Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 20:20
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I would be remiss if I didn't at least suggest the following two:

Between Sunlight and Shadow
Singularity

Of All The Mysteries
Singularity

Probably not well know enough, but I had to try!  Smile

Great list, anyway!  I have to wonder if it's absolutely necessary to include so many albums by the same band.  I would take IQ as an example.  As much as I am a fan, I would probably include only Ever and Frequency, and maybe Tales.

Okay I missed that artist - this kind of exercise is harder than it looks but I will try and add one of those albums now. They do deserve to be on the list.Clap

All the IQ ones were due to popularity and just happened to be on the list, same as Porcupine Tree and Genesis - they are always on the top of the albums lists. I might replace one of the IQ albums though to get into the list.

working on itApprove 

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 20:29
Well I would consider it a work in progress for not so much you to continue to update it.....but a member can then amend it as he sees fit and add his/her own entries and create their own 'bucket-prog-list'.

Amending everytime a member gets their feelings hurt will be a lifelong process for you. Like you said this is a great start for anyone to amend it and make it their own.

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 20:41
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Well I would consider it a work in progress for not so much you to continue to update it.....but a member can then amend it as he sees fit and add his/her own entries and create their own 'bucket-prog-list'.

Amending everytime a member gets their feelings hurt will be a lifelong process for you. Like you said this is a great start for anyone to amend it and make it their own.

Yeah I hear you there Jose

I was okay to add those others though as Singularity for instance was on the list and then was removed to add an album - but I noticed it was  a better received album and deserved to be there. But No, I cant add every suggestion unless its reasonable that is.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 21:00
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I love that you made this list, and I think you did a great job. I can agree with others who say most of the live albums can be omitted, and maybe add a couple that you missed (mostly in the late 90s/2000s).

Maybe have 1-2 live albums for each decade. Or maybe have the 1001 albums list, then a separate list with 101 live albums. Yes, a hundred and one.

Nice idea - I have 74 albums on the list and thought that was enough to add. The late 90s was a prolific time of prog and thats where I had the most trouble and indeed during the 00's but I am very happy with the extensive 70s prog album list as i was think it was the most important time for prog so deserved around 500 albums on the list.

I was almost going to omit all live albums - however I saw the other book "1001 Albums you must hear..." that's available and those editors added live albums in the mix so I am following in their steps so to speak. 

There are not many live albums added though in any case and tey are all 4 or 5 star albums as far as this site is concerned.

Just for my list i compiled a list of live albums to include and all made it to the list:

Live albums in the 1001 prog album list:

67 - live

Five Bridges Suite

150  - live

Emerson Lake & Palmer

194 - live

Yessongs 
Yes

195 - live

Space Ritual 
Hawkwind

196 – live

Genesis Live
Genesis

197 – live

Uriah Heep - Live
Uriah Heep

198 – live

Between Nothingness & Eternity 
Mahavishnu Orchestra

243 - live

Roxy & Elsewhere
Frank Zappa

244 - live

Barclay James Harvest Live
Barclay James Harvest

245 - live

Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends
Emerson Lake & Palmer

246 - live

Caravan & The New Symphonia 
Caravan

307 - live

Live/Hhaï (Köhntark)
Magma

308 – live

Ricochet
Tangerine Dream

309 – live

USA
King Crimson

355 - live

Live At Carnegie Hall
Renaissance

356 - live

Jane At Home Live
Jane

357 - live

All The World's A Stage
Rush

435 - live

Solar Music - Live
Grobschnitt

436 – live

A Live Record
Camel

437 – live

Two For The Show 
Kansas

438 – live

Zappa In New York
Frank Zappa

439 – live

Live - Bursting Out
Jethro Tull

440 – live

Vital
Van Der Graaf Generator

470 – live

Élö Omega Kisstadion '79
Omega

482 - live

Harmonium En Tournée
Harmonium

483 - live

Live Seventy Nine
Hawkwind

484 - live

Yesshows
Yes

514 – live

Plays Live
Peter Gabriel

515 – live

Logos... Live At The Dominion - London
Tangerine Dream

523 – live

Real to Reel
Marillion

538 - live

Pergamon - Live at the 'Palast der Republik' GDR
Tangerine Dream

539 – live

Does Humor Belong In Music?
Frank Zappa

540 – live

Live Chronicles
Hawkwind

552 – live

You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 2
Frank Zappa

553 - live

The Thieving Magpie - La Gazza Ladra
Marillion

577 - live

Live au Bataclan 1973
Gong

597 – live

The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life
Frank Zappa

616 – live

The Great Deceiver: Live 1973 - 1974
King Crimson

633 – live

Never Let Go
Camel

652- live

Maida Vale (The BBC Radio One Sessions)
Van Der Graaf Generator

676- live

P-U-L-S-E 
Pink Floyd

696 – live

Keys to Ascension 
Yes

697 – live

Buried Alive
Anglagard

715 - live

Coma Divine Live
Porcupine Tree

716 - live

Keys to Ascension 2 
Yes

735 – live

Different Stages - Live
Rush

736 – live

Absent Lovers - Live in Montreal, 1984 
King Crimson

760 – live

Typical (Solo Performances)
Peter Hammill

775 - live

Live Archives 70,80,90s
Steve Hackett

776 - live

Is There Anybody Out There? 
Pink Floyd

792 - live

Live Scenes From New York
Dream Theater

793 - live

Operation: Livecrime
Queensrÿche

794 - live

VROOOM VROOOM
King Crimson

813 - live

Live at the Pongmasters Ball
Ozric Tentacles

814 - live

Live At Fairfield Halls - 1974
Caravan

829 - live

Live in Europe
Transatlantic

830 - live

Live On Earth (CD/DVD)
Star One

831 - live

The Blinding Darkness
Pallas

832 - live

Rush - In Rio
Rush

849 - live

12:5
Pain Of Salvation

850 - live

Live & Life 
Arena

851 - live

Live at Budokan
Dream Theater

869 - live

Waking The Dead - Live In Japan 2005 
Anekdoten

870 - live

Marbles Live
Marillion

871 - live

Rockpalast
Porcupine Tree

883 - live

Score: 20th Anniversary World Tour Live with the Octavarium Orchestra
Dream Theater

884 - live

The Collectable King Crimson - Vol. 1. Live in Mainz, 1974 - Live in Asbury Park, 1974
King Crimson

901 - live

Real Time
Van Der Graaf Generator

919 - live

Live In Pennsylvania (2CD + DVD)
Le Orme

920 - live

Live
Spock's Beard

945 - live

So many Roads
Neal Morse

946 - live

Symphonic Live
Yes

970 - live

Whirld Tour 2010 - Live From Shepherd's Bush Empire, London
Transatlantic

971 - live

Rails Live
Steve Hackett

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - January 02 2012 at 21:06
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 21:25
Personal Reflections on 1000 Prog Albums Over 46 Years:
1966-2011:

Frank Zappa Freak Out! album cover

A review by AtomicCrimsonRush:

One of the weirdest and delightfully psychedelic experiences put to vinyl. Zappa was out of his tree here and the music is totally off kilter even inaccessible. The mind job on offer is akin to an LSD experience and obviously catered to that hippy crowd. ‘Who are the Brain Police?’ is quite disturbing with out of tune monotone singing and very ethereal effects. The music is dominated by 60s organ and spacey guitars. The album is oppressive in places and even spouts political messages. Pink Floyd may have heard this and Syd Barrett may indeed have utilised ideas as it is a precursor to the psych space prog that ensued. Zappa and the Mothers were pioneers of zany humour in music and that is part of their repertoire. Some songs are full of whooping and hollering and occasionally people are heard jibbering nonsense. It’s a masterpiece of high strangeness and deserves to be heard at least once. Nevertheless there is nothing like it and we can all be grateful for that! 

A review by Finnforest:

1966's declaration of independence

"I think your life is incomplete"

I have a real thing for debut albums from this period. While many people describe Freak Out, Piper at the Gates, and Velvet Underground in terms of being "promising" and building for better things later, these early works are as exciting as later classics but in their own way. It's hard to imagine what people thought upon hearing something like "Freak Out" in 1966 and I try to put myself in that time frame when listening to early albums. While some continue to insist that Crimson created prog in 1969 it's my opinion that these earlier works are the true conception even if some want to write them off as "just psychedelia" or whatever. Many styles and influences are fused here in a work which screams at the public that it wishes to offend, it wishes to foul the water, to avenge Frank's incarceration, and to wear the badge of "outsider" with pride. But not just a rebel without a clue, Frank had it in for many of those who thought he was one of them, creatively and socially. He demanded authenticity and quality, he lectured his fans to forget about the Prom and go to the library, and he scolded them for their drug use, which didn't exactly endear him to his peers.

It is impossible to avoid discussing the political and social aspects of what the album's lyrics throw in one's face, so skip this paragraph if not interested in my personal opinion. No one's personal comfort zone and no institution's presumed honor would be spared over Frank's career. Years later Zappa would describe himself as "a conservative" (though certainly not in Republican terms, whom he hated, but by his own definition) and later still in one of his last interviews as "unrepentant" in his views. He was a true independent, whose blast against the establishment would not stop with the fashionable railing against government entities or right-wing easy targets, but extend to the counterculture scene and the Lefties whose dough-eyed vision of reality he would skewer on "We're only in it for the Money." Zappa's work would help progress the good things about the counterculture which turned out to be primarily artistic, while wisely remaining suspicious of much of the other nonsense the youth movement touted, some of which was destructive and hollow. In my opinion, Zappa, were he alive today, would rail as much against liberal groupthink and shallow political correctness as he did against right-wing censorship and Reaganism in the 80s or cultural stagnation in the 60s. Frank could really be lassoed by no one: he could be sexist, misanthropic, selfish, and even hypocritical on certain things (his daughter Moon has confirmed he was a less than stellar father even as he lectured other parents on their child-rearing.) He believed in being in control of one's life and practiced DIY musically and otherwise. (The book quoted below is a great source for insight into this complicated fellow and his beliefs.)

"Freak Out!" is an absolutely essential marker in rock history, it is Sha-Na-Na from hell, it is a Cheech and Chong styled Broadway musical with intellectual, razor sharp wit in place of adolescent drug humor. It is a warning shot from a dark stranger who grabbed the mic on talent night and gave the suburban audience some Lenny Bruce level stand-up which sent them home shaking their heads. People who complain about it being "just basic rock and roll" or "too 1950s" completely miss the point. It is about the contrast of the seemingly traditional with pure rebellion, about turning the realities of the moment on their head. Sure the pure musical adventure of later albums would be stimulating in their own way, but taking the seemingly safe and Motherizing it is no less fantastic, and the fact that many of the ditties are pleasing to sing along with can be an asset. The Mothers were perhaps no less than the west coast version of the Velvet Underground, though ironically Zappa and Lou Reed despised each other and openly dissed each other.

Certainly the music may seem rather basic period rock to today's prog fan, but after just a few spins these songs get under your skin as you realize how good they are. Basic blues-rock, DooWop, soulful romantic ballad, creeping psych and avant weirdness make up the template upon which Zappa's monologue is delivered. It works so unbelievably well, sounding completely flowing and cohesive. It entertains with humor even as it disturbs by tearing down the safe and getting weirder as the album staggers towards its end. The sexual innuendo and outright contempt for traditional sensibilities cannot be missed. The final four tracks are amazing, from Dylanesque rapping commentary in "Trouble Every Day" to the mind warping, songs-dissolving "Help, I'm a Rock" and "Monster Magnet." Sandwiched in there is my favorite little Freak Out song "It Can't Happen Here" which warns us stoic Midwesterners that the freaks were coming for us.

"Frank was delighted with the album. He showed up at his family's house...waving a copy of the album, a huge smile on his face. The music startled them, but Frank kept nodding encouragingly and no one expressed any misgivings. The whole family, even Francis, went to see the Mothers play... Freak Out was the first double-rock album, the first rock "concept" album and musically it was about as cutting-edge as a rock album could be without being classified as avant-garde jazz or modern classical. Over the years it has consistently been voted as one of the top 100 greatest albums ever made and even today it has not aged, even if the recording quality now seems a bit raw." --Barry Miles, "Zappa, A Biography"

"Freak Out!" is an authentic slice of history, a masterpiece of the sunrise of progressive music, and an essential title for a well rounded rock collection. Other Mothers albums would get technically better and Frank would expand his horizons greatly after the 1960s, but in my view the original burst of creativity on debuts like this hold charms as magical as later "definitive artist works." I've always felt there is something special about the albums that cooked up something fantastic with the most basic kitchen ingredients of the middle 60s. "Freak Out!" is as gritty and dangerous below the surface as "Exile on Main Street", but Frank delivered it nearly a decade sooner than the Stones.

A review by Warthur:

What an album! For the first two-and-a-bit sides “Freak Out!” treats the listener to some of the most diverse, witty, and bitingly cynical rock music of its era, the sort of thing that might result from a psychedelic band made up of escaped mental patients playing to lyrics written by Bob Dylan on a really bad day - check out ‘Trouble Every Day’ or ‘Hungry Freaks Daddy’ for some of the angriest and most direct political writing Zappa would ever indulge in - mixed with sonic experiments like the creepy ‘Who Are the Brain Police?’ and filled in with some warped deconstructed doo-wop ditties like ‘I Ain't Got No Heart’ or ‘You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here’.

And then, after ‘Trouble Every Day’, it gets *really* strange. But it would be a mistake to write off ‘Help, I'm a Rock’ or ‘Return of the Son of Monster Magnet’ as aimless jams; like school buddy Captain Beefheart's own strangest work, those two tracks yield more secrets the more you listen to them. Take all the vocals in the ‘It Can't Happen Here’ segment; try to listen to the words and it just doesn't make sense, until you realise that the voices aren't meant to be saying anything that makes sense - they're being used as instrumentation, and the piece is actually an orchestral ditty conveyed entirely through the human voice.

