FRAMTIDEN AR ETT SVAVANDE SKEPP, FORANKRAT I FORNTIDEN

Algarnas Tradgard

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Algarnas Tradgard Framtiden ar ett Svavande Skepp, Forankrat I Forntiden album cover

Buy ALGARNAS TRADGARD Music
Studio Album, released in 1972

1. Två Timmar Över Två Blå Berg Med En Gök På Vardera Sidan, Om Timmarna, Alltså (Two Hours over two blue mountains with a cockoo on each side of the hours..that is) (13:25)
2. Det Finns En Tid För Allt, Det Finns En Tid Då Även Tiden Möts (There is a time for everything, there is a time when even time will meet) (6:11)
3. Möjligheternas Barn (Children of Possibilities) (3:12)
4. Tristans Klagan (La Rotta) (1:40)
5. Viriditas (3:00)
6. Saturnus Ringar (Rings of Saturn) (7:15)
7. Framtiden Är Ett Svävande Skepp, Förankrat I Forntiden (The future is a hovering ship, anchored in the past) (5:07)

Bonus tracks:
8. 5/4 (10:26)
9. The Mirrors of Gabriel (8:26)

Search ALGARNAS TRADGARD Framtiden ar ett Svavande Skepp, Forankrat I Forntiden lyrics

Search ALGARNAS TRADGARD Framtiden ar ett Svavande Skepp, Forankrat I Forntiden tabs

- Andreas Brandt / violin, vocals, percussion, flute
- Mikael Johanson / bass, handdrum, zither, tablas, percussion
- Dennis Lindh / drums, tablas, percussion, zinks, jews harp
- Dan Soderqvist / guitars, percussion
- Jan Ternald / mellotron, piano, moog modualr, organ, electric piano
- Sebastion Oberg / cello, flute, sitar, tablas

1972, SRS 4611
1995, SRSCD 3611

ALGARNAS TRADGARD MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ALGARNAS TRADGARD Framtiden ar ett Svavande Skepp, Forankrat I Forntiden Music

Framtiden Ar Ett Svavande Skepp Forankrat IFramtiden Ar Ett Svavande Skepp Forankrat I
Silence Recordings 2006
DelayedDelayed
Silence Recordings 2006
Delayed (Japanese Papersleeve)Delayed (Japanese Papersleeve)
DIW Records (JAPAN)
FRAMTIDEN AR ETT SVAVANDE SKEPP, FORANKRAT I FORNTIDEN(SHM)(paper-sleeve)FRAMTIDEN AR ETT SVAVANDE SKEPP, FORANKRAT I FORNTIDEN(SHM)(paper-sleeve)
DIW Records (JAPAN)
framtiden ar ett svavande skepp forankrat i forntiden LPframtiden ar ett svavande skepp forankrat i forntiden LP
SILENCE
Vinyl$150.00 (used)

More places to buy ALGARNAS TRADGARD music online Buy ALGARNAS TRADGARD & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ALGARNAS TRADGARD DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ALGARNAS TRADGARD Framtiden ar ett Svavande Skepp, Forankrat I Forntiden ratings distribution

ALGARNAS TRADGARD Framtiden ar ett Svavande Skepp, Forankrat I Forntiden reviews

Review by Proghead
5 stars What a truly fascinating album this is! The album is actually entitled "Framtiden Ärr Et Svävande Skepp, Forinkrat i Forntiden", which, translates as "The Future is a Hovering Ship Anchored in the Past", which is also one of the song titles of the album. As you might guess, ÄLGARNAS TRADGARD is a Swedish band, but a truly unique band. Just imagine what would happen if the Krautrock scene happened in Sweden, rather than Germany. Just imagine bands like AMON DÜÜL II or ASH RA TEMPEL gone completely Nordic, then you get sort of an idea of what these guys are like. The band includes both modern (guitar, synthesizers, bass, drums/percussion, violin) and ethnic and archaic instruments (sitar, tabla, zinks, zither, rebec). It's truly a bizarre combination of Krautrock, prog, Indian, and Nordic folk music. Most of it is all instrumental, with only two cuts with vocals (in Swedish). If this isn't the epitome of a hippie band, then what is? After all, the guys of the band all look like long haired freaks, and the music sounds like it's LSD influenced.

