TURN IT ON AGAIN - THE HITS

Genesis Turn It On Again - The Hits album cover

Collectors/fans only

Buy GENESIS Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1999

1. Turn It On Again (3:49)
2. Invisible Touch (3:26)
3. Mama (hits edit) (5:18)
4. Land Of Confusion (4:44)
5. I Can't Dance (3:59)
6. Follow You Follow Me (3:58)
7. Hold On My Heart (4:37)
8. Abacab (hits edit) (4:10)
9. I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) (4:04)
10. No Son Of Mine (hits edit) (5:44)
11. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight (single edit) (4:28)
12. In Too Deep (4:56)
13. Congo (hits edit) (4:02)
14. Jesus He Knows Me (4:16)
15. That's All (4:24)
16. Misunderstanding (3:11)
17. Throwing It All Away (3:49)
18. Carpet Crawlers (1999 Re-recording) (5:39)

Search GENESIS Turn It On Again - The Hits lyrics

Search GENESIS Turn It On Again - The Hits tabs

- Tony Banks / keyboards, backing vocals
- Phil Collins / drums, percussion (1-12, 14-18), lead vocals (1-8, 10-12, 14-17, part 18)
- Peter Gabriel / lead vocals (tracks 9, 18), flute (9)
- Steve Hackett / lead guitar (9, 18)
- Mike Rutherford / lead guitar (1-8, 10-17), Bass guitar, backing vocals (1-18)

Atlantic Recording Corporation

and to m@x for the last updates

GENESIS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GENESIS Turn It On Again - The Hits Music

