SILENCE

Buy A.C.T Music
Studio Album, released in 2006

1. Truth Is Pain (4:09)
2. Puppeteers (4:13)
3. This Wonderful World (4:20)
4. Out Of Ideas (4:47)
5. Hope (4:29)
6. Into The Unknown (3:55)
7. No Longer Touching Ground (4:11)
8. Useless Argument (4:49)
9. The Voice Within (3:55)
10. Polish, Reduce, And Enlarge (3:55)
11. Call In Dead (2:51)
12. Consequences:
- a. Silent Screams (1:58)
- b. Introduction (0:51)
- c. The Millionaire (2:10)
- d. Joanna (3:09)
- e. A Father's Love (2:32)
- f. Memory to Fight (2:43)
- g. The Diary (3:10)
- h. A Wound that Won't Heal (4:32)
- i. The Final Silence (1:36)

Track 10 is the bonus track on Japanese release

Search A.C.T Silence lyrics

Search A.C.T Silence tabs

- Jerry Sahlin / synthesizers, lead and backing vocals, vocoder and deck of cards
- Ola Andersson / electric and acoustic guitars, lead and backing vocals

- Hanna Hajslund Hansen / violin
- Catharina Holm / viola
- John Löfgren / cello

Acting Actors:
- Kenny Sahlin / additional lead vocals (2)
- Martin Hedin / angry customer (11)

CD InsideOut IOMCD 263 (2006)

Thanks to mathboychoi for the addition
and to Grendelbox for the last updates

A.C.T MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy A.C.T Silence Music

Circus PandemoniumCircus Pandemonium
Actworld
F.A.C.T.: Future Alliance of Communication & Tecknology, carl cox disc 2 US $1.86 Buy It Now 2 days
MTM SAMPLER - Rock Is Coming Home Volume 4 CD AOR AXE DARE A.C.T. + 2 RARE TRACK US $4.99 [0 bids]
HORIZON (Swe.) - s/t 1998 CD TITAN Afterglow A.C.T. Cleopatra MEGA RARE SWE AOR US $89.99 Buy It Now 4 days
CARL COX F.A.C.T. US $4.58 Buy It Now 4 days
A.C.T-CIRCUS PANDEMONIUM-JAPAN CD BONUS TRACK F83 US $30.50 Buy It Now 5 days
CARL COX F.A.C.T. AUSTRALIA II A GLOBAL TOUR MUSIC 2CD US $29.90 Buy It Now 5 days
A.C.T Circus Pandemonium JAPAN CD WITH BONUS TRACK US $31.80 Buy It Now 8 days
SebastiAn Feat. M.I.A. ?- C.T.F.O. - CD dj - 5 mixes US $16.57 Buy It Now 8 days
Carl Cox - F.A.C.T. 2 (2 X CD Box Set) US $6.12 Buy It Now 10 days
Carl Cox -F.A.C.T. (Future Alliance of Communication & Tecknology The Silver.2CD US $26.52 Buy It Now 11 days
CARL COX - F.A.C.T 2 - 2xCD Techno Classic Fact 1997 Dave Clarke Underworld PVD US $16.57 Buy It Now 12 days
EXHORTATION .C.O.N.T.A.C.T. CD 1999 MEGA RARE OOP DEATH/THRASH ORIG 1st PRESS!!! US $39.99 Buy It Now 13 days
Carl Cox Fact (F.A.C.T) Vol.1 (2CD) Silver Edition - Mixed by Carl Cox RARE CDs US $14.91 Buy It Now 13 days
Carl Cox - F.A.C.T. - CD 1 - RARE Original 1995 UK REACT CD1 56 Trance Techno US $3.24 Buy It Now 17 days
A.C.T. - Silence (CD, 2006, Insideout Music, Germany) US $15.99 Buy It Now 17 days
** LAUREL AITKEN ALL STARS SKINHEAD ORGAN INVASION CANCER IS A C**T! II LTD EDN US $21.54 Buy It Now 21 days
Artless Boy With A C##t 1987 Starving Missile Blue Vinyl Record Album Lp US $19.97 Buy It Now 21 days
Various Artists : F.a.C.T. Australia 2 (Mixed By Carl Cox) [Australian Import] ( US $9.97 Buy It Now 22 days
A.C.T / Today's Report JAPAN+1 AOR E US $24.99 Buy It Now 23 days
T.R.A.C/T.R.A.C. - THE NETWORK - NEW CD US $9.14 Buy It Now 24 days
A.C.T. - SILENCE [A.C.T.] - NEW CD US $16.26 Buy It Now 25 days
Carl Cox F.A.C.T Australian Trance Techno 2 CD US $15.86 Buy It Now 26 days
A. C. T. - "Silence" CD 2006 1st GERMAN PROMO ONLY + BIO ORIG w/Multimedia Bonus US $23.88 Buy It Now 28 days
CD: CARL COX - F.A.C.T. US $9.93 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy A.C.T music online Buy A.C.T & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for A.C.T DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

