HOUSE OF CARDS

Studio Album, released in 2001

1. God Knows (5:29)
2. The Runaway (5:35)
3. Always There (3:52)
3. Ashes To Ashes (Chapter 11) (5:05)
4. Once In A Lifetime (4:21)
5. Only Human (4:20)
6. That's How We Like It (4:49)
7. Watching The Clock (Instrumental) (1:39)
8. We'll Meet Again (Chapter 15) (5:58)
9. Money Talks (4:07)
10. House Of Cards (4:20)

Search SAGA House Of Cards lyrics

Search SAGA House Of Cards tabs

- Michael Sadler / lead vocals, keyboards
- Jim Critchon / bass, keyboards
- Ian Critchon / guitars, background vocals
- Jim Gilmour / keyboards, vocals
- Steve Negus / drums, percussion

CD Steamhammer SPV 085-72162 (2001 Germany)

and to Rivertree for the last updates

SAGA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SAGA House Of Cards Music

House of CardsHouse of Cards
Limited Edition
Made in Germany Musi 2014
Vinyl$13.99
Full Circle/House of CardsFull Circle/House of Cards
Imports 2008
House of Cards by Saga (CD, Feb-2001, SPV) Hard Rock, Rock & Pop USD $3.99 [0 bids]
USD $5.26 Buy It Now
Saga House of Cards Japan CD USD $24.99 Buy It Now 13 days
Saga-House of Cards CD NEW USD $9.65 Buy It Now 13 days
SAGA - HOUSE OF CARDS [SAGA] - NEW CD USD $10.99 Buy It Now 14 days
Saga - House Of Cards Asia CD Pop Rock USD $15.79 Buy It Now 14 days
Saga - House Of Cards (2001) CD Limited Edition NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST USD $13.70 Buy It Now 14 days
House Of Cards - Saga (2014, Vinyl New) USD $19.48 Buy It Now 15 days
Saga - House Of Cards [Vinyl New] USD $22.15 Buy It Now 15 days
Saga - House Of Cards [CD New] USD $12.59 Buy It Now 18 days
SAGA**HOUSE OF CARDS**CD USD $11.01 Buy It Now 18 days
SAGA "House of Cards" 180g Vinyl LP Record 2011 NEW SEALED Steamhammer SPV 72161 USD $33.50 Buy It Now 19 days
SAGA**HOUSE OF CARDS**VINYL USD $19.95 Buy It Now 21 days
Saga- House Of Cards USD $9.77 Buy It Now 23 days
SAGA - HOUSE OF CARDS (LTD) NEW VINYL USD $25.33 Buy It Now 24 days
House of Cards - Saga New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping USD $18.84 Buy It Now 25 days
Saga - House Of Cards Hardback CD 2001 NEW SEALED USD $6.24 Buy It Now 26 days
SAGA - HOUSE OF CARDS (IMPORT) NEW CD USD $15.48 Buy It Now 26 days
House of Cards - Saga New & Sealed LP Free Shipping USD $22.28 Buy It Now 26 days
SAGA - HOUSE OF CARDS CD 2001 SPV 085-72162 CD IMPORT USD $14.99 Buy It Now 29 days
LP saga ~ USD $22.21
CD saga ~ USD $16.12
LP saga ~ USD $22.21

More places to buy SAGA music online Buy SAGA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SAGA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SAGA House Of Cards ratings distribution

SAGA House Of Cards reviews

Review by Marc Baum
5 stars This album earns without doubt five stars! "Full Circle" was a great record too, but "House Of Cards" got a bigger production and the more transparent songwriting. I hadn't change any note on this record, all is perfect in my oppinion and hit follows hit. This album isn't as symphonic as "Full Circle" and it souns like it was made for a bigger audience, but it's still progressive. For new listeners "House Of Cards" is the nearly perfect beginning. Here are some play-on tips: The brilliant earworms "Always There", "Only Human", "We'll Meet Again" and "Money Talks" with it's tramendous great hooks (!), the very atmospheric sounding "Ashes to Ashes (Chapter 11)", the typical Saga track "God Knows" or the anthemic "That's How We Like It" (ups, that was close the whole album!). There isn't any low point to call at all, every song is on the same high level, so I recommend to listen the whole album. The guitar work is worldclass, Michael Sadler is in top-notch form, the keys are brilliantly intigrated into the band sound. A perfect record by a worldclass act!

