NOBODY'S PERFECT

Good, but non-essential

Buy DEEP PURPLE Music
Live, released in 1988

1. Highway Star (6:10)
2. Strange Kind Of Woman (7:34)
3. Dead Or Alive (6:50) (Cassette and extended CD only)
4. Perfect Strangers (6:25)
5. Hard Lovin' Woman (5:03)
6. Bad Attitude (5:31) (Not on original CD release)
7. Knocking At Your Back Door (11:26)
8. Child In Time (10:35)
9. Lazy (5:10)
10. Space Trucking (6:03) (Not on original CD release)
11. Black Night (6:06)
12. Woman From Tokyo (4:00)
13. Smoke On The Water (7:46)
15. Hush (Live studio jam) (3:50)

Search DEEP PURPLE Nobody's perfect lyrics

Roger Glover / Bass
Ian Gillan / Vocals

2 LP - UK Polydor PODV 10 835 897.1
2 LP - USA Mercury 835 897.1
CD - Polydor 835 897 (Single CD)
2CD - Polydor 546 128-2 UN 812

Thanks to spide for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

DEEP PURPLE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DEEP PURPLE Nobody's perfect Music

Deluxe Edition · CD+DVD · Extra tracks
Eagle Rock Entertainment 2013
FireballFireball
Rhino Flashback 2008
DEEP PURPLE - Machine Head / Burn CD (1998) MINT CDMAXIMUM RUSSIAN PRESS US $9.99 Buy It Now 38m 32s
ROCK THE WORLD VOL.3 Various CD 12 Track Featuring Deep Purple, Santana, Atomic US $8.46 Buy It Now 39m 11s
Deep Purple - Come Hell Or High Water [CD New] US $37.67 Buy It Now 42m 17s
DEEP PURPLE Burn JAPAN Limited 24k GOLD CD 1999 W/Obi MEGA RARE!! US $149.00 Buy It Now 44m 14s
Deep Purple - The Battle Rages On (1993) - CD US $3.99 [0 bids]
44m 33s
DEEP PURPLE Live In JAPAN 24k GOLD CD 1999 W/Obi MEGA RARE!! US $139.00 Buy It Now 52m 42s
DEEP PURPLE In Rock JAPAN 24k GOLD CD 1999 W/Obi MEGA RARE! US $139.00 Buy It Now 53m 52s
DEEP PURPLE - NOW WHAT? CD & DVD SET (April 29th 2013) US $22.59 Buy It Now 53m 52s
DEEP PURPLE - NOW WHAT? CD ALBUM (April 29th 2013) US $17.75 Buy It Now 57m 32s
LP DEEP PURPLE 24 CARAT PURPLE EMI TPSM 2002 EX/EX US $9.67 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Ian Gillan Band Clear Air Turbulence CD *SEALED* 1998 (Deep Purple) US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
deep purple JON LORD THE COUNTRY DIARY near mint 1984 UK VINYL 45 SINGLE US $16.15 [0 bids]
Deep Purple Machine Head LP WB Green Label Original US $20.00 [0 bids]
Deep Purple Who Do We Think We Are LP WB Burbank Label US $15.00 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE stormbringer UK LP PURPLE 1st press KENDUN A1 US $32.28 [0 bids]
Deep Purple - Anthems (2000) US $6.28 Buy It Now 1h 28m
DONNY & MARIE OSMOND: Deep Purple / Take Me Back Again 45 Rock & Pop US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 29m
DEEP PURPLE Nobody's Perfect 2LP Vinyl Record Album 33rpm German Polydor 1988 EX US $27.44 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Deep Purple [CD New] US $8.38 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Deep Purple - Essential CD - Excellent Collection Inc. "Smoke On The Water" US $4.83 Buy It Now 1h 34m
DEEP PURPLE - The Book of Taliesyn (EMI #CDP 7 92408 2 - UK, 1989) + BONUS CD! US $8.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple - Burn 180gm Vinyl [Vinyl New] US $32.44 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Deep Purple - Live In Europe [CD New] US $7.69 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Deep Purple - Early Years [CD New] US $5.92 Buy It Now 1h 44m
DEEP PURPLE Shades Of Deep Purple LP PARLOPHONE UK 1969 PCS7055 Glossy Cover NM- US $216.89 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Jon Lord - Gemini Suite - Capitol 1971 - VG+ Deep Purple US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 46m
DEEP PURPLE - Shades of Deep Purple NEW SEALED IMPORT CASSETTE TAPE US $3.98 Buy It Now 1h 52m
