VOICES IN MY HEAD

Buy RIVERSIDE Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2005

1. Us (2:33)
2. Acronym Love (4:45)
3. Dna Ts. Rednum Or F. Raf (7:20)
4. The Time I Was Daydreaming (4:53)
5. Stuck Between (3:46)
6. I Believe (live) (4:00)
7. Loose Heart (live) (5:28)
8. Out Of Myself (live)(3:42)

Search RIVERSIDE Voices In My Head lyrics

Search RIVERSIDE Voices In My Head tabs

- Mariusz Duda / vocal, acoustic guitar, bass
- Piotr Grudziński / guitar
- Michał Łapaj / keyboards
- Piotr Kozieradzki / drums

EP - CD Vegart/ArtRock.PL
EP - CD InsideOut IOMCD 251 (2006)

and to NotAProghead for the last updates

RIVERSIDE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy RIVERSIDE Voices In My Head Music

Single
Mystic Production
Wes Montgomery with Strings Riverside OJC FUSION! LP US $7.99 Buy It Now 32m
Mighty Monk Thelonious Monk mono Riverside R-3000 US $69.00 Buy It Now 32m 46s
Happy Time [Remaster] by Junior Mance Japanese Riverside mini LP package New US $8.98 [1 bids]
37m 38s
Kyoto vinyl LP by ART BLAKEY & JAZZ MESSENGERS Riverside; 9493 stereo; US $19.99 Buy It Now 56m
Nippon Soul, Cannonball Adderley | Format: Vinyl LP Riverside 9477 stereo US $29.99 Buy It Now 56m 6s
Cannonball Adderley And The Poll-Winners vinyl LP Riverside US $39.95 Buy It Now 56m 7s
THE REGIS SYMPHONIC BAND concert in the park LP VG+ RLP 7529 Riverside 1962 USA US $19.50 Buy It Now 1h 4m
CHARLIE BYRD O BARQUINHO/MEDITACDAO 45 RPM RIVERSIDE RECORDS RF-4544 US $2.98 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Dame Edith Evans - First Christmas LP - Wonderland (Riverside) RLP 1469 - SEALED US $9.99 [1 bids]
BILLIE & DEDE PIERCE vocal blues & cornet LP VG+ RLP 9370 Riverside 1961 USA US $28.00 Buy It Now 1h 23m
CHARLIE BYRD Latin Impressions LP, Near Mint, '62 Riverside RLP 9427, Stereo US $5.00 [0 bids]
CANNONBALL ADDERLEY African Waltz RIVERSIDE Mono VG++ US $21.24 Buy It Now 1h 32m
JULIAN PRIESTER Keep Swingin' RIVERSIDE RLP 12-316 Mono US $15.29 Buy It Now 1h 32m
The Riverside Boys Self Titled Southern Gospel LP US $2.00 [0 bids]
Jazz Original LP JIMY HEATH & BRASS Swam Seed on Riverside US $40.00 Buy It Now 1h 41m
CLARA WARD: Down By The Riverside LP (shrink) Black Gospel US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 49m
RARE "Sounds of Sebring" LP, 1961 RIVERSIDE RLP 95023 US $35.00 Buy It Now 1h 53m
45 CLAY WALKER - DOWN BY THE RIVERSIDE B/W IF I COULD MAKE A LIVING 7-18068 US $2.48 Buy It Now 1h 57m
THELONIOUS MONK "Greatest Hits" RIVERSIDE LP RLP 9421 VG+ / VG+ RARE MONO LP US $12.99 [0 bids]