A.C.T Silence ratings distribution

A.C.T Silence reviews

Review by Moatilliatta
3 stars After Last Epic I was really excited for the follow up: Silence. The band had just struck a deal with Inside Out, meaning more people would finally be able to hear this impressive group. For this album, the group returns to the non-concept format, but does have one epic, "Consequences." I'll be honest, I was quite disappointed. A lot of the tunes lacked the wit, and the bite of their masterpiece. They were still catchy, but they were all a lot less fun, and less intriguing, not to mention way more straightfoward in structure and theory. A few instrumental segments harkened back to the glory of Last Epic, but A.C.T just did not have it all together. After repeated attempts, I did grow to enjoy these pieces, but not near the level of enjoyment I was expecting. As far as "Consequences" concerns, it is not so much one song as it is like a bunch of short songs telling pieces of a story. Not so much a musical epic, but an epic in its original definition. This could have been expected, as the epics from the first two albums were of the the same attributes. We have awesome parts, both in power and beauty, but it too falls short of perfect. It's a good album, maybe even a little more, but it's not nearly as good as I had expected. I'll go with 3.5 stars. Highlights are "Truth Is Pain," "Out of Ideas," "Hope," and "Useless Arguement" and in the epic: "Joanna," Memory to Fight," and "A Wound That Won't Heal."

Send comments to Moatilliatta (BETA) | Report this review (#104635) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Review by Menswear
3 stars The voice within.

Mine's saying 'see the best in every situation!' In that case, it could be a good attitude to approach this album...because it's not as toppy as I wish. I wouldn't say ACT missed the point, because the core of ACT is intact (phew!).

What went different on this album is that the songs are much more mellow than the other albums. ACT is drawing away of what we call 'muscle prog' without being a sissy band per se. What was cool with ACT was the amount of butt kicking melted with the symphonic and the popish sides of music. Now, the pop is taking over the muscle and the Acting orchestra is taking a lot more space. Some will be happy with the results, saying that the album is less irritating and more easy to get into. True. Some people with not a real taste for complicated material will find this album fun and a good initiation to the 'concept album' shennanigans we are used to.

Honestly, I'm a TAD disapointed because after Imaginary friends and Last Epic, the world is still opening to ACT but I was expecting a bit more muscle and a much bombastic sound. But hey, just having the record is nice because 2006 sucked bad.

Don't get me wrong, in my opinion, what is an 'okay job' for ACT is still a 'huge effort' for most of today's bands. The humor in the lyrics, the vocals, the guitars and the keyboards (ouh la la) are still on top on many people's list, so don't be afraid to give a listen but don't make it your introduction to ACT first!

Hey, this record is such a good meddle between indie and commercial music that it reached number 4 on the charts in Sweden! Now that's great marketing results!!!

Send comments to Menswear (BETA) | Report this review (#110065) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars From "relationship" to "global warming"

Beyond my conscious mind, I have been a fan of A.C.T, and I think I have reviewed all of their albums before this one at this site. For me, this band is very unique and in fact I have never heard the kind of music they play. In one of the reviews I mentioned it as a cabaret rock music - or something like that. Of course, my favorite was their "Last Epic" album which blew me away at first spin of the CD. The album has a tight composition and outstanding production. But when I got this "Silence" CD, I was a bit disappointed at first spin because I did not grab the "aha" at the first spin. Fortunately, it grew on me after couple of spins even though it's not as great as "Last Epic" album. "Silence" comprises short tracks (track 1 - 10) followed with multi-section epic (track 11 - 19).

Truth Is Pain (4:09) opens the album beautifully with a tightly composed opening part comprising ambient riffs followed with sudden break to accommodate the vocal to enters. In fact, the sudden break is excellent as it provides the listeners trigger a question "what's next?" after the break. When the vocal says "Once it was great, just be alive. Life was so simple, I was satisfied with myself" .. wow it represents great impact to my emotion and I feel bad with the music. It then flows beautifully with some combination of soft riffs, string section and rhythm section. The flow of the music is so wonderful, combined with great melody. The guitar solo in the middle is stunning but it has much more impact when the keyboard provides its solo after guitar. Great track! Full five stars! The lyrics are all about relationship.

