VISIONARY

Buy ELOY Music
Studio Album, released in 2009

1. The Refuge (4:54)
2. The Secret (7:45)
3. Age of Insanity (7:56)
4. The Challenge (Time to Turn, Part 2) (6:44)
5. Summernight Symphony (4:22)
6. Mystery (The Secret, Part 2) (9:00)
7. Thoughts (1:22)

Search ELOY Visionary lyrics

Search ELOY Visionary tabs

- Frank Bornemann / lead and backing vocals, acoustic & electric guitars
- Klaus-Peter Matziol / bass
- Michael Gerlach / keyboards
- Bodo Schopf / drums, percussion
- Hannes Folberth / additional keyboards (2, 3, 4 & 6)

Guest musicians:
- Anke Renner / vocals (2, 4, 5 & 6)
- Tina Lux / vocals (2, 4 & 6)
- Volker Kuinke / renaissance flute (1 & 2)
- Christoph Littmann / keyboards, orchestra sounds (5)
- Stephan Emig / additional percussion (4 & 6)

"Visionary" will be released on November 20th 2009.

Thanks to poslednijat_colobar for the addition
and to proglucky for the last updates

ELOY MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ELOY Visionary Music

OceanOcean
EMI Import 2004
Reincarnation On Stage (Live)Reincarnation On Stage (Live)
Artist Station 2014
VisionaryVisionary
Laser's Edge 2010
Ocean 2: The AnswerOcean 2: The Answer
Drakkar 2007
Eloy - Metromania 1984 vinyl LP in excellent++ condition. US $32.26 Buy It Now 3h 52m
Eloy-Planets German prog cd RM US $11.99 Buy It Now 11h 41m
ELOY Codename Wildgeese - soundtrack LP 1984 Mint- US $19.90 [0 bids]
FAMILY family entertainment LP 69' PROG PSYCH REPRISE RARE pink floyd gong eloy US $10.00 [0 bids]
ELOY - Inside LP Janus 1976 Krautrock Prog Psych US $19.98 Buy It Now 17h 40m
Eloy - Floating on Harvest Records 14C 062 29521 Greek Pressing US $34.99 Buy It Now 18h 59m
Eloy - Inside on Harvest Records 14C 062 29479 Greek Pressing US $34.99 Buy It Now 19h 5m
ELOY - Ocean, Progressive Rock, EMI U.K. 1989 CD US $8.99 [0 bids]
Eloy : Power and Passion CD (2000) US $9.67 Buy It Now 19h 58m
Eloy : Floating CD (2008) US $8.59 Buy It Now 19h 59m
Eloy: Eloy [Digipak] (CD, Jan-2009, Philips) US $53.22 [0 bids]
Eloy: The Tides Return Forever (CD, Nov-2011, Premium) ** AUTOGRAPHED! ** US $35.48 [0 bids]
ELOY Silent Cries And Mighty Echoes orig 1979 German prog lp Harvest Krautrock US $18.99 [1 bids]
Eloy - Chronicles Vol.2 (Rare CD Album, 1994) Ex Cond. & 24 HOUR POST US $9.66 Buy It Now 1 day
ELOY - THE TIDES RETURN FOREVER - ASR094 US $21.24 Buy It Now 1 day
Eloy-Inside-Janus 3062-DJ COPY NICE US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ELOY MARTINEZ & Conjunto Norteno LP Despues De La Muerte SEALED US $21.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Nektar Magic is a Child U.S. LP Brooke Shields Camel Eloy Pendragon Recycled Tab US $9.50 [0 bids]
ELOY - Colours *LP on Harvest Germany* FREE SHIPMENT US $45.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ELOY - Floating *NM LP on Harvest Germany* FREE SHIPMENT US $45.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ELOY TIME TO TURN SUPER HARD TO FIND ON BLACK VINYL UK IMPORT/HAWKWIND/MASTODON US $75.99 [0 bids]
McOil ?- All Our Hopes SEALED 1993 German CD Krautrock Prog Rock Jane Eloy Can US $18.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Sinitta Aquarius (Hair) Extended / Ol Ol Sav Eloy / Dub 12 Inch Vinyl US $4.75 Buy It Now 1 day
RUSH -Power Windows,OOP 1986,Pink Floyd,Beatles,Queen,Eloy,Caravan,Yes,Genesis US $1.50 [0 bids]