Gary Moore.We Want Moore Double LP.GMDL1. 1984.RUSH.Deep Purple,Ian Paice. US $3.55 [2 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - MADE IN JAPAN - DIFFERENT COVER - RARE - URUGUAY (4pics) US $90.00 Buy It Now 2h 7m
DEEP PURPLE JAPAN OBI ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA US $39.99 Buy It Now 2h 8m
DEEP PURPLE machine head UK LP PURPLE A-1/B-1 press US $8.06 [0 bids]
metalmania,pressed ex yugo iron maiden,deep purple,white snake,scorpions,sammy) US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 12m
DEEP PURPLE - ESSENTIAL DEEP PURPLE CD US $7.88 Buy It Now 2h 16m
DEEP PURPLE ** FIREBAL / DEMON'S EYE - EMI / HARVEST RECORDS VINYL EXCELLENT US $9.67 Buy It Now 2h 17m
DEEP PURPLE-DEEPEST PURPLE/VERY BEST CASSETTE MINT COND // ROLLING STONES/ YES US $13.04 [0 bids]
Deep Purple - Fireball 12" LP Harvest Re-issue 1971 EX+/EX+ US $8.07 [0 bids]
Deep Purple - Last Concert In Japan 12" LP Harvest 1978 Pathe Marconi EX+/EX+ US $11.30 [0 bids]
Blackmore's Rainbow STRANGER IN US Japan Import OBI MiniLP DEEP PURPLE US Seller US $32.99 Buy It Now 2h 40m
When We Rock, We Rock & When We Roll, We Roll by Deep Purple (CD,warner brothers US $10.00 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE / LAST CONCERT IN JAPAN LP w/ Insert ORIG JAPAN ISSUE US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 43m
DEEP PURPLE "Machine Head" Lp Vinyl Gatefold 1972 - 1st Pressing VG+ Lyrics US $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 47m
DEEP PURPLE - Smoke On The Water - UK 2012 RSD 7" - PURPLE VINYL US $5.98 [5 bids]
Deep Purple Lot 3 LP Deepest Purple + Come Taste The Band + Burn - NM NM VG+ US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 56m
deep purple lp when we rock, we rock.... prk 3223 vg+/vg+ US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 57m
Deep Purple - Perfect Stranger 12" LP 1984 NM/NM Polydor US $9.69 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - Deepest Purple, 1982 UK LP...... CLEAN COPY US $6.44 [1 bids]
SENSATIONAL ALEX HARVEY BAND Live LP Vertiogo Balck Sabbath SAHB Deep Purple LP US $1.60 [0 bids]
3h
DEEP PURPLE MIGHT JUST TAKE YOUR LIFE/ CORONARIAS REDIG PURPLE RECORDS PUR 117 US $11.29 [0 bids]
VARIOUS ARTISTS**RE-MACHINED: TRIBUTE TO DEEP PURPLE'S MACHINE HEAD**VINYL US $15.69 Buy It Now 3h 3m
SENSATIONAL ALEX HARVEY BAND SAHB Stories LP Vertigo Balck Sabbath Deep Purple US $1.60 [0 bids]
CAPTAIN BEYOND SUFFICIENTLY BREATHLESS JAPAN EDITION DEEP PURPLE/IRON BUTTERFLY! US $19.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Smoke On The Water Rare Orig 45 Edit 3:48 b/w 4:34 Classic Rock VG++ US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 26m
This Time Around: Live in Tokyo '75 by Deep Purple - 2004 CD/ Hard Rock .. US $15.99 Buy It Now 3h 26m
DEEP PURPLE ~ MADE IN EUROPE ~ US ORIG vinyl lp SHRINK WRAP NM- TOP COPY! US $25.00 Buy It Now 3h 28m
GILLAN MR UNIVERSE LP 33 RPM INSERT LYRICS DEEP PURPLE RAINBOW WHITESNAKE GOOD US $3.21 [0 bids]
7" DEEP PURPLE - BURN EP BOLIVIA US $100.00 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - ANTHOLOGY- EMI 3 X LP SET + INSERT US $16.13 Buy It Now 3h 36m
Nino Tempo & April Stevens ATCO Stereo LP 1963 Deep Purple US $9.99 [0 bids]
CD 'Your Favourite Driving Songs 2' The Knack + Deep Purple ++ 2009 IMPORT 2CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
7" DEEP PURPLE - MADE IN JAPAN US $100.00 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE 24 Carat Purple LP Vinyl Record Album RARE EX+ UK US $4.44 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE BURN PURPLE TPS 3505 JON LORD RICHIE BLACKMORE METAL RARE ALBUM LP US $11.29 [1 bids]
