GHOST

The Watch Ghost album cover

Buy THE WATCH Music
Studio Album, released in 2001

1. DNAlien (8:36)
2. The Ghost and the Teenager (8:38)
3. Heroes (9:27)
4. Moving Red (6:34)
5. Riding the Elephant (3:38)
6. ...and the Winner is... (10:11)

Search THE WATCH Ghost lyrics

Search THE WATCH Ghost tabs

- Simone Rossetti / vocal, flute
- Ettore Salati / guitars
- Marco Schembri / bass
- Gabriele Manzini / keyboards
- Roberto Leoni / drums

Lizard

THE WATCH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WATCH Ghost Music

TimelessTimeless
Imports 2011
TAYLOR SWIFT House Watch Hill RI Harkness Mansion Ocean House TAYLOR SWIFT Photo US $5.99 Buy It Now 34m 2s
Holly Near(Vinyl LP)Watch Out-Redwood-RR406-USA-Ex/VG+ US $13.25 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Run the Earth Watch the Sky by Chris Rice Format: Audio CD US $12.53 Buy It Now 1h 57m
KEVIN CLAY factory sealed cd WATCH ME FALL US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 10m
TOM LaVELLE - "L.A. WOMAN" - WILD PUMPING PIANO VERSION - WATCH VIDEO US $9.93 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Watch Them Die - Bastard Son (2005) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 2h 22m
KRIS KRISTOFFERSON - WATCH CLOSELY NOW 7" VINYL PROMO US $9.93 Buy It Now 2h 56m
The Band Of The Black Watch(7"Vinyl)Scotch On The Rocks -VG/Ex US $4.96 Buy It Now 2h 57m
David Gates(7"Vinyl)Watch Out / Never Let Her Go-VG/Ex US $4.96 Buy It Now 2h 57m
The Band Of Black Watch(7" Vinyl)Scotch On The Rocks / Let's Go Jersey-VG/VG US $4.13 Buy It Now 2h 57m
GERSHWIN, GEORGE - WATCH WHAT HAPPENS: THE JAZZ ALBUM - NEW CD US $10.12 Buy It Now 3h 5m
LABI SIFFRE - WATCH ME 7" VINYL US $7.45 Buy It Now 3h 11m
UGLYINK (UGLY DRUMS/INKSWEL) - Watch Out! - clear vinyl 10" US $17.56 Buy It Now 3h 14m
RAY AGEE: Tough Competition / I Can't Work And Watch You (soul vinyl 45) US $18.00 Buy It Now 3h 18m
LENA HORNE & GABOR SZABO - WATCH WHAT HAPPENS 7" VINYL US $7.45 Buy It Now 3h 20m
BLACK WATCH scottish splendour JAPAN LP OBI SLA6380 Bagpipe US $17.99 Buy It Now 3h 26m
Living Death - Watch Out! 1985 German Metal vinyl record US $20.00 Buy It Now 3h 28m
REV. B.W. SMITH - WATCH THEM DOGS/ROOTS - NEW CD US $9.30 Buy It Now 3h 51m
78 RPM RECORD/4A) STERLING TRIO/ WATCH, HOPE AND WAIT, US $2.99 [0 bids]
Raunchy(CD Single Promo)Watch Out/I Get What I See-Nuclear Blast-NB 1242-2-Germa US $28.18 Buy It Now 3h 55m
Watch Tower Singing & Accompanying Yourselves 1966 Release Rare Set of 10 LP's US $30.00 Buy It Now 4h 6m
Ferry Corsten , Audio CD, Watch Out US $7.09 Buy It Now 4h 8m
Boyle, Susan - Someone To Watch Over Me NEW CD US $7.96 Buy It Now 4h 9m
AIR Kelly Watch The Stars 1998 UK 4 TRACK CD SINGLE FREE UK POSTAGE US $4.96 Buy It Now 4h 22m
SWINGIN' swinging MOOKS CD WATCH THIS Beer/Dee/Horton/Fessenden/Lemonjello US $5.79 Buy It Now 4h 24m
Mlb Project - Watch It - Mo Bizz - 1999 #260380 US $4.96 Buy It Now 4h 24m
Will Saul - Digital Watch - Simple - 2004 #145779 US $4.96 Buy It Now 4h 25m
LOU RAWLS Let Me Show You How b/w Watch Your Back STOCK M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 25m
7th Sign(CD Album)Whole E.P-Watch It-7 SN 1-UK US $15.74 Buy It Now 4h 38m
