ARCHIVE 2 1976 - 1992

Good, but non-essential

Buy GENESIS Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 2000

CD ONE: 63:43
1. On The Shoreline (4:49)
2. Hearts On Fire (5:14)
3. You Might Recall (5:31)
4. Paperlate (3:21)
5. Evidence Of Autumn (4:58)
6. Do The Neurotic (7:08)
7. I'd Rather Be You (3:58)
8. Naminanu (3:54)
9. Inside And Out (6:43)
10. Feeding The Fire (5:51)
11. I Can't Dance 12" (7:02)
12. Submarine (5:13)
CD TWO: 72:42
1. Illegal Alien (5:31)
2. Dreaming While You Sleep (7:48)
3. It's Gonna Get Better (7:32)
4. Deep In The Motherlode (5:54)
5. Ripples (9:53)
6. The Brazilian (5:17)
7. Your Own Special Way (6:51)
8. Burning Rope (7:28)
9. Entangled (6:57)
10. Duke's Travels / Duke's End (9:31)
CD THREE: 69:37
1. Invisible Touch 12" (5:58)
2. Land Of Confusion 12" (6:59)
3. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight 12" (11:46)
4. No Reply At All (4:56)
5. Man On The Corner (4:04)
6. The Lady Lies (6:08)
7. Open Door (4:08)
8. The Day The Light Went Out (3:14)
9. Vancouver (3:03)
10. Pigeons (3:13)
11. It's Yourself (5:25)
12. Mama (work in progress) (10:43)

Search GENESIS Archive 2 1976 - 1992 lyrics

- Mike Rutherford / bass guitar, lead guitar, 12-string guitar, backing vocals
- Daryl Stuermer / bass guitar, lead guitar, backing vocals
- Chester Thompson / drums, percussion

and to Snow Dog for the last updates

GENESIS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GENESIS Archive 2 1976 - 1992 Music