Puppeteers (4:13)moves in such a way faster in terms of tempo compared to the opening track. The key to this track excellence is on its vocal choirs and weird rhythm section, augmented with operatic (cabaret like) singing style. Listening to this track is like imagining myself watching an opera with a story line. The melody line is also strong and this track is excellently positioned after "Truth is Pain".

This Wonderful World (4:20) is another great track as great as the opening track. It starts with accentuated and theatrical singing style emphasizing environmental issues - global warming which has polluted the sea. This track has a wonderful melody line augmented with excellent string section / orchestration. The multi-style nature of this track makes it so dynamic and really enjoyable listening. I like especially the positive phrases of lyrical part : "This wonderful world . Now you think I will tell you which way to go .", especially the melody line during this segment is so catchy. It's a great track.

Out Of Ideas (4:47) has a groovy nature combining bass guitar and acrobatic drumming, augmented by piano and guitar fills. When I first listened to this track for the first time, I obviously did not feel something special - but with more spins it has finally become a good variation in terms of song sequence. This song is really different from the first three songs. The chorus line is powerful : "Oh, nothing to say, how cruel. Who do you think you fool?". There is musical break which features jazzy guitar fills in slower tempo which makes this track looks rich in textures.

Hope (4:29) blasts the music off with so called heavy riffs ala progressive metal but with the intense style of A.C.T. When the vocal enters, the music changes significantly. The rhythm section while accompanying lead vocalist is performed by drums. The music flows with heavy riffs unique A.C.T. The chorus line also truly represents the ACT style. It's a nice track especially when it suddenly changes the music after the break with a work of keyboard followed beautifully with guitar solo. It's really an excellent composition!

Into The Unknown (3:55) is to me sounds like a pop song with keyboard-orientated rhythm section. During the singing portion, the guitar is played like guitar fills of Steve Hackett. As a pop song, I don't see the complexities or dynamics of its composition it just flows smoothly like any pop song.

No Longer Touching Ground (4:11) keeps the pace of its previous track in pop mode even though it has more upbeat than the predecessor. The opening part reminds me to the music of Mike and The Mechanics. I would say this track is just mundane, nothing special.

Useless Argument (4:49) is a Beatles-influenced song with frequent tempo changes from fast to suddenly into slow segments and returning back into fast one. The guitar work provides a combination of riffs, fills as well as solo.

The Voice Within (3:55) gives more space for bass guitar to provide tight bass lines from low until medium register notes. Keyboard provides good intertwined roles or support each other. Unfortunately, this track lacks melody line, nothing special. In fact, when I reach this track I feel getting bored with this album. Too bad, but that's what I feel.

Call In Dead (2:51) brins the music back into faster and upbeat tempo style and some choirs sound like Queen's. The rhythm section sometimes with heavy riffs but it also changes to reggae as well. Looking at the music flows, this is quite dynamic track actually and it's better than two previous tracks.

Consequences represents this album's epic that comprises 9 parts with each duration is relatively short (from 0.51 to 4:32). It starts beautifully with "Silent Screams" through slow keyboard work that reminds me to the melody of pop song by Air Supply "All out of Love" (?) (1:58) augmented beautifully with excellent violin work. The music suddenly burst into heavy rhythm with frequent tempo changes followed with "Introduction" which features nice singing line. It suddenly moves the "Tom Jones"(?) like music (hmm I think its something like "Delilah" song). Under "The Millionaire". The bass guitar provides nice entry to next excellent track "Joanna" which has good riffs and acrobatic keyboard as well as guitar work combined with orchestra. This is really ann excellent part because the music is really dynamic - especially during ending part where keyboard provides nice solo backed with heavy riffs. It continues seamlessly with excellent break under "A Father's Love" through melancholic vocal line - it's really nice, indeed! "Memory to Fight" brings the music into upbeat style followed with another melancholic break in "The Diary". "A Wound that Won't Heal" music style is like an encore even though this is not the end of track. The epic closes with "The Final Silence" with melody line that is similar with the opening part "Silent Screams" this time with howling guitar solo.

Conclusion

I know that I enjoy this album even though not all tracks are outstanding; those who are excellent are really excellent, but those mundane stuffs have in away jeopardized my overall rating about this album. The problem that I have with this album is the feeling of getting bored after listening to until track no.6 or 7. That's why, I conclude this review with an overall album as "very good". I enjoy it and I recommend you to have it as well. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#135687) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 01, 2007

Review by sleeper
3 stars Silence is my first, and so far only, encounter with Swedish quintet A.C.T and I must say, judging by the relative ratings and the under whelming impression I've so far had, I probably brought the wrong album.