Send comments to Marc Baum (BETA) | Report this review (#17580) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 21, 2005

Review by NJprogfan
3 stars Having been a fan of this band since their heyday in the early 80's, I remember their video for "On The Loose" which prompt me to purchase the "World's Apart" album. Since then, I believe with the exception of "Generation 13", Saga hasn't progressed much. And it's certainly true with this album. The album starts out with "God Knows" and some background talking ala "Generation 13". The song is typical Saga with keyboards mainly coloring the song with Crighton's guitar and Sadler's voice the main showcase, but that's what you usually get with Saga, so I'm not griping, it's just a fact. There's not many bands doing this type of Popprog as well as they do it, (IZZ, the possible exception). "The Runawway", "Ashes To Ashes", "We'll Meet Again" harken back to their early days and a song like "That's How We Like It!" sounds like a 90's Rush throwaway. Some songs are pretty ("Only Human" and the instrumental "Watching The Clock") and others have the Saga stamp of pomp ("Money Talks" and the title track). I have the Canadian edition which sports a bonus track called "So Good So Far" a typical pomp/art rock track. I've always categorized Saga as a band that make accessible art/pomp/prog rock for the masses. Doesn't hurt and can be fun, but if you're looking for complexity, look eleswhere. A solid three-star affair, this one.

Send comments to NJprogfan (BETA) | Report this review (#37769) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 27, 2005

Review by progrules
3 stars Saga's first album of the new millenium didn't really cause a shock or led to a totally new sound. In fact it's Full Circle II to me and I even could copy my previous review on this release just as well. I will not do so because it's against my ethics but it's hard to write a review if there's not much significant to say.

Saga probably decided to play safe for a while after their highly interesting and almost sensational Generation 13 from 1995. It would have been brilliant if they had managed to proceed in this style but maybe it's not really fair to expect this after such a unique "once in a lifetime" album. So I will forgive them for that. But instead we got this underwhelming trio in the period 1999-2003 and it's almost the other extremity I'm sorry to say.

If I'm at my most harsh and negative I could state that I have to make an effort not to fall asleep with this triptych of mentioned period. The albums aren't as poor as Wildest Dreams (1987 when the band almost fell apart) or the artificial Steel Umbrellas (1994) but they are far from their career highlights in my humble opinion. Again three stars.

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#158880) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 18, 2008

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars That's how we like it!

When considering albums like 1999's Full Circle, the present one from 2001 and 2003's Marathon, that all hark back to the band's earliest days in terms of both style and quality, it is easy to forget what Saga did in between. Don't get me wrong, some of the band's best albums are from this in-between-period including the excellent The Security Of Illusion and the conceptual masterpiece Generation 13. But their discography had up till this point been a very "bumpy ride" with many ups and downs. From Full Circle onwards, however, Saga entered a state of unprecedented stability and managed to release a long series of good albums in the new millennium.

Like the appropriately titled Full Circle, House Of Cards also features the paradigmatic insect on the sleeve and it too features "chapters". For those of you that might not remember, Saga's first four albums in the late 70's and early 80's all included songs that were subtitled 'Chapter #'. After eight chapters spread over these four original albums, the gimmick was abandoned. After nearly 20 years, the idea was resurrected. The present album features two further chapters (the 11th and the 15th). With yet further chapters on the next album, we would eventually be treated with a further eight chapters in total over the course of these three albums and in 2005 a live album was released featuring all 16 chapters (old and new) in their numerical order.