I can't quite give this one four stars because it does outstay its welcome - one or two of the doo-wop bubblegum pop numbers could have happily been trimmed - but there's no mistaking the importance of this album. At the time it was released, *nobody* had produced anything so simultaneously eccentric and erudite in a rock context.

Miles Smiles
Miles Davis

Miles Davis Miles Smiles album cover

Davis, Shorter and Hancock were a force of jazz fusion and they absolutely shine on "Miles Smiles". This early jazz fusion album encompasses the jazz genre. The drumming is manic and constantly knocking out of time sig, and the bassline is non stop be bop rhythms. Over this framework sax and trumpets blaze with illuminated genius. Davis is a pioneer and has a plethora of albums to sink into. Some are better than other and "Miles Smiles" is full blown jazzing improvisation. It is not as progressive as the sound gets on subsequent albums but nevertheless there is a compelling inventive style engrained in the music.

‘Orbits’ is a wonderful opener with a fast bassline and drums as Miles blows up a storm on his trumpet. Hancock has a field day on piano as does Shorter on sax. The intense music is exciting and adventurous throughout. ‘Footprints’ features jazzy hi hat timpani and Miles delightful trumpet with the sax following the melody harmoniously. The melody reminds me of a late night driving in rain soaked streets. Full of urgency and the rhythm of the late night, the sound is a jazz feast and virtuosos musicianship.

‘Dolores’ is another quick tempo track with lashings of trumpet and bright hyper percussion. The sax of Shorter takes over as dominant lead and drives the track to a stirring conclusion.

Another highlight is ‘Gingerbread Boy’ with chaotic percussion and bass while sax and trumpet compete to take over as lead instrument. The intensity of the free form jazz sound is astounding and it is nice to hear Herbie Hancock's piano take a turn on the track. The glistening piano runs are inspiring and full of dynamic motifs and vigorous energy. The crashing cymbals and drums of Tony Williams are a key feature but no one can top Miles' trumpet explosions.

This album is an essential listen for jazz addicts.

1967. The birth of prog... and here is one of the instigators. Let us embark on a journey. The day begins opens with an orchestration and a narration; "Cold hearted orb that rules the night, Removes the colours from our sight, Red is gray and yellow, white But we decide which is right, And which is an illusion". So begins an enthralling experience.

Dawn: Dawn is a feeling "Dawn is a feeling, A beautiful ceiling, The smell of grass, Just makes you pass Into a dream". The lyrical poetry works well with the massive orchestra and of course the soaring crystal clear vocals of Justin Hayward.

Morning: another Morning As we emerge into the morning the music brightens "Balloons flying, Children sighing, What a day to go kite flying, Breeze is cool Away from school, Cowboys fighting out a duel, Time seems to stand quite still In a child's world, it always will".  The album is dated due to the lyrics that are eccentric and oddball.

On Lunch break: peak hour The lyrics are thought provoking such as,"Minds are subject to what should be done, Problems solved, time cannot be won, One hour a day, One hour at night, Sees crowds of people All meant for flight." The stirring rhythms and ambience is as emotive as the band can get and this leads to: Tuesday afternoon (forever afternoon). Mellotrons. Heavenly vocals. The time signature changes dramatically and the album really has one incredible masterpiece track here. This track would absolutely permeate itself in the band's repertoire. It encompasses everything the band stands for, soaring vocals, emotive thought provoking conceptual lyrics, and music that reaches into the stratosphere. Evening: the sun set: twilight time is a sweet medley sandwiched between two classics. The three tracks are fused together as one seamless composition and are really beautiful pieces with passages of orchestra and synth that stir the soul.

Night: Nights in White Satin. A quintessential Moody Blues brilliant master work. It begins with astonishing orchestration as good as one may hear on a soundtrack to a movie. It rises to a crescendo and settles as the bass and drums keep a constant stream of rhythmic patterns. Hayward's voice is angelic, "Nights in white satin, Never reaching the end, Letters I've written, Never meaning to send..." The other tracks build inexorably to this magical moment and it even ends with an epilogue Late Lament that is part of the whole experience;"Breathe deep the gathering gloom, Watch lights fade from every room, Bedsitter people look back and lament, Another day's useless energy spent..." It bookends the whole album with stunning orchestration which is similar to the intro of "Nights".

The two master tracks plus other moments weaved into the tapestry make this an excellent album to savour and remember. It was way back in 1967 that music like this was being created, before any of the sprawling concept artists that permeate modern prog, and it is the ultimate Moody Blues experience with their two best songs.

A review by Ivan_Melgar_M:

The Moody Blues were never a progressive band, that's a fact we must understand before reviewing this good album; they had some progressive approach and some distinctive elements of the genre but nothing more.

On the other hand their relevance as predecessors of the genre is absolutely undeniable, especially in "Days of Future Passed" an album that uses many prog' elements like the use of Mellotron the inclusion of an Orchestra and the fusion of genres. None of these elements were absolutely new in rock history but I could dare to affirm that it was one of the first times all were used together.

I've not mentioned the idea of a conceptual rock album (about a normal man's day) which is also characteristic of Progressive Rock, because I believe Days of Future Passed is the first album that clearly developed it, mostly because the story of each song is perfectly linked with the next one, like other previous albums Sgt. Pepper's by The Beatles (doesn't have a concrete concept) or Little Deuce Coupe (Just a collection of 12 songs with no senses of continuity) and Freak Out (also not clearly a conceptual album) both by Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention.

It's also important to remember that 1967 was a very important year for rock, British Psychedelia was reaching it's maturity but there was needed a change of direction to turn into Progressive Rock, "Days of Future Passed" is one of the first steps, the aggressive and druggy mood of this era is not as evident as in most albums of the era, "Days of Future Passed" is much more lyrical and ambitious.

The introduction of The London Festival Orchestra conducted by Peter Knight was a good idea, even when The Moody Blues didn't work it perfectly because most of the time the Orchestra sounds as an alien element to the music, not as a vital part of the composition, maybe also a bit naive and simple but at the same time adventurous and elegant. In other words enhances the music but doesn't totally blend with the atmosphere of the album.

I'm not sure if The Moody Blues were conscious they were helping to create a new genre, but they wanted to do something different and surely they did it.

Justin Hayward's voice is one of the highlights; his voice reaches almost all the ranges and sounds perfect for this soft kind of music. Keyboards are absolutely innocent and that's maybe it's greatest beauty, specially when Pinder sounds absolutely different to anything from the late 60's, it's important to notice that when most bands were using the cheesy Farfisa Organ, The Moody Blues were experimenting with the Mellotron.

If I had to choose a track I would have to go with "Nights in White Satin" because of the importance it has as an all time classic that will pass to history as one of the masterpieces of Rock history, simply beautiful and wonderful song.

It's very hard to rate this album, because the music is too simple to consider "Days of Future Passed" as a masterpiece, but it's relevance in the developing of early prog' is so transcendental that no collection will be considered complete without a copy.

Absolutely Free
Frank Zappa

Frank Zappa Absolutely Free album cover

Zappa's live debut with the Mothers of Invention "Absolutely Free" was an extravaganza to be heralded by many over the years. The live Zappa was always a different beast than the studio version. It begins with the announcement, "'Ladies and gentleman, the president of the United States". Then it goes chaotic with ‘Plastic People’, as weird as it gets lyrically and featuring some excellent guitar licks and a fractured time sig. Zappa states we are "a product of plasticity, blah blah blah blah, cabbage is a vegetable, you dream about your feet, you are pebbles, purple prancing". It is very strange as usual and is focused on Nazis.

‘The Duke of Prunes’ continues the madcap humour, with Zappa rhyming 'prune' with anything else he can think of such as 'June'. I see your lovely beans, I bite your neck, chunka chunka chunka." It is difficult to describe but imagine the music spinning wildly out of the box and you may be close. Later we get into a song about vegetables "they keep you regular". The free form jazz is great and Zappa keeps interjecting with weird anecdotes that are part of the concert experience. He even yodels rudibake, and says a prune is not really a vegetable, a cabbage is a vegetable.

The saxophone sounds of Underwood are always a treat, as well as the crazy guitar breaks and they shine on the lengthy ‘Invocation and Ritual Dance of the Young Pumpkin’. The instrumental section is a definitive psychedelic freak out with Zappa and the Mothers in all their glory in full flight. This is where Zappa has cemented his indelible reputation as a guitar giant. Underwood is a force to be reckoned with blazing brilliantly on sax.

‘Soft Cell Conclusion’ breaks this up admirably with more bizarreness about "green things in general". ‘Why Dontcha Do Me Right?’ Has a driving rhythm and some zany vocals, the deep raspy type that Zappa loves to lock into. The riff is bluesy and grinds along on a straight time sig, but the lead guitar break is a highlight.

"One two buckle my shoe" begins America Drinks and the drunken candour of the band is rather humorous. The music sounds drunken without remaining on a time sig figure. The saxophone breaks out suddenly and laughs along to the pounding bassline. ‘Status Back Baby’ features a sax solo ranging from beautiful melancholy to angry emotions, perhaps like the high school student's emotional rollercoaster.

‘Uncle Bernie's Farm’ is really quirky, a cool bassline and jangly guitar groove out the highly strange time sig. The lyrics are nonsense and quite funny, even Zappa laughs at the silliness; "There's a man who runs the country and they are all made out of plastic". He seems to be making up the words as he goes and the musicians seem to be improvising.

‘Son of Suzy Creamcheese’ "oh mama, what's got into you?" is a Zappa favourite and has appeared on other live albums. The song has an infectious melody and works well on the live stage.

‘Brown Shoes Don't Make It’ is another of the lengthy tracks with some incredibly cynical vocals; "be a jerk go to work, do your job and do it right, do you love it do you hate it." The high vocalisations remind one of Magma and this one features some weird effects and fractured time sigs. It is perhaps a more inventive approach similar to "Freak Out!" The violins are creepy along with Zappa's off kilter vocals. Underwood plays a low sax tone and there are violin embellishments. The lyrics get cruder and even sillier as it progresses; "he's rocking and rolling and acting obscene, baby baby baby, and he loves, loves it and he curls up his toes, she bites his fat neck and it lights up his nose, she's nasty she's nasty she does it in bed." The style changes to a weird 40s style and then moves into several other time sigs and styles like songs within songs. It is quite a rodeo and along the way we hear spacey effects, children's voices "what would you do daddy?" to which he answers "smother my daughter in chocolate syrup, and boogie till the cows come home." Does humour belong in music? Zappa thought so.

‘America Drinks and Goes Home’ moves from ear to ear, left and right, and the orgiastic screaming and caterwauling at the end sounds like a party. For 1967 this album is a bold move and there was nothing like it at the time so Zappa shoved it up the musical authorities and had fun doing it. 

A review by Warthur:

Consisting of two side-long suites (with contemporary single Big Leg Emma/Why Don'cha Do Me Right? acting as a sort of interlude on most CD versions), Absolutely Free takes the two halves of Freak Out! - skewed pop/rock numbers and avant-garde experimental tracks - and mashes them together until the two ingredients are inextricably bound. Take the first suite, Absolutely Free, which after it sputters into life with the still angry, still politicised Plastic People takes the listener on a journey through a world of vegetable-themed romance which slips Stravinsky lines and free jazz noodlings in as it ricochets from frenetic experimental chaos to Supremes-inspired Wall of Sound pop heaven.

The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn album cover

The debut of Pink Floyd is one of the most important albums of the 60s.

It is here where the space rock genre started. Hawkwind owe a lot to this album as do many other prog bands churning out from the 70s. It simply caresses the ears from start to end with crystal clear clarity.

"Neptune Titan stars can frighten you, blinding signs flap flicker flicker flicker blam pow pow!" 'Astronomy Domine' sends chills down the spine as soon as that lead break locks in. It is Barrettt's finest moment. The lyrics are absolutely perfect and are engrained in psychedelia as much as the swirling lights in the UFO Club. Syd's Astronomical Atlas helped with the lyrics. The cover version by Voi Vod is worth seeking out too for a heavier feel.

"That cat's something I can't explain." 'Lucifer Sam' has always been a favourite, perhaps one of Barrett's best compositions with the group. It grooves along with psychedelic flair, like a black cat stalking a mouse. The song was based on Percy the Rat Catcher and I, Ching fragments of counter culture.

"across the sea in wooden shoes, bells to tell the king the news." 'Matilda Mother' has silly lyrics about a bedtime story read by mother.

"Lying on an eiderdown, yippee you can't see me but I can you." 'Flaming' is appealing thanks to a memorable melody and some downright trippy effects. The lyrics are based on an LSD psychedelic picnic where Syd played hide and seek with sister Rosemary. The LSD caused fingers to burn sparks like cigarettes.

"cch cch! cch cch! doi doi! doi doi!" After an absolutely uproarious intro with vocal intonations from out of the asylum, 'Pow R. Toc H' settles into a bluesy piano. Floyd were nothing short of experimenting with the drug culture music that prevailed during the turbulent late 60s. TocH was a signallers call for the Talbot House army club.

"Realise realise realise!" 'Take up thy stethoscope and walk' is quite a curio with some nice melodic phrases from Barrett and the riffs chug along satisfactorily. This one really feels like the 60s with manic keyboard motifs and scratchy guitars. The organ grinds along with freak out finesse, and it's a jam session for acid heads which works as a piece of nostalgia these days. It was a formulaic attempt to capture their on stage sound, penned by Waters.

"bleep bleep bleep" 'Interstellar Overdrive' is one of the most well known instrumentals for the band. It features a killer riff and incredible experimental kanoodling. Some of this sonic disorientation is downright unsettling and makes for a delightful background for an acid trip for the flower children of the 60s. Perhaps it represents a bad LSD trip as this is quite dark especially as it progresses into chilling psychedelia tones mid way through. It is meant to aurally evoke the confusion and dislocation of the drug rush. The high pitched repetitive note may portent the style of 'Echoes' intro, and most of this is improvised for atmosphere more than well played instrumentation. The music represents the submission to LSD, the period of exploration, and the slow descent into contemplation.