Stretch Silvester - Watch Me Shine - Spot On #6868 US $4.96 Buy It Now 4h 39m
1967 The 4 Seasons Watch The Flowers Grow / Raven Philips 40490 45 rpm NM- Vinyl US $3.60 Buy It Now 4h 40m
The Humble Souls - Watch My Garden Grow - 1992 #132851 US $4.96 Buy It Now 4h 40m
1974 Frankie Valli My Eyes Adored You / Watch Where You Walk 45 rpm NM Vinyl US $3.00 Buy It Now 4h 46m
Air Kelly Watch The Stars CD single french band pop daft punk US $3.99 Buy It Now 4h 46m
Saafir - Watch How Daddy Ball - Qwest - 1999 #326602 US $4.96 Buy It Now 4h 54m
O.C.M - Watch How You Slang - Qwest - 1994 #145001 US $4.96 Buy It Now 4h 54m
Ego Trippin - Watch It/Rockin It - Juice - 2000 #46531 US $4.96 Buy It Now 4h 54m
LABI SIFFRE 7"Single -Watch Me/Here We Are (EX+) US $8.28 Buy It Now 5h
1978 Eric Clapton Promises / Watch Out For Lucy RSO RS-910 45 rpm VG+ Vinyl US $2.40 Buy It Now 5h 3m
Patrice Rushen 45 Watch Out / Over The Bridge US $2.00 Buy It Now 5h 14m
THE SUN TONES Watch What Happens SUNRISE NM! US $9.35 Buy It Now 5h 23m
ERIC CLAPTON & HIS BAND Rock RSO DJ 45rpm Watch Out For Lucy LISTEN US $10.00 Buy It Now 5h 30m
LULA REED BLUE AND MOODY Watch Dog I'll Drown In My Tears NEW Hi-Fi LP SEALED US $24.99 Buy It Now 5h 30m
FRANK SINATRA - Someone To Watch Over Me - 1968 UK 10-track stereo LP US $13.25 Buy It Now 5h 43m
Scotch On The Rocks, The Band Of The Black Watch US $5.99 [0 bids]
N.O.T.S. Click OC - Watch Ya Step - 12" Single Vinyl - DITC Prod by Lord Finesse US $7.99 [0 bids]
6h
Kanye West Jay Z Bumper sticker, "HAM" Watch the throne yeezus, hard as a mother US $3.32 Buy It Now 6h 3m
COMMANDER CODY & HIS LOST AIRMEN * WATCH MY 38 & SEMI-TRUCK * 45RPM US $11.00 Buy It Now 6h 17m
WOODSTOCK ORIGINAL 1970 3 RECORD / LP SET COTILLION (EX) *WATCH VIDEO SAMPLE* US $20.00 Buy It Now 6h 18m
Baja MArimba Band 'Watch Out!' Reel To Reel US $4.95 Buy It Now 6h 21m
Faye Wong 1998 Techno Faye [CD + Watch] New Sealed ?? US $29.39 Buy It Now 6h 23m
Shells Watch Produced By Cocoa Chanelle 12" NM Vinyl Play Tested US $21.00 Buy It Now 6h 24m
JAY-Z/KANYE WEST**WATCH THE THRONE (CLEAN VERSION)**CD US $13.95 Buy It Now 6h 31m
THE 4 SEASONS "Watch The Flowers Grow" VG, Excellent PHILIPS-40490 US $2.33 [0 bids]
BAND OF THE BLACK WATCH " SCOTCH ON THE ROCKS / LET'S GO TO JERSEY " SPARK 45 US $0.83 [0 bids]
JAY Z/KANYE WEST - Watch The Throne - 2xLP US $196.93 Buy It Now 6h 47m
Mercury 10" 78/Rusty Draper/I Got A Hole In My Sole/Watch Your Language/VG+/E!!! US $5.00 Buy It Now 6h 54m
RENEE OLSTEAD A Love That Will Last Taiwan Promo CD Someone to Watch Over Me US $47.99 Buy It Now 6h 56m
Disco Sealed! TRAX Watch Out! PD1-6117 ORIG EB164 US $16.99 Buy It Now 7h 2m
Someone to Watch Over Me US $16.29 Buy It Now 7h 2m
The Accents - Tell Me / Better Watch Out Boy 45 rpm - Challenge VG+ US $3.99 [0 bids]
NORTHERN SOUL FUNK PROFESSOR LONGHAIR Big Chief/Pt 2 WATCH 1900 New Orleans US $34.99 Buy It Now 7h 12m
L.A. 4 - Watch What Happens - Import CD US $10.52 [4 bids]
Susannah Mccorkle - Someone To Watch Over Me [CD New] US $9.04 Buy It Now 7h 19m
Dorris Henderson With John Renbourn - Watch The Stars [CD New] US $19.55 Buy It Now 7h 22m
CHARLENE GORDON Heart Weary & Blue / Gold Watch & Chain JEWEL 8226 US $20.00 Buy It Now 7h 28m