ZEN ROCK AND ROLL End Of The Age NEW CD PROG (Pink Floyd Eloy Cast Camel Jeremy) US $11.99 [0 bids]
ELOY Inside orig 1974 U.S. lp Janus German prog Krautrock Can Pink Floyd ELP US $17.99 [0 bids]
Eloy - Ocean CD US $14.98 Buy It Now 2 days
ELOY - COLOURS [ELOY] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $7.84 Buy It Now 2 days
Jean-Claude Eloy, Michel Zbar, Swingle Novae, promo, French import, Mint-minus US $62.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Eloy Fritsch - Mythology [CD New] US $24.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Eloy - The Best Of, Volume One The Early Days 1972-1975 - SEALED U.S. cd - RARE! US $22.48 Buy It Now 2 days
Ocean II - Eloy New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $19.55 Buy It Now 2 days
Eloy - Live 24HR POST!! US $12.08 Buy It Now 2 days
SPV North America sampler PROMO CD SAXON eloy venom uli roth US $0.99 [0 bids]
Eloy / Time To Turn US $7.99 [0 bids]
(Blackhand) WARRIORS OF ELOY "Eloy Fiction" 1995 BELGIUM TECHNO dj vinyl US $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LP Eloy Colours SPACE KRAUTROCK PROG EX/EX 1980 german gatefold orig harvest US $40.00 Buy It Now 3 days
ELOY Power And The Passion / Chronicles I Vol.1 CD US $15.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ELOY Planets / Perfomance CD US $15.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ELOY Pefromance LP RARE PROG PSYCH UK IMPORT US $34.97 Buy It Now 3 days
ELOY- FLOATING record label 20 in.X 20 in. frameless PICTURE US $69.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Eloy - Ocean - 1977 on Harvest / Electrola Records Germany - 064-32 596 -VG+ US $13.99 [0 bids]
Eloy - Floating CD US $14.69 Buy It Now 4 days
ELOY Power & The Passion remastered CD + bonus trk SEALED / NEW US $12.89 Buy It Now 4 days
ELOY - FLOATING [REMASTER] - NEW CD US $6.22 Buy It Now 4 days
Styx ?Paradise Theatre LP Kansas Marillion ELOY Yes ELP King Crimson Camel US $3.00 [0 bids]
Eloy - Floating - CD 1974 US $16.11 [0 bids]
Eloy - Ocean 2 - The Answer - 1998 US $24.18 [0 bids]
ELOY - Power & the Passion - 1975 US $16.11 [0 bids]
ELOY 2 CD LOT DESTINATION and RA Triumvirat Grobschnitt King Crimson US $8.72 [3 bids]
Eloy: Floating CD NEAR MINT remastered w/ 3 extra live trax US $5.60 Buy It Now 4 days
ELOY Metromania 1984 Heavy Metal Worldwide UK Prog LP Vinyl Record Album US $49.99 Buy It Now 4 days
ELOY- Live 2X LP - KRAUTROCK - Harvest / EMI - German Prog US $20.00 [0 bids]
Chronicles, Vols. 1-2 by Eloy (CD, Jun-2002, Steamhammer) US $26.00 Buy It Now 4 days
ELOY: Planets LP (UK, pic disc, PVC sleeve) rare Rock & Pop US $55.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Eloy - The Best Vol 1 The Early Days 1972-1975 CD Harvest Kraut Rock US $14.99 Buy It Now 4 days
ELOY-FLOATING PROG PSYCH ON JANUS STEREO LOOKS AND PLAYS NEAR MINT US $9.95 [1 bids]
Eloy-Colours German prog cd RM US $11.99 Buy It Now 4 days
ELOY Performance MC CASSETTE US $10.99 Buy It Now 5 days
ELOY Ra MC CASSETTE US $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
ELOY Colours MC CASSETTE US $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Eloy - Colours CD US $14.98 Buy It Now 5 days
Eloy-Inside German prog cd 3 bonus US $11.99 Buy It Now 5 days
@ CD Echo Park - Pretty Lies PROG AOR ELOY RISING SUN 95 US $19.99 Buy It Now 5 days
