A NIGHT AT THE OPERA

Essential: a masterpiece of
rock music

Buy QUEEN Music
Studio Album, released in 1975

1. Death on Two Legs (Dedicated to...) (3:43)
2. Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon (1:08)
3. I'm in Love With My Car (3:05)
4. You're My Best Friend (2:50)
5. '39 (3:25)
6. Sweet Lady (4:01)
7. Seaside Rendezvous (2:13)
8. Prophet's Song (8:17)
9. Love of My Life (3:38)
10. Good Company (3:26)
11. Bohemian Rhapsody (5:55)
12. God Save the Queen (1:11)
13. I'm in Love With My Car* (1991 Remix) (3:05)
14. You're My Best Friend* (1991Remix) (2:50)

Search QUEEN A Night At The Opera lyrics

Search QUEEN A Night At The Opera tabs

- Freddie Mercury / vocals, piano, vocal orchestration
- Brian May / all guitars, piano, ukelele, toy koto, vocals
- Roger Taylor / percussion, vocals
- John Deacon / bass, double bass, electric piano

1975 & 1991 Queen Productions ltd. Re-released 1991 Hollywood Records with 2 bonus tracks noted with * in track listing. produced by Roy Thomas Baker and Queen

Thanks to tuxon for the addition
and to Tarcisio Moura for the last updates

QUEEN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy QUEEN A Night At The Opera Music

Greatest Hits I, II & III - The Platinum Collection (3CD)Greatest Hits I, II & III - The Platinum Collection (3CD)
Box set
Hollywood Records 2002
Queen: Greatest Hits I & IIQueen: Greatest Hits I & II
Hollywood Records 1995
Greatest Hits: We Will Rock You EditionGreatest Hits: We Will Rock You Edition
Remastered · Special Edition
Hollywood Records 2004
Live at the Rainbow (Deluxe Box Set)Live at the Rainbow (Deluxe Box Set)
Hollywood Records 2014
News of the World [Vinyl]News of the World [Vinyl]
Collector's Edition
FONTANA HOLLYWOOD 2009
Vinyl$14.19
PRESENTING LEE SUTTON LP DRAG QUEEN VINYL JUBILEE LABEL 2073 Shrink Wrap Cover US $14.99 [0 bids]
30m 31s
BILLY OCEAN/CARIBBEAN QUEEN 07SP834 US $8.00 Buy It Now 32m 22s
Lady B.-Queen Of Desire DVD US $20.37 Buy It Now 35m 12s
Smiths - Queen Is Dead 180G Vinyl Record LP US $31.64 Buy It Now 35m 44s
Queen Ida - Mardi Gras (1994) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 37m 22s
LOVERBOY - Queen Of The Broken Hearts *DOUBLE PACK* - Ex 7" Single CBS DA 3705 US $6.81 Buy It Now 38m
QUEEN-DEEP CUTS 1973-1976-JAPAN ONLY SHM-CD 0413 E00 US $22.99 Buy It Now 38m 40s
ABBA (OZ PS 45 '76) DANCING QUEEN b/w THAT'S ME US $9.34 Buy It Now 40m 19s
QUEEN/FLASH GORDON w/OBI JPN P10960E US $21.00 Buy It Now 40m 57s
G.F. Handel - Ode For The Birthday Of Queen Anne Dixit Dominus CD US $23.57 Buy It Now 40m 59s
Killed The Prom Queen - Music For The Recently CD US $27.94 Buy It Now 41m 4s
QUEEN/GAME JPN P10875E US $18.00 Buy It Now 44m 5s
At the BBC by Queen (CD, Mar-1995, Hollywood) US $15.00 [0 bids]
46m 44s
QUEEN/SHEER HEART ATTACK JPN P10137E US $21.00 Buy It Now 50m 7s
QUEEN & VANGUARD " FLASH " CD SINGLE EXCELLENT 2002 US $3.39 Buy It Now 53m 50s
QUEEN - News of the World VINYL Elektra 1976- Good Condition US $12.00 Buy It Now 55m 16s
QUEEN - Pinbacks Badge Button Pin 25mm 1'' US $2.50 Buy It Now 1h
QUEEN,,FREDDIE MERCURY HAND PAINTED CANVAS PAINTING , SALE!!! US $102.33 Buy It Now 1h
QUEEN-JEWELS-JAPAN ONLY SHM-CD F56 US $30.50 Buy It Now 1h
QUEEN,BO RAP X2/SOMEBODY/RADIO/PLAY THE GAME,5 SINGLE JOB LOT,7" VINYL'S US $1.69 [0 bids]
Queen Greatest Hits I & II (1 & 2) # TOCP8535-36 (EMI Japan) New Sealed US $62.26 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Queen Same Title Japan Orig. LP OBI INSERT NM US $34.00 [5 bids]
QUEEN ELEPHANTINE SCARAB *WHITE SONS OF OTIS VENOMOUS MAXIMUS TONER LOW RAMESSES US $33.29 Buy It Now 1h 10m
SEX PISTOLS - GOD SAVE THE QUEEN - FREDDY SLEEVE CLEAR VINYL VERY LTD US $42.63 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Queen Sheer Heart Attack Japan Orig. LP OBI INSERT NM US $37.00 [5 bids]
Queen + David Bowie - Under Pressure - RARE Original 1999 UK Enhanced CD Digipak US $13.29 Buy It Now 1h 15m
The Good, The Bad & The Queen, The Good, The Bad & The Queen, Good US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
QUEEN - A NIGHT AT THE OPERA CD 1993 KOREA SLIPCOVER US $17.09 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Diana Princess Of Wales - Memorial Fund Tribute - Japan 2 CD Queen Puff Daddy US $15.40 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Heart - Little Queen (2011) - Used - Compact Disc US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Lily Pons 7" 45 Oz Vinyl EP - Queen of Song US $14.09 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Mondo Rock 7" 45 Oz Vinyl Single - The Queen and Me US $6.57 Buy It Now 1h 20m
GRAND PUBA, SLICK RICK, HOUSE OF PAIN, SHABBA RANKS, QUEEN LATIFAH #66 US $8.51 Buy It Now 1h 25m
QUEEN LOGO - Pinbacks Badge Button Pin 25mm 1'' US $2.50 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Scotland the Brave - Scottish Bagpipes By Queen's Own Highlanders,Owl Town Pipe US $4.20 Buy It Now 1h 28m
TRUCK DRIVER'S QUEEN / VARIOUS NEW CD US $8.60 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Live, Alice in Chains, CD, 2000, Queen Of Rodeo, Rooster, Would, Bleed The Freak US $1.99 [0 bids]
Queen - You Don't Fool Me - RARE 1996 Dutch IMPORT 4xTracks / Picture Disc US $14.24 Buy It Now 1h 31m
LP DEBARGE on MOTOWN Queen of my heart/Rhythm of the night US $1.99 [0 bids]
QUEEN/CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED LOVE JPN P529E US $17.00 Buy It Now 1h 35m
QUEEN THE GAME JAPAN CD OBI TOCP 67348 OOP MINT NEW ALBUM MINI LP CD ORIGINAL CD US $15.00 [0 bids]
QUEEN/WE ARE THE CHANMPIONS WLP PROMO JPN P230E US $72.00 Buy It Now 1h 37m
GIPSY & QUEEN - RE EDITION VERSION ITALO - PORTUGAL 45 MAXI LP US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Theresia - GOSPEL QUEEN ALL CLASSICS - Japan CD - NEW US $16.14 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Disco King And Queen - Japan CD JIGSAW ARABESQUE TONI BASIL SHOCKING BLUE SHOCK US $12.31 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Alfred Deller: Handel Ode For The Birthday Of Queen Ann US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 39m
Queen The Invisible Man 7" Vinyl US $6.81 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Queen of Rock 'n' Roll by Brenda Lee (CD, Mar-2009, Ace (Label)) US $16.86 Buy It Now 1h 41m
GENO WASHINGTON - BOOGIE QUEEN 7/45 SPANISH DJM 1977 US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 41m
The Witch Queen of New Orleans * NEW * Free Priority Shipping US $16.06 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Queen Of The Night * NEW * Free Priority Shipping US $16.18 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Queen of Rockabilly by Wanda Jackson (CD, Sep-2000, 2 Discs, Ace (Label)) US $17.21 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Handel: Four Coronation Anthems; Ode for the Birthday of Queen Anne (CD,... US $10.58 Buy It Now 1h 43m
BELL MAGGIE - QUEEN OF THE NIGHT - SJPCD200 US $20.50 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Queen Bee: The Antones Collection * by Sue Foley (CD, Jun-2009, Retroworld) US $14.68 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Sister Woman by Queen Esther Marrow (CD, Mar-2010, BGP (Beat Goes Public)) US $13.28 Buy It Now 1h 43m
QUEEN/BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY JPN P1430E US $17.00 Buy It Now 1h 44m
Music To Entertain Queen Victoria (CD, Apr-2011, Eloquence (Argentina)) US $10.92 Buy It Now 1h 44m
II [Limited Edition] by Queen (CD, Dec-2013, Universal) US $29.54 Buy It Now 1h 44m
Queen of Siam by Lydia Lunch (CD, Mar-2009, Cherry Red) US $15.95 Buy It Now 1h 44m
Trot Queen by Jang Yoon Jeong (CD, Feb-2013) US $12.52 Buy It Now 1h 44m
QUEEN/GAME JPN P10875E US $16.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
DELLER CONSORT/PURCELL/INDIAN QUEEN w/OBI JPN VIC2278/9 US $21.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Blues Queen by Bessie Smith (CD, Oct-2011, Phoenix Jazz) US $13.38 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Queen of Soul by Etta James (CD, Jun-2012, Kent Soul) US $16.86 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Queen of the Night by Loleatta Holloway (CD, Jan-2014, BBR (UK)) US $16.70 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Man of Inhyeon Queen by Original Soundtrack (CD, Jul-2012) US $16.64 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Queens Are Trumps Kirifuda Ha Queen by Scandal (Japan) (CD, Sep-2012, Sony... US $20.64 Buy It Now 1h 46m
May Queen by Original Soundtrack (CD, Jan-2013, Loen Entertainment) US $16.84 Buy It Now 1h 47m
A Day at the Races by Queen (CD, May-2014) US $29.54 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Party Queen [Bonus DVD] by Ayumi Hamasaki (CD, May-2012, SM) US $27.50 Buy It Now 1h 47m
THE RUBETTES - TONIGHT - SILENT MOVIE QUEEN 7/45 PORTUGAL POLYDOR US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
STYX - TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS - QUEEN OF SPADES 7/45 PORTUGAL A US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
QUEEN/GAME w/OBI JPN P10875E US $32.00 Buy It Now 1h 51m
QUEEN/GAME WLP JPN P10875E US $56.00 Buy It Now 1h 53m
QUEEN - A KIND OF MAGIC - EXCELLENT CONDITION - 33 PAGES OF PICTURES AND INFO US $37.53 Buy It Now 1h 53m
78rpm LONDON CATHOLIC CHOIR faith of our fathers / hail queen of heaven US $20.47 Buy It Now 1h 54m
QUEEN - A KIND OF MAGIC - VERY GOOD CONDITION - 33 PAGES OF PICTURES AND INFO US $37.53 Buy It Now 1h 55m
QUEEN - SHEER HEART ATTACK [QUEEN] [CD BOXSET] [2 DISCS] - NEW CD BOXSET US $14.98 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Gardiner/Purcell Music For Queen Mary w/OBI JPN ERX2308 US $21.00 Buy It Now 1h 56m
ABBA/DANCING QUEEN JPN DSP112 US $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Andy Hug Silent Power Best of Best CD Queen Gotthard John Parr Deep Purple Amen US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 59m
The Cosmos Rocks by Paul Rodgers/Queen (CD & DVD), Oct-2008, Hollywood) US $7.99 [0 bids]
2h
QUEEN 7" Platinum Disc YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND US $110.88 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Gina Bachauer Queen of the Keyboard SR 90349 STEREO SEALED MINT US $25.00 Buy It Now 2h 4m
QUEEN IDA & HER ZYDECO BAND:' ON A SATURDAY NIGHT': 1984 SONET LP: EX / EX US $31.54 Buy It Now 2h 9m
Starday 45 The Willis Brothers Give Me 40 Acres ^ Truck Drivers Queen VG to VG+ US $10.00 [0 bids]
Billy Ocean . Suddenly . Caribbean Queen . LP . Shrink Wrap US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 17m
QUEEN "Made In Heaven" 1995 CD US $4.60 [0 bids]
Gaslight Anthem, The - Senor And The Queen (2 X 7in) NEW 7" US $13.51 Buy It Now 2h 20m
Queen Paul Rodgers Concert Unused Ticket, Chicago, Allstate Arena, 5-23 20 US $4.97 [0 bids]
QUEEN & DAVID BOWIE - UNDER PRESSURE 7/45 PORTUGAL EX US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 21m
GYM CLASS HEROES,THE QUEEN AND I,1 TRACK PROMO,RARE OOP VHS VIDEO US $1.69 [0 bids]
QUEEN THE PLATINUM COLLECTION - 3 CD SET IN CARD BOX - SMELLS OF CIGARETTE SMOKE US $8.53 Buy It Now 2h 25m
QUEEN SHEER HEART ATTACK HR CUTTING JAPAN MINI LP PLATINUM SHM CD US $45.80 Buy It Now 2h 28m
QUEEN - LIVE AT WEMBLEY STADIUM NEW CD US $24.92 Buy It Now 2h 29m
QUEEN Rock Montreal DVD NEW & SEALED US $13.56 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Queen Let Me Live PROMO UK Import CD Single US $34.99 Buy It Now 2h 42m
QUEEN - 2 x A Winter's Tale - 1995 UK CD & DIGIPAK CD Singles EX+ US $9.45 [13 bids]
Queen - Hot Space 2011 NEW CD US $18.06 Buy It Now 2h 45m

