SECRET WORLD LIVE

Essential: a masterpiece of
progressive rock music

Buy PETER GABRIEL Music
DVD/Video, released in 1994

1. Come Talk To Me (6:31)
2. Steam (7:33)
3. Across the River (5:59)
4. Slow Marimbas (1:40)
5. Shaking the Tree (7:10)
6. Blood of Eden (7:01)
7. San Jacinto (7:33)
8. Kiss That Frog (6:12)
9. Washing of the Water (4:02)
10. Solsbury Hill (4:26)
11. Digging in the Dirt (6:54)
12. Sledgehammer (6:13)
13. Secret World (10:29)
14. Don`t Give Up (7:18)
15. In Your Eyes (10:02)

Total Time 105 Minutes approx.

Search PETER GABRIEL Secret World Live lyrics

Search PETER GABRIEL Secret World Live tabs

Universal Music & VI

PETER GABRIEL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PETER GABRIEL Secret World Live Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
So (25th Anniversary Remaster)So (25th Anniversary Remaster)
Real World Productions 2012
PETER GABRIEL VHS Video US $18.01 Buy It Now 9h 12m
CLASSIC ALBUMS: PETER GABRIEL - SO [DVD] - NEW DVD US $9.93 Buy It Now 11h 13m
US PETER GABRIEL US ALL ABOUT US VIDEO VHS US $28.05 Buy It Now 12h 38m
PETER GABRIEL CV A RARE FIND ~VHS VIDEO PAL US $28.05 Buy It Now 12h 40m
Peter Gabriel BACK TO FRONT (DVD, 2014) Live in London, Tony Levin, David Rhodes US $5.50 [3 bids]
Peter Gabriel: Back to Front (Blu-ray Disc, 2014) US $4.00 [1 bids]
PETER GABRIEL Billy Bragg MAXI PRIEST 88 LIVE apartheid US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Peter Gabriel: New Blood - Live in London (DVD, 2011) US $6.56 Buy It Now 1 day
Peter Gabriel: New Blood - Live in London (Blu-ray Disc, 2011) US $6.18 Buy It Now 1 day
PETER GABRIEL - NEW BLOOD - LIVE IN LONDON * DVD* *SEALED* US $7.57 Buy It Now 1 day
Peter Gabriel - Still Growing Up Live & Unwrapped (2-Disc) DVD Set NEW US $39.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Peter Gabriel Secret World Live Widescreen Digitally Re-Mixed DVD 2 Disc Set US $9.99 [0 bids]
Peter Gabriel New Blood Live In London DVD US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live DVD New US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
STILL GROWING UP: PETER GABRIEL LIVE AND UNWRAPPED NEW DVD US $33.60 Buy It Now 2 days
PETER GABRIEL "ALL ABOUT US" RARE OOP VHS LIVE + MUSIC VIDEOS! NEVER ON DVD! US $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
PETER GABRIEL SECRET WORLD LIVE RARE OOP GENESIS VHS TAPE *VERY GOOD CONDITION* US $3.99 Buy It Now 2 days
PETER GABRIEL - POV (1990) USED VHS US $0.99 [0 bids]
Peter Gabriel: New Blood - Live in London (Blu-ray Disc, 2011) US $13.00 Buy It Now 2 days
PETER GABRIEL New Sealed 2014 25th SO Anniversary LIVE CONCERT & MORE DVD US $18.99 Buy It Now 2 days
INXS Greatest Hits DVD, Tom Petty Greatest Hits, Peter Gabriel Hits + more!! US $24.99 [0 bids]
NEW PETER GABRIEL Back To Front - Live In London Deluxe BLUE-RAY NEW US $70.90 Buy It Now 2 days
Peter Gabriel - POV Point Of View VHS 1990 Genesis US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
PETER GABRIEL - ALL ABOUT US - VHS - PAL - NEW - NEVER PLAYED! - 55-minutes US $14.87 Buy It Now 2 days
Peter Gabriel - CV (VHS) US $1.99 [0 bids]
e614 Japan Laserdisc PETER GABRIEL CV Shock The Monkey, Red Rain, Mercy Street ? US $29.70 Buy It Now 3 days
Gabriel P-Peter Gabriel-Live in Athens 1987 and Play US $13.69 Buy It Now 3 days
Peter Gabriel Rare Authentic Hand Signed Laserdisc Secret World Live + Photo WOW US $499.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Classic Albums: Peter Gabriel - So (Blu-ray Disc, 2012) US $8.00 Buy It Now 3 days
PETER GABRIEL: New Blood: Live in London US $6.99 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL: Secret World Live US $6.99 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL: So - The Definitive Authorized Story of the Album US $6.99 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL New 2014 BEST OF LIVE CONCERT & VIDEO BLU RAY DVD Great Gift Idea! US $20.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Peter Gabriel - Play: The Videos by US $34.98 Buy It Now 3 days
Peter Gabriel: Back to Front (Blu-ray Disc, 2014, 4-Disc Set, Limited... US $50.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Peter Gabriel: New Blood - Live in London, New DVDs US $16.16 Buy It Now 4 days
PETER GABRIEL - STILL GROWING UP LIVE & UNWRAPPED - NEW DVD BOXSET US $36.97 Buy It Now 4 days
LASERDISC - PETER GABRIEL - ALL ABOUT US - MUSIC VIDEO US $14.95 Buy It Now 4 days
Birdy VHS Tape RCA Columbia Video Nicolas Cage Matthew Modine Peter Gabriel 1985 US $7.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Peter Gabriel: Back to Front Brand New 2 CD & 2 DVD Set! US $42.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Rabbit-Proof Fence DVD Kenneth Branagh, Music by Peter Gabriel NEW, SEALED! OOP US $29.99 Buy It Now 4 days
PETER GABRIEL SECRET WORLD LIVE LASERDISC, Real World 1994 - Steam, San Jacinto US $3.58 Buy It Now 4 days
PETER GABRIEL POV ~ VHS -This is the picture! San Jacinto! Shock the Monkey! OOP US $3.58 Buy It Now 4 days
PETER GABRIEL**SO: CLASSIC ALBUMS**DVD US $9.95 Buy It Now 4 days
