HERETICS

Studio Album, released in 2014

1. Heretics (4:50)
2. Elizabeth (8:22)
3. Utopic (6:38)
4. To Love Is To Leave (8:01)
5. The Name You Fear (6:09)
6. It Must Taste Good (8:31)
7. I Know What You Are (6:42)
8. Fist To Face (4:15)
9. Lost Our Faith (2:05)
10. How Long We Wait (9:28)
11. Ashes Fall (8:07)

Search DREAM THE ELECTRIC SLEEP Heretics lyrics

Search DREAM THE ELECTRIC SLEEP Heretics tabs

- Matt Page / guitars, vocals
- Joey Waters / drums
- Chris Tackett / bass

Released 31st january 2014

Thanks to kev rowland for the addition

DREAM THE ELECTRIC SLEEP MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DREAM THE ELECTRIC SLEEP Heretics Music

More places to buy DREAM THE ELECTRIC SLEEP music online Buy DREAM THE ELECTRIC SLEEP & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DREAM THE ELECTRIC SLEEP DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DREAM THE ELECTRIC SLEEP Heretics ratings distribution

DREAM THE ELECTRIC SLEEP Heretics reviews

Review by Second Life Syndrome
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock and Crossover Teams
5 stars As the pounding rhythm of Dream the Electric Sleep's new album 'Heretics' blasts its way into your ear canals, you can tell that you are in for some inspired, incredible music. Dream the Electric Sleep hails from Lexington, KY; not exactly a hot spot of progressive activity. Yet, the band has crafted what will surely be seen as one of the best of 2014, for sure. Aside from having a great name based on Philip Dick's novel, Dream the Electric Sleep has loads of massive sounds to share with us, and they also seem to have a connection with their fans that is pretty rare nowadays.

The band is made up of Matt Page on vocals/keys/guitar, Joey Waters on drums/vocals, Andrew Hibpshman on guitar, and Chris Tackett on bass. The guys display a mix of sounds and influences that are quite eclectic. I once described their music as a mix of indie rock and Anathema's style of climactic melodies with a vocalist that reminds me of Kim Benzie of Dead Letter Circus. I think I'd stand by my description for the most part, but I would also add U2 in there somewhere. With delicate acoustic guitars and roaring electric licks, pounding and well-mixed drums, awesome bass, and ultra-melodic and atmospheric keys; the band has a fresh sound that feels seasoned, mature, and inspired on multiple levels. The first thing that caught me about this album was the style of melody. As I said, they are rather climactic, but the beauty and variety are even more noteworthy. There is something so pure and so emotional and so real about the way this band composes music, and you cannot help but feel they are right there in front of you. The melodies are very distinct for each song, and many of them feel very much like an old favorite for some reason. They are as original as they come, but the melodic style of Dream the Electric Sleep is such that the music just feels right.

'Heretics' is more than music, though. It is a concept album based generally upon the women's suffrage movement, and the torn hearts that its proponents held within themselves. One thing that really impresses me about Dream the Electric Sleep is there clarity of mind. Fans want to know what lyrics mean, plain and simple. The band provides this in their Guide to Heretics, a loose breakdown of the album. As one that appreciates lyrics, this is seriously impressive. The content, then, is rather emotional and moving, and the band certainly wants it that way.

Again and again this album floored me. I didn't really connect on the first listen, but I was really gripped on the second time. 'Heretics' is a fantastic introduction, but it leads into my favorite song on the album, the delicate and pleasant 'Elizabeth'. Matt Page's vocals are truly sublime on this track, and throughout the album, even. Yet, the album never lets up, as it delivers the massively acoustic 'Utopic', the lovely 'To Love is to Leave', and the strangely groovy 'It Must Taste Good' (my second favorite). Excellent songs join each other end to end, and the album pushes on breathlessly. The album finishes with the climactic 'How Long We Wait' and the slightly heavier 'Ashes Fall', both amazing and rather theatrical in some ways. 'Heretics' never lets you go, and this is especially true because of the variety on the album. We get emotionally heavy songs, delicate nostalgic ballads, complex structures, and experimental collaborations. I just love it.

Dream the Electric Sleep's 'Heretics' is a must-hear for 2014. It's that simple. Any serious progressive fan should hear it, but the music is such that anyone could love this album. With overarching melodies, giant displays of finesse, varied compositions, and even occasional chaotic moments; 'Heretics' is truly something distinguished from the pack and exceptionally produced. Get this album, as it's FREE for download on their Bandcamp page. That's right, it's FREE, though you should really give them at least a little for this monster album. Give. Support. Share.

4.5 stars

Send comments to Second Life Syndrome (BETA) | Report this review (#1168591) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 01, 2014

4 stars Some of the best music I've heard all year. The music has an energy and urgency and excitement that is rarely felt in modern studio music. Great songwriting, great musicianship, great vocals, songs that pack a wallop yet are filled with many unexpected twists and turns. Heretics puts up some awesome ... (read more)

Report this review (#1288447) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Monday, October 06, 2014 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Oh what an interesting cover. Here we can study a female saint and many black and white photos of now dead people, only women as it seems. The name of the record is "Heretics" and the band is from the United States and is called Dream the Electric Sleep. It is the band's second studio album an ... (read more)

Report this review (#1255573) | Posted by DrömmarenAdrian | Friday, August 22, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Greetings ProgArchivers! This is my first review so let me start by saying I've been following this site for a long time and THANKS for all the great music reviews! I've discovered a lot of awesome music as a result. Anyway, HERETICS has inspired me to submit this review because I truly bel ... (read more)

Report this review (#1244949) | Posted by PsychoFunk | Monday, August 11, 2014 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Such an intriguing band name for us P.Dick fans, a wonderful cover, being a trio (who doesn't love power rock trios?), big fuss around the band's quality and free to download: Dedicating some hours to ''Heretics'' seemed a very easy decision. The big question was one: Is the fuss justifi ... (read more)

Report this review (#1193328) | Posted by Aldebaran_Well | Sunday, June 15, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Oh, how I've missed this. 2013 was hardly a stellar year in my ears. I honestly consider 2013 in music to be one of the biggest statistical anomalies, because given that I heard over 300 albums, there should be a high chance that there would be plenty of classic records. But alas, the only al ... (read more)

Report this review (#1178005) | Posted by Gallifrey | Thursday, May 22, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Absolutely my favorite album that I've heard this year and I can't imagine hearing something come out later this year that will dethrone it. Dream the Electric Sleep is a 3-person band, which is hard to believe after listening to the album due to the immense sound that they produce. To me, the m ... (read more)

Report this review (#1168600) | Posted by Philodendron | Thursday, May 01, 2014 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DREAM THE ELECTRIC SLEEP "Heretics"