PICTURE

Kino Picture album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy KINO Music
Studio Album, released in 2005

1. Losers' Day Parade (9:03)
2. Letting Go (5:25)
3. Leaving A Light On (6:17)
4. Swimming in Women (5:22)
5. People (6:07)
6. All You See (5:08)
7. Perfect Tense (4:16)
8. Room for Two (3:43)
9. Holding On (7:08)
10. Picture (2:22)

Search KINO Picture lyrics

Search KINO Picture tabs

- John Beck / keyboards (It Bites)
- John Mitchell / vocals, guitar (Arena / The Urbane)
- Chris Maitland / drums (Ex-Porcupine Tree)
- Pete Trawavas / bass (Marillion)

CD SPV / InsideOut SPV 085-40822 (2005)

and to Joolz for the last updates

KINO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KINO Picture Music

PicturePicture
Inside Out U.S. 2005
Blood Type (Gruppa Krovi)Blood Type (Gruppa Krovi)
Black Album (Cherny Albom)Black Album (Cherny Albom)
Kino - Luchshee vol 2 / Kino - Greatest hits vol 2Kino - Luchshee vol 2 / Kino - Greatest hits vol 2
Double CD
A Star named A Star named "Sun" (Zvezda po imeni "Solntse")
Kino (Viktor Tsoy ) - Blood Type / Gruppa Krovi (CD) US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 29m
KINO (MARILLION/IT BITES/PORCUPINE TREE) - MAGAZINE CUTTINGS COLLECTION (REF R1) US $11.54 Buy It Now 3h 9m
Skullflower - Kino III:Xaman - DPROMCD97 US $22.19 Buy It Now 4h 51m
Skullflower - Kino IV:Black Sun Rising - DPROMCD98 US $22.19 Buy It Now 4h 51m
Skullflower - Kino I:Birthdeath - DPROMCD95 US $22.19 Buy It Now 4h 51m
Skullflower - Kino II:Form Destroyer - DPROMCD96 US $22.19 Buy It Now 4h 51m
LJOVA - LOST IN KINO NEW CD US $27.74 Buy It Now 5h 41m
KINO "Night" LP Russian Rock US $15.00 [0 bids]
Stare Dobre Malzenstwo - Kino objazdowe (CD 2 disc) 2002 NEW US $32.00 Buy It Now 16h 29m
Neon by The Urbane (CD 1999 Verglas) John Mitchell Arena It Bites Kino US $5.00 Buy It Now 18h 22m
Glitter by The Urbane (CD, Sep-2003, Inside Out Music) John Mitchell Arena Kino US $26.25 Buy It Now 18h 23m
KINO (big) room in my heart CHS 12 2974 uk chrysalis 1986 12" PS EX/EX wol US $15.11 Buy It Now 1 day
Kino Watson: True 2 the Game (EU 1996 Sony Music CD) US $2.90 Buy It Now 1 day
New and Sealed KINO Victor Choi Black Album/It's Not Love Yedang Korea 2CD US $149.99 [0 bids]
Kino Kino CD US $3.25 Buy It Now 1 day
Rankiaera [PA] by Kino Rankins (CD, Apr-2004, Universal Music Latino) US $1.00 [0 bids]
KINO - Kontsert v Rok-Klube 2 / ???? ?- ??????? ? ???-????? 2 ( 10 Tracks ) US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
ARSEN DEDIC KINO SLOBODA , CROATIAN SINGER/SONGWRITER YUGOSLAV LP US $34.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MIKY ONE DJ/DJ KINO - To Be Able To Love - 12" US $16.26 Buy It Now 1 day
KINO WATSON GAME RECOGNIZE GAME [WHATCHA WANT] 3TRK PROMO CD US $4.00 [0 bids]
LOWE - KINO INTERNATIONAL - NEW CD US $19.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Lot of 4 Rap and Hip Hop: Dr. Dre, Kino, Puff Daddy, Twise, 12" Singles US $3.99 [0 bids]
KANT KINO - WE ARE KANT KINO YOU ARE TOO * - NEW CD BOXSET US $66.71 Buy It Now 1 day
Petit Chara! Series - Sailor Moon Puchitto Gakuen Seikatsu yo! Hen 6Pack BOX US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
KINO TSOI MOROZ RECORDS RUSSIA VERY RARE LP LAMINATED envelope US $100.00 [0 bids]
Kino (Big) Room In My Heart 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) UK CHS122974 US $19.85 Buy It Now 2 days
Kino (Viktor Tsoy ) -Greatest hits 2 CD -luchshee chast 2-part 2- Russian CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SOUNDTRACK ~ ASSA / AKVARIUM, GREBENSHIKOV, KINO, TSOY ???????? ???? ??? CD NEW US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Kino (Viktor Tsoy ) - Luchshee Chast' 1 (2CD) US $16.99 Buy It Now 2 days
NENA "KINO" 12" GERMAN VERSION 2.42 /AT THE MOVIES 2.58 US $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
CD/ Kino "Best songs". Viktor Tsoy. Russian rock music. US $10.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Kino Watson Bring It On 12" Vinyl Single 1996 From True 2 The Game US $2.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ESPLENDOR GEOMETRICO Kosmos Kino LP/1987 Spain/Top Electro-Industrial/Ltd.700 US $32.99 Buy It Now 2 days
R+B PROMO CD-PUFF JOHNSON-KENNY LATTIMORE-KINO-MAXWELL-RARE-1996-9 TRACKS US $3.50 Buy It Now 2 days
KINO Blood Group (CD) [Victor Tsoj] US $12.70 Buy It Now 3 days
Arsen Dedic - Kino sloboda US $8.00 Buy It Now 3 days
KINO (SYNTH POP) room in my heart 7" b/w ugh ugh (chs2974) pic slv uk chrysalis US $8.29 Buy It Now 3 days
Nena - Leuchtturm / Kino 12" # CBS A 12.3186 mint vinyl unplayed cover excellent US $8.29 Buy It Now 3 days
1996 KINO Watson Bring It On 12" CAS-7748 NM Vinyl Play Tested US $3.60 Buy It Now 4 days
LOWE - KINO INTERNATIONAL - MHCD05 US $19.61 Buy It Now 4 days
Stars of the Soviet Cinema / Zvezdy sovetskogo kino, vol.2 (CD) US $7.99 Buy It Now 4 days
KANT KINO - FATHER WORKED IN INDUSTRY - AM1191 US $26.94 Buy It Now 4 days
KANT KINO - FATHER WORKED IN INDUSTRY (LIMITED) - AM2191 US $73.24 Buy It Now 4 days
ALEXEY RYBIN Asfalt - KINO Covers (Viktor Tsoy) CD US $29.90 Buy It Now 4 days