BOBBY TIMMONS TRIO dat dere / come rain or come shine 7" VG- RIVERSIDE R 45 437 US $28.80 Buy It Now 2h 17m
VG Billy Taylor Uptown Riverside RLP 12-319 Deep Groove LP w/ Autograph! US $20.99 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Complete Riverside Recordings - Wes Montgomery US $140.93 Buy It Now 2h 39m
WES MONTGOMERY mister walker / airegin RIVERSIDE RECORDS 33 US $24.00 Buy It Now 2h 50m
RARE JAZZ BOPPER 45 - ERNIE WILKINS - THE HOOTER / THE LION - RIVERSIDE 4508 US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 51m
BILL EVANS Portrait RIVERSIDE RLP 12-315 Mono Microgroove 1959 Recording JAZZ US $340.00 Buy It Now 3h 8m
BILL EVANS sealed WALTZ FOR DEBBY LiveJune 61 Riverside #OJC-210 vinyl Stereo LP US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 18m
Nat Adderley - Work Song CD UMGD/FANTASY/RIVERSIDE US $14.17 Buy It Now 3h 24m
Compositions of Dizzy Gillespie 45 RPM IN SHRINK Riverside Records 4 Tracks US $38.00 Buy It Now 3h 34m
SEALED LP HERBIE MANN ~ Moody Mann RIVERSIDE stereo US $16.00 Buy It Now 3h 48m
Record Album LP Them Dirty Blues Riverside RLP 12-322 1960 Nat Adderley Jazz US $3.95 [1 bids]
CANNONBALL ADDERLEY-SEXTET IN NEW YORK USED LP RIVERSIDE RLP 404 MONO PRESS US $69.99 Buy It Now 3h 51m
BILL EVANS TRIO - PORTRAIT IN JAZZ - RIVERSIDE 12-315 - SCOTT LAFARO - US $48.00 [4 bids]
10" LP Henry Morgan Riverside 8003 Here's Henry US $50.00 Buy It Now 4h 5m
Billy Taylor 45 Koolbongo/The Song Is Ended Riverside 430 E- Condition US $13.50 Buy It Now 4h 8m
JAZZ LP-"THELONIOUS MONK PLAYS THE MUSIC OF DUKE ELLINGTON" RIVERSIDE RLP-12-201 US $21.50 [2 bids]
ORIGINAL 1962-vintage (Riverside Records) "SOUNDS of SPEED" Vinyl-Record LP! US $4.00 [0 bids]
Plays Duke Ellington by Thelonious Monk (CD, Mar-2004, Riverside Records (Jazz)) US $11.95 [0 bids]
HISTORY OF CLASSIC JAZZ RIVERSIDE 5 LP SET WITH BOOKLET SDP II EX MICROGROOVE US $44.99 [0 bids]
THE SOUL OF JAZZ PERCUSSION ~ PHILLY JOE JONES, MAX ROACH & MORE RIVERSIDE LP US $24.99 [0 bids]
Charlie Byrd "Latin Impressions" JAZZ RIVERSIDE LP #9427 US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 54m
THE RIVERSIDE HISTORY OF CLASSIC JAZZ-RIVERSIDE-12-116 US $25.00 Buy It Now 5h 5m
ORLANDO VALLEJO con la ORQ. RIVERSIDE Novia Mia LATIN LP Shrink ANTILLA US $3.99 [0 bids]
ART BLAKEY ~ Ugetsu RIVERSIDE STEREO LP Near Mint US $29.99 Buy It Now 5h 21m
MONO JAZZ LP - KID THOMAS and HIS ALGIERS STOMPERS - RIVERSIDE 386 - US $15.00 Buy It Now 5h 21m
MEADE LUX LEWIS Blues Piano Artistry Riverside RS 9402 STEREO dg LP US $19.97 Buy It Now 5h 49m
