ARCHIVE 2 1976 - 1992

Good, but non-essential

Buy GENESIS Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 2000

CD ONE: 63:43
1. On The Shoreline (4:49)
2. Hearts On Fire (5:14)
3. You Might Recall (5:31)
4. Paperlate (3:21)
5. Evidence Of Autumn (4:58)
6. Do The Neurotic (7:08)
7. I'd Rather Be You (3:58)
8. Naminanu (3:54)
9. Inside And Out (6:43)
10. Feeding The Fire (5:51)
11. I Can't Dance 12" (7:02)
12. Submarine (5:13)
CD TWO: 72:42
1. Illegal Alien (5:31)
2. Dreaming While You Sleep (7:48)
3. It's Gonna Get Better (7:32)
4. Deep In The Motherlode (5:54)
5. Ripples (9:53)
6. The Brazilian (5:17)
7. Your Own Special Way (6:51)
8. Burning Rope (7:28)
9. Entangled (6:57)
10. Duke's Travels / Duke's End (9:31)
CD THREE: 69:37
1. Invisible Touch 12" (5:58)
2. Land Of Confusion 12" (6:59)
3. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight 12" (11:46)
4. No Reply At All (4:56)
5. Man On The Corner (4:04)
6. The Lady Lies (6:08)
7. Open Door (4:08)
8. The Day The Light Went Out (3:14)
9. Vancouver (3:03)
10. Pigeons (3:13)
11. It's Yourself (5:25)
12. Mama (work in progress) (10:43)

Search GENESIS Archive 2 1976 - 1992 lyrics

- Mike Rutherford / bass guitar, lead guitar, 12-string guitar, backing vocals
- Daryl Stuermer / bass guitar, lead guitar, backing vocals
- Chester Thompson / drums, percussion

and to Snow Dog for the last updates

GENESIS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GENESIS Archive 2 1976 - 1992 Music