BIRD OF PARADISE: KINO CLASSICS EDITION NEW DVD US $28.13 Buy It Now 4 days
KANT KINO - FATHER WORKED IN INDUSTRY [BOX] - NEW CD BOXSET US $50.22 Buy It Now 4 days
KINO & TSOY ~ THE LAST RECORDINGS / ????????? ?????? ??? ???? CD NEW US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
KINO & TSOY ~ '45' SOROK PYAT / ????? ???? ??? ???? REM CD NEW US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
CD True 2 the Game Kino Watson US $4.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Victor Tsoi & Kino "Grand collection" Compilation CD Russian Rock US $9.99 [0 bids]
Kino - Kino CD = Rock/Pop [Promo CD] Orpheus Records [VGC] tests well US $6.48 [0 bids]
AN I - Kino I - 160 gram fluorescent yellow vinyl 12" US $25.06 Buy It Now 5 days
VICTOR TSOJ '20 Years Without'(CD,DIGIPAK,2010)[KINO] US $14.60 Buy It Now 5 days
Russian Rock 77 CD Akvarium DDT Kino Piknik Chaif Voskresenie Agata Kristi Linda US $110.00 [0 bids]
RAIMONDS PAULS - KINO NEW CD US $24.67 Buy It Now 5 days
NENA - KINO (12" DJ VINYL RECORD) DEMO COPY! NM! US $9.99 [0 bids]
VIKTOR TSOY I GRUPPA KINO. CHAST 1 - THE BEST - LUCHSHEE 2CD DIGIPAK BRAND NE US $14.95 Buy It Now 5 days
ZVEZDNYY PADL - VYACHESLAV BUTUSOV- KINO (CD) US $14.99 Buy It Now 5 days
True 2 the Game by Kino Watson (CD, Jul-1996, Sony Music Distribution (USA)) NEW US $5.99 [0 bids]
Nena - Kino (At the Movies) SYNTHPOP 12" Single Vinyl 1984 Epic US $5.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Kino Watson - Game Recognize Game (Whatcha Want) R&B 12" Single Vinyl 1996 Colum US $3.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Kino Watson - Bring It On R&B 12" Single Vinyl 1996 Columbia US $3.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Kino Watson - Breakfast in Bed USA Shipping Included US $4.65 Buy It Now 5 days
AGATA KRISTIE-DECADENCE-PROG PSYCH RUSSIAN LP MINT AKVARIUM KINO TSOI US $19.99 Buy It Now 5 days
group SECRET- IN THE WAY-RUSSIAN MINT # Akvarium Kino Beat Quartet BEATLES US $19.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Kino Club - So Sweet Ep CD Pop Dance Music US $15.53 Buy It Now 6 days
KINO The star called Sun ???? ?????? ?? ????? ?????? US $99.00 [0 bids]
Kino(7" Vinyl P/S)Room In My Heart-Chrysalis-CHS 2974-UK-Ex-/Ex US $9.95 Buy It Now 6 days
LIA/ENNIO GALLI/KINO LESI/LUCIANO SECCHI-YUGO PS 45 EP US $14.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Raimonds Pauls - Kino [CD New] US $16.98 Buy It Now 6 days
CABARET VOLTAIRE Drinking Gasoline 1985 Kino Big Funk Sleepwalking Ghostalk US $19.99 Buy It Now 6 days
HAPPY WORLD Flowing Field LP Kill The PMRC Kino Bay Carefree Dog Denver CO US $7.99 Buy It Now 6 days
ILLYUZION PESNI NASHEGO KINO SOUNDTRACK MUSIC CD NEW US $17.95 Buy It Now 6 days
RED WAVE 4 Underground Bands USSR 1986 Gatefold 2LP COLOR VINYL Aquarium KINO US $50.00 [0 bids]
KINO PROBES TRIBUTE TO VICTOR TSOI ZEMFIRA MUMIY TROLL VV RJROL I SHUT NAIV US $14.99 Buy It Now 6 days
KINO room in my heart CHS 12 2974 uk chrysalis 1986 12" PS EX/EX US $15.51 Buy It Now 7 days
Cabaret Voltaire I Want You , Kino 2 mixes each Uk 12" US $12.99 Buy It Now 7 days
KINO - Viktor Tsoy - Collection RUSSIAN New Wave CULT Band MP3 - CD1 US $12.66 Buy It Now 7 days
Bird of Paradise by Original Soundtrack (DVD, May-2012, Kino) US $16.98 Buy It Now 7 days
NEW - True to the Game by Watson, Kino US $3.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Kino (Viktor Tsoy ) - Luchshee Chast' 1 (2CD) Used-Very good US $6.99 Buy It Now 7 days
ESPLENDOR GEOMETRICO-KOSMOS KINO-JAPAN MINI LP CD F56 US $29.50 Buy It Now 7 days
Skullflower - Kino Ii: Form Destroyer [CD New] US $21.39 Buy It Now 7 days
Blumentopf - Grobes Kino [CD New] US $19.99 Buy It Now 7 days
PETER SCHARLI Wenn's Im Sommer Ins Kino Schneit LP NM- US $19.99 Buy It Now 8 days
KINO Kino (Black Album) (CD) [Victor Tsoj] Rock US $12.50 Buy It Now 8 days
KINO - VIKTOR TSOI - BLACK ALBUM - CULT SOVIET RED WAVE!! US $24.90 Buy It Now 8 days
KINO - BLOOD TYPE - CULT SOVIET RED WAVE!! US $34.90 Buy It Now 8 days
KINO - VIKTOR TSOI - NIGHT - CULT SOVIET RED WAVE!! US $19.90 Buy It Now 8 days
KINO - TSOI - LAST HERO - CULT SOVIET RED WAVE!! US $29.90 Buy It Now 8 days
KINO - VIKTOR TSOI - NIGHT - CULT SOVIET RED WAVE!! US $14.90 Buy It Now 8 days
KINO - VIKTOR TSOI - BLACK ALBUM - CULT SOVIET RED WAVE!! US $19.90 Buy It Now 8 days
KINO - TSOI - LAST HERO - CULT SOVIET RED WAVE!! US $24.90 Buy It Now 8 days
KINO - VIKTOR TSOI - BLOOD TYPE - CULT SOVIET RED WAVE!! US $29.90 Buy It Now 8 days
BAMBI KINO - BAMBI KINO [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $7.49 Buy It Now 8 days
SKULLFLOWER Kino IV: Black Sun Rising CD UK noise/drone rock REISSUES ramleh NEW US $21.00 Buy It Now 8 days
SKULLFLOWER Kino III: Xaman CD UK noise/drone rock REISSUES ramleh broken flag US $21.00 Buy It Now 8 days
SKULLFLOWER Kino II: Form Destroyer CD UK noise/drone rock REISSUE ramleh pure US $21.00 Buy It Now 8 days
SKULLFLOWER Kino I: Birthdeath CD UK noise/drone rock REISSUE ramleh whitehorse US $21.00 Buy It Now 8 days
KANT KINO - WE ARE KANT KINO YOU ARE NOT - NEW CD US $14.51 Buy It Now 8 days

