HAPPY THE MAN

- Steve Hackett / guitars
- Tony Banks / keyboards
- Mike Rutherford / bass, guitars
- Phil Collins / drums

7" Vinyl Charisma CB181 (1972)

Thanks to PROGMAN for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

GENESIS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GENESIS Happy The Man Music

Turn It on Again: The HitsTurn It on Again: The Hits
Atlantic 2007
Lamb Lies Down on BroadwayLamb Lies Down on Broadway
EMI Europe Generic 2009
Trick of the Tail (CD/DVD)Trick of the Tail (CD/DVD)
Rhino 2007
Atlantic / Wea 2005
AbacabAbacab
Remastered
Atlantic 1994
Genesis - Turn It on Again (The Hits, 1999) SCARCE 3 TRACK RADIO CD SAMPLER US $3.24 [1 bids]
35m 11s
GENESIS SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND. ISREAL COPY, NM CONDITION. US $29.95 [0 bids]
36m 55s
VG++ GENESIS PAPERLATE/YOU MIGHT RECALL 1982 45 RPM ATLANTIC 4053 PICTURE SLEEVE US $3.98 Buy It Now 40m 59s
ANTHONY PHILLIPS BAND (FROM GENESIS) INVISIBLE MEN LP SEALED PB 6023 US $8.23 Buy It Now 43m 46s
Genesis, We Can't Dance Audio CD US $4.58 Buy It Now 44m 13s
We Can't Dance, Genesis, Good US $3.99 Buy It Now 48m 33s
Genesis "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" 45rpm Vinyl Record w/ Sleeve Phil Collins 86 US $2.99 [0 bids]
52m 20s
The Phil Collins And Genesis Radio Show - 1988 US $17.75 Buy It Now 56m 28s
BRAND X LP 3 LIVESTOCK +1 XCERPTS PRIVATE PROMO PHIL COLLINS GENESIS NEW WAVE US $29.99 [0 bids]
1h
LARRY HART - GOIN' UP IN SMOKE - GENESIS RECORDS US $8.30 [1 bids]
Genesis - Live At Uptown Theatre Chicago October 13 1978 Part 1 CD JAPANESE US $34.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Genesis - When In Rome - EU 3Track PR0M0 CD Sampler US $9.50 [6 bids]
Genesis. Nursery Cryme. CAS 1052. US $14.99 [0 bids]
Genesis - Live (The Way We Walk, Vol. 1 (The Shorts)/Live Recording, 1992) GC0 US $1.64 [0 bids]
GENESIS - "Never A Time" CD Single + 2 Live Tracks - 1992 -RARE/OOP US $9.95 [0 bids]
AC & Terra - Youthanasia CD UK Rap Hip-Hop New Sealed Genesis Elijah PA US $6.62 Buy It Now 1h 31m
We Can't Dance by Genesis (U.K. Band) (CD, Nov-1991, Atlantic (Label)) US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 41m
GENESIS: In The Beginning LP (textured cover very sl cw: tiny wear @ corners, f US $65.00 Buy It Now 1h 55m
STEVE HACKETT VOYAGE OF ACOLYTE Chrysalis NM Genesis Rutherford Collins Adcock US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 57m
LARRY HART One Day More/ Holdin On 12" genesis NR10864 (1979) promo+press photo US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h
Genesis Live: The Way We Walk, Vol. 2 (The Longs) by Genesis (U.K. Band) (CD,... US $3.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS self titled - 1999 Japanese CD Japan mini - LP sleeve US $9.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS LIVE INVISIBLE TOUCH limited edition low number EX+ + booklet US $24.90 Buy It Now 2h 8m
We Can't Dance by Genesis (CD) HARD ROCK PROGRESSIVE ROCK HEAVY READ NOTES!! US $0.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS "NM WAX" Duke RJ-7655 OBI LP AC3851 US $7.99 [0 bids]
Genesis 2 LP's Three Sides Live WEST GERMANY US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 20m
LP GENESIS ST Atlantic 1983 Hits, Mama Thats all EXCELLENT US $19.00 Buy It Now 2h 21m
Zahrim: Liber Compendium Diabolicum The Genesis Of Enki CD 2007 BDR003 US $11.95 Buy It Now 2h 22m
Turn It on Again: The Tour Edition, Genesis, Very Good Original recording remast US $5.98 Buy It Now 2h 25m