"Eating sleeping drinking their wine, he wore a scarlet tunic, a blue green hood, it looked quite good."'The Gnome' is one of those childish fairy tales inside Barrett's deranged brain. The whispered section is quite effective. It is all inspred by Tolkien's "The Hobbit", Frodo's adventure.

"The movement is accomplished in six stages, the seven is the number of the young light." 'Chapter 24' has lyrics about some chapter in some obscure transcendental I, Ching book. Chapter 24 of the book is titled Fu or change and success, and Syd was endeavouring to explain his increasing psychic upheaval experienced due to his fame and revelations through LSD.

"he stood in a field where barley grows, his head did no thinking his arms didn't move." 'The Scarecrow' features the story telling antics of Syd. This time he is onto another plane of existence singing about some weird scarecrow in the field who has the answer to Syd's sadness. In fact the scarecrow resigns to the fact that he cannot enjoy life, he will never be able to move and has to succumb to the mice churning up the ground beneath him. The nursery feel and click clack horse sounds are effective and Wright is marvellous on keyboards.

"you're the kind of girl that fits in with my world, I'll give you anything everything if you want things."'Bike' is one of the better tracks and most Floydians know this well. It is well outside what Floyd would do in later years. The whimsical lyrics rhyme brilliantly about things special to Syd; the bike, gingerbread men, a cloak and a pet mouse, and a girl who he wants to fit into his rag tag world.

The album ends with a creaking door, clocks chiming and a ludicrous quacking. The debut from Barrett, Wright, Mason, and Waters is an entertaining romp and remains the essential late 60s psychedelic prop.

When I bought this album I was already a "Dark Side of the Moon" fan, and to be honest "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" sounded to me as a heresy. Why were my idols playing that exuberant and lysergic music? But the answer was simple; Syd Barrett. With the passing of time I learned to love this album and today it’s one of my favorites, even if it has almost nothing in common with the progressive Pink Floyd.

"Piper at the Gates of Dawn" is a semi conceptual album inspired in Syd Barrett's favorite children's book "The Wind and the Willows" and because of that is somehow naïve and innocent, but it's also an ode to madness, sometimes confusing and sometimes total lack of coherence, but that insanity is the key of it's beauty and transcendence.

The album starts with "Astronomy Domine", a typical psychedelic song of the late 60's with a pop edge and guitar based sound plus simple but effective drums. Even when Floyd didn't even dream with DSOTM we can listen to some spacey sections, as an Avant premiere of the sound they will develop years after.

"Lucifer Sam" is a song where Roger Waters demonstrates what he is capable of with his powerful bass, reminds me of moments of the Batman Theme (remember the 60´s series?), a good song but nothing special, except maybe for the complex mixture of instruments in the middle section of the track and the overplayed keyboards that sound like Farfisa Organ.

"Matilda Mother" reminds me of Sergeant Pepper's and it must have been a classic when the album was released, but today sounds outdated, even when it's a very complex track with multiple changes and elaborated vocals. You can almost feel the effects of the LSD when you listen to this song.

"Pow R Toc H" can be described in two words, pure acid, the song is plagued with sounds and shouts, almost always out of tune, that would be totally out of reality if it wasn't for the extraordinary piano sections by Wright that brings us back to earth.

"Take thy Stethoscope and Walk" is without doubt one of the worst songs of the album, incredibly was composed by Roger Waters and is a typical 60's song but lacks imagination and coherence. The next track "Interstellar Overdrive" is one of the first clear attempts of space rock, still confusing and chaotic but very interesting, the band offers something innovative.

"The Gnome", "Chapter 24" and "The Scarecrow" are three weak Barrett songs, again the band offers nothing different to what second-class bands done before, pretty forgettable except for the historical value of being composed by Syd Barrett.

The album ends with the childish and naïve "Bike", don't know why but I find this song very interesting and well done, as a curiosity, in the middle section there's a moments silence and an explosion of clock like sounds that for an instant transports the listener to Dark Side of the Moon.

"Piper at the Gates of Dawn" explores two aspects of psychedelic music, the exploration of a world that goes further than the senses and at the same time an absolute demonstration of mental insanity, which explains Syd Barrett's future breakdown. Not progressive by any means but an absolute masterpiece of British Psychedelia that can't be easily understood by those of us who didn't live the excesses of the late 60's.

An essential piece of music, basic to understand the history of one of the most incredible and innovative bands of Progressive Rock.

Procol Harum
Procol Harum

Procol Harum Procol Harum album cover

Procol Harum's debut is a strong beginning for a band that left an indelible mark on organ led melodic rock. The remaster features the absolutely essential track that most people have heard at some time or another, ‘A Whiter Shade of Pale’. The organ motif is unforgettable as is Brooker's psychedelic vocals and dreamscape lyrics. They became known for this track alone but of course the album has more to offer.

‘She Wandered Through the Garden Fence’ is whimsical and features some infectious melodies. Cerdes (Outside the Gate of) is a killer track with psychedelic images and a contagious hook, with organs blazing and one of the more forceful vocal performances. ‘A Christmas Camel’ features hammering piano and a delightful soaring melody. The lyrics centre on the mysteries of madness and war with powerful imagery of men who "impaled themselves on six inch nails", and "my feeble sick wearied brain I'm overcome with shame". The lead break of Trower is a great part of each song and here is no exception.

‘Repent Walpurgis’ sounds slightly like ‘Whiter Shade’, at least in organ sound and tempo. The instrumental track is another highlight and meanders along slowly with an extended intro before Trower's guitar kicks in. the piano flourishes are note worthy and it a dreamy soundscape is generated.

Overall, this is a wonderful debut for a band that would soon be a worldwide success thanks to a little thing about skipping the light Fandango, a miller's tale, 16 vestil virgins, and the crowd turned out for more.

A review by Sean Trane:

This is another one of those seminal proto-prog albums that is so instrumental to prog and music in general. One of those obligatory passages from sixties pop to seventies rock, along with Caravan's debut, Soft Machine's first two albums and the Nice's debut. The original UK vinyl did not have the heavily Bach-influenced Whiter Shade Of Pale on it but the US release (four months previously) does and quite rightly so. One of Procol Harum's most innovative trend is a lyricist (Keith Reid), some two years before Crimson's Pete Sinfield, and even before Pete Brown (Jack Bruce's lyricist in Cream), and his incredibly poetic text will be over-analysed for years to come, but they were one of the most important strength of Procol's better tracks.

Procol Harum is one of those groups that should really be considered pioneers of prog as they were the first one to have this double KB attack as Brooker sang and played piano and Fisher played the Hammond organ in such a fabulous manner that it is the principal reason for the success of Whither Shade Of Pale with this awesome intro. However the real gift of Procol lays in the guitar and the drumming. No histrionic solos here, but listen to the incredible psychedelic underlining guitar lines form the awesome ROBIN TROWER. This is a man who was pinned down as a Hendrix clone/student but here again the popular wisdom is wrong as this came out before the first Hendrix album, and one can see here, that he was into experimentation before that. Trower's blues guitar mixed with the classical influences of both keyboards being blended successfully is one of Procol's most enduring achievements. BJ Wilson's excellent drumming is one of the most under-rated prog drummers ever.

Some of the tracks are simply incredibly advanced for the times and still sound so solemnly beautiful nowadays: listen to Oustside The Gates OF Cerdes, Repent Walpurgis, and future hit Conquistador, to get a load on how great these guys were working as a unit and breaking ground with almost every track. To call this album full-blown prog is maybe a little quick, though: Kaleidoscope, Mabel and Captain Clac are tracks full of great psychedelic invention that even Floyd or the Beatles would've proudly called their own. One of the secrets of Procol's success is the descending bass lines (a descendo? ;-) on many of their better tracks and most notably on their Whiter Shade Of Pale

The ideal thing would be to find this album with both Whiter Shade Of Pales and the second single Homburg (which was a bit too much of a carbon copy of Pale, but still excellent) and their two B-sides. Simply one of those historic albums and one of the first prog albums. This album has received many a release over the years, some with rather poor sound, and to make sure you get a proper copy, try out the Westside label.

Safe As Milk
Captain Beefheart

Captain Beefheart Safe As Milk album cover

"Well I was born in the desert came on up from New Orleans, Came up on a tornado sunlight in the sky, I went around all day with the moon sticking in my eye". Captain Beefheart rams it straight down the throat of the listener with the weird vocal style on this early avant garde album "Safe as Milk" which is anything but. It is rather a dangerous sound they generate unlike anything at the time and compelling listening at that. Sure 'Nuff 'N Yes I Do is kind of like a sleepy Western film complete with wonderful slide guitar and bluesy strains. Then it moves into a rock jazz thing with loud blaring guitars and poor production sounding like an old transistor radio sound.

‘The Zig Zag Wanderer’ is a full blown noisy rocker with repetitive motif and weird lyrics; "You can huff, you can puff, You'll never blow my house down, You can zig, you can zag, Whoa I'm gonna stay, gonna stay around."

‘Drop Out Boogie’ has some nasty vocals and a rather crungy guitar sound with a classic simple riff, sounding like Soft Machine's ‘We Did It Again’. ‘I'm Glad’ has a slow 50s feel and some pain wracked vocals singing about "the good times that we've had, walk in the park, kiss in the dark, leaving just like a spark." The melancholy feel is not akin to Beefheart's signature sound but it breaks up the avant garde stuff nicely.

‘Electricity’ is one of the all time great Beefheart tracks, featuring Don Van Vliet's snarling "Wolfman Jack" vocals and time sig changes with some creepy musicianship. It is a real blast with dynamic rhythmic figures, wonderful pulsing bassline, and psychedelic art rock flourishes. The lyrics are full of high strangeness; "going to bright find a light, lighthouse beacon straight ahead across black seas seeking electricity, high voltage man kisses night breathe the last of those who leave behind." This is definitive Beefheart and well worth seeking out as an example of the genius at work.

‘Yellow Brick Road’ begins with a reference tone so the narrator states. Then a country rock rhythm locks in and some strong vocals leading to a rather off beat chorus. ‘Abba Zabba’ is golden slabs of rhythmic nonsense with Ry Cooder's funkadelic bass and psyched guitar accompanying the madcap lyrics.

The ultra cool blues of ‘Plastic factory’ is stunning, quivering blues harmonica phrases and cynical vocals driving it. The instrumental break is a hypnotic signature broken by short choppy diversions.

‘Where There's Woman’ is an outstanding track with a terrific chorus and very satirical lyrics such as "Where there's evil a hound's tooth bear white, where there's good is where I'll be tonight, where there's love there burns eternal light, where there's woman I take her without spite." The melody is strong and it ends quickly before it gets too much.

‘Grown So Ugly’ is a rocking bluesy song with very pronounced riff echoing every vocal phrase. Vliet sounds aggressive and the full on guitar sound is very welcome.

‘Autumn's Child’ ends the album on a solid note, with eccentric nuances, vocals that screech, and a weird spacey sound on keyboards. "Go back years ago sunbeams fill the air" is the most remembered phrase, but overall this is dominated by a strange structure and progressive time sig changes and mood swings.

The debut for Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band is very adventurous and showcases the experimental humourous style that permeated their catalogue of albums. It is not as ferociously bizarre as the insane manic "Trout Mask Replica" but this is still an important album leading to quirky arrangements and themes explored in prog rock to come in the 70s golden era.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - March 26 2012 at 06:06
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 21:39

We're Only In It For The Money
Frank Zappa

Frank Zappa Were Only In It For The Money album cover

"We're Only In It For The Money" is a Zappa and the Mothers album dripping with cynical attitude poking fun of parental excess and adolescent stupidity. It openly has a stab at the police, the system and the yuppie jet set verses the hippy drug culture. On one listen it will amuse and the lyrics are certainly the most biting with an expose of the American way; "smash every creep in the face with a rock, gotta go bye bye, pow pow pow." The songs are dark at least in thematic content but the tunes are quirky and whimsical. Even the album cover blatantly makes fun of the classic Beatles Sgt Pepper. There is no subtlety in either imagery or style. Zappa just lets rip on everything damning the world. The result is a mixed bag of strange hyper tense lyrics and compelling tunes.

The tracks are very short and there are intriguing special effects. The phone call on ‘Telephone Conversation’ is so similar to Pink Floyd's “The Wall” it is uncanny. Certainly this album was a major influence on concept albums. Zappa was doing things on vinyl that no other artist dared. "Freak Out" proved he could produce bizarre material and this follows up on this with a strong conceptual frame work. ‘What´s the ugliest part of your body?’ is in 50s doo wop style, a Zappa-esque touch on many of his other albums. The lyrics to follow are quite potent such as making fun of Christmas, "comet and cupid and donner and blitzen, escape from your logo" on ‘Absolutely Free’. The funky double bass heavy ‘Flower Punk’ is particularly innovative lyrically, "throw out the crystal and join the psychedelic man, and a narrative voice spouting off about the evils of the music industry, "The kids today are so wonderful, I'm proud to be part of this gigantic mass deception".

‘Nasal retentive calliope music’ brings us back to the bizarre world of these acid heads, and perhaps is a bit too disconcerting for some listeners, as perturbing as a lot of darker prog these days. An avant-garde sound collage that is really a noise fest of creaking squeaks and ear splitting sonic vibrations. ‘Let's Make the Water Turn Black’ is one of the more well known Zappa tracks featuring in some of the concerts. Some otherworldy sounds accompany the second side of the album introducing tracks and then the music jumps straight in like The Residents style, with no introductions and no endings. The songs blend together and hardly develop until the next weird effect. There is lots of jabbering and nonsense but it seems to work in a similar way to other Mothers albums. Finally we get to the hilarious ‘Lonely Little Girl’ and ‘Take your clothes off when you dance’ which is rather restrained for Zappa in terms of crudity, but is a breezy piece that typifies the band's sound.

