HAPPY THE MAN

- Steve Hackett / guitars
- Tony Banks / keyboards
- Mike Rutherford / bass, guitars
- Phil Collins / drums

7" Vinyl Charisma CB181 (1972)

Thanks to PROGMAN for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

GENESIS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GENESIS Happy The Man Music

DukeDuke
ATLANTIC/Q RECORDS
And Then There Were ThreeAnd Then There Were Three
Wea Int'l 1994
GENESIS cassette tape pop album THE WAY WE WALK THE LONGS volume two lot 36 US $9.61 Buy It Now 30m 48s
STEVE HACKETT-GENESIS REVISITED LIVE AT HAMMER~-JAPAN MINI LP 3 HQCD 2 DVD O00 US $65.50 Buy It Now 32m 4s
GENESIS cassette tape pop album FOXTROT two lot 36 US $11.24 Buy It Now 33m 58s
GENESIS cassette tape pop album NURSERY CRYME two lot 36 US $11.24 Buy It Now 36m 26s
J.T. HATTEN & THE MIGHTY GENESIS - JUST PRAISING GOD NEW CD US $15.52 Buy It Now 1h 3m
NEW GENESIS Montana State University LP PRIVATE 60s XIAN FOLK RARE US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 14m
PETER GABRIEL-GENESIS "Games without frontiers" RARE 7" ITALY -NEAR MINT US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Invisible Touch by Genesis CD japan Daio Kosan pressing 1986 US $12.50 [0 bids]
Genesis/Friction - Soul Children US $11.75 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Genesis - Lamb Lies Down On Broadway CD US $30.38 Buy It Now 2h
Steve Hackett (Genesis) Cured RARE 1981 South Korea "Sunkyong Magnetic" Cassette US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 5m
GENESIS - NURSERY CRYME / NM MINT- SUPERB / RJ7032 JAPA US $79.99 Buy It Now 2h 14m
GENESIS - SAME / VERTIGO 1983 / NM MINT- CLEAN COPY / J US $59.99 Buy It Now 2h 14m
DON McLEAN " CRYING / GENESIS ( IN THE BEGINNING ) " 7" SINGLE EXCELLENT 1978 US $4.06 Buy It Now 2h 26m
042284392129 Knebworth Album PINK FLOYD GENESIS ETC 1993) - 2 CD SET - FAST POST US $10.59 Buy It Now 2h 34m
GENESIS WE CAN'T DANCE 1991 JAPAN CD 2500yen 1st PRESS US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
GENESIS FOLLOW YOU FOLLOW ME / BALLAD OF BIG UK 7" 1978 US $7.49 Buy It Now 2h 46m
KHY - GENESIS NEW CD US $38.24 Buy It Now 2h 53m
GENESIS (ROCK/PROG/POP GROUP) i can't dance 12" double a sided sex mix (geton1) US $16.31 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Genesis Live "The Way We Walk" 1993 Magazine Advert #127 US $8.14 Buy It Now 2h 59m
Genesis Abacab CD Atlantic Label 19313-2 1981) West Germany US $4.99 [1 bids]
3h
Genesis Live Japan Rare LP BLACK OBI INSERT US $19.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS LIVE_rare alt cover_used VINYL LP_ships from AUSTRALIA! US $89.41 Buy It Now 3h 8m
Record 45 GENESIS Man on the Corner / Submarine 1981 1982 Atlantic w/cover US $0.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS A TRICK OF THE TAIL 1976 WEST GERMANY CD 1ST PRESS US $69.99 Buy It Now 3h 18m
GENESIS ABACAB 1981 WEST GERMANY CD JAPAN ED 32PD 1ST PRESS US $69.99 Buy It Now 3h 21m
GENESIS - Abacab - Excellent Condition 7" Single Charisma CB 388 US $6.49 Buy It Now 3h 24m
GENESIS S/T 1983 WEST GERMANY CD 1ST PRESS US $69.99 Buy It Now 3h 30m
GENESIS / GENESIS CD PLATINUM DISC FREE P+P!! US $163.09 Buy It Now 3h 31m
GENESIS / GENESIS CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P!! US $146.78 Buy It Now 3h 32m