More places to buy KINO music online Buy KINO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KINO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KINO Picture ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(15%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(45%)

KINO Picture reviews

Review by Dan Bobrowski
2 stars The term "Supergroup" gives the false impression that the music is going to be better then the sum of it's parts, or at least as good as the musical output of the members regular affiliates. Neither is true on this release of pop songs with slight, afterthought, prog accents. These musicians come together with strong credentials, they all are or were members of prog bands that are held in high esteem by their fans.

What this collective big named group produced is a highly derivitive, very polished, no risk-taking, neo-progressive rock album with strong melodies, but no real merit. If prog were popular in the mainstream, this is the kind of music that would be playing over the airwaves. Poppy lyrics, Asia styled hooks, professional (yet uninspired) solos, toe tapping, the wife won't scream if I put this on in the car stereo type of music. I find Kino has similarities to Jadis, IQ and Marillion. Not really my cup of coffee, but Neo- Proggers may find this the best thing since free condiments at Starbucks.

The strong point of the disc is the rhythm section. Trewavas and Maitland seem to connect, adding some fine moments to these lackluster compositions. Trewavas' bass slides in and out of the mid range heavy production. Maitland sounds crisp but isn't challenged at all with any stop and go punctuations, quick rhythm changes or odd meters. A few bursts of power and bombast here and there. Pretty straight forward mid-tempo flow throughout.

Guitars and keyboards are front and center, alternating solos, very in the pocket and polished. The vocals are good. Not great, competent. Kino offers a good use of harmonies.