The biggest problems I have with this album is that its largely antithetical to my particular tastes in music. There is nothing particularly complex or clever about the arrangements and compositions that the band uses here and I find the permanent cheeriness of the album to be quite annoying, but then I've always been one for bleak melancholy so that was hardly a surprise. At 68 minutes this is quite a long album as well, particularly since their is little to differentiate the 19 or so songs from each other, I think Silence would have benefited from cutting out 5 or 6 tracks, though I doubt that would change my rating. Listening to this album I cant help but feel that they could have given so much more, the musicianship is of a generally high level suggesting that they know what they are doing and could have written far more interesting music.

Overall its a great disappointment to me but people that enjoy well crafted pop songs might find a lot more in this album than I have. I've given it 3 because its just doesn't match my personal tastes at all but people that enjoy music with an up beat, cheery feeling may get a lot out of this.

Send comments to sleeper (BETA) | Report this review (#208939) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 27, 2009

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
3 stars OK, this is failure. After being interesting, melodic and prog at the same moment, they simply turned themselves in and became pop rock. There is a distinct difference and is clear to hear in this album. That's sad, because I believed them quite a lot, loved (more or less) their previous albums that stood the test of time (in my case and also in case of others, as I can see). Even, to be honest, it's not so bad, because there are still elements (even in much lesser amount than before) that I admired in their previous work.

3(+), even I enjoy it a lot, it's pop with prog elements and I feel that better rating would not be appropriate.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#252008) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 21, 2009

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars I was extremely hyped when I finally got the album and put it in my stereo! Although I was somewhat confused after my initial experience the album has definitely grown on me over the years. Many complain that A.C.T are getting more commercial but I personally found a lot more creativity here than on most progressive-releases of the last few years. Now let's talk about the release:

First off I really liked that Thomas finally managed to transfer his great live sound to the studio recording. The sound that comes from his drum-kit can only be compared to likes of Neil Peart! And if I understood correctly there is even a minor reference to Rush song Trees at the beginning of the album!

Ola Andersson has probably been my favorite guitarist ever since I've heard his work on the track Svetlana off Imaginary Friends! Even he has managed to outdo himself on tracks like Out Of Ideas, Silent Screams and many more.

The keyboards and vocals are as great as they have ever been my only concern is for Peter on the bass. Although his live performances are awesome, I have difficulties of following his work on the albums. But what could one expect when the bands sound is so rich and there is almost no time to show off any particular instrument.

After listening to the album for the first time I was a bit disappointed about the increased number of violin-numbers and the increased melodic feel on each track. But eventually I managed to see beyond all that once I discovered that every track is incredibly well thought through and that there are quite a few truly progressive moments on it, all I had to do was to pay attention! The same thing happened with Consequences (The Long One). At first I was disappointed that the song wasn't as over the top and energetic as the previous long compositions, especially Personalities. But already after the second listen I found the first traces of pattern in structure and began realizing the songs true potential.

Finally I would like to add that my favorite thing about A.C.T is that the band has never tried to show off their great craftsmanship, instead they managed to insert it all in their amazingly accessible music. Hopefully they will eventually get the recognition that they truly deserve.

***** star songs: Truth Is Pain (4:09) Out Of Ideas (4:47) Polish, Reduce, And Enlarge (3:55) Call In Dead (2:51) Silent Screams (1:58) Introduction (0:51) The Millionaire (2:10) Joanna (3:09) A Father's Love (2:32) Memory to Fight (2:43) The Diary (3:10) A Wound that Won't Heal (4:32) The Final Silence (1:36)

**** star songs: Puppeteers (4:13) This Wonderful World (4:20) No Longer Touching Ground (4:11) Useless Argument (4:49) The Voice Within (3:55)

*** star songs: Hope (4:29) Into The Unknown (3:55)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#258117) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 27, 2009

Review by TheGazzardian
3 stars Swedish Band A.C.T's 2006 release, Silence, is an enjoyable listen, if rarely rising beyond that description.

The songs are, for the most part, short (around 4 minutes), except for the epic, "Consequences". They follow the basic pop-rock song structure, with chorus', verses, etc. The band sings in English, which is nice for us English speakers, but some of the lyrics are a little forced. This can be charming on the first time through, but when the awkward phrasing's make it into the chorus, they tend to start getting annoying. ("For all sake, but he's fake, I won't break, now it's time for the speech").

The instruments rarely take the foreground, but that doesn't stop them from shining. They are played playfully, and it's clear that the band enjoys what they are doing. One thing I appreciate is that the instruments rarely settle on anything, moving through various riffs and ideas to support the vocals, so as not to get boring.