GENESIS ABACAB CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P!! US $146.78 Buy It Now 3h 32m
GENESIS ABACAB CD PLATINUM DISC FREE P+P!! US $163.09 Buy It Now 3h 32m
GENESIS INVISIBLE TOUCH CD PLATINUM DISC FREE P+P!! US $163.09 Buy It Now 3h 32m
GENESIS INVISIBLE TOUCH CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P!! US $146.78 Buy It Now 3h 32m
GENESIS WE CAN'T DANCE CD PLATINUM DISC FREE P+P!! US $163.09 Buy It Now 3h 32m
Genesis - Genesis Live: The Way We Walk, Vol. 1 (The Shorts) (U.K. Band) CD 1992 US $4.74 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Genesis Live: The Way We Walk, Vol. 2 (The Longs) CD US $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 34m
GENESIS- LP Platinum Disc-SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND(original Mad Hatter label US $212.04 Buy It Now 3h 43m
GENESIS- LP Platinum Disc - ABACAB US $195.73 Buy It Now 3h 45m
GENESIS_and Then There Were Three_used VINYL LP_ships from AUSTRALIA! US $22.34 Buy It Now 3h 49m
DELANEY & BONNIE ~'Genesis'~UK LP 1971~ZGL 113~1L/1L US $35.87 Buy It Now 3h 50m
GENESIS TRESPASS 1970 JAPAN SANYO RARE CD 1ST PRESS US $59.99 Buy It Now 4h
GENESIS - GENESIS (+DVD) NEW CD US $24.17 Buy It Now 4h
GENESIS ~VERY RARE IN CONCERT 1982 SILK TOUR JACKET ~ PHIL MIKE TONY HAND SIGNED US $1,296.72 Buy It Now 4h 14m
GENESIS 3 X VINYL LP OFFER INC ABACAB AND RARE ROCK ROOTS LP*ALL EXCELLENT ITEMS US $26.02 Buy It Now 4h 19m
Genesis 45 Misunderstanding / Behind The Lines US $3.00 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Promo 45 rpm - PHIL COLLINS - I Missed Again - GENESIS - 1981 - MT - w/Co. Slv. US $5.50 Buy It Now 4h 28m
Genesis 45 Paperlate / You Might Recall US $3.00 Buy It Now 4h 32m
GENESIS - TRESPASS - RARE UK CHARISMA EX+ GATEFOLD SLEEVE COMPLETE WITH LYRICS US $11.42 [0 bids]
Neon Genesis Evangelion: 3nd Impact (PSP) soundtrack, new, sealed US $8.94 Buy It Now 4h 38m
Genesis-Rock Roots UK Decca LP 1976 US $13.03 Buy It Now 4h 39m
GENESIS Land Of Confusion European 45PS 1986 US $8.00 Buy It Now 4h 41m
PSYCHIC TV UNCLEAN / MIRRORS PTV GENESIS P ORRIDGE COIL TEMPLE GOLD/BLACK EX 12" US $99.99 Buy It Now 4h 44m
GENESIS follow you follow me 1978 UK CHARISMA PS 45 US $9.79 Buy It Now 4h 50m
Genesis "Genesis" - Excellent condition - Scarce and hard to Find! US $3.00 [0 bids]
GENESIS: Nursery Cryme US $10.50 Buy It Now 4h 56m
Neon Genesis Evangelion Soundtrack II US $9.99 [0 bids]
Neon Genesis Evangelion Addition first press US $9.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS Live / The Way We Walk Volume One CD 1992 / Best Of US $11.58 Buy It Now 5h 2m
Second Genesis + Wayning Moments - Shorter,Wayne (Quarte/Quintet) New US $20.79 Buy It Now 5h 5m
Turn It on Again: The Hits by Genesis (U.K. Band) (CD, Mar-2007, Atlantic/WEA) US $4.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS - INVISIBLE TOUCH - ORIGINAL 1986 UK VINYL ALBUM ON VIRGIN RECORDS - EX US $1.61 [0 bids]
Genesis - Trespass - Japan Mini LP CD.- (New and Sealed) VJCP-68091.OBI US $48.85 Buy It Now 5h 9m
GENESIS 3 SIDES LIVE DOUBLE ALBUM CD GOLD DISC FREE POSTAGE!! US $244.58 Buy It Now 5h 10m
Genesis Music Milestones: Duke DVD US $16.40 Buy It Now 5h 11m
Genesis - Nursery Cryme - Japan Mini LP CD.- (New and Sealed) VJCP-68092.OBI US $48.85 Buy It Now 5h 12m