Turn It on Again: The HitsTurn It on Again: The Hits
Atlantic 2007
R-KiveR-Kive
Box set
Rhino 2014
Lamb Lies Down on BroadwayLamb Lies Down on Broadway
EMI Europe Generic 2009
Trick of the Tail (CD/DVD)Trick of the Tail (CD/DVD)
Rhino 2007
Remastered
Atlantic 1994
Wind & Wuthering [Bonus DVD]Wind & Wuthering [Bonus DVD]
Rhino 2007
Mike & Mechanics Genesis - Everybody Gets a 2nd Chance UK cd - special cover US $35.72 Buy It Now 30m 30s
GENESIS-S/T-COLOMBIA '75 FOLK ROCK PSYCH-NEW CD US $29.99 Buy It Now 37m 56s
Genesis Revisited by Steve : Format: Audio CD : Live at Hammersmith US $33.45 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Soul Children - Soul Children/Genesis CD US $27.15 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Genesis Yes Vinyl Progressive Rock Lot US $9.62 [0 bids]
GENESIS SELLING ENGLAND POUND 1973 GATEFOLD LIVE PHOTO ITALY LP VINYL RECORD US $41.44 Buy It Now 2h 3m
THE LAST KNELL - Aeon Vmbra Genesis CD US $7.90 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Peter Gabriel RARE Authentic Sledgehammer Signed Vinyl Ep Record + Photo Genesis US $299.99 Buy It Now 2h 20m
Genesis A TRICK OF THE TAIL LP album 1976 US $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 22m
Vinyl Record Genesis US $3.00 [0 bids]
JOB FOR A COWBOY - GENESIS [JOB FOR A COWBOY] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $10.42 Buy It Now 2h 38m
GENESIS NURSERY CRYME / GATEFOLD COVER WITH OBI US $79.99 Buy It Now 2h 39m
GENESIS - THREE SIDES LIVE - NEW CD BOXSET US $23.93 Buy It Now 2h 40m
CD/Japan- PHIL COLLINS Live From The Board 4trx EP w/OBI RARE LIVE'94 - GENESIS US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 43m
GENESIS - Abacab - 1981 UK 10-track LP US $14.91 Buy It Now 2h 59m
Genesis - Wind and Wuthering LP - Atco Records SD 36-144 US $3.99 [0 bids]
3 CD LOT GENESIS, PHIL COLLINS, PETER GABRIEL GREATEST BEST OF ROCK POP 80's US $4.99 [0 bids]
1978 Peter Gabriel S/T LP Atlantic SD 19181 EX/VG+ Genesis Art Rock US $15.25 Buy It Now 3h 20m
THE SOUL CHILDREN - SOUL CHILDREN/GENESIS (2 ON 1) - NEW CD US $11.16 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Genesis - Phil Collins 3 vhs video tapes plus 1 cd single great collection US $9.35 [0 bids]
Psychic TV (Genesis P. Orridge) - Live in Glasgow LP & CD, and Subterrania CD US $39.99 [0 bids]
Wea Japan Promo only LP 83 Depeche Mode Clapton Genesis US $89.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
GENESIS - Invisible Touch - 1986 UK 3-track 12" vinyl single US $11.59 Buy It Now 4h 12m
GENESIS 7" PS Japan PAPERLATE promo r6263 US $18.00 Buy It Now 4h 15m
GENESIS - Tonight Tonight Tonight - Limited edition 1987 UK 4-track 12'' US $21.54 Buy It Now 4h 17m
BUSTA RHYMES - GENESIS [BUSTA RHYMES] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $6.70 Buy It Now 4h 23m
GENESIS Live The Way We Walk JAPANESE TOSHIBA-EMI CD ALBUM VJCP-68110! US $41.44 Buy It Now 4h 27m
Steve Hackett (of Genesis) - Spectral Mornings - LP Vinyl Record US $8.21 Buy It Now 4h 42m
1987 - GENESIS - The Invisible Touch Tour - Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $14.91 Buy It Now 4h 44m
1987 - GENESIS / PAUL YOUNG - Wembley Tour Date - Press Advert - Poster Size US $14.91 Buy It Now 4h 46m
Genesis - Invisible Touch 1990 Cassette Rock US $2.50 Buy It Now 4h 50m
GENESIS: Trespass US $13.95 Buy It Now 5h
Genesis ~ Foxtrot, 1988Y, USA, Sealed US $55.00 Buy It Now 5h 2m
Genesis - Invisible Touch (U.K. Band) (CD, Oct-1990, Atlantic) JAPAN 781641-2 US $15.19 Buy It Now 5h 8m
1982 GENESIS "THREE SIDES LIVE" Vinyl 2 lp US $12.00 [0 bids]
Genesis - Invisible Touch (U.K. Band) (CD, Oct-1990, Atlantic) DADC 781641-2 US $8.54 Buy It Now 5h 9m
Genesis Abacab LP US $8.00 [0 bids]
PROMO WHITE LABEL / PETER GABRIEL S/T / GENESIS US $69.99 Buy It Now 5h 13m
Genesis Live: The Way We Walk, Vol. 1 (The Shorts) by Genesis (U.K. Band)... US $3.00 [0 bids]
Genesis - Abacab 1981 Cassette Rock US $3.00 Buy It Now 5h 31m
Genesis (Atlantic,1983) NM Vinyl LP US $2.99 Buy It Now 5h 34m
RAVI SHANKAR - GENESIS - FRENCH OST 33T LP NM US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 41m
Genesis "Three Sides Live" Double LP US $4.95 Buy It Now 5h 42m
Genesis Self Titled LP in SHRINK US $4.95 Buy It Now 5h 42m
Rock Roots: Genesis Album 1976 US $7.99 [0 bids]
Promo Genesis ABACAB Album US $6.99 [0 bids]
Knebworth - Pink Floyd Genesis album artwork US 12 x 12" promo poster 2 sided US $3.99 Buy It Now 5h 54m
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway Sealed Vinyl 2 LP EU 2013 FREE SHIP US $49.85 Buy It Now 5h 56m
JEAN MICHEL JARRE "Magnetic" STEVE HACKETT "Hope" GENESIS -7" PROMO ITALY+STRIP! US $17.99 Buy It Now 5h 56m
