SCENERIES

Sylvan

Sylvan Sceneries album cover

Buy SYLVAN Music
Studio Album, released in 2012

1. Chapter 1: 'The Fountain of Glow' (14:50)
2. Chapter 2: 'Share the World with Me' (15:05)
3. Chapter 3: 'The Words You Hide' (20:10)
4. Chapter 4: 'The Waters I Traveled' (20:00)
5. Chapter 5: 'Farewell to Old Friends' (20:33)

Search SYLVAN Sceneries lyrics

Search SYLVAN Sceneries tabs

- Marco Glühmann / Vocals
- Matthias Harder / Drums
- Sebastian Harnack / Bass
- Jan Petersen / Guitars
- Volker Söhl / Keyboards

Thanks to lss28 for the addition

SYLVAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SYLVAN Sceneries Music

SceneriesSceneries
Musea Records France 2012
Trinity Mass Yannatos / Shelton / Vargas / Sylvan / Robards CD US $13.18 Buy It Now 3h 29m
RANDOM HOLD Burn The Buildings LP UK 1982 David Ferguson Rikki Sylvan Art/Prog US $9.99 [0 bids]
sylvan herman / stephanie cha cha / medley / crosley 112 vinyl 45 US $9.95 [0 bids]
Metamorphosis, Sanford Sylvan, Mendelssohn Club,New, Factory Sealed,Audio CD, Mu US $11.36 Buy It Now 1 day
SYLVAN - POSTHUMOUS SILENCE & SHOW: LIVE AT KAMPNAGEL NEW DVD US $24.64 Buy It Now 1 day
SYLVAN LEVIN RALPH NORMAN a dream of love LP VG LPH 111 Vinyl 1957 Record US $24.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Paul Sylvan : Love Always Listens - CD - FASTPOST US $3.36 Buy It Now 2 days
SYLVAN, SANFORD - CHAMBER WORKS [SYLVAN, SANFORD] - NEW CD US $14.72 Buy It Now 2 days
SYLVAN - ENCOUNTERS German neoprog ANGULAR ORIG US $39.00 [0 bids]
Steve Flanagan / Sylvan ?- I've Arrived / We Don't Belong Spoke Records 7" 45 US $11.77 Buy It Now 2 days
ADAMS / SYLVAN / MALTMAN / BOUTROS / MARWA / LSO - DEATH OF KLINGHOFFER NEW DVD US $33.46 Buy It Now 2 days
The Lotus Eaters-The First Picture Of You-N.Mint Ep Vinyl Record-Sylvan-SYL 121 US $8.99 [0 bids]
DEMONCY WITHIN THE SYLVAN REALM OF FROST 1999 SO IT IS DONE PROFANATICA SABNACK US $99.00 Buy It Now 3 days
LIFCHITZ / SYLVAN WINDS - STARTLING STORIES NEW CD US $18.92 Buy It Now 3 days
MOBY MOVE THE MIXES TECHNO CAROLE SYLVAN ROZZ MOREHEAD HERMAN MELVILLE 4 TK 12" US $26.79 Buy It Now 3 days
CLASSIC 70's ROOTS - SYLVAN WHITE - LIVE IN LOVE US $5.50 Buy It Now 3 days
Christopher Hale **AUSTRALIAN CD (ALBUM)** Sylvan Coda US $0.92 [0 bids]
Sylvan Realm The Lodge Of Transcendence Agalloch Bethlehem US $6.66 [0 bids]
YANNATOS / SHELTON / VARGAS / SYLVAN / ROBARDS - TRINITY MASS NEW CD US $25.80 Buy It Now 4 days
Carole Sylvan Sound of New York 34005 Think Vocal and Instrumental US $4.50 Buy It Now 4 days
Sylvan Morris - "Reggae Workshop" Rare Original Dub Roots Reggae LP US $52.26 [6 bids]
SANFORD SYLVAN, Baritone - Beloved that Pilgrimage - David Breitman, Piano - CD US $2.99 Buy It Now 5 days
BARRY MASON AND SYLVAN 7"Single -When You Do What You're Doing/Oh Baby US $11.75 Buy It Now 5 days
D D'BONNEAU / M WEEKS / C SYLVAN You Got Me Spinning 12" Sound Clip in listing US $13.45 Buy It Now 5 days
CFC 156 JEANNE OMMERLE / SANFORD SYLVAN / GARY WEDOW Songs of Arthur Sullivan LP US $18.49 Buy It Now 5 days
XANADU The Last Sunrise NEW CD PROG Porcupine Tree, Sylvan, Riverside, Pendragon US $9.99 [0 bids]
Paul Sylvan - Love Always Listens + Sampler Disc US $10.27 Buy It Now 5 days