Compared to Full Circle, House Of Cards is perhaps slightly more similar to the famed Worlds Apart and Heads Or Tales albums. This means a slightly more streamlined and pristinely produced sound and strongly melodic tunes and also some occasional cheesy lyrics! In many ways House Of Cards is a paradigmatic Saga album - it simply cannot be more Saga than this! If a reference to another band must be made, I would choose John Payne-era Asia, especially good Asia albums like Aria and Arena. But Saga is more progressive.

In conclusion, House Of Cards is a very worthy follow-up to Full Circle and a pretty solid album in its own right. Recommended!

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#241000) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Review by snobb
4 stars After the previous album which was significant return to form for that Canadian band, this one is really very good. In fact, I think it's one of the best their albums of all time.

All the songs have melodies, sound are clear and very professional, music is a bit more rock, but with strong pop-melodism. Yes, it is the same Saga and the same music style you are waiting for ( at least -in their best albums), no surprises. But everything is done at the highest level.

If you want to have just one Saga album ( and don't like compilations), this one is for you. The album is good as entrance to Saga music for newcomers as well. High quality prog pop-rock.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#244297) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 12, 2009

Review by b_olariu
3 stars House of cards issued in 2001 is anatural follow up of the excellent Full circle. Same attitude as on previous album and aswell same as the next one Marathon, that means good all the way. Saga offers that typical progressive rock with some neo elements thrown in and some AOR passages, a distinctive sound since the beggining. House of cards is a good album for sure, I like this band a lot, own almost everything they released across the years. melodic music , not comercial but pleasent enough for most of the prog heads. Sadlers voice is excellent, and the musical arrangements aswell, like on opening track God knows and on The runaways. The beautiful short instrumental track named Watching the clock is another highlight for me, showing the fragile and melacholic side of Saga, some great piano moments here. All in all a good towards great album, in Saga manner, a sound that we are used since 1978. 3.5 stars.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#965632) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
3 stars It is hard to believe that it is more than a year since I saw Saga at the LA2 promoting their last album 'Full Circle' yet here they are back again with a new album which is out in the UK on February 5th. Saga are one of the few prog/AOR bands around that have an instantly identifiable sound, with the distinctive vocals of Michael Sadler mixing and melding with the keyboard-driven rock. On songs like "The Runaway" I can close my eyes and picture myself back in my bedroom as a teenager listening to their second album 'Images At Twilight', the music doesn't seem to have changed much at all. Yes, they bring in new influences, so that they do not sound as if they are trying all of the time to play the same song all of the time, but this is Saga, and they don't follow the fickles of fashion but go their own way. They use acoustic guitars at times, and not all of the songs are upbeat rockers but it is on these that Saga excels. A worthy follow-up to their last album.

Originally appeared in Feedback #61, Feb 01

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#968447) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 01, 2013

3 stars Saga is a band I've met recently, but that has captivated me with some of his early work. There is not too progressive attitudes in most of his works really. But his first albums released in the dark period of progressive rock, are some of the best that occurred at the time. And today are also ... (read more)

Report this review (#941563) | Posted by sinslice | Tuesday, April 09, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars After hearing Saga's return to form CD,"Full Circle" & loved it,I thought the next one would be as good or a little better,but I was wrong ,this is a lot better,better hooks ,better production ,better feel.They have deftly created their best work since "World's Apart".The mix of prog & tastefu ... (read more)

Report this review (#51282) | Posted by nordwind | Tuesday, October 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I think this is a very good album, but definitively not the best. No doubt 'The Runnaway' is the higher point of the album and also one of the best songs of the band. The weakest point of the album in my opinion is 'Ashes to ashes' a little depressive for me. The pop songs 'Always there', 'Onc ... (read more)

Report this review (#17581) | Posted by porcupine_boy | Wednesday, December 22, 2004 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Over recent years, albums from Canadian prog/pomp mega-stars Saga have been a mixed bag: some were absolutely awesome; some were, well, absolutely not. There's nothing shaky, however, about their new "House Of Cards," a tight, focused return to their classic, early '80s form. Their mastery of mo ... (read more)

Report this review (#17579) | Posted by | Thursday, July 08, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SAGA "House Of Cards"