Genesis - Foxtrot - Japan Mini LP CD.- (New and Sealed) VJCP-68093.OBI US $48.85 Buy It Now 5h 15m
GENESIS - ...AND THEN THERE WERE THREE Vinyl LP Record 1978 GATEFOLD US $24.47 Buy It Now 5h 17m
GENESIS in the beginning LP PSYCH London Peter Gabriel Shrink EX/NM US $12.00 [0 bids]
GENESIS trespass LP PSYCH MCA Peter Gabriel Shrink EX/NM US $12.00 [0 bids]
GENESIS live LP PSYCH Charisma Peter Gabriel Shrink EX/NM US $12.00 [0 bids]
Genesis - Selling England By The Pound - Japan Mini LP CD. (New) VJCP-68094 OBI US $48.85 Buy It Now 5h 23m
Genesis Abacab Vinyl LP 33 RPM Gently Used 1981 Atlantic Records US $3.99 [0 bids]
Genesis - A Trick Of The Tail - Japan Mini LP CD. (New and Sealed) VJCP-68098 US $48.85 Buy It Now 5h 30m
Genesis Duke 1980 George Piros 1st Press, VG+, ULTRASONIC CLEANED! US $12.00 Buy It Now 5h 30m
Genesis - Wind and Wuthering - Japan Mini LP CD. (New and Sealed) VJCP-68099 US $48.85 Buy It Now 5h 32m
My Genesis [Digipak] by Cindy-Leigh Boske (CD, Nov-2012, Dream Records) US $3.99 Buy It Now 5h 36m
GENESIS 1976-1982 - VINYL BOXSET - 180gm REMASTERED - COLLECTORS EDITION US $203.87 Buy It Now 5h 40m
GENESIS - SECONDS OUT NEW CD US $24.17 Buy It Now 5h 41m
Genesis - And Then There Were Three - Japan Mini LP CD. (New) VJCP-68102 US $40.70 Buy It Now 5h 43m
GENESIS "THREE SIDES LIVE" DOUBLE LP RECORD ALBUM - ATLANTIC SD 2-2000 - 1982 US $9.95 [0 bids]
Genesis - Duke - Japan Mini LP CD. (New and Sealed) VJCP-68103 OBI US $40.70 Buy It Now 5h 46m
GENESIS 1982 WHTE LBL PROMO turn it paperlate 45RPM NEW US $9.95 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Case Of 30 Turn It On Again The Hits by Genesis Brand New CD 18 Songs US $119.99 Buy It Now 5h 48m
Genesis - Abacab - Japan Mini LP CD. (New and Sealed) VJCP-68104 OBI US $35.80 Buy It Now 5h 49m
GENESIS -ABACAB - 9 TRACK EARLY PRESS CD -1987 -NO BARCODE -FREE FASTPOST US $12.02 Buy It Now 5h 52m
Genesis(12" Vinyl)That's All-Virgin-TATA 1 12-UK-Ex/New (UNPLAYED) US $21.19 Buy It Now 5h 53m
PETER GABRIEL (Genesis) Shaking the Tree: Sixteen Golden Greats CD Sledgehammer US $2.49 [1 bids]
PHIL COLLINS (Genesis) Serious Hits...Live! 1990 Concert CD US $2.49 [0 bids]
Genesis Invisible Touch LP GENLP2 US $6.52 Buy It Now 5h 54m
Genesis - Genesis 1983 - Japan Mini LP CD. (New and Sealed) VJCP-68107 US $40.70 Buy It Now 5h 56m
Genesis(Vinyl LP Gatefold)Duke-Charisma-9124 053-Germany-Ex/Ex US $9.77 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Genesis - In The Beginning (NEW CD ) US $15.89 Buy It Now 5h 58m
MAGELLAN - IMPENDING ASCENSION - Cassette (Rush, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Genesis US $7.99 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Genesis - Invisible Touch - Japan Mini LP CD. (New and Sealed) VJCP-68108 US $40.70 Buy It Now 5h 59m
7"-Single GTR When The Heart (1986) GERMANY PS / STEVE HACKETT HOWE YES GENESIS US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 59m
Genesis - We Can't Dance - Japan Mini LP CD. (New and Sealed) VJCP-68109 US $40.70 Buy It Now 6h 3m
GENESIS PHIL COLLINS DUKE CD GOLD DISC RECORD FREE P&P! US $146.78 Buy It Now 6h 6m
B.Howard - Genesis [Limited Japan Edition] +2 Bonus Tracks New w/OBI RARE CD US $6.99 [0 bids]
The Way We Walk Vol. 2 GENESIS LIVE Tony Banks Phil Collins Limited Ediiton CD US $3.95 Buy It Now 6h 9m