HILLEL AND AVIVA LAND OF MILK AND HONEY RIVERSIDE LP US $6.00 Buy It Now 6h
JAZZ LP-THELONIOUS MONK"ALONE IN SAN FRANCISCO" RIVERSIDE 1158 STEREO DG US $25.00 [0 bids]
JAZZ LP-THELONIOUS MONK "THE UNIQUE" RIVERSIDE RLP 12-209 MONO DG US $20.00 [0 bids]
CLARK TERRY QUINTET Serenade to a Bus Stop. Riverside Japan LP NM US $44.99 Buy It Now 6h 45m
MUNDELL LOWE LP JAZZ 1950'S RIVERSIDE near mint FIRST PRESS swinging BILL TAYLOR US $8.98 [0 bids]
The Thelonious Monk Orchestra at Town Hall LP Riverside john coltrane jazz piano US $11.99 Buy It Now 7h 11m
Riverside - Luka Bloom (Cassette 1990, Reprise) in NM US $9.99 Buy It Now 7h 45m
norma jean - call me a fool - riverside 4533 - 1962 - ref# 16,737 US $39.99 [0 bids]
Ma Rainey - 12 Classic Blues Performances RIVERSIDE RLP12-108 DG with Tampa Red US $30.00 Buy It Now 9h
CANNONBALL ADDERLEY - Takes Charge ~ RIVERSIDE 203 / LANDMARK 1306 {nm} w/Wynton US $17.99 Buy It Now 9h 9m
Ellingtonians In A Mellow Tone UK vinyl LP album record 673026 RIVERSIDE 1964 US $29.74 Buy It Now 9h 36m
Bill Evans Trio - Waltz For Debby 1983 Italian Pressing from Riverside Rar US $25.00 [0 bids]
Bill Evans - Everybody Digs Bill Evans (Jp Stereo Reissue) (Riverside) Lp US $44.00 Buy It Now 13h
Kenny Dorham - Blue Spring W/ Cannonball Adderley Reissue (Riverside) Lp US $24.95 Buy It Now 13h
Billy Bean - The Trio W/ Hal Gaylor + Walter Norris (Re) (Riverside) Lp US $32.95 Buy It Now 13h
Wes Montgomery Movin' Along 12"LP VG Microgroove Stereo 9342 Riverside US $14.99 [0 bids]
RIVERSIDE TRIO MY BABY'S GONE ROCKABILLY 10"LP US $30.00 Buy It Now 13h 55m
Dukes Of Dixieland CD "Down By The Riverside" like-new cond 10 Vintage songs US $1.99 [0 bids]
DON FRIEDMAN QUARTET-DREAMS AND EXPLORATIONS-RIVERSIDE RECORDS-1998-NEW-CUT OUT- US $18.00 Buy It Now 15h
Charlie Byrd: Byrd Man Riverside 3044 stereo US $8.00 Buy It Now 15h 5m
THE WES MONTGOMERY TRIO - (w/Mel Rhyne, organ) - Riverside orig. LP US $7.99 [1 bids]
LED ZEPPELIN TRAVELING RIVERSIDE BLUES PROMO CD SINGLE 1990 ATLANTIC LABEL US $14.99 Buy It Now 16h 6m
Chet Baker introduces Johnny Pace LP Riverside Mono US $10.00 [0 bids]
Cannonball Adderley African Waltz LP Riverside RLP 9377 Stereo (reissue) US $12.99 Buy It Now 16h 31m
FATS NAVARRO Good Bait STEREO RIVERSIDE LP NM- Tadd Dameron US $12.75 Buy It Now 17h 44m
Easter Monday,1916 Songs Of The I.R.A. Dominic Behan-1957 Riverside RLP-12820 NM US $89.95 Buy It Now 17h 51m
THE COMPLETE 1957 RIVERSIDE RECORDINGS [Digipak] Nnew / Sealed / Free Shipping US $9.99 Buy It Now 18h 3m