Turn It on Again: The HitsTurn It on Again: The Hits
Atlantic 2007
R-KiveR-Kive
Box set
Rhino 2014
Lamb Lies Down on BroadwayLamb Lies Down on Broadway
EMI Europe Generic 2009
Trick of the Tail (CD/DVD)Trick of the Tail (CD/DVD)
Rhino 2007
Atlantic 1994
Wind & Wuthering [Bonus DVD]Wind & Wuthering [Bonus DVD]
Rhino 2007
MCCULLY WORKSHOP INC - GENESIS NEW CD US $27.33 Buy It Now 39m 6s
GENESIS LAND OF CONFUSION JAPAN 4TRACKS CD 20VD-1073 OBI 1986 US $14.99 Buy It Now 40m 35s
GENESIS Taht's All VIRGIN UK 12-inch NM US $3.52 [2 bids]
GENESIS Nursery Cryme CASSETTE Tape 1971 IMPORT US $8.00 [0 bids]
43m 21s
GENESIS Trespass 1970 CASSETTE Tape NEW SEALED - CANADA Press US $8.00 [0 bids]
43m 41s
GENESIS Trespass CASSETTE Tape 1970 CANADA Press PETER GABRIEL US $5.00 [0 bids]
43m 53s
MIKE + THE MECHANICS SELF-TITLED (1985) S/T JAPAN CD 32XD-439 GENESIS US $29.99 Buy It Now 47m 12s
genesis abacab album lp record US $0.99 [0 bids]
50m 16s
Genesis, We Can't Dance Audio CD US $4.18 Buy It Now 56m 50s
Sonny Stitt Genesis 2LP Gatefold Prestige P-24044 Mint- US $27.00 Buy It Now 57m 5s
GENESIS - MOVIE BOX 1981-2007 (5PC) / NEW DVD US $108.10 Buy It Now 57m 56s
GENESIS - DUKE [REMASTER] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $6.48 Buy It Now 1h 3m
PHIL COLLINS - Dance Into The Light NM A2-82949 1996 Atlantic/CRC Canada Genesis US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Genesis Live: The Way We Walk, Vol. 1 (The Shorts) by Genesis (U.K. Band)... US $2.29 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Genesis The Last Domino Invisible Touch 45 Atlantic w/ sleeve 1986 US $5.00 [0 bids]
Rob Thomas Michael Buble Genesis Bee Gees Barenaked Jewel Blunt Promo Canada CD US $6.99 [0 bids]
Genesis Invisible Touch Import Canada CD US $4.99 [0 bids]
Genesis Turn It On Again The Hits CD New in Plastic Free Shipping US $7.99 [0 bids]
Genesis by Busta Rhymes (CD, Nov-2001, BMG (distributor)) US $3.07 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Invisible Touch - Genesis (Cassette 1990) US $2.00 Buy It Now 1h 20m
GENESIS LIVE VINYL LP RECORD 1974 Very Nice US $8.99 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL Secret World Live CASSETTE Tape 1994 US Press 2 TAPES SET Genesis US $10.00 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL So CASSETTE Tape 1986 CANADA Columbia House GENESIS US $5.00 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL So CASSETTE Tape 1986 US Press GENESIS US $5.00 [0 bids]
1981 GENESIS - Abacab ( YELLOW ) Album LP Disc VINYL Record SD19313 Phil Collins US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 28m
PHIL COLLINS ... But Seriously CASSETTE Tape 1989 CANADA Genesis US $5.00 [0 bids]
PHIL COLLINS Face Value CASSETTE Tape 1981 CANADA Genesis US $5.00 [0 bids]
PHIL COLLINS Hello, I Must Be Going ! CASSETTE Tape 1982 CANADA Genesis US $5.00 [0 bids]
PHIL COLLINS No Jacket Required CASSETTE Tape 1985 CANADA Genesis US $5.00 [0 bids]
PHIL COLLINS Serious Hits ... Live ! CASSETTE Tape 1990 CANADA Genesis US $5.00 [0 bids]
Plays Genesis - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (CD, 1996) US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 31m
GTR s/t JAPAN MINI LP CD YES GENESIS Steve Hackett Howe SEALED US $34.99 Buy It Now 1h 37m
STEVE HACKETT please don't touch! +3 JAPAN MINI LP CD GENESIS SEALED US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 38m
SADE Promise CASSETTE Tape 1985 CANADA Press GENESIS Columbia House US $5.00 [0 bids]
Genesis Vinyl Record US $2.99 [0 bids]
PHIL COLLINS Hang In Long Enough LP 12" Philippines 33 rpm Genesis SEALED US $39.99 Buy It Now 2h
Genesis Antony Phillips The Geese & The Ghost Lp US $1.99 [0 bids]
Invisible Touch [LP] by GENESIS (Vinyl, ATLANTIC RECORDS (USA)) US $6.50 Buy It Now 2h 28m
BUSTA RHYMES "GENESIS" 2001 ~RARE~ *FACTORY SEALED* CASSETTE TAPE US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Lot of 2 - Genesis CD's "We Can't Dance" & "The Way We Walk Vol. 1: The Shorts" US $3.99 [0 bids]
PETER GABRIEL GAMES WITHOUT FRONTIERS GERMAN PRESS 45 PIC SLEEVE GENESIS US $22.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
THE VENTURES. YELLOW JACKET / GENESIS. 45. DOLTON 50 US $4.00 [0 bids]
GENESIS**1998: LIVE IN POLAND (LEAD VOCALS: RAY WILSON)**2 CD SET US $15.30 Buy It Now 2h 46m
Genesis 12" Vinyl LP VG "Renee, I Love You" Deadwax Message US $2.99 [0 bids]
ARK 2 Flaming Youth vinyl LP 1969 Phil Collins UNI gate Genesis prog psych T1/T1 US $42.00 Buy It Now 3h 5m
Genesis Duke Turn it on again so there's no misunderstanding US $2.95 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Man On The Corner - Company Sleeve Genesis UK 7" vinyl single record CB393 US $18.18 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Genesis Illegal Alien 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) UK AL1-12 VIRGIN 1983 US $15.52 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Genesis vinyl LP album record Live - Small Mad Hatter EX USA CAS1666 CHARISMA US $36.47 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Genesis No Reply At All USA 7" vinyl single record 3858 ATLANTIC 1981 US $13.52 Buy It Now 3h 12m
GENESIS Wind & Wuthering CD 1975 Atco CANADA Press PHIL COLLINS US $6.00 [0 bids]
Genesis vinyl LP album record Genesis UK GENLP1 CHARISMA 1983 US $17.20 Buy It Now 3h 16m
GENESIS NURSERY CRYME JAPAN 12" VINYL LP RECORD ! CHARISMA LABEL US $39.95 Buy It Now 3h 16m
Genesis Man On The Corner - P/S 7" vinyl single record UK CB393 CHARISMA 1982 US $212.58 Buy It Now 3h 23m
Genesis Throwing It All Away 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) UK GENS512 VIRGIN US $19.84 Buy It Now 3h 23m
Genesis The Lady Lies - Green UK 7" vinyl single record FLEXIPOP021 FLEXIPOP US $24.84 Buy It Now 3h 23m
Reflection Genesis - Rock Theatre Genesis vinyl LP album record German US $36.47 Buy It Now 3h 23m
Spot The Pigeon EP Genesis Australian 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) 6200032 US $48.10 Buy It Now 3h 23m
Genesis Invisible Touch UK 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) GENS1-12 VIRGIN 1986 US $18.18 Buy It Now 3h 23m
VINYL LP Genesis - Invisible Touch Atlantic MASTERDISK Robert Ludwig Direct Meta US $0.99 [2 bids]
Genesis Do The Neurotic UK 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) GENS2-12 CHARISMA US $19.84 Buy It Now 3h 40m
GENESIS TAPE AND THAN THERE WERE THREE US $4.25 Buy It Now 3h 51m
And Then There Were Three - Pink Madhatter Genesis vinyl LP album record UK US $23.18 Buy It Now 4h 4m
GENESIS Trespass 1974 ABC WHITE LABEL PROMO STEREO LP NM US $49.99 Buy It Now 4h 7m
Genesis Revisited: Live at the Royal Albert Hall Steve Hackett :Format: Audio CD US $20.47 Buy It Now 4h 8m
Genesis - Duke UK PDO PRESS CD CBRCD-101 US $1.00 [1 bids]
Genesis: Live LP VG+/VG++ USA Charisma CAS-1666 US $3.99 Buy It Now 4h 18m
Genesis Seconds Out 2-LP vinyl record (Double Album) UK GE2001 CHARISMA 1977 US $48.60 Buy It Now 4h 19m
Genesis Trespass - Small Mad Hatter + Insert UK vinyl LP album record CAS1020 US $29.82 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Genesis Nursery Cryme 2-disc CD/DVD set Japanese TOGP-15021 TOSHIBA EMI US $85.13 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Match of the day/pigeons/inside and out, Genesis, Vinyl US $4.55 Buy It Now 4h 24m
Genesis vinyl LP album record A Trick Of The Tail - 2nd Small Mad Hatter UK US $31.48 Buy It Now 4h 25m
Genesis Idolos 1 vinyl LP album record Spanish C7824 DECCA 1977 US $58.90 Buy It Now 4h 36m
Peter Gabriel Second Japan Promo White Label Vinyl LP OBI Genesis Phil Collins US $89.99 Buy It Now 4h 36m
GENESIS Follow You Follow Me LTD QUALITY CD FRAMED DISPLAY+EXPRESS GLOBAL SHIP US $82.99 Buy It Now 4h 39m
GENESIS Turn It On Again LTD QUALITY CD FRAMED DISPLAY+EXPRESS GLOBAL SHIPPING!! US $82.99 Buy It Now 4h 39m
GENESIS Duke CLASSIC CD Album GALLERY QUALITY FRAMED+EXPRESS GLOBAL SHIPPING + US $66.37 Buy It Now 4h 40m
Genesis Invisible Tour tour programme UK TOUR PROGRAM VIRGIN 1986 US $18.26 Buy It Now 4h 43m
Genesis The Mama Tour tour programme UK TOUR PROGRAMME 1983 US $17.36 Buy It Now 4h 43m
Genesis The Mama Tour + merchandise insert tour programme UK TOUR PROGRAMME US $25.50 Buy It Now 4h 43m
... And Then There Were Three ... Genesis Portugese vinyl LP album record US $56.41 Buy It Now 4h 50m
Mama Genesis 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) Canadian 7869830Q ATLANTIC 1983 US $24.49 Buy It Now 4h 52m
Genesis Duke Dutch vinyl LP album record 9124053 CHARISMA 1980 US $39.79 Buy It Now 4h 53m
GENESIS - "Jesus He Knows Me" (+1) 1992 CASSETTE SINGLE SEALED - 1st US - RARE!! US $19.88 Buy It Now 4h 58m
STEVE HACKETT (GENESIS) - "Highly Strung" LP 1982 1st UK IN SHRINK A1/B1 + INNER US $22.88 Buy It Now 5h
GENESIS 7 Vinyl Lot (4 LP s, 2 x 7", 1 x 12") + Invisible Tour Book - WIND Touch US $36.00 Buy It Now 5h 5m
Mary McKee & The Genesis The One To Follow vinyl LP album record UK PILGRIM425 US $39.79 Buy It Now 5h 8m
Mama Genesis UK 7" vinyl single record MAMA1 VIRGIN 1983 US $18.18 Buy It Now 5h 9m
Follow You Follow Me Genesis 7" vinyl single record UK CB309 CHARISMA 1978 US $16.51 Buy It Now 5h 12m
Anthony Phillips (Genesis) Private Parts & Pieces II Pavilion LP Canada US $61.00 [0 bids]
Tony Banks (Genesis) - Banks Statement - Atlantic Canada LP - promo stick - ss US $69.00 [0 bids]
Anthony Phillips (Genesis) Side Polygram French LP produced by Rupert Hine US $59.00 [0 bids]
12TAPES! PINK FLOYD, JETHRO TULL, GENESIS, QUEEN, CAMEL, DIRE STRAITS US $65.00 Buy It Now 5h 23m
GENESIS - CALLING ALL STATIONS - Tape US $3.00 Buy It Now 5h 23m
GENESIS - WE CAN'T DANCE - Tape US $3.00 Buy It Now 5h 23m
GENESIS - WIND & WUTHERING - Tape US $7.00 Buy It Now 5h 23m
GENESIS - TRESPASS - Tape US $5.00 Buy It Now 5h 23m
GENESIS - ABACAB - Tape US $3.00 Buy It Now 5h 23m