GENESIS with PETER GABRIEL live compilation VHS 3 hours RARE phil collins MINT US $119.99 Buy It Now 4 days
PETER GABRIEL New Sealed 2014 25th SO Anniversary LIVE CONCERT & MORE BLU RAY US $22.99 Buy It Now 4 days
JACKYL-DOWN ON ME/PETER GABRIEL-STEAM/ U-MATIC COMP PROMO MUSIC VIDEOS + DVD US $5.99 [0 bids]
Genesis - from the Beginning DVD Tony Banks, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, Steve US $15.38 Buy It Now 5 days
Japan LD PETER GABRIEL All About Us "Real World" Digging in the dirt, Stream US $29.70 Buy It Now 5 days
PETER GABRIEL - SECRET WORLD LIVE (VHS) 1994 GEFFEN GENESIS US $1.99 [0 bids]
Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live (VHS, 1994) - Concert Video - Booklet Included US $2.99 [0 bids]
Computer Animation Festival Volume 2 - Rare CGI - Peter Gabriel's "Steam" Video US $6.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Duma (DVD, 2006) Peter Gabriel US $5.00 [0 bids]
EDIE FALCO rare DVD BLIND LIGHT songs by PETER GABRIEL van morrison Laurie Ander US $39.99 Buy It Now 6 days
MARTIN SCORSESE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST WILLEM DAFOE PETER GABRIEL BOWIE LD US $0.99 [0 bids]
LAST TEMPTATION of CHRIST DVD Scorsese PETER GABRIEL INTERVIEW jesus CRITERION US $17.99 Buy It Now 6 days
CLASSIC ALBUMS: Peter Gabriel's SO [DVD, 2012] - NEW! - Kate Bush, Sledgehammer US $0.88 [0 bids]
NEW ~ vhs ~ SAY ANYTHING ~ JOHN CUSACK - JOHN MAHONEY - IONE SKYE peter Gabriel US $2.95 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL: SO CLASSIC ALBUM (2012) NEW DVD US $18.80 Buy It Now 6 days
PETER GABRIEL: DON'T GIVE UP (801944130248) - NEW DVD US $7.67 Buy It Now 6 days
PETER GABRIEL "POV" VHS 1990 US $4.00 [0 bids]
IMMACULATE ROCK LASERDISC: PETER GABRIEL SECRET WORLD LIVE Image GATEFOLD US $19.99 Buy It Now 6 days
DVD Alan Parker BIRDY Matthew Modine Nicolas Cage Peter Gabriel music WS R1 OOP US $13.31 Buy It Now 6 days
PETER GABRIEL: NEW BLOOD - LIVE IN LONDON [BLU-RAY] - NEW BLU-RAY US $12.25 Buy It Now 7 days
PETER GABRIEL**BACK TO FRONT: LIVE IN LONDON (DELUXE)**2 BLU-RAY + 2 CD + BOOK US $41.95 Buy It Now 7 days
BIRDY ALLAN PARKER MUSIC BY PETER GABRIEL PAL VHS A RARE FIND~ US $56.11 Buy It Now 7 days
PETER GABRIEL New Blood DVD BRAND NEW/SEALED US $7.52 Buy It Now 7 days
PETER GABRIEL: NEW BLOOD - LIVE IN LONDON [DVD] [1 DISC] - NEW DVD US $9.78 Buy It Now 7 days
Peter Gabriel POV (VHS) GREAT MUSIC US $5.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Peter Gabriel: Back to Front (Blu-ray Disc, 2014, 4-Disc Set, Limited... US $39.08 Buy It Now 7 days
Classic Albums: Peter Gabriel - So (DVD, 2012) US $7.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live (DVD, 2003) Excellent! US $12.99 Buy It Now 7 days
PETER GABRIEL New Sealed 2014 BEST OF LIVE CONCERT & VIDEOS DVD Great Gift Idea! US $21.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Peter Gabriel DVD Growing Up Live Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Hukwe Zaw 2003 US $16.99 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL**SECRET WORLD LIVE (RESTORED AND REMASTERED)**DVD US $10.47 Buy It Now 8 days
Freedom Beat Artists Against Apartheid UK Laserdisc LD Sting Peter Gabriel RARE US $23.99 Buy It Now 8 days
PETER GABRIEL LIVE IN ATHEMS 1987 + PLAY THE VIDEOS ARGENTINA NEW 2 DVD SET US $30.05 Buy It Now 8 days
Peter Gabriel Secret World Live VHS Tape RARE US $10.00 Buy It Now 8 days
Peter Gabriel - CV (VHS) Brand New! RARE US $10.00 Buy It Now 8 days
PETER GABRIEL CV RARE PAL VHS VIDEO US $23.34 Buy It Now 8 days
PETER GABRIEL POV RARE VHS VIDEO TAPE US $37.37 Buy It Now 8 days
Peter Gabriel: Back to Front (Blu-ray Disc, 2014) US $18.08 Buy It Now 8 days
Peter Gabriel: New Blood - Live in London (Blu-ray Disc, 2011) US $12.00 Buy It Now 9 days
PETER GABRIEL: NEW BLOOD NEW DVD US $20.57 Buy It Now 9 days
Peter Gabriel: New Blood - Live in London DVD US $6.54 Buy It Now 9 days
VHS 1990 PETER GABRIEL - PoV VIDEO MUSIC CASSETTE with COVER US $9.99 Buy It Now 9 days
VHS PETER GABRIEL - CV VIDEO MUSIC CASSETTE with COVER US $9.99 Buy It Now 9 days
New DVD Peter Gabriel Live in Athens 1987 Peter Gabriel F/S from Japan US $96.99 Buy It Now 9 days
PETER GABRIEL New 2014 Ltd 25th SO Anniversary LIVE CONCERT 2 DVD US $59.99 Buy It Now 9 days
PETER GABRIEL SECRET WORLD LIVE 1994 -NTSC FS. US $19.99 Buy It Now 9 days
GENESIS "A HISTORY OF GENESIS" VHS 1990 PETER GABRIEL US $9.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Japan LD : PETER GABRIEL YOUSSOU N'DOUR PoV laserdisc US $28.95 Buy It Now 10 days
Gabriel P-Peter Gabriel-So Classic Album US $8.47 Buy It Now 10 days
PETER GABRIEL - SECRET WORLD NEW BLURAY US $24.30 Buy It Now 10 days
Peter Gabriel - Back To Front - Live In London NEW Blu-Ray US $24.38 Buy It Now 11 days
DANIEL LANOIS: ROCKY WORLD LASERDISC U2 BRIAN ENO BOB DYLAN PETER GABRIEL SEALED US $99.99 Buy It Now 11 days
Peter Gabriel: Back to Front (Blu-ray Disc, 2014) US $12.65 Buy It Now 11 days
Peter Gabriel - Growing Up Live (2003) - Used - Digital Video Disc US $7.98 Buy It Now 11 days
Classic Albums: Peter Gabriel - So - Blu-ray NEW AND SEALED BLU-RAY US $9.99 Buy It Now 11 days