The Stamps Quartet: Father, Watch Over Thy Child / I Will Not Be A 45 - Gospel US $5.00 Buy It Now 7h 30m
HOLIDAYS No Soul 45rpm Watch Out Girl b/w No Greater Love LISTEN US $15.00 Buy It Now 7h 31m
MUSIC TO WATCH GIRLS GO BY -VAR (2CD) FAITH MARTINO WILLIAMS PETULA BENTON GRECO US $11.99 Buy It Now 7h 36m
MIDGE URE - BREATHE - VERY RARE 3-TRK PROMO WATCH SHAPED CD SINGLE SWATCH CLUB US $1.64 [1 bids]
THE BAND OF THE BLAC - SANDS OF TIME [THE BAND OF THE BLACK WATCH] [CD] - NEW CD US $9.29 Buy It Now 7h 42m
DOO WOP- THE TURBANS- "I'LL WATCH OVER YOU"/ "SISTER SOOKY"- HERALD 469 US $2.99 [0 bids]
WATCH TOWER - LOGO Embroidered PATCH WATCHTOWER FATES WARNING SANCTUARY US $5.99 Buy It Now 7h 51m
SUSAN BOYLE YOU HAVE TO BE THERE HONG KONG PROMO CD SINGLE SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER US $20.00 Buy It Now 7h 54m
God Forbid Sampler Promo CD My Ruin Into Eternity Watch Them Die Stampin' Ground US $12.99 Buy It Now 7h 55m
BLACK ANGELS: Watch Out Boy / I'd Rather Be Lonely 45 (PS, orange vinyl, w/ dow US $8.00 Buy It Now 8h 8m
MICHAEL FENNELLY, FLORENCE WARNER / DAVID BROMBE: Watch Yerself, Love Has No Pr US $20.00 Buy It Now 8h 15m
TRAX watch out for the boogie man JAPAN 7" MA-102-SA US $8.09 Buy It Now 8h 15m
Creo-D 12" Single Watch Out Now Street Life Promo 72392780041 US $2.30 Buy It Now 8h 22m
Watch Me by Lorrie Morgan (CD, Oct-1992, BNA) US $0.99 [0 bids]
SHEENA EASTON No Strings 1993 CD Someone to Watch Over Me-Body and Soul US $9.99 Buy It Now 8h 27m
BAND OF THE BLACK WATCH - Marching With Cuckoos - Ex Con 7" Spark SRL 1135 US $6.60 Buy It Now 8h 40m
Little Bo Peep and Watch Out! Be Careful! 1948 Voco Record 78 rpm Childern's US $12.95 Buy It Now 8h 43m
EAT AT JOE'S - Watch out brother! - 1980 US 7" US $11.59 Buy It Now 8h 47m
TED HAWKINS - WATCH YOUR STEP NEW CD US $21.57 Buy It Now 8h 48m
DORRIS HENDERSON / JOHN RENBOURN - WATCH THE STARS (REISSUE) NEW CD US $24.63 Buy It Now 8h 48m
2 LP Lot Baja Mariachi Band "Watch Out & Self Titled" n Mint US $13.99 Buy It Now 8h 57m
Pauline Henry - Watch The Miracle Start - Sony #33467 US $4.96 Buy It Now 8h 59m
SMOUCHE:WATCH OUT/VERSION:EX+ US $23.20 Buy It Now 9h 8m
BLASTER BATES - Watch out for The Bits - 1971 Vinyl LP US $8.29 Buy It Now 9h 15m
JOHN W BUBBLES 45rpm Vee Jay 624 Bubbles Blues/Someone to Watch Over Me LISTEN US $5.99 Buy It Now 9h 19m
Watch Out for the Bits - Bates Blaster New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $24.04 Buy It Now 9h 33m
ALEXISONFIRE WATCH OUT CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P! US $149.23 Buy It Now 9h 33m
Rising Sun - Better Watch Out - Mac Ii - 2000 #50864 US $6.62 Buy It Now 9h 42m
Jules Shear Watch Dog vinyl LP 1983 SEALED US $12.00 Buy It Now 9h 46m
"BI-AZA-KU-SASA" B/W "WATCH YOU MEAN" / THE MOGAMBO'S / 45 RPM / RARE US $3.00 [0 bids]
John W. Bubbles 45 Bubbles Blues / Someone To Watch Over Me pop.~ VJ M- toVG++ US $2.62 Buy It Now 9h 54m
Betty Wright 45 HE'S BAD BAD BAD / WATCH OUT LOVE ~ VG+ to VG++ US $4.09 Buy It Now 9h 54m
REGIMENTAL BAND OF THE BLACK WATCH Scottish Splendor LP VG++ US 1957 mono RCA US $19.98 Buy It Now 10h 14m
NFL , JETS mans wrist watch US $5.00 [0 bids]