More places to buy GENESIS music online Buy GENESIS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GENESIS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GENESIS Archive 2 1976 - 1992 ratings distribution

GENESIS Archive 2 1976 - 1992 reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars I find this one of almost more interest than the first box-set, although I dislike the band from Duke on . There are some interesting tracks from the Trick and Wind era but nothing really super , and and throughout the three cds there are more "gifts"as rare and unreleased tracks are are prolific in this box - not that I enjoy outtakes from Invisible Touch - as compared to the first box. But i'm glad I could rent it , because I would have never bought it.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#10785) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Review by Marcelo
1 stars I guess that all people at this site loves progressive music. So, I guess (almost) everybody loves the true GENESIS. And, although I guess everybody knows what happened with that once incredible band, here is my humble advice in case of somebody decides to check out this horrible monster signed by... GENESIS???

This stuff from this strange band, a sort of a Phil Collins (once a great drummer) project, includes 34 songs, and just two listenable! Six per cent isn't a good treat. Except "Ripples" and "Entangled", the rest is simply the most disgusting pop. It's an expensive three-cd set, keep your money! In addition, avoid it even if would be for free.

Send comments to Marcelo (BETA) | Report this review (#10786) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 03, 2004

Review by Chris S
4 stars Great stuff all round. If you are an avid fan of Genesis then you will want this arrchive set as part of your collection. The track ' It's yourself' and it's similarity to the subsequent Los Endos song, this alone makes the archive set worthwhile along with Burning Rope live, Ripples and Evidence of Autumn

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#10791) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Review by soundsweird
3 stars I'll admit it; I waited and waited to buy this until I found a cheap copy at a record convention. I knew that there would be little in the way of new and undiscovered finds. But, I had to get it for the following reasons: 1. "It's Yourself"; this was the B-side to the British Import 7" single "Ripples", which I had ruined through repeated plays. This is the "missing" song from "Trick of the Tail", the one that allows "Los Endos" to finally make sense ("What's that section doing in there? It's not from any of the songs on the album!"). And it's just a great song anyway. 2. "You Might Recall"; one of the studio tracks from the original "Three Sides Live". This catchy, melodic and semi-progressive song got a lot of radio airplay at the time, and I wanted a clean-sounding version. 3. Various live versions of songs that didn't appear on other live albums. 4. Surprise! Some of the studio tracks I hadn't heard are pretty good....however, I'm glad I waited for that bargain price. Too bad the damn thing takes up so much room, but it does fit alongside Volume 1, which I don't mind making room for at all.