More places to buy PETER GABRIEL music online Buy PETER GABRIEL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PETER GABRIEL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PETER GABRIEL Secret World Live ratings distribution

PETER GABRIEL Secret World Live reviews

Review by Gatot
5 stars This live performance took place almost one decade before the "Growing UP" video, but the overall quality of the show was also remarkable. Of course, Gabriel looked much younger and much more energetic - stage act wise. Having, seen the amazing show of "Growing UP" dvd I still enjoy - very much - the "Secret World" video. Before the DVD came out in 2003, I had the laser disc video and audio CD that I purchased sometime in 1995. Due to the availability of technology at that time there were different set list between audio and video version. The video version contained "San Jacinto" that I love it very much but did not have the "Red Rain" (which actually I love as well). While the audio CD had the other way around: it had "Red Rain" but did not have the "San Jacinto". It's funny then when the DVD version was released in 2003, "Red Rain" was not included despite the larger capacity of DVD. Well, it's probably the video master in this part has lost or gone. The show line-up includes Manu Katche (drums), Tony Levin (bass, vocals), Paula Cole (vocals), Peter Gabriel (lead vocals, keys), David Rhodes (guitar, vocals), Jean Claude Naimro (keys, vocals), Shankar (violin, vocals), Levon Minassian (doudouk). The huge stage was designed by Robert Leppage. The live show took place on 16-17 November 1993 at Palasport Nuovo, Modena, Italy. Well, I don't know why Peter Gabriel (and Leppage of course) always choose Italy as the venue for live video shoot. It's probably Italy is the largest fan base for Peter Gabriel.