More places to buy THE WATCH music online Buy THE WATCH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WATCH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WATCH Ghost ratings distribution

THE WATCH Ghost reviews

Review by The Owl
4 stars OK, it's not totally original but man, I tell you what, this is SILL one very fun and engaging listen, great arrangements, sounds, production and songs! Way more teeth and guts than ANY neo-prog band by a long shot. Perfect music for driving through a snow-blanketed countryside (this is how I actually experienced it)!

The best Genesis album that Genesis NEVER made!

Send comments to The Owl (BETA) | Report this review (#22186) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 26, 2004

Review by Greger
4 stars Now and then a new artist or band takes you by surprise. I was totally astounded by the Italian band The WATCH's debut album "Ghost". Actually I don't know whether The WATCH is a new band or not, because the vocalist Simone Rossetti were singing in a band called The NIGHT WATCH before, but he's the only connection between the two bands.

I was expecting an album with reminiscences to KING CRIMSON, but I immediately found out that the music is very similar to Peter GAGRIEL-era GENESIS with lots of magnificent bombastic Mellotron. You can't help thinking about GENESIS albums such as "Trespass" (1970), "Nursery Cryme" (1971), "Foxtrot" (1972), "Selling England By The Pound" (1973) and songs such as "Firth Of Fifth", "Musical Box" and "Watcher Of The Skies" when hearing The WATCH. The similarity doesn't only lie in the music, because Simone Rossetti's voice is very close to Peter GABRIEL. GENESIS is actually the only band I come to think about, but perhaps there are some reminiscences to CATHEDRAL, KING CRIMSON, MARILLION, SPOCK'S BEARD and ÄNGLAGARD too.

Although the very obvious GENESIS references they're far from GENESIS clones because of the magnificent compositions that they're delivering. Now I have to try to get hold of a proper copy of this album, because my CDR advance copy has some dropouts on the last track. Italy has always been one of the leading lands of Progressive Rock, and now they can add another classic to the list. This might be the best album of the year 2001. Highly recommended!

Send comments to Greger (BETA) | Report this review (#22187) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 16, 2004

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars Genesis clone or clown? Maybe both. Well this not that bad if you don't mind impersonators but purpose-less IMHO. I saw them live as still the Nightwatch and they came across the public (not just me but almost everybody bar a few over-enthusiasts who would like to remain blind) as Genesis wanabees. Apart from those considerations , they do a good job at what they do , but I sense not much personality and this is enough for me to give it a negative review.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#22188) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 26, 2004

Review by Marcelo
4 stars OK, it's a GENESIS-Gabriel era clone, but... what a fine clone! Not too much to say about "Ghost", just one thing: this is the album that GENESIS didn't do between "Selling England" and "The Lamb".

Instrumentation, atmospheres, melodies... everything sounds as the real GENESIS and, of course, Simone Rosetti sings as Peter Gabriel. But -honestly- I prefer by far a good clone more than an original boring or chill band.