Genesis 3 CD Lot * Genesis Live, Trespass + And The Word Was ...... US $9.99 [0 bids]
Genesis Live / The Way We Walk / Volume One: The Shorts CD US $1.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS PICTURE DISC LP 1986 UK PROG ROCK US $9.99 [1 bids]
GENESIS Wind and Wuthering ATCO RECORDS SD 36-144 1976 Near Mint SHRINK US $15.99 [0 bids]
We Can't Dance by Genesis CD Like New/Mint Con'd (Atlantic, 1991) US $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 33m
GENESIS s/t - 1972 - URUGUAY PROG PSYCH MONSTER - RARE EARLY OOP RI US $14.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS Trespass ABC RECORDS 1970 gatefold original press NEAR MINT US $38.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS Trick Of The Tail ATCO RECORDS 1976 gatefold reissue NEAR MINT US $8.99 [0 bids]
JOB FOR A COWBOY - GENESIS [JOB FOR A COWBOY] [CD] pestilence testament carcass US $5.00 [0 bids]
Mike & The Mechanics - Now That You've Gone CD Single (Mike Rutherford Genesis) US $1.64 Buy It Now 2h 53m
GENESIS Yakta Mama LP NEW PSYCH ROCK SS VINYL US $27.99 Buy It Now 2h 53m
Genesis "Abacab" 1981 Rock LP ATLANTIC RECORDING ST-A-814775 33 1/3 US $3.99 [0 bids]
Vintage Vinyl Genesis-Seconds Out,Live Album 1977 US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 57m
GENESIS TRICK OF THE TAIL SUPER RARE MINI LP WITH OBI JAPAN--USA SELLER US $56.00 [0 bids]
3h
Journey To The Moon BDS5045 12" Vinyl LP Buddah Records Sound of Genesis US $7.69 Buy It Now 3h 2m
We Can't Dance - Genesis (CD 1991) Near Mint Cond Fast FREE Ship I Can't Dance US $5.29 Buy It Now 3h 5m
PETER GABRIEL So 1st Press 32VD-1021 3200YEN 1987 OOP CD Japan GENESIS US $33.20 [0 bids]
GENESIS AND THEN THERE WERE THREE CD NEW 2007 REMASTER US $7.36 Buy It Now 3h 22m
GENESIS Private Press 1960's Psych Folk Christian MN Three Dog Night LP VG US $100.00 Buy It Now 3h 24m
Genesis Romeo & Juliet LP PROMO ONLY rare red vinyl live '74 US $26.00 [7 bids]
GENESIS-THREE SIDES LIVE ATLANTIC 1982 USA 2LPS VINYL NM US $4.49 [0 bids]
Security - Peter Gabriel (Genesis) Early U.S. Press DADC Fast FREE SHIP EXCLNT US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 29m
GENESIS NURSERY CRYME SEALED CD NEW REMASTERED US $9.28 Buy It Now 3h 30m
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway NEW 2 x CD US $24.25 Buy It Now 3h 33m
1983 Genesis That's All /Second Home By The Sea 7 Inch 45 RPM Alantic Record NM US $5.00 [0 bids]
GENESIS Lamb Lies Down on Broadway 1977 JAPAN 2 LP US $49.97 Buy It Now 3h 41m
Invisible Touch by Genesis (U.K. Band) (CD, Oct-1990, Atlantic (Label))sealed US $8.00 [0 bids]
LOT OF 10 GREAT ROCK CASSETTES GENESIS--AEROSMITH--POISON--BAD COMPANY LOT 44 US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 57m
GENESIS Trespass REMAST CD & AUDIO DVD 5.1 BONUS RARE US $21.99 Buy It Now 4h
And Then There Were Three - Genesis CD Remaster Sealed US $9.50 Buy It Now 4h 3m
Nursery Cryme by Genesis CD Sealed Remastered US $7.21 Buy It Now 4h 7m
Ania Rusowicz - Genesis (CD) 2013 NEW US $33.00 Buy It Now 4h 10m
GENESIS"PAPERLATE".1982 CHARISMA-DJ+JUKEBOX OPERATORS 45RPM VERSION!! NEAR MINT! US $4.98 [0 bids]
Lot Fantastic Collection 16 LPs Genesis Very Very Nice!! US $49.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS AND THEN THERE WERE THREE VINYL LP ATLANTIC FOLLOW YOU FOLLOW ME US $1.00 [0 bids]
Genesis Revelation Without a Cause LP EX Live in LA Peter Gabriel not TMOQ TAKRL US $44.00 Buy It Now 4h 27m