More places to buy QUEEN music online Buy QUEEN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for QUEEN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

QUEEN A Night At The Opera ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(59%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(29%)

QUEEN A Night At The Opera reviews

Review by Marc Baum
5 stars Finally we have Queen in the prog archives. Their first five albums are all prog, combinated with elements of pop, rock, swing, folk, blues, classic, musical. They played all these different styles and introduced the influences to the unique combination, which make Queen finally to one of the best bands the world had ever seen and heard.

The absolute masterpiece of their long career is without question the allmighty "A Night At The Opera" album, it's also the most flexible and monumental the band had ever done. On the record rule hard rockin' groovers like "Death On Two Legs" and "Sweet Lady", anthemic hard rock power ("I'm In Love With My Car"), eye-blinking chill-out melodies between jazz and opera-atmosphere ("Seaside Rendezvous", "Love Of My Life") and ambitious bombast-epics like the anthem "Bohemian Rhapsody". But the absolutely pinackle of the record is the best progressive hard-rock epic of all time, called "Prophet Song". Unbelievable how Freddie Mercury and the other members of the band handle these choir- tunes in the middle part! Any member of Queen was a great singer and also Brian May shows how a good singer he is, here in the magic "39". It is sensational, how Queen managed all of it here, to a time as the prog rock was going down and slowly died with the upcoming punk-revolution, which took control. With their grateful talents they builded up a bridge between avatgarde and hard rock and inspired not only the next prog giant in the form of Rush, but also younger talents like Savatage, Dream Theater, Symphony X or Spock's Beard.

R.I.P. Freddy Mercury

Send comments to Marc Baum (BETA) | Report this review (#40811) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 29, 2005

Review by Gatot
4 stars No one would argue that "Bohemian Rhapsody" is a song with prog elements in many ways: the style, the changing tempo and of course the dark lyrics (even though lyrics is not a pivotal element to classify a song as prog). It's also good to see that this song has been known worldwide by all music buffs, be it pop, rock or jazz lovers. When I heard Marillion's "Script for a Jester's Tear" (the song) I remembered Bohemian Rhapsody. Not in terms of similar melody, but in terms of how the style changes with the flow of music with a nice transition between style. Yes, Bohemian is much more abrupt in change of style compared to Script. My point is simple: if we consider Marillion's music under prog category judging from Script, why not Bohemian Rhapsody?

This album is terrific; together with "Sheer Heart Attack" the two are I think the finest of all Queen albums. My best favorite track is odd to many people and probably to you, i.e. "The Prophet's Song". Why? The melody of the song is really touchy. Musically, I like the choral section of this song performed a capella. It reminds me to Gentle Giant even though the choir style is totally different. Whenever I listen to this song, my pulse is running swiftly and I cannot let my mouth shut; I always sing with the band. It's so powerful song! The other track that has also stunned me is the opening track "Death on Two Legs" which has touchy piano opening followed with dynamic / rocking music and powerful / accentuated singing style.

It's a highly recommended album. Keep on rockin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild, GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#41040) | Review Permalink

Review by Trotsky
5 stars Ah! This is it! The album which contains both Freddie's piece de resistance (Bohemian Rhapsody which is surely destined to go down as the most progressive chart-topper in history) and the amazing Brian May masterclass The Prophet's Song. Anyone who listens to these two wonderful epics will certainly baulk at questioning Queen's prog credentials.

The whole band is in outstanding form on this career-defining album and the playing on the two afore-mentioned epics is really a thing of beauty. May's controlled aggression in The Prophet's Song is as spectacular as Mercury's songwriting in Bohemian Rhapsody is inventive and ambitious. They are two of the greatest prog songs I've ever heard and on the basis of this two tracks alone, A Night At The Opera is worth owning.

Amazingly, the rest of the album is a fascinating diverse collection of theatrical hard rock (Sweet Lady and Death On Two Legs), folkish ballads ('39 and Love Of My Life), music-hall (Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon, Seaside Rendezvous and Good Company) and piano-pop (You're My Best Friend). While Roger Taylor's I'm In Love With My Car isn't one of my favourite tracks it doesn't stop this album from being a fantastic experience that somehow manages to project an impression of being interwoven musically (although I can't put my finger on too many examples).

While I still believe Queen II to be the group's greatest prog achievement, this is a very, very close second. ... 90% on the MPV scale

Send comments to Trotsky (BETA) | Report this review (#41048) | Review Permalink

Review by Tony Fisher
4 stars An album of considerable variation, both in style and quality. The best bits (Bohemian Rhapsody and The Prophet's song) are as good as it gets, using multiple overdubbed harmonies and searing guitar, characterised by May's masterful use of effects (as befits a man with PhD in physics). Other tracks are also enjoyable (39, You're my Best Friend, Love of my Life) but I've never really liked Roger Taylor's compositions or his lead vocals and I'm in Love with my Car is no exception; it sounds crude. The rest tends to have a Vaudeville feel and is just OK but, overall, the album doesn't quite have the consistency of it's predecessor, hence the 4* rating. Still well worth buying.

Send comments to Tony Fisher (BETA) | Report this review (#41063) | Review Permalink

Review by Blacksword
4 stars One of the classic rock albums of all time!

BUT, is it prog? Here and there, yes it is. Putting aside my own mild reservations as to whether or not Queen should be in the archives, there is no getting away from the fact that this album is progressive in its own right. ANATO is a collection of brilliantly crafted, eclectic songs; fusing styles and moods with drama, comedy and camp. 'Death on Two legs' is a brilliant opener, with screaming guitar effects and a dramatic Cello build up, and witty bitchy lyrics about someone they know, but refuse to identify on the sleeve notes!

'Lazing on a Sunday afternoon' and 'Seaside Rendezvous' see Queen climbing into a comedic time machine and celebrating/lampooning a quintisessential English time gone by. Queen at their eccentric best!

'Prophets Song' is probably my favourite on this album. It's atmosphere of foreboding prophecy, is consolidated by the hypnotic depth of the multi tracked vocals, and dramatic heavy guitar interludes. May tinkles his mandolin over howling desert winds at the start of this semi epic, while Mercurys soft trembling vocals warn us of 'storm that gathers here' One of Queens greatest pieces IMO..

'Love of my Life' is simply a great love song, complete with wafting waves of Harp! The lyrcis are heartfelt and the piano part exquisitely sad. Dont listern to this at the tail end of failed relationship!!! Queen were masters at switching from comedy to tragedy in the space of a couple of songs, and ANATO is one of Queens finest hours in this respect. The beauty of this album is it's variety of moods and themes, which interweave with each other,cleverly avoiding any loss of continuity. The only weak points IMO, are 'Sweet Lady' and '39' and they're not that bad, just relativly not as good as the rest.

I need say nothing about Bohemian Rhapsody. It's a masterpiece, but I've heard it so much, that when I play this album, I always skip it! Such is the tragedy of radio/TV overplay. You cant blame Queen for that.

Send comments to Blacksword (BETA) | Report this review (#41424) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars Again I will rate Queen regardless of the "prog or not" debate as I will consider that this is one of the inevitable album of the 70's. I mean there was no escaping this album (or Queen in general) as you lived though those years! Even my grandparents had to admit to them being different , I even caught my mother humming a few songs (Best Friend , Somebody To Love , Scaramouchka the Bohemian that raps-sods-and-dies , etc...) simply because of the clever songwriting outstanding arrangements and sheer ingenuity. How could a male teenager resist the I'm In Love With My Car even if his car was a rust bucket?

Even so , I cannot help thinking that this album is slightly over-rated and mostly for Bohemians reasons. I mean there are weaker songs on this album , (I will not single them out, though) and songs thay are a bit too easy (Seaside RV) to my tastes! However , Queen must be a;long with 10CC the cleverest and most gifted pop/rock songwriters.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#41700) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 05, 2005

Review by Menswear
5 stars In the early 90's, Mike Myers and Dana Carvey litteraly resurrected Bohemian Rhapsody from it's ashes. The movie Wayne's World really showed to a huge crowd of youngsters that Queen is a huge band. I remembered that the national radio station brought the song back on air at a very high rotation.

And it's true, Queen has tremendous, enourmous talent and the album A Night at the Opera is certainly not a bore. You won't yawn one minute.

It is a very, very good rock and roll record but also a fairly good attempt at making it progressive. As Queen would shout it loud: 'NO SYNTHETISERS!' This record has no synths and it feels good to change of pace. Queen were capable of standing on their own legs and even creating the wave. Roger Taylor had his style, so did Brian May, Freddie Mercury and Deacon. They were better musicians than the Beatles, they had crazy ideas like the Beatles and they did gave a chance to their band members to expand their tastes, but we do feel the shadow of the White Album once in a while.

Mercury had a strange taste for songs that sounded like a 1950 musical (think of Honey Pie Side 4 of the White Album). Those are not the most progressive but they're fun like hell!

I'm very impressed by the containing of the record. It aged kinda well (like most Queen albums) and it has a lot of humor in it. Not a 'progressive rock' masterpiece, but certainly a real rock n' roll piece of history. Owning this record is possessing a true, genuine gem of the 70's that you play over and over throughout the years.k

Long live the Queen!

