TURN IT ON AGAIN - THE HITS

Genesis Turn It On Again - The Hits album cover

Collectors/fans only

Buy GENESIS Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1999

1. Turn It On Again (3:49)
2. Invisible Touch (3:26)
3. Mama (hits edit) (5:18)
4. Land Of Confusion (4:44)
5. I Can't Dance (3:59)
6. Follow You Follow Me (3:58)
7. Hold On My Heart (4:37)
8. Abacab (hits edit) (4:10)
9. I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) (4:04)
10. No Son Of Mine (hits edit) (5:44)
11. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight (single edit) (4:28)
12. In Too Deep (4:56)
13. Congo (hits edit) (4:02)
14. Jesus He Knows Me (4:16)
15. That's All (4:24)
16. Misunderstanding (3:11)
17. Throwing It All Away (3:49)
18. Carpet Crawlers (1999 Re-recording) (5:39)

Search GENESIS Turn It On Again - The Hits lyrics

Search GENESIS Turn It On Again - The Hits tabs

- Tony Banks / keyboards, backing vocals
- Phil Collins / drums, percussion (1-12, 14-18), lead vocals (1-8, 10-12, 14-17, part 18)
- Peter Gabriel / lead vocals (tracks 9, 18), flute (9)
- Steve Hackett / lead guitar (9, 18)
- Mike Rutherford / lead guitar (1-8, 10-17), Bass guitar, backing vocals (1-18)

Atlantic Recording Corporation

and to m@x for the last updates

GENESIS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GENESIS Turn It On Again - The Hits Music