The compositions are the weak link. You hear this stuff everyday, from numerous bands. For three of the musicians, these tunes sound so much like their particular band that I would ask, "why bother?" To create something super (as in Supergroup) you need to take what you know and have learned to a higher level, or at least something different.

For fans of Neo-Prog only.

Send comments to Dan Bobrowski (BETA) | Report this review (#34275) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 07, 2005

Review by Prognut
3 stars OK!!!! First, let me explain something up front...

This album is not Symphonic, complex or a Masterpiece on Progressive Rock!!, and, I believe it did not mean to be that anyway; but, there is something, somehow that this old fart that is completely sold to progressive rock likes!. Maybe is the fact that I knew what to expect of this album, even before I got it!

Most all the tracks will appeal to Porcupine Tree, Pineapple Thief or even some of the Marrillion fans... or I rather say to mostly Modern Symphonic (Neo-Prog) fans.

Very accessible stuff, not complicated at all, but I have to say that even if it sound pop. Is not the usual popcrap that you tend to listen on radio; this is rather British Pop with some Progressive touches, I would not even call it Alternative.

In addition, if I have to be honest, this kind of music and Modern Symphonic (neo-prog) in general is a beautiful genre to ease new generations into real Progressive Rock music; I for instance got this CD with the suspicion that my kids, especially my 13-year old daughter, will like it..This is what she had to say about this Album.... Excellent!!; I love it!!.

We can not expect people to like up front bands with a lot of complexity, I am sure for instance that 33 years ago (when I was 13) probably if I had listen to KC/Yes/PF stuff I would not had get it!!!. Now, instead you have groups like Kino that actually are doing something melodic, accessible and in the edge of progressive-pop. Good for them!! I honestly feel this way, and I prefer that my kids support (buying) and listen to their music than go to a retail music store and get CDs from "Artists" like Madonna, Spears or Hip-Hop, etc... And, I have to tell you guys, they (my kids) have come around so much with this genre, that they even like some stuff from the 70's, and to me that is an achievement already.

Now regarding the rating, 3 stars sound just right. By the way, do not use or believe the term "Super group!!" this is some form of cliché which I think does not apply to Progressive Rock!!

Send comments to Prognut (BETA) | Report this review (#34276) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Review by hdfisch
2 stars As many co-reviewers stated already, the title "supergroup" really gives a wrong impression for this project and album. If anyone expects something like TRANSATLANTIC, MARILLION, ARENA or PORCUPINE TREE, be aware it's far far away from any of these. It's really just ordinary pop-prog, maybe good enough for running in the back without disturbing or annoying. Good for 1 or 2 listenings, then it sucks! Maximum 2 stars I can give for this work! Pete I'm used to better stuff by you in MARILLION or TRANSATLANTIC!!

Send comments to hdfisch (BETA) | Report this review (#34277) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 19, 2005

Review by Gatot
3 stars Arena + It Bites + Marillion + Porcupine Tree = RPWL? Probably.

Since its inception, this band was intended to produce modern rock music with some touch of prog. With this in mind, I did not expect the band would do some kind of seventies prog or even neo prog such as early Marillion or Arena; psychedelic prog like Porcupine Tree; new-wave prog like It Bites. I was wondering actually on what kind of music the band would produce. I thought it would be an AOR like music. When I listened to this album at the firs time, I was surprised that it turned out as something similar to RPWL music, overall. Well, you may recall that RPWL's music is similar to Porcupine Tree or Pink Floyd but they are in a way different in style and beats. While if I compare between Kino "Picture" with RPWL's "Trying To Kiss The Sun" or "World Through My Eyes", they are very alike. The only exception is probably that some tracks in Picture are more upbeat compared to RPWL's that usually produces floating psychedelic music.

The album kicks off with a rocking track - yes, this one is different with RPWL! - "Losers' Day Paradise" (9:03) combining hard driving guitar by John Mitchell, drum work by Chris Maitland and Pete Trewavas' bass lines. The music flows in relatively fast tempo. John Beck inserts some soft keyboard sounds at the back. This track in fact reminds me to post-Neal Morse Spock's Beard, something like "Onomatopoeia" of the "Feel Euphoria" album in terms of nuance. This opening track is bit unclear to me as the structure is loose - it has some changes in tempo and forms but not in smooth transitions. It seems like disjointed segments. The band seems to construct a combination of hard rock and psychedelic music but does not seem to succeed with creating such a cohesive structure. It's enjoyable on part by part music of the song but unclear about the linking pins among segments that unify them.

The second track "Letting Go" (5:25) is truly an RPWL-like music. It starts with soft guitar and keyboard featuring vocal line in ambient style. This is a nice track with some guitar solo augmented with bass lines. Next is a poppy song "Leaving A Light On" (6:17) that reminds me to the music of Mike and The Mechanics in the 80s especially its opening part. I feel annoyed actually with this opening part with sort of vibes. Luckily, the next part is an interesting and catchy part where the music flows smoothly with keyboard-based rhythm section in floating style. The short interlude part with soft guitar solo is nice.