Send comments to Menswear (BETA) | Report this review (#42151) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 08, 2005

Review by chessman
4 stars I liked Queen from the beginning, buying 'Seven Seas Of Rhye' long before it became a hit. Nevertheless, 'A Night At The Opera' was the first of their albums that I bought. I always thought this one to be probably their best one, although a friend of mine, and equally long standing Queen fan, has always declared his favourite to be the previous one, 'Sheer Heart Attack'. The more I have listened to that one over the years, the more I have almost come to the same conclusion. Their best has to be one of those two, (although 'Queen 2' creeps into the equation as well at times). Anyway. Back to this album. I always admired the cover of this record, it is so neat and tidy, and looks almost Royal in its simplicity. Also, on the old vinyl LP, the record label is the same Queen crest as on the cover. This was a trick they were to repeat with the next offering, 'A Day At The Races', where the cover became black instead of white and the crest was altered somewhat. Even 'News Of The World' the next offering, had a crest for the label, although, again, it was an altered one. 'Death On Two Legs...' is an excellent opener, a rock song with good lyrics and harmonies, and nice piano. That has always been one of Queen's strengths, the wonderful harmonies. How Roger Taylor hits some of the high notes he hits, I dread to think. Pliers between the legs? Or is he a closet eunuch? The second track, 'Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon', is a typically theatical performance from the boys, very old fashioned in melody, with good piano and a concise but effective solo from Brian May. (My mother used to like most of this album!) 'I'm In Love With My Car' is a classic Roger original. Always the rockiest of the band, this is a simple but catchy song, with typically whisky soaked vocals from the drummer, and heavy guitar chords throughout. So simple, in fact, that even I was able to pick it up on the guitar! 'You're My Best Friend' was a single, and, again, is a catchy number, though not one of my faves. Interesting electric piano from John Deacon on this one. '39' has superbly atmospheric acoustic guitar work, and nice harmonies. Brian sings this one, and it conjures up what it is supposed to conjure up! Listen and see if you don't agree. Then comes the only average song on the album, the very ordinary, almost Stones influenced 'Sweet Lady'. Too heavy and strangely almost melody free. My least fave on here...and my mother didn't like this one either! 'Seaside Rendezvous' ends the old side one, and is another old-fashioned trip down memory lane. Well constructed, it again shows the writing talents of this outfit, and again has superior piano work. Another song to sing along to. 'Prophet's Song' opens side two, and is a genuine progressive piece, and the longest on here. Mysterious and enjoyable, with the classic ear-swapping vocals and guitar work shown off to good effect here. Listen through the headphones. 'Love Of My Life' is a nice ballad, starting off with atmospheric harp work that then leads in to that wonderful piano again. Not my favourite track, but a good song. 'Good Company', sung by Brian, is another old- fashioned tune, almost George Formbyish in construction, but very clever at the same time. Excellent. No need to mention 'Bohemian Rhapsody' as most people on the planet will know it. I used to play this loads, although even I am a tad tired of hearing this now. The instrumental version of the National Anthem, 'God Save The Queen' is a very apt way to end this record. I can't comment on the two bonus tracks, not having heard them, but this album is well worth the investment. Buy it!

Send comments to chessman (BETA) | Report this review (#42881) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 14, 2005

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Magnifico-o-o-o

"A night at the opera" is generally recognised as Queen's finest, and indeed most progressive album. Having been preceded by the phenomenally successful 6 minute single "Bohemian Rhapsody", the album was guaranteed a chart topping position even before it was released.

The title "A night at the opera" is taken from a film by the Marx Brothers, but aside from the operatic section of "Bohemian Rhapsody" there isn't actually much opera to be found here. Indeed, this is not a concept album, although the tracks do tend to sit well together.

There is of course the usual variety of styles. Freddie Mercury slips in a couple of his brief, effeminate songs ("Lazing on a Sunday afternoon" and "Seaside rendezvous") both of which sound instantly familiar. He also contributes another fine ballad along the lines of "Lily of the valley" with "Love of my life". Roger Taylor comes up with one of his best compositions in "I'm in love with my car", once again one of the album's heaviest tracks.

One of my personal favourites is Brian May's "'39", a haunting upbeat ballad. "Prophet's song" is actually the longest track on the album, at over 8 minutes. A fair portion of this is taken up with some multipart vocal acrobatics by Freddie Mercury assisted by some tape loops, similar to Brian May's guitar sections on "Brighton Rock" from the previous album. While the novelty of this was undoubtedly appealing when the album was released, it can wear a bit thin these days.

For me, the only real blooper on the album is "Sweet lady" which sounds weary, with a rather pathetic chorus.

So what of "Bohemian Rhapsody"? There had been successful singles previously which had breached the usual 3 minute limitation, "Hey Jude" by The Beatles and "McArthur Park" by Richard Harris come to mind immediately. Nothing however had prepared the music world for the sheer pomp and audacity of Queen's new single. The track moves through more moods and styles in 6 minutes than most bands manage on an entire album. One minute your listening to pseudo opera, the next your faced with a heads down straight ahead burst of rock. Despite the record company's misgivings about the wisdom of releasing the track as a single, it was helped in no small part by a superb video. At the time of its release, such videos were rare, MTV still being some years in the future. In the UK, the song took up residence at number one in the singles chart (at a time when a hit single still had some relevance), and the video was played repeatedly on TV. Even today, it is not hard to see why the song was so revolutionary, indeed if ever "prog-related" needed defining in a song, "Bohemian Rhapsody" would fit the bit perfectly.

So is "A night at the opera" Queen's best album? With the benefit of 30 years hindsight, I'd have to say in my opinion, no. While it was undoubtedly a landmark release, which had a major influence on many genres including prog, I consider "Queen 2" to be the better album.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#63008) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Review by Eclipse
4 stars QUEEN were at their creative peak in the begining of their career, as this and a couple of other albums suggest. The problem is: only TWO albums could stand the challenge of time with me, and those are Queen II and this one, A Night At The Opera. Despite being extremely different from each other, one is bombastic and epic, while the other is more calm, romantic and varied in songs, with a not so strong flow between them, i believe that QUEEN didn't miss the target on any albums on their attempt to vary their music style - both worked perfectly.

This album contains a lot of "fan-favorites" tracks like "Love Of My Life" and "Bohemian Rhapsody", which are truly classics from the band, but i hesitate on listening to them nowadays due to their constant playing, which caused me to get bored of both songs. I do admit that they are beautiful works by the band though, and "Bohemian Rhapsody's" video-clip is one of the most well done music videos ever. The real gems here aren't so known though, and i'm talking about "Death on Two Legs" and "Prophet's Song". The former is an amazing opener with delightful arrangements, and the latter is another glamorous epic, which only fails on the acapella part, which is TOO long for my taste...and a bit annoying. "39" is this album's piece by MAY, and it is much better than "Some Day One Day", it is very moving and nostalgic. The rest of the album may look like a group of fillers, but how i wish all the fillers on prog world were that good - "Lazing on ...." , "You're My Best Friend" , "Seaside Rendezvous" and the closing "God Save the Queen" are short yet very good pieces proving that "size doesn't matter" - therefore those songs shouldn't be ignored. The problem on this album - and one of the reasons it is not a masterpiece - is, of course, "Sweet Lady". This song just destroys the album's flow, making it not so consistent. They tried to make a rocker but failed miserably, producing a mediocre quasi-metal piece which is extremely annoying. Aside from that, the rest of the songs make this album deserving the 4 starred rating.

While not perfect, ANATO is QUEEN's most diverse album, but the problem is that the most diverse an album is the higher is the risk of one or another song end up not pleasing everyone, and this is what happened here. But the great majority of its tracks is top class and it is not one or another bad song that will take off the merits of the band on producing one of the most amazing pieces of art-rock ever. Only QUEEN II can win this seminal work of this extremely creative band from England.

Send comments to Eclipse (BETA) | Report this review (#63776) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 08, 2006

Review by Guillermo
4 stars This is maybe Queen`s best album.

I bought this album in mid 1980. I listened to Queen for the first time in 1976, not being very interested in the band. It was until early 1980, when I listened to their "Live Killers" album that I really liked their music. So, I bought this album, which I listened for the first time in 1977, without being very interested then. But in 1980, after repeated listenings, I liked very much this album.

All the songs in this album have very good arrangements, mainly in the vocals. It also has some funny songs which contast with the more elaborated "Progressive" songs. My favourite song from this album is "The Prophet`s Song", which includes great guitars and great vocal arrangements."Bohemian Rhapsody" is another very good song, again with great vocal arrangements. "You`re My Best Friend" is one of my favourites, a very good song composed by John Deacon, with good lyrics. "I`m in Love with my Car" has very good guitars, and very good lead vocals by Roger Taylor, who also wrote this song. "Love of my Life" is a very good ballad. Among the funny songs are "Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon" and "Seaside Rendezvous".

In conclusion: a very good album, with very good arrangements. All the musicians shine, but again, Brian May made sound his guitars very well, and maybe he shines more than the other musicians, but Queen was a very good band as a whole.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#79919) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Review by Seyo
3 stars QUEEN addition to the PA has been one of the most controversial issues in the recent times on the forum. Of course, the debate over "is this band prog or not" can go on and never stop, so let's try to focus on this album. "A Night At The Opera" is usually considered to be the band's highest achievement, where they showed great ability to craft interesting, innovative and melodic songs. Blending many influences of pop culture until that time proved irresistable to audience, especially young teenagers who find in this record everything a perfect pop product must have. Yes, I surely adored "Bohemian Rhapsody" in my high school, with its "operetic" and "symphonic" elements - it seemed to me so "avant-garde". Well, after many years I gave it another listen just to try to refresh my memory after a long abstination of QUEEN, which is justified by their crappy mainstream pop career after "The Game". This time, I finally confess, "A Night At The Opera" proved to be just a dated experiment which lost much of its appeal over the years. Simply, for the year 1975 it can go pass the mark as one of the best albums of "glam-rock" era, but now it is just worth checking for historical reasons. Surely, I am no fan of QUEEN and the best opinion I can give about them is that they were surely capable of great showmanship and amuzement. Alas, from music (especially prog, avantgarde or artistic...) I always expected much, much more....

Send comments to Seyo (BETA) | Report this review (#80961) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 12, 2006

Review by WaywardSon
5 stars This album is a classic if ever there was one! Queen were ahead of their time! The first four Queen albums were their best, after this masterpiece they gradually got weaker and weaker, going in a horribly commercial direction.

The vocal harmonies on "The Prophet Song" and "Bohemian Rhapsody" are absolutely mindblowing (considering this is 1975) Roger Taylor´s drum sound on this album is fantastic and it is great to listen oh headphones. A very well produced album.

There isn´t one weak track on this album, they are all classics, from the ballad "Love of my life" to the proggy "Bohemian Rhapsody" There isn´t a dull moment because all the songs are so different from each other. "Good Company" is a sad but brilliant song written by Brian May, while "Death on two legs" is an angrier rocker written by Mercury " Then there is the acoustically driven´39" and the rocking "I´m in love with my car" All the band members have turns in the songwriting credits.

No real album/CD collection is complete without this CD/album.

Send comments to WaywardSon (BETA) | Report this review (#84620) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, July 23, 2006

Review by clarke2001
5 stars Along with the "Queen II", this album is often being used as a proof that QUEEN must be considered "progressive". However, if you try to do not-so-deep analysis of all the track included one by one, you will soon find out that this album is not very progressive at all, except for the few tracks. It's very good, nonetheless. We heard "Bohemian Rhapsody" on airwaves so many times (despite the lengthy clocking) that this masterpiece became almost annoying.