Send comments to soundsweird (BETA) | Report this review (#10795) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Review by Gatot
3 stars As prog lover actually I reluctant (very!) to purchase this box set. But, as Genesis fan since seventies, I feel like being obliged to spend my money for the band that I love. And so I did. It's good to put in my CD shelf as on box set altogether with other box sets of legendary bands like ELP, King Crimson, YES, and also Genesis Archive vol. 1. Is that the only value for this box set? Not really, actually. Of course I sometime spin the CD Two that contains a previously performed live track "Ripples". What a great live record. "Ripples" from "A Trick of The Tail" album is one of my favorites Genesis tracks because I like the segment that features keyboard and howling guitar alternate work in the middle of the track. And now, it's performed live. So, I enjoy it! The other tracks that I enjoy are: "Burning Rope", "Entangled" and "Duke's Travels / Duke's Ends". This box set also contains two tracks from "Spot The Pigeons" EP. Keep on proggin' ..!

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#44076) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Review by NJprogfan
3 stars I was given this boxset as a Christmas gift back in 2000, (I was actually hoping to get Vol.1!). Upon hearing it for the first time I was extremely disappointed. I really didn't need to hear anything that came after DUKE, even if it was live. Back then it would have gotten a 2-star rating. But 5 years later I can honestly give it a solid three stars, and its mainly for the live tracks from the early tours, (Trick of the Tail, And Then There Were Three & Duke tours). I enjoy hearing "Deep In The Motherlode", "Ripples", "Burning Rope", and "The Lady Lies". But I especially like the live version of "Duke's Travels", the last song to have that Banks wall of sound. Of the many b-sides and other tracks, "The Day The Light Went Out" is my favorite. Least would have to be all the 12" singles, especially "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight", godawful! The good outweigh the bad on this set, so for my money, the live tracks make up for the whole thing. Buy it if you can get it on the cheap go for it.

Send comments to NJprogfan (BETA) | Report this review (#50130) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Review by Zac M
2 stars This is a three disc set of post-Gabriel Genesis material. Some people would despise ever owning such a thing, but I find myself enjoying some if it. In fact, I got mine for fifteen dollars used. I thought I was getting a great deal, and after listening to the whole set, I noticed that there are obvious high points and low points. In my opinion, this is a true treat for the fans of post-Gabriel Genesis or those wanting to discover deepcuts and live tracks by one of prog's most prolific and controversial bands. Now, on to the review.

The first disc is a set of deep cuts, unreleased tracks, singles, etc... collected on to one cd. The "We Can't Dance" tracks aren't very good. I mean really, who wants to hear a 12" version of "We Can't Dance?" I'm sure someone does, but it really is not my cup of tea. "On the Shorline" is a pretty good song considering it came from the same sessions. I like it more than most of the tracks on the "We Can't Dance" album. I wish I could say the same thing for "Hearts on Fire," but in my opinion, it's pop garbage. The "Abacab" songs again are overall pretty poppy, although I find myself enjoying "Naminanu" and to some exten "Submarine." "Naminamu," although it is repetitive, is one of the stronger tracks. One track from the "Invisible Touch" sessions really stands out. "Do the Neurotic" is an incredible instrumental that reminds one of "The Brazilian," but is much longer and better. It is the best track on the album. The other two songs come from "Duke" and "Wind and Wuthering" sessions, but are just ok by me.

The second disc has many live tracks performed during the Collins era. I really enjoy the live version of "Dreaming While You Sleep"; to me, it is much better than the album version. "Deep in the Motherlode" is a track that is full of energy. You can tell that the band was really enjoying performing this song live, and the audience seems to enjoy it as well. The two instrumentals, "Duke's Travels" and "The Brazilian," are great as usual. Other noteables tracks are "Burning Rope," "Ripples," and "Entangled." Honestly, I could do without the rest, although "Illegal Alien" is an extremely catchy song.

The third disc is a hodge podge of 12" versions of hit songs, some more live tracks, more deep cuts (B-sides, singles, etc...), and Mama, presented as a work in progress. The twelve inch versions here are much more enjoyable than the "We Can't Dance" 12". Some of these "remixes" are even proggier than the original album cuts. I'm not to fond of the live releases on this disc. They seem somewhat random, and in my opinion, are not performed as well as those on the second disc. The B-sides and singles aren't even that good this time around. "It's Yourself" is the only real stand-out among them. The last track Mama (work in progress) is actually quite enjoyable. It and the 12"s are the best tracks on the third disc. The third disc is definitely the least representative and interesting.

This box set is good for Genesis completists or those who are fans of the Collins era. I find myself enjoying some of the tracks, but in the end, this set is for the completist, and that is why the set gets two stars. This is for the collectors and fans (of Collins Genesis that is ).

Send comments to Zac M (BETA) | Report this review (#53553) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars There are some 12 inchers here, but you won't listen to them as a rule! .