Turn It on Again: The HitsTurn It on Again: The Hits
Atlantic 2007
Selling England By The PoundSelling England By The Pound
Atlantic 1995
Lamb Lies Down on BroadwayLamb Lies Down on Broadway
EMI Europe Generic 2009
Genesis Box Set 3 (1970-1975)[13 Disc Set]Genesis Box Set 3 (1970-1975)[13 Disc Set]
Box set · Remastered
Rhino Records 2008
GenesisGenesis
Rhino 2007
Seconds OutSeconds Out
Atlantic 1994
FoxtrotFoxtrot
Wea Int'l 1990
Trick of the Tail (CD/DVD)Trick of the Tail (CD/DVD)
Rhino 2007
Genesis Live [Definitive Edition Remaster]Genesis Live [Definitive Edition Remaster]
Remastered
Atlantic / Charisma Records Ltd. 1994
Nursery CrymeNursery Cryme
Wea Int'l 1990
GENESIS Wind & Wuthering UK CHARISMA RECORDS VINYL LP + INNER CDS 4005 US $15.08 Buy It Now 43m 57s
GENESIS trespass Japan MINI LP SHM-CD US $32.00 Buy It Now 1h
Genesis(12"Vinyl)That's All-Virgin-TATA 1-12-Ex/Ex US $11.73 Buy It Now 1h 9m
GENESIS abacab Japan MINI LP SHM-CD US $29.00 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Vinyl record collection-GENESIS/TULL/SPENCER DAVIS/QUO/OLDFIELD/SAVOY BROWN US $55.37 [6 bids]
Genesis(Vinyl LP)Genesis-Charisma/Virgin-GENLP1-UK-VG/VG US $16.76 Buy It Now 1h 26m
SACD IMPORT Calling All Stations by Genesis (U.K. Band) (CD, Oct-2007, Virgin) US $14.99 [0 bids]
Phil Collins Going Back 2lp new vinyl genesis US $47.99 Buy It Now 1h 39m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - GENESIS - MAMA - MAMA1 US $11.73 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Genesis - We Can't Dance US $1.99 Buy It Now 2h
Inmortus - Spirituality, Orthodoxy and Genesis CD US $15.35 Buy It Now 2h 2m
GENESIS TE SEGUIRE RARE 7" ARGENTINA UNIQUE SLEEVE US $39.99 Buy It Now 2h 19m
Genesis -Three Sides Live-1982 Blue Swirl Vertigo 2 CD West Germany ** RARE ** US $39.89 Buy It Now 2h 21m
The Story of Genesis 2LP Japanese Import w/ OBI VG/VG+ Charisma SFX-10061-2 US $24.95 [0 bids]
STEVE HACKETT 7" VINYL P/S SHOW CB 357 1980 GENESIS EX US $6.46 Buy It Now 2h 50m
Selling England By The Pound [VINYL], Genesis, Acceptable US $23.51 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Genesis Invisible Touch ST865998 R VG+ C EX (LP-12577) US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h
ORIG SWEDISH '77 Bo Hansson "El-Ahrairah" LP OLDFIELD/FLOYD/GENESIS Cosmic Prog! US $49.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS LIVE CLASSIC RECORDS 1ST EDITION 180 GRAM AUDIOPHILE RARE SEALED LP US $279.99 Buy It Now 3h 15m
GENESIS / LIVE / CHARISMA LP 1984 RELEASE OF 1973 LP US $8.37 Buy It Now 3h 19m
GENESIS ATLANTIC 4053 PAPERLATE YOU MIGHT RECALL 45 rpm US $0.99 Buy It Now 3h 24m
GENESIS Japan 1985 Mint- LP ..AND THEN THERE WERE THREE US $18.99 Buy It Now 3h 29m
GENESIS WHERE THE SOUR TURNS TO SWEET 1986 ROCK MACHINE RE-ISSUE LP*N/MINT VINYL US $15.02 Buy It Now 3h 30m
LP-Brian Auger-Genesis 70's~Jazz Rock ~Psych~Prog US $14.99 [0 bids]
We Can't Dance by Genesis (CD, Nov-1991, Atlantic) MUSIC DISC & ARTWORK ONLY! US $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 37m
PHIL COLLINS - BOTH SIDES Rare Poland Pressing Cassette Genesis POLTON Label US $2.90 Buy It Now 3h 43m
lot of 3 different GENESIS used vinyl 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 49m
Genesis - Invisible Touch (R-153740) US $9.95 [0 bids]
4h
Genesis - Illegal Alien - Live In London 1977 & N.Y. 1981 & L.A. 1986 Promo CD US $35.99 Buy It Now 4h 2m
GENESIS Invisible Touch LP US $9.29 Buy It Now 4h 7m
Genesis: Invisible Touch 12" VG++ UK Virgin GENS 1 12 US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 16m
Genesis "Three Sides Live" DBL LP US $4.95 Buy It Now 4h 25m
Genesis - Live (Live Recording, 1999) {CD} D1113 US $8.37 Buy It Now 4h 25m
AC & Terra - Youthanasia CD UK Rap Hip-Hop New Sealed Genesis Elijah PA US $6.69 Buy It Now 4h 29m
GENESIS-MISUNDERSTANDING B/W-BEHIND THE LINES VG++ US $2.00 Buy It Now 4h 35m
Genesis - Abacab (RBYG) - DIFFERENT Press RARE Israel Israeli VERTIGO LP LISTEN US $14.24 Buy It Now 4h 36m
GENESIS WIND & WUTHERING ON THE ATCO LABEL 1977 HEAR IT US $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 37m
Genesis - Nursery Cryme - Cassette US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 38m
GENESIS Tonight Tonight Tonight / Paperlate 1987 VIRGIN RECORDS 12" VINYL SINGLE US $13.42 Buy It Now 4h 43m
Genesis 1983-1998 [Box] by Genesis (U.K. Band) CD, Nov-2007, 5 Discs SEALED US $69.99 [0 bids]
Genesis / Throwing It All Away / 1986 / Atlantic 7-89372 / with Picture Sleeve US $5.50 Buy It Now 4h 46m
Maikal X Genesis 2010 CD Reggae Music Album Brand New US $16.76 Buy It Now 4h 46m
Genesis-1987 magazine advert US $8.37 Buy It Now 4h 55m
Genesis by Genesis (U.K. Band) (CD, 1983, Atco (USA)) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Genesis Three Sides Live double vinyl record album US $3.99 [0 bids]
Phil Collins, Promo CD single "Everyday", 1993, very RARE, NM+, Genesis US $12.95 [0 bids]
Mike & The Mechanics Get Up Japan Sealed Promo CD Single withe OBI Genesis US $64.99 Buy It Now 5h 7m