The album provides plentiful of good tunes, the opener "Death On Two Legs" is an excellent example, with it's nasty lyrics and unusual chord progressions. "I'm In Love With My Car" is another brilliant piece of hard rock, sung by Mr. Taylor the drummer and with outstanding drum passages. I'm often wondering why he didn't used to grab the microphone more often. He's got harsh, rocky, ballsy voice similar to Joe Cocker's, if not better.

Another nice hard rock tune is "Sweet Lady" often overlooked by the fans themselves, but not bad at all.

As the opposite of the hard rock songs, we have a bunch of vaudevillian mockeries, such are "Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon" (with unbeatable Freddie's voice mimicking pre-WWII pronunciation), "Seaside Rendezvous" and "Sweet Lady" utilising ukulele, and vocal imitations of woodwind and brass instruments by band members. I really appreciate when someone is able to make a masterpiece and without any hesitation implement a solid amount of good humour inside. "You're My Best Friend" was the first huge success written by the band's quiet man, Mr. Deacon. The first (and perhaps the only one) appearance of the electric piano on Queen's track., but aside from that fact, it's nothing special.

"Love Of My Life" is another very lovely ballad, usual ingredient of Queen's concerts. Quite poppy, but excellent work. One gem often overlooked by progressive rock fans is one of Brian's masterpieces, country-blended "'39". Progheads are reluctant to listen or analyse this song because most of them are not fans of the country 'n' western music. Well, neither am I, but hereby I'm responsibly making a statement: this song is a masterpiece of progressive rock. Why? I know that lyrics are less important aspect for defining a genre, but...did you've ever heard about the relativity of time? Of course you did. You know, there's that phenomenon that good old Einstein noticed for the first time - the fact is, if you travel with a , let's say, spaceship close, similar, or even faster than the speed of light, the time will not be passing with the same speed for you and for someone that you left on the ground outside of your faster-than-light vessel.

(Warning: Spoiler following.) Anyway, in the year of '39 a group of astronauts-volunteers started to look for the new home in the stars, and they had left their wives and families. A bit later, they came back to their planet, and one of them recognised his infant daughter in a grown-up lady because her eyes reminded him of eyes of her mother passed away long time ago... Beautiful. Touchy and tear-jerking. This tremendous story is wrapped with simple country guitar chords, but with the multi-vocal chorus that resembles the real science-fiction atmosphere. Again, no synthesizers.

On the other hand, "The Prophet's Song" is a real prog rock piece even form the purist's point of view. Magnificent vocals and guitars, and all the other song's attributes can gain only superlatives. I dare to say that this song is the first progressive metal song ever.

And last but not the least, "God Save The Queen", a brief adaptation of British national anthem will be their concert-closer for many years to come. This one is much more majestic than GENTLE GIANT's version labelled "The Queen".

One more thing must be mentioned: Queen's ability to float the songs smoothly from one to another, giving the album almost conceptual feel. The best example is interlude between "The Prophet's Song" and "Love Of My Life"; it's really difficult to say where one song is ending and another one beginning.

There are a few more things that could be mentioned, but they are not so relevant, and I think I exposed more than enough parameters to present my vision of this album. For overall rating, count the stars carefully.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#97755) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 09, 2006

Review by Chris S
4 stars 1975 .....A Night Of The Opera. What a year for progressive music, what a year for Queen. Definitely their best work with a blend of pop, progressive rock, folk even!, choral pretentious opera type epics like ' Bohemian Rhapsody'. Queen were ably suited in the vocals department but it has to be said that Freddie Mercury probably IMHO has the best ranged vocals I have ever heard. This album was made the same year as 10cc's ' The Original Soundtrack', they too influenced with orchestral arrangements. Must have been the year to unleash these classics for progressive rock. The album does not have a weak moment but check out ' The Prophet's Song' the poppish ' Your'e My Best Friend' and well you already know the epic ' Bohemian Rhapsody'. Yet another mega band to emerge from the UK in the 70's. This album deserves a solid 4 and a half stars.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#103357) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 16, 2006

3 stars I've never been a big fan of these guys although I love it when they rock out. There is no question that Mercury was an amazing singer and I really like May's style. I heard May being interviewed on a Toronto radio station years ago and he said he used a coin instead of a pick to play his guitar.

"Death On Two Legs" is mostly about all about May and his beautiful playing. "Laxing On A Sunday Afternoon" has some funny vocals and piano although the song ends with some great guitar. "I'm In Love With My Car" is a powerful song with tremendous vocals and guitar. This one is my favourite off the album. "You're My Best Friend" makes me smile as it is a song of my youth (14 yrs.). I've always liked this pop tune. " '39 " is very Folk-like with strumming guitar. It reminds me of THE STRAWBS. "Sweet Lady" is a great little rocking tune. "Seaside Rendezvous" is a funny, romantic song.

"The Prophet's Song" has a lot of good vocals and harmonies although the vocal section gets too repetitve and goes on too long. I'm not a fan of "Love Of My Life", but I do like "Good Company" a fun, catchy tune. "Bohemian Rhapsody" is a brilliant, amazing song that was unlike any other that had been played on the radio up to that point. The guitar solo before the 3 minute mark is beautiful. The song then becomes operatic and funny at the same time before it really rocks out( my favourite part) then winds back down."God Save The Queen" is ok, although the drums are annoying.

I totally agree with Seyo's review, this is good but not an essential addition to your prog collection. 3.5 stars.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#114304) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 05, 2007

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
4 stars "A Night at the Opera" is recognized by most of the fans and critics as QUEEN'S Magnum Opus and there are many reasons to agree being the strongest "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Prophets Song" despite I agree musically is the most solid, I have a special weakness for "A Day at the Races" that will try to leave behind when writing this review..

The band had reached their maturity and the harder edge of their first albums for a more eclectic and explorative sound that dared to escape from Rock to touch the doors of Vaudeville, proving how versatile this great band always was

Now, many Prog purists (including myself) made a scandal when QUEEN was added to Prog Archives, but with the pass of the months almost all of us are convinced that they deserved to be mentioned because their relation with our dear genre can't be denied.

But without more empty words, lets check the album:

Death on Two Legs seems like a return to the heavier roots but much more elaborate due to the excellent piano intro, but it's clearly a Brian May track with plenty of room for his unique guitar performance and a lot of drama in the vocals.

Lazing on the Sunday Afternoon and the posterior Seaside Rendezvous should be seen as two of a kind, the Vaudeville is back after decades od death, nice relievers that add a bit of comedy and relief to the dramatics of other pieces, this is the way in which an album gets balance, mixing hard with lighter tracks to avoid saturation in the audience.

I heard people saying the two are just fillers, but I believe they play a very important role in the album keeping the balance.

I'm in Love with my Car is probably the weakest spot of the album, the heavy distorted sound and the good vocals by Roger Taylor can't save it from the monotony, well not every album is perfect.

You're my Best Friend is a cute track, not memorable but good enough, the powerful vocals by Freddie are the highest point of the song, this added to a nice melody make of it a very pleasant listening experience.

39 is an incredibly beautiful song, the acoustic folksy sound combines perfectly with the voice of Brian May and the melody is simply perfect, simple but one of the most memorable tracks of their whole career.

Sweet Lady is another hard track that is another weak spot, not bad but neither in the level of the rest of the album,

Now it's time for the real deal Prophet's Song is absolutely perfect, the quintessential QUEEN Prog track, has absolutely everything great piano, outstanding guitars, the rhythm section is just perfect and the powerful vocals by Freddie and his choir is just breathtaking, the best song of the album by far.

Love of my Live with the harp and the romantic feeling may sound cheesy for some fans, but is a song full of a different kind of drama, the band achieves perfectly the task to transmit a very strong feeling without falling in the common cliché, more important than the lyrics is the way they are song, you really believe what Freddie is saying.

After a short epic, a dramatic song and before a pompous stravaganza the band required another comedy relief and Good Company provides it, lowering the tension and preparing for the most famous track of their career, the ukulele gives a very nice touch, cute little song that fulfills it's purpose.

Without any doubt Bohemian Rhapsody is the song that catapulted QUEEN to the fame, as any Opera, starts dramatic and exaggerated with very theatrical lyrics that describe the situation as in a theater, the changes are soft but not for this reason less radical, they manage to make a great transition from one to the other until the point where Brian's guitar announces the operatic vocal madness of Freddie and the band, everything is perfect and to end a strong heavy section, another track that has everything.

The album ends with God save the Queen which is simply an anecdote and the perfect closer for every concert from then till the death of Freddie, where the story of the band ended, because no matter who they hire, there's no QUEEN without Freddie Mercury in the vocals.

Some people believe everything they did after this album seems pale in comparison, but I do believe "A Day at the Races" is the twin album, not so pompous but equally strong.

I would love top rate "A Night at the Opera" with 5 stars but there are some small flaws and according to the interpretation of the guidelines, no Prog Related album should be rated with the maximum, so 4 stars may sound unfair but IMHO is the precise rating, because "A Night at the Opera" has a clear connection with Prog, if not I would have to go with 3 stars, thanks God I didn't had to make an injustice in this case, maybe in a non Prog site I would go with the top rating.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#134938) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 26, 2007

Review by Flucktrot
3 stars Queen again fail to deliver a prog masterpiece, but that's just fine, because I really don't think that was their goal in the first place. What we have here is a collection of hard rock, progressive rock, and a genre that is composed entirely of Freddie Mercury's odd musical flights of fancy (usually the lowlights of any Queen album for me, by the way). Even though it can sound so varied, every element here has that Queen uniqueness.

The rock: Death on Two Legs, I'm in Love with My Car, '39, Sweet Lady. Of course I bought this album for Bohemain Rhapsody, but these rockers really made me confident in my purchase. Death on Two Legs has one of the most effective uses of the Queen chorus that I can think of, and plenty of heavy guitar from May. The same goes for ...My Car and Sweet Lady, except they are a bit less catchy. '39 was a great surprise: a thoughtful, reminiscent tune that demonstrates May's songwriting versatility.

The prog: The Prophet's Song, Bohemian Rhapsody, God Save the Queen. The Prophet's Song is also a real find--to me it's a glimpse of the kind of music that Queen would have produced if they would have remained in their Queen II mindset. You'll also hear a unique, multiple-Freddie echo section that demonstrates the band's musical ability to harmonize so quickly and creatively. Of course, the band saves their best for last, and Bohemian Rhapsody is where Queen put together all their potential for energetically and concisely combining their rocking, symphonic, and operatic facets. It's overplayed for a reason--it's unique, catchy and creative music. Also, great touch by rounding out the album with the overdubbed guitar piece, God Save the Queen.

The eclectic Freddie moments: Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon, You're My Best Friend, Seaside Rendezvous, Love of My Life, Good Company. Of course, the whole band was on board for these tunes, but I don't think they would ever have been recorded without Mercury. Most of them are goofy or overly sappy, but thankfully they are short. Unfortunately, for me they really inhibit the cohesiveness and flow of the album as a whole.

Plenty of great moments, and also a number of forgettable ones. If you want an introduction to Queen, this is a good place to start, but I think that each of their earlier albums is at least as proggy as this.

Send comments to Flucktrot (BETA) | Report this review (#140754) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 27, 2007

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
3 stars Within A Night at the Opera, one can find all the ingredients that would make Queen arguably the most irritating band of a generation, at least among those who achieved mass success - the snarling disdainful rockers, the flowery fey ballads, the striking of poses for the sake of it. There was something so plastic and manufactured about Queen that was evident enough at the time, but is embarassingly obvious now. From an artistic perspective, they could only succeed at the novelty song, and one album of such material is quite sufficient. That album is A Night at the Opera, which actually works on a number of levels, from the swipe at some politician or another on "Death on Two Legs" to the jolly eclectic hit "Bohemian Rhapsody", and even parts of the "prophet's Song" do pass muster as a sort of Star Trek version or madrigal music. Some of it, like "I'm in Love with My Car" and "Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon" only work because we have not yet had it up to here with the whole absurdity schtick, but "39", however tongue in cheek it may or may not be, is just a fine song.