ELOY LP Wings of Vision - Harvest ST-6482 1970s German Rock Group US $34.75 Buy It Now 5 days
Krokodil ?- Sweat And Swim Sealed 1993 Germany CD Krautrock Guru Guru Jane Eloy US $21.95 Buy It Now 5 days
ELOY inside CULT OG GERMAN PSYCH PROG HARVEST LP hear US $34.99 [0 bids]
ELOY K.P MATZIOL BASIST OF ELOY Pretty Lies by Echopark (import 1995, Spv) US $9.00 Buy It Now 5 days
ELOY - Metromania, Progressive Rock, EMI Electrola CD US $5.99 [0 bids]
Melba Montgomery Together Again b/w Eloy Crossing Promo on Capitol 45rpm Record US $7.99 Buy It Now 5 days
ELOY: Performance LP (UK, pic disc, PVC sleeve) Rock & Pop US $30.00 Buy It Now 5 days
ELOY Floating '74 GERMAN HARVEST LP ORIG PROG 1C 064-290 521 rare vinyl A1/B2 NM US $89.00 Buy It Now 5 days
ELOY Power & The Passion remastered CD + bonus trk SEALED / NEW US $12.58 Buy It Now 5 days
ORIG MONSTER GERMAN PROG LP ELOY DAWN DRUM BREAK GRIMEY SYNTH SAMPLES LISTEN!! US $19.99 [0 bids]
ELOY Ocean 2 The Answer (CD 1998) 8 Songs Prog Rock Album FREE SHIPPING US $9.85 Buy It Now 5 days
ELOY 1971 KRAUT PROG PSYCH DEBUT WITH 180 GRAM AUDIOPHILE DISC +TRASH CAN COVER US $29.99 Buy It Now 6 days
MELBA MONTGOMERY 'Eloy Crossing' unplayed 1970 NM Country Promo 45 US $4.99 Buy It Now 6 days
ELOY Ocean 2004 German remastered CD SEALED/NEW US $12.89 Buy It Now 6 days
ELOY metromenia ISRAEL ISRAELI LP prog US $50.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Exodus The Most Beautiful Day- Polish symph prog CD 1980 Eloy Yes Genesis US $7.50 Buy It Now 6 days
ELOY - Chronicles I CD (1993 SPV/ACI) Krautrock, Space Prog Rock - Time To Turn US $8.00 Buy It Now 6 days
ELOY Dawn original 1976 German prog lp Harvest Krautrock space rock electronic US $14.99 [0 bids]
GERMANY 1st pres ELOY Time To Turn LP 1982 HARVEST 1C064-46548 GATEFOLD w/Inner US $69.98 Buy It Now 7 days
Eloy - Eloy LP Brand New Sealed Black Vinyl Reissue (2013) Prog Rock DEBUT US $30.00 Buy It Now 7 days
ELOY-ELOY-'71 german heavy psychedelic progressive-NEW LP 180gr/die cut cover US $41.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Eloy ex german original A1/B1 LP Floating US $59.99 Buy It Now 7 days
ELOY PEREZ--LP--LATINO-AMERICANO--LP US $14.00 Buy It Now 7 days
ELOY Performance HEAVY METAL WORLDWIDE Space Rock UK press CLEAR VINYL NEAR MINT US $27.99 [0 bids]
ELOY Inside JANUS RECORDS 1974 original pressing PROGRESSIVE ART KRAUTR US $29.95 [0 bids]
ELOY OCEAN LP german prog krautrock kraut mythos can '77 orig gatefold emi rare! US $79.00 Buy It Now 7 days
ELOY - PLANETS [ELOY] - NEW CD US $8.80 Buy It Now 7 days
ELOY - ELOY, 2013 EU 180G vinyl LP, DIE-CUT COVER! 1000 COPIES! NEW - SEALED US $39.99 Buy It Now 8 days
ELOY Silent Cries And Mighty Echoes / Chronicles Ii Vol.4 CD US $15.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Boulez Conducts Schoenberg Eloy Pousseur Everest US $10.00 [0 bids]
Eloy-Codename Wildgeese OST-Milan 014-KRAUTROCK GERMANY US $19.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Eloy Martiz-Injusticia CD NEW US $14.58 Buy It Now 9 days
Eloy Rarities German Harvest CD NEW 91 Kraut Daybreak Silhouette Wings Of Vision US $59.00 Buy It Now 9 days
Eloy - Floating [CD New] US $9.23 Buy It Now 9 days
Heavy Metal Worldwide ELOY Metromania LP Vinyl PICTURE DISC UK 1984 rare OOP US $108.88 Buy It Now 9 days
Heavy Metal Worldwide ELOY Performance LP Vinyl PICTURE DISC UK rare OOP US $99.98 Buy It Now 9 days