STEVE HACKETT, Clocks 1st pressing A1 matrix EXC- PS UK 12 inch GENESIS US $7.99 [0 bids]
Genesis Live: The Way We Walk, Vol. 1 CD USED - VERY GOOD FREE SHIPPING US $3.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS WE CANT DANCE CD USED - VERY GOOD FREE SHIPPING US $3.99 [0 bids]
Genesis - Selling England By The Pound CD 1994 Definitive Ed Rmstr Peter Gabriel US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 12m
GENESIS - Illegal Alien - MAXI SINGLE 12/45 PORTUGAL US $18.99 [0 bids]
Genesis Foxtrot CD 1994 Definitive Ed Rmstr Peter Gabriel Phil Collins Fox Trot US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 17m
Turn It on Again: The Hits - Genesis (CD 1999) Near Mint CD 18 Tracks FREE Ship US $5.99 Buy It Now 5h 19m
Genesis, We Can't Dance Audio CD US $5.09 Buy It Now 5h 22m
MIKE RUTHERFORD GENESIS SOLO SMALL CREEP'S DAY 1980 LP STILL IN THE SHRINK WRAP US $7.49 Buy It Now 5h 22m
Genesis -- Nursery Cryme CD 1994 Definitive Ed Rmstr Peter Gabriel Steve Hackett US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 24m
GENESIS The LAMB Lies DOWN On BROADWAY 1974 - C/5 D/5 LP Stereo US $24.04 Buy It Now 5h 24m
Genesis-Invisible Touch UK 8 Track LP EX Cond US $13.41 Buy It Now 5h 26m
CD-Genesis-Rock Theatre~70's Heavy UK Prog~Psych US $13.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS - No Reply At All - SINGLE 7/45 PORTUGAL VERTIGO US $13.99 [0 bids]
Genesis Live - The Way We Walk - Volume 2 - The Longs - Sealed Long Box US $49.00 Buy It Now 5h 29m
GENESIS.... and then there were three 1978 U.K. Pressing LP. Vinyl = A1 cond! US $10.91 Buy It Now 5h 30m
Genesis A trick of the tail used vinyl records LP 1976 Phil Collins Atco US $9.99 [0 bids]
Earthrise The Rainforest Album CD Genesis Queen FREEP&P US $6.66 Buy It Now 5h 37m
We Can't Dance, Genesis, Good US $3.99 Buy It Now 5h 39m
Listen/Pablo Milanes/Arturo Sandoval/Elena Burke/Cuarteto Genesis/Areito US $28.00 Buy It Now 5h 39m
Genesis/Invisible Touch/Atlantic 7 81641-1-E/Vinyl LP/VG+++ US $7.00 Buy It Now 5h 44m
Genesis.Abacab/Atlantic SD 19313/Original LP Record/VG+++ US $8.00 Buy It Now 5h 44m
GENESIS THE WAY WE WALK COLLECTORS LIMITED BOX SET/ THE SHORTS & LONGS LIVE! US $24.95 [0 bids]
GENESIS THREE SIDES LIVE VG+ HEAR IT US $9.00 Buy It Now 6h 2m
GENESIS DUKE 1980 JAPAN CD 3200yen 32VD 1ST PRESS US $45.99 Buy It Now 6h 9m
GENESIS " LAND OF CONFUSION " 12" VINYL EX/EX 1986 US $10.05 Buy It Now 6h 10m
Rock 45 GENESIS Misunderstanding on Atlantic US $5.00 Buy It Now 6h 15m
GENESIS-SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD G00 US $31.99 Buy It Now 6h 20m
Calling All Stations by Genesis (CD, 1997, EMI Music Made in Venezuela) Rare! US $9.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS: Nursery Cryme LP (UK, 180 gram reissue) Rock & Pop US $35.00 Buy It Now 6h 21m
GENESIS: Trespass LP (UK, 180 gram reissue, gatefold cover) Rock US $35.00 Buy It Now 6h 22m
CHARISMA CDS 4001 GENESIS A Trick of The Tail EX+/EX+ A1/B3 1976 US $3.27 [0 bids]
Genesis- Wind & Wuthering - GENCDY7 US $20.69 Buy It Now 6h 36m
Lot of 24, 45rpm Picture Sleeves Only,J. Geils Band, Genesis, ZZ Top, more US $14.00 [0 bids]
GENESIS, From Genesis to Revelation + lyric inner [Decca] 1W matrix EXC- UK LP US $114.99 [0 bids]
Tony Banks -- A Curious Feeling 1979 album on CD Caroline Blue Plate // Genesis US $49.99 Buy It Now 6h 38m
Genesis Invisible Touch Interview Sealed LP Phil Collins US $22.49 Buy It Now 6h 40m
DON MCLEAN * CRYING & GENESIS IN THE BEGINNING * 45RPM US $4.75 Buy It Now 6h 40m
Genesis - Calling All Stations ( CD 1997 NEW ) US $13.41 Buy It Now 6h 41m
GENESIS "Selling England By The Pound" High Fidelity Blu-ray Pure Audio Disc NEW US $23.49 [7 bids]
PHIL COLLINS - Two Hearts - SINGLE 7/45 PORTUGAL GENESIS US $13.99 [0 bids]
DA OVASEEA: GENESIS OF A DIAMOND 2 CDs 2004 2 Productions Lojik Supreme Music US $24.95 Buy It Now 6h 45m
PHIL COLLINS - A Groovy Kind Of Love - SINGLE 7/45 PORTUGAL GENESIS US $13.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS / WIND & WUTHERING / 1976 LP BLUE LABELS US $8.37 Buy It Now 6h 52m
Genesis -- Nursery Cryme LP US $3.95 [0 bids]
TONY BANKS / A CURIOUS FEELING / 1979 LP WITH INNER SLEEVE A1/B1 GENESIS US $8.37 Buy It Now 6h 57m
GENESIS A Trick Of The Tail UK 1st CHARISMA INSERT LP US $30.20 Buy It Now 6h 59m
Genesis - Live NEW CD US $5.89 Buy It Now 7h
GENESIS - Invisible Touch - Vinyl LP - Atlantic AI 81641 US $5.99 Buy It Now 7h 3m
PETER GABRIEL, Solsbury Hill (Live) FLEXI-DISC UK 45 GENESIS US $14.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS, Land of Confusion MISPRESS NO LABEL UK 1st pressing A4 matrix PS 45 US $14.99 [0 bids]
MIKE & THE MECHANICS, Nobody's Perfect PROMO SPANISH PS 45 GENESIS US $14.99 [0 bids]
Genesis Paperlate/You Might Recall U.S. Picture Sleeve Only-No Record US $2.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy GENESIS music online Buy GENESIS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GENESIS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GENESIS Turn It On Again - The Hits ratings distribution