If you love GENESIS '70-'75 albums (as almost everybody in the prog world), you'll love this one. Even if you have some prejudices against clones, try to forget them and listen to "Ghost": You'll enjoy it.

Send comments to Marcelo (BETA) | Report this review (#22192) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 17, 2004

Review by chessman
3 stars Having purchased, and enjoyed, The Nightwatch's excellent album, 'Twilight' (see my review of that album separately) I took the plunge and bought this one. Of course, this is, apart from Simone Rossetti, a different band, but they still sound close to The Nightwatch. However, the album itself is, for me, a bit of a disappointment. On 'Twilight', Simone's vocals are very good, and the Italian accent is kept to a minimum. On this recording, his voice seems to have regressed, and the Italian accent is much stronger. Also, he doesn't suite trying to sing in a humorous or sarcastic way very well. On top of this, the nice sense of melody on 'Twilight' is missing on here. One song in particular comes to mind, track 6, 'Moving Red', which meanders aimlessly really. My least favourite track on the album. Nevertheless, there are some good moments too. Tracks 3, 5 & 6 are all very good, track 5, 'Riding The Elephant' being the least like Genesis, and yet one of the best, quite romantic in the keyboard department. In fact, the keyboards dominate this group, and I like the playing of Gabriele Manzini very much. '...And The Winner Is...' has a definite Genesis feel about it, especially in the guitar department, sounding like something off Nursery Cryme or Foxtrot. Overall though, I think my favourite has to be 'Heroes', which has an excellent melody, good singing, and the typical Genesis sound to it. Tracks 1 & 2 have their moments, but are generally weaker in structure and melody, and singing too! Still, this is a decent effort, and, once again, Genesis fans looking for a similar sounding outfit, will enjoy this, as I do, but not as much as 'Twilight'. If you can only afford to buy one, then make it the latter.

Send comments to chessman (BETA) | Report this review (#22200) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Review by erik neuteboom
3 stars If you don't have a problem with a band that sounds like the second coming of the early Genesis, The Watch will delight you! The first time I listened to this Italian formation I could hardly believe my ears: the vocals are almost similar to Peter Gabriel and the Hammond organ and Mellotron sound have strong echoes from Tony Banks. The compositions sound very pleasant and melodic featuring lots of majestic choir-Mellotron eruptions, beautiful twanging acoustic guitars, sensitive and howling electric guitar and many shifting moods. THIS IS A WONDERFUL EARLY GENESIS TRIBUTE!

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#44255) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 25, 2005

Review by Prog-jester
5 stars I had some fears about this band.The first one was if they're TOO Genesis-like.The second one was if they're NOT EHOUGH Genesis-like.Well,the result is beyond my fears & expectations.

WHAT IS LIKE GENESIS? - EVERYTHING!!!

Soundproducing,songwriting,arrangements(especially considering guitars acoustical passages),backing vocals,tunelines...Rosetti is a perfect Gabriel,containing all Gabriel's voices from 1970 till 2005 while his own one."Better than all these citizen cains & plackbands,the Perfect Clone" - you may think after the first time you've listened to it.Yeah,the same opinion we had about Marillion in 1982-83...That's wrong,folks.The Watch is UNIQUE.

WHAT IS NOT LIKE GENESIS? - EVERYTHING!!!

Surely,all the musicians have their own styles, while having the features borrowed from Genesis' ones.But the drummer needs separate description - IMHO,Phil Collins compsring to him is NOT drummer AT ALL!!!:-)Great drumming in anglagardic style,very complex.And the whole mood of the record is much darker than usual Genesis' one.The structures are more complex (reminding me of Italian Prog like Banco).The giutar/bass work sometimes can be even described as "brutal"!:-)Music closer to Crimso sometimes or even Anglagard!If the first 3 tracks are close to some kind of "insane scandinavian Foxtrot,Sold by the Pound by the Tricking Tail",the 4th track is as far from Genesis' standarts as it's possible.That's the Moment,when you're realising,that the Watch is the Watch - not the Genesis' clone or some kind of it.The 5th trackis a "tribute" to Genesis of 80s - very nice guitarless song(by the way,the only record on this CD which can be regarded as "Neo-prog";the others are superd Sympho).The closing epic is very dark & complex,it has made me impatiently waiting for the next CD by the Watch.

