BRIEF ENCOUNTER

Marillion Brief Encounter album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy MARILLION Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 1986

1. Lady Nina (extended version) (5:47)
2. Freaks (single version) (4:09)
3. Kayleigh (live version) (4:11)
4. Fugazi (live version) (8:32)
5. Script for a Jester's tears (live version) (8:52)

Search MARILLION Brief Encounter lyrics

Search MARILLION Brief Encounter tabs

- Fish / vocals
- Mark Kelly / keyboards
- Ian Mosley / drums
- Steve Rothery / guitars
- Pete Trewavas / basses

Capitol #MLP - 15023

MARILLION MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MARILLION Brief Encounter Music

Audio Cassette$19.95
Reel to Real / Brief EncounterReel to Real / Brief Encounter
Remastered
Sanctuary Records 2002
MARILLION Brief Encounter Original 1986 Numbered US Promo press STILL SEALED LP USD $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION-REAL TO REEL + BRIEF ENCOUNTER-2 CD SET-ALL TRACKS ARE LIVE-EU-1997 USD $12.22 Buy It Now 2 days
MARILLION Brief Encounter LP 5 Track Live Mini Album Has Sticker On Front US Em USD $11.46 Buy It Now 2 days
MARILLION (FISH) - "Brief Encounter" Mini LP 1986 1st US PROMO - ORIG Capitol USD $23.88 Buy It Now 5 days
Real To Reel/Brief Encounter - Marillion (1997, CD New) USD $13.90 Buy It Now 6 days
Marillion - Real To Reel/Brief Encounter [CD New] USD $12.02 Buy It Now 6 days
Real to Reel / Brief Encounter (Bonus CD) Marillion CD USD $16.43 Buy It Now 6 days
MARILLION - REAL TO REEL/BRIEF ENCOUNTER - NEW CD BOXSET USD $9.01 Buy It Now 6 days
Marillion - Real To Reel/brief Encounter NEW CD USD $10.34 Buy It Now 7 days
Marillion Lp Brief Encounter mini album 5 songs 1986 Capitol records USD $12.95 Buy It Now 8 days
MARILLION "Brief Encounter" Capitol/EMI MPL-15023, 1986 mini lp/5 songs SEALED USD $10.95 Buy It Now 9 days
Marillion Brief Encounter vinyl LP album record USA MLP-15023 CAPITOL 1986 USD $21.80 Buy It Now 9 days
MARILLION - REAL TO REEL / BRIEF ENCOUNTER NEW CD USD $30.85 Buy It Now 9 days
MINT MARILLION BRIEF ENCOUNTER LIVE SET VINYL LP FISH/ROTHERY/KELLY/TREWAVAS etc USD $12.95 Buy It Now 11 days
MARILLION Real To Reel 1984 + Brief Encounter 1986 releases as 1997 UK 2 CD Set USD $16.99 Buy It Now 12 days
MARILLION brief encounter. usa 1st issue Capitol. nr mint vinyl!! shrink! USD $9.37 Buy It Now 15 days
MARILLION - REAL TO REEL / BRIEF ENCOUNTER - CDEM1603 USD $12.60 Buy It Now 17 days
MARILLION Brief Encounter 1986 USA 5-track vinyl mini LP,EXCELLENT CONDITION USD $23.44 Buy It Now 18 days
Marillion - Real To Reel/brief Encounter NEW CD USD $10.30 Buy It Now 18 days
PROG ROCK/ Marillion - Brief Encounter (LP) USD $9.99 Buy It Now 18 days
MARILLION - Brief Encounter (EP, 1986) Near Mint- USD $8.50 Buy It Now 19 days
Marillion: Brief encounter ~ cassette tape ~ 1a USD $5.00 Buy It Now 19 days
MARILLION - Brief Encounter ~ VINYL MINI LP US PRESS USD $17.18 Buy It Now 19 days
Marillion - Brief Encounter USA mini vinyl LP USD $12.51 Buy It Now 19 days
MARILLION BRIEF ENCOUNTER MINI LP/5 SONGS MLP-15023HAIR METAL USD $8.23 Buy It Now 20 days
MARILLION (Brief Encounter Mini-Lp) RECORDS ALBUMS/LP's ROCK USD $15.00 Buy It Now 21 days
Reel To Real & Brief Encounter - Marillion New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shippi USD $33.49 Buy It Now 26 days
Marillion-Real to Reel/Brief Encounter CD NEW USD $29.43 Buy It Now 26 days
MARILLION BRIEF ENCOUNTER RARE USA 5TRACK MINI LP*STUNNING NEAR MINT COLLECTABLE USD $17.12 Buy It Now 27 days
"BRIEF ENCOUNTER"....MARILLION...EP......NEAR MINT.....FAST SHIPPING USD $9.77 Buy It Now 29 days
[LP] Marillion,Brief Encounter (Capitol) {NM} USA USD $16.49 Buy It Now 29 days
[LP] Marillion,Brief Encounter (Capitol) USA USD $10.73 Buy It Now 29 days
[LP] Marillion,Brief Encounter (Capitol) {NM} USA 1986 USD $19.37 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy MARILLION music online Buy MARILLION & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MARILLION DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MARILLION Brief Encounter ratings distribution