CFC 156 JEANNE OMMERLE / SANFORD SYLVAN / GARY WEDOW Songs of Arthur Sullivan LP US $17.60 Buy It Now 6 days
GOOD PAUL SYLVAN s/t LP Mint- Promo Label CS-1008 USA Stereo 1971 Record US $38.00 Buy It Now 7 days
SYLVAN SHULMAN modern music for strings 10" VG+ ML 2121 CBS ED1 1950 Record US $288.00 Buy It Now 7 days
SYLVAN GREY - RECURRING DREAM * - NEW CD US $11.50 Buy It Now 7 days
THE LOTUS EATERS the first picture of you (uk 1983 vinyl 12" ep) sylvan syl 121 US $11.68 Buy It Now 7 days
SYLVAN STREET - HERE IN AMERICA NEW CD US $22.34 Buy It Now 7 days
John Adams: The Death of Klinghoffer by Sanford Sylvan (CD, Sep-1992, 2... US $17.59 Buy It Now 7 days
Speculum Musicae/Sylvan Crumb: Comp Works Vol1 CD NEW (UK Import) US $26.74 Buy It Now 8 days
SYLVAN SINGERS Bel Canto BLUE MOUNTAIN ACADEMY Abendlied EVENSONG Rare XIAN lp US $29.95 Buy It Now 8 days
SYLVAN STREET - PERFECT LEAF NEW CD US $22.34 Buy It Now 8 days
Ellen Faull "AN AMERICAN SOPRANO" CD NEW Sylvan Levin US $5.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Paul Sylvan - Silent Witness Cd 1995. Description soon! US $9.10 Buy It Now 9 days
Fullwood / Sylvan White ?- Love You / Son Son ORIG UK 12" FREEDOM SOUNDS US $10.07 Buy It Now 9 days
1983 Lotus Eaters First Picture Of You 7" Sylvan Arista SYL-1 VG+ Vinyl PS US $2.50 Buy It Now 9 days
PAUL SYLVAN Good Paul Sylvan LP SEALED Colossus CS-1008 Promo US $19.98 Buy It Now 9 days
Sylvan Smith Solution - Sylvan Smith Solution Audio CD General, CD Album, Main US $1.04 Buy It Now 9 days
The Sylvan and Oceanic Delights of Posilipo / Philip Pickett by Patrizia... US $18.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Barry Mason & Sylvan - Oh Baby / When You Do What You're Doing 7" US $13.43 Buy It Now 9 days
JESSE GREEN (PIANO) - SYLVAN TREASURE * - NEW CD US $9.21 Buy It Now 9 days
Carole Sylvan Think Sound of New York 1982 SEALED 12" US $6.99 Buy It Now 9 days
LENNY FONTANA-EVERYBODY SAY YEAH-GARAGE-SYLVAN @LISTEN US $8.05 Buy It Now 11 days
Sylvan, Rikki What's That Sound 7" KRL KRLA1278 EX/EX 1 US $16.81 Buy It Now 11 days
Sylvan Treasure * by Jesse (Piano) Green (CD, Aug-20... US $3.41 Buy It Now 11 days
The Sylvan and Oceanic Delights of Posilipo. CD US $15.97 Buy It Now 11 days
Various Artists SYLVAN COURT CD US $6.34 Buy It Now 11 days
Sweethearts Songs of Sir Arthur Sullivan - Ommerle - Sylvan - Wedow US $10.00 Buy It Now 11 days
Sylvan Street - Perfect Leaf (CD New) US $9.86 Buy It Now 12 days
Sylvan Street - Here In America (CD New) US $9.88 Buy It Now 12 days
DREAM TEAM DATURA 2 FABIOLA FOURTEEN 14 DJ SYLVAN JOHNNY KASS ITALO MAX 2CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Through A Sylvan Doorway - Spiral Dance (2012, CD New) US $38.47 Buy It Now 12 days
Recurring Dream - Sylvan Grey (1997, CD New) US $11.16 Buy It Now 12 days
HEPTONES - BETTER DAYS : LP : UK Third World TDWD1 :Niney Observer Sylvan Morris US $35.99 Buy It Now 12 days
RIKKI SYLVAN what's that sound 7" PS EX/EX uk krl US $11.75 Buy It Now 13 days
Paul Sylvan Silent Witness Sensuous New Age Cassette Tape - TESTED US $4.03 Buy It Now 13 days
GOOD PAUL SYLVAN s/t Colossus Stereo USA ORIGINAL LP CS-1008 psych rock NM- US $13.08 Buy It Now 13 days
SYLVAN - ENCOUNTERS (IMPORT CD) - EXCELLENT - 24 HOUR POST!!! US $33.60 Buy It Now 13 days