STEVE HACKETT Genesis Revisited Re MINI LP CD JAPAN OBI RARE US $29.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS INVISIBLE TOUCH ORIGINAL CD MADE IN JAPAN FIRST PRESSING US $99.00 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Genesis - Foxtrot - Sealed Vinyl LP EU 2013 FREE SHIP US $39.85 Buy It Now 5h 58m
STEVE HACKETT 2 MINI LP CDS JAPAN JOHN WETTON KING CRIMSON GENESIS RARE US $59.99 [0 bids]
Genesis - Trespass - Sealed Vinyl LP EU 2013 FREE SHIP US $39.85 Buy It Now 6h
Genesis Wind & Wuthering 1976 1st Press, EXC, ULTRASONIC CLEANED US $24.00 Buy It Now 6h 4m
GENESIS AND THEN THERE WERE THREE charisma 78 A5B1 UK orig Lp +knebworth insert US $16.56 Buy It Now 6h 5m
GENESIS hold on my heart GENS 8 jukebox promo uk virgin 1991 7" WS EX/ US $11.59 Buy It Now 6h 9m
BRAND X product CAS 1147 1st press phil collins john giblin LP PS EX/EX genesis US $19.60 Buy It Now 6h 13m
BRAND X (GENESIS) unorthodox behaviour CAS 1117 A2/B2 mad hatter uk LP PS EX/EX US $25.40 Buy It Now 6h 13m
GENESIS. A TRICK OF THE TAIL GATEFOLD PICTURE SLEEVE SD 36-129 1976 Phil Collins US $1.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS wind and wuthering CDS 4005 A2/B1 portuguese mad hatter LP PS EX/EX US $14.91 Buy It Now 6h 16m
BRAND X (GENESIS) livestock CLASS 5 A1/B1 1st press uk charisma 1977 LP PS EX/VG US $13.25 Buy It Now 6h 19m
GENESIS INVISIBLE TOUCH RARE PHILLIPINES PRESSED 1986 VINYL LP *EXCELLENT ITEM US $24.79 Buy It Now 6h 20m
NEON GENESIS EVANGELION ADDITION US $8.00 Buy It Now 6h 27m
TONY BANKS SOUNDTRACKS Japan Promo LP with OBI, GENESIS US $16.99 Buy It Now 6h 30m
Genesis - ...and then there were three - LP - G US $2.99 [0 bids]
Lot 4 Cassett Tapes Reggae White Nights The Mavericks Genesis - Invisable Touch US $1.99 Buy It Now 6h 42m
STEVE HACKETT / GENESIS DEFECTOR 1980 LP * EX/EX ITEM US $11.52 Buy It Now 6h 42m
NEW 2005 Joy Williams GENESIS Beautiful Redemption 10-Song Christian Music CD US $7.00 Buy It Now 6h 45m
GENESIS - FOXTROT 180 GRAM VINYL LP (MARCH 4th 2013) US $28.17 Buy It Now 6h 45m
7" Single 45 - GENESIS - BALLAD OF BIG - 1978 - BRAZIL US $12.99 Buy It Now 6h 48m
GENESIS And Then There Were Three 1978 Atlantic LP KSD 19173 EXC-/EXC US $6.75 Buy It Now 6h 51m
VARIOUS - Genesis NEW CD ROOTS LOVERS RIDDIM SPECIAL PRICE 2.99 US $4.96 Buy It Now 7h 2m
Genesis Atlantic 45 Record #89724 VG+ That's All / Second Home By The Sea US $4.00 Buy It Now 7h 4m
GENESIS (ROCK/PROG/POP GROUP) no son of mine CD 3 track b/w living forever and i US $8.27 Buy It Now 7h 5m
London Symphony Orchestra Ian Anderson Music of Genesis CD 1987 RCA Red Seal US $10.00 [0 bids]
GENESIS THROWING IT ALL AWAY 45 7" VINYL RECORD, EXCELLENT CONDITION US $1.99 Buy It Now 7h 9m
Genesis - 23 tracks in a Premium Tin Case (2CD 2009) - 24HR POST!!! US $14.08 Buy It Now 7h 23m
GENESIS - NURSERY CRYME 180 GRAM VINYL LP (MARCH 4th 2013) US $28.17 Buy It Now 7h 26m
GENESIS "Wind & Wuthering" (CD, 1990 Atco) [Definitive Edition, Remaster] US $10.60 Buy It Now 7h 29m
GENESIS TURN IT ON AGAIN THE HITS CD NEW/SEALED US $8.99 Buy It Now 7h 30m
99 CENT CD -Genesis A Trick of the Tail US $0.99 [1 bids]
We Can't Dance, Genesis, Good US $1.00 Buy It Now 7h 49m
CD GENESIS We Cant Dance NEAR MINT CANADA US $5.00 Buy It Now 7h 51m
Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisted II: Selection - 506522 US $15.47 Buy It Now 7h 52m
Don McLean(7"Vinyl)Crying / Genesis-VG/Ex US $4.99 Buy It Now 7h 54m
Genesis 'Classic Rock Inside Genesis Critical Review 1975-80' CD US $5.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS - From Genesis To Revelation (1993 17 trk CD album) Peter Gabriel US $8.27 [0 bids]
GENESIS Trespass CAS 1020 Stereo 1970 Lp ALBUM Featuring LOOKING For SOMEONE US $4.91 Buy It Now 7h 57m
Job lot 2 GENESIS And THEN There WAS Three CDS 4010 1978 Stereo DUKE CBR 101A US $7.51 Buy It Now 7h 57m
GENESIS I KNOW WHAT I LIKE IN YOUR WARDROBE 45 US $0.83 [1 bids]
GENESIS Classic Rock LP AND THEN THERE WERE THREE US $4.99 [0 bids]
8h
STEVE HACKETT / GENESIS CLOCKS 1979 THREE TRACK VINYL 12 INCH SINGLE*NEAR MINT US $14.84 Buy It Now 8h 3m
GENESIS (PHIL COLLINS-AND THEN THERE WERE THREE rock LP US $5.98 Buy It Now 8h 4m
Invisible Touch by Genesis (U.K. Band) (CD, Oct-1990, Atlantic (Label)) 1986 US $0.99 [0 bids]
We Can't Dance by Genesis (U.K. Band) (CD, Nov-1991, Atlantic (Label)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Anthony Phillips Missing Links V.1 Finger Painting SEALED 1991 CANADA CD Genesis US $13.95 Buy It Now 8h 13m
Steve Hackett Momentum SEALED Original 1988 UK CD Genesis GTR King Crimson US $17.95 Buy It Now 8h 13m
Steve Hackett Time Lapse SEALED 1992 Netherlands CD Genesis GTR King Crimson US $15.95 Buy It Now 8h 13m
Emerson, Lake & Palmer Then & Now SEAL:ED UK 97 2CD Genesis Moody Blues.HR Giger US $15.95 Buy It Now 8h 13m