RIVERSIDE 4512- EDDIE "CLEANHEAD" VINSON- HOLD IT!/BACK DOOR BLUES- NEW BREED US $14.99 [0 bids]
The Riverside Records Story [Box] by Various Artists (CD, Sep-1997, 4 Discs,... US $11.99 [0 bids]
Thelonious Monk & Gerry Mulligan "Monk Meets" LP Riverside RLP 12-247 US $8.00 [1 bids]
Thelonious Monk Monk's Music LP 1983 Reissue Riverside OJC 084 Vinyl Record US $29.99 Buy It Now 19h 2m
CHARLIE BYRD & BARRY HARRIS "BLUES SONATA" 1st. mono Riverside RM 453 (1963) US $11.00 [0 bids]
ALBERTA HUNTER "WITH LOVIE AUSTIN'S BLUES SERENADERS" OBC/Riverside 510 (1980) US $11.00 [0 bids]
CANNONBALL ADDERLEY & WYNTON KELLY "AFRICAN WALTZ" 1st mono Riverside RLP 377 US $26.00 [0 bids]
BLIND BLAKE "BLUES IN CHICAGO" IMPORT Holland/Riverside RM 8804 (1960's) US $41.00 [0 bids]
Bossa Nova Pelos Passaros [Remaster] by Charlie Byrd (CD, Oct-2002, Riverside Re US $59.99 Buy It Now 19h 33m
CANNONBALL ADDERLEY QUINTET / PLUS / RIVERSIDE LP / 1961. VG++ VG+++ IN SHRINK!! US $14.99 [0 bids]
Portrait of Wes Wes Montgomery Trio LP Riverside Japan US $39.99 Buy It Now 19h 57m
BARRY HARRIS TRIO Chasin' The Bird SEALED MONO VINYL Riverside 435 US $99.99 Buy It Now 20h 29m
EVANS BRADSHAW TRIO - LOVE FOR SALE - RIVERSIDE 413 - 50'S JAZZ PIANO - VG+ US $2.00 [0 bids]
THELONIOUS MONK QUARTET MISTERIOSO RIVERSIDE SEALED US $10.00 [0 bids]
BILL EVANS**COMPLETE RIVERSIDE RECORDINGS**12 CD SET US $79.95 Buy It Now 21h 38m
RIVERSIDE-Out Of Myself CD NEW US $16.67 Buy It Now 22h
AMERICA * I NEED YOU & RIVERSIDE * 45 RPM US $4.75 Buy It Now 22h 4m
Thelonious Monk Orchestra-At Town Hall-Riverside 12-300-MONO SUPERB US $49.99 Buy It Now 22h 14m
ENUFF Z NUFF Newcastle Riverside 27th March 1990 Concert ticket stub US $1.64 [0 bids]
GIGI GRYCE AND THE JAZZ LAB QUINTET LP RIVERSIDE DG US $50.00 Buy It Now 22h 21m
Led Zeppelin LP-Riverside Blues Blue LP Rare US $250.00 [0 bids]
Riverside Great Themes From Great Movies ERNEST MAXIN ORCHESTRA Vinyl Record US $5.00 [0 bids]
SERRANO,PAUL RIVERSIDE 359 BLUES HOLIDAY M- $50.00 US $50.00 Buy It Now 22h 38m
THELONIOUS HIMSELF, RIVERSIDE RLP 12-235 1st Edition(Blue/Silver REEL) Jazz US $49.99 [0 bids]
CANNONBALL ADDERLEY, AFRICAN WALTZ, 1st press 12" Riverside Jazz- Near Mint US $24.99 [0 bids]
JOHNNY GRIFFIN ORCHESTRA THE BIG SOUL BAND LP RIVERSIDE US $23.99 Buy It Now 22h 44m
JOHNNY HAMMOND SMITH - Black Coffee/Monterey Theme | RARE soul jazz Riverside 45 US $4.99 Buy It Now 22h 53m
Riverside Gospel Group BEST OF GOSPEL AND SPIRITUALS Still Sealed 1998 CD US $11.99 Buy It Now 23h 10m