The second of the "Archive" box sets covers the post-Gabriel period which saw Genesis gradually move away from the fine progressive rock they had created while he was on board. Like it or not though, it also covers the most commercially successful period for the band, and thus this collection will therefore probably have a far wider appeal than volume one. The only album recorded after the period covered by this set was the 1997 Album "Calling all stations", and of course by that time Collins too had left.

It is unfortunate that the compilers chose not to present the tracks here chronologically, as it would have been significant to hear the way their sound mutated from "A trick of the tail" to "Abacab" and "Invisible touch" before the more reassuring finale with "We can't dance". What we end up with is an eclectic mix of previously unreleased recordings, non-album tracks, early studio versions, remixes, and live versions.

The rejects include those studio tracks included on the fourth side of some releases of "Three sides live", with the exception of "Me and Virgil", which was deemed by the band members even now to be unworthy of inclusion. Also included is the excellent "Inside and out" from the "Spot the pigeons" EP, but interestingly not "Match of the day" from that EP, which the band also considered sub-standard, even for this collection! "Inside and out" was recorded early in the life of the Gabriel-less Genesis, and would have fitted in well on either "Trick of the tail" or "Wind and wuthering". The first two tracks on this collection are from the "We can't dance" sessions. "On the shoreline" is a slightly faster "Mama", while "Hearts on fire" is throw away funky pop. We then jump about between 1980 and 1986. While "Evidence of autumn" is a "Duke" outtake, it would have been very much at home on "An then there were three". It is one of the few highlights of disc 1. Why on earth the reasonable instrumental "Submarine" was left off the dire "Abacab" album is a real mystery. At worst, it would have made for a reassuring instrumental break during one of the mediocre songs on that album.

The second disc consists entirely of live performances recorded between 1976 and 1992, the tracks having all originally appeared in studio format on the albums from that period. It is perhaps easy to forget that Genesis did not turn their backs on their prog roots the minute Gabriel left (in fact, it could be said that he was the first to turn). "A trick of the tail" and "Wind and Wuthering" had many fine prog tracks, and even after that, "And then there were three" and "Duke" had their moments. The live versions of "Ripples", "Duke's travels", "Burning rope", and "Entangled" which are included here, are fine reminders of that golden age. "Dreaming while you sleep" from "We can't dance" also shows how they came full circle (or at least 270 degrees!) on their final Collins era album. Steve Hackett is only present on one of the live tracks, "Ripples" (which also features Bill Bruford on drums), and only a couple of the studio tracks are from the time when he was still in the band.

There are several 12" single versions of more familiar tracks, such as "I can't dance", "Invisible touch" and "Tonight ,tonight, tonight". These add nothing to the pop driven originals, only serving to remind us of the depths this once great band sank to. It could be argued that the fact that these tracks lend themselves so readily to the 12" remix treatment is evidence enough of how far they strayed.

Apart from three of these 12" versions, disc 3 has a further three entirely disposable live tracks from 1980-81 and some older, much more interesting outtakes. "Pigeons" was the other track on the aforementioned "Match of the day" EP. "Open door" is a Mike Rutherford song very much in the vein of "Your own special way", while "The day the light went out" is a rather striking Banks composition from the "ATTW3" sessions. The excitement of finding an outtake from the "Trick of the tail" sessions rapidly evaporates as it becomes clear why "It's yourself" was omitted form the album. It is not entirely without value though, as part of the latter half went on to become the intro to "Los Endos".

The final track is a "Work in progress" version of "Mama". The lyrics had yet to be written, so Collins is improvising sounds where the vocals will eventually go. The track is interesting in that it gives an insight into how Genesis went about developing their music, but at nearly 11 minutes, it becomes tedious.

The two Genesis Archives sets are split neatly between the Gabriel and Collins led eras, thus this second volume takes us from the first post Gabriel album "A trick of the tail", up to Collin's swansong "We can't dance". Neither this, not volume one should be mistaken for anthologies as neither contains any studio material which has previously appeared on the band's official albums. They are therefore intended for fans/collectors, and not for those who are new to the music of this once seminal band.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#78123) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 14, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars I was quite reluctant to listen to this triple CD effort. While the previous boxset was gorgeous (at least for three CD's out of four), I was very doubtful about the need to release another of the genre to cover the period 1976- 1992. This one not being the best (to say the least). I must admit that after having listening to it carefully, it is a honest compilation.

Disc one contains outakes tracks from several album sessions and some B-side material.

Some numbers are very poor like "Paper Late", "I'd Rather" or "Naminanu". The extended version of "I Can't Dance" is also questionable: the album version was already dull, so an extended 7 minutes one is even more boring.

Some are average like "Do" (a rocking instrumental) or "On The Shoreline" (from the "We Can't Dance" sessions). Actually this song is above par with this album and I do not understand why it did not make it. Probably not commercial enough ! "Spot The Pigeon", the title track of an EP and a tentative hit (?) single is OK. The last ones in this category are "Heart On Fire" and "Feeding" which are the usual Collins oriented stuff.

Other songs are good to even very good :"Evidence of Autumn" from the "Duke" sessions (already released on the US version of "Three Sides Live" - this is also the case for "Paper Late" by the way). "Inside" comes from the "Wind" sessions and has flavour of "Your Own Special Way" : it is less poppy, and very, very quiet). My favourite track of this CD is "Submarine". This B-side is a slow instrumental and almost noinaudible during two minutes : you really have to turn up the volume to max. to hear it, but then it nicely builds crescendo and turns out to be very symphonic.

Disc two : like on "Archives - Volume I", we have a live CD. This is the one I prefer on this compilation.