The fourth track "Swimming in Women" (5:22) is a melodic tune with excellent piano and keyboard featuring vocal at opening part. Yeah, I like this opening part with touchy piano work that features John's vocal. It's melodic man! The music flows in medium tempo with catchy segments produced by keyboard with some soft guitar riffs at the back.. Keyboard work is stunning in the middle of the track with some kind of floating wave sound and some middle-east nuance at the back followed with cool base lines by Pete. An excellent track with killing melody! It's my favorite track and I think you would probably like it.

Having been in relatively slow/medium tempo, the band brings the music into more uplifting mood with fifth track "People" (6:07) that starts off with soft guitar fills and keyboard that feature voice line. Pounding drum sounds enter the music and bring it into a medium upbeat tempo style with energy. Multi-layers keyboard sounds give rich textures of the song augmented with some orchestration work and acoustic guitar fills. Yes, you may agree with me that the combination of keyboard and orchestration has produced excellent music. The drum solo accompanied with guitar solo backed with orchestra at the ending part of this track is truly stunning.

Simple piano work starts "All You See" (5:08) beautifully, especially when it features vocal line. The music suddenly change with full music in a louder sound, reminiscent of Black Field or Porcupine Tree. It's another floating, ambient style of music with good guitar solo.

From its intro, it suffices to say that "Perfect Tense" (4:16) is a pure pop song in terms of beats as well as structure. It has nice guitar solo. "Room for Two" (3:43) is a pop rock outfit with relatively fast tempo style and some soft guitar riffs. The structure is simple. It then continues with "Holding On "(7:08) that starts with a nice acoustic guitar work that features vocal line. The music flows smoothly with excellent guitar solo mixed softly. In the middle of the track the music moves into more uplifting mood with stunning guitar solo. The album concludes with title track "Picture" (2:22) that's basically a nice melody track using piano and soft keyboard sounds as rhythm section for a vocal line in low register notes. A nice ending tune.

SUMMARY

Overall, don't expect this album is something similar to typical neo progressive bands that usually deliver catchy, melodic symphonic music. As colleague Collaborator Lise (Hibou) has put it in the band's page: "The listener, however, shouldn't expect a progressive masterpiece or anything resembling, say, TRANSATLANTIC", I fully agree with this statement. The music of this album is basically light modern rock with some insertions of prog elements. It's not a bad album at all, and it's accessible to wider audience base than its original bands where the members are coming from. Those of you who like psychedelic prog kind of music might like this album. It's really up to you on whether or not to purchase this CD. For me personally, this album is enjoyable for a change after listening to many heavy stuffs. But it cannot stand for long as I tend to get bored with the styles. Rating: 3+ out of 5 stars. If you are curious with the mathematical expression that I mentioned above, purchase the CD and enjoy! After all, keep on proggin' man .!!!.

Yours progressively,

GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#34285) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 11, 2005

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars We must get together sometime

Despite the fact that all the band members have enjoyed success with other bands, Kino appear to be more of a side project than a supergroup. The main interest in the band for me is the presence of Arena guitarist John Mitchell, whose guitar work is usually excellent.

Mitchell certainly takes a dominant role in Kino (the band were initially going to call themselves Cinema, but decided to use the equivalent word in German instead), being lead vocalist and frontman. As a result, Kino' sound more reminiscent of Mitchell's other side project, The Urbane than they do of Arena. It's hard to tell from the credits who the main songwriters are, as all the songs are credited to the band collectively, but I would guess that here too, Mitchell's influence was strong. In the rather strange world of modern day recording, the band did not actually play together on many of the recordings, the various parts being laid down separately by each member. Indeed, they had hardly met at all, and certainly did not play together as a unit prior to the album's release!

The albums opens with a nine minute piece "Loser's day in paradise", which is by far the most progressive track on the album. It moves between neo-prog and some very indie like sounds, always driven on by Mitchell's guitar. There are some nice touches such as the brief soft female vocal and the "Moviedrome" (Arena) type ending.

It soon becomes clear as the album unfolds, that the band have put their best number upfront. The remaining tracks are consistently good, but the prog influences are less, with the music taking on a more predicable nature thereafter. "Holding on" towards the end of the album does offer something more progressive, with some excellent organ work, and a variety of moods.

Many of the other tracks are reminiscent of melodic power rock of Asia, especially in their earlier days. "Leaving a light on", "Letting go", and "perfect tense" are all potential singles (although not necessarily hit singles). "Swimming in women" has a chorus which sounds like something from an old Toyah (AKA Mrs Fripp) album!

As a whole, the album has plenty of different moods and styles. The longer tracks work best, with the shorter songs being generally too light weight to have any lasting appeal. A credible first album though.

A special edition version of the album is available which includes a second disk, in DVD format, containing live performances of the first four tracks on the album. As the sleeve notes confirm, the band had not been together long before they took to the Rockpalast stage. During the performances, they are clearly nervous and a little unsure of themselves, but the results are solid, if understandably unadventurous.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#34290) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Review by Garion81
3 stars The story has been told in the bio and the other reviews of modern progressive recording artists to form a so called super group but what results here is exactly what happened when 4 other superstars came together in the 80's, Asia. I don't hear very many of the trappings of traditional progressive music here. There are no wild time signatures or epics. I hear some really good Arena rock and power metal ballads but Prog? I don't think so. Track 7, Perfect Sense, could have been on the initial Asia album. A little keyboard sound in the mix and people deem it is prog.

