERMAN ISSUE VG++ TO NM- HEAR IT US $20.00 Buy It Now 5h 49m
SAMANTHA FOX TOUCH ME RARE GERMAN DIRECT METAL MASTERED VG++ HEAR IT US $20.00 Buy It Now 5h 49m
DAVID BOWIE ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS VIRGIN 45 SEALED US $14.00 Buy It Now 5h 49m
Jethro Tull - Benefit - Collectors Edition (NEW 2 x CD+DVD) US $32.45 Buy It Now 5h 50m
Jethro Tull Benefit 2011 EMI/Japan TOCP54294 Bonus Songs Brand New Ian Anderson US $35.99 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Jethro Tull - Living With The Past / Live At Montreux 2003 / Jack (NEW DVD SET) US $24.34 Buy It Now 6h
Jethro Tull - A - 1980 Chrysalis Records CDL 1301 Vinyl US $16.23 Buy It Now 6h
JETHRO TULL-A PASSION PLAY-JAPAN CD C68 US $19.99 Buy It Now 6h 3m
JETHRO TULL A Passion Play w/BOOKLET 1973 CHRYSALIS CHR 1040 VG++/VG++ LP US $24.99 Buy It Now 6h 4m
Jethro Tull 'Stand Up' UK 1969 Pink Island label ILPS 9103 US $17.05 [9 bids]
Jethro Tull Aqualung + Grand Funk Caught in the Act Reel to Reel - Rare Find US $149.99 Buy It Now 6h 18m
JETHRO TULL-AQUALUNG-JAPAN CD C68 US $19.99 Buy It Now 6h 21m
AQUALUNG. PAR JETHRO TULL 1 CD. US $7.22 Buy It Now 6h 28m
30 CHRISTMAS STARS 2 CD SET Jethro Tull, Kenny Loggins, Judy Collins US $6.99 Buy It Now 6h 32m
Jethro Tull RARE PROMOTIONAL 1ST PRESSING BURSTING OUT LIVE 2 VINYL LP SET XLNT US $16.95 [0 bids]
JETHRO TULL BENEFIT REISSUE VINYL LP IAN ANDERSON MARTIN BARRE et al MOST XLNT US $6.95 [0 bids]
Jethro Tull UNDER WRAPS ORIG TEXTURED vinyl LP FV41461 STONE COLD MINT in SHRINK US $7.95 [0 bids]
Jethro Tull War Child vinyl LP CH41067 1974 IAN ANDERSON MARTIN BARRE et al MINT US $7.95 [0 bids]
JETHRO TULL SONGS FROM THE WOOD ORIG CHR1132 VINYL LP NEAR MINT US $19.95 [0 bids]

More places to buy JETHRO TULL music online Buy JETHRO TULL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for JETHRO TULL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

JETHRO TULL Aqualung Live ratings distribution

JETHRO TULL Aqualung Live reviews

Review by belz
2 stars 2.4/5.0

As much as I am a Jethro Tull fan and enjoyed the original Aqualung, I must say that this one is disappointing and it seems that JT has succombed to the massive-releases commercial hysteria. I just want to be clear: this one is for the money. I just don't see any other interest for them to release that beside money.

That said, the quality of the recording is good, but Anderson realized the difficult task to transform a great progressive theme song like Aqualung into a radio- commercial rock-pop boring piece. Overall, this is not a bad album, but it is really useless and is not even close to the original one and after some listening I realized that one of its main problem is the overwhelming presence of Anderson's voice; back then music was the main thing, now it seems it's the voice... and money!

For collectors or huge fans only. 2.4/5.0

Send comments to belz (BETA) | Report this review (#73464) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars Of limited interest for the newbie to prog, this live version of such a classic album as Aqualung is certainly quite a pleasure for confirmed Tullheads. One of the interesting thing is that those songs are recorded (at a radio's initiative) by the latest Tull line-up and some of those musos were not even born when the album got its release. One of my best joy has been to compare how those songs done live compare with the original studio version and I can say it is a great success: there were adaptations done here and there, but overall the song remain true to their original spirit. The songs are played in the original sequences of the album and only Cheap Day Return is coupled with my fave Mother Goose (there is a keyboard intervening imitating an accordion for an example of adaptation). Everyone of those songs gets a superb treatment and it is clear now for those that thought so, that there was not one single track weaker than the stronger and rockier ones. Actually this album tends to magnify the beauty of the shorter and more acoustic tracks that might have been over-looked at in the original album. It was a real curiosity to see how My God would translate on to stage, and they do not try to escape the choir parts, but clearly this might be the only slight weakness, but except for that, only good comes out of that radio broadcast. We are also treated to an extended intro of Locomotive Breath but more importantly an exquisite intro-ed Hymn 43 (I always that the track lacked it on the original album).