MARILLION Brief Encounter reviews

Review by greenback
4 stars With 3 live tracks out of 5, this record is mainly for people who want to know how Marillion sounds live. Despite the sound of those 3 tracks is not crystal clear, like on the studio albums, Fish's theatrical lead vocals are very palpable, especially on "Fugazi" and "Script from a jester's tear". The last live track, "Kayleigh", has a pleasant live atmosphere, as reveals the responding crowd shouting "Kayleigh". The strongest track is definitely "Lady Nina", a pompous accessible track, having an almost perfect, very sustained and loud guitar solo. "Freaks" can also be heard on the "B-sides themselves" album. The album is very short, lasting around 30 minutes.

Rating: 4.5 stars

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#12146) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 11, 2004

Review by Gatot
3 stars I remember vividly on the situation when I was waiting for the next release of Marillion's album after their seminal work "Misplaced Childhood" released in 1985. I was so afraid that the band would defunct because I had enjoyed their three albums plus one ep "Market Square Heroes". At the time, there was no internet connection or any other news with respect to new release. So I was just guessing what would happen next. It came out with "Brief Encounter" LP where it featured the band's two studio stracks "Lady Nina" and "Freaks" (that later became the name of Marillion fans club in addition to The Web). The rest of the tracks were live performance - each representing previous three albums: "Script For A Jester's Tear" - from the band's debut album with the same title, "Fugazi" - from second album with the same title and Kayleigh - the band's hit from "Misplaced Childhood" album (the third).

"Lady Nina" is an upbeat tempo music with pop / disco touch and keyboard-based rhythm section. It's probably quite accessible to introduce someone to the music of Marillion through this tune. "Freaks" is a nice rocking track with a good credo and Fish pondering vocals. "Kayleigh" played live was never heard before and it was truly a good treat as at the time I knew that this was the band's hit. "Fugazi" was performed similar with the version in "Real To Reel" album. "Script For A Jester's Tear" had never been played before and of course I did enjoy this version.

Overall, it's a good prog collection. Lately, the label has released the CD package that contains two LPs: "Real To Reel" and "Brief Encounter". I recommend you to purchase this two CD package than separate LP. Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars. Keep on proggin' .!! Progressively yours, GW.

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#12147) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 17, 2005

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
2 stars My first Marillion review (and maybe last, due to my personal reviewing principles). What is Brief Encounter about? The simple answer: "Let's keep the fans satisfied - or more frankly, some money coming - since we're gonna have 2 years break with studio albums." Yeah, I was there, a fan waiting for new material, but I'm happy to recall it was my friend who bought this fan-thing of two b-side songs and three live tracks in half an hour's length. My friend played me 'Lady Nina' on the phone, ha. Those childish teenage days... Anyway our anxiety was well rewarded with Clutching at Straws next year. Also I got B'Sides Themselves in '88, but that compilation makes sense, especially for Grendel, if you don't buy singles.

I give extremely little value to things like this, and the same goes with maxi-singles and extended versions in general. It's so transparently commercial from a band (or record company) and in time they don't have hardly any value, in a practical sense I mean. How many live versions of individual songs anyone needs? I myself often don't care much for even one if the original pleases me.

I dedicate this review friendly to Gatot. A toast to the nostalgia of fandom days!

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#49509) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 30, 2005

Review by sleeper
2 stars In 1986, on the back of the hugely successful album Misplaced Childhood, Marillion began a tour as the special guests of Rush and the Brief Encounter mini-album was released to commemorate the tour, primarily as a thank you to the bands then existing fans and as a helping hand in initiation for the new fans.

The first two songs on this disc are the studio recordings of Lady Nina and Freaks. To me these two songs are very much a mixed bag in that Lady Nina is a love song in the vein of Cinderella Search, Lavender and Kayleigh. To be honest there's nothing that stands out on this song as the music is pretty ordinary for Marillion and the lyrics are rather simple, more so than any Fish era song that I know of. Freaks, on the other hand, is a much better song, one of the best of Marillions short songs. Lyrically speaking, this song could very well act as progs very own theme tune and musically it isn't bad, though they have done much better.

The remaining three tracks on this album are all live performances, first off the immensely popular Kayleigh and the title tracks from the first two albums, Script for a Jester's Tear and Fugazi. The band give really good performances of the two title tracks, to the extent that I prefer them to the studio recordings, particularly Fugazi. As for Kayleigh, though its performed very well, it's a bit out of context without the rest of the concept album being played as Pseudo Silk Kimono is supposed to segue into this one and Kayleigh is supposed to segue into Lavender, which you can hear they clearly did in the concert.

It's a rather short disc at only just over 30 minutes and the only reason to buy this album on its own is to hear the live performances of Script. and Fugazi. However, there isn't actually any really bad songs here, even if Lady Nina is below par. I'll give this 2.5 stars, rounded down to 2, as its got some very decent music on it but only really for those that are interested in hearing more of Marillion after they get everything else.