Rather than trying to go on by saying what it is maybe I should move on to what it isn't. It is not adventurous, every note of every solo is carefully crafted. It is not progressive, all of this music has been done before. So if you are looking for that type of CD here you will not find it.

What you will find are some very well crafted pop/rock songs with decent vocals and a slick production. In other words very little soul or passion. This is a very safe CD. Try Spiraling if you want better neo-prog.

I do like the track People. it has the most interesting chord structure and styling.

If you like Asia, Europe(Final Countdown) later 70's Styx you will probably really like this CD. This is a rock album not a prog rock album. For that reason I cannot conscience higher than a three for this and that is a stretch. 3 max.

Send comments to Garion81 (BETA) | Report this review (#67852) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Review by E-Dub
4 stars Briefly perusing the past reviews of Picture, it seems that the overwhelming warning is it isn't anything like It Bites, Marillion, Porcupine Tree, or Arena. To me, Kino seemed to be a serious, but fun side project by some already well-established musicians. I don't believe Kino was designed to be the next big prog supergroup.

In actuality, Picture was my favorite CD of 2005. It reminds me a lot of 80's era Asia or Yes (So, if you weren't a fan of either one, then you may not like this). I am a child of the 80's, so the very fact that it reminded me a lot that era was pleasing to my ears. Besides "Loser's Day Parade", the rest of the tracks clock in around 4 - 5 minutes, and are very melodic.

And although the music is very melodic, the power behind the musicianship cannot be overlooked. Especially Chris Maitland (who probably won't be involved in future Kino projects), who simply punishes the kit on "Loser's Day Parade". And songs like "Perfect Tense" and "Leave The Light On" are very reminiscent of Wetton era Asia.

The biggest surprise were the lead vocals by Arena's John Mitchell. I had no idea the guy could sing, but he makes for a very competant lead singer. He handles all of the vocals, with the exception of Beck's "Swimming In Women", which is also a strong tune.

Maybe it shouldn't be looked over with the discriminating eye of the normal prog fan and just take it for what it is. It's not as deep as progressive; but, it's difficult to comprehend people not enjoying just simple, good music.

Send comments to E-Dub (BETA) | Report this review (#70483) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 25, 2006

Review by loserboy
4 stars KINO are a relatively new progressive rock band, I suppose would be considered a "supergroup". With membership including MARILLION's Peter Trewavas, ARENA's John Mitchell, PORCUPINE TREE's Chris Maitland and IT BITES' John Beck this band deliver the new gen prog rock. Musically this band is a mix of a little bit of everything... from the syncopated prowess of "SPOCK'S BEARD" to the symphonic latitude of ARENA to the melodic detail of The FLOWER KINGS. Intermixed within this album is also a keen sense of melody and borders a tad on the pop genre which gives this album a certain flare of accessibility. Of course the instrumentation is excellent with the great guitar of Mitchell combined with the bass talent of Trewavas, drumming clarity of Maitland and Beck's unique keyboards. Mitchell also handles the lead vocal role which he manages to with ease and actually has a great voice (I never really noticed from his ARENA days!). This album might be the single best album I have heard in a long time and has too many high points to walk thru but I can sum it all up by saying this is just one of those albums.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#72090) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 16, 2006

Review by Melomaniac
4 stars A very good first album (as there likely will be another) by this band. You know who's in it and where they come from, so I won't bother telling you. Just don't expect this band to sound like the bands from which the musicians come from. It is more of a prog pop rock affair with a slight 80's vibe to it. You can hear multiple influences here : The Who (track Letting Go), The Beatles (moments in Losers Day Parade and track Swimming in Women), The Police (Leave a Light on), but also things that are their own, as these musicians really now what they are doing.

Technicality is not the main dish here, but nice arrangements, hooks and catchy melodies are.

I enjoy all songs but two miss the mark (at least with me) : Room for Two and The Perfect Tense. Filler songs in my humble opinion.

Overall, an excellent album that is easily listened to and appreciated. Even with the 2 filler songs I mentionned, I always find the album went by too fast when finished, and that is always a good thing.

I am really looking forward to their next offering.

Send comments to Melomaniac (BETA) | Report this review (#84282) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 20, 2006

3 stars I had high hopes for this record. Too high apparently. Kind of an all-star cast here with PORCUPINE TREE's ex drummer, ARENA's guitarist, MARILLION's bass player and IT BITES keyboardist.

Although the first two songs, "Losers Day Parade" and "Letting Go" certainly did fulfill my expectations (I can listen to those two songs over and over again) but the rest of the record failed to deliver.The songs are "nice", but I can get "nice" on the radio anytime. It's almost like they decided to go for it and try to make a success of this commercially instead of sticking with what they do best, namely Prog.