As bonus to the album, we get the interviews and in between songs banter with the typical Anderson humour. A treat, but like the remastered version of Aqualung or Thick As A Brick, those interviews are a bit of a pain with repeated listening, but nothing that a skip or eject button cannot fix quickly.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#74269) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 07, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars This live representation of the whole album was a good initiative from XM Satellite Radio (one of the two major of the genre in the US). It was also a benefit event : profits generated by the CD were distributed to several non-profit organizations caring for homeless people (it is the second time that Tull does this, first one being with the "Nightcap" album).

The original album is one of my Tull fave (together with "Thick" and "Minstrel". I was quite enthusistic to hear this "remake" some thirty-four years. I must say that the result is rather satisfactory (but in this case I admit that I'm biased).

I really like this live representation. Even the short & accoustic songs which I considered as transition tracks on the original album sounds fresher and better here. Ian's fluting sounds cristal clear and has never been better (IMO). The highlights are "My God" of which an earlier version is available from their live contribution at the Isle Of Wight festival back in ... 1971. This version is far much better. Even the dificult part with the choir is brilliantly interpreted.

"Locomotive" and "Wind-Up" sound also great. The latter being more interesting since it was played very scarcely in its entirety (even during the "Aqualung" tour. Most of the times, it was either played as the intro or as a reprise (but played partially) or placed in a medley of songs.

I even find the interview parts interesting (even if there are some redundancy with Ian's interview on the remastered version of "Aqualung" in which he described extensively - over ten minutes - the genesis of the recording).

Ian's incredible sense of humour is also to be noticed when he says in his last words from the interview called "But Is This Any Good" : "Thanks again for coming and thanks to XM-radio for playing hosts of this quite lamentable indeed atrocious event, but we did our best for you" !

I have rated the original "Aqualung" five stars but since some numbers are not on par with the original (like "Cross-Eyed Mary" and "Mother Goose" as well as the title track) I will rate this one four stars.

This might well be one of last effort from the band (except new compilations or live records); since at the time of reviewing, no specific information is available on their web- site in terms of new material.

The good news (for me) is that their tour is going to stop in Brussels in June and that a Tull concert is something I would not miss at this time of their career (might be their last one, but I hope not). This also closes my Tull's reviews (thirty-five in total).

It was very emotional to travel through their entire work : from "This Was" to this "Aqualung" live. Lots of great albums, some weak ones (only two or three). Thank you very much Mr. Anderson and Mr. Barre and "Chapeau" (French for : I take my hat off for you) for your brilliant work.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#110461) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 02, 2007

Review by The Whistler
4 stars I'm still not sure if I'm one hundred percent qualified to review Aqualung Live. After all, I've only owned it a day...and I've never heard the original...but still, that should not be the point of this album! If it were ONLY about comparison with Aqualung Studio, then it would deserve no more or less than some form of a three star rating: as good as it was, as enjoyable as the material could be, it'd still just be a copy.

But that's not so with Live, and anyone would be a fool to think so. After all, if Tull was capable of one thing, it was kicking ass live. Period. Ian, as he said in the cleverly crafted liner notes, viewed this recording as less a retread and a rethinking of the album at large (Whistler! You're fan-boying again!).

Sorry. Anyway, the final product that is Aqualung Live is, when taken as a live album instead of a re-recorded studio album, pretty damn good. Of course, there are certain limitations with our musicians (more on that later), and, regardless of my haughty opinions, comparison with the original IS inevitable; and of course it can't quite measure up. Not that it exactly tries...