In a way, this album reminds me of Frost*, just in the overall sound - it has a sense of "mainstream" sound to it, much like Frost*, but is still undeniably prog. That being said, I feel that Frost* is a bit more successful at achieving this.

The epic is a nice track, held together by the concept and some musical themes. The most prominent of which you will hear in Silent Screams played on the piano, and Herman sings along with the theme at various points. What always throws me for a loop, is that the theme sounds a fair amount like Air Supply's "All Out of Love" (specifically, it pretty much exactly matches the part where the band sings, "I'm all out of love, I'm so lost without you"). Which, given the theme of the song, is appropriate, I suppose. It's not particularly mind-blowing in execution, but it has lots of good parts, and feel cohesive. It ranges from pretty to heavy at various points, and the instruments are given a bit more space here than on the rest of the album.

Altogether, an enjoyable album.

Send comments to TheGazzardian (BETA) | Report this review (#293391) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 04, 2010

3 stars ACT's last-to-date album is marked by some as a further dilution of their progressiveness. This refers to the first part of the album, consisting of 10 short songs (the second half is a 20-minute quasi-suite, more on that later). While the style mix is less eclectic (no excursions into Latin mu ... (read more)

Report this review (#1009522) | Posted by Progrussia | Thursday, August 01, 2013 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Now here's a band I've been looking forward to checking out. I came across the name of A.C.T. in a forum post where they were compared to the Sweedish popsters ABBA. Being an ABBA fan (and not afraid to admit it), a more prog version of that style of music immediately appealed to my musical tast ... (read more)

Report this review (#777018) | Posted by FunkyM | Sunday, June 24, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A.C.T were one of the first bands I started listening to on my return to modern prog. I have a love of melodic and symphonic prog. A.C.T's music is accessible and fun and has many influences. Their arrangements are a strange but intriguing hybrid of orchestration, pop and melodic prog. Persona ... (read more)

Report this review (#642567) | Posted by Richens | Monday, February 27, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Maybe a comparatively weaker release of A.C.T. Not a concept album though. Without previous very good album, this one would deserve at least 4.5 stars. I suspected that the lower score here is due to the drastic change in characteristic of the band, It doesn't, however, make this album any les ... (read more)

Report this review (#256123) | Posted by Jadittir | Monday, December 14, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Having listened through the A.C.T. catalogue for only about a month now, I have to say I'm very impressed with the band and Silence is, for the time being at least, my favorite of their output. The first to albums are excellent as well, but the much praised Last Epic sounds a bit more play it saf ... (read more)

Report this review (#210818) | Posted by Platypus66 | Thursday, April 09, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I think this album - this *great* album - is superior than Last Epic. Last Epic was powerful, heavy, direct. This album is more intimate, minimal, quiet. But I think its deepness is far superior. The band doesn't want to tear down walls, but to create simple and delicate feelings. Simple and deli ... (read more)

Report this review (#174330) | Posted by pepato | Wednesday, June 18, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Being Swedish and all, you would have thought I'd discover this band long ago...but as it happens, I started less than a year ago. Now, I've listened to all of their albums, this one seems to be most easily accessible, sometimes approaching the Eurovision Song Contest - with an ingenious twist... ... (read more)

Report this review (#151822) | Posted by sanjuansueco | Tuesday, November 20, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This is my intro to A.C.T., butI must say that I'm not that impressed. The music is not so progressive, more like the radio rock with average and popular stuff. I don't believe that this album should be as highly rated as it is on this site; it is listenable, but definitely nowhere near a masterp ... (read more)

Report this review (#109371) | Posted by taylanbil | Monday, January 29, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars As a "Newbie", I wanted to try submiting a review. Since this is the newest album I have gotten, I'll start here. First of all, I must say I really like this album. It is a pinnacle of progressive rock?, well NO. It is, however, very good. The band doe a great job of writing catching and acces ... (read more)

Report this review (#94995) | Posted by 42ndAGE | Thursday, October 19, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars A.C.T. has a knack for keeping things interesting....and though I find this album enjoyable, it is NOT a must have for me. Many of the strengths of Imaginary Friends and Last Epic are here, including solid writing, great musicianship, and strong production. What is missing here though is the ... (read more)

Report this review (#92080) | Posted by | Tuesday, September 26, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars If you like their previous albums, you`ll like this one. Another fine job of keyboardist and guitarist, very good melodies, sometimes not so progressive, but always strong. Vocal parties have all necessary diversity. In Silence A.C.T use more orchestral passages than before and it works great. ... (read more)

Report this review (#87612) | Posted by elusive shadow | Friday, August 18, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of A.C.T "Silence"