Overall, this is an amazing show of Peter Gabriel to promote "US" album that was released around the time of the show. Regardless you are a fan of Peter Gabriel or just a music buff, you would enjoy this video. It's a wonderful live act featuring best tracks of Gabriel until "US" album. It starts off excellently with "Come Talk to Me" where Gabriel sings inside the telephone booth. His stage act is fantastic where he sings with a theatrical style in confident manner. Paula Cole who appeared suddenly on stage through a hatch at stage that has an access underneath the relatively tall stage floor. It's a very nice duet with great solo drum. Yeah .. Manu Katche rules! I like his drumming style and sound. I guess, Manu Katche is one of the best rock drummers in the world. IMHO his style is similar with Phil Collins drumming with intense influence of African and world music. Bravo Katche! You did a great job throughout the show!

"Steam" is performed differently compared to studio version. The intro part has been added with a melodic segment, in ambient style, featuring Gabriel speaks Italian and some additional singing of "In your steam, we learn everything we've seen .." (or something like that..). Despite the disco nature of this track but I love it very very much, especially in this live version. I like the part where Rhodes and Levin walks to the front direction of the stage with almost the same body language when they voice "Stand back! Stand back!" . uughh man . what a wonderful shot! Well, I think the beauty of this track is on the uniformity of stage acts of three guys: Rhodes, Levin and Gabriel. "Across the River - Slow Marimbas" features Shankar on violin. "Blood of Eden" is my favorite track and performed amazingly by the duet of Gabriel - Cole. It's a mellow track with a great melody and composition. "In the blood of Eden lie the woman and the man ." what a tasty melody this segment is! "San Jacinto" is another favorite as well. The tempo is slow but the way this song was composed has made it "heavy" to my ears. It has powerful textures that project the song to have an emotional impact to listeners. I feel it that way whenever I listen to this track from Gabriel 4th album "Security". The music is basically empty with a lot of quiet passages but it creates a powerful nuances, especially performed live! "I hold the line - the line of strength that pulls me through the fear ..".

"Washing of the Water" is even a much more quiet track featuring mostly the powerful voice of Gabriel - the instruments sound appear very thin at the back, accompanying Gabriel's voice. Lyric-wise, this track is probably best to describe the tsunami experience that has just happened recently on 26 December 2004 in my country. Look at the lyrics:

"So deep, so wide will you take me on your back for a ride / If I should fall would you swallow me deep inside/ River, show me how to float / I feel like I'm sinking down. / Thought that I could get along. / But here in this water. / My feet won't touch the ground / I need something to turn myself around" "Going away, away toward the sea/ .. / Letting go, it's so hard/ The it's hurting now/ To get this love untied / So tough to stay with this thing ."

[Sorry for being melancholic. The real situation is really bad in areas impacted by tsunami, especially on rainy situation nowadays - thousand people have no shelter. With a great music like Gabriel's creation, I symphatize to the root and feel deeply connected with the people who are suffering with this disaster. -- Would appreciate if Peter Gabriel come over to Indonesia doing a gig for the people impacted by tsunami. He did visit Bali couple years ago for travel pleasure and sound experiments with other three top notch musicians. No gig at that time.]

I also like the modified intro of "Sledgehammer" where Peter Gabriel steps into the stage with a predetermined motion accompanied by a bass and drum in quiet mood. Whwn he reaches at the front of the stage then the music starts to hammer the audience. In "Secret World" there is a huge dome that moves down from top to the stage floor when the song ends. This is probably the trademark of this live set while in "Growing UP" Gabriel uses huge steel platform. "Don't Give Up" is another excellent track, performed flawlessly by the band. I like the positive lyrics of this track.

Well, sorry for long review. You don't have to read actually. For me personally, this show is so great that it deserves a review as thick as Dan Brown's "Da Vinci Code" novel, I think. I can do that, but I'm sure that you will not be interested with it at all - as I'm not a novelist .. BUY THIS DVD!! And . Keep on Progging!!

Progressively yours,

GW - Indonesia.

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#33506) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
5 stars I've already done a review about the album Secret World, and I gave Peter only four stars, rating that I believe is too high for the CD, but there's no 3.5 stars which would be the exact rating for an album full of good music but that doesn't offer something really new, especially when we can't see the show.

But the case of he DVD is absolutely different, because we must judge not only the music (which excellent in most of the tracks), but also the show and the skills of Peter Gabriel to deal with the audience.

I'll start with the act, the beginning with the telephone booth and all the band rising from the floor is simply spectacular, especially because the dynamics of the song Come Talk to Me is ideal for the show, Paula Cole's voice even when not perfect is good enough for the purpose of the concert and the chemistry between Peter and Paula works perfectly. A delightful track with a spectacular show, surely one of the best of the DVD.

Another highlight is in Gabriel's hymn, which can't be other than Solsbury Hill, the syncopated movements of Peter, Tony Levin and David Rhodes and the great violin by Shankar, give the visual and musical aid that the track needs, much better than the bicycle ride that Gabriel used in Growing Up.