Genesis 45 Taking It All Too Hard PROMO COPY Atlantic Records 1983 #7-89656 US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 39m
LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA MUSIC OF GENESIS NEW SEALED RED SEAL DIGITAL CASSETTE US $29.95 Buy It Now 4h 44m
Genesis Live: The Way We Walk, Vol. 1 (The Shorts), CD, 1992 US $2.99 Buy It Now 4h 46m
Genesis Live: The Way We Walk, Vol. 2 (The Longs), CD, 1993, Limited Edition,VG+ US $3.99 Buy It Now 4h 48m
GENESIS "TURN IT ON AGAIN-THE HITS" 2007 2CDS-ROCK RADIO LIBRARY SEALED COPY US $9.99 [0 bids]
PHIL COLLINS NO JACKET REQUIRED GENESIS '85 LP EX US $9.99 [0 bids]
Genesis - Three Sides Live - Vinyl Record Album US $5.00 [0 bids]
"Reinecke Piano Concertos No. 1 & 2" Gerald Robbins Genesis GS 1034 US $3.00 Buy It Now 5h 9m
GENESIS - AND THEN THERE WERE THREE...POLISH CASSETTE..EURO STAR.FREE SHIPPING! US $13.99 Buy It Now 5h 10m
GENESIS USA DJ 7" 45 MAMA w/picture sleeve, 1983, promo copy US $9.00 Buy It Now 5h 23m
GENESIS "NM DISC" Genesis in Concert 1976 VPLR-70468 OBI LD AE5101 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Seriously Orchestral Hits of Phil Collins Japan CD Sealed New Promo Copy Genesis US $59.99 Buy It Now 5h 38m
GENESIS "NM WAX" Abacab 25PP-32 LP Ad7694 US $4.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS Selling England by The Pound 20PP-69 LP Ae0196 US $4.99 [0 bids]
Genesis tribute CD SUPPER'S READY 1995 Annie Haslam Kevin Gilbert Enchant Cairo US $9.99 [0 bids]
We Can't Dance by Genesis ) (Cassette, 1991, Atlantic) Collins, Banks, Rutherfor US $1.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS - Throwing It All Away - 1986 Atlantic PRO 45 + Picture Sleeve US $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 49m
ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK - THE BALLAD OF GENESIS AND LADY JAYE - NEW CD US $10.13 Buy It Now 5h 51m
GENESIS SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND PICTURE DISC. NM CONDITION, VERY RARE. US $49.95 [0 bids]
GENESIS «SELf-TITLED» CASSETTE VG (Made in Canada) ATLANTIC US $0.99 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL 07.02.03 Indianapolis, IN OFFICIAL RARE OOP 2 CD LIVE LMT GENESIS US $39.99 Buy It Now 6h 17m
80's Records 45 RPM Lot GENESIS Collection of 9 different records US $10.00 [0 bids]
GENESIS NURSERY CRYME 1971 WEST GERMANY CD 1ST PRESS US $159.99 Buy It Now 6h 20m
Marillion Between You And Me CD Single Rare Mint Genesis Yes Fish Pendragon US $59.99 Buy It Now 6h 20m
Wishing Tree CD Marillion Fish Genesis Carnival Of Souls Steve Rothery Original US $30.99 Buy It Now 6h 20m
Crash Course Rare CD New Marillion Fish Genesis Pendragon Pallas Porcupine Tree US $99.99 Buy It Now 6h 20m
GENESIS FOXTROT 1972 JAPAN CD OBI 3200yen 32VD 1ST PR US $139.99 Buy It Now 6h 20m
The Way We Walk Vol. 2 GENESIS LIVE Tony Banks Phil Collins Limited Ediiton CD US $3.95 Buy It Now 6h 24m
GENESIS - SELF TITLED - VINYL LP ALBUM RECORD 80116 VG++ US $4.99 [0 bids]
Marillion Live At Walsall 1990 Rare Fish CD Transatlantic Genesis Dream Theater US $49.99 Buy It Now 6h 26m
RUSH Roll the Bones - CASSETTE USA Print 1991 - no genesis stix yes US $2.95 [0 bids]
GENESIS Abacab LP Atlantic 1981 w/ Inner Sleeve US $6.95 Buy It Now 6h 30m
FISH rare issue INTERNAL EXILE 1991 U.K. Import CD 9 tracks MARILLION Genesis US $19.99 Buy It Now 6h 30m
PROMO WHITE LABEL / PETER GABRIEL GENESIS / WITH MONOCROME / EIN DEUTSCHES ALBUM US $149.99 Buy It Now 6h 38m