After A Night at the Opera, Queen produced a second Marx brothers inspired album which was basically identical except they forgot to, or were simply unable or unwilling to, include any good songs. If you don't know Queen, and I can't see quite how, or if you just feel you must have something by them, you can start and stop right here, because it's all downhill afterwards, much in the manner of the British Empire and its namesake monarchy.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#157548) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 03, 2008

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars THURSDAY 18th DECEMBER 1975

It was the day I have purchased this album. Just before attending Jaws. These two events are closely related in my old mind.

As usual, one gets a fabulous opening song. Death On two Legs belongs to the great Queen songs. Fabulous vocals harmonies, superb and wild beat, sublime May work. It should have last longer. With such a start, the best can be expected.

But the worse is just next door, unfortunately. Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon is a short and stupid song as Queen has already gratified the fans (same applies to the almost ridicule and useless Seaside Rendez-Vous). Press next and get straight into Roger's powerful I'm In Love With My Car. Very few drummers in the rock history will hold such a great role in a major band. Composing work and excellent vocals. He is of course always on the hard edge of Queen. But still, the melodies are not forgotten.

The childish Deacon You're My Best Friend has never been a fave of mine and the country-like 39 can't be called a masterpiece either. Or am I wrong? But we'll get into more powerful and serious territories with Sweet Lady. Nothing sweet, I bet you. A wild hard-rocking number as I like. The craziness of Brighton Rock is there again. Totally disjointed. A more typical May song and far much better than 39. Obviously.

Side B starts with an incredible track (May again). The Prophets Song is another jewel of this very good album. Not easily accessible, it features a very powerful and special a cappella vocals part. Maybe a warming up for some more to come.It ends up into a real heavy number. Just to remind us that Queen is of course not a prog band.

This song ends up with a fine acoustic guitar work which nicely flows into a jewel of a melody. Love Of My Life is such an easily recognizable Mercury theme. A dual song with piano and extremely melodic vocals. Did you say Queen ? A great song indeed.

Unfortunately, another silly tune follows. Good Company is a jazzy May composition which could have been avoided. Press next to reach God Save The Queen. I guess that the band could not avoid this.

Oh yes. I forgot to mention that there is another song before the closing number. It has been aired a few times and some people might have heard it once or twice. This song will never make a chart entry of course (too long to do so). Mercury had to distribute the single to have it played at the radio stations. Can you imagine? Almost six minutes! It will never work.

Well, it worked. An awful lot of course. It even became a number one in the UK and it remained there for nine weeks. Unprecedented. Can you imagine to combine opera and hard-rock? And it fu..ing works! One of the greatest song in rock history of course. But no one talked about prog in these days. and to me, this incredible song is not prog for a penny.

This album might suffer from having one of the most brilliant rock song ever-written. When I discovered it ages ago, it blew me of course. And I must confess that I never turn the radio off when I hear it. Again and again and again.

Anyway the wind blows...

Four stars but don't expect any prog in here. Maybe for their next album?

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#158977) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 18, 2008

Review by Sinusoid
4 stars Probably the album that represents the ''prog related'' collective. Queen is not a band one would typically think of when the words ''progressive rock'' come to mind, but A NIGHT AT THE OPERA has some of the perks that any good prog rock album carries. They key here is the number of styles Queen covers; it's not that they span the gamut from sea shanties to rock operettas to dramatic theatre rock to spacey folk to etc., but it's that Queen covers these styles so naturally that the multitude of genres covered is more of a positive, something that I cannot address to most bands that try this e.g. the Beatles.

In my mind, the theatrical opener is one of the best the album has to offer; ''Bohemian Rhapsody'' gets a little too much over-exposure and ''The Prophet's Song'' is prog excellence with subpar production. The rest is up to the discretion of the listener; the only song I find crap is the soppy ''Love of My Life'', but there are others like ''I'm in Love with My Car'' and ''Sweet Lady'' that are heavy pick-ups.

Send comments to Sinusoid (BETA) | Report this review (#160608) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 02, 2008

Review by russellk
4 stars The key to understanding this, the last of QUEEN's 1970s progressive albums, is that it is not really a progressive album at all - at least in the conventional sense. It is, instead, an album of uneven music dressed in theatrical clothes by turns progressive and vaudeville. It sold by the truckload, prompted by THAT song and its accompanying video, but I bet the album's contents surprised - and bored - many casual listeners.

'Death on Two Legs' is a typical QUEEN song: interesting without being outstanding. It is followed by the first of the vaudeville numbers, and then two excellent pop/rock singles, a ROGER TAYLOR rocker (that sounds more like STATUS QUO than QUEEN) and an anthemic feel-good track (albeit with a stolen keyboard riff). '39' shamelessly steals LED ZEPPELIN's 'Bron-y-aur Stomp' - ah well, they probably stole it from someone else - and I wonder why they bothered, as it's all rather innocuous. I don't think QUEEN do this sort of serious stuff very well: this lot are clowns at the circus, not troubadours. 'Sweet Lady' and 'Seaside Rendezvous' drift by, rock and vaudeville, with nothing to suggest that this is anything but a continuation of the downward slide of 'Sheer Heart Attack' - a few excellent songs padded out by dross.

Except for Side Two. 'The Prophet's Song' is a throwback to the glory days of 1973/4, when they wrote with abandonment. This song almost, almost gets back to the heights of 'Queen II', and is certainly the most adventurous they were to be until the very end of their career. Even so, the central vocal section has little of the verve of 'March of the Black Queen'. Nevertheless, this section and the guitar that follows are excellent. More dross, then 'Bohemian Rhapsody'.

Look, there are apparently a few protozoan beings on Pluto who haven't heard this song, so I don't really have to say anything - except to express my admiration of the band's daring. Fancy picking this as a single! I'm glad it worked. Great story, excellent if slightly cheesy lyrics (weren't they always) and fabulous musical dynamics. It was a hit for a reason - soft piano, raucous guitar, operatic vocal harmonies, a full-blown musical experience wrapped up in six minutes.

There's another song, another pointless novelty, that that's all. Pack up your bags. Take home two great progressive numbers, two very nice pop singles, and leave the rest behind. And that, sadly, is how we might summarise the rest of QUEEN's output (except you can delete the progressive numbers, and on occasion - 'Hot Space' - the pop singles).

Send comments to russellk (BETA) | Report this review (#165278) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 29, 2008

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
5 stars A night at the Prog opera

As a long time Queen fan, I cannot quite decide if Queen II or A Night At The Opera is the best Queen album, but they are clearly both masterpiece albums for me. Queen is one of my favourite bands of all time and it is fair to say that if it wasn't for Queen I would probably not have become aware of progressive rock. Queen converted me from 90's alternative rock to classic 70's rock and I have never looked back since.

With a great self-titled debut album, a masterpiece second album and a third, very good but not perfect album under their belts, this fourth album was a very important one for the band. A Night At the Opera was to become the band's breakthrough to a wider audience much due to the amazing mega hit Bohemian Rhapsody, possibly the most progressive song to ever become a number one hit.

Like Queen II, A Night At The Opera flows extremely well; many of the songs flow into each other making the whole greater than the sum of its parts. The sum of its parts would already add up to a considerable sum in its own right, but it is the album considered as a whole that really makes it into a masterpiece. All of the band's trademarks are here in full bloom. The hard rock, proto-metal of the early albums is still present, the commercial side of Killer Queen is also present as well as the progressive and experimental side of the band.

The four band members are all excellent musicians and Brian, Freddie and Roger all have very distinctive singing voices that compliment each other perfectly. As usual the three of them does backing vocals and also lead vocals on some songs. Roger sings his I'm In Love With My Car and Brian sings his '39 and Good Company, for example. John, the bass player is 'the quiet one' as far as his personality goes, but he never misses a beat.

Brian's guitar sound and technique is also instantly recognizable and unique. As usual on 70's Queen albums there are no synthesisers. But Brian's unique ability to make his guitars sound like any other instrument makes up for it. He even makes them sound like trumpets on some parts! Together with Steve Howe and Steve Hackett, Brian May is one of my favourite guitar players of all time. In addition to the more traditional instrumental attack of guitar, bass, piano, drums and vocals, we also find electric piano, banjo and harmonica as well as some less common instruments like a Japanese koto! There are also many vocal and instrumental effects, and various bells and gongs, etc.

The styles of music vary from acoustic Folk ballads to hard rock to almost experimental music, but all the time staying true to the distinctive Queen sound. The moods similarly vary from very serious and reflective to almost comedy to more aggressive. It is remarkable how well it all holds together given all the diversity. The Prophet's Song is a truly progressive song with an amazing a cappella section and driving hard rock.

A Night At The Opera is a masterpiece of progressive rock and a true must-have album for all Prog fans.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#176997) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Review by The Truth
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
5 stars OK first off you have to admit, Queen is not prog but they are pretty close in the category of creativity. This album is my favorite all-time undoubtedly not only because of the legendary song Bohemian Rhapsody but the entire album!

Death On Two Legs is an amazing song with a cool guitar riff which, (like a lot of Queen songs) was originally the piano part. It is an ode to someone who Freddie Mercury must have totally hated because of how vile and demon-esque his lyrics sound.

Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon is a rather silly song, (it is sung with a microphone in a bucket) but you have to love the guitar solo at the end.

I'm In Love With My Car is probably Roger Taylors best song ever which isn't prog at all but is still one of the stand-out tracks on the album.

You're My Best Friend is John Deacons love song, a soft keyboard based tune with awesome four-part harmonies. It is pretty easy to see why this was one of the hit singles.

'39 is one of the best songs on the album, a folk-rock tune with a prog-lyrical theme, (Something to do with a astronaut who went to find a new planet for the people of earth to live on but when he returns they're all dead.) The harmonies are very well done on this track as well.

Sweet Lady is one of the best rock songs with an odd time signature ever and although the lyrics seem a little rushed it is still pretty catchy.

Seaside Rendevous is another silly track in which the band actually imitates big band instuments. A very entertaining tack to listen to.

The Prophets Song is a masterpiece! The way it changes tempo so smoothly is incredible and Mercurys vocal performance is very well done.

Love of My Life is another soft love song, this time by Mercury, that keeps you amazed at the performance from start to finish.

Good Company is, like '39, sung by May and the main instrument is the ukelele-guitar, (It's not a ukelele or a guitar, it's a ukelele-guitar.) The song is a very pleasent listen no matter how silly the ukelele-guitar sounds.

Bohemian Rhapsody is Queens best track ever with its beautifully sung verses, the insanely... opera bridge and the hard rock ending. Probably the best song in rock history.

God Save the Queen is a beautiful guitar arrangement by May which ends the album perfectly.

All-in-all you gotta get this album if your a fan of rock... or your life isn't complete.

Send comments to The Truth (BETA) | Report this review (#211770) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 19, 2009

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'A Night At The Opera' - Queen (8/10)

Music aside, 'A Night At The Opera' was a massive undertaking. At the time, the album was the most expensive in terms of production, and each moment of the album was created under the meticulous eyes of the band, who could take as much as a day to even produce 30 seconds of material. It's safe to say that Queen were out to make a real masterpiece here, and while there is some material on the album that doesn't hit me in a big way, the majority of it makes it up to be true to it's intent. 'A Night At The Opera' is indeed; a splendid work, and arguably the best in Queen's repetoire.