Well,spiritually these genius guys have reminded me 1982-83' Marillion,which,as you remember,was regarded in that time to be the Genesis' clone and nothing at all.Then Marillion became one of the most influental & respected prog bands(they're founders of Neo-prog,IMHO).Have you guessed what I mean?...:-)

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO ALL PROGGERS!!!

Send comments to Prog-jester (BETA) | Report this review (#61026) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars I discovered this band while I received a sample CD at a concert from The Musical Box (the best Genesis cover band) in February 2005. I was quite surprised by the quality of the music I heard and of course astonished by the similiraty with Genesis.

It was sufficient for me to get hold of their two albums; but you can also add the one from "The Night Watch" which was the previous band of the lead singer and that sounds exactly the same.

It is probably difficult to find a band that sounds more Genesis-like than The Watch. Of course there are other ones like Rael (!) from Argentina, Neuschwanstein from Germany or Citizen Cain from England. You may call them clones (or even clowns like some do -but which sounds quite irrespectuous to me), so what ?

Is there any problem in producing good music even if it is largely nostalgia driven ? I saw them live a few weeks ago in Belgium at the Spirit of 66 (one the best rock club in Europe - merci Francis), and they are quite respectuous for a band from the seventies as they name it (on stage they performed two songs from that band "The Return Of The Giant Hogweed" and "Can Utility and the Coastliners" which denotes sufficiently their inmense love for that band.

The opener "DNAlien" has reminiscence of "Watcher" : great mellotron intro, good bass playing and very good vocals (but this is true for the whole album). We are immediately transported in the seventies at its best. What a good number!

"The ghost And The Teenager" is less accessible, quite dark, with strange lyrics (Don't Let the Ghost Wander and Take Possession of You !) while "Heroes" is a bit weak though with a lenghtly and useless end.

"Moving Red" is in the vein of "DNAlien" but not so accomplished and melodious. The closing number "... And The winner Is..." starts quite slowly ("Trespass" atmosphere) then gets a bit like "Home by the Sea" : quite a combination!

Overall, it is a quite decent effort which is fully derivative but well crafted : three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#104693) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 27, 2006

3 stars Simone Rossetti's first band THE NIGHT WATCH lasted for one album ("Twilight"). This is his first with his new band called THE WATCH. For me the highlight of this record is without a doubt Simone's vocals.The instrumental work and the actual songs are not as good as I heard on "Twilight" or the follow up to this album called "Vacuum".

"DNAlien" opens with the sounds of synths rising slowly out of the silence. GENESIS-like keys follow before we hear Simone's amazing voice. Some tasteful guitar 6 minutes in. "The Ghost And the Teenager" is my favourite song on this album. I like the guitar to open that comes and goes. Lots of tempo changes in this song. Nice contrast between the reserved vocals with piano to the melancholic guitar melody with the more passionate vocals.The mellotron is a nice touch.

"Heroes" has lots of mood changes and atmosphere.Theatrical vocals 3 minutes in. Beware of the mellotron floods."Moving Red" is good, but probably my least favourite along with the slow moving "Riding the Elephant". Now I know why it's slow moving. Anyway I feel they make the mistake of not taking better advantage of Simone's vocals on these two songs. "...And the Winner Is..." is the final tune, and better than the last two but still lacking. A cool drum / mellotron melody starts before the 5 minute mark.

3.5 stars.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#125115) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 08, 2007