Of course I couldn't forget la piece de resistance (Secret World) this atmospheric track that has a clear Genesis influence is incredible, Peter does a fair job at the keyboards and the joke with bag is the perfect first ending for a concert.

Even Gabriel's weakest songs like Sledgehammer and Don't Give Up seem fresh in this DVD. The first one for the almost Olympic run that Peter did with no effort (when he had 50 pounds less) and the reaction of the crowd, something that in this case that I don't understand, really people seem to love this track.

But Don't give Up is a special case, I can't resist this song even with the great Kate Bush or even with Sinead O'Connor in the Amnesty International concert, but there's something special in Paula Cole's voice that makes this version less dangerous for the diabetes patients and more human, even when she fails the high notes sounds great.

About Peter's skills with the audience there's not much to talk, everybody knows he always had a special connection with the crowd, even when he was the frontman of a band like Genesis that almost nobody liked he was loved by the fans, but with the years this has improved, he doesn't need costumes or weird stories, just his personality.

If the CD deserved 3.5 stars, the DVD deserves IMHO 10 stars, so I'll give the highest rating possible in Prog Archives, 5 very solid stars and consider the DVD among my 2 or 3 all time favorites.

If you like Peter Gabriel's music and show, buy the CD, I promise you won't regret.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#33507) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Review by Peter
5 stars Are you a Peter Gabriel fan? If so, have I got a show for you! The SECRET WORLD LIVE DVD provides the best seat in the house for a fantastic 1994 performance in Modena, Italy, during Gabriel's bravura "Secret World Live Tour."

The DVD captures Gabriel (replete with hair, ladies -- unlike on the later "Growing Up" tour!) at the height of his powers, and the master performer is joined by an absolutely top-notch band (who, even by themselves, would have represented a fabulous ticket!) We get the inimitable, long-term Gabriel band mate and stellar session man Tony Levin on bass, Gabriel's regular axesmith (and friend -- it shows) David Rhodes on guitar, and the incomparable Manu Katche making it all look easy behind the drum kit. Add to that "can't miss" equation the lovely and talented Paula Cole on backing vocals, violinist extraordinaire Shankar on a unusual, haunting-sounding double instrument, and newcomer Jean Claude Naimro expertly providing main keyboard duties, and you have the tasty ingredients of an aural and visual feast. (This is an awesome band, and the great pleasure they take in performing Gabriel's material is apparent throughout, with all concerned exuding infectious charisma and camaraderie.) The choreography, cutting-edge stage setup and accompanying technology is unique and artful in itself, and to top it all off, there is a guest appearance by African associate Papa Wemba and Molokai (his troupe of colourful singers/dancers) during the jubilant finale.

The material presented is, of course, superb, and includes flawless and energetic versions of favourites like "Steam," "Shaking the Tree," "Blood of Eden," "San Jacinto," "Solsbury Hill" (if the joyous performance of that one doesn't make you grin and sing along, you have a real problem!), "Digging in the Dirt," "Sledgehammer," the title track, the achingly beautiful "Don't Give Up" (Cole shines in Kate Bush's old part!), and a sublime, life-affirming version of "In Your Eyes" to close the show. Watching this magnificent DVD is a truly uplifting experience, and my whole family (including two kids, ages 9 & 12) really love this disc!

If you don't yet have a DVD player with surround sound, I urge you to invest in one as soon as possible, because performances like SECRET WORLD LIVE are a music lover's dream come true! Worth every penny, and then some, this is one that Gabriel's many fans will want to experience again and again. No reservations whatsoever: five well-deserved stars. A MUST!

Send comments to Peter (BETA) | Report this review (#33510) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 17, 2005

Review by memowakeman
5 stars Marvelous!

What can i say about Peter Gabriel that has not been said?, nothing...

Maybe i will repeat of the things that the most of the people refer to him, in his concerts, his theatrical performance, his superb voice, and his show in the concert, everything is just great. Secret World Live is an album, or in this case a DVD which show us the best of Peter Gabriel, i wish i was there , i saw him in Mexico, it was great, emotional , but not as excellent as in this DVD for example.

Fifteen songs , but 15 greeeat songs are here in this show, starting with Come Talk to Me, which show us since the beggining the road of the Video and concert, Peter is singing while he´s in a telephone box, some kind of act, and that´s in the most of the songs, one thing that i love here is that every Gabriel fan could be happy with the song selection, evrything from happy and danceable songs, to softer and calm tunes, passing for challenging and classic music, i mean you will stand up when you listen to Steam for example, but then with the ebautiful Blood of Eden you will close your eyes and enjoy the beauty of the music. In this tour we can see great musicians such as Tony Levin (who has his own show) and the exquisite prescence of drummer Manu Katche, also with the traditional african crew and sound that Gabriel has always loved and well placed in his songs.

As a video i think is great, because you will keep the eye on it without separate it, all the momenst are great, not really a weak point, besides music is great, the quality sound awesome and all the images, the performances are sooo great, that im sure you could love it without being a Gabriel solo fan, ery enjoyable and higly recommendable.