GENESIS Turn It On Again - The Hits reviews

Review by Marcelo
1 stars This album is the evidence. Yes, nothing is impossible. The most artistic and fanstastic musicians are able to make the worst cd. This is not progressive, is the most commercial and ugly pop. The rating bad is too good for it. It's signed by GENESIS, but if not, I'm sure that this cd never would deserve a place at any progressive site. The "pearls" "Mama" and "I Can't Dance" are included, wow!

Send comments to Marcelo (BETA) | Report this review (#10829) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 20, 2003

Review by Greger
4 stars I have always been a fan of GENESIS, especially the Peter GABRIEL-era. The first GENESIS album I heard were "A Trick Of The Tail" (1976), and the first I bought were "Trespass" (1970). Even if this was my favourite GENESIS period, I never stopped listening to them, and to this date I have bought all their 15 studio albums + the live albums. Although I think that their glorious days have passed I still think that they've always delivered quality albums. This collection of Hits shows just how good composers GENESIS are. 15 of the 18 tracks are played entirely by Tony Banks, Phil Collins & Mike Rutherford. Unfortunately there isn't much represented of the 70's in this Hits-collection. They recorded many classics back in the 70's, but they didn't produce any hits that are for sure. This compilation does however contain a re-recording of "The Carpet Crawlers" from "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" (1974). My favourite tracks are "Follow You, Follow Me", "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" and "The Carpet Crawlers 1999". GENESIS were one of the progressive pioneers in the 70's and without their contribution to the music history, many progressive bands today would've sounded totally different. This is the perfect starter for the explorers of 80's and 90's Genesis. "The Carpet Crawlers 1999" in itself makes this compilation worth buying. Highly recommended!