Send comments to sleeper (BETA) | Report this review (#99547) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 19, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This effort only holds three live pieces, which makes this EP a brief encounter indeed.

"Lady Nina" and "Freaks" were recorded during the "Misplaced" recordings at Hansa studio in Berlin. Both numbers will appear on the double CD and remastered version of "Misplaced". But this version of "Lady Nina" is different (extended). As such, it will be featured on the excellent "Singles Boxset 82-88". Those two songs, although not essentials of the Marillion catalogue are good ones (but again, there will be very few poor songs during the Fish era).

There will be one track of each Marillion album so far. Their hit-single "Kayleigh" from "Misplaced" (to boost sales, I guess), but more important the title tracks "Fugazzi" and "Script" which were the best songs on these respective albums (at least, they were my fave ones).

Those three songs were recorded at The Hammersmith Odeon in London (Marillion was almost at home there) on January 9th and 10th, 1986.

This EP is the perfect companion to "Real To Reel", released in 1985. Both were regrouped on a double CD in 1997 and I bought them under this packaging.

As the liner notes will tell us, this EP was released before their first major US tour during which they will be support act for Rush. It says : "this mini-album is being released primarily as a thank-you to (European) existing fans, but also as an introduction to the (US) uninitiated. The words under brackets are editions of mine.

As such, I would rate this EP with three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#120871) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 06, 2007

Review by obiter
1 stars I was an acid fan at the time this was released. I was thoroughly disappointed with this mini album. Without Freaks it would have to relegated to the waste disposal unit.

I never liked Misplaced Childhood and found the pop hit Kayleigh really irritating. Fugazi and Script are great MArillion songs but I din't see how this album added anything to what we already had.

If you're a Marillion fan then complete your collection. If you're not then definitely skip this one.

Send comments to obiter (BETA) | Report this review (#135114) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 27, 2007

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
2 stars One can hardly blame Marillion for any lack of live material! The band did an excellent job of keeping documentation of their live performances all throughout their career that would be much too excessive for any new fans to get their heads around.

Brief Encounter gave the fan base something to hold them over throughout the band's first so-called gap year in terms of studio albums while they waited for what would become the last Marillion album before Fish departure from the band. Although now that we have Recital Of The Script , The Thieving Magpie - La Gazza Ladra and Curtain Call - A Live Archive 1983-1988, to name a few, this tiny document has become much too obsolete there isn't really much this recording brings to the table in terms of originality or historic value. It might still appeal to collectors since Brief Encounter almost can be considered an early take on the fan club system that the band have been known for in their later years.

There has been some controversy surrounding the origin of the live tracks. Although the liner notes state that they were recorded at Hammersmith Odeon on January 9&10, 1986, this information may be inaccurate, considering that Fish clearly says "Leicester, Goodnight" at the end of Fugazi. Wikipedia suggests that both Fugazi and Script For A Jester's Tear were actually recorded at Leicester De Montfort Hall on 5 March 1984.

Either way there isn't much that this recording has to offer to anyone only interested in hearing the most essential Marillion work. Therefore a fans/collectors only release.

**** star songs: Freaks (4:09) Kayleigh (4:11) Script For A Jester's Tears (8:52)

*** star songs: Fugazi (8:32)

** star songs: Lady Nina (5:47)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#276604) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Review by octopus-4
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
1 stars When I saw this vinyl in a shop it was a period in which I was used to buy everything of Marillion. A rapid glance to the track list told me that it contained two songs still unknown to me: Freaks and Lady Nina.

A live version of Script for a Jester's Tear was promising even if I already had one on a very badly recorded bootleg, so even if I had no interest on live versions of Fugazi (already on Real To Reel) and Kayleigh(already on The Thieving Magpie), I bought it.

Thanks God, it was cheap.

The version of Fugazi and Kayleigh don't add anything to those I already had, Script is not bad but it would have been better if the two unknown songs remained unknown.

This short compilation is just an attempt made by EMI to dig into the material they had in order to make some cash after the huge success of Misplaced Childhood.

I was a fan, and even as a fan I didn't like it, and I still don't. As completionist as I actually was, it was a must because of the two previously unreleased.

This fits quite well into the 1-star description. I'm sorry for Fugazi and Script, but a fan can give up to their live versions.

Only for completionists.

Send comments to octopus-4 (BETA) | Report this review (#451771) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 25, 2011

2 stars Is this a single? Is this a live album or what? As of recent, Marillion albums have been popping up in my used record store for cheap, and I decided to buy this because Marillion albums pop up today once in a lifetime. The two songs on here are okay, but Marillion could definitely do better if th ... (read more)

Report this review (#701435) | Posted by iamathousandapples | Friday, March 30, 2012 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The only reason to buy this LP years ago was to have Lady Nina in a full version, I didn`t like Freaks that time and I don`t like it, today. Nut Nina was worth buing this LP. Today BE is included on a double pack with RTR. The live songs on BE don`t reach the sound quality on RTR, but they wer ... (read more)

Report this review (#12145) | Posted by Abominog | Wednesday, January 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MARILLION "Brief Encounter"