More places to buy GENESIS music online Buy GENESIS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GENESIS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GENESIS Archive 2 1976 - 1992 ratings distribution

GENESIS Archive 2 1976 - 1992 reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars I find this one of almost more interest than the first box-set, although I dislike the band from Duke on . There are some interesting tracks from the Trick and Wind era but nothing really super , and and throughout the three cds there are more "gifts"as rare and unreleased tracks are are prolific in this box - not that I enjoy outtakes from Invisible Touch - as compared to the first box. But i'm glad I could rent it , because I would have never bought it.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#10785) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Review by Marcelo
1 stars I guess that all people at this site loves progressive music. So, I guess (almost) everybody loves the true GENESIS. And, although I guess everybody knows what happened with that once incredible band, here is my humble advice in case of somebody decides to check out this horrible monster signed by... GENESIS???

This stuff from this strange band, a sort of a Phil Collins (once a great drummer) project, includes 34 songs, and just two listenable! Six per cent isn't a good treat. Except "Ripples" and "Entangled", the rest is simply the most disgusting pop. It's an expensive three-cd set, keep your money! In addition, avoid it even if would be for free.

Send comments to Marcelo (BETA) | Report this review (#10786) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 03, 2004

Review by Chris S
4 stars Great stuff all round. If you are an avid fan of Genesis then you will want this arrchive set as part of your collection. The track ' It's yourself' and it's similarity to the subsequent Los Endos song, this alone makes the archive set worthwhile along with Burning Rope live, Ripples and Evidence of Autumn

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#10791) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Review by soundsweird
3 stars I'll admit it; I waited and waited to buy this until I found a cheap copy at a record convention. I knew that there would be little in the way of new and undiscovered finds. But, I had to get it for the following reasons: 1. "It's Yourself"; this was the B-side to the British Import 7" single "Ripples", which I had ruined through repeated plays. This is the "missing" song from "Trick of the Tail", the one that allows "Los Endos" to finally make sense ("What's that section doing in there? It's not from any of the songs on the album!"). And it's just a great song anyway. 2. "You Might Recall"; one of the studio tracks from the original "Three Sides Live". This catchy, melodic and semi-progressive song got a lot of radio airplay at the time, and I wanted a clean-sounding version. 3. Various live versions of songs that didn't appear on other live albums. 4. Surprise! Some of the studio tracks I hadn't heard are pretty good....however, I'm glad I waited for that bargain price. Too bad the damn thing takes up so much room, but it does fit alongside Volume 1, which I don't mind making room for at all.

Send comments to soundsweird (BETA) | Report this review (#10795) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Review by Gatot
3 stars As prog lover actually I reluctant (very!) to purchase this box set. But, as Genesis fan since seventies, I feel like being obliged to spend my money for the band that I love. And so I did. It's good to put in my CD shelf as on box set altogether with other box sets of legendary bands like ELP, King Crimson, YES, and also Genesis Archive vol. 1. Is that the only value for this box set? Not really, actually. Of course I sometime spin the CD Two that contains a previously performed live track "Ripples". What a great live record. "Ripples" from "A Trick of The Tail" album is one of my favorites Genesis tracks because I like the segment that features keyboard and howling guitar alternate work in the middle of the track. And now, it's performed live. So, I enjoy it! The other tracks that I enjoy are: "Burning Rope", "Entangled" and "Duke's Travels / Duke's Ends". This box set also contains two tracks from "Spot The Pigeons" EP. Keep on proggin' ..!

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#44076) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Review by NJprogfan
3 stars I was given this boxset as a Christmas gift back in 2000, (I was actually hoping to get Vol.1!). Upon hearing it for the first time I was extremely disappointed. I really didn't need to hear anything that came after DUKE, even if it was live. Back then it would have gotten a 2-star rating. But 5 years later I can honestly give it a solid three stars, and its mainly for the live tracks from the early tours, (Trick of the Tail, And Then There Were Three & Duke tours). I enjoy hearing "Deep In The Motherlode", "Ripples", "Burning Rope", and "The Lady Lies". But I especially like the live version of "Duke's Travels", the last song to have that Banks wall of sound. Of the many b-sides and other tracks, "The Day The Light Went Out" is my favorite. Least would have to be all the 12" singles, especially "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight", godawful! The good outweigh the bad on this set, so for my money, the live tracks make up for the whole thing. Buy it if you can get it on the cheap go for it.

Send comments to NJprogfan (BETA) | Report this review (#50130) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Review by Zac M
2 stars This is a three disc set of post-Gabriel Genesis material. Some people would despise ever owning such a thing, but I find myself enjoying some if it. In fact, I got mine for fifteen dollars used. I thought I was getting a great deal, and after listening to the whole set, I noticed that there are obvious high points and low points. In my opinion, this is a true treat for the fans of post-Gabriel Genesis or those wanting to discover deepcuts and live tracks by one of prog's most prolific and controversial bands. Now, on to the review.

The first disc is a set of deep cuts, unreleased tracks, singles, etc... collected on to one cd. The "We Can't Dance" tracks aren't very good. I mean really, who wants to hear a 12" version of "We Can't Dance?" I'm sure someone does, but it really is not my cup of tea. "On the Shorline" is a pretty good song considering it came from the same sessions. I like it more than most of the tracks on the "We Can't Dance" album. I wish I could say the same thing for "Hearts on Fire," but in my opinion, it's pop garbage. The "Abacab" songs again are overall pretty poppy, although I find myself enjoying "Naminanu" and to some exten "Submarine." "Naminamu," although it is repetitive, is one of the stronger tracks. One track from the "Invisible Touch" sessions really stands out. "Do the Neurotic" is an incredible instrumental that reminds one of "The Brazilian," but is much longer and better. It is the best track on the album. The other two songs come from "Duke" and "Wind and Wuthering" sessions, but are just ok by me.

The second disc has many live tracks performed during the Collins era. I really enjoy the live version of "Dreaming While You Sleep"; to me, it is much better than the album version. "Deep in the Motherlode" is a track that is full of energy. You can tell that the band was really enjoying performing this song live, and the audience seems to enjoy it as well. The two instrumentals, "Duke's Travels" and "The Brazilian," are great as usual. Other noteables tracks are "Burning Rope," "Ripples," and "Entangled." Honestly, I could do without the rest, although "Illegal Alien" is an extremely catchy song.

The third disc is a hodge podge of 12" versions of hit songs, some more live tracks, more deep cuts (B-sides, singles, etc...), and Mama, presented as a work in progress. The twelve inch versions here are much more enjoyable than the "We Can't Dance" 12". Some of these "remixes" are even proggier than the original album cuts. I'm not to fond of the live releases on this disc. They seem somewhat random, and in my opinion, are not performed as well as those on the second disc. The B-sides and singles aren't even that good this time around. "It's Yourself" is the only real stand-out among them. The last track Mama (work in progress) is actually quite enjoyable. It and the 12"s are the best tracks on the third disc. The third disc is definitely the least representative and interesting.

This box set is good for Genesis completists or those who are fans of the Collins era. I find myself enjoying some of the tracks, but in the end, this set is for the completist, and that is why the set gets two stars. This is for the collectors and fans (of Collins Genesis that is ).