Of interest is one of the band members is Jan Ternauld, he is also an artist, so he did the cover to this album as well. He also did covers for a couple of Bo HANSSON's albums, specifically "Magician's Hat" ( Ur Trollkarlens Hatt) and "Attic Thoughts" ( Mellanväsen). In fact, that's not the only Bo HANSSON connection you find with ÄLGARNAS TRADGARD, they also recorded for the same label, a small label called Silence Records (a label, in the early '70s that was very open to this kind of music - and is still around, and had reissued this on CD).

Regardless, if you fancy the idea of Krautrock with a Nordic bent, you gotta try this album out!

Send comments to Proghead (BETA) | Report this review (#29178) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars Give it 4,5 star!

Proghead (above) and Lise (in the bio page ) are both right to praise this album as it is a masterpiece in its own right. A true mix of acoustic and electric psychadelia and Folk Prog with excellent medieval dronal tones.

Side 1 is made of two lenghty tracks (13 min and 6 respectively)bound by some apocalyptic electronic noise to wake you from the grave, and they constitute the spine of the album . A short sung traditional folk song and a dronal jig start off side 2 , but the main attraction is Ring Of Saturn with another splendid improvisational instrumental groove being also the only really electric track on the album. The title track is a bit of an anti-climax being a tad too athmospheric after such a previous peak.

The two bonus tracks are absololutely essential with 5/4 another dronal groove and the fabulously tense Mirrors. If I must compare A T to other bands , I would say a cross of Gryphon , String Driven Thing , Third Ear Band , Comus . So you will understand that this is a superb example of Prog Folk.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#41670) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 05, 2005

Review by loserboy
3 stars Translated into English Älgarnas Trädgård (Garden of the Elks) were a Swedish psychedelic progressive rock band who released one fantastic album in 1971. Framtiden ar ett svavande skepp, forankrat i forntiden ('The future is a floating ship, anchored to antiquity') is a scrumptious album full of psychedelic twists and explorative tendencies which actually reminds me of German psych pioneers AMON DUULl II. This album is kind of a Melting pot of musical ideas blending folk and medieval influences with a true improvised feel throughout. They also have used a nice wide array of instruments including violins, cello, zither, sitar, tabla and flute along with more conventional bass, drums, guitars and keyboards. This unique album sounds to me more like krautrock meets Nordic folk music to me. A very relaxed album which never breaks out into anything too loud and makes for a great dinner conversation piece! A great album for the more adventuras ones.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#45854) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 06, 2005

4 stars This album is a bit of a monster really as it blends Folk, Experimental, Psychedelic and Krautrock together. Ethnic instruments like tablas, sitar and zither are used to further set them apart from anything remotely traditional. This is unique, and it left me intrigued to say the least. Flute, violin, cello, mellotron, moog, bass, guitar, synths, percussion, piano,organ and jews harp round out the instrumentation. This is mostly instrumental with a guest female vocalist on one track and male vocals on another song, with some vocal melodies spinkled in.

"Two Hours Over Two Blue Mountains With A Cuckoo On Each Side, Of The Hours...That Is" opens with what sounds like church bells. I'm not sure what the next sound is but it's liquid sounding. Mellotron waves, synths and then drums come in as the song starts to build. This is spacey with some violin. This sounds great ! It changes 8 minutes in as drums stop but violin continues with a different melody. Vocal melodies join in. A dissonant or confusing final minute. Impressive beginning. "There Is A Time For Everything,There Is A Time When Even Time Will Meet" opens with flute and percussion as different background sounds can be heard including a dog barking. Or is that my dog ? It stops 1 1/2 minutes in as a squeeky door slowly opens, and then a ticking clock can be heard followed by mournful violin and then sitar. The strings of an other instrument are slowly plucked for a pastoral conclusion. "Children Of Possibilities" is more of a folk song with a guest female vocalist and cello. "La Rotta" features drums,violin

"Viriditas" has these distant, reserved male vocals with piano and other sounds. "Rings Of Saturn" is my favourite song on here. This is where the guitar takes the lead and runs with it. It builds in strength with drums to create an amazing sound. It's like the guitar sounds are bouncing all around us. Over 7 minutes of Krautrock inspired jamming. "The Future Is A Hovering Ship, Anchored In The Past" is actually the title of this album, but in Swedish of course. Ok these song titles are making my head hurt. This is a dark and chilling soundscape that moves along slowly. Think "Saucerful Of Secrets" and you get the drift. I like it. The next two songs are live bonus tracks from the same concert, and make this recording even better by their inclusion. "5/4" is spacey and dark with mellotron. Drums come in as it builds. A full sound after 3 minutes with percussion and guitar. Fantastic sound ! The song calms right down before rebuilding with heavy drums. "The Mirrors Of Gabriel" opens quietly, slowly building as synths come in. Percussion creates a beat. The percussion stops 5 minutes in as the soundscape becomes haunting and eerie. The sound builds with heavy drums.