More places to buy ELOY music online Buy ELOY & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ELOY DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ELOY Visionary ratings distribution

ELOY Visionary reviews

Review by Windhawk
3 stars So here it finally is - the first new studio effort by Eloy for more than a decade.

The best thing about this disc is that it is undeniable Eloy. The wandering bass lines are in place, the subtle acoustic guitar licks and subdued riffs many fans will recognize from the Planets/Time to Turn era are firmly in place as well, and although Bornemann's voice has deterioated somewhat over the years this feature was never among the strongest assets of this band in the first place either.

However, the finer details are missing. The searching guitar soloing, the floating space-tinged textures and to some extent the gentler symphonic elements have gone missing. The same can be said for the subtle dramatic synths that were so much a part of Eloy, especially in the Planets era of the band.

What's left are subdued and dampened guitar foundations with dampened symphonic backdrops at best. Unmistakenly Eloy in sound, but without the magic. Good nice efforts, bound to be played from time to time and satisfying as such, but overall among the poorer efforts in Eloys discography.

Still, it is new material, and I have a sneaking suspicion that Bornemann has a few more superior efforts in his system - if he starts spending more time recording stuff from now on.

Send comments to Windhawk (BETA) | Report this review (#254292) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 04, 2009

Review by poslednijat_colobar
3 stars Visionary shows the new beginning for the german space rock band - Eloy. In fact, it's only the second album by this band I've listened to after Power and the Passion, but I was interested to see what's going on there. I found something satisfying beyond Visionary. It contains a lot of typical space rock tunes, combined with some hard rock moments. Despite I didn't listen to quite big number of albums by Eloy, I'm confident of the fact, that this album can't be considered as one of their best or one of their worst albums. It's probably middle class Eloy album. There aren't any special moments here, but on the other hand there aren't annoying parts, too. The main negative aspects in Visionary in my opinion are several repetitions and the vocals made by Frank Bornemann, which I don't like. 2,7 stars

Send comments to poslednijat_colobar (BETA) | Report this review (#258218) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 28, 2009

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
3 stars I admit, I don't get why everyone feels that this album is so low. I'm in even worse situation than poslednijat_colobar, because this is my first Eloy album, but maybe this fact helps. I can't compare, I can just enjoy this album as it is. Maybe compare it with other music I know, but that's all. This reminds me a lot another long-time runner, Kayak. I heard their latest (also from 2009) and there are few similarities. Beautiful music, little bit less prog (not much), symphonicity and should be (I don't know myself) different than their previous music. But this can't and will not prevent me from appreciating this music. Because when I compare it to other new bands, if I give some weight to fact that I like it (even not enjoy to maximum), close one eye, I'll dare to give this:

4(-), because that's what this deserves. Not entirely pure prog, but nice "almost-prog" music. Their most innovative flame should be out (I still don't know for sure, don't forget that I never heard their other music), but sparks remain. And after all, it's maybe blasphemy, but I think I can enjoy this kind of music more than their early years.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#258909) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 02, 2010

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
3 stars In the glory days of the late 70s and early 80s, ELOY would surprise us fans from one release to the next. Sure their lyrics were hackneyed and Frank Bornemann's vocals were not everyone's bag, but these were secondary, buried beneath the real story: the evolution of a visionary and his ever changing cast. Few bands attained their level of consistency for as long as they did while avoiding stagnation, and they were also among the elite who kindled the progressive flame during those dark days. That they could shift so dramatically and so effortlessly at annual intervals is hard to fathom given that, in the 11 years between "Ocean 2" and "Visionary", ELOY as a band has down shifted into neutral.

Even by the standards of the pseudo-philosophical story lines, the lyrics here are weak, playing on incessant rhyming of words that end in "ation" or "ery". I wasn't surprised by anything until a pixie was mentioned in the final track. Never has there been an Eloy album as vocal dominated as this, which I assure you is not a plus, since the band's prime strength has been its instrumental fireworks, mostly absent here. I have always counted myself as a fan of Frank's voice because he can sound angry and shift to caressing, but here he mostly sounds robotic, clearly unable to squeak out of an increasingly narrow range. The backing of Anke Renner and Tina Lux on most tracks was a smart move, but not what fans clamor for.

After 11 years, we get a mere 42 minutes running time, with one of the tracks being a modest alteration on the classic "Time to Turn". Others sound very similar to some of the work on "Ocean 2", the best of these being "Edge of Insanity", as much because it rocks out of the stupor too common elsewhere, but also due to spirited synth work by Michael Gerlach. "Summernight Symphony" is a reasonable attempt to repeat the "Childhood Memories" motif from "Tides Return..", while the opener is notable for pleasant acoustic guitar and Renaissance flute otherwise dressed up in a typical latter day ELOY outfit. Both parts of "The Secret" are simply too dirge like to appeal to most long time fans, particularly Part 2, which drones on ad nauseum, even the moderately appealing bass line being almost a verbatim steal from "The Challenge".