This is once again one of the products of the late sixties and is fun for a while though many may prefer the more serious Zappa on "Hot Rats" if they are interested in the music because this one sacrifices music for insanity and subversive humour.

A review by Warthur: 

The ultimate musical "a curse on all your houses", before Altamont, before the National Guard shooting students in Ohio, before the chaos at the 1968 Democratic convention and the victory of Richard Nixon, Zappa and the Mothers were there, right in the thick of the summer of love, exposing it for the sham that it is whilst refusing to let the establishment off the hook at the same time. Lyrically bang on target, the album expresses Zappa's anger as the momentum of the civil rights movement and all the movements for progressive social change that had built up in the earlier part of the decade is squandered by naive hippies espousing incoherent, vacuous philosophies and showing more interest in taking drugs and getting laid than genuinely changing the world. Along with Love's "Forever Changes" and *maybe* the work of the Doors, this ranks amongst the very first albums to suggest that the Age of Aquarius might, in fact, simply be a washout.

Musically speaking, it's a bit less schizophrenic than Absolutely Free, partially because of the unity of the concept. Between the tape effects and whisperings at the edge of the recording, some of which hide the inner thoughts of the hippy musicians the band are parodying, the music begins with a strident, almost militant tone with "who needs the peace corps", takes pot-shots at the establishment with "Bow-Tie Daddy" and "Mom and Dad", and as the 60s generation gets gradually consumed by Vietnam amidst the fairytale gadding about of "Let's Make the Water Turn Black" the music - like the movement it is criticising - breaks down and gives way to the incoherence musique concrete of The Chrome Plated Megaphone of Destiny. This and "Absolutely Free" are the two major statements of the early Mothers of Invention; Zappa's later music would be more progressive, but the satire would never be quite as finely targeted.

The Soft Machine
The Soft Machine

The Soft Machine The Soft Machine album cover

Ratledge, Ayers and Wyatt were the triune Canterbury pioneers. 

The Soft Machine is definitely an acquired taste. From the outset the album introduces us to zany jazz fusion with Robert Wyatt’s trademark ad lib style vocals and the off kilter tempo. The opening track does feature a terrific organ solo from Mike Ratledge that goes all over the place along with the crazy percussive meter and downright unsettling vocal intonations. ‘Joy of a Toy’ is sandwiched in between, an important track for Kevin Ayers on bass. The solo of guitar, bass and droning effects is a nice psychedelic flourish. It builds to a driving rhythm and breaks into a quirky choppy time sig. The multi layered vocals are typical of Wyatt’s style and Ayers leading to the reprise. The next few songs build to a crescendo and feature sporadic percussion and hammering organ throughout with some delightfully odd lyrics. 

‘Save Yourself’ has humourous time sig changes and weird guitar sounds. Next is the short ‘Priscilla’, which is really an organ solo, leading to ‘Lullabye Letter’ with its zany lyrics; “I’ve got something to tell you it’s nice make you feel better, a lullabye letter”. This one is reminiscent of the Pink Floyd Barrett style, or psychedelic Beatles, featuring a freak out organ break and accented percussion that is manic at times. The unsettling screeching at the end may disturb some listeners.

‘We Did It Again’ is one of the more well known Soft Machine songs, driven by repetitive title phrase and a hypnotic beat. The repeated phrase is essentially part of the music. The songs are all seamlessly blended together as one track. ‘Plus Belle Qu'une Poubelle’ is a short organ driven thing that segues directly into ‘Why Are We Sleeping?’, the longest track at 5:26 in length. The narrative is an interesting part of the psych strangeness, with incredibly bizarre hallucinogenic lyrics; “it begins with a blessing but ends with a curse, my mask is my master, the trumpeter weeps, his voice is so deep as he speaks from his sleep”. This is followed by a short outro with a 24/4 time signature.

Overall this debut album is a part of the psychedelic flower power culture and an important part of the dawn of prog rock. It is definitely one of the better Soft Machine albums, and stands the test of time, with incredible tracks of hypnotic repetitive melodies.

Shine On Brightly
Procol Harum

Procol Harum Shine On Brightly album cover

This early Procol Harum is one of their best and has made an impact on music over the years driven by shimmering Hammond and the soaring vocals of Gary Brooker. The musicianship is always magnificent and certainly the melodies hook in to the system on every song. Parts of the album have become indispensable to the band and appear on all their compilations. There is no 'Whiter Shade' here but this is nevertheless full of equally excellent tracks.

‘Quite Rightly So’ is a great opener with Hammond and wild percussive embellishments. Trower’s guitar is always something to look forward to and he cranks out some innovative licks. ‘Homburg’ is an essential song from the band and features melodic organ and a strong beat to carry it along. ‘Magdalene (My Regal Zonophone)’ features grand piano and marching drum rhythms. The melancholy vocals are perfect for the sombre themes; "for once I stood quite naked, for shame I wept the tears". ‘Shine on Brightly’ is another quintessential track, with a moderate tempo and the ever present Hammond organ. The lyrics are always based on the premise of a relationship break up or searching for answers. This one centres on losing sanity; "The chandelier is in full swing, though it seems they smile with glee, I know in truth they envy me, and watches my befuddled brain shines on brightly quite insane." This was before Pink Floyd's ‘Shine On’ it has to be remembered and well ahead of its time as was the case with the band's album content.

‘In Held Twas In I’ is the complex magnum opus of the album clocking a mammoth 17 and a half minutes. Once again it features lots of organ but the lengthy jamming is a key feature and shows the band at their best. Overall, this is one of the greatest Procol Harum albums in their lengthy career. 

"In Search of the Lost Chord" searches for meaning but is not as strong as the conceptual classic "Days of Future Passed". 'Ride my see-saw' is easily the greatest track on the album; a 60s psychedelic single that sounds like early Pink Floyd. The lyrics are pyschedelic; "Ride, ride my see-saw, Take this place, On this trip Just for me, Ride, take a free ride, Take my place, Have my seat It's for free". The harmonies are wonderous and it has a driving rhythm that captures the glorious scene of the flower power late 60s; the dance-centred scene with go-go girls swishing their mini-skirts and shaking their lengthy blonde hair.

'Dr. Livingstone, I presume?' is as close to The Beatles as the band gets. It is average but catchy after a few listens with some great guitar licks. 'House of four doors pt1 and pt2' is a progalicious track with weird music, magic mellotron, and weirder special effects including doors closing and opening and the doors are signifiers to new sections and new time changes; no complaints to the creative innovative nature of the band.

'Legend of a mind' is another classic that most Moody Fans would be familiar with, with bold lyrics; "Timothy Leary's dead, No, no, no, He's outside looking in, He'll fly his astral plane, Takes you trips around the bay, Brings you back the same day, Timothy Leary". Leary was the psych drug king who influenced this generation of 1968 and was himself an icon of pyschedelica and the Haight Ashbury scene. The Moody Blues knew it and capitalised on it with this track. The song features some very proggy mellotron sounds and an odd meter with intriguing structures.

'Voices in the sky' is a low point with simple sugary sweet lyrics and melodies. There is a track called 'Om'with memorable lines such as "OM, The rain is on the roof, Hurry high, butterfly, As clouds roll past my head I know why the skies all cry, Om, Om, Heaven, Om..." 

This Moody Blues second album is important for the genre, althoughthe Moodies went on to better things.

A review by Warthur:

A marked improvement over Days of Future Passed, In Search of the Lost Chord proves that the prime-era Moodies didn't need an orchestra to produce lush, sweeping, dramatic music. A more engaging listen thanks to the loss of the classical interludes, the album explores nebulous concepts around the search for emotional and spiritual fulfilment, which is eventually in Eastern mysticism. As you can imagine from an album which includes tributes to Timothy Leary (Legend of a Mind), it's an album decidedly in tune with the hippy subculture of its era, though all the tracks have aged well bar the closing Om - a rather tedious bit of cultural appropriation that doesn't really go anywhere. Though perhaps that song (and The Word, the Graeme Edge poem that leads into it) suffers from following The Actor - anything would pale in comparison to the swooning vocal crescendos of one of Hayward's absolute best compositions.

Although every member of the band lends a hand to the songwriting, the first side leans heaily on John Lodge and Ray Thomas compositions - including the racing Ride My See-Saw and the classic Legend of a Mind - whilst side two tends towards Hayward and Pinder's compositions. Of the two sides, I think the first one is mildly stronger - to be honest, Mike Pinder isn't my favourite composer of the Moodies, both Om and The Best Way to Travel seeming to play off hippy culture without bringing much interesting to the table - but Hayward's fine compositions save the second side from being a complete letdown. Not an outright classic, but a big step in the right direction for the Moodies.

Music In A Doll's House
Family

Family Music In A Dolls House album cover

Family have made a massive impact on prog rock and were one of the earliest eclectic groups blending many styles together to create innovative albums such as "Music In A Doll's House". This album along with "Family Entertainment" are heralded as the band's greatest triumphs. Roger Chapman's bleating vocals will take some getting used to, in a similar way to Surkamp of Pavlov's Dog, but the music always is nothing less than compelling.

‘The Chase’ is a rocker that pounds along quickly with a few innovative time sigs. The dreamy ‘Mellowing Grey’ is replete with symphonic violin string sounds. The work of Jim King on wind instruments is a key feature of ‘Never Like This’ and Chapman is more restrained on his overuse of vibrato. ‘Me My Friend’ is a psychedelic piece with strong influences from the underground culture, with the familiar swishing effect on the vocals prevalent on so many psych treasures of 1968. All of the songs on this album are short and some are really mere snippets or transition points such as ‘Variation On A Theme Of Hey Mr. Policeman’. The music is really part of the previous track.

‘Winter’ is one of the best tracks with psych reflections of escaping the rat race and system; "wish that I could hibernate go to sleep and never wake until the sun shines once again." The melody on this is certainly infectious with a solid chord progression and wind howling.

The harmonica drives the quirky beat along on ‘Old Songs, New Songs’. The wah-wah guitar solo of John 'Charlie' Whitney is wonderful embellished with a brass section lending a majestic feel. The sound is like the works of early Chicago or jazz fusion. ‘Another Variation’ follows and segues to ‘Hey Mr Policeman’. This is almost a stab at the system about how policemen hassle the adolescent culture, and they did in the hippy era.

‘See Through Windows’ is a very different track on the album, higher vocal harmonies and extremely psychedelic in flavour. The mid section is rather weird in structure, with broken time sigs and fractured rhythms. The lead break is terrific from Whitney. ‘Peace of Mind’ has some wacky sections, and the music is rather droning throughout with a sustained organ chord that grates on the nerves. It builds well with time sig changes and some psyched up passages of guitar and quick tempo blasts.

The vocals of ‘Voyage’ sounds uncannily like early Peter Gabriel and it may be argued he found influences here. Even the structure is akin to Genesis with time shifts in the tempo and metrical figures totally off the scale. It is one of the best Family tracks for certain and perhaps one of their most inventive and experimental. The ending is absolutely of kilter and disconcerting. It finishes with ‘3x Time’ that has strange time sigs and a jazzy mid section.

The free form jazz of the album tracks and experimental art rock feel are hallmarks of the album. As a debut for the band this one really announces a new style of music and may be the forerunner to many prog artists. It is an essential album to discover how prog formed in this early phase of the movement. It is albums like this that led to the 70s breakthrough of progressive sounds. Family's influence on prog rock cannot be underestimated.

Caravan
Caravan

Caravan Caravan album cover

Dave Sinclair, Pye Hastings, Richard Coughlin, and Richard Sinclair are wonderful progenitors of the Canterbury scene and have produced masterpiece albums. This debut is no masterpiece but features some of the indelible sound that became their trademark. Hammond organ that shimmers and quivers, distant reflective vocals, strong time sigs, and melodic phrases with extended jamming.

‘A Place of My Own’ encapsulates the late 60s where people were seeking respite from the crazy world. There was a harmless theme of searching for peace that permeates and it is refreshing to hear. ‘Ride’ has a great rhythm and some psych musicianship, with strong Eastern melodies and lyrics; "here I am alone in your sky, with my mind passing by the thoughts in your mind, if I were you and you were me could you feel how unreal your world seems to be." The phrases are in perfect melody and rhythm to the music and work as very psychedelic sounds capturing the spirit of the dreamscape of hallucigenic acid and hash that must have been fuel for the inspiration.

‘Love Song With flute’ is dreamy escapist lush and once again is just a hippie’s reflection on wanting to escape though "my mind draws a blind" and "look into my eyes tell me what you see". There are shades of psychedelia throughout of course but it is accessible and nowhere near as freaky as what was coming out of the scene. The flute solo is chillingly beautiful, rising and soaring on waves of organ phrases. ‘Magic Man’ spaces out with slow grinding organ and some acoustic flourishes. The slow pace reflects the lazy adolescent doing nothing but lying in the flowers and dreaming of a better world of freedom and love; the flower power scene is unmistakeable with tracks like this.

‘Where But For Caravan Would I?’ is a lengthy dreamy piece with an extended instrumental break. It builds gradually to the strong Hammond crunching break. This is Caravan at their best typifying the greatness to come on such masterpieces as "In The Land Of Grey And Pink".

The album is more of a monument to the time it was created but it is an archival source of great worth thanks to some delightful melodic tracks and lashings of trippy lyrical whimsy and staccato 60s organ hammering. A great start to a brilliant band.

A Saucerful Of Secrets
Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd A Saucerful Of Secrets album cover

An important album that receives mixed reactions.

Of course Barrett was an iconic figure, but he produced some questionable material and he departed on this album which has some questionable content. Also Waters was absolutely wrapped up in his own cerebral cortex on this effort. Although Barrett only is allowed to sing on the last track, his influence is prevalent.

Highlights include the compelling Roger Waters' masterpiece 'Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun' that has a hypnotic groove that draws one in with dark overtones and a riveting bassline. 'Let There Be More Light' is certainly a fabulous track with a spacey guitar feel and very moody keyboards from the incomparable Wright. Floyd can produce brilliant epics such as 'Echoes' and 'Shine On', but 'Saucerful of Secrets', is 12 minutes and not so innovative.