Turn It on Again: The HitsTurn It on Again: The Hits
Atlantic 2007
Lamb Lies Down on BroadwayLamb Lies Down on Broadway
EMI Europe Generic 2009
Trick of the Tail (CD/DVD)Trick of the Tail (CD/DVD)
Rhino 2007
Nursery CrymeNursery Cryme
Wea Int'l 1990
TrespassTrespass
Fontana Mca 1993
Genesis Selling England by the Pound Sealed Classic 180 Gram Analogue Audiophile US $70.00 Buy It Now 30m 4s
Genesis Genesis Cd ATLANTIC 1983 Very Good+!! US $6.29 [0 bids]
32m 51s
Bulk Lot Genesis/Phil Collins/Peter Gabriel/Mike & The Mechanics US $28.24 Buy It Now 40m 21s
GENESIS WHITE MOUNTAIN U.K. TOUR 1976 US $49.99 Buy It Now 45m 23s
The Last Knell - Aeon Vmbra Genesis CD 2011 black metal Animus Mortis US $12.95 Buy It Now 46m 20s
GENESIS LIVE / AND THEN THERE WAS NURNBERG US $59.99 Buy It Now 47m 55s
Genesis And Then There Were Three LP Record Pressing VG++ to Near MInt 1978 US $20.00 Buy It Now 49m 50s
GENESIS YOU'LL LOVE US LIVE US $69.99 Buy It Now 52m 5s
MIKE RUTHERFORD (GENESIS) - "Smallcreep's Day" LP 1980 US PROMO w/LETTER US $24.88 Buy It Now 53m
GENESIS THE BEDSIDE YELLOW FOAM US $39.99 Buy It Now 54m 49s
GENESIS IN CONCERT / 2LP CONDITION US $59.99 Buy It Now 57m 53s
GENESIS invisible touch LP VG+ 78 16411 RL Ludwig DMM Vinyl 1986 CANADA US $30.40 Buy It Now 59m 15s
GENESIS - "Duke" LP 1980 ORIG 1st US PROMO - No UPC!! US $24.88 Buy It Now 1h
DUTCH TOURDATES'78/ QUEEN, ELO, GENESIS,FOREIGNER, JETHRO TULL &MORE US $3.50 Buy It Now 1h 6m
GENESIS WIND & WUTHERING ORIGINAL INNER SLEEVE LP 585 US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisited II 2 CD US $10.99 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Flaming Youth "Ark 2" 1969 Fontana Stereo LP (Genesis) US $84.87 Buy It Now 1h 42m
ICONOCLASTA s/t 1983 Mexican prog LP ORIG 1st LP, 1st press symph Genesis style US $49.99 Buy It Now 1h 52m
GENESIS Wind & Wuthering LP 1976 NM Original ATCO Label in SHRINK Hype Sticker US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Brand X - Masques (1978) [SEALED] - vinyl LP; Phil Collins, Genesis, Progressive US $10.99 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Phil Collins - Face Value CD - Genesis, In the Air Tonight US $3.77 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Anthony Phillips - Archive Collection Volume 2 - New Sealed UK 2 CD Set Genesis US $18.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
GENESIS LIVE THE WAY WE WALK VOLUME TWO THE LONGS 1993 JAPAN CD OBI 2500yen VJCP US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 59m
GENESIS-SELF TITLED-ORIGINAL YUGOSLAV LP 1981-UNIQUE WHITE RTB LABEL-NEAR MINT US $21.00 Buy It Now 3h 2m
GENESIS - TRESPASS NEW CD US $9.39 Buy It Now 3h 23m
INFERNAEON - GENESIS TO NEMESIS NEW CD US $11.34 Buy It Now 3h 42m
Genesis A trick of the tail LP CDS4001 VG/EX UK Gatefold US $20.52 Buy It Now 3h 49m
Genesis And then there were three LP CDS4010 EX/EX UK Gatefold US $16.79 Buy It Now 3h 49m
Genesis Live LP CLASS1 VG/EX UK US $37.33 Buy It Now 3h 49m
Genesis - Invisible Touch - NM US $6.95 [0 bids]
BANKSTATEMENT 7" VINYL I'LL BE WAITING VIRGIN 1208 TONY BANKS GENESIS US $6.16 Buy It Now 4h
GENESIS WIND & WUTHERING ISRAELI LP HEBREW PRINT ROCK VINYL PHONODOR 1977 ISRAEL US $15.00 Buy It Now 4h
GENESIS ABACAB 1981 US $0.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS: Turn It On Again (The Hits) (Atlantic) US $2.99 Buy It Now 4h 27m
GENESIS a trick of the tail LP VG+ Virgin 1548 Venezuela Press 1975 Stereo RARE US $80.00 Buy It Now 4h 29m
Tony Banks (Genesis) - A Curious Feeling. 1979 Charisma LP Ex! US $5.08 Buy It Now 4h 52m
Genesis - Three Sides Live. 1982 Charisma LP Ex! US $5.92 Buy It Now 4h 52m
GENESIS ~ Illegal Alien ~ 7" Single SHAPED PICTURE DISC US $20.35 [0 bids]
GENESIS WIND AND WUTHERING VINTAGE METAL BUTTON BADGE FROM THE 1980's US $8.47 Buy It Now 5h 14m