More places to buy GENESIS music online Buy GENESIS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GENESIS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GENESIS Happy The Man ratings distribution

GENESIS Happy The Man reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars I waited years to get or even hear this mystery single, originally issued in 1972. in the 80's it was fetching 65.00 in the small ads in Record Collector. I finally located an MP3 and wasn't too disappointed, it sounded quite nice so I managed to get hold of a reissue on ebay for a few pounds. After repeated listens it grew on me, and is now an established part of my collection. I followed Genesis since1970 when I heard the track "In the Beginning" off the "Revelation" album (the best track) on a compilation called "Wowie-Zowie - the best of progressive Rock!". I subsequently bought the "Trespass" album and have been hooked on Genesis and Prog Rock ever since. Genesis fans seem to be in two camps - Gabriel era and Collins era. Won't go too deeply into that although I prefer the Gabriel era and still follow Peter's music, I think Phil Collins did a fantastic job taking Genesis to new heights and new audiences. If you can get a copy of this single you'll grow to enjoy it as an essential Gabriel era song.

Send comments to mystic fred (BETA) | Report this review (#71871) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Review by Guillermo
2 stars "Happy the Man" is not a very interesting song, IMO. It has some silly lyrics, similar in style to the lyrics of the song "I Know What I Like" in the absurd meaning. Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins sung the song together, as they did in "I Know What I Like" (also released as a single and in their "Selling England by the Pound" album in 1973), and in other songs like "Harold the Barrel" (this last song is from the "Nursery Cryme" album). "Happy the Man" was recorded and released in 1972, after the "Nursery Cryme" album was released in 1971, and before they recorded their "Foxtrot" album. "Happy the Man" was also played in concert by the band in those days. This song wasn`t a hit as a single, but it became a "collector`s item" until it was released in the 4 CD Box Set called "Genesis Archives 1967-1975", in 1998.

IMO, "Seven Stones", the song included in the Side "B" of this single, is much better, with the use of the mellotron, "dramatic" vocals by Gabriel, and a better performance by all members of the band. It also was released in their "Nursery Cryme" album.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#74080) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
4 stars We should only care about "Happy the Man" because "Seven Stones" is well known and rated in "Nursery Cryme", so lets do it.