As I've said, many of the songs on the album are great, with but a few small exceptions. The only real stinker here being the epilogue track 'God Save The Queen' (which I usually skip through anyway,) the less potent songs are still decent rockers that aren't out of place on this album.

There's a very prevalent classical influence on the album. From the operatic harmonies of Freddie Mercury in the bombastic climax of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' to the erudite piano introduction to 'Death Of Two Legs,' it really sounds like Queen is making a brand of classical music for the new generation of music. That's certainly not the only style shown on the album however. The most personal and moving track '39' delves straight into the realm of skiffle-folk. On another note, the most progressive song on the album, 'The Prophet Song' takes a much heavier approach, and has even been called by some as being the first 'power metal' song ever done (althought I tend to disagree personally.)

The best known song here is easily 'Bohemian Rhapsody' which is the climax of the album. I can't say this for many songs I've listened to, but the performance on 'Bohemian Rhapsody' is well near perfect.

With the great load of effort and talent that was put into this album, it's not hard to say that this is a masterpiece. It's not one of my favourite albums, but the world would not be the same without this gem of music. This is one to cherish.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#233339) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 21, 2009

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
5 stars Queen at its best, but ... For a long time, I've tried to avoid this album. I loved "A Day At Races" and though that this is its older, more famous brother who gets all credits, fans and more than fair share of admiration. Oh, how wrong I was. They both are good.

Guitars, they attracts me here most. It's simply something that Brian May can do very well and I'll always admire him for it. Even there's basically only one song I knew from previous encounter with songs from this record (Bohemian Rhapsody, yes this spectacular song), they are surprised me. They're better (mostly) than others. OK, I suppose that I should believe all these rumors (and ratings) about Opera, but I wasn't sure. I tended to keep with my dear old Races. From guitar paradise in first track to typical Queen, little bit ironic meant, partly seriously intended little song, quite uplifting. Only disappointed is The Prophet's Song, which is, well, weird. Maybe it just needs time.

5(-) for pleasant surprise. And for most of course, important rock album with a lot of prog elements. They clearly to heard, aren't they ?

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#252723) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 26, 2009

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
5 stars This was my first Queen studio album and it became an instant favorite of mine! Eventually after exploring the rest of their 70's back catalog I exchanged the top position for the slightly superior Queen II. But being my first Queen album I will always have a soft spot for A Night At The Opera and it's safe to say I'm not the only one!

There is no real purpose for me to talk about the individual tracks because we all know that this album is considered to be both a critical and commercial success. After all, A Night at the Opera has been consistently voted by the public as Queen's finest work and one of the greatest albums ever recorded.

The only composition that I'd like to highlight is the underrated Prophet's Song which is my personal favorite from the bunch. The track has some progressive influences but don't expect anything resembling Yes or Genesis. It starts off very atmospheric which is quite unusual but it's just as unique to hear an eight minute long Queen song! To think of it, this is the longest piece of music that Queen has recorded (not counting the multitrack medleys) and it's truly a magnificent piece of work.

This is an excellent release from start to finish and I definitely recommend it as an introduction album instead of all the horrible and inconsistent Queen-compilations out there. An essential piece of music for any rock music collection!

***** star songs: Death In Two Legs (3:43) Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon (1:08) Prophet's Song (8:17) Love Of My Life (3:38) Bohemian Rhapsody (5:55)

**** star songs: I'm In Love With My Car (3:05) You're My Best Friend (2:50) '39 (3:25) Sweet Lady (4:01) Seaside Rendezvous (2:13) Good Company (3:26) God Save The Queen (1:11)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#262287) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 24, 2010

Review by ExittheLemming
4 stars It Ain't Over Till The Fat Bottomed Girl Sings

Wading through the fields of rhapsodic blather that surrounds the making of this record, I had to fight the very strong temptation to conclude that deprived of the Beatles, Rock's finest scribes in the UK seemed desperate to adopt A Night at the Opera as the rather effete 70's child prodigy of Sgt Pepper. Judging by the more avuncular appeals for caution emanating from the other side of the pond, it seems Uncle Sam's appraisal of his nephew as nothing but a calculating little sprog not remotely equipped to follow in his father's footsteps, didn't fall entirely on deaf ears.

Despite some 300 million sales globally, Queen were always viewed with some suspicion in the USA as their provocative cocktail of pomp, glam, vaudeville twee and 'campness aforethought' did not sit easily with the regimented corp d'esprit of the heavily armoured division of rock fans. Amongst the 'earnest and hirsute', Fred and his troupers were considered too faggy to be heavy, too glib to be deep, too shiny to be dark and too goddamn ironic to be assimilated into any 'our gang versus the establishment' rallying cry. The rest of the world seemed more forgiving of their undermining of the traditional testosterone grunt of rawk and it could be argued that Europeans in particular, were more cognisant of the stylistic reference points that Queen employed (Noel Coward, cabaret, Music-Hall, Ivor Novello, operetta and those daring stage outfits worn by Mercury that were tantamount to Privates on Parade)

As far as musicianship goes, we can draw some telling comparisons with the aforementioned Fab Four e.g. apart from possibly Brian May, no-one in Queen or the Beatles would ever come close to be being described as a virtuoso but both bands also had three brilliant songwriters, one brilliant singer and one very ordinary drummer who sang all the crap songs.

Death on Two Legs (Dedicated To...) - The 'just dessert' course of Mercury's splenetic portrayal of one of those reptilian svengalis that inhabit the music biz. (The starter being that of Flick of the Wrist) Rarely has Freddie sounded this vicious and although it's easy to surmise he might just 'protest too much' and relish this villainy more than he abhors it, the lyrics leave no margin for such ambivalence:

Do you feel like suicide? (I think you should) Is your conscience all right does it plague you at night do you feel good, feel good?

Although the dedicatee is unnamed, their previous manager Norman Sheffield attempted to sue the band for defamation when he heard this track. Word to the wise Norm, if there's a smoking gun on the carpet, don't stoop to retrieve it with the casual rejoinder:

Whoops, I was wondering where I'd left that, thank you constable

May really steps up to the plate on this song and his crescendo of dissonant guitar effects on the intro sets the hostile atmosphere perfectly.Those familiar with Vincent Crane's piano on Gershatzer will probably detect a whiff of same from Mercury's florid scalar passage that precedes the sung sections. Great use is made of contrasting dynamics between the Spartan verses and massive choruses with the latter being punctuated brilliantly by Queen's signature stacked harmony layers.Yep, one of the 'hosepipe gang's' very finest songs.

Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon - Talk about contrasts, the inspiration here is clearly Noel Coward and British music-hall on a delightful (but all too brief) pastiche of 78 rpm wax cylinder antiquity. Even Brian May manages to coax a sepia tinted flavour out of his indelible guitar sound.

I'm in Love with my Car - This was probably the point at which most Queen fans started to approach a Roger Taylor track with the sort of trepidation that Beatles fans reserved for those by Ringo. Whether this burnt-out wreck was an attempt to sell Queen to the 'monster truck lovin' sh*t kicker' demographic is a moot point, but every tiresome boy racer cliché is here in abundance.

Told my girl I just had to forget her, rather buy me a new carburettor

There is not even a vestige of self-depreciating irony in Taylor's delivery and wedded to a composition that is a guttural dirge of droning barre chord angst, it just induces armchair road-rage in your reviewer. The hissy little oink even locked himself in a cupboard until Mercury relented in allowing this wretched song to appear on the B side of the Bohemian Rhapsody single. Now had the 'three talented ones' come up with an auto-mobile inspired tune, they might have populated a sleek cockpit with Danny La Rue as a drag racer (and I would pay to hear that).

You're My Best Friend - The Wurlitzer electric piano at the start always reminds me of Deep Purple's Demon's Eye but there the resemblance ends abruptly as we are ushered quickly thereafter into a sunny slice of breezy pop that would not disgrace even someone as accomplished in this medium as either Fleetwood Mac or Steely Dan. Although hardly prolific, Deacon's first two compositions certainly enhance both the albums they appear on (see the even poppier Misfire from Sheer Heart Attack)

'39 - I've never been a big fan of Brian's voice because as decent as it is, he just comes across as a bit well, sickly and delicate or lacking in conviction I guess. Throw in a sci-fi story about time travel accompanied by a country and western 'hand on belt buckle' hootenanny thang y'all and you have one very unhappy furry listening critter. The high pitched and 'other worldly' backing vocals are inspired but despite this enticing promise they never actually herald the tune deviating from what was inevitable from the outset. Times like these a man gets to thinkin'...them horses look mighty purty.

Sweet Lady - Despite a promising riff in what is for a heads down stomper, an unusual 3/4 meter, this is ultimately very disappointing. Freddie could normally salvage some mediocre riffing with a memorable tune or sheer wanton bravura (eg. Tie Your Mother Down, Stone Cold Crazy) but fails miserably to deliver on this occasion. Even the section in 4/4 time that follows just resembles a slowly deflated imitation Zeppelin.

Seaside Rendezvous - A quite ingenious, brilliant and outrageously tongue in cheek appropriation of Trad Jazz/vaudeville scat featuring a 'sung' brass section where Mercury and Taylor imitate with astonishing realism, clarinet, trumpet and tuba. They also provided the 'tap dancing' percussion interlude via the surface of the mixing desk with thimbles on their fingers. Rock bands with a sense of humour that surmounts body fluids, body parts, groupies and fart gags are rarer than eskimo porn.

The Prophet's Song - Perhaps the most overtly proggy track of their career and that it was penned by Brian May should come as no real surprise as of the four, it was he who was responsible for stretching and pushing his colleagues into new and uncharted territory the most. A brooding and foreboding song that paces its development very carefully and even features a very ambitious vocal canon which due to its daunting complexity, was seldom tackled in the live realm. This was another piece that May reputedly conceived while recuperating from a near fatal bout of hepatitis while in hospital. Given such a perilous and fragile condition it's hardly surprising that some of the lyrics and imagery betray a dawning sense of his own mortality couched in terms of an apocalyptic biblical flood:

and two by two my human zoo they'll be running for to come out of the rain oh flee for your life who heed me not let all your treasure make you Deceive you not the fires of hell will take you should death await you

The influence of Zeppelin is at its most palpable on Prophet's Song but I can also detect faint traces of Yes, Wishbone Ash and even Sabbath in places. A killer verse melody that leads into an addictive chanted chorus and if the intention of the a cappella canon was to replicate the audible symptoms of delirium, they have succeeded wholesale.

Love of my Life - One of the most beautiful and regularly covered numbers in Mercury's hugely impressive songbook. Depending on which source you believe to be the most reliable, it was a heartfelt sentiment addressed to Freddie's first (and probably only) long-time girlfriend Mary Austin. 'Good' songs cannot probably be appreciated to their full extent from out-with their referential context, but 'great' songs like this encounter no such obstacles to communicating directly to the human heart in a universal language every single one of us can understand.

Good Company - like Seaside Rendezvous this inhabits a similar territory to the Beatles When I'm 64 but its 'George Formby washboard ukelele' surface hides a salutary moral tale contained in a witty and punning lyric sung by Brian about the perils of material success:

Now marriage is an institution sure, my wife and I our needs and nothing more All my friends by a year by and by disappear but we're safe behind our door I flourished in my humble trade my reputation grew The work devoured my waking hours but when my time was through Reward of all my efforts my own limited company.