Genesis - Turn It On Again [CD New] US $13.83 Buy It Now 5h 20m
GENESIS invisible touch import mint US $13.18 Buy It Now 5h 20m
GENESIS / In the Beginning (1977) / LONDON LABEL LP RECORD US $5.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway 2CD - Orginal CGSCD 1 - Booklet missing US $19.90 Buy It Now 5h 27m
Genesis Vertigo Years Australian CD on Startrax (1990) US $18.78 Buy It Now 5h 30m
GENESIS - REINECKE: PIANO QUARTETS & QUINTETS - NEW CD US $11.53 Buy It Now 5h 30m
GENESIS - INVISIBLE TOUCH (+DVD) NEW CD US $25.44 Buy It Now 5h 42m
GENESIS FOXTROT CASSETTE US $5.09 Buy It Now 5h 43m
GENESIS / LOT OF 4 LP RECORDS / WIND + FOXTROT + LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY US $9.99 [0 bids]
HITS HEAVY OZ CASSETTE TAPE U2 ROSE TATTOO GENESIS TOTO US $14.12 Buy It Now 5h 54m
Genesis Invisible touch (Live) 7" GENS10 VG/EX UK Gatefold Limited Edition US $17.72 Buy It Now 5h 56m
Genesis No son of mine 7" GENS6 /EX UK US $10.25 Buy It Now 5h 56m
Genesis Spot the pigeon 7" GEN001 VG/EX UK US $13.99 Buy It Now 5h 56m
GENESIS THREE SIDES LIVE DOUBLE 12" VINYL RECORD ALBUM 1982 MATRIX A1/B1/C1/D1 US $16.96 Buy It Now 5h 59m
DELANEY & BONNIE genesis LP VG+ ST-93307 USA Capitol Record Club 1971 GNPS 2054 US $24.00 Buy It Now 6h
BUSTA RHYMES_Genesis_used CD_ships from AUSTRALIA_q1 US $9.41 Buy It Now 6h 3m
GENESIS ~'ARCHIVE 1967-75'~V.RARE 12 TRACK PROMO ONLY CD SAMPLER~VIRGIN 1998~NEW US $50.91 Buy It Now 6h 9m
2PM-GENESIS OF 2PM DELUXE BOX EDITION TYPE:A-JAPAN CD+DVD Ltd/Ed L45 US $56.50 Buy It Now 6h 10m
HEARD - GENESIS NEW CD US $12.48 Buy It Now 6h 13m
2PM-GENESIS OF 2PM REGULAR EDITION-JAPAN CD Ltd/Ed G65 US $33.99 Buy It Now 6h 16m
GENESIS TAPE WE CAN'T DANCE US $3.95 Buy It Now 6h 28m
GENESIS "INVISIBLE TOUCH" ATLANTIC RECORDS STEREO 81641-E NM/EX US $7.00 Buy It Now 6h 37m
Vinyl LP Record Album - GENESIS Nursery Cryme US $42.44 Buy It Now 6h 47m
Genesis Duke 1980 George Piros 1st Press, VG+, ULTRASONIC CLEANED! US $12.00 Buy It Now 6h 51m
Genesis The Platinum Collection CD NEW (UK Import) US $18.37 Buy It Now 6h 59m
Genesis - Wind & Wuthering CD WEA2 US $19.93 Buy It Now 7h 10m
Genesis - Trick Of The Tail CD WEA/RHINO US $21.09 Buy It Now 7h 10m
Genesis - Wind & Wuthering CD VIRGIN US $16.63 Buy It Now 7h 11m
GENESIS - LIVE OVER EUROPE NEW CD US $25.44 Buy It Now 7h 12m
George Jones - The Genesis of a Genius - The Early Sessions - 2 CD set US $14.99 Buy It Now 7h 14m
Royal Philharmonic O - Rpo Plays Hits Of Genesis CD US $14.69 Buy It Now 7h 15m
Genesis - We CanT Dance CD EMI US $41.50 Buy It Now 7h 18m
Genesis - Wind & Wuthering CD EMI US $49.43 Buy It Now 7h 18m
Genesis - Abacab CD EMI US $40.87 Buy It Now 7h 18m
GENESIS THREE SIDES LIVE GATEFOLD COVER LP 700 US $8.99 Buy It Now 7h 23m
Genesis Invisible Touch MASTERDISK Archive Master Audiophile Press, CLEAN, A+ US $32.00 Buy It Now 7h 29m
GENESIS / FOXTROT / TRESPASS / DOUBLE PLAY CASSETTE TAPE / VIRGIN (CHARISMA) '72 US $25.44 Buy It Now 7h 30m
Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisited Ii: Collection CD US $16.35 Buy It Now 7h 32m
GENESIS ENTANGLED THE RAREST GENESIS FRENCH SINGLE US $100.00 [0 bids]
GENESIS~INVISIBLE TOUCH~ "SEALED" ~MINT~ATLANTIC 81641-1-E~ POP LP US $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 38m
Infernaeon - Genesis To Nemesis CD US $10.78 Buy It Now 7h 42m
Rotting Christ - Genesis CD US $13.28 Buy It Now 7h 45m
J.T. & The Mighty Genesis Hatten - Just Praising God CD US $14.05 Buy It Now 7h 49m
Heard - Genesis CD US $11.25 Buy It Now 7h 50m
Yngwie Malmsteen - Genesis CD US $18.11 Buy It Now 7h 53m
Tracy Young - Genesis Pt. 1 CD US $17.61 Buy It Now 7h 55m
GENESIS-Lot of 2 vintage adverts US $5.08 Buy It Now 7h 56m
Monique Walker - My Genesis CD US $18.40 Buy It Now 7h 58m
Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisited Ii CD INSIDE OUT US $21.17 Buy It Now 8h