More places to buy RIVERSIDE music online Buy RIVERSIDE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for RIVERSIDE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

RIVERSIDE Voices In My Head ratings distribution

RIVERSIDE Voices In My Head reviews

Review by erik neuteboom
3 stars The album "Out Of Myself" by the Polish progrock band RIVERSIDE was very appriciated on this site, personally it was one of my favorite CD's from 2004. So high expectations for this new CD entitled "Voices In My Head". It contains five studio-tracks and three live songs (recorded at the Traffic Club Warsaw in the Polish capital in May 2004). The atmosphere on most of the new tracks is mellow featuring warm and distinctive English vocals and soaring keyboards along beautiful twanging acoustic guitar ("Us"), a great, very moving electric guitar solo and delicate pianoplay ("Acronym Love"), acoustic rhythm-guitar and melancholic vocals ("The time I was daydreaming) and vocal harmonies and howling electric guitar ("Stuck Between"). The third track "Dna ts. Rednum or F. Raf" is more in the vein of the album "Out Of Myself": a hypnotizing atmosphere, fiery electric guitar, an agressive bass, propulsive drums and exciting changes of climate, from dreamy with acoustic guitar to bombastic with fiery electric guitarwork.". The three live songs are "I Believe" (sensitive and fiery electric guitarplay, beautiful piano and vocals), "Loose Heart" (great build up) and "Out Of Myself" (great rendition of their best song). My conclusion: the new tracks on "Voices In My Head" sound more laidback and less exciting than "Out Of Myself" but in my opinion RIVERSIDE still delivers wonderful, very warm and compelling progrock.

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#34626) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 04, 2005

Review by Rivertree
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Psych/Space Team & Band Submissions
4 stars Not only voices ...

For the first moment I wasn't convinced when I listened to this EP. I expected more long tracks like 'The same river' or 'The curtain falls'. But after several times my disappointment was blown away.

Some tracks are melancholic with acoustic guitar and good vocals. 'Acronym love' is a ballad with a surprising change of speed at the end and good guitar work. The third track is hard to describe ('far from understand') - a mix of TripHop and Metal? 'The time I was daydreaming' has an excellent melody and the end is psychedelic - you just have to close your eyes und you feel like flying ... - my favourite track. The live tracks are wellknown - the highlight is 'Loose heart' because of its agressive end.

Riverside has enlarged the musical possibilities. So let's see which changes are coming with the new album 'Second Life Syndrome'.

Send comments to Rivertree (BETA) | Report this review (#46941) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 17, 2005

Review by evenless
4 stars (1) Us. Very warm atmospheric song consisting of space keyboards, atmospheric, soft guitar and melancholic, beautiful lead vocals. (4/5)

(2) Acronym Love - warm and beautiful played piano introduction, great vocals with excellent electric guitar melody. Riverside composes like they have been composing progressive rock songs for years already. I could almost even say that this song is better than the average Pink Floyd song! (5/5)

(3) DNA - Interesting ambient sounds accompanied by the great velvet vocals of Mariusz Duda. A bit brave compared to the other tracks on this album, but still pretty good. (3/5)

(4) The Time I was Daydreaming - acoustic guitar introduction covered by softened Floydian synth and again the soft velvet voice of Mariusz. Very atmospheric track! In the last minute the song slowly transforms into an essentially good prog-rock song. (4/5)

(5) Stuck Between. Melancholic and inspired prog-rock. One of the nicest tracks on this EP. This song could have easily been on Out Of Myself or 2nd life syndrome!(5/5)

(6) I believe (Live). Again insnpired vocals, probably at its absolutle best, warm piano and Floydian guitar, with a recognizable strong melody. (5/5)

(7) Loose Heart (Live). New Age introduction with same melancholic and melodic vocal and neoprog rhythm section with the same Floydian guitar. Vocal goes into pseudo death metal at the last 20 seconds of the song, and of course the audience likes it. (What an emotion in his voice!) (4/5)

(8) Out of Myself (Live). New fresh start with whispering "Voices in my head", and interesting vocals and interesting soft metal sound. Fortunately, inspired vocal strongly dominates again. (4/5)

Very good EP, maybe even excellent!

Send comments to evenless (BETA) | Report this review (#75370) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 18, 2006

4 stars This is one of those EP's that at over 36 minutes in length would have been a full LP back in the seventies. I really like this one. We get 5 studio tracks from 2005, and 3 live ones from 2004. I like the picture of Piotr the lead guitarist wearing an ANATHEMA shirt. Nice.