I was quite happy to hear two tracks from "And then they Were Three". The band usually skipped this album from their live sets (with the exception of its supporting tour which can be heard on the unoffical "Follow You, Follow Me" album recorded at Chicago Uptown Theatre - October 13, 1978). These are excellent versions of "Burning Rope" and "Deep In The Motherlode". "Trick " is represented with two quiet tracks "Ripples" and "Entangled". This is understandable since most of the other ones are featured on "Seconds Out". One can only regret that the best song out of it "Mad Man Moon" has never been played live (this information is available on the Genesis official web-site). But they don't tell us why !

On the other hand, I was dispointed that there is only one song from "Wind "(and not the best one) : "Your Own Special Way". I know that they played "Eleventh Earl of Mar" as well as "All in a Mouse's Night" during their 1978 tour. This would have been a better choice.

From "Duke", the rendition of "Duke's Travels, Duke's End" is absolutely fantastic. The highlight of disc two, for sure. The last three numbers come from what I consider their weakest albums, so there is no big deal here.

Disc three is the weakest from these "Archives" (like disc four was for "Archives I"). A lot of 12" versions of poor songs from their less creative studio career. Some interesting moments though : A live version of "The Lady Lies" from "And Then...", an extended demo of "Mama" with a keyboard solo at the end (this is the only unreleased studio material here) . This version is quieter than the one we know, and honestly I do prefer this version. "The Day The Light Went Out" is quite rocking and very good for a B-side, sounds like it comes out of "And Then..."). Same applies to "Vancouver". The most interesting one (IMO) is "It's Yourself" : it seems to be an earlier version of "Los Endos" but with vocals during the first three minutes and a very quiet end (a bit in the style of "Dancing Out") ! I will rate this effort three stars.

It is with a lot of emotion that this closes my reviews for Genesis. I reviewed a total of twenty-four works. I have done this in the course of the last two months (writing a lot more reviews from other beloved bands which will be posted soon). I spent some fantastic moments listening again to some of their work. As you have noticed in my reviews, I am the old fan type (from "Trespass" to "Duke"). I have suffered a lot with their later work. In the early seventies, Genesis was my preferred band and probably one of the most influent of the prog rock genre of all time. Thanks a million Mike, Peter, Phil, Steve, Tony and to a lesser extent Jonathan, Anthony and John. You were integrant part of my life when I was a teenager and I remind this period of my life with great emotions. Again, thank you very, very, very much.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#105043) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 31, 2006

Review by progaardvark
2 stars The second Archive box set released by Genesis covers the Phil Collins era of the group. As you can imagine, it's a mixed bag of stuff; some of it great, some of it just plain awful. The best stuff of the whole collections is the second disc containing unreleased live material. Of particular note are Duke's Travels, Burning Rope, and Ripples. The first and third discs are mainly unreleased material, although some of the tracks were previously available on Three Sides Live and the Spot the Pigeon EP. In many ways, this is basically what a fan would expect in a box set which is also why it isn't always necessarily a wise purchase unless you are a die-hard fan. Much of the unreleased material is forgettable (like the awful 12-inch single version of Invisible Touch). Some of it is slightly interesting. For collectors and die-hard fans only. Two stars.

Send comments to progaardvark (BETA) | Report this review (#127970) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 09, 2007

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars Do the neurotic

This three disc set complies some otherwise unavailable Genesis songs, the most interesting being the non-album b-sides. The first disc is dominated by these and it starts with On The Shoreline, the b-side to the I Can't Dance single. This song is 100% We Can't Dance in both sound and quality, it sounds just like the songs on that album and it is not any worse or any better than an average We Can't Dance track. Hearts On Fire, on the other hand, which was the b-side to Jesus He Knows Me, is a much lesser song which would have been a sore thumb on the album (which has its bad moments). This one sounds more like a Phil Collins solo number, which is hardly a compliment! You Might Recall is an older song and was originally released on the 3x3 EP in 1982 together with Paperlate (also featured in this box set) and Me and Virgil (not featured here). Both Paperlate and You Might Recall are dispensable and the former is incredibly trite!

Evidence Of Autumn is a good song that was the b-side to Misunderstanding single from the Duke album. The song is very much in the style of Duke. Prog it is not, though. Do The Neurotic is an instrumental that originally appeared as the b-side to the Land Of Confusion single from the Invisible Touch album and it is in the style of The Brazilian from that album. This one is at least semi-progressive and quite decent with nice guitar and keyboard work. I'd Rather Be You quickly brings us down to earth, this is possibly the worst of the songs here even though the competition for that position is fierce! This song first appeared as the b-side to In Too Deep also from Invisible Touch, though it sounds more like an outtake from Abacab. Naminau is from the Abacab days, and it is another stinker; extremely repetitive and very annoying.

Inside And Out was one of the three tracks from the Spot The Pigeon EP from 1978 and is thus the first track here that goes back to the Steve Hackett-era and as such it is the first track here that might interest the Prog purist. It is a nice song, but very far behind the Trick Of The Tail and Wind And Wuthering material. The other song from Spot The Pigeon that appears here is Pigeons, but strangely that one is relegated to the third disc. The third track from that EP, Match Of The Day, is not featured at all. Feeding The Fire once again brings us back to the commercial period of Invisible Touch, this one was also a b-side to Land Of Confusion. The first disc is rounded out by an unnecessary 12" version of I Can't Dance and the floating instrumental Submarine, which was the b-side to Man On The Corner from the Abacab album.