Bohemian Rhapsody - Notwithstanding I became bored scatty by dint of its stay at Number 1 in the singles chart for what seemed at least 3 years of my adolescence, there is very little that remains unsaid about this particular landmark in popular music. Even stripped of the celebrated mini operetta that lies at its centre, Bohemian Rhapsody would still consist of an achingly beautiful and powerful ballad that builds towards a coruscating heavy rock finale unmatched in any mainstream rock or pop genre.(Prog just might be the only conceivable exception) With the benefit of hindsight, In the Lap of the Gods from the previous Sheer Heart Attack album could be viewed as a precursor to this ambitious extravaganza and there is ample evidence to suggest that not even its composer Mercury had any real concrete idea what it would sound like until its completion.There are several factors that make the piece's success all the more remarkable e.g. it has a multitude of climatic peaks throughout but no conventional chorus to speak of, it's nearly six minutes long dammit and how many chart topping singles have 6 discrete sections that vary so dramatically in texture, tempo and style?

The lyrics are deceptively simple but have a carefully considered ambiguity that has long fascinated me and to this day I have yet to arrive at any clear cut consensus even in my own befuddled head as to their meaning.There are some clear references to both Goethe's Faust (where the hero sells his soul to the devil in exchange for all worldly knowledge) and Albert Camus' The Outsider (where the hero shoots a man for apparently no reason and is subsequently sentenced to death) but neither really square up to the nightmarish imagery that Mercury's disassociation of the real and the imagined presents. Some commentators have speculated at inordinate length that the song represents our Fred's 'coming out' and bidding farewell to a heterosexuality he never felt comfortable with couched in terms of his fear of being judged a 'deviant sinner' with the resultant shaming of his family and his own Zoroastrianism faith. Whatever, like the equally cryptic Lamb Lies Down on Broadway it is unequivocally a moral fable concerned with atonement and redemption albeit expressed in a deliberately allegorical style

God Save the Queen - Maybe the praise heaped upon the young Brian as the new fastest gun at the 'geetar' corral had gone to his permed head. Covering your own national anthem on a guitar solo will inevitably result in two things: Your efforts will be compared to the frankly daunting precedent set by Hendrix and: you might just consider yourself fit to be deserving of such a comparison. Dream on not so clever clogs (The ego has landed)

I know I'll be swimming against the tide here but as enjoyable, accomplished and ground-breaking as A Night at the Opera undoubtedly was, I consider it in many ways an inferior album to its predecessor Sheer Heart Attack. Both are worthy additions to anyone's music collection but for me, the latter's songs are uniformly strong and the Roy Thomas Baker 'ear candy' had yet to rot the band's teeth (i.e. Queen had more balls m'lady)

Send comments to ExittheLemming (BETA) | Report this review (#276300) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 04, 2010

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the Fandango?

The 2079 word thesis above has said it all; Queen's 'A Night at the Opera' is a definitive album of 1975, a year when prog was asolutely flourishing with many bands producing their best material. If you look at the best prog albums of the year, it reads like a veritable Best of Prog list. Let's put this into perspective before tackling why Queen's album is a let down. There was Scheherezade and Other Stories by Renaissance; The Rotter's Club by Hatfield And The North; The Snow Goose by Camel; Warrior At The Edge Of Time by Hawkwind; Free Hand by Gentle Giant; Minstrel In The Gallery by Jethro Tull; Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd; Godbluff by Van Der Graaf Generator and Electric Silence by Dzyan, among others. So Queen produced this album at the height of prog and yet did not include a single prog element except one penultimate song that we have all become accustomed to.

Of course I speak of 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. Perhaps this is a good opportunity to gush over this song. I believe it is quite simply the greatest rock song in history. It features a rock opera within its complex structure. We can all recite its Wagnerian lyrics with multi layered vocal harmonies:' Thunderbolt and lightning, very, very fright'ning me, (Galileo) Galileo (Galileo) Galileo, Galileo Figaro, Magnifico!... Bismillah! No, we will not let you go (Let him go!)' It is safe to say that the song became ingrained into pop culture as a result of this section alone. The structure is really three sections encompassing three distinct genres of rock.

The piano driven rock ballad begins the track after an intro of harmonies. The ballad speaks of a man who has killed a man, shot him in the head and now he is facing death row. As he is waiting in his cold cell for the bell to chime reflecting on his past life and it doesn't have much time (Iron Maiden, anyone?), about to walk down the corridor of no return to the electric chair, he hears angelic choral voices calling him; a battle between good and evil ensues in the murderer's mind.

The opera section is the most celebrated, most discussed section in Queen history. Using operatic terminology and harmonies the song defies anything done before or since. As the song builds to a crescendo the paroxysm of lightning explodes onto a power riff that is pure metal. The doors are blown apart with dynamite.

Section three is metal complete with the killer riff, lead break and screaming vocals. The murderer has escaped, a violent struggle and he is free. Mercury is stunning in this section as he screams to the world: 'So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye, So you think you can love me and leave me to die, Oh, baby, can't do this to me, baby, Just gotta get out, just gotta get right outta here ?ah!' It is a short section really and yet has managed to be the head banging national anthem. 'Wayne's World' captured it perfectly as the boys banged heads furiously in their car during this section. It all ends with a bookend, more piano, same melody as beginning; 'nothing really matters' and like all good operas finishes on a resounding gong. That's how you create a masterpiece.

That's about it, isn't it? Oh, that's right there are other songs. They pretty much disappear in light of this track but they are worth a small mention. The problem is the BR track is so massive that if you are expecting more like this you are in for a shock as nothing comes close and nothing is prog. This is disappointing and Queen had a huge opportunity to present a masterpiece and it is not even a pale imitation.

There are good tracks such as the single, 'You're My Best Friend' with a radio friendly catchy melody that I like a lot. 'I'm in Love With My Car' is fun with quirky lyrics and even quirkier structure. 'Prophet's Song' is very strange with great hooks and an acapello section repeating Mercury's vocalisations over and over, no music just masses of multi layered vocals. Weird and memorable but annoying on subsequent listens. And the live set and album closer, the bombastic patriotically British 'God Save the Queen'. Of course this is infamous for the track where Mercury appears on stage at the end in flowing royal robes and royal crown. He dips his crown to the loving crowd and retains his enthroned position as Queen of rock. Looks good in concert but sounds rather bombastic on CD.

Of course pomp rock was Queen's Curriculum Vitae but there is a lot of very ordinary music on the album. 'Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon' is short but appalling. 'Sweet Lady' is kitschy and corny. 'Seaside thingy' is eccentric trash. 'Love of My Life' is a crowd pleaser where Mercury gets crowds to sing along and that may be great to hold lighters up in the air and sway, but on album it is mediocre at best. So all this considered, here is an album that does not live up to the hype. Yes, it features Queen's and rock history's greatest song, and a killer single, but is that enough to gain masterpiece status? On a prog site I cannot recommend this, although the songs mentioned should appear on any progger's list, and you can get these on any Queen compilation which are recommended over this. You will get all the best songs of this on 'Greatest Hits' and the latest 'Absolute Greatest'. I think 'A Night At The Opera' is a worthwhile album but you may well find yourself using the skip button to get to the good stuff.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#279219) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 24, 2010

Review by progpositivity
2 stars Although this album contains their "signature song", the unusually structured and intricately arranged (if also somewhat overplayed) rock masterpiece "Bohemian Rhapsody", this is not Queen's magnum opus. For that, see "Queen II". This album is an interesting "grab bag" of songs ranging stylistically from hard rock to popular rock, art rock and even to 1920's era popular jazz.

Place the opener "Death on 2 Legs", a diatribe against a previous band manager, I'm in Love with my Car, Roger Taylor's requisite rocker, and Sweet Lady in the hard rock category.

Put "You're My Best Friend" and "39", into the popular rock category.

"The Prophet's Song" and "Bohemian Rhapsody" earn their distinctions in the art rock category. Both songs prominently feature rather unique vocal sections.

Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon, Seasdie Rendezvous, and Good Company sound to me like they were influenced by popular jazz music from the 1920's.

"Love Of My Life" is a pop/art-rock hybrid. With "God Save The Queen" wrapping things up as a fun arrangement utilizing overdubs of the classic Queen guitar sound. It is worth noting that back in the 70's, almost nobody else had a guitar tone like Brian May's. It was a "signature sound", which made a song like this "stand out" all the more.

Why the 2 star rating? Although this is a high quality eclectic rock album, it only offers 2 songs that I would consider of high interest to Prog Fans (solely from a Prog Rock perspective). One of those two songs has been so overplayed by commercial radio that it has lost much of its effect for most listeners.

That said, check out "The Prophet's Song" if you get a chance! Even if you aren't a Queen fan, you just might like this song!

Send comments to progpositivity (BETA) | Report this review (#282181) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 16, 2010

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
4 stars This album needs my review just about as much as a fish needs a bottle of Coke, but I just thought it would be nice to have a look at this celebrated rock classic which I listened to at my mid-teenage years. First I must admit that Queen has never been even remotely among my favourite bands.

'Bohemian Rhapsody' is the most famous track, and it competes with Zeppelin's 'Stairway To Heaven' as THE best of all-time rock songs (at least in Finland I've seen such ranking). And yes, it deserves that status. It's like a mini opera with some amazing multi-layered vocal work in the middle part. But the whole album operates in a poignantly overblown, self-mocking level in which many various musical styles meet. Glam rock and hard rock with a good measure of progressivity had been Queen's own field already on their earliest albums. Here they throw in also some campy old-time British theatre music ('Lazing On a Sunday Afternoon' and 'Seaside Rendezvous'). Drummer Roger Taylor delivers his best known piece 'I'm In Love With My Car' with parodic frenzy, and '39' written and sung by Brian May is nicely country-flavoured. Freddie Mercury gets sentimental in the tender 'Love Of My Life' and naiively happy 'You're My Best Friend'. The proggiest moments besides Rhapsody are in the 8-minute 'Prophet's Song'.

A Night At The Opera (no closer connection to the Marx brothers film) has so unique and bold identity that even if I haven't listened to it in perhaps over twenty years, I have no difficulty to remember it (though I have seen a TV document some time ago to refresh those memories). The production is wonderful but a large part of the charm is in the way they didn't take themselves too seriously. This album is bursting out some kind of humour. It is campy so deliberately that it's totally disarming. Even if I'm still not longing to get it onto my shelves, I simply feel no right to give this classic less than four stars.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#291288) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars This was the last great Queen album. Sure, they continued to have success and popularity, but the price for that was to compromise their creativity, and water down their songs. But this album also marked the turning point in their careers. While they had a huge hit in the highly progressive Bohemian Rhapsody (you've probably heard it), they also crossed into adult contemporary radio with the saccharine hit You're My Best Friend, a maudlin piece saved by some nice bass playing by Roger Deacon. It's that AC sound that became their signature sound for the majority of the rest of their albums.

The album starts off heavily and darkly, with Death On Two Legs, a fierce rocker, which, unlike a later pop song of theirs, actually says "Do you feel like suicide? (I think you should)". Another good prog moment comes in The Prophet's Song, a heavily produced piece that features some great work with an early form of delay (probably created with tapes).

The rest of the album is a nice mixture of various styles of pop and rock, from the retro songs like Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon, Seaside Rendezvous and Good Company, which, amazingly, has Brian May simulating a dixieland band on his guitar, to hard rock (Sweet Lady and I'm In Love With My Car) to folk rock ('39). The only truly boring song is the maudlin Love Of My Life.

It's too bad Queen never could get back to their roots after this album.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#359746) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Review by thehallway
5 stars Bombastic, expensive, amazing. A Night At The Opera flows like a well-chosen programme of classical music, only characterised by guitar riffs, vaudeville ditties, home-made jazz, thicker than thick vocal harmonies, and billions of overdubs. I love the diversity here, and the complexity of song structure that adorns a lot of the band's earlier records.