It's a good album, but certainly not essential.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#91787) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 24, 2006

Review by progrules
3 stars I bought this disk after I heard some promising things about it and because of the fact this "project" includes members like John Mitchell and Pete Trewavas. I'm always very curious about new projects with (some of) my favourite participants. But after I listened to it several times I found out this wasn't quite what I had hoped for.

In one of the forum topics this was compared with the Frost-project and that one came up to my expectations a lot more. One of the reasons for that is simply the contribution of John Mitchell. On the Frost album he shows his full potential (which I enjoyed optimally) but on this disk that is absent I'm afraid. Picture is a much more accessible album containing almost pop-like songs, on itself nice sounding but hardly truly progressive to me. I wonder if they did that intentionally or that it just turned out like this. Because the bandmembers are true proggers, so why ? Anyway I like (and expected) the more progressive sort of music but leaving that aside I will try to give this a fair review. The first track is immediately the highlight to me. It's the most progressive and versatile song of the album but at the same time that's actually disappointing because it's a good track but no more than that. So where leaves that the other ones ? The other songs are more or less of equal quality but in rating terms that's somewhere between 3 and 3.5 stars (Losers day parade scores just about 4 for me). All you see and Holding On are the more ballad-like tracks though the second ends up as a much more energetic composition.

All in all not bad of course but not really what I'm looking for in progressive music. Even for neo-progressive standards this is minimal in that respect, probably the reason this band is categorized as prog related. The execution and production are ok so I will give it 3 stars (3,3).

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#157500) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 03, 2008

Review by UMUR
3 stars Picture is the debut album from Kino. Kino isnīt your regular debut band though as the band consists of four more or less known prog rock musicians. According to the band Kino is not just a project for the members but a real band. Kino is made up of John Beck ( It Bites) on keyboards, John Mitchell ( Arena, The Urbane) on vocals and guitar, Chris Maitland ( Ex-Porcupine Tree) on Drums and Pete Trawavas ( Marillion, Transatlantic) on Bass. With a cast like this you would expect some high quality prog rock but even though the quality is definitely very high this is not very progressive. There are progressive tendencies in the music and a few songs that does travel in progressive territory.

The music is very commercial pop/rock with some progressive tendencies. It reminds me a bit about Jem Godfreyīs Frost but itīs not as progressive. The music has a warm sound and lots of layers of guitar and keyboards. The vocals are in focus most of the time though even though there are guitar solos and an occasional keyboard solo. The most progressive song is the first song Losers' Day Parade that with itīs 9 minutes of playing time is also the longest track on Picture. Losers' Day Parade shows what Kino is capable of and IMO itīs pretty impressive. I have always liked pop/ rock with a progressive edge and this is certainly that. The other songs are good too even though they are not as progressive or exciting as Losers' Day Parade. There are a few moments where I think the commercial pop ideas gets to be a little to much for someone like me ( Like the chorus in Leaving A Light On), but I actually enjoy almost every song on Picture. Itīs a very pleasant album. In that respect it reminds me a bit about Calling All Stations by Genesis even though there is a bit more punch in Kinoīs sound.

The musicianship is very good which isnīt a surprise if you know these musicians. I need to mention Chris Maitlandīs drumming as it is really great here on Picture. He has a very exciting playing style and just drives the music forward.

The production is modern and full. A really good sound for this kind of music.

This is a very professional sounding album and even though this might not be my prefered style, I enjoy listening to Picture once in a while. Iīll rate Picture 3 big stars and it could just as easily have been a four had this been a bit more progressive. If you want to encourage someone to listen to prog rock this would be a good way of introducing them to the more commercial side of the genre.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#172027) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 23, 2008

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars I discovered this album at the time of release while I was heading London for a ''Musical Box'' concert at the Royal Albert Hall together with my brother. Wen I was aware of the band members, there was no question that I would attend the gig at the London Astoria.

The guys were pretty enthusiasts on stage and needless to say that they are bloody skilled. Sometimes they sounded a bit hardish and John Mitchell might not be the best vocalist on earth, but the music they play is rather fresh yet accessible and very pleasant.

The highlight is of course the great opener: ''Losers Day Parade''. It holds a lot of what the neo-prog genre has to offer: a hard attack, great rhythmic, decent vocals (even if they remind me of the Marillion Mark II).

It is true to say that there are no great tunes available on this album. The experience of effectively see those guys was far much interesting than this studio work. It is easily understandable when you get them in front of your eyes. But the story is of course different when you ''only'' listen to their record which features the good (as I have already mentioned) and the worse (''Letting Go'').

Still, any neo-prog lover should be pleased with this work. There are fine melodies available, great guitar breaks of course (''Leave a Light On'') which are of course 200% neo prog oriented. To have seen this band turned into the prog related genre is an extreme surprise. I will definitely try and bring them into the genre they ought to be.

Apart of this discussion, it is true to say that there are some flaws in here. A song as ''Swimming in Women'' is just a filler IMO. And it is not the only one available. It should be difficult of course when you get a bunch of those guys together to raise the level of an album as high as each of them could have doe in their according band (with the exception of Marillion II of course).