Force of Gravity by Sylvan (CD, Jan-2001, Prog Rock Records) US $9.99 Buy It Now 13 days
Demoncy - Faustian Dawn / Within the Sylvan 2CD SICK!! US $10.82 Buy It Now 14 days
SYLVAN Posthumous Silence CD US $15.00 Buy It Now 14 days
SYLVAN REALM "The Lodge of Transcendence" CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 14 days
Jade Sylvan - Blood & Sand CD US $9.00 Buy It Now 14 days
SYLVAN STREET - THE PERFECT LEAF - NEW CD US $11.02 Buy It Now 14 days
HEAVY ROOTS CLASSIC-SYLVAN WHITE- WORLD OF CONFUSION hear US $9.99 Buy It Now 14 days
20120119011 | SHULMAN, SYLVAN ibert; concertino da camera G/EX USA H-71030 US $21.99 Buy It Now 14 days
SYLVAN - FORCE OF GRAVITY [SYLVAN] - NEW CD US $12.82 Buy It Now 15 days
Reverie - Isolation CD 2007 Sylvan Realm black metal acoustic US $6.00 Buy It Now 15 days
Good Paul Sylvan: Ophelia rare UK Polydor promo 1970 7" US $3.36 Buy It Now 16 days
Paul Sylvan(Vinyl LP)Love Always Listens-Slyvan Records-SRI-UK-VG/Ex US $11.75 Buy It Now 16 days
Paul Sylvan(Vinyl LP)Love Always Listens-Slyvan Records-SRI-UK-VG/Ex US $13.99 Buy It Now 16 days
MOBY MOVE THE EP TECHNO CAROLE SYLVAN ROZZ MOREHEAD HERMAN MELVILLE 4 TRACKS 12" US $20.09 Buy It Now 16 days
Carole Sylvan, Just doin' what we love 4 mix CD Single US $8.39 Buy It Now 17 days
DEMONCY Faustian Dawn/ Within The Sylvan Realms Of... US $13.00 Buy It Now 17 days
Studio 32 & Luis Radio Presents Carole Sylvan - I Cant US $10.07 Buy It Now 17 days
John Adams: Fearful Symmetries; Wound Dresser (CD, Elektra, AM) Sylvan - LN US $5.95 Buy It Now 17 days
Danny Tenaglia Feat Carole Sylvan - Look Ahead - 12 In US $16.79 Buy It Now 17 days
Danny Tenaglia Feat Carole Sylvan - Look Ahead - 12 In US $20.15 Buy It Now 17 days
Studio 32 & Luis Radio Presents Carole Sylvan - I Cant US $13.43 Buy It Now 18 days
Carole Sylvan - Just Doin What We Love - 12 Inch Vinyl US $6.71 Buy It Now 18 days
Danny Tenaglia Feat Carole Sylvan - Look Ahead - 12 In US $13.43 Buy It Now 18 days
RIKKI SYLVAN what's that sound 7" b/w no man's land (krl1278) pic slv uk kaleido US $8.39 Buy It Now 18 days
Lotus Eaters Soul In Sparks 7" vinyl single record UK FS5 SYLVAN 1985 US $15.53 Buy It Now 18 days
It Hurts 7" vinyl single record UK SYL5 SYLVAN 1985 US $20.07 Buy It Now 18 days
SYLVAN LEVIN ORCHESTRA Light Classical Gems 10" lp RARE US $24.89 Buy It Now 18 days
SYLVAN - LEAVING BACKSTAGE: LIVE AT KAMPNAGEL NEW CD US $25.80 Buy It Now 18 days
SYLVAN ESSO - COFFEE / DRESS NEW VINYL US $14.68 Buy It Now 18 days
SYLVAN - LEAVING BACKSTAGE: LIVE AT KAMPNAGEL - NEW CD BOXSET US $18.19 Buy It Now 18 days
Sylvan - Leaving Backstage: Live At Kampnagel CD US $21.20 Buy It Now 19 days
Sylvan - Posthumous Silence (2006) - Used - Compact Disc US $34.94 Buy It Now 19 days
Michelle Weeks 'YOU GOT ME SPINNIN' DJ 12 Carole Sylvan US $5.03 Buy It Now 19 days
1971 GOOD PAUL SYLVAN LP on COLOSSUS Rare SUNSHINE POP FUNK Northern SOUL US $19.99 Buy It Now 19 days
Carole Sylvan-Just Doin' What We Love-UK Import CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 20 days
Sylvan Street Here In America CD US $13.87 Buy It Now 20 days
Barry Mason and Sylvan-when you do what you're doing.7" US $10.09 Buy It Now 20 days