"Us" is a beautiful song with synths, gentle guitarr and vocals. "Acronym Love" opens with piano as reserved vocals join in. A full sound before 1 1/2 minutes.The tasteful guitar is so uplifting. A gorgeous guitar solo follows 3 1/2 minutes in. "Dna Ts. Rednum Or F. Raf" is my favourite track on here.This one is darker as it builds to a full sound 2 minutes in.This sounds so amazing when the guitar comes in. It settles briefly before coming back even harder 6 minutes in. "The Time I Was Daydreaming" starts with strummed guitar as synths join in. Nice atmosphere. Vocals are next followed by a beat 3 minutes in. Electric guitar after 4 minutes.

"Stuck Between" has a good beat as vocals and synths lead the way early. It's building as guitar comes in around 2 1/2 minutes. It's pretty hypnotiic for a while. Cool song. "I Believe" opens with the cheering crowd as piano leads off. Guitar and vocals follow. "Loose Heart" is my second favourite tune on here. Atmospheric guitar to open as keys and drums join in. Vocals after a minute. It builds in intensity until it turns violent 5 minutes in. Nice. "Out Of Myself" opens with him whispering "Voices in my head" over and over with the crowd joining in. Guitar and bass join in. Full sound 2 1/2 minutes in. Check out the intense ending.

It will be hard for them to put out a better EP than this one. Highly recommended.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#88922) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 04, 2006

Review by OpethGuitarist
2 stars This album has the feeling of a coffee shop atmosphere. Most of the songs here are very laid back, soft, almost neo-prog like to a degree. There are a lot of warm sounds here and would be great to play by a fire with some hot cocoa during the winter months.

I can't help but be lulled away from the music on the album. The sounds aren't awful, but it's nothing really captivating, and hence, having a coffee shop feel. There isnt much "progressiveness" here in the strictest sense, but I am reminded of a mixture of gentle Floyd concepts and accessible rock.

I find little of value here, as this is a safe and gentle record, one that might be good for certain occassions around others who are not interested in prog, but little use for personal listening.

Send comments to OpethGuitarist (BETA) | Report this review (#95528) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 23, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars I remember that I was quite disappointed when I listened to this work when it was released. I was probably expecting too much from the follow-up of their great debut album "Out of Myself".

The studio tracks almost sound like Marillion Mark II ones. Totally boring during "Us", but quite brilliant during "Acronym Love". This one will hold some fantastic guitar moments and the melody is quite good. The highlight on this long EP (or mini-album).

The hypnotic "Dna..." is a bit too repetitive during its seven minutes. Good guitar riffs and a rather weird atmosphere. But it never lifts off, I'm afraid. I would have liked some more energy in here. And I won't get it with "The Time I Was Daydreaming", which is a dull track. There is nothing to remember from this song. It sounds all the same during the whole lenght.

"Stuck Between" is another good one here. More "Out Of Myself" oriented. Somewhat "amospheric" but tranquil again. All these studio songs are so sensible. We are millions miles away from the hard music they produced on their first album, which will remain the reference for me.

Even the choice of the live songs is more in favour of quiter pieces. This EP (still over thirty minutes) is not what I had expected from "Riverside". I just hope that they won't be a "one jewel wonder". "Loose Heart" and "Out Of Myself" come as a rescue for this release. The latter being the best live number available IMO.

I guess that this work could only please die-hard fans of the band or progheads willing to listen to the soft end of their repertoire. But it is not my case. Two stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#138330) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 14, 2007

Review by progrules
3 stars In my other reviews of this magnificent bands albums I several times referred to the different styles that characterize Riverside such as the ballad style, the rough style (Jekyll and Hyde) and the epic style. Three significantly different styles that are all very representative for this Polish band and the interesting thing is they work different on almost everybody that follow Riverside's releases. In my comments I stated that the epic style and the rougher style have my preference and therefore I mainly love Second Life Syndrome and for instance The Same River on the debut Out of Myself. But here we have a mini album that is dominated by the softer side of the band.

