NIITTOAIKA

- Inka Eerola / violin

Guests:
- Kimmo Pohjonen / accordion
- Heikki Rita / clarinet

CD Silence-SLC 011-Fin (2002)

and to Angelo for the last updates

UZVA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy UZVA Niittoaika Music

More places to buy UZVA music online Buy UZVA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for UZVA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

UZVA Niittoaika ratings distribution

UZVA Niittoaika reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars Last year , as I asked Anekdoten drummer Peter Nordin what had become of Hoyry Kone , he had told me that they had broken up which I knew but then asked what they (musicians) were doing as he knew most of them personally (he had played on their albums). He told me most of them had joined either Alamaailmam Vasarat or Uzva. As for AV , this is correct but for Uzva , I am still trying to find a link to HK (other than nationality or that they are also entirely instrumental & acoustic as AV is. This is where comparisons stops as Uzva is much more lyrical in their songwriting but still very jazz-classical-folk-prog. Not that this stops them from developping some incredibly dynamic and energetic moments - the last movement of the third number is particularly awesome. Please note that the influence pointed out in the first composition is not too overly obtrusive as Uzva manages to have its own sound somewhere between Mahavishnu , Canterbury and Genesis or GG. Quite a small find. Greg Walker told me their debut is out of print so hurry-up for this one as it is likely to also.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#32743) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 06, 2004

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
3 stars Greetings to previous reviewer who thought in the forum that his text was so lonely (yes, I'm a Finn). Unfortunately I haven't listened to Niittoaika more than couple of times a year ago, so I can't say anything deep about it. I taped few minutes extracts from each 3 long titles - that reveals I didn't fall in love with the whole album but found it interesting. I would compare it mostly - not to Canterbury scene or Gentle Giant but to the early works of Mike Oldfield (TB, Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn); the sound and (totally instrumental!) structure are quite similar - not that Uzva is plagiarizing or even necessarily influenced heavily by those mentioned records. Also I sensed Soft Machine's fusion-rock, which probably HAS influenced, due to the name of the first piece. All in all, just a bit sleepy in its entirety (or maybe I didn't try enough) but definitely very nice, and in these days quite rare kind of art rock played with the addition of classical instruments, which makes the sound warm and pleasant. Worth checking if you like instrumental, folkish fusion.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#32745) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 31, 2005

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
4 stars This is a very happy and playful summer record, which creates a small theme of seasons, as the band's previous album was a peaceful winter album "Tammela at January". Some listening of 1972-1974 era KING CRIMSON was probably done during the time between these albums, as there are great freeform improvisations between the composed themes and more structured jams. The band also performed "Red" as an encore in their concert, where they also played material from this CD. The first two suites are pastorals, "Afrodite" being specially mellow, and "Drontti" has a more aggressive beat in vein of early 70's FRANK ZAPPA.

When I first listened to this record, it didn't quite catch my complete interest, and I first graded "Niittoaika" as a three star album. Luckily the problem was not in the album but in my own state, as I was both stressed and sick; Now carefully listened again, I got the good kicks which it can offer. Recommended sincerely!

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#39113) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 11, 2005

3 stars Very pleasant and melodic instrumental Jazz music from Finland. They have divided this recording into three sections with 2 to 3 songs in each.

"Soft Machine" is the first section. Part 1 opens with the birds chirping while vibes, drums then bass comes in. Violin before 2 minutes as it stays pastoral. Flute a minute later. Part 2 has a fuller sound with heavy drums and lots of violin.The flute becomes prominant as well. Guitar after 6 minutes as bass throbs. It settles with violin 7 1/2 minutes in. Part 3 is violin led with a fuller sound a minute in. Some nice bass as well. Aggressive guitar 2 1/2 minutes in. It ends with the birds singing. "Afrodite" Part 1 continues with those birds hamming it up. This is very pastoral with piano and flute. The violin does become prominant.

Part 2 features some great drumming as guitar,then violin come to the fore. I like the guitar after 6 minutes. The birds are back ! Did they ever leave ? "Drontti" Part 1 opens with surprise ! Birds. It's mellow and violin led. Part 2 continues with the singing birds as vibes come in. Flute before 2 minutes. The tempo picks up as violin and guitar arrive. It settles somewhat again. An aggressive passage before 4 minutes. I like the darker section before 5 minutes with violin. A big finish follows. Nice.

The overall mood is fairly light, too light for my tastes. Having said that, there are some really good passages here that I enjoy a lot.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#188273) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 08, 2008

4 stars Uzva is nature-like-sounding instrumental symphonic fusion combo from Finland. In addition to guitars, bass and drums we can listen such kind of instruments like vibraphone, marimba, piano, cello, flute, violin, accordion and clarinet. And so we can be in quite acoustic but sometimes very expr ... (read more)

Report this review (#53578) | Posted by Rainer Rein | Thursday, October 27, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Uzva's Niittoaika is a fantastic album. This band plays only instrumental music. The band plays some sort of a combination of jazz, folk, chamber music and even RIO (in my opinion), and this combination is well combined! The members of this band play well, and the songs have been composed soph ... (read more)

Report this review (#42524) | Posted by Dan Yaron | Thursday, August 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Very organic and orginal music from Finland. Haven't heard anything like this for a long time. Resembles Mahavishnu Orchestra and early Jukka Tolonen. Very peaceful album that at the end grows stronger. Recomended for all mankind. ... (read more)

Report this review (#36846) | Posted by | Saturday, June 18, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of UZVA "Niittoaika"