Send comments to Zac M (BETA) | Report this review (#53553) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars There are some 12 inchers here, but you won't listen to them as a rule! .

The second of the "Archive" box sets covers the post-Gabriel period which saw Genesis gradually move away from the fine progressive rock they had created while he was on board. Like it or not though, it also covers the most commercially successful period for the band, and thus this collection will therefore probably have a far wider appeal than volume one. The only album recorded after the period covered by this set was the 1997 Album "Calling all stations", and of course by that time Collins too had left.

It is unfortunate that the compilers chose not to present the tracks here chronologically, as it would have been significant to hear the way their sound mutated from "A trick of the tail" to "Abacab" and "Invisible touch" before the more reassuring finale with "We can't dance". What we end up with is an eclectic mix of previously unreleased recordings, non-album tracks, early studio versions, remixes, and live versions.

The rejects include those studio tracks included on the fourth side of some releases of "Three sides live", with the exception of "Me and Virgil", which was deemed by the band members even now to be unworthy of inclusion. Also included is the excellent "Inside and out" from the "Spot the pigeons" EP, but interestingly not "Match of the day" from that EP, which the band also considered sub-standard, even for this collection! "Inside and out" was recorded early in the life of the Gabriel-less Genesis, and would have fitted in well on either "Trick of the tail" or "Wind and wuthering". The first two tracks on this collection are from the "We can't dance" sessions. "On the shoreline" is a slightly faster "Mama", while "Hearts on fire" is throw away funky pop. We then jump about between 1980 and 1986. While "Evidence of autumn" is a "Duke" outtake, it would have been very much at home on "An then there were three". It is one of the few highlights of disc 1. Why on earth the reasonable instrumental "Submarine" was left off the dire "Abacab" album is a real mystery. At worst, it would have made for a reassuring instrumental break during one of the mediocre songs on that album.

The second disc consists entirely of live performances recorded between 1976 and 1992, the tracks having all originally appeared in studio format on the albums from that period. It is perhaps easy to forget that Genesis did not turn their backs on their prog roots the minute Gabriel left (in fact, it could be said that he was the first to turn). "A trick of the tail" and "Wind and Wuthering" had many fine prog tracks, and even after that, "And then there were three" and "Duke" had their moments. The live versions of "Ripples", "Duke's travels", "Burning rope", and "Entangled" which are included here, are fine reminders of that golden age. "Dreaming while you sleep" from "We can't dance" also shows how they came full circle (or at least 270 degrees!) on their final Collins era album. Steve Hackett is only present on one of the live tracks, "Ripples" (which also features Bill Bruford on drums), and only a couple of the studio tracks are from the time when he was still in the band.

There are several 12" single versions of more familiar tracks, such as "I can't dance", "Invisible touch" and "Tonight ,tonight, tonight". These add nothing to the pop driven originals, only serving to remind us of the depths this once great band sank to. It could be argued that the fact that these tracks lend themselves so readily to the 12" remix treatment is evidence enough of how far they strayed.

Apart from three of these 12" versions, disc 3 has a further three entirely disposable live tracks from 1980-81 and some older, much more interesting outtakes. "Pigeons" was the other track on the aforementioned "Match of the day" EP. "Open door" is a Mike Rutherford song very much in the vein of "Your own special way", while "The day the light went out" is a rather striking Banks composition from the "ATTW3" sessions. The excitement of finding an outtake from the "Trick of the tail" sessions rapidly evaporates as it becomes clear why "It's yourself" was omitted form the album. It is not entirely without value though, as part of the latter half went on to become the intro to "Los Endos".

The final track is a "Work in progress" version of "Mama". The lyrics had yet to be written, so Collins is improvising sounds where the vocals will eventually go. The track is interesting in that it gives an insight into how Genesis went about developing their music, but at nearly 11 minutes, it becomes tedious.

The two Genesis Archives sets are split neatly between the Gabriel and Collins led eras, thus this second volume takes us from the first post Gabriel album "A trick of the tail", up to Collin's swansong "We can't dance". Neither this, not volume one should be mistaken for anthologies as neither contains any studio material which has previously appeared on the band's official albums. They are therefore intended for fans/collectors, and not for those who are new to the music of this once seminal band.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#78123) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 14, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars I was quite reluctant to listen to this triple CD effort. While the previous boxset was gorgeous (at least for three CD's out of four), I was very doubtful about the need to release another of the genre to cover the period 1976- 1992. This one not being the best (to say the least). I must admit that after having listening to it carefully, it is a honest compilation.

Disc one contains outakes tracks from several album sessions and some B-side material.

Some numbers are very poor like "Paper Late", "I'd Rather" or "Naminanu". The extended version of "I Can't Dance" is also questionable: the album version was already dull, so an extended 7 minutes one is even more boring.

Some are average like "Do" (a rocking instrumental) or "On The Shoreline" (from the "We Can't Dance" sessions). Actually this song is above par with this album and I do not understand why it did not make it. Probably not commercial enough ! "Spot The Pigeon", the title track of an EP and a tentative hit (?) single is OK. The last ones in this category are "Heart On Fire" and "Feeding" which are the usual Collins oriented stuff.

Other songs are good to even very good :"Evidence of Autumn" from the "Duke" sessions (already released on the US version of "Three Sides Live" - this is also the case for "Paper Late" by the way). "Inside" comes from the "Wind" sessions and has flavour of "Your Own Special Way" : it is less poppy, and very, very quiet). My favourite track of this CD is "Submarine". This B-side is a slow instrumental and almost noinaudible during two minutes : you really have to turn up the volume to max. to hear it, but then it nicely builds crescendo and turns out to be very symphonic.