The second disc consists entirely of live recordings of familiar songs from various sources. As such there is not much interest in it, with several other live albums out there. It sounds rather incoherent given that it is not a single concert, but songs recorded over a period spanning from the late 70's to the early 90's. Some nice moments, but hardly essential given what is available elsewhere.

The third disc contains further unnecessary 12" mixes of familiar songs and a few further live recordings. With the exception of Mama (Work In Progress), the rest of disc three holds further non-album studio recordings. This is very welcome with some of the most interesting selection of the box coming at the end. Open Door was the b-side to Duchess in 1980 and is unsurprisingly rooted in the sound of Duke. The Day The Light Went Out and Vancouver were both b-sides to the Many Too Many single from 1978 and is as such similar in sound to the And Then There Were Three album. However, they are far behind the album tracks in quality. Still nice, though. Then there is the aforementioned Pigeons and a track called It's Yourself that apparently is a Trick Of The Tale outtake. This one was originally intended to come just before Los Endos and you can clearly recognize the parts towards the end that were used in Los Endos. This is an interesting outtake, but it is wholly understandable that it was left off the brilliant Trick Of The Tale album (my personal favourite Genesis album!).

While this archive release might be a goldmine for hard core fans, it is really only of major interest to just such fans. For me this is a great way to get hold of the band's non-album b-sides that otherwise would require me to search out and buy many individual singles. Nothing here is essential, but surely a nice addition for fans and collectors.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#258851) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 01, 2010

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
2 stars This one's a very mixed bag indeed. Covering the Phil Collins- era of the band on three CD's and collecting only tracks not included on the albums, it consists of three kinds of tracks: 1) live recordings not included on Seconds Out, Three Sides Live or The Way We Walk, 2) studio outtakes from album sessions (some have appeared as B-sides or otherwise, which sadly isn't indicated in the info), 3) maxi-single versions of hits such as 'Land of Confusion' or 'I Can't Dance'. Fortunately the latter department is not big. But with these principles it's clear that this set is designed for fans of the Collins-era Genesis.

The essays are very informative about the band history during the time, with several well- known prog musicians passing by. It just annoyed me how they seem to take commercial success as proof of artistic success as well. For example: Invisible Touch is great because it had so many hits. Ouch! Another annoying thing is the total lack of logic in the running order, except that the second disc is completely live recordings. It would have been nicer to have a chronological order, for the studio material at least.

I have never been a fan for live recordings. If I have the song as the studio version, I usually don't much care about getting a live version of it. In the case of Genesis that's exactly so (but of course Seconds out is interesting for including Gabriel-era music with new lead vocalist! In this box however there are no tracks pre-dating Gabriel's departure). That's not to say these live selections wouldn't be OK, and naturally in many cases they make better listening than B- sid or left-out tracks. No surprise that I enjoyed 'Entangled' and 'Ripples' the most in the live department. Sadly the Hackett-era (76-77) offered quite a little to be collected here, studio or live.

My curiosity was mainly on the tracks I hadn't heard before. Perhaps surprisingly the most interesting ones are fusion-like instrumentals dating around Abacab (1981). 70's tracks originally appeared on Spot The Pigeon EP were not all as good as I hoped. All in all, this is a clear case of "Collectors/fans only". To those preferring Collins-era to Gabriel-era.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#297244) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 03, 2010

Review by Guillermo
4 stars This 3 CD Boxed Set is good, but, with Genesis increasingly becoming a more Pop Rock influenced band since 1978, the contrasts between the tracks are more clear. So, I divide the tracks in three groups:

The Live Tracks. For me, the most interesting thing in this release, with the tracks recorded between1976 and 1980 being the most interesting. It is good to have very good live versions with good mixings of "Entangled", "Deep in the Motherlode", Ripples", "Burning Rope", "Duke`s Travels" and "The Lady Lies". The live tracks from 1981 are still good, despite being Pop influenced songs ("Not Reply at All" and "Man on the Corner"). But from the 1984 live tracks, only "It`s Gonna Get Better" is good, with "Illegal Alien" being a disposable track as I consider it as the worst song they composed. The live tracks recorded during the "Invisible Touch" tour, "The Brazilian" and "Your Own Special Way", are not very interesting, despite the latter has a string arrangement. Why they didn`t release a live version from 1977 instead? From the "We Can`t Dance" tour, there is "Dreaming While You Sleep", which I think that it is the same version which was released in the "Never a Time " CD single in 1993, and it is a good version.

The B-sides and tracks taken from E.Ps. Again, the most interesting for me are the songs recorded between 1976 and 1980 , but again, the tracks recorded in 1981 are still good. Among the best are: "It`s Yourself" (1976), "Pigeons" and "Inside and Out" (from the "Spot the Pigeon" E.P., 1977),"The Day the Light Went Out" and "Vancouver" (1978), "Open Door" and "Evidence of Autumn" (1980). The tracks recorded during the "Abacab" album sesions (1981) are still good ("You Might Recall",and "Paperlate", both from the "3 x 3" E.P., and "Submarine" and "Naminanu"). I still think that "Match of the day" (from the "Spot the Pigeon" E.P.,1977) and "Me and Virgil" (from the "3 x 3" E.P., 1981) could have been better choices to be included in this Box Set (but were not included as the band members didn`t like them anymore then) than the inclusion of the tracks recorded during the "Invisible Touch" ("Do the Neurotic", I`d Rather Be you", "Feeding the Fire") and "We Can`t Dance" album sessions ("On the Shoreline", "Hearts of Fire"), all of them very Pop tracks which show why they were released as B-sides of singles.