More places to buy GENESIS music online Buy GENESIS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GENESIS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GENESIS Turn It On Again - The Hits ratings distribution

GENESIS Turn It On Again - The Hits reviews

Review by Marcelo
1 stars This album is the evidence. Yes, nothing is impossible. The most artistic and fanstastic musicians are able to make the worst cd. This is not progressive, is the most commercial and ugly pop. The rating bad is too good for it. It's signed by GENESIS, but if not, I'm sure that this cd never would deserve a place at any progressive site. The "pearls" "Mama" and "I Can't Dance" are included, wow!

Send comments to Marcelo (BETA) | Report this review (#10829) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 20, 2003

Review by Greger
4 stars I have always been a fan of GENESIS, especially the Peter GABRIEL-era. The first GENESIS album I heard were "A Trick Of The Tail" (1976), and the first I bought were "Trespass" (1970). Even if this was my favourite GENESIS period, I never stopped listening to them, and to this date I have bought all their 15 studio albums + the live albums. Although I think that their glorious days have passed I still think that they've always delivered quality albums. This collection of Hits shows just how good composers GENESIS are. 15 of the 18 tracks are played entirely by Tony Banks, Phil Collins & Mike Rutherford. Unfortunately there isn't much represented of the 70's in this Hits-collection. They recorded many classics back in the 70's, but they didn't produce any hits that are for sure. This compilation does however contain a re-recording of "The Carpet Crawlers" from "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" (1974). My favourite tracks are "Follow You, Follow Me", "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" and "The Carpet Crawlers 1999". GENESIS were one of the progressive pioneers in the 70's and without their contribution to the music history, many progressive bands today would've sounded totally different. This is the perfect starter for the explorers of 80's and 90's Genesis. "The Carpet Crawlers 1999" in itself makes this compilation worth buying. Highly recommended!

Send comments to Greger (BETA) | Report this review (#10830) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 27, 2004

Review by Prognut
2 stars I am personally a hard core Genesis fan, mostly Gabriel era. I think everybody agrees that after Hackett departure Genesis became one of the most succesfull Pop music Bands (duh!!!) I am not too exited about all their later work, although I respect what they have done, this particular compilation mainly is all Pop Genesis guided by Collins influence, they throw in there only 2 proggressive compositions. In all this album has nothing new and I only spent my money on it to have the new version of The Carpet Crawlers, which by itself I guess worth the sacrifice...You can always skip until the middle (Song 9) and the end (Song 18) anyway or better yet, burn on a CD the new version. I would never advised to download any Genesis material, because I srongly believe that if you are a fan..get it, and if not just do not bother...

Send comments to Prognut (BETA) | Report this review (#10831) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 26, 2004

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
1 stars Mister Collins and Co. always try to rub in the face of older fans they were commercially successful when Peter and Steve left, but at what cost?

They had to sacrifice quality, greatness, transcendence, in other words art, in order to get their hands on the big bucks.

But what pisses me more is that they throw us two candies (I Know What I Like and Carpet Crawlers 99) as if progressive fans were stupid to believe it's a return to their roots only because this two tracks. In other words they insist with the pop stuff but because they know new fans are not faithful enough to buy this sad compilation (most of them had forgotten the band after CAS), but they try to sell a few more albums to the older and only loyal fans using this two tracks as a fishing hook.

I won't even loose my time describing the 16 "hits" from the post Hackett era, because they are not even worth to worry about, so we have two tracks left.

The first one is "I Know What I Like (In your Wardrobe)", which never was among my favorite tracks, too commercial oriented for my taste, but it's too good to be surrounded by songs like "Invisible Touch" or "Throwing it all Away". Mr. Collins, please leave Gabriel songs where they belong!!!!

The second one is "Carpet Crawlers 99" which IMHO is the worst version of this correct song, has been to softened to fit in this album, not even Peter Gabriel saves this one. I believe the tracks from a conceptual album (like The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway) must never be taken out of their natural context where they make sense, in this case is just a soft and boring ballad.

If you don't have it, don't buy it. If you were tricked by the two tracks I mentioned, you can give a better use to the CD like a coaster or a small Frisbee.