Disc two : like on "Archives - Volume I", we have a live CD. This is the one I prefer on this compilation.

I was quite happy to hear two tracks from "And then they Were Three". The band usually skipped this album from their live sets (with the exception of its supporting tour which can be heard on the unoffical "Follow You, Follow Me" album recorded at Chicago Uptown Theatre - October 13, 1978). These are excellent versions of "Burning Rope" and "Deep In The Motherlode". "Trick " is represented with two quiet tracks "Ripples" and "Entangled". This is understandable since most of the other ones are featured on "Seconds Out". One can only regret that the best song out of it "Mad Man Moon" has never been played live (this information is available on the Genesis official web-site). But they don't tell us why !

On the other hand, I was dispointed that there is only one song from "Wind "(and not the best one) : "Your Own Special Way". I know that they played "Eleventh Earl of Mar" as well as "All in a Mouse's Night" during their 1978 tour. This would have been a better choice.

From "Duke", the rendition of "Duke's Travels, Duke's End" is absolutely fantastic. The highlight of disc two, for sure. The last three numbers come from what I consider their weakest albums, so there is no big deal here.

Disc three is the weakest from these "Archives" (like disc four was for "Archives I"). A lot of 12" versions of poor songs from their less creative studio career. Some interesting moments though : A live version of "The Lady Lies" from "And Then...", an extended demo of "Mama" with a keyboard solo at the end (this is the only unreleased studio material here) . This version is quieter than the one we know, and honestly I do prefer this version. "The Day The Light Went Out" is quite rocking and very good for a B-side, sounds like it comes out of "And Then..."). Same applies to "Vancouver". The most interesting one (IMO) is "It's Yourself" : it seems to be an earlier version of "Los Endos" but with vocals during the first three minutes and a very quiet end (a bit in the style of "Dancing Out") ! I will rate this effort three stars.

It is with a lot of emotion that this closes my reviews for Genesis. I reviewed a total of twenty-four works. I have done this in the course of the last two months (writing a lot more reviews from other beloved bands which will be posted soon). I spent some fantastic moments listening again to some of their work. As you have noticed in my reviews, I am the old fan type (from "Trespass" to "Duke"). I have suffered a lot with their later work. In the early seventies, Genesis was my preferred band and probably one of the most influent of the prog rock genre of all time. Thanks a million Mike, Peter, Phil, Steve, Tony and to a lesser extent Jonathan, Anthony and John. You were integrant part of my life when I was a teenager and I remind this period of my life with great emotions. Again, thank you very, very, very much.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#105043) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 31, 2006

Review by progaardvark
2 stars The second Archive box set released by Genesis covers the Phil Collins era of the group. As you can imagine, it's a mixed bag of stuff; some of it great, some of it just plain awful. The best stuff of the whole collections is the second disc containing unreleased live material. Of particular note are Duke's Travels, Burning Rope, and Ripples. The first and third discs are mainly unreleased material, although some of the tracks were previously available on Three Sides Live and the Spot the Pigeon EP. In many ways, this is basically what a fan would expect in a box set which is also why it isn't always necessarily a wise purchase unless you are a die-hard fan. Much of the unreleased material is forgettable (like the awful 12-inch single version of Invisible Touch). Some of it is slightly interesting. For collectors and die-hard fans only. Two stars.

Send comments to progaardvark (BETA) | Report this review (#127970) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 09, 2007

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars Do the neurotic

This three disc set complies some otherwise unavailable Genesis songs, the most interesting being the non-album b-sides. The first disc is dominated by these and it starts with On The Shoreline, the b-side to the I Can't Dance single. This song is 100% We Can't Dance in both sound and quality, it sounds just like the songs on that album and it is not any worse or any better than an average We Can't Dance track. Hearts On Fire, on the other hand, which was the b-side to Jesus He Knows Me, is a much lesser song which would have been a sore thumb on the album (which has its bad moments). This one sounds more like a Phil Collins solo number, which is hardly a compliment! You Might Recall is an older song and was originally released on the 3x3 EP in 1982 together with Paperlate (also featured in this box set) and Me and Virgil (not featured here). Both Paperlate and You Might Recall are dispensable and the former is incredibly trite!

Evidence Of Autumn is a good song that was the b-side to Misunderstanding single from the Duke album. The song is very much in the style of Duke. Prog it is not, though. Do The Neurotic is an instrumental that originally appeared as the b-side to the Land Of Confusion single from the Invisible Touch album and it is in the style of The Brazilian from that album. This one is at least semi-progressive and quite decent with nice guitar and keyboard work. I'd Rather Be You quickly brings us down to earth, this is possibly the worst of the songs here even though the competition for that position is fierce! This song first appeared as the b-side to In Too Deep also from Invisible Touch, though it sounds more like an outtake from Abacab. Naminau is from the Abacab days, and it is another stinker; extremely repetitive and very annoying.

Inside And Out was one of the three tracks from the Spot The Pigeon EP from 1978 and is thus the first track here that goes back to the Steve Hackett-era and as such it is the first track here that might interest the Prog purist. It is a nice song, but very far behind the Trick Of The Tail and Wind And Wuthering material. The other song from Spot The Pigeon that appears here is Pigeons, but strangely that one is relegated to the third disc. The third track from that EP, Match Of The Day, is not featured at all. Feeding The Fire once again brings us back to the commercial period of Invisible Touch, this one was also a b-side to Land Of Confusion. The first disc is rounded out by an unnecessary 12" version of I Can't Dance and the floating instrumental Submarine, which was the b-side to Man On The Corner from the Abacab album.