RARE OOP DEEP PURPLE PROMO GERMANY IMPORT CD DAYS MAY COME 1975 CA REHERSALS OOP US $14.99 [0 bids]
GILLAN GLOVER (Deep Purple) - Dislocated - 7 inch vinyl in Picture Sleeve. US $9.67 Buy It Now 3h 57m
Roger Glover The Butterfly ball - 1986 Line Records / Deep Purple US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 3m
Deep Purple We Rock/We Roll 1978 Record LP Album Excellent Condition (KK) US $10.99 Buy It Now 4h 3m
Mojo - Heavy Mod - Small Faces, Deep Purple, The Creation, The Yardbirds NEW CD US $8.06 Buy It Now 4h 12m
KEVIN HART LATIN JAZZ QUINTET: Corazon (SS/1996/USA/10 TRACKS/DEEP PURPLE!) US $9.95 Buy It Now 4h 16m
Deep Purple - Interview Shaped Picture CD US $9.99 [0 bids]
CAPTAIN BEYOND s/t CAPRICORN CP 0105 (1972) LENTICULAR 3D Deep Purple NM LP US $12.00 [2 bids]
WHITESNAKE / COME AND GET IT - Japan w/obi DEEP PURPLE US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 27m
Lot Of 9 Classic Rock LP Vinyl Records Steppenwolf -Deep Purple-Foghat US $12.99 [0 bids]
CLASSIC ROCK MAGAZINE Nov 2004-Cat Stevens/Deep Purple/Velvet Revolver/Finn Bros US $17.75 Buy It Now 4h 32m
DEEP PURPLE Total Abandon Australia '99 LIMITED COLOURED VINYL 2LP US $40.36 Buy It Now 4h 34m
Deep Purple The Early Years promo CD acetate, Demo. US $11.29 Buy It Now 4h 35m
Deep Purple Slaves and Masters Limited 180gram Audiophile Vinyl LP US $40.36 Buy It Now 4h 36m
Deep Purple Who Do We Think We Are Deluxe 180g Vinyl LP US $40.36 Buy It Now 4h 36m
DEEP PURPLE: The Best Of Deep Purple (rock & pop vinyl LP) US $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 39m
Deep Purple - Now What?! Gold Edition [CD New] US $20.28 Buy It Now 4h 42m
Deep Purple - Who Do We Think We Are 24 KT Gold CD US $39.99 Buy It Now 4h 45m
Deep Purple - New Live & Rare Black Night (LIVE) 7" 1973 VG Purple PUR135 US $5.64 Buy It Now 4h 46m
Lot of 8 Rainbow Records, Vinyl, LP, Deep purple, Blackmore US $39.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - THE COLLECTION CD - IMPORT - BRAND NEW CD US $3.52 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Vintage Deep Purple Music Rock & Roll Patch in Thick Acrylic Display Holder US $18.50 Buy It Now 4h 58m
VG++ Deep Purple The Book of Taliesyn Tetragrammaton T-107 LP Odd Label US $19.54 Buy It Now 5h 4m
DEEP PURPLE EMBROIDERED PATCH US $5.99 Buy It Now 5h 9m
NINO TEMPO & APRIL STEVENS Deep Purple 45 ATCO 6273 EX+ (45s-3011) US $6.49 Buy It Now 5h 10m
Jon Lord ( Whitesnake Deep Purple ) West Germany 1987 CD Sarabande US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 15m
DEEP PURPLE"PERFECT STRANGER" RUSSIAN LP NEW UNPLAYED LUMINATED COVER US $15.00 Buy It Now 5h 22m
BRAND NEW OLD STOCK - DEEP PURPLE SMOKE ON THE WATER 45 WARNER BROS. RECORDS US $10.00 Buy It Now 5h 22m
DEEP PURPLE Deep Purple Live in Japan P-5066W 2LP AE5851 US $8.49 [2 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Burn P-10104W OBI LP Ae3843 US $16.50 [4 bids]
DEEP PURPLE When We Rock, We Rock and When We Roll, We Roll P-10559W LP u8619 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Come Taste The Band 3C064-97044 LP R7796 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Who Do We Think We Are ! P-10103W LP AE5852 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Deep Purple and The Royal Philharmonic P-8093W LP AE5847 US $7.99 [0 bids]
WAYNE KING True Love / Deep Purple 45 Decca 25700 VG (45s-3602) US $6.49 Buy It Now 5h 32m
Deep Purple White Label Promo Promo 45 - Black Night / Into The Fire Warner Bros US $20.00 Buy It Now 5h 35m
DEEP PURPLE Machine Head 8 Track Tape smoke on the water highway star lazy US $7.24 Buy It Now 5h 40m
DEEP PURPLE "BLACK NIGHT BEST" IMPORT US $20.99 Buy It Now 5h 42m