The less interesting tracks in this Box Set are "Mama (Work in Progress)" and the inclusion of the 12" remixes of "Invisible Touch", "Land of Confusion", "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" and "I Can`t Dance", which could be only interesting for the most "obsessive fans" of their Pop years. I think that instead of including all these tracks it could have been better to include more live tracks, like the 1976 tour version of "Dance on a Volcano" with Bill Bruford, more live tracks from their 1977 ,1978 and 1980 tours, like "Eleventh Earl of Mar", "One for the Vine", "Your Own Special Way", "All in a Mouse`s Night", "In that Quiet Earth/ Afterglow", "Inside and Out" , "Say it`s Alright, Joe", etc.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#303534) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Review by lazland
4 stars The second of three official boxsets issued by the band, this one covers the Phil Collins era from Trick Of A Tail onwards, and, as such, invites tons of hostility and inevitable comments as to the fact that "they're not prog any more".

Well, nonsense. This boxset is too large for a detailed review of each and every track, but there are some progressive rock gems hidden in here, and, yes, some damn good commercial rock as well.

As with the first boxset, it is the live releases which attract the most interest, and, in the main, the most enjoyment. With the exceptions of No Reply At All, one of their most forgettable compositions, and Illegal Alien, their worst composition ever, there is not a bum track included. When, for instance, you listen to this version of Dreaming While You Sleep, you come to the realisation that here, in the 1990's, was still a huge symphonic prog force. It's Gonna Get Better sounds fantastic live, and the classics just roll off the tongue. Tracks such as Ripples, The Brazilian, The Lady Lies, and the symphonic tour de force that was Duke's Travels all make you sit up and notice as to how wide ranging and important this band were.

The 12 inch versions of the more pop directed tracks all add quite a lot to what were, to these ears, enjoyable tracks anyway. Dare I say it, they add a progressive element to all?

Lastly, there are also some previously discarded or obscure gems included on this, as with Archives One, except I think these are far better, although, of course, this is also due to the infinitely superior production utilised as compared to the schoolboy era. Particular highlights are Its Yourself, Vancouver, and Evidence Of Autumn.

This is not a boxset that should be purchased solely by completionists. It is something I think all Genesis fans will take huge pleasure in listening to, although the price of it might put a number off.

Four stars for this, from an unashamed Collins era fan.

Send comments to lazland (BETA) | Report this review (#351582) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 13, 2010

3 stars Genesis Archive #2 is a very good box set. The sound is very good and most of the tracks are well chosen. There are, however, some inconsistancies. Match of the Day from the Spot the Pigeon EP is missing as well as many of the live cuts from the 1980s that were on 12" singles and flip sides o ... (read more)

Report this review (#904108) | Posted by wehpanzer | Friday, February 01, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars If one can enjoy latter-day Genesis, then this is a collection worth having. The 12" versions are superb, really superior to the regular versions, harder and longer, slightly more progressive. They are less polished however (obviously), cluttered and if you don't like the originals at all, you wil ... (read more)

Report this review (#127434) | Posted by mcgoverntj | Tuesday, July 03, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This is not the 80's Genesis, but it's also not prog.... There are crappy 12" mixes which sound horrible and also progressive tracks (most notable the live versions of "Ripples", "Entangled", "Burning Rope" and "Duke's Travels / End"). But it's NOT a bad album!!! Listen to the B-side tracks (fr ... (read more)

Report this review (#35247) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Oh, c'mon guys, it isn't that bad.... In fact its very good. The tracks fall into a couple categories: 13 Live tracks, 16 studio outtakes, 4 dance mixes and 1 work in progress recording of the band jamming. The first two categories make up the vast majority and its the reason you are even bot ... (read more)

Report this review (#10798) | Posted by beterdedthnred4 | Saturday, March 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars This for me is nowhere near as essential as the first archive box set. This is the commercial money-making machine version of genesis. If you like the pop side of the band then you will probably love this this. It does contain some interesting tacks, a few b-sides are good and i must admit i q ... (read more)

Report this review (#10797) | Posted by Prog_head | Wednesday, March 09, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I found myself probing this poor collection to find the good stuff... the biggest problem with this collection is the span of time is too great. 1976-1980 might work much better. Pack it with lots of "Trick" and "Wind" live bits and pieces and even studio demos... why on earth are we interes ... (read more)

Report this review (#10793) | Posted by | Wednesday, August 25, 2004 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I remember waiting for this compilation to be released. Being a completist, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it for little gems like "It's Yourself", "The Day the Lights Went Out", and "Vancouver". I figured it would be nice to have ALL of Genesis' later B-sides in one nice little packag ... (read more)

Report this review (#10792) | Posted by | Tuesday, July 20, 2004 | Review Permanlink

2 stars This triple-disc dip into Genesis' vaults covers a much more commercially successful span than the first "Archive" box did, but that doesn't mean it's right for casual fans. Yes, there are some hits on this collection of non-album tracks, like the studio "Paperlate," a live "Illegal Alien" (wh ... (read more)

Report this review (#10790) | Posted by | Tuesday, July 06, 2004 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Some of the live takes are very good here, notably Ripples, Deep in the Motherlode and Burning Rope. I was glad to get a decent version of some 7 inch single cuts, like Inside and Out (great Hackett track), Evidence of Autumn and Vancouver, all from the mid to late 70's heyday. Also, there are some ... (read more)

Report this review (#10784) | Posted by | Friday, March 26, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of GENESIS "Archive 2 1976 - 1992"