The caterwauling of Waters' 'Corporal Clegg' is the type of music that was churned out of the psycho 60s; a psyched up weird thing that sounds like a pale shadow of The Beatles. The kindergarten lyrics by Waters are weird; "Corporal Clegg had a wooden leg, He won it in the war, in 1944, Corporal Clegg had a medal too In orange, red, and blue, He found it in the zoo. Dear, dear were they really sad for me? Dear, dear will they really laugh at me? Mrs. Clegg, you must be proud of him. Mrs. Clegg, another drop of gin." In its time it probably knocked all the hippies off their heads.

The album is a product of the flower power psychedelic scene. 'See Saw' is the idiot child of 'Sgt Pepper' with childish lyrics; "Marigolds are very much in love, but he doesn't mind, Picking up his sister, he makes his way into the seas or land, All the way she smiles, She goes up while he goes down, down, Sits on a stick in the river, Laughter in his sleep, Sister's throwing stones, hoping for a hit." 

'Jugband Blues' is Barrett's paean to a love interest; 'And I never knew the moon could be so blue, And I'm grateful that you threw away my old shoes, And brought me here instead dressed in red, And I'm wondering who could be writing this song.' 

Contrary to popular belief, not everything Floyd touched was pure gold. It deserves recognition because it typifies the psychedelic scene and simply because it is iconic Floyd with the legends in their own mind, Barrett and Waters, basking in all their glory.

A review by Finnforest:

From the Gates of Dawn to the Saucerful.

1967 was one gigantic rainbow for Pink Floyd. They would start the year with a freshly inked record deal and end the year with a leader in shambles. The first official Piper session with producer Norman Smith took place the evening of February 21 and the first track recorded was "Matilda Mother." It was a magical time and the Piper album would be a phenomenal artistic success, a piece of genius that many fans would place great historical importance on. Sometime in late spring friends began to note changes in Syd. In early August Piper was released and the band began the first sessions for their second album. The next few months would see Barrett become disillusioned with the thought of having to repeat what they just did and deal with the increasing publicity. His drug use was both active and passive. Everyone knows Syd took legendary quantities of acid, what they may not realize is that he was also constantly being dosed by the people around him. These "hangers-on" around Barrett were taking advantage of him and helping fuel his destructive behaviour. I recall reading that they were dosing everything from the tap water to the afternoon tea so that Syd never came down from one trip before the next one started. The Floyd were unable to intervene and some admitted they really didn't try very hard, it was easier to look the other way according to Mason. One wonders if things could have been different had they called for a break and had an intervention to get Syd out of destructive living arrangements but instead they forged ahead.

By the end of the year he had become largely useless to the aspirations of the other members. Conventional wisdom calls Syd an acid casualty or mentally ill and there is evidence that supports those assertions. But that is only one piece of the puzzle. The other piece of the puzzle that doesn't get mentioned (because the "acid casualty" angle sells more magazines) is that Barrett forced the end consciously because he hated the direction they wanted to take it. This was at least a part of the reason along with the other issues. But he was conflicted of course: Syd liked the idea of being in a band but he wanted it to stay low-key and underground, he wanted things to be ever weirder and more avant-garde in direction. The others naturally wanted success in the more conventional sense and this meant singles, albums, interviews, and TV. Syd wanted no part of this and so he began to "act up" in ways that were no doubt magnified by his drug use and mental condition. They also admit to putting relentless pressure on him to come up with new material (per manager Andrew King) and being nasty to him when he couldn't do it. I have read other accounts as well stating that the band were unnecessarily mean, not just indifferent, but mean to him in a sort of bullying, mocking way that could not have been helpful. Of course they were quite young too and under pressure so some slack has to be cut.

By early '68 Gilmour had been brought aboard as the back-up plan and Syd knew his tenure was about finished. He actually knew earlier than that when the problems began to escalate in the fall of '67 and he began to butt heads with Waters regularly, the legendary "Have You Got It Yet?" story just being one example. (More on his farewell middle-finger to Roger later.) Syd would play his last date with the boys January 20th 1968 at Hastings Pier, the last of a handful of gigs that included both Barrett and Gilmour. Gilmour would sympathize with Waters' decision to sack Barrett as he would again concur with firing Wright about a dozen years later. I wanted to provide this account of the Barrett to Gilmour transition because I get tired of the simple, degrading accounts in magazines-if you dig deeper into the many accounts (in books) of Syd's closest friends, family, and management, you eventually discover his story is a little more complex than just "acid casualty" alone.

While Syd's exit and the reasons can be debated there is little argument that a Syd-less Floyd was not ready for prime time initially, though they would recover quickly to their great credit. Roger Waters was left to assume control and was far from ready to be lead songwriter though he must be given huge credit for keeping the ship afloat through this difficult period. Saucerful is a big step down from Barrett's masterpiece of psychedelic whimsy and underground folklore. To reduce the reason for this down to the simplest bottom line, it just lacks the incredible spark that happened to be in Syd's grasp in those few months while Piper was being cut. It lacks the wide-eyed enthusiasm they had in their first months before things began to sour. Saucerful is not horrible though and within the tracks can be heard scraps of the band they would become in a few years. Gilmour's first recording session with the Floyd took place on January 10 of 1968.

"Let There Be More Light" opens the album with Roger Water's new role as songwriter and it's not too bad, with different trippy sections that fit well together and a nice whisper effect on the vocals. This was also one of the first tracks the new line-up worked on together. Gilmour contributes a somewhat tentative solo towards the end as Wright's keys swirl around it all. "Remember a Day" is a nice psych-pop song by Wright that was a leftover from the Piper sessions: Syd can be heard doing the scrapes of slide guitar roughening up what is an otherwise very "pretty" song. I love the mood of the song which is so melancholic and the theme of wanting to remain in an earlier more pleasant phase of life. There are very nice piano parts by Wright here that contrast well with the slide. Apparently Mason couldn't manage his drum parts on this song and so they are played here by producer Norman Smith who also contributed some backing vocals.

"Set the Controls" is an early example of space rock, a tag which would drive Waters crazy in the years to come as he attempted to write more about the human condition than abstract ideas like outer space. The song features prominent keyboard work by Wright and Mason's typical rolling drum variations along with various sound effects. There has long been controversy about Syd's contribution to this track. According to David Parker's excellent book "Random Precision," which documents every early recording session with actual studio records and handwritten notes off the EMI tape boxes, the version that appears on Saucerful is take 2 from the August 8, 1967 session and is Barrett on guitar, not Gilmour. While Gilmour claims that some of his overdubs were added later Parker says there is no written evidence in the record to support this and there is no question that the version used on the album is the August '67 take. In a 1993 interview Dave would confirm Syd plays a bit on Set the Controls but still maintains he also is on there via later overdubs. Parker says the records do not show this but admits records aren't always perfect! Either way, the song is dominated by the main riff and would again be much better on future live versions.

"Corporal Clegg" is the closest the band would get to the Piper sound with its harmonies and kazoo parts but it clearly shows a different thought process happening lyrically. There is some fine guitar work here by Gilmour and a Beatle psychedelic feeling at the end with the effects. The title track "Saucerful" is the only composition here written by the entire new band and is a source of disagreement among fans. As the longest track at 12 minutes it either makes or breaks the album for you. It features spooky sounding dissonant weirdness for the majority of the song. Some see it as incredibly boring and uneventful; others find the progressions and the bit of melody late in the piece promising. Nick Mason believes the song is one of the "most coherent pieces" they ever did. He and Roger carefully planned the piece out on paper and there was a real spirit of cooperation and constructive work ethic in the studio. This makes complete sense because the band needed to prove themselves in a hurry-no one really thought they had a shot without Barrett. One person who wasn't that happy was Norman Smith. After Barrett's departure he figured the boys would settle down and make some music that was more conventional, instead he wound up working on Saucerful which he called "rubbish." But while Mason thinks this studio version is great I think most fans would probably say that future live versions are a big improvement as the band had time to develop it substantially. Rolling Stone agreed saying "the group and particularly Wright have achieved a complexity and depth, building nuances into the main line of the music, far beyond what is on the studio version or Ummagumma." Other members of the press were not so kind calling it long, boring, and uninventive.

"See Saw" is another lovely psych pop moment by Wright which sounds incredibly corny and melodramatic but features nice harmonies and string arrangements. The working title of "See Saw" in the studio was "The Most Boring Song I've Ever Heard Bar 2" which likely means Rick was getting some good natured ribbing over this track. Around 1990 Wright said he considered his two songs "an embarrassment" with "appalling" lyrics and that he had not listened to them since recording them. I think he's being too hard on himself, they are decent enough flower-power pop songs even if out of line with where Waters and Gilmour were heading.

And then there is "Jugband Blues" the one track written by Barrett. It is surely far from Syd's best song but it is one in particular where the lyrics are more direct and biting than usual. It's an important song because it is almost a resignation letter, an open letter to the others indicating he was unhappy and that he knew quite well he was on the way out. Some of the more obvious lines have been quoted to death but to me two other parts are the most striking. First we have the line "And I'm grateful that you threw away my old shoes. And brought me here instead dressed in red" which I believe is sarcasm thanking the others for bailing on him (in advance) and for making him something he was clearly not. (also others have noted that red is a color that signifies human sacrifice for what that's worth.) I tend to think it's about the business making him act in a way that is uncomfortable for him. More biting is the sharp edge of the final two lines that tell me everything I need to know about Syd's departure from PF: "and what exactly is a dream. and what exactly is a joke." This is Syd's "middle finger salute" to Roger Waters in my opinion. There were two directions that PF could have taken. Syd's avant-garde, low-key, underground, counterculture band of artistic weirdness which he clearly wanted (the dream) or Roger's desire for big commercial success (the joke.) Any skepticism of this interpretation I had vanished by watching the video of the Jugband Blues performance on youtube, which hopefully will not be removed by the band. In it you'll see Syd singing and you'll note that Waters is just over his left shoulder. Syd is very still mouthing the words and staring straight ahead. At the end when he utters the last phrase "a joke" he turns to look right at Waters as the cameras fade. Pretty clever for someone who supposedly had no idea what was happening. Sure this is only my speculation but after all I have read on the subject it's certainly not a big stretch.

This is a unique sounding album because Gilmour had yet to assert himself much and Waters was mediocre at best in the musical sense. Wright had the most formal musical training and certainly he was needed here. If you'll notice when listening there are many parts of this album where Wright is actually the most active, impressive player. This is surely the most democratic band period the Floyd would manage, out from under Syd-control but not yet under Roger completely. The band would get the album finished and released by summer '68, while also touring extensively in Europe and the US throughout the period to introduce their new guitarist to the world. Watching some video of early Gilmour performances one can sense a certain relief in the band to be playing with a more dependable vocalist/guitarist. There were probably few bands as good at live gig crisis-management than early Floyd and the Doors, always having to be ready for whatever crisis Barrett and Morrison respectively would throw at them! The cover was the first of many Floyd album covers designed by Hipgnosis.

So how to rate Saucerful? An interesting and mostly good album that fans will surely want to own but not an essential album by any means. They would develop their sound and explore their most fiercely progressive directions over the next few albums before refining and moving to the next level in the 70s. Waters and Gilmour have both been dismissive at times of their pre-Meddle material but their fans know better. There is much there to enjoy despite the frustrations and dismissal of their creators

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - February 03 2012 at 06:37
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 22:47

In The Court Of The Crimson King
King Crimson

King Crimson In The Court Of The Crimson King album cover

“In The Court Of The Crimson King” has become not only one of the most important albums of King Crimson but also one of the quintessential albums that spawned the progressive rock movement. Often quoted as the birth of prog rock, the album certainly encompasses all of the characteristics of the genre: weird, jagged guitar licks, devastating drum time signatures that move outside the standard 4/4 rock signature, keyboards and mellotron pieces that balance the insanity, and all this punctuated by blazing blasts of saxophone that spiral out of control. In other words King Crimson at their best.

The influences of Jazz are prominent throughout and the band are so tight the music tends to punch holes within the fabric of the musicscapes. An example of this is in the awesome '21st Century Schizoid Man'. Greg Lake's vocals are processed through a vocal transposer that make him sound like some terrible alien machine that is telling mankind where he is going wrong; "Politician's funeral pyre, Innocents raped with Napalm Fire."The lyrics are as potent as the Crim's can be. The feeling of alienation and a barren soundscape are exemplified in the way the song is structured. During the lyrics, a sense of minimalism is produced, then the wall of sound kicks in. The incredible sax and Robert Fripp's screaming guitar complement each other brilliantly throughout the opening half, and then it slows down for a moment before the time signature changes completely and there is an erratic saxophone that locks in and continues while a strange lead guitar howls and reverberates. One of the best things about this section is the way the music seems slightly off kilter, almost out of tune but not quite. There are moments where all instruments cease at once, pause and then begin on cue only to stop again in various rhythm patterns. It is quintessential listening for anyone interested in progressive rock.

Following this maelstrom of sound, the album settles down into a very melancholy type of song, 'I Talk to the Wind'. This features Ian McDonald's woodwind and the soft vocals of Greg Lake. 'Epitath' is a great track that has been partly resurrected by Greg Lake on ELP's excellent live epic 'Welcome Back My Friends to the Show That Never Ends'. It has a symphonic component that is created with a heavy blend of mellotron, keyboards and vibes. The lyrics are thought provoking "the wall on which the prophets write is cracking at the seams, upon the instruments of death the sunlight brightly gleams, when every man is torn apart with nightmares and with dreams..." This is where prog rock got its reputation for thought provoking lyrics. The stanzas are confusing, though enlightening and the lyrics revitalise the music, rather than detract. The two cannot exist without the other and are of equal importance. Peter Sinfield was responsible for some of the most provocative lyrics of the prog movement and he is credited on this album for 'words and illumination'.