The second disc consists entirely of live recordings of familiar songs from various sources. As such there is not much interest in it, with several other live albums out there. It sounds rather incoherent given that it is not a single concert, but songs recorded over a period spanning from the late 70's to the early 90's. Some nice moments, but hardly essential given what is available elsewhere.

The third disc contains further unnecessary 12" mixes of familiar songs and a few further live recordings. With the exception of Mama (Work In Progress), the rest of disc three holds further non-album studio recordings. This is very welcome with some of the most interesting selection of the box coming at the end. Open Door was the b-side to Duchess in 1980 and is unsurprisingly rooted in the sound of Duke. The Day The Light Went Out and Vancouver were both b-sides to the Many Too Many single from 1978 and is as such similar in sound to the And Then There Were Three album. However, they are far behind the album tracks in quality. Still nice, though. Then there is the aforementioned Pigeons and a track called It's Yourself that apparently is a Trick Of The Tale outtake. This one was originally intended to come just before Los Endos and you can clearly recognize the parts towards the end that were used in Los Endos. This is an interesting outtake, but it is wholly understandable that it was left off the brilliant Trick Of The Tale album (my personal favourite Genesis album!).

While this archive release might be a goldmine for hard core fans, it is really only of major interest to just such fans. For me this is a great way to get hold of the band's non-album b-sides that otherwise would require me to search out and buy many individual singles. Nothing here is essential, but surely a nice addition for fans and collectors.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#258851) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 01, 2010

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
2 stars This one's a very mixed bag indeed. Covering the Phil Collins- era of the band on three CD's and collecting only tracks not included on the albums, it consists of three kinds of tracks: 1) live recordings not included on Seconds Out, Three Sides Live or The Way We Walk, 2) studio outtakes from album sessions (some have appeared as B-sides or otherwise, which sadly isn't indicated in the info), 3) maxi-single versions of hits such as 'Land of Confusion' or 'I Can't Dance'. Fortunately the latter department is not big. But with these principles it's clear that this set is designed for fans of the Collins-era Genesis.

The essays are very informative about the band history during the time, with several well- known prog musicians passing by. It just annoyed me how they seem to take commercial success as proof of artistic success as well. For example: Invisible Touch is great because it had so many hits. Ouch! Another annoying thing is the total lack of logic in the running order, except that the second disc is completely live recordings. It would have been nicer to have a chronological order, for the studio material at least.

I have never been a fan for live recordings. If I have the song as the studio version, I usually don't much care about getting a live version of it. In the case of Genesis that's exactly so (but of course Seconds out is interesting for including Gabriel-era music with new lead vocalist! In this box however there are no tracks pre-dating Gabriel's departure). That's not to say these live selections wouldn't be OK, and naturally in many cases they make better listening than B- sid or left-out tracks. No surprise that I enjoyed 'Entangled' and 'Ripples' the most in the live department. Sadly the Hackett-era (76-77) offered quite a little to be collected here, studio or live.

My curiosity was mainly on the tracks I hadn't heard before. Perhaps surprisingly the most interesting ones are fusion-like instrumentals dating around Abacab (1981). 70's tracks originally appeared on Spot The Pigeon EP were not all as good as I hoped. All in all, this is a clear case of "Collectors/fans only". To those preferring Collins-era to Gabriel-era.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#297244) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 03, 2010

Review by Guillermo
4 stars This 3 CD Boxed Set is good, but, with Genesis increasingly becoming a more Pop Rock influenced band since 1978, the contrasts between the tracks are more clear. So, I divide the tracks in three groups:

The Live Tracks. For me, the most interesting thing in this release, with the tracks recorded between1976 and 1980 being the most interesting. It is good to have very good live versions with good mixings of "Entangled", "Deep in the Motherlode", Ripples", "Burning Rope", "Duke`s Travels" and "The Lady Lies". The live tracks from 1981 are still good, despite being Pop influenced songs ("Not Reply at All" and "Man on the Corner"). But from the 1984 live tracks, only "It`s Gonna Get Better" is good, with "Illegal Alien" being a disposable track as I consider it as the worst song they composed. The live tracks recorded during the "Invisible Touch" tour, "The Brazilian" and "Your Own Special Way", are not very interesting, despite the latter has a string arrangement. Why they didn`t release a live version from 1977 instead? From the "We Can`t Dance" tour, there is "Dreaming While You Sleep", which I think that it is the same version which was released in the "Never a Time " CD single in 1993, and it is a good version.

The B-sides and tracks taken from E.Ps. Again, the most interesting for me are the songs recorded between 1976 and 1980 , but again, the tracks recorded in 1981 are still good. Among the best are: "It`s Yourself" (1976), "Pigeons" and "Inside and Out" (from the "Spot the Pigeon" E.P., 1977),"The Day the Light Went Out" and "Vancouver" (1978), "Open Door" and "Evidence of Autumn" (1980). The tracks recorded during the "Abacab" album sesions (1981) are still good ("You Might Recall",and "Paperlate", both from the "3 x 3" E.P., and "Submarine" and "Naminanu"). I still think that "Match of the day" (from the "Spot the Pigeon" E.P.,1977) and "Me and Virgil" (from the "3 x 3" E.P., 1981) could have been better choices to be included in this Box Set (but were not included as the band members didn`t like them anymore then) than the inclusion of the tracks recorded during the "Invisible Touch" ("Do the Neurotic", I`d Rather Be you", "Feeding the Fire") and "We Can`t Dance" album sessions ("On the Shoreline", "Hearts of Fire"), all of them very Pop tracks which show why they were released as B-sides of singles.