More places to buy DEEP PURPLE music online Buy DEEP PURPLE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DEEP PURPLE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DEEP PURPLE Nobody's perfect ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(8%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(21%)

DEEP PURPLE Nobody's perfect reviews

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Lazy?

Recorded during the tour to promote "Perfect Strangers" and the then forthcoming "House of blue light", this is a fine live album by Deep Purple. With the classic line up having reformed for those albums, all the energy and virtuosity, not to mention personality clashes, returned.

The track list borrows heavily from the legendary "Made in Japan", with no less than 6 tracks being duplicated. These include "Highway star", "Smoke on the water", and "Child in time" of course, as well as truncated versions of "The mule" and "Space truckin'". "Strange kind of woman" makes up the six, but the version here is adapted to include a call and response duet between Gillan and Blackmore, which leads to a burst of "Superstar" from Rice/Lloyd-Webber's "Jesus Christ Superstar". For those in doubt as to the reason for this, Ian Gillan sang the part of Jesus on the original Rock Opera release of "Jesus Christ Superstar". The performances of the other five tracks are faithful, perhaps with hints that this line up has played them so often that they do not now require any real effort, "Lazy" being a little too close to the truth. For some reason, Blackmore's guitar solo on "Child in time" lacks the impact of the original, sounding rather ordinary here.

The new songs are introduced by a spirited rendition of the title track from "Perfect strangers". This wonderful Zeppelinesque song which transfers well to a live environment, concludes with a blink and you'll miss it coda of "Gethsemene" from the aforementioned "Jesus Christ Superstar".

We then dip into the disappointing "House of blue light" for two songs (three if you have the extended CD) of which "Bad attitude" is the most appealing. "Perfect strangers" then contributes another number which made the album such a pleasing return to form, with "Knocking at your back door". The extended intro to the song here, which includes some classical and ragtime piano, only serves to embellish the tension of the studio version.

It's good to hear "Woman from Tokyo", the only really memorable track from "Who do we think we are" getting an airing, although it does end with a rather strange Buddy Holly interlude for no apparent reason. The album concludes with a "live jam" in the studio of Joe South's Hush, a cover of which appeared on Deep Purple's first album. The rendition of the verses here sounds surprisingly like Aerosmith's "Walk this way" until the familiar "Na na na" chorus cuts in.

In all, a fine live album by the legendary line up of Deep Purple. It may have its shortcomings in terms of both the tracks performed and sometimes in the performances themselves, but hey, "nobody's perfect".

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#104757) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 28, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars Because of its title one could think that it is the supporting tour of "Perfect Strangers", but no : the Purple will start this tour just after the release of "The House Of Blue Light" in January 1987. This record is a collection of songs recorded during several concerts in Europe and the US between May and September 1987. Therefore it lacks in continuity.