If you are looking for top notch German space rock, you may want to try Leipzig's DICE who appear to have usurped the crown from ELOY. I feel like the traffic officer who listened to my pathetic excuse for running a stop sign a few years ago, ridiculed me mercilessly, and then inexplicably pardoned my ticket. It's sad to see such a waste of talent and exploitation of fans, but what's disappointing ELOY is still good music that knows how to generate a spacey ambiance, aural visionaries that they are. 2.5 stars undeservedly rounded up.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#262811) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars Eloy´s comeback after more than a decade has brought me a lot of mixed feelings when I first heard it and ot still does after several spinnings. Visionary sounds like a sum of everything Eloy has done in their career (but more specificly around the Planets/Time To Turn period). Which means that nothing new came with this CD. It is mostly a reharsh of their former self. So I guess I should be glad with that since I was never really charmed by their more eletronic work in albums like Ra and Destination.

The bad side of Visionary is that of the new songs: too much vocals (not one of their best aspects in any record) and not really convincing themes and arrangements. The playing is as fine as ever (great bass lines by Klaus-Peter Matziol, good guitar parts, very good vintage sounding keyboards). The main problem seems to be a lacking of boldiness like they did on Ocean 2 and The Tides Return Forever, where they again plowed on familiar ground but still delivered strong and relevant material. On Visionary the tunes are ok, but you have the strong impression you heard it all before and done in a better way: The Challenge for instance, is almost Time To Turn with another set of lyrics.

Conclusion: Visionary is a pleasant album, if you´re not a too demanding fan. Rating: somewhere 2,5 and 3 stars. Good, but not essential in any way.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#264087) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars Time To Turn, part 2

11 years after the previous Ocean 2, Eloy returned once more with this album. While Ocean 2 obviously was a celebration of the band's 1977 album Ocean, Visionary instead harks back to 1982's excellent Time To Turn album. Like on Time To Turn, which is my favourite Eloy album, we find here a set of symphonic and spacey songs with strong melodies. The presence of acoustic guitars and also renaissance flute on a couple of tracks brings a slight but very appealing folky touch to the proceedings. I'm reminded of recent Nektar and 90's Pink Floyd but it is still 100% Eloy.

The German accent of vocalist Frank Bornemann, which I often found troubling on the band's 70's albums, has never been as unobtrusive as it is here. He sounds more confident than ever singing in English. His voice is sometimes treated with tasteful effects in the appropriate places and often embellished by female backing vocals it creates a convincing vocal drive. Again like Time To Turn, the sound here is rather keyboard dominated, but there is a well-balanced mix of electric and acoustic guitars, bass, drums and percussion and discrete orchestral sounds. The sonic quality of the recording is very high. You can tell that a lot of work went into the production with its high attention to detail.

The Challenge is subtitled Time To Turn, part 2, but it is really a new version of the Time To Turn title track. Both versions are very good. Summernight Symphony is, as its title implies, the most symphonic track of the album. The Secret is divided into two parts with the second part called Mystery. Once again like the Time To Turn album, Visionary closes with an acoustic number. This time with a short one called Thoughts that rounds off the album well. Another positive aspect of Visionary is its moderate length. While many bands today exploit the CD format to its full potential, making albums with running times well over an hour. Eloy wisely avoids overdoing it and Visionary clocks in at just over 40 minutes.

Overall, this makes for a reasonably varied album and there is not one weak moment to speak of. Given the melodic and somewhat laid-back nature of the music and the fact that it is largely vocally driven, this album might not blow all Prog fans away. But the band sounds very confident here and they have produced a very likable and appealing album. It is indeed hard to complain about Visionary.

In my opinion, Visionary is a great come-back and Eloy's best achievement since Time To Turn

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#298482) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 11, 2010

Review by progaardvark
4 stars After reading several mixed reviews here on Prog Archives, some negative, some positive, some indifferent, I wasn't sure if I wanted to purchase this new album from Eloy, the first in about a decade. But having nearly everything in Eloy's discography, I knew it would only be a matter of time before I include it into my regular purchasing routines. I received it in the mail quite a while ago and it sat there, and sat there, and sat there... Other albums in my pile of "things I need to listen to" were taking higher priority and I have to admit that it was the negative reviews that were keeping me from it. But one day I had the "urge." And I popped it into my CD player with an open mind thinking some of this is likely to be good, some of it might cause me to hit the "next" button on my player...

Well, I was pleasantly surprised. No, this doesn't quite sound like Ocean 2 or The Tides Return Forever, nor does it sound like Floating or Dawn or Slient Cries and Mighty Echoes. And no, it really doesn't sound like Ra or Destination. So what exactly does it sound like? Well, it's really balanced for a change. It isn't keyboard-dominant, or guitar-dominant. It clearly sounds like a mix of all of Eloy's past into one, but with better songwriting sensibilities and not overdone regarding any of Eloy's leaning to one style over another. Further, not one of the songs I would consider bad. Their all pleasant and enjoyable listens. Bornemann's lyrics still focus on the future and learning from past mistakes, plus their well-written; possibly the best lyric writing of his career.