More places to buy GENESIS music online Buy GENESIS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GENESIS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GENESIS Happy The Man ratings distribution

GENESIS Happy The Man reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars I waited years to get or even hear this mystery single, originally issued in 1972. in the 80's it was fetching £65.00 in the small ads in Record Collector. I finally located an MP3 and wasn't too disappointed, it sounded quite nice so I managed to get hold of a reissue on ebay for a few pounds. After repeated listens it grew on me, and is now an established part of my collection. I followed Genesis since1970 when I heard the track "In the Beginning" off the "Revelation" album (the best track) on a compilation called "Wowie-Zowie - the best of progressive Rock!". I subsequently bought the "Trespass" album and have been hooked on Genesis and Prog Rock ever since. Genesis fans seem to be in two camps - Gabriel era and Collins era. Won't go too deeply into that although I prefer the Gabriel era and still follow Peter's music, I think Phil Collins did a fantastic job taking Genesis to new heights and new audiences. If you can get a copy of this single you'll grow to enjoy it as an essential Gabriel era song.

Send comments to mystic fred (BETA) | Report this review (#71871) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Review by Guillermo
2 stars "Happy the Man" is not a very interesting song, IMO. It has some silly lyrics, similar in style to the lyrics of the song "I Know What I Like" in the absurd meaning. Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins sung the song together, as they did in "I Know What I Like" (also released as a single and in their "Selling England by the Pound" album in 1973), and in other songs like "Harold the Barrel" (this last song is from the "Nursery Cryme" album). "Happy the Man" was recorded and released in 1972, after the "Nursery Cryme" album was released in 1971, and before they recorded their "Foxtrot" album. "Happy the Man" was also played in concert by the band in those days. This song wasn`t a hit as a single, but it became a "collector`s item" until it was released in the 4 CD Box Set called "Genesis Archives 1967-1975", in 1998.

IMO, "Seven Stones", the song included in the Side "B" of this single, is much better, with the use of the mellotron, "dramatic" vocals by Gabriel, and a better performance by all members of the band. It also was released in their "Nursery Cryme" album.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#74080) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
4 stars We should only care about "Happy the Man" because "Seven Stones" is well known and rated in "Nursery Cryme", so lets do it.

Not the best Gabriel era Genesis track but good enough, the lyrics are 10 years advanced for the era, seems like talking about a simple guy of this days living his life with no troubles or cares:

Where you go - where? Yeah, yeah, yeah, nowhere

Sounds like a usual Gabriel criticism to the good people that care for anybody or anything around him just living his life, he's just having fun while the rest are trying to be cool, but at the same time seems to be a nice person because the last phrase describes him as He is a good man... in other words a member of the generation X.

The lyrics are somehow provoking when they mention Like a nun with a gun - I'm wonderful fun Laughing all through - just watching you Seems a very stupid game...But I don't care, I even read a fundamentalist page criticizing them for this statement, but as the song says "I don't care".

The music is simple and catchy, not a masterpiece even when still a good track that would had been a fabulous replacement for the incredibly boring "For Absent Friends" or even later for the horrendous #More Fool Me", a choice that I will never understand, specially having been a side "A" of the single, they left it away from any LP.

Of course "Seven Stones" (The "B" side) is better from a Prog perspective, but that's another story.

Now the rating, as I said it's not a masterpiece, but I believe it's a great addition for any Prog collection because it's a rare item, and if you got the original 45 rpm, you got a treasure that should be over the US$ 150.00 by this moments.

So four stars it is because of the difficulty to get it, I have edited a CDR (legal because I have both items bought in a store), replacing "For Absent Friends" with this track and sounds much better.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#135908) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 02, 2007

2 stars Happy the Man is possibly one of the most simplistic songs of the Gabriel era. Even lyrically, it's quite simple. It would seem it is about apathy, or somethingrather. It's an acoustic song, dominated by the mediocre vocals. However, after many listens, the song grows on you and it's a catchy litt ... (read more)

Report this review (#129637) | Posted by Shakespeare | Saturday, July 21, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This song is reminsicent of "Willow Farm" and "I Know What I Like". It's quirky and charming in a Gabriel-ish sort of way. This song is just as good as the filler tracks on "Nursery Cryme" like "Harlequin" and "Harold the Barrel". I actually prefer "Happy the Man" to "Seven Stones." ... (read more)

Report this review (#107108) | Posted by Schindleria | Thursday, January 11, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Crappy the man, this is by far the least impressive track of the whole Gabriel area. Recorded around the Nursery Cryme period this single just would not sell. In this case it is a shame as the flip side is the excellent seven stones. This track realy doesnt seem to fit into the progressive per ... (read more)

Report this review (#92253) | Posted by burgersoft777 | Wednesday, September 27, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I guess I'll throw my review in here for this since no one has reviewed it yet. I'm not going to rate this as a single (since we all know the song "Seven Stones" and it is reviewed in Nursery Cryme.) "Happy the Man" is a less than mediocre song in my opinion. If you haven't heard it, it is a sta ... (read more)

Report this review (#56284) | Posted by FragileDT | Monday, November 14, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of GENESIS "Happy The Man "