Not the best Gabriel era Genesis track but good enough, the lyrics are 10 years advanced for the era, seems like talking about a simple guy of this days living his life with no troubles or cares:

Where you go - where? Yeah, yeah, yeah, nowhere

Sounds like a usual Gabriel criticism to the good people that care for anybody or anything around him just living his life, he's just having fun while the rest are trying to be cool, but at the same time seems to be a nice person because the last phrase describes him as He is a good man... in other words a member of the generation X.

The lyrics are somehow provoking when they mention Like a nun with a gun - I'm wonderful fun Laughing all through - just watching you Seems a very stupid game...But I don't care, I even read a fundamentalist page criticizing them for this statement, but as the song says "I don't care".

The music is simple and catchy, not a masterpiece even when still a good track that would had been a fabulous replacement for the incredibly boring "For Absent Friends" or even later for the horrendous #More Fool Me", a choice that I will never understand, specially having been a side "A" of the single, they left it away from any LP.

Of course "Seven Stones" (The "B" side) is better from a Prog perspective, but that's another story.

Now the rating, as I said it's not a masterpiece, but I believe it's a great addition for any Prog collection because it's a rare item, and if you got the original 45 rpm, you got a treasure that should be over the US$ 150.00 by this moments.

So four stars it is because of the difficulty to get it, I have edited a CDR (legal because I have both items bought in a store), replacing "For Absent Friends" with this track and sounds much better.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#135908) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 02, 2007

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
3 stars The song 'Happy the Man' is a Genesis rarity from the golden era, and for that reason it certainly is of interest, but judged as a song it's without a doubt one of their poorest. OK, the debut album from 1969 contains perhaps even worse songs, but we're speaking of the classic, prog era Genesis. Having released the ambitious prog albums Trespass and Nursery Cryme, and on the way of releasing Foxtrot with a side-long epic in it, they must have thought "Hey, let's make a simple, naiive and happy song just for change!" That goal was reached very well. It is a nice little song that makes you feel happy, and the lyrics are amusing. But would it fit into one of their classic albums? No, I don't think so. Selling England's 'More Fool Me' (sung by Phil Collins) is often considered as a weak filler track, but to me it fits there just fine.

Many progheads think that the American prog band Happy The Man took their name from this single, but they picked it from a line in Goethe's Faust, originating from the Bible.

On the B side is 'Seven Stones' a wonderful song from Nursery Cryme. I have always liked it very much; it's relatively short and more or less in the verse-chorus-verse structure, but full of vintage prog charisma. The single itself is a valuable collector's item, but for its contents three stars is enough.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#1273605) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 09, 2014

2 stars Happy the Man is possibly one of the most simplistic songs of the Gabriel era. Even lyrically, it's quite simple. It would seem it is about apathy, or somethingrather. It's an acoustic song, dominated by the mediocre vocals. However, after many listens, the song grows on you and it's a catchy litt ... (read more)

Report this review (#129637) | Posted by Shakespeare | Saturday, July 21, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This song is reminsicent of "Willow Farm" and "I Know What I Like". It's quirky and charming in a Gabriel-ish sort of way. This song is just as good as the filler tracks on "Nursery Cryme" like "Harlequin" and "Harold the Barrel". I actually prefer "Happy the Man" to "Seven Stones." ... (read more)

Report this review (#107108) | Posted by Schindleria | Thursday, January 11, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Crappy the man, this is by far the least impressive track of the whole Gabriel area. Recorded around the Nursery Cryme period this single just would not sell. In this case it is a shame as the flip side is the excellent seven stones. This track realy doesnt seem to fit into the progressive per ... (read more)

Report this review (#92253) | Posted by burgersoft777 | Wednesday, September 27, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I guess I'll throw my review in here for this since no one has reviewed it yet. I'm not going to rate this as a single (since we all know the song "Seven Stones" and it is reviewed in Nursery Cryme.) "Happy the Man" is a less than mediocre song in my opinion. If you haven't heard it, it is a sta ... (read more)

Report this review (#56284) | Posted by FragileDT | Monday, November 14, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of GENESIS "Happy The Man "