I really think anyone who is into experimental music will love this album, as well as Krautrock and Psychedelic fans. A very fine addition to my collection.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#155463) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 14, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This Swedish band investigated several musical orientations: psychedelic, folk, even heavy prog at times like during the long opening number which is quite hard to describe. Quite dark and repetitive, the music never lifts off really. These "Two Hours..." are a difficult way to approach the universe of "Älgarnas Trädgård".

I prefer the folkish atmosphere of "There Is A Time?": nice fluting and some fine sitar conveys a deep melancholic feel. I discovered this work only lately (some three or four years ago), and I was expecting some more due to the high ratings I could read on PA. When I listen to "Children of Possibilities", "La Rotta" or "Viriditas", I can't feel any emotion at all: medieval stuff with little savour to my taste. The last one is particularly painful (mainly due to the "vocals").

The first truly great track is the totally disjointed and psychedelic "Rings Of Saturn". Sure that they didn't only smoke cigarettes while playing this gorgeous psyche hymn. Lots of Floyd influences: just listen to the drumming which is not far from STCOTHOTS ("Set The Control?") and of course the mighty ASOS for the loose (but great) approach. The highlight with no doubt nor discussion.

But still, this sounds a bit too "short" to make a masterpiece out of this album. I also quite like the closing and title song ("The Future?"). It sounds as a TD travel into the high spheres of the universe and is more in line with what I understand as psychedelic / space rock music. Still, don't expect any of the great and beautiful synth parts as the masters would have displayed.

I would say that fortunately enough, the latest CD edition offers two bonus tracks which prolong the "Framtiden?" adventure for almost twenty minutes (or half of the length of the original album).

The first one ("5/4") is some sort of extension of the closing track: a gentle psyche song which is adding thick Oriental layers to it. The song is rather hypnotic and works very well indeed. How did the band prefer to release the original album with several avoidable and short songs instead, is quite a mystery.

"The Mirrors Of Gabriel" is a very tranquil song which borrows to the early Crimson. Fine keyboards, some oppressive mood. I compare it with a enhanced version of "Moonchild". While it gets towards the end, the early Floydean feel prevails.

Thanks to the bonus material, I rate this album with three stars. No more actually. It sounds somewhat overrated here.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#248433) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 06, 2009

Review by Warthur
2 stars Although classified here in space rock, in approach this album is much like the Krautrock albums of the era - though given that German "cosmic rock" was so incredibly heavily influenced by early space rock (as pioneered by Floyd on A Saucerful of Secrets) the overlap between the two genres is heavy. Nonetheless, it's easy enough to hear the influence of the likes of Popol Vuh on this album... the trouble is, whilst these guys wheel out all the folk-world- Kraut-psych tools, they don't deliver them with nearly the same degree of charm, compositional proficiency, or sheer emotive power that the likes of Popol Vuh, Ash Ra Tempel, and others were attaining at the same time. To be honest, find this album to be extremely overrated; there's a natural tendency to overreact to obscure or overlooked albums that you've rediscovered, but in this case I'm not convinced there was much here worth rediscovering. Not incompetent, but not very good either. Two stars only.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#500623) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Review by Guldbamsen
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site and Forum Admin
5 stars Original like a midget in a diving suit playing basket ball.

There is a lot of benefits from being Sweden´s next door neighbor. Each year around summertime when people start their vacations, you´ll see copious amounts of Swedes visiting Denmark to take advantage of our cheap and tasty beer and maybe look at the local wildlife. I´ve met so many great characters this way, and whether you´re at Roskilde Festival or at the beach - there is always that guy asking you for snus.... Just kidding. The biggest attribute about living nextdoor is however, that it´s very easy to get a hold of some damn exciting music made in Sweden throughout the 60s and 70s. This is no exception, and to tell you guys that I´m excited about this very release, would be a small understatement.

I´ve always said, that some of the best music often eludes categorisations, and Främtiden ar ett svävande Skepp simply cannot be thrown into a box: You´re a reindeer!! Deal with it!!!! What we have here is an album with a sound, which bears resemblance to absolutely nothing else. It´s like trying to tell people how Van Der Graff Generator sounds like, if they haven´t heard them. "Erm - it´s like dramatic......right? Ehhh and there´s like you know a wild saxophone happening as well...."