Several outputs exist for this work making it difficult (or expensive) for the fan. One example : all versions feature "Child In Time". But its lenght will vary from 6'10 to 10'35" ! The inclusion or not of "Bad Attitude", "Dead Or Alive" and "Space Truckin".

The traditional opener of Mark II is there again : "Highway Star" : shorter than the original version, it seems to be accelerated (as if it was necessary) ! This is an OK version but surely not the best available (specially the intro, which I just adore normally). "Strange Kind Of Woman" seems to get the same treatment. On top of that, was it necessary to include the theme "Jesus-Christ Supertar" in the middle of the "dialogue" Gillan - Blackmore we all know ? My answer is : NO.

"Perfect Strangers" is fabulously rendered. It's the best track so far.

Next track is introduced that way : there's nothing personal; It has nothing to do with sex or anything like that but...no, I'm not that kind of guy... great tits... this one is about this unmanageable woman, it's called "Hard Lovin' Woman". Still, the lyrics are quite explicit :"She didnt wear nothing but a smile, Upon her face, Licking her lips but I had the taste, Her temperature was rising, I was coming to the boil, Her fires were burning, She was pouring on the oil" This is a great track which does not have the recognition it deserves. A highlight here.

"Knocking At Your Back Door" is quite extended : after a smooth piano intro, we get some Tcha´kovsky notes to relax. Jon start a little jazz jam on his own (like he was used in "Lazy") and after four minutes, the song finally starts. "Child In Time" is good but nothing from the other world here.

"Lazy" starts with a heavy jam (quite unusual). It was always Jon's moment to render some classic work. Weird. It takes 1'30" for the true "Lazy" to begin. It last a total of just over five little minutes. On top of that, the band seems really in a hurry (it is the third song they speeded up with no reason). The whole song is reduced by half. Wrong idea.

With this version of "Black Night", we'll have to get used to the "Ho, Ho, Ho, Ho, Ho, Ho,Ho, Ho, Ho, Ho, Ho, Ho, Ho, Ho,Ho, Ho" from the crowd. I REALLY do not like this (hearing it of attending one of their concert). The track as such is superbly rendered.

The Purple brings us back to emasculation with "Woman From Tokyo" : an intro that has little to do with the original (fifty seconds), a portion of the track (1'30") and a "finale" combining traditional numbers (as Mark III did with "Smoke" or "Highway") and a Gillan's talk about Buddy Holy which ends in a total indifference. This is completely useless.

Since "Smoke" has never been a fave of mine (you can read what I thought about it in my "Machine Head" review) and that it seems impossible from those days onwards (I am suffering every time I see the Purple live - next time on my agenda will be in May 2007 in Antwerp) to avoid the audience participation I just skip it regularly. The final part of it is a thanks message to the audience (I could identify the source of this recording thanks to it : it was recorded in Oslo (May 23rd) because Gillan is referring to people having made such a long way to come to the concert (even from Trondheim, he says). As you have understood, it is not a highlight for me.

"Hush" closes the list but it is a studio recording... This review refers to the original CD release (1988). The extended version contains "Dead Or Alive", "Space Truckin" and "Bad Attitude".

With this live album, it seems that the Purple wanted to leave the stage as soon as possible. Some numbers are shortened excessively (altough they have always extend some of them on stage - too much at times) or performed too fast. There is of course no trace from some great songs from the Mark III or IV era (Burn", "Mistreated" or "You Keep On Moving"). I have never understood Gillan's reluctance in singing those ones. Since he sings "Hush" from Mark I, he could have done it for some other great Mark's ones... Two stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#107381) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 13, 2007

Review by clarke2001
2 stars This is a weak live document. Actually, it's not that weak - it's hard to imagine such thing from a band such is DEEP PURPLE - but it certainly lacks a lot. Energy? Continuity?

Maybe my expectations were set too high; after all, I love "Made In Japan" too much and I was expecting something on a same level (I was a Purple newbie in a tender age). Well it certainly doesn't sound like a legendary 70's live recording - but this record is not short of energy. No, that's not a problem. It's even humorous - but rarely funny. My impression is that band was not actually functioning as a band, more like a group of a too egoistic individuals. Lord's excerpts of classical music (Fur Elise) are absolutely out of place here. Not to mention a few verses from "Jesus Christ Superstar".