For sure 5 stars... easy!!!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#33512) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 02, 2005

Review by Zitro
4 stars I prefer the other live DVD, because this one is very poppy and contains few prog .. but the music sounds great, Peter's voice sounds better here (he's younger), the songs have great melodies, a great female vocalist, and of course, it is a good upbeat show.

The highlight of the DVD for me has to be In Your Eyes ... It is already a beautiful song, but here it is stretched and played with perfection. It is musical ecstacy.

My Grade: B+

Send comments to Zitro (BETA) | Report this review (#41740) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 05, 2005

Review by Cluster One
4 stars From his early days as a singing flower, to his most recent "Growing Up" Tour Peter Gabriel has always been a very visual performer. His 1994 "Secret World" Live Tour is no different. From revolving video screensand bottomless suitcases, to phone booths and a unique treadmill stage, Gabriel's Secret World stage show is a visual extravaganza that is entertaining to the viewer. Almost every song performed during this tour seems to have some sort of unique feature to it, making the show at times intimate, and at other times fun.

While frequently eye-catching (especially the camera work in 'Digging In The Dirt'!), the focus on visual stimuli at times does take away from what should be the central focus of any performer: the music. The DVD medium is visual after all, so most fans should appreciate the the work Gabriel and crew put together.

The music for the tour is primarily from Gabriel's 1992 studio album "Us", and is predominantly more 'pop' than 'progressive'. It is enjoyable, but connaisseurs of Gabriel's earlier (read: more progressive) albums might be disappointed with the sparse few songs representing this part of his solo career. Only 'San Jacinto' and 'Solsbury Hill' make an appearance, the former being quite moving and memorable, and the latter, surprisingly, coming across as quite bland and poppy.

The musicianship, as frequently noted in other reviews, is top-notch! I always get a kick seeing Tony Levin (of Crimson fame) playing Gabriel's more easy-going grooves. Seems like night and day when you compare his work with latter-day Fripp vs latter-day Gabriel music. Both excellent in their own right, but you can not get two more different styles!

There is a flaw that I'd like to point out about this DVD film of the Secret World show. That is the audio sync. It seems (even though not all that noticable) that the audio used for the film doesn't always sync up with what is actually being sung. This is not to say that Gabriel et al are lip-syncing! (Far from it) It just appears that maybe different versions of songs (from shows other than the night the film was recorded) are/were used at times.

An excellent, and visually pleasing film. Recommended, especially to latter-day Gabrielites!

Send comments to Cluster One (BETA) | Report this review (#47285) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 19, 2005

Review by Chris S
4 stars This is a good DVD and visual performance from Peter Gabriel, Tony Levin and company. Peter Gabriel has the personal prescence as usual in driving his message home. There are some great ' jamming' moments too at certain times on the DVD. The quality is superb and I would have to highlight the following tracks from a live visual performance. Production wise we all know Gabriel will get the sound right! ' Across The River'- magical stuff ' San Jacinto' - beautifully done and arguably his best song ever ' Washing of the Water' ' Solsbury Hill' - still brilliant and ageless ' In Your Eyes'- A great way to end of a spectacular live performance. Recommended to all diehard Gabriel fans, you probably own this already

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#102529) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 11, 2006

Review by evenless
4 stars As I have already mentioned in the "UP" review I kind of lost track of PG after the "US" album until my brother had purchased the wonderful live DVD "Growing Up Live". This DVD made me more PG hungry sort of speak. So after buying "Growing Up Live" myself I purchased the excellent "UP" followed by this DVD: "Secret World Live".

I must admit that my personal preference goes out to "Growing Up Live". Having said that I must add that "Growing Up Live" has won by a small margin, since "Secret World Live" is also a wonderful DVD.

I agree with Zitro: all 15 tracks on this DVD are gems, but "In Your Eyes" really stands out. All instrumentation is played to perfection and once again a PG DVD is not just to enjoy the music itself. PG really uses the medium to the max by creating a great show and it seems he is really enjoying to do so. PG's DVD's are there to be watched, preferably with the sound cranked up a bit, as if you were attending the concert yourself.

4 stars once again easily deserved.

(I will save the 5 star rating for "the other live DVD" )

Send comments to evenless (BETA) | Report this review (#109827) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
4 stars This is a really great concert film from my personal favorite phase of Peter Gabriel's solo career. Captured from the performance in Globen of Stockholm, the impressive musician line-up breathes healing life to Peter's compositions from "Us" album and the classics from 1980's recordings. Tony Levin plays the bass guitar, Manu Katché evokes both rhythmic and melodic tones from the drum set, and there are also visits of Shankar on violin and Paula Cole singing the supportive vocals. The fine melancholic and ethnically colored compositions allow a pleasant evening of 1990's artistic pop/rock aesthetics, and also giving some stimulation to the senses seeking any intellectual aspects from the music too. Touching "Come Talk to Me" opens the set, showing us some of the stage mechanics of the concert hall. Some favorite picks here are the melodic and peaceful numbers like "Blood of Eden" and "Washing of the Water", but the band manages also to kick out some nice afro grooves from the positive rocker songs too. "Digging in The Dirt" works here well, melting with the man's hit "Sledgehammer", which is the best version of this song I have yet heard. Also the long "Secret World" is a truly powerful highlight here. One of my most favored pop/rock concert films from modern times, focusing to my fascination of being able to see the musicians and trying to get impressions from the concert event. Though I grow to unlearn my personal contradictions towards studio recorded albums, the live concert stage remains as the optimal context for sensing musicians' emotions and searching channels between the artist and audience on short strands of our experiencers on the vast oceans of space-time.