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
3 stars As I got hold of Citizen Cain and the Watch, starting to analyze them a bit closer to see beyond the obvious Genesis/Gabriel connotations, it sort of dawned on me that the glorious period of Genesis can be broken down into two separate forms of adulation. First, the instrumental prowess, with Banks' shimmering keyboard work, Hackett's expressively romantic guitar stylings, Rutherford's Rickenbacker booming relentlessly and Collins' slick technical drumwork . On the other hand you have the vocal exuberance and the lyrical eloquence of Monsieur Gabriel, who can certainly weave a forceful story and entertain thoroughly but also knew when to let the music tell the tale. With the two above groups, the decision to cram as many lyrics and vocal gymnastics has masked (yeah! right) the very obvious fact that the arrangements are stuffy and less expressive, as if the spotlight was only on the microphone. The argument becomes more focused when comparing this album (and the 2 followers) to the first born project called the Night Watch, that had a definite Genesis influence but with a more jagged edge that seemed to me more daring and adventurous than this material. As I have listened to this numerously trying to like it a lot, I still cannot shake the feeling of sterility even though the overall feel is acceptable. Sounds too calculated, almost like Supper's Ready by numbers, with an overload of linear, accented, histrionic and unending vocals from Simone Rossetti that just feels unconvincing. There should have been a strong yearning to stretch out the arrangements, so as to make the whole thing breathe better and accentuate the playing that is frankly, no where remotely near the mannered extravagance of the true creators. Best example is the opener "DNAlien", a piece that has numerous great ideas but crammed indelicately into a mass of confusion (sic!) with just too much vocal business going on. When Simone moves away from the spotlight (which is not often, alas), everything just sounds more persuasive, as the pointy mellotron darts and the whopping organ slams. The chorus is actually quite recherché but the arrangement remains way too choppy, paying lip service to the inflected singing. The Hacketty solo from Valerio Vado is good but oddly not jaw-dropping. With the initially gentler "The Ghost & the Teenager", our watchmen supply a little more subtle sonic expanse, lo and behold, and the ear seems to respond much more favorably. Here, the piano serves the melody well, with vocals that now have a "raison d'être", collaborating nicely to create a unique song, with mountains of the "famed white keyboard" and huge squalls of shrieking and slippery guitar. A playful middle section even manages to honor the tradition and actually contributes to the enjoyment. This is a good memorable track, with lots of contrasts and swerves. "Heroes" is not a remake of the famed Bowie song but a rather doctrinaire rehash of the rigid "Gabenesis" formula, with Rossetti aiming at the higher registers, sweetly crooning some sallow tale. The yelping can be annoying, saved by the majestic 'tron and the spikey acoustic guitar arpeggios.The lead axe solo, ripping through the tsunami- like keyboard waves is gripping. While "Moving Red" swaggers assuredly, the overt plagiaristic tendencies start gnawing at the fraying nerves, every track seemingly overloaded with the same massive sprinklings of musical Parmigiano, thus exuding this feeling of monolithic sameness. Not that its bland, au contraire, it just comes across too strong! The diminutive "Riding the Elephant" starts off promisingly with a too brief synth-smoked dirge, cool backing vocals and some icy frills, but suddenly the chorus just plods on, actually slowing down, putting brakes to a tune that may have elicited some goose bumps. The finale sadly adds no zip to this potentially arousing menu that simply fails to excite the palate. In the end, there is enough to praise but not to salivate over. The Watch needs some rewinding or go back to the Night ! 3 ring tones.

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#170513) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 10, 2008

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars The Watch is the physical transformation of The Nightwatch,the band lead singer Simone Rossetti found in mid-90's in Milano.The Nightwatch disbanded after Rossetti had serious problems establishing a stable line-up.By the dawn of the century Rossetti decided to make a new start under the name ''The Watch'' having guitarist Ettore Salati,bassist Marco Schembri,drummer Roberto Leoni and keyboardist Gabriele Manzini by his side.The debut of the band ''Ghost'' was released in 2001 on Italian label Lizard.

Despite the massive changes on the line-up,the sound of the band hasn't changed a bit compared to the Nightwatch'es ''Twilight''.Pure Retro-Symphonic Rock in the vein of GENESIS with mainly long tracks and constantly changing atmospheres.Rossetti continues to sound a lot like Gabriel and perform in a very theatrical way.Keyboard work is great featuring plenty of intricate mellotron,piano and organ parts,while guitarist Ettore Salati delivers some inspiring melodic plays.The compositions continue to be rich and captivating with both dark and lighter parts,grandiose atmospheres and soft interplays.However,the band still is on the way to find a more personal style and become immediately recognizable.

I found ''Ghost'' to be an excellent release for anyone searching for some good old-GENESIS sounding prog,but the album fails a bit next to the Nightwatch'es only album,lacking in the stunning melodies of ''Twilight''.However this remains a really good and recommended addition for any Retro-Prog fan of nowadays...3.5 stars.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#492611) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 30, 2011

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
3 stars "The best album Genesis never made." Huh. Yes, there are lot of things pointing directly at Nursery Cryme/Foxtrot era, but also they miss MANY things that Genesis had at that time: memorable compositions, sense of drama that made their epic songs so powerful, sensitivity, more varied sound in music and vocals, pastoral feel, and so on.