I like the band's tendency to change the original tracks during the live performance - sometimes they're prolonged, sometimes shortened, sometimes part of the medley. Maybe it's a cliche, but I like it. However, in this case, revisions are simply weak. The band tried to what they were doing the best, but this time without any notable artistic value, because they were simply bored. Of being with each other, I guess.

Well, I was bored too.

A thing or two that are good on this live record: Lord's musical pun - his teasing of audience (and me) with unfinished "That's It!", and for the sake of seriousness, an excellent performance of "Knocking At Your Back Door".

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#128328) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 13, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars I play various kind of music during this holiday season and this morning I played this live album by Deep Purple: "Nobody's Perfect". This compilation of live performances by Deep Purple was released in different versions and labels. In the UK, it was released under Polydor in 2 LP formats while in the US under Mercury with the same format. The CD versions also two kinds: double CD as well as single CD (with some track omissions) both released by Polydor. Mine is the single CD version and I am satisfied with the CD, including the sound quality which is much better than "Made In Japan". It's probably the technology used is significantly different. The band's performances recorded here vary with four tracks (Highway Star, Strange Kind of Woman, Perfect Strangers, and Woman From Tokyo) were taken from the same concert in Irvine Meadows, California on 23 May 1987. Four other tracks (Hard Lovin' Woman, Child In Time, Black Night, and Smoke On The Water) were taken from concert in Oslo, Norway on 22 August 1987. Two tracks (Knocking At Your Back Door and Lazy) from concert in Phoenix, Arizona on 30 May 1987. The remaining track (Hush) was taken from live jam recorded at Hook End Manor on 26 February 1988.

As far as live album, this is a very good one to enjoy as the members of the band demonstrate their full effort for the performances. Ian Gillan still can sing high register notes on "Highway Star" as well as "Child In Time". The famous "Strange Kind of Woman" which was best recorded during "Made In Japan" live record with its great break featuring great shout of Gillan responded wonderfully by Ritchie' guitar solo.But with this version Gillan performed differently even though it still have similar style. There is a good insert of "Jesus Christ Superstar" during the performance of this track. Jon Lord provides great classical music keyboard / piano solo during the opening of "Knocking At Your Back Door" (11:26). "Lazy" is also not performed as "Made In Japan" style but it's still an interesting live track.

Overall, this is a very good compilation of Deep Purple live performances in 1987. Fans of hard rock music who enjoy live record must have this CD. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW (i-Rock! Music Community)

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#184533) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 03, 2008

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars Seemingly not content with spoiling its reputation via mediocre studio efforts, Mk. 2.x decided to release a live album that would destroy the myth of this Purple lineup as an impeccable live band. It should be noted that my version is 11 tracks long, whereas there's a 14 track, 2-CD version now out on the market, so it's possible that those three tracks could change my mind about this album. However, I'm not counting on it.

Strangely enough, it is by far the 2.1 tracks that come across best on this album. I liked the studio version of "Perfect Strangers" a lot, but I'd take a good guess that this is the definitive version, as there's just enough of an increase in tempo (at least, I think so - maybe it's just the live vibe, who knows) to add a lot of energy and intensity to an already tense piece. "Hard Lovin' Woman" also works very well live, and I almost don't even mind the song morphing into "Under the Gun" halfway through (I can't believe that Ritchie and Co. had so little shame that they could play that "Pomp and Circumstance" snippet in front of people). Best of all, though, is "Knocking at Your Back Door," largely because it's introduced by Lord having fun on his keyboards in the sort of way Keith Emerson would back in the 70's (ie piano improvisations where he would reference all sorts of pieces from all sorts of styles). And hey, let's not minimize the song itself, which benefits a ton from the live vibe.