Send comments to Greger (BETA) | Report this review (#10830) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 27, 2004

Review by Prognut
2 stars I am personally a hard core Genesis fan, mostly Gabriel era. I think everybody agrees that after Hackett departure Genesis became one of the most succesfull Pop music Bands (duh!!!) I am not too exited about all their later work, although I respect what they have done, this particular compilation mainly is all Pop Genesis guided by Collins influence, they throw in there only 2 proggressive compositions. In all this album has nothing new and I only spent my money on it to have the new version of The Carpet Crawlers, which by itself I guess worth the sacrifice...You can always skip until the middle (Song 9) and the end (Song 18) anyway or better yet, burn on a CD the new version. I would never advised to download any Genesis material, because I srongly believe that if you are a fan..get it, and if not just do not bother...

Send comments to Prognut (BETA) | Report this review (#10831) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 26, 2004

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
1 stars Mister Collins and Co. always try to rub in the face of older fans they were commercially successful when Peter and Steve left, but at what cost?

They had to sacrifice quality, greatness, transcendence, in other words art, in order to get their hands on the big bucks.

But what pisses me more is that they throw us two candies (I Know What I Like and Carpet Crawlers 99) as if progressive fans were stupid to believe it's a return to their roots only because this two tracks. In other words they insist with the pop stuff but because they know new fans are not faithful enough to buy this sad compilation (most of them had forgotten the band after CAS), but they try to sell a few more albums to the older and only loyal fans using this two tracks as a fishing hook.

I won't even loose my time describing the 16 "hits" from the post Hackett era, because they are not even worth to worry about, so we have two tracks left.

The first one is "I Know What I Like (In your Wardrobe)", which never was among my favorite tracks, too commercial oriented for my taste, but it's too good to be surrounded by songs like "Invisible Touch" or "Throwing it all Away". Mr. Collins, please leave Gabriel songs where they belong!!!!

The second one is "Carpet Crawlers 99" which IMHO is the worst version of this correct song, has been to softened to fit in this album, not even Peter Gabriel saves this one. I believe the tracks from a conceptual album (like The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway) must never be taken out of their natural context where they make sense, in this case is just a soft and boring ballad.

If you don't have it, don't buy it. If you were tricked by the two tracks I mentioned, you can give a better use to the CD like a coaster or a small Frisbee.

As a sign of respect for the two tracks from the golden era won't give this album a 0 rating, but doesn't deserve more than one star.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#10839) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Review by Guillermo
2 stars I don`t have this album, as it is a collection of hits that I already have in L.P.s or in C.D.s of their original albums. The main interest in this album for the "old fans" is the "Carpet Crawlers 1999 re-recording", a new version of this song which I downloaded as this song was briefly available for downloading in GENESIS`s first official website in late 1999. So, my comment is particularly for this new version, which was produced by Trevor Horn. This version was recorded between 1995 and 1999, by Banks/Rutherford/Collins/Gabriel/Hackett, each one recording their parts at different times and in different studios. Hackett said in interviews (maybe as a joke) that "everybody almost telephoned their parts to the studio". There are rumours about Wilson being invited to sing a verse. The last verse of the song is not sung, as it seems that it was the verse which Wilson was going to sing (it is only a rumour, I think). But the first verse is sung by Gabriel, with Collins in backing vocals and other verse in sung by Collins with Gabriel in backing vocals. It is a good version, not as good as the original version. This is a "modern" version. The producer also employed some additional musicians, like one person who helped with the programming of some keyboards and maybe also of the drum machine. As a whole, this compilation is good mainly for Fans who want to have every GENESIS `s album , or for the Radio listener who only knows their hits.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#10841) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Review by Bj-1
2 stars This compilation consist only of Genesis biggest hits after Steve Hackett left the band. Mostly disasters, though there are some tracks I really like here too. But originally, this one obviously was designed only to cash in money at Genesis popularity and mostly purchased by people who only remembered Genesis for their 80's phase, and not their glorious 70's phase. It's not that I hate Genesis' 80's works, but this is a souless and sell-out attempt to make an compilation, imo. One good point for progheads here is the "Carpet Crawlers '99" re-recording cut at the end, but even that one isn't really a reason enough to buy this album.

