HAPPY THE MAN

- Steve Hackett / guitars
- Tony Banks / keyboards
- Mike Rutherford / bass, guitars
- Phil Collins / drums

7" Vinyl Charisma CB181 (1972)

Thanks to PROGMAN for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

GENESIS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GENESIS Happy The Man Music

Turn It on Again: The HitsTurn It on Again: The Hits
Atlantic 2007
Trick of the Tail (CD/DVD)Trick of the Tail (CD/DVD)
Rhino 2007
ATLANTIC/Q RECORDS
AbacabAbacab
Remastered
Atlantic 1994
Genesis - Spot the Pigeon - Virgin Charisma CDT 40 - CD3 3" Mini CD Phil Collins US $14.99 Buy It Now 30m 8s
Genesis - Tonight, Tonight, Tonight - Virgin Single CD EP1 CDEP1 - Phil Collins US $49.99 Buy It Now 33m 34s
CARL REINECKE Piano Concertos 1 & 2 ROBBINS Genesis GS-1034 LP LowSHIP WORLDWIDE US $19.00 Buy It Now 36m 31s
RHEINBERGER Romantic Sonata JENSEN Piano Sonata Op.25 RUIZ ADRIAN Genesis LP NM US $19.00 Buy It Now 36m 37s
Pop Promo 45 TERRY MCGOVERN Genesis -Last Chapter on Fa US $5.00 Buy It Now 44m 22s
GENESIS CASSETTE SINGLE I CAN'T DANCE SHORELINE GENSC 7 US $6.74 Buy It Now 46m
Genesis - Duke - Virgin Charisma CD CBRCD 101 - German Blue Face West Germany US $11.99 Buy It Now 53m 38s
Genesis - Duke - Virgin Charisma CD CBRCD 101 - Made in France by MPO - French US $11.99 Buy It Now 54m 29s
GENESIS Nursery Cryme LP Charisma CAS 1052 US 1971 VG+ GATEFOLD US $15.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
DAVID BOWIE, AC/DC THE BEAT, GENESIS, THE NITS TOURISTS TURKISH RARE SEXY COVER US $80.00 Buy It Now 1h 7m
GENESIS - S/T SELF TITLED TURKISH PRESSING RARE NM US $150.00 Buy It Now 1h 10m
GENESIS - AND THEN THERE WERE THREE TURKISH PRESSING RARE US $80.00 Buy It Now 1h 21m
GENESIS - IN THE BEGINNING TURKISH PRESSING RARE US $90.00 Buy It Now 1h 27m
~ ""Paperlate"" GENESIS - PHIL COLLINS Picture Sleeve 45 Record ~ 1982 ~ US $2.44 [0 bids]
GENESIS - INVISIBLE TOUCH TURKISH PRESSING RARE NM US $150.00 Buy It Now 1h 29m
GENESIS 4 record vinyl LP Lot. Mama. Seconds out. And then there were three. US $13.49 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Genesis Turn It on Again: The Hits (U.K. Band) (CD, Oct-1999, Atlantic (La... US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 40m
1985 "NM Wax" Phil Collins No Jacket Required P-13077 Japan Genesis Sussudio US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 15m
And Then There Were Three Genesis vinyl LP album record Japanese RJ-7348 US $74.97 Buy It Now 2h 17m
Genesis - Congo - Promo Only CD Single US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 36m
Genesis - Live (Live Recording, 1999) {CD} D1113 US $8.51 Buy It Now 2h 43m
EMINENZ-ANTI-GENESIS-LEP023-1998-FREE SHIPPING! US $13.50 Buy It Now 2h 54m
GENESIS - THE SILENT SUN on 2 CD's - NEW US $8.24 Buy It Now 3h 34m
Turn It on Again: The Hits by Genesis (U.K. Band) (CD, Oct-1999, Atlantic (Label US $0.99 [1 bids]
MAGELLAN - IMPENDING ASCENSION - Cassette (Rush, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Genesis US $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 47m
GENESIS INVISIBLE TOUCH 1986 JAPAN CD OBI 1750yen VJCP US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 51m
Job For A Cowboy - Genesis (NEW CD) US $16.61 Buy It Now 4h 14m
J.T. HATTEN & THE MIGHTY GENESIS - JUST PRAISING GOD NEW CD US $16.30 Buy It Now 4h 15m