Alright, enough of that. I'll try to be brief, since you (think you) have heard all this before. "Aqualung" is our opener; shortened a little lyrically, but the live version has always been essentially a yummy casing for a delicious Martin Barre solo. He doesn't disappoint; a little more metallic, but that's fine with me.

"Cross-Eyed Mary" is sufficiently angry. Maybe 'cause it's so metal. "Cheap Day Return" is still beautiful, perhaps more so with Ian's breaking voice, even if it stays on a little too long. Never thought I'd say that about "Cheap."

The number I want to talk about is "Mother Goose." Might be my favorite number on the album. It's played essentially by the book (Giddings even comes out with some accordion...unless it's a synth. Sounds tasty either way), until the midsection, when it turns into a folksy instrumental showdown between, well, everyone. Ian puffs out some truly gorgeous flute, and Doane even has a little drum solo, but it's cool! Real cool in fact. It's rhythmic rather than showoffy, the bass is backing him up (unless he's backing up a bass solo?), and it's kept short. Very "Inna Gadda da Vida" that. Er, except the length...

"Wond'ring Aloud" is essentially what it always was: short, dry, pretty. "Up To Me" is colder than before, turned over mostly to Barre's acoustic, except the odd flute/keyboard duel. "My God" is kind of fun, since they actually recreate the gothic flute 'n chant midsection. I guess it's a keyboard of some sort...unless Marty was high or something. Anyway, it works. Fantastic ending too (turn your speakers to eleven...like you haven't already).

The second number to undergo a huge facelift is "Hymn 43." Arguably the hardest bit on the original, now it's a Celtic jig! A headbangin' one at that. And, what's more, it totally works! They have me sold on "Hymn 43" being a Celtic jig! I guess if anyone could, it'd be Ian...great flute of course. And in the end, it creeps back into the violent rocker, no sin in that.

"Slipstream" might be better with the end chopped off, but was that synth really necessary? Oh well. "Locomotive Breath" seems a little hurried compared to the great stagey lengths it used to take. But, it ain't the last number no more, is it? It's extra bloozy this time, and real good. As usual. Our new finisher "Wind Up" is either more or less energetic; I mean, Ian and Martin rip it up, but Doane and Noyce can't compare with, uh, you-know-who.

Now wait, you say, where's my Ian banter? Well, all those cleverly named tracks stockpile at the end are just that! You can look at 'em yourself. They're at the end so that you don't HAVE to listen to 'em if you don't want, but they are kind of cute (or whacky or wryly humorous); "Riffs: Another Monkey" and "Hummmm 43" are probably my favorites. And, some more Zep Leppelin trivia. Oh, what the hell, they're all great! From a diehard point of view, of course...

So, here we are at the end of yet another live Tuller album. And, how's it stack up? Not so bad. Just like any of the others, there's some surprises, some stage retools, some witticisms, some breathtakingly beautiful flute riffage, some blisteringly heavy Barre-tar. A drum solo...

One thing I'm happy with is that this sounds like a live album; remember, it's Aqualung LIVE. If I just wanted the Aqualung part, well, I've already got a warehouse full of that what with all the compilations. But on this sucker we also get the all the stage trips and rebounds, the audience sounds and gentle mix of musicians.

And, what about those musicians? Well, Ian and Martin are in top form. As usual. Marty jumps back and forth between his patented heavy blues and classical folk. Ian does likewise, just on a flute this time. And it's really his show, of course; and his voice is actually not bad, all things considered. I mean, it's not like the great old days, but still, I think I mentioned somewhere up there that the breaking vocals sometimes add to the acoustic numbers.

The new guys? Well, I always said that Andy Giddings was the best guy they had on the 'boards since John Evan, he's great. This Jonathon Noyce fella doesn't do anything offensive. Or spectacular. And what of Doane Perry, my ancient nemesis? Well, he's...okay. Maybe even better. A little. At least, when he sticks to (how can I say this politely) dumbed down drum riffs...excuse me, SUBTLE drum riffs, he churns 'em out pretty good. A little class with the acoustic percussion even.

From the diehard point of view, this is essential. ESSENTIAL. I mean, how many other versions of "Hymn 43" as an Irish dance are you gonna get? Hmm...how many other versions of "Hymn 43" ARE you gonna get? Legally, of course. But, even from the point of view of a standard issue Tull fan, I think it's a little better than the standard issue "good, but not essential."