2 stars because of some of the songs I really enjoy here, but otherwise, this one is only for 80's Genesis fans!

Send comments to Bj-1 (BETA) | Report this review (#10849) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 24, 2005

Review by Chicapah
3 stars No, I didn't buy this. I found it in my wife's convoluted mess of cassettes and figured that, since it's from one of my favorite bands ever, it deserves my opinionated review. My better half is not a progger by any stretch of the imagination but when it comes to Genesis she knows what she likes and she likes what she knows. In other words, she considers them a superb pop group that created a lot of popular songs and videos that she enjoyed during the 80s. And, with this compilation being called "The Hits," this is exactly what she thought she was purchasing. Good for her. For me, I tend to think of this as Genesis (with a few exceptions) after they became afflicted with the MTV virus.

Wisely they start things off briskly with "Turn It On Again" from the excellent "Duke" album. Almost every tune on that baby was a winner in my book and it launched this catchy song's prog time signature onto car radios all over the world. Next you are treated to the blatantly commercial "Invisible Touch" with its pointless lyrics and then the weird hysterics of the creepy "Mama" but both tracks rank miles above the annoying, noisy "Land of Confusion." It's so grating that it makes their mediocre novelty song "I Can't Dance" a relief to hear. "Follow You, Follow Me" always reminds me of the first time I put ".And Then There Were Three" on my turntable and sadly realized that the glory days of hearing mind-blowing epics from these guys might be coming to an end. (With the exception of "Duke" I was right, unfortunately.)

"Hold On My Heart" is a fine example of the sappy love ballads that became their bread and butter in their latter days and if this is your cup 'o tea then indulge yourself. "Abacab" still packs a punch, however, and this edited version still shows they had some pep in their step as late as 1981. For those poor souls who are amazed to find out that Peter Gabriel used to be their front man (don't laugh, there's a lot of Muggles out there clueless to this fact) you get the wonderful, whimsical "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" to provide a nostalgic oasis along the way. "Throwing It All Away" follows and a number of fans probably thought they were writing this about their legacy but it's just another slick ballad about a failed relationship.

"No Son of Mine" rocks pretty hard and lyrically it boldly takes on a touchy subject that actually has relevance. "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" might have sold a lot of beer but it has never slaked my thirst for some good ol' symphonic prog. It's just too 80s VH-1 sounding for me. What's next? Yep, it's another overwrought ballad coming at you as "In Too Deep" rolls through (boy, these guys had some real issues in their home lives, I guess). The rarely-heard "Congo" has their usual high production values but it also makes me glad I didn't shell out any lettuce for that final album. I like "Jesus He Knows Me" a lot because I admire any band that shines a glaring spotlight on the despicable hypocrisy of TV evangelists and this tune does a great job of it. "That's All" is just one of those songs that I have no strong opinion about. It just sorta lays there. (Hey, it could have been worse. They could have included the ridiculous "Illegal Alien.") When I said that "almost" every song on "Duke" was a winner, "Hot Fun in the Summertime" .oops, I mean "Misunderstanding" is the exception. Well, the riff is an absolute rip-off no matter how they may rationalize it. Sly Stone should get a partial writing credit.