It is obvious that when you are listening to such a good track as ''People'', the heresy of having this band catalogued as prog related is quite questionable, isn't it? Even if there are some average tracks as ''All You See''. Vocals overall remind me a lot of Ray Wilson ones on ''Calling All Stations'' and even if a track as ''Picture'' sounds popish, it holds some fine melodic lines and a catchy beat.

This album might well be a deception for some reviewers. Maybe that they were expecting too much of this band (or group of persons). Still, this work should please any neo-prog lover. Don't try to find the closest relation (Marillion Mark II, Arena, PT or It Bites) because it is a useless exercise.

This is just a good neo-prog album performed by skilled artists who wanted to have some fun playing together. Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#192744) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 12, 2008

4 stars I have heard various tracks from this album over the last couple of years but had not heard the album in its entirety until last week, when I finally purchased a copy of it. Being a lover of modern symphonic prog, strong melodies and production, this album hits the spot for me. There is defini ... (read more)

Report this review (#626857) | Posted by Richens | Sunday, February 05, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I really don't unerstand the reviews here about this album. The only thing I can think is because the music is almost Pop. However, it is still Progressive, filled with great musician chops and odd time sigs. Is it so bad that the songs are really good. I mean very, very melodic. Excellent chor ... (read more)

Report this review (#128206) | Posted by StyLaZyn | Thursday, July 12, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars SO SAD I was going to review some Porcupine Tree or/and Marillion albums but while searching for those cdīs i found this, and itīs funny because it has members of the bands i was looking for. I had almost forgotten that i have it because of the deception it was when i first heard it. That ti ... (read more)

Report this review (#127655) | Posted by FranMuzak | Thursday, July 05, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Grosses Kino I've read all the talk about the "supergroup" KINO but I don't buy it. I don't think that KINO was meant to be a supergroup. From listening to it a few times now, I more and more get the feeling that it was meant to be only a side project, some kind of holiday from the confinements ... (read more)

Report this review (#112759) | Posted by Bungalow Bill | Monday, February 19, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I never thought of Kino as a supergroup, whatever that may mean. Some reviewers here have used the term "side project" and that's what Kino seems to me, in the best possible sense: four very talented and experiences musicians having a very good time, with no worries about career strategies, gr ... (read more)

Report this review (#85632) | Posted by Platypus66 | Friday, August 04, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I don't know what these guys had in mind when they got together but if their purpose was to create and record some light, refreshing and unpretentious music, they completely succeeded. So don't expect for complex rhythm changes or weird experimentation. All we have got here are simple but b ... (read more)

Report this review (#85349) | Posted by Bupie | Tuesday, August 01, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is a great album. I wouldnt call it full on prog.....indeed at times its not prog at all. However there are enough elements of interesting music and emotions to still call it progressive. Above all there is some fantastic parts to the album. I personally think that John Mitchells vocals a ... (read more)

Report this review (#82074) | Posted by | Tuesday, June 27, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I'm really surprised at the lack of excitement over Kino. I think "Picture" was a nice surprise for 2005's crop of new bands. While being labled another "supergroup" I wish I could remove that word from our language and just judge what a bunch of musicians do for the fun of it. And in this case, ... (read more)

Report this review (#79985) | Posted by x_bruce | Thursday, June 01, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Another supergroup that proves to be less than the tag implies. Don't get me wrong. This album is actually pretty good but with the considerable talent in the band you'd expect something a lot more cohessive and certainly more entertaining. I wouldn't call this a progressive rock album... more ... (read more)

Report this review (#42323) | Posted by Trafficdogg | Wednesday, August 10, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Well, I didn't know nothing about this band, I just saw the names on the cover and bought it. At first I thought "well, another good album perfectly played and produced, nothing more", but the more I listened to it, the more I needed it. Now I can't keep myself from listening to it at least on ... (read more)

Report this review (#34287) | Posted by | Saturday, May 07, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Really good debut. An album you can put on your cd player and don't need to skip any track couldn't be a bad album. Good musicianship, melodies, songs, solos and good vocals that just fit on the music perfectly. Yes, It has a pop flavour, but what's the problem with that...? It couldn't be exa ... (read more)

Report this review (#34286) | Posted by | Tuesday, April 19, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I heard about Kino from the Transatlantic web site late last year. I saw that Pete Trewavas was in it and I thought I"d check it out. I downloaded the sampler and was blown away. I hadn't been this excited about a cd in a long time. February finally rolled around and I found an internet radio a ... (read more)

Report this review (#34274) | Posted by | Saturday, March 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 10 Songs on one album: there are people who think that this simple fact proves the album is not a progalbum. But I don't agree! Kino plays true neoprog, and if you like this kind of prog you really should buy this album! John (Arena) Mitchell's guitar playing is solid as usual, but his voice is ... (read more)

Report this review (#34273) | Posted by | Tuesday, March 01, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Many big name in prog scene for this band but the product is ordinary...John Mitchell (Arena Gutarist) sing on this album i have a message for you John''PLAY GUITARS'' i don't think is very good on vocal.The rest,istrumental is basic no emotion just typical prog. i think the big name like her des ... (read more)

Report this review (#34269) | Posted by progarctica | Saturday, February 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KINO "Picture"