Especially if you liked that Aqualung thing. In fact, it's a lot like that, only different!

Send comments to The Whistler (BETA) | Report this review (#129115) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Aqualung Live is the entire content of the original masterpiece Aqualung played as a radio performance and it absolutely rocks but is nowhere near the original. Every track is given a fresh approach and is notably reinvented on many occasions in the only way Anderson knows how. He sings at times with indifference and he splurts through his flute, and loses it completely at one stage. But it is very entertaining and, although fans would know every track by heart, the new approach is refreshing.

As I said on the original Aqualung review , the Aqualung riff is one of the best in rock history and is given a full blown treatment on this live rendition. Anderson spits out the lyrics: "snot running down his nose, greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes... feeling like a dead duck, spitting out pieces of his broken luck". The driving erratic rock riffage is broken by an acoustic interlude "sun streaking cold the old man wanders lonely taking time the only way he knows..." and then we have the rocked up section, "do you still remember December's foggy breeze...." and then Martin Barre's awesome lead break screams in the same fashion as the original although this version has a lengthy section that works well.

The rest of the performance features all the classic Aqualung tracks we have grown to love over the years. Cross Eyed Mary is similar in content with its chaotic pentameter and time signature, flute and guitar are perfectly juxtaposed. Even Anderson admits to the audience that some of these tracks are rather as "strange as I remembered it." The tracks that run for less than a minute are a perfect example and it is rather weird to hear these updated versions. The best tracks are of course My God, Hymn 43, Mother Goose and great overblown tracks such as Locomotive Breath which became a single and ripped up the charts. The original album is one of the most popular Tull, and the band have played it in its entirety many times even before this radio performance. The bonus tracks are interesting snippets of information about the album. Anderson said emphatically it's not a concept album, "just a bunch of songs", but we fans know better don't we? Overblown concept albums are a Tull trademark and here it sits. Anderson talks about the riff for Aqualung - Anderson states the riff was based on Beethoven's classic dadada duuuuum, dadada duuuuuuuuum symphony and this makes a lot of sense. The interview stuff is only worth hearing once but it's nice to learn all this from the horse's mouth so to speak.

In conclusion, I guess there is no replacing the original, but this live version of the classic is a pleasant surprise and recommended as a complimentary work, rather than a substitute, to the original masterpiece.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#208446) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Review by snobb
3 stars I own this rare edition of Aqualung Live. What can I say - I am not hard Jethro Tull fan, so may be I am looking on this release more as regular listener.

Fisrt of all , it is a collection of strong songs, and it's a big benefit of this album. Yes, all of them are well known, but all of them sound slightly different. And it is not re-release or "The Best of ..." type collection.It's new recordings from original musicians.

Again, it sounds a little bit more commercial, shorter, more acceptable for wide audience. Don't think it's a good difference.

Worst thing for me is second (non-musical ) part of the CD. Yes, die-hard fans can listen it, even may be a few times (during all their life), but what for it is for regular listener?

All in all - good album with some weak points.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#235623) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 29, 2009

Review by UMUR
3 stars "Aqualung Live" is a live album by UK progressive/folk rock act Jethro Tull. The album was released through RandM Records/Fuel 2000 Records in the UK in September 2005 and in the US in March 2006. "Aqualung Live" was recorded for a radio broadcast show in front of a select crowd of about 40 fans who had won the tickets for the show on Jethro Tullīs homepage. As the name says it is a live recording of the full "Aqualung (1971)" album. An album thatīs widely considered a classic in the bandīs discography (and probably in rock music in general). When I purchased the album I initially thought it was a forgotten live recording from 1971, but that is certainly not the case. As bandleader Ian Anderson says in the booklet, most of the 2005 band, who recorded "Aqualung Live", were in their infancy or not even born yet when Aqualung was released.