As a sign of respect for the two tracks from the golden era won't give this album a 0 rating, but doesn't deserve more than one star.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#10839) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Review by Guillermo
2 stars I don`t have this album, as it is a collection of hits that I already have in L.P.s or in C.D.s of their original albums. The main interest in this album for the "old fans" is the "Carpet Crawlers 1999 re-recording", a new version of this song which I downloaded as this song was briefly available for downloading in GENESIS`s first official website in late 1999. So, my comment is particularly for this new version, which was produced by Trevor Horn. This version was recorded between 1995 and 1999, by Banks/Rutherford/Collins/Gabriel/Hackett, each one recording their parts at different times and in different studios. Hackett said in interviews (maybe as a joke) that "everybody almost telephoned their parts to the studio". There are rumours about Wilson being invited to sing a verse. The last verse of the song is not sung, as it seems that it was the verse which Wilson was going to sing (it is only a rumour, I think). But the first verse is sung by Gabriel, with Collins in backing vocals and other verse in sung by Collins with Gabriel in backing vocals. It is a good version, not as good as the original version. This is a "modern" version. The producer also employed some additional musicians, like one person who helped with the programming of some keyboards and maybe also of the drum machine. As a whole, this compilation is good mainly for Fans who want to have every GENESIS `s album , or for the Radio listener who only knows their hits.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#10841) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Review by Bj-1
2 stars This compilation consist only of Genesis biggest hits after Steve Hackett left the band. Mostly disasters, though there are some tracks I really like here too. But originally, this one obviously was designed only to cash in money at Genesis popularity and mostly purchased by people who only remembered Genesis for their 80's phase, and not their glorious 70's phase. It's not that I hate Genesis' 80's works, but this is a souless and sell-out attempt to make an compilation, imo. One good point for progheads here is the "Carpet Crawlers '99" re-recording cut at the end, but even that one isn't really a reason enough to buy this album.

2 stars because of some of the songs I really enjoy here, but otherwise, this one is only for 80's Genesis fans!

Send comments to Bj-1 (BETA) | Report this review (#10849) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 24, 2005

Review by Chicapah
3 stars No, I didn't buy this. I found it in my wife's convoluted mess of cassettes and figured that, since it's from one of my favorite bands ever, it deserves my opinionated review. My better half is not a progger by any stretch of the imagination but when it comes to Genesis she knows what she likes and she likes what she knows. In other words, she considers them a superb pop group that created a lot of popular songs and videos that she enjoyed during the 80s. And, with this compilation being called "The Hits," this is exactly what she thought she was purchasing. Good for her. For me, I tend to think of this as Genesis (with a few exceptions) after they became afflicted with the MTV virus.

Wisely they start things off briskly with "Turn It On Again" from the excellent "Duke" album. Almost every tune on that baby was a winner in my book and it launched this catchy song's prog time signature onto car radios all over the world. Next you are treated to the blatantly commercial "Invisible Touch" with its pointless lyrics and then the weird hysterics of the creepy "Mama" but both tracks rank miles above the annoying, noisy "Land of Confusion." It's so grating that it makes their mediocre novelty song "I Can't Dance" a relief to hear. "Follow You, Follow Me" always reminds me of the first time I put ".And Then There Were Three" on my turntable and sadly realized that the glory days of hearing mind-blowing epics from these guys might be coming to an end. (With the exception of "Duke" I was right, unfortunately.)

"Hold On My Heart" is a fine example of the sappy love ballads that became their bread and butter in their latter days and if this is your cup 'o tea then indulge yourself. "Abacab" still packs a punch, however, and this edited version still shows they had some pep in their step as late as 1981. For those poor souls who are amazed to find out that Peter Gabriel used to be their front man (don't laugh, there's a lot of Muggles out there clueless to this fact) you get the wonderful, whimsical "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" to provide a nostalgic oasis along the way. "Throwing It All Away" follows and a number of fans probably thought they were writing this about their legacy but it's just another slick ballad about a failed relationship.

"No Son of Mine" rocks pretty hard and lyrically it boldly takes on a touchy subject that actually has relevance. "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" might have sold a lot of beer but it has never slaked my thirst for some good ol' symphonic prog. It's just too 80s VH-1 sounding for me. What's next? Yep, it's another overwrought ballad coming at you as "In Too Deep" rolls through (boy, these guys had some real issues in their home lives, I guess). The rarely-heard "Congo" has their usual high production values but it also makes me glad I didn't shell out any lettuce for that final album. I like "Jesus He Knows Me" a lot because I admire any band that shines a glaring spotlight on the despicable hypocrisy of TV evangelists and this tune does a great job of it. "That's All" is just one of those songs that I have no strong opinion about. It just sorta lays there. (Hey, it could have been worse. They could have included the ridiculous "Illegal Alien.") When I said that "almost" every song on "Duke" was a winner, "Hot Fun in the Summertime" .oops, I mean "Misunderstanding" is the exception. Well, the riff is an absolute rip-off no matter how they may rationalize it. Sly Stone should get a partial writing credit.