A very enjoyable album and a much-welcomed comeback. The only fault I would find with this album is it needs some more keyboard and guitar solos, something traditionally part of Eloy's history. Overall, a respectable four stars.

Send comments to progaardvark (BETA) | Report this review (#303879) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 14, 2010

Review by Andy Webb
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site and Forum Admin
3 stars Summernight Symphony

Eloy is the classic space rock band. Revered for their classic album "The Ocean" and other space rock gems, the band is well known in the progressive community. 11 years after their last studio album, the band reformed on their 40th anniversary to record their latest album, "Visionary." On this album contains seven exceptional tracks, each with classic Spacey spirit with a new hard rock aura. Although some of the music can seem uninterested and just along for the ride, the album ends with a satisfied feeling in my ears, and is no doubt a very good album.

The Refuge opens the album slowly at first with a cool atmosphere which quickly begins to accelerate into the hard rock river that the album turns out to be; with a constant flowing feel, the song never really lets up. Adorned with some really great riffs and instrumental breakdowns, the song has some really great qualities. However, many of the riffs seem to be a little overused, with little variation in the pretty standard song form.

The Secret has a spacier feel to it, with more atmospheric guitar themes and pulsing rhythmic drum lines. The vocal melodies are distorted in a psychedelic sort of way, giving a nice spacey taste to the music. Once the song gets into the chorus, it has a nice poppy feel, with pleasant melodies and nice use of the various instruments allegedly used in the recording (some seem a bit synthesized). Overall, the song continues the album's trend of interesting spacey rock, with a harder, albeit poppier, sound, with some interesting instrumentation and nice melodies. Although the music is not incredible, it certainly is good.

Age of Insanity has a heavier edge than the previous track, with a heavier use of synthesizers as well. At this point, we start to see the apparent re-use of ideas and similar themes and the melding of track distinguishability. However similar the tracks seem to be getting, this song certainly has some really great themes and riffs to go by. The instrumental section is great, with some great solos and fantastic spacey atmospheres backing them. Although the themes start to get a bit overused throughout the track, it is still one of my favorite songs on the album and a great track overall.

The Challenge is another rocking spacey track, with some cool riffing and atmospheric synth work. The bass line is the main attraction, with a nice rhythm behind it and a nice melodic forefront. Overall the song seems to repeat much of the same formula as the other songs, with a similar feel and atmosphere constructing the song. In the end it's not a bad track, but more another variation of the good songs that precede it. Summernight Symphony is by far the mellowest track on the album, with the strongest return to Eloy's spacey beginnings and psychedelic feel. The song is built on sublime melodies with a cool summer feel, raised up upon breezes of musical prosperity; the song is like a cool wind upon the back of trepidation, allowing the night sky to engulf the thoughts of the gazer and forget the woes he may have against the world. In the end, the track is another of my favorites, giving the album a fantastic feel for Eloy's true melodic quality.

Mystery, a continuation of some of the themes, both musically and lyrically, of The Secret, is the longest track on the album, both in physical length and the amount of material the band managed to shove into its nine minutes. Taking quite a long time to build up to anything, it serves more as filler than anything else, in my opinion. It contains slow and steady somewhat spacey riffing and atmospheres, sustained for nine minutes with little break. Melodically it lacks, with little variation in Bornemann's tone. Overall, this track is certainly not my favorite, with little to its name but its length.

Thoughts is the short ender, adorned with some mellow guitar chords and nice melodies. It ends the album on a nice mellow note, with some pleasant harmonies to its name.

ALBUM OVERALL: Visionary is an adequate return for Eloy. The seven songs that make up Visionary are all good in their own right, with admirable melodic qualities and a new hard rock sound that isn't found on much of Eloy's previous work, or at least to the extent of my knowledge. However, each of the seven songs also follow an almost identical formula, with similar feels and atmospheres, making for much of the album to sound alike, which can get a bit boring. In the end, Visionary is a good effort for the newly reformed band, with some really great passages and some equally low passages. The album really flattens out to an overall good album. 3+ stars.