While I consider the original album one of the greatest albums in Jethro Tullīs discography, these live version sound a bit tired and uninspired to me. Itīs a well played, pretty well produced and well performed (Ianīs vocals are not as strong as they used to be though) album, but the issue is probably that these live versions of the tracks donīt add much to the originals and I suspect that live shows from back in the day were more energetic and featured an edge that is completely lacking here. This is not a bad album by any means it just doesnīt impress me as much as I had hoped it would. A 2.5 - 3 star (55%) rating is warranted.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#249193) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 09, 2009

Review by Gatot
4 stars How Tull are You?

Well, who does not know Jethro Tull the Scottish band? If you declare yourself as a progrock fan you must have known the band long time ago. The were established end of the 60s and I find it still enjoyable listening to their very old album like "Benefits" or "This Was". In 1971, they released Aqualung, which most people (music critics) say it's a sardonic rant on organized religion or something like that. There was tremendous change in their musical style but their roots were still there in Aqualung. But we recognize the music of Tull referring to Aqualung because it has become the signature sound for the band until now. Tull vocalist and multi-instrumentalist Ian Anderson, original guitarist Martin Barre, and new additions Doane Perry, Andrew Giddings and Jonathan Noyce accepted an invitation from XM satellite radio to record a live performance of the album for a small group of invited fans. Fuel Records has released this concert on CD. Anderson and the band are donating the royalties to charities serving the homeless.

For those of you who are familiar with the signature sound of Tull in Aqualung would find this CD is an excellent addition to any Tull fan's collection. Actually most of the performances are straight version of the original, but there are some new arrangements that are obvious especially to respect new musicians like Giddings' accordion part of "Mother Goose". The classics "Aqualung", "Locomotive Breath" and "Cross-eyed Mary" (my favourite) were performed really well with some improvisations from original version, especially on guitar part.

I would recommend this to those of you who have been the band's fan for a long time and wanting to hear how they perform recently. Keep on proggin'...!!!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#249443) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 09, 2009

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars I know it wasn't really necessary, but it's kind of nice to hear what Jethro Tull could do with one of their most popular albums thirty four years after it was first released. Okay, I admit it, it's not really the same band, as only Ian Anderson and Martin Barre are still in the group after all this time. But three and a half decades later, and that much older, Tull is a more relaxed group, and at times it makes the album a treat.

The drawback primarily is Anderson's famous diminished voice. While he does a fair job of masking his lack of range, on such well known classics like the title piece, it's too obvious that he just can't hit the notes anymore.

The best parts are where the band stretches out. My God is nice, with an extended flute solo, that doesn't turn into God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, as JT has been playing it on recent tours. And Hymn 43 played as an Irish jig is exquisite. It didn't really need to be played again it it's more familiar form.

It's a nice album, but in no way essential.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#560568) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 31, 2011

4 stars I was pretty lucky to get this album on the local store. The seller told me it's a limited edition, and they have only few copies of it. Here we have exactly what is written in the title, a live performance of the whole Aqualung album. This is a performance in the presence of a small audience, ... (read more)

Report this review (#98690) | Posted by ShW1 | Monday, November 13, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I fine album with excellent production values in a live setting with the usual Ian Anderson asides in between songs that all Tull fans love. Yes, Ian's voice isn't as good as it used to be and it hurts the album overall a bit. But its such a refreshing rendition of the classic Aqualung album th ... (read more)

Report this review (#89869) | Posted by indelibo | Sunday, September 17, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars A few months ago, I was able to see Jethro Tull in concert and received this free cd. It is a redone version of all of Aqualung, and it is done very well. The weakpoint is that Ian's voice has never been as strong since his throat problems in the 80's. However, his flute playing has improved e ... (read more)

Report this review (#62735) | Posted by | Sunday, January 01, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This is pretty cool. You have to go to a Tull concert to get it, and its pretty cool. Just Aqualung live, with some otherstuff on it. They play some of the songs differntly which is pretty cool. Go see'em, you get this, and you get a great great show. They were awesome! ... (read more)

Report this review (#57357) | Posted by | Monday, November 21, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars OK. Feels weird to be the first one to review an album. Right. I've been a die-hard Tull fan for the past 25 years, and I have just decided to review all their albums for future generations to enjoy, starting with this one. I have to admit that I've never been a huge fan of the original Aqualun ... (read more)

Report this review (#48313) | Posted by | Sunday, September 25, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of JETHRO TULL "Aqualung Live"