Genesis - Nursery Cryme - Cassette US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 31m
Genesis Music Milestones: Duke DVD US $16.40 Buy It Now 4h 45m
NEW GENESIS Montana State University LP PRIVATE 60s XIAN FOLK RARE US $14.99 Buy It Now 4h 48m
PETER GABRIEL-GENESIS "Games without frontiers" RARE 7" ITALY -NEAR MINT US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 53m
We Can't Dance by Genesis (U.K. Band) (CD, Nov-1991, Virgin (Label)) US $0.93 [0 bids]
STEVE HACKETT CD - GENESIS REVISITED: LIVE AT HAMMERSMITH [3CD/2DVD] - NEW US $49.99 Buy It Now 5h 10m
Genesis - Lamb Lies Down On Broadway CD US $33.45 Buy It Now 5h 34m
Steve Hackett (Genesis) Cured RARE 1981 South Korea "Sunkyong Magnetic" Cassette US $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 38m
GENESIS - PLATINUM COLLECTION [GENESIS] [CD] [1 DISC] [724386373427] - NEW CD US $30.71 Buy It Now 5h 43m
Busta Rhymes - Genesis - Japan CD - 20Tracks US $11.39 Buy It Now 5h 44m
GENESIS - NURSERY CRYME / NM MINT- SUPERB / RJ7032 JAPA US $79.99 Buy It Now 5h 47m
GENESIS - SAME / VERTIGO 1983 / NM MINT- CLEAN COPY / J US $59.99 Buy It Now 5h 47m
BUSTA RHYMES - GENESIS Polish Pressing Cassette BUY UP TO 4 & PAY SHIPP FOR 1 US $4.90 Buy It Now 5h 52m
STEEL PROPHET - GENESIS CD US $17.00 Buy It Now 6h
KHY - GENESIS NEW CD US $40.16 Buy It Now 6h 5m
GENESIS WE CAN'T DANCE 1991 JAPAN CD 2500yen 1st PRESS US $12.99 Buy It Now 6h 11m
GENESIS - INVISIBLE TOUCH (IMPORT) NEW SACD US $103.28 Buy It Now 6h 16m
GENESIS FOLLOW YOU FOLLOW ME / BALLAD OF BIG UK 7" 1978 US $6.99 Buy It Now 6h 19m
2 DISC Calling All Stations [Remaster] by Genesis (U.K. Band) (CD, Nov-2007 US $10.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS This Fate Is Your Own CD US $28.98 [0 bids]
Genesis Mama Rare Vertigo Label Printed In West Germany with Insert 12" ELP1305 US $24.99 Buy It Now 6h 28m
GENESIS (ROCK/PROG/POP GROUP) i can't dance 12" double a sided sex mix (geton1) US $17.06 Buy It Now 6h 31m
Genesis Live "The Way We Walk" 1993 Magazine Advert #127 US $8.51 Buy It Now 6h 33m
SEALED ROBERT ZIMANSKY, violin XAVER PHILIPP SCHARWENKA Genesis GS1056 stereo US $19.99 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL - RARE INVITATION CARD PARIS CONCERT - COLLECTOR - GENESIS US $19.99 Buy It Now 6h 35m
GENESIS LIVE_rare alt cover_used VINYL LP_ships from AUSTRALIA! US $93.90 Buy It Now 6h 41m
GENESIS TURN IT ON AGAIN / BEHIND THE LINES PART 2 SCANDINAVIA PS 7" 1980 US $13.99 Buy It Now 6h 42m
GENESIS A TRICK OF THE TAIL 1976 WEST GERMANY CD 1ST PRESS US $69.99 Buy It Now 6h 51m
LP:GENESIS SELLING ENGLAND / WITH OBI ROCK IMPACT '74 ISSUE US $55.00 Buy It Now 6h 52m
LP Genesis Attention ! Japan Only OBI Peter Gabriel Phil Collins 1975 US $65.00 Buy It Now 6h 53m
GENESIS ABACAB 1981 WEST GERMANY CD JAPAN ED 32PD 1ST PRESS US $69.99 Buy It Now 6h 54m
GENESIS - Abacab - Excellent Condition 7" Single Charisma CB 388 US $6.79 Buy It Now 6h 57m
GENESIS S/T 1983 WEST GERMANY CD 1ST PRESS US $69.99 Buy It Now 7h 3m
GENESIS / GENESIS CD PLATINUM DISC FREE P+P!! US $170.57 Buy It Now 7h 4m
GENESIS / GENESIS CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P!! US $153.51 Buy It Now 7h 5m
GENESIS ABACAB CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P!! US $153.51 Buy It Now 7h 5m