Send comments to Andy Webb (BETA) | Report this review (#435059) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 17, 2011

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Visionary is the latest to date Eloy album. Released in 2009 to me is likeable album all the way, but is to direct in aproach only here and there they remind me that they were space prog once. It's a melodic album with good pieces, nothing is fantastic here, a mature work that show Eloy is still in bussines after almost 4 decades on the baricades. Some hard rock moments here and there but combined with progressive complexity, shows that Eloy evaluate the music in a diffrent way, the result is ok but far from being excellent. A welcome come back afre almost a decade silece, Visionary besides a great cover art has some good moments overall with Eloy touch on every pieces but more on melodic side with out that bursting moments of previous albums. Keeping in mind that all musicins are almost in 60 of edge, this release is plent surprise. Overall good, nothing great nothing bad, 3 stars desearves for sure. Best track to me is The Challenge, is a spacey piece with memeorable musicianship, the rest are also good.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#518018) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 09, 2011

Review by Gatot
3 stars Visionary remarked the band's return into business after eleven years vacuum. The music still represents their original style with spacey keyboard drenched style backed with solid basslines and drumming. This album does not stand out as an excellent one even if you are a die hard fan of this Germany band. But it's good that Eloy still exist until now. The only track that I consider as excellent one is the third track 'Age of Insanity' as it has great melody, excellent harmonies and vibes reminiscing the original sound of Eloy with great flow, stunning keyboard solo. I think most of Eloy die hard fans would like this track very much. While the first two opening tracks are too loose in terms of composition and melody and they tend to be boring.

The Time to Turn Part 2 is basically a good one and it's still in line with Eloy musical style especially in its groovy psychedelic style. However this track is quite boring even as it starts - it's too simple as a composition. But I love the keyboard work. As the title implies this one is similar with Time To Turn, in fact the chorus line where the female vocal enters, is exactly the same. It's like weak in terms of originality as it lends some of the melody from vintage track. Mystery (The Secret, Part 2) is actually a good track as well - but again ...it's boring.

Overall ...it's still a good album by Eloy especially if you are a die hard fan of the band.

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#597287) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars A decade later Eloy return with "Visionary" to celebrate their 40th Anniversary, and of course there was much anticipation with this return of one of the most beloved prog acts hailing from the 70s and continuing indefinitely it seems. The real question is whether this album will live up to the reputation of Eloy or will it flop dreadfully. I am delighted to report that this album is a real grower and features some incredible compositions, not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination but this is one of the better releases of the recent Eloy albums. It is the consistent quality and effort put into every track that is most rewarding and at least 3 of these tracks deserve a listen by any progheads out there.

It begins with some subdued material in the form of a straight forward uptempo rocker 'The Refuge', with an AOR feel similar to the material on "The Tides Return Forever". The riffs are nothing special though there is some exceptional lead breaks from Bornemann. Hearing his distinct vocals is like returning to an old friend; Eloy are impoverished without this uniqueness. The renaissance flute here by Volker Kuinke works well to accompany the layers of synths.

'The Secret' is immediately back to the spacey quality of Eloy. It is a slow meandering song with far too many vocals and not enough symphonic key boards. I like the way the vocals though at first are processed to sound like vintage psychedelic prog. The feel is more poppier in the chorus and the uplifting melody is repeated ad infinitum and, as a result, becomes quite tiresome after an initial listen.

'Age of Insanity' is where the brilliance begins for me; a stunning song that I could hear over and over. This one has everything from the heavy guitar riffs to Michael Gerlach's beautiful synth lines. There is a powerful roaming bassline from Klaus-Peter Matziol that mesmirises. Bornemann even returns to his infamous narrations on this one, similar to "Ocean". The instrumental section is dynamic with Gerlach sizzling on keyboards creating stellar spacey soundscapes.

'The Challenge (Time to Turn part 2)' is the next highlight; space rock with an extraordinary rhythmic bassline driving it headlong. The loud synths are dramatic and pleasurable to the ear. There is a strong melody and it feels quite majestic, especially the way it builds in the chorus. It sounds purposely like the material on "Time to Turn" and this is a good thing. I love the way Anke Renner and Tina Lux's vocals balance out Bornemann's delivery. At 4:30 there is a welcome lead break, simple but organic with the bassline and sustained synths. The drumming on this by Bodo Schopf is also a step up from recent Eloy albums. Overall this is a spirited comeback thus far.

'Summernight Symphony' is the most symphonic feeling more like vintage Eloy of the 70s. The music is very measured like a cool summer breeze. There is a strong orchestration on keyboards and Bornemann's vocals are pleasant, with sweet-natured lyrics; "We share a dream enchanted by an overwhelming atmosphere, just you and I beneath the sky, side by side we're soaring high." The pretty melody works as a break from the rockier tracks previous.

'Mystery: The Secret part 2' is a continuum of part one but far better with more keyboard soloing to indulge in. The longest track on the album, Eloy attempt to throw in all of their patented ideas from previous albums but it doesn't come off as a highlight as sometimes less is more. However, it is still a decent composition, that could have been trimmed particularly the opening section that takes an eternity to get to its destination. The guitar riffs are nicely accomplished but Bornemann could have launched into a soaring lead break but restrains himself and yet this is a drawcard of his 70s musicianship, such as 'Castle in the Air' and 'Madhouse' that feature his guitar work at its finest.