This album (or this Italian band in general, if their all albums are like this one) offers thick and, to some degree, depressing prog rock loaded with Mellotron, heavy guitars and a *very* Peter Gabriel sounding front man Simone Rossetti who writes the music and also plays flute (where he did that idea from? Ha ha). They sound so much like (certain heavier moments of) old Genesis that it's difficult - for a person who almost grew up into prog with albums of Genesis among others - not to be intrigued by it at all. But apart from that, I wasn't very impressed. And isn't the world full of Genesis-clones? One quite similar with The Watch is CITIZEN CAIN, especially on the stuffy Gabriel-esque vocals (and DISCIPLINE, but their prior influence is VDGG instead of Genesis).

Let's face it: I probably never would have become a Genesis-listener if their music was like this and nothing else. And if I wasn't today so strongly on an ever-expanding prog journey turning every available stone on the way that seems even slightly interesting, I wouldn't really care about this music. Generally they are a bit too heavy for my taste but I must agree that they do well what they are doing. So, by all means, give it a try: many reviewers have praised this heavily.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#512977) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 02, 2011

Review by Warthur
4 stars Not to be deterred by the end of his previous project, The Night Watch, Simone Rossetti gathered together a new lineup, who would call themselves The Watch in reference to the earlier band, and together the assembled musicians would continue their fallen predecessor's mission to revive the sound of early Genesis - with enough modern twists and turns to the compositions to create a compelling idea of what the classic-era Genesis sound might have evolved into if the band had extrapolated the direction of Selling England or Nursery Cryme forward by a few decades.

Original? Not even slightly. But like The Night Watch before them, The Watch show every evidence of really understanding the Genesis approach inside and out, and so they are able to create far more satisfying compositions than most clone bands. If one must be a retro-prog clone band, this is the absolute best way to do it.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#644978) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 03, 2012

3 stars This is the third Night Watch/Watch studio album I have been able to listen to and really get my head around. Ghost is a Genesis clone. There is no doubts about that. I think this album is much more Genesis than the other Night Watch/Watch albums. But I guess that's open for debate. The pro ... (read more)

Report this review (#221547) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Wednesday, June 17, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Love it or hate it, there is something special about this album that stands out beyond others in this sub-genre of progressive rock. Why would one hate this CD ? The most notable criticism seems to be that it smacks og GENESIS clonism. There is certainly enough to make you THINK about Genesis b ... (read more)

Report this review (#86272) | Posted by Trafficdogg | Wednesday, August 09, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I read all the reviews I could find on this band and fully expected a Genesis clone band the likes of which have not been seen since Kyrie Eleison or Newschwanstein. I have no problem with clones if done well. I was hoping and expecting "the best album Genesis never released". Boy was I mis ... (read more)

Report this review (#37289) | Posted by | Wednesday, June 22, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I'm not usually very keen on clone bands, but this time I must say that I was blown away...No need to say that this sounds very much like peter gabriel era Genesis...but they do it so well, it sounds so natural..."Ghost" is their second album and my favourite, its incredible to hear the maturi ... (read more)

Report this review (#22199) | Posted by | Friday, April 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars WHAT AN INCREDIBLE ALBUM!!!!! this is what prog is all about.... superb keyboards, superb and complex drumming,it's sounds like old genesis!!! complex rythm changes great melodies....... in the vein of Genesis.One of the best prog band ever!!! go out and buy it.... PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... (read more)

Report this review (#22198) | Posted by stephdrum | Saturday, January 29, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars It meant a lot to me, listening to 'Ghost'. It brought me straight back to my youth in which I discovered the meaning of excellent music. Then I discovered Genesis. I was 15 (now I'm 45). What Genesis did in their early period was pure excellence. Since that moment, I have discovered a lo ... (read more)

Report this review (#22195) | Posted by | Wednesday, October 20, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Some say a clone, some a poor impression of PGG. I say WOW what an excellent album, so good in fact that it rated as my album of the year in 2001.What's all the rubbish about clones, most great prog bands wear their influences proudly on their sleeves.The WATCH are no exception but those who call th ... (read more)

Report this review (#22189) | Posted by | Sunday, March 07, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE WATCH "Ghost"