More places to buy SYLVAN music online Buy SYLVAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SYLVAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SYLVAN Sceneries ratings distribution

SYLVAN Sceneries reviews

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'Sceneries' - Sylvan (5/10)

What better way to start off 2012 than with a double album, right? In any case, Sylvan is a band who have reached my ears long before this New Year's day, but I would be safe in assuming that there are people reading this who are much more familiar with the band's work than I. I can safely declare however that Sylvan have attained a status of recognition within the 'neo-prog' community, and for good reason; their highly melodic take on progressive rock has been historically beautiful and passionate. 'Sceneries' is very much an album that caters to the existing fan of the band. As a hour-and-a-half monster of music to digest, few newcomers will have the patience to sit through such a length of music that- despite some areas of strength- does not appear to warrant being so long.

The music on 'Sceneries' might be described as being somewhat post-rockish in nature. The musicianship is brooding and dark, with the instruments focusing on raising an atmosphere while the melodies are left to the vocals of Marco Glühmann. Kept at a painfully consistent mid-tempo throughout the album, each of these five 'epic' tracks sees the band wander through a slew of oddly similar ideas, sometimes contrasting in terms of relative 'heaviness', but throughout 'Sceneries', there is little sense of variety or dynamic. Especially considering that a cinematic album length would wear thin with all but the most diverse and profound albums, 'Sceneries' feels bogged down by its overindulgent length, rather than enabled by it. As I would say for the majority of double albums, the same message could have been conveyed in half the time.

The strength of the songwriting lies mainly in the arrangements and orchestrations of the music, which are intelligent enough to keep a listener attentive, although all of the ideas are kept within the same narrow band of mid-tempo brooding mellowness. Few exceptions are allowed, and as a result, none of these epics particularly stand out from each other. The musical highlight that 'Sceneries' offers is likely the charming string section that's brought in to emphasize what are apparently the emotional 'climaxes' of the compositions. That term must be used lightly here however, because there is little sense of a rising action throughout this. Despite being given more than enough time to ferment the ideas into dramatic builds, the dynamic stays fairly constant and regular throughout 'Sceneries', and as a result, Sylvan come across as much less of a moving act than they have been in the past.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#601270) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 02, 2012

Review by lazland
5 stars There are some bands for whom the phrase "the best album since" usually represents something of a kiss of death. The need of some critics and fans to relive a classic moment means that the later releases somehow never really hit the mark, simply because they are lost in comparison. The best example I can think of is AC/DC, who have been cursed with the "best since Back In Black" for every album over the last twenty years, or so.

This is the danger inherent for Sylvan, the hugely talented German outfit, for Posthumous Silence from 2006 is such a titan of an album, such a work of genius that, quite honestly, it really is impossible to think that they could ever scale such heights again. Thus, Presets & Force Of Gravity, both excellent albums in their own right, suffered a tad in comparison with that marvellous album.

And so to 2012, and Sylvan bring us a massive 90 minute slab of music in Sceneries. Unlike its famous predecessor, this is not a concept album, per se, but, rather, five individual pieces of music and musings each individually inspired by the five band members personal experiences or thoughts. At this point, I would point out that the lyrics are available as a free download on the band's website, and well worth it it is too.