'Thoughts' is a short acoustically driven conclusion but after a few slower songs it would have been beneficial to include an uptempo track to wake us up.

Overall, "Visionary" has a lot of merit to recommend it, and although it does not measure up to the adventurous classic 70s material it is still a great album. The band tend to steer clear of lengthy inventive soloing and opt instead for arena anthemic choruses and a plethora of vocals, and this is not necessarily a good thing. However, driven by melody and spacey atmospheres, it should appeal to Eloy fans and those who enjoy the mellow side of prog.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#763209) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 03, 2012

5 stars This album was a suprise for me when it came out 11 years after Ocean-2. Despite its title and artwork, Ocean-2 had nothing to share with the original album. So I was first a little bit dubitative before listenning to the album. The result is more than pleasant. Their best effort since... Ti ... (read more)

Report this review (#541293) | Posted by ProgLine | Tuesday, October 04, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Eloy is a German band that formed during the late '60s/early '70s post-psychedelic period. Unlike most of their German contemporaries (Amon Duul, Birth Control, Agitation Free, etc.) that formed the krautrock branch of progressive rock, Eloy followed a more anglophiled path. Their early spac ... (read more)

Report this review (#377493) | Posted by usa prog music | Monday, January 10, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars A 3 and an half star album. I'm a bid disapointed by the last Eloy production (maybe because I expected too much from it since they didn't release a studio album with new material for years). This album is rather good. More folk-oriented than the previous Eloy albums (especially when com ... (read more)

Report this review (#297450) | Posted by Subterranean | Saturday, September 04, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I did really look forward to this release last year, hoping to get another Ocean or Silent Cries...... but alas. The songs are of course good enough but fairly standard and not close to ELOYS finest. It's more like another Colours or Performance. Best would be "Mystery" but again, it doesn ... (read more)

Report this review (#292140) | Posted by Frasse | Tuesday, July 27, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars With such an eventful occurrence (40th Anniversary recording), and after an 11 year hiatus, one might expect either a totally different ELOY release or their definitive masterpiece. Neither surfaces in Visionary. That said, there is enough good going on here. Visionary certainly has a mainstream ... (read more)

Report this review (#289026) | Posted by HotToad5 | Saturday, July 03, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This record cannot deceive listeners who have followed and enjoyed the music of this group since the beginning. Melodies are simple and beautiful, as always, ethereal most of the time, sometimes more poweful (Age of insanity). The keys and the guitar still makes a harmonic duo. Bornemann's voi ... (read more)

Report this review (#282995) | Posted by Kjarks | Saturday, May 22, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is a fairly good album, and I am very happy to see something new from Eloy in recent times. I was very excited to get this album and while I admit it was not as absolutely amazing as I was expecting it to be (a step down from Ocean 2 - The Answer, which in my opinion is a perfect example of ... (read more)

Report this review (#279756) | Posted by HammerOfPink | Wednesday, April 28, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars In celebration of Eloy's 40th anniversary, mastermind Frank Bornemann invites previous band members to participate on this celebratory recording, the first under the Eloy banner in just over 10 years, recalling the classic spaced out Eloy style of the 70s albeit in less vainglorious fashion. Without ... (read more)

Report this review (#259899) | Posted by Vibrationbaby | Friday, January 08, 2010 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Eloy needed eleven years to issue Visionary and yet all we have got is a faint and uninspiring copy of their previous efforts, totally lacking imaginative strength and beauty, characteristic for their earlier works. Musically, this is a step backward (in comparison to Ocean 2) - even the productio ... (read more)

Report this review (#254114) | Posted by Bilkaim | Thursday, December 03, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Well the best news here is that Eloy is alive. And i am a huge fan of Eloy . I,ve bought all of them albums. It is quite difficult to write a review of this album(all the background and some disappointing in their last era) This album is a kind of mix between their best era (From Colours to Tim ... (read more)

Report this review (#252858) | Posted by robbob | Thursday, November 26, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars It's been a very long time since German Symphonic Rock-Legend Eloy released their last album. In 1998 Ocean 2 - The Answer reminded a lot of its origins in the 70ies. Although nearly a decade has passed it seems Eloy are still the same! It's the same group as heard on Ocean 2 - for the excepti ... (read more)

Report this review (#252317) | Posted by jerrycornelius | Monday, November 23, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ELOY "Visionary"