'Moonchild' is the longest track and almost a complete improvisation in the studio, recorded without forethought at times. The band improvise live and it has garnered their reputation for jazz fusion. 'The Court of The Crimson King' ends the album on a positive high note, although the album cover looks like the Crimson King is slowly being tortured to death. Lake's vocals have never been better, and there are amazing flourishes of sweeping keyboards that send a chill down the spine. The sound moves from intense to very soft in waves and all is complimented by a stirring lyrical content: "The black queen chants the funeral march, the cracked brass bells will ring, to summon back the fire witch in the court of the crimson king."

The album reflects many aspects of prog rock; a sound jazzed up with a fusion of heavy mellotron, and saxophone interlaced with jagged guitar rhythms. This album encompasses all that makes prog rock so enticing, and in a sense it captures all that made King Crimson one of the leading progressive masters, brilliant but flawed geniuses. 

God listened to "In the Court of the Crimson King" and saw that it was good. God divided Progressive Rock from the rest of the music.

I can't find other words to describe the first 100% progressive Rock album and the one that defined the genre, perfect album from start to end, goes from frenetic to symphonic in a matter of seconds, sadly King Crimson (In my humble opinion of course) never released any album that could even be near in quality or imagination to "In The Court of the Crimson King", but in their defense it was not an easy task.

"21st Century Schizoid Man (Including Mirrors)" is an absolutely frantic song, seems chaotic but it's perfect, the band expresses a sensation of frustration and anger that is transmitted to the listener, has abrupt changes, complex instrumentation and innovative sound, just what Progressive Rock means, brilliant.

"Talk to the Wind" is precisely the other side of the coin, starts with a soft flute by Ian Mc Donald and soon melts with Greg Lake's beautiful voice, seems simple, only a soft ballad, but it's more than that, mostly because of the way they combine the instruments, in a way that only some jazz virtuoso musicians did before.

"Epitaph" is a darker song with very obscure pessimistic lyrics, Lake's voice adapts perfectly to Fripp's guitar and the melancholic mellotron, a very atmospheric style that would be developed later by Gabriel's Genesis. Some people believe it's a sad ballad, but really is a very complex track that combines different rhythms and timing, also must say the percussion is brilliant.

"Moonchild" is the more jazz oriented track despite it keeps the Symphonic structure, starts calm and mellow with a very defined rhythm and a unique guitar work, in the first listen you can get the impression that we are before another tune in the vein of "I Talk to the Wind", but around the 3 minutes the fusion begins, nothing so complex and lack of logical structure had been done before, almost as if the band was in a jam session McDonald and Fripp are outstanding in this song.

"In the Court of the Crimson King, including The Return of the Fire Witch and the Dance of the Puppets" is an absolute masterpiece, lyrics are incredibly descriptive and combine perfectly with the music creating the medieval atmosphere, this song has everything, beauty, rhythm, complexity and lots of imagination, words are not capable of describing it, the perfect closer for a perfect album.

The great achievement of KING CRIMSON is that in their debut release they managed to create an album that has 5 absolutely different songs that show 5 different aspects of prog rock: aggression, calm, darkness, fusion and the closer that blends all this aspects and more in a 9:22 minutes track.

Many bands released progressive or semi-progressive albums before, some of them are outstanding, but no other work can define the genre and set the status so high as" In the Court of the Crimson King", the path is ready for other bands to follow, but what a job to reach the level of this masterpiece.

5 Stars seem poor for such an album, if you don't own it, your prog' collection is not complete.

A review by Conor Fynes:

Bill Bruford once said 'if you want to hear where music is going in the future, you put on a King Crimson album.' While this sounds a bit oddly self-serving coming from the drummer of the band, it is undeniably true. This album was working around with so many genres, some of which would not even come to fruition until a decade later.

There are few albums that still sound fresh years after they are put on the market, especially not from the realm of prog. Many prog albums from the 60s and 70s era have not aged well, to the point of the derogatory term 'dinosaur prog' being used in fair abundance. King Crimson's opus 'In The Court Of The Crimson King' however, demonstrates how fresh an album can remain if it has the right level of innovation in it.... and this album is in no short storage of innovation.

The album starts off with one of the heaviest songs of that generation, '21st Century Schizoid Man.' Never have I ever heard a song from the 1960s that sounded so heavy and 'metal.' From the first jazz-infused chords, it's clear that this is something special and an album worthy of it's praise. The tightness of the musicians is almost unparelleled, and despite such grim subject matter (a bleak, post-apocalyptic future) there still manages to be an energetic groove; especially in the middle, frantic section. To this day, '21st Century Schizoid Man' stands as being one of the most groundbreaking, landmark songs in all of rock music, and the obvious highlight to this already-superb album.

The two highlights of the album are the opener and closer; both classic tracks. It's easy to see why King Crimson is considered 'eclectic prog' from listening to this album. The aforementioned first track for example, delves into jazz-fusion and proto-metal, whereas the title track has a heavy symphonic influence. I would not want to be the guy entrusted to properly catalogue a band as diverse as this!

The only downside of the album is the second half of the song 'Moonchild.' While the three 'middle' tracks aren't quite as memorable as the two monsters, they are all beautiful and melodic, except for the second half of 'Moonchild,' which really hurts the flow of the album. After a very calming ballad progresses for a few minutes, the songwriting and composition breaks down into a random jam, which would have been fine except for the fact that the jam is too mellow to retain much real interest for the listener. It's more or less a few minutes of relative silence until the great closer. Disregarding this however, the album is fantastic.

'In The Court Of The Crimson King' is an album that every prog fan owes himself to listen to. A dominating contender for my favourite King Crimson album (only challenged by 'The Power to Believe.')

A progressive masterpiece, and King Crimson's quintessential work.

Hot Rats
Frank Zappa

Frank Zappa Hot Rats album cover

"Hot Rats" captures the genius of the man and begins with the delightful jazz rock of ‘Peaches en Regalia’ that is definitely quintessential Zappa. It features amazing guitar throughout and a melody that locks into the skull and stays there forever.

This is followed by the brilliant ‘Willie the Pimp’ with Zappa smoking up a storm on lead guitar, featuring some killer melodic phrases and fret melting lead hammering and speed picking. It is improvised in part and seems to make sense catering to the dissonant percussion and jazz domination of instruments competing against each other. It is the only track with vocals and they are well executed by iconic Captain Beefheart.

‘Son of Mr. Green Genes’ is another terrific instrumental and features Zappa's manic guitar and a strong rhythm driving it home. ‘Little Umbrellas’ has the marvellous saxophone sound of Underwood and a pulsating bassline. The dreamy sounds have an Eastern flavour and Ian Underwood's work on the organ is simply stunning on this track.

Later we hear the legends of violin prowess Sugar Cane Harris and Jean-Luc Ponty screeching and improvising on the lengthy jamming ‘Gumbo Variations’. This track is certainly complex and an incredible virtuoso performance with delicious guitar licks, Hammond and sporadic jazz drumming.

‘It Must Be A Camel’ finishes the album with jazzy percussive accents and wild piano melodies. Underwood's sax soloing is a work of art, allowing the music to breathe interweaving other instruments in the complex time sigs. It is something that only Zappa could pull off.

Overall this is the place to start for Zappa, he restrains the zaniness and crude language, opting for allowing the music to speak for itself, and it is all the better for it.

A review by Sean Trane:

Boiling Rats

Presented as Frank's first solo album, this is Chapter one of his explorations of jazz-rock (this is relative, because he had dabbled into the future genre in his previous albums, including King Kong on Uncle Meat) but also the pinnacle of his career. This is a solo album, not a Mothers album, although you'd have a hard time telling it apart, only that it is less goofy and parodic and more instrumental and musically focused. Playing on the album are Ponty, Underwood, and Guerin (among others), while Van "Beefheart" Vliet is singing on a track.

Opening on the amazing Peaches En Regalia, but it is the amazing Willie The Pimp that is THE classic of the album, with Don Van Vliet singing raunchily and a wild Zappa guitar solo. Green Genes features Underwood's wind instruments (multi-tracked) and Zappa's guitars again, but also that same Underwood on keyboards as well. An outstanding side of vinyl.

The flipside opens with the shorter jazzy Little Umbrellas instrumental, perhaps the "parent pauvre" of Hot Rats, but the 17-mins Gumbo Variations of pure bliss, especially if you're a fan of solos. Flabbergastingly awesome stuff. The closing Camel piece is the most difficult track of the album, the one closest to dissonant avant-garde music; but this is so very light. Another excellent track.

Every one of these numbers here are a classic but Peaches and Gumbo come out, and Don Beefheart Van Vliet's contributions to Pimp makes this album a gem. Coming with that pink pool shot artwork, this is THE Zappa reference, beit from progheads or the average John Doe and Willie Pimp. One of the main reasons for this album's high tenure is that it is mainly instrumental, thus putting the emphasis on the music and it isn't ruined by Francesco's whacked-out humoristic sketches, although there is still a lot of humour left in the music.

A review by Mellotron Storm:

This was Frank's first record without THE MOTHERS and he dedicated it to Dweezil, Bub and Gil. The first song "Peaches En Regalia" is such an amazing instrumental! Horned instruments are the focus such as sax, clarinet and flute. Amazing song! "Willie The Pimp" is where Frank's humour comes out, with CAPTAIN BEEFHEART's gruff vocals suiting this catchy, melodic song so well. The song turns into this long, extended jam-fest with Sugar Cane Harris on violin and Zappa showing how great of a guitar player he is, as he just plays and plays. Great solo!

"Son Of Mr.Green Genes" is a jazzy instrumental with another terrific solo from Frank, as well as some xylophone and some great interplay. "Little Umbrellas" may be the shortest song on the record, but it's a classic, with lots of horn melodies that are arranged beautifully. "The Gumbo Variations" features some fantastic sax melodies to begin with followed by some great violin from Sugar Cane Harris and then Zappa comes in with some guitar before they all chime in to end the song. "It Must Be A Camel" opens with light drums, piano and horns,eventually Jean-Luc Ponty comes in with his violin. This is a must have for all who are into prog.The music here is outstanding!

A review by Warthur:

As one of the first musicians to experiment with fusing jazz and rock - coming from a rock direction just as the likes of Miles Davis and Tony Williams were approaching the idea from a jazz direction - it was only a matter of time before Frank Zappa tried his hand at an all-fusion album. Showcasing both his own guitar technique and the multi-instrumental capabilities of Ian Underwood, Hot Rats is the tour de force which proved that Zappa was still a major progressive figure despite the breakup of the original Mothers of Invention.

Captain Beefheart pops in to deliver a furious vocal performance on the jazz-blues-rock meld of Willie the Pimp - the sole composition with vocals - whilst Zappa, Underwood, and the assembled musicians make full use of 16-track recording technologies to create dense, layered labyrinths of sound over the entire album. Standout tracks include Son of Mr Green Genes, a rich vein of improvisation structured around a song originally appearing on Uncle Meat, and the epic Gumbo Variations, but every single song on the album is a furious, blinding sample of Zappa's hot new sound. Five stars. 

In a Silent Way
Miles Davis

Miles Davis In a Silent Way album cover

"In A Silent Way" is a jazz fusion paradise featuring Davis at his absolute best. In many ways this is his most accessible and most highly revered album. The lengthy compositions are really improvised jazz sessions that are interwoven with dark and light tapestries of sound.  

Side one is driven by a glorious jazz beat and grinding Hammond, with some absolutely exquisite guitar work. It feels improvised but always has a direction and gets there. Along the journey there are wonderful sounds such as the hi hat work and of course Davis’ soulful trumpet.

Side two is the dreamier side that soon breaks into jazz patterns and musical shapes of incredible complexity and beauty. It is music created to generate moods. The main thematic point seems to be competing musicianship and allowing the artists to take off on their instruments. At one point we are lulled off to sleep with dreamy trumpets and chiming keyboards. Then the thunderous percussion kicks in and takes on a jazz excursion into dynamic soundscapes.

This, along with "Bitches Brew", is certainly one of the Miles Davis albums that will resonate with many prog listeners in comparison to some of his other less progressive albums.  

A review by Conor Fynes:

The musical excellence of Miles Davis' work aside, there is no denying that he has greatly shaped and influenced the way music has developed over the course of the 20th century. With 'In A Silent Way', Miles Davis added yet another dimension to his musical canon; that of 'fusion', which this album is widely regarded to have pioneered. Its historical relevance aside, there are some incredible things going on with 'In A Silent Way'. Assembling one of the greatest lineups that jazz has ever seen (including Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock), 'In A Silent Way' may not be as perfect as an album like 'Kind Of Blue', but as the vanguard for another era in Davis' career, the album is incredibly powerful, and rightfully deemed one of the most influential albums in the genre.

By 'fusion', this means that Miles Davis was beginning to incorporate increasing amounts of electric instruments into his sound. He brings this sound forth through two long jams, each encompassing one vinyl side. The first of these is 'Shhh/Peaceful', a fairly light meddle through electric guitars and some trumpet work. Over the course of the song, things gradually build, but the real focus is on the musicianship and chemistry between the band members, rather than any focused composition. The real highlight to the album however is in the second track, the title piece. The majority of the second track revolves around an eerie idea that gets developed upon as the blissful jam ensues, working out into a jazzy freakout from Davis himself, backed by chilled drums and nice keyboard grooves. After that, there is a very quiet reprise, featuring some ambient guitars and celestial keyboard flourishes. By the end, everything is made out to be the soundtrack to some beach sunset, relaxing and carefree. 'In A Silent Way' ends leaving the listener in a state of total calm.

The album sports some incredible work with rhythms and composition in the second half, and while the first half is not nearly as memorable, 'In A Silent Way' is made excellent throughout due to its brilliant musicianship. John McLaughlin features some of the warmest clean guitar tones I have ever heard in a recording, and the keyboardists Corea and Hancock- while not getting much room to show their skills here- really compliment the sound. The best way for me to describe 'In A Silent Way' would be to invent the term 'dream fusion'; especially in the way the keyboards are meant to scale up and down quietly over peaceful leads, everything is made out to be very surreal, and the effect of that is something that only musicians as good as these could make. A bit of a weaker first half, but 'In A Silent Way' remains an excellent piece of early jazz fusion.