The album starts out with something like church bells seeping into a stagnant hovering organ and some electronic drip drips mimicing that of a wet limestone cave. At the same time it sounds like slowly turning off a tap. Sleepy drums starts banging to the swaying and disturbing violins - playing some eerie folk music that creeps over you like a ghost with a knife in its teeth. Maybe this is how music sounded like in the old viking strongholds, when they were drunk out of their minds from heavy mead drinking -and tripping on the red fly agaric... At one point the band starts chanting together with a strange violin section - and you´re hit with some truly original, barking mad and yet very beautiful - as it withers away into crickets buzzing and churping and a wild blowing wind - for then to be swept away into an electronic cry that shifts and turns, bobs and writhes.

What this music sounds like is almost impossible to convey in words. It´s psychedelic, folky, Kraut, evil, sheep-heardingly comfy and then again quite the opposite. The RIO lovers around here should definitely check out this wonderful album, as it from time to time dabbles in some weird vocal sections that emanates a certain feel of unease and bewilderment. Although not credited, I´m pretty sure that it´s a woman singing the third song here, and along with the triangle in the back, the Swedish folk aura of the violins together with her haunting vocals - I suddenly hear some strong parallels to Italian band Opus Avantra.

Then again, when you hear a lot of these tracks frolicking in spacey synth land with psychedelic pounding drums, jew harp, cello, flute, sitar, tablas - with hand claps and people in the back tripping and singing, -one could very easily be lured into thinking that this album actually is Krautrock. Perhaps, but genres are so boring and they mean absolutely nothing compared to the actual music they contain. Saturnus Ringa sounds like a mixture of Gila´s first record blended up together with some Neu! motoriks and clingy clangy electronical wizardry. The violins suddenly starts appearing birdlike and cacophonous, and there´s a brilliant space kadet guitar playing like it´s on fire. This music just gives me chills!

Creeek crack - like the start of a horror movie the cabinet opens to the last track - and with some creepy organ and almost Faust like synths, the music staggers along like a triumphant old man strolling his last walk - thinking about back when women wore dresses and guys smoked cigarettes.

This album will not be for everybody that´s for sure, but once you penetrate the outer layering of this strange and jello like music - maybe you´ll hear the unsurpassed psychedelic masterpiece, just as I do.

Send comments to Guldbamsen (BETA) | Report this review (#512060) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Review by Neu!mann
4 stars It doesn't require much hindsight to understand why this obscure Swedish outfit never attracted anything more than a cult audience. Ignore the fact that they released only one album, with an impenetrable title (in whatever language you translate it), and that it likely wasn't heard too often outside Scandinavia. The music must have been a major hurdle all by itself, even in the more adventurous climate of the early 1970s. And today it remains stubbornly oblique, in an arcane sort of way.

The immediate reaction after my own belated exposure (forty years late, but who's counting?) was one of déjà vu. Here was yet another Saucerful of the same Floydian Secrets that had fostered a trail of stepchildren across the darker corners of Continental Europe in the early '70s.

But the Älgarnas gang took that familiar Space Rock recipe and added a few local spices, including a rich vein of ancient folk music; lots of neo-pagan psychedelia; some enigmatic jamming not far removed from classic Krautrock; and a vivid atmosphere of Nordic mystery, rolling eastward over the Baltic Sea toward the Ural Mountains and beyond. Maybe it's the heavy tolling bells, or the hand drums and zithers, but to me the music evokes something the great Russian icon painter Andrei Rublev might have been jiving to as he fled the Tartar hordes in the 15th century.

And yet the album looks forward as well, with the calm dispassion of a counterculture Janus. The live bonus tracks on the 1995 CD reissue exhibit an almost Post Rock intensity, years ahead of their time. Like most of the album proper the additional music is entirely instrumental, but it wouldn't be hard to imagine someone like Ian Curtis improvising manic- depressive lyrics on top. (Japanese imports add a further concert sample: the playful and archaic "Medeltidsinto På Gärdet", complete with novelty toy cow lowing.)