The less interesting tracks in this Box Set are "Mama (Work in Progress)" and the inclusion of the 12" remixes of "Invisible Touch", "Land of Confusion", "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" and "I Can`t Dance", which could be only interesting for the most "obsessive fans" of their Pop years. I think that instead of including all these tracks it could have been better to include more live tracks, like the 1976 tour version of "Dance on a Volcano" with Bill Bruford, more live tracks from their 1977 ,1978 and 1980 tours, like "Eleventh Earl of Mar", "One for the Vine", "Your Own Special Way", "All in a Mouse`s Night", "In that Quiet Earth/ Afterglow", "Inside and Out" , "Say it`s Alright, Joe", etc.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#303534) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Review by lazland
4 stars The second of three official boxsets issued by the band, this one covers the Phil Collins era from Trick Of A Tail onwards, and, as such, invites tons of hostility and inevitable comments as to the fact that "they're not prog any more".

Well, nonsense. This boxset is too large for a detailed review of each and every track, but there are some progressive rock gems hidden in here, and, yes, some damn good commercial rock as well.

As with the first boxset, it is the live releases which attract the most interest, and, in the main, the most enjoyment. With the exceptions of No Reply At All, one of their most forgettable compositions, and Illegal Alien, their worst composition ever, there is not a bum track included. When, for instance, you listen to this version of Dreaming While You Sleep, you come to the realisation that here, in the 1990's, was still a huge symphonic prog force. It's Gonna Get Better sounds fantastic live, and the classics just roll off the tongue. Tracks such as Ripples, The Brazilian, The Lady Lies, and the symphonic tour de force that was Duke's Travels all make you sit up and notice as to how wide ranging and important this band were.

The 12 inch versions of the more pop directed tracks all add quite a lot to what were, to these ears, enjoyable tracks anyway. Dare I say it, they add a progressive element to all?

Lastly, there are also some previously discarded or obscure gems included on this, as with Archives One, except I think these are far better, although, of course, this is also due to the infinitely superior production utilised as compared to the schoolboy era. Particular highlights are Its Yourself, Vancouver, and Evidence Of Autumn.

This is not a boxset that should be purchased solely by completionists. It is something I think all Genesis fans will take huge pleasure in listening to, although the price of it might put a number off.

Four stars for this, from an unashamed Collins era fan.

Send comments to lazland (BETA) | Report this review (#351582) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 13, 2010

3 stars Genesis Archive #2 is a very good box set. The sound is very good and most of the tracks are well chosen. There are, however, some inconsistancies. Match of the Day from the Spot the Pigeon EP is missing as well as many of the live cuts from the 1980s that were on 12" singles and flip sides o ... (read more)

Report this review (#904108) | Posted by wehpanzer | Friday, February 01, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars If one can enjoy latter-day Genesis, then this is a collection worth having. The 12" versions are superb, really superior to the regular versions, harder and longer, slightly more progressive. They are less polished however (obviously), cluttered and if you don't like the originals at all, you wil ... (read more)

Report this review (#127434) | Posted by mcgoverntj | Tuesday, July 03, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This is not the 80's Genesis, but it's also not prog.... There are crappy 12" mixes which sound horrible and also progressive tracks (most notable the live versions of "Ripples", "Entangled", "Burning Rope" and "Duke's Travels / End"). But it's NOT a bad album!!! Listen to the B-side tracks (fr ... (read more)

Report this review (#35247) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Oh, c'mon guys, it isn't that bad.... In fact its very good. The tracks fall into a couple categories: 13 Live tracks, 16 studio outtakes, 4 dance mixes and 1 work in progress recording of the band jamming. The first two categories make up the vast majority and its the reason you are even bot ... (read more)

Report this review (#10798) | Posted by beterdedthnred4 | Saturday, March 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars This for me is nowhere near as essential as the first archive box set. This is the commercial money-making machine version of genesis. If you like the pop side of the band then you will probably love this this. It does contain some interesting tacks, a few b-sides are good and i must admit i q ... (read more)

Report this review (#10797) | Posted by Prog_head | Wednesday, March 09, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I found myself probing this poor collection to find the good stuff... the biggest problem with this collection is the span of time is too great. 1976-1980 might work much better. Pack it with lots of "Trick" and "Wind" live bits and pieces and even studio demos... why on earth are we interes ... (read more)

Report this review (#10793) | Posted by | Wednesday, August 25, 2004 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I remember waiting for this compilation to be released. Being a completist, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it for little gems like "It's Yourself", "The Day the Lights Went Out", and "Vancouver". I figured it would be nice to have ALL of Genesis' later B-sides in one nice little packag ... (read more)

Report this review (#10792) | Posted by | Tuesday, July 20, 2004 | Review Permanlink

2 stars This triple-disc dip into Genesis' vaults covers a much more commercially successful span than the first "Archive" box did, but that doesn't mean it's right for casual fans. Yes, there are some hits on this collection of non-album tracks, like the studio "Paperlate," a live "Illegal Alien" (wh ... (read more)

Report this review (#10790) | Posted by | Tuesday, July 06, 2004 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Some of the live takes are very good here, notably Ripples, Deep in the Motherlode and Burning Rope. I was glad to get a decent version of some 7 inch single cuts, like Inside and Out (great Hackett track), Evidence of Autumn and Vancouver, all from the mid to late 70's heyday. Also, there are some ... (read more)

Report this review (#10784) | Posted by | Friday, March 26, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of GENESIS "Archive 2 1976 - 1992"