GENESIS ABACAB CD PLATINUM DISC FREE P+P!! US $170.57 Buy It Now 7h 5m
GENESIS INVISIBLE TOUCH CD PLATINUM DISC FREE P+P!! US $170.57 Buy It Now 7h 5m
GENESIS INVISIBLE TOUCH CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P!! US $153.51 Buy It Now 7h 5m
GENESIS WE CAN'T DANCE CD PLATINUM DISC FREE P+P!! US $170.57 Buy It Now 7h 5m
Genesis - Genesis Live: The Way We Walk, Vol. 1 (The Shorts) (U.K. Band) CD 1992 US $4.74 Buy It Now 7h 7m
Genesis Live: The Way We Walk, Vol. 2 (The Longs) CD US $7.99 Buy It Now 7h 7m
GENESIS - GENESIS (+DVD) NEW CD US $25.38 Buy It Now 7h 14m
GENESIS- LP Platinum Disc-SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND(original Mad Hatter label US $221.76 Buy It Now 7h 16m
GENESIS- LP Platinum Disc - ABACAB US $204.70 Buy It Now 7h 18m
LIVE EARTH - BENEFIT CONCERT 2 DVDS, 1 CD, POLICE, FOO FIGHTERS, GENESIS, RHIANA US $7.00 [0 bids]
GENESIS_and Then There Were Three_used VINYL LP_ships from AUSTRALIA! US $23.47 Buy It Now 7h 22m
DELANEY & BONNIE ~'Genesis'~UK LP 1971~ZGL 113~1L/1L US $37.51 Buy It Now 7h 23m
GENESIS TRESPASS 1970 JAPAN SANYO RARE CD 1ST PRESS US $59.99 Buy It Now 7h 34m
GENESIS "THREE SIDES LIVE" DOUBLE LP RECORD ALBUM - ATLANTIC SD 2-2000 - 1982 US $9.95 [0 bids]
30 X7"Picture Singles:M.JacksonJourney,Boston,Springsteen,Genesis,McCartney,Asia US $44.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS «A TRICK OF THE TAIL» CASSETTE VG++ (Made in Canada) ATCO US $1.50 [0 bids]
GENESIS ~ IN CONCERT 1982 ~ VERY RARE CONCERT TOUR JACKET ~ FULLY HAND SIGNED US $1,620.56 Buy It Now 7h 47m
GENESIS 3 X VINYL LP OFFER INC ABACAB AND RARE ROCK ROOTS LP*ALL EXCELLENT ITEMS US $27.21 Buy It Now 7h 52m
Genesis 45 Misunderstanding / Behind The Lines US $3.00 Buy It Now 7h 53m
Promo 45 rpm - PHIL COLLINS - I Missed Again - GENESIS - 1981 - MT - w/Co. Slv. US $5.50 Buy It Now 8h
GENESIS ~ INVISIBLE TOUCH 1987 ~ RARE CONCERT TOUR T-SHIRT ~ PHIL COLLINS SIGNED US $469.11 Buy It Now 8h 3m
ADRIAN RUIZ PIANO JOACHIM RAFF GENESIS GS1009 1971 NM- US $6.25 Buy It Now 8h 3m
Genesis 45 Paperlate / You Might Recall US $3.00 Buy It Now 8h 5m
Genesis-Rock Roots UK Decca LP 1976 US $13.63 Buy It Now 8h 12m
CD Genesis "And Then There Were Three" 800 059-2 W.Germany pink swirl Rare!!! US $275.50 Buy It Now 8h 14m
GENESIS Land Of Confusion European 45PS 1986 US $8.00 Buy It Now 8h 14m
PSYCHIC TV UNCLEAN / MIRRORS PTV GENESIS P ORRIDGE COIL TEMPLE GOLD/BLACK EX 12" US $99.99 Buy It Now 8h 17m
Various : Neon Genesis Evangelio CD (2004) US $9.87 Buy It Now 8h 19m
Genesis Duke 1980 George Piros Pressing, STEAM CLEANED, Excellent US $6.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS follow you follow me 1978 UK CHARISMA PS 45 US $10.24 Buy It Now 8h 23m
Wayne Shorter Second Genesis Vinyl LP UK Import Affinity AFF114 NM Cedar Walton US $22.00 [0 bids]
Genesis "A Trick of the Tail" 1976 Atco 'Dance on a Volcano' US $5.69 [0 bids]
GENESIS: Nursery Cryme US $10.50 Buy It Now 8h 29m
GENESIS - MAMA - ORIGINAL 1983 UK 12" VINYL SINGLE & PIC SLEEVE ON VIRGIN - EX US $1.69 [0 bids]
GENESIS Live / The Way We Walk Volume One CD 1992 / Best Of US $12.16 Buy It Now 8h 35m
GENESIS LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY DOUBLE ALBUM CD GOLD DISC FREE POSTAGE!! US $255.79 Buy It Now 8h 43m