If there is a single reason for any Genesis fan to own this album it's for the inclusion of "The Carpet Crawlers 1999." It provides a wistful "what if" moment if there ever was one. No, it's not an improvement over the original by any means but hearing the unmistakable voices of Peter and Phil together again with up-to-date studio techniques in play causes me to wonder just how fantastic a modern rendition of "Nursery Cryme" or even "Foxtrot" might sound. (Okay, call me a heretic!) Alas, this more than decent revised version is still good mainly because it's such a killer tune and it's probably as close as we'll ever come to a genuine reunion.

Why three stars? Well, it certainly isn't for the proggers who already have the original albums that made them legend and most of these songs are seriously deficient in progressive ideals, no doubt. But when taken in light of the schlock that was being slung about during the dismal MTV-plagued years that were the 80s these lads at least maintained a modicum of professionalism and integrity about themselves and it's my belief that they could have done much, much worse.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#131955) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 05, 2007

Review by Gatot
2 stars This compilation does not present a balanced setlist between two era of Genesis: Gabriel as lead singer and Phil Collins as lead singer. Most of the songs are taken from Phil Collins era. Even worse, the era after Steve Hackett left the band. Only two songs that involve Gabriel and Hackett, i.e. "I Know What I like" and "Carpet Crawlers". This CD compilation had been for such a long time at our local C store and I had never had any intention to purchase it until my colleague Genesis fan, Temy, told me that the last track "Carpet Crawler" was re-recorded with Peter Gabriel and Stephen Hackett. So, I did purchase the CD for this one single song! Well, I am really satisfied with this re-recording version of "Carpet Crawlers" because I have now the new version when all of the members were getting old already and the version is very different with the original version from the album "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway". This only last track that makes the purchase of this CD is worthwile - especially the CD was produced locally in my country.

But, I don't recommend newbie to start the journey of progressive music from Genesis from this compilation because it will give wrong impression about the band. They should start from "Selling England By The Pound".

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#157858) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 05, 2008

Review by J-Man
1 stars Yuck. Now, I hate late Genesis, and I realize that this is a complitation of hits, but this just awful. They threw a bunch of hits together for a mild late-Genesis fan, and as a result a progger like me is left in the dust. It's obvious that they tried to make this sort of even between the two eras of Genesis by including two Gabriel-era songs, but two of their more decent, shorter songs is nothing in comparison to 16 god- awful songs. TURN IT OFF AGAIN is my title for this because trust me, this stuff is never playing when I'm around.

Send comments to J-Man (BETA) | Report this review (#192883) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 13, 2008

Review by colorofmoney91
1 stars This is a compilation that spans Genesis' career as a singles pop act. This was the first album that I ever bought of Genesis' music hoping for a "best of" containing fantastic progressive rock, without knowing that they had been a singles act for quite some time. Needless to say, I was immediately upset with the music on this collection. Uninspired pop tunes galore.

I did, however, re-wrap this CD and send it to my mother, knowing that she loves '80s pop. She loved it, so my money didn't go to waste entirely. A very bad introduction to Genesis indeed. Definitely stay away from this unless you want the band's poppy tunes.

Send comments to colorofmoney91 (BETA) | Report this review (#429408) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 08, 2011

3 stars This was the first Genesis album I attained, and I must say, I like it. Though it does disappoint me to find that Peter Gabriel was only featured on two songs, "I Know What I Like" and "The Carpet Crawlers 1999," I really don't blame Genesis for this decision. The album is greatly run on pop so ... (read more)

Report this review (#253139) | Posted by Calculate900 | Friday, November 27, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I'm a fan of all things Genesis. That includes the Peter Gabriel Era, The Tony Banks Era, and the Phil Collins Era. I don't understand the hate for this album. It's title contains the words "The Hits". That means no Supper's Ready, No Musical Box because they were not hits. Favorites, so ... (read more)

Report this review (#242051) | Posted by tdfloyd | Tuesday, September 29, 2009 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Early Genesis is some of the best Symphonic Prog that is out there, but late Genesis leaves something to be desired. After Hackett and Gabriel quit Collins made them sound more like a dance/pop band as evidenced in "Tonight, Tonight". One of the only good things on this album is "I Know What Y ... (read more)