And that´s the side I least prefer. Although I admit that this style suits them very nicely I still prefer the other two because they suit me better personally, so not meant as criticism towards Riverside. And it´s all relative too I have to say because a song like Acronym Love is absolutely great and wonderful and is in the end my favourite of this release. On the other hand we have a song like Stuck Between that sounds really boring to me. Two other significant songs on this album, the Dna song and The time I was daydreaming are right in between the two earlier mentioned examples. The live tracks are less significant to me because they are meant as fillers and are actually songs from their debut album.

So all things considered I think this a very nice release but with just one excellent song on it and this makes me decide for the three stars this time. Recommended for fans of the softer style of Riverside

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#158883) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 18, 2008

Review by UMUR
4 stars What a nice little album Riverside have made here. Very much in the same vein as their 3 REAL albums with the warm and touching vocals from Mariusz Duda and the beautiful guitar playing from Piotr Grudzinski. The songs are generally more mellow than on the albums though. I am a big fan of the quit Riverside songs though, so this is kind of a treat to me. There are 5 studio tracks on the album which are like I just described more or less ( Dna ts. Rednum or F. Raf is a bit different, but you´ll have to listen to understand) and 3 live songs recorded in 2004. The live songs are in good audio quality and nicely performed.

Riverside is such a great band in my eyes, one of the new true progressive pioneers. Not especially innovative but it´s finally a band where you know it´s them when you hear their music. Their style and sound is so warm and delightful, but sometimes also frighful and angst ridden. A nice cocktail if you ask me.

For fans of melodic progressive rock this is a must have along with the 3 REAL studio albums from Riverside. It´s not a masterpiece, but and excellent addition in my prog rock collection. 4 stars.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#160350) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 31, 2008

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Voices In My Head is a nice EP where Riverside focuses on their more reflective side. With Us, Acronym and The Time I was Daydreaming there are 3 really strong ballads that rival the master of tasty balladry, mr Steve Wilson. If you like this style, you should sure check out Mariusz Duda's solo project Lunatic Soul.

But the best comes from two surprises that reveal a more experimental side of Riverside. DNA etc has a slowly developing start with atmospheric acoustic guitars and hazy vocals, but then at minute 2 they add an electronic beat that seems to come straight out of Depeche Mode. And indeed, a quick glance at the Riverside home site reveals the guitar player as a fan of Depeche Mode, Cocteau Twins and Fields of the Nephelim. Also Stuck Between uses an electronic beat to create one of their most moving little songs. A prog band doing Massive Attack.

Nice! More sidesteps like this please Riverside!

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#264073) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Review by Aussie-Byrd-Brother
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
4 stars There are some fans of Riverside who greatly miss the early days of the band, when they were a moody atmospheric progressive rock band without the metal elements they would later incorporate. Although those later albums are all excellent examples of the heavy prog genre, it's nice to see the band put out a newer work along the lines of their first album, although more adventurous fans of the band will still recognize plenty of the gloomy characteristics Riverside would maintain on their later releases. `Voices In My Head' is a valuable collection of mostly slower, thoughtful and heartfelt acoustic pieces full of melancholy and genuine human emotion, with immersive electronic elements and melodic progressive passages.

`Us' is a lonely drifting acoustic piece with lyrics full of longing and gentle hoping. I can easily relate to his piece, and it really touches my heart. `Acronym Love' begins as a subtle piano piece with a thoughtful lead vocal, then the entire band launches into a mid-tempo performance of a piece that wouldn't have sounded out of place on more recent albums by Marillion and Porcupine Tree. Lovely melodic guitar solos throughout, and a powerful upbeat finale stop it from being too unhappy. `DNA...' is a a moody and slightly sinister 7 minute piece with droning vocals, aggressive chunky bass and cold programmed percussion. The first half of `The Time I Was Daydreaming' has lovely heart-broken vocals from Mariusz with quiet acoustic guitar and a warm chorus, before building in drama with spacey synths, urgent programming and searing guitar solos. Still very tastefully restrained thanks to the talented band who know when to hold back. `Stuck Between' is a very contemporary piece of sophisticated dreamy adult prog/pop with trip-hop beats, floating group vocals and a catchy but downbeat melody. Very nicely done, and this is even the sort of track that might attract the ears of non-progressive audiences!