I don't like it a great deal when a band spells out for me exactly what the lyrics mean. I like to place my own interpretation on what the lyrics might mean, and, more importantly, what they mean to me as an individual and as someone who has always tried to relate his most important music to personal experiences in life. Thankfully, in the interviews I have seen, the band have left it to the individual, to the extent that I still do not know which band member inspired which movement. Thus, what follows is my personal take on these lyrics.

The Fountain of Glow is, to me, an expression of love conquering all of the nasty, selfish, and greedy tendencies that abound in the world, and that love will, eventually conquer all. Sentiments that would lie well, I think, with Jon Anderson fans, and whilst the lyrics do not contain his "other world" expressions (some would regard that as a good thing), they are, to me, suitably poetical.

The second movement is Share The World With Me, a beautiful paeon to a lost friend (a very close friend) whilst exploring the incredible power and beauty that the planet has to offer, as experienced during a particularly intense walk.

The Words You Hide tells me of a story that is timeless in rock music, that of anger at the words spoken at a loved one, whilst then endlessly regretting the words never spoken, the latter, of course, being the ones you truly wished to speak.

Chapter Four is The Waters I Travelled, a rather nightmarish dreamscape portraying the power of the ocean, and its power to consume.

Lastly, we have Farewell To Old Friends, which, to me, are quite the most inspirational lyrics as a dedication to war, and the feelings it can bring, I have seen since Roger Waters at his peak. This is the story of how an old war veteran could inspire and bring hope to a younger man, in spite of all the horrors witnessed, and how, as a race, the light and a better way are there for us, if only we could take the chance. It is, in essence, a celebration of life itself.

There we go. Those are the musings of this particular reviewer. At this stage, most readers are probably thinking, "all very well, pal, but what about the bloody music?". Words, really, almost fail me. I cannot think of an album since Oldfield's Tubular Bells I & II where a piano, the simple piano, has been at the heart of all around it. And from such delicate keys, this band have woven a work which is just about as powerful and emotional as it is possible for an album to get.

Fans of Marco Gluhmann's ability to soar and drip the entire room with layers of emotion, in both his delicate, quiet, moments and his powerful cries (which put Ronnie James Dio at his loudest to shame) will not certainly not be disappointed. This is just about the most emotional and incredible vocal performance I have heard since, well.....Posthumous Silence. The conclusion of Share The World With Me, especially, simply has to be experienced in a very dark room, with the speakers turned up to the maximum, because this man's vocals, backed by the most incredible guitar work, combined with a wall of sound, are really quite astounding, and send shivers running down one's back.

Talking of a wall of sound, I think I have said before of the band that the only act I can compare them with in terms of being able to simply fill a large space with pure sound (and this includes the numerous passages where we have merely piano and vocals) is Genesis in their pomp. You know, albums such as Wind & Wuthering, where the feel and sound of the work was as important as the songs themselves. The only other modern act I can think of that come anywhere near are Pendragon in their finest moments (and fans of that great band will find much to love here).

This album veers from delicate, to downright heavy, with passages of the most incredible symphonic power that it is somewhat difficult to believe that it was created by five blokes, rather than a full orchestra.

So. To conclude. It is with utter certainty that I say that this album is Sylvan's finest since the remarkable Posthumous Silence (there, I said it!). Not only that, though, this is an album which simply has to be experienced in its own right and is such a powerful emotional experience that it leaves the listener incredulous and breathless, emotionally drained, at its conclusion.

For those who still think, in spite of fine releases in recent years by acts such as Pendragon, Pallas, Marillion, Edison's Children, and IQ especially, that all neo-prog is is a copy of classic prog acts, and a poor one at that, then think again. This is the sound of a modern progressive rock band absolutely at the top of their form. This is the sound of progressive rock in 2012, and delightful it is, too. Whilst its length will preclude you having it on every single day (unless you have a lot of spare time), it is one that you will return to time and time again, and one which demands to be listened to as a whole.

If you buy no other album in 2012, make sure it is this one. I can describe it as no less than an utter masterpiece. An incredible performance by an incredible band.

Send comments to lazland (BETA) | Report this review (#756080) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 21, 2012

Review by Gatot
3 stars Very nice crossover prog ...