Unfortunately, these three recent tracks are chunked together in the middle of the album, surrounded on both sides by mediocre (and worse, sometimes MUCH MUCH WORSE) renditions of the old classics. If you, like me, didn't care for Ian's singing on the last two studio albums, you'll be horrified by how he single-handedly destroys the first two tracks on this album. "Highway Star" starts off fine instrumentally, and the verse singing is at first passable (Ian sounds older, but not in a horrid way), but when he tries to scream "I love it! I need it!" it no longer sounds like a masterful singer going into the upper register. Instead, it sounds like a man with no upper register squealing like a pig, hoping that nobody notices and calls him on it. Arguably, however, what happens to "Strange Kind of Woman" is even worse. Remember how he could do those perfect imitations of Ritchie's guitar lines in the mid-section? Well, to put it nicely, you don't get that here. Instead you get Ian yelping indiscriminately in response to Ritchie, only somewhat in tune with him, pretending that he's doing the imitations that he once could, but instead making a total fool of himself. Heck, I'm not even that glad to hear Ian singing blurbs from Jesus Christ Superstar - it's just more material that he once could sing well that he can't sing well anymore.

Ian is not the sole responsible party for making this album such a pain to listen to, however. If you don't believe, just check out the agonizing version of "Child in Time" that comes after the 2.1 chunk. Ian tries his best here, and some credit has to be given for that; the lower range sounds thinner than I'd like, but that's a given now, and while the upper-level screams don't get the perfect power they once had, the energy and effort put into trying to get to that level at least gives a slight boost to Ian's singing here (slight, mind you). No, what mostly hurts the piece is everybody else, particularly Ritchie; the cathartic mid-section is denigrated into Ritchie playing generic hair-metal "shredder" scales, without an ounce of the moody, passionate creativity that made this piece one of my favorite pieces ever made by a metal band. There is NO WAY I would regard "Child in Time" as highly as I do if this was what the soloing in the original consisted of - that was shredding with purpose, this is just shredding to shred. Besides, Ritchie doesn't even bother to shut up when the rest of the band does, like he's supposed to in that section! And the rush to the finish? LAME.

The last four live tracks aren't anywhere near as bad as this, but hardly very inspiring. "Lazy" is straight-forward, uninspired and short - enough said. The ending "Smoke on the Water" is at least better than it was when sung by Coverdale, but I'm bothered by the way the band sped it up, as if to get it over with; by doing so, it loses a lot of the pounding intensity that made it so attractive in the first place. On the other hand, I'm pretty happy to have another live version of "Black Night," a non-LP track from the early 70's (I eventually obtained versions from the band's prime, so this version isn't quite as a revelation for me anymore, but it's still nice), and "Woman from Tokyo" is as mindlessly fun as ever (and there's Buddy Holly quotes at the end!), so that's at least something.

As a strange bonus, the band ends this live album with a new re-recording of "Hush," and from a certain twisted perspective, it kinda rules. But one nice studio surprise isn't enough to totally undo the effect of so many mediocre live "interpretations" of classic material. Consider the grade an extremely generous reward for the band making me like the 2.1 material as much as I do here, and don't hurry out to look for it.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#702287) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 01, 2012

2 stars Nowhere near perfect, is a wordplay I think fits this album. Mark II was on the road after the pretty decent Perfect Strangers and the rather abysmal House Of Blue Light. Naturally, these two albums does not feature prominently on this album. Instead we get the old material, performed by a p ... (read more)

Report this review (#293765) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Sunday, August 08, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Why is this album so maligned? You tell me. I think it's a great album and I prefer it to "Made In Japan" . THAT'S RIGHT, I PREFER IT TO "MADE IN JAPAN". Here's why: 1. The sound quality, it's a superb, crisp dynamic recording mixed by Roger Glover on an SSL desk. Turn it up, you are there. ... (read more)

Report this review (#122803) | Posted by analogueaddict | Saturday, May 19, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars First official live release after the reunion in 1984. A few years later KNEBWORTH 1985 was released from the PERFECT STRANGERS tour. It starts off with a nice version of Highway star. Next one is one of my favourite DP songs Strange kind of woman, but it hasn't got the magic of version on MAD ... (read more)

Report this review (#61470) | Posted by | Friday, December 23, 2005 | Review Permanlink

1 stars In 1984 the band - in their famous MK2 line-up - took form again. But the quarrels between Blackmore and Gillan also came back... After Perfect Strangers ans House of a blue light, the band deceided to leave Polydor, but they had a last album to give them to honour their contract. The easier w ... (read more)

Report this review (#49571) | Posted by spide | Friday, September 30, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DEEP PURPLE "Nobody's perfect "