If the band had formed a few hundred kilometers south, in late '60s Germany, they might be a household name by now (at least in smarter neighborhoods populated by discriminating Krautrockers). But that same cultural isolation is a part of what makes their one album so unique. Älgarnas Trädgård appeared to exist in its own private, wintry universe, and the general lack of traditional rock 'n' roll dynamics helped give the music a dreamy, drifting quality, casting an uncertain spell that hasn't weakened over the four-plus decades since it was first created.

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#890057) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
4 stars "Garden of the Elks", as the band's name is in English, was founded in Göteborg, Southern Sweden, in 1969, and was originally called Innerst Inne. That name would have fit even better for this unique group. During their five-year existence they released only one album (another was released posthumously in 2001, titled simply "Delayed") with a peculiar, philosopohical title about the future being a ship anchored in the past. Dag Erik Asbjörnsen's book describes the album nicely: it's like Pink Floyd's Ummagumma, except that this time Sisyphus is pushing a snow ball up the hill in a Scandinavian pinewood inhabited by trolls. In other words, the music is deeply psychedelic, progressive folk, or "world music" with experimental Krautrock features.

The selection of instruments brings together ethnic, exotic things and the evolution in synthesizers. Tolling bells start the long opening track ("Two hours over two blue mountains, with a cuckoo on each side... of the hours, that is") which changes from a meditative first half featuring pushy violins into an almost nightmarish soundscape with special effects. More effects are heard on the next track, as well as some fluent flute and colourful percussion, plus a delicate 2-minute sitar solo in the end. 'Möjligheternas Barn' (Children of possibilities) features guest vocals by folk artist Margareta Söderberg. 'Viriditas' offers yet another kind of sound painting with chiming piano and a male voice as if heard from a distance.

One of the strongest moments in the album is 'Saturnus ringar' (Rings of Saturn), an intensive trip starring electric guitar and drums, which could be a true Krautrock classic. For those enjoying dark, experimental psychedelia with ethnic elements this album might be a unique masterpiece, but a more average music listener hardly has much to relate to here. Actually my four stars have at least one extra star if my personal enjoyment of this album is considered... But I can't say there wasn't a lot of vision and emotion. Wonderful cover art is odd enough for the music!

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#1059254) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 13, 2013

2 stars I was excited to hear this album. When I was small and collected Swedish "progg" this was a record I never bought, it was too expensive and I never found it on a flea market eather. Well, I hadn't missed anything. No there was not much interesting with this record. I like experimenting but then t ... (read more)

Report this review (#955568) | Posted by DrömmarenAdrian | Tuesday, May 07, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars It was the front cover that drew me to this one. It's great isn't it? The music begins off a bit on the dreary side with lots of strings that sound slightly off key sounding like it's straight out of the 14th Century. Things pick up dramatically after 10 minutes where it starts to sound very ... (read more)

Report this review (#398202) | Posted by Dobermensch | Friday, February 11, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I don't give out 5 stars to albums that are not worthy of being considered perfection (or near perfection). This album is one that I can listen to over and over again, without getting tired of it. I recommend it to anyone who likes space rock and those who want to get into that trippy genre. Tw ... (read more)

Report this review (#184291) | Posted by YesFan72 | Wednesday, October 01, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is totaly outstanding album, although I don't think everyone would enjoy it. Psychedelic is too small word for this one. Besides it's psychedelic, rock arrangements it also contains of some folk music that sounds like some pogan ritual chants or something. It may look as this is pure chaos o ... (read more)

Report this review (#100403) | Posted by Crowley | Saturday, November 25, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I would like to thank progarchives for allowing me to find this strange but classic album, I would probably have never discovered it which is a pity because it is a hidden masterpiece. This obscure dark, medieval, psychadelic, disturbing folk-rock work to me acheives a perfect mix between aco ... (read more)

Report this review (#100300) | Posted by bod gorrel | Saturday, November 25, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars As one reviewer translated the title: "The Future is a Hovering Ship Anchored in the Past". It's a good translation for one of the best titles ever in the history of rock. It explains exactly what this music sounds like. The future (space inpired music/space rock) and the past (Medieval acoust ... (read more)

Report this review (#66630) | Posted by 1971 | Wednesday, January 25, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I have assigned this album a 5 because i think it is a masterpeice, this unknown band in my mind deserves to be rated one of my fravourite ever. I would love to hear any other albums similar to this if not to the same standard. However... this does not mean I would neccasarily reccomend this to ... (read more)

Report this review (#50887) | Posted by | Sunday, October 09, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ALGARNAS TRADGARD "Framtiden ar ett Svavande Skepp, Forankrat I Forntiden"