BYDYRA

Prog Folk

Tusmørke Bydyra album cover

Buy TUSMØRKE Music
Studio Album, released in 2017

1. Tre Som Bor I Et Tre (1:38)
2. Trefar (3:21)
8. Elvene I Oslo (3:50)
9. Signekjerringa (3:29)
10. Tenkeren (3:51)
11. Trollmannen (3:32)
12. Lær De Fattige Å Trylle (2:30)
13. Dyrene Bor Ute (3:11)
14. Underboerne (3:01)
15. Katabasis (Remix Morten Øby) (2:27)

Total time 48:00

- Benedikt Momrak "Benediktator" / vocals, bass, acoustic guitar, jew's harp, percussion, glockenspiel, sounds
- Lars Fredrik Frøislie / grand piano, Prophet 5, Solina String Ensemble, Arp Axxe/ Pro Soloist, MiniMoog, Mellotron, spinet
- Kristoffer Momrak "Krizla" / vocals, flute, electronics
- Martin Nordrum Kneppen "Hlewagastir" / drums, percussion

With:
- Dauinghorn Av Jordsjø / electric guitar
- Annette Stav Johanssen / vocals (9)
- Austeja / violin (3)
- Maya / violin (3)
- Petra / violin (3)

Artwork: Thore Hansen

LP Karisma Records ‎- KAR132LP (2017, Norway)

CD Karisma Records ‎- KAR132CD (2017, Norway)

FLAC download - bandcamp.com

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

Buy TUSMØRKE Bydyra Music

Tusmørke - Bydyra (NEW CD DIGI) USD $19.07 Buy It Now 9 days
Tusmørke - bydyra LP #112848 USD $28.44 Buy It Now 16 days
Tusmørke - Bydyra (NEW VINYL LP) USD $29.25 Buy It Now 16 days
Tusmørke - Bydyra NEW CD Digi USD $16.85 Buy It Now 17 days
Tusmørke - Bydyra NEW LP USD $23.67 Buy It Now 17 days

More places to buy TUSMØRKE music online Buy TUSMØRKE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

TUSMØRKE Bydyra ratings distribution

TUSMØRKE Bydyra reviews

Review by Progfan97402
4 stars I wasn't expecting Tusmørke to cough up two albums in one year, but they did, starting with Hinsides in May 2017, and now Bydyra in November. Here they switched labels from Svart to Karisma Records, same label that issued Wobbler's new release From Silence to Somewhere and upcoming releases from Jordsjø, Lars Fredrik Frøslie, credited as The Phenomenon Marxo Solinas provides some great use of Moog and Mellotron, so now children get treated with sounds of such instruments. The group now includes Håkon Oftung from Jordsjø, I guess I can't be too surprised as I get reminded of Tusmørke from time to time with Jordsjø¸ (as well as Wobbler and Änglagård). When I heard Bydyra was going to be a children's album I was suspicious. Here in America (where I live) children's music conjures up images of insipid music from Disney and Barney the Dinosaur. Tusmørke totally avoids that trap big time by creating an honest to god children's prog album! No reminders of Disney, Barney or Elmo here, but instead the lyrics seem to be about urban life, rising housing prices in already expensive Oslo (something that also concerns people in London and Paris, and here in the States with New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Honolulu, with smaller cities like Portland and Seattle heading that way), and apparently magic. The band included a children's chorus from some Oslo primary school. Despite the child-like approach, it's easy to see this is basically the same group that brought us Underjordisk Tusmørke exactly five years before, just you hear children singing along with the Tusmørke guys (Benediktator and Krizla share vocal duties). That's an ingenious way to introduce children to prog. The songs are all short, since I doubt children will be ready for Tales From Topographic Oceans at that age. But that totally makes since and they didn't sacrifice prog just because the songs are shorter. The folk elements are still present as before.

It's safe to say American children won't get much out of it since it's all sung in Norwegian, but for those who wonder if a children's prog album can succeed, I'm happy to say, it succeeds here. No Barney, Elmo or Disney stuff here. I've heard my share of American children's music which pretty much scarred me for life (I'm only glad I was born in 1972, Barney was way after my time). Doing a children's album is certainly a very risky gamble, and in this case it paid off well. Well worth listening to, even if you can't get much out of what they're singing due to language barrier. By far the best children's music album by a country mile!

Review by Windhawk
4 stars Norwegian band TUSMORKE was formed back in the middle of the 1990's, but didn't actually become recording artists until 2012. Since then the band have grown considerably in status and stature, with half a dozen albums to their name at this point. "Bydyra" is their fifth studio album, and was released by Norwegian label Karisma Records towards the end if 2017.

Music made for children are one of those details of life that can give some people headaches merely by mentioning it. Car vacations with the same album of simplistic, limited musical dandruff repeated over and over again a real life nightmare I imagine a few are still familiar with, even if this is mainly an experience from a bygone age by now. Tusmorke proves quite nicely that music of this kind doesn't have to be as limited as certain international corporations wants us to believe, and that music of this kind can be an interesting listen also for adults. Primarily one for the children this one, but also an album that prog loving parents can safely play in their car or at home without being in danger of getting a migraine. As far as style is concerned, this is progressive folk rock blended with a children's musical. A blend that is rather more appealing than what you would expect.

Post a review of TUSMØRKE "Bydyra"