If there is a single reason for any Genesis fan to own this album it's for the inclusion of "The Carpet Crawlers 1999." It provides a wistful "what if" moment if there ever was one. No, it's not an improvement over the original by any means but hearing the unmistakable voices of Peter and Phil together again with up-to-date studio techniques in play causes me to wonder just how fantastic a modern rendition of "Nursery Cryme" or even "Foxtrot" might sound. (Okay, call me a heretic!) Alas, this more than decent revised version is still good mainly because it's such a killer tune and it's probably as close as we'll ever come to a genuine reunion.

Why three stars? Well, it certainly isn't for the proggers who already have the original albums that made them legend and most of these songs are seriously deficient in progressive ideals, no doubt. But when taken in light of the schlock that was being slung about during the dismal MTV-plagued years that were the 80s these lads at least maintained a modicum of professionalism and integrity about themselves and it's my belief that they could have done much, much worse.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#131955) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 05, 2007

Review by Gatot
2 stars This compilation does not present a balanced setlist between two era of Genesis: Gabriel as lead singer and Phil Collins as lead singer. Most of the songs are taken from Phil Collins era. Even worse, the era after Steve Hackett left the band. Only two songs that involve Gabriel and Hackett, i.e. "I Know What I like" and "Carpet Crawlers". This CD compilation had been for such a long time at our local C store and I had never had any intention to purchase it until my colleague Genesis fan, Temy, told me that the last track "Carpet Crawler" was re-recorded with Peter Gabriel and Stephen Hackett. So, I did purchase the CD for this one single song! Well, I am really satisfied with this re-recording version of "Carpet Crawlers" because I have now the new version when all of the members were getting old already and the version is very different with the original version from the album "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway". This only last track that makes the purchase of this CD is worthwile - especially the CD was produced locally in my country.

But, I don't recommend newbie to start the journey of progressive music from Genesis from this compilation because it will give wrong impression about the band. They should start from "Selling England By The Pound".

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#157858) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 05, 2008

Review by J-Man
1 stars Yuck. Now, I hate late Genesis, and I realize that this is a complitation of hits, but this just awful. They threw a bunch of hits together for a mild late-Genesis fan, and as a result a progger like me is left in the dust. It's obvious that they tried to make this sort of even between the two eras of Genesis by including two Gabriel-era songs, but two of their more decent, shorter songs is nothing in comparison to 16 god- awful songs. TURN IT OFF AGAIN is my title for this because trust me, this stuff is never playing when I'm around.

Send comments to J-Man (BETA) | Report this review (#192883) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 13, 2008

Review by colorofmoney91
1 stars This is a compilation that spans Genesis' career as a singles pop act. This was the first album that I ever bought of Genesis' music hoping for a "best of" containing fantastic progressive rock, without knowing that they had been a singles act for quite some time. Needless to say, I was immediately upset with the music on this collection. Uninspired pop tunes galore.

I did, however, re-wrap this CD and send it to my mother, knowing that she loves '80s pop. She loved it, so my money didn't go to waste entirely. A very bad introduction to Genesis indeed. Definitely stay away from this unless you want the band's poppy tunes.

Send comments to colorofmoney91 (BETA) | Report this review (#429408) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 08, 2011

3 stars This was the first Genesis album I attained, and I must say, I like it. Though it does disappoint me to find that Peter Gabriel was only featured on two songs, "I Know What I Like" and "The Carpet Crawlers 1999," I really don't blame Genesis for this decision. The album is greatly run on pop so ... (read more)

Report this review (#253139) | Posted by Calculate900 | Friday, November 27, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I'm a fan of all things Genesis. That includes the Peter Gabriel Era, The Tony Banks Era, and the Phil Collins Era. I don't understand the hate for this album. It's title contains the words "The Hits". That means no Supper's Ready, No Musical Box because they were not hits. Favorites, so ... (read more)

Report this review (#242051) | Posted by tdfloyd | Tuesday, September 29, 2009 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Early Genesis is some of the best Symphonic Prog that is out there, but late Genesis leaves something to be desired. After Hackett and Gabriel quit Collins made them sound more like a dance/pop band as evidenced in "Tonight, Tonight". One of the only good things on this album is "I Know What Y ... (read more)