Well, if you followed the band since its inception you would find that this band has its roots on neo-progressive subgenre. But later the band changed its direction into more on crossover prog in the vein of something similar like Marillion 'Brave' eventhough this one sounds more energetic. And I think the band has tried to produce a very nice album where it consists epics with relatively long duration. I personally enjoy this album from start to end. It's strong in terms of melody as most of the vocal line that represents the melody are quite catchy and memorable. In terms of harmonies it has excellent harmonies that blends nicely all instruments in ambient mode making excellent support to vocal. There are stunning guitar and piano works throughout the epics. There is basically little complexity with moderate changes of styles and modes. As there are moderates changes in styles and modes, therefore the whole albums sounds cohesive and having good structural integrity. For me personally, this album is very nice even though not challenging in terms of complexities and dynamics. Sometimes I feel like the song has been prolonged unnecessarily. But it's OK. Keep on proggin' ...!!!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#765817) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 07, 2012

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
5 stars Long disc, long review.

I have given this 2Cd release a very wide berth, as befits all long-winded albums that, too often have glittering prizes entangled with parasitic dross. At first spin strangely, I was not overtly impressed, perhaps overwhelmed by so much compact and dense material, as if one huge epic, reminiscent of Tales From Topographic Oceans' bombastic and much debated overkill. But with repeated sonic orbits, the scenery (pun!) became clearer and somehow more coalescing towards sheer, unadulterated enjoyment. Less metallic than the glorified "Posthumous Silence" due to Volker Sohl's piano and Marco Gluhmann's massive voice now being the major architects, Sceneries is without question or any hesitation on my part, Sylvan's ultimate prog masterpiece.

Firstly, the album must be listened to in one fall swoop, absorbed and understood as the platform that will consecrate Marco as modern music's most striking voice. He has grown immensely as a vocalist by incorporating a wider variety of tone and accent, sounding analogous to such legendary singers as Bono, Peter Murphy and Steve Hoggarth while still remaining the quixotic and passionate howler that he always was. I will of course refer to these aspects later in the analysis but the music now serves a foil for some intense singing of the highest order, arguably one of prog's most evident weakness and rarity . (When Greg Lake keeps winning prog vocalist polls in 2012, you know there is a problem behind the mike!)

Secondly, the piano has most evidently become the lead magical wand, serviced by Jan Petersen's more textured axe playing, as opposed to the previous dominance by Kay Sohl and the keys becoming the coloratura. After numerous comprehensive spins that suddenly make the sounds familiar, the music becomes pristine, delicate and yet powerfully expressive, loaded with a kaleidoscope of mosaic resonance that titillates with exquisite restraint. The tight rhythm section has never been questioned though the bass is not as upfront as before. Sylvan has decided to play as a Mannschaft (team) and the results are simply astounding. But the real shocker is the voice, a confident and self-assured instrument of captivating emotion that reveals a true star at work and at play. I am still bowled over.

Only multiple auditions can bloom this forest of flowers into a paradise. The more you listen to it, the more addictive it gets. Piano and voice is how they gustily forge this monster album forward, Marco trembling passionately in bluesy kind of way, highly confident yet relaxed, a sign of incredible musical maturity, similar to love-making (fear of censors, Thomas?), you learn to relax and enjoy as you mature! The instrumental breaks are fast, at times funky and soberly furious. Like the legendary Christian Décamps of Ange, Marco can actually sing and in a multitude of textures and tones to boot! Theatrical? You bet your Shakespeare or Molière! He really can yelp, plead, caress and serenade at will, a sensitive amalgam of many brilliant voices, all ensconced in a massive torrent of sound that they have mastered, cognizant technique, musical team spirit cresting at 100% and a clear vision, which for an epic album that can only be appreciated in a complete listen must label itself as a colossal rarity! Sylvan pull it off in a myriad of spades, throw in a few shovels and some toolboxes while you are at it! Bombastic, romantic and relentlessly unhurried, with multiple bombshell twists and sublime excursions that negate categorization as just "Neo-prog". At times, symphonic, folky, jazzy and then suddenly bombastic, with splashes of alternative and modern paint This is a sizzling voyage of utter prog determination, solid and unpredictable, evocative, honest and sincere. But Marco Glühmann steals the show with a vocal tour de force performance, the elegant piano the obvious "fil conducteur" , appearing as the pied-piper of musical dreams, luxuriantly bathing in a kaleidoscope of sounds, while guitarist Jan Petersen flashes some ripping dazzle when needed and even he takes his time in exploding. Strength and restraint are the words to describe the equipoise of this Hamburg-based band of brothers (even though Kay Sohl is now gone!)