The EP finishes off with three decent live recordings that offer moments of the heavier tracks from their more recent albums, but I think they could have included live performances of pieces that are more in the style of the new music on this release. Would have given the album an even more successful sustained mood.

`Voices In My Head' is a perfect companion CD in the Riverside discography that can stand proudly on it's own merits as a full album. I think it might also be a fine place to start for beginners, as I think the album is oddly accessible enough for new listeners and even female listeners thanks to the heart-felt lyrics and pained romantic vocals from Maruisz. Just don't listen to the album on a broken heart, it just might cut a little too close to the bone.

Four stars.

Send comments to Aussie-Byrd-Brother (BETA) | Report this review (#846787) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 29, 2012

4 stars (8/10) Consider "Voices In My Head" a companion piece to "Out Of Myself" - indeed, it takes its name from the whispered recurring lyric in the opening of the title track of said album. It consists of 5 new songs, followed by a live performances of 3 songs from "Out Of Myself". There's no real met ... (read more)

Report this review (#1024853) | Posted by ScorchedFirth | Wednesday, August 28, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars VOICES IN MY HEAD... VOICES IN MY HEAD... This EP was released in between their 2 acclaimed full studio albums, and is a very nice mini album. As i said in my Second Life Syndrome review, not all the Prog Metal fans will enjoy this as other genres followers. This one even less because is softer ... (read more)

Report this review (#127847) | Posted by FranMuzak | Sunday, July 08, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars What we've got here is a mini album. It consists of five new song and three songs from their debut album, "Out of myself", played live. The new tracks aren't bad at all. Simple (compared to most Riverside songs), atmospheric, and full of emotion, based more on the performance of the vocalist ... (read more)

Report this review (#95555) | Posted by sularetal | Tuesday, October 24, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars A nice little album that will provide for an enjoyable listening for the Riverside fans, but compared to the album that precedes it sounds like left-overs that didn't make the cut for the album (Out Of Myself). Riverside explore their softer and more delicate atmosperic side. Basically it is ... (read more)

Report this review (#91707) | Posted by tuxon | Sunday, September 24, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Once in a while comes along a record where you seem to be at loss of words. Words seem not enough to describe the music... This was the case when I first listened to this EP. Somehow the prevoius record got lost in my collection, and I did not lend it the deserved attention.Which I did later. ... (read more)

Report this review (#81144) | Posted by Szöke Jenö | Wednesday, June 14, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is a nice maxi-EP with 23:26 minutes of new songs and 13:08 of live songs from their first album. Us starts things off with a gentle acoustic guitar number with very light, laid back vocals. Acronym Love starts off with a solo piano and vocal section for the first 1.5 minutes before the ... (read more)

Report this review (#73546) | Posted by adigitaldan | Thursday, March 30, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Ok for me the first album is materpiece...But this cd litle deception!!! I listened 4 or5 time and surly not bad..Not trace of metal and psycho aspect just soft song whit god vocal and backing job. The felling is so so..the live song is great different that original track!!! I think whit the f ... (read more)

Report this review (#34629) | Posted by progarctica | Thursday, April 14, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars After the great album "Out of myself"and seeing a couple of their concerts I have been waiting for another Riverside relase to find out how will they deal with the expectations of their fans (hey I`m one of them!). So I bought this preety little thing at the day of relase, and what can I say... B ... (read more)

Report this review (#34628) | Posted by Wolf Spider | Saturday, April 09, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of RIVERSIDE "Voices In My Head"