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#113095) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 22, 2007

Review by Chicapah
5 stars When it comes to music DVDs I find the majority of concert videos rather boring after one viewing, to be perfectly frank. Multiple shots of sweaty, posing rockers from every angle imaginable only goes so far with me. That's what makes this great live show even more special because it never fails to entertain and surprise. I've already posted my rave review of the CD of "Secret World Live" so I'll just concentrate on the visuals this time.

Sadly, I've never seen Peter Gabriel in person (although he's still on my list) so this may be the closest I ever come to experiencing the thrill and, in that sense alone, I feel that I now know exactly what it would be like due to this footage. Obviously the man is a charismatic performance artist that knows how to engage his audience and give them something they will remember forever.

Acute anticipation is registered clearly on the faces of the crowd as they hold lighters high in the darkened arena, waiting for the extravaganza to begin. A single red phone booth suddenly rises from the stage with Peter inside, lit from below as the opening strains of "Come Talk to Me" fill the room. Soon he is joined by his fantastic band members as they, too, rise from beneath. The door finally opens and Gabriel bursts out clutching the phone to his ear, the wire stretching and stretching like some existential umbilical cord as he fights and struggles to move away from the confines of the booth to reach the svelte Paula Cole who stands beckoning and singing to him from the second stage. It's a stunning, arresting way to start a show. (I also must mention that the close-up of drummer extraordinaire Manu Katche allows you a brief and rare glimpse of the man's passionate and powerful skills.) On the lively "Steam" Tony Levin on bass and David Rhodes on guitar accentuate Peter's theatrics by falling right into step with him before he takes the song right to the crowd out on the circular stage #2 in the middle of the hall. The dramatic aura the group creates on the instrumentals "Across the River" and "Slow Marimbas" as Gabriel picks up a long oar and steers the group gracefully out to stage #2 is awesome. This is no ordinary "Hello, Cleveland!" rock & roll gig, that's for sure.

As they start up the spirited "Shaking the Tree," lo and behold a modest-sized tree grows out of the middle of the stage as Peter & Co. dance joyfully around it throughout the tune. The honest energy and enthusiasm displayed by the band is impossible to fake and you can see they're having the time of their lives right on their faces. Their professionalism and total commitment to Gabriel's performance is exhilarating. With the tree still in place they next deliver the poignant "Blood of Eden" as the stage becomes fully bathed in dense red light. The subtle mood they establish shifts the emphasis to the emotional singing of Peter and Paula. "San Jacinto" may be the highlight of the concert for me but perhaps that's just because I love the song so much. Gabriel's expressive hand and body gesturing as he glides along the peninsula between the two stages is mesmerizing. A strikingly large picture of a full moon towers in front of him as he makes his slow journey and at the end his undulating shadow is projected up on the huge screen like the phantom ghost of some Native American medicine man. It's a perfect scene to compliment the haunting, eerie atmosphere the band creates.

Book-ending their soulful rendition of "Washing of the Water," the incredibly hot and funky "Kiss that Frog" and the universally recognized "Solsbury Hill" both demonstrate how choreographed moves don't have to come off as being hopelessly corny or awkward. It's a fact that no one here will ever be mistaken for Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly, but Peter and his bandmates are simply having a ball and they aren't bashful about showing it. It's hard to believe these highly-esteemed, cream-of-the-crop musicians are having so much fun at the workplace. "Digging in the Dirt" is one bizarre detour off the interstate highway, though. Gabriel's stationary head-cam provides a freaky, slightly disorienting yet undeniably imaginative point of view that's unlike anything you've ever seen at a rock show. On the driving "Sledgehammer" Peter, Paula, Tony and David traverse the two stages freely, completely involving the gyrating audience that surrounds them.

Gabriel begins the magnificently sublime "Secret World" at his keyboard, then moves out to front the group as they trek through the ever-changing moods of the song. Pulsating strobe lights help to emphasize the torrid jam at the end before a row of travel cases comes streaming down a conveyor belt toward the band like lost refugees from an airport's baggage claim. Peter picks up the largest trunk and carries it out to the middle of the room where one by one each of the musicians walk away from their instruments, step inside of it and disappear from sight. Tony Levin, naturally a favorite with the audience by now, bids a reluctant adieu to his adoring fans before being the last to leave. Gabriel then closes up the bag and walks to stage #2 where a massive canopy drops over him. It's all very cool, folks, very cool. When it lifts for the encores the whole group and their equipment has reappeared as they play a somber version of "Don't Give Up" on a stark set. It works beautifully for this heart- wrenching tune. The concert ends with their phenomenally euphoric version of "In Your Eyes" that draws every person in the place (as well as the viewer at home) under its spell as the magic of tribal, celebratory dancing casts its irresistible charm over all in attendance. The arena nearly levitates. Wow.