A review by dreadpirateroberts:

In a Silent Way creeps up on you.

I don't mind of course, but it can be a surprise to sit and force your ears to seek out everything that's going on, rather than let yourself be swept along by the music (which is certainly an enjoyable experience too), and realise that it's a busy album at times. Just not busy like 'Bitches Brew.' 

This record has that subtle build, with refrain-like moments of stillness or delicacy. For forty minutes too, it can seem like a long album. It's hypnotic, the way that, in 'Shhh/Peaceful' for instance, Williams is just a machine on those hi-hats! He just keeps building things, varying his strokes, sure, but keeping a constant pulse. And perhaps because you have to wait for it a long time, because you're taken through measured soloing from Miles, Shorter and McLaughlin and an almost constant swelling and receding of ethereal keys, when it fades out after nearly twenty minutes, all that energy, rather than explode (as it does later) is released in an almost anti-climactic sigh when John's guitar plays those gentle lines at the beginning of 'In a Silent Way.' 

Then Miles sneaks in to the track and after that first four minutes goes by, we get a kind of sharp edit as a cymbal crashes in to signify the beginning of 'It's About that Time' and suddenly everyone is getting aggressive. Williams is setting the pulse once more and at around ten minutes in, there's a kind of feint, where the rhythm section plays THAT riff. 

But then they ease off again.

And suddenly it's been around thirty minutes and you're still waiting for them to cut loose. The riff comes back, then all of a sudden Williams hits harder and everyone catches up to him, filling out the space in a wonderful moment of release. Then true to form, things quieten down for the coda, with sprinkles of keyboard from the awesome trio of Corea, Hancock and Zawinul.

Truly a fusion classic. No way I can bring myself to rate this lower than five stars. For those interested in hearing an important step in the beginnings of the fusion genre, this is a must. 

As an important side note, the role of Teo Macero, which would become ever more significant in future Davis albums, should not be overlooked here. His conceptual ideas and editing technique is clearly an important part of 'In a Silent Way' and perhaps among the more progressive moments in Jazz, overseen, no doubt, by a gleeful Miles.

Uncle Meat
Frank Zappa

Frank Zappa Uncle Meat album cover

A review by Zombywoof ( a Zappa superfan):

This is a rather hard album to review, as any Zappa album is, due to the sheer scope and ambition involved from the MOI itself and the demand it places upon the casual listener or even the music connoisseur. In short, Frank Zappa requires you to be a bit of a fanatic and must be listened to with a 'jump in with both feet' mentality.

"Uncle Meat" marks an important part in Zappa's history as it is the last record to feature the original Mothers in full swing ("Weasels Ripped My Flesh" and "Burnt Weeny Sandwich" were considered posthumous releases, as they were mostly comprised of outtakes, not new material). Also, it is the debut of Ruth Underwood on vibes (then Ruth Komanoff), who later became a featured member of Frank's ensembles into the mid-70's. In addition, it marked the first time that good ole Uncle Frank began breaking heavily into the realms of classical and jazz, while still retaining the heavy rhythm and blues and doo wop styles of the earlier records. Lyrically, this album is dense and full of inside jokes and references, sandwiched in between passages graced with trumpets, clarinets, and saxophones. As Frank himself states in the liner notes on the double LP gatefold, this is primarily an instrumental record and meant to serve as a soundtrack to a movie that The Mothers had not yet acquired the money to finish. Although I've never seen the film, I'm sure it is as just as surreal, dense, and off-kilter as the music heard on the album.

But on to the music. The opener, "Uncle Meat: Main Theme" is a vibe-led instrumental, backed by harpsichord and some snare work from Jimmy Carl Black (yes, the Indian of the Group!!), with some instruments that can't be identified (I'm not kidding ... look it up!), ending with some of Frank's sound effects and leading into a conversation with Susie Creamcheese, who explains her absence from the last two records and adds to FZ's "conceptual continuity", immediately segueing into "9 Types of Industrial Cheese", a rare glimpse into Frank's acoustic guitar stylings. Next, is the quirky "Zolar Czakl", an oddly metered, entirely indescribable piece of music that ends in a brief 45 seconds, before moving onto the screaming sax doo-wop of "Dog Breath, in the Year of the Plague", which is genre-defying in it's own way, breaking into some high-pitched vocals, and into some heavy classical in the middle section. As I'm sure you can tell, the music is utterly stunning and completely unlike anything heard before, either by contemporary music or Frank himself.

"The Legend of the Golden Arches" is a Frank Zappa classic, played for years by the man himself in various lineups, even by his Ensemble Modern. The mid-section is where the "Meat" is; Ian Underwood's screaming clarinet is out of this world and full of some of the most passionate playing on a Frank Zappa album ever, before breaking into some harpsichord dissonance. The album slows down a bit with "Louie Louie", which provides some laughs as the Mothers distort the classic at The Royal Albert Hall, before moving onto "The Dog Breath Variations", one of Zappa's favourite compositions. Instrumentally speaking, it’s more of the same, but the music is unbelievable. You must buy this to understand just how unique this is! "Sleeping in a Jar" is The Mothers at their most haunting, with a distant trumpet-sound soloing above - again under 45 seconds.

After some more talking, the music moves onto "The Uncle Meat Variations", with more harpsichord and some munchkin voices. Hilarious and brilliant at the same time, this is my favourite composition of the album, which breaks into a guitar solo near the end and ends in an epic way. Very, very cool. "Electric Aunt Jemima" is more surrealism and high voices, and is a bit of a novelty song, admittedly, but has some trademark Zappa experimentation throughout. I once heard this song at a used vinyl place in Pittsburgh and it made my day. I absolutely love it. After some hilarious banter, "Prelude to King Kong" bursts from your speakers with some fast paced avant jazz from Ian Underwood on sax. After "God Bless America" at its most dissonant (more conceptual continuity), there is some scattered percussion, not unlike Gong's "Percolations" and moving onto "A Pound for a Brown", which is a faster-paced version of "Golden Arches" with some differences in instrumentation.

Ian Underwood, (the Straight Member of the Group) whips out a sax solo next, before the album moves onto the original version of "Mr Green Genes". More surrealism and lyrics relating to food (not unlike "Call Any Vegetable" and "Duke of Prunes") with some really nice vibe work and trumpets, along with some doo-wop vocals. The overall effect is surprisingly calming ... I can't help but smile when listening. The ending is strong and pseudo-epic, but effective. I like it a lot. After some more talking, (including Jimmy Carl Black complaining about not getting paid!), we move onto some straight doo-wop, right out of "Ruben and the Jets", "The Air", is very good doo-wop and very enjoyable. It’s no wonder Frank loved this type of music; I can see why when I hear his version of it! "Project X" is some excellent avant garde, before leading into some really chill-inducing music. "Cruisin' For Burgers" is weird, very surreal, and beautiful ... some of my favorite Mothers' music ever. And to think, all of this creativity and not an ounce of drugs involved. It’s amazing and ends Side 3 perfectly, before moving onto Side 4... Side 4 is the subject of another Frank Zappa classic, the 18 minute jazz odyssey, "King Kong". In many ways, it’s as threatening and monstrous as its namesake, with a bombastic head, leading to numerous solos from within the band. Everything is covered here: there's another Underwood solo, a Don Preston electric piano solo, and something that almost sounds like an electric kazoo! The whole thing comes to a thrilling conclusion in a live performance where the band rocks out "on a flat bed diesel in the middle of a race track at a Miami Pop Festival" and comes apart at the end. It doesn't end ... it falls apart, like the great beast himself, shot from the Empire State Building, very much a way to describe the end of the mammoth double set itself.

Overall, "Uncle Meat" is a challenging, eclectic listen, full of lots of twists and turns, that leave an involved listener on the edge of his or her seat, and out of breath at the end. The experience is unique to say the least and unforgettable. It’s an experience that I am happy to return to, time and time again, and feel is essential to any Prog lover's collection, and certainly an album that no self-respecting Zappa fan can be without.

Stand Up
Jethro Tull

Jethro Tull Stand Up album cover

Jethro Tull's much celebrated 1969 album is one of the early examples of progressive creativity. Some of the material contained herein has become part of prog folklore, and standards in the Jethro Tull live set. It begins with that wonderful riff and blues feel of ‘A New Day Yesterday’, introducing the pallid vibrations of Ian Anderson's vocals, and his trilling flute. The guitar riff is killer, and there is even an accomplished lead guitar solo from Martin Barre that sounds psychedelic. Barre even contributes flute on ‘Jeffrey Goes To Leicester Square’ and ‘Reasons For Waiting’.

‘Bourée’ is one of the pieces that is much loved by Tullites as it is actually a reworking of Bach's ‘Bourée in E Minor’. As an instrumental it showcases Anderson's exuberant flute playing, and the bass solo of Glenn Cornick.

The wavering vocals of ‘Look Into The Sun’ are similar to the bleating vocals of Family's vocalist, however Anderson settles down the vocal gymnastics as the album continues. There are some quirky 60s things on the album such as ‘Back To The Family’ with choppy percussion by Clive Bunker.

‘Nothing Is Easy’ is one of the Tull classics, featuring scintillating flute playing and a strong melodic beat, as is ‘Fat Man’, another song that appears on countless compilations. The instrumental break on ‘Nothing Is Easy’ is a trade off between flute and lead guitar licks, a wonderful combination. The style exudes a sense of joy and good natured humour. ‘Fat Man’ has that wild tempo, balalaika, and incessant flute. It is repetitious but mesmirising and totally different to other Tull tracks.

There are quiet moments such as ‘We Used to Know’, the obligatory acoustic based song, but this has a wah-wah pedal driven spacey lead break. For sheer acoustic excellence there is ‘Reasons For Waiting’, with delightful flute interludes. The orchestra strings join in later and lift it to an epic romantic level.

The album ends with a rocker featuring many lead riffs and powerful flute playing at its best. ‘For a Thousand Mothers’ has some excellent playing, the drums crash like jazz free form, and the breaks in tempo are jarring.

The album introduced the amazing talents of Martin Barre who would stay with Anderson from here on in, and it represents an era when prog was in its infancy, and Tull were one of the undisputed pioneers. 

A review by Sean Trane:

This album will always hold a special place in my life, being my very first exposure to rock music at the tender age of 5, my father having bought the album on the strength of Bourée, but the whole album was spinning often in the living room, with yours truly being truly fascinated by the superb artwork and its gatefold pop-up. Gone is Mick Abrahams to found Blodwyn Pig, and in comes the ever-present Martin Barre who is still today with the band.

There is not one weak track on this little baby. "Look into the sun", "Nothing is easy", "We used to know", "Thousand mothers", etc... As M. Abrahams left for Blodwyn Pig (a band I hope to see soon on this site) Ian had more space to develop his style and did he take advantage of it. Best known for Bourée, and often probably over-looked because of it, this album is incredibly tight and every number on it is a gem. My only regret is that they did not make another one like it before moving on. Every track is a real gem on here and choosing the better will make me select every single track here.

A New Day is a real dapper introduction, but the second number dedicated to Jeffrey and Fatman are the premises of the folk direction present in all future albums. Bourée is actually a duo of flute. We Used To Know has the best guitar solo on a Tull album, Reasons For Waiting is the first example of Tull utilising an orchestra and is it ever well done!!

The remastered version of the album holds four bonus tracks, three of which were released on singles but not available in an album before the Living In The Past collection. The LITP single is easily one of the highlights of Tull's career and its 5/4 beat for a single was revolutionary at the time. Driving Song would actually have been more fitting on their Benefit album, but since it was released before Stand Up... As for Sweet Dreams, it came two months after the album's release and boasts some brass section, a string section and intricate arrangements. The fourth track, 17, is a weird rarely made-available track that sticks out a bit too much out of context of the album, unlike the first three tracks. This slight flaw does not manage to dent this album's importance and the fact that it is absolutely essential to understanding the advent of prog.

A new "Legacy" version appeared in 2010 (I know, we're not on the Columbia label, but anyway) with the same bonus tracks as the previous remaster plus a few unneeded ditties, but with the other two discs consisting of that famous 1970 Carnegie Hall concert, whose partial release on the Living In The Past (side 3) dates from almost four decades. A very fun concert filled with Anderson's quite-funny in-between-song banter to allow himself to catch his breath. I'd have made this a two-disc Cd+DVD-A affair, since the DVD disc hold the same material (despite a few neat enhancement tricks and a video interview) as the second (redundant) CD does. I still think the Mini-Lp version pays a better tribute to the original album, despite a few excellent previously-unseen pictures in this updated booklet.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - February 07 2012 at 07:26
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 01:41
A temporary diversion...

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

1981 better have Deceit

Oops missed that - not enough interest here unfortunately to get on the list that is already jammed up.

What? But you got place for every Peter Gabriel pop album, Camel live from 1993 Marbles live, Operation Livecrime + tons of other live albums either by bands way past their period as relevant, or released 30 years after it was recorded. 

Fun for diehard fans but completely inessential.

I find the 80s lists that I've perused (haven't looked beyond that yet) partricularly unsatisfying from a personal standpoint.  It is an amazingly fertlile time for RIO/Avant category kinds of music.  I think the whole exercise quite futile, though, since there is such variety in PA, and so many different tastes, that even trying to come up with such a list where every one of us should hear all of them is misguided (I know that the title references popularly used titles eleswhere).  The best one can do is to try to keep it as well balanced as possible in terms of variety of styles -- a diverse list that focuses on the well-known and obscure and tries to represent as many styles of music under the Prog umbrellas as possible.  That said, I'm not a fan of Prog per se.  I do like a lot of music included in PA's Prog umbrella, and a lot that is not yet, but would be considerable, but I'm more of a progressive music fan and fan of music that relates to music in various categories here.