More places to buy GENESIS music online Buy GENESIS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GENESIS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GENESIS Happy The Man ratings distribution

GENESIS Happy The Man reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars I waited years to get or even hear this mystery single, originally issued in 1972. in the 80's it was fetching £65.00 in the small ads in Record Collector. I finally located an MP3 and wasn't too disappointed, it sounded quite nice so I managed to get hold of a reissue on ebay for a few pounds. After repeated listens it grew on me, and is now an established part of my collection. I followed Genesis since1970 when I heard the track "In the Beginning" off the "Revelation" album (the best track) on a compilation called "Wowie-Zowie - the best of progressive Rock!". I subsequently bought the "Trespass" album and have been hooked on Genesis and Prog Rock ever since. Genesis fans seem to be in two camps - Gabriel era and Collins era. Won't go too deeply into that although I prefer the Gabriel era and still follow Peter's music, I think Phil Collins did a fantastic job taking Genesis to new heights and new audiences. If you can get a copy of this single you'll grow to enjoy it as an essential Gabriel era song.

Send comments to mystic fred (BETA) | Report this review (#71871) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Review by Guillermo
2 stars "Happy the Man" is not a very interesting song, IMO. It has some silly lyrics, similar in style to the lyrics of the song "I Know What I Like" in the absurd meaning. Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins sung the song together, as they did in "I Know What I Like" (also released as a single and in their "Selling England by the Pound" album in 1973), and in other songs like "Harold the Barrel" (this last song is from the "Nursery Cryme" album). "Happy the Man" was recorded and released in 1972, after the "Nursery Cryme" album was released in 1971, and before they recorded their "Foxtrot" album. "Happy the Man" was also played in concert by the band in those days. This song wasn`t a hit as a single, but it became a "collector`s item" until it was released in the 4 CD Box Set called "Genesis Archives 1967-1975", in 1998.

IMO, "Seven Stones", the song included in the Side "B" of this single, is much better, with the use of the mellotron, "dramatic" vocals by Gabriel, and a better performance by all members of the band. It also was released in their "Nursery Cryme" album.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#74080) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
4 stars We should only care about "Happy the Man" because "Seven Stones" is well known and rated in "Nursery Cryme", so lets do it.

Not the best Gabriel era Genesis track but good enough, the lyrics are 10 years advanced for the era, seems like talking about a simple guy of this days living his life with no troubles or cares:

Where you go - where? Yeah, yeah, yeah, nowhere

Sounds like a usual Gabriel criticism to the good people that care for anybody or anything around him just living his life, he's just having fun while the rest are trying to be cool, but at the same time seems to be a nice person because the last phrase describes him as He is a good man... in other words a member of the generation X.

The lyrics are somehow provoking when they mention Like a nun with a gun - I'm wonderful fun Laughing all through - just watching you Seems a very stupid game...But I don't care, I even read a fundamentalist page criticizing them for this statement, but as the song says "I don't care".

The music is simple and catchy, not a masterpiece even when still a good track that would had been a fabulous replacement for the incredibly boring "For Absent Friends" or even later for the horrendous #More Fool Me", a choice that I will never understand, specially having been a side "A" of the single, they left it away from any LP.

Of course "Seven Stones" (The "B" side) is better from a Prog perspective, but that's another story.

Now the rating, as I said it's not a masterpiece, but I believe it's a great addition for any Prog collection because it's a rare item, and if you got the original 45 rpm, you got a treasure that should be over the US$ 150.00 by this moments.

So four stars it is because of the difficulty to get it, I have edited a CDR (legal because I have both items bought in a store), replacing "For Absent Friends" with this track and sounds much better.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#135908) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 02, 2007

2 stars Happy the Man is possibly one of the most simplistic songs of the Gabriel era. Even lyrically, it's quite simple. It would seem it is about apathy, or somethingrather. It's an acoustic song, dominated by the mediocre vocals. However, after many listens, the song grows on you and it's a catchy litt ... (read more)

Report this review (#129637) | Posted by Shakespeare | Saturday, July 21, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This song is reminsicent of "Willow Farm" and "I Know What I Like". It's quirky and charming in a Gabriel-ish sort of way. This song is just as good as the filler tracks on "Nursery Cryme" like "Harlequin" and "Harold the Barrel". I actually prefer "Happy the Man" to "Seven Stones." ... (read more)

Report this review (#107108) | Posted by Schindleria | Thursday, January 11, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Crappy the man, this is by far the least impressive track of the whole Gabriel area. Recorded around the Nursery Cryme period this single just would not sell. In this case it is a shame as the flip side is the excellent seven stones. This track realy doesnt seem to fit into the progressive per ... (read more)

Report this review (#92253) | Posted by burgersoft777 | Wednesday, September 27, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I guess I'll throw my review in here for this since no one has reviewed it yet. I'm not going to rate this as a single (since we all know the song "Seven Stones" and it is reviewed in Nursery Cryme.) "Happy the Man" is a less than mediocre song in my opinion. If you haven't heard it, it is a sta ... (read more)

Report this review (#56284) | Posted by FragileDT | Monday, November 14, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of GENESIS "Happy The Man "