Report this review (#242048) | Posted by The Block | Tuesday, September 29, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This compilation may not be every Genesis fans dream come true, but for me this album is basically my childhood on a disc. Of the two Genesis eras, I have to admit I'm a Phil Collins fan, and rather enjoy their more commercial material. On display here is pretty much all their biggest hits from ... (read more)

Report this review (#187416) | Posted by Valarius | Thursday, October 30, 2008 | Review Permanlink

1 stars It is with a heavy heart that I admit... this is the only Genesis album I know. I will get round to buying 'Selling England...' et al. but this collection is abbysmal. Only four songs capture my attention. 'I Know What I Like...' for its charming English eccentricity (Which a charming English ec ... (read more)

Report this review (#165082) | Posted by burtonrulez | Wednesday, March 26, 2008 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Having been fortunate enough to see the Collins led Genesis 6 times before they turned commercial, My only regret of course was having missed the Peter Gabriel led version. At the time, I was in my early teens and the closest they came to New York was the Capitol Theatre in NJ. And I conside ... (read more)

Report this review (#160778) | Posted by drziltox | Monday, February 04, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Carpet Crawlers 99' is simply great. Peter Gabriel sounds as good as ever and the whole band is back at least for this one track. I find the remixing tasteful and successful in creating a single feel with Carpet Crawlers. The added gloss and percussion/synth works very well. A must have. If you ca ... (read more)

Report this review (#127313) | Posted by mcgoverntj | Monday, July 02, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Post Hackett Genesis seemed to hit on a winning pop formula. Perhaps they were just a right band at the right time but its now quite difficult to work out why they became so successful. Like most pop this music cannot be separated from its period. Almost all of these singles are throw away but ... (read more)

Report this review (#95094) | Posted by burgersoft777 | Thursday, October 19, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars This compilation offers the hits - that is the most commercial songs - of Genesis. If this compilation was meant to attract new listeners, I think it failed. Most of the songs are from the Genesis pop-rock era. Hardly essential songs to attract people to listen; it's enough to have listened ... (read more)

Report this review (#87642) | Posted by Cristi | Saturday, August 19, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I think this album is very good. It has exactly what the title says it has, the hits. For those wanting the Peter Gabriel stuff, don't look here. The Peter Gabriel era of Genesis never produced any singles. The had there first hit single in 1978 as far as radio is concerned. I would howev ... (read more)

Report this review (#69424) | Posted by | Wednesday, February 15, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Another compilation, this time of the greatest hits of Genesis. Why does all those classic bands from the 70s realease one compilation every year nowadays? It isn't just the prog bands. Anyway, this compilation is more for the fans of the pop-era Genesis. Nothing for the prog-fan except of I k ... (read more)

Report this review (#42690) | Posted by Frasse | Saturday, August 13, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Well it does what it says it does: it gives you the hits. If you're a Peter Gabriel era fan, you aren't looking for hits as such, because there's only one (included here, I Know What I Like). For people curious regarding the FM radio powerhouses the band produced in the 80s, this would be a ... (read more)

Report this review (#10852) | Posted by Rob The Good | Wednesday, April 20, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I give this rating based on the criterion of the necessity of this album being in any progressive rock fans collection. Here are my disclaimers: I am a big Gabriel-era Genesis fan, although I enjoy the Collins years (albeit in decending order) and have always loved Phil's drumming. I am a ... (read more)

Report this review (#10848) | Posted by | Wednesday, February 09, 2005 | Review Permanlink

1 stars As a greatest hits CD of the poppier Genesis, this gives a good overview and shows that the band did produce good pop music throughout the eighties. It is a good way to collect great pop/rock songs like Land of confusion and Jesus He knows me. As such, a 3.5 star rating would be in its place, but ... (read more)

Report this review (#10846) | Posted by | Thursday, January 13, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is a compilation of singles so why do people go on ranting about what it isn't? Some people just want to rant on an on about some Genesis they had in their minds. A Genesis that they thought belonged to them, a Genesis that they thought they controlled with their progessibe rock strings an ... (read more)

Report this review (#10840) | Posted by | Thursday, August 26, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of GENESIS "Turn It On Again - The Hits"