If I were to try to do such a list, I would only include ones that I know and like, and not research to see what is popular, but then I wouldn't attempt such an exercise.  Not really sure that I'd consider this a blog either, unless you are sharing your thoughts and experiences with all of the albums, or emphasising your opinion on topics relating to that.  I think of this as more of a Top Tens and Lists type of topic.

PS. No Wakhevitch in the list, and only one Art Zoyd album that I saw, for shame. ;)

Thanks for that

Yeah its becoming more of a blog now that I have finished the initial list as a stimulus or discussion. And I intend to go back and write thoughts on each of the albums - after I have heard them. That is coming later.

or now I need a rest - that took me 4 solid days to compile. 

I appreciate all the effort you've made. That's a hell of a lot of work you've put into this.  Perhaps, if you haven't done so already, you might consider making a blog website utilising this and other similar topics you've done.  Adding your reviews makes this personal, and good job with that.

I do agree with Infocat that including lots of albums by the same band is maybe, from my perspective, not the best approach, as well as including many live albums and recorded material that was released much later, but it's your baby to handle as befits your own methodology, and any observations I make are just my personal thoughts and not meant to say that you should do things differently.  I think that I have more than 1000 albums by different artists/ bands in my collection well worth listening to, but then I wouldn't expect most people at PA to like most of what I like, so not really recommendable en masse to the masses to say the least.

Incidentally, this is no criticism of you and just a  tangent, but I just wish it was more common practice, when dealing with, say studio or live albums that were released much later than when they were recorded, I would rather they be categorised more by years of recording than by release date.  That's not always the best approach, but if I see, say, an album that was recorded in 1978, but released in 2009, I find 1978 to be the better main reference point. I will still think of it as a 1978 album even if it wasn't released until much later.  That gets complex when material is compiled from different years, and I understand the reasons for a standardised methodology which is common by using release rather than recorded date.  it's common, for instance, for a lot of albums not to be released until the year after they they were recorded, for instance (mixing/ production, marketing etc.).

Back to your reviews.... :)
Parallax Sounds View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 07:14
Brian Ellis (of Astra) album is called "Quipu".
Causa Sui discography: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Causa+Sui  I think "Pewt'r Sessions 1" is probably the most prog along with "Pewt'r Sessions 2" both came out in 2011. But they started releasing stuff from 2005 onwards. Causa Sui got great reviews in Classic Rock Prog, Q, Mojo and more..
Another important thing is that you must have some Julian Cope in the list, afterall he has done alot of prog/krautrock stuff and even written books about the genre. He also well known now for reviewing prog albums, he even reviewed Causa Sui saying it was a masterpiece. Anyway, theres lots of information out there, i'm not going to do all the work for you, thats your job and it's your baby. Best of luck! It's good so far :)
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 07:24
What no Julian Cope???? Are you mad???? I for one would not take this list seriously without having any Julian Cope in there.
Moody Blues - In Search Of The Last Chord was i think an amazing album but the write up is so negative, the same with Pink Floyd's - Saucerful Of Secrets", who writes these write ups??
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 08:37
Originally posted by Parallax Sounds Parallax Sounds wrote:

What no Julian Cope???? Are you mad???? I for one would not take this list seriously without having any Julian Cope in there.
Moody Blues - In Search Of The Last Chord was i think an amazing album but the write up is so negative, the same with Pink Floyd's - Saucerful Of Secrets", who writes these write ups?? 

Honestly I don't care about Julian Cope (except for his Head Heritage website), but other than that I agree. I haven't checked but I'm guessing all the reviews are topicstarters own, and what he thinks about these albums. 

I'm no stoner, but love Saucerful... (all of it). And I don't see in what way Miles Smiles is jazzfusion. Its just jazz, isn't it? I do however think of Miles In The Sky as a fusion album (and later released stuff recorded 67/68 found on Water Babies and Directions).

Btw: At RYM Deceit is the no. 4 album of 1981 with almost 2000 ratings(!) while Marbles Live is in at no. 345 with 49 ratings for 2005 (just an example). Is popularity at PA is the only reason for inclusion or exclusion? Then this list will obviously end up looking weird.

Sorry about all this complaining. I know you invested a lot of time making this, but I'd really like it if you reconsidered the inclusion of: 

- pop albums by former prog artists 
- any obscure live album of bands and artists you're a fan of (of course some live releases are essential classics.     Most here are not). 
- later albums by groups that sounds like a weak copy of themselves (=Yes mm..).

Because that's just bad advice.

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 08:50
Head Heritage is an awesome site but Julian has done some good albums that should be in this list.

Weird seeing David Sylvian and Dead Can Dance in this list but i do love both artists. And fairplay for adding Talk Talk in your list. Talk Talk are geniuses! :)
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 09:02

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

^For an essential band, I've never heard of them!

Overall a very good list. Obviously I'll disagree with some, as will everyone, but I feel that not including any Isis albums is a terrible mistake, Panoptican and/or Wavering Radient in particular are glaring omissions from the list. And most of the live albums could be done away with as well, unless they really do add something different.

Hey I can add some Isis or other - just let me know exact name of album and year (Panopticon?) - and I am happy to add - as I stated earlier there are some omissions and I want to add these so it is a better list so thanks for any help you can offer.

I can look them up AND then FIX THE LIST.

Isis Panoptican is from 2004 and as one of the defining albums of the Post Metal sub genre really does belong here. Can I also suggest adding the hugely influential Mnadylion album from The Gathering (1995) if for nothing else it introduced Anneke van Giersbergen to the world, you may also want to add their 99 album How to Measure a Planet?, which is more prog than Mandylion, but maybe not as essential.

Also, as one of the earlier Prog Metal bands, Vanden Plas deserves a spot on here as well (97's The God Thing gets my vote).

It's hard not to just suggest all of my personal favorites for inclusion!LOL
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 09:07

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I love that you made this list, and I think you did a great job. I can agree with others who say most of the live albums can be omitted, and maybe add a couple that you missed (mostly in the late 90s/2000s).

Maybe have 1-2 live albums for each decade. Or maybe have the 1001 albums list, then a separate list with 101 live albums. Yes, a hundred and one.

Nice idea - I have 74 albums on the list and thought that was enough to add. The late 90s was a prolific time of prog and thats where I had the most trouble and indeed during the 00's but I am very happy with the extensive 70s prog album list as i was think it was the most important time for prog so deserved around 500 albums on the list.

I was almost going to omit all live albums - however I saw the other book "1001 Albums you must hear..." that's available and those editors added live albums in the mix so I am following in their steps so to speak. 

There are not many live albums added though in any case and tey are all 4 or 5 star albums as far as this site is concerned.

Just for my list i compiled a list of live albums to include and all made it to the list:

Live albums in the 1001 prog album list:

67 - live

Five Bridges Suite

150  - live

Emerson Lake & Palmer

194 - live

Yessongs 
Yes

195 - live

Space Ritual 
Hawkwind

196 – live

Genesis Live
Genesis

197 – live

Uriah Heep - Live
Uriah Heep

198 – live

Between Nothingness & Eternity 
Mahavishnu Orchestra

243 - live

Roxy & Elsewhere
Frank Zappa

244 - live

Barclay James Harvest Live
Barclay James Harvest

246 - live

Caravan & The New Symphonia 
Caravan

307 - live

Live/Hhaï (Köhntark)
Magma

308 – live

Ricochet
Tangerine Dream

355 - live

Live At Carnegie Hall
Renaissance

356 - live

Jane At Home Live
Jane

357 - live

All The World's A Stage
Rush

435 - live

Solar Music - Live
Grobschnitt

436 – live

A Live Record
Camel

437 – live

Two For The Show 
Kansas

438 – live

Zappa In New York
Frank Zappa

439 – live

Live - Bursting Out
Jethro Tull

440 – live

Vital
Van Der Graaf Generator

470 – live

Élö Omega Kisstadion '79
Omega

482 - live

Harmonium En Tournée
Harmonium

552 – live

You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 2
Frank Zappa

553 - live

The Thieving Magpie - La Gazza Ladra
Marillion

616 – live

The Great Deceiver: Live 1973 - 1974
King Crimson

792 - live

Live Scenes From New York
Dream Theater

849 - live

12:5
Pain Of Salvation

901 - live

Real Time
Van Der Graaf Generator

Of all the live albums you've got listed, I think only these ones could be considered essential as they all add something special.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 17:47
^ Some good suggestions all!
To include live albums separately in hindsight would have been easier or me as that part took double the time! But its done now and i am fairly happy I included all the important ones.

The live albums were chosen from top 3 of each year and some years did not receive any  - i thought it fair to include at least 2 from each year as they are an important part of the prog scene. Other albums requested to be on the list i must admit I have never heard of and because I am the only one editing i had noone to liaise with so apologies for omissions. But overall i received positive feedback - I found a space for 2 albums as i made an error with missing numbers - thanks to he who shall remain nameless for informing me.

If I had the time I could have had a team to help me but i wasnt that serious that I wanted to make this official - its really a labour of love but I would not mind having this list in a book with all the reviews etc. Even if for my own personal use if nothing else. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 17:54

Originally posted by Parallax Sounds Parallax Sounds wrote:

Who writes them? I doLOL - I am trying to be as impartial as i can be but I am the only one reviewing these, as I cant use anyone elses review on my own blog. But I am not going to like all of the albums just because they made the list, and others like them. Overall I love all the albums thus far reviewed but occasionally I come across one and think this is just not doing it for me - Some are dated and dull but they are still important and deserve to be on the list for their sheer innovation and they are essential products of their time (ie Pink Floyd). Weird thing is I actually toned that down - you should the actual review on PA - I got some flack or that - however I love all the other Floyds, but I dont want to be a fan boy - if its not impressing me I will let the reader know.

Naturally music tastes vary and i cant help but be subjective. Its all opinion anyway. I noted in the 1001 albums book available the reviews are occasionally frustrating as the editors dont seem impressed with the albums and you wonder how the album got in there. I will try in future though to keep negativity out of the reviews as it should be more of an overall viewpoint on albums and listeners can then make up their own minds. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 17:58

^For an essential band, I've never heard of them!

Overall a very good list. Obviously I'll disagree with some, as will everyone, but I feel that not including any Isis albums is a terrible mistake, Panoptican and/or Wavering Radient in particular are glaring omissions from the list. And most of the live albums could be done away with as well, unless they really do add something different.

Hey I can add some Isis or other - just let me know exact name of album and year (Panopticon?) - and I am happy to add - as I stated earlier there are some omissions and I want to add these so it is a better list so thanks for any help you can offer.

I can look them up AND then FIX THE LIST.

Isis Panoptican is from 2004 and as one of the defining albums of the Post Metal sub genre really does belong here. Can I also suggest adding the hugely influential Mnadylion album from The Gathering (1995) if for nothing else it introduced Anneke van Giersbergen to the world, you may also want to add their 99 album How to Measure a Planet?, which is more prog than Mandylion, but maybe not as essential.

Also, as one of the earlier Prog Metal bands, Vanden Plas deserves a spot on here as well (97's The God Thing gets my vote).

It's hard not to just suggest all of my personal favorites for inclusion!LOL

So lets see i need to add

Julian Cope - where???????? what year? what album?
Isis Panoptican in 2004 - will check that
Mnadylion album from The Gathering (1995)

Vanden Plas are definitely on the list somewhere - i am sure i did not forget - cant remember where though.

Okay it may be possible as I am considering removing a live album here and there becasue in hindsight i think I added too many..LOL

I dont mind amending the list slightly here and there as thats the  fun part and i am learning as i go. Remember I am only one guy doing this but i appreciate the 'editing' assistance here.

The list is not finished yet - But after this year I will make no more ammendents so we have a year to get it right. Should be possible. The 70s lists will not change at all though - i am happy with those.

EDIT:

Mandylion is added!

I replaced Radiohead and was happy to do it - not even prog (ducks for cover)Shocked

Isis also added replacing live Arena who have enough here anyway.

Great now i will get on with more reviews. Listening to Colosseum now and its unbelievable! About to write a review on this masterpiece 

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - January 03 2012 at 18:29
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 18:04

Jean Louis
Jean Louis

Infernal Machina
Jannick Top

Inferno The Divine Comedy - part 1
Various Artists (Concept albums & Themed compilations)

Bantam To Behemoth
Birds And Buildings

Discesa agl'inferi d'un giovane amante
Il Bacio Della Medusa

Dark Shot
One Shot

Love Remains the Same
Von Hertzen Brothers

Sleeping In Traffic: Part Two
Beardfish

Diagonal
Diagonal

Traced In Air
Cynic

[Blomljud]
Moon Safari

Delusions
To-Mera

Pure
Pendragon

Watershed
Opeth

Ayreon

Insurgentes
Steven Wilson

919 - live

Live In Pennsylvania (2CD + DVD)
Le Orme

920 - live

Live
Spock's Beard

Well how about that - I missed album number 911

its a sign LOL

thanks to he who shall remain nameless for pointing that out! Also I had 2 entries under 876 and that will fix the numbering - must have had a brain freeze....

Keep posting comments - anything goes and i will never be offended as i appreciate all feedback

i know i dont know everything and i am learning more each day thanks to you guys,  through this blog,  which has now become my favourite place to come.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 18:10

1981 better have Deceit

Oops missed that - not enough interest here unfortunately to get on the list that is already jammed up.

This Heat  - Deceit  Masterpiece album from the 80's. Oh well, too late now. LOL 
Great job on this list though. Thumbs Up

Hey its not too late as this list is a work in progress and isnt even finished so i am happy to add but can you at least suggest what album it might replace - If I add an album i will always either remove a live album or an album in the same year - otherwise it will drive me out of my skull renumbering hundreds of  albumsLOL
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 18:13
Julian Cope - Jehovahkill (1992)
Julian Cope - Fried (1984)
Nearly any of his albums on Head Heritage Records.
Theres a few suggestions but Jehovahkill is a good one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 21>