Report this review (#242048) | Posted by The Block | Tuesday, September 29, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This compilation may not be every Genesis fans dream come true, but for me this album is basically my childhood on a disc. Of the two Genesis eras, I have to admit I'm a Phil Collins fan, and rather enjoy their more commercial material. On display here is pretty much all their biggest hits from ... (read more)

Report this review (#187416) | Posted by Valarius | Thursday, October 30, 2008 | Review Permanlink

1 stars It is with a heavy heart that I admit... this is the only Genesis album I know. I will get round to buying 'Selling England...' et al. but this collection is abbysmal. Only four songs capture my attention. 'I Know What I Like...' for its charming English eccentricity (Which a charming English ec ... (read more)

Report this review (#165082) | Posted by burtonrulez | Wednesday, March 26, 2008 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Having been fortunate enough to see the Collins led Genesis 6 times before they turned commercial, My only regret of course was having missed the Peter Gabriel led version. At the time, I was in my early teens and the closest they came to New York was the Capitol Theatre in NJ. And I conside ... (read more)

Report this review (#160778) | Posted by drziltox | Monday, February 04, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Carpet Crawlers 99' is simply great. Peter Gabriel sounds as good as ever and the whole band is back at least for this one track. I find the remixing tasteful and successful in creating a single feel with Carpet Crawlers. The added gloss and percussion/synth works very well. A must have. If you ca ... (read more)

Report this review (#127313) | Posted by mcgoverntj | Monday, July 02, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Post Hackett Genesis seemed to hit on a winning pop formula. Perhaps they were just a right band at the right time but its now quite difficult to work out why they became so successful. Like most pop this music cannot be separated from its period. Almost all of these singles are throw away but ... (read more)

Report this review (#95094) | Posted by burgersoft777 | Thursday, October 19, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars This compilation offers the hits - that is the most commercial songs - of Genesis. If this compilation was meant to attract new listeners, I think it failed. Most of the songs are from the Genesis pop-rock era. Hardly essential songs to attract people to listen; it's enough to have listened ... (read more)

Report this review (#87642) | Posted by Cristi | Saturday, August 19, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I think this album is very good. It has exactly what the title says it has, the hits. For those wanting the Peter Gabriel stuff, don't look here. The Peter Gabriel era of Genesis never produced any singles. The had there first hit single in 1978 as far as radio is concerned. I would howev ... (read more)

Report this review (#69424) | Posted by | Wednesday, February 15, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Another compilation, this time of the greatest hits of Genesis. Why does all those classic bands from the 70s realease one compilation every year nowadays? It isn't just the prog bands. Anyway, this compilation is more for the fans of the pop-era Genesis. Nothing for the prog-fan except of I k ... (read more)

Report this review (#42690) | Posted by Frasse | Saturday, August 13, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Well it does what it says it does: it gives you the hits. If you're a Peter Gabriel era fan, you aren't looking for hits as such, because there's only one (included here, I Know What I Like). For people curious regarding the FM radio powerhouses the band produced in the 80s, this would be a ... (read more)

Report this review (#10852) | Posted by Rob The Good | Wednesday, April 20, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I give this rating based on the criterion of the necessity of this album being in any progressive rock fans collection. Here are my disclaimers: I am a big Gabriel-era Genesis fan, although I enjoy the Collins years (albeit in decending order) and have always loved Phil's drumming. I am a ... (read more)

Report this review (#10848) | Posted by | Wednesday, February 09, 2005 | Review Permanlink

1 stars As a greatest hits CD of the poppier Genesis, this gives a good overview and shows that the band did produce good pop music throughout the eighties. It is a good way to collect great pop/rock songs like Land of confusion and Jesus He knows me. As such, a 3.5 star rating would be in its place, but ... (read more)

Report this review (#10846) | Posted by | Thursday, January 13, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is a compilation of singles so why do people go on ranting about what it isn't? Some people just want to rant on an on about some Genesis they had in their minds. A Genesis that they thought belonged to them, a Genesis that they thought they controlled with their progessibe rock strings an ... (read more)

Report this review (#10840) | Posted by | Thursday, August 26, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of GENESIS "Turn It On Again - The Hits"