This is a humongous success with absolutely no dead weight filler and mostly colossally perfect symphonic prog, with unending innovation in exploring new vistas and expressing them accordingly. That folks (volk in German) is called genius. The atmosphere goes from the utter nadir, screaming up to up to highest Everest and they do so with gusto and panache. There are numerous winks at Marbles, Marillion's epic work but Sylvan simply blows Hoggarth and crew out of the water and I am in no way referring to the rather unglorious "Sink the Bismarck" episode in early WW2 with its massive horror casualties. Sylvan doesn't get as heavy as in the past, but when they do, hold on to your sauerkraut, the guys go on a monumental tear as they elevate their craft to a completely new level. There is even a segment where Marco sounds at times like the lascivious Peter Murphy (ex-Bauhaus), it's almost scary like a Dracula-infested Halloween party! But it works brilliantly as Marco then veers the band into new, almost Floydian territory demonstrating that controlled restraint and assuredness. The symphonic orchestrations release a new steamroller riff, doomsday explosions of despair and pain with the voice pleadingly surfing on the musical crest, going under and then over once again, reigning supreme. The psychedelics kick in and the mood gets creamier, with more Pink references and a leisurely pace only serves to further engulf the listener. By the end of the second CD, the lusty rhythms have raged furiously in whirlwind splendor, raising the bar even higher by diving and soaring according to the need and want. Petersen's axe unleashes its power liberally, weaving slippery leads almost at will, enriching the angst to the nth degree. Ebb and flow, cadence and cascade, power and glory.

As so poignantly stated by lazland, if there is one 2012 album that you need to incorporate in your collection, Sceneries is the one! Rarely have I witnessed such a cavalcade of stirring melodies on one release, panacea for the soul and ear candy for the mind. An exhilarating ride! A masterpiece has arrived.

5 polyvalent panoramas

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#778491) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 27, 2012

4 stars A fabulous Neo Prog band from Germany who really do not have a weak album in their entire catalogue; a catalogue which is now becoming pretty impressive. With Sceneries the focus, as usual, is on the vocals and Marco does not disappoint. His voice is certainly unique but I find it very appealing ... (read more)

Report this review (#952788) | Posted by demolition man | Thursday, May 02, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Having got Sylvan's 'Leaving backstage' (Their live album), I could hear perhaps how limited their sound and style probably were. The band ultimately have a 'heavy' guitar sound, interspersed and led by a keyboardist! it all comes together nicely in 'Posthumous silence', but can they offer an ... (read more)

Report this review (#817371) | Posted by sussexbowler | Sunday, September 09, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I can only say that I enjoy this album. Each part can be enjoyed as a seperate song as I have found on my ipod on shuffle. Each song can be enjoyed as a whole without getting boring. There are no throw away sections which is rare for any album. I wonder if my taste in music has become a little s ... (read more)

Report this review (#763226) | Posted by steve h | Sunday, June 03, 2012 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Sylvan are perhaps the most enjoyable of all neo prog bands to me when they are firing on all cylinders. Posthumous Silence would in fact be a top 10 album of all time for me (definite 5 star). I am however left like a stunned mullet after listening to this record. I thought I would be losing ... (read more)

Report this review (#649968) | Posted by ProgolateCookie | Wednesday, March 07, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars With a back catalogue including amazing albums such as Posthumous Silence and Artificial Paradise Sylvan is a band for whom I have significant respect. I was therefore slightly disappointed with their last release "Force of Gravity". Thus, I thought it unlikely they would return to the glorious he ... (read more)

Report this review (#629272) | Posted by Skyperion | Thursday, February 09, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I am listening to the final chapter of Sceneries and WOW what an album . I never thought they would surpass Posthumous Silence but they just did . This story needed to be told on two disc and let me tell you no fillers here. The voice is spot on , the arrangement wonderful, the quiet moments a ... (read more)

Report this review (#626586) | Posted by prog4ever | Saturday, February 04, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SYLVAN "Sceneries"