Of course, the dense, crazy style of composing rock that sounds like opera reaches a peak with 'Bohemian Rhapsody', which I really need not describe. It's not my favourite on the album though. That would be the hard-edged, piano-led opener 'Death On Two Legs', with it's King Crimsoneque tri-tone cello opening, and totally "[%*!#] you" lyrics, uncharacteristic for the sweet Freddie Mercury. The little song that follows without a gap, 'Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon', is equally fun and enjoyable. The guitar solo is in a totally unrelated key; things like this just get overlooked with Queen when people focus on their showmanship and power chords. They are more musically accomplished than most prog bands.

The not so great tracks are basically 'I'm In Love With My Car', a bit of a throwaway thrasher from drummer Taylor, and 'Sweet Lady' from May, which is a good, Zeppelin-style rock song, but just not in the same compositional league as the rest of the album. A Night At The Opera is otherwise perfect, continuing with the slice of warm, electric piano pop, 'You're My Best Friend', Deacon's well- crafted single, and another 30s dixieland-style piece from Freddie, 'Seaside Rendevous', which is just lovely to listen to with all of those brass instruments (which are actually treated vocals). Mercury also lends his greatest ballad to the album, 'Love Of My Life', which has melodies to die for.

Meanwhile, Brian May spoils us with three of his best pieces, the stomping space-folk ballad '39', with beautiful chords and lyrics, the ukulele-led 'Good Company', with plenty of jazzy guitar effects, and great cadences, and forming the centrepiece of the album, the prog-rock effort 'Prophet's Song', which would be mediocre if not for that middle section, in which three a cappella Freddie's sing their harmonised hearts out. Stunning, and original, like the rest of the album.

'Bohemian Rhapsody' followed by a guitar-led rendition of 'God Save The Queen' is probably one of the greatest ways to end an album, which has already delivered more than necessary to be given 5 stars. Luckily, this evening's opera can be listened to again and again, which is what I have done, and will continue doing. This album is very special, with a warm feeling, faultless production, and enough creativity to challenge The Beatles. Worth all the hours they put in.

Send comments to thehallway (BETA) | Report this review (#536492) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Review by Warthur
3 stars A transitional album, A Night at the Opera finds Queen poised on the tipping point between campy art rock and full-blooded proto-prog metal. The album's sheer diversity of musical styles is both is strength and its weakness - it's almost certain that there'll be songs you love on here, but unless you have exceptionally broad (or uncritical) musical tastes it's also likely there'll be songs on here you can't stand.

For my part, I love Death on Two Legs and I'm In Love With My Car, find You're My Best Friend and Bohemian Rhapsody too catchy not to enjoy, think The Prophet's Song is OK but could do without the overlong a capella sections, but the rest of the album comes across to me as filler, nothing more and nothing less. A decent listen, but there's severe consistency issues creeping in.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#547003) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 09, 2011

Review by UMUR
4 stars "A Night at the Opera" is the 4th full-length studio album by UK rock act Queen. The album was released through EMI/Parlophone in Europe and Elektra/Hollywood in the US in November 1975. Having released "Queen II (1974)" "Sheer Heart Attack (1974)" within a year, "A Night at the Opera" was the 3rd album by the band within a two year period. Queen were undeniably on a creative high and especially with "Bohemian Rhapsody" they would also make an incredible commercial impact.

Listening to a track like "Bohemian Rhapsody" and the equally theatrical "The Prophet's Song", it´s obvious to me that the times were very different back in the seventies. Such intricate, flamboyant, progressive and clever compositions would never make it unto the radio had they been released today. A track like the more pop oriented "You´re My Best Friend" would though but that doesn´t make it any less interesting. In fact no matter what music style Queen touch on "A Night at the Opera", the outcome is quite brilliant. The band are such skilled performers and composers that they can pull off this eclectic blend of styles with ease and great conviction. As usual it´s the outstanding vocals/backing vocals/choirs that steal the show, but there are some really powerful and intricate instrumental performances on the album too. Paired with a warm and organic sound production we´re talking a high quality release. Favorites for me on the album are the above mentioned "The Prophet's Song", the opening track "Death on Two Legs (Dedicated to...)" and of course "Bohemian Rhapsody". The latter might be one of the most well written and intriguing rock songs I´ve ever heard. Even though it´s been played to death on the radio, it still moves me in the most incredible way every time I hear it.

"A Night at the Opera" is an interesting release as it features some of Queen´s most theatrical/progressive moments but also more than hints at the more easily accessible nature of their future material. It´s definitely an album for those who like their music with variation and can appreciate elements from many music styles. I guess I´m one of those and I think a 4 star (80%) rating is fully deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#764951) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 05, 2012

5 stars I'm in loooooove... with this album Queen's fourth release is one of their best. It shows that every member can write a great track, especially Freddie and Brian, who are both very accomplished songwriters (lyrics and music). I love the old style of Queen. Great vocal harmonies, one of the bes ... (read more)

Report this review (#716577) | Posted by geneyesontle | Sunday, April 08, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars 10/10 I'm with love with this album. Surely everyone has heard of the Queen. Since I had little contact with this band, and although it has never been a fan of them always had appreciation for his songs. Now, it was a surprise when I found them here on the site as a Prog Related artist! I ... (read more)

Report this review (#570827) | Posted by voliveira | Saturday, November 19, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Although not a truly progressive album, I find that it is perhaps one of the greatest albums ever. its ambient/mysterious start to the first track is the perfect start for any album. The majority of "Death on Two Legs" is however, quite heavy. The album then seamlessly moves into the next tra ... (read more)

Report this review (#547372) | Posted by progistoomainstream | Sunday, October 09, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Apart from "39", "The Prophet's Song", and "Bohemian Rhapsody" there's not much else here that is not music hall quirky tunes, pop, and balls-our overblown boring rock anthems. Of course, this is just one guys opinion...But of course, those 3 songs are MONSTERS! "39" is a beautiful and hauntin ... (read more)

Report this review (#449390) | Posted by mohaveman | Wednesday, May 18, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is the album where it all came together for Queen, the one they had been working towards, the one they would never surpass for all their subsequent success and world-wide fame. For a band whose music is based on a heavy style of rock, their songs are amazingly old-fashioned, perhaps becau ... (read more)

Report this review (#428414) | Posted by giselle | Wednesday, April 06, 2011 | Review Permanlink

2 stars 1. Death On 2 Legs - Flick of the Wrist part II. Somehow does not quite work as well as FOTW, but still a decent opener. 6/10. 2. Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon - If I want to listen to novelty and joke songs, I'll put on a John Shuttleworth CD. 2/10 3. I'm In Love With My Car - Cliche after ... (read more)

Report this review (#278069) | Posted by gingernut | Thursday, April 15, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars There's nothing really I can say about Queen, they are a monument of music. They have been heard by everyone, they have been liked by everyone, and if you haven't heard of them, then you must have been in a cave for the last 100 years. This album is quite monumental, it's not a masterpiece in m ... (read more)

Report this review (#278048) | Posted by arcane-beautiful | Thursday, April 15, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Queen was the first band I ever got interested in as a child, at age 8 I would come home from school, and listen to queen until I had to go to bed. Reviewing an album by your favorite band is always difficult because you're going to be very bias but in this instance regardless of bias this is one ... (read more)

Report this review (#230371) | Posted by DASistGrantTeeL | Friday, August 07, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The big cheese... Cheesy as hell. That is the main flaw of this album. I don't consider it a flaw, but some might hate it. It is certainly a precursor to Meat Loaf. First off, Queen sacrifice some of their pure hard rock roots in lieu of glamming everything up several notches. They add seve ... (read more)

Report this review (#213064) | Posted by Alitare | Thursday, April 30, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars It was with A Night At The Opera that Queen really found themselves. The Led Zeppelin undertones of their first two records had long gone and the sound established on Sheer Heart Attack was now fully under control. Yet its more than that, pieces like the infamous Progressive Rock Opera Bohemian ... (read more)

Report this review (#171622) | Posted by TheRocinanteKid | Monday, May 19, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars A rock masterpiece, a prog masterpiece, and musical masterpiece. For a band that never really took themselves seriously, they put out some seriously good music. This is the pinnacle of their career. Maybe the most diverse rock album ever recorded, A Night At The Opera takes you on a trip ... (read more)

Report this review (#171423) | Posted by SilverEclipse | Sunday, May 18, 2008 | Review Permanlink

1 stars i guess i really don't get it. I bought this album with extremely high hopes, but got nothing i enjoyed (but am always amused by Bohemian Rhapsody) My parents always said Queen was one of the greatest bands of all time, wrote incredible music, and had some of the best vocal performances. I ... (read more)

Report this review (#142317) | Posted by therevelator | Friday, October 05, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I don't mind if Queen is a prog band or not, anyway this is one of the best rock albums of all times Bohemian Rhapsody, Death on two legs, '39 and Prophet's song are perfects, and most of the others nearly The changes into songs are amazing and Brian May's guitar sounds good anytime, cause it ha ... (read more)

Report this review (#133478) | Posted by .vMv. | Friday, August 17, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars PROG OR NOT???? I think so when I hear Bohemian Rapsodhy and Prophet's Song, but the rest of the tracks are mainly pop/rock numbers, except Seaside Rendezvouz and Lazing On..., which are funny and a little old-fashioned, as 30's decade music. However, Queen is mostly a pop/rock, mainstream ... (read more)

Report this review (#114998) | Posted by sircosick | Tuesday, March 13, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is truly one of the greatest albums of all time. All of the songs on it are amazing. Freddie's vocals are especially interesting through this whole album, compared to the others. "The Prophet's Song" being the highlight of his vocal works on this album. Starting out on "Death on Two Legs..." ... (read more)

Report this review (#111150) | Posted by tehcrazydiamond | Friday, February 09, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Oh, Mamma Mia, Mamma Mia An album that shows once again Freddie Mercury's fascination for the Opera, his tendency to multi-vocal arrangements expressed in a very theatrical way and his awesome and incredible talent. This is really a CD to listen and follow since the first to the last track ... (read more)

Report this review (#110350) | Posted by MadcapLaughs84 | Thursday, February 01, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Great album by Queen. Contains their most famous song, Bohemian Rhapsody, which is for being so well known, a really good track! Bohemian Rhapsody however, is not the only good thing on this disc. The album as a whole is very good going from agressive songs (death on two leggs) to funny songs (se ... (read more)

Report this review (#106284) | Posted by Autoband | Saturday, January 06, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars No Synthesisers! INTRODUCTION I remember my brother coming home late one evening in December 1975. He had bought two albums, one all wrapped up in black plastic (this mysterious one I will review also in the near future) and one white album. Boy, was I excited! The white album was ... (read more)

Report this review (#97156) | Posted by Draconean | Sunday, November 05, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is the ultimate rock album, every home should have this. Queen were at their creative peak and their previous hit (killerQueen) made them enough independant to again go about it their own way. The result is a nearly if not completely brilliant piece of rock music with huge variety in styl ... (read more)

Report this review (#92024) | Posted by tuxon | Monday, September 25, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars It's debatable whether or not QUEEN is a prog band. Though I suppose any band that plays as diverse a range of musical styles as Queen while still sounding instantly identifiable deserve to be called progressive. Prog or not, A Night at the Opera has to be one of the all time great rock album ... (read more)

Report this review (#87813) | Posted by The Mentalist | Monday, August 21, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of QUEEN "A Night At The Opera"