If you've never quite figured out why Peter Gabriel is still considered one of the greatest performers to ever grace a rock & roll stage then you owe it to yourself to see this. The music is outrageously stunning and the visuals are breathtaking. You get the whole package. This is Mr. Gabriel at his peak of popularity and middle-age vitality and I have no problem in proclaiming it the best live DVD ever. It's that good. 5 very bright stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#134738) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 24, 2007

Review by friso
1 stars This is so boring! A girlfriend of mine bought the dvd and so I got a bit interested being a fan of the old Genesis. Quite a dissapointment. For hardcore popmusic this is even a bad liveshow. I don't understand what might be the relation with this music and progressive rock. It is to simple for crossoverprog and progrelated. It must be the reputation of this once great artist that convinced a lot of people. Further a lot of symphonic amplification is used, but not in order to make atsmospheres. It reminds me of the latest Pink Floyd work.. without a soul, without a goal... without meaning. Like the music is composed by a chordgenerator on an msdos computer. No, I realy can't share the opinion of the most people that voted this dvd even in the top 20 best progdvd's ever. It just ain't prog. It just ain't interesting too. One star...

Send comments to friso (BETA) | Report this review (#178186) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 25, 2008

Review by progkidjoel
5 stars Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live DVD

Review by progkidjoel

Peter Gabriel is a brilliant songwriter, and one of the few who can do what he does with such mastery and finesse in studio in a live setting. This DVD proves this, without a doubt. It contains a brilliant setlist, showing a range of Peter Gabriel's possible musical genres and expressions, from pop to full blown prog, and it does this all in a brilliantly majestic performance. Nearly every track is a highlight on this one, particularly SOLSBURY HILL (a personal favourite) which is a brilliant pop tune with massive prog overtones, and is played fantastically in this live performance with Peter Gabriel and his crew. IN YOUR EYES also stands out massively because of its massively energetic performance.

This is recorded fantastically, and leaves little to desire sonically. TONY LEVIN gives a powerful and energetic performance on the bass and Chapman Stick in this particular concert, and PAULA COLE does the same on vocals. The camera angles are always appropriate and engaging, and does what many live recordings find difficult to do - Show the audience what is appropriate 90% of the time.

A fantastic DVD, and easily reccomendable to nearly any prog (or in this case pop) music lover.

Enjoy, and buy it!

-Joel

Send comments to progkidjoel (BETA) | Report this review (#213126) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 01, 2009

4 stars Peter Gabriel has of course a name to hold up when it comes to playing live. So I was pretty curious to see this show, decades after I've seen him perform live myself. And great this is!! The stage setting is absolutely awesome, with the musicians standing 'in the round'. The lighting is superb ... (read more)

Report this review (#301307) | Posted by Theo Verstrael | Friday, October 01, 2010 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Many times people take for granted a name, or a brand, based on previous success. This is what happens here. I ve read these reviews and man, was I impatient to get this DVD. And I have to say I was very disapointed. Peter Gabriel who I know from Genesis is performing pop-rock for a couple of ... (read more)

Report this review (#86767) | Posted by | Friday, August 11, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This DVD is awsome! Apart from the good songs it's got, the whole visual thing is just amazing! Peter and his band sound really cool, here. The concert was really well made: it had a large stange featuring a square-shaped one, then a long kind of corridor and anotherone round-shaped. The ban ... (read more)

Report this review (#62912) | Posted by | Monday, January 02, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars An Excellent addition to any prog music collection, that is what this amazing live show is. I have ti admit the temptation I had to put the 5 stars. But I don't do that often I'm afraid, and this is not a "masterpiece of prog music", but the best show I've seen on video in my whole life. Perfe ... (read more)

Report this review (#38800) | Posted by | Thursday, July 07, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Just got through watching this for the 1st time and now got it going for a 2nd time. Never seen Pete solo, just with Genesis in ' 72. Absolutely terrific! His theactrics still mesmorizing and tasteful. His magic tricks still there, (remember the black hood and white gloves trick with Genesis?) ... (read more)

Report this review (#33511) | Posted by marktheshark | Friday, April 22, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars A show that should not be missed...I, as a Genesis (Gabriel's era), always dream of seeing some old material from Genesis in their hey-day, sadly it seems that this kind of document is not available. But you see this one and you just recreate what it would have been if we can have some of that ... (read more)

Report this review (#33505) | Posted by Carlos | Monday, December